Standard Time At Last

That extra hour this morning: priceless. We'll pay for it later today, when the afternoon is truncated brutally. But the failure of the sun to come up at a reasonable hour in recent weeks had become irritating. I don' t mind dressing in the dark in the morning, since that gives me a good fashion excuse later in the day. And I like having my coffee already prepared at the first glimmer of dawn, so I can greet the day, and remonstrate the sun for being such a layabout. Beat the sun to the punch and you feel good about yourself. But in recent weeks I had been trying to rouse the kids in total darkness, and I felt I needed the additional authority of solar energy, some evidence that it was truly morning and I was not a deranged lunatic barking at them in the middle of the night.

My one regret this morning was that I failed to go back to sleep. I didn't take full advantage of the switch to Standard Time. I had the feeling I get whenever I stay at a hotel and forget to use the ice bucket.

Now, a little background on the Daylight Savings Time, courtesy Why Things Are:

'The whole point is to shift light from morning to evening, because it gets light so early in the summer months. We don't need it to be light at 5 in the morning unless we are farmers. Farmers don't like DST much. Daylight saving time originated in England in World War I as a way of saving electricity in the evening. For the same reason we adopted the time system in America in 1918. Daylight saving time has steadily expanded since. The Daylight Saving Time Coalition, which represents softball associations, the charcoal industry, people with night blindness and so on, is trying to get Congress to start daylight saving time in March rather than the first Sunday in April.

'What would happen if we didn't "save" all that daylight? Hell on Earth, basically: In Washington, D.C., just to take a city randomly out of the atlas, the sun would rise at 4:43 a.m. on the 21st of June, according to astronomer Leroy Doggett of the U.S. Naval Observatory. That means that "civil twilight," when it's light enough to do outdoor activities, would begin at about 4:11 a.m., when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon. The first light in the East would appear about half an hour before that.'

(That last line refers to the start of what's known as "nautical twilight," though astronomers, I believe, have yet another layer of twilight, prior to nautical twilight: astronomical twilight. That begins about 90 minutes or so before the sun breaks the horizon. See more here.)

At the New Yorker website there's a good Remnick Q&A with Obama, who sounds way too sensible and self-aware to be a politician:

Obama: ... we tend to think about politics in terms of individual ambition, and most of us who get there--I write in the book that, no matter what people say, there's some level of megalomania involved in getting to the United States Senate.

Remnick: Which you plead guilty to.

Obama: Absolutely. Because you start off presuming that somehow you can represent your state better than anybody there, and put yourself through and your family through all kinds of misery to get there. So I think [Robert Byrd's] advice more broadly is advice I try to take to heart, and that is to make sure that, whatever it is that I do, that I'm not solely driven by what's inside me, and what I'm driven by, but also by what the country needs, and what institutions need, and you have to be respectful of those institutions.

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 30, 2006; 6:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vote For Me!
Next: Hacking Amazon to Save the World

Comments

I took advantage of DST to post first (I hope).

Posted by: byoolin | October 30, 2006 12:16 PM | Report abuse

...and it was curiously unsatisfying. Kind of like the effect of going from a location that observes DST into one that doesn't, like in some places in Indiana. (Of course, that could have just been the effect of being in Indiana. More research needs to be done.)

Posted by: byoolin | October 30, 2006 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Daylight savings time is a crepuscular theory.

I have been waiting months to use that word on the boodle. I LOVE that word. Thank you Joel.

Posted by: dr | October 30, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Sure, getting up in the daylight is nice, but now I have to take the dog for a walk in the dark. My dog evidently sees lots of scary things in the dark. Since every shadow could be a puppy-eating monster, she evidently feels it prudent to bark at them all.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

RD, that's what I was hoping for -- a debate. Morning vs. evening. Where do we need the light.

Posted by: Achenbach | October 30, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

This year was a big one for me DST-wise.

I drove back to DC from Gainesville yesterday morning, and picked up an hour *just like that* [bc snaps fingers].

My big problems with hotel ice buckets are that:

a: they typically only hold about three cans of beer covered with ice, though you *can* wedge 4 in there reasonably well to keep things cold for awhile. This, of course, leaves one for each hand.

b: in the event of the complete consumption of a: (and an assortment of mixed drinks at the hotel bar, resulting in the loss of higher motor skills and some degree of rational thinking) the ice buckets are just too tall for effective use as bedpans, even with the "edge of the bed" trick.

My friends say the hotel room sink is much better for both, since the operation of doors is not required.

Yes, I *was* just in Gainesville, thank you for asking.

bc

P.S. Joel, there were a lot of unhappy-looking folks driving cars with red and black bumper stickers and Georgia plates heading north out of Jacksonville yesterday morning. I gave a couple of 'em a honk and a wave for ya.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 30, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

My vote is for: Morning.

When it's cold out, it is *so hard* to drag yourself out of nice toasty flannel-sheeted bedin the first place. When it's also DARK? Fuhgeddaboutit.

We do need the light in both the morning and the evening, of course. But if we have to choose, I choose morning.

The most prudent course of action is just to go someplace else when winter comes. Australia, maybe. It's summer there now, right?

Posted by: annie | October 30, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

We could all just go live in the tropics: the day length doesn't vary all that much from one time of year to another. Additional pluses: no snow to shovel, no winter heating bills, great beaches and good beer. I liked rural Jamaica a lot (*not* the big resorts), though yesterday's feature on Antigua made it look pretty good too.

But if I have to stay here for the winter, I guess I'd want that light in the morning, too. Though give it some time, and it'll be just as dark at 6:00am as it was last week.

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I wish they would keep DST all year round.

I'm on record (is this a record?) as actually enjoying getting to work before the dawn. Driving to work in the dark isn't that tricky since you usually know kinda where you are going. And getting my teenager up will always require the occasional use of an air-horn.

I really hate it to lose the evening to the dark. I worry more when my wife and daughter walk places. Soon my son will be driving, and I want him to have as much light as possible.

When the time changes, I have less daylight to get the yardwork done. When I have to drive to unfamiliar places, it is much easier to get lost.

And the dog really does get scared more easily.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 1:12 PM | Report abuse

My vote is for morning, my children got themselves out of bed this morning without me asking, it won't last but it was beautiful. A month from now it will be dark in the morning again, and I will have to wake them repeatedly, and when we get home in the evening it will again be dark.

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

One way to check the new time: your VCR should be blinking on 11:00.

Posted by: superfrenchie | October 30, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I hate going to work in dark and coming back in dark. I'd rather get up early morning, but alas, my body clock no longer cooperates with that idea.

If they would ONLY put those tv programs on earlier in the winter, we'd all go to bed on time and hibernate our 12 hours before getting up in the dark again. I think I need to part ways with Boston Legal and catch it on reruns 20 years from now or something. Too bad.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

As I noted earlier, I have been eagerly awaiting the time change. In south Florida the length of the days doesn't change so dramatically but it had gotten gradually darker and darker on my morning ride to work, and today I felt like it was a whole new world out there: it was already light when I left the house at 6:20. Beautiful light gray sky with a nice variety of clouds, in shades of gray and white. By the time I got to work it was daytime, fresh blue skies and a light breeze. I always vote for morning, no matter what. Early to bed, early to rise, and all that.

dr: Once, at a national park campfire talk, I won a prize for being the only person in the audience who knew the meaning of the word "crepuscular." High five! (The prize was a calendar.)

Posted by: kbertocci | October 30, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

No wonder I'm so confused, turn the clocks the wrong way!

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 1:40 PM | Report abuse

kbert;

Was it a crepuscular calendar?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

scc I sould have written, I turned the clocks the wrong way. Although that's not exactly correct either. I twiddled the doohickeys on the back. I'll have to untwiddle 'em twice.

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It's often been mentioned that I'm conspicuously crepuscular m'self.

But the Monty Python sketch simply wouldn't have been the same with Inspector Crepuscular.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Farmers and DST

I have never understood why farmers are involved in the discussion of daylight savings time. Of all of the professions I can think of, farmering is the one that seems least tied to the clock. If the cows are milked at 6:30 last week, just milk them at 7:30 this week. I've never understood how the farmers figure into this.

Posted by: Josey | October 30, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Annie, I was surprised to see you over at Raw Fishers' blog. Thanks for your contribution, I do rather agree. But it's not the time to assign blame, but to fix the problems in the system. If that requires oversight, so be it.

How harsh to hear potential employers saying "yo, because some 18-20 years old bungled a protest and I buy into the PR machine, I will now consider all Gallaudet alumni persona non grata, never mind the law and the concept of fair hiring?"

I knew that people would be thinking it anyway. It was my major worry from May onwards, especially with the crappy job the Washington Post has done about reporting on this protest.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

But the dairy truck comes by to pick up the milk at 7:30 AM summer and winter, Josey.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"The Daylight Saving Time Coalition, which represents softball associations, the charcoal industry, people with night blindness and so on, is trying to get Congress to start daylight saving time in March rather than the first Sunday in April." And, of course, they got their wish. Next year DST starts the last Sunday in March, and ends the first Sunday in November.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 30, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Next year DST starts March 11 -- 2nd Sunday in March.

Posted by: nellie | October 30, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I am exhausted. Hoofing it up to the Capitol, back down Congress Avenue to the Paramount Theater to hear Vidal and Dowd, back up to the Capitol, plus Sunday's driving.

On Obama, Dowd said that thanks to Colin Powell, Americans had wrapped their minds around the idea of voting for an African-American for president--hence the easy acceptance of Obama. Not yet the case for voting for a woman for president, she added, and talked of the need, in voters' minds, of a manly woman candidate, and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Dowd sashayed to the 91-year-old stage in Texas gear--brand-new white cowboy boots she'd purchased in town, in a grey, sleeveless dress--gathered skirt with a white flounce below the knees and trimmed with slightly fraying ruffles on her deep, above-the-bosom circular yoke and encircling the bodice. Around her neck lay a single strand of pink pearls. Lovely.

The 81-year-old Vidal was rolled onto the stage in a wheelchair--physically frail, but mentally as sharp as a mesquite thorn, with razor-edged wit.

Obama's popularity:

AUSTIN -- Sunshine, blue skies and readings by more than 180 authors brought out the bibliophiles to the 11th Texas Book Festival at the state Capitol building and grounds.

The literary mix included politics, fiction, food, Texas history, current events and children's works.

Although the festival officially kicked off at 10 a.m. with the presentation of Bookend Awards to children's author Louis Sachar ("Holes") and to Texas Monthly magazine, the event actually started 5½ hours earlier.

That's when people began lining up to secure one of the 450 blue wristbands that would allow them to enter the House chamber to listen to U.S. Sen. Barack Obama discuss his book, "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream."

The release of the junior senator from Illinois' book, which is currently No. 2 on the New York Times hardcover nonfiction list, and his campaigning for fellow Democrats for the upcoming election has neatly segued. He was received by the festival audience with rock star-like enthusiasm and they punctuated his talk with clapping and whoops
***

The 1,300-seat Paramount Theater was filled to capacity for the Dowd and Vidal conversation, the cavernous space punctuated often with peals of laughter.

Posted by: Loomis | October 30, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

We should have daylight in the morning, so everyone can get out of bed with a cheery demeanor, exercise vigorously, and have plenty of time left to get to work and school. We should have daylight in the evening, to play outside, catch up on yard work, feed the dogs without getting bitten, and get in that vigorous exercised we postponed in the morning. We should have profound darkness from 9:30 p.m. until 5:45 a.m., so everyone can sleep.

As it is, I was reduced, before this weekend, to opening the windows wide and throwing off covers to get the family out of bed. I've promised not to do this if the morning temperature is much below 30 degrees (fahrenheit). I can't say it promotes a cheery demeanor other than my own, but it is effective.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 30, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Not only do I favor year-round DST, I would like to see a uniform American Time Zone. I mean, it would only require a shift of an additional half-hour on each coast from what we do know. Put us on nationwide central DST. Then maybe my mother in Seattle will stop calling me at 1 AM.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 2:07 PM | Report abuse

SCC: do now. See? It's the timeshift, man. It's, like, not natural.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, you are welcome to use my last resort technique, allow the dog into the kids rooms to lick them awake, the more they fight waking up the more the dog thinks they are playing - you get the idea.

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The switch from EDT to EST was a mere blip compared to switching from Tokyo to EDT on Friday. Loooong Friday!

DST was kinda weird when I was in Portland, because Hawaii changed seasonally from 3 hours away to 2 hours. When they were 3 hours, we could claim that Portland was centrally located in the US, timewise (then there's Guam and Puerto Rico).

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | October 30, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, kbertocchi, but you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?

Dowd referred to the Jeff Stein NYT op-ed in her talk yesterday. It's Times Select , but I'll provide a few grafs:

By JEFF STEIN
Published: October 17, 2006

FOR the past several months, I've been wrapping up lengthy interviews with Washington counterterrorism officials with a fundamental question: ''Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?''

A ''gotcha'' question? Perhaps. But if knowing your enemy is the most basic rule of war, I don't think it's out of bounds. And as I quickly explain to my subjects, I'm not looking for theological explanations, just the basics: Who's on what side today, and what does each want?

After all, wouldn't British counterterrorism officials responsible for Northern Ireland know the difference between Catholics and Protestants? In a remotely similar but far more lethal vein, the 1,400-year Sunni-Shiite rivalry is playing out in the streets of Baghdad, raising the specter of a breakup of Iraq into antagonistic states, one backed by Shiite Iran and the other by Saudi Arabia and other Sunni states. ...

Did she think that it was important, I asked, for members of Congress charged with oversight of the intelligence agencies, to know the answer to such questions, so they can cut through officials' puffery when they came up to the Hill?

''Oh, I think it's very important,'' said Ms. Davis, ''because Al Qaeda's whole reason for being is based on their beliefs. And you've got to understand, and to know your enemy.''

It's not all so grimly humorous. Some agency officials and members of Congress have easily handled my ''gotcha'' question. But as I keep asking it around Capitol Hill and the agencies, I get more and more blank stares. Too many officials in charge of the war on terrorism just don't care to learn much, if anything, about the enemy we're fighting. And that's enough to keep anybody up at night.

Jeff Stein is the national security editor at Congressional Quarterly.

Posted by: Loomis | October 30, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I vote for more sun in the morning. The sky reports are more colorful that way.

Posted by: Pat | October 30, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Or you could use my last resort technique, waltz into the sleepy offender's room singing something cheery like 'You are my Sunshine' or "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" (It is important to sing these loudly, and operatically). A second choice, rush in a shout Happy New Day. The last is particularly heinous, or so I am told. The young gents did not like these at all, but when they left my abode to live on their own, they went joyfully.

You have to plan your launching strategy early.

Posted by: dr | October 30, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Wilbrod -- as you might imagine, it was my connection with you that made me want to follow the Gallaudet story in the first place. I didn't read the human resources person's comment as being "not gonna hire any more Gally grads" but rather just that the market value of a Gally diploma has dropped. Sadly enough, I suspect she's right.

I follow the goings-on at William & Mary for just that reason, to ensure that my single biggest asset retains its value.

In a sense, though, the whole underlying assumption of that argument -- that the only purpose of education is to prepare you for the job market and "the real world" -- bothered me in the Gallaudet discussion. Even more than *what* you learn, in my opinion, the importance of college is that it helps you learn *how* to think. Plus most 18-year-olds are too mature to need their parents' ongoing supervision, but not nearly mature enough to live independently. There are always exceptions, obviously. But as a normative experience, having four years to stick your wings out of the nest before you're shoved out altogether is a valuable thing.

And you were right, there are plenty of hearing students who are going through regular colleges on the six-year plan. But a graduation rate of only 40%? That really was a shocker.

Posted by: annie | October 30, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Pat,
At first light here in San Antone, a heavenly artist dipped her paintbrush into the middle of ripe, fresh, fragrant oranges, apricots, and lemons and drew her brush in broad strokes across the bands of clouds that sat from one end to the other on the eastern horizon. The sun rose like a giant cantaloupe above this delicious tropical palette.

Posted by: Loomis | October 30, 2006 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I hate the transition from standard time to daylight time. Just keep it on one or the other, is that too much to ask? I like this, from the definition of astronomical twilight, referring to the sun being 18 degrees below the horizon:
"sky illumination is so faint that it is practically imperceptible"
That's often the way it is here in the great Pacific NW anyway, even when the sun is well above the horizon.

Oh, and I vote for dark in the morning, so I can sleep better.

Sky report from yesterday - an eagle was soaring high in the sky, gliding fast on the currents in the air.

Posted by: mostlylurking | October 30, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

HOLA, LOOMIS -- thought of you over the weekend. One of the magazines I take is called "The Week." It is a round-up, in digestible size, of news and opinion from all over the world. There was an excerpt from an article in the LA Times re the Black Dahlia. It ran through the various theories that have been pursued about the crime in the 60+ years since it happened. The latest, and apparently most plausible, one is being offered by some guy whose name escapes me at the moment that HIS OWN FATHER murdered Elizabeth Short and a lot of other women besides.

Either he's really suffering guilt for being the son of a man he believes to be a serial killer, or else he is a publicity hound to a pathological degree.

Posted by: annie | October 30, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, can't do the dog-waking-up thing. Our three black labs are not allowed in the house at all. The two younger dogs have internalized this very well, and shoule we have to bring them outside through the house for some reason we must drag or carry them. The eldest is incorrigible and would happily run around breaking things -- which is one reason they don't come in.

I do regularly sing "morning" songs, from old standards mentioning mornings to patriotic songs to the thing my dad woke up to in the Army. I also have pithy sayings, passed on from my folks, like "the cows are in the corn", "the frost is on the pumpkin", etc. Apparently these are worst of all.

Really, I have trouble figuring out when I'd like more daylight best. Since I wake up when the sun does, too early is painful, but it is nice to have those bright mornings. It is also nice, though, to be able to play outside after getting home from work. Hmmm.

RD, why do you want to deprive your mother of her little pleasures?

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 30, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"We should have daylight in the morning, so everyone can get out of bed with a cheery demeanor..."

Nothing is likely to get me out of bed with a cheery demeanor, regardless of the amount of sunlight. Anything that does make me cheerful in the morning will generally include NOT getting out of bed...

Posted by: Dooley | October 30, 2006 2:47 PM | Report abuse

dr, I am laughing, you singing technique is the method my husband employs, You are my sunshine is most common. Keep in mind he is very perky, annoyingly so in the morning, and tone deaf. They get up but they are not happy.

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I vote for light in the afternoon. In the morning, all we do anyway is get up and go to work/school. But the afternoon/evening hours are ours.

Evening light is excellent for walking three silly dogs; I can see the coyotes as they approach and move my pack away.

#1 is a beginning driver; my heart is more at peace when she is driving if it is not pitch black.

Because I am disorganized, I usually have to shop for dinner supplies on the way home from work; in the dark, it all feels like too much trouble and I just want to head home and burrow in.

The roads become icy when the sun goes down; when twilight falls before the rush hour ends the potential for accident is greater.

Decorating the yard for Halloween is easier with some daylight.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

ANNIE!
That's Steve Hodel, about whom and the Black Dahlia case I Boodled endlessly--to the point that Bob S. thought that I was going off the deep end! Time Warner bought the movie rights to Hodel's book.

You can Google "Achenbach Steve Hodel" and you're certain to find my previous posts.

Since writing about Hodel, I have seen a coffe-table book titled something to the effect of "Elizabeth Short and the Surrealists," but have not stopped to open and peruse it. Artist Man Ray, friend of Steve Hodel's father, Dr. Hodel, returned to Europe from Los Angeles at the time Dr. Hodel was under increasing police scrutiny and on trial. I believe that Steve Hodel mentions in his book that Man Ray hobnobbed in a European social circle that included Ezra Loomis Pound.

Posted by: Loomis | October 30, 2006 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually Ivansmom, she only did it once. But the memory haunts me still.

Perhaps I am just more sensitive to distruptions in my circadian rhythm than are some. In the book "Pattern Recognition" William Gibson presents the view that the human soul gets confused when we travel. Whenever I have to visit the West Coast the resulting jet lag makes me wonder if he is correct.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, RD. Being indoors all day necessitates exposure to the Sun in the evening. Rationalizing why one should play instead of doing chores, however, is another matter.

Posted by: jack | October 30, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

jack;

Play is the most important chore, no?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

My dog soesn't understand EST vs EDT any better than he understands weekdays vs weekends. It takes a good week to get his morning walk alarm readjusted every six months.

The lengthening of DST means that outdoor soccer season will now creep past Halloween. That is just cruel. Mostly to parents.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

My dog doesn't understand EST vs EDT any better than he understands weekdays vs weekends. It takes a good week to get his morning walk alarm readjusted every six months.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What about the dogs? And all the other 4-footed creatures we adopt? My poor dog goes through weeks of confusion twice a year not understanding why she is not being fed at precisely 5:30 PM. Doesn't anybody care about the dogs? Woof?

Posted by: Random Comenter | October 30, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I hear you yellojkt!

Posted by: Random Commenter | October 30, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

My cats refuse to get out of the bed no matter what time it is.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 3:34 PM | Report abuse

As I write this I am experiencing another weird effect of going off DST. Part of my mind is screaming that quitting time has come and gone. I have a sense of anxiety that I will be getting home late that looking at the clock does not totally quell. The panic of temporal disorientation torments me.

Or maybe It's just too much green tea.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Annie, I myself graduated in 4 years flat, I couldn't bear being there any longer even if I really did want that second major. William and Mary! Good college-- got a relative with that sorta sheepskin ;).

I actually applied but didn't quite make it. I opted not to transfer there after all because of the extreme social deprivation and lack of support services I would have had. It sucks to have to make that kind of decision, but that's life.

After a while, lifetime accomplishment should count for a lot more than the college attended. I certainly will have to get a grad degree from somewhere jazzy if that's still important even 10-plus years out of college.

But then again, look at Bill Gates, that stinking dropout... ;).

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

dbG,

Yes, I am in the IT business. And now must return to work!

Posted by: Random Commenter | October 30, 2006 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I think we should add the extra hour to the middle of the afternoon. That way, we'd have more time to fix dinner (or to sit on the couch reading and get in an extra chapter or two while not fixing dinner).

Do we have term for posting to the old kit? Is it a post post? Anyway, I proposd next Wed, Nov 8, for our next BPH. We can celebrate the Revolution.

Posted by: TBG | October 30, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

There was a woman in our village gas station on Sunday morning who so resembled Maureen Dowd I mentioned it to her. She gave a little shake of her head and a smile indicating she didn't recognise the name, so I said,"it's a good thing" and scuttled out the door.
My fantasy would to be adopted by Molly Ivins and to marry Ms. Dowd.
They'd give me one look and say, "You got that backwards bub"
I'm a silly old f**t

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Seconded, TBG.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Boko, just went back to the previous boodle and saw your last posts, thank you very helpful. We are lucky that our house was built by a good builder but just before the building code was revamped - no critical fixes (or so the building inspector assured me) just improvements.

Are you a building inspector?

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, thinking that the next BPH is one I should probably skip.

Posted by: annie | October 30, 2006 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I just went back to the previous boodle to pick up comments I hadn't read. annie, the US is more likely to annex Canada for oil than for a parking lot.

And I think I might live in a monster house, if being in an entirely charmless neighbourhood with no trees in a big house that is devoid of any architectural merit qualifies.

I'm sorry.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2006 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I will grant you Calgary dispensation, trees being few and far between. Besides other than a few forts and HBC stores not a lot was there before 1950.

I will stop being a nasty easterner now.
:-)

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I *think* I can do Nov. 8th.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 30, 2006 4:33 PM | Report abuse

dmd- no, I'm a retired real property assessor who's discovered that I'm more than a year younger than Ms. Dowd. Reassessing my chances with her I find a .0000000001% increase in the probablity of my happiness. Joy!

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I somehow managed to escape from William and Mary with a degree, though it took me seven years to do so. I was the poster child for not going straight to college from high school. Of course, this was back when the drinking age was 18, so that might have had a small something to do with it.

I've never thought about it, but I'm not sure I'd call my degree 'my biggest asset.' It probably ranks above my charm and good looks, but below my ruthless cunning. Seriously, no one has ever really cared where I went to college, other than to say something like, "Oh, W&M, that's a good school." It certainly never got me a job or a raise.

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, you can redeem yourself if that house is extremely energy efficient, if you drive a energy efficient vehicle, and if you recycle and reuse like a madman.

But then again, you get major points since you are involved in dog rescue. That counts.

Posted by: dr | October 30, 2006 4:47 PM | Report abuse

What I thought. Can you put "ruthless cunning" on a resume, though?

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Something's been bothering me:

Is it possible that the US could annex Canada for its poutine?

Has anyone up there determined if there is oil under the poutine outcroppings up there?

Could this affect the Royal Canadian National Poutine Strategic reserves (aka the Barrelies)?

And the plans for the Poutine Pipeline across Canada?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Gosh, a side effect of the time change: I'm feelin' rather peckish at the moment (4:50 PM EST). Nay, famished.

Can you tell?

bc

Posted by: bc | October 30, 2006 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Ohmigod. The suns setting already! Is the earth turning faster?

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Please ignore the second "up there" in my third sentence.

I don't think well when I'm hungry.
Or when I'm not, I suppose.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 30, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

i'm NOT a morning person so i like it dark in the am - but i also kinda like driving home from work in the dark - makes me feel like i was really working hard...

i graduated from Weingarten's NYU - i THINK it's why i have gotten some jobs...

posting the photo of the coffee klatch on the left coast per request:

Posted by: mo | October 30, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I'm afraid I have to vote against the extra hour in the afternoon. I already work 10 hours a day and if you put it in the evening, I'm just going to end up working through that too. Could we add that daily hour to the weekend instead? That way, I could have 5 extra hours when I am at home.

Posted by: dr | October 30, 2006 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Could be, Boko. I *am* feeling lightheaded myself. I'm going to jump here in a second and see if I hit the ceiling.

Please stand by.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 30, 2006 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Ow!

I whacked a sprinkler with my head.

On that jump I could see that the guy in the next cube over is checking his NFL fantasy league, and the lady in the cube diagonal from me is wearing a lacy red bra.

I think I'm going to like the faster rotation; I can see for cubes and cubes...

bc

Posted by: bc | October 30, 2006 5:02 PM | Report abuse

annie - come to the bph - you can wallow in misery! *evil grin*
hey, we agree to disagree right? if you and I can be friends with our opposite political/religious beliefs then anything is possible!

Posted by: mo | October 30, 2006 5:05 PM | Report abuse

bc, the only thing under a poutine outcropping is a belt. Hopefully. Anything more and I do not want to know.

Posted by: dr | October 30, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, the transcanada Poutine Pipeline project is on hold.

There is a dispute between Quebec and Ontario over the colour of the cheese curds, as the Quebec farmers' union insists that yellow curds could be mistaken for actual food-grade material, which poutine curds clearly are not.

Alberta is protesting two aspects of the project. First, the energy industry is outraged that heavy oil should be used as gravy rather than an energy source as it is defined under the NAFTA. Secondly, most Albertans cannot (or will not) pronounce "poutine." The Provincial Conservative Party has introduced a motion in the legislature that the dish should, henceforth, be referred to as "Fries with Cheese Curds and Gravy from Kewbeck (tm)." The Liberal Government of Quebec immediately filed an appeal in the Supreme Court of Canada under the Official Languages Act.

Ontario is denying transit over its territory for any pipeline which originates in Quebec and terminates in Western Canada, as Toronto is the centre of the universe, and the pipeline must therefore both originate and terminate in Nathan Phillips Square (and must be known as the "World Class Pipeline Celebrating the Diversity of Canada's Most Vibrant City").

Finally, regulatory approvals for pipeline maintenance plans are being withheld at both the federal and provincial levels. The smart pigs called for are too intelligent to risk their health consuming poutine residue.

In short, it's business as usual in Canada!

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2006 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Loomis, that sky report, perhaps was made in jest, but I found it to be beautiful, and frankly, I was shocked that you did a sky report, but I also smiled, a lot.

Posted by: Cassandra S | October 30, 2006 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, its a darn good thing that my grapefruit juice was unopened and therefore could only splash against the lid rather than on my keyboard, and lap. Bravo.

Posted by: dr | October 30, 2006 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Very funny, Yoki!

Posted by: annie | October 30, 2006 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Yoki- ROTFL

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 5:49 PM | Report abuse

No, Cassandra, not in jest. Literary, but not in jest. The sky was filled with intense oranges and other warm hues this morning. Sunday in Austin was fantastic weather--Texas' best days are in autumn and spring!

Actually today's description was my third sky report: the first one, a grey flannel sky with a riot of color near the ground, courtesy of the flowers in our backyard; the second, I sang the praises of Persian turquiose.

Posted by: Loomis | October 30, 2006 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Cooling my heels for a while after hours wating for the council meeting to begin. My lovely wife is bringing me sustenance since it is unclear when I will actually be able to depart these premises. Yoki, that was a stitch! I dated a woman who was Canadian and while she talked the good talk about home, she would occasionally let slip something akin to what you wrote. Still, I've enjoyed Canada every time I've visted there. Hope to get back to Toronto again, and also want to get to BC.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 30, 2006 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, thanks for that important update. I saw a plate of poutine in a recent issue of National Geographic Explorer. Leave it to the photographers at National Geographic to make such a dish totally appealing. Now I'm hungry.

Posted by: CowTown | October 30, 2006 6:00 PM | Report abuse

*rattling a sabre*

If Canada can't get its act together and complete the poutine pipeline, complete with the cross-border shunt, I will be 100% behind a US Government decision to invade Canada in order to secure the strategically vital poutine reserves.

Anything to feed my new-found poutine addiction.

Posted by: Dooley | October 30, 2006 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod wrote:

"Can you put "ruthless cunning" on a resume, though?"

I think that depends on the job, eh? I suspect some employers might see it as an asset. I'm not sure about my current job. They probably regard my Labrador-like loyalty and my willingness to work many hours of unpaid overtime as my best assets. (I am "exempt" from having a life, to paraphrase an old Dilbert.)

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 6:03 PM | Report abuse

As far as a career goes, I think your major matters much more than what college you attend. Your choice of college should be driven by how comfortable you are with the other students and those intangibles that define the "atmosphere" of the place.

Although I am confident I would have done fine as a physics major at just about any college, I can't imagine going to any other place than where I went. For me it was a perfect match.

I think it's still trying to live that down.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Gores..did you see this graf in today's Washington Post?

British Prime Minister Tony Blair has been trying to convince President Bush to take a more pro-active stance on global warming, and Britain announced it had hired former vice president Al Gore to advise it on lobbying the U.S. government.

Posted by: Loomis | October 30, 2006 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Padouk, what college did you attend? East or West coast? (Because, boy, do I have a graf for you from some reading I did today...)

Posted by: Loomis | October 30, 2006 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the Monroe Doctrine does contain a specific "poutine provision" in its enumeration of events that would justify our taking action in this hemisphere.

Did a quick google search on Toronto, Calgary, and Saskatchewan. Toronto has a very cool city hall complete with ice skating rink a la Rockefeller Center. Lots of *beautiful* gardens, too. Line dancing and rodeos are apparently very big in Calgary. Saskatchewan's tourism site stresses (wait for it) . . . winter sports! But there are lots of pretty pictures of bed-and-breakfast places and of people being pulled around in horse-drawn sleds, like in Currier & Ives.

Anyway, going home now to find a GOOD DOG and tickle his belly and give him a walk and some grub. Tired today.

Firsttimeblogger, are you out there? Sorry you had such technical difficulties and hope this doesn't mean they have returned. I for one assumed you had changed your screen name. At one point, someone else was commenting on how quickly Achenaddiction can take hold (again, nothing to do with me, uh huh, no way)and they mentioned you and mostlylurking as having screen names that maybe didn't fit anymore.

Later, team.

Posted by: annie | October 30, 2006 6:21 PM | Report abuse

For whatever it's worth in peer pressure influence, I'd like you all to know that I stopped at the library on my way home from work and VOTED. It was electronic voting, so who knows if they'll count my vote, but I did, in fact, "VOTE EARLY." Do you have early voting in VA, MD, NC, AB, ON, CA, OK, TX, OR, etc? I really like it--the process is much more convenient than it used to be.

Posted by: kbertocci | October 30, 2006 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Linda - I went to a small private college in Southern California.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Day 3 with Mudge.

Sigh

Posted by: maggieo'd | October 30, 2006 6:31 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Of course, I meant "Without"

Apologies all around.

Posted by: maggieo'd | October 30, 2006 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Glad you clarified that, maggieo'd. Your 6:31 post could have been interpreted in several ways.....

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I like you bigcranky. Hope you stick around.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article about lie detection technology:
and bees:

No early voting in WA, unless you count voting absentee, by mail. They keep threatening to switch us all to vote-by-mail, which would be ok by me. I have never gotten around to changing to absentee, so I'll vote at the church again next week, maybe for the last time. We've had some close, contentious elections lately, so we'll see how it goes.

As for my ironic name - harumph! No, I agree, it's funny, and if I could think of a better one, I'd switch...but then I'd have to announce it and all. I used to use Caged Rabbit occasionally (Joel's editor referred to him looking like a caged rabbit once) - and my husband calls me rabbit - so it fits.

Posted by: mostlylurking | October 30, 2006 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, just catching up after number ones hockey practise and before I continue reading the Poutine post is hysterical. You may want to contact Rick Mercer on that one I think he'd be interested.

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I second RD on the Bigcranky sentiment.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 6:50 PM | Report abuse

bigcranky;

Welcome to the Hotel Achenblog. We can always use a little more cranky here.

RDP, I went to a middlin' state school in the Northeast.

maggieo'd, LTNS, and no worries.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Early voting in Ontario, never used it though as I have always been able to get in and out on voting day quick.

And if I may, why is it that one of the most technilogically advanced nations in the world has such difficulties with ballots, registrations?

Here our voter registration is done when you check a form on the tax return, how do you register in the US? This is fairly new up here and not sure if there are problems, none I have encountered but that means little.

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's an article from a Seattle paper on Barack Obama's visit last week:
He is so impressive - thoughtful, intelligent, authentic, funny. He may not have much experience in national government, but he's worked with community groups and in the state legislature for most of his adult life. I read his first book, and he's a good writer, too. He deserves the hype.

Posted by: mostlylurking | October 30, 2006 6:56 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt:
Thanks so much for posting that girlfood article in the previous 'boodle. Ha!

The piece almost could have been written by Achenbach himself:

"I once had a waiter in Aspen who talked lovingly about the particular variety of potato that was about to accompany my pan-roasted Alaskan halibut (women like 'pan-roasted' and 'seared'; we're not so keen on 'braised' or 'jugged'). Anyhow, this potato - a Yukon Gold, since you're interested - came from a family farm in Idaho, the produce of warm, God-fearing and honest folk. The potato had been loved! It is possible that they had bottle-fed it after its mother shunned it in infancy. The potato and I were practically on speaking terms when it was dispatched. It was as if we had bonded."

Here's the link again for those who missed it. Fantastic; absolutely fantastic.

Posted by: Achenfan | October 30, 2006 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke - Hey some of my best friends came from 'middlin state schools. Including my boss.

I do think that anyone who is going into a technical area should get a master's. Having an "advanced degree" really helps. Again, don't think it much matters where you get it.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Rick Mercer can't afford me. I prefer to publish whatever I write that has any merit at all, for free, on the Achenblog.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2006 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I understand exactly how you feel Yoki.

Although I seldom hold my words to that, you know, "merit" standard.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 7:08 PM | Report abuse

There's hope for me yet, RDP. :-)

_______________________________

Hey, read this:

And try and tell me, given the location, that you don't imagine the use of the phrase, "You lookin' at me? You tawkin' to me???"

*L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Ah, bigcranky, thanks for the memory of being "exempt." I was one of those for three years and constant headaches and working weekends and evenings and never seeing daylight. Then I applied to transfer from HR to IT.

They told me I would no longer be exempt, I would be "hourly."

I did NOT jump up and down and laugh hysterically.

Not until I was safely moved into IT!

Posted by: nellie | October 30, 2006 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Just remembered my favorite part about the time change, years ago I worked in downtown Toronto and commuted on the GO Trains, heading west after the time change you could look at the skyline and see the Royal Bank Building reflecting the last rays of the sun. The glass is gold coloured and embedded (so they say) with flecks of real gold. In the sunset at this time of year and again in the spring the building will glow like the embers in the fire for about 20-30 minutes is is a wonderful spectacul.

Picture of the building and description of the architecture attached, but couldn't find a good picture at twilight.

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Achenfan-Glad you like the Yukon Gold
We have the potato-breeding program of the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada to thank for the Yukon Gold.

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Just wait till you try to reclaim a life, bigcranky. My current attempt is not working at all. At this point all I'd like is vacation and a new space to work in. Even Achenbach's corner under the stairs is starting to sound good.

Posted by: dr | October 30, 2006 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the kind words. I tried very hard to stick around in here several months ago, but too many other things got in the way. I will try to do better this time. You folks are a riot, and generally make my day.

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Great Scottynuke. Now I got this mental image of an elephant with a mohawk doing pushups. Gonna be hard to shake that one.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 30, 2006 7:25 PM | Report abuse

For those with a taste for politics; May I present the Machaca Burrito ?

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Good article, S'nuke. That's the second elephantine article you've linked to.

What brings on this penchant for pachyderms?

Now I really must be off. I think I need at least 14 hours to detox from all that Raw Fisher today. You know, on his worst umbrage days, he's still not as popular as our Fearless Leader.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 7:52 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Capitals are in town to play the Flames at the Saddledome tonight. How marvelous. I will of course be cheering for my boys though I love to watch Ovetchkin on the ice.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2006 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Elephants and I share something, Wilbrod...

Don't EVER bring a mouse to a BPH!!!!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Machaca is shredded beef, usually in a tomato sauce. One of my favorite dishes at a local Mexican place. Similar to ropa viejo.

Great, now I'm hungry.

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 8:01 PM | Report abuse

SCC ropa vieja. Argh.

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 8:02 PM | Report abuse

though now a google search brings back hits with both genders. Hmm. My Spanish classes were a long time ago, and didn't cover this. Help?

Posted by: bigcranky | October 30, 2006 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I love it when you all change back to Standard Time. It means I'm only 2 hours behind the west coast and 5 behind the east coast. It makes a huge difference.

I used to hate the spring forward change, but love the fall back when I lived in CA. I like that it gets dark early, gives you more time to get cozy on the couch.

Posted by: Aloha | October 30, 2006 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, bigcranky...

Once you SCC, you can never go back.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2006 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I for one wish Daylight Time would go away. I resent getting up in the middle of the night just so the golfers have more daylight to play with their balls.

Posted by: Mark Smith | October 30, 2006 8:08 PM | Report abuse

From the front page of wapo.com, copied and pasted here...

Test Infers Elephants Self-Aware

Ability to recognize themselves in the morror is a complex behavior observed in few other species.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't know myself in the morror. I wouldn't even know what a morror looks like.

Posted by: TBG | October 30, 2006 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I picked up a little news byte on the office elevator screen the other day (not verbatim):

Microtransistors and laser technology now make it possible to broadcast messages on portable devices and items of clothing such as spectacles, visors and windscreens. Techtips

Will this awesome power be used for good? Will doctors in the arctic be able to don a pair of power glasses and have instructions transmitted for removing a narwhal tusk from a delicate area? No! Who will use it? Ad agencies. Pretty soon, the driver of the Expedition that is tailgating my wee Honda on the icy freeway will not be watching the road, she'll be watching Dr. Phil. And that kid on the hog in the leathers and Bell helmet who just ran a red light? He's texting his girlfriend.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2006 8:48 PM | Report abuse

We have a narwhal tusk in our home (family heirloom - long story), if you have one of those in your delicate parts you are in big trouble. Ours is six feet long!

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 8:58 PM | Report abuse

There is also a blurb on the home page that says, "Failing to curb climate change could lead to the equivalent of the Great Depression . . ."

Personally, I think that is a best-case scenario. More likely, it will be a case of "Great Depression? Looxurrry!"

Posted by: Dreamer | October 30, 2006 8:59 PM | Report abuse

RD, I went to Well-known Private University in the Boston Area (WPUBA). It was a long time ago. Somehow that was the prize that was extruded by turning the college admissions crank. At the start, I didn't have any focused desire for it, but once the prize had plopped out onto the ground, it was remarkably attractive. I can't claim I had a great time or escaped all harm, but in reality, it was probably one of the safer places both physically and for maturation. Apropos of nothing, I love trudging across school grounds, whether it be junior high or an enormous state U. Love walking across the gym floor when I go to vote.

Posted by: Woofin | October 30, 2006 9:03 PM | Report abuse

hahahahaha

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2006 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I am sending you the doctor's bill for aspirating Dr. Pepper from my lungs.

Looxurrry, indeed, Dreamer. LOL.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 30, 2006 9:03 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, people, we need to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX! Who says all days have to be
the same length, anyway? If we're going to start fiddling with the clock, then
let's at least put some thought into it. We should at least make Mondays a
22-hour day, with work starting at 10 a.m., none of this 7 a.m. or 8 a.m. crap.
Tuesdays through Thursdays I guess we leave alone. Fridays should start
normally, but (since it's TGIF) afternoons should start about 3 p.m., with
"happy hour" beginning at 3:05 p.m. and lasting until 9 p.m.

We take the extra hours we haven't used and apportion them as follows: three
extra hours on Saturdays, 90 extra minutes in the morning (for those who insist
upon rising early and "doing stuff" and driving to the beach or mountains
without eating up all darn morning doing it) and another 90 at night for you
party animals and...er...romantics and newlweds (wink wink). Sunday gets an
extra two hours, all in the afternoon, "recovering" (wink wink), for reading the Sunday WaPo, and/or watching at least two more quarters of football
(non-football fans and the ladies can bake, go shopping, loll in the hammock, or
do whatever it is they like to do while we're engaged in watching football).

I call it "flex time."

bc

Posted by: bc | October 30, 2006 9:25 PM | Report abuse

"'Why are days different?' [8-year-old] Jane enquires after a moment.
'In what way different?'
'Some days are long days and some days are short days. This is a short day.'
'Ah,' says Matthew [her father]. 'I see what you mean. I suppose it's that when you're busy, or enjoying yourself, time goes more quickly.'
There is a further reflective pause. 'Where does it go?' continues Jane.
'Ah.' Now it is Matthew who is silent. They are walking beside the river. He looks at the slow swollen flow of the water, at the glitter of the Isle of Dogs beyond. He sees, and also thinks. 'Well,' he says eventually, 'I suppose there's a sense in which it doesn't go at all. Things that have happened are always there, so long as someone knows about them.'"

-- from the novel "City of the Mind," by Penelope Lively

Posted by: Dreamer | October 30, 2006 9:40 PM | Report abuse

//We take the extra hours we haven't used and apportion them....///
I like this idea.
Why not let individuals sell unused hours on E-Bay or even better there they could be traded like stocks and bonds.
We would have to be on guard againsst Time Bandits.

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 9:50 PM | Report abuse

RDP - I cast my vote for Harvey Mudd. (I like the name.)

Posted by: nellie | October 30, 2006 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I set down my Grandmother's turkey platter to type my last post. Standing up I knocked it off the table and its in a gazillion pieces on the tile. AAUUURRRGGGHHH!!
Will some one call my sister and tell her?
She's gonna kill me.

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the business names! I'm still checking some of them out with the PA business registry and registered domain names.

Yoki, Argent, etc., are taken, which speaks to great popularity.

SF, bravo for dilemma. Were it not for the "no good option" connotation, I'd be there. Got a laugh from emmasfamilyjewels--SHE doesn't have any!

LA, love emmalli. Emma Rose is a Mississippi belle, as it happens.

Wilbrod, Emma of my Delight reminds me of a friend whose family owned pacers. She was never allowed to name any because she wanted to call one *Money Begone.*

TBG & others, practical and easy to remember. I think most people would remember Emma & jewelry, and a search would bring Emma Rose Jewelry right up. I always have to fumble to come up with www.passementeriedc.com. Love her work, it's too hard to spell/remember for me to tell people about it easily. She discounts on Etsy.com, should you fall in love with something.

Jack & Boko99, thanks for the house tips. Home Depot put down oak floors after I'd bought this house, they started coming up 4 days later. Took 18 months to work it out with them, . . . what guarantee? Older and wiser, found a contractor friends had loved. Guess now I'll have to talk with him about attic insulation.

bc, that is the finest flex time idea I've ever heard. Sign me up!

Does anyone on this boodle have a lab that *isn't* black? My 2 are. Wilbrodog is. Who mentioned 3 of them today?

All good things, dbG

Posted by: dbG | October 30, 2006 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Boko, just remind your sister of the concept that "it's already broken." In the words of author Geneen Roth:

"At a meditation retreat I attended in 1982, the teacher held up his favorite teacup and said, 'As far as I'm concerned, this cup is already broken.' My back was killing me from spending fifteen hours a day sitting cross-legged on a cushion, waking up at four-thirty in the morning, and eating gruel for breakfast. I was very cranky. When he said that, my first thought was, 'Huh?' and my second thought was, 'Oh, for God's sake, stop talking gibberish and ring the bell so I can go eat some trail mix.'

"Since then, I've given some thought to the concept of 'it's already broken,' and I think that teacher may have been on to something. . . . The nature of things is that if they don't get lost, they get stolen, and if they don't get stolen, they get broken, and if they don't get broken, they fade or fall apart. This law applies to teacups, cars, people, sweaters, pets, computers, earrings, and just about everything you can touch or buy or have. . . . knowing that it won't last forever can help you be wildly appreciative of it now."

-- from "When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy (When You Feel Anything But), by Geneen Roth

Posted by: Dreamer | October 30, 2006 10:21 PM | Report abuse

boko99: //Will some one call my sister and tell her? She's gonna kill me.//

Sure. It's a thing. . . and when I describe how YOU'RE doing just fine after cutting your hand trying to save it, I'm sure her perspective will be restored!

Posted by: dbG | October 30, 2006 10:22 PM | Report abuse

SCC:
Anything But),"

Posted by: Dreamer | October 30, 2006 10:24 PM | Report abuse

re: bigcranky's 6:38

I hadn't thought of that. Good Gad,
what would Mrs. Mudge think!

Posted by: maggieo'd | October 30, 2006 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dreamer I'll try that, but I don't think she'll be very keen.(plagarism)
I don't usually put much stock in stuff, but this platter was Nana's and I remember it from every family gathering since childhood.

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2006 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Boko, sorry to hear about the platter, I had one from my grandmother too, there were a lot of grandchildren and my grandparents wanted each one to have something to remember them by, I had one of her platters that I dropped on the ceramic floor, I didn't particularly remember grandma using it but it was hers.

Goofy idea but as I have said I am a home improvement show nut, I saw once where they took the broken china from someones grandmother and used it for a table top. It was not the same but the memories would still be there, is it possible to use the broken pieces for something?

Posted by: dmd | October 30, 2006 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Boko999 --- don't throw those pieces away! Save every little shard. There are china restores who can put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Look in the phone book, if you find nothing, go to any antique store and ask.

Posted by: nellie | October 30, 2006 11:02 PM | Report abuse

SCC: restorers

Posted by: nellie | October 30, 2006 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Look out boodlers: a mutated form of H5N1 has broken out of china and is resistent to current flu vaccines...get your flu shots...it's a 50/50 in terms of avoiding an infection, but better than the alternative.

Posted by: jack | October 30, 2006 11:49 PM | Report abuse

thanks for posting the picture, mo!

need excessive daylight? move north. of course, this backfires in winter.
longest day stats for moscow: ~17.5 hours
longest day stats for st. petersburg: ~19 hours
but long twilights (1-2hrs) make daylight seem even longer, and during white nights in st. pete, it never gets completely dark. great time to visit.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | October 31, 2006 12:30 AM | Report abuse

as for standard versus daylight savings, i vote that next spring, we shift a half and hour and then just stay there permanently.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | October 31, 2006 12:43 AM | Report abuse

scc "half an hour"

Posted by: L.A. lurker | October 31, 2006 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Nice picture, L.A. and ac. The CA BCH made me think -
I wish we all could be California girls!

St. Petersburg is one of my dream places to go - in the summer, of course. A friend of mine went on a cruise that included a stay there and he came back with fabulous pictures of the Hermitage and the palace (or maybe it's palaces?).

Happy Halloween, everyone.

Posted by: mostlylurking | October 31, 2006 1:38 AM | Report abuse

OK, DST has me up at 2 am this morning rather than 3:00. I have 4 hours to get ready to go to work, but that doesn't matter for I'm sure I'll still be rushing around at the last minute.

Happy Halloween!

Posted by: Pat | October 31, 2006 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Can you guess what part of the day I like? Happy Halloween everyone. Mudge, I hope you decide to drop by, I just miss you.

I've been up for awhile. Just woke up, and could not go back to sleep.

A friend of mine and my dad is in the hospital, and he says he's ready to go. I will try to see him today. My dad sounded worried on the phone last night. I hope my dad will allow me to go with him, I just don't think he needs to be alone. Pray for all of us.

I'm working at the church tonight for the kids' Halloween bash. I hope they enjoy themselves. I think it is so much better to come to the church than going from door to door. People have gotten so mean now. One has to inspect the candy before the kids eat it, and sometimes they slip a piece anyway before getting back home. Just too much to worry about.

Have a great day, folks, and if you have kids, I know what you will be doing this evening, Trick or Treat. In all the fun and scary stuff don't forget that God loves us so much more than we can imagine through Him that died for all, Jesus Christ.

Trick or Treat, Nani, Error Flynn. Good morning, Slyness and Mudge. *waving*

Posted by: Cassandra S | October 31, 2006 4:29 AM | Report abuse

Lovely sunrise here. Not only at a reasonable hour, available at an affordable price.
Good morning all, and thanks for the advise regarding my broken platter. The poor thing is so shattered that I can't imagine any restoration producing anything more than a reminder of my clumsiness. Or, even worse, remind my sister of my clumsiness.
Perhaps my reluctance to inform my sister of this minor domestic disaster derives from a fear of payback. Her family famous klutziness may not have been so notorious without my constant reference to it. I'll wait until Christmas dinner to inform the family of the platters demise. Not only will my safety will be guaranteed by the presence of witnesses, she'll have ammo for defense in the sibling rivalry wars. A small gift, but it's the thought that counts.If it gets too rough I can shame her by mentioning the sympathy I got from strangers.

Posted by: Boko999 | October 31, 2006 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Morning all! *wave*

TBG, elephants obviously can't use the narrow mirrors we use, hence the wider "morror."

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2006 7:34 AM | Report abuse

NEW KIT!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2006 7:35 AM | Report abuse

if anyone is still listening: in the blistering arizona summer (where we do not observe daylight savings time), that extra cool morning hour outside (f'instance in the garden) before having to go to work is irreplaceable.

Posted by: chrisinarizona | November 2, 2006 5:50 PM | Report abuse

" I feel liberated, I'm just going to tell you plainly as I can why. I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, well, why have you been doing it? Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democratic Party and liberalism does. "

- Rush Limbaugh, 11/08/06

Posted by: boodle... and run for the hills !!! | November 8, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

LeRoy Doggett passed away in April, 1996. Nice to know he is still a source of info for Joel!

Posted by: Rich Schmidt | November 28, 2006 3:58 PM | Report abuse