Hillary and Me

Every so often there's a brief kerfuffle about the way the news media habitually refer to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) as "Hillary." Fretful observers fear that this is sexist. Never mind that her website says "Hillary for President" in huge letters (and "Join Team Hillary" and "Hillary's Stem Cell Pledge" and "Maya Angelou Endorses Hillary," and so on). [Howie says, "If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me."] Nonetheless, a while back, while working on my magazine story on the presidential campaign, I asked Hillary -- um, Sen. Clinton -- how she feels about being called Hillary. I saw her in the Capitol and jumped on an elevator with her, and then tagged along as she took the tram back to her office. I asked specifically: Is it sexist for people to refer to you in print as Hillary?

"Hillary is fine," she said. "Hillary is fine. That was the first name I had. I'm happy to claim it."

We chatted a bit about her childhood home in Park Ridge ("It's a very solid little home in a good neighborhood," she said) and her middle-class upbringing ("I had a wonderful childhood with good schools, good parks, many friends..."). She was gracious and agreeable. But then, after she was gone, I began to wonder anew about the "Hillary" thing.

Here are three possible interpretations of her "Hillary is fine" answer.

1. I am a complete twerp -- a rude, asinine, ink-stained wretch -- who dared interrupt her busy day with a silly question about her name and subsequent trivial chatter about her childhood. Obviously she was in no position to declare any discomfort with being called "Hillary," as that might make her look stuffy and imperious. Hence no conclusion can be drawn from her response.

2. She was in a rush and telling me whatever would make me go away. A more nuanced answer is what she gave Walter Shapiro in the Salon interview, in which she draws a distinction between campaign image-building and journalistic policy. [Note, by the way, that the excellent Lois Romano story on Hillaryland uses "Clinton," except in a brief passage in which she writes, "Hillary, as they call her, has thrown them wedding showers..."]

3. She was giving me, personally, permission to call her "Hillary." She was saying, "Joel, I'm just 'Hillary' to you." And this permission does not extend to any other member of the news media.

Clearly any rational person would find interpretation No. 3 to be the most persuasive. Indeed, reading the Shapiro piece again, I'm led to believe that she was telling Walter, "I'm Sen. Clinton to you, Buster." And she would never say something like that to me.

I'll ask Hill about this again, the next time I run into her.

By Joel Achenbach  |  June 21, 2007; 10:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Edith Piaf: Behind the Music
Next: Of a Chantress and Bulls Blood

Comments

Joel, at least she didn't say

"It's Hillary... Ms. Clinton if you're nasty"

That would have been truly disturbing.

(This has been your obscure pop reference of the day.)

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, I think people are overthinking this. My take is that she probably has better things to worry about than what she is called. You know, really important stuff like how she is going to overcome this whole Céline Dion debacle.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

RD, that would have been a far superior song choice for Hillary to have made.

JA, the truth of interpretation #3 in no way negates the truth of interpretation #1. But I mean that in the Best Possible Way.

Posted by: byoolin | June 21, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I know you're going to take it the best possible way if I call you a *Nasty Boy*, right, RDP?

Posted by: dbG | June 21, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"he looks me up and down
like he knows what time it is
like he's got my number
like he thinks it's his
he says,
call me, Miss DiFranco,
if there's anything I can do
I say,
It's Mr. DiFranco to you"
-Ani DiFranco "In Or Out"

Posted by: yellojkt | June 21, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Well, she could hardly say, "I prefer President", now could she?

In the absence of specific permission otherwise, protocol requires public references to a titled personage by title, which would be "Senator" here. However, she's clearly authorized the use of "Hillary" at least for informal campaign references.

I personally have held out for years for "your eminence" or "your highness", but have been granted neither, so make do with plain old "Ivansmom".

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 21, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

From the last Boodle: Yoki, here's a snack for you. Spicy V-8 with a splash of tequila, accompanied by wasabi peas. Very refreshing.

In the law, we don't use no stinkin' data.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 21, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

dbG - I was just afraid nobody would get the reference. Good golly, it's been what, 20 years now?

Joel, I think you have to take Hillary at her word. If you start going down the road to "what did she really mean?" I fear you shall go quite mad.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Channeling Tom fan: first word in penultimate para needs an l

Posted by: omni | June 21, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

obviously there was some channel interference: an=>another

Posted by: omni | June 21, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Also - a "HIllary" snuck into option one.

Yes, the irony of me finding a typo is almost too much to bear.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I think you need to consider a tagline. For example, I think "Ivansmom: Woman Of Destiny" has a lovely ring to it.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Umm, regarding your Kit, "Hillary and I"...if you're both in the nominative, that'd be something. Why you chose accusative is beyond me.

I think the news or the bigger story is that she's dropped "Rodham" from her name, or how she'd like to be called, or how she wants the press to now name her, because she now wants to appeal to all those women who bake chocolate chip cookies?

Fom Hillary's blog, April 30:

Guess I will have to finally do it. I will drop my maiden name after getting people to use it when they describe me for years.
Even the press has been using the initials of HRC to shorten my name since Bill was in the White House.

But now I will drop my maiden name and that will be it for this election. I mean 95% of the women in this country are still old fashion and use their husbands last name when they get married, I need to gather those votes even though that is a old fashion concept to me.

I will change my name as much as I can to win. I did it before when Bill lost his second election and changed again when he went to the white house.. its time to do it again.

Posted by: Loomis | June 21, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Solticial Quiz O' the Day:

9/10, "Cool water and palm trees for you."

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

more channeling then a walk: Hillaryand in the Lois Romano link needs a space.

Posted by: omni | June 21, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link:

Posted by: Loomis | June 21, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Joel, if you keep running into Hillary you are going to get tackled to the ground and manacled by the Secret Service's goons.
I suggested to my minnions to address me as their Most Revered Leader. No takers yet but I'll keep trying. These "Eh You" don't sound very respectful somehow.

Yvansmom, my religious education is mostly forgotten but I think Your Eminence is reserved for Cardinals (of the RC). Yvansdad may have a remote chance of being called Your Eminence one day, but I think you're toast.
I remember a politically appointed high ranking US DOT official insisted on being addressed as 'ma'm despite that she held no military rank and this wasn't a military organization. She's gone now but I just hope one day she'll get to know what was said in her back.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | June 21, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Cleary any rational person would find interpretation No. 3 to be the most persuasive." Is it possible the cleary is clearly?

Posted by: daiwanlan | June 21, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I think the elevator rides to be on these days are Fred Thompson's or Michael Bloomberg's.

Posted by: Loomis | June 21, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

[a previously eaten post]

Why thank you, RD. "Woman of Destiny" has a lovely ring to it, and is certainly more approachable than my first choice.

Actually, shrieking denizen, I was holding out for Pope.

Ivansmom, Supreme Overlord

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 21, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Your Holiness Yvansmom I. Cool
All women's names would be "I", of course.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | June 21, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

5/10 on the summer quiz. I better stay inside and read more science fiction.

That Hillary blog hasn't been updated in a while. My guess is that the sock puppet writing it wasn't getting enough attention and moved on.

Fake Steve Jobs is much funnier.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 21, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I was suprised to learn Senator Clinton used public transit. I didn't even know Washington DC had a tram. Good for her and you. I remember when I rode the bus with Senator Eugene Forsey in Ottawa. Oh those were the days, calling out fake stops, spitting on squeegy kids.....

Posted by: Boko999 | June 21, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

7/10 on the quiz. Guessed and was wrong on the jellyfish sting, frying your organs in a tanning booth, and garlic not repelling mosquitos. I think I'll still permit myself to go outside, though.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 21, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Boko,
That is the secret members only congressional tram that runs between the Capitol and the various office buildings. Definitely not public transportation.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 21, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

10/10 yahoo...

Posted by: omni | June 21, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Boko - there's a tram between the Capitol and the Senate and House office buildings. Not really public transportation but the public is allowed to ride on it. I saw Sen. Kennedy once when I rode on it. He's a lot older than I thought.

6/10 on the quiz. And I live in a sunshine state! Embarrassing.

Posted by: Aloha | June 21, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I like the Woman of Destiny thing, too, and it makes a cool acronym for your signet ring and the logo on the side of your limo: I:WoD. Kinda like A-Rod.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, that tramway. I saw a pol being interviewed while riding it on 60 Minutes. I wondered how they kept the skateboarders out of it (those little buggers can get in anywhere). Just another case of pre 9/11 thinking I guess.

Posted by: Boko999 | June 21, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I could care less about whether she's called "Hillary" or "Hillary Rodhman" or simply "Senator Clinton."

I'm more concerned that she didn't do her job and read the National Intelligence Estimate about Iraq. News organizations such as Knight Ridder realized there Iraq didn't have the necessary centrifuges for a viable WMD program. But Hillary didn't care. Or is it Senator Clinton didn't care? Or should I say, Hillary Rodham? Who really cares? She has blood on her hands and her efforts to become an anti-war candidate are a lie.

Posted by: Intrepid Liberal Journal | June 21, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) -- A five-acre glacial lake in Chile's southern Andes has disappeared -- and scientists want to know why.

Park rangers at Bernardo O'Higgins National Park said they found a 100-feet-deep crater in late May were the lake had been in March. Several large pieces of ice that used to float atop the water also were spotted.

"The lake had simply disappeared," Juan Jose Romero, head of Chile's National Forest Service in the southernmost region of Magallanes, said Wednesday. "No one knows what happened."

A group of geologists and other experts will be sent to the area 1,250 miles southeast of Santiago in the next few days to investigate, Romero said.

One theory is the water disappeared through cracks in the lake bottom into underground fissures. But experts do not know why the cracks would have appeared because there have been no earthquakes reported in the area recently, Romero said.

A river that flowed out of the lake was reduced to a trickle.

Posted by: Whoa! | June 21, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I've forgotten my score on the summer test because I was distracted, and disturbed, by the explanatory note with the jellyfish question, recommending that we carefully scrape off any tentacles.

Around here, they'd tell you that Texas took the water from that lake in Chile. A little farther west, folks would blame California.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 21, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Although no definitive answer to the mystery of the disappearing Chilean lake has yet been found, authorities in the South American nation are seeking this man for questioning in connection with the strange event-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPPBnciNAqI

Posted by: kurosawaguy | June 21, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I could skip a stone across a 5 acre lake.
A trickle of water would be sufficient to feed a tiny lake like that and cracks appear in glaciers all the time so I don't understand the international significance of this story.

Posted by: Boko999 | June 21, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

8 out of 10 on the Soltice quiz, the mosquitos and jellyfish did me in.

I can't get to excited about what to call Hillary, when I introduce myself it is always by my given name, never a title and if one is put in front I quickly correct it. As a woman I would much rather people call me by my given name than my last name, I find referring to someone just by their last name rude.

Posted by: dmd | June 21, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh for heavens sake, I was 10 for 10 on the quiz. Ultimate mother, I suppose. My kids will enjoy that one.

Posted by: Slyness | June 21, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The undiscovered vestiges of prehistoric life must have been thirsty.

Posted by: Breugel | June 21, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

When I covered the Hill way back when (right around 9/11), the tram was members, guests, staff and press only. I don't think it's become any more inclusive since then.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Front Page alert, in case you hadn't noticed.

I don't see what all the fuss is about a missing lake. Back in my day, we lost an entire continent called Atlantis. Looked for the damned thing everywhere. Bupkis.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

8/10. I was wrong about urine (dang!) and they got me on a technicality with sunburn through glass (which really is a load of hooey).

Okay, so I accept that she accepts "Hillary." I'm still not sure how to pronounce "HIllary" or how you can tell that those two capitals are there. At least, that's how it's spelled in the Kit.

I don't fully acccept that just because she and her camp refer to her as "Hillary" alone that it is appropriate for everyone else to call her that. For her and her ilk, it is socially acceptable to be familiar. For us, I feel like it is a tad presumptuous. Joel, of course, is of a more exalted state than we mere Boodlers and may presume, even, not to kneel and kiss the ring of the President. Nor must he abase himself and kiss the marble floor upon sighting the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, as we must do (if you are weak on your protocol, you should know that a mere bow or curtsey is acceptable for Associate Justices. This might require some limberness to accomplish with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, as it is standard form to bow below the dignitary's eye level. Do your stretching exercise if you will be coming to Washington, if you wish to avoid the Capitol's dungeons). Anyway, Joel has toadies to do his toadying for him, and lackeys to do his lacking. That's why he is better than you and me (yes, "me" : objective case pronoun. So, there).

Posted by: ScienceTim | June 21, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think she'd prefer you call her 44. Or President.

Posted by: Will in Seattle | June 21, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

From the front page: "Heelys -- shoes with wheels -- are must-haves for the grade-school set, but some worry if they are safe."

*Whether* they are safe. *Whether* they are safe. *Whether* they are safe.

Jeez.

Posted by: StorytellerTim | June 21, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Be careful, Joel...you may get busted for stalking "Her Royal Highness". Incidentally, it's "Mrs. Clinton" to you.

Posted by: DQuixote1 | June 21, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I have "l" problems when typing the blog. The letter "ell." I may need to make some kind of font adjustment so that I can actually SEE what I'm typing. The font on my screen is Times New Subatomic. I can't see a thing.

Posted by: Achenbach | June 21, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Huh, 8/10 on the quiz.

I think that exceeds basic "Father of the Year" requirements (which would probably just be to take the quiz, no matter how we score).

I notice that no one calls Ms. Clinton "Hilly."

When you come right down to it, "Hillary" is a lot better than the nicknames many people have given the last two Presidents.

Posted by: bc | June 21, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Joel, maybe it's your eyes.
How many fingers am I holding up?

Posted by: bc | June 21, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Joel, bifocals solve lots of problems. Have you checked into them?

Posted by: Slyness | June 21, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

bc, I've never seen that many fingers on a human being before. You ought to have that looked at.

JA's use of Times New Subatomic reminds me that in today's NYT there is an interview with Sarah Jessica Parker about her designer clothing label and at one point she says, "My fatal flaw is that I have to be involved literally down to splitting the atoms."

To be able to do that and still keep the price of a t-shirt under $20 is a tribute to her Mad Design Skillz.

Posted by: byoolin | June 21, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

*checking quickly to see if SJP has a license to split atoms*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, does a license to split hairs (ends or not) cover that?

Posted by: bc | June 21, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

bc;

I think that's cosmetology...

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmm Scotty, the tram is exclusive? Okay, maybe I rode on it because I was on a Capitol tour with a Congressional Aide. That would have made me a guest I suppose.

Posted by: Aloha | June 21, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

fatal flaw...splitting atoms

heh heh heh

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

fatal flaw...splitting atoms

heh heh heh

Posted by: omni | June 21, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

another unsigned post, I must be catching kbertocci's ailment.

Posted by: omni | June 21, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Joel has lackey's?

Posted by: dr | June 21, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Joel has lackeys as well as flunkies, minions, toadies and henchpersons. They're all woefully underpaid, but his batman is fantastically wealthy.

Posted by: byoolin | June 21, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke's recollection of the Congressional trolleys is correct. Aloha would have been a guest. Regular ol' tourists can't get into the Capitol any other way. (Legally, that is.)

Posted by: pj | June 21, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

byoolin;

Don't forget the sycophants, hangers-on and groupies. And us stalkers, of course.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

What did Fisher call us? Cult followers, wasn't it?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

And well do we deserve the appellation, Mudge!

Posted by: Slyness | June 21, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Not me, 'Mudge, I couldn't stand "Fire Woman."

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's all just agree that Joel has a posse consisting of members who may be described in a variety of (mostly unflattering) ways.

We need a uniform or a secret handshake of some sort.

Posted by: byoolin | June 21, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, you should see the complex recognition signals we use when we meet for BPHs at McCormick & Schmicks.

Space shuttle landing postponed until tomorrow due to rain in Florida.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Mudge: That's old news.

Posted by: bh | June 21, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of BPH, when is the next one?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

But isn't it simply splendid that Chile's national hero is Bernardo O'Higgins?

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I have a bag of wasabi peas in my desk drawer. No tequila, though.

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Saturday night at the Nationals game, anonymous.

Which is old news? That the shuttle landing has been postponed, or that we're a cargo cult?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Another quick drop-in. Another late night tonight--oh joy! Only did 6/10 on the quiz. I obviously need to get out more. Maybe when we finish this phase of this (bleeping) project, they might let me out for a week or two.

Posted by: ebtnut | June 21, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I have always thought it amusing that the national hero of Chile is General Bernardo O'Higgins. They also have a bank named after him -- Banco O'Higgins. I do not know what jingles or splendid "free" gifts they use to entice clientele.

Posted by: ScienceTim | June 21, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Uniform - Blue shirts, aluminum foil hats and thongs (to protect the important parts), and Crocs.

Posted by: DLD | June 21, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

DLD, I don't do Crocs.

I'm more of a knee-high lace-up Gladiator sandal kinda guy, myself.

Posted by: bc | June 21, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, wasn't that an old Mae West punchline? "Are those wasabi peas in your drawers, or are you just happy to see me?"

And wasn't Bernardo O'Higgins the Puerto Rican leader of the Sharks (played by George Chakiris)?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't O'Higgins' American wife Mr. Tudball's secretary?

Posted by: bc | June 21, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

bc's right. I think we need to launch an investigation into the fraudulent perpetrator claiming to be Bernardo O'Higgins (who I believe was also one of the Magnificent Seven, played by Charles Bronson) immediately. If necessary, we should be prepared to launch nukes against Chile. (Just for practice, and to keep our nuclear option limber, in case we need to nuke Iran.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Bernardo O'Higgins and other such names often reflect Irish soldiers or chieftans who fled the old sod for France or Spain. The point was to fight the English, no matter the army.

One movement was the Flight of the Earls in early 1600, primarly from the Antrim area. A later and much larger dispora is known as the "Wild Geese" -- this movement covered the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries.

Patricio Lynch is another mash up: his did something bold in Argentina and then later Chile, I believe.

Che Guevara's granny was a Lynch, but not related to the Patricio Lynches. Che was bold, doncha think?

And the 1920s Mexican president Álvaro Obregónis an O'Brien. Look at the Spanish flourish in the name, losing an apostrophe and gaining an accente.

In my family we know of Daltons from Cavan who transmogrified into D'Alton, after serving in the first Napolean's army. A Seamus D'Alton fought in WW I, with an infantry group organized near Nante.

This history moment is rather useless, which makes it boodle-worthy.

Perhaps the Francophone Seamus liked music by Edith Piaf. He would have little comment on the Hillary question.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 21, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

CP--then they all must be related to Loomis, right? I seem to recollect a Hidalgo O'Loomis who cornered the wasabi pea and jockey shorts trade in Paraguay, before United Fruit Company came in and forced a merger, creating the now famous Fruit O'Loomis tighty-whitey cartel.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 21, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I believe you're right about the need for an O'vestigation. Chile can be like a nuclear bullpen.

Whoo. Some ugly weather rolling in from the west over here. Wind, rain, etc.

Posted by: bc | June 21, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

What's in a name? It's the string of honorifics that become tiresome, as in The Honorable Doctor Governor Howard Whatshisname, M.D.. Eminently forgettable egomania. Just Hillary is fine with me too, as is the candidate with no last name at all, Ron Paul.

Posted by: Shiloh | June 21, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Some ugly stuff just rolled over us here. Its worse a little south of the city. The sat. imagery is showing some purple, which is usually very bad.

Posted by: dr | June 21, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

No fair, absolutely NO FAIR!!! We haven't had a decent storm all spring. Keep your complaints about rain to yourselves!

Posted by: Slyness | June 21, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, your 5:00...

I'm applauding at how you pulled that one together.

Whoops, here's some lighting. Going off line for awhile, kids.

Posted by: bc | June 21, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Mudge, I count about eight boodle references. Take 10,000 S&H green stamps from the cookie jar.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 21, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The 5:00 is classic. Take a well earned dash for the bus.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 21, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Hi Boodle! (whatever happened to our buddy Eurotrash?)

Spent yesterday in NYC with the school's drama kids. We saw Curtains, starring the Tony-award winning David Hyde Pierce. Cute show, entertaining but not the I've-got-to-see-it-every-time-I'm-in-New-York quality of some other [*cough* Wicked *cough*] shows.

An alum of my daughter's school is in the show and she came out to speak to her old drama teacher and his current students. That was fun. And DHP spent a good amount of time with the kids, signing Playbills and posing for a great group shot with them.

It rained all the way up there. I kept assuring folks that since there were members of the G family along, there should be no worries about the weather. And indeed, as we approached the city, the rain stopped and the sky turned blue and remained so all day.

The ride home was torture, however. The bus was a fancy, big, new motorcoach with the most UNCOMFORTABLE seats I've ever sat in. They look comfy, but when you sit down you wonder who thought they might be shaped to fit a human body. Even my tiny 13 yo daughter kept complaining of a sore back from the seats.

I'm not sure of the name of the bus company, but I am finding out and will make a complaint (the mom who organized the trip is doing so as the official complainer). When I find out I will be more than glad to share the info with anyone who is "tasked" with chartering a motorcoach in the future to make sure they avoid this particular company.

Hey... on that summer quiz... Can't tanning give you Melanoma? Doesn't that mess with your innards--or "damage your internal organs?"

Posted by: TBG | June 21, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

From last boodle: CP's Colornym contest--

Good name for a yellow-green:
Spring sunset green

Bad name for a yellow-green:
Snot ectasy

And at my one stab for being on-topic:

Good name for Hillary's hair color dye (not that I assume she dyes her hair-- touch-up the grey at the most).

--Young Lionness

Bad name:
--Spin-Doctored Blonde.

Dbg, I envy your lab energy ;).

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Finally! I'll be officially hired on Monday by the company I've been temping for. I'm not sure if I'm more happy or relieved. Small company, good people, they're environmental engineers so proofing their work is a challenge but interesting, and did I mention close to home? My salary isn't great but I don't care, quality of life is my focus. It will be nice to settle in and feel a part of something again after almost a year.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | June 21, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, friends. Just checking in, will not stay long. Had a doctor's appointment, a follow-up, everything seems okay.

My hearing-aid wasn't working good, so I went to the agent at the place I bought it. This guy tells me the hearing-aid is fine, it's my ear. Of course, I couldn't do it the simple way, medical personnel have to involved. I know these folks are tired of seeing me.

Tomorrow is the last day for Vacation Bible School. I've really enjoyed it this year.

The g-girl and her mother are still here. More work.

And the weather is oh, so, hot. And the air conditioning in my car does not work. I take a towel with me to dry off. The heat really does slow one down, and it makes one tired too. Rain would be nice.

Slyness, I heard on the news that smoke inhalation and burns killed the firemen, not the roof caving in as originally thought.

Just going to rest for awhile. It is always good to talk to all.

Mudge, a lot of information about that word "data", and most of it, I don't have a clue.

God loves us so much more than we can imagine through Him that died for all, Jesus Christ. Peace.

Posted by: Cassandra S | June 21, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Smoke inhalation makes for a quick death, Cassandra. They should have had their self-contained breathing apparatus on and been safe from that. So sad, so unnecessary.

Congrats, Sneaks! I hope the work is interesting and fun, to add to the other positive features of the gig.

Posted by: Slyness | June 21, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Good news Bad Sneakers, hope you enjoy the job and the security.

Posted by: dmd | June 21, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I have to get an audiogram soon myself-- even though I know I'm deafer than a post.

I expect to see a flatline on my audiogram, with a feeble flutter in the low frequencies.

Take care, I don't care if they're so tired of seeing you that they fall asleep examining you. A kick in the shins will wake 'em up to finish.

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

There are 2 rabbits at the WHS shelter. I hear they need special care and kindness, so they're not always suitable for kids to have as pets.

Any tips for those considering becoming a COTR (Companion of the Rabbits), RD?

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Sneaks.

Posted by: dr | June 21, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Good for you, Bad Sneakers! Good news is good news!

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

3 Bay leaves
Flour, for dredging
â…“ cup Butter
1 tablespoon Sugar
3 tablespoon Flour
1 cup Sour cream

Skin, clean and cut the rabbit[s] into pieces. Marinade 1-2 days in the next 10 ingredients. Remove the rabbit, drain, dry, dredge in flour and brown in butter in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Strain the marinade and add to the rabbit, cover and simmer 1 hr. Arrange the rabbit on a warm platter and set aside. Add the sugar to the broth. Blend 3 Tbl flour with a little water and add to the broth. Just before serving stir in the sour cream. Pour over the rabbit and serve with noodles.

