Lauri's Oscar Picks

Movie buff and charter Obliterati member Lauri Menditto weighs in today with her Oscar picks:

"The Oscars are going to rock this year. 2005 is going to go down in history as the Rock Oscars (cue B 52's). Jon Stewart is a brilliant ad-libber and he makes excellent silly faces. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he has the [anatomical fortitude] to serve-up his signature Bush Kabobs for all the people in the flyover states who go to bed too early to catch the Daily Show.

"Thankfully there were no Lords of the Box Office Titanics to suck up all the attention this year. All the big categories have strong fields. Best Actor will most certainly go to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for his portrayal of Truman Capote. It was an Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter quality performance; fascinating and a little scary. A close second will be Brokeback Mountain's Heath Ledger. Best Actress will go to Reese Witherspoon. Her June Carter Cash snapped, crackled and (later in the film) popped Joaquin Phoenix's Johnny Cash into getting his act together. She truly made you believe that Cash changed his ways for the love a good woman. It didn't hurt that her southern accent was as real as a tick on hound dog. Her closest contender is Felicity Huffman, who played a transsexual in TransAmerica. Apparently the Desperate Housewife star was amazing in the role, but the film got such limited distribution no one actually saw it.

"Best Supporting Actress: My money is on Rachel Weisz for her role as the murdered wife in the Constant Gardener. You knew her character was dead at the beginning of the movie but Weisz's performance was so intense that she managed to keep her alive. Amy Adams has also gotten a lot of acclaim for JuneBug, another movie that nobody saw. Thankfully it was available for rental and, I agree, Adams is charming and hilarious. But it's a one-note performance. Michelle Williams has a sporting chance to win for her wrenching performance in Brokeback Mountain.

"Best Supporting Actor: This statue will go to George Clooney, but not for his portrayal of a CIA agent in Syriana. Clooney will win because everybody loves George, and because he made Good Night and Good Luck which, though brilliant, won't win anything else.

"Best Picture will be Brokeback Mountain. It was the most talked-about film of the year. It was beautifully acted, directed, written and shot. Ang Lee will also win for Best Director." -- Lauri Menditto.

[OK, but who'll win the Battle of the Red Carpet? Who'll be this year's Shocking Fashion Disaster? Will anyone do a Brando/Scott move and turn down an Oscar? How many pre-Oscar stories will have the will power to avoid mentioning Sacheen Littlefeather? We didn't.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  March 3, 2006; 1:54 PM ET
Categories:  The Cinema
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Random Notes
Next: Gay Cowboys Galore

Comments

Paul Giamatti and Ang Lee will both win out pity for how badly they each were shafted for "Sideways" and "The Hulk" respectively.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 3, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Lauri must be an Oscar maven!

Because I agree with her picks, though I do think it's a horse race for Best Actor between David Strathairn in "Good Night" and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Since both are wonderful character actors, though, this had to be a year to say, "It's an honor to get the lead in a major motion picture."

Those of us without cable TV and pining for more Daily Show are looking forward to Stewart's performance.

On a technical note, is it my bunny ears or does High-Definition broadcast cause all those diagonal lines on my TV?

DV

Posted by: DoubleVision | March 3, 2006 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Sacheen Littlefeather

Can't seem to get to her, and to Brando and her story via Joels' link.

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Damn, yellojkt, I was going to say the very same thing.

I wonder if Jon Stewart is going to wear Hulk Hands when he presents the presenters for Best Director? If he says "Hulk smash!" at any point during the evening, I'm going to stand up and applaud. With my Hulk Hands on.

I do own an Ang Lee film: his 6 minutes ("The Chosen") of the BMW Promo "The Hire".

bc

Posted by: bc | March 3, 2006 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. I hope that having Stewart host the Academys won't add taint to Oscars handed out this year.

(Warning: if you don't watch the Daily Show, please ignore this joke and move on)

bc

Posted by: bc | March 3, 2006 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Ha-ha! The Hulk!?! I LUV movies based on comic books, but really. What year did it come out, 2003? Granted, it didn't get any nods, but that was just a rough year, and even if you don't think Master and Commander should have been nominated for best visual effects, I'd argue it's harder to make fake ships and oceans look real than it is to make fake comic book characters look like, um, comic books. I agree with the Paul Giamatti prediction though--damn that academy and their politics!

[I am a huge dork]

Posted by: jw | March 3, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Last, then I have to go.

I'm going to have a hard time getting Rock Oscar out of my head.

Lyricists, Joel's baiting you.
Let's see what you've got.

Ba bombombom bom bom bombombambom bom...
Rock!
Oscar!

bc

Posted by: bc | March 3, 2006 3:10 PM | Report abuse

bc - No sir, mustn't have any taint.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 3, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

LindaLoo your link is better so I switched it. THANKS.

Posted by: Achenbach | March 3, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

As some of you may have noticed, I love movies. It is because I love movies, and love good movies, that I do not give a rat's patoot about the Oscars. Here is an example of why. In 1953 the Oscar winner for best picture went to Cecile B. DeMille's The Greatest Show on Earth, an incredibly pedestrian tub of circus soap starring Chuck Heston and an "all star cast". This lump of dreck beat out High Noon with probably Gary Cooper's best performance and The Quiet Man with possibly John Wayne's best performance (bested only by his work in The Searchers). The other nominees were Ivanhoe and Moulin Rouge, neither great but both better than TGSOE. I chose this year because the disrepancy is so great, but similar ridiculous Oscar winners abound. The bottom line is that the awards very very frequently do not reflect the quality of the work. Titanic. I rest my case.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 3, 2006 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I have come back from having my teeth cleaned and small errands. I tried to make small talk with the blonde woman in her 40s who picked the plaque from my pearlies, as she is fairly new to the dental office and this is only the second occasion that I've sat in her dental hygenist's chair.

I attempted to start a conversation. "Have you see any good movies lately?"

"No, I haven't. Have you?"

I told her of two I had seen in the past week that I would recommend.

"Do you have any favorite picks in the Oscar race, or a favorite actor or actor you're rooting for?" I pursued.

"No. Do You mean they're [the Oscars] are going on TV soon?" she shot back.

"Yes, Sunday night at 7," I replied.

