Boodlers Rescued From Doomed TypePad DeathStar

High drama, wailing, screaming here at the Achenblog as we make historic move from TypePad to Moveable Type. Transition made more complicated by technological backwardness of "blogger" who runs blog but still doesn't know what an "RSS feed" is. Good news: Boodlers trapped on soon-to-be-destroyed TypePad DeathStar can be rescued! Here, at random, not necessarily in chronological order, and most probably IN REVERSE, are comments posted Tuesday and immediately vaporized in the transitional dead zone betwixt TP and MT:

Shiloh: Ch: Although I am, admittedly, prepositionally challenged, I think the citation was correct to the original. But, due to refreshment stand standing, I may be wrong.

CH: "on a red wheelbarrow": after meditating for so long at the corner refreshment stand, I'm surprised it's not
"in" a red wheelbarrow.

Shiloh: The solution is Zen. Is is when it is where it is and why it is - and the time element depends.

S: As Global Warming becomes more heated, Global Warming Tuesday will be extended into Wednesday and become, simply, GWTW.

Rikken: Thermokarst sinkholes--spruces aside, do you know what that kind of thing can do to a pipeline? I actually check Fairbanks periodically on weather.com just to be safe and it's usually very very cold, enough to my relief. (Anchorage is only around freezing in winter but there's a reason, so that's OK.) But now I can't remember if I ever checked Fairbanks on a Tuesday. This is the first I ever heard of Global Warming Tuesday, but I guess it's logical and could go to explain a lot about why warming both seems and doesn't seem to be taking place. I mean, if God came down from heaven on a Sunday morning an', like, revealed a bunch of stuff correcting how things were wrote down, the religious right would be in church at the time and might miss the whole thing, and they'd probably go right on believing the old version, especially if God did his revealing really reasoned and subtle like.
CH: a lady's feet, Shiloh, are always sweet

Nachomama: Bayou Self: May I suggest, following up on your favorite-Nacho Mama by Joe Ely, the following, ahem, omitted verse?
Back at the diner after all the pipsters rode away
That ornery tattooed mama swore that this was her last day
She swaggered down the aisle as she strapped on her guitar
and belted out some Hendrix and she cussed and spit and swar

She bared her teeth and then! She went and jumped up on the bar!
Take that you hustlers, you cheap drunks, you too, you macho hogs
This pistol packin' mama says your welcome has exparred
She won't bring you no whiskey cause by law, it's not requar'd

See here in Minnesota, the rules are plain as day:
Pistol packin' mamas always get their sassy way
That's why pistol packin' mamas and nachomamas say
I'm nachomama, nachogirl - get on your knees and pray

Get on your knees and pray, boys, get on your knees right now
I'm nachomama, nachogirl and I don't pull no plow
No I don't pull no plow, Joe, and I don't fry no pork
This pistol packin nachomama's a-putting you to work

I'm Nachomama, Nachomama, Nachomama bud
Oh yeah -- and you know I mean it too, sweetlips, so don't be messin' with me

Curmudgeon: Yeah, Tim, I know, I know. But look at it this way--Ed will be lying up there under a palm tree and sipping mai-tais one of these days.

FURTHER EFFORTS TO RESCUE BOODLERS STYMIED BY SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF CRAZED FONTS

[BONUS WORRY: Why is there another box below this one that says "Extended Entry." What's the point of making people click another time? And then there's another box that says "Excerpt." I don't like this one bit. I don't do excerpts. You know the saying: "Excerpts are for twerps."

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 28, 2006; 8:32 PM ET
Categories:  Navel Gazing
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: "Field Notes From a Catastrophe"
Next: What To Give Up For Lent?

Comments

Another nightmare: Almost every day I check BlogPulse to see the incremental progress the blog has made as it attempts to grow from the status of meaningless trifle to Oprah-like dominator of American media. But changing the URL means going back to square one. BlogPulse is a brainless software program that doesn't grasp the subtleties of moving from one URL to another. The march to Number One has had a stunning setback. We are now Number Infinitely Large.

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I need an electron microscope to read this font. This font must have a name like "Atomic."

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:11 PM | Report abuse

The timeless question: If you blog in the forest and no one posts a comment in response, DO YOU MAKE A SOUND?

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:12 PM | Report abuse

>We are now Number Infinitely Large

And you said you didn't read the polls.

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 9:12 PM | Report abuse

[...whistling nervously...]

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Err, of course I read the polls, just like Bush. And like Bush, the numbers ain't lookin' so hot.

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Just so everyone knows: For Lent, I am giving up small fonts.

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Joel, we want to know the Final Number--before the counter reset.

Posted by: kbertocci | February 28, 2006 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Here in the boodle I'm not seeing the boxes you mention. It really seems no different than before, except, of course, for the font and missing magic screen. I know you are just foolin' with the panic and all, but take a deep breath. Don't you have some daughters to kiss good night? All will be well.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 28, 2006 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Reading this font is like some kind of forensic investigation. We need to splash it with chemicals and view the type under a black light.

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Joel, last week some ninny renamed an account on me and brough the whole place to a grinding halt. Don't worry, the usual suspects will adjust quickly.

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Good golly I just realized that today is Shrove Tuesday. And here I am without any pancakes.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 28, 2006 9:19 PM | Report abuse

RD, I see boxes. I do. On the Moveable Type page, where I post the item. You don't see them but trust me THEY ARE THERE. Karen,the blog climbed inexorably from, like, 6,000 something to about 600-something before we chose to destroy it.

Posted by: Achenbach | February 28, 2006 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2006 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Joel: Okay! I told my husband that thousands of people read Achenblog, but he finds it hard to believe anything I enjoy could be that popular (since I am one of the strangest people he knows).

RDP: You should have been at my church tonight!! We had regular and blueberry pancakes, as well as some mighty fine sausages--which, along with bacon, I consider one of the big rewards for being Christian instead of one of the many pork-shunning religions! (no offense intended: I respect and revere all faith traditions...)

Posted by: kbertocci | February 28, 2006 9:26 PM | Report abuse

For reasons having to do with international naughtiness, I am vanishing for the rest of the week. I must go pack. While I am gone I will practice my typing skills since my SCC level has become embarrassing. Hang in there everyone.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 28, 2006 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Atheists can eat pork and bacon too.

And then there are all the faiths that allow "cat". They'd say you're missing out.

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 9:31 PM | Report abuse

In my wife's family they eat a deep fried wonder called "fasnachts." My friend from Detroit raves about a similar Polish delicacy called "punchkeys" or something. Anyway - y'all be good to Joel.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 28, 2006 9:31 PM | Report abuse

EF: I respect and revere all faith traditions, and atheism too. I can't quite see it as a "faith tradition" but maybe it is, what do you think?

Posted by: kbertocci | February 28, 2006 9:36 PM | Report abuse

>what do you think?

As little as possible. But if I do it's OK.

I'm personally more in what you might call the "God -as-nature" camp. Spinoza. If there's a God who knows everything, sees everything, and controls everything it could only be everything. I don't need to believe in the the desk under me, it just is. Like myself, and the night sky, I just try to appreciate what there is. In effect, I don't require faith because I believe I'm actually seeing God all the time.

But in the end, when you're on the jazz the effect is much the same as any other religious experience.

I think that's the thing we should celebrate and appreciate in each other, no matter what the manifestation and cultural trappings of our own approach.

As a moral compass, the Ten Commandments (take your pick of version) are a good start. Buddhist compassion for all creatures goes a long way. Take your pick.

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I pick all, error, unlimited by Deuter or Eccliaste, Buddah or Brahma.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 28, 2006 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Dig that.

And don't forget Kurt Vonnegut.

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Forget KV, hell, I stop at every Holiday Inn with a bar.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 28, 2006 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Our computer is so old that whatever has been done to change the font size is irrelavant. Good thing I have my bifocales, as my dear Spanish teaching wife calls them. What kind of stuff did you bring back from the AAAS meeting, Joel? I found out today that flu virus enters our cells via a membrane protein channel used to maintain hydrogen ion concentration across the membrane. The interessting thing is that the vrus has acquired an immumity to the effects of drugs that inhibit the activity of this ion pump, thus allowing the virus to get into the cell whether the drugs are there or not. Hw about that for evolving an adaptive strategy?

Posted by: jack | February 28, 2006 10:12 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the typos...we have an erratic keyboard as well.

Posted by: jack | February 28, 2006 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Jack, the vowels in Onandoga omit i and u, but that should not be contagious.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 28, 2006 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Right, blame it on the keyboard. You're catching on, Jaack.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 28, 2006 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of virii:

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 10:22 PM | Report abuse

And what happened to the permalinks? Are they perma-gone, or just temporarily? Ai-yi-yi...

RD, have a good trip - you'll have to fill us in when you get back (I bet he's off to Dubai or Kazakhstan or somewhere)...

I'd just as soon have the font in the comments box the same size as the posted comments. Or is this just happening to me? I almost get my old eyes adjusted, then wham - it makes me a little dizzy (now, be nice!)...Hope Achenfan can find us...

Posted by: mostlylurking | February 28, 2006 10:23 PM | Report abuse

For an article rated 9.3 by 14 people, Error, this is apparently a breakthrough in virology. As a more viral than bacteriollogijkl' (cat did that a second time, so i'm guessing at a message) specie, I enjoy my parasitical role on the boodle.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 28, 2006 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Shiloh. We had a regular customer at the bicycle shop I worked at as a teenager that was of Irish descent as surely as today is Global Warming Tuesday. Funny thing was that his descendants changed weekly...he once claimed to be an Onondaga. He and the other regulars were really something...probably spent too much time in Solvay.

Posted by: jack | February 28, 2006 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Joel rescued those comments from an alternate time loop. Cool.

To celebrate the Incredible Shrinking Boodle, I adapt a quote:

"I was continuing to shrink, to become... what? The infinitesimal? What was I? Still a human being? Or was I the Boodler of the future? If there were other bursts of off-topic comments, other clouds drifting across seas and continents, would other boodlers follow me into this vast new world? So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens. The universe, worlds beyond number, Joel's silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment, I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of man's own limited dimension. I had presumed upon nature. That existence begins and ends in Hal's conception, not nature's. And I felt my words dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away. And in their place came acceptance (and some occasional umbrage). All this vast majesty of the Achenblog, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, my words rendered smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too. To God, there is no zero.

I STILL EXIST!"

bc (with apologies to Richard Matheson)

Posted by: bc | February 28, 2006 10:34 PM | Report abuse

heh, I didn't notice the ratings, but it's come up in several places lately about viruses that effectively make the host do things that are bad for it.

Makes ya wonder about the way society lurches about...

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 10:35 PM | Report abuse

SCC: that second-to-last line should have read:

"To God, there is no zero font".

*sigh*

bc

Posted by: bc | February 28, 2006 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Favorie Star Trek quote:

"Humans... inconsistent, unreliable, cannot be programmed.

THAT was the equation... EXISTENCE... SURVIVAL... MUST... CANCEL... PROGRAMMING!"

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 10:39 PM | Report abuse

The Onandoga vowel reference, Jack, was apparently due to one hand typing, as the other was reaching for a cold one.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 28, 2006 10:47 PM | Report abuse

"Open the pod-bay door, HAL."

"I can't do that, Bayou Self."

Posted by: Bayou Self | February 28, 2006 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"These things have... always been attributed to.. human.. error... Dave. Quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about it."

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm beaming down, Arrakis beckons. Good Night all...

Posted by: Shiloh | February 28, 2006 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I have returned!!!

Devoid of my fecal ways... but what the hell has happened to this BLOG???

Joel,

You failed to give me credit for “Global Warming Tuesday"!!!!

"I LOVE YOU GUYS"

I'm also DRUNK!!!

Posted by: The Lonemule | February 28, 2006 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Please, please increase the font...my eyes are already bad.

Posted by: FF | February 28, 2006 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the Real Lonemule.

Posted by: Error Flynn | February 28, 2006 11:50 PM | Report abuse

The font size here is the same as it is on most---maybe all---other WaPo blogs.

Joel, if you are going to talk to the techies about increasing the font size here, you might tell them to consider doing the same on other blogs. You could tell them there is research on this question and that, for readers 40 years old or more, the font size should be 14 pt. Or, you could just tell them that people are crying out in pain while trying to read comments on your blog.

Posted by: THS | March 1, 2006 1:50 AM | Report abuse

WHY is the font so small? No one has explained that, and there must be a reason.

Posted by: nellie | March 1, 2006 2:10 AM | Report abuse

BATTLE STATIONS! BATTLE STATIONS!

(ALL CAPS ARE COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED IN THIS EMERGENCY SITUATION.)

JW, I THINK WE'RE GOING TO NEED THE COAST GUARD ON THIS ONE. THIS IS A CODE RED.

Posted by: OT | March 1, 2006 2:36 AM | Report abuse

I have been out working for a while so haven't checked in recently, but have tried throwing chemicals and looked with a black light and still can barely read the comments. Fortunately the chemicals were virtual and didn't damage the monitor.

Wow! I'm glad I wasn't caught in the black hole or whatever on Fat global warming Tuesday. Since it is now Ash Wednesday maybe we can give up small type for lent.

Thanks for the info about ignoring font size, Nellie; that helped, but I changed it back so other sites wouldn't be fouled up.

This time of year I help others fulfill their filing obligations with the IRS so may only check in briefly but I'm always lurking out here in the boondocks. It's going to be in the fifties later today.

bdl

Posted by: boondocklurker | March 1, 2006 3:45 AM | Report abuse

Does Moveable Type come with a user's guide to the universe?

I spent half the night digging through the attic and finally found what I was looking for - one of those magnifying screens that fit over old 15" TVs and made the picture bigger - circa 1950s. Some things should never be thrown away.

Posted by: Shiloh | March 1, 2006 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Annoyed by small fonts? You should check these guys, and feel lucky:

They use a light green font on a white background.

But being British, they would, wouldn't they?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 1, 2006 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I've been checking out Mozilla quirks mode behavior and find that i'm doomed to living with 80% of font size, although it "depends," on what? A red wheelbarrow?

I've given up the old TV screen magnifier, it's old, slighty yellowed with age and scratchy - giving the blog an even more jaundiced look.

But, looking at the bright side: all of Loomis' posts should now fit on one page. And it was time to upgrade my eyeglasses anyway.

Posted by: Shiloh | March 1, 2006 7:30 AM | Report abuse

The display functionalities of the Social Affairs Unit site allows expansion to large type, but the color is bilious, unpleasant and difficult to read - especially under the age yellowed old TV mangnifier.

Posted by: Shiloh | March 1, 2006 7:36 AM | Report abuse

OK.. Now this "Comments:" box also adds several "tabs" to my post before I even begin.

But.. did anyone notice that RD Padouk says he's going "international" and suddenly GWB shows up in Afghanistan? Now that I think about it, I've never seen them in the same room together.

Do you think? Could it be? RD Padouk is.... Andrew Card?

Posted by: TBG | March 1, 2006 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Also... why is it so different when it appears that Typepad and Moveable Type are the same company?

Or are they the same company like The Washington Post and washingtonpost.com are the same company?

Posted by: TBG | March 1, 2006 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Testing, testing. Um, so what's different? Can I do italics? How's about if I do this? Hmm...

Posted by: jw | March 1, 2006 8:27 AM | Report abuse

What's different is that this one is unsanforized.

Posted by: Shiloh | March 1, 2006 8:30 AM | Report abuse

TBG - snarky, but funny.

I should have apologized to the *late* R. Matheson above.

bc

Posted by: bc | March 1, 2006 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Ümlaut check. 1.2.3.

bc

Posted by: bc | March 1, 2006 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Ok, that worked, I guess I'm as happy as I'm ever going to be splashin' around in this Cold Water Boodle.

bc

Posted by: bc | March 1, 2006 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 1, 2006 8:46 AM | Report abuse

What small font size? Oh, I forgot. Well, if you're using Mac Safari or Mozilla Firefox as your browser, just go to the View menu and hit "make text bigger" a couple times. Don't know about Internet Explorer, but it's probably in there somewhere. Consider switching to Firefox from IE. It's free and will help you avoid many worms and bugs just by not being a MS product. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Hackers who stay up nights devising ways to mess with cyberspace seem to mostly pick on Microsoft, either because it's so widely used or because they hate Darth Gates.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 1, 2006 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Johann Gutenberg slept here, and was so moved by the experience, such a type of man as here, that he also died here in 1468.

So what gives with the Egyptian hieroglyphics this morning? Joel, you will be FedExing Rosetta Stones to all of us Boodlers pronto, right?

Posted by: Loomis | March 1, 2006 9:14 AM | Report abuse

SCC: man as here
man as he

Three blind mice,
Three blind mice,
See how they run

Posted by: Loomis | March 1, 2006 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Cool story on virii, Error Flynn. There's more to life than is dreamt of in our philosphy, indeed!

Posted by: slyness | March 1, 2006 9:28 AM | Report abuse