Posted by: BadBoko999 | June 21, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Hello to all of you! I've been out of boodle-circulation for 2 weeks, although I've read a bit sometimes, when I could. Boko, that rabbit recipe is in very poor taste! My sister-in-law volunteers for an animal rescue group in Cleveland and goes once a month to a house nearby to help shovel out rabbit poop. That's all she does, for hours, is shovel and sweep and mop. The homeowner, a mother of two young children, allowed her rabbit population to swell to over 300 before authorities stepped in. Having no alternative, they have left most of the bunnies there, but have spayed/neutered, and the volunteers come in 2-3 times a week to clean up. Child welfare officials made the mother take the children to a relative's for a while, but now they're all back in residence.

The big problem, apparently, is that the homeowner keeps adding new bunnies to the population the rescue center is trying to reduce. My s-in-law has around 3-4 bunnies in her own home at any one time, so is very sympathetic, but she refuses to take any more in herself. I don't blame her.

Posted by: Wheezy | June 21, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Companion of the rabbits, not Consumer of the rabbits, Boko.

But then you knew that.

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I recognize that for many in the world rabbits are of no use except as a source of high-quality protein.

Of course the same can probably said for

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh and regarding option 3. I know how Joel feels. For after you've watched Giada De Laurentiis sixty or seventy times, you start to become convinced that she is preparing that Rigatoni Just...For...You.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Blogging from Lima, whenever I happen to be near an expensive hotel with a non-password-protected WiFi network (I can't afford those hotels...)

Took my students to the natural history museum today, to give them a crash course on comparative anatomy of mammal skeletons. Normally, I would use, say, skulls from a dog and a deer, but this is Peru, so we had to make do with a llama, a sea lion, an Amazon River dolphin, and a sabre-toothed cat (somebody eventually came up with a coyote skull.)

Comparative anatomy is a first step in teaching evolution. Whale skulls, in particular, are so aberrant that at first glance you might not even realize it's part of an animal, but all the same bones are there, in highly modified form.

It's nice when the students realize that they can identify the same bones in wildly different animals. These are college students, so the concepts are familiar to them, but this is the first time they've really looked at a skeleton in detail. You can see their "Wow, they weren't just making this stuff up"-moment.

Sometimes I really like teaching.

Posted by: Dooley | June 21, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

The rules for adopting bunnies are pretty much the same as for adopting any pet. Find out what you can about the history, expect that you might end up with behavioral problems, and be willing to either accept those problems or return the animal.

The only added trick with bunnies is to make sure they have been fixed, to help make them more docile, and to consider buying more than one, since they find comfort in company.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 21, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

RD, I can tell that even in America to most predators rabbit=food - they're so helpless.I Did anyone see this story about giant rabbits being sent to North Korea for food?

Personally I am no longer capable of watching any show on the Food network, and simply cannot understand why y'all seem to like this Gina person with the huge head and teeth. Rachel Ray and Paula Deen are almost as bad, to me.

Posted by: Wheezy | June 21, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Sneaks!!! *Snoopy dances with a double somersault*

Ow.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see this at the end of the Froomkin piece:

Picnic Watch

The Wonkette blog reports: "Congress joined the Bush Administration for a nice little barbecue on the South Lawn [Tuesday] night. The theme was Mardi Gras, so everybody could enjoy memories of New Orleans being destroyed by the Bush Administration and then pretty much left in that same condition years later.

"Famous NOLA chef Paul Prudhomme catered the picnic and New Orleans jazz band Kermit Ruffins and the Barbeque Swingers played Dixieland.

"And then Bush told the black musicians to clean up after the politicians."

From the transcript:

"THE PRESIDENT: Kermit Ruffins and the Barbeque Swingers, right out of New Orleans, Louisiana. (Applause.)

"MR. RUFFINS: Thank you. Thanks for having us. We're glad to be here.

"THE PRESIDENT: Proud you're here. Thanks for coming. You all enjoy yourself. Make sure you pick up all the trash after it's over. (Laughter.)"

Wow.

Posted by: bill everything | June 21, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Would a 22 lb rabbit really eat half a bale of hay per week?

Those giant rabbits are so cute, and I think Wilbrodog would fall in love with such a huge bunny friend. Whether the favor would be returned remains open to question, of course.

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Ah, apparently so...

I'll look elsewhere then.

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, you could get one of those giant "marshmallows" of hay to last the bunnies all year. Some machines wrap hay in white plastic so it really does look like big marshmallows of hay dotting the fields. You could just pretend it was a piece of art in your living room.

Posted by: Wheezy | June 21, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

A big storm just blew through and I slept through it. Amazing, normally I have to get up and close everthing. Oh the power of little or no sleep. The soltice fire will have to wait a day or two.

Speaking of Chile, I saw the Oscar Mayer Weiner mobile on 70 the other day. I looked in the rear view mirror and thought a blimp was following me. He blew right by me, the guy must have been doing 90.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | June 21, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

My niece had a rabbit for many years. It got very sick and had to be put to sleep. My niece cried so hard at the clinic that the vet didn't have the heart to charge her for the service.

Posted by: rain forest | June 21, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

We ate rabbits long ago and far away, as did many families. Yes, we flinched, but meat is meat.

In the day of my darling wee two dots, we loved a piebald bunny named (insert Pi sign here). It lived for about seven years, When Pi went into death throes in front of us -- heart attack? stroke? -- older dot shrieked at me to do CPR while younger dot dialed 911. It was over very quickly and I redialed 911, but they came anyway. The rescue-gents and one fine lady-driver were used to showing up at our warren, since CeePeeBaby had many grand mal seizures.

The rescue squad was very kind about the death of Pi-bunny.

We loved as well, this line from Beatrix Potter; Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies: " It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is "soporific."

Read all the Tales, including one about a Fierce, Bad Rabbit, at

Posted by: College Parkian | June 21, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

The rescue squad was very kind about the death of Pi-bunny.

Read all the Tales, including one about a Fierce, Bad Rabbit, at

Posted by: College Parkian | June 21, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Re: Wilbrod's 8:33; I swear I heard a weekend ATC on NPR that said the big rabbit breeder was really mad and would not send anymore rabbits to North Korea because the powers that be were not allowing the rabbits to breed and were, literally, eating them up.

Posted by: bill everything | June 21, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I believe I have told the story about the time my mother caught a rabbit in the yard, skinned it, and fixed it for dinner. She and my dad feasted, I had a pimento cheese sandwich. My dad told the local columnist about it, and he put an item in his column about it. Then my father realized that it might not be rabbit season and was worried. Fortunately, rabbit season opened that day...

Is there a season for rabbit hunting any more?

When I was a kid, birds, squirrels, and an occasional mouse were about the only wildlife in the neighborhood. Granted, that neighborhood is now considered inner city, but still. Here in the suburbs we have rabbits, chipmunks, raccoons, deer, and even foxes. Diversity rules.

Posted by: Slyness | June 21, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

This has gotta hurt:

Posted by: bill everything | June 21, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

You already knew this. Seeing it all on one is just too sad making.

Posted by: Boko999 | June 21, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

My computer wallpaper is a picture of my daughter's cat protecting her home from a fox -- (great picture taken by a 10 year old.)

Or perhaps it is a fox preparing to smack a cat.

They live on the outer edge of a town in the Napa valley, a reminder that nature is right out THERE!

Posted by: nellie | June 21, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, Mr. T is very happy with the outcome of the Carolina/Rice game. I'm sorry you won't be.

Posted by: Slyness | June 21, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

OK, it is really late to be pointing this out, but all of you editor types seem to have missed the fact that in the first paragraph of the kit there is a left bracket ([), right before the "Howie says" link, which never gets closed.

Sorry - feeling a little neurotic tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

We didn't cause global warming, the insurgency is in its last throes and now he's claiming he's not bound by laws covering the executive branch. I'm sure our vice president must have a redeeming quality somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it might be.

Slyness, your mention of small animals reminded me of the excitement here on Father's day morning. "S"'s daughter and SIL and family were on the porch with us looking out over the backyard when the SIL spots a deer. You have to understand that our next door neighbor has lived here for almost 30 years and has never seen one and here we've got a beautiful young deer walking very calmly through our yard. The funny part is that "S"'s daughter lives about an hour north of NYC and has tons of deer in her yard, we've actually lost count when we tried to tally them. It's almost as if one followed them here. We were also amazed because we do have a lot of coyotes and I wouldn't think that deer would want to be in the same area. Then again, we also have bunnies living under the shed, so go figure.

I hear thunder so I think I'll sign off for a bit.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | June 21, 2007 9:57 PM | Report abuse

O, alas, I am too far behind and it is too late to catch up. I worked 12 hours today and have been busy with training and software upgrades all week. Not to mention the septic tank fiasco, which has pretty much come to its conclusion, inasmuch as we now have a fully functioning septic system. That's a good thing. The back yard is a HUGE mess, though, and the fish pond will not return to its former glory anytime soon.

Before the fiasco:

And after:

Well, what do I care, I'm about to take my first shower in seven days! [Insert tiresome lecture here about how it is perfectly possible to be clean by washing in a basin of water, and only Americans think it's necessary to simulate Niagra Falls every time you wash...]

I'm sorry I missed the Edith Piaf discussion. I do like her music, I have a collection of her greatest hits on 3 cds. But I listen to my Charles Trenet cds a lot more, and here's a Charles Trenet song for the solstice, a philosophical, astronomical song, with simultaneous translation (o! philosophy, astronomy AND linguistics! I'm done here. Good night and sweet dreams to all.)

Posted by: kbertocci | June 21, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

(Inside the beltway in Maryland, with the other typical surbarban critters:
Foxes
Possum
Racoon
Cooper's hawk, seasonally
Sharp-shinned awk always
Screech owl
Pileated woodpecker (pair)
Black vulture
Ground hog
Deer

After Hurricane Isabel I heard a
Night jar and saw a bobcat. Yes, a bobcat. Last week, I saw a chipmunk. Odd, since I have not seen this critter in the suburbs in more than 20 years of watching.

I await my first coyote sighting since leaving the West in the early 80s. Rumor is that a cougar roams near Andrews AFB. I would put money on a bobcat, but cougar may surprise us all.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 21, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Congratulation, Bad Sneakers. I hope the new gig turns out great.

Anybody remember the rabbit eating scene in the wonderful film "Local Hero"? (That's something I love about this place. We can go from what to call Hillary Clinton to eating rabbits in less than 100 posts. Whether this is good or bad I'll leave to others, but it is impressive.)

Posted by: pj | June 21, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

KB -- oh my. But what is a body to do? You have the right attitude. Glad you have water back.

Bunny bedtime. Lights out, Lapins.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 21, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Neurotic is interesting. Give it a chance. :-)

Posted by: dbG | June 21, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I like it that the wildlife and the suburban types live together. We have deer and foxes and coyotes (pronounced ki-otes here in S.A.) and hares and grouse and wolves and elk and moose and groundhogs and gophers and woodchucks and ground squirrels and ptarmigan and hawks and owls and eagles and brown bears.

It makes me very happy, that we cut each other some slack.

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Saw this aptonym in Froomkin's column:

The Roman Catholic archbishop of Hong Kong is named Joseph Zen. That's nicely ecumenical.

Posted by: pj | June 21, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

And of course, there was Cardinal Sin of the Phillippines, rest in peace, who had a great sense of humor about his rank and name combo.

Posted by: Wilbrod | June 21, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I had forgotten about Cardinal Sin. Excellent.

Posted by: pj | June 21, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I know this sounds incredibly quaint, but in a (more-or-less) suburban Atlanta-area high school in the late 70's, the lunch line offered fried rabbit one day. People actually eat these things, you know?

[I did. Tasted like chicken.]

Posted by: Bob S. | June 22, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

kbertocci -- thank you for the Charles Trenet clip. I don't speak French, but I have played it about four times and will play it many more. It just makes me smile. Sent it to my daughter, who was a French minor at one time in her past, she loved it, too.

Posted by: nellie | June 22, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. It's Fridayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I expect Scotty and Cassandra will be along shortly to give you your proper morning calisthenics and benedictions. In the meantime, I'd like to tout Robin Givhens' story about those ugly Croc shoes, especially when worn on the feet of none other than Arbusto, who had the fashion sense (extreme irony intended) to wear them with, yes, black socks. I mean, jeez. Hilarity ensues here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/21/AR2007062102403.html?hpid=topnews

And our beloved vice president continues to send my blood pressure skyrocketing with his assertion that he doesn't have to comply with federal regs because he's not part of the executive branch. It's long past time that malignant buffoon was impeached.

Last evening when I got home from work I picked our very first tomato, the one our Celebrity has been growing and which I reported on. About the size of a tennis ball, and a lovely red the color of a fire truck. Sliced it up, doused it with a little Russian dressing, sprinkled with sea salt, and added a wee bit of (home-grown) chopped sweet basil--oh, major yummers. Went quite well with the king crab legs (they were on sale at Safeway last week for $6 a pound--unbelievable! And Wilbrod, the catfish was $5.99 a pound, unbelievable. The world's gone mad. But then, you all knew that).

Since we moved into the new building at work, today concludes our second full week without telephones in my little five-person team. I'm not talking about no service or no dial-tone; I'm talking about no physical gizmos sitting on our desks. And we still aren't mapped to our two printers. We've got a bunch of Help Desk tickets festooned to our suite door, but the weird thing is, we're kinda getting used to being incommunicado. No ringing phones, nobody bugging us, nobody knows where we are or what we're doing. It's kinda nice, actually. You've heard of the famous Lost Battalion and the famous Lost Dutchman Mine? Well, we're the now-famous Lost Graphics and Editing Department. Some day there will be urban legends spawned about us.

We are very fortunate, though, to be on the ground floor, and we have windows. Lats week there was another building evacuation, and of course no alarm bells rang and there was no way to know. The only way we found out about it was we looked out the window onto the plaza and saw hundreds of people exiting the building and milling around. Have I mentioned that our new ID badges with the little electronic chips in them are four weeks overdue? Seems the contractor hired to do all the new badges was overwhelmed by the work, and didn't do some of them. Guess who's group was in the "Ooops" bin? Un-huh. Badges? Doan need no steenkin' badges. And the other morning the new cafeteria ran out of bagels, milk, butter and half-and-half by 8:30. Unreal.

Fortunately, my group is tough, and we soldier on. Your tax dollars at work. Gotta run; catch you all later.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

> Tasted like chicken.

This reminded me of an old Far Side where a guy and a chicken are at the table eating dinner. The chicken says to the guy something like "these frog legs are pretty good... taste just like... hmmm... something... familiar..."

I finally managed to get that dang axle nut off yesterday (the "special tool" plus 5 lb. sledge did the trick). My elation, however, was short-lived. Now the dang brake drum is hung up on the shoes and the shoe adjusters are frozen, so I still can't get the dang thing apart.

Further proof that "mechanical things don't like me": my new "Mouse" sander bit the dust yesterday after a whopping 3 foot drop onto the back of a toilet. It still runs, but the little plastic bit that connects the motor to the sanding pad shattered, meaning I'm left with what's essentially a wedge-shaped vibrator.

So it goes.

Peace out...

(4)

Posted by: martooni | June 22, 2007 6:32 AM | Report abuse

I wear Crocs almost exclusively. I can walk for hours on end in those things, and my feet have never been in better shape. I wouldn't be shod any other way during the monsoon rains.

But lest y'all think I'm a total slob for adopting such a mode of dress, I should point out that I do color co-ordinate my Crocs with what I'm wearing -- I have several pairs, to match with my various get-ups: a pink pair, a green pair, a pale yellow pair, and a recently acquired cheapie pair of white faux Crocs with a pink, green, and yellow orchid design (not as comfortable as the real deal, though). I sometimes wonder just *how* I get by without a blue pair . . . or a purple pair . . . . But one has to set *some* limits on oneself.

I've never worn Crocs with socks (that would hinder the massage effect from those little bobbly nodule-y bits on the inner sole), but I have considered acquiring a brown or black pair (maybe both!) to be donned with jeans during the cooler months. However, I probably won't ever wear those ones with the holes shaped like Mickey Mouse (sometimes referred to here as "Lovely Rat").

If there's a downside to my Croc fetish, it's that I'm currently sporting very strange tan marks on my feet -- several rows of brown polka dots just south of the toes, where the Croc holes go. But I'll take those over corns any day.

Posted by: Dreamer | June 22, 2007 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Morning, everybody!

Mudge, I own a pair of Crocs but I normally just wear them around the house. You know, to garden and do housework. I see Givhan's point, but I am so into comfort these days. I'm just not a pleasant person to be around when my feet hurt. So many of the shoes foisted on women are criminally uncomfortable, even if they are *elegant* or *chic*.

OTOH, I don't do flip-flops either. And since I have a very small foot, the range of acceptable footwear is small indeed. It's discouraging, not to mention unfair!

Posted by: Slyness | June 22, 2007 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, I do not have a pair of Crocs but I am considering a pair for gardening. When my parents were sick I noticed how many of the nurses wore Crocs, in there place they work.

Slyness when I was young we had a women who would stay with us when our parents went away on trips. She was just a lovely person full of local history, her family has been one of the original families in the area. She was a little bitty person under five feet tall with a shoe size of 4.5, she was always complaining she could not buy decent shoes because she had to buy her shoes in the kids department.

Posted by: dmd | June 22, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Morning all!! *TGIF Grover waves, albeit with hands only after last night's salute to Bad Sneakers* :-)

'Mudge, all you have to do is properly camouflage the entrance to your area and you might never see a supervisor again. Bravo! *golf clap*

martooni, I'm just not gonna say anything about your current Mouse status, OK? *L*

[approximately 36 hours to the Nats BPH]

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 7:36 AM | Report abuse

And is it just me, or was Robin channeling just a little of JA at the end of that article?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I think Home Depot opens at 6am not because contractors like to get an early start, but so power tool junkies can sneak out and buy new stuff before anyone at home who might object gets out of bed.

(so says the proud owner of a new Rigid 1/4-sheet sander *and* a new Ryobi router, both of which are now safely hidden away in the shop)

Posted by: martooni | June 22, 2007 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Двадцать второго июня, ровно в 4 часа
Музыка: Е. Петербургский
Двадцать второго июня,
Ровно в четыре часа
Киев бомбили, нам объявили
Что началася война.
Война началась на рассвете
Чтоб больше народу убить.
Спали родители, спали их дети
Когда стали Киев бомбить.
Врагов шли большие лавины,
Их не было сил удержать,
Как в земли вступили родной Украины
То стали людей убивать.
За землю родной Батькивщины
Поднялся украинский народ.
На бой уходили все -все мужчины,
Сжигая свой дом и завод.
Рвалися снаряды и мины,
Танки гремели броней,
Ястребы красны в небе кружили,
Мчались на запад стрелой.
Началася зимняя стужа
Были враги близ Москвы,
Пушки палили, мины рвалися
Немцев терзая в куски.
Кончился бой за столицу
Бросились немцы бежать
Бросили танки, бросили мины,
Несколько тысяч солдат.
Помните Гансы и Фрицы
Скоро настанет тот час
Мы вам начешем вшивый затылок,
Будете помнить вы нас.

Posted by: june 22 song | June 22, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

When it comes to feet, I'm all about comfort over style - to a point. I will wear heels when the clothing calls for them but don't have to be that dressed up too often. The last time I wore heels my feet hurt for two days afterwards. I live in bare feet or sneakers (big surprise) when I'm not at work. Don't own Crocs but after reading the comments, they might be a good shoe for gardening, now that I'm employed, I could afford to buy a pair. They sort of remind me of the bootie things one wears with a foot injury, not very attractive, but functional.

Hang in there Martooni, don't let the car problems get to you. Happy Friday to all.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | June 22, 2007 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Gesundheit, june 22 song...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Sneaks, congrats on the regular gig!

Thank you everyone for the rabbit discussion last night. I now have a Little Rabbit Foo-Foo tune cootie.

CP, you don't have chipmunks? We're filthy with them here. There's a couple that live under our lower deck, and provide TWD with endless amusement. If you'd like, I'll send some to you. *Fire up the fax machine, Scotty!*

Mudge, we had some of the $6 Safeway crab legs, too. Weren't they heavenly?

Re: Crocs. I must have defective feet, because I tried on a pair and knew instantly that 5 minutes of walking in them would give me blisters (rubber rubbing on skin and all that). The search for comfy footwear continues.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 22, 2007 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Damned Rooskies.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

To Robin Givhan's admonition that people "keep their Crocs on the boat or in the garden," I say, A person should wear what [s]he wants to! [Except flip-flops, because they're noisy when worn by people who drag their feet. At least Crocs are quiet.]

Don't Dress Your Cat in an Apron

Don't dress your cat in an apron
Just 'cause he's learning to bake.
Don't put your horse in a nightgown,
Just 'cause he can't stay awake.

Don't dress your snake in a mu-mu,
Just 'cause he's off on a cruise.
Don't dress your whale in galoshes,
If she really prefers over-shoes.

A person should wear what he wants to
And not just what other folks say.
A person should do what she likes to,
A person's a person that way.

[Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure to whom I should be attributing these wise words.]

Posted by: Dreamer | June 22, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain to me why the young-uns that play on our neighborhood basketball court leave their water, Gatorade, etc. bottles lying all over the place when there are 2 trash cans within a 25-foot radius? Is it because the Raysmom automatic trash-pickup service cleans them up every time she walks by?

Posted by: Raysmom | June 22, 2007 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom;

You could always pile the stuff neatly right under the basket. Subtle hints work best, yanno.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't know who June 22 above is, but FYI, the Russian folk song he/she posted is from WWII (aka The Great Patriotic War) called "On June, 22nd, at 4:00 o'clock sharp at the morning" (and sometimes called the 22 June Song) and goes

a little something

like this:

On June, 22nd
At 4:00 o'clock sharp in the morning
Kiev was bombed, we were informed,
The war has begun
The war began at dawn
For killing more people.
Parents were sleeping, their children were sleeping
When the Germans began to bomb Kiev.
The huge avalanches of enemies were coming
And it was no forces there to hold them,
When they came on the lands of dear Ukraine
They began to kill people.
All Ukrainian people arose
For dear Ukrainian Motherland.
All men were going into action
Firing their house and plant [meaning factory].
Many shells and many mines were exploding,
Many tanks were thundering by an armor,
Red Falcons [Soviet fighter planes] were twirling in the sky
And were rushing in West like arrows.
A severe winter began,
Enemies were close to Moscow,
Many guns were firing, many mines were exploding,
Tearing the Germans in pieces.
The battle for the capital finished
The Germans took to their heels -
They abandoned many tanks, they abandoned many mines
They left some thousands soldiers.
Remember, Hanses and Fritzes,
The time will come soon, it will be time
When we beat your lousy nape
And you will remember us.

So that's your tune cootie for today, I suppose. (You all remember the melody, right? It's based on "The Blue Kerchief" by Jerzy Petersburski.) But I shouldn't be making fun, because the Russians did a helluva job in WWII, and paid a terrible price, and they have a right to be proud of what they accomplished. Here in the west we tend to think we Americans "won" WII, but 2/3 of the European Front war was fought--and won--in Russia and the Eastern Front. And since our school systems don't bother to teach anything about WWII and people like Patton, Eisenhower, McArthur, Marshall, Montgomery, LeClerc, etc., they sure as hell ain't gonna teach anybody about Zhuikov or Timoshenko, or the Battles of Kursk, Stalingrad, the retereat from Vyazma, the encirclement of Army Group South, etc. Which is too bad.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Don't crocs taste like chicken?

Hahahahaa haa.

Oh never mind.

As has been discussed before, there is no logical reason to define certain of God's critters as your bestest animal friends ever, and some as lunch. That I spend about an hour each evening reading in a small room with two lagomorphs binking about (That's right. Binking. Look it up.) suggests that I have a soft spot in my heart for the little beasties. Yes, it might also suggest I have a soft spot in my brain, but that's another issue.

I do take issue with the notion that bunnies, however, do not live forever.

And speaking of audiological testing (look, it's a Friday) my right ear seems to be out of sorts this morning. I believe that the eustachian tube has become swollen closed. Fortunately, I am done fathering children. (Wait. That's different.) This has happened before, and it should open up eventually. In the meantime I am simply dosing up on a lot of ibuprofen. At least I think it's ibuprofen. Unless I opened the wrong bottle. Which would certainly explain this post.

(See, "Crocs," you know, could mean "crocodiles" which are supposed to...)

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I am impressed. I was gonna run it upstairs and wow you all, but you beat me to it. You really know your stuff.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

For your cultural edification:

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

A Croc taste like a rubber chicken. Or so I imagine.

And there actually is a little picture of a crocodile on the plastic rivet that joins the strap to the body of the shoe -- unless it isn't an authentic Croc. (Beware of imitations.)

Posted by: Dreamer | June 22, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Padouk, that song really DID put a tune cootie in my head--but it was "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" song by the Soviet Army Chorus and featured in the movie "The Russians Are Coming x 2." And with that reference, who can forget Vittaker Valt and "Egermancy, egermancy, everyone to get from street."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Morning all. It took me a long time to get over Robin Givhan's initial dissing of all DC area women for wearing running shoes to work and carrying their dress shoes. (Written shortly after she arrived at WaPo. Her first column?) Her claim that there are comfortable dress shoes to be worn with power suits just told me she had drunk the kool-aid. Made we wonder if she'd had her little toes removed to make pumps fit better. I have grown to quite look forward to her writing but still think she's too hard on the avg. footwear wearer. However, I do expect my president to dress better than I. For goodness sake, one at least expects him/her to act like a grown up most of the time.

I wonder how Robin would feel about the CP/Frostbitten plot to take over men's briefs as a women's wear item.

Serious boodle inquiry. Why is it "cross dressing" if men wear women's underwear and just "comfortable" for women to wear men's underwear?

Raysmom-I see you have a variant of the frostbitten super power. Obviously you are the only person who can see both the trash and the receptacle. For me it's cat puke. I am the only one in my family who can both see it and find the cleaning supplies.

Posted by: frostbitten | June 22, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle.

Bad Sneaks, congrats.

Mudge, thanks for explaining that song and the reminder of how much the Russians contributed (and the price they paid) towards the Allied victory in WWII.

Posted by: bc | June 22, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom, frosti, I think it's the estrogen. Causes super powers of observation - and a bad sense of responsibility.

Posted by: Slyness | June 22, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Frostbitten - You have touched upon a very profound point. It is acceptable for women to adopt male ways, but never for men to do the opposite. You can name a girl "Bobby" but never a boy "Lisa." Women can wear clothing based on male styles and look empowered. If a man does this he looks like he should be in a nightclub act. Women who choose not to wear make-up are liberated. Men who choose *to* wear make up are considered..., well, you get the idea.

My take on this is that both men and women find something very powerful in the traditional male image. Women who approach this image seek power, men who move away from it are losing power.

This is a grossly simplistic point of view, but I think there is something to it.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

RD, sometimes your best friend *can* end up as lunch.

Note to self: don't take friends for trips into remote mountain areas. Don't want to end up starring in "My Dinner with the Donners," or as Andes Candies.

Posted by: bc | June 22, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

bc - just as long as they don't have a gamey leg.

(In the end, all is Python.)

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I heard a blast from the past on my way home from work this morning

*Hot Rod Lincoln*

Posted by: greenwithenvy | June 22, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

What do you mean you don't know who June 22 is???sheesh

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I'll have you all know that June 22 is also Bring Your Pet to Work Day. So did ya?

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Um, to put a fine point on it frosti, women's underwear is just not that comfortable compared to men's.

It binds and restricts in places I, er, I mean *you* really don't want it to.

Granted, it seems like the materials used for ladies' undergarments are of much better quality than the men's. Nicer tactile qualities, and who doesn't appreciate a little tasteful lace?

(Note: I intentionally avoided use of the word "trim" in the previous sentence.)

Posted by: bc | June 22, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

And Happy Birthday to Erin Brokovich, who turns 47 today.

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I *knew* that was you, omni!

Posted by: Dreamer | June 22, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I love it when Padouk gets in touch with his Inner Boy George.

bc, I'd still like to know who posted that song. I didn't know Valery Putin was one of our lurkers. But hey, we're always happy to add to our repertoire of international song stylings. (Say, you don't think it might have been Comrade yellojktski, do ya?)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

My pappy said
Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin
If you don't stop drivin
That Hot Rod Lincoln

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

My entry with the word sad ism (please connect those two syllables) and shoes is being held for inspection by the blog owner.

I agreed with Frosti
Recommended Kenneth Cole Reaction to Raysmom
Greeted BadSneaks, who really is very good!

Now I can say yes to RD's post. Boys do not like to read "girl-themed" books. An entire generation could miss out on Pippi Longstocking, due to that sad tendency.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 22, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I seem to have BOOO'ed; that was you, omni? Well OK, then. (Don't tell me you hum that in the shower?)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

>I finally managed to get that dang axle nut off yesterday

Martooni, my condolences. Too bad you can't make new ones out of wood. If it makes you feel any better, a couple of years ago I popped $400 to replace frozen brakes and calipers on TWO cars (i.e. $800) because I hadn't driven them enough!

The Robin Givhan shoe thing reminds of a woman I met in my first job in NYC. We were both in our early 20's. She had moved to NY from Ohio, regrettably with a husband. Very gifted musician and very beautiful, like Xena-style. They hired her to do some marketing for our new product.

She used to walk from St. Mark's Place to 45th street in sneakers carrying a briefcase. One day I saw the briefcase open and the only contents were high heels. Cracked me up.

She was just the person to get us in and out of those Audio Eng. Society shows. We'd send her down to distract the union guys while we moved our own stuff. She was a good sport about it.

Posted by: Error Flynn | June 22, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

BC -- mens wear is made of high count cotton, so it is thicker in a micro-way that is userful. Last longer. Keeps shape longer. Camaflauges (sp?) better under outer wear.

And the wide waistband does not pinch and print you with railroad tracks.

(Frosti -- we have outed ourselves. Wow. On line, people know this! My IRL (In real life) peeps don't know this.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 22, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Mudge, twas me...haven't you noticed that for the past couple of weeks my first or second morning post is tellin' y'all what day it is. As in today is World Wide VW Beetle Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Whaddaya mean, guys don't like to read girl-themed books? I musta read "Naughty Candystripers in Black Leather" oh, 15, 20 times.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

No, I hadn't actually noticed, omni; very sorry. My pattern recognition software doesn't remotely begin to operate until at least my third cup of coffee. When I wake up in the morning I give the person next to me in bed a peck on the cheek and pray to god that first, it's a woman, and second, that it's my wife. All I can say is, I've been pretty lucky so far. I just hope the streak continues.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

A lady I work with in the morning drives a WV Beetle that is almost as old as I am and it is PURPLE.

Posted by: purplewithenvy | June 22, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Re. sad ism:
When I was in the 7th grade I had an English teacher (a nun) who always had a mournful expression on her face. I mentioned to a classmate that the nun always looked so unhappy, so sad. My friend replied -- in all seriousness, and probably without knowing what the word meant -- "Yeah, she's a sad ist" [pronounced SADDist]. I didn't know what the word meant either, so I just thought, Oh, that must mean someone who makes a habit [habit!] out of being sad.

Posted by: Tom fan | June 22, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

SCC- VW

So used to using it the other way

Posted by: purplewithenvy | June 22, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Tom Fan -- so funny, and real, as in we make words and some end up in the pantheon of all words.

SAD dist

SADE ist

I will forever think of that melancholy nun when I read the word sad ist. Such a cleansing, albeit wistful image, from that awful Marquis de Sade and his hideous treatment of Justine.

Justine and Lolita: not such good names for little girls, in a history of fiction sort of way.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 22, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Mudge - I am not implying *I* would ever consider doing anything to recapitulate Boy George. I am the very definition of Machismo. Why I have so much testosterone rushing through my manly veins that I ocasionally need to stop work to go run outside and mangle something with my bare hands.

Unless, of course, it's nippy.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

RDP mangles?? He doesn't have a washing machine? What???

*confusion redux*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

>I occasionally need to stop work to go run outside and mangle something with my bare hands.

And then I suspect he spends a little time on the bocce court.

Posted by: Error Flynn | June 22, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

OTOH, it's good to see those umbrage-inducing "SUV Owners of America" ads fell on deaf ears:

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Back in high school, when it seems I was in my Russian phase, (Solzehenitsyn stage really), I read 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad. There are some books you just never forget.

Without the Russian tenacity, and stoicism, without their sacrifices, the war would have been lost before it was begun. Its a darn good thing Hitler was afraid of communists.

Posted by: dr | June 22, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I've mentioned before that I learned to drive in a bright orange 72 Super Beetle (yes, it had the classic flat windshield), and drove it off and on for a couple of years.

Speaking of "Naughty Candystripers in Black Leather," Mudge, I need to give that back to you. I understand why you dogeared the some of those pages, but your use of the pink highlighter was a little distracting.

Martooni, sometimes you need a right-sized block of wood and that BFH to get the drums off, whacking them from the edges on the back side, and working them off slowly and gradually around the edges. Wouldn't hurt to spray a bunch of rust remover in there at this point and spinning the drum around to work it into the fiction surfaces, might make it easier to get the drums off if you don't have to fight so much rust scraping laterally across the brake shoes. Any grooves in those drums or shoes should make it that much more fun...

BTW (4) is a great number. And so's (5). Keep it up.

CP, er, I appreciate the input on thread count; I guess I like the lighter material. And I don't mind buying underwear a couple of times a year if necessary (unlike some guys who shall not be named still wearing underwear that dates from the Nixon Administration). I feel compelled to add here are ladies' undergarments that do not leave "railroad tracks," available in attractive patterns and festive colors. Ultimately, I am a boxers kinda guy ("Cry, 'Freedom!'"), but I am open to experimentation.

Posted by: bc | June 22, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

SCC, second to last sentence at 10:04 "I feel compelled to add here that there are ladies' undergarments..."

Posted by: bc | June 22, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I see Dick Cheney (you know, the guy alleged to be a big...never mind) is somehow claiming his office is not part of the Executive Branch so as to avoid Executive Branch regulations.

Let's just think about the implications of this statement for a minute.

If Cheney is not part of the Executive Branch, then what authority does he have over those who really are? A lot less than he has claimed in the past, that's for sure.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I think you may be on to something, Padouk. Think of all the govt. agencies that can now tell him to go pound sand.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I can think of one that would might have really liked to do that in, say, early 2003.

Not in the Executive branch. Who knew?

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"would might" is like, a cutting edge term. All the cool kids are using it.

Really.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I was under the impression that the office of vice president has little authority. Any influence the VP exerts is based on the incumbent's personal integrity and moral suasion.

Posted by: Boko999 | June 22, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Would might...All this time I thought they were saying wood mite...now everything makes sense.

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to add the horse laugh.

Posted by: Boko999 | June 22, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

One small victory for man over stubborn nuts and bolts: The brake shoe adjusters finally broke loose and are now adjustable.

I love my hammer.

The dang thing still won't come apart, but it's only a matter of time... just a matter of time, I say, before that rusted metal gives in to my steely will and rudimentary knowledge of applied physics.

(cue the Tim Allen pirate/ape grunt)

I will prevail.

Or I will throw a hissy fit (and some wrenches, for good measure).

Posted by: martooni | June 22, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd heard the WH claims that the offices of PotUS and VPotUS are not part of the Executive Branch.

Someone please wake Thomas Jefferson that someone's parsing the meaning of Article II Section I of the Constitution: "The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America."

Or get The Man in Joel's basement to comment on that...

Posted by: bc | June 22, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. Boy, go to sleep for a day and I miss rabbits AND the importance of Russia to WWII. Ah well. I've never eaten rabbit, or even frolicked with one, though I owned a guinea pig once (no, I didn't eat it). I still remember reading about the siege of Stalingrad when I was in high school.

Good luck on the brake, Martooni, and looking forward to that (5).

Congratulations, bad sneakers, on the job.

Don't lets get carried away now. If Darth Vader's office isn't in the executive branch, we may not be able to impeach him. Hey, I bet he planned that.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 22, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I have bright pink fake Crocs, and I just inherited the Boy's blue version. For a while we wore them interchangeably but his feet are growing, while mine are not. I'm sure real Crocs are even more comfortable, but the fakes are comfy too and much much cheaper. I only wear them in casual settings and never with socks.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 22, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

What about the names that Hillary calls other people? I understand that she has some choice names for her dearly beloved husband Bill... ! And he for her..."The Warden". Hillary calls her Secret Service Agents her "personal, trained pigs."

How many people in the USA want THEM! back in the White House? May God have mercy on the USA! Wasn't eight years of the co-presidents, "Billary", more than enough?

Hillary's "Unfit for Command" (Joe Klein) and she's unworthy to become the next president of the USA!

Vote for Edwards, vote for Obama, vote for anybody but Hillary!!!

HILL NO! SHE'S GOT TO GO! TM

www.hillnoshesgottogo.com

Posted by: hillnoshesgottogo | June 22, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Does the constitution say anything specifically about the VP's office and indeed the VP other than that you need one?

Posted by: dr | June 22, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

martooni, just because the adjusters work does not mean that the shoes are retracting from the drum. The wheel cylinder/pistons could be frozen, for example.

Please practice safe tool throwing.
It *is* theraputic, so please find a safe tool throwing range to avoid an inadvertent ricochet hurting an innocent bystander.

Posted by: bc | June 22, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Martooni,

Been meaning to post this but cannot find the original source, so here is the paraphrase:

Starting over may very well be one of the most important aspects of human nature. Most animals, when confronted with hard situations, may respond by 1) either fleeing or 2) learning to be helpless. (From the book _The Spirituality of Imperfection_)

I applaud your humanity. Start over, even if you need to do this until the cows come home

We all applaud you and the hard work. You remind us all to keep starting over.

Posted by: College Parkian | June 22, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

The only mentions (that I recall) in the constitution about the VP are succession if the prez is incapacited or removed from office and how a new VP is selected if he is removed, incapacitated or resigns.

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Should I thank CP for the inevitable Lennon tune cootie that just surfaced?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

For the VP to claim that he isn't in the Exucitive Branch and hence can't be regulated is like a man who just performed a botched appendectomy claiming that he can't be sued for malpractice because he's not really a doctor.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 22, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, yello, your 12:05 was a scream *wink wink* but enough's enough, doncha think?

It just occured to me that if VPOTUS isn't part of the executive branch because of his legislative duties, then...he works for Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. Yanno, this could really work out!

Martooni, have you tried a squirt of WD-40, followed by, say, a half pound of C-4?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, He also must meet the eligibility requirement of the presidency (12th amendment). The rules for selecting a new VP if that office is vacant were established in the 25th amendment in 1967. Prior to that the office of VP was vacant 16 times (some for nearly four years), because of the death of the president, 7 the death of the VP, and once when John Calhoun resigned to become a senator.

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

that's 8 times because of the death of the prez...

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

for instance, when Roosevelt died the office was vacant for three years nine months and eight days (if my math is correct).

Posted by: omni | June 22, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The VP is also the President of the Senate and casts a tie breaking vote. I suppose the Speaker of the Senate is in charge of its administration.

Posted by: Boko999 | June 22, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Boko, that very question was just on that 5th Grade trivia show.

CP, you didn't mention the third option 3) attack with tooth and claw. This has generally been my approach to vehicle and home maintenance, which has the salutary side effect of keeping the honey-do list very short.

Posted by: SonofCarl | June 22, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I've been meaning to look this up for some time, but martooni often makes me think of the new(er) Joe Walsh song, One Day at a Time:

Well you know I was always the first to arrive at the party,
Oh and the last to leave the scene of the crime.
Well it started with a couple of beers,
And it went I don't know how many years,
Like a run away train heading for the end of the line.

Well I finally got around to admit that I might have a problem,
But I thought it was just too damn big of a mountain to climb,
Well I got down on my knees and said Hey,
I just can't go on living this way,
Guess I have to learn to live my life one day at a time.

Oh yeah, One Day at a Time.
Oh yeah, One Day at a Time.

Well I finally got around to admit that I was the problem,
When I use to put the blame on everybody's shoulders but mine,
All my friends I use to hang with are gone,
But I hadn't planned on living this long,
Guess I'll have to learn to live my life one day at a time,
It was something I was too blind to see,
I got help from something greater then me,
Now I have to learn to live my life one day at a time.

We're off to the country house for the weekend. Enjoy the Nats BPH!

Posted by: Raysmom | June 22, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Wasn't eight years of the co-presidents, "Billary", more than enough?"

Well.. to be honest... no.

Posted by: TBG | June 22, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Zackly, TBG.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | June 22, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

FYI, I posted a guest kit by Michael Corones, an editor at dot.com.

Posted by: Achenbach | June 22, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I always thought that it had to do with recognition: rather like the "We like Ike" buttons they have from elections past at the museum?

Posted by: sailorsue | June 22, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Test: sadism

Testing sadistic sadism with sadomastic sarcam.

Posted by: Bob S. | June 23, 2007 12:13 AM | Report abuse

"sarcasm"

Anyway, "sadism" wasn't the problem in the C.P. post earlier.

Posted by: Bob S. | June 23, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse