Your Small Thoughts

Sirin writes:
I feel the underlying motive behind making the font small is to tell us, in a really underhanded, passive aggressive way, that our thoughts are "smaller" and not as significant as those who really write FOR the Washington Post.

That is precisely correct, Sirin, and is what I've been trying to hammer home, lo these many months, as boodlers have attempted to take over the blog through pernicious and prodigious commentating. What I say matters. Your thoughts are smaller. Allowing comments at all is a form of journalistic charity. Thus we have instituted font-based value-assessment. I am lobbying for a 24-point calligraphic font with a medieval, illuminated-by-monks look. Everyone else will continue to have this Sub-atomic Particle Font visible only with instruments normally used to examine moon rocks. [Update: Apparently the ranting in the past day or so has paid off and the font is pretty much back to normal.]
Let's go through some specific examples, grabbed rather hastily from a single comment thread on this blog (Feb. 9), of small-font-worthy writing by you, the ordinary people, what I would call "the rabble" were it not for the risk that it would be taken the wrong way:

ABJunkie: Up until my first daughter was somewhere around three or four, I thought I was better at being a mom than I had ever been at anything. I didn't think I was perfect, but I knew I was really, really good in a way I'd never been before. I felt like I struck just the right balance between security and freedom - that I was giving her the space to create herself and discover the world with me as her safety net. She's now seven and I can barely remember feeling that way. How quickly she grew beyond my level of expertise. Now I slog through, clinging to scattered moments of good parenting. I had no idea it would get this hard this soon. Silly me, I thought I had until the teenage years.

Kurosawaguy: For better or for worse, we most often pattern our parenting style on that of our parents. Countless times I have been talking to my daughter and suddenly heard my father's voice, then realized that it was me speaking. Fortunately for me, and her, this is generally a good thing, as my dad was a kind and gentle man, or at least as kind and gentle as Strategic Air Command colonels get. Likewise, the children of abuse become abusive, etc. But what about the son of a part time or absentee father? Does one resolve to do better than the old man? Inflict the childhood resentments on the next generation? Follow the model of mom? Adopt some fictional model a la Marilyn Monroe vis a vis Clark Gable? Ward Cleaver? Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable? The longer I live the more grateful I am to my parents.

asdg/Error Flynn: I'm surprised I know my families' name sometimes. This is for a very good reason, as I was 27 when I found out my real grandfather had committed suicide, my grandmother re-married and her husband adopted my father so my real legal name is NOT my actual family name. I found out my grandfather's name a couple of weeks ago, at age 46. My father was not a happy person; I can hardly blame him for whatever failings I may have felt as a kid after the divorce, but we were estranged since I was a teen. I went to his funeral, but only just. He had been dead to me for many years already. The funny thing is my step?grandfather was one of my favorites in the whole family in terms of getting along with anyone, and probably influenced my life more than he knew. Certainly my appreciation for old movies. On the flip-side, my step-father's grandmother was more of a grandmother to me than my fathers' mother, which is a pretty good trick considering she didn't speak English and I don't speak Italian. That's got to say something about "family", but I'm not sure I could articulate it.

dr: I had the chance as a teenager to work with my mom. I had worked for several years before she came on board and it was part of my job to train her to do hers. I saw her fear as a person going back into the work force after her kids were all in school, in a field totally new to her, and I saw her triumph when she felt confident doing the job. It was the most interesting feeling knowing something none of my siblings knew about her, understanding this part of her life in a way that even dad did not. We see each other as not just mom and daughter, but as people, as one time co-workers. To this day we talk to each other with that understanding as part of our history and we are richer for it. Do we ever really know everything about someone else? Indeed do we ever really know everything about ourselves? Maybe that is part of the journey of life, that the knowing, the finding out won't end till our end.

bc: Dads (being a subspecies of men) are tough to communciate with in general. We're tougher to communicate with when we're absent for decades at a time (see mine). I'm not sure what I'd want for a funeral, myself (see what I mean). I've thought a Viking funeral would be kinda cool, make a pyre on a boat, put my body on top of it douse the whole thing in 112 octane CAM2 (racing gas has a very distinctive smell), and push the whole thing out to sea, let everybody shoot flaming arrows at it until it lights (my money is on my brother, who's been a bow hunter for 20+ hear, though I won't discount my wife's high degree of motivation). Knowing my family, they'll dress me in the Darth Vader outfit when they do it, which wil be fine because a: I'm dead, what the hell am I gonna do about it anyway, and b: I get it. Play Joe Satriani's 'Flying in a Blue Dream' really loud as the whole thing burns to the waterline (preferably at sunset - I guess we'll have to do this on a western facing shoreline), serve plenty of good food and drink while everybody talks about a: what a dick I was, and b: the many stupid but amusing things I did.

Curmudgeon: I have instructions in my will (seriously) to have my ashes scattered right behind home plate at the baseball field where I did most of my umpiring. (And it would be even cooler if a local legend grew up that the Curmudgeon's Ghost haunted the field, mysteriously helping the home teams during tournaments against hated rivals, inducing umpires to call the infield fly rule properly, keeping catchers and umps from getting dinged by foul balls, etc.)

See, these are all small thoughts. Should be published in a font visible only to people the size of quarks.

Meanwhile, in our Department of Corrections: I made a comment the other day that drew a flag from Kbertocci:

When Joel says, "Southern Baptist Leadership conference or whatever it's called..." he is exercising his right to eschew research for blog items and I totally support him in that. [Karen, it was just a COMMENT for gosh sakes. All blog "items" are thoroughly researched, fact-checked, copy edited, lawyered and then revised multiple times for clarity and brevity.] It's fine. But I fear that his lack of clarity might be shared by others and I want to say, please don't confuse the Southern Baptist Convention (that's what Carter resigned from) with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which is the organization most closely affiliated with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It's like getting mixed up between the Socialists (Eugene Debs)and the National Socialists (Hitler). Not that I'm comparing ANYBODY to Hitler!! I never do that.

By Joel Achenbach  |  March 2, 2006; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  Best of the Boodle
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Civet Cat Coffee
Next: Look Closely at Bush Katrina-Warning Video

Comments

I am proud to be the first. But I jhave nothing to say. I'm just putting a mark (sub-atomic particle size) on the blank white wall.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 2, 2006 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Comment, blog item, kit, caboodle, all these terms! You are right of course, Joel. I meant to say comment, and we should be able to comment without researching. By definition. It's just a comment.

Posted by: kbertocci | March 2, 2006 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness (and Hal the Schemer) for this minuscule font that covers up my typos.

I had been thinking, for these months that you have mentioned Moveable Type, that you were just making a joke about the evolution of the printing process. I am out of it.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 2, 2006 10:01 AM | Report abuse

...and I say, let's refuse to backspace out those tabs! It's time to take a stand here.

Posted by: kbertocci | March 2, 2006 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, it takes the tabs out automatically. Well, that's nice to know.

Posted by: kbertocci | March 2, 2006 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm a mere kumquat, maybe a gopher apple or dog apple (a real Florida fruit) or squirrel banana (a smaller sort of dog apple, from New Smyrna--in Latin, it's Deeringothamnus).

Posted by: Dave | March 2, 2006 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Aahhh... it was so nice to read those older comments in the older font size. If the "suits" decided to keep the Boodle type teeny, then Joel can just copy and paste the Boodle into the Kit for us.

Thanks Joel!

Posted by: TBG | March 2, 2006 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Getting a wee bit anal, aren't you, Joel? First you want your catcrap coffee. and now your comments are to be eliminated by monkeys?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 2, 2006 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Stop making me click that little "Continue..." link!

Posted by: jw | March 2, 2006 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Great, Joel elevates some of my overly hasty Boodling to Kit-level, and I see a flotilla of SCC entries in the comment he's chosen.

SCC: "will", for cat-crap's sake.

bc

Posted by: bc | March 2, 2006 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I am flattered, in my own small, tiny, miniscule, itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, infinitesimal, dawrf-sived, bantam, diminutive, lilliputian, midget, petite, tiny, bitty, wee, dinky, elfin, gnomish,
pint-sized, minute, microscopic, micro, miniature, minuscule, puny, runty, shrimpy, undersize, limited, humble, lowly, modest, inferior way to have been quoted above, and to be able to comment, here, in an excellent and authoritative 4-point caslon bold italic, said font being designed by William Caslon (the first; there were four of them, all type foundrymen of distinction)(1692-1766)(and all of whom, no doubt, are related to Loomis, but that's another story, and hers to tell, not me, e'en tho' I seem to be channeling her this morning).

You may all return to your lowly humdrum existences now.

Thank you.

(Joel, you'll have to forgive sirin. I think he/she is relatively new to the boodle, and doesn't yet quite understand the social relationships around here, viz. the rabble versus your esteemed blogshipness. These things take time.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 10:24 AM | Report abuse

yada yada yada--but where are the larger font sizes today?

I mean, Joel, if you're lobbying for and may receive 24-point calligraphic font with a medieval, illuminated-by-monks look, then, HELL, at least I want the capability to do rubricated letters and historiated letters on the Boodle.

At your earliest possible conveniece. No "Pretty-please?" from me. And if it won't trouble you too much, I'd like some vellum as well. As we speak, of course. So you and Hall just hop to it. Pronto. Vamanos! Vamanos!

*THERE are several terms associated with manuscripts. These terms have to do with different types of lettering and illustration techniques. A Versal in an enlarged first letter marking the beginning of a section of text. Rubricated letters are letters or words written in red ink for emphasis. Historiated letters are those that are embellished to illustrate a story or convey further meaning about a passage. They could also be Inhabited letters, those containing a human or animal figure, or Zoomorphic letters which are comprised of an animal form. A Miniature is an independent painting or illustration in a manuscript that generally illustrates the text. Miniature derives not from the small size but from the Latin word minum, which is a red pigment used in paint. Illumination refers to manuscript decorations and illustrations in color and with burnished silver or gold.

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon - You forgot "Lilliputian."

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 2, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

*smacks forehead again*

Thanks, Bayou. Always glad to know you've got my back.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It strikes me that big thoughts are not constrained by the size of the print. But I would first need a big thought or two with which to test my theory.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 2, 2006 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm here to serve, Curmudgeon — using my powers only for good and never for evil.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 2, 2006 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Mudge writes:

Yet to be determined: if Caslon is on the family tree. But I'll bet you a stack of pancakes to my bottom dollar, that my relatives were reading works in the Caslon font! And Mudge, you can channel me any ol' time you want--given the distance betwixt us, there's no harm in it.

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 10:34 AM | Report abuse

An interesting tradeoff appears to be occurring here: Smaller font for the Boodle, yet Joel's Kitted - what- 5 times in the past 24 hours or so?

Young Ladies, note the power of Guilt over men.

Ladies of A Certain Age probably already know this, but are too wise to actually say so to our faces. Power is wielded more effectively if certain things remain unspoken.

bc

Posted by: bc | March 2, 2006 10:35 AM | Report abuse

It's there-
"I am flattered, in my own small, tiny, miniscule, itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, infinitesimal, dawrf-sived, bantam, diminutive, lilliputian,.."

PERHAPS THE FREAKIN' FONT WAS JUST SO FREAKIN' SMALL THAT YOU COULDN'T SEE IT!

I personally cannot understand why that would occur, but perhaps it did.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 2, 2006 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Are you calling us rabble?
Joel, I'll set your car on fire.
Then you can doze it with a Kärcher.
(I mean this in the most nice way, even though it sounds very agressive.)

P.S. I must have good eyes because the fontsize doesn't bother me at all.

Anyway, the Boodle is to big to be broken by Hal's evil plans.

Posted by: Eurotrash | March 2, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Bayou Self:

Mudge wrote:

See, this proves our pointillism. The font size is so small and crappy that you can't even tell if Mudge wrote lilliputian--of course, it woulda helped if Mudge had capitalized it like the proper adjective it truly is--Lilliputian! You know, like the proper noun, Vladamir Putin...

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

from "Gulliver Goes to Moscow."

"pointillism" -- that's excellent. In fact, it's fontastic.

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | March 2, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey, thanks for that paragraph, Loomis. I do virtually all my copy editing work in Microsoft Word, using "track changes," so all my corrections are in red. So all my best work is "rubricated." I feel positively Umberto Ecoish! (Dennis Miller-award-winng quality obscure reference to the plotline of "The Name of the Rose," q.v.)

(I just DARE anyone to find this level of erudition on the Raw Fisher blog, or the Howard Stern/College Girls Gone Wild blog!)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Are you aware, Achenblog, that some of your "boodlers" are gone right past 40 and peering dimly at their monitors through dime-store cheaters?

Posted by: Esoth | March 2, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I am developing a method for expressing Boodles in terms of quark properties, arranging quarks in patterns that correspond to words in the Universal language of Esperanto.

This, of course, will restrict me to approximately 6 letters (and I suppose I could include leptons for three numbers), but I'm told that this will not substantially decrease the quality of my Boodling.

bc

Posted by: bc | March 2, 2006 10:49 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt,
How did you do that so fast--find the Boodle under the "Maureen Dowd Samizadat?"

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition, page 675, lists lilliputian as lowercase when used as a generic adjective meaning small, etc. Uppercase is reserved for actual references to the people, etc., in the novel Gulliver's Travels. (But it also says, "adj. often cap") Of course, in other dictionaries, YMMV. But I used it correctly within the confines of the dictionary to hand.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Bayou Self regrets his non-lilliputian error. In fact, he was heard mumbling something along the lines of, "I see, said the blind man ..."

Posted by: Bayou Self's Public Editor | March 2, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

There's no erudition on Raw Fisher (except when Boodlers from here make cameo appearances, of course); those people attack the subjects with such intensity, they don't have the cognitive energy to spare. Every day is like a Rovestorm over there.

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | March 2, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering here, where we asked to give our opinion of the type in relation to it being changed or was that just to push us over the threshold of common decency, and send us screaming and hollering into madness? I really would like an answer, and I know we don't always get what we want, but I'm thinking here someone knows the answer, and just might want to share it? Computers intimadate me anyway, and I'm doing good just to be able to type and post a comment. Of course, as you mention in the kit above, this blog is your journalistic charity, so I suppose I should just be quiet and thankful that I am allowed to speak at all. Thank you, Joel.

Posted by: Cassandra S | March 2, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The old paperback copy of _The Princess Bride_ that I own has all of William Golding's asides in rubicated print. I think it adds a little something, And I always thought it was funny that they bothered with it in a crummy mass-market paperback. Must have kicked the printing cost up a bit.

Posted by: jw | March 2, 2006 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Of course, your overarching point that in the present typeface it was impossible to tell if I used caps or lowercase for lilliputian/Lilliputian is quite correct.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

As far as small fonts go, you just need to hit the "enbiggen" key. Oh, you don't have one?

Posted by: jw | March 2, 2006 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra writes:

The day you take Joel seriously is the day we all....(speechless).

Remember, this Boodle is where rules are made and meant to be broken (well, except for the be-civil-to-each-other and profanity ones). After that, it's just ART! and FUN! and the INCREDIBLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING!

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 10:59 AM | Report abuse

It's just all...well...so...Monty Pythonish!

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 11:00 AM | Report abuse

As long as I'm wearing my glasses (I hate them but contacts put me out faster than reading The Grapes of Wrath does--that sounds awkward...) the font doesn't bother me. Yesterday I couldn't see anything that was in the boodle, though. I couldn't much see the Kit, either. I'm useless without vision correction.

Posted by: Sara | March 2, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The quick brown fox...

Posted by: pete | March 2, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra writes, "...was that just to push us over the threshold of common decency, and send us screaming and hollering into madness?"

Yes, that's exactly my theory, milady. I think Joel is overwhelmingly on our side, but lacking the cumputer expertise to go mano a mano with Hal the Schemer and his ilk, he needed to generate a Rovestorm of font protest.

And as Bush might say, "Mission accomplished."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

On a serious, i.e. off topic, note, at the opening of the John Cleese Best of Python hour last night was a brief statement that John Cleese had died recently. In light of the context and in the absence of any corroboration via web search, I'm taking this as a bit of Cleesian jest (he lied to interviewers and in bios all the time). Anybody know different?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 2, 2006 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I hadn't heard that, and IMDB has him as currently doing voice work for _Shreck 3_.

Posted by: jw | March 2, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

K-guy, I assumed it just referred to the final scene, when he "dies" on camera.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 11:10 AM | Report abuse

At today's WaPo.com:

Librarian Comments on 'Da Vinci' Lawsuit
By MATT LEINGANG
The Associated Press
Wednesday, March 1, 2006; 8:54 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A retired librarian who helped novelist Dan Brown research the mega-selling thriller "The Da Vinci Code" said a lawsuit accusing Brown of stealing ideas from other writers is bogus.

Stan Planton, 58, a retired head librarian at Ohio University-Chillicothe, said that he's puzzled by the court case, which began this week in London.

"In an interview with The Associated Press, he downplayed his role with the book, saying he exchanged e-mails with Brown before publication of "The Da Vinci Code," helping Brown locate information on the lineage of French kings and other minor details....

"The irony of the whole lawsuit is that Dan Brown has made those authors [Baigent and Leigh] rich because publicity around 'The Da Vinci Code' turned their book into a best seller after being on the back shelf of libraries and bookstores for years," Planton said.

Planton said he met Brown in 1998 through a mutual friend who was trying to help Brown answer questions about code-breaking and technical military scientific trivia.

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The continued use of "micro fonts" on this "Achenblog" is an affront all of us who cherish our Freedom of Expression, including our Inalienable Right to Rant using Helvetica, Courier, or Times New Roman. We must stop the tyranny of blog "authors" who enjoy whatever fonts they desire, while forcing commenters to fumble with unbearably tiny fonts that wreck havoc on their eyes, causing unimaginable stress and physcic misery, like tossing bones to the peasants. Is this the product of the Diabolical "Mastermind" Debra Howell? Or, has the "Achenblog" been finally infiltrated and usurped by the Republican National Committee for its own nefarious and evil purposes?

Commenters, don't take this Sitting Down! Stand up for Your Rights! Storm the Gates of the Achenblog. We demand Larger Fonts TODAY. Or we'll....uh, do something.

Posted by: MadCow | March 2, 2006 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Cleese also claimed the interview was being done in France. I think they were just pulling your leg, kguy.

By the way, he seems preetly lively here, where The Ministry of Silly Names knighted me as Lord Alexander Philbrook MD ...

Posted by: Bayou Self's Public Editor | March 2, 2006 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of John Cleese, have you been to thejohncleese.com and done the silly walk? You can make him walk like Michael Jackson. And upon arriving you're assigned a silly name. I'm "Her Grace Arturo Conlon." You can also access his video rants. Good times.

Posted by: Sara | March 2, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Ha! Great Minds, Bayou.

Wow, it took me three minutes to type that? I think because I had to go back and get a new silly name because I couldn't remember my first one.

Posted by: Sara | March 2, 2006 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Loomis,

I have mad Googling® skilz. Your comment is on the number hit for "Achenblog civet coffee". Once in the boodle, I use the Firefox "Find In This Page" command.

My own blog is the number one hit for "Ted Forth" and "alligator mouth".

Posted by: yellojkt | March 2, 2006 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Like I said, I assumed it was a put on, but people "of a certain age" do up and die from time to time. I'm AKA "Dall Coffing".

Does anyone other than me say "up and die"? It's one of my East Texas grandmother's phrases, like "take and (do so and so)" "fixin' to (do something". Part of a larger language fascination of mine dealing with things like "burn up" vs "burn down".

Posted by: kurosawaguy | March 2, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

bc, while you’re working on your theories regarding the quark-like properties of the boodle and its subatomic font, I wonder if you shouldn’t also incorporate aspects of the Heisenberg Principle of Boodle Uncertainty into it, to whit (and paraphrasing here slightly), “One may read the boodle, or one may post a comment to the boodle, but one may never do both simultaneously.” To fail to take this principle into account, I believe, results in our often-remarked phenomenon, which we have dubbed BOOO—the infamous “boodle out of order” disorder.

I would buttress this supposition with a quote from the great man himself:

“The more I think about the physical portion of Schrödinger's theory, the more repulsive I find it...What Schrödinger writes about the visualizability of his theory 'is probably not quite right,' in other words it's crap.”
--Heisenberg, writing to Pauli, 1926

(Werner Heisenberg, 1901-1976. The above reference to Schrödinger, of course, refers to the famous dispute between Heisenberg and Erwin “Crazylegs” Schrödinger over whether the matrix mechanics model (Heisenberg, et al.) was superior to the wave mechanics model for quantum theory. Also, the two men often traded insults over whether coffee made from Schrödinger’s cat’s poop was superior to Mrs. Folger’s Decafe. But that’s another story.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Sara - We're all a bit discombobulated here today.

k-guy - 'Round here, we also say y'all a fair amount of the time. A limp is a hitch in your gitalong. And a number of folks are in the awl bidness.

Posted by: Bayou Self | March 2, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

New kit! Jeez, the man's one kit-writin' fool today.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | March 2, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

To be included in this rabble is a serious honour.

Also, I just want to say thanks once again, for services provided to our military. Our forces were involved in an incident in Afghanistan, and the soldeirs who needed are being treated by your very fine medicos in Germany. So thanks.

Posted by: dr | March 2, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I bow to your lilliputian mind and your dictionary.

Jus to throw in my last 20 cents' worth before I move on to my day...

If Joel ever gives us the Book of Kells in the Kit, I'll fall over dead.

Mind you, this is all in mental and physical preparation for the upcoming St. Paddy's day, when green beer [thanks for the reminder, omni] flows like the River Shannon (Is there a River Shannon?) and people run around and say "Kiss me, you fool." At least in San Antonio, where our local river, that runs through it, is died green for the day.

Posted by: Loomis | March 2, 2006 11:49 AM | Report abuse

WOW...The protest worked!!!

Posted by: Achenbach | March 2, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Let that be a lesson to us all, and let me be the first to bring out the Margaret Mead quote:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

--Margaret Mead

Posted by: kbertocci | March 2, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The protest worked... does that mean we get the old font size back?

Posted by: Sirin | March 2, 2006 12:25 PM | Report abuse

jeez luez! give a girl with a code (thanx again lindaloo) a chance to catch up with at least ONE FREAKIN BOODLE! my comments got so buried in several boodles ago that - well - i feel lost is all... and i'm going BLIND! and i'm an IT geek who's fairly young so don't blame my type for this fiasco cuz i can't see the darn font either! *sheesh*
joel - i am crushed - u have crushed my spirit...

Posted by: mo | March 2, 2006 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, late to tune into the boodle and find I'm in the Kit!

I'm honored, and slightly freaked. I don't know if it's a compliment to my writing or Joel just wanted an example of one really whacked family. I suspect the latter. :-)

Posted by: Error Flynn | March 2, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the Copenhagen Conflagration...

I've thought about Heisenberg Uncertianty in regards to BOOOs previously, but couldn't decide if it was really a problem or not.

Another problem floats out into the Higgs Ocean; we'll see where the wave collapses.

bc

bc

Posted by: bc | March 2, 2006 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Damn! Bring back the Incredible Shrinking Fonts! Although miniturization didn't work out to well for the late Charles Crumb. But wouldn't it be fun to incrementally, almost imperceptibly reduce the size of the fonts, until we are all like Werner Herzog, scratching tiny marks in his notebook while shooting with and at Klaus Kinski in the jungle? Worth doing, I think.

Posted by: Esoth | March 2, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

NACHOAVERAGE NATCHOMAMA

Posted by: Cheesehead | March 2, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

not to mention
ARTXY FRTXY RD
JW-ANNA DANCE W ME MAMA ALL NIGHT LONG

Posted by: Cheesehead | March 2, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

and all (backspace) those of you (backspace) who were (backspace) not mentioned (backspace), as well

Posted by: Cheesehead | March 2, 2006 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this is kind of a good early April Fools joke by Hal and the Schemers (is that a rock band name already?)--make the font small, then wait until we've all typed our little tiny complaints for a couple of days, then with the click of a mouse make the font big again, so that our complaints all appear nonsensical to subsequent readers. Small font? What small font? What are these people ranting about?

Posted by: kbertocci | March 2, 2006 2:33 PM | Report abuse

3 cheers to freedom of speech and majority rules! It is so nice to end my day being able to read the boodle without a magnifying glass. And Joel used 3 exclamation points in his 11:59 AM comment...now that's impressive.

Posted by: FF | March 2, 2006 10:39 PM | Report abuse

All this discussion about changing the font or the size reminds me of a so-called "contest" on a radio station that was going to change format. The promo posed the question, "What kind of a station shall it be? Let us know." So plain old listeners, hungry for some recognition, deluged the station with format preferences. And guess what? The station went country anyway. Because that was their plan all the way along. In this case, I don't think there's going to be a font or type size change. If so, it's already been planned. :)

Posted by: samtheoldaccordianman | March 3, 2006 3:29 AM | Report abuse