Pork News

The Post Gets Action:

The day's not yet half gone and today's column is still on the newsstands and on the home page of the big web site, and already Aramark, the food service company that serves RFK Stadium for Washington Nationals games, has announced that it will add half-smokes, Washington's native street food, to the RFK menu by the end of this week.

A small victory, but hey, we'll take what we can get.

Marc Fisher

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 5, 2005; 1:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Those Amazin' Nats and Why They Should Be America's Team
Next: Mr. Sensitivity

Comments

Now can you get them to add those helmet sundaes? They've been promising them all year!

(But at least we can get a frozen lemonade now)

Posted by: Hmmm | July 5, 2005 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I heard endless excuses from the Aramark folks about how soft-serve is just so complicated because it involves refrigeration and storage issues, as well as drainage, which is a big problem at RFK. But the fact is that they had ice cream (and burritos and other interesting stuff) at RFK when it was a soccer-only stadium, yet somehow they can't get their act together to offer a major league range of options for baseball. Still, as you say, there have been improvements, and now with the half-smokes coming along, who are we to complain?

Posted by: Marc Fisher | July 5, 2005 2:58 PM | Report abuse

okay, what the heck is a half-smoke? some of us aren't, in RL, from the DC area. I'm just feeling a little left out here.....

Posted by: LP | July 5, 2005 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Half-smoked sausages. But you know? For the longest time, when I saw DC hot dog vendors advertising "half smokes," I thought the term referred to halves of packets of cigarettes -- I thought the idea was to make it possible for kids to buy cigarettes on an allowance. (You have to understand, I'm not from around these parts; I'm one of those transient, rootless types Marc was talking about earlier.)

Posted by: Achenfan | July 5, 2005 4:01 PM | Report abuse

now its becoming a little bit more clear. but, and please forgive my ignorance on this one, how do you only smoke half a sausage? and, you know, why? There's a good blog topic - wieners and the americans who love them. Up here in maine, they sell franks that have a red dye in them, popularly refered to as "red stingers." they are the most ungodly color. But people love them, for reasons I will never understand.

Posted by: LP | July 5, 2005 4:07 PM | Report abuse

It's all in the hyphenation.

Posted by: Tom fan | July 5, 2005 4:10 PM | Report abuse

They have no vegetarian selection like a bocaburger.

Posted by: fdg31 | July 5, 2005 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I love those Maine red-dyed dogs (I once covered an election in Denmark in which the ostensible subject of the vote was whether to join the European Community, but the real issue was whether those anal bureaucrats in Brussels would prohibit the Danes from selling and buying their beloved red-dyed hot dogs. To my utter joy, the Danes stood by their sausages.)

Posted by: Marc Fisher | July 5, 2005 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Half smokes are usually a combination of beef and pork, with some interesting spices.

I've taken to mixing pork and beef when I make chili. Somtimes just bacon for flavor, sometimes a pound of beef and a pound of pork...mmmm, I think I'm going to have to go home and make some this evening.

bc

Posted by: bc | July 5, 2005 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Marc-

You must know Weingarten.

You put "anal", "hot dogs", "sausages", and "bureaucrats" in a single blog comment.

Congrats.

bc

Posted by: bc | July 5, 2005 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I've heard the red dye had some cancel causing agents in it, which is banned in most of the US. Or, at least, that's what i tell people- maybe I made that up, I'm not really sure anymore. But the Danes have the red dogs too? wow! There's gotta be some sort of story there - how the red dog is passed on to Mainiacs from their Danish ancestors, despite the fact that they may kill you. I didn't think Maine had a particularly high concentration of Danish folks, tho.

Posted by: LP | July 5, 2005 4:50 PM | Report abuse

half-smokes, what next at RFK, kimchee ?

Posted by: nottamember | July 5, 2005 5:02 PM | Report abuse

that's cancer-causing - oops.

Posted by: LP | July 5, 2005 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Marc,

Why don't you have your own blog? You always have something to say. Also, will you ever have any kind words for RR? You lost a fan for a long time because of your mean-spirited comments when RR left to pursue heavenly trails. Okay, left he wasn't. Bye!

Posted by: FF | July 5, 2005 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Marc,

Posted by: FF | July 5, 2005 6:33 PM | Report abuse

One more comment--you said you and JA go back 30 years which means you met when he was 14? In junior-high?

Posted by: FF | July 5, 2005 6:39 PM | Report abuse

bring on the half-smokes! some of my fondest dc lunches consisted of half-smokes smothered in spicy mustard with a can of dr. pepper. all for two bucks - and while i'll pay more at rfk, it'll be worth it...

Posted by: ignignokt | July 5, 2005 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Half-smokes and Dr. Pepper! Excellent. Now if you can find a place that has half-smokes and Dr. Brown's Celray, we need to meet for lunch.

I am guilty of a rounding error on the Years with the Ache-man tally. We met in 1978, I think, which would mean we have known each other for 27 years. We met in college; it only felt like junior high.

Posted by: Marc Fisher | July 5, 2005 11:10 PM | Report abuse

That's okay, Mark. I've got your back. I knew him when he actually was in junior high.

Posted by: InvestiGator | July 5, 2005 11:31 PM | Report abuse

That's okay, Marc. I've got your back. I knew him when he actually was in junior high.

Posted by: InvestiGator | July 5, 2005 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I used to half a half-smoke every day for lunch behind the South Building of the USDA. It also was $2 for a can and a half-smoke...but if you walked a mere two blocks away to the mall, the vendors were selling the same stuff for $5. Of course, tourists never ordered the half-smoke, instead preferring a weak hot dog. Let's all hope the aramark rumor is true!

Posted by: edward | July 6, 2005 8:55 AM | Report abuse

edward, you need to have regular examinations for colon cancer from now until forever.

Eating aramark at RFK: it's the only legal gambling in DC.

Posted by: aramark | July 6, 2005 9:28 AM | Report abuse

T.G. for the comments section. Otherwise I'd still be thinking these half-smokes as tobacco rather than food.....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2005 11:11 AM | Report abuse

well, the USDA main cafeteria was shut down at least twice for sanitary violations while i worked there...not to mention the cockroach infested subbasement deli i occasionally ordered calzones from. so the vendor on the street hawking his half-smokes was probably less of a risk.

and yes, it's somewhat sad that the USDA cafeteria would have problems...

Posted by: edward | July 6, 2005 11:37 AM | Report abuse

To do true DC cuisine, Marriott would have to get a piece of the action. A Mighty Mo, wet fries (possibly problematic in a stadium venue), and an Orange Freeze (N.B. a Teen Twist might be offered as an alternative selection.

Re: the red dye. In December, those Hot Dogs w/ the Chicago Style Nuclear Waste Green Relish would be a perfect seasonal specialty.

Also, because of a recent ruling by the Korean Professional Baseball league, Kimchee might be prohibited because the appearance of Cabbage on the field is considered to be the introduction of an alien substance.

Posted by: Catcher50 | July 6, 2005 1:18 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: test | July 10, 2005 10:42 AM | Report abuse

i've tryed a hot half smoked sausage in maryland. Does anyone know a website or have a phone number so I could order some? I believe the ones I had in maryland were from a company called Briggs.

Posted by: eric | August 3, 2005 1:38 PM | Report abuse

thank you very much for your help. You guys 47363 rock, thanks again.

Posted by: Tuki Medaber | September 23, 2006 8:32 AM | Report abuse