Most Hyped Congressional Hearing Ever? [Updated]

Petraeus-Crocker will start their all-week national briefing today at 12:30 at the House, and go all afternoon and then pop up on Fox tonight. Senate testimony is tomorrow. Mike Allen of The Politico gives you the full run-down of what promises to be National Petraeus & Crocker Week. I'll add transcript excerpts to the blog later today.

Mike Abramowitz covers the hearing:

" The long-awaited testimony this afternoon of Gen. David H. Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker, once seen as a potential turning point in war policy, seemed more like an exercise of kicking the can down the road."

Some excerpts I fished from Federal Document Clearing House:

Petraeus:

... Two weeks ago, I provided recommendations for the way ahead in Iraq to the members of my chain of command and the Joints Chiefs of Staff. The essence of the approach recommended is captured and it's title: "Security While Transitioning: From leading, to partnering, to overwatch."

... I'm going to be up front. You know, none of us want to stay in Iraq forever. We all want to come home. We all have days of frustration and all the rest of that.

But what we want to do is come home in the right way, having added, I guess, to the heritage of our services, accomplished the mission that our country has laid out for us.

... we are not going to kill our way out of all these problems in Iraq. You're not going to kill or capture all of the Sadr militia any more than we are going to kill or capture all the insurgents in Iraq. And in fact, what we have tried very hard to do is to identify who the irreconcilables are, if you will, on either end of the spectrum, Sunni and Shia, and then to figure out where do the reconcilables begin and try to reach out to the reconcilables.

Some of this is a little bit distasteful. It is not easy sitting across the table, let's say, or drinking tea with someone whose tribal members may have shot at our forces or, in fact, drawn the blood -- killed our forces.

We learned a bit, in fact, about this from my former deputy commander, Lieutenant General Graham Lamb, former head of 22 SAS and the director of special forces in the United Kingdom. And he reminded us that you reconcile with your enemies, not with your friends. That's why it's called reconciliation.

And he talked about how he sat across the table from individuals who are former IRA members who had been swinging pipes at his lads, as he put it, just a few years earlier. That was quite instructive for us.

I've never seen a congressional hearing hyped so intensely. This is a hearing that's been on the calendar for, what, six months? "Let's wait until we hear what Petraeus has to say in September" has been the White House mantra.

Sometimes I wonder if hearings are mostly for show. Call me crazy.

From the Style section, January 1993:

'In Washington a hearing can break out at any moment, like a pickup basketball game. A congressman walks into a room, sees a long desk and a microphone and FPPPT! suddenly there are people testifying.

'Hearings have become so popular, so oversubscribed by the public, that lines form outside committee rooms and bike messengers are hired to wait for hours from the crack of dawn so that big shots can slip into place at the last minute.

'Nothing actually happens. Nothing is ever in doubt. If, for example, the confirmation of one of Bill Clinton's Cabinet appointees were at risk, the real politicking would be behind the scenes, not at the actual confirmation hearings. Once in a while there will be a big revelation at a hearing -- say, Nixon aide Alexander Butterfield's disclosure that presidential discussions of Watergate were captured on secret Oval Office tapes -- but most hearings are set pieces, with everyone performing a previously scripted role. It's a school play, dull, dutiful, but with a feeling of great achievement at the end.'

Here's the summary of the recent GAO report on Iraq.

Via Scarecrow at Firedoglake, here's the New Yorker story on the various strategies for withdrawing from Iraq. The writer, George Packer, previews Petraeus-Crocker:

'...their testimony is likely to be unremarkable. Administration officials, military officers, and members of Congress described their expectations of it in strikingly similar terms, and a few said that they could write it in advance: military progress, a political stalemate among Iraqis, more time needed.'

More:

'The media have largely followed the Administration's myopic approach to the war, and there is likely to be intense coverage of the congressional testimony. But the inadequacy of the surge is already clear, if one honestly assesses the daily lives of Iraqis. Though the streets of Baghdad are marginally less lethal than they were during 2006, sixty thousand Iraqis a month continue to leave their homes, according to the International Organization for Migration, joining the two million who have become refugees and the two million others displaced inside Iraq. The militias, which have become less conspicuous as they wait out the surge, are nevertheless growing in strength, as they extend their control over neighborhoods like Ahmed's. In the backstreets, the local markets, the university classrooms, and other realms beyond the reach of American observers or American troops, there is no rule of law, only the rule of the gun. The lives of most Iraqis are dominated by a complex array of militias and criminal gangs that are ruthlessly competing with one another, and whose motives for killing are more often economic or personal than religious or ideological. A recent report by the International Crisis Group urged the American and British governments to acknowledge that their "so-called Iraqi partners, far from building a new state, are tirelessly working to tear it down."'

Just glanced at the story on Clausewitz I wrote when I first got to the Post:

[Col. Harry] Summers experienced a famous moment of Clausewitzian irony. In 1975, on a negotiating mission to Hanoi, he said to a North Vietnamese colonel, "You know you never defeated us on the battlefield."

"That may be so," the other colonel said. "But it is also irrelevant."

Let's throw the book at 'em:

"Military power is essential to our security, but if the only tool is a hammer, pretty soon every problem looks like a nail. We must use all the tools of U.S. power -- including foreign aid, educational assistance and vigorous public diplomacy that emphasizes scholarship, libraries and exchange programs -- to shape a Middle East and a Muslim world that are less hostile to our interests and values."

Boodler blogging:

Here's yellojkt on frisky geezers.

And bc on football.

Columnist Steve Outing responds to A-blog ankle-biting.

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 10, 2007; 9:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Frisky Geezers
Next: An Endless War

Comments

where is everybody?

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 10, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Hi LA lurker.

Sure is quiet around here.

Posted by: ac in sj | September 10, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

the generally scripted nature of hearings is especially true in this case. i'm very cynical that nothing will change, or if the dems try to do something, they will screw it up.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 10, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

hey ac, whassup?

i'm sure those ole geezers will get over hear in a moment.

:-)

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 10, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

i think i'll go get my coffee.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 10, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Everyone must be working too hard or something.

Posted by: ac in sj | September 10, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

You are supposed to warn us, gol dangit (insert best geezer voice).

Posted by: dr | September 10, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

guess so.

and now that i have my coffee, scc: "over here"

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 10, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm here...and I had just posted something on old geezers! Oh well, onward....

Posted by: Kim | September 10, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

oh hey, dr!

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 10, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

dr, I watch the CBC show last night as well, my kids were with me but the little one kept asking questions I couldn't answer. Explaining the earths core to a 6 year old is tough. The photography of Georgian Bay was beautiful. CBC has a great section on their website devoted to the series.

Now to read the kit.

Posted by: dmd | September 10, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

and hey kim.

i was too lazy to go over to the ole geezer blog to get you folks. just slow moving in the morning before my coffee. can't spell or nuthin.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 10, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I have to get going, but before I go I must mention this: my Mr. Stripey has 5 tomatoes on it!

I'm not expecting any bombshells (so to speak) from the hearings, either.

Posted by: ac in sj | September 10, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The Canadians were standing on guard for thee LA Lurker. Both dr and I posted a new kit warning.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 10, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Ignore the hyperbole of the title. This is the clearest, most concsise exposition of the religo/political landscape in Iraq I've read. It was written by Scott Ritter, ex-marine, ex-weapons inspector.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Will this week's hearings make any difference in US policy in Iraq? I wish they would, but I'm not holding my breath.

Only 497 days till January 20, 2009...

Posted by: Slyness | September 10, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

WaPo over the weekend (I'm too lazy to search) had a bunch of pretty graphs showing that all the standard metrics of progress like hours of power and megawatts generated have been pretty flat.

If our goal was to create a friendly democratic ally, we have been fooling ourselves for a long, long time. You can't get there from here.

If our goal (as I think it was) was to commandeer an oil rich nation and reprime the pump while letting the skim off the oil revenue pay for reconstruction, we have failed miserably.

If our goal is to keep people from killing each other as much as they want to, well, that is the spin we are taking as being a success.

Those goalposts have been moved so often, you can't even see them from the stadium anymore.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 10, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Jackson Diehl's opinion piece in the Post seemed a good description of what's going on, except perhaps, that it doesn't mention the lawlessnes and misery. At least the electricity works in American neighborhoods run by (or contested by) gangs.

Ritter seems to overdo the Shia-Sunni split. Al-Azhar University in Cairo teaches both Sunnia and Shia law and Egypt, while Sunni, has a long Shia history. The nastiness in Iraq seems a bit like the horrific 1844 anti-Catholic riot in Philadelphia.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | September 10, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I fear that the cadre of journalists that have made the point that: 1) the administration has changes the focus of the debate AGAIN, in the absence of a coodinated campaign by the opposition to counter the administrations position; and, 2)the administration will use the hearings to beat the opposition over the heads in order that the electorate that pays attention to conservative media outlets will start running about in circles bellowing "Pansie" or "Soft on terror...Soft on terror" every time someone from the opposition opens their mouth.

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Thus endeth one of my best run on sentences.

...and now for something completely different...a bad day south of the border...

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I'll grant LA and ac in sj a break. Its early out there, and they were looking for coffee.

Shreiking, its what we do (stand on guard for thee and all).

Posted by: dr | September 10, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Dave, I think both you and Ritter are right.

When life is peacefull divisions between religious sects, ethnic groups etc. might be there, but they don't matter to much. People just go ahead with their live.

But in a crisis situation as in Iraq these ethnic, cultural and religious differences take on a whole new level of importance.
You start only to trust your "tribe", since the danger comes from the outside.

Posted by: Eurotrash | September 10, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

DUH. I meant to add that the cadre of journalists I referred to are probably right. *silently considering that returning to bed to attempt a do over would be a good alternative*

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Halllooooo...halllooooo...halllooooo....

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, jack. I guess you and I are the only ones not watching the hearings.

Posted by: Slyness | September 10, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

A month or so ago I was hopeful that the Petreaus report would be the nudge the Repubs needed to break with the administration and start bringing the troops home. Silly me. The General is just another lap dog for Bush. I don't feel well enough to get as upset as I would normally.

Eurotrash, you have a very good point about the divisions between the sects. I enjoy your take on things, nice to hear a European point of view.

My head hurts from thinking, I'm going back to bed. Hope to find an old Law and Order rerun from when Fred's face had a few thousand less sags (wow does he look awful without makeup or what?).

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | September 10, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I reckon so, Slyness. We went to Yiasou this weekend. It was packed to the point where it seemed to have lost its charm, compared to 10 or 15 years ago. The spoils of growth in the Queen City, I suppose. *sigh*

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

There are TVs scattered here and there in the building, and they all seem to be showing the hearings...

The various House reps are giving their opening remarks, but the audio must be broken -- all I hear is a muted trumpet going "Wah wa, wah wa wa wa, wah WA wah..."

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 10, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

awesome!......we'll make decisions based upon blogging quotes that are grossly generalized and reflect NO feet on the ground experience. validation? verification? who needs that? the first priority is to ensure we get back to bethesda every night safe, sound and detatched.

man o man...the Post truly does have contempt for its audience!

Posted by: lmao | September 10, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Kim's story about her dad is worth a re-boodle.

Boko, thanks for the links. I am happy to hear ee cummings in cyperspace.

DR -- I, like you, seem to be happy at the time that I am at. I gave up running when my knees began to sound like rice krispies (cite due to Ivansmom for the perfect metaphor). Knitting now; knitting in my house into my nineties, if I follow the pattern of all grandparents.

Being around young people in all their shiny glory is an invitation to not compete, but to be something other.

Posted by: College Parkian | September 10, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Did a staffer for Sen. Inhofe really, really complain to Steve Outing about climate change?

Eurotrash, it seems that the battles in Philadelphia were between nativists and immigrants, not to mention the city's large free black community. The 1844 rioters burned the city's largest Catholic church, including its large theological lilbrary assembled by the Augustinians.

Nativism in Pennsylvania seems a bit of an odd idea, since the colony was multi-cultural and multi-language from its very beginnings.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | September 10, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

observers

Posted by: omni | September 10, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I just noticed that tomorrow is Patriot Day and that today Petraeus is demanding we need more time. No doubt that Two Minute Hates will be instituted shortly.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 10, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Listening to ABBA and still catching up on backboodles. Yoki, I'm afraid to inform that Mudge's 8/31 10:53 is still missing closing parenthesis. bzzzzz.bzzzz.bzzzzz

Posted by: omni | September 10, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

ooops, posted to soon.

Posted by: omni | September 10, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Ahem.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

About that "bc on football" link Joel added to the Kit, I should note here that it is actually the product of several Boodlers, not just myself:

Error Flynn, greenwithenvy, and LostInThought wrote sections of it as well.

And as you'll find out, it's not just about Football, but about Football as a metaphor for life.

Really.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 10, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

omni, you know that 'Mudge would never leave us without that crucial closing parenthesis for so long! Me, I'm just glad he shows himself as a mortal from time to time.

Posted by: Yoki | September 10, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

well...jack...you must admit....seldom...if ever...does ANYONE from the Left actually participate in the dirty work. soft on terrorism is a natural and inevitable leap to make.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Excellent work, bc, EF, and Mostly. LOL. And I don't particularly like football!

Posted by: Slyness | September 10, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Bad Sneakers - I hope you feel better soon, those 'flu bugs are awful.

I don't think of Petreaus as a lap dog. I just don't think it's surprising that a military man who has been charged with a certain mission of this magnitude and complexity that hasn't been successful is likely to report it as a failure. I feel sure that he thinks he can be successful. More troops, more time, more money, etc. But really, how many of these "the next six months are critical" reports and assessments have we had now? How can one more drop of blood be justified by the situation as it exists in Iraq? Why on earth would anyone think that catastrophe won't occur whenever we get out...6 months, one year, 20 years? It's all so very, very depressing.

CP - thanks for the nod.

Posted by: Kim | September 10, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Slyness.

Er, the third Boodler isn't Mostly(lurking), it's LostInThought. And her segment reflects her handle quite well, I thought.

Please feel free to leave a comment over there, we appreciate the feedback.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 10, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

So is 2:49 post person the head of the CIA or something?

Posted by: Kim | September 10, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

And of course greenwithenvy.

And thanks bc, but I think I come across as more ADD than LiT.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 10, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry, LiT, I wasn't focussed as I should have been. So nobody explained to you that Gayle Sayers wasn't a girl? Shame on them. Although I'm sure it would have been devastating at the time.

Posted by: Slyness | September 10, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The period of time equivalent to "the next six months" has been officially designated as one Friedman Unit because Flat World Tommie has been predicting the next sixth months to be critical since about April of 2003.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 10, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Trying to be on-kit but cannot! But the Friedman Unit of Time reminds me of Teacher Units of Time: A year equals nine months, approximately from September to May.

Summer school is the Recovery Unit of Time for Teachers, typically spent making money by painting houses, etc.

Posted by: College Parkian | September 10, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I knew GS wasn't a girl. What's worse, as a child, I was the Italian version of Olive Oyl. (Still might have some of those characteristics, but who would tell me?)

Posted by: LostInThought | September 10, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

LIT, thanks for correcting my botch re. greenwithenvy.

I liked his use of the nickname "World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum."

bc

Posted by: bc | September 10, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

bc and company, I thought you all did surpassingly well. Good job all around.

Although I may have been reading your dissertation too fast, bc, but did you not accidentally skip past the Ritual of the Parading of the Vestal Virgins, whereby each team brings onto the Sidelines of the Alter of Worship an assemblage of scantily-clad Virgins, who as an act of ritual sacrifice have given up their last names, and possess only first names such as Bambi, Amber, Kandi (rare alt.: Candy), Teri, Shana, Shawna, Shaynah, Shushaynah, Shashunah, Shusheenah, Sheena, Sasha, Tyler, Morgan, and Mitzi? and that it shall be the duty of these worthy Virgins upon the sidelines to put aside their worldly weekday professions such as elementary school aides, social workers among the poor and downtrodden, paralegals, and U.N. peacekeepers in order to exhort the mass worshippers in the stands (pews) to greater heights of ecstatic worship? And that said Virgins shall keep themselves pure of body and spirit (all except those two from the Carolina team who were kissing each other in a bar a couple years ago, a display of religious apostasy and blasphemy I personally found so disgusting and perverted that I hung up a picture of it over my garage workbench, all the more to remind me what a truly awful thing they did to descrecrate and dishonor the Holy Game)?

But as I say, I was speed-reading a bit, and so may have missed it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

One hundred and ninety-nine posts to catch up on remain. All the same, I'm calling it a day.

Posted by: omni | September 10, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I just can't be excited about these hearings. I believe that, despite the possible good intentions of some or even all participants, they're window dressing. We already had indications that Petraeus would say things are mainly working and he needs more time and not any significantly fewer troop number. We've already heard from two independent reviews which dispute both points. We already know that despite a pretty clear mandate Congress has been unable to win anything given the administration's determination to stay its own course. I no longer feel completely unrepresented; since Congress changed I feel that my voice has to some extent been heard on this issue. However, I don't expect that will change anything.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 10, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

bc et al., I enjoyed the disquisition on Football very much, and I don't even like football. Ivansdad is a Cowboys fan and very happy today. Don't begrudge him his victory, though, as there are many sad game days at our house.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 10, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. D. still tends to think on an academic calendar, even though she's been out of the public school system for over a year. I still lapse into it from time to time.

Just started a new blog on paleontology:

Posted by: Dooley | September 10, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, as I was writing this, I've compiled enough notes and ideas to write a book.

Honestly.

I don't call them Vestal Virgins, I call them the Sideline Sisters of Mercy.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 10, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

And they take a vow of.....?

Posted by: LostInThought | September 10, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Pulchritude.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

And never to appear on the Jerry Springer Show.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Would their patron saint be Ste. L'Oreal or Ste. Maybeline? Perhaps St. Bowflex?

Posted by: LostInThought | September 10, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Ste Botox. And Our Lady of Peroxide.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

The whole thing is a dog and pony TV show. UNREALITY!

Posted by: ghostcommander | September 10, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

But I liked yours, too, LiT.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Their vow.....to look surprisingly good even through the worst weather....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 10, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Back in the day, I lived down the road from Tampa Bay Mall next to the Big Sombrero. We ate at the food court plenty of nights and dancers from the Swashbucklers Squad were ALWAYS there. Those gals don't look nearly as good from the line for Sbarros as they do on the 20-yard line.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 10, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

And in the skimpiest and most revealing clothes.

Posted by: Slyness | September 10, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

> "I don't call them Vestal Virgins, I call them the Sideline Sisters of Mercy."

I thought they were called hookers.

My bad.

Anybody up for a road trip to Vegas?

Posted by: martooni | September 10, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Yello, yello, yello. Hasn't anybody explained to you what happens to anybody who disparages the pulchritudiotomy of the Vestal Virgins. Perhaps it may be true that one or two of them are not quite up to your high standards. Nevertheless, one does not say so out loud, lest one offend the Gods of Football up there on Mount Canton. And then you're in deep doo-doo, boy.

Posted by: Curnudgeon | September 10, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

For some strange reason Pakistan seems to have deported Omar Sharif to Saudi Arabia. Me, I always thought he was terrific in Dr. Zhivago.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to know if there's a St. Sweetness.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 10, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

dant dant dant dannt...less then 2 hours to Gametime!! I like this 7pm kickoff for MNF. I think it is setup with old geezers in mind.

Posted by: purplewithenvy | September 10, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

LiT, look in the mirror.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Mudge. Really. I'm totally flattered.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 10, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I must have offended the Queen at around 2.38. Sheesh. *scratching my left cheek thinking of an appropriate reply*

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe it was the King. Regardless, at least the left believes in open government to the extent that they won't invoke executive privilege every time information that could shed light on the questionable decisions the administration has made in the past five years.

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Jack, I have a suspicion you meant the anonymous poster at 2:49, not Yoki at 2:38. Ya had me a bit baffled there for a while.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Too exhausted to back-boodle (Ivansmom would agree that lawyering can be a contact sport and when one gets to my age (and Mudge's), it be exhausting).

Just read that Jane Wyman died. I was wondering if she were still alive. Guess not anymore. Man, people are dropping like flies lately.

Gonna go hide under a bush. Nah, need to eat dinner first.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | September 10, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

FYI, FTB, Wyman was Ronald Reagan's first (and best) wife, and mother of the late Maureen Reagan and Michael Reagan, who didn't get along with his father. And a pretty good actress (the deaf mute rape victim in Johnny Belinda).

Jeezey-peezy, the headline/topic over on the On-Parenting blog says: Breast-feeding Is Obscene." I wouldn't want to venture into that blog at the point of a gun. I'd expect tonight's Ravens-Bengals thug match to be less violent.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Those people are crazy, Mudge. I breastfed and it wasn't obscene. When I was in public, I covered up with a baby blanket. At home, nobody could see me anyway!

It's just sooo much easier and cheaper and better for mother and baby to breastfeed. Of course, I was fortunate enough to get to stay home for almost six months. That does make a difference.

Posted by: Slyness | September 10, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

All day meetings through Wednesday, so I won't be boodling much. Which is a shame because I have discovered an ideal way to solve global warming, ensure a peaceful Iraq, and put them 'Skins in the Superbowl.

Bummer I won't have time to describe it.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 10, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Did I say something offensive in my mid-afternoon post?

I'm really shocked at the breastfeeding backlash. I would have thought it was so mainstream by now as to not cause a single bat of an eyelash, even by geezers or old coots. Gosh, when I was feeding in the mid-eighties it was less of an issue. I mean, honestly, once one is adept what is there to object to? Nothing is *on show* and babies have to eat, right?

The only time I felt like #1 and I were making a spectacle of ourselves was in the mall in Pointe-Claire, Christmas shopping with my mother. *She* was so sensitive to any hint of embarrassment that she was hovering around with blankets and snow-suits and heaven-knows-what, obviously shielding something. Much more conspicuous than me just cuddling my baby close.

It is funny to refer to #1 as "my baby" now that she is graduating from University and living with the (current) love her life.

Posted by: Yoki | September 10, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

If I understand things correctly, the point of contention in the current breastfeeding debate is whether or not a breastfeeding mother should feel obligated to "cover up" at all. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the debate is being stolen by extremists.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 10, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, 'Mudge. I thought I had the post time correct. It was anonymous that threw that barb. I geeked. Again.

I don't know what all the fuss about breast feeding is about. The women I've seen caring for their children, including my wife, have always been discreet. Too many women have been discriminated against for caregiving in my book. What you said, RD.

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

>Which is a shame because I have discovered an ideal way to solve global warming, ensure a peaceful Iraq, and put them 'Skins in the Superbowl.

Is this the hell freezing over plan?

Posted by: SonofCarl | September 10, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Yoki -- not your post, the anonymous post after it. But, nothing seemed wiggy about that post really.

Noticed a silly commercial today advertising local cable here in Maryland: punch line is

Get the whole Kit and Kaboodle.

(I think that the word might be spelled as caboodle in some quarters?)

Like Yoki and others here, I nursed three progeny sequentially between the years of 1984 and 1994 or so (big break between two dots and one dude!). NEVER was anything said to me ever! Shall I list the places?

UMCP classrooms
UMCP library
Metro
Metrobus
playgrounds
malls
grocery store
church
PTA meetings
museums
amusement parks
restaurants
Swimming pool ground/deck
two bars (Cis' Foremost; Greenwood Inn)
Orioles games (two, I think)
4th of July concern lawn S. Capitol on several occasions
public fireworks display

No one was flashed; nothing revealed; most never knew what was up!

Babies fed; babies quiet; to the contentment and peace of all.

Final note: never nurse in a bathroom stall, which, apparently, is where the objection crowd believes this "untoward activity" should take place.

Think on the germs. Think on the Mr. C from Idaho incident. Yeah, right, the public restroom!

Scree complete. You may now return to Congressional analysis or football. You choose.

Posted by: College Parkian | September 10, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

My clause misleads!

Like others, I nursed in public...otherwise, I imply that Yoki and others nursed a specific set and numbers of babies, etc.

Sigh: never write and post in a passion.

RD is right, re the extremists. When did the extreme poles take over the country, our culture, our discouse!

Posted by: College Parkian | September 10, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Given that the Ravens are really the Browns, I'm hopeful they'll sent the Bengals to their rightful place in football hades.

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

FYI I added a few excerpts from Petraeus testimony.

I guess I should watch him on Fox but I'm watching the football game and I may just ... you know ... stay the course.

I hope and pray that someone will be up at 5 a.m. EST to watch the U.S. play North Korea, and give us a report. I predict a high-scoring shootout, a real barnburner, an offensive explosion, with the U.S. winning by a score of 1-0.

Posted by: Achenbach | September 10, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Just general BTW, I normally dislike most Nike ads (and Nike itself), but they just played a Nike ad on the Bengals game that my son and I both like; he likes it because the theme music is from Last of the Mohicans (I like it too, for that matter). And I like it because of the way they cut the ending--just a split second before the ball breaks the plane of the goal.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Joel, I get up about 5, but I'm not sure I'm gonna watch. But I do know this: I want to have Hope Solo's love child.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I remember one time at Potomac Mills I was nursing one of my wee babies and an elderly fellow sat right down next to me, nodded hello and began to read his book while his wife shopped. He had no idea what was happening about a foot away.

Posted by: TBG | September 10, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

TBG, excellent!

Heh heh, CP said "scree" when she meant "screed." I'm so happy, as I so often feel inadequate among ologists of many sorts and even more, CP who is an English Prof (my highest ambition, never realized!).

I am *not* SCC-ing someone else, just celebrating typos because I am so very, very familiar with them.

Posted by: Yoki | September 10, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

My son refused to nurse unless white noise was present. I kid you not. I am convinced that had it not been for the existence of our electric carpet sweeper the boy would have starved.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 10, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Joel, bc, you guys there? Jeez, that was one trainwreck of a football game. I don't think I've every seen a game like that, nor a final 3 or 4 minutes. It sure wasn't "good," by any means: 7 turnovers, and the Ravens had 8 plays inside the 5 yardline and couldn't do it. And the Bengals, who have at best a mediocre defense--and were 0 for 18 inside the 5 in their previous history -- hung in, didn't quit, and finally won it. Man, my adrenaline is so high I won't sleep for an hour.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 10, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

M'sia and Bn are Sunni Islam countries. If you practise Shiite Islam, you are practising deviant Islam and the gov't will throw you into a detention camp indefinitely without trial. They'll try and brain wash you but if you don't let yourself to be brain washed, your chance of being released from the camp is very slim.

In Iraq where hatred between the 2 sects has been passed down from so many generations, there is not going to be peace for many future generations whether the US is there or not. In a gov't where Shiites have greater representation, they'd have to be fair to the Sunnis in every way but that's not going to happen because Saddam Hussein (a Sunni) had made too many Shiites disappeared. Revengeful feelings run deep and long. All this is without the meddling of Iran. I maybe holding a very pessimistic view of the situation in Iraq but when you call each other deviants for so many centuries and the heads of state/religion are not making any efforts to make peace, you are not going to have peace.

Posted by: rain forest | September 10, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

hears "blah blah "inside the 5 yardline" blah blah blah "7 turnovers" blah blah.

I might sleep! One more thing I cannot and will not worry about!

Posted by: Yoki | September 10, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I love the wisdom of rainforest. Thank you dear friend.

Posted by: Yoki | September 10, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Totally off topic, unless one considers tomatoes.

Beautiful site, beautiful beads, wonderful quotes & silver graphics. Check out the size comparison page. :-)

Posted by: dbG | September 10, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Yoki: My apologies for citing your post. Would the chocolate pie recipe make amends?

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Mudge I'm bummed, I thought we should of just run it in?

Still an exciting game with Great hitting.

We will be alright if we could just hold onto the pig.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 10, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

dbG, great site. Love the quotes - and the sizing comparison is a hoot! Nice kitties, too.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 10, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Cool, dbG. My wife's friend makes her own silver jewelry, earrings and pieces suitable for a necklace, in a similar manner. My wife prefers silver to gold and has amassed quite a collection. We have a jeweler in Wilmington that does a lot of custom stuff for us, from whom I have a couple of surprises in store for Christmas.

Posted by: jack | September 10, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Cute quotes.

I'm a gold lass myself, and I was admiring a pair of earrings made with various colors of gold the other day, the gold under glass looked almost like opal, only more brilliant, and with cute blue flowers inset. I wish I knew the name for such types of earrings-- it was from Sachkewstan or Alaska, I think.

Posted by: Wilbrod | September 10, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"Waving off the independent reports, Bush plans to stay the course and make his successor fix his Iraq fiasco." -- Time

Actually that maybe the one thing I agree with Bush on. . . . . . PLEASE! George, let someone else do it -- someone with some brains, like Clinton.

Since Iraq is destined to be a close ally to Iran when Bush's War is finished, this question needs to be asked: . . IS THE IRAQI GOVERNMENT KEEPING AMERICAN IN THE FIELD AS A FAVOR TO IRAN??

Posted by: Coldcomfort | September 11, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm all moved into my new place. I've never been so pooped in my life. Looks like I'm not going to be a frisky geezer.

My place is monkey free! It has a fairly big compound for my dogs to run around but first I'll have to pull out all the prickly sensitive plants. The compound is 1/3 lalangs and 2/3 crab grasses and sensitive plants. There are some cow grasses here and there and I hope they don't get squeezed out by the crab grasses and sensitive plants. There's a rambutan tree too. Neat.

Posted by: rain forest | September 11, 2007 12:56 AM | Report abuse

An instructive example from history: The Russians reconciled with the tribesmen in Afghanistan. It took a while - two steps back, one step forward - but finally the mujahedin said, over sweetened tea one day, OK, let bygones be bygones. Essentially.

My point: You dont hear Pashtun fighters railing against the Soviets. And that is real progress, folks.

And what I was, what I was going to say, is this. It is that the same will happen in Iraq. The Sunnis and the Shias will meet and reconcile. And then they will call us into the room and thank us. For overwatching.

It is not like we are a bunch of louts like the Russians. We play by the American way.

Of course people are still dying in Iraq. It may seem like poor taste to slobber all over a general at a hearing. But dont forget that this is a real live ROMAN general we are slobbering over. He makes Maximus look like wet parchment. And he's in our corner.

And, well, if anyone has learned anything from history it is the Romans.

Posted by: rikken | September 11, 2007 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Bc, I bit my mouth guard and read your blog on pro football.

Seems like LostinThought has borne valuable witness to the spirituality and morality of football.

So, I think I'll bet on Sodom to win over Gomorrah in the Super bowl by 14.

Posted by: Wilbrod | September 11, 2007 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Wewease wikken!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:56 AM | Report abuse

Rambutans! I am so jealous. I ate those everyday when I was in Vietnam. Truthfully, I couldn't tell the difference between them and lychees, but I just loved eating such punk rock fruit.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 11, 2007 6:07 AM | Report abuse

Huh, I served in Iraq and I didn't get any fruit except dehydrated. What a place. I'm biting my lip here, but those people deserve to be broken and owned!

Posted by: john | September 11, 2007 6:17 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Yoki, I'm laughing at your 10:43. I humbly apologize for speaking in tongues. Your interpretation of what I'd written is probably correct: blah blah blah. At least you made more sense and were more coherent than one or two of the posts that followed. No names.

Off to jump in the shower and start my day.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 11, 2007 6:39 AM | Report abuse

2-2 USA - N. Korea, great match, ESPN2. 90th Minute but lots of stoppage time.

Posted by: Achenbach | September 11, 2007 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, LOL. Since you are so prescient, I'll bet your way.

Morning, everybody. Should we have a discussion of where everybody was when they first heard the news about the World Trade Center.

No, let's not.

Posted by: Slyness | September 11, 2007 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all.

Rain forest - I'm glad to hear you're settling in. Very interesting links. I love the names for the shy plant. I hope that your place is cobra free, as well as monkey free. I've never gotten over the cobra in the back yard story of yours.

I think JA must be an Olympic caliber multi-tasker. I do not know how he keeps track of all this stuff. Is there a girl Friday or an Alfred that is constantly feeding information about almost everything? I'm just glad I'm around to pick up a few of the tidbits.

Posted by: Kim | September 11, 2007 7:13 AM | Report abuse

bc, I read your football blog as well and realy enjoyed it. Lit's post was something I could relate too, growing up I was taken to football games early (tickets to Boko's arch rival team :-)), my brothers games, Sunday spent watching the NFL, and throwing the ball to my brother so he could practise his catches. Through high school a career in professional football was a dream, I think as much to get back at those who said a girl could not understand football as a desire to be involved in the sport. Much of the interest has waned but I can still throw a pretty good spiral.

CP, thank you for stating that babies should not be nursed in a washroom, when my girls were young I remember some people getting upset about mothers nursing in restaurants, a few patrons found that disgusting. Their idea was that the mothers should either not bring the baby, or nurse in the washroom. The logic of that always escaped me.

Posted by: dmd | September 11, 2007 7:14 AM | Report abuse

That's because logic wasn't involved, dmd.

:-)

*quick Grover waves while adjusting my SCUBA gear before submerging in the morass of work*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 11, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

coldcomfort...you are amusing..."someone with brains....like Clinton"...that rectal orifice is the one who was asleep at the wheel during all the events that led up to 9/11. HE IS RESPONSIBLE.

Posted by: return to reality | September 11, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Today's Post story on green school buildings is a bit discouraging in that there's a lot of decaying school buildings that could use replacing, while in Florida, there seems to be a consensus that school buildings should look like the cheapest possible medium-security prisons. Certainly without windows. The whole idea is to have a defensible perimeter.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | September 11, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

It's September 11th, and while I take a few moments to reflect on the events of this day in 2001, I also note that the world still turns. Children are growing up. Wars are being fought. We consider the events of the day and say something about it here in the Boodle (and thank goodness for that).

Thanks for all the kind comments about the Football items in the 10thcircle.

Mudge, I'm with you; that Ravens/Bengals game had some spectacularly ugly moments. Three Ravens turnovers in the first quarter - mainly in their end of the field - and the Bengals can only make 9 points out of it.

I think there were some bad calls by the High Referees at the end of the game, too.

Sheesh.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 11, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

*waving*

Hee hee, some people get stuck in the (false) past. When a clear reference to a presidential candidate is mistaken for one to a former president, you just know that this person forces every bit of information through a very tiny frame.

Posted by: Yoki | September 11, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I see cousin Sarah Jane Mayfield (Jane Wyman) died yesterday.

Bombarded by bat guano Sunday night in Austin. I wouldn't have missed the experience associated with it for the world. Left Austin yesterday and missed by several hours Elizabeth Edwards at Bookpeople. Tired, with much to do today.

Posted by: Loomis | September 11, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

Slyness... I was halfway through composing an email to my coworkers announcing the pending arrival of Little Bean when the planes hit. After hearing what happened in NY, DC and PA, I hit "send" anyway. Sometimes you just gotta force good news down people's throats.

dmd... anyone complaining about a breast feeding mother is either jealous or retarded (or both). Then again, there are those mothers who go out of their way to make a spectacle of feeding their offspring... "LOOK! I'm feeding my kid and all I had to do was stick a boob in her mouth!". Otherwise, I have no problem with it.

And Joel is watching soccer? And still getting a paycheck?

Dang... I should send an application to the WaPo and see if I can get a piece of that action.

Mudge says they need proofreaders. Right up my alley. I'm very good at pointing out others' mistakes.

Posted by: martooni | September 11, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

That Scottynuke gets morass than anybody. He's swimming in it! And getting paid, to boot.

Posted by: tee-hee | September 11, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

*rising from the morass in a fair imitation of the Creature from the Black Lagoon*

So that's where these neat boots came from!

*re-submerging with an extra burst of bubbles*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 11, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya, martooni. It's good that you had good news during that sad and terrible time. Thank heavens, bc is right about the world just keeping on.

Posted by: Slyness | September 11, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The Gemstones are ammolites, wilbrod. Here is a little of the scientific stuff but down at the bottom are pictures.

Posted by: dr | September 11, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh gosh... it's so nice to hear the steady patter of rain falling this morning. It's like I can hear the yard saying "ahhhhh."

Posted by: TBG | September 11, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't know much about gemstones, but the Gem Society's website is pretty rough when it comes to geology and paleontology. For example, they got the formula for calcite wrong, and then there's this:

"One of the most prolific of its inhabitants was the ammonite that thrived in every ecological niche, from deep-water bottom feeders to jet-propelled predators. It also had the biggest brain of its age. "

Ammonites were squid (related to the nautilus.) Biggest brain of it's age? Maybe by mollusk standards--I'd certainly put the octopus up there with the average executive branch lackey. But I don't think they were as brainy as the marine reptiles that were eating them.

Posted by: Dooley | September 11, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

BTW Dooley, can you repost the new website/blog, I missed it.

Posted by: CB | September 11, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Re. breast feeding.

I never understood what all the fuss is/was about. It's natural, it's good for the child, women are typically discreet about it, what's the big deal?

Sometimes a breast is just a breast.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 11, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

No fair, TBG, no fair!

Posted by: Slyness | September 11, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Kim, I hope my place is not only cobra free but snake free. So far I haven't seen any undesirable creatures except for the annoying geckos. They are running rampant. With all the noise they are making, they might be having a football match.

Posted by: rain forest | September 11, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Dooley's post reminds me of an old New Yorker cartoon: Two huge dinosaurs are foraging for food and one exclaims, "Look! Honey! Peas the size of our brains!"

Posted by: TBG | September 11, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I grew up in the age of bottle-feeding -- you know, the "modern way" -- and have no memory of noticing any breast-feeding in my vicinity. I am told that I, myself, was breast-fed for a while. Shockingly, I have no memory of this time.

In my youth, I led a sheltered and anti-social existence and thus was totally unprepared when a very attractive and desirable acquaintance had a baby and I went over to visit and see the new baby. Babies are a type of organism with which I had had nearly zero experience up to that point, in my mid-twenties. We were having a nice visit and I cooed over the little beebums, until she got hungry and her mother did the sensible thing -- released that breast from her clothing and put the little one in place. Um, where do I look now? My purpose in being here is to see the baby. But the baby is on a breast. Do I look like I'm scrutinizing her breast when I look at the baby? Am I *prone* to scrutinizing her breast if I look at the baby now? Am I some kind of deranged sicko who hungers after every bit of female pulchritude I see? OMG, I'm a monster!

I'm over all that stuff, now. Flaunt your milk-engorged breasts, ladies, and slap that baby into position! I can handle it.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 11, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

All this talk about breast feeding reminds me: it's almost lunch time.

What?

Frisky old geezers get hungry, too.

Posted by: frisky old geezer | September 11, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I only know ammonites from their lovely colours in stores, and the lone ammonite I saw way back in the geology building before I dropped that class. I always wished I'd taken it, though.

Posted by: dr | September 11, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

But, dear bc, a breast is always a breast!

Dooley, thank you for the detail. Earth science is the orphan subject in high school, which is a shame since rocks, well, rock.

I like tanzanite and own a small ring set with this blue-lavender stone. I would love earrings to match but with the bike helmet on-off routine, I tend to lose ear bobs!

Rainforest -- your post last night sobers but helps me understand. Good luck with the lawn, dogs, and now geckos!

Yoki, so early in the morning. You go great with coffee.

Posted by: College Parkian | September 11, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

10:59 was NOT me, I swear it on my mother's grave.

We've got a sizable colony of Ammonites down here in Southern Maryland. You see them on the road once in a while, riding their buggies and horse-drawn little carriages on the back roads, and going to market, etc. One of them owns a big sawmill down in St. Mary's County, and there's more who run two farmers markets in the area. Not sure I'd know a Tanzanite, though. Do they dress old-fashioned?

Oh, wait...

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 11, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The Tanzanites, I think, mostly immigrated to Maryland when Idi Amin was wreaking havoc in Uganda in the 70s. Didn't want the troubles to cross the border into their country.

Posted by: Yoki | September 11, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, but inside the Beltway we're all Mammonites!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | September 11, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Mammonites...so we're back to breast-feeding again, I see.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 11, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I note the date and I ask the same question I ask every year on this day- "Osama Bin Laden is still breathing and free, why is that?"

Posted by: kurosawaguy | September 11, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

No, no. Tanzanites are the mythical race that live on cruise ships and help tourists that have too much money on their hands.

Posted by: SonofCarl | September 11, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

George Will has had some kind of Road to Damascus event, it seems: "What "forced" America to go to war in 2003 -- the "gathering danger" of weapons of mass destruction -- was fictitious. That is one reason this war will not be fought, at least not by Americans, to the bitter end."

Posted by: Tim | September 11, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Tim- the hubby and I were talking about that this a.m. He seems to have put aside his Republican party hack hat away. I have been amazed over these last few years to read Will and Krauthammer who have basically kept silent about the incompetence and arrogance of this administration.

Posted by: Kim | September 11, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

How many of us will give GW's another chance this week? The poll was stupid, in that you could tell he was sure that conservatives would give all the "wrong" answers (in the World According to Gene) but in fact, most people agree on the fundamentals.

Posted by: Yoki | September 11, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I have a very important question... Is Tim (11:33 am) any relation to ScienceTim (and the other *Tims)?

If not, then please accept my hearty welcome to you Tim! I've enjoyed your posts.

Posted by: TBG | September 11, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

CB, here's the link to the vertebrate paleo blog:

Posted by: Dooley | September 11, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

but what about the boob?

A woman's breast
A fool or idiot
Booby, part of the family Sulidae, a group of seabirds closely related to gannets
Boob tube, slang for a woman's top or a television set

Posted by: omni | September 11, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I've put up a new kit, mostly transcript excerpts of Petraeus-Crocker.

Posted by: Achenbach | September 11, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

kurosawaguy...I don't know....maybe because you haven't personally engaged to solve the problem?

Posted by: yawn | September 11, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

You're all off at the new Kit already, but what the heck:

I am ScienceTim, StorytellerTim, CulinaryTim, HistoryTim, and maybe some others, depending on whether I believe myself to carry some relevant expertise (or if I want to make a reference to the ScienceSpouse or the ScienceKids, which would make no sense if I were not speaking in the guise of ScienceTim).

I am ConceptualTim when making fun of fads in art that require limited-to-zero technical facility.

I am just plain Tim when none of the above specialized criteria apply.

We once had a post from a lower-case tim, but either he never came back, or he changed to another handle. I do not recall which.

I have occasionally been impostured, but that was a long time ago.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 11, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

fuwebytin xngpsyu mudk bmwripyq qxbfplvrd pitwjfqz cyfb

Posted by: xqyzf opdufz | October 29, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

zcuerk pftyv gqlsx cznm jyod dtnriu jtklpqiag http://www.fqgnrzav.wmflpqt.com

Posted by: axov wrsxq | October 29, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

mvbphon ivnr bpchemun pktxb tlzi emvapzku opifrusq

Posted by: muyh htzrfs | December 9, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

xrsiezw hlfxr urzmpa slnmt zqkdepjg bfqxpylm kczd http://www.nghlxdivb.pcwju.com

Posted by: uaqedwzh qiwsyeka | December 9, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse