Rooting For Least Undesirable Repercussions

The Yanquis lost and I'm worried that Weingarten will be insufferable for a month. I no longer root for specific teams, but rather for whatever outcome will have the least undesirable social repercussions. You do this too: You have zero personal stake in a game, and may not even recognize what the sport is (you always assume it's football), but you quickly ascertain how any given outcome will roil the social waters. There are people in this town who go into such a deep funk when the Redskins lose, they nearly lose the ability to add pork to legislation. You see them whimpering in a corner of the Capitol, gibbering to themselves, totally broken, and unable to insert into a Katrina bill a routine earmark for a bridge in Alaska.

Last night Joe Buck (or Tim McCarver??) said of pitcher Ervin Santana (12-8, 4.65 ERA), "Stuffwise, this guys matches up well with anyone on the Yankees." Meaning Santana has good stuff. For those of you who don't regularly follow the sport, "stuff" is a technical term for curveballs, fastballs, sliders, splitters, forkers, fluffers, wankers, and all the other pitches that a baseball hurler might have in his arsenal. Knucklers, spitters, phlegmers. Skankers. Collectively it's called stuff.

Nonetheless the purist has to object to the word "stuffwise," in the same way that we have to object when people say something like, "Perspirationwise, I near 'bout pitted out the dang sportcoat." It is hard to think of any word that employs the "-wise" construction that does not sound awkward, lexiconwise.

I spent the evening at the porch bureau of the blog, watching the ballgame and eating peanuts in the shell, salted. It's important to keep the hands and fingers busy. Research shows that 80 percent of calories consumed are the result not of hunger but of manic fidgety fingers that shove food into the mouth simply by habit. You need to grab something, fiddle with it, and cram it into the facehole. The smart consumer finds forms of matter that require shelling or some kind of digital manipulation, just to cut down on the amount of molecules facially crammed in any given period. I've always heard you can lose weight eating celery, because you burn more calories chewing than are contained therein. Celery: yum.

Lately I've been craving boiled peanuts, and several times a week I go to Peanut King. I'm always amazed how few people know about Peanut King. They only serve boiled peanuts. You can get them plain or cajun, but don't ask for cocktail or dry-roasted or anything yuppie like that. Also they won't give you napkins or sell any beverages. No rest rooms. They won't even give you water. I have never actually seen another customer. Admittedly it's a niche market. (Their brief attempt to sell peanut butter sandwiches in the mid-90s is as legendary a marketing failure as New Coke.)

Last night I tried to make peace with my neighbor Angus, who thinks he can sue me for libel over Sunday's column. I told him who my attorney is, and warned him that he would not like the repercussions of a lawsuit. He backed down. I won't reveal the name of my attorney, but trust me when I say he is so feared that the mere mention of his INITIALS makes everyone want to settle, amid tears and apologies. My attorney's nickname is "the Death Star." You really shouldn't go through life without an attorney who scares the bejeepers out of everyone. Angus simply grunted and went back to his grotto. I have a feeling I haven't heard the last from him.

Today I plan to get to the bottom of this, from Science:

Feduccia, Lingham-Soliar and Hinchliffe found no evidence for the existence of protofeathers on dinosaurs ... They suggest that 'protofeathers' described on fossil findings "are probably the remains of collagenous fiber 'meshworks' that reinforced the dinosaur integument." Based on their examination of fossilized remains of dinosaurs with no relationship to birds, they suggest that decomposition of skin can lead to patterns resembling feathers.

All I know is, there are going to be undesirable repercussions.

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 10, 2005; 8:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Man Eat Man World
Next: Steely Geena Davis, Sneaky Donald Sutherland

Comments

Joel,
actually owls have a 1-2-3 situation, as do other raptors. I learned this through intensive research. Honest.

Posted by: jayceecat | October 11, 2005 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you could offer Weingarten the title Theropod-In-Chief as an ALCS consolation prize.

Incidently, is it just me or does the new spokescreature for conserving energy, the Energy Hog, look a lot like Cheney?

www.energyhog.org
It is comforting to know that our government has protected us from databases for energy along the lines of PubMed does for medicine and yet can come up with animated pigs to guide future activities.

Posted by: Dave R | October 11, 2005 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Libel, copyright infringement, cannabalistic fantasies.... I like this blog!

Posted by: Huntsman | October 11, 2005 9:14 AM | Report abuse

What in the world did I just read?

" . . . mesotarsal bipedal archosaurs with pennaceous feathers . . ."

I'm suddenly rethinking my "fun, easy A" enrollment in Life of the Past next semester.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 9:18 AM | Report abuse

thinking, with what you've learned on this kit alone: "fun, easy A+"

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Re: Gene- just imagine how obnoxious he would have been had the Candystripers actually won.

And on the peanut front, just go to Five Guys. Chow down on the free peanuts while you wait for your burger to be grilled and read about where today's spuds were grown. Bite into a big juicy burger with grilled onions and mushrooms. you can almost hear your arteries clogging. But at least you'll die happy.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | October 11, 2005 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"peanuts in the shell, salted"?
I'm not sure that I get it.
[Either it's very funny, or I'm a maroon, i.e., imbecilic in nature.]

And Sara:
Did you find the following disturbing?
"They only serve boiled peanuts . . . they won't give you napkins or sell any beverages. No rest rooms. They won't even give you water."

No Steinbeck needed here.

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Angst,you think you got angst,well just read Boondocks today and you will see real angst.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2005 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad the red sox went out first, is all. Now everything will be calm and quiet up here until spring.

Although, personally, i think this whole season was a wash. Nothing exciting happened. Better luck next year.

Posted by: LP | October 11, 2005 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Haha! Completely right, omnigoof. I may sign up for two sections of the class!

Tom fan, it really depends on how salted the boiled peanuts are. The more salt, the thirstier I would be. Therefore, the more salt, the more it can be compared with Steinbeck. And if they get crazy with the salt, it might even pass The Grapes of Wrath up in the thirst department.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I am not sure what is wrong with "peanuts in the shell, salted." Admittedly it's AWK. Admittedly it does not rise to the level of literature. But you can get them unsalted or salted. You can get them shelled or unshelled. If I didn't specify that they come in a shell, you'd think I was grabbing handfuls from the Cocktail Peanuts can. And if I didn't say salted...well, it just wouldn't fit. They have to be salted.

Posted by: Achenbach | October 11, 2005 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Joel,

This blog spends more time discussing Legumes than any other site that I have seen. Congrats.

Do they have health benefits?

Are you providing a benefit to society?

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | October 11, 2005 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Ooh, sorry Achenbach, I didn't mean there was anything wrong with the phrasing. Honest -- I literally can't conceive of what salted peanuts in the shell look like; I thought they were by defninition UNsalted. To be salted, either they'd have to be opened first, or the salt would have to go on the shell itself (and what would be the point of that?)

I really did think hard about this; I even pictured you cracking the peanuts open and then sprinkling salt on them (I figured, if there are people who put salt on pizza, then maybe there are folks who put salt on peanuts in the shell). Or maybe even salting the shell and then licking the salt off. That's why I thought it was a joke. But it looks like the joke is on me -- I am indeed a maroon.

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Joel writes:
"You have zero personal stake in a game, and may not even fully recognize what sport is being played [on the TV screen], but you quickly ascertain how any given outcome will roil the social waters....All I know is, there are going to be undesirable repercussions."
***

This is a small story of an older woman trying to make a difference--and by doing so--roiling the big water-world of Washington politics. Frances Lovett is 66, a semi-retired nurse affiliated with no political party.

But she decided to challenge "Bush's Brain" when she asked a Kerr County, Texas prosecutor to investigate whether presidential advisor Karl Rove is eligible to vote in a Texas county northwest of San Antonio, since Rove resides primarily in the nation's capital.

The issue has been roiling local waters for several months now. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics, a Washington-based government watchdog agency, filed a complaint against Rove on Sept. 6 with the Texas secretary of state's office, but agency staffers said only residents of the county involved may file such gripes, which should be pursued at the county level.

Kerr County Democrats discussed the issue but most of them felt they didn't want to get involved right away, according to the county's Democratic Pary chairwoman. Lovett, of Center Point (a mere crossroads), stepped forward on her own after local Democrats failed to act on public solicitations by CREW for a surrogate complainant.

The issue has already cost one local Texas woman her job--the controversy over Rove led to Elizeth Reyes, a staff attorney in the secretary of state's office, being fired on Sept. 6. She was quoted in a news report that suggested that Rove wasn't eligible to vote in Kerr County.

She was accused of violating the agency's press policy. The story, reported locally [as well as in Dan Froomkin's column], prompted a call from Rove to Secretary of State Roger Williams.

At issue is Rove's residence. Rove moved from Austin to Washington years ago, but has claimed residency for voting purposes since 2004 in two small cottages near Ingram. The tiny cottages are often rented out as part of the next-door bed and breakfast that Rove and his wife, Darby, owned until 2003. Neighbors say that the Roves rarely stay there.

Voter eligibility depends largely on whether a displaced Texan later intends to return to the residence he or she claims as home.

The issue is now becoming a greased Texas political football. Kerr County District Attorney Bruce Curry examined Lovett's Oct. 3 complaint and wasn't sure it fell under his jurisdiction. He said the issue may be the responsibility of the county's attorney Rex Emerson. Neither could the county's Voter Registrar Paula Rector clarify the jurisdictional issue, but said such complaint's filed with the registrar's office result in a letter to the suspect voter, asking for verification of residency. "I have not been contacted by anyone complaining about Rove," she said.

Yet, in her Oct. 3 letter of complaint, Lovett wrote, "As it appears that both Mr. and Mrs. Rove violated Texas law by claiming residence in a county in which they apparently did not reside, it is appropriate for the district attorney's office to investigate and prosecute the matter."

Now, all those who believe that Karl Rove and his wife will return after his stint [or possible Fitzgerald indictment?] in Washington, D.C., to two tiny cottages in rural Ingram, Texas, please raise your hand. And cheers for the sexagenarian who speaks truth to power.
***

Zeke MacCormack reported the story locally.

Posted by: Linda Loomis | October 11, 2005 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Achenfan, the shell is salted, not the peanut itself. The best way to eat those in my opinion is to crack open the shell, throw it on the ground, and eat the peanut. Then after a few of these, lick your fingers because they're deliciously salty.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Tom fan, I mean.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Tom fan: I don't know HOW it's done, but their is such a thing as peanuts still in their shell, and the salt is inside. (Maybe the producer injects salt in the hole made from the stem?) At least one manufacturer produces packaging that houses the same peanuts, same price, with only one difference--do you want the cellophane bag with the Yankees logo, or the one with the Red Sox?

So, you are not a "maroon" by any stretch

Posted by: aroc | October 11, 2005 9:54 AM | Report abuse

OK, Sara, now can I have some beer? That really isn't fair to do, no matter what time it is.

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | October 11, 2005 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I need to get my hands on some of those peanuts aroc described. I've only seen peanuts with shells salted. It would make my peanut eating experience more enjoyable if the peanuts themselves were actually salted. But the finger licking is so fun . . . I'm torn.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Sure, Dolphin Michael. Go crack open a cold one. I'm completely fine with you having a beer.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 9:56 AM | Report abuse

The shell is salted?

Yanqs are weird . . .

[Kidding! :) ;) ","]

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm emoticon-illiterate, but what is

"," ?

I've seen it a lot lately. Mostly here I think.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Weingarten *more* insufferable? I wonder what Posted by: | would think about that.

Tom fan, Joel's nuts are boiled in a brine, not plain water, resulting in salty meat inside unopened shells.

Insert your own dirty joke here.

As much as I like to eat peanuts at games, pistachios are my weakenss, and if there are any Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies around, fuggetaboutit. I can inhale an enitre box of thin mints in the first quarter of an NFL game.

I gotta read that article in Science, though I think we're going to have to concede that article to the Creationists, jargonistically inpenetrabilitywise.

Archaeopteryx certainly didn't have protofeathers, but unless the FSM just made it on the spot with his noodly appendage, there are probably some proto-feather-sportin' fossils out there that no one's found yet...

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Smart, Dolphin Michael, smart...

Peanuts are indeed legumes. In German, the word is Erdnuss, meaning "ground nut" or "earth nut." Yup, the Achenblog is a real gas. Their health benefits are legendary!

Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel,
Beans, beans the magical meaal!

Posted by: Loomis | October 11, 2005 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Contentwise, you covered the waterfront today, Achenbach. Way to throw a salted-in-the-shell peanut to the sports fans, science nerds, grammar nerds, and general interest (food!) readers, all in one kit. My theory is that this is what the inside of your head looks like in any given 45-second time period, and that most of your writing is severely edited so that it appears to stay roughly in one subject area.

Posted by: Reader | October 11, 2005 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'd add that some Peanut producers soak their nuts in brine for up to 5 hours before boiling them.

Mmmm. Salty.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Tomfan, they soak (or boil?) the peanuts in the shell in brine, and then roast them, still in the shell. The salty water soaks through the whole thing.

Posted by: suecris | October 11, 2005 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Linda Loomis,

I curiously have only a passive interest now in Rove's troubles with Fitzgerald. What really gnaws at me is how little this White House is doing to support the citizens of this country. ... not meant as criticism of you, just that while all this is going on, the press is spending little time looking at block grants and support of assistance programs for the sick and poor when it comes to heating their homes.

I sit and watch the news coming out of the White House and their relative performance running the country and am stunned that they do little or no good.

My first reaction about Bush going to New Orleans to work with Habitat for Humanity for a day to build a home was very negative. Here he goes latching onto something that those involved in the project have been doing for years and the program is a key part of President Carter's post presidency life. The cable news makes no mention of Carter, BTW ...

In a way, however, I am thinking that these guys and women in the White House now, WOULD do more good by just working on projects in New Orleans and Mississippi for a couple of months. Get them out of town. Let them appreciate what labor is all about. No slinking back to a hotel or flying out of town, but just stay there and build a house.

I think working next to a guy making 20 or 30K a year and trying to support a family. That would be good.

AND, I think the world could do with a break from their amazing international skills.

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | October 11, 2005 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I think I made that one up myself, Sara. It's supposed to be a person poking out his/her tongue while holding his/her hands slightly above the ears and waving the fingers madly. It is sometimes used in FBBI [Federal Bureau of Boodling Investigations] bulletins.

[On reflection, I've been using this emoticon somewhat inappropriately lately, and I probably shouldn't have used it above. (I should be more respectful.)]

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Reader, based on real scientist-guy research I've seen, men think about sex every 8 seconds on the average.

I'm not sure your 45 second theory holds up, unless this Kit was edited 5 times.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Peanuts boiled in brine remind me of brine shrimp which remind me of sea monkeys which remind me of floaties and ultimately it all grosses me out. I'm going to stick with my "salted shell, unsalted peanut" peanuts and just keep licking my fingers.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Always sagacious, Dolphin Michael!

Get 'em (expressd to you in only the most positive of terms). Grrrr! (What really gnaws at me is how little this White House is doing to support the citizens of this country...)

I rarely watch NBC news, but accidentally caught Lauer's interview this a.m. with President and Mrs. Bush at the Habitat for Humanity work site. The artificiality and dissembling by Bush was enough to make me gag into my (into my what...???) beer and basket of salted peanuts?

Posted by: Loomis | October 11, 2005 10:19 AM | Report abuse

If you have issues with brine, you should stay away from pickles.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Thank you everybody for the explanations about salty peanuts in the shell. I never realized how nut-illiterate I was. I just might have to go and try me some of them brine-soaked peanuts. (I'll make sure I'm amply supplied beveragewise.)

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Linda Loomis,

There is an article in the Post's Style section today about Fortune magazine's 75th anniversary issue. It mentions one of their investigative reporters, Carol Loomis. Any relation to you?

Posted by: pj | October 11, 2005 10:23 AM | Report abuse

re: "rooting"

[what is the connection between "rooting for the Yankees" and, say, "rooting for truffles"?]

I have never been able to make myself care which team wins, ever. I have cared, occasionally, about track and field results, or tennis matches--individual people might catch my attention. But the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Middleboro Cobras? Ho hum. If I watch a game, I'll just enjoy the give and take, the individual moments of excellence and exertion, regardless of the score. But I understand what you're saying--I can't help being influenced by what people around me are hoping for. Very confusing when two close friends passionately wish for opposite outcomes. Duck and cover!

Posted by: Abby | October 11, 2005 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Oops, I meant to include the link to the Fortune article:

Posted by: pj | October 11, 2005 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh, sad...I don't think I can do that. I'll just pretend you never said that, bc.

Does anyone remember those "Sea Monkey Kingdoms" that you could buy? There were pictures of what I will call "Mermonkeys" with crowns and scepters and little castles and villages on the outside of the package? Then when you set up the Sea Monkey kingdom it was actually just a mini tank with water and white floaties?

I'd go around the corner to the convenience store and buy a Sea Monkey kingdom (surely it will work THIS time and I'll have pet Mermonkeys that smile at me!), a Crystal Pepsi back when clear cola was a fad and some Razzles (little round candies that turn into gum--"First it's candy, then it's gum!") Then I'd come home and try to catch a watersnake in the river next to my home. Ahhh, childhood was so carefree.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 10:26 AM | Report abuse

In response to bc's "Insert dirty joke here", I am going to do just that.

In comedian Rick Reynold's Only the Truth is Funny standup routine, he says he'd convert to Catholicism if only the communion wafers were fudge. Think about it. Body of Christ, with or without nuts.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2005 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Joel's from northern FL.

They know their boiled nuts down there.
If you don't smell swamp, you're probably smelling boiled peanuts.

I'll have to check Peanut King out. I think if they served beverages and weren't at a sidewalk stand, they might be a resturant from the city's perspective, and have to have public restrooms and all that jazz.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Okay, bc, but presumably that means that everybody is self-editing all the time--men because their minds keep slipping into that gear and women because we are aware of that fact. So this is one of the few things in life that truly "goes without saying."

Posted by: Reader | October 11, 2005 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Tom fan, that should be legume illiterate.

Posted by: dr | October 11, 2005 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Joel,

You discussed Stuff... but have you explained junk, yet?

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | October 11, 2005 10:34 AM | Report abuse

You will rot in hell for that, anonymous at 10:28:04, no matter how many Hail Marys they tell you to say.

On another note the sucking [up] sounds are overcoming some of us.

AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGJHHHHHHH then smack lips.

Posted by: buttercutie | October 11, 2005 10:37 AM | Report abuse

At the risk of this blog being shut down for perceived obscenity, my husband has recently been buying items from NutsOnline (http://www.nutsonline.com). You should visit the site; you'll be amazed.

And I can't believe I could actually write about NutsOnline and not be veering off topic!

Posted by: TBG | October 11, 2005 10:44 AM | Report abuse

We can't see the obscenity, but your heavy breathing is arousing, TBG.

Posted by: buttercutie | October 11, 2005 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Mr. Posted by: | is worried about going to Hell.

I'm going to ask him to keep a seat warm for me at the bar down there.

Sara, going back to the early Achendaze of the SAO-15, Dreamer and I imagined the Tempel-1 comet being inhabited by Sea Monkeys that evolved into Ashton Kutcher and Britney Spears (note: this wouldn't take very long), and she and I would be Queen and King of said comet. Tempel-1 would also have a good bar, natch.

Re. other Sea Monkey Kingdoms, I prefer Theodore Sturegeon's "Microcosmic God" and one of my all-time favorite stories, George RR Martin's "Sandkings".

Both South Park and the Simpsons have done amusing nods to all three.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Is Joel saying that birds are not dinosaurs? Wow. That's big news.

Posted by: Off Topic | October 11, 2005 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Would the Tempel-1 bar have an assortment of peanuts? If so, you have yourself a dream comet-colony there.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Lots of folks posting about goobers today

Posted by: LB | October 11, 2005 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Minus Britney Spears of course, because, well, cringe.

Ashton Kutcher seems to be a pretty good producer, so he's not so bad.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 11:17 AM | Report abuse

To bring the whole nuts issue around to what I believe Joel's point was in the first place, salted-in-the-shell peanuts are sold at virtually every ballpark. A bag of these nuts are up there with hot dogs as part of a ballgame experience. (Pretend you are at a game. Listen carefully. "Peanuts!" Did'ja just hear that vendor?) But another key part of the equation is that the peanuts also cry out for the company of a beer.

By the way, peanut vendors at many parks are able to make some amazing tosses, to customers 10 and 15 rows away from them. They do this as they come up an aisle, collecting money from customers as they go, tossing bags to customers who wave at them form the direction they are headed. Some of them, stuffwise, would match up well with anyone on the Yankees.

Posted by: Bayou Self | October 11, 2005 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Off Topic:

You've caught on to something that fellow boodlers have overlooked: The Dinosaurs Are Birds paradigm is being challanged. Thousands of paleontologists may be wrong. Worse, Steven Spieberg may be wrong. And I care more about this issue than TomCat.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I like to eat goobers at the ball park on a windy day. The shells get all over everyone and really annoys them. Its great.

Posted by: LB | October 11, 2005 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to all the well wishes from last Friday. Philip Flavius joined us at 7 lbs. 6 oz., 21 inches long, curly black hair, healthy, happy, PERFECT. His little feet and legs are constantly curling and kicking; a miniature Savigon Glover. The rocking chair is warmed up and I've been practicing my songs.
Sara - we didn't have sea monkeys or a nearby river. But after a heavy rain, we'd tie a string on a stick, sit on the curb and "fish" in the gutter. Never caught a thing of course but when you're a child, hope always springs eternal.

Posted by: Nani | October 11, 2005 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm very very sorry I mentioned Tom***. Please, no one start about Tom###. Let's stay on peanuts.

I remember my first experience with boiled peanuts. Nothing tasted better until I was finished eating about a 1/8 pound of them. Then I realized I'd eaten all the boiled peanuts I'd ever need in my lifetime. It's a taste you can tire of quickly.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 11:25 AM | Report abuse

To me, a rooster looks like a stegosaurus. And no one is going to tell me 'otherwise'!

haha

Posted by: Off Topic | October 11, 2005 11:26 AM | Report abuse

SCC mea culpa SCC: My 11:21:55 AM post is so fraught with misspellings, it's pointless to try to correct them. I'll simply throw myself at the feet of the Boodle Collective and beg forgiveness.

Still with us, Buttercutie?

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 11:28 AM | Report abuse

cowtown,

do you mean TOM FAN??? why the code? Why the fear in your calm demeanor?

Posted by: klatu | October 11, 2005 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday Joel said that there wouldn't be a blog today, but lo and behold, here is everyone talking about goobers and dinosaurs. Only in America.

Posted by: LB | October 11, 2005 11:32 AM | Report abuse

klatu

I was referring to Tom Cruise. I've said too much already. Those Who Love Movie Star Gossip will be coming soon. Must leave now.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Sara, the Tempel-1 Hellbar has a wide variety of munchies, including several treatments of peanuts.

As far as Ashton's producing; umm..."Beauty and the Geek" and "Punk'd"?

And "The Butterfly Effect" is no "Citizen Kane".

I still think AK's not very far up Darwin's Ladder from Sea Monkeys, though he is far better looking.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, CowTown. (When oh when will people realize that it's not all about me.)

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 11:38 AM | Report abuse

that's a relief that you meant Cruise, CowTown. Hope to see you later at the Belching hour. We've posted the particulars to draw in a lot of people from the Navy Yard area and T Street and Florida, as wella as Upper Georgetown, Middle Slobovia, the immediate blocks of the Washington Post, and the White House. Should be a good crowd.

Posted by: buttercutie | October 11, 2005 11:39 AM | Report abuse

goober = n-guba

n. Chiefly Southern U.S.
See peanut.

[Of Bantu origin; akin to Kongo, or Kimbundu n-guba.]

Regional Note: Most Southerners recognize the terms goober and goober pea as other names for the peanut. Goober is related to Kongo or Kimbundu *n-guba*, peanut. The word is especially interesting as one of a small stock of African language borrowings brought over by slaves. Most of these words have to do with the food items imported from Africa for the slaves to eat. In this category are gumbo, okra, which is of Bantu origin, and yam, which is of West African origin. The noun cooter is related to the Mandingo word kuta and the Tshiluba word nkudu, both meaning turtle. Cooter is still used in South Carolina, Georgia, and the Gulf states to denote the edible freshwater turtle of the genus Chrysemys and, by extension, other turtles and tortoises.

Posted by: Off Topic | October 11, 2005 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Are we going to be at the K St. M&S's, or the F St. M&S's this afternoon? I have a bad feeling about showing up to the wrong place.

Posted by: jw | October 11, 2005 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Cow Town, see my last paragraph at 10:04.

And "Klaatu" has two "a"'s, IIRC, as in "Gort, Klaatu berada nikto."

I miss Robert Wise already.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Man, I missed out on good stuff already! Isn't there that song that goes:

Sitting by the roadside
On a summer day
Chatting with my messmen
Passing time away
Lying in the shadows
Underneath the trees
Goodness how delicious
Eating goober peas!

Ah, if only I knew which Wee Sing collection that came from.

Posted by: peanutgallerymember | October 11, 2005 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yes, not all about you, Tom fan, as delightful as that would be!

But I'm spread too thin, as you say [quite funnily, too.] You have a good sense of humor when you have it handy.

Posted by: margarine | October 11, 2005 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The K street one, jw (it's the 1600 block, I think.)

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 11:42 AM | Report abuse

wasn't there a civil war era song about goober peas?

Posted by: LB | October 11, 2005 11:42 AM | Report abuse

bc,

You must know, then, that it means:

Gort, we go back to the ship now

Posted by: goombah | October 11, 2005 11:44 AM | Report abuse

bc, but you have to admit that Kutcher and Spears are in two completely different categories. Worlds, even. I have yet to find a real talent in Spears repertoire. Kutcher at least makes me laugh with humor, while I laugh in incredulity in Spears' direction.

And that's right, Boodle Porching Hour is today, isn't it? I'm not jealous at all. I can't legally drink for another 25 days anyway, so it's all for the best that I am an out-of-towner.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm only concerned about the likely surveillance by you know who

Posted by: melvin/a | October 11, 2005 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to include the chorus (shame on me)
Ahem.

Peas peas peas peas
Eating goober peas
Goodness how delicious
Eating goober peas!

Posted by: peanutgallerymember | October 11, 2005 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I think it means, "Gort, do you have my keys? We're blowing this popsicle stand."

nc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I think that's the song.

Posted by: LB | October 11, 2005 11:48 AM | Report abuse

So does this mean that dinosaurs aren't kosher?

Posted by: Huntsman | October 11, 2005 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Dear LB,
I think that is the civil war era song about goober peas that I've posted. I have been known to be wrong though...

Posted by: peanutgallerymember | October 11, 2005 11:49 AM | Report abuse

SCC 11:47:23: "bc".

Bah.

Sara, sure, I laughed at "Dude, Where's My Car?". He's funny enough... but so was Curly Howard.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 11, 2005 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I never knew all of the words. Dang this here kaboodle is educational yet entertaining.

Posted by: LB | October 11, 2005 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think Curly Howard and Ashton Kutcher are equally attractive. In other words, neither float my boat.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I heard a talk by Mark Norell of AMNH, a while back. He seemed pretty solid that there were identifiable feather impressions in a few fossils of wingless theropods, similar to the feather-impressions in the Archaeopteryx lithographica type-specimen. That's a strong support for the idea that feathers were a dinosaurian pre-adaptation that eventually came to be incorporated into birds. Of course, he's also solidly in the camp that says that birds are dinosaurs, end of story, no distinction between them. I always found that proposition to be logically questionable, since the evidence is that the only surviving "dinosaurs" are those whose ancestors went to the trouble of evolving wings. All 'non-avian' dinosaurs died out. The Cretaceous extinction imposed a pretty strong filter on which 'dinosaurs' survived. That seems to me to imply a sufficiently significant physiological distinction that birds would have to be viewed as not being dinosaurs, even if they originally evolved from them. I asked Norell about that, but he wasn't prepared to concede the point, at least, not in the middle of a talk. He noted that there were lots of lineages that died out, so birds were just lucky. I still feel that a sufficient number of bird lineages survived that it doesn't make sense that all non-avian dinosaurs died by bad luck, but were otherwise physiologically similar. But I might be wrong.

If strong evidence were presented to show that birds feature a different set of remaining digits in the hand than theropods, that would indeed be a mighty strong argument that birds evolved from a different reptilian ancestor, not from theropod dinosaurs.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 11, 2005 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If Tom Cruise is in town, can he come to the Porching Hour?

Posted by: Golconda | October 11, 2005 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Mmmm, boiled peanuts... Ballpark peanuts... Peanut butter...

I was actually panicking yesterday because I had forgotten on Sunday to buy peanut butter (the natural kind, not Jif). So then I was going to stop and buy some yesterday, only the other stuff on my list seemed much better to pick up at Rite Aid, so I went there. Then I look at my list and it clearly states "PB". And they don't sell natural peanut butter at Rite Aid. So I had to argue with myself about whether or not to go to another store for peanut butter. The lazy TA won. When I got to work today, I discovered the half-eaten jar of peanut butter that I was previously thinking I shouldn't bother keeping at work. I must lead a charmed life.

I plan to be at K St. McCormick and Schmicks around 5 pm today. I hope to see many of you there!

Sara,
Happy 21st in 25 days!

Posted by: TA | October 11, 2005 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, TA! I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget to post pictures of Porching Hour for us out-of-towners!

Posted by: peanutgallerymember | October 11, 2005 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Wll the BoodleCam be on-line? And, where's mo, anyway.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 12:26 PM | Report abuse

mo's been missing this week...hopefully she's not sick and can make it to the BPH.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe mo's still doing jury duty? Let's hope she'll be at the BPH -- she *is* the Boodle's official photographer, after all (plus she's just plain Achenfun to have around).

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 12:30 PM | Report abuse

mo had jury duty on the 4th, and didn't get picked. I suspect she's busy, cause if she were home sick she would have posted by now, maybe.

Posted by: omnigood | October 11, 2005 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought of mo last night: I had dinner at Bistro Du Coin, and they had rabbit stew on the menu. My husband tried to talk me into ordering the bunny, but I said, no no no, I could not do that to mo (the poor wabbit!) -- plus I'm not really a big fan of eating rabbit to begin with.

[And please don't ask me to pronounce Bistro Du Coin, omni, er, I mean Mr. Putz. I'm a maroon!]

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Doublewide!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2005 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't get that, either. (I'm really having comprehension problems today.)

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 1:03 PM | Report abuse

[And now I've gone and killed the 'boodle.]

Posted by: Tom fan | October 11, 2005 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Off Topic said that "Goober" is an African term and that most of these African-rooted words relate to food-stuffs imported from Africa.

A neat thing is that even by the 18th-19th century, the peanut had established itself so strongly in African culture that we can use an African loan-word for it in English. For the peanut is an American plant. Too, imagine Szechuan & Hunan (yeah, they're not in Afirca) cooking without peanuts. Likewise, the tomato in many cuisines.

It is amazing how quickly some of these plants became established in non-American cultures.

Posted by: md 20/400 | October 11, 2005 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Achenfan, you need to try the stuffed bunny appetizer at 2 Amys. It's totally worth the guilt. They only have it on Fri-Sun, though.

Posted by: Pixel | October 11, 2005 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Stuffed bunny appetizer?

Maybe it's just as well mo isn't with us today.

[Kinda curious to know what it's stuffed *with* -- but no, ain't gonna ask, out of respect for mo.]

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if dinosaurs tasted like chicken?

[Feeble attempt to get back on topic.]

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 1:28 PM | Report abuse

only ACH. can kill a "Boodle." stick to typos and you won't.

Posted by: golconda | October 11, 2005 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet they're more gamey than chicken.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 1:32 PM | Report abuse

remember: less is more

Posted by: golconda | October 11, 2005 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Alright, Joel, what have you done with Oscar Zeta Acosta? Give him back!

Posted by: Raoul Duke | October 11, 2005 1:41 PM | Report abuse

You guys have fun tonight at the BPH--I can't make it. Someone please have a shoe shine for me!

This is from M&S website:

McCormick & Schmick's, is in the heart of D.C.'s business district, just two blocks from The White House. Widely regarded as the place to see the city's most famous and notable names... Its lively bar features the best shoe shine in town and a happy hour noted by the Washington Business Journal as "phenomenal."

Posted by: TBG | October 11, 2005 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Bistro du Coin.

Is, I believe, pronounced:

Bar of the Corner.

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"Widely regarded as the place to see the city's most famous and notable names..."

How'd they know we were going to be there?

Posted by: jw | October 11, 2005 2:05 PM | Report abuse

if the bar features a shoe shine I'll just have to stand behind you all as I'm wearing sneakers today...

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You know, the title of this Kit has given me a headache!

Posted by: omnigood | October 11, 2005 2:36 PM | Report abuse

so you need to get in touch with your feminine side

Posted by: omnigasm | October 11, 2005 2:51 PM | Report abuse

i'm here i'm here!! yeesh! give a girl a sec to catch up on two boodles! 'tis long arduous work!

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! the yankees lost!!! i'm crushed! but at least the sux lost too so there! *pthhhtt*

i wouldn't miss the porching hour for the world!

and bc - get me around a bag of natural unsalted pistachios and i'm TROUBLE! i LOVE 'em!!!

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 3:17 PM | Report abuse

....um....fluffers and wankers? are we sure about this?

Posted by: josephus | October 11, 2005 3:17 PM | Report abuse

A boodler named josephus? A boodle-baby named Flavius? Mere coincidence, or classics scholars on the loose?

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 11, 2005 3:19 PM | Report abuse

stuffed bunny!!!!! that's just tooooo cruel! bad enuff the cute thing is dead then you gotta go and stuff it??

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 3:19 PM | Report abuse

mo - You're back! Remember, lots of photos at the Porching Hour. Maybe they could be submitted to the WP as an example of Citizen Newsgathering.

omni* - I'd thought for a while you'd killed the Boodle. Careful!

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 3:20 PM | Report abuse

just went for a walk, sorry, I'll be more careful crossing the street in the future...

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 3:25 PM | Report abuse

hmmm... i'll check on that cowtown! and yes, i charged the battery to my digicam last nite so lots o pics!

nani - i LOVE that his middle name is Favius! that's just toooo precious!

tom fan, me thinks the "doublewide" reference was aimed at me... and if so... a terribly cruel reference indeed! some people have no class.

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Back to peanut history, peanuts are actually indigenous to South America, not Africa. Peanut families made their way to Africa by stowing away on the ships of Spanish and Portuguese explorers. Then they emigrated to North America on slave ships, where they achieved fame under the guidance of George Washington Carver.

Posted by: TA | October 11, 2005 3:25 PM | Report abuse

but of course i could be wrong! *sigh* boodle killer strikes again...

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Talk about taking the long way around. If only those peanuts had stopped to ask for directions.

Posted by: jw | October 11, 2005 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Two peanuts were walking through a park. One was assaulted.

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Achenfan, I have a feeling that we would have a lot of laughs were we ever to meet.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The other was but a shell for the rest of his life.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha!

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 3:47 PM | Report abuse

He was eventually turned into peanut butter, making it assault and buttery.

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 3:53 PM | Report abuse

*GROAN*

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Tough crowd, eh CowTown?

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I just e-mailed the joke to my mom and my friend Jeremy. They're gonna love it.

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure they'll go nuts over it, Sara.

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, peanut humor is really cracking me up today!

Posted by: Sara | October 11, 2005 4:00 PM | Report abuse

All right, that's enough. We'll get run out on a rail. Or smeared on a celery stick.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 4:02 PM | Report abuse

t minus 48 min till the 2nd official boodle porching hour comenses!

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 4:13 PM | Report abuse

scc! commences!

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 4:14 PM | Report abuse

mo, you're making me nervous. Even though some of us 'boodlers have met already, I'm *still* feeling a little bit Achenshy. To make matters worse, I had a wardrobe malfunction today, and my skirt is being held together with safety pins.

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 4:15 PM | Report abuse

i'll be there, and i think everyone will be to busy making fun of my goofy sneakers to notice safety pins...

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 4:18 PM | Report abuse

achenfan! that's sooo punk! i approve! and i'm having major big hair issues so... no worries mate!

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mo | October 11, 2005 4:30 PM | Report abuse

'cept, I've done it so that you can't actually see the safety pins -- all you can really see is a weird (we are weird!) bunching-up effect around the butt. And I think the back of the skirt is now shorter than the front -- VERY attractive. I'd probably better remain seated . . .

[See, now I've gone and drawn attention to my problem -- just like omni and his goofy sneakers. I hope some of the other porchers have wardrobe issues as well, so we'll blend in better.]

Ooh -- gotta go!

Posted by: Achenfan | October 11, 2005 4:36 PM | Report abuse

The aforementioned bunny is boned out and stuffed with a mixture of butter braised escarole, onion and pinenuts (gotta get those nuts in there.) Then it's rolled up and tied with slices of pancetta and baked. It's served at room temperature. You get two 1/2" thick slices topped with a spoonful of cherry conserve. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's one of the best things I've ever eaten. Ever.

Posted by: Pixel | October 11, 2005 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Pixel

It sounds great, but it would sound better if you didn't call it "bunny." I'm visualizing Thumper stuffed with escarole, onion, and pine nuts. It's not a pretty sight.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 4:41 PM | Report abuse

d wide on view! hold the bunny! gas masks for the nut eaters.

Posted by: temecula | October 11, 2005 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Have fun at the boodle porching hour guys. Remember to raise a glass for the out-of-towners.

And mo, again, I feel your pain. But at least the sox went out first. I hold on to that one last shred of dignity.

Posted by: LP | October 11, 2005 4:53 PM | Report abuse

And, remember. If you drink,
don't spill.

Posted by: CowTown | October 11, 2005 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh you people are so brittle. After all, Dizzy Gillespie loved Salt Peanuts.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2005 4:55 PM | Report abuse

If you can't eat somethin' good, don't eat nothin' at all.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | October 11, 2005 4:58 PM | Report abuse

It's true, I shouldn't say bunny. Even rabbit makes me hesitate a little. Why is there no euphemism for lamb and rabbit? Cow is beef, calf is veal, pig is pork, sheep is mutton, chicken is, er, pollo...

Perhaps they could rename the dish Stuffed Lagomorph.

Have fun at BPH. I promise to attend the next one!

Posted by: Pixel | October 11, 2005 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Joel, may I suggest one of the many fine brands of Habanero coated peanuts available over the internet. Painful swelling of your lips and tongue will keep you from eating too quickly. Further, the capsicum absorbed through your fingertips will make them tingle with delight.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 11, 2005 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Pixel, what you have in the differing words for meat is French versus Anglo-Saxon. Since the Norman aristocrats spoke French, after the Conquest the Anglo-Saxon vernacular was considered vulgar and low class and fell out of use...boeuf, porc, mutton are French. Veal probably is too. I guess the Normans didn't eat rabbit...

Posted by: Slyness | October 11, 2005 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey! I used to work at Five Guys in Springfield, about 5 years ago. They were a lot better then. Now they are franchised. One of my coworkers from those days actually bought a franchise.

You know how people say if you ever worked at Taco Bell you'd never want to eat there again? Five Guys wasn't like that .. we worked hard to keep everything clean and I always enjoyed eating there.

Now I live in Houston. Maybe I should open my own burger joint here.

Posted by: mdmbkr | October 11, 2005 7:25 PM | Report abuse

*crickets*

Posted by: mdmbkr | October 11, 2005 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Aaaahhhh! Please, enough of the talk about eating rabbits, bunnies, lambs, cute little calves! Have you no mercy?!?

Posted by: Caged Rabbit | October 11, 2005 10:09 PM | Report abuse

i've no idea what Lagomorph means, but it made me laugh. thanks pixel

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 10:27 PM | Report abuse

i've no idea what Lagomorph means, but it made me laugh. thanks pixel

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I know why goof double posted

ha

Posted by: omnigood | October 11, 2005 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I know why goof double posted.

Posted by: omnigood | October 11, 2005 10:35 PM | Report abuse

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/achenblog/2005/10/stuffwise.html

The following error was encountered:

Connection Failed
The system returned:

(111) Connection refusedThe remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:34:26 GMT by www.sixapart.com (squid/2.5.STABLE10)

Posted by: danger will robinson | October 11, 2005 10:36 PM | Report abuse

you are such a spaz, robot

Posted by: omnigoof | October 11, 2005 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I'M GOing TO bed

goodnight porchers and oOts

Posted by: blorph | October 11, 2005 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Whoever this "root" guy is, he better wake up!

Posted by: TBG | October 11, 2005 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Poop

Posted by: Pooper | October 11, 2005 11:45 PM | Report abuse

"Your cache administrator is root."

The "root" guy is probably trying to dig up a cache of peanuts, or goobers. Do you suppose he is "rootwise?"

Nuts to the "root" guy!

Can't wait to see the pix, mo.

bdl

Posted by: boondocklurker | October 12, 2005 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the Yanquis, mo. I was rooting quietly for them - I swear I wasn't watching till the 7th inning, and then only sporadically, so I don't think I jinxed them. Hope you and jw had fun drowning your sorrows at the BPH.

Is Hal the root guy? Talk about boodlecide...

Posted by: mostlylurking | October 12, 2005 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I wonder why Washington Post staff writer Bob Thompson got the Kurt Vonnegut interview gig and not Joel?

Posted by: Off Topic | October 12, 2005 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey, did you see that the exec. editor of the WP will be online at noon today. I feel we should express our opinions thoroughly, tactfully and intelligently (per our usual practice on the boodle). It may be our one chance (besides griping on the boodle) to be heard while they are considering all the changes for the WP. Speak up!

Posted by: peanutgallerymember | October 12, 2005 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Slyness, thanks for the history lesson. Veal is veau in French and rabbit is lapin (I think) and I'm pretty sure those guys ate anything and everything.

Omnidood, Lagomorph is the order of mammal comprising rabbits, hares, and pikas. How do they differ from rodents? I'm glad you asked. According to Wikipedia: (caution, the following contains the words penis, scrotum and feces)

* they have four (not two as in rodents) incisors in the upper jaw;

* they will only eat vegetation (unlike rodents, who will eat meat and vegetation)

* the male's scrotum is in front of the penis;

* the penis has no bone as does the rodents'; and

* they will re-digest first time feces to obtain the most from their plant diet.

All together now: EWWWWWW!

Posted by: Pixel | October 12, 2005 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Pixel, too much information! EWWW indeed!

But informative, anyway.

Posted by: slyness | October 12, 2005 9:40 AM | Report abuse

As usual I am a day late and a brazillion dollars short. The Vonnegut article was very good if a little harsh on his later stuff which is unjustly over looked.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 12, 2005 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Pixel.

Leggo my Lagomorph.

Posted by: omnigoof | October 12, 2005 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Actually the

"Birds have been thought to be related to theropod dinosaurs because both groups have a hand reduced to three digits. Theropods are known from fossil evidence to exhibit a hand with digits 1-2-3, the thumb and next two digits. However, the researchers found that the vast majority of evidence supports a 2-3-4 digit identity for bird wings....[T]hey offer an interim attempt to define morphologically the most salient features of Aves: "Birds are mesotarsal bipedal archosaurs with pennaceous feathers, and a tridactyl avian hand composed of digits 2-3-4."

Is really quite interesting. But I have to agree it will have repercussions. Though I think it safe to assume the administration is not concerned as of yet.

And re. the pub med reference.. Actually the better reference might be medlineplus. Brought to you free, not be private enterprise, not by all those politicians, but dreamed up, designed built and delivered by hard working civil servants. Who knew?

Posted by: betterlatethannever | October 12, 2005 9:08 PM | Report abuse