Technical Problems With Blog

I'd like to apologize for the very strange technical problems we had yesterday with this blog and all the other blogs that [Bottle of Claret for you if I had realised...Well, do it next time.

I forgot about it, George, I'm sorry.
Will you forgive me? Yes.] operate on the TypePad software. For a while I was worried that we were going to Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,
number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,
number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,          lose several of the recent posts and all of the comments, which would have been Then there's this Welsh Rarebit wearing some brown underpants
About the shortage of grain in Hertfordshire
Everyone of them knew that as time went by
They'd get a little bit older and a litter slower but
It's all the same thing, in this case manufactured by someone who's always
Umpteen your father's giving it diddly-i-dee
District was leaving, intended to pay for

a shame, because that whole FroomFoof thing was

Number 9, number 9

Who's to know?
Who was to know?

Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,
number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9

I sustained nothing worse than
Also for example
Whatever you're doing
A business deal falls through
I informed him on the third night
When fortune gives                                        really interesting. Anyhow, hopefully all the bugs have been fixed by TypePad, and things can proceed apace. I'll post my Sunday column as soon as I track down the

Number 9, number 9, number 9

People ride, people ride
Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride
Ride! Ride!

9, number 9, number 9, number 9

I've missed all of that
It makes me a few days late
Compared with, like, wow!
And weird stuff like that
Taking our sides sometimes
Floral bark
Rouge doctors have brought this specimen

I have nobody's short-cuts, aha...

9, number 9

By Joel Achenbach  |  December 17, 2005; 2:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All Froomkin All the Time
Next: The Annual Christmas Speech

Comments

Black cloud crossed my mind
Blue mist rounded my soul
Felt so suicidal
Even hated rock and roll
Wanted to die . . .

Posted by: Achenfan | December 17, 2005 2:54 PM | Report abuse

If the Boodle ain't dead already . . .

Posted by: Achenfan | December 17, 2005 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The Watusi, the twist

Eldorado

Take this, brother, may it serve you well

Maybe it's nothing
What? What? Oh...

Maybe, even then, impervious in London

Posted by: omnigood | December 17, 2005 3:44 PM | Report abuse

welcome back kotter

Posted by: omnigoof | December 17, 2005 3:45 PM | Report abuse

my favorite:

If, you became naked

Posted by: omnibad | December 17, 2005 3:46 PM | Report abuse

omnibad get back in your boddle of blorph

Posted by: omnigoof | December 17, 2005 3:48 PM | Report abuse

R-i-i-i-i-i-i-de!!!!
R-i-i-i-i-i-i-de!!!!

[Looks like I jumped the gun at 3:39:43. Happiness is a warm Boodle.]

Posted by: Achenfan | December 17, 2005 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Hi my name is omnigood, and I'm an AchenAddict.

Posted by: omnigood | December 17, 2005 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Here's a useless bit of trivia. Or is that a bit of useless trivia. Anyway, the guy who broke the story (and it was a story) that Paul Was Dead now plays with Riders in the Sky.

Posted by: pj | December 17, 2005 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I blame this on Gene: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/endofworld.html

Posted by: jw | December 17, 2005 4:40 PM | Report abuse

They tell me that those that live by the plowshare, die by ...

So I'm watching "Finian's Rainbow", and Fred Astaire is talking to Thomas Pynchon about Dublin, and the possibility of some chick named Joyce being able to help the young son of a guy named Daedalus take a frying leap...

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 4:59 PM | Report abuse

SCC - Well, no, actually, no entry!. I manged that last one perfectly! I did, however, make it a somewhat shorter stream-of-consciousness than I originally intended, largely in order to minimize the blemishes, several of which are almost certainly present in this self-indulgence!

(I do think, in retrosoect, that I'm fonder of the spelling "ploughshare". But I'm pretty sure that in the U.S. of America of George Bush, George F. Will, & George [P. Funk] Clinton, either spelling will suffice!)

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 5:10 PM | Report abuse

jw, who is reading the Eliot poem? Sounds like Boris Karloff dropped down an octave. I realize it's half-speed, but still.....

Posted by: pj | December 17, 2005 5:14 PM | Report abuse

SCC - Well, no, actually, no entry! I managed to misspell "managed" in a way that I've managed to find completely amusing!

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 5:15 PM | Report abuse

A tip o' the hat to you, Bob S. I'm not sure what it means but give me another Guinness and I'm sure it will get better. Always nice to see Pynchon in the room.

Posted by: pj | December 17, 2005 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, pj! I considered trying to add more of Pynchon's story, and also bringing in Ulysses and Homer, but that would have been gilding the lily, I thought. (As well as ensuring that I would commit several typos) Hey, nonsense writing is a stern mistress!

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 5:26 PM | Report abuse

uhu

Posted by: inmo | December 17, 2005 5:29 PM | Report abuse

this post is brought to you by blorph induced confusion and literary impaired knowledge lack thereof (or something)

I'm goina watch a movie now

back in giddyup

Posted by: omniIdentityCrisis | December 17, 2005 5:34 PM | Report abuse

SCC: huh spelled backwards is not uhu. sorry for that lapse of making sense

Posted by: omnigoof | December 17, 2005 5:35 PM | Report abuse

omni, I hope you took your brunch break today.

Posted by: Achenfan | December 17, 2005 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Bob S.

That uhu post was me, and I'd have something more meaningfull to say if I understood. Unfortunately I'm no pj. Maybe the next BPH, or later here today, pj or you could expand my mind.

tnx n advnc

Posted by: omnigood | December 17, 2005 5:41 PM | Report abuse

When I was a kid I had a book called "Uhu the Owl."

I heart owls.

[That plural form looks like a typo, but it's not.]

[I sound like I've been drinking, but I haven't.]

Posted by: Achenfan | December 17, 2005 5:44 PM | Report abuse

They may stop the funding; place your bets.

Posted by: Reader | December 17, 2005 5:46 PM | Report abuse

[This Boodle has definitely been brought to us by the number 9.]

Posted by: Achenfan | December 17, 2005 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Ahenfan, I did. I actually ordered from the brunch menu. something..somtehing..Capixaba. A fresh "fish of the day" tomato based stew (I should know the name by now, but there it is). Plus a Bloody Mary, a glass of champagne and a cup of Brazilian coffee (the best coffee there is, the only kind I drink, besides espresso).

Posted by: omnigood | December 17, 2005 6:08 PM | Report abuse

When I was a kid I bought a wooden owl carved from brazil wood for my Moms birthday. Who could have known that some twenty years after I would fall in love with Brazil. I feel that was the best gift I ever gave.

Posted by: omnigood | December 17, 2005 6:13 PM | Report abuse

My god, I think I'm going blind.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2005 6:20 PM | Report abuse

DAMNATION

Posted by: permalink | December 17, 2005 6:43 PM | Report abuse

omni*** - Unfortunately, my little nonsense string held no deep meaning; it REALLY was a string of nonsense. But here's a breakdown:

The original boodle was (I thought) a delightfully weird string-of-consciousness (henceforth referred to as "S-of-C") referencing a number of things, to include: The Beatles (especially "Revolution 9"); the occasional quirkiness of the TypePad software; Hal the Schemer; Hal, the "2001, A Space Odyssey" computer; and even a quick pointer to the FroomFoof (by the way, "FroomFaraw" would have been better, and is an excellent possible replacement name for his column, although I still like "White House De-Briefing"!)

The entire concept of S-of-C ALWAYS brings James Joyce, Thomas Pynchon & Faulkner (among others) to my mind, specifically Joyce's "Ulysses". Joyce was Irish (like I'm from Georgia! He actually spent nearly all of his adult life elsewhere [by which I mean, in neither Ireland nor Georgia!]), and suddenly I thought of Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow" & Ireland, and came up with "Finian's Rainbow" (which, of course, has some elves & gnomes & leprechauns & the like, but actually is set somewhere near Ft. Knox, I think.).

This of course, led directly to Fred Astaire, star of "Finian's Rainbow" (which also starred Petula Clark, for those who find things like that interesting), Daedalus (Stephen Daedalus is an important character in Joyce's "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and "Ulysses"), and the Greekily mythological Icarus, who flew too close to the sun with the wings provided by his father, Daedalus (hence the "frying" leap).

Whew!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2005 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Dec 17, 2005 6:46:05 PM - is mine!

(Was there some doubt?)

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Out of all of that boring crap, I feel the need to SCC the folowing:

"Given that "S-of-C" Boodle as a starter, I then read through a few quirky Kit contributions, and I was off to the races thusly:"

It was, of course, a - Kit - as a starter. They were, of course, - 'boodle - contributions.

Siiiiigggghhh! (Head hanging lower than Tom Dooley)

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Joel, Is that available without a prescription? And if not, have you fully documented the side effects?
Back to the telly where we are trying to discover what to do with a problem like Maria....

God, I love this town.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2005 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Also, I heard from a friend of a friend that if you play the Kit backwards it says, like, "Turn me on dead man."

Cool.....

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2005 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Joel~

This is completely off topic, but I would like to ask you a question regarding your book "The Grand Idea". What would you say you are most trying to prove in the narrative? and what are the 2 incidents you would say most support your point? ...let me know if you have a chance... thanks!

Posted by: Nicole B | December 17, 2005 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Joel~

Posted by: Nicole B | December 17, 2005 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Nicole - Were you looking for four incidents, or the same two twice?

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Nicole - Do you think this is a different question, or the same one again?

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 8:21 PM | Report abuse

And now for something completely different - a little parable about the use of search engine parameters.

I was too lazy to look back through 'boodle entries to find the link to 'Achenbach FAQ' at Mo's 'blog, so I thought I'd use Google to get me there. My entry of the search terms "mo blog" returned (theoretically, anyway) over fifteen million possibilities, and none of the first 800 or so seemed to be give me what I wanted.

My next search used the terms "achenbach mo blog". Number one was a link to the Dec. 02 A'blog Kit & 'boodle, number two was a link directly to the item of interest within Mo's 'blog.

Gosh, sometimes it sure helps to know how to ask the question!

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 8:31 PM | Report abuse

SCC:

And I HATE it when something or someone don't seemed to be give me what I want!!

Posted by: Bob S. | December 17, 2005 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Bob S.

It's Den Of Darkness

or more specifically

www.mortiifera.com

Posted by: omnigood | December 17, 2005 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I read the kit backwards, it says Paul is dead. Oh hell, he's still alive.

It also says Joel is dog.

I'm so confused.

Posted by: silvertongue | December 17, 2005 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, nobody told me there was a new kit! (Not that I was looking - I've been busy, it's Saturday, it's Christmas, you know...)

Yeah, RD, I want some of what Joel's got...Hmmm, think I'll put on the Cream reunion again and have some Sweet Wine...

Sweet wine, hay making, sunshine day breaking.
We can wait till tomorrow.
Car speed, road calling, bird freed, leaf falling.
We can bide time.

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 17, 2005 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Nicole B, it's not fair to have Joel do your homework...

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 17, 2005 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Antelope Freeway, 1 mile...

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 17, 2005 9:56 PM | Report abuse

As Dog is my witness, I meant to be gently humorous with Nicole! I wasn't trying to chase her/it/him away, or mess up him/her/its research project!

(I hope that you'll understand that [as I mentioned to some excited person a few weeks back ... c'mon, you know who I mean!] I don't actually believe that any of "you" possess [if you exist at all, outside of my own mind and/or computer] gender, race, hair color, or other identifiers except insofar as you create them here, and Nicole B gave me no insight other than a stereotypically [in the English-speaking areas of the world] female name to work with. Therefore, in these increasingly sensitive times, I feel the need to be careful about my assumptions and references to it/her/him!)

Posted by: Bob S. | December 18, 2005 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Quitting the paradise I existed within I descended to the earth plane to explain the miracle of beingness to the frogs of love. Swiveling around I beheld the pregnant pause of her friendliknees winking at me. I bent over to pick up the cliche I had dropped, all was silent as I moved towards the open skys. Buttressing my personal favorite alliances were a pair of dove coats, within swaining distance....

Water drifted underneath the fog of my awareness as I saw a pinnacle of doubt swimming towards me. I threw my bowl of emptiness to the winds and began throwing a stick into the water....she lunged for it.

Posted by: Afro Mercy | December 18, 2005 2:04 PM | Report abuse

It became apparent something was occuring that she had no prior knowledge of, thank gawd....

Pleasant kissing of the muse speckled the egg of her puissance....melting all resistance to the understanding of the naked absence of malice.

Posted by: Lifting her brows with pernicious twisting | December 18, 2005 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Bob S., mostlylurking, and JOEL~
To Bob:I apologize for sending the same post twice...my computer kinda freaked out and did it all by itself actually. In regards to your him/her/it no details problem...I am a her (well a she actually, for proper english's sake, or no?), and for some other insight, not that you probably care, I am caucasian and I have blonde hair...any other questions?
...and to you Mr. "Mostlylurking": I wasn't trying to have him actually do my homework, just assist me with it...I am a super busy college student trying to finish up finals week for a semester in which I psychotically took 25 hours(8 classes)...and I have to write a 10-12 page paper on his book and i just thought he might like to give me his opinion, you know to make him feel special...don't worry, he didn't answer me anyways...tear!

and to you JOEL: ANSWER MY QUESTION...PLEASE!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nicole B | December 18, 2005 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Nicole B, didn't mean to be snarky. I assure you I have no influence over whether Joel responds...I haven't read that book, but maybe others who have will chime in with their thoughts.

And that's Ms. mostlylurking...

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 18, 2005 11:38 PM | Report abuse

pj, that's Gene on the recording, believe it or not.

Posted by: jw | December 19, 2005 8:03 AM | Report abuse

I think Joel should give "Nicole B" one of his Speeches to Remember.

Posted by: Achenfan | December 19, 2005 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I would guess that a shrewd reading of the book's dust jacket would probably reveal the answers Nicole seeks.

Posted by: jw | December 19, 2005 10:20 AM | Report abuse

sorry Ms. mostlylurking...i guess the whole lurking thing just made me think you must be a guy...i don't usually think of lurking as a girl thing to do...anyways, has anyone on here read Joel's "The Grand Idea", if so, would you like to provide any insight? you would be awesome if you did... :)

Posted by: Nicole B. | December 19, 2005 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Nicole B:
If you are in fact a "super busy college student trying to finish up finals week," then shouldn't you be doing just that, rather than hanging out here?

[And before you get ready to address me as Mr. Tom or some such thing, I will point out that I am female. But you probably already knew that. I'm guessing that you are in fact male -- a male who likes to portray his female "characters" as Achenditzes.]

Posted by: Tom fan | December 19, 2005 12:02 PM | Report abuse

dude...tom fan person (i get that you are a girl), i'm a girl too...i'm not hanging out here...i was hoping to get some insight...i realize i am about to make myself look stupid, but i don't even know what "Achenditzes" means...have you ever met a boy named Nicole? seriously now...

Posted by: Nicole B. | December 19, 2005 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Achenditzes: Noun

1) all boodlers at some point in the boodling day.

I'm sure this is the worst dictionary type post ever, but I am certain the definition is right.

Posted by: dr | December 19, 2005 6:37 PM | Report abuse