"Well, if I happen to come across them as I'm changing channels, then I'll watch," she murmured. "That one, that's up for an Academy Award--about the gay cowboys?" Her voice trailed off.

"Oh, Brokeback Mountain," I nodded.

Before our conversation ended, I asked her who provided magazines for the lobby since I had had to wait there more than an hour.

"I dunno" she mumbled.

Dr. De La Garza entered.

He wasn't sure who on his staff selected the reading material for his lobby, he confided.

"Well, I have to tell you about a magazine out there that's even better than Vogue," I began, with a sense of excitement in my voice. "That special issue of Texas Monthly by Evan Smith certainly caught my attention. It covers all aspects of the Iraq war--from all the Texas servicemen and -women killed to six people who showed in Crawford for Cindy Sheehan's Thanksgiving protest. It has a fascinating discussion about the current conflict in Iraq between H.W. Brands, who teaches history at UT Austin, and Doris Kearns Goodwin, who not too long ago won the Pulitzer for her book on Abraham Lincoln and his rivalry with Seward, Chase and Bates. Did you know that Goodwin will be speaking at Trinity Tuesday night? I can't wait to hear her lecture!"

The dental hygenist looked at me as though I had just arrived from another planet.

A pack of wild horses or a fleet of spaceships couldn't keep me from watching Oscar on Sunday night.

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

SCC: favorite actor or actor

favorite actor or actress

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

This, on a day when a Washington Post story said that we're feeding the buzz gatherers. Should I yell"ANG LEE"?

". . .To capture the chatter, Nielsen BuzzMetrics, a giant in the industry, uses software that collects hundreds of thousands of comments a day. The technology can scan for specific companies, products, brands, people -- anything searchable. It can slice data into a range of categories to quantify the number of times a subject was discussed online, the individuals who mentioned it and the communities where it appeared. . . "

Posted by: Dave | March 3, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I like Jon Stewart, and I like the Oscars, but I haven't seen any of the nominated films this year. My movie watching is way, way down - and video games and downloaded TV programs (Battlestar Galactica!) are filling the gap.

Posted by: Paul | March 3, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

SCC: H.W. Brands (aaaarggghhhh!!!)

W.H. Brands

I swear I didn't have any nitorus oxide. Look, Ma, no cavities!

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Dave,
That was a fascinating article--about how info about brand preferences is being collected from of sorts of blogs. You *should* provide the link, Dave.

I'm too worn out from the evening with David Liss. I had coffee late, my mind raced with ideas, and music from having played at the store's music listening posts, I didn't sleep well, so I'm off for a nap now.

Try to find the article Dave mentioned--fascinating read about word of mouth, blogs, and tracking software. Forgive me if it was mentioned in today's earlier Kit/Boodle. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

LL - That's a lot of yakking you do at a place where they're supposed to have fingers in your mouth.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 3, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Oscar picks from someone else who doesn't give a rat's patoot, but gets paid to care-

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 3, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Paul, I'm the same way. I'm always dreadfully behind in seeing most of the movies nominated--at least the ones still in theaters.

Is it me, or is going to the movie theater just way too much of a hassle nowadays? The last two times I went were dreadful. First time was at Hoffman Center, which is a great new gigundoplex, ruined by hordes of teens. Last time I was there, someone propped the door open and used the vestibule as a spot to hang out, letting their conversations carry into the theater. I also went to the movies at Tyson's where some guy provided running commentary throughout the entire movie, and when people shushed him, he had the nerve to actually start talking back! Going to the movies used to be an event for me--like a little treat--but jackasses like that guy have ruined it.

From now on it's mostly rentals for me, or less crowded matinees. I've got a 32-inch screen and if I sit reeeeeeeeeal close, it's almost like being at the movies.

Posted by: jw | March 3, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

jw - I also prefer movies at home. My wife talks enough to give me the true theater-going experience.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 3, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I concur with kguy about the Oscars. Often its not the best movie, the one that keeps you going back to it year after year. I suspect Mr. Kguy would be a master movie reviewer except he would hate it.

I also must admit to watching the pre-Oscar fashion parade shows. Its a little guilty pleasure.

Posted by: dr | March 3, 2006 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I was an usherette at the Majestic Theatre in San Antonio back in the 50s. We wore cute little military-styled uniforms, caps, gloves and carried flashlights to help late comers find a seat. Back then you could buy a ticket, 50 cents adults, 10 cents kids, and watch the movie as many times as you liked, stay all day if you cared to. The theatre itself was magnificent, red velvet seats, balcony, opera boxes and a lush red curtain that covered the screen and then pulled back slowly when the opening credits began. I loved that MGM roaring lion. Folks were more polite back then. (Well, except for the ladies who wore great big hats replete with flora and fauna and didn't remove them). I don't recall ever needing to ask anyone to shush. Even the bathrooms were swell. Antique dressing tables, a sofa and a maid dressed in a black silky uniform with lacy apron to assist you (with what I always wondered?)

Have a good weekend everyone. I heart Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but must root for David Strathairn (sp).

Posted by: Nani | March 3, 2006 4:16 PM | Report abuse

jw, I haven't been to a theater in years and don't miss it. Of course for a long time I had an Insigh X1 projection TV, 98" on the living room wall so all I was really missing was the live knife-fights and car thefts. I highly recommend this to anyone who can arrange for a (mostly) empty 7-8' of wall. These things are like $800 now.

Plus in the summer I take it outside and shoot against a 9x12' drop cloth. Instant drive-in movie.

The 37" HD lacks size but the quality makes up for it for the most part.

I seldom watch a movie until it's been around 10-20 years. Most of them are dreck. I figure if they've lasted that long it might be worth it.

Posted by: Error Flynn | March 3, 2006 4:16 PM | Report abuse

You are 100% correct, dr, no career as a film critic for moi. I could not stand to sit through all the sequels and lame-o Schmutzig that crawls through theaters today. My dream retirement job would be to operate a small movie house in a college town showing art flicks, revivals, classics, and monthly Kurosawa festivals, with the Saturday midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show. I would allow Bics, toast, water pistols, costumes, touching the screen, singing and dancing, everything that makes the true RHPS experience. At no other time would talking above a whisper be permitted. First offenders are warned, second offenders are ejected without refund, third offense warrants a lifetime ban.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 3, 2006 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Paul,

That reminds me. I have two episode of Battlestar Galactica to watch as well as the season premiere of Amazing Race.

I am such a dork.

I don't think I've seen any of the major nominees since I studiously avoid bio-pics which are a disrepresentative share this year. And as much as I love Felicity Huffman, I'd much rather watch my Sports Night DVD that see her talk husky with a sock stuck in her pants. That sounds so un-PC. I might as well say that if I wanted to see gay cowboys, I'd go to rodeo night at the Hippo.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 3, 2006 4:28 PM | Report abuse

kguy - i'd be a regular at your theatre! i remember when i was in pittsburgh for a summer in '88 (i think) and they had an "art house" theatre - that's where i saw harold and maude for the first time - changed my life and is still my very fav film! also, going to college in nyc gave me an opportunity to frequent "art house" theatres - i saw the last showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the 8th street playhouse (the one featured on the movie Fame when they went to see RHP) - *sigh* the memories - unfortunately, i don't know of any art house theatres in the dc area - is there still that one in Dupont?

Posted by: mo | March 3, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

k-guy,

Can I be in your Rocky Horror Picture Show stage cast? I did it once as a lark as I tell here:

It was a real blast. It let me indulge my latent thespian tendancies.

And I also made an audio-visual Brokeback Mountain joke quite sometime back.

My lifetime goal is to someday have a relevant blog entry for every conceivable boodle topic. That and to eat at every restaurant on Connecticut Avenue. Something tells me it will take a while.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

True art-house theaters have been buggy-whipped into obsolescence by DVDs. The Landmark Theaters (E Street in the District and Bethesda Row in, duh, Bethesda) show a lot of the smaller independent movies like the ones that will clean up at the Oscars this year. The AFI Silver in Silver Springs does a lot of older themes and festivals art-house style.

When I was in college, there was an arthouse in Midtown Atlanta within walking distance of campus. I saw a lot of older films there including the restored uncut subtitled version of "The Seven Samurai".

Posted by: yellojkt | March 3, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been there yet, but we have a movie house near me that (insert trumpet blare here) serves beer! And real food, too.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 3, 2006 4:46 PM | Report abuse

there's a beer cinema in arlington va - but it shows main release films that are not quite on dvd and the last time i went there it was quite a pit - haven't been in a loooonnngggg while so i don't know how it is now... anyone been to arlington cinema and draft lately?

Posted by: mo | March 3, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

speaking of cinema: i swany if it isn't Mama in clip 7!!

Posted by: bbking | March 3, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

BB: that ugly hussy (hussey?) is most certainly not Mama (check out the lillipuitan feet).
HOWEVER: [drumroll, cymbols] clip #1 molehusband rides again, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be a sly 2ndhandle of someone we all know well? Fess up: You know who you are!

Posted by: Nachomama | March 3, 2006 5:15 PM | Report abuse

[drumroll, cymbols] clip #1 molehusband rides again, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4770268.stm

I vote for molehusband. Definitely.

Posted by: cheesehead | March 3, 2006 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Nah. #7. Very classy flik. GO MAMA!

Posted by: bbking | March 3, 2006 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Omigosh... you guys don't know about Cinema Arts Theatre in Fairfax? Best independent theater in the DC area. Wonderful movies, great food, REALLY comfy seats and best of all: owned by two local guys. Film club, art films, some mainstream films (6 screens).

Right now it's showing:
Night Watch - (R)
Mrs Henderson Presents - (R)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - (R)
A Good Woman - (PG)
The Boys of Baraka - (NR)
Neil Young Heart of Gold - (PG)

Really nice kids working there, the owners are usually on the premises and just a really wonderful moviegoing experience. It's in Fair City Mall on Main St. Check 'em out at:

Posted by: TBG | March 3, 2006 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Shiloh wants to know if any of you know where the movie THE RED WHEELBURRO is playing.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2006 5:27 PM | Report abuse

There might be a marketing idea there with the food and meals idea Bayou. Maybe if the art theatre approach was aimed at an evening of entertainment, rather than just a place to see movies that were not distributed by the bigs.

I'm not really an art house movie type but I sure do wish there was something other than the big theatre way to watch movies. The multiplex really killed it for me.

Posted by: dr | March 3, 2006 5:46 PM | Report abuse

On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!
Grand old badger state!
We, thy loyal sons and daughters,
Hail thee, good and great.
On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!
Champion of the right,
"Forward", our motto
God will give thee might!"

Yankee Doodle keep it up
Yankee Doodle Dandy

Posted by: ch | March 3, 2006 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Cheese, you just jealous:

Carolina! Carolina! Heaven's blessings attend her!
While we live we will cherish, protect and defend her;
THO' THE SCORNER MAY SNEER AT AND WITLINGS DEFAME HER,
STILL OUR HEARTS SWELL WITH GLADNESS WHEVER WE NAME HER.

Hurrah! Hurrah! The Old North State forever!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The good Old North State!

THO SHE ENVIES NOT OTHERS< THEIR MERITED GLORY,
Say whose name stands the foremost, in Liberty's story,
THO TOO TRU TO HERSELF E"ER TO CROUCH TO OPPRESSION,
Who can yield to just rule a more loyal submission?

Hurrah! Hurrah! The Old North State forever!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The good Old North State!

PLAIN AND ARTLESS HER SONS, but whose doors open faster
At the knock of a stranger, or the tale of disaster.
HOW LIKE THE RUDENESS OF THE DEAR NATIVE MOUNTAINS,
With rich ore in their bosoms and life in their fountains.

Hurrah! Hurrah! The Old North State forever!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The good Old North State!

AND HER DAUGHTERS, the Queen or the forest resembling
So GRACEFUL, so constant, yet the gentlest breath trembling.
And true lightwood at heart, let the match be applied them,
How they kindle and flame! Oh! none know but who've tried them.

Hurrah! Hurrah! The Old North State forever!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The good Old North State!

Then let all those who love us, love the land that we live in,
As happy a region as on this side of heaven,
Where plenty and peace, love and joy smile before us,
Raise aloud, raise together the heart thrilling chorus.

Hurrah! Hurrah! The Old North State forever!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The good Old North State

Posted by: Nachomama | March 3, 2006 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Bayou Self writes:

Never stopped me from talking much before, that I can recollect.
***

The ritual that would re-animate the deceased was called The Opening of the Mouth ceremony. It was an important ritual in both funerary and in temple practice. The Opening of the Mouth originated as a
ritual to endow statues with the capacity to support the living ka, and to receive offerings. It was performed on cult statues of gods, kings, and private individuals, as well as on the mummies of both humans and Apis bulls....

Other implements besides fingers were added, as indicated by Spells 11-15 of the Pyramid Texts. They describe the Opening of the Mouth ceremony using the foreleg of a bull and an iron wood-working adze.

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 6:04 PM | Report abuse

TX toothpik: forleg of a bull and an iron wood-working adze uh-huh

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2006 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Some of Menditto's writing, as provided by Joel through the link:

This year my New Year’s resolution is to give our house a name. I’d like the name to sound gothic and vineyard-esque, something that inspires respect and just a touch of envy.

It also should be recognizable so when I tell the dry cleaner: “I must away to Frog’s Claw,” he knows exactly where I’m going and is more than a little impressed.

This may seem pretentious, but that’s the point. Everything inside our house is broken, cracked or in desperate need of batteries. It wasn’t always like this; we just woke up one morning and found that all of our possessions had spontaneously combusted....

That’s why, after much consideration, I’ve decided to name our house after the new Ang Lee film, Brokeback Mountain. We don’t actually live in the mountains (not unless you count the dirty laundry), but that doesn’t bother me. Brokeback Mountain accurately reflects the character of the house and, more importantly, the name recognition might attract wannabe gay cowboys who are likely to be handy and have good fashion sense.

So the next time someone tells you that they are off to visit our nation’s capital to see all the historic sights, Capitol Hill, the White House, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial, don’t forget to tell them to visit Brokeback Mountain as well. We’ll leave the light on.

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Château Bayou Self is formallly known as the Mustang Ranch.

Hey, it's a ranch and I own a Mustang. The ranch is a ranch-style 2,000-square-foot home. The Mustang is a '66.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 3, 2006 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Bayou Self meant to say that the name of the place is so formal that it takes three l's to spell the word formallly.

Posted by: Bayou Self's Public Editor | March 3, 2006 6:17 PM | Report abuse

TN has no less than 5 state songs and certainly deserves it.

Half bear, other half cat;
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop!!
WHEW!

ROCKY TOP
Wish that I was on ol' Rocky Top,
down in the Tennessee hills;
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top;
Ain't no telephone bills;
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top;
Half bear, other half cat;
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that;

Chorus

Once two strangers climbed ol' Rocky Top,
lookin' for a moonshine still;
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top;
Reckon they never will;
Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top;
Dirt's too rocky by far;
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top
get their corn from a jar;

Chorus

Rocky Top, you'll always be
home sweet home to me;
Good ol' Rocky Top;
Rocky Top, Tennessee;
Rocky Top, Tennessee.

Posted by: bbking | March 3, 2006 6:18 PM | Report abuse

AARP magazine did a spoof on this year's Academy Awards titled "Movies for Grownups." The statuettee is a gold La-Z-Boy recliner.

In a special (honorable mention) sub-category called,"No Chair, but... Not everybody goes home with the La Chaise d'Or trophy. But how could we fail to mention:"

The best three, IMHO:

WHO'S YOUR DADDY? ROMANTIC-GAP PRIZE:
Steve Martin, 60, and Claire Danes, 26 in "Shop Girl." Even if you're rich and witty, you still look stupid chasing a young babe.

WORST ROOMMATE:
Tim Robbins as the crackpot basement refugee in "War of the Worlds"--and Tom Cruise for his rather permanent way of dealing with him.

NOT-SCARED-SHIRTLESS PRIZE:
Liam Neeson, 53, in "Batman Begins" and Dennis Quaid, 51, in "Yours, Mine, and Ours." Stripped to the waist, they're still something for the ladeez.

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 6:24 PM | Report abuse

>The Mustang is a '66.

Bayou, my first car.

Convertible, all black. Still looking for another one.

Posted by: Error Flynn | March 3, 2006 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Cheesehead votes for Oscar and only Oscar and recommends: A Jazz Odyssey, by Oscar Peterson.
Who needs actors/images? Hit me.

Continuum Publishing of London has released Oscar's autobiography (17 years in the making) to the major book outlets in the U.S. and Canada including Chapters and amazon.

Posted by: Cheesehead | March 3, 2006 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Our house is on a hill, so we call it Fools on the Hill. We thought about adding 'House' to the end, but it just didn't need it.

Posted by: dr | March 3, 2006 6:35 PM | Report abuse

My husband is a professional artist so our house is proclaimed "Studio di Tocci"--sometimes we have a plaque or a sign with the name on it, sometimes not.

Posted by: kbertocci | March 3, 2006 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Well, another boring Friday night. Mama is off to the Opera and I hate to think, given her staggering range, of what I will have to endure next week... ;-) bbking in private email mentioned that he is heading back to TN immediately to look up chicks near Rocky Top. That leaves Cheesehead with nothing to do but keep his date for tutoring with the ghost of Wm. Stafford. I'm sure you all approve but hey, don't go overboard on the applause as I leave.

Posted by: Cheesehead | March 3, 2006 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Our abode is known as "La Mansion de Muy Trabajo."

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Tommy Lee Jones is interesting in doing a sequel to his Cannes-award winner "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada."

Jones will use our home, La Mansion de Muy Trabajo, as the setting and backdrop for the project: "The Three Burials of Guillermo, Hondo y Linda: La Familia de Muy Trabajo: El Dio de los Muertos."

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Well our abode is just known as Maison sweet trailer. We don't mean to put on airs, but unlike many of you city folks, even our lovely deer stand has it's own address. How to find us? Well, just look for the flamingo with buckshot holes in it because, you could spend all night looking for the porch roof after the last bad storm. We don't bother with skirting around the maison..makes it too hard for the dogs to get under the remains of the porch when it rains. Hubby wanted a couple more houndsdogs but I said we just don't need another dog. The critters got nothin to complain about though. I mean, the dog house and living room both have the same carpet. It's mucho homey. We got a delux Lava lamp and a dandy catfish aquarium and brand new towels from Motel 6. Take it like it is folks, is what I say: Bingo is more important than housework. Now our anniversary is comin up and I said, honey, I like Guns n Roses but this year, make mine moonshine. But I suppose since the Oscars are that night we'll be headin to the laundromat to watch TV. Loomis, you might wanna try a glue gun on those dentures.
Au revoir!

Posted by: LorettaLottaWattle | March 3, 2006 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I gots TWO lava lamps. And a fountain.

Note to Hollywood: I'm watchin' F-Troop. Piss off.

Posted by: Error Flynn | March 3, 2006 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, very convenient, fountains. Yes I meant to say we have a fountain. It's in the side yard. Saves on Comet, you know,
cleanest one in first, and all.
Your place must be lit up and I don't mean
maybe. Remember, Error, Oscar night whatever you do, bump it up, bump it up and don't miss the coma. Amen brother.

Posted by: Loretta | March 3, 2006 8:04 PM | Report abuse

well actually the fountain is in the jardin. excuse moi.

Posted by: Loretta | March 3, 2006 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Nous aussi! We thought about calling it Maison sweet trailer "house" but it just didn't need it.

Posted by: LorettaLottaWattle | March 3, 2006 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Error: Who wrote that show? As always, the b/w episodes are best...the story of the Hakawi (sp) and all of the physical comedy are now sadly lost to innuendo; can't hardly watch anything with the kids on network tv.

Posted by: jack | March 3, 2006 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh big deal, big deal Loomis. Couple years back Tommy Lee hung around here for WEEKS trying to bribe us into lettin him do a live series here: Burial of Trois rusted pickups, Honky Y Tonky and El Dio de los Losses. We were not impressed with the titles and prefer our privacy, peace and quiet. Just nous and the roaches.

Posted by: LorettaLottaWattle | March 3, 2006 8:17 PM | Report abuse

jack,

writers credit aren't on the jacket, I'll have to wait until the next credits. G-rated but tons of innuendo and great lookin' gals. Politically-incorrect? Nah, everybody portrays Indian chiefs as Jewish merchants... and they were terrific.

Ken Berry must've been a dangerous man to be around, he could fall over a slight change of wind.

Posted by: Error Flynn | March 3, 2006 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, back home again. I've learned all sorts of things about the Internet as an Emerging Threat and what we can do to keep the Homeland safe. Not as much as I would like, but more than I thought.

Anyway, before I crash I wanted to highlight a few points of great importance.
They were the Hekawi Indians, so named because when their ancestors arrived they asked themselves "Where the Heck are we?" (Look I didn't write the stuff...)
Error Flynn, at one point I had 7 homemade lava lamps in my office. (Actually one base and seven alternate tops.) I perfected the recipe over many hours of tedious experimentation. The key ingredients were Perchloroethylene and Petroleum Jelly. I once dropped one and the entire hallway smelled like an old dry cleaner for days. Alas, those days are long gone.

And on topic, kinda, why must we wait until midnight to get to the good awards? Weren’t the Olympics punishing enough?

Now to bed and dreams of Calamity Jane.

Posted by: RD Padouk | March 3, 2006 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Since state songs have creeped back into the house, I would like to provide the lyrics of Randy Newman's version of "My Old Kentucky Home" in which he is even nice enough to nod his head to Stephen Foster. (For what it's worth, I went to Stephen Foster Intermediate School.):

My Old Kentucky Home

Turpentine and dandelion wine
I've turned the corner and I'm doin' fine
Shootin' at the birds on the telephone line
Pickin' em off with this gun of mine
I got a fire in my belly
And a fire in my head
Goin' higher and higher
Until I'm dead

Sister Sue, she's short and stout
She didn't grow up - she grew out
Mama says she's plain but she's just bein' kind
Papa thinks she's pretty but he's almost blind
Don't let her out much 'cept at night
But I don't care 'cause I'm all right

Oh, the sun shines bright on
My Old Kentucky Home
And the young folks roll on the floor
Oh, the sun shines bright on
My Old Kentucky Home
Keep them hard times away from my door

Brother Gene, he's big and mean
And he don't have much to say
He had a little woman who he whupped each day
But now she's gone away
He got drunk last night
Kicked mama down the stairs
But I'm all right so I don't care

Repeat Chorus

Posted by: pj | March 3, 2006 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I held off in the last boodle about state songs, but since we're back at it - the state song of Washington (state) was *almost* Louie, Louie. It's true, and I have the website to prove it:
Wherein it says:
Was "Louie Louie" ever made a state song in Washington or Oregon?

Thanks in a large part to the folks behind KING-TV's "Almost Live" television show in Seattle, Washington, "Louie Louie" almost became the official state song of the state, edging out the current official state song, "Washington, My Home." While it never became the "official state song" of Washington, it was instead deemed the "official rock song" of Washington, inspiring other states to also declare "official rock songs." The state of Oregon tried to also make "Louie Louie" their state song, but it too, fell short.

I must add the Almost Live was a fine local comedy show, and was where Bill Nye the Science Guy got his start. He also played other characters, such as Speed Walker, a superhero who speed walked (heel, toe, heel, toe) - but you could tell the Science Guy was the real thing.

Posted by: mostlylurking | March 3, 2006 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Louie Louie is played during the seventh inning stretch at Mariner games. I know, that's enough...

Posted by: mostlylurking | March 3, 2006 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Linda Loo, I'm glad someone else is excited about the Oscars. I'm going to a "party" (there will be 4 of us), so it should be fun. I went last year and hadn't seen even one movie that was nominated - so this year I made an effort and have seen about 12! About half I really liked and would recommend:
Wallace and Gromit
The Corpse Bride
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Good Night, and Good Luck
Walk the Line
The Constant Gardner
Pride and Prejudice

A good year, I think - the bloated, overhyped blockbusters aren't there. And yes, we watch the Red Carpet thing too...

Posted by: mostlylurking | March 3, 2006 10:15 PM | Report abuse

mostlylurking,

I have video of those guys playing Louie Louie in Philly, about a hundred years ago... I still have to digitize it.

Posted by: Error Flynn | March 3, 2006 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Fanks for awowing me in your bwog. Pwobabwee i wuv you, yellowjkt.

Posted by: Elmer Fudd | March 3, 2006 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Louie Louie is also the official song of the Rice University Marching Owl Band (The MOB).

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 3, 2006 10:20 PM | Report abuse

**I have it on good authority that Jon Stewart will be at a microphone outside the Kodak Theatre at the Hollywood & Highland Center in Greater Los Angeles, humming this tune as the stars, starlets, and the accounts of PricewaterhouseCoopers walk the red carpet on Sunday afternoon/evening. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is reported to be learning to sing the lyrics to the Caleefornia state song.

Inside sources say that the governor and former weightlifter is also taking private dance lessons so that he can perform at his own Governor's Ball following the telecast. Samantha Harris, journalism grad who was formerly a cohost of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" and soon to join ABC News' "Good Morning, America," will attempt on Sunday evening to coax the former Austrian from Graz into the upcoming third round of competition in the "Dancing with the Stars" series. The governor's participation in the next round of the popular dance contest is an attempt by Republicans to improve both the Governor's name recognition as well as his approval rating with California voters.
***

California's official state song is "I Love You, California", written by F.B. Silverwood, a Los Angeles merchant. The words were subsequently put to music by Alfred Frankenstein, a former conductor for the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra. It was the official song of expositions held in San Francisco and San Diego in 1915, and was played aboard the first ship to go through the Panama Canal.

In 1951, the State Legislature passed a resolution designating it as California's state song. During the years following, several attempts were made to make other songs such as "California, Here I Come" the official state song. Finally, in 1988, "I Love You, Califomia" became the official state song by law.

I Love You, California

I.
I love you, California, you're the greatest state of all.
I love you in the winter, summer, spring and in the fall.
I love your fertile valleys; your dear mountains I adore.
I love your grand old ocean and I love her rugged shore.
Chorus
Where the snow crowned Golden Sierras
Keep their watch o'er the valleys bloom,
It is there I would be in our land by the sea,
Every breeze bearing rich perfume.
It is here nature gives of her rarest. It is Home Sweet Home to me,
And I know when I die I shall breathe my last sigh
For my sunny California.
II.
I love your red-wood forests - love your fields of yellow grain.
I love your summer breezes and I love your winter rain.
I love you, land of flowers; land of honey, fruit and wine.
I love you, California; you have won this heart of mine.
III.
I love your old gray Missions - love your vineyards stretching far.
I love you, California, with your Golden Gate ajar.
I love your purple sunsets, love your skies of azure blue.
I love you, California; I just can't help loving you.
IV.
I love you, Catalina, you are very dear to me.
I love you, Tamalpais, and I love Yosemite.
I love you, Land of Sunshine, Half your beauties are untold.
I loved you in my childhood, and I'll love you when I'm old.

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I just hate it when WaPo op-ed columnist Richard Cohen doesn't do his homework:

***Hollywood has no major gay actors -- none out of the closet, that is.*** "Brokeback" needed some star power, otherwise it would have been a minor gay art film. So the producers got two straights to impersonate gay men -- and then reassured everyone in sight that they were not gay at all. Whatever this is -- and it is worthy in its own terms -- it is not a revolution but rather a statement of how little things have changed. In more ways than one, "Brokeback Mountain" is a tragedy.

Posted by: Loomis | March 3, 2006 11:35 PM | Report abuse

LindaLoo? Are you still there?

Here's a California song I like:

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A.
California dreaming
On such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees
And I pretend to pray
You know the preacher likes the cold
He knows I'm gonna stay
California dreaming
On such a winter's day

-- From "California Dreaming," by The Mamas and the Papas

[And yeah, I realize I'm not exactly breaking any new ground here, but I wanted to get back in the saddle. Maybe after I've visited the big golden Buddha on Lantau Island, or had my fortune told at Wong Tai Sin temple (dedicated to the Daoist god of healing and good fortune), I'll have more to say.]

Posted by: Dreamer | March 4, 2006 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Dear Error and RD: Ken Berry's Parminter was a thoroughly dangerous man, as witnessed by his agility. David Bromberg's Danger Man should have been his theme song. I suppose you have heard the alternate version of the Hekawi joke. Larry Storch always did something that was a show stealer. Don't get to the movies, excepting Eastwood pictures, although I missed Million Dollar Baby. My wife claims that our marriage has been rife with only dates to Eastwood movies...she's right. I went to Bridges somewhat grudgingly...only thing worse would be having to watch Lee Marvin and Eastwood belt out their numbers in Paint Your Wagon.

Posted by: jack | March 4, 2006 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Please bookmark:
otherside123.blogspot.com
www.onlinejournal.com
www.takingaim.info
www.wsws.org

UAE buys British firm that runs U.S. military facilities

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Friday, March 3, 2006

WASHINGTON — The United Arab Emirates intends to operate U.S. military factories.

The Bush administration has informed Congress of a review of the UAE acquisition of a British manufacturer of engine components for U.S. military aircraft and main battle tanks. The British firm operates nine factories, including military production facilities in Connecticut and Georgia.

Officials said Dubai International Capital has acquired the London-based Doncasters Group for $1.2 billion. Doncasters produces engine components and turbine blades for military platforms, and its clients include Boeing, General Electric, Honeywell and Pratt and Whitney, Middle East Newsline reported.

"It's a standard business deal by a consortium that seeks opportunities," an official said. "But it also fits in well with Dubai's plans to create an aerospace industry."

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States completed a standard 30-day review and last week decided to extend the investigation for another 45 days. Dubai International is part of Dubai Holding, the third-largest shareholder in DaimlerChrysler.

The latest reviews by CFIUS came amid sharp opposition in Congress to the panel's decision to approve the UAE takeover of operations of six U.S. ports. In January, CFIUS approved the $6.8 billion takeover of Dubai Port World of a British company that has long operated the American ports.

Congressional sources said the Senate Banking Committee was informed of the CFIUS investigation of Dubai International on Feb. 27. The committee was also informed that the Treasury panel has ordered a 45-day review of a proposed Israeli takeover of a U.S. contractor for the American intelligence community.

On Thursday, Deputy Treasury Secretary Robert Kimmitt said the additional review of Dubai International stemmed from what he termed unresolved security questions. He would not elaborate.

Officials acknowledged that CFIUS has reduced security reviews of foreign companies that aim to establish a presence in the United States. In 2005, 65 foreign companies were investigated, compared to 204 in 1989.

"We clearly have to do some things inside the departments, and we clearly have to do quite a bit in finding ways to provide you more promptly with the information you need," Kimmitt told the Senate Banking Committee.

Officials identified the Israeli suitor as Check Point Software Technologies, a company traded in Israel and the United States. Check Point has offered $228 million for the Maryland-based firm Sourcefire, which supplies security software for the Defense Department and intelligence agencies.

"Check Point and Sourcefire are both committed to working cooperatively with the committee during the investigative period," Check Point said in a statement.

Earlier this week, Congress was informed that CFIUS would undertake an additional 45-day review of Dubai Port World. The first review lasted for the standard 30 days.

"Dubai cannot be trusted," House Armed Services Committee chairman Rep. Duncan Hunter said. "I intend to do everything I can to kill the deal."

Posted by: che | March 4, 2006 3:15 AM | Report abuse

I am correct that Lee Marvin did a wonderfully gritty (ha, ha!) job on "Wanderin' Star" in 'Paint Your Wagon', aren't I? I mean, wasn't the whole point of the song that he was just a rugged, wanderin' kinda guy, not a stay-at-home-and-learn-how-to-sing kind of dude?

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 3:49 AM | Report abuse

L. Loomis - As I look over the list to which you linked, I see mostly support for Cohen's point. I note very few current big Hollywood male actors on that list, and none who aren't known primarily for their gayness. His point, I think (and which I think that you've supported nicely) is that gay is still queer in Hollywood.

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 3:58 AM | Report abuse

Four am in the morning
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
I watched your vision forming
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
Star was light in a silvery night
Far away on the other side
Will you come to talk to me this night
But she couldn't find how to push through

-- from "Moonlight Shadow," by Mike Oldfield

[Still getting a kick out of seeing these early-morning date stamps on my posts]

Posted by: Dreamer | March 4, 2006 4:00 AM | Report abuse

[Oops -- I probably should have posted the whole thing. As Joel said, excerpts are for twerps.]

[Now that I think about it, practically all my posts are excerpts. I am a ninkimpoop (sp?).]

Moonlight Shadow

The last that ever she saw him
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
He passed on worried and warning
Carried away by a moonlight shadow.
Lost in a river last saturday night
Far away on the other side.
He was caught in the middle of a desperate fight
And she couldn't find how to push through

The trees that whisper in the evening
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
Sing a song of sorrow and grieving
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
All she saw was a silhouette of a gun
Far away on the other side.
He was shot six times by a man on the run
And she couldn't find how to push through

I stay
I pray
I see you in heaven far away
I stay
I pray
I see you in heaven far away
Far away on the other side.

Caught in the middle of a hundred and five
The night was heavy but the air was alive
But she couldn't find how to push through
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
Far away on the other side.

[But "in the morning" is somewhat redundant with "four am," no?]

[You'd think I'd have something better to do, wouldn't you? The thing is, the cable guy is still trying to get the TV to work, so I ain't going nowhere for awhile.]

Posted by: Tom fan and Dreamer | March 4, 2006 4:20 AM | Report abuse

SCC:
Excerpts are for twerps, not excerpts excerpts. (I'm twice the twerp I used to be.)

Posted by: Tom fan | March 4, 2006 4:25 AM | Report abuse

A slight correction is in order:

I don't mean that Jaye Davidson, Harvey Fierstein, Tom Hulce, Anthony Rapp, and Stephen Spinella are actually known primarily for being gay. I do mean that they are NOT major stars, and also are known (by people who pay attention to these things) to be gay.

The only two fairly major male box office figures I can recall recently who have reasonably well transcended the "queer" label are Rupert Everett & Ian McKellen. It's no great big secret that they're homosexual, but it hasn't particularly defined their careers. I'll note that Sir Ian kept it reasonably quiet for most of his career, and that neither McKellen nor Everett is anywhere the top 25 paid actors in Hollywood.

I think that it's possible that Cohen knows what he's talking about in ways that you haven't considered fully. I'm also willing to consider the possibility that I don't know what I'm yalking (that's talking/yakking) about. Feel free to correct me!

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 4:32 AM | Report abuse

Just for research purposes, here's Forbes' list of the 10 top paid actors last year (rather short of folks loudly proclaiming their homosexuality!):

Will Ferrell - $40 million
Johnny Depp - $37
Ray Romano - $36.5
Will Smith - $35
Tobey Maguire - $32
Tom Cruise - $31
Denzel Washington - $30
Adam Sandler - $28
Matt Damon - $27
Brad Pitt - $25

I'll also note that's the list of the top ten actors AND actresses. The next ten people on the list are all women (Drew Barrymore @ $22 mil, working down to Julia Roberts in #20 with a pittance of $8 million)

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 5:12 AM | Report abuse

kuroswaguy(at march 3,03:17pm)nicely puts
the oscars in perspective...the hype,self
mirroring and glitz all being of course
everso entertaining...but in the way of
picking the winners the spotlight may be
not on spot...brokeback mountain may or
may not achieve status as a movie pantheon
great...time only will reveal that...it
somehow feels like 1982's MAKING LOVE...
that movie also cast two straight men...
michael ontkean and harry hamlin in the
roles of two men overcome by uncharted gay
desire and love...for those of us who are
gay that movie was for its time a breakout
from the norm...brokeback mountain returns
to the same theme...more jagged in story
line... more powered as to emotions and
outcomes...for me the emotional highpoint
is the fate of jack twist...in a texas road
ditch...beaten to death...thoughts of what
befell matthew shepperd come to mind...i
concluded a longtime ago that hatred of
this sort for someones other choice of who
to desire or love is hatred most unbridled.
the abiding love of two men in brokeback
mountain encounters the fear of ignorance
and strangers prejudicial hatred...jack
did not deserve to die beaten in a ditch...
ennis knows it...and hopefully those who
see this movie will know it too...

Posted by: an american in siam... | March 4, 2006 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Source for above:

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Am in Siam: I'm not generally a fan of thumbnail psychology, but the single truest thing I've ever heard or read was summed up nicely in the title of a little paperback that I picked up somewhere in the '70's.

"Love is Letting Go of Fear"

The basic thesis is that all negative emotions (without exception) are some manifestation of fear. The greater the fear, the stronger the negative emotion. Fear of the unknown is almost always greater than the fear of the known.

Once people decide that other folks are "THE OTHERS", then all sorts of awful things can come to seem reasonable, because they are the feared unknown.

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 5:24 AM | Report abuse

Amen to that, Bob S.

Posted by: Dreamer | March 4, 2006 5:28 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer: I'm glad you appreciated that little tidbit. It really has helped me put a lot of things in perspective over the years. I think it's even more deeply true than the other truest thing I've ever heard, which is the good ole' Golden Rule.

I haven't done a formal logical analysis, but I strongly suspect that "Do unto others ..." is necessarily related to "... Letting Go of Fear"

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer, I have had 'California Dreamin' in my head the last couple of days. We have a new radio station in town and they played Queen Latifas version. Absolutely lovely.

Bob, Amen number 2. These are very powerful words to start a weekend of contemplation.

Posted by: dr | March 4, 2006 6:21 AM | Report abuse

[Oh you guys -- now you've got me all riled up for another excerpt:]

". . . this view of separateness is one of the most destructive things. It's the thing that creates everything; all the problems in the world, the wars, the views of I need more than you, the aggressiveness in everything from business to the classroom. And we're now realizing that paradigm is wrong. That we aren't separate, that we aren't all alone. We are all together. That at the very nethermost element of our being, we are one; we are connected. And so we are trying to understand and absorb what are the implications of that."

-- Lynn McTaggart, author of "The Field"

[Orange you glad I brought my New-Age-mumbo-jumbo books with me to Hong Kong?]

Posted by: Dreamer | March 4, 2006 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'm not so sure that we are all connected. I think it's quite possible that we're all separate and alone, in any sense that's measurable and real. But I also have noted that rational action leads to some pretty feel-good stuff.

I genuinely believe that my own self interests are usually best served (in both the long run and even the fairly short run) by doing well by others. It's all about being sufficiently strategically (rather than tactically) selfish!

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Marlon Brando & Sacheen Littlefeather (I think that the AchenDeity did mention them way up top somewhere), don't I remember that she gave a fairly modest little statement explaining that Mr. Brando felt disinclined to accept the award 'cuz the motion picture industry had been complicit in the f'ing-over of the redmen, and then quietly take her leave? I don't recall her having to be dragged off the stage or anything.

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Public service announcement for anyone who missed it (speaking of feel-good stuff) here are a couple of links to videos of the Jason McElwain (high school basketball manager/player story). If this one doesn't make you grin and possibly bring a tear to your eye, then you're DEFINITELY not having fun!

Posted by: Bob S. | March 4, 2006 10:26 AM | Report abuse

American in Siam, Bob S - very good points about Brokeback Mountain. Richard Cohen's column annoyed me a bit, because I don't really care about other people's sexual orientation - I mean, if I'm going to be personally (sexually) involved with them, I care - but otherwise, I don't think it's any of my business. So it doesn't matter to me that Heath and Jake aren't gay (presumably) - they're acting! And I thought they did a heck of a job...and the story is heartbreaking, and not strictly applicable to gay relationships...

Posted by: mostlylurking | March 4, 2006 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Bob S, the CBS story by Steve Hartman is wonderful - I cried, Bob Shieffer was choking up (I heart Bob Shieffer).

Has Aaron Brown been seen or heard from? I wonder what's happened to him...

Posted by: mostlylurking | March 4, 2006 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I think Richard Cohen has jumped the shark. it started with his support of going to war with Iraq.

The "Brokeback" column is absurd. It's like the kerfluffle over an Anglo playing Charlie Chan. Ever hear of makeup? How about a light-skinned Indian playing Italian, is that OK? Canadian playing American?

How about that guy who played the Wookie, shouldn't that part have gone to a real Wookie?

Posted by: Error Flynn | March 4, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

If memory serves correctly, the union (ActEq, or some Asian sub-unit thereof) went a little nuts because Jonathan Pryce was too Cauc to deserve a juicy inscrutable role in "Miss Saigon". Wow!

As Kirk Douglas is reported to have said to John Wayne when the Duke advised him against playing such a sensitive role as Van Gogh, "Marion, we're just actors. We're not REALLY tough guys!"

Posted by: Bob S. | March 5, 2006 2:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd just like to thank american in siam for giving away what I presume is the ending to Brokeback Mountain. Those of us who haven't actually been able to see the film yet really appreciate your comments.

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | March 5, 2006 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone so fired up about this movie? It really hasn't done all that well in the theaters anyways. The numbers I've seen say its only made about 76 million pre oscar And most people I've talked to say they have not and will not see it. According to the powers that be, a movie needs to make at least 100 million to be considered a blockbuster. So my question is why was BBM even nominated? And for that matter, why was any of the movies? CRASH, CAPOTE, etc. None of these movies made over 100 million but the Chronicles of Narnia made 300 million and was not nominated for best picture. The Passion of the Christ made 400 million and wasn't nominated at all last year. HMMMMMMM, makes you think don't it? Man I'm sick of Hollywood.
This is a clear cut case of the liberal agenda trying to force their homosexual opinions on us. And I for one am sick of it. I'm sick of seeing it on TV, in politics (gay marriage) and now in the movies. Homosexuality goes against God and nature. You ever see two bucks doin it in the woods? Leviticus 18:22 says: Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. I mean really, how much more proof do you need?
Go ahead and call me anything you want, personally I don't care. I don't have to answer to you. I have to answer to God and you will to. I don't claim to be perfect by any means. I'm a sinner just like the rest of you but I know what sin is and homosexuality is a sin plain and simple. Get over it, accept it for what it is and move on. One more thing. People are not born gay. God created man and He would not deliberately give you something that would make you sin against Him. There is no gay gene no matter what they tell you. Homosexuality it is a choice. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

Posted by: Don | March 9, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse