Peter Jennings

We focus so much on style when we talk about the famous TV journalists. This one is too much of a cowboy, that one's too pompous. She's too icy. No one watches him anymore. She's the queen of mean. There are some who seem to be performing a role, vividly drawn if not entirely convincing. But what we forget when we do the style review is how much work it took to get to the top, and to stay at the top; how much shoe leather they wore out; how many times, long before they sat in a studio chair, they rode with a camera crew down a dusty road into the loneliest village on Earth. How many cigarettes they burned through waiting for the live shot at 3 in the morning.

When you read the obituary today of Peter Jennings, note the passage about his stint in Beruit:

"He was sent to the Middle East in 1969 to establish the first American television news bureau in the Arab world, and there he found his niche. For seven years, based in Beirut, he traveled to virtually every Arab country and built up a store of knowledge he would draw upon for years."

Seven years in Beirut is not a drive-by posting. This was a serious reporter. On ABC this morning, there's a kind of "family gathering" of ABC luminaries, paying tribute to Jennings, and what jumps out is just the sheer energy of the man. Jennings may not have been everyone's favorite, but he was a class act and a true journalistic thoroughbred. He had the energy to go all day and night through the terrors of 9/11 and its aftermatch. He worked around the clock on New Year's Eve 1999 to track the rollover to 2000 in each time zone in the world. Everyone in the industry seemed to know, back in April, that his prognosis offered no hope, that we'd never see him again on the air. Inevitably people will talk of the end of an era, though that era (three dominant evening newscasts) probably ended a long time ago. At the least we should acknowledge that we've lost a star reporter, and be grateful for his hard work.

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 8, 2005; 6:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joel-Be-Gone
Next: Surviving California

Comments

My biggest memory of Peter Jennings? He's who my Dad watched every night at 6PM, without fail, from the time I could first remember him watching the news. For me, Peter Jennnings was THE evening news.

Posted by: jw | August 8, 2005 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Same in my house. His lovely voice and professionalim will be deeply missed.

Posted by: Robin | August 8, 2005 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Peter Jennings was my first TV crush. Thanks to him, I actually enjoyed watching the news each night as a high school student. It was that education that helped me decide to come to Washington and work on policy issues.

And in addition to being the best-looking of the former "Big 3" three anchors, I always thought he was the most well-spoken and articulate.

I purchased a copy of his Y2K New Year's Eve broadcast, which is a great show. So I'll always have a little remembrance of Peter. Sigh. (Sorry for the sappiness.)

Posted by: Cubedweller | August 8, 2005 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Same here. It will be hard to find someone of the same caliber as Peter Jennings.

Posted by: Sara | August 8, 2005 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Easy on the eyes, easy on the ears...A Canadian class act with an innate journalistic talent.

Posted by: Izzy | August 8, 2005 9:15 AM | Report abuse

My parents instilled in me a love of news and learning through his 6 o'clock news. Nothing else really compares, especially in the NY/PA corridor of murder and mayhem TV news. It's really odd to grow up with someone as your source of what goes on around the world and to know they're not going to do that anymore.

Posted by: jamiedara | August 8, 2005 9:21 AM | Report abuse

We usually just turned on ABC from the beginning of the evening news, but every now and then, for no real reason, we would start off with NBC or CBS. By the end of the broadcast we were always back to Jennings. He was a journalist who made you believe he was giving you the news, not his opinion. My deepest sympathies to his loved ones and friends.

Posted by: bostonreader | August 8, 2005 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed Peter Jennings as well--was saddened to hear that he'd been diagnosed with lung cancer in April. I recall on September 11th, that my Mom was supposed to be on a plane to NYC that day, but the flight was of course cancelled. I was spending the day with my Dad and we were glued to Peter Jennings the entire day...he was certainly amazing.

Even enjoying him as I did, though, I didn't know about all of his background. I was reading an article this morning which said that he'd not finished high school, but just went right into reporting at age 16. Is this true? If so, wow. Shows how far one can get with just some guts and gumption. Maybe we need to get back to simpler times when the most important thing wasn't which Ivy League school you went to and what kind of luxury car you drive. We should go back to rewarding good old hard work and the patience to build up experience in your field. May God bless Mr. Jennings and the family and friends who will mourn the loss of a great man.

Posted by: Erica Snipes | August 8, 2005 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Erica - I think that, thankfully, in general it still is hard work, patience and integrity that gets rewarded. An education (which most of us get outside of the Ivy league) is still an essential foundation in most cases, but after that it's up to each individual to prove himself. There are exceptions to this, of course, but there always have been. The great thing still about America is that pedigrees (familial or educational) are not a requirement for success.

Posted by: bostonreader | August 8, 2005 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I grew up watching Peter Jennings and like others have said, had a crush on him. One memory I have of him was in 1980, when President Reagan had been shot. A report came through that Brady had been killed I believe, which was then retracted/changed. Peter Jennings turned on live tv to the newsroom and said something like, would someone check the facts and find out what is going on. His anger and emotion that day brought the entire weight of the situation down on the child that I was. He had an integrity and I always trusted his reporting. I'm not sure if that's because as a 9 year old I saw that outburst and his anger over reporting something incorrect or just watching him for so many years. For whatever the reason, I think journalism lost one of their best.

Posted by: Michelle McBride | August 8, 2005 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Michelle, that was Jennings' ABC colleague, the late Frank Reynolds, who did that.

Posted by: Peter | August 8, 2005 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Yet again an icon we all grew up with passes. I have found myself recalling the events of the past told from his anchor desk or reporting from here and there, and considering how much a "part of the family" that Peter was as we all sat and listened to him over the years. I grew up with him, and, at his passing, tend to realize as time moves on, it is the events that shape us all, and reminds us of the frailty of each one of us. I wish him godspeed to a better place.

Posted by: Matt Cromwell | August 8, 2005 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Peter Jennings was the Walter Cronkite of my generation. I grew up watching him - whether I wanted to or not - with my mother because World News Tonight came on before Jeopardy. As I grew older, I found myself automatically turning to ABC News and to Peter Jennings whenever something newsworthy drew my attention. Whether it was the first Iraq war, the falling of ther Berlin Wall, the death of John Kennedy Jr., 9-11, or the capture of Saddam, Peter was the one to turn to. He had a seriousness to him - on screen and in person - that alerted you to the fact that what he was reporting was something to take note of - something important. But he also had a human side that showed us all that it's ok to show emotion when there is pain and suffering. He was a powerhouse in the news business, dedicated, reliable, able to speak off the cuff like no one else, and one of the last truly serious journalists. And that's the way he was...

Posted by: Michael Tropp | August 8, 2005 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Folks, when a print guy like Joel writes so nicely about a TV guy, it speaks loudly to who that TV guy was.

If interested, broadcasters are talking about Peter here:

Posted by: Baggins | August 8, 2005 10:49 AM | Report abuse

My favorite memory of Jennings was the night of the 2000 election. It was the first time I had been glued to the TV set watching something other than sports in a long time. After the midnight hour passed and we realized it was going to be a long night, my roommates all went to bed and left me watching all night long.

Around 4am, I remember seeing Jennings sitting at the desk, shirt unbuttoned, tie loosened, obviously not reading from a script or teleprompter any longer. He sat there and was visibly tired, his hair no longer perfect, his makeup no longer mattered; it was a true moment on a night when so much was pomp and circumstance. And it was a moment that exemplified all that is human in those we hold on a different level. Some anchors would have left, or tried to remain statuesque; but Jennings realized that what mattered was not him any longer. He became as real as those still watching him.

Posted by: R. Brian Pinscher | August 8, 2005 11:25 AM | Report abuse

When I was a teen growing up, we had the local newspaper, we had a subscription to Newsweek magazine, and we had television news in our bungalow home in Bakersfield. I worked as a print journalist for several years at Lake Tahoe, before I moved to Silicon Valley and my father bought me my very own television set.

From then on, for television news, it was Peter Jennings all the time. I don't recall when Peter Jennings seeped into my consciousness--but I have strong memories of him delivering the news from London's anchor desk for years--as well as his reporting from many foreign locales.

I remember first admitting publicly my horrible crush on him (as several other posters have admitted to in this blog) when I was employed in a software firm in downtown Palo Alto. I think the crush was as much a result of Peter's elegance and comsummate professionalim, as it was the handsome good looks of the man himself. Dare I say that I married my husband, in small part, because he bears a passing resemblance to Peter Jennings?

Moreover, my devotion to Jennings and his newscast stemmed from the way Peter treated the people he interviewed, the kinds of questions he asked, as well as the way he asked them. Perhaps the one attribute that I found the most attractive was his insatiable curiosity over the years, evident in the broad range of stories broadcast on his program over the years.

And every so often, at the end of a story, I could see that Peter had been touched by the person in the story and his eyes would get misty. His genuine emotional connection to the news, though infrequent, was real.

Peter Jennings' announcement last April that he had lung cancer came as a shock. I knew how this story would end all too well, having seen my mother-in-law die from smoking-related lung cancer in 2002. But have no doubt, I missed Peter the very day he gave up his anchor chair. I grieve at today's news that tells us of Peter's passing. Peter was truly exceptional and had no equal.

Posted by: Linda Loomis | August 8, 2005 11:40 AM | Report abuse

We'll miss you, Sneaky Pete

Posted by: Ryan | August 8, 2005 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I usually watch CBS for the nightly news - have missed Cronkite since he retired too early, but stuck with the network. I grew to appreciate Peter Jennings in the last few years. He was an elegant writer and speaker - so smooth. Certainly not what you expect from a high school dropout - which was something he apparently regretted all his life. I was sort of shocked to realize he was 67 - he looked so much younger.

Odd that the last 3 network anchors are gone now.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 8, 2005 11:48 AM | Report abuse

What a shock - somehow I thought he'd make it.

About a year ago, I saw Jennings, Brokaw, and Rather speaking on a panel with Ken Auletta at the New Yorker festival. From the 3rd row, I had an excellent view of the proceedings, and it was a lively and cordial discussion. The other two men were dressed nicely, if a bit casually, and Peter Jennings showed up dapper and tanned in a beautiful suit. Ironically, he was the picture of masculine health.

I was struck by the respectful tone of the discussion, and the support that these three competitors showed one another (this was shortly after Rather's debacle re: Bush's military service). Such gentlemen - and real newsmen. With much of TV "news" being so cutthroat and ugly these days, watching the three anchors reflect upon their careers was like beholding the passing of an era, as one knew that soon all three would be gone from the airways. We just had no idea that less than a year later, Jennings would be gone for good. He will be sorely missed.

Posted by: dcnative | August 8, 2005 11:49 AM | Report abuse

It's a big loss, that's for sure.

Posted by: Andrew | August 8, 2005 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, how can I add to what has already been said so well by others, but I'll try.

Jennings was also my Walter Cronkite. Of course I heard about Cronkite growing up, but to me, evening news ALWAYS meant Peter Jennings. I don't remember ever watching anyone else (at least not for a whole show!)

I knew, of course, that he had lung cancer, and I suppose I knew that he would die. But, still I was shocked when my husband told me the news this morning. How can an icon (and yet a tremendously human icon) die like that?

It's just hard for me to believe that someone who I never met, but yet felt like a personal friend, could have died and just disappeared like that. No one will ever fill his shoes for me, although I hope that my daughter will have her own such experience.

Posted by: Hmm | August 8, 2005 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I can only echo what others have said - he was a true class act, and he will be sorely missed.

Posted by: Lucy | August 8, 2005 11:56 AM | Report abuse

When I arrived in this country some 35 years ago, I didn't know anything about the world or its issues. Although I watched Cronkite and learned of the news of the day, it was Jennings who educated me about the world and what was happening, particularly news about the Mideast, the Munich violence, the Berlin Wall, etc. etc. so much so I became passionate about the world we live in and have learned so much. Jennings was a natural and will be hard to replace. Thank you Peter, may the Heavens welcome you and learn from you!

Posted by: Sara | August 8, 2005 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Jennings truly was my generations Walter Cronkite. Granted I usually tend to watch NBC and was more used to watching Tom Brokaw, on 9/11 the TV in my office was on ABC. When Jennings' voice cracked while talking about speaking with his kids, while urging others to do the same, it clearly reminded me of Cronkite removing his glasses when he told the world that Pres. Kennedy was dead.

That moment, as small as it was, is what makes them human, and is what makes us connect with them and welcome them into our homes every evening over dinner. Hopefully the 3 networks will realize this in picking the replacements for the "Big 3".

Posted by: TulsaFan | August 8, 2005 12:18 PM | Report abuse

my parents always watched world news tonight with peter jennings without fail. and they still do, even though he's not there. mr. jennings will surely be missed.

Posted by: up | August 8, 2005 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I was at school in New York (up/midstate) on 9/11. My roommates and -- most of whom were from the city -- gathered around a tv and flipped back and forth between all the channels. We indulged in gallows humor at some of the broadcasters' expense as the day showed its wear and tear on them, because we were too scared to do anything else. None of us had cried yet. We were shuffling in from class and waking up from sleep and just staring, trying to make jokes.

But a few days later it had sunk in. We had lost a few students, some alumni, lots of parents, aunts, uncles, relations. We were still shocked, but now we were sad, too. We watched Peter Jennings' broadcast on the 15th about answering questions that kids had. Most of those questions, we had too. And when his voice cracked, we cried. He was the only newscaster who seemed real to us right then. I can never forget that moment in the blur of those days.

Posted by: Annie | August 8, 2005 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: R. Brian Pinscher | August 8, 2005 11:25 AM

Brian - I wonder if you remember a little later in the Election 2000 broadcast? It's truly my favorite Jennings moment. He had gotten "real" as you say, by about 4 am, but along about 5am Sam Donaldson got a second wind and was cranking up some passionate comment or other, and Mr. Jennings turned to him and more or less told him to knock it off, because it had been a very long night and no one was really interested in that kind of rhetoric at that hour of the morning. I just laughed - he was RIGHT, and as you say he was very real. That's probably the reason I always wanted to know what he had to say on any given situation. I felt as if he gave us the real story.

I will certainly miss him.

Posted by: Linda Cork | August 8, 2005 1:57 PM | Report abuse

My last real solid memory of Jennings is of him during the 2004 election, when Ohio had not yet been called-and wouldn't be calling for several more hours later. He was interviewing some Ohio republican Party flunkie who said "Of course, Fox News has already called Ohio for President Bush!" and Jennings just growls, "Is that a surprise?" or something simmilar. I loved how he wouldn't take BS from anyone.

Posted by: Robin | August 8, 2005 2:39 PM | Report abuse

If you were to design the ideal TV anchor, he'd probably come out looking alot like Jennings. Attractive, articulate, somewhat understated, knowledgable and warm. The best of the Big 3 has gone much too young.

Posted by: Randy | August 8, 2005 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Peter was one of my favorite newspersons.
I guess it's because we see you guys on TV
every single day. Anyway, when something
like this happens, it's like we lose a member of our own family. I mourn with
Peter's family. May God bless his soul and
help his family to come through this.

Posted by: Molly | August 8, 2005 3:18 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing to read how many other writers have said that they "grew up" with Peter Jennings, and how similar their story is to mine. I'm 39, and I remember my parents watching Peter Jennings every night. As I got older and started making my own TV viewing choices, I kept watching him. When I got married, my wife realized that 6:30 pm East Coast time was the time I got my news for the day, and she even agreed to hold off on telling me her news of the day until 7.

He indeed will be missed.

Posted by: Tim | August 8, 2005 3:23 PM | Report abuse

All of the network evening news content is pretty much the same, we always tuned to ABC because of Peter Jennings. I thought he would be back.

Posted by: LB | August 8, 2005 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I rarely write about celebrities or the deaths of notable people, but I have to say, I was saddened by this news of Peter Jenning's untimely passing. Even though we all probably knew it was coming when he announced his battle with cancer back in April, I think many of us hoped against hope that he'd be one of the rare few who would fight it and win.

Jennings had a level of grace and class that neither of his competitors--NBC's Tom Brokaw or CBS' Dan Rather--ever had. He was not only a professional, but a human being. Watching Jennings was comforting, even when the news was bad.

I can almost hear Jennings now...

"Good evening. We begin tonight at the Gates of Heaven. Behind me, Saint Peter holding the Book of Life and a chorus of angels proclaiming 'Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.' I've come to this place to meet with those who precede me and to embark on the next phase in my life journey...."

Thank you for making the news worth listening to and watching. Thank you for reporting the events of our nation and our world in credible, real, human terms. Thank you for making history as history was made.

Rest in peace, Peter Jennings.

Posted by: Janet | August 8, 2005 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Peter jennings was a true reporter. He was graceful and was only in this Class. No matter what I was watching when it was time for the " World News Tonight" I Changed TV Channel to ABC to listen to Peter Jennings. I am Sadden to hear the news of his death. May God give patience to his family.

He will be remembered always.

Posted by: Mohammad Akhtar | August 8, 2005 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Lindas, great rememberances.

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | August 8, 2005 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I'll always remember his personable way; that is, how he always wanted to try to get to know who it was who he was communicating with if he was speaking on-air with another party. Some how that caring about individuals has gotten lost in Broadcasting. Sometimes it was almost like a tea party chat with him, not a forced running over events that squeezed out the persons who made those events happen in the first place, or whose description of the events were very special. You can have one event seen through many different eyes in different ways, and Peter was somehow more able to analyze this for us, to better understand multiple, sometimes conflicting viewpoints.

I always tuned to his newscast, because I knew I'd never get the news shouted at me. Event violent events seemed very calmly analyzed under his watch. Ok, newscasters are you listening, and were you taking notes from him all those years?? I hope so!!!

Posted by: Rick B | August 8, 2005 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Dolphin Michael.

I have more than a casual interest in Peter Jennings's story because the inventor of television, Philo T. Farnsworth--is on my family tree. Farnsworth descends from two lines of Loomis, including the "Samuel" line, which is my line. The Loomises arrived in the Connecticut River Valley in 1639, and Samuel was their last child and youngest son.

I don't know how well Americans know Farnsworth's story of the development of television and the role tobacco played in it?

The Mormon farm boy---only 23-years-old---from Snake River Valley, Idaho, had been set up with limited financing in a small start-up company in a makeshift lab in a warehouse loft on Green Street in San Francisco. All his pushy backers wanted to see was the dollar sign and the color green. Phil delivered on his promise of a picture that could be seen.

When fiddling with his "Image Dissector" camera on a trial run, Phil and the camera captured the movement of smoke from a cigarette that Phil's brother-in-law Cliff Gardner had been smoking. It was at that moment that Phil knew that his brilliant and imaginative plans would work.

But Farnsworth, with tremendous intellectual gifts, seemed to be plagued by bad luck, the result of a clash of titans---Farnsworth, doggedly devoted to engineering and pure science, versus the partnership of Vladamir Zworykin and David Sarnoff. Farnsworth prevailed technologically and was awarded, in August 1930, patent 1,773,980 for his camera, and patent 1,773,981 for his receiver.

Over the course of the next 15 years, Farnsworth was outgunned by the East Coast corporate duo---outmaneuvered by their knowledge of investing, their wealth, their knowledge of patent law and licensing, and their slick, self-promotional marketing.

Worn out by sheer exhaustion and alcoholic depression, Farnsworth's weight, by World War II, had dropped to 100 pounds. He visited physicians. One prescribed addictive chloral hydrate, the other told him to smoke to calm his nerves. Farnsworth survived and was able to watch, on July 20, 1969, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the moon, the transmission coming from a miniaturized version of Phil's Image Dissector camera.

How very ironic that Peter Jennings would die of lung cancer when it was the smoke of a cigarette that enabled Farnsworth to be certain that his invention of television worked--successfully.

Jennings got his start in television in Canada when he was only 24, when TV was still in its relative infancy. Jenning's professionalism honored television--just as I hope the medium honors him this evening.

Posted by: Linda Loomis | August 8, 2005 7:50 PM | Report abuse

How amazing is it that someone without a highschool or college degree rose to his prominance in prime time television. I think it speaks volumes of his talent and his commitment to delivering the news in such a calm, professional, and BELIEVABLE, manner. Peter Jennings, you will be missed!

Posted by: Lynn L | August 8, 2005 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Could this be a rallying cry for stopping smoking? Let's be honest - the chain smoking killed him. We lose that fact. Millions of Americans could use this as an example of what will happen if you keep smoking. I've had family members pass away from lung cancer as well, directly related to smoking. They lived their final days in denial. While Petetr Jennings may have been a good journalist and a good person, the bottom line is that he made a choice. However sad that is, it is the truth.

Bottom line - let's use this as a rallying cry for stopping smoking.

Posted by: Chris | August 8, 2005 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Peter Jennings was a part of my family. Every night we would turn to him to get a better understanding of the world around us. I can safely say that Peter has played a major role in shaping my view of the world, and I would like to thank him for that. My prayers go out to all his family, and those who knew him. And May God Bless Peter Jennings Soul...

Posted by: Kevin Charles | August 8, 2005 9:12 PM | Report abuse

What fantastic comments from everybody! It was nice to spend a few moments reading them, feeling like I gathered with friends to celebrate the life of Peter Jennings.

There is a book called "The Evening Stars" by Barbara Matusow that gives a great history of the network news anchor. When Frank Reynolds became ill, he did not tell ABC about his diagnosis. Out of the blue, he invited Jennings to his home for lunch a week before he died. It was a symbolic passing of the torch, and what a fine journalist it went to.

I always enjoyed the Person of the Week segment because it was one of those moments that showed another side of Peter Jennings. He was genuine in his emotions, and a class act to the end.

Posted by: Dj Roo | August 8, 2005 9:29 PM | Report abuse

In about 1975 or 76, my son's senior class in a small southern high school, got up a collection for their civics teacher. The teacherhad a huge crush on Peter Jennings.

The kids bought her airfare to New York, and she went, and Peter did meet her, and was as gracious as all viewers -- and all current posters -- would expect him to be.

We need more such gentlemen in the world.

Posted by: ah | August 9, 2005 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Prayers for the greatest anchorman and journalist who ever lived--Peter Jennings:

May he rest in peace and may his soul ascend in heaven. May God grant to him eternal life and eternal happiness.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

I will miss you, Peter Jennings. You will be in my prayers always.

Posted by: Lenette Carter | August 9, 2005 1:44 AM | Report abuse

What a shock
When I came to this country to continue my education in medical field, it was during Iran hostage crises. He was providing the fact and deeper context for understanding the fact. He had the sence of history and appreciation of history events. I grew up watching him and night line from that time. He was knowledgable, sophisticated, cool handsom well rounded tone and warm. In my house the TV was on ABC every single evening for world new tonight with Peter jennings.AS I remember if I couldn't be home for the evening the TV was on recording for world news tonight. My kids learned to watch the news because of Peter Jennings. In othe part of the world we learn to listen to the best news the true one and, he was the one represent the reality of the world.My deepest sympaty to his loved ones and friends. We missed his voice. I think Jurnalism lost one of their best. He was truly exceptional and had no equal.

Posted by: Farideh Davani | August 9, 2005 2:53 AM | Report abuse

I WAS SORRY TO HERE ABOUT PETER JENNINGS DEATH. WE WILL NEVER SEE OR HERE HIS LOVEABLE VOICE AGAIN. IT WILL NO LONGER BE WORLD NEWS TONIGHT WITH PETER JENNINGS. HE MADE NEWS VERY INTERESTING IT WOULD MAKE YOU FEEL INTERESTED IN A STORY. WETHER IT WAS 911 OR ANY OTHER STORY. WHEN I FIRST SAW HIM ON TV HE CAPTURED MY EYE SIGHT. I STILL THINK THAT I HEAR HIS VOICE TALKING OR MAYBE INTERVIEWING A CANDIDATE TO THE PRESIDENCY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. THERE WILL BE NO OTHER LIKE PETER JENNINGS. TO HIS FAMILY I PRAY THAT GOD WILL GIVE YOU STRENGTH TO OVERCOME THE PAIN AND SORROW THAT YOU ARE FEELING. MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY TO ALL OF HIS FAMILY, FRIENDS AND COLLEGUES MAY GOD BE WITH YOU. MR. PETER JENNINGS WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU AND LOVE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID FOR US. BRINGING THE NEWS WHEN WE NEEDED THE MOST. REST IN PEACE

Posted by: FAMILYSMILE2 | August 9, 2005 4:37 AM | Report abuse

I always watch ABC news with Peter Jennings. He got my attention when he reported on the rain and flood in an African nation sometime ago when a woman gave birth in a tree. He was so compassionate toward this woman. I always liked him as a journalist. He is the best. I will miss him. My sympathy to his family

Posted by: lee | August 9, 2005 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Peter Jennings was America's anchorman. I watched the evening news because I knew I would receive the best possible impartial reporting.

I am deeply saddened by his passing and feel very compassionate and sympathetic toward his family, his news family, and all of those who loved him.

As it has been said another generation has been passed.....Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings......you all will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace Mr. Jennings.

Posted by: Alice Sanders | August 9, 2005 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace Mr. Jennings.

Posted by: Alice Sanders | August 9, 2005 10:13 AM | Report abuse

adads add asd asdasd asd ad a adadas

Posted by: xx | August 10, 2005 2:59 PM | Report abuse

You said it xx! Couldn't agree with you more!

Posted by: TBG | August 10, 2005 4:07 PM | Report abuse