The Vince Young Game

Years from now they won't call it the Rose Bowl game between Texas and USC, they'll just call it the Vince Young Game. What other individual performances were this great? You almost have to switch to basketball and think of Bill Walton taking UCLA to the basketball title back in the Jurassic.

[Some readers of this blog may not care for sports. I know what football is like for the non-fan: Little shapes scurrying around the TV screen like ants getting hopped up over the discovery of spilled sugar. And of course the entire enterprise of sports is essentially an excuse to run beer commercials. But this was one of the best football games of all time, instantly up there with Oklahoma-Nebraska back in, what, 1971?]

Young did the impossible: He not only took his team from 12 back with only 6 minutes left, he kept me up past midnight. This hasn't happened in years. Young also got me to root, secretly, for Texas in those final minutes. You can't root openly for Texas, even in the privacy of your own living room, because of the, you know, political associations. Let's not get into that. Also because the USC marching band, the Spirit of Troy, has such better uniforms than that cowboy band for Texas. Southern Cal destroyed Texas in the battle of the marching bands. You had to love the feathered helmets, the pantomimed fist-fights and Michael Jacksonesque crotch-grabbing, and the drum major (or whatever you call him) with the giant sword. I kept thinking that if Texas got too far ahead in the second half, the guy with the sword could go in on defense.

Texas deserved to win because Vince Young played such a stupendous game. A quarterback passing for 267 yards in a big game is fairly ordinary, but who has ever run for 200 at the same time? Those are absurd numbers. That's just ridiculous. No one tackled Young all night. When Young was running the Southern Cal guys were often not even on the television screen. (You're in charge of the draft for your NFL team: You're really taking Reggie Bush before you're taking Young?) It looked like Young was playing a game of 11-on-5. On 4th and 5 from the 8 yard line of Southern Cal, with less than half a minute on the game clock, Vince Young had to make a play to win the game. He dropped back to pass, then he did what everyone in the stadium knew he'd do: He tucked the ball under his arm and started running. The Southern Cal defenders had nothing left, and essentially just applauded, like a good audience, as Young waltzed into the end zone for the national title. It was almost scripted. Every movie studio mogul in the stands got on the cellphone at that moment and said, "I want to see a treatment on my desk at the crack of dawn."

Some yappers on the radio were questioning USC coach Pete Carroll's decision to leave all-universe RB Reggie Bush on the sideline on a crucial 4th-and-2 play with about 2 minutes left. It's the nature of the sports fan to second-guess. There are sports fans still second-guessing the landing at Normandy. You got the best running back on the planet standing there next to his coach while some other guy tries to win the game. But that play had worked all night, the other guy was a 235-pound runaway train named LenDale White, who'd run for 3 touchdowns and 120 yards already, and the coach had won 34 games in a row and a couple of national championships, so maybe these people knew what they were doing. Maybe this game wasn't lost, but won, by Vince Young. I want to see that game again, and then read the book, and of course, see the movie.

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 5, 2006; 9:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bad Information in West Virginia (Updated)
Next: "Get Me the Legal Department, Pronto"

Comments

Joel us Gators (OK so you're a Tiger) all were rooting for Texas thanks to them beating Nebraska so we got to play FSU for the naional championship in 96. Great game though and I even stayed up past 10:00PM as well.

Posted by: FLvet | January 5, 2006 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"I know what football is like for the non-fan: Little shapes scurrying around the TV screen like ants getting hopped up over the discovery of spilled sugar."

Great empathy, Joel. I wasn't going to complain, honest, but since you brought it up, I'll tell you, my daughter had football figured out at the age of 18 months. She looked at the tv screen for about 2 minutes and then she said, "Run-- run--run! Fall down!" She didn't need to watch any more after that.

Posted by: Reader | January 5, 2006 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Is there any doubt who deserved the Heisman this year. On one hand you have the over-hyped bonehead(who incidentally isn't even going to be the best NFL running back on his own team, because he is soft soft soft so marshmallowy soft) who threw the game away on a crazy lateral in the first quarter and isn't even on the field when you need 2 yards on fourth down to win the game OR 8 yards on a third down draw play. On the other hand you have a guy who was the best passer and runner on the field the entire game, a guy who when faced with 4th and 5 does exactly what everyone knows he is going to do and gets 8. Vince Young is incredible, a man playing with children. I am no Texas fan but I openly rooted for them, in public even, last night. How can you not root for a guy that talented and that underrated(well not anymore)?

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm so glad this kit is about football. Now I can concentrate on doing the job I'm paid for and not boodle all day.

"Every picture tells a story don't it?"

Joel, the family photo you provided tells me that you, **young** sir, have a good life going for you. (And you and the fam know it too, dontcha?) From expression in the eyes and body language, everyone looks so content! Why does Achenwife look so familiar to me?

Posted by: Nani | January 5, 2006 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Vince Young with the Double Century, and the National Champoinship. That was one hell of a show last night.

You had to know that USC was in for it when they were stopped on a 4th and 1 deep in Texas territory during the first quarter.

One has to wonder how much damage Reggie Bush did to his draft status with that inexplicable yet dunderheaded attempted lateral on the Texas 13 yard line in the first half. No question what it did to Pete Carroll's confidence in him (see Mr. R. Bush on the sideline for that crucial 4th and 2 for further details).

Hats off to Mr. Young, Texas, and amazingly, the BCS for some damn entertaining games this week.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I remember a great article about how intellectual people don't like watching football, because it's too complicated for them. Wish I could find it. It pointed out that ironically smart people tend towards baseball, where there's more nothing happening than actual game.

Posted by: jw | January 5, 2006 9:29 AM | Report abuse

SCC: "Championship".

And so it goes.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 9:30 AM | Report abuse

There was a football game last night?

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Bush is NEVER in the game in goal line situations because he is soft. There is a reason White has 30 something touchdowns, because he gets all the tough yards. There is also a reason that bush doesn't put up huge numbers, because he doesn't get the carries, because he isn't the most depednable, consistant running back on his own team. If I was the Texans i would trade that #1 pick in a New York second....

As for football and intellect there is no greater compliment to football than the look on Mark Richts face after WVU converted that fourth down on Monday night. A grandmaster chess player who was just mated, and unspoken "well done old chap"...

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The hype about USC was just ridiculous. From ESPN analysts pontificating all week about whether USC is the greatest college football team ever to the anointment of USC as National Champs, I wonder whether USC would actually show up to play Texas. Let me say this, USC plays in PAC-10 and PAC 10 SUCKS!
Oregon's defense is ranked 45th for heavens sake and they are supposedly the second best team in PAC-10. USC is yet to meet a good defense (Notre Dame is ranked 75th) and USC receivers havnt seen secondaries with the speed of Texas secondary all season.Also, Reggie Bush might be the bomb but he is going to be completely ineffective against the very physical Texas Defensive Line and Linebackers.
Did I mention Vince Young? From his 4rth quarter antics against OSU to his single handed demolition of USC, Vince Young is probably the best clutch player to have ever played college football.
Texas is the number one team in the country. I would actually rate Ohio State ahead of USC. USC in my opinion on current form is the 3rd best team in the Nation.

Posted by: PAC-BS 10 | January 5, 2006 9:37 AM | Report abuse

jw, I highly recommend Gregg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback column/blog on NFL.com.

Whatever you may think of Easterbrook (ahem), he is intelligent and really knows pro football.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Not to change the subject, but I just got Bill Simmons' book on the Red Sox, "Now I Can Die in Peace." Sweet!

Posted by: jw | January 5, 2006 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The problem with this whole BCS/pseudo-National Championship is that the bowl season now stretches nearly to King Day and all the significant games are in prime time and don't end until after midnight in the middle of the work week.

As good a game as it was, I am glad I turned in early in the fourth quarter of the Penn State-FSU game rather than getting involved enough to watch all three overtimes.

I'm sure all the network execs are peeing themselves over how the BCS managed to match the only two undefeated teams left and also have an exciting game, but that's the perfect storm of college football. It won't happen again for at least a quarter century.

The real answer is a real play-off system. Use the four major New Years Bowls (and get them back on New Years Day) as the quarterfinals of an eight game play-off. Yes, teams 9 thru 16 will whine, but tell them to play better next year. Then, so you don't interfere with the pro play-offs, on the Friday after the Friday after New Years play two semi-final games in primetime.

Then on the weekend before the Super Bowl, have the NCAA sanctioned national championship game. Between the pro and college playoffs, you can then call all of January Football Frenzy or some other ridiculous marketable catch phrase.

This system would work because all the current bowls play a roll and it creates three new sellable events. No one has to cry over an extended season for "student-athletes" because only four team are playing beyond the normal season.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 5, 2006 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"You almost have to switch to basketball and think of Bill Walton taking UCLA to the basketball title back in the Jurassic." Ouch! I was there in the John Woodman years, and it wasn't in the Jurassic Epoch, it was Mesozoic.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Posted by: CowTown | January 5, 2006 9:51 AM | Report abuse

As a 1970 graduate of the University of Texas, I would like to say that our um, student athletes, aka The Future Millionaires Club of Austin, are a teensy weensy bit better than the Future Millionaires of LA group (although a half time game of Trivia Pusuit between representatives of the two teams would have been better than the marching bands). This and the Sugar Bowl were definitely worth losing sleep to watch. As we leave the college game behind and move on to the pros, we go with but a single thought: a reliable kicker is a pearl beyond price.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how long wars would last in this country if we suspended sporting events for the duration.

Posted by: Chris | January 5, 2006 10:09 AM | Report abuse

You can't have wars without sports, where else will random morons start up a chant of " U S A . . U S A . . U S A!!"?

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Tangentally Football-Related:

Yesterday, former Pittsburgh Steelers great Lynn Swann formally announced that he is seeking the Republican nomination for Pennsylvania governor in 2006.

He's a great guy, and could probably do some good for the state, but unfortunately, he's too far on the wrong side of a few key issues for my vote. That, and the I-don't-live-in-PA-anymore thing.

Posted by: Pixel | January 5, 2006 10:18 AM | Report abuse

During the NHL strike, beer advertsisng time was way down up here, and the Brewering companies found that less advertising did not change how much beer was consumed or what kind of beer was consumed.

My guess is what really affects beer consumption and brand choices is who has the best t-shirts in the summer 24 packs.

Posted by: dr | January 5, 2006 10:23 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt, the idea of having the NCAA Football playoffs on Friday nights and the Championship BCS game on the off weekend between the NFC and AFC championship games and the Superbowl is brilliant.

January Jubilation (or Jubilee) might make a nice bookend for March Madness...

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Gooooooooooooooo, Texas! Thanks for dipping your big toe into the college football waters, Joel. Was surprised and happy to see you blog on the *greatest* college game of all time.

Posted by: txfan | January 5, 2006 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Addtional SCC from 9:28 AM Comment:

"Double Double Century"

Bah.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 10:28 AM | Report abuse

So how dumb does Matt Leinart look now? Came back to school to not win the Heisman, not win the national championship, date a high school reality star(Marcus Vick double standard anyone?), oh yeah and drop at least two or three places int he draft which translates to about 10-15 million dollars.....smooooooth......

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 10:29 AM | Report abuse

K-guy, I loved your comment ... "a reliable kicker is a pearl beyond price."

Backing up to Penn State vs. FSU, I've never been much of Joe Paterno fan, but I have to admit that I enjoyed watching him on the sideline. Those glasses, the old face, the graying hair, those glasses, the expressions, those glasses. Downright iconic. And meanwhile, pooched placekicks by kickers with the yips.

Last night, had Texas' kicker been puttin' it through the uprights more reliably (paging Doctor Freud, paging Doctor Freud) Young's heroics at the end of the game wouldn't have been as necessary.

But it was a great game to watch. One for the ages, and other stuff that Keith Jackson would say.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 10:38 AM | Report abuse

A story on the side. Years ago, a photograhper friend/colleague is putting a mike on Keith Jackson for an interview. They are going to interview Jackson about something, while sitting in the stands of a stadium. Well, the rows are kind of steep and the photographer starts to fall backward. Jackson quickly grabs the photographer's hand or arm or something to prevent the fall, while saying, "Whoa Nellie!"

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh, it's a jolly 'oliday with football
Football makes your 'eart so light!
When the day is gray and ordinary
Football makes the sun shine bright!
Oh, 'appiness is bloomin' all around us
The daffodils are smilin' at the dove
When football grabs your mind you feel so grand
Your 'eart starts beatin' like a big brass band
It's a jolly 'oliday with the play-offs
No wonder that it's football that we love!

Oh, it's a jolly holiday with you, Joel
A jolly bloggin' holiday with you!

It's true that UT Texas 'as ways that are winning
And marching bands set your 'eart spinning
Young's delightful, White is disarming
The entire Texas team's--charming
Some were dashing, others were passing-- sweet
Others were smashing, Texas' win a treat
The coaches, the fans, the announcers,
Convival company, time and again
Reader and Nani and I are not out of sorts
Women on the blog are jolly good sports
But cream of the crop, tip of the top
It's football, and there we stop!

Oh, it's a jolly holiday with you, Joel
A jolly bloggin' holiday with you!

Posted by: Loomis | January 5, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Joel, for that blog....I am exhausted, elated, and just downright slaphappy. Every now knows for sure who really should have gotten the Heissman...HOOK 'EM HORNS!!! And don't worry about that political association. The Shrub didn't go to TEXAS and this LONGHORN doesn't consider him a Texan.

Posted by: Lauryne Wright: TEXAS LONGHORN | January 5, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Re. clutch kickers:

Remember Mark Moseley as the NFL's MVP?

Any bets that Adam Viniteri won't be the first kicker in the NFL hall of fame?

Then there's Scotty Norwood...

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 11:00 AM | Report abuse

And obviously I'm too wiped out to spell things right and not leave words out...it is just a GREAT day!!!

Posted by: Lauryne Wright: TEXAS LONGHORN | January 5, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yellojkt: Great idea. For a game that hasn't had an undisputed champion since the year I was born (1969), your proposal makes waaaaayyyy more sense than the current system.

Loomis: Mary Poppins and Football: Love it!

I started out rooting for USC because I spent 2 years living in California before coming back East. I ended up rooting for Texas because of Vince Young.

Regardless of who won, that was the most incredible football game (with the USC-Notre Dame game a close second) I have ever seen. It was waayyyy better than 90 percent of the Superbowl games I've seen.

Wow. :-)

Posted by: Wowie | January 5, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the endorsement on my College Football Playoff Concept, bc and Wowie. I have been pitching that idea around the coffee machine for years. Now when someone steals it, I have a permalink proving I came up with it first.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 5, 2006 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I turned off the tv after USC went up by 12 in the 4th quarter, figured it was over and I was tired. (This is why I don't gamble.)

Why was I tired? Because my 3-year old daughter wouldn't go to bed after watching some of her favorite film, MARY POPPINS.

As usual, it all comes together in the boodle.

Posted by: silvertongue | January 5, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Great game. Too bad I went to bed at Midnight, with minuntes left, just after USC Scored for their last time...Kinda reminds me of when I went to bed at the beginning of the 4th quarter of the first Dallas-Skins game this year, as well as just after the 1st quarter of the Penn St-FSU game.
Sometimes getting up at 5AM really stinks.

Great idea on the College Football Playoff. Wish it would happen, but with Tostitos, Nokia, Fed Ex and Citi giving MILLIONS of dollars for the bowl games, I don't see it happening...

Posted by: Joe D. | January 5, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I like the playoff concept but think you would make more money with the playoff rounds being the last(or next to last) Saturday in December, new years day and then the championship game the following Friday. Less competition with the NFL playoffs is a good thing, not everyone would tune in for that much football. You also would have a scheduling problem with two Friday night Final Four games. It also eliminates any hypocritical student athlete talk because no school is back in session until after the 8th anyways. Use the four BCS bowls as the rotating hosts of the final four and championship games. Toss the Cotton, Peach, and Holiday bowl into the mix as first round games and have at it...

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Just for the record, Joel, Vince Young is a junior and has yet to declare for the NFL draft. Rumors are that he'll come back for a senior year, though with numbers like that I would cash in quickly and ditch the college uniform for a Houston Texans jersey. Hooray for school spirit! Think of the marketing money that could be made in Texas if Young DID declare!

Posted by: Nikos | January 5, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

bc, I'll take that bet!

Posted by: J.S. | January 5, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Totally rippin' game, so glad Texas won.

That's all there is to say...other than 'Hook 'em, Horns!'

Posted by: amo | January 5, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

joel - which team are you hoping will win: washington or tampa? (don't forget which newspaper you work for...)

Posted by: ot | January 5, 2006 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I heard an interview with Vince Young in which he said he'd sit down with his family and decide whether to enter the draft. It's hard to imagine how that conversation could culminate in a decision to return to UT for another year. Of course it happened last year with what's-his-face at USC.

Obviously with Bush, Young and Whatsisface all in the draft, it'll be the Heisman race all over again. The Bush Sweepstakes may have been oversold; if I'm a football GM I'm always going to want a prime-time QB before a prime-time RB. And would you really pick Whatsisface over Young after what you saw last night? OK, so Young throws sidearm, and in the pros he's not going to be able to run through defenders as though they're a bunch of cornstalks, but still. He's gotta be the one.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 5, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The Houston NFL francise does have a tough decision to make.
A team with the top pick should typically pick the best player available (before last night, all I heard was R.B.).
However, a team that needs to build from the ground up should maybe build around a francise quarterback.

As someone mentioned before, I would not want to be the one put in cahrge of that decision...

Posted by: J.S. | January 5, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

SCC - I wouldn't want to be in CHARGE either.

Posted by: J.S. | January 5, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Joel,
I hope you don't answer ot's question. The worst thing about watching last night's incredible game was the commercials for the local news. Imagine the brainless idiot that must have come up with this one: If you think tonight's game is big, how 'bout the Redskins/Buccaneer! Woo hoo. PULLLLLEEEZZZZE!!!!!!!! What planet do they live on? Because I don't think they play football there...
HOOK 'EM HORNS!!! Can't say it enough.

Posted by: Lauryne Wright: TEXAS LONGHORN | January 5, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Of course, if Joel does not answer, we will know what his answer is.

ot has painted you into a corner!

Posted by: E. B. Williams | January 5, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young would lead the Redskins to a Super Bowl Championship THIS YEAR. Seriously.

Hook 'em 'Horns!

Posted by: lingering_lead | January 5, 2006 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I was totally impressed by Mr. Young last night.
However, before we put him in a Super Bowl he will need to prove himself in the big leagues. Remember, this guy is still a young kid.

I would encourage any student athlete to stay in college. But, if he were my son, I would tell him to take the money now.
He is not responsible for the current system and should take advantage of it. What if he were to stay and then have a career ending injury. The money is too great to walk away from.

Posted by: J.S. | January 5, 2006 12:16 PM | Report abuse

RE: "Marcus Vick double standard anyone?"

Uhh, Snaps...MV was convicted in May 2004 of contributing to delinquency of a minor (don't get caught throwing hotel parties with girls under the age of 16...) and then on Aug. 4 2004 plead guilty to reckless driving and no contest to marijuana possession.

The fact that MV shows that Va Tech will go to any length to ensure they have quality players who can choke in big games...

Posted by: aflapr | January 5, 2006 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Joel, I just want to point out that the University of Texas is in Austin, which is about as anti-Bush as San Francisco, so there is no guilt or embarrassment in rooting for Texas. Go Longhorns!

Posted by: lorgren | January 5, 2006 12:25 PM | Report abuse

In the Houston Chronicle today, the talk is still all about drafting Bush.

Joel - Nice line about Young running through defenders "as though they're a bunch of cornstalks." But might the proper reference be "potted ferns?"

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I never got the, "stay in school to get a degree" argument. They went to that school to play football, and as soon as they can enter the draft, they've for all intents and purposes "graduated."

And with a good accountant, even after only a few years in the NFL, there's no reason any player shouldn't be set for life.

Posted by: jw | January 5, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

An athlete that is going to college on a Scholorship should stay for the 4 years. If they end up leaving early and going pro should be required to pay back the money to the school, or sponsor a scholorship for a student with financial difficulites, at that school.
It's only fair...

Posted by: Joe D. | January 5, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't dodging the question about Saturday's game, just working on a story, a thing we in the business call "an article." For like the print edition, ya dig. About Saturday, I'll be rooting for the Skins all the way. Not a Bucs fan, never was, I'm a Gator fan, and although my brother is a Bucs fan, because he lived in Tampa when they went 0-26 at the start of the franchise, I'm still working on converting him to the Skins. (He is bizarrely loyal to Spurrier and hasn't quite gotten over the fiasco here in DC with the old ballcoach.) I think Portis had just about the best year anyone's ever had without making the Pro Bowl.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 5, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Let's not crown Young Superbowl MVP just yet. If he goes pro next year, he'll have a tough go from the start. I can't think of too many highly touted college QBs getting hot from the start. I can think of quite a few burnouts. Hopefully Young can stay healthy, keep a good attitude (avoid Ryan Leaf-itis) and dazzle us NFL fans in a couple of years. Of course, that's when he's not playing the Bears' D, getting sacked 8 times.

Posted by: Bear down | January 5, 2006 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the early Bucs and the year they went 0-26, one of my alltime favorite sports quotes is from that era. After one game during which the Bucs couldn't do anything right, a sportswriter after the game asked Coach John McKay, "What do you think of your team's execution?"
McKay replied without hesitation, "I think it's a good idea."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Rapid descent into Guyville on the Boodle.
College football is a profitable business. UT (one of the most affordable state universities) made more money off of Vince Young last night than his college years have cost by far. He should go into the draft this year. It's the best way to beat Leinart twice in the same year. Houston needs lots of players, not one. If they really want Bush, they should trade their #1 to SF (where they desperately need a QB) and take Bush with the #2(he'd be cheaper as a #2), with some other picks or decent linemen thrown in for sweeteners. Or do a Herscel Walker type trade- send Vince to Dallas for all their draft picks for the next decade.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The thing about the NFC is, there's no team that really scares you. Seattle? I'm sorry, that's not even an NFC team for real. That's some AFC expansion team that wandered into the NFC at some point when I wasn't looking. No sane person could be scared of "Carolina," which is located in some unknown city that for all we know doesn't even have an airport. The Bears have a Gator at QB, but he's taken about 7 snaps in the NFL so far. The Giants have the wrong Manning. So I'm just saying the road to the Super Bowl is navigable, though I will, of course, go back and delete this comment in a few days if it turns out that reality refuses to comport to my opinions.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 5, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure, though my memory has been destroyed by time and bad behavior, that Spurrier was the first QB for the Bucs back when the franchise started. He specialized in the INT returned for the TD. It was his signature move. He'd start a standard 7-step drop, and about four steps into it, faced with a collapsing line and 5 giant men about to kill him, would fling the ball randomly toward one sideline or the other, at which point a defender camping out in that precise spot would make the pick and take it to the house. I believed the play was actually diagrammed that way.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 5, 2006 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Joe D., you really think these guys should give back the scholarship money? even after they've made MILLIONS for the school through their performance on the field that leads to big time TV contracts for the school, a million+ dollar appearances in bowl games, and advertising revenue? Come on, let's get real. The kids that don't stick around for four years do it because they want a piece of the money they earn. As a VT graduate I look at what Michael Vick did for our school. Nobody can argue that we don't owe Vick for the MILLIONS of dollars he earned the school. We were barely on the top 10 radar. Good players lead to big money.

Posted by: Nikos | January 5, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

JS, my apologies, I can't believe I forgot ye.

As far as drafting Vince Young, I wonder if Atlanta's not thinking about trading Ron Mexico, er, Michael Vick and Warrick Dunn for one of the top 3 picks?

Oh, wait. Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Art Schliester, Todd Marinovitch. What round was Tom Brady drafted in again? Joe Montana?

The NFC playoffs are just for the right to lose UberBowl XL to the AFC team, and a sub .500 '06 regular season.

Am I the only one that thinks that if the Washington NFL Francise did somehow make it to UB XL, the braintru$t on that Burgundy and Gold sideline might actually be able to devise a plan to win? Actually, the big question is: could the players execute it?

Thinkin' about the old red, white, and orange Bucs made me think about poor Doug Williams running for his life behind that dreadful O line...

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Jo-el, a few facts and queries:
When was the last time Mark Brunell made through an entire season without major injury? Beyond human memory.
How many of the other NFC teams are known for their stout defenses as the strength of the team? All but Seattle, which has top RB S. Alexander.
How many games will Washington have to win on the road? Ever' dang one!
Looks to me like the G-men get to lose the Super Bowl this year.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 1:36 PM | Report abuse

A Patriots-Redskins Super Bowl would leave me all widdershins...

*looking frantically for anti-widdershins meds*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

But K-guy, what about the honor of just getting to the UB XL?

*chortle chortle*

Posted by: Curmdugeon | January 5, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

this years superbowl, what a snooze fest: colts beat seahawks.

Posted by: omnigoof | January 5, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Okay, boss, I don't do football, but I do airports. And yes, we in Charlotte have a very nice airport that happens to be a hub for USAirways. You know, the one that used to be headquartered in your part of the world...If you are really lucky when you come to Charlotte, you get to sit in one of the rocking chairs on the main plaza. As far as I'm concerned, that beats football every day of the week!

Posted by: slyness | January 5, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Uber Bowl, though, anybody know what grotesqueries they have planned for me to ignore during this year's halftime show? Howard Stern interviewing Siamese lesbians? Paris Hilton doing calisthenics? Jerry Springer leading an all-nude Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Inquiring minds want to know...

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: omnigood | January 5, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Never mind; I just found out: the Rolling Stones. Nothing makes me think of the grand old sport of football better than the visage of Keith Richards.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"Keith Richards, the ageing but wily veteran."

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Mudge, at least Jon Leibowitz-Feinberg-Stewart will be hosting the Academy Awards...

Posted by: Loomis | January 5, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Nikos,
It might deter some from leaving, as well as helping out the University and people in general.
Sure the University made millions, but how much of that is actually given back to the ones that need the money and are not scholarship athletes?

Posted by: Joe D. | January 5, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

We now take a break from our regularly scheduled speculation to take a cinematic poll. All of the following have played the role of quarterback in a film. Which is the most unlikely choice?
(A)Keanu Reeves
(B)Mac Davis
(C)Charleton Heston
(D)Jamie Foxx
(E)Adam Sandler

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 2:19 PM | Report abuse

F) All of the above

Posted by: omnigoof | January 5, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Chicago will represent the NFC. I don't think they'll lose at home, and I think they can take Seattle. Too bad from my point of view, since as someone from Toronto I tend to pull for the NY Giants and the Buffalo Bills . . . GO MARV LEVY! Heh.

Posted by: Paul | January 5, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Big time college football pays for itself and supports non-revenue sports, men's and women's, but between the coach's salaries (football coaches regularly make more than college presidents and state governors), the mega stadiiums, and the special jock dorms, jock dining halls, etc., I doubt that any of that money goes for any other (e.g. educational) purposes.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

We now take a break from our regularly scheduled speculation to take a cinematic poll. Out of all the following who have played the role of quarterback in a film, one was elected President. Which is the most likely choice?
(A)Keanu Reeves
(B)Mac Davis
(C)Charleton Heston
(D)Jamie Foxx
(E)Ronald Reagan
(F)Adam Sandler

Posted by: Loomis | January 5, 2006 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Burt Reynolds made a pretty authentic football player because he was one. Nick Nolte had the look too, but I think that was just hard living.

I would say most baffling casting choice was either Adam Sandler or jamie Foxx

Posted by: yellojkt | January 5, 2006 2:35 PM | Report abuse

(G)Jimmy Smits

Posted by: Joe D. | January 5, 2006 2:36 PM | Report abuse

K-guy, I think Adam Sandler and Chuckie Heston tie for least likely. I don't have a problem with the other three (though only Jamie Foxx can actually, you know, act).

But you forgot an actual quarterback, Joe Kapp, playing Hose Manning in Semi-Tough, and Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait (not a bad little movie, I thought).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 2:36 PM | Report abuse

aflapr I hear what you are saying but I don't think you are listening to what I am saying about Leinart. The guy is a senior in college. he was dating a girl on the reality show laguna beach, she was a senior in high school... Last time I checked 17 year olds were still minors, and Leinart is no 17 year old. I'm not saying it's as gross as Vick, but I'm also not buying that the Heisman trophy winner isn't getting it on with his girlfriend. It's not as bad, but the fact it isn't talked about at all raises some interesting questions of WHY?

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Paul Lynde was miscast as the quarterback in North Dallas Forty.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 5, 2006 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Or was it The Longest Yard.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 5, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice, nice, very nice, LindaLoo, but not quite accurate. Ronny played George "Gipper" Gipp in Knute Rockne All American with Pat O'Brien. Gipp was a halfback, not a QB. Style points are awarded although the entry is disallowed. Chuck Heston was elected President (of the NRA, a slightly more powerful office than the one Reagan held).

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Linda, if you're referring to Reagan playing Geroge Gipp, Gipp was a halfback. But otherwise you're on the money.

A better run-off might be Reagan versus Beatty.

We can throw in Damon Wayans and Jerry O'Connell, too.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Kguy, come on. That was a quick whistle.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 5, 2006 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't go pickin' on Mac Davis in North Dallas Forty, poot.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

sad but true, enrollment numbers in schools increase after they are in a big time sporting event like the one last night. Apparently those adds of kids working in the chem lab and then laughing walkign accross campus really get people interested in the school, go figure. There was actually an article in the Post about this just last week regarding enrollment at St Joes after Jameer Nelson and DC's own Delonte West led them to the Elite 8 that one year....

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Paul, da Bears will go to the SuperBowl only if the rules are changed to make a triple overtime scoreless tie constitute a win for the home team. Lots of D, but no O whatsoever....

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 2:47 PM | Report abuse

OK, here IS a tough one: best football coach in a movie:

Gene Hackman/The Replacements
Al Pachino/Any Given Sunday
Billy Bob Thornton/Friday Night Lights
Denzel Washington/Remember the Titans
Hector Elizondo/Necessary Roughness
Robert Loggia/Necessary Roughness (technically, assistant coach)
Pat O'Brien/Knute Rockne
Jack Warden/Brian's Song

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't that Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the remake of "The Longest Yard"?

And Wayans SO throws like a girl, even if he did play the game in school.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 3:02 PM | Report abuse

In the battle of the musicians-turned-actors. Mac Davis in North Dallas Forty beats Kris Kristofferson in Semi Tough. Hands down, Mac gives a better performance in a far superior movie.

For my money, North Dallas Forty is the best of the football movies cited in the boodle (at least that I've seen, sorry Adam Sandler). Nick Notle, also in North Dallas Forty, played a wide receiver. Davis was the QB.

But Kristofferson was a far better songwriter than Davis. KK wrote many outstanding songs, including the desert-island worthy "Me and Bobby McGee." Most people only know Janis Joplin's version, but Kristofferson does a fine version himself.

Posted by: silvertongue | January 5, 2006 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Add Tom Berenger/The Junction Boys

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 3:02 PM | Report abuse

What about the Fonze in the Waterboy?

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 3:03 PM | Report abuse

This is the play.
This is the play. okay?
The quarterback. Two receivers
lined up to the left, one to the right.
There's a flanker lined up to the left
behind the quarterback.
oh, okay.
He gives the ball...
No, he doesn't give the ball.
The receiver goes
all the way over there to the left.
Once the quarterback has the ball,
he fakes to the left.
No. He fakes to the right.
He doesn't fake.
He thinks about faking.
He pretends to fake.
I don't know
where I am.
I can't breathe.
this room is getting smaller.
I have to sit down.

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Best football coach in a movie??

Who led the Allied team in "Victory," anyway?

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Semi-Tough is, hands down, the funniest football novel; ND40 is the best serious football novel, and silvertongue is right, ND40 translated to the screen much better than ST. I think the best football movie, though, just might be Friday Night Lights, followed by Remember the Titans. For one thing, both have serious non-football themes running in the background, and the casting of the kids (and their acting) is much better than the casting/acting of the adults in some of the others. FNL will make you angry, and RTT will make you verklempt when Gary Bertier gets hurt; none of the others produce those reactions. As for anything Adam Sandler is in, c'mon.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Eisenhower?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Touche, Curmudgeon, touche... *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you guys left out James Van Der Beek and Paul Walker as QBs coached by Jon Voight in "Varsity Blues". The teachers in this school have some unusual part time jobs.

And while Tom Cruise was a CB and not a QB in "All the Right Moves", he was coached by Craig T Nelson (aka Coach Hayden Fox).
Modesty forbids me to make any mention of Lea Thompson in this movie...

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Whaddabout the best football player in a non-football movie??

I can't get past Alex Karas in "Blazing Saddles."

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Nailed it, scotty

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"Mongo like candy"

Posted by: Mongo | January 5, 2006 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I know that years ago John Riggins was doing some local theater in Olney, Maryland.
I thought I saw him recently on a Law and Order (or some such show) rerun.
Can anyone verify?

Posted by: Jack Kent Cooke | January 5, 2006 3:45 PM | Report abuse

O.J. Simpson in Capricorn One. Case closed.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 5, 2006 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The internet is a wonderful place:

Since retiring from professional football, Riggins has worked as a sports commentator on television and radio, and is a popular, near-notorious, figure in the Washington D.C. area. In 1994, he began acting lessons and has since starred in off-off-Broadway productions of the plays Gillette and A Midsummer Night's Dream (in which he played Bottom). His television credits include Guiding Light and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Interestingly, Sandra Day O'Connor came to one of Riggins' first Broadway plays and asked Riggins to autograph a football for her.

Posted by: Riggo | January 5, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Question for Joel: are you buds with Dave Barry, like Weingarten is? When Barry did his chat the other day, was he in town, and did you guys go hoist a few? How come Gene and Dave never seem to stop in to the Achenblog to say howdy?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

But was it REALLY O.J., yellojkt, or just special effects???

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, Gene might be Snaps, ya never know...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Having reviewed the Boodle entries today and determined that I have absolutely nothing to contribute because I know exactly NADA about football (Oh, I like to watch it, I just don't know anything about it), I hereby relinquish my Man Card until further notice.

I'll be in the kitchen baking cookies, in case someone comes looking for me *puts on apron*.

Posted by: CowTown | January 5, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

bc, why does modesty forbid you mentioning Lea Thompson in "All the Right Moves?" Gosh, she was a cutie.

Posted by: Tim | January 5, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, OJ WAS pretty good in the "Naked Gun" movies...the wheelchair down the stairs bit was amusing (but not on the same level as the wheelchair bit in "Red Dragon/Manhunter").

Still, OJ in "Capricorn One" is tough to top...

The John Riggins show can be heard on Thursday evenings from 5-7 on WTEM. That'd be tonight, folks.

Yea, El Riggo's still pretty funny.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Going waay back, Fred McMurray played a football coach in Father was a Fullback, Natalie Wood was his 8 yr. old daughter. His teenage daughter, who steals the entire film, was played by the actress who was "Thelma Lou", Barney Fife's girlfriend. Very funny dialogue, even by today's standards. Fathers of teens should rent it - if its not out of print.

Posted by: Nani | January 5, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Joel, you mentioned that it was difficult to cheer for the Texas Longhorns openly because of the political associations. If it helps you and your readers, Universty of Texas is a liberal campus with a progressive student body in the liberal city of Austin.

Of course we're surrounded by a very conservative state. But UT is a much different place than say, Texas A&M, where George Bush Sr. built his presidential library.

Thanks for the great column.

Posted by: Scott K | January 5, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

She does a love scene with Tom's stunt double, Tim. Involving nudity.

I should have mentioned that Riggo's only on during the football season. I believe he has a radio show on one of the sattelite networks, too. Sirius, if I had to guess...

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "Satelite".

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Ha! A Double SCC on ME!
Satellite.

Oh, boy...

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Not quite a double double century, bc, but well done nonetheless...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 4:05 PM | Report abuse

And, my favorite actor of all time, Billy Bob, has a lovely scene in Sling Blade where Karl is playing football with little Frank. Karl is going for the touchdown with no interference, but then passes the ball to Frank so Frank can make the touchdown. Frank knows that Karl did it just to be "nice" and says something to the effect that "my daddy woulda done that too." Karl still won't take credit..."Well, they was comin up mighty fast,mmm hmmm, and I was purty stove up and hadda give it to you." I love Billy Bob.

Posted by: Nani | January 5, 2006 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Years ago I heard Andy Griffith doing a bit on a country boy who happened into a football event. The boy didn't know what was going on.
I think it was an old radio program from early in his career. It was so long ago that I don't really remember the details, just that it was very funny.

Posted by: B. Fife | January 5, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Greatest movie coach ever? That's easy. Snoopy in "You're In the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown." He leads the Birds to successive, amazing victories over the Cats, Dogs and, if I remember it right, even the Bulls.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Cowtown,

Do you need any help rolling out the dough? When the talk was draft picks, I was completely clueless. Now that it has swung back to movies I stand a fighting chance. I put my manliness badge in a blind trust through all of football season. I get it out for March Madness, but then it goes right back.

The Friends Thanksgiving touch football episode is a classic. And the one where Greg Brady proves the guy stepped out of bounds because he was taking picures of the cheerleaders.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 5, 2006 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I think you mean the Bills, Bayou.

The Bills couldn't beat ANYBODY in the Uber Bowl.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise needed a stunt double for a love scene with Lea Thompson? Was he afraid he might hurt something? Or rather, that she might?

Of course, they were playing high school students, but I vaguely recall that she would have been playing below her age, whereas Tom may really have been that age... so perhaps it was to avoid a child-pornography foofaraw.

Posted by: Tim | January 5, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The Andy Griffith bit is called "What it was, was football" and I also recall it being funny.

Found a link for it but haven't listened to it.

Posted by: pj | January 5, 2006 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll Boodle Out of Order here, but I was thinking about what Joel said about taking a prime time QB over an RB in the draft.

If I'm the GM of a team with a top 3 or 5 pick, I might trade down a little (getting some veteran talent) and go for the best offensive and/or defensive linemen I can find.

Those are the anchors of a football team IMO.

If you can control both sides of the line of scrimmage, you're going to win a lot of games by wearing the other guys out and controlling the clock. Ask Mark Rypien or Trent Dilfer or John Riggins or Tony Siragusa or Mike Curtis if you don't believe me.

I should add that I think manliness is not a stinkin' badge; it is something to be wielded.

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 4:37 PM | Report abuse

For the first time in my life I've used the last of my stamps (had three left and three bills to pay) the week before a rate increase. Hurray for me. I actually feel pretty euphoric. How off topic is this. Time to head home to celebrate.

Posted by: omnigood | January 5, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

If writers give Reggie Bush the Heisman and don't even look at Lendale white why do they give Shuan Alexander the MVP and not even look at Tiki Barber? Channel that anger young Mr Barber. Unleash controlled fury on the Carolina Panthers...

Posted by: Snaps | January 5, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise needed a stunt double to play a love scene involving nudity and Lea Thompson? Sheesh. No wonder he's into Scientology. Where's his dedication to his craft?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea why Cruise would have had a stunt double in such a situation, Tim.

But I seem to recall that he did.

I would add that Real Manly Man Billy Bob Thornton would not resort to such a thing (e.g. "Monster's Ball").

Posted by: bc | January 5, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Please be aware, bc, before you start wielding your manliness, that many religions consider that a mortal sin. Consult your denomination's bylaws and creeds and always wear proper safety gear when operating power tools.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Ah, bc, you've nudged my memory with a veritable slap on the side of the helmet. But neither Bills nor Bulls went down in defeat to the Birds and wily Coach Snoopy. Nay, the beloved-beagle's Gatorade bath -- to the surprise of naysayer Lucy, I recall -- came at the expense of the Bison.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of wielding one's manliness, one of the great things about playing real football -- and those of you have have "strapped it on" know what I'm talking about -- is wearing a cup.

Okay, there is the chafing. That's no fun.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

That's probably a misprint. I think what the vertically challenged Mr.Cruise usually gets is a stunted double.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 5, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Bayou Self, if you really want to know the meaning of fear, it is a baseball umpire who goes behind the plate and during, say, the third inning suddenly realizes he has forgotten to put on the cup of manliness. You have my word on it from experience--it suddenly takes all the fun out of the game, and also pretty much ruins your concentration.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 5:06 PM | Report abuse

The Charlton Heston film mentioned above, "Number One" (1969), is worth noting only as a curiosity because it features the actual New Orleans Saints team (except QB, or there would not be a movie), coach, and the pre-Katrina city.

Posted by: Historian | January 5, 2006 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I refer today, as I did yesterday, to the Dec. 27 article from the New York Times about mining in Indonesia--but today to ask about the use of gourds as cups as (mentioned in the second paragraph below), since you he-men are on the subject. I suppose it gives an entirely new meaning to the word "chafe"...?
***

More than 30 current and former Freeport employees and consultants were interviewed over the past several months for this article. Very few would speak for attribution, saying they feared the company's retribution.

Freeport's support of the military is one measure of its extraordinary working environment. In the 1960's, when Freeport entered Papua, its explorers were among the very first outsiders ever encountered by local tribesmen swathed only in penis gourds and armed with bows and arrows.

Since then, Freeport has built what amounts to an entirely new society and economy, all of its own making. Where nary a road existed, Freeport, with the help of the San Francisco-based construction company Bechtel, built virtually every stitch of infrastructure over impossible terrain in engineering feats that it boasts are unparalleled on the planet.

That history, Papua's extreme remoteness and the company's long ties to the Indonesian government have given Freeport exceptional sway over a 21st-century version of the old company town, built on a scale unique even by the standards of modern mega-mining.

Posted by: Loomis | January 5, 2006 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's a football movie for you, I'm not saying it's GOOD, but I liked it--Mac Davis is in it, and it's about a small town high school football team (the titular "Possums" in Nowata, Oklahoma. Barry Switzer has a cameo role as a high school coach for the state champion team. It's a cute movie.

Posted by: Reader | January 5, 2006 5:24 PM | Report abuse

k-guy writes:

SEE! I just *knew* it! I shoulda taken a friggin' bloggin 'oliday!

Quarterback, halfback, hunchback, hairy back (channeling bc), silverback (channeling bc again), silvertongue, tongue-tied, fit to be tied, and fit to quit...What do I know of football?

Posted by: Loomis | January 5, 2006 5:31 PM | Report abuse

k-guy writes:

SEE! I just *knew* it! I shoulda taken a friggin' bloggin 'oliday!

Posted by: Loomis | January 5, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

More mention of Mac Davis...

This good man was my Tahoe landlord:

He did the lighting for Mac and Dolly, among others, when I lived in his house. When Peter rolled into town, my housemate Greg and I would take all meals anywhere *but* the kitchen table, where Peter had taped his lighting diagrams for whatever length of time he was in town.

Between the three of us, it was a hugely creative household--light and song, paint, and words. Good times.

My one (secret) wish at the time was that Peter would bring Mac home and put him in front of the brick fireplace--with a guitar--as one of the bestest ever Christmas gifts. When I finally was within an arm's length of Mac, I hardly said a word, my 35mm camera making all the noise.

I am so proud of Peter for all the awards he has racked up since I lived under his roof.

Posted by: Loomis | January 5, 2006 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Found a Web site that contains the first paragraph of John Updike's great short story, "In Football Season." Here is that graf:

Do you remember a fragrance girls acquire in autumn? As you walk beside them after school, they tighten their arms about their books and bend their heads forward to give a more flattering attention to your words, and in the little intimate area thus formed, carved into the clear air by an implicit crescent, there is a complex fragrance woven of tobacco, powder, lipstick, rinsed hair, and that perhaps imaginary and certainly elusive scent that wool, whether in the lapels of a jacket or the nap of a sweater, seems to yield when the cloudless fall sky like the blue bell of a vacuum lifts toward itself the glad exhalations of all things. This fragrance, so faint and flirtatious on those afternoon walks through the dry leaves, would be banked a thousandfold on the dark slop of the stadium when, Friday nights, we played football in the city.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 5:50 PM | Report abuse

In the 'I can't believe that no one remembers this'file, or maybe it should be the'dr you are a putz, everyone knows this but you think its significant because you are a Canuck' file, Eishenower played football with the team while at West Point(Hey I was 9, and it was my brtohers book).

From wikipedia: 'Eisenhower was a great athlete at the time but his football career came to an end after he injured his knee trying to tackle the legendary Jim Thorpe.'

Please tell me that I actually know something about American football historically. You never know when a mom needs to win a beer bet with her sons.

Posted by: dr | January 5, 2006 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon - The cupless ump had better crouch good.

Chafe, I think, is our word of the day. It's a manly word. It goes with football and other sports. It calls for a manly powder to be applied. It lives in the same neighborhood as "athlete's foot."

And no dictionary definition is needed.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 6:13 PM | Report abuse

dr - I'd suggest you search for more on the Eisenhower/Thorpe connection. It could be correct and is some fine trivia, if true. But Wikipedia isn't generally awarded a fact-checking gold star.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 6:16 PM | Report abuse

dr: there is some prize looking for you...mom of the year, blog of the day, royal hoot...not sure which...maybe time for your own blog(or do you already have one and I'm the last to know as usual?)

Posted by: newkidontheblog | January 5, 2006 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I only used Wikipedia to confirm my memory. We used to get a comic book of sorts called Treasure Chest when I was a kid. My memory of Eisenhower being a footblall player comes from that. The wikipedia thing is purely because I thought it was cool.

So tell me bayou, is the Eisenhower football thing something everyone remembers about a president and soldier from such an important time in history or is it not normally known like the info I looked into from the presidents website. will this win me American football bets with my sons?

Posted by: dr | January 5, 2006 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I am from Houston. I had the priviledge of watching Vince since his high school days. What you guys saw last night, I saw 4-5 years ago. I thought the competition was thin in high school so I figure college would be a lot harder for him. I am proud to say that I am no college scout: I was dead wrong!!! Honestly, here in his hometown, we ran out of adjectives to describe Vince. If someone would had called me last night & told me Vince was walking on water, I would had believed. He is Michael Vick's legs & Joe Montana's coolness combined. Leinert said the best team didn't win last night, & I agree. Superman won the game for our state-w/ those fellows who accompanied him to Pasadena.

Edwin

Posted by: Edwin | January 5, 2006 6:27 PM | Report abuse

The whole of the 6:08:10 should also go into the 'dr cannot spell worth a darn' file

SCC ad nauseam

Posted by: dr | January 5, 2006 6:28 PM | Report abuse

dr - I think the Eisenhower trivia is good stuff.

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 5, 2006 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I knew something about something I know nothing about.

Posted by: dr | January 5, 2006 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Some stories are indeed too good to be true, but it sure looks like dr's Jim Thorpe/Eisenhower story is correct. Pretty cool.

Posted by: pj | January 5, 2006 6:56 PM | Report abuse

BS, somehow a posting with "cup" "chafe" and "athlete's foot" all in close proximity engenders a strong feeling of ooginess for this male.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 5, 2006 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I am ashamed to admit I did not watch the Rose Bowl. My interest in college football waned when Coach James left the Huskies. Nevertheless, I did see some highlights of the game today on a HD screen that I am sure would put anything they have in Georgetown to shame. The play of Young was truly a thing of beauty.
Speaking of which, I, along with Nani, did feel that Joel's strikingly (surprisingly?) attractive wife did seem vaguely familiar. To my eye she looks a little like Nicole Kidman. Or, more accurately, Nicole Kidman looks a little like her.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 5, 2006 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm just testing your comments.

Posted by: Carla | January 5, 2006 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Testing again.

Posted by: Carla | January 5, 2006 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I sent my kid to art school and all I got was this lousy t-shirt:

Seriously, my daughter designed the shirt for me and I put it up on cafepress just in the spirit of sharing. I passed up the opportunity to add a profit margin to the prices. I realize that it's a gray area, the Washington Post has rights and all that. The slightest hint of disapproval from the Boss will make the cafepress site go away instantly. But I'll still have my shirt, and they'll have to sue me to make me give it up!

Posted by: Reader | January 5, 2006 7:52 PM | Report abuse

And I have to say THANK YOU to Achenfan for the slogan. It's perfect, as you would say, "on so many levels."

Posted by: Reader | January 5, 2006 7:55 PM | Report abuse

The shirts look fantastic. I love how the type face matches and everything. Now I just have to decide if I want to have to explain to everybody what I do with my free time.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 5, 2006 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, you all (mostly) stayed on topic today! (Why???)

CowTown, again you had me belly laughing. Hope the cookies were good.

Reader, the shirt is great - hope the WaPo lawyers don't get after you. I agree, it's a great slogan.

Did anyone else see the article the other day about the Post having a radio station now? Sounds weird to me, especially since they seem so dyfunctional about print versus online, but what the hey - maybe Joel can read his Kits aloud!

omni, thanks for reminding me that I've got to do something about my stamp situation. I stupidly loaded up on Christmas stamps and egret stamps...now I'll have to stockpile 2 cent stamps...

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 5, 2006 10:43 PM | Report abuse

SCC - dysfunctional

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 5, 2006 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Bayou Self, crouching does the cupless ump no good. The one that gets you (the one umpires fear the most)is the one fouled straight down between the catcher's feet, which then comes more or less straight up...and no amount of crouching will help. If you watch pro umpires, some keep one fist kind of resting in front of the jewels, kinda casual like (but this is a position they teach you), with the idea being it's better to break a few knuckles than...well...I don't want to complete the sentence. (A fist is better than fingers straight out, since a ball coming up in the same plane at 90 mph will just break them anyway, and go on to hit you in the bull's eye in any case. When they explain all this to rookie umps, they become more than willing to sacrifice a broken fist. Uh, can we talk about something else now? I seem to have broken out in a cold sweat.)

"Chafing dish" has always given me pause...

Cool shirts! Reader, wasn't there a whole kit a few weeks ago about Joel adding to his income, etc., with various marketing stuff? Somebody's gotta do some research to see if we're the first blog with an official (or even better, banned!) T-shirt. Well done, say I!

I knew Eisenhower was a football player, but didn't know the Jim Thorpe part of it. Ya learn sumpin every day.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 5, 2006 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Love the shirt, Reader. The green color is especially good for a blog related item, I think.

CowTown, did you make your cookies in a Rose Bowl?

I liked your reference to the "bunch of cornstalks" Joel. We dig those out here in the middle of nowhere. Local football teams practice by knocking them down - just kidding.

The Kit and Boodle came full circle with references to Normandy, Eisenhower, movies, great quarterbacking and runningbacking and football movie greats.

A challange for you: In a movie of the "Greatest Rose Bowl Game of All Time" (GRBG0AT) which current actors should play the leads - Young, Bush, White, whatizname, coaches, and Trojans' band major?

bdl

Posted by: boondocklurker | January 5, 2006 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Reader, the shirts are brilliant!

Posted by: Pixel | January 6, 2006 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Skins: 24
Bucs: 17

Posted by: ot | January 6, 2006 4:16 AM | Report abuse

otherside123.blogspot.com
www.onlinejournal.com
www.takingaim.info
www.globalresearch.ca

Robertson says Sharon's stroke is God's punishment

Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:06:31 -0800

Probably the funniest thing ol' Crack-Pat has said in recent history. What's scary is the number of people who take him seriously, and probably find this statement accurate.

It will be interesting to see if Sharon's push towards withdrawing from occupied territories will be derailed. Hopefully Israel's population is as tired of the conflict as their Palestinian neighbors.
[Posted By Shogo]
By Associated Press
Republished from KARE 11
Never afraid of sounding like a loony bastard, Pat Robertson sticks any and all feet in the immediate vicinity into his gaping maw.

The Reverend Pat Robertson says Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's massive stroke could be God's punishment for giving up Israeli territory.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network told viewers of "The 700 Club" that Sharon was "dividing God's land," even though the Bible says doing so invites "God's enmity."

Robertson added, "I would say woe to any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course."

He noted that former Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated.

Robertson said God's message is, "This land belongs to me. You'd better leave it alone."

Posted by: CHE | January 6, 2006 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Pat who?

It is sad to note that too many folks will actually treat his statements as based in reality... And it's pretty obvious he's grasping for the spotlight at every opportunity.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 6, 2006 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Lots of blogs sell shirts. That's CafePress's raison d'être. The do all the stocking, printing, and bookeeping. The blog designs and markets. The Comics Curmudgeon has a whole line. For most webcomics which are bloggish, it's got to be their major source of revenue. Other than selling ads, how else do you make money off a blog?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 6, 2006 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Reader, the Achenshirts are AWESOME.

Please thank your daughter for us.

And Achenfan, you are immortalized...

Posted by: bc | January 6, 2006 8:34 AM | Report abuse

They's a computer in the dayroom up here at the nervous hospital. Mmmm, hmmm. It aint got no sharp edges so they let me tinker with it from time to time and I seen where Nani wrote a letter to this here blog a-sayin she likes me. Mmmm, hmmm. Reckon what numbers do you push to get her on the telephone. I thaink she's cute too. All right then. Mmmm, hmmm.

Posted by: Karl Childers | January 6, 2006 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Midst laurels and T-shirts stood the creative dynamic duo of Reader and mini-Reader...

Way to go!

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 6, 2006 8:42 AM | Report abuse

SCC (channeling Carnac): bookkeeping

Q: What word in the English language has three consecutive pairs of repeated letters?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 6, 2006 8:58 AM | Report abuse

um, bookkeeper

Posted by: omnigoof | January 6, 2006 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Was in a bookstore last night buying a biography of Grover Cleveland, so momentarily picked up Carlo D'Este's biography of Dwight Einsenhower, found a section on his West Point days and football.

I recall that the book said that Ike went into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point weighing 151 and through exercise and helping himself to lots of food in the cafeteria, Eisenhower bulked up to 174. He did tackle Thorpe in one of West Point's games, and years later Thorpe remembered it, calling Ike a good linebacker.

I don't recall if the book mentioned whether Ike's football injury was as a result of tackling Thorpe. (I think it wasn't...) But the fact that you knew the better part of this football trivia--particularly as a Canuck, dr--impresses the heck out of me.

Posted by: Loomis | January 6, 2006 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Totally OT here. On the WP home page is a photo illustrating a story on cotillion classes (feh), which shows a couple of 12 year olds at a class, arm in arm and all spiffed to the nines. Both the boy and the girl are well dressed, well groomed, and attractive, yet when I saw the photo it brought back all the pain of adolescence in a very vivid way. The girl is 8-12 inches taller than the boy. He is grinning like Hillary at the summit of Everest. She looks less ecstatic. If I was in a snarky mood, I would caption this something like "And how was the Gondor ball, Mr. Baggins?" But I can't be that snarky with kids this age, too many memories. When the Kurosawachick was 10, she towered over the boys, and they didn't surpass her until about 14. Sometimes, truly, size does matter.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 6, 2006 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Not football, but last night the Candaian team won the World Juniour Hockey Championships. The teams of many nations played in front of packed houses over the last 3 weeks, and experienced rousing fan support. Our very young samll squad wond impressively by sticking to the game plan and by working thier butts off against larger, more skilled, and more talented teams. They are wonderful hockey players, led by a great coach.

After the game they stood and watched our flag raise and sang along with the crowd to our national anthem with all the spirit and energy they put into their game. As singers they are pretty good hockey players.

Posted by: dr | January 6, 2006 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Way to go, Horns!!! I am sleepwalking after a great BCS bowl season.

But Joel, do you think this compares with the 2003 championship game between Miami and Ohio State? Was that double overtime?? I remember leaving a conference dinner abruptly to catch that game at a DC bar ... not a single person thought the Buckeyes had a chance, let alone might win. The two first plays were sacks of Miami's QB, and the nation buckled in for a wild ride.

Perhaps it is impossible to compare games and say which is the best of all time. Texas-USC was close, and vince Yong more impressive alone, but if I could only watch one, I'll take the Buckeyes.

Neat thing is, OSU and Texas square off to start next season again.

Posted by: Kane | January 6, 2006 9:56 AM | Report abuse

BOO: back to chafing for a minute. Oy, suddenly I'm remembering August 2-a-days in full pads...sweat stinging my eyes, leg cramps, up-downs, heat rashes, interminable laps, the smell of the blocking sled pad, and perhaps most importantly, the value of clean socks and a freshly washed jock strap (w/cup, of course) EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Linda, they do play a slightly modified version of american football in Canada. I've seen a few CFL Grey Cup games, and if I remember correctly, guys like Joe Thiesmann, Warren Moon, and drop-kickin' Doug Flutie spent some time in the CFL.

Posted by: bc | January 6, 2006 9:56 AM | Report abuse

whoa, dr, spellcheck, spellcheck

Posted by: Anonymous | January 6, 2006 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Hello Linda!

LTNS,

Since you gobble up books ... there is a simple historical recount of the Sac and Fox tribe from UOPress by W. Hagan.

I am sure you have quite an understanding of the American Nations and their treatment as the States became what they are today. This one is especially close to my heart and I found it a great read.

It puts much into perspective about the history from the other point of view. It is somewhat interesting that you speak of a contest bestween Eisenhower and Thorpe, when just 100 years prior, those two would have been competing, but not with a pig skin.

The world is smaller than we think and our history in this country is very brief.

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | January 6, 2006 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Reader -- those T-shirts are Achentastic! I've just placed an order for a lime-green one (that's one of my favorite colors).

The T-shirt will be especially valuable to me at this point in time (er, I mean, "now"), because . . . .

OK, I have an Achenannouncement:

[Agonizes over whether to use all caps. Decides not to]

I've just found out we're moving to Hong Kong for 3 years! Woo hoo! (At least, I *think* it's Woo hoo -- it's still kind of sinking in. The good news is I'll be a lot closer to Oz. And I'll still be able to 'boodle -- although maybe not as much in the short term.)

Thanks again for the T-shirts, Reader.

Posted by: Achenfan | January 6, 2006 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Achenfan, that is great...

But, alas, you won't be able to boodle... you can write, but not read. Unfortunately, all IP traffic coming from the US to that region is used by businesses for wire transfers.($$$)

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | January 6, 2006 10:03 AM | Report abuse

January 6, 2005

To Achenblog Comment Section Contributors, aka, to wit: Reader, Dreamer, Loomis, bc, jw, mostlylurking, omnigoof, yellojkt, scottynuke, CowTown, Pixel, CHE, ot, curmudgeon, kurosawaguy, Bayou Self, boondocklurker, Historian, Tim, Science Tim, Tiny Tim, slyness, and various other contributors whom shall be hereafter known as "John Doe," or "Jane Doe:"

Notice is hereby given that all products, including without limitation posters, handbills, balloons, ball-point pens, T-SHIRTS, little troll dolls, squishy desk balls, beverage can jackets, canvas tote bags, cheap desk calculators, various small stuffed animals, keychains, doorstoppers, bicycle bottles, match covers, temporary tattoos, Miami Visitor Maps, baseball caps, mugs, badges, buttons, lanyards, USB memory sticks, cigar humidores, and small animal jackets bearing the logo of "Achenblog" will be considered a violation of copyright laws and will be subject to civil, criminal, and temporeal prosecution.

You are hereby advised to cease and desist from the purchase, distribution, display or possession of any said items. You are further advised to fall upon your swarmy little knees and beg - yes, beg - for forgiveness from the Washington Post Company, its successors, lackys, supplicants, and various hangers-on.

Please conduct yourselves accordingly.

Yours Truly,

Attorney Kevin Fairbanks
Legal Division, Washington Post Company
1150 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20071

Posted by: CowTown, Esq | January 6, 2006 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised to hear that Dolphin Michael. I know of at least one blogger in Hong Kong:

Surely there must be some level of internet service. When I was in Vietnam this summer, internet service from there was about $1/hour. With Hong Kong under PRC control, there must be some restrictions (i.e. Google filters on Falun Gong) but general boodling must be possible. Perhaps I am just naive.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 6, 2006 10:21 AM | Report abuse

And Achenfan, you'd better get a satellite (sp?) connection or something. This blog just wouldn't be the same without you.

Posted by: CowTown | January 6, 2006 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Busted by the suits before I could even buy the "value" T-shirt. Damn!

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 6, 2006 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Or humor impaired.

I better snap up one of those t-shirts before they become collectible.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 6, 2006 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I thought Dolphin Michael was just kidding? At least, I *hope* he was kidding! Otherwise, I just might have to stay here . . . something like that would be one of those "deal breakers."

Posted by: Achenfan | January 6, 2006 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Leaving the chafing aside for a moment, another football flashback would involve the shoulder pads. Gotta love the shoulder pads. Before games you'd whack another player's pads with your fists and he'd do it back to you. Man, there's something about shoulder pads that just make you want to hit something. It probably has to do with the ... padding.

C'mudge - you could crouch with your legs together. (I'm kidding. I umped little league, long ago and I know what you're talkin' about.)

Posted by: Bayou Self | January 6, 2006 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Fairbanks,
On behalf of myself and my fellow Achenbloggers, I resent and refute the vile, slanderous, evil, duplicitous, untrue, baseless, false, unholy, barbaric, nasty, crapulous, distorted, mindless, mean spirited and not-nice-at-all accusations, imputations, innuendos, rumors, insults, and lies contained in your memo of today's date. Our knees are in no way swarmy! Poop.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 6, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The news from here was not good in the last 24 hours.

We in San Antonio, just outside the city's northern perimeter, were on fire yesterday. It the big story on the front page of today's San Antonio Express-News. High winds propelled a massive brush fire that scorched more than 100 acres, with evacuations from an established subdivision, Fossil Ridge, and threatening another subdivision under construction. More than 17 different local fire departments were battling yesterday's blaze. The local ABC and NBC network affilaites preempted last night's national news to provide continuing coverage of the fire.

Every day of grand and glorious weather with turquoise skies and humidity that feels like Palm Springs means no rain. It's getting to the point where land won't support a horned toad family any more. Why just last week, a friend who lives to our northwest, out in the country, called me to say that he saw catfish and lizards carrying army canteens.

If we don't get moisture in some form soon and if grass fires continue in our part of the state, there won't be enough grass to slip between the ribs of a mosquito.

Something happened yesterday that made me do a double take. I was standing at my kitchen sink doing dishes, when I glanced outside. Maybe I hadn't had my second cup of coffee by then, but I thought I saw our giant oak tree chasing our 12-pound sheltie around the yard, begging for a dousing. It's beginning to be that bad.

**Dolphin Michael, thanks for the book recommendation. I know a lot of our family members were pushing into the Western frontier, recreating boundaries, killing or resettling Native nations. (I see in the WaPo today that many of the recipients of Abramoff money are returning the funds to Native charities.) Rev. Grindal Rawson, one of my antecedents, was among the first. Lived among the natives so he could learn their language in order to translate the Bible into their dialect (and proselytize them). Gustavus Loomis, early graduate of West Point, also comes to mind--finally retiring as commander of the two forts on Governor's Island in New York City harbor, Confederate prisons under his watch. His son-in-law is considered the founder of Fort Riley, Kansas, and Gustavus's Indian exploits were all over the early maps of the U.S.

Posted by: Loomis | January 6, 2006 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow Achenfan!

When are you and The Mr. leaving Our Grate City?

"temporeal prosecution" - ha!

Posted by: bc | January 6, 2006 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Not exactly sure when we'll be leaving, bc; probably some time in February. I've tentatively given a month's notice at my job, but it could be sooner, could be later -- depends how quickly all concerned parties can get their acts together.

In the meantime, we're going over there for a quick "pre-assigment visit" (probably next week), to look at apartments, etc. (I can't wait to check out those faux Starbuckses jw was talking about. We're going to get to the bottom of that one, don't you worry.)

Posted by: Achenfan | January 6, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Hong Kong? Go, go, go, Achenfan! Your posts from there could be as interesting as Joel's were from Japan. And the adventure and experiences to be had (and later the memories...)

Posted by: Loomis | January 6, 2006 10:42 AM | Report abuse

When in HK, be sure and see if they have one of these yet-

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 6, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Forgive me, I think Dolphin Michael is down in the Law Book Warehouse, but I am sure that he was kidding. Sometimes, he is not very funny. In fact, sometimes, he is just a moron.

MM

Posted by: Manatee Michael | January 6, 2006 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Achenfan--I didn't get a chance to explore it too much, but the "Mid Levels" district of the city is where all the ex-pats live, and it looks really cool. Lots of little shops and cafes. Expect to get very defined legs, because the climbing up and down hills and stairways is even worse than San Francisco. Good thing there's the world's longest escalator to take you from one level to the next!

Posted by: jw | January 6, 2006 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I too resent some of the remarks by Mr. Fairbanks (although my knees may be swarmy).

First point is that I was just going to ask (plead, beg) for Achenkoozies (beverage can jackets). I guess I shuold have been quicker to the keyboard.

The second point involves the boodler list. Although I realize it is quite hard (maybe impossible) to list all regulars, I am insulted that two of my favorites were not included: mo & sara.

Side note: I/we miss sara. Jeremy, please share!

Posted by: Jackie Chiles | January 6, 2006 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Congrats and best of luck, Achenfan!!! *G*

And I'm glad to see Esq. Fairbanks left out "including but not exclusively" so that we still can have our Achenteethbreeshes and Achenfloss...

(the semantic argument between "including without limitation" and "including but not exclusively" is left as an exercise for the gentle reader ((Not Reader alone, of course)).)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 6, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

new kit!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 6, 2006 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The shortest Kit ever??

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 6, 2006 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Loomis:
Indeed. I see myself studying Tai Chi, Taoism, Confucianism (or confusionism?), the I-Ching . . . the possibilities are endless.

Manatee Michael:
Yeah, I thought DM was kidding. And I don't think he's a moron. [Aren't dolphins supposed to be smarter than manatees? No offense! :)]

jw:
Yeah, we've been thinking Mid Levels (or possibly Repulse Bay). I like the idea of getting defined legs . . .

k'guy:
You just know that toilet-bowl restaurant will be one of my first ports o' call.

Posted by: Dreamer and Achenfan | January 6, 2006 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Fellow Boodlers:

This memo is to express my acute shame and remorse at having inadvertently excluded two of my Achenbuddies, in my foregoing entry, namely mo and sara. I also extend my apologies to newer members of the Boodlesphere, such as (and without limitation) Kane, Jackie Chiles, Cassandra, Nani, and dr.

Posted by: CowTown, Esq. | January 6, 2006 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hmm.

I think there might have to be a "Farewell Achenfan" Porching Hour.

Posted by: bc | January 6, 2006 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Jackie Chiles forgives you CT, Esq.

Jackie Chiles is a forgiving person.

Posted by: J.C. | January 6, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I heartily second the FAPH and promise to attend.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 6, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

And CowTown, I take extreme umbrage at the fact that, although you included many of the 'loper's alter egos in your memo, you listed only one of mine. Ah well, such is life. I'd probably be better off with more Dreamer and not so much Achenfan, in any case.

Posted by: Achenfan | January 6, 2006 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Vince's dominance gradually became an inevitability in the 4th quarter, with the Trojans looking like time travelers hesitant to lean too far over the event horizon. On the other side, there waits a game or moment of the opposite kind.

Posted by: muon | January 6, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I will just apply SCC ad nauseam to everything I have ever writ, before and hereafter.

Really I can spell. I'm not a bad speller. I just suck as a typist and see-er. My most serious apologies to the entire blog.

Posted by: dr | January 6, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, the above spelling debacle is what happens when you blog at work and the boss creeps up on you. You hit the wrong button to clear the screen so he does not know what you really spend your time doing and then blammo, everything goes kafluey.

Posted by: dr | January 6, 2006 11:30 AM | Report abuse

In the Cow Town, Esq. memo, these handles are listed:

His follow-up listed these:

mo, sara, Kane, Jackie Chiles, Cassandra, Nani, and dr.

So Achenfan, which of these are supposed to be "'loper's alter egos"?
I don't think you can count 'Tiny Tim', as that was just Tim-related humor.
"Jackie Chiles' was just in response to my having pointed out that he missed dear mo and sara. Even if you considered me "THE 'loper", that would be singular. (It also would not be the first time you have accused me).

As I have mentioned before, I may not understand the phrase "the 'loper". I thought a 'loper was one with a bad attitude. Also, I have never understood how there could possibly be only one. In any community/society there is typically more than one disgruntled person. Given the hundreds of thousands (actual number unknown by all but Hal) of people who may read this blog, how could anyone imagine that there would only be one with a 'tude?

Maybe it is a 'Dread Pirate Scott' type of deal.

Note to self: as there is a new kit in full swing, no one will probably read this. If you decide to actually hit the send button, leave it off of the new boodle (is that what the Dread Pirate Scott would do? Hmmm...)

Posted by: Jackie Chiles | January 6, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Achenfan! Congratulations and good luck to you both. At least your trips back home will be a lot shorter.

Posted by: pj | January 6, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, pj -- yes, "only" 8 hours from Hong Kong to Sydney! :)

Posted by: Achenfan | January 6, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Waay late, but IRT Leinert vs. Vick.

17 may not mean you're adult, but you are above the age of consent.

Also - just hit the wires...
"Vick, the younger brother of former Tech All-American and current Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, was arrested Dec. 17 in Hampton, Va., and charged with misdemeanor driving on a suspended or revoked driver's license, according to the Virginia Judicial Systems Web site."

Posted by: aflapr | January 6, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

ohkayy okhayy.. fist of all i want to say i am a hard core Texas fan! and i did openly cheer for them at the game.. They won. Yeah and all of you people who are still making up excuses for why USC lost need to just get over it. Comm'on cant you just give it to us once, Vince played the best game of his life that night and you dont even say anything about it. you just rag on about how he won the game no one else did. yeah he did win the game for us, we did have other people playing and they did good and all but i just couldnt keep my eyes off of Vince. and yeah bush did kinda screw it up in the begging but that doesnt mean they were going to score anyways. So get over the lame excuses and give the Longhorns some props!!! yayy Texas! they say only steers and queers come from texas, ummm i think that was all proved wrong on the game! GREAT JOB VINCE! you couldnt have done any better and good luck in your NFL season you made a great decision but we will miss cheering for ya next season!

..paige

Posted by: Paige | January 15, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The Houston sports columns have been reporting that most of the headcoaches that interviewed for the Texans head coaching position agreed that Bush is the one to pick. Huh?? What da ******? Bush is great but Vince is a 'Super-star!' It will be a LONG time before another player of his caliber comes around for our picking, if we should be in that position again! Vince will bring in the crowds from all over Texas, not just Houston. EVERYONE wants to see him play. Do the Texans think that we will get that excited to come see Bush play? Not to take anything away from Bush. He's not only a great guy, he's a great player as well but Vince is our man to carry the Texans forward. Vince is a leader who can MAKE things happen for his team, who WILLS his way to VICTORY. Come on Texans, don't be fools and let another team get him!!!
P.S. I am sick of John Lopez's column in the Houston Chronicle constantly talking about why the Texans should pick Bush instead. He has been using his column DAILY to push his preference. Instead of taking sides, the Houston Chronicle should have someone else writing the same for Vince!

Yvonne