A Guest Blogger Against Guest Blogging

First, an admission: Guest bloggers suck. For any regular blog reader, clicking on one of your bookmarked sites only to find that its writer has needlessly -- selfishly -- traitorously! -- decided to take a vacation is like showing up at a restaurant to order your favorite meal only to find that the dish has been taken off the menu. Sure, seared tuna with wasabi-butter sauce might be tasty, but it was the meatloaf you were jonesing for. (Yes, I realize that I just compared Joel to yesterday's reheated beef dish, but trust me: Where I come from, that's a compliment.)

Well, believe or not, it's happening to you today. Joel "Benedict Arnold" Achenbach has left the building, possibly even the District. He's gone. Probably to a beach somewhere. Most likely in France.

So you're left with me, Rob Anderson, proprietor of another washingtonpost.com blog called The Editorialist. I'll be holding down the fort today and tomorrow. Relevant info: I spend the majority of my day trolling Web sites; I work from home, sometimes wearing pants, oftentimes not; I was, at one point, Joel's student at Georgetown University. My work has been featured on the Achenblog before. If need be, you can reach me here.

So here we are, you and me, stuck in the monotony of our regular 9-to-5's as Joel the Jetsetter cavorts somewhere along the Riviera. Let's discuss the predicament in which he's left us:

You don't want your days' guilty pleasures to be tampered with, whether it's that first sip of Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee in the morning or the Web sites you read while you're supposed to be working all day. Happening upon a guest blogger sours your routine. It's like discovering too much melted ice in that coffee. (Sidenote: I just discovered that Dunkin' Donuts has an entire Web site dedicated to its iced coffee. It says the coffee can't get watered down because they "double brew" it, whatever that means. Yeah, and I "double brewed" that analogy, too.)

But it's not just that guest bloggers disrupt your routine. We commit an even graver sin: The very idea of a "guest" blogger undermines everything a "regular" blogger should be. A great blogger is the opposite of a guest -- he is a host opening up the inner workings of his brain. Blog posts usually have little in common with polished, well argued pieces of journalism like this -- and that's exactly why we love them. They are often raw, logically inconsistent and candid. We disagree with them. We scoff at them. We find typos in tehm. While editorial pages are stiff, blogs are pliable. While news stories strive to be impersonal, blogs don't.

Which brings us back to the guest blogger. Readers are right to be skeptical. After spending so many days learning the ins and outs of one blogger's brain, and liking what you've discovered, why would you want to go for an abridged tour through someone else's head? Is it even worth it?

So I offer my sincerest apologies to the boodle -- if I may be so bold as to use that term -- and my harshest criticisms of Joel. I feel your pain, readers, and I'll do my best to alleviate it. If only Joel cared half as much.

-- Rob Anderson

By Rob Anderson  |  August 16, 2007; 8:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Power Tool Cure
Next: Can You Hear Me Now?

Comments

Mercy, two days in a row first?

Posted by: Raysmom | August 16, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Rob, I think Joel might have failed to mention that we largely ignore what he has written. We'll comment briefly on what he's written, then go our merry way.

I've never fancied iced coffee.

Slyness, congrats on the dishwasher. Sorry I miss the mo fly-by last night. Mudge, you might want to accessorize that with a tasteful strand of pearls. *faxing oxygen and a temp assistant to the too-busy Scotty*

Posted by: Raysmom | August 16, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Rob.

Liked the typos line.

More silly commentary on that later...

Reposted from previous Boodling:

Good morning, all.

A busy day ahead of me, but I'm checking in to say hi.

Dooley, thanks for the update from Lima, hopefully martooni will hear from his people down there soon and know that all is well for them.

A thought: I wonder if we read all the seismographs all over the world over the past couple of weeks (which have been quite busy from manmade and natural activity) and correlated the input into a timeline, I wonder if it would tell us anything. Might be as simple as morse code, saying something like "ALL OF THIS WORLD IS YOURS TO USE EXCEPT THE ARCTIC SEA FLOOR. ATTEMPT NO FURTHER LANDINGS THERE. USE THE WORLD TOGETHER. USE IT IN PEACE. OR ELSE. AND I'M NOT KIDDING" or, "CHENEY'S NEXT."

bc

Posted by: bc | August 16, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Also, good journalists can disarm a discombobulated Boodle with one hand tied behind his monitor. Well done, Rob Anderson.

Posted by: Yoki | August 16, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Your comment almost brought a tear to my eye, Yoki. Thanks.

Posted by: Rob Anderson | August 16, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Hi Rob! In spite of your snarky comments (excellent, BTW), we welcome you to the wonderful insanity that is Achenblog. (See bc's 8:49.)

Posted by: Slyness | August 16, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

What's this? A coup de Boodle???

:-)

*gladly accepting the oxygen and assistant before resubmerging in the morass known as work*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 16, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

The latest on the earthquake in Peru:

I hope we can get humanitarian aid there quickly.

Posted by: Slyness | August 16, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Duncan Donut's swill's hardly coffee to start with, double brewed or not. That stuff is good only when there are no alternative within the same zip code. And keep that ice and frappucino flavor away from my "noir bien serré" thank you very much.
So Joel will be back offering umbrage for the taking to the gallic crowd soon. That should be fun.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 16, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

bc,
Didn't James Cameron already make that movie with the waterfaced CGI refugees from CE3K?

Rob,
Welcome to the monkey house. I never drank coffee until someone figured out you could put ice into it. It's even better if you blend it up into an over-priced, highly-caffeinated milkshake. That makes it worth at least FourBucksâ„¢.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"Klaatu barada nikto," bc, "Klaatu barada nikto"!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | August 16, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Domestic Use of Spy Satellites To Widen
Law Enforcement Getting New Access To Secret Imagery

The most worrisome excerpt:
"giving law enforcement officials and others the ability to view data obtained from satellite and aircraft sensors that can see through cloud cover and even penetrate buildings and underground bunkers"

So watch yourself, what happens in the bunker may not stay in the bunker anymore...

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 16, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Rob, "holding down the fort"?

Have you SEEN this place? For Pete's sake, don't TOUCH anything, nevermind hold it down. It's likely enough to collapse under the weight of its own anarchy as it is.

Achenbach in France. As if.

Also, fellow hosers: thoughts on Harper's cabinet shuffle (and yes, we'll stipulate to the theory that it's little more than putting lipstick on a pig, but...)?

Posted by: byoolin | August 16, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

byoolin for a cabinet shuffle to be effective the ministers would have to actually be able to do/say something without Harpers approval. O'Connor to Revenue still trying to figure that one out.

Welcome Rob.

bc thanks for the mention of the arctic, nothing like a bunch of nations trying to cash in on global warming - I do not see this ending well.

Posted by: dmd | August 16, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Also want to do my Canucki duty and mention the passing of Sam Pollack.

Posted by: dmd | August 16, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Shriek, it seems to me that the shuffle merely proves how shallow the talent pool is. Could have used some new blood (Diane doesn't count, really -- she is MP for my riding and you can imagine our interactions!).

And dmd is quite right; control-freak PM would need to loosen the reins on ministers for them to do what they are charged to do.

Plus ca change, you know?

Posted by: Yoki | August 16, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, if you haven't already read this you might enjoy, it is Kady O'Malley blogging about the shuffle, from live blogging the swearing in forward - very amusing.

Posted by: dmd | August 16, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Tee hee. Scottynuke said "morass."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Apologies, byoolin. Not Shrieking, you.

Posted by: Yoki | August 16, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Just trying to demonstrate to the guest FauxKit Blogger the high level of sophisticated commentary we are used to around these parts.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Also, the temperature just dropped 9 degrees in the last 20 minutes, the wind has picked up, the sky has gotten gray, and the radar map shows a large yellow blob over NoVa headed this way. I may need to go find my rubbers.

Question: does taffeta spot when it gets wet?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Well, I don't know about this guest blogger kid. I mean, sure, Joel has had the chance to review his work and teach him the finer points of journalism in classes and all that; but, still, can he measure up to the necessary high standard? I mean -- why didn't he ask one of us? Like, for instance, me. We work for a surprisingly low rate (free) because it's still better than real work. Frankly, I feel personally slighted. Insulted. Hurt. Also, the first time that I recall ordering Dunkin' Donuts coffee (the hot kind -- keep your refrigerated swill to yourself, thank you) the guy asked if I wanted milk and sugar. I said "Sure" but instead of allowing me to control my coffee formulation, he dumped in enough milk to feed a calf and enough sugar to reconstitute an entire sugar beet. When I protested, he was shocked: "What? That's milk and sugar, you said you wanted it." The idea of "just a little bit" was alien. So, I'm not a great fan of DD coffee. But I like the apple-filled donuts.

Posted by: ScienceTim | August 16, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Shall we have weather, weather, weather, oh please. Take moment to imagine rain oh lush reviving rain here and down Cassandra's way.....

Posted by: College parkian | August 16, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Rob, that was a very clever metakit. (Is that a word? Well it is now.) I remember your earlier guest kit and enjoyed it. Also, I must admit I never perused "The Editorialist" before now, but plan to in the future.

Of course, part of your premise is that we residents of the boodle understand Joel's brain. Alas, I fear we do not. True, now and again we catch a brief glimpse of what goes on in there, but the prudent look away.

There are some things humanity is just not meant to know.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

DD does make a very nice Dutch crumb donut, Tim. And generally I like the coffee, too (and yes, you're right: gotta be hot. None of that iced swill. Iced tea, yes. Iced coffee. No.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

This new writer person can sure make sentences and stuff.

I'm just passing through. Hope y'all are doing well.

Posted by: Bayou Self | August 16, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

A morning storm, Mudge? No fair, no fair at all!

Yes, taffeta spots very badly, so be careful! You may want to send your lady's maid out to get lunch, instead of going yourself.

Posted by: Slyness | August 16, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Mudge -- I shall insist that you stand outdoors now, in taffeta. I shall join you, momentarily but I must pour myself into a pale pink taffeta gown that was worn at the wedding of one of Lea Iaccoca's daughters. No, silly peeps, I wasn't there but costumers have special ways of attracting to themselves former prom and wedding wear.

Taffeta DOES spot. And we must, Mudge, do what we can to bring on rain. Car washing has not worked. Get the outside, oh Audrey Mudge-burn. Forthwith!

Posted by: College Parkian | August 16, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

SciTim,
I'm taking umbrage as well. I'm just as capable of linking to two or three firewalled WSJ articles as Joel is.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Kady's good. But I miss Feschuk, if only for the inevitable name-calling whenever he describes the Prime Minister.

Posted by: byoolin | August 16, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps someone linked to this when Rob earlier guested, but:

To all of us for whom the Internet is our home!

I'm voicing a suspicion here that Joel is trying to move us all to take over *The Editorialist* and leave him to new boodlers, presumably ones who would stay on track.

Very nice kit, Rob. Now if you just bump up the linkiness a little . . .

Posted by: dbG | August 16, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

CP,

Don't bring up carwashing. Very sore point with me. Car washing has been banned in HoCo all summer while some mysterious waterline upgrades are made and now we are in a drought despite the current Sky Report to the contrary. This has put a huge crimp in our band fundraising efforts and we have to resort to, the horror, selling frozen pizzas.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

In my opinion Duncan Donuts coffee is a delightfully smooth brew. On those days when I don't want to make my own (because, as I may have mentioned in passing, I don't get free coffee) I go to our Duncan Donuts. Often, though, the crushing line of bureaucrats all jonesing for a bear claw discourages me and I go to the Starbucks. But I think DD is the best. And not just because they sometimes slip me an extra Munchkin.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Slyness,

It's clear to me that your dishwasher and fridge had a closer relationship than you realized, and the dishwasher bravely gave it's life to be sent to the same landfill.

These circuits are related to the "critical need detector" which will go off when you have one piece of equipment fail and roll up an identical piece as a replacement. In such a situation the critical need detector in the 2nd machine will go off and cause IT to fail as well, having determined that you really really need the thing.

It's unknown how the exact mechanism works or why, although it's been suggested it has something to do with their overall lack of union representation.

Posted by: Error Flynn | August 16, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

*raising head above cubicle wall, a la prairie dog*

Bayou Self? Where???

*quick Grover waves before continuing to amuse 'Mudge by again submerging in the morass*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 16, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Mudge has planted two seeds in my peanut of a brain.

1: When I first read the word "FauxKit" the 'x' was silent. The resulting word sounds rude, but I like it.

2: Three words: Wet Taffeta Contest.

Posted by: byoolin | August 16, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh I forgot: Welcome Rob!

Posted by: Error Flynn | August 16, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

More bad news from China. It's hardly pork for dinner there:

CHENGDU, China, Aug. 9 -- A highly infectious swine virus is sweeping China's pig population, driving up pork prices and creating fears of a global pandemic among domesticated pigs.

Animal virus experts say Chinese authorities are playing down the gravity and spread of the disease and refusing to cooperate with international scientists.

So far, the mysterious virus -- believed to be an unusually deadly form of an infection known as blue-ear pig disease -- has spread to 25 of this country's 33 provinces and regions, prompting a pork shortage and the strongest inflation in China in a decade.

More than that, China's past lack of transparency -- particularly over what became the SARS epidemic -- has created global concern.

"They haven't really explained what this virus is," says Federico A. Zuckermann, a professor of immunology at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine. "This is like SARS. They haven't sent samples to any international body. This is really irresponsible of China. This thing could get out and affect everyone."

There are no clear indications that blue-ear disease -- if that is what this disease is -- poses a threat to human health.

On a local note, NBC's Today program sent reporter Don Teague to Corpus Christi to report on Tropical Storm Erin, as did several local San Antonio stations send their reporters to the seawall there. But it was calm, not raining--Dullsville. Gov. Perry even sent emergency responders there.

All the activity--and by that I mean copious amounts of rain--is occurring to the northeast of Corpus, in a huge semicircular counterclockwise swath, cutting across most of I10 from San Antone to Houston. There was even a Doppler-indicated tornado near Goliad earlier this morning. Our local ABC weatherman Steve Browne said lat night on the 10 p.m broadcast no local threats of tornados with this tropical storm. Ha!

We know that it's going to get plenty wet here for the next 48 hours. Flooding a distinct possibility. But the real jitters locally are about Hurricane Dean churning and gathering strength near the Lesser Antilles. Local metro columnist Carlos Guerra alerts readers to potentiual problems should another hurricane like 1999's Hurricane Bret hit. (It formed just about the time we were underway to Floyd's Knobs, since our first night as "residents" in the Knobs was in a nearby Motel 6 on our Aug. 19 wedding anniversary.):

But let's also understand that today, South Texas soils are pretty soaked. Let's also hope that Erin doesn't veer too far south, because it might deliver the heaviest rainfall in a Lower Rio Grande Valley that has seen unprecedented development since its last big storm, and whose levees are in disrepair.

Most important, let's understand that far more important than a storm's size, the position of its eye and the intensity of its winds is the rainfall it delivers -- and the tornadoes and related rainfall it can trigger, sometimes, hundreds of miles inland.

Oh, and did I mention that last week, the International Boundary and Water Commission released a study reporting that none of the four dams on the Rio Grande is completely safe, and that the risk assessment for one -- Del Rio's Amistad Dam -- is categorized as "URGENT (Potentially Unsafe)?"

Welcome back, Rob Anderson.

Posted by: Loomis | August 16, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm LOL at your 10:07, byoolin.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Rob,

You're a former student of Joel's and have been doing your WaPo blog since February and the first time Joel mentions you is when he needs someone to fill in while he goes to the spa for a three day chocolate truffle mani-pedi. That's quite the mentor you have there. I'd think twice before he does you any more favors by doubling your workload.

Just sayin'.

(Are my sour grapes showing?)

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

yup, rained in bethesda (were in a gap in the storm right now). Looks like all of merlin and nova will be wet very soon. CapCam shows the Cap is wet. I need more caf...

Posted by: omni | August 16, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Duncan Donuts--is that the Scottish version, or a string of franchises owned by a Scot?

Posted by: Loomis | August 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Thank the FSM we have kept our Minister. He has been briefed on complicated stuff and going over the same process may have driven our DM (deputy Minister)and ADM (assistant DM) even battier than they already are. O'Connor had an impossible task that is now on McKay's desk. I'm not surprised that a potential opponent of Stephen "The Grip" Harper is now the proud owner of the tar baby. Politics at his best.
IM not so HO the Afghanistan situation will not be be resolved in one government mandate, it will be a multiple years process. Things are getting better out there, (Finally! after almost 6 years! 3 more than the US involment in WWII!) it's not time to quit. If the US would finally get on with the NATO program instead of going along on its own it could even go a little faster...

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

O this is great. This is fantastic.
I'm communicating via the high speed connection at my sister's place while I dog/house sit. O joy. 2 second refreshes on the boodle and I can't believe how fast nature film loops download.
If the boodlers would please repost all the links to audio and video files they have submitted over the last two and a half years I'll be able to access them.
Take your time, I have some Paris Hilton research to finish.

Blogger's brain?

Posted by: Boko999 | August 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Fierce rain here in Greenbelt right now.

Posted by: ScienceTim | August 16, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Excellent catch Loomis. Duncan Donuts indeed!

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I think I was thinking Duncan Hines. Or is that Dunkin' Hines?

I'm so confused.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Boko -- you are very funny. Start with SD's garden images of yesterday. Can you make such a Cupric Trellis? Frosti, the husky-lugging Boundary Waters chick, can.

You may like these mermaid images that poke fun at Starbucks. Here is the backstory behind the logo and wake of mer-peep sorrow:

We had a discussion a while ago, about when the Mermaid, ehem, featured her sea-puppies.

(I believe that puppies as a metaphor is sanctioned by the Song of Solomon. But as a card-carrying RC, I don't know my bible well.)

I, like RD, tend to like my coffee proletarian-style, but at home I spike it with Medaglia D'Oro.

It is an Italian thing. Mangia.

Posted by: College Parkian | August 16, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Skywatch - Brief morning shower this morning, now clearing up into be what looks to be a nice day.

Posted by: Kerric | August 16, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, take a look at my post in the last kit. Either our brains have similar wiring (I'd be very afraid if I were you) or I've been hanging around here too long. And yes, byoolin's thought did occur to me, too.

Posted by: Raysmom | August 16, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Rainius interruptus in CP....ScienceTIM -- wish harder, please.

Mudge, back outside now.

Posted by: College Parkian | August 16, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Duncan Heinz: The cake made of ketchup. (You'll relish it!)

Posted by: byoolin | August 16, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Boko999 - be warned. Once you've ridden the high speed train, it's hard to go back.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. Hey, Bayou Self! Welcome, Rob Anderson, nice apologia! I only drink coffee to be sociable and can't for the life of me understand why you'd drink anything BUT iced coffee in this kind of heat. I really like those coffee slushy things (granita? Davio?) sold by fancy coffee shops. I do wish y'all would stop talking about donuts. I haven't had a good donut in a long time, and one sure sounds tasty. While DD, Krispy Kreme, and Daylight are all good, what I really miss are Shipley's chocolate filled donuts from Houston. They had some kind of chocolate icing filling that was just decadently sublime.

RD, the Shakespeare company here is doing Macbeth this month and the reference to Duncan Donuts seemed perfectly natural.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 16, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

Rob... your description of your work day has given me a tune cootie: "Nice Work If You Can Get It"

Just heard from my Dad... apparently my brother and his family are okay in Lima. They had some damage, but nothing serious.

Anyway, now that I know my closest relations are still in one piece, I'm off to install a screen door for a neighbor, then back to the fairy door factory to play with power tools.

Peace out...

Posted by: martooni | August 16, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh, ugly words for you people who are getting rain! It's supposed to be 101 here today and we were within 3 points of having Code Red air yesterday! No friggin' fair!

Yes, EF, you are doubtless right about my old refrigerator and dishwasher. The fridge was 15 years old and working, just getting to elderly status. It was white and did not match the stainless steel of the other appliances. The dishwasher was an Asko, installed when we remodeled in 2000. It must have forged an affinity for the fridge I just didn't understand. When its pump went out and the only repair folks in town who work on Askos couldn't make an appointment for seven working days, I said to heck with it.

Posted by: Slyness | August 16, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Duncan Donuts - the much awaited Highlander/Simpsons mash-up. D'oh!

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

CP - I keep meaning to pick up some of that Medaglia D'Oro. It sounds like a handy thing to have at home. Instead of seeing my wife add hot water to the coffee I brew (whilst knives come from her eyes) I could always just augment a more modest brew. Wow. Good coffee *and* domestic tranquility. I never thought it possible.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

When the regular babysitter isn't available, before Dear Child can start to whine, I remind her that new babysitters don't know all the rules of the house yet, just the standard rules that apply everywhere (no hitting or biting, say please and thank you). Is this comparable to a guest blogger?
By the way, the blogger is responsible for picking up all the toys. We're allowed to play ball in the house, we get two stories before bed, and we're allowed to have as much ice cream as we want.

Posted by: LostInThought | August 16, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

LiT,

No, a guest blogger is much more akin to a substitute teacher. The game is to get away with as much as possible.

Rob,
Joel always lets us use italics and blockquotes. Go fix that or we'll say that you have been trying to sneak looks up 'mudge's prom gown.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I started the Duncan Doughnuts goof, to everyone's surprise I'm sure.
Someone actually opened a Duncan Donuts store a few years back, with Dunkin taking great umbrage at the matter.

Boko, looking at my pictures on the slow connection will take longer than cross the Champlain bridge and get the tour. Not that I am giving tours.

It is a bi-capital shower, we have much needed rain falling down right now in the Other Capital.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 16, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

When I was in college a local donut shop used to feature these enormous sugar donuts sliced open and stuffed with fresh local California strawberries. I dream of them still.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, temp dropped 18 degrees, tho' it only rained for about 5 minutes here. Sky getting a bit lighter.

I misspoke myself earlier; it isn't Dunkin [sic] Donuts who has the good Dutch crumb donuts, it's the Mister Donut chain.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"trying to sneak looks up 'mudge's prom gown." ~shudder~

Thanks awfully for that image yello.

Posted by: Kerric | August 16, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, even *I* want to rip my own eyes out over that one, yello.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

SD - I hadn't even noticed that you wrote "Duncan" before I did. My goodness, you clearly have a great power of suggestion over me. Please only use it for good.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 16, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

A science-aside on the Peruvian earthquake:

I have a friend who is a tsunami expert, so I emailed him last night to see if we was going to Peru (and maybe needed help.) He replied that the computer simulations of the earthquake they ran last night indicated that the tsunami generated wouldn't be much more than 16 cm high, so he wasn't planning to go.

A few hours later, I read a news report indicating that the tsunami was less than 10 inches (25.4 cm for the metrically-impaired.)

These guys have gotten GOOD with their simulations!

Posted by: Dooley | August 16, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

YJ...my experience with substitute teachers is minimal (I cut a lot of classes in my day), but I always viewed classes with substitutes teachers as an opportunity to try out new pranks.

Posted by: LostInThought | August 16, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Iced coffee? AKA cold brown water.

Posted by: omni | August 16, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

rob! jack sent me the link to this, and i was overjoyed not only to read it, but to waste time at work while doing it. :)

awesome job... and to think i once took a gtown poetry class with you! :)

Posted by: helen | August 16, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

'It says the coffee can't get watered down because they "double brew" it, whatever that means.'

I beleive that the proper teminoligy is "coffee-flavoured coffee", not to be confused with coffee-flavoured coffee-coffee. That requires three brews and a new coffee machine when you are done (you would think by now they would make a coffee machine that could withstand coffee inside of it, but you'd be wrong... I was;) )

Posted by: Kerric | August 16, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Boodle
We had a tstorm this morning and then a steady rain. I sort of slept through it. 1.5 inches and we will take more. I checked the 10 day forecast and Sat- Tues highs only in the 70's.

I think Dunkin Donuts coffee is the best and I feel the same way about their donuts as opposed to Krispy Kreme. Most new DD are opening with a Baskin Robbins right in the same building. Maybe I will try a donut with a scoop of my favorite ice cream right on top.

CP, I hope you are getting some needed rain today.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 16, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

SCC: TerminolOGY

Obviously I need a cup of coffee-flavoured coffee-coffee

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, Rob. The Editorialist looks interesting.

re: coffee. yellojkt, a local Vietnamese place serves basically an espresso over ice - do they do that in Vietnam?

SciTim. re: guest kits. How are your guitar lessons coming along?

Posted by: SonofCarl | August 16, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

In my family the powder-sugar coated doughnuts filled with "fruit" jelly are called snot doughnuts.
This is an obscure reference to the excellent Christmas movie Scrooged, in which Walter Matthau matter-of-factly stabs such a doughnut with a straw, socks the jelly through the straw and offers the doughnuts to Bill Murray: "Here you go, you can have it now that I have removed the snot from it" or something like that. Witch no.2 recently got a doughnut offer from her Grand Ma. She requested a snot doughnut, any flavour. GM then entered the Tim Horton's and ordered a "snot doughnut/beigne à la morve". Hilarity ensued. GM was not amused.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 16, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. byoolin and I just finished watching the second season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" a couple of days ago.

We plan to adopt the Larry David method of ordering coffee in a $tarbuck$:

"Give me one of your latte bullsh** flavours."

Posted by: byoolin | August 16, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Who knew Canadians could be so aggressive regarding their snacks and beverages? Goes against the stereotype.

Posted by: Yoki | August 16, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh, SonofCarl, I almost forgot iced Vietnamese coffee -- hot, individually-brewed strong coffee and condensed milk stirred and poured over ice. I love that stuff. Okay, now you've got me wishing for a donut and Vietnamese coffee and it isn't even lunchtime yet. Thanks, Boodle.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 16, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, Linwood Barclay had a funny article about no longer holding doors open for others when he enters Tim's. Anywhere else he will gladly do so, but not at Tim's - there your place in line is the first priority even over stereotype. :)

Posted by: dmd | August 16, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

*sitting in back row but waving hand in air wildly to get substitute teacher's attention*

Hey, Mr. Anderson! Mr. Anderson! It's 11:30. Mr. Achenbach sometimes let's us go to lunch early on Thursdays. Can we go to lunch now, huh, huh, puhlease, huh? I wouldn't kid you about this, really. I swear, it's OK with Mr. Achenbach! You can call him and ask. Huh, huh, Mr. Anderson?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 16, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Believe it or not, our substitute teacher has given us a new assignment. New kit!

Posted by: Raysmom | August 16, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

It's stopped raining in Ottawa and the radar is clear. That means I can change the hoses on the pool filter and pump as soon as I finish installing the new drapes on my sister's patio doors and dining room window. At least the rain has relieved me of the plant watering duty so there won't be a repeat of last year's tragic die off.
It's a good thing dogs can ask to be topped up. Stupid plants.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 16, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse