Planet OGLE BLOG!!!

Here is where we can go when we realize we have destroyed our home planet: OGLE 2005-BLG-390Lb.

Planet Ogle Blog is a Sagittarius. It's 20,000 light-years away (as you know, a "light-year" is not a unit of time, but a unit of distance, specifically the distance that a person must travel in a darkened home during a power outtage in search of a flashlight). It is the most "Earth-like" planet yet found. It's not some gas giant in an eccentric orbit, but a rocky, icy world. It is almost surely devoid of life. Though, at the rate we're going, that could someday be considered another "Earth-like" feature.

Here's the dope from the National Science Foundation: "Using a relatively new planet-hunting technique that can spot worlds one-tenth the mass of our own, researchers have discovered a potentially rocky, icy body that may be the smallest planet yet found orbiting a star outside our solar system. The discovery suggests the technique, gravitational microlensing, may be an exceptional technology for finding distant planets with traits that could support life.... Located more than 20,000 light years away in the constellation Sagittarius, close to the center of our Milky Way galaxy, planet OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb is approximately five-and-a-half times the mass of Earth."

Let us hope they keep the name. Planet Ogle Blog! No doubt it already has a website (adults only).

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 25, 2006; 1:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2005: Hottest Year, Or Just Second Hottest?
Next: Bush's War Powers

Comments

It does have a blog, but it's a letdown ...

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 25, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Ogle family is now wondering why their hit count just shot up (does 35 hits count as "shot up"?)

Posted by: mizerock | January 25, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Bayou Self, I'll have to take your word that it's a let down. I got a Thou Shalt Not Visit This Site message when I clicked the link. Always makes me curious...

Posted by: ABJunkie | January 25, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I think this is where one should get prepared by playing that kids' game, "I'm going to Planet Ogle Blog, and in my suitcase I packed..." Just in case we kill this planet.

I'm going to Planet Ogle Blog and I am packing Legumes of all kinds.

Posted by: dr | January 25, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Ha. Your timing is impeccable, chief.

I was reading up on that over lunchtime.

Planet Ogle Blog's still a little chilly for my tastes (-364 F), though the neighborhoods and schools are a little nicer in the urban areas closer to the galactic center (Trantor, specifically.).

Everybody wants to get off-planet and out of the sticks (e.g. Earth) to the bright lights of the Galactic core, but in our economically challenged area, we're all stuck with our dead-end jobs, our corrupt local govenment, and our entropy, awaiting the heat death of the Multiverse and The Long Long Night.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 25, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ruh-oh. New kit, and the time travelling post in the prvious kit disappears. Be afraid. Be really really afraid.

Posted by: omnigood | January 25, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"researchers have discovered a potentially rocky, icy body that may be the smallest planet yet found", and massing roughly 5.5 Earths.

Hey, they found Karl Rove's mom.

Ba-dump-bump.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 25, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm back.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 25, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

This is where I have problems; when people like you play fast and loose with the facts, and so you can't be trusted at all, and your credibility is zero. And then what should be a serious subject is lost in the noise of nonsense. Sorry, but this kind of stuff really does irritate me greatly.

Let me count the ways that the "facts" in your blog are wrong, and that just with respect to one small part of it.

1. According to NWS, the period January 1-24, 2006 is only the 9th warmest on record at DCA. Three of the seven warmest such periods occurred during the 1930s, when the weather over this entire country was quite remarkable for its high-temperature records. It's been unusually warm so far this January but not amazingly warm.

2. Alaska, which would be expected to feel the effects of global warming much more than our area, has had quite a cold winter. For example, Fairbanks was -40 at 5 this morning (normal would be about -19), and January has been consistently cold in the Arctic. November was as well. It's also been cold in eastern Europe and Asia. Looking at the records of a little over 3 weeks at one location is almost completely meaningless.

3. The thermometer hasn't hit the 70s in Washington this January, not even close. The highest temperature recorded at DCA so far this January has been 65. No high-temperature records have been set at DCA this month.

4. This January so far has been nearly as much colder than "your average March" as it's been warmer than "your average January."

Your blog is less than helpful.

Posted by: David Policansky | January 25, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

ABJunkie - The link takes me to a family, the Ogle family, and stories about what's up with the Ogles.

It starts with:

"Here it is 6 days before Christmas and we are finally getting all settled in. We have our Christmas shopping all completed. We are almost completely unpacked except for ..."

It goes on from there, but it's not too interesting. In the interest of being interesting, who would care to complete the sentence?

I'll offer up ... "our many boxes of legumes."

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 25, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

BS,

Pls save your haughty comments for others. The Ogle family are honorable, typical, upstanding Americans. You are showing a bias.

Their blog is at least as interesting as the recent account of a cruise that appeared in these pages.

Please be sensitive. If I am out of line, just tell me.

Posted by: Vulvix | January 25, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

bc: Trantor! Well done! Wonder how many of us understood the reference? So ordered without objection, I'm awarding you the Dennis Miller cool-but-obscure reference award. (Wonder if the Lonemule is related to the Mule?)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

This discovery is indeed encouraging news. My plan is to have my next incarnation on Ogle Blog. I'll spend however long it takes in the non-physical realm between this life and the next, waiting for things to get established on O-Blog, where I'll be reborn. I'll avoid the end of the world drama, and the hassle and jet lag involved in migrating to another planet. (I imagine such jet lag would include all sorts of weird aging effects.) I probably won't even remember being an Earthling (although I might have the occasional weird dream about it).

AND I'm a Sagittarius, just like Ogle Blog. I think this is a good omen. Not to mention the fact that the planet's name has the word "Blog" in it. (Too bad I won't be able to take my lime-green Achenshirt with me. [Sorry -- now I'm just being silly.])

Posted by: Dreamer | January 25, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I am only a distant cousin, but I thoroughly object to your making fun of us.

BTW, this BLOG STINKS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Marvin Ogle | January 25, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I posted a link to this blog in the Ogleblog comments section, so don't feel like you can talk behind their backs here.

I personally love to go to random people's blogs and read what they are doing. They aren't writing it to entertain total strangers, so if you're not entertained, it's not their fault. On the other hand, I find it interesting, and I give them credit for leaving it where I can read it. It shows a generous spirit.

Posted by: Reader | January 25, 2006 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Vulvix - The Ogles aren't bad folks. I intended no disrespect. I just didn't find them all that interesting. Nobody in the family is doing time. Nobody in the family is doing scientific experiments in the basement. Nobody in the family is the skipper of a nuclear sub. And so on. I'm pretty dull myself. No big whoop.

As to a comparison to the cruise report, that too could've used a bit of a spicing up. At least one man overboard would've been a plus. But at least one of the cruise reports did include the word "cumberbund," so that's something.

Finally, I don't believe my remarks qualify as haughty. Which (ding, ding, ding!) brings us to our word of the day, sponsored by the Ogle Family.

Main Entry: haugh·ty
Pronunciation: 'ho-tE, 'hä-
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): haugh·ti·er; -est
Etymology: obsolete haught, from Middle English haute, from Middle French haut, literally, high, from Latin altus -- more at OLD
: blatantly and disdainfully proud
synonym see PROUD
- haugh·ti·ly /'ho-t&l-E, 'hä-/ adverb
- haugh·ti·ness /'ho-tE-n&s, 'hä-/ noun

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 25, 2006 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I think I understand what is going on here, but I need to think about it for a couple of days.

I am a little slow, but am honest.

Please do not deport me.

Posted by: Jakob Clithanger | January 25, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Bayou Self, was that you who posted a dictionary definition of "kibosh" to the Fisher blog t'other day?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, I posted the definition to Wiengarten's chat yesterday...

Posted by: slyness | January 25, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon - Nope. And since I made disparaging remarks about Fisher stealin' the January 24 story, I'm not sure that I'm allowed over there. Okay, I made that up.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 25, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so freezing cold and, at 5.5 times the mass of Earth, I'm gonna weigh a ton.

Sounds like that time I fell in a snowbank after Christmas dinner . . .

Plus, I don't think the name Ogle Blog is going to stick. I mean, Dreamer already shortened it to O-Blog. Pretty soon, the sci-fi folks are going to be calling it Hoth, I bet.

Do they have internet access on O-Blog? If not, how will I be able to follow the A-Blog???

Posted by: Paul | January 25, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha the Mule. Good one Mudge.

And for dreamer http://members.comics.com/members/common/affiliateArchive.do?site=washpost&comic=dilbert

Posted by: omnigood | January 25, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Actually, 'mudge, when I wrote 'Trantor' I was wondering if The Lonemule were going to catch it...

And thanks for the Dennis Miller Obscurity award.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 25, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

SCC: substitute "was" for "were".

bc

Posted by: bc | January 25, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, omni! Wow, what a coincidence -- I swear I didn't see today's Dilbert before I posted that jet lag comment.

Further evidence of the holographic nature of the Universe.

Posted by: Dreamer | January 25, 2006 2:56 PM | Report abuse

In-jokes, a la "Trantor" are an enterprise for the small of mind.

Get over it. Think big. Be democratic and fair. Be an American for Goodness sake!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 25, 2006 2:59 PM | Report abuse

my question is... what would we, the inhabitants of Planet Ogle Blog, be called? Earth = earthlings... Ogle Blog = Ogle Blogings? Ogle Blogians?

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Oglers.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 25, 2006 3:10 PM | Report abuse

mo? Is that really you? I don't know . . . lots of capital letters in there, and you're usually a lowercase kind of 'boodler . . .

Posted by: Tom fan | January 25, 2006 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What would we call the poeple who make fun of the good Ogle family. You should be ashamed.

I pray for your redaction.

I also pray for your redemption.

Posted by: Marvin Ogle | January 25, 2006 3:14 PM | Report abuse

We would be called "Nuts". Just plain old "Nuts".

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 25, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Bayou Self, thanks for filling me in. I'm only more curious now though. The gatekeeper message read: The Websense category "Sex" is filtered.

Posted by: ABJunkie | January 25, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

tom fan - yes, it's me... sorry to have been gone for so long!! (change in job location and responsibilites leaves so little time to boodle and no time to catch up!) i used caps cuz it was proper names...

cass - i'm already called nuts - not very definitive of a person residing on Planet Ogle Blog.

marvin ogle - HAH! do you still have your space gun?

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

mo! That really you? Welcome back.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Good to see you, mo! Hey, did you see the details for the next BPH, posted in a previous 'boodle?

Posted by: Tom fan | January 25, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Are we here now? Or on the last one? I just posted another absurdly long comment (also kinda testy) on that one. I will spare you from reposting it here.

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 25, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Caution: Bob Denver Reference approaching.

How about "Far Out Space Nuts"?

bc

Posted by: bc | January 25, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

thanks mudge!! what did i miss? how was the cruise??? i guess you posted about it but there's so many boodles to catch up on!

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

tom fan! no, i didn't! please repost or e-mail me!!!

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I love the Ogles. I want to move in with the Ogles. Who's making fun of the Ogles?

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 25, 2006 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The cruise was jake.

The cruise diarrhea was very detailed, but fully posted herein. I highly recommend it instread of an enemaa.

Posted by: Jakob C | January 25, 2006 3:29 PM | Report abuse

mo, dear -

The Usual Location- McCormack & Schmicks on K st, 5 PM February 7th.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 25, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

mo:
(and others):
The 4th Official Boodle Porching Hour will be held on Tuesday, February 7, at the usual venue -- McCormick & Schmick's on K Street, 5:00 p.m. to ???
[obligatory geeky notation for "late"]
[And while I'm at it, I'll add this to the invite: "Be there, or be square."]

Posted by: Tom fan | January 25, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

or in my case be there and be square

Posted by: omnigoof | January 25, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Boodled Out of Order.

[bc: Do you think you should be calling mo "dear"? Makes it sounds like she's a little old lady who can barely find her way across the street, don't you think? Or am I being overly sensitive? What do you think, mo?]

Posted by: Tom fan | January 25, 2006 3:34 PM | Report abuse

mo, I'd be happy to re-post my entire cruise commentary, except I seem to have acquired my own personal virtual stalker. (Plus, it was 47 pages long. But that was only "Vol. I: We Depart Norfolk." I'm still working on "Vol. II: The Cruel Sea.")

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone said the average temp on Planet Ogle Blog is -354 F? That's what it was out here in Iowa in December.

Posted by: Sundog | January 25, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I've communicated with a number of Ogliods over the years in the course of my official duties, and their general response to inquiries about their homeworld roughly translates as "Take our planet- please! Why the freznap do you think we came all this way? To answer stupid questions? Stand clear of the vending machines or be absorbed."

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 25, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse

you can e-mail me mudge!

tom fan - it was a term of endearment so it doesn't make me feel old - esp coming from bc! hehehehe

this isn't a going away bph for tom fan is it??? *please say no please say no*

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

mo, welcome back--

Here's the permalink to Curmudgeon's main report:

Posted by: Reader | January 25, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Curm.'s directive says plainly: call her "Dear"--no problem

Curm re stalker--don't worry, just publish it. We would all love to read it again. I *feart* your travelogue.

Posted by: Jane Goldfarb | January 25, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

k-guy - Ogliods, i like that...

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I just hope they have Twix bars in those vending machines.

"TWIX!!!!!!!"

-- George Costanza

Posted by: Achenfan | January 25, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Interstellar Transhuman Space Opera

Husband;
Fly me to OGLE-BLG
(Away from pollution, overpopulation and smog)
Let me zip among the stars
Let me see what living could be like on
Jupiter and Mars

(Science Tim:
Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I really understand
I love my job five days a week
An astrophysics man, an astrophysics man.)

Husband:
In other words
Hold my hand
In other words
Baby kiss me
(Cause I'm leavin' on a space ship
Don't know when I'll be back (get a grip)
Oh babe, I hate to go

There's so many times lift-offs left you down
So many times I've orbited around
I tell you now, they don't mean a thing
Every planet I go, I'll think of you
Every song I sing, I'll sing for you
When I come back, I'll bring you Jupiter's rings)

Fill my cerebellum with digitized song
And let me sing forever more
You are all I long for
All I wish for and adore

In other words
Please be true
Because it may be 20,000 light years
Before I can ever see you

(This is the dawning of the age of Sagittarius
The age of Sagittarius
Sagittarius!
Sagittarius!
Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding...)

Wife:
Fill my pacemaker and bionic body with song
Let me sing forever more
You are all I long for,
All I wish for and adore

In other words
Please be true
On OGLE-BLG it's cold, rocky, and barren
My greatest fear--your intergalactic harem
In other words
In other words
I'll miss you

Husband:
She packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the Earth so much I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here-- alone (?)

Posted by: Loomis | January 25, 2006 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Loomis is workin' my turf again (but she's doin' a pretty good job, so maybe it's no harm no foul).

FYI, ScienceTim isn't the only one posting on the previous blog--there seems to be quite a lot of stuff back there, worth a re-visit.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Yep, mo, this will be my last BPH -- unless the BPHs are still going strong in 3 years' time, when, in theory, we will return to Washington (although my mother tells me that such a move would be "taking a step backwards," because clearly the only thing to do after moving to Hong Kong would be to move back to Australia; we shall see, we shall see).

I'm glad the "dear" thing didn't make you feel old; it probably would have made me feel like Grandma Moses. So much for my resolution to transcend umbrage.

Posted by: Tom fan | January 25, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

SCC: previous boodle, not blog.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 3:51 PM | Report abuse

thanks reader!

oh tom fan! say it aint so!!! well - i'm VERY glad i stopped in when i did!!

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Tom fan, Jonathan Yardley wrote a review in December of a book that looks like it'd be right up your alley, about an English boy who spent a lot of his childhood growing up in Hong Kong. The review is at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/08/AR2005120801634.html

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Tom fan, perhaps Majorca or Dubrovnik, we shall see, we shall see.

Posted by: Nani | January 25, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Another sign of the impending apocalypse: two 'boodles going strong simultaneously.

Yikes!

Posted by: omnigood | January 25, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

We will toast you at the last BPH, dearie.

I will be there with my significant other, Jakob Cl.

I just can't wait.

Posted by: Jane Goldfarb | January 25, 2006 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Coruscant is Lucas's rip-off of Trantor. Just add it to the rather long list of "homages" the SW series pays to great literary SF locations and ideas that will now seem deriviative if someone actually manages to do them right.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 25, 2006 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Ha, Nani!
"Oh, I've been everywhere. You name a place, I've been there."

Posted by: Tom fan | January 25, 2006 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I think the conclusive and (as the lawyers say) dispositive statement about global warming can be found here: http://www.transbuddha.com/index.php/buddha/will_ferrell_bush_on_global_warming1/

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I think one of the reasons the previous boodle is still going is because it now has a major link (with JA's photo, yet) on the WaPo home page.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 4:32 PM | Report abuse

To everybody. I am home now and away from the time distortion field. Clearly I can no longer post from work. Something on our end is confusing typepad. I hope to post from time to time at home, although I know that this is when the trolls come out. That wasn't me at 1:59:08 in case anybody wondered. Keep up the good daytime boodling. I'll be watching from a safe distance. And regarding the 7 February BPH. It was delightful.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 25, 2006 5:00 PM | Report abuse

mudge - wow! great to see you had a good time! i went to a resort in mexico (cancun) and they treated us like royalty and made those little towel animals as well - ah, i could get used to that! (being treated like royalty - tho i did love those little animals!)

you MUST go back to Puerto Rico! i LOVE it! you hafta hike in El Yunque!

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 5:07 PM | Report abuse

RD Padouk:
"And regarding the 7 February BPH. It was delightful."

Ha!

Keep on posting, RD, even during troll prime time. The truth is, there's plenty of troll/'loper activity during daylight hours, too (exhibit A: the 1:59:08 comment; I guess you should feel flattered). However, we'd understand if you didn't want to be left all alone in the Boodle with a troll/'loper in the middle of the night.

(I've been thinking, it's probably not accurate to call THE 'loper a troll -- he cares too much. Your average garden-variety troll isn't that invested.)

Posted by: Tom fan | January 25, 2006 5:14 PM | Report abuse

mo, what resort in Cancun? The reason we went on a cruise is we were supposed to go to Cancun in November, but got wiped out by Hurricane Wilma. So the cruise was the fallback. I've read they did a phenomenal job rebuilding as fast as they could. Been to Cancun twice before; this was to have been our third trip. We're taking some of the kids and grandkids next winter (we own a timeshare at the Palace resorts group).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 5:31 PM | Report abuse

mudge - i was at the marriott resort - (there's two - i don't remember which one)... i was crushed when i heard that it was wiped out! but i'm glad they are rebuilding so fast! that place is just AMAZING! did you get to chichen itza or the yucatan?

Posted by: mo | January 25, 2006 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Report from OGLE 2005-BLG-390Lb

My God, it's full of stars!

6:05:59

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 25, 2006 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I think 6:05:59 will replace 42 as the answer to the question, "What is the meaning of life?"

[6:06:50 -- so close, RD! A for effort.]

Posted by: Achenfan | January 25, 2006 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, been to Chichen Itza twice, and could go back every visit to the Yucatan. CI is almost overwhelming. The place I really like is Tulum, which is more human-scale, and to me more haunting. (And as a tourist, I love Xel-Ha and X-Caret--which is wear I like to take my now-notorious flippers, for swimming midst the fishies in the lagoons.) Also like to snorkel off Isla Mujeres, and see the sleeping sharks down below.

The place I haven't been yet but am dying to see is the biosphere preserve at Sian Kahn south of Tulum.

Last night on PBS there was a really interesting (well, if you're into that sort of thing, which I am) show about the most recent explorations of pre-classic Mayan civilization at El Mirador. Among the findings was the previously unknown discovery that the Mayans go back many centuries B.C. (the classical period is usually dated from about 200 A.D. onward)--and also the probable reason that the El Mirador site collapsed before then--they ruined their own environment by cutting too much brush and trees to make limestone to plaster the city walls. When the forest was gone, the bare ground turned to swamp, which wiped out their agriculture. What a cautionary tale! (which of course is being ignored.)

I have a Maya language tape, and started to try to teach myself some Mayan, but it's a hopelessly lost cause. I can't even make some of those sounds.

Do you know Perico's restaurant in Cancun City?

Maybe the reason I like the Mayans so much is that, at 5 foot 5 inches, I'm the tallest guy in Quintana Roo (other gringos notwithstanding). I could be the starting center on an all-Yucatan basketball team.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Reader: Typepad hung up on me, and for a moment there I was afraid it wouldn't post at all. Although I doubt 6:05:59 will threaten 42's place in history, goodness knows I will never forget it!

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 25, 2006 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it could replace 666.
Or number 9:
Number 6:05:59 . . . Number 6:05:59 . . . Number 6:05:59 . . . El Dorado.

Posted by: Achenfan | January 25, 2006 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I've seen that El Mirador program. I have always been fascinated by Mayan culture. There used to be a link to an online Mayan alpahbet (or what have you) that I enjoyed. A fascinating place. I shall see if I still have the link somewhere and will pass it on if I do.

Posted by: dr | January 25, 2006 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that the online version and the paper version of Dilbert have a different punchline? Get out your Business Sections, folks, and take a look!

Posted by: TBG | January 25, 2006 7:34 PM | Report abuse

mo and Mudge,

You are both talking about a program about Mayan culture. Was this a PBS show?

The San Antonio Museum of Art had a lecture around the November timeframe that I attended that featured David Stuart and his dad George, both researchers into Mayan language and culture. They traded off speaking to the full, small lecture hall, had slides--it was a fascinating hour or more. Dad George Stuart has been involved with National Geographic Society for a number of years, son David Stuart is a whiz at a several languages of the area--both contemporary and ancient.

(It's no surprise that you're not mastering Mayan, Mudge. Hearing David Stuart speak it was fascinating--linguistically.)

The Palenque decipherment work began an epigraphic revolution. Since then, the field has been blessed with a number of young, gifted epigraphers, including Stephen Houston, 34, and David Stuart, 28, who began his career as a child. The son of Maya archaeologists George and Gene Stuart, he made his first trip to Maya ruins at the age of three, and by 1984, at 18, was so skilled at deciphering glyphs that he became the youngest recipient ever of a MacArthur Foundation "genius" grant. Stuart's next project is nothing less than cataloging every known Maya inscription, a task he guesses could take him the rest of his life. "There is at least another century of work; it will go on long after I'm gone," he says.

Ancient Mayan Mural Found in Guatemala

Talk of the Nation, December 14, 2005 · Archaeologists have uncovered an elaborate wall of 2,000-year-old Mayan murals buried in a tunnel deep in Guatemala's northern jungle.

Guest: David Stuart, professor of art history; director, Mesoamerican Center, University of Texas

David Stuart began deciphering Maya hieroglyphic inscriptions at the age of eight, and at 18 he became the youngest recipient of a MacArthur "genius grant." Now at Harvard University's Peabody Museum, he is a world-renowned expert on the written language of the ancient Maya. Among other fieldwork in Mexico and Guatemala, he is part of an ongoing project to record and preserve the monumental Hieroglyphic Stairway at Copán in Honduras. In this series of film clips, join Stuart as he guides you to some of Copán's greatest treasures.

Posted by: Loomis | January 25, 2006 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I have this creeping suspicion someone put the wrong coordinates into the gravitational microlenser, and we're really just talking about Titan all over again...

RDP, re: 6:06:50 -- No mention of large black rectangular obelisks?

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 25, 2006 8:05 PM | Report abuse

You know Scottynuke, somehow I just knew that nearly everyone who posts here would get the 2001 reference. And those that didn't would look it up.

And Achenfan - 666 was on my mind all day long until Joel and Hal finally put me out of my misery and deleted my "time travelling" posts (There were briefly TWO of them...) If you are familiar with the movie "Donnie Darko," there is a bit about knowing the exact day and time the universe is supposed to end. I kept thinking of that also.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 25, 2006 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Re: Dilbert mystery

TBG, you have to bring that up in Weingarten's chat and see if he can explain it!

Posted by: Reader | January 25, 2006 8:59 PM | Report abuse

No wonder you people keep looking to the stars...Nobody on planet earth can stand this BLOG......Because......

This BLOG stinks!!!!!!!!

Posted by: The Lonemule | January 25, 2006 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Linda, here's the Nat. Geo. description:

"Dawn of the Maya" (#2105)
Thanks to more than 100 years of research, much more is now known about the classic Maya period, an era of great cities ruled by powerful kings. Now, a revolution in Maya studies is pushing back the clock as scientists discover the dawn of the Maya. In the jungles of Guatemala, National Geographic archeologist Richard Hansen has discovered a previously unknown dynasty - kings who built the biggest pyramid on earth hundreds of years before the Spaniards arrived. Not far away, another National Geographic archeologist, Bill Saturno, has found a mural that dates from the pre-classic Maya period as well. The first such mural found in 50 years, it is also the oldest ever discovered. It shows that the elaborate Maya mythology so familiar from the classic period was likely in place hundreds of years earlier than previously thought. And in yet another National Geographic-funded Guatemalan archaeological site, extraordinary carvings at a newly excavated temple show that the early Maya made significant artistic achievements. These and other finds covered in this new National Geographic Special are showing that the great Maya civilization was already flourishing around the time of Christ, suffered a collapse and went through a great resurgence, all before the Europeans arrived.

Rebroadcast; 56 min
Attributes:
Types:
Air Times: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 09:00 PM
(Channel: MPT) [local affiliate of PBS]

dr, I think I know the site you mean with the Maya alphabet. In a previous lifetime, in a galaxy long ago and far, far away, during one of my sojourns into the Dark Side, I worked in the IT department of a school (and taught computer stuff to 6th and 7th graders, one class a day, a punishment worse than death). I can't remember the circumstances that led up to it, but one day I had to substitute for a 9th or 10th grade class on short notice, and downloaded the alphabet stuff from that site, and "taught" (as much as one can in 50 minutes, to hormone-crazed teens) them the rudiments of the Mayan alphabet. They actually liked it, most of them, I think because of the relative ease of drawing the glyphs. The math, on the other hand (IIRC, the Maya used a base 8 system, didn't they?) was pretty tough, even for me.

I think one of the Stuarts was on the Nat. Geo. show; there was a fellow attempting to decode the El Mirador writing, which is unlike (because it appears to be a pre-cursor) later Mayan writing/glyphs.

Couldn't immediately find out if/when the show will be re-run.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 25, 2006 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Man, I can't wait for those lazy hazy days of summer. Just me, the hot humid weather and my big can of Gold Bond.....

Ahhhh........I gotta go take my skivies out of the freeze!!!!!!!!

Posted by: The Lonemule | January 25, 2006 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Memo: From now on, all references to Hal shall include the phrase "Open the pod-bay door."

That is all.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 25, 2006 10:39 PM | Report abuse

RD Padouk, in case you didn't see my comment on the previous boodle - don't go! I time travelled too awhile back - it was eerie, and I do post more "gingerly" now...

mo, glad to see you again! Have you visited the cutest panda cub in DC yet?

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 25, 2006 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, this link is for the PBS Nova series "Lost King of the Maya" and appears to have four parts. I don't know if the four parts comprise just one program or are four separate programs--or if it's the National Geographic program. That said, however, if you connect to the NPR link tht I provided earlier, you'll hear that Stuart's remarks (he now no longer at Harvard but UT Austin) on the Dec. 2005 NPR radio show are a match to the paragraph you typed:

"I think one of the Stuarts was on the Nat. Geo. show; there was a fellow attempting to decode the El Mirador writing, **which is unlike (because it appears to be a pre-cursor) later Mayan writing/glyphs**."

Those earlier glyphs--dating to I think 100 B.C.--are a great deal diferent than the later Mayan glyphs. Without doubt, I think it's Stuart whom you saw on the program you watched last night--plus David Stuart and Saturno have been close collaborators.

Posted by: Loomis | January 25, 2006 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Why is Global Warming such a big Left-Right issue? Don't Republicans sweat?

Posted by: ot | January 26, 2006 12:50 AM | Report abuse

this might be the record for "off-topicness"...

a tribute to the Nicholas Brothers:

Posted by: ot | January 26, 2006 1:57 AM | Report abuse

ot, that was GREAT! Got my day going, that's for sure!

Posted by: TBG | January 26, 2006 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Mo, welcome back!!

BS --

"I can't do that, Dave."

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 7:36 AM | Report abuse

To see those Nicholas brothers perform! What talent--they CAN sing and they CAN dance! I'm charmed by them. What a great way to start the morning! Thanks, ot!

Posted by: Loomis | January 26, 2006 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Loomis

You're here late at night, early in the morning, any chance you get to sleep in between? No offense intended.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 26, 2006 8:04 AM | Report abuse

On the very early Macintosh computers, you could set your alarm "beep" to be Hal's voice: "I'm sorry Dave, I don't think I can do that." It was very creepy.

(I don't think DOS made any noise at that time on "IBM" pcs).

Remember.. it used to be Mac vs IBM-compatible. Ha!

Posted by: TBG | January 26, 2006 8:14 AM | Report abuse

If I had the inclination (and if I actually turned on my PC speakers at work), I'd have my e-mail and system alerts use Warner Bros. cartoon audio... *nods*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Happy Australia Day, everyone!

On this day in 1788, Captain Arthur Phillip became the first Governor of the colony at New South Wales.

I'll be hoisting a quick stubbie this evening in salute....FIRE! (that was for you, Scotty).

bc

Posted by: bc | January 26, 2006 8:42 AM | Report abuse

bc;

"Have a Drink on Me" and Happy Australia Day!

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Not familiar with the Nicholas brothers. Are they still living?

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 26, 2006 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Two other quick comments:

1. I was busy yesterday afternoon and evening, so I didn't get 'round to the "mo, dear" question. I didn't think it was inappropriate (I was shooting for silly and affectionate), but was willing to stand for correction if warranted by some sort of umbrage.

2. Yes, I am wearing an AC/DC t-shirt underneath my business attire today.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 26, 2006 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Ooooh, oooooooooh! Blog contest!!

Which AC/DC t-shirt is bc wearing??

I vote for the "For Those About to Rock" album cover...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Investing in Ogle-Blog real estate now will be good for your grandchildren's future. Within a century of colonization and industrialization by earthlings, Ogle-Blog will be a much warmer planet. Word is out that the Fremen from Arakis are getting the best deals in the O-B realty market, buying up the most barren and desert-like sites.

Posted by: Shiloh | January 26, 2006 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Incorrect, Scotty.

I would also add that the shirt I would prefer wearing is in the wash.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 26, 2006 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I just realized someone else has a newkidontheblog blog and it is so not me. OK, so I don't get any points for originality and I'm so unsavvy it didn't occur to me to check that first. Time for a new handle, maybe just newkid, oops didn't check that one either.

Posted by: newkidontheblog | January 26, 2006 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I hope someone today can explain how Teflon sticks to the pan. (I once tried that in my Why Things Are days, but I can't remember the answer.)

There will be a new kit later. I have to write a column, about vulgarity if you must know. I'm all for it, in the proper context. I am really rather worried that certain words are losing their zing through overuse. And yes, I blame blogs. And I blame Bush. I blame Bush for the increase in vulgarity, because he has divided the nation and both sides feel they have to shout to be heard and a vulgarity (is there such a thing as a "vulgarity" or is there only an "obscenity"?) is an intensifier. Also I think I blame global warming. Stronger hurricanes, stronger language. It's all part of a pattern.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 26, 2006 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was "a vulgarism."

Posted by: Tom fan | January 26, 2006 9:47 AM | Report abuse

This online interactive community characterized by topical subjects and comments, typically referred to as a web-log, emits a dissatisfactory and offensive olfactory sensation.

Posted by: Unaccompanied sterile hybrid offspring of a male donkey and a female horse | January 26, 2006 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I think they coat the pan with peanut butter first. EVERYTHING sticks to peanut butter.

And as I've always said, vulgarity is simply an increase in emotional volume. We're in an age of emotional discourse, not polite or intelligent discourse (apart from most of the boodlers here), so an increase in vulgarity follows naturally.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 9:50 AM | Report abuse

9:48:24 was not posted by Lonemule. I just wanted to see how the post would look in an alternate universe.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 26, 2006 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, then why does peanut butter help get gum out of kid's hair?

I heard that report on PFOA on NPR this AM, then thought about the non-stick pans in my kitchen. I wonder how much PFOA is in my family's bloodstreams with all the Teflon that comes off with our scrambled eggs?

Of course the Timed Release Teflon Delivery System does keep us pretty regular...

bc

Posted by: bc | January 26, 2006 10:00 AM | Report abuse

And by the by, you do have to shout to be heard over the noise of invasions and nation building in the name of eliminating WMDs and the Terrorists Who Threaten To Use Them.

Er, I mean Making the World Safe For Democracy and SUVs.

Noisy work, that.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 26, 2006 10:05 AM | Report abuse

bc;

The peanut butter's already sticking to your hand and the gum, so it's preoccupied and doesn't notice the hair...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Annonymous: A clever parody of our friend Lone Mule's signature commment. I must admit though, I starting to like this person. By his/her constant comments, he/she is becoming a Regular Boodler (bwah hah hah haha haaah!)

"Gabba gabba, we accept you, we accept you, one of us"

Posted by: CowTown | January 26, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Joel, I think you will find a good deal of material for a vulgarity piece here-

www.imdb.com/title/tt0097216/quotes

Check especially the exchange between Sonny and Radio Raheem, and the comments of Sal.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, the last Nicholas brother passed away yesterday. These wonderful dancers and showmen were seen in dozens of movies over the years. If you watched movies from the 30's and 40's, you already are familiar with them. Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly might be more familiar, but these guys were without a doubt the best dancers.

Posted by: dr | January 26, 2006 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra and dr, I hate to say it, but I remember seeing the Nicholas Brothers on the Ed Sullivan Show, back in the 4th or 5th century B.C.

(I swear watching Ed Sullivan wasn't my idea! I was raised by cruel, vicious parents, who forced me to watch Totie Fields, and Senor Wences, and Georgie Jessel, and the Nicholas Brothers, and Hines, Hines and Dad, and Johnnie Ray, and guys who kept plates spinning, instead of doing my homework. And so by the time the Beatles came on, I was hopelessly addicted. My parents used an electric cattle prod to force me to watch all those terrible early TV shows; I can show you the scars. Would I lie?)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 26, 2006 10:33 AM | Report abuse

So, Curmudgeon, of course you remember the Best Act Ever (whose name I shall now hideously misspell): Bobogigio.

So'right, Boss. So'kay.

Posted by: CowTown | January 26, 2006 10:37 AM | Report abuse

An editorial in this morning's local paper has reminded me I am remiss.
From the Sun Media Group, operating The Edmonton Sun

"It was a heroes welcome on Tuesday night for the soldiers injured by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan last week that also killed Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry. Cpl. Paul Franklin was the only one of the three conscious for the trip, and he declared himself happy to be home. We're glad to have him home.
The more seriously wounded soldiers, Pte. William Salikin and Cpl. Jeffrey Bailey, were heavily sedated for the nine-hour flight from Germany, where all three were sent to start the long road to recovery from their injuries.
And a long road it will be. Franklin will likely have the easiest time getting back to a normal life - though that is quite the understatement. He had his left leg amputated and his right leg was shattered. Bailey and Salikin, on the other hand, suffered major head trauma, and for a while, it was touch-and-go on whether Bailey would be stable enough to make the trip back to Edmonton.
So our thoughts and prayers remain with all three families as they adjust to the harsh new realities they must face.
But we feel it is only right and fair to express our appreciation to an organization that went above and beyond the call of duty to help our wounded soldiers: the American military.

It's a damn shame that the United States has been so vilified by many politicians and citizens in this country, because it was the Americans who helped save the lives of our three soldiers, and we don't think that our American friends have gotten the credit they so rightly deserve. In fact, it's almost as if the national news media in this country has gone to great lengths to downplay the important role the U.S. military played in this story.
According to the Canadian Defence Department, after the suicide bomb went off, all the casualties were first transported out by a military ambulance. Soon after, they were picked up by a U.S. Army Blackhawk helicopter, which flew the wounded soldiers to the American military field hospital in Kandahar for immediate medical attention.
After that, our soldiers were taken to an American military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany, a top-notch medical facility that is the largest American hospital not located in the United States. Our soldiers received excellent care there until returning to their home here in Edmonton this week.
In short, then, one of the primary reasons our soldiers are in as good of shape as they are is because the American military went to the aid of an allied country fighting for freedom in Afghanistan.
Our Liberal politicians won't say it. Many Canadians won't say it.
But we'll say it: Thanks to the American soldiers, pilots, and medical personnel who helped save our soldiers' lives. They are all heroes, too. "

We have a long history of helping back and forth. Beyond all the rhetoric and neighbourly disputes like whose trees are crossing the property line, and who has to cut that gosh darn strip of grass, its good to know that when trouble arises, the neighbour will be right over to lend a hand. We sent people when the towers fell that awful day, and troops when it was time to find out where the bad guys were hiding. When Katrina struck, we sent men to help with whatever was needed, most of it just picking up and clearing roads in small towns. And now that we needed a hand, your people gave unstintingly, unfailingly. Its nice to live in the same nieghbourhood as you.

Posted by: dr | January 26, 2006 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon our age is betraying us. Ed Sullivan was what we watched while we waited for the real treat. Bonanza.

Posted by: dr | January 26, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, watch your turner classic movie channel - they show these wonderful musical films from the 30s-40s; I happened to tape a segment of a dance routine by the Nicholas Bros. to show my g-kids. (No. 2 g-girl tap dances) Can't recall the title, just happened to turn to that channel, saws the guys dancing and threw in a tape to record.

Cow Town - I love Hans and Frieda. "Oh Hans, I vant only that you should be happy".

Posted by: Nani | January 26, 2006 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Back in the day, if you claimed to do impressions, you had to do an impression of Georgie Jessel. Everyone did it the same way, with the quasi-mumble, simply saying, "This is gaw-gee jessel."

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 26, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

OK, if'n we're gonna go all geezerish here, what was the first and last name of the lead character on Have Gun, Will Travel?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

mudge - ci is indeed overwhelming and beautiful - the whole yucatan is overwhelming esp when you drive past the villages - no electricity, no doors, primitive environment... i also did the snorkling off of isla mujeres - just amazing!!! one thing that struck me about the pyramids is how freakin SMALL the steps are!! those mayans must have been midgets! i'm not sure if i know perico's - what is it near?

OT - YES! i saw the cutest baby cub panda!! i had tickets for a friday but had to give them away cuz i went to closing on my condo but mom and i went on MLK day and didn't need tickets! we got so very very lucky - he was asleep at first but he woke up and was walking around and playing with his mum. at one point he was trying to climb down a tree and slid down and fell *bonk* right on his head (not a big fall, just a cute little oopsie fall). he's just the cutest CUTEST thing ever! if anyone gets a chance to come to DC - or if you've ever wanted to come to DC, this is the perfect reason! I'll post pics in a little bit...

Posted by: mo | January 26, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I loved the magicians acts on the Ed Sullivan Show - real magicians, not this David Copperfield smoke, irritating music, mirrors, scantily clad girls kinda stuff . This one magician just stood there doing some amazing slight-of-hand; pulling strings and strings of lightbulbs, rabbits and various other sundries out of his mouth. And the bulbs were "ON"!

Posted by: Nani | January 26, 2006 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Bayou Self - I never saw any impressionist bsides Frank Gorshin who did Robert Mitchum! Amazing, the squinty eyes, pursed lips and that incomparable Mitchum walk.

Posted by: Nani | January 26, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Uh, Frank Palidan. I think I got the last name right.

Oh, I'm so old.

Posted by: CowTown | January 26, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse

mo--

I missed you by two days!!! Saw the cub that Saturday, when he was taking his post-lunch siesta in the howling winds. He woke up long enough to tumble out of the tub he was napping in, look around to say, "I meant to do that," and go back to sleep. Darling, simply darling.

And CowTown, it was Topo Gigio, no?

And k-guy, wasn't it Paladin on HGWT??

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse

No Rich Little? Fred Travelina? Vaughn Meador, who did the "First Family" until JFK's death?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Paladin's first name is one of the great mysteries of the 50
's. Many people believe that the name was never revealed and that the Richard Boone character was always referred to as "Paladin" or "Mr. Paladin". But on the show they always showed his business card. It said "Have Gun Will Travel, Wire Paladin, San Francisco." Obviously, the man's first name was Wire.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

*rim shot*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Scottynuke - That's Right! Topo Gigio. [Tell'm what he wins, Harry!]

Posted by: CowTown | January 26, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

geezerish? i like it.

Posted by: mikus8 | January 26, 2006 11:21 AM | Report abuse

oh, and methinks it was "Paladin"

Posted by: mikus8 | January 26, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Not to step on your SCC, Cowtown, but it's Topo Gigio.

"Keesa me goo'night, Eddie."

I am truly sorry I brought this up. Senor Wences. Geez.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 26, 2006 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I was always waiting for the Senor Wences comeback after he appeared on "The Muppet Show."

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

OK, K-guy--what was Richard Boone's character name on "Medic"? (heh heh)

(I cheated--had to look it up.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 26, 2006 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Dr. Steiner (sp.?)

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Last one. What were the five symbols drawn on the blackboard by Sam Jaffee at the start of every Ben Casey episode?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Close enough. Dr. Konrad Styner.

I was a big Richard Boone fan. Thought Paladin was just the coolest thing since sliced bread--this craggy-faced guy in fancy clothes with impeccable taste in food and wine, kind of a precursor to James Bond, in the Old West.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 26, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

K-guy:

ummmmm....

U O M E $

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Man, woman, birth, death, infinity.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Man, woman, birth, death, infinity.

Didn't even have to look it up. My mind (like yours, K-guy) is a treasure trove of hopelessly useless detritus.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 26, 2006 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The role of Detritus was most memorably played by Victor Mature in a number of Biblical epics of the late forties and early fifties.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 26, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

mo, Perrico's is a great little place on the third or fourth street back from the main drag in Cancun City, on the edge of a residential neighborhood. The waiters make it a point to be outrageous, and lead customers on long, winding dances in and around the tables, out a side door, in the front dour, etc. As you come through the door, two waiters or waitresses standing on tables pour shots of tequilla into your open mouth as you tilt your head backward (if you want--they don't force you, but why else would you be in that conga line?).

I'd describe the food, but I doubt anyone who goes there ever remembers it. I guess they have some. The place is a "must visit," though.

Get there about 6 to get a table; by 8 the place is jammed and pandemonium. Hilarity often ensues.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 26, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Ye Gods!!! Someone check Hell for ice, quick!!! *happy laughs*

"Oprah Calls Defense of Author 'a Mistake' "

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Breaking news! Quick, somebody fix it!

Thanks Scottynuke.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 26, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, obviously, someone showed Oprah Joel's cogent analysis of the situation and she saw the error of her ways.

Posted by: Reader | January 26, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Dumb question of the year: Oprah asking Frey why he lied. Uh...money? Fame?

Duh.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 26, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Achenbach: "Dear Oprah: Truth Still Matters"

Winfrey: "I gave the impression that the truth does not matter. I made a mistake."

Posted by: Reader | January 26, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I like happy endings.

Is this a happy ending?

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 26, 2006 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey, MoDo jumped on the slam-Oprah bandwagon, too, as did WaPo's Richard Cohen. She got verbally roughed by many.

Posted by: Loomis | January 26, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Ye gods! More breaking news!!! "On the Middle East, Bush expressed concern that Palestinian elections had given a majority to the radical party Hamas, which has called for the elimination of Israel, although he noted that democratic elections sometimes produce unwelcome results."
No kidding...

Posted by: slats | January 26, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a happy middle...

The happy ending will be when Frey refunds everyone's money. Then we'll REALLY need an expedition to look for solid-phase dihydrogen monoxide in Hell.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 26, 2006 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Nani,
My girlfriend at the Tahoe Trib interviewed David Copperfield. She came back to the newsroom absolutely fuming--thought he was one of the biggest jerks she'd ever met. Her story--not mine.

Got physically close to Rich Little. He did a great show at Tahoe. He went somewhat "out front," along one of the aisles leading from the showroom, to sign books or records or something. He seemed sweet and personable, not too tall. I remember thinking that he had on quite a bit of makeup.

Posted by: Loomis | January 26, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

*psssstttt* new kit

Posted by: mo | January 26, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Just pointing out that a light year is both a measure of distance AND time.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 26, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Hello,
This is Pte,Salikins Girlfriend, I am just writing cause I noticed some writing about William, and I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and also a few comments ago someone mentioned the americans help, and I agree they did alot in keeping our men alive. And so I thank them and all of you as well.

Posted by: Desirae | June 26, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Rugby players spend a lot of time physical training Compared to other form of sports.I have read the
Rugby laws mentioned on this site. It's a gripping sport which targets the grip strength and the active mindedness of a player. American football and rugby league are also primarily collision sports, but their tackles tend to terminate much more quickly. For professional rugby, players are often chosen on the basis of their size and apparent strength and they develop the skill and power over the passage of time. In modern rugby considerable attention is given to fitness and aerobic conditioning as well as basic weight training.

Posted by: Rugby Fan Steve | August 25, 2006 5:55 AM | Report abuse