It's All About Hillary

I know it's unfair but I kept thinking, during the Dem debate last night, of the phrase "Hillary and the Seven Dwarves." (Technically there were only six others on stage, but Mike Gravel was presumably somewhere in the building, possibly disguised as a potted plant.) It was all about Hillary, all the time. The Hillarycentric nature of the event was all the more striking for coming on the heels of a GOP debate in which Hillary was topic No. 1 (she referred to "their constant obsession with me"). It's possible that the great ocean liner that is Queen Hillary took on some water last night, but I doubt it got damaged below the water line.

She does seem to have an instinct for the verbal exit on any given issue. Her paramount goal is to avoid getting trapped. But the constant focus on Hillary may have elevated her in a way that her rivals didn't intend.

She's like Hulk: When you make her mad, you just make her stronger.

The Incredible Hilk!! That almost works.

Edwards in particular seemed determined to mortar Clinton from her political flank, saying that she won't end the war and can't be trusted in general. As our reporters wrote this morning, he all but called her corrupt. I wonder if viewers (if there were any) found his approach to be less than stature-enhancing (there must be a better way for me to phrase that, but words not my thing).

At one point Edwards said, "If people want the status quo, Senator Clinton is your candidate."

Wow. There is no doubt that Sen. Clinton is very much a candidate of the Democratic establishment and has tried to position herself as solidly mainstream (in the eyes of Democrats and Independents -- she knows that the Far Right will always consider her the distaff Karl Marx). But it is fascinating to observe a process in which the first female frontrunner for a party's nomination -- and poised to be the first woman elected president after, let's see, 219 years by my count of presidential politics -- is painted as the status quo candidate. Go figure.

Obama, meanwhile, was just too much of a gentleman to really hammer the lady to his right. After the all the hype about how he was going to take off the gloves, he still seemed rather gentle. Wonder what his antsy supporters are thinking this morning.

Kucinich is interesting -- the most far-left candidate since, let's see, Gus Hall?? -- while Richardson once again seemed lost in the shuffle and Dodd continued to emphasize the hardly inspiring message that he has experience and is electable. Biden may eventually get traction with that let's-get-real approach -- he's like the uncle with common sense who tells you stuff your parents won't.

More debate punditry:

Andrew Sullivan: "The obvious loser was Senator Clinton. Her constant calculation, careful parsing, avoidance of direct answers to direct questions: all these were reminders of a pure politician. She's obviously capable, extremely intelligent, and so hollow you could almost hear the focus-grouped platitudes echo within her."

Rick Klein and Mike Chesney: "It was almost certainly Clinton's weakest performance of the cycle, feeding the media appetite for a race."

Dan Balz: "Tuesday's debate in Philadelphia shifted the focus of the Democratic campaign from strength and experience to questions of trust and character. The result was the weakest performance Clinton has delivered in any debate this year and a rare instance in which her longer-term vulnerabilities were very much on display."

Reality check: "They just know back there what the higher-ups here tell them. But the higher-ups don't go anywhere, and actually they only go to the safe places, places with a little bit of gunfire," he said. "They don't ever [expletive] see what we see on the ground."

Huckabee at 19 in the latest Iowa poll. Not bad for a guy who's raised about 13 cents so far and hasn't been able to afford more than a couple of plane tickets (coach) into Des Moines. He's the overachiever of 2007.

This is weirdly compelling.

Where next to look for Hoffa.

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 31, 2007; 8:14 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is DC Now More Intellectual than New York?
Next: Kucinich: Space Alien Enabler?

Comments

First?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 31, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

First?

Dangit Joel... I swear whenever I post something you write a new kit.

Better get busy on the next one. ;-)

Repost from end of last kit:

Mornin' all...

RD... your post about trick-or-treating almost made me fall out of my chair (though that could be meds).

Today I get to go to Little Bean's school to watch her in their Halloween parade. She's going as a purple-feathered witch.

Mrs. M. takes her out for trick-or-treating tonight and I get to stay home and give out the goodies. I'll be dressed as a devil-horned pirate in a housedress with steel-toed boots.

Put up a scarecrow in the front yard -- Bean and I had a blast making the Jack-o-lantern head for him. He's wearing a Chinese "coolie" hat and holding a rake. Then I strung up some fishing line from the house to the maple tree out front and hung some wooden bats I made (had to give the postman a heads up).

Anyway, we gots our candy and decorations and I'm looking forward to scaring the bejeezus out of the neighborhood kids tonight when they come knocking.

Peace :-)

Posted by: martooni | October 31, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

doh!

Posted by: martooni | October 31, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"he's like the uncle with common sense who tells you stuff your parents won't."

I had an uncle like that. He's the one who introduced me to cannabis (and God rest his soul, I love him to this day for it).

Posted by: martooni | October 31, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey martooni!!! *apprciative faux screams for the costume and scarecrow*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

JA, how could *you* not make any reference to Kucinich's UFO experience? Maybe you're saving it for your sequel book, "Captured by Democrats?"

I think I have enough vacation saved up to be able to visit the ISS to fix that ripped solar panel, so as long as I can hitch a ride there and back on a Soyuz or the shuttle, it shouldn't cost us taxpayers much.

Though if I have to take the shuttle out of Florida and ride back with the Russians, it's going to be a PITA getting back to my car. And the mind reels at the thought of where my luggage could end up...(I think I'll stick with carry on bag and just wear the Gladiator In Repose outfit while I'm up there).

Happy Halloween, all.
Yes, I'm dressed in all black today (mo, I expect you are, too).

Cassandra, dear, I you made me chuckle when you mentioned that you'd made deviled eggs for your study group *this* Halloween AM.

I love deviled eggs, but that's not a surprise, is it?

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name..."

bc

Posted by: bc | October 31, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Time for ac in sj and bh to reappear on the Boodle and fill us in this morning about the San Jose quake. With all that rumbling and rolling, I bet folks were humming "Do You Know tthe Way OUT of San Jose?"

Posted by: Loomis | October 31, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps my thinking is way off, but if these guys keep beating up on this woman, how is that going to make them look? I mean wouldn't they be better off talking about what they intend to do if elected? It just keeps Mrs. Clinton in the spotlight, and ahead. To me it makes them look rather foolish, and lacking a strategy. I don't want to hear about Hillary Clinton when Edwards or Obama are talking, I want to know what they have in mind. I can listen to her, and figure out what she's talking about.

I don't think Mrs. Clinton needs Edwards' or Obama's help to win the election. From the numbers, it seems they need help.

Posted by: Cassandra S | October 31, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Martooni, please post pics of yourownself in that outfit.

I want to see it.

I thought Richardson came out pretty well in the post-debate spin. Biden may well get some traction, but I keep thinking to myself, "Someone needs to have a frank conversation with him about his hair, and make him get a good cut. A *Presidential* haircut."

bc

Posted by: bc | October 31, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Maureen Dowd questions Obama's masculinity (and not for the first time) in not delivering the knock-out blow to Hillary last night.

More importantly, she spends most of her article cataloging Senator Clinton's cold calculating style and then declaring that is why she is the toughest man in the race.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | October 31, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Morning boodle. High of 66 yesterday, we won't break 45 in the next 10 days if weather.com is correct. Did I get my last outdoor winterizing work done? Of course not. I did get to tutor a 7th grader in math. Her disorganization and slow speed in getting any work done are driving her teachers and parents absolutely nuts, but I'm tempted to tell her she has nothing on Frostdottir. For one, she didn't figure out a way to evade the tutor.

The half dozen kids who find my house tonight will be well rewarded. I have full size candy bars and a grab bag of light up rubber balls and other cool stuff Mr. F has accumulated from technology conferences.

Posted by: frostbitten | October 31, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Is Harold Meyerson prescient in his column this morning?

"Foreclosures aside, more than 5 million homes in 2000 were in wildland-urban interface -- places where homes are near or among trees and bushes that can fuel fires. That number is growing as the state's population continues to swell and new homes continue to rise in the hinterlands. And there's not a single homeowner in the state who can boast that his or her place is immune to a catastrophic earthquake."

Did you hear the news this morning that California's Buckwheat fire was started by a kid playing with matches? (Maybe people just shouldn't build homes along shores subject to hurricanes, or in penisular states subject to hurricanes, or along streams and rivers subject to flooding, or along mountainous slopes subject to avalanche, or in tornado alleys. We should just stay in the bunker permamently.)

Maybe Cowtown can figure out the one place in California that would be immune to a catastrophic earthquake? Devil's Postpile? *l*

Posted by: Loomis | October 31, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I tend to agree with Cassandra--there comes a point where pummeling Hillary becomes bullying and piling on, and I think we're just about there. Every attack now just demonstrates that she's already the nominee, not just the "favorite." (I'm not happy about it, and I'm not a Hillary fan, but that's how I see it. She's close to having a "lock" on it whether I like it or not.)

To some extent the criticism of Hillary that she's dodging issues is valid--but tactically, that's pretty much the correct thing to do. A lot of the campaign questions either don't have answers, or at least don't have answers any sane candidate ought to express. The minute you lay out a detailed plan about XYZ issue, it simply become fodder for everyone else to tear apart, so there's no point to putting a proposal out there.

Also, a lot of the "criticism" of Hillary isn't really "criticism"--it's praise turned on its head. Is being "disciplined" in your message bad? Heck, no. Is being "mistake-free" a bad thing? Nope. Hillary and her crew are running a tight shuip--this is supposed to be bad? No...but it's one of the few things people can complain about.

Iraq is a mess, as everyone knows--but anybody who offers up a plan to deal with it is going to get heavily shelled, not only by the Bushies, but by everybody else on both sides of the aisle. So putting up a detailed, concrete plan to deal with Iraq (or Iran for that matter), is just plain nuts. And it isn't the candidate's fault--we are all the ones who have made it that way.

I thought Biden's comments about Giuliani were terrific, and right on the money. And it's about time all the other candidates stopped focusing on Hillary and started focusing on the "real" enemy: Bush, Cheney, the past eight years, torture, dismantling the government, etc. This election is going to be a referendum on what a lousy job Bush et al. have done, so it's really just a waste of time and effort for the Dems to be picking on each other. (Although of course that's always been the Dems in-house sport of choice.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

As for the fitness advice from the last Boodle, everybody varies, but the effort in walking is proportional to your body weight. My doctor, who is both male and a distance runner, recommends a minimum of five miles a day of walking or runnning (I do less than two on a good day). Once reach that level, weight loss has to come from food habit modification (I hate the word diet).

The old adage "eat less, exercise more" is sound in principle but people love to debate the fine details as if there were a loophole somewhere.

No costume today for me. My is going as a bee. We took a black shirt and sweat pants and then bought a cheap yellow tee shirt. I cut stripes out of the shirt so that the black would show throw. We also bought some kids angel wings that I spraypainted black.

A bunch of other teachers are dressing the same way and they are going to have names like Bee Smart, and Bee Good.

I also dress my dog up like a bee every year. My wife threatens to get him a bulldog costume. I won't have it.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Biden does need a new haircut, but how does a candidate manage that? Can't spend too much, can't change too much in one cut.

This just in-almost all the deer hides in the US (that aren't wasted) are bought by one wholesaler in Wisconsin then shipped to, of course, China. But, if any of you boodlers are going out hunting in what we call Deervember and need a few tips on how to keep your hides sale worthy I'll be happy to post a few tips. (Learning stuff like this is why I don't have time to read the new translation of War and Peace.)

Posted by: frostbitten | October 31, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I imagine that "enobling" is probably the thesaurus-approved word. Although "stature-enhancing" does have a less pedantic air.

Personally, I would have used the term "embiggenish."

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 31, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Happy Halloween from west by god or as we call it Pump-Kin day!!!

WV is down to three finalists for state slogans.
1.Almost Heaven
2.The Mountain State
3.Wild Wonderful
The current slogan is Open for Business which I think refers to moonshine and cash crop.

I personally like West By God Virginia

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 31, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

NYT has the Giuliani camp response [rather nasty in spots] to Biden's remark:

As the pundits work to figure out who won the debate tonight, its pretty clear Rudy Giuliani was the real winner. It is increasingly apparent Rudy is the one the Democrats are most worried about running against in the general election.

Senator Biden's comments were of particular interest. The good senator is quite correct that there are many differences between Rudy and him. For starters, Rudy rarely reads prepared speeches and when he does he isn't prone to ripping off the text from others [Biden's plagarism still haunts?]. And, Senator Biden certainly falls in to the bucket of those on the stage tonight who have never had executive experience and have never run anything. Wait, I take that back, Senator Biden has never run anything but his mouth.

Such a desperate attack from Senator Biden is to be expected considering I -- Katie Levinson [who the heck is she other than Giuliani's flak?] -- have a better chance of becoming President than he does.

Posted by: Loomis | October 31, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I understand that you may hate the word "diet," yello, but I make my living by utterly destroying phrases like "food habit modification" when they raise their awful heads up out of the swamp of government writing. "Food habit modification" gets a round of double-ought buckshot right between the eyes. It stands there in the shallow water, stunned, until its knees buckle and it falls over dead. After a while insects and small critters come out and begin devouring its corpse. I carve another notch on my bic pen.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

That MASH slideshow is compelling. And a little disturbing. These folks are not supposed to age. They are supposed to remain eternally frozen in time, unchanging as if embedded in resin. You know, like Loretta Swit.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 31, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

JA, hate to disagree (actually, not true, I love to disagree, as evidenced (or not!) by this very digression), but "The Incredible Hilk" does *not* almost work.

kerric, just wanted to point out that you were also not first to comment in this Kit.

Has anyone been out looking at 17P/Holmes?

Posted by: byoolin | October 31, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Oh, BTW: yeah, like Bush and Cheney really *needed* to be "emboldened" by anybody in launching the Iraq war. C'mon. That vote may have been a mistake, but it "emboldened" the idiots in the White House like handing Tom Brady a football emboldens him to throw a touchdown.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Off to the west of Ireland this morning. Back Nov. 12. Be good, everyone.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | October 31, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

martooni - You'll be dressed as a devil-horned pirate in a housedress with steel-toed boots?

And here I thought I was the only one.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 31, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

My secret for weight control:

Don't eat the leftover donuts in the main conference room.

I'm thinking about applying for a patent.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 31, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

May the road rise up to meet you, Maggie O'D!!! *waving*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Maggie O'D - I hope you have a great trip! A friend of mine recently went to Ireland for a vacation. He speaks most highly of the castles and the Guinness brewery. But mostly the brewery.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 31, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yes, RD, I will.

But no worries.

I doubt we'll be going to the same parties.

(which reminds me... need to go buy a housedress at the Goodwill store)

Posted by: martooni | October 31, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

26th BOO

Happy Halloween Boodlers all.

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Fascinating article Joel linked to about the super-massive black holes. Black holes so epic in influence that they are occasionally referred to as "Hillaryish."

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 31, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Padouk, your 10:23 is quite excellent.

Have a good time, Maggie. Take good care of those new knees.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

SCC, Just change 26 to whatever number it should be.

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I think this time next year there should be a Boodlers' Ball.

We could all dress up like Andy Warhol and throw italics at each other.

Posted by: martooni | October 31, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

A modest earthquake near San Jose also makes Meyerson look prescient.

I need to visit the west of Ireland sometime, what with Martin McDonagh's plays, "Stones in his Pockets", cocaine smuggling, and those massive remains of past civilization. Do I recall that the Irish traded with the Phoenicians? Seems the Atlantic was a busy place back when the Mediterrranean intimidated its local residents.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | October 31, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

from now my numbered posts will simply be 'Nth'

Ditto Mudge on RD P

Maggie please be sure to hoist a few Guinness for me while you over there in Erin. Have fun.

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Although I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about HRC, I do have a vague resentment of the "entitlement" and "inevitability" aspects of her candidacy. Why does the choice always have to include someone named Bush or Clinton or Kennedy? Nontheless, if she gets the nom, I'll vote for her.
As far as Gov. Huckabee goes, his answer to the evolution question (seems like decades ago, doesn't it?) puts him in the Head in the Sand Nutbag column in my book.
Folks here were talking about the Rolling Stones the other day and Dr. Kurosawaguy reminded me that she saw them on their first US tour in 1964. They opened for Herman and the Hermits- "I'm "Enery the Eighth I Am" etc.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | October 31, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Maggie,
I am so jealous since I have never been to the Old Sod. Someday, someday.

Mudge,
The problem is that "diet" has two connotations, one being a temporary regimen of starvation in order to temporarily lose weight, which is the wrong approach altogether. "Food Habit Modifications", on the other hand, is such a huge fish in such a small barrel that you should take no pride in being able to fill it so full of buckshot.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

RD - that was great. (your 10:23) I am just arising as I am working 3P's right now. Made me laugh!

dmd - I loved your Halloween story from the previous boodle. Lovely.

Mudge - I liked your 9:53 also. The corporation I work for needs someone like you. You WOULD NOT believe the corporate gobbledygook they come up with in their initiatives. It makes me want to "hurl" as my daughter so elegantly puts it.

TBG - this is my daughters last year trick or treating as well. Sniff. She's going as a rather gaudy princess. We are in a neighborhood with tons of kids so it's like a big party. We pull our chimineas and fire pits and hand out candy and drink wine and generally have a great time. I'm going to miss it but at least the chili, dips and candy are all ready.

I'm no Hillary fan either. I think she's going to take the Democratic party over a cliff. But I think Mudge is exactly right...these guys need to remind people EVERY day about the last 7 years and what Republican leadership has done to this country.

Martooni - great to hear from you.

Happy Halloween everyone. MMMM... I wonder if I have time to make deviled eggs?

Posted by: Kim | October 31, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I actually have tried a time or two to write a screenplay for a monster movie involving a constantly growing, all-devouring and ever-evolving creature called JARGON hatched in the basement of the OMB and nurtured on a steady diet of mission statements and feasability assessments.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | October 31, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Great Scot! I do believe you are right byoolin, I am relatively certain I am still not first.

I am still having refrash issues. IT is messing with our network here, problem is our IT guys don't get payed enough to be any good... so it kindof ruins everything when they start changing things.

Im going to stop there for now, I want to read more, I will post again once I am caught up.

Posted by: Kerric | October 31, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

SCC "refresh", also kind of, not kindof.

Posted by: Kerric | October 31, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Alas, yello, I generally take very little pride in eviscerating jargon; my "dirty little secret" is that it is purely sadistic pleasure. Although they pay me to do it, the truth is, I'd pay *them* for the privilege and thrill of it. Of course, I'd never tell them that.

The ones I take pride in are like the job I did a couple weeks ago: 552 pages before I got started. I cut 40 pages (mostly blank pages between chapters; I have no clue what the authors were thinking, but I was counting dead trees and thinking, "Hey, this is *my* dime you're wasting") and 5,000-odd words out of it. The taxpayers amongst you may thank me by sending donations of cash and food (cookies are always welcome) to my agency.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Kerric, it's been my experience that properly paying or even over-paying IT people still doesn't do much good. I think it may be something that is done to them in IT school. (Apologies to those IT people amongst the Boodle; I'm sure you're the exceptions.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Instead of "food habit modification" how about "nutritional disenhancement"?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Given this Kit, think it wise and feasible on Sunday to listen to and talk to Carl Bernstein, in the flesh, about Hillary.

Posted by: Loomis | October 31, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

And now the Jargon Award for Most Irritating Phrase, the nominees are:

"the fact of the matter is" This bugs the hell out of me because it is invariably followed by something that is demonstrably NOT a fact. W.F. Buckley was a master of this, but Dick Cheney is right in there with the best.

"in this day and age" Way overused and almost completely meaningless.

And the winner is from our media section, an oldie but a goodie- "Heretofore reliable but as yet unconfirmed sources say that the alleged" blah, blah, blah. This the ultimate CYA for media corporations who want to say something without taking any responsibility for its veracity.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | October 31, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

RD and JA - I, too, have enjoyed reading Kaufman's article aboit Supermassive Black Holes and Galaxy formation, but I think it's far too simple to just look in one place for the keys to something as complex as that topic.

For example, data and observations show that galaxies have huge halos of both dark and baryonic matter around them (aside from the easily visible clusters or disks that constitute the main body of a galaxy), how do those interactions influence the evolution of galaxies over time?

A couple of other items to toss into the pot of thinkin' 'bout galaxy formation: the latest cosmic microwave radiation data (announced last week, IIRC) show "flaws" or textures - very odd cold spots - in the early universe, and may be indicators of the early quantum fluctutaions where the symmetry of the energetic quark soup of the inital post-Big Bang era was broken, allowing baryonic matter to condense out of it.

Also, what role does dark energy play in the evolution of galaxies? Dark energy does not seem to be important in smaller cosmological scales such as stellar and galactic (think big here, folks), just as gravity does not seem to be important on human scales. DE seems to be the biggest player in the overall structure and behavior of the expanding universe as it is now, and (maybe) forever shall be, amen.

Sorry for the length of that, folks.
Might have to write something for my own blog to follow up on those ideas...

bc

Posted by: bc | October 31, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

In the flesh? Who? You, or CB? Either way, wouldn't clothes be more appropriate?

But on the other hand...hey! I have different fingers!

Posted by: LostInThought | October 31, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if all the focus on in-house bashing o'candidate means you are giving the other guys an edge, when there is so clearly not an edge. Maybe politicos need to stop bashing each other and tell people what they mean to do. DO. they never emphasize DO enough.

Maggie O'D,isn't Yoki traveling that way too?

Posted by: dr | October 31, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

bc wrote, "in the early universe...where the symmetry of the energetic quark soup of the initial post-Big Bang era was broken."

I *KNEW* there was something wrong with my post-Big Bang quark soup.

So much for "they don't make things like they used to."

Posted by: byoolin | October 31, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

SCC:

"I *KNEW* there was something wrong with my post-Big Bang quark soup."

I mean, in addition to there being too much pepper and not enough cilantro.

Posted by: byoolin | October 31, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Mudge: //(Apologies to those IT people amongst the Boodle; I'm sure you're the exceptions.)//

Likewise, Mudge! :-)

I believe it's almost impossible to overpay good IT people. Imagine your field if there were at least 10 different, important stylebooks, many that changed their standards every other year and mandated monthly upgrades. And that all your previous work needed to become new-standard-compliant or people wouldn't be able to read them anymore.

Is there a lawyer in the house? May I rest my case? :-)

Posted by: dbG | October 31, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, as an uncertified but somewhat capable IT person, I have always been bothered by IT personell that are certified but incapable. There are so many people in the IT industry that are very good at getting letters and titles tacked onto their names, but cannot achieve even mediocre field work, that it gives a bad reputation to the rest of us as well.

Posted by: Kerric | October 31, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"Waiter, there's a fly in in my quark soup."

"Don't worry sir, it'll meet its anti-fly counterpart in a few milliseconds and help keep the soup warm."

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, here's a guest Kit I did last year - some themes should look familiar.

Maybe I'm a broken record...

bc

Posted by: bc | October 31, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Cute, s'nuke.

And bc, the universe is billions of years old. It won't remember if you repeat yourself once or twice, so who am I to judge? Thanks for the link!

Posted by: byoolin | October 31, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see that my use of the phrase "quark soup" made for some good jokes, though I'm disappointed that Mudge hasn't asked if that was a Marx Brothers movie.

My answer is: If it isn't, it *should* be.

Though at this point, it's the working title for a short by The Six Billion Stooges.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 31, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

OMG. HRC is really The Hulk?

I read the article on supermassives, saw the reference to the telescopes on Mt. Mauna Loa and thought that SciTim might have a hand in some of that work. OK, to summarize: supermassives eat stars, then this superheated gas with particles in it comes jetting back out of the hole. A supermassive cloaca.

Posted by: jack | October 31, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I'm leaving for the fundraiser where I'll be selling jewelry tomorrow, toddling to my cousin's under-renovation upstate home with a just-tested credit card machine, 114 pieces of jewelry, 2 dogs, clean laundry, everything I need to make new, last-minute pieces and . . . hope. I'd done all the legwork and signed the contracts, so my silversmithing friend are meeting me there with other pieces, display units, tables, halogen. We share a lot of equipment.

Whether or not I sell anything, etsy and eBay are next, as well as doing a lot of work on my own website. Funny how committing to registering the business and paying bank carrying charges focuses your intentions.

Two IT colleagues are covering for me, and I anticipate receiving no more than 12 beeps and 3 phone calls between tonight and Sunday.

What's business-speak for "Cowabunga, dude?"

Posted by: dbG | October 31, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, bc; I was distracted by something else.

There's a front page alert--only it refersto yesterday's kit about DC versus NY intellectuals. So I would expect the old kit might be drawing comments, while we Boodlers have moved on to this here current kit.

Another rent in the fabric of space-time.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

There better not be a fly in the soup. I'm on clear soup, jello, and juice for the rest of today.

I'm quite surprised that I am keeping my blood sugar so level. None of the usual unpleasant side effects, so far. Jello and broth have enough calories to keep the headaches at bay.

But could somebody fax me something to chew? And some pickles. I could really use some nice tart dill pickles.

Posted by: dr | October 31, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

SCC: friends

dr, that K2O protein water works well too.

Posted by: dbG | October 31, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Twenty five years since MASH went off the air? Where did the time go? MASH is really a timeless series; in 200 years, people will still be laughing at it.

Have a good time, Maggie! A friend got back from Ireland recently with fabulous pictures. She had a great time. One day I will go...

Once a yellow dog Democrat, always a yellow dog Democrat, that's me. Please, God, don't let us screw this election up. Too much is riding on it - our national reputation, our solvency, our soul. That's an awful lot to pile on one person. I hope she can pull it off.

Posted by: Slyness | October 31, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Go well and safely, dbG. I'm not in the least concerned that you won't sell; your work is beautiful. Most of all, enjoy the drop in beep-frequency.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Maggie and I could meet up at the pub! We will both be Ireland at the same time. Have a great trip, Maggie. Let's compare notes when we're both back.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Good luck dbG, your work is fabulous. Do you use the dogs to model the earrings? :-)

Have fun Maggie, Ireland is my dream trip - perhaps I will get there someday.

Posted by: dmd | October 31, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Wilbrod, for enlightening me regarding the relative antiquity of the science of vibrations and weight loss. All I could think of was the old machines that had straps and wooden rollers on them that were used to jiggle off those lbs. I think i'd prefer the bone buzz, but a plain old buzz would do under some circumstances.

Posted by: jack | October 31, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I really know almost nothing about the inner workings of the IT field, dbG, so I plead ignorance going in, and beg forgiveness. But I *do* know about being treated as a customer, as well as being treated as a basically dumb customer at that. My objection to a lot of the IT people I've had to deal with isn't their technical ability--it's their people skills.

I sympatize with what you wrote: "Imagine your field if there were at least 10 different, important stylebooks, many that changed their standards every other year and mandated monthly upgrades. And that all your previous work needed to become new-standard-compliant or people wouldn't be able to read them anymore." But I have to ask myself, is all this turnover all that necessary? Couldn't some of it be what is termed in other fields as "churning"? And I'm one of those people who views Microsoft as basically a spawn of Satan, so I have to wonder how IT work is "legitimate" and how much is just playing (inadvertently) Microsoft's game. For all its faults, couldn't Apple possibly be better? I'm all in favor of "standardization"--but I'm also in favor of competing systems, not monopolies.

I don't have any answers, just unanswerable questions. (Although I *do* know how I want to be treated as a customer when I call up Comcast, or Dell, or my in-house IT people.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

saw an interview the other day with one of the Baldwin brothers (the one on 'Dirty, Sexy Money'), and he said DC and LA have being 'company towns' in common. He was saying comparative things about LA, DC and NYC. On thing he said that made me go 'huh' is (paraphrase here) 'if you live in DC and don't work for the federal government you suffer existential angst'...

Then I remember my last job before moving here was 7 months with the IRS. So maybe I'm innoculated.

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

fyi, I'm going to do a Trail item about UFOs...

Posted by: Achenbach | October 31, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Maggie and Yoki, have a great time on the Emerald Isle!

jack, active black holes actually have two jets of x-rays and hard radiation issuing from the object's poles along the axis of rotation, at the weakest spots in the electromagnetic fields, similar to earth's electromagnetic weak spots at the poles. These weak spots allow solar radiation and particles to the trickle in, giving us Northern and Southern lights when the Sun's particularly active. In the black holes' case, it allows titanic energies that build up inside a hole an avenue to vent *out*...

bc

Posted by: bc | October 31, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, bc, so it's a double. Double Axle, eh? No pun intended.

Posted by: jack | October 31, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"fyi, I'm going to do a Trail item about UFOs..."

Good, Joel. Feel free to credit me with the idea for "Captured by Democrats" from 9:14 AM.

"The Search for Leadership and Truth in a Very Large Field of Candidates."

[I initially wrote "Candudates" there. I kinda like it, FWIW.]

bc

Posted by: bc | October 31, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

This Halloween day is like a summer day here in the Other Capital. And I'm happy that not only little girls like to dress as Trashy Barbies or Naughty Nurses. That is all I am going to say.

Funniest protest of the week on the Hill:
Bunch of financial types and retirees protesting against the change in taxation regime for the Income Funds. Picture a gang of largely white and male, middle-age to elderly guys in grey suit and tie parading around with orange signs bearing undecipherable lines of text in Times 42. One guy even had a chart on his sign. The only thing missing was a guy brandishing a laptop showing a MS PointlessPoint "protest" deck.

Mudge, the link to yesterday's kit on the frontpage may be a not-so-subtil comment of the wapo.com's people on today's kit. Or a devilish plot of the boss to keep the pathological Hillary bashers away.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 31, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

*faxing dr some escargot*

You wanted something to chew; this ought to hold you for a couple of hours. (Always reminded me of slightly salty pencil erasers.)

*also faxing some Penn. Dutch sourdough pretzels* You asked for crunch, ya got crunch.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Joel, just so you know and don't step on any toes, Anne K already did a Trail piece about Dennis and the UFO. You may be pleased to know that the quality of the discourse here is much superior to that which attends Anne's bit:

Posted by: byoolin | October 31, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, gang, didja notice we've now got our own special widget box on the Achenblog? JA pointed it out at the bottom of yesterday's kit. Sez we're finally going big time.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't badmouth this fine gastropod Mudge, escargot can be tender and smooth like a perfectly cooked oyster. I prefer the large Bourgogne but the "petit gris" is good too.
But you are right in a way, the overcooked chewy canned snails floting in synthetic oil reeking of processed garlic is an especially vile appetizer.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 31, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Look soon for a Trail item on UFOs. I'll cross post it here for those of you who don't like to fiddle with the comments over there.

Posted by: Achenbach | October 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

That assumes that escargot are meant to be chewn. I always assumed you just slurped them like raw oysters.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, the scientific cliche is "caloric restriction" for putting mice etc. on a diet designed to make them hungry and crabby and healthy.

I also like "semi-starvation diet" in the scientific literature.

But if you're talking about changing eating patterns to avoid blood sugar bouncing all over the place, then certainly say that.

Or as the food police like to say, "Drop these ho-hos and give me fifty on the floor, right now!"

Unfortunately, yellojkt, 5 miles is difficult to combine with a deskbound lifestyle unless you run. And that's not physically possible for me.

Fortunately biking can burn calories when my legs aren't up to pavement-pounding even at a walk.

Now, cycling doesn't really build bone, but then, there are lots of exercise that do that, like gymnastics, jumping rope, running, walking, taking the stairs.

Aerobic exercise needs to be combined with strength training, and your body must be allowed to recover from overtraining. Walking is good basic maintenance.

The point is to build up fitness and have it sustainable, rather than wreck your body so you can't exercise.

Again... the body isn't an machine. It runs on constant feedback and adjusts its energy demand and expenditure accordingly.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 31, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

LL, can't report anything about the San Jose earthquake. Although the SF Chronicle says it was felt as far away as Oregon we didn't feel anything and we are only 25 miles north of the CA border. No local reports of anyone feeling it. It wasn't much of a quake. Much smaller than the Loma Pereta which was cented isn the same area. Feeling quakes is mostly depending upon where you are in the local geology and what you are doing at the moment. If you are on old loose landfill there is a lot of shaking. But on soild ground not much is felt. I was working in Petaluma when the Loma Pereta hit but was walking fast down a hallway when people came running out of offices shouting earthquake but I hadn't felt a thing. My son was walking on the beach at Pt. Reyes and didn't know a thing about it until he came home in the evening. When I was working in Mexico City there was a big shaker during the rainy season that took down a lot of old adobe appartment houses due the mud being wet. But it was on a Saturday afternoon and we were home and noticed the electricity and radio were off for an unusally long time so I finally went down toward the city to see what was going on and only when I got down toward the British embassy that someone told me there had been an earthquake. Where we lived was only about three miles from downtown but we were up on mountin side where the geology was solid rock based.

I was on my way up to Redding a few years ago to vist my Mom on Thanksgiving and noticed a state highway truck under an overpass on I-5 and a guy up under the base of the overpass looking around and thought it was odd. When we got to Mom's assited living center all the folks were really shook up because there had been a pretty big shaker. Later that day I went out to my mom's house that was about only three miles from that epicenter to see if there had been any damage, there wasn't. But while I out walking around the yard my dog all of a sudden ducked tail and started to run away and a ladder hanging on the side of the garage started to shake and BAM!, it felt like someone hit to bottom of my shoes with a baseball bat when an after shouck hit. Where my mon lived it was very solid geology but the quake we found later was centered about five miles deep in a previously unknown fault about a mile down river from Shasta Dam in the center of the Sacramento river channel.

Posted by: bh | October 31, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"OK, to summarize: supermassives eat stars, then this superheated gas with particles in it comes jetting back out of the hole."

To paraphrase The Joker: "This Universe needs an enema."

Or to paraphrase the Kit: "This town may be intellectual, but it sure don't act that way".

And I still want to know what God's wife's name is (or His concubine's).

Can't make a baby one-handed.

(this is what happens under the influence of prescribed meds, cheap paisano and lacquer thinner)

Posted by: martooni | October 31, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

When I was a college student in the Endless Mountains, I tended to obtain the Sunday NY Times when it actually made the perilous trip across all those mountains. My Brooklyn roommate did the Daily News. He's the neurologist.

The earthquake hazard map of Portland, Oregon was a marvel. The boulder fields left by Pleistocene monster floods were utterly solid. At the edge of those flats, sloping Eastmoreland, perhaps undermined by its springs, looked ready to flow downhill and cover the golf course like so much frosting. Mount Tabor, a small volcano, had stood up to the floods and seemed just as likely to hold up to shaking.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | October 31, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, thanks for the tip. I missed that widget thing somehow.

I added it to my blog page--as Joel pointed out on the diavlog, mutual linking is pretty much what we have these days instead of community, so here goes, Joel, "I linked to ya!" [You might want to upgrade your servers to be able to handle the increase in traffic.]

Unfortunately, the widget does not match my decor on Read/Think/Live, so now I'm contemplating a complete renovation/redecorating project. This could get complicated.

Posted by: kbertocci | October 31, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod -- biking upright on hills DOES build bone as it is very weight-bearing.

Riding a Schwinn or other tank bike -- I have a old Panasonic for that reason -- in the upright position on the flatlands DOES build bone.

Voila. Biking counts.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 31, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Bh: My brother lives in Pacifica very near the epicenter in an a pacific cliff side apartment and he didn't feel last night's quake.

The quake was quite a wild ride. First the rumbling noise and then the shaking from one end of the house to the other. Then total quiet. Then more rumbling and again the shaking from one end of the house to the other. The two sets of shaking were the different waves with their different rate of speed.

No damage at my house in Pacifica but very impressive.

Folks at work that live closer to the epicenter talk about broken glass, grocery store damage, etc.

Posted by: Pacifica | October 31, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If you think biking uphill builds bones, you should try being me for a while. I am very weight-bearing too, ya know.

We have two simultaneous boodles going at the same time, BTW. There's been a trickle over on the previous DC v. NY kit. Even JA popped in.

I hate it when my widget doesn't match my decor.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I've added the widget, but there is part of me wondering if Newman and Joel are secretly hoping we will accept this instead of italics.

Posted by: dr | October 31, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

*l* at LiT's 11:53.

I'll be in the flesh. Carl will be in the flesh. Carl's probably a little bit flashier; I'm a litte bit fleshier. If Carl wants to remove his clothes in the House Chamber...well, all I can say is it's up to Carl.

Will clue you in on Monday.

Posted by: Loomis | October 31, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll see your italics and raise you an indent.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

What is the definition of "modest," by the way? As in modest earthquake. The one in San Jose last night was 5.6, the strongest in the area since Loma Prieta. More than 20 aftershocks reported by the time the network news shows kicked off here.

Now, if you asked me about modesty, I say something on the Richter scale of 3 to 4 dot something would be modest.

Thanks for answering my question and filling us in, bh. Interesting post.

Posted by: Loomis | October 31, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Yoki.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

dr, your posts at the end of the last kit are fighting words :-). Good luck with your procedure by the way, the prep is not fun but look forward to your Calgary BPH.

Posted by: dmd | October 31, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

This must be a first, two boodles going at one time. Everyone keeping up? Having to go back and forth may make me seasick. Mudge, you got a remedy? Puleeze don't say that I have to look at the blue bottom!

Posted by: Slyness | October 31, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod,

That blog is pretty consistent with my half-baked theories. I walk everyday, but less than two miles cumulative. I ride my bicycle a few times a week at a much higher intensity. I ride at an average pace of near 15 mph, but my routes are very hilly and my actual speed varies between 8 and 30 mph.

I use the 4x rule on distances for equivalent effort. A twelve mile ride is equal to a three mile run. This is based on the observation that a marathon is 26 miles and a bicycle century is 100 miles. I've done a bicycle century, but there is no way I could run a marathon.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Mudge. How you doing?

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say 'an indent.'?
   Ha, Yoki.
       ha-ha!

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, BPH, your choice, since you would be cooking. Restaurants choice too. Its too long since we were there, and mrdr was in school when we were local. We didn't get out much for nice meals.

I will say though that should you choose Chez Yoki, I do dishes for good eats. Your house is, I suspect, much more than good eats.

Posted by: dr | October 31, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

College Parkian, I rarely ride my bike standing up, if that's what you mean.

However cycling uphill at a slow speed (especially after a stop) is much tougher than walking up the same hills .

I sometimes think it's more like 5-10 mph; I have to keep it slow for Wilbrodog to stay at a trot, so I can't speed up momentum for the hills, so it's not the most energy-efficient cycling style.

Yello, glad you like the approximate conversions.

I've been suggested to train Wilbrodog to this test specs (20 kilometer run). I said I'd PASS on that.

Road work is dangerous when you can't hear traffic (already been hit by a car), and while Wilbrodog helps out with the traffic, I would not want to play the odds over too many miles; we just started training that part this summer.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 31, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

omni, how did you do that?! Not the scoffing, the indent.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Fine. If we're going to have parallel Boodles running, then I'm going to post in both. So there. Here's my post, again.
Ahem.
Um, sorry I'm late. Busy day. I can't weigh in on the relative intelligence and urbanity of D.C. vs. NYC residents. I'm in awe of them both. I just wanted to say "hello," and "Mo, where are you?" and, "Norman Podhertz reminds me of people I knew in college who tried to win EVERY political argument by drawing parallels between their opponents' positions and the political philosophy of the Third Reich."
That is all. Thank you for your kind attention

Posted by: CowTown | October 31, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I have a Mac OS X question for any Mac gurus in here (you there TBG?): How do I reset my admin password if I was maroonish enough to forget it? I was sure it was something like HPsuks or I<3Mac, but all the permutations I could think of deriving from those two have not worked...HELP!!!

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Edwards is off of my list. He impuned the character and integrity of his opponent--even after Gov. Richards admonished his collegues about the damage that does to Democratic chances in 2008. Edwards wants the job so much, too much, that he would compromise his own character and integrity to get to the head of the line. Shame on him. Edwards is not presidential material.

Posted by: ColonelTim | October 31, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

omni, restart off your OS X install disk. Rummage around on the install disk directory until you find the password reset. If you don't have an install disk, go to the Apple store and wimper for help.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | October 31, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I really like that EL character on the previous Boodle. I wonder if s/he'll show up again?

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and hello CowTown. Could not agree with you more re: Norman Podhertz.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

addendum to the Mac query: Help directed me to the install disk, which turned into a deadend. All help said was that I could reset my PW with the disk, but nothing on how. The only thing I could find browsing said disk told me I needed my old PW to change it...

Yoki, I am the Salamander Prince: I can do almost anything.

You remember my extreme blank post from awhile back? same thing: the Non-Breakable-SPace... General Entity:

I once called myself the Lizard King, but when I tried to figure out an italics work around and failed I, demoted my royalty. Also, I like to swim more than I like to bask in the sun.

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's not go too far overboard with the "mean old men ganging up on the little lady talk. HRC is the target because she's ahead, way ahead. Would you be saying "Those mean white folks are ganging up on poor Sen. Obama!" if he were 30 points up in the polls? This ain't paintball or pattycake, it's politics and I can assure you that were positions reversed and Edwards in the lead, Sen. Clinton's elbows would prove to be as sharp as anyone's.

Posted by: crc | October 31, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, EL...? I'm still a few days behind previous boodle.

K-guy, I kind of figured that would be it, but also kind of trying to catch up on the previous boodles. Thanks.

Right now I'm hungry, so what's for dinner.

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

This from Apple support in lieu of my crappy memory-

If you don't remember the password and automatic login is turned off, you can reset the administrator password using the Mac OS X User Install 1 CD.

IMPORTANT: Because a user with the CD can gain unrestricted access to your computer, you should keep the CD in a safe place.

To reset the administrator password using the Mac OS X CD:

Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD and restart the computer.
When you hear the startup tone, hold down the C key until you see the spinning gear.
When the Installer appears, choose Installer > Reset Password.
Follow the onscreen instructions to change the password.
Quit the Installer and restart your computer while holding down the mouse button to eject the CD.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | October 31, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I should guess insects, slugs and worms, with an occasional tadpole for variety, omni.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

You do raise an interesting point, crc, and I understand what you're saying. I agree that the reasons HRC is attacked is she's so far ahead. But to me that then raises the question, if she's so far ahead, what's the point of trying to destroy her? Why not bow gracefully to the inevitable? If the only way an Edwards or an Obama can win is by shredding a fellow Dem, this raises the question of whether the game is worth the candle. Yes, some internal in-fighting and sharp-elbowing is normal, and yes, I agree with your point that if roles were reversed, Hillary would be right there in the middle of the scrum duking it out, too. But at what point does intra-party "squabbling" get out of hand and become counterproductive? I think we're getting close to that point.

I think if somebody is 30 points ahead, it's time to say "game over" and then pull together for the good of the team. Also, the likelihood of destroying a 30-point lead simply by mindlessly attacking without decent grounds is just wasted effort. I'm not a Hillary fan, and I'm not defending her--but nobody is going to turn this train around just on the strength of her lousy Iraq vote. It's game over (at least in terms of pre-election maneuvering; the only thing that can turn it around now is actually voting results. Edwards and other critics are just repeating themselves.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 31, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks kguy, I'll give that i try (if i don't forget...hehe)

Suppers almost done

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Linda L, what was your experience with quakes when you were at Humbolt? There seen to be more in that region than any other in Califorina.

Posted by: bh | October 31, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

The reason I am experiencing horror during this campaign, from almost all directions, is that I think I see all the candidates, almost every one of them, failing to do what I consider a forehead-slappingly obvious first, serious step to take if they want to be President:

Picture yourself as president. Now, please.

This is hard to explain. I mean, if the candidate actually sees him or herself as president, I could see them that way, too. I want a candidate to illustrate their actual executive skills to me.

But they all act like fawning job applicants, and they're squabbling like kids fresh out of college thinking that's the way to act. It's not grown up. Does Obama have a large circle of allies to draw his cabinet from? Let's talk about that. Ask them all, consider their answers. Tell us now what you will tell congress when you get elected.

Because I suspect the one who actually IS presidential NOW, will be chosen as the president WHEN.

Posted by: Jumper | October 31, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Good, Jumper! They should hire you as an advisor.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 31, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

There better not be 3 active kits. I'm too weak to take it.

Posted by: dr | October 31, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

ditto mudge (5:17) again...I'm just a little too used to Dems shredding eachother while that other party joins in the game.

What's for dinner? you ask...

I went with what I had: cube steak and baby yukon...

4 inch sq cube steak rubbed with garlic (threw the garlic into boiling water) and covered steak almost completely with black pepper cooked in non-stick skillet with lite olive oil. not that I need the oil, it's just that I can (it helps with all the pepper)...

Previously, I cut the yukons 1/4" by 1/2" and boiled in garlic water (garlic removed) till soft on the outside. These were then drained and tossed in another non-stick skillet with (an experiment) old thyme and tarragon heated in lite olive oil. These were cooked till crispy on the outside and soft inside.

Experiment: old thyme and tarragon were so old that they were basically spent. I thought what if they could be revitalized in hot oil. worse case no. but still they could add to the presentation. Worked like a charm.

Everything had a slight undertone of garlic.

The only thing missing: greens. But that's OK...I'm stuffed.

Best things:

1) I learned about revitalizing spent herbs (probably heard this somewhere, and not original, but I'll take it)

2) I figured out I probably can make a decent wine sauce in a non-stick skillet. Will report back on succes/failure when I try this...

and now for spideyman III

Posted by: omni | October 31, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Status quo Rosie. Geffen was right.

Posted by: sawargos | October 31, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

hrc: YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CAN3T HIDE.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 31, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

HILLARY is the dwarf here. Bill Richardson is by far the most-qualified person running for President in either party.
Our current political system almost guarantees that we will not elect the candidate with the best resume, instead getting the one with the best PR department. Someday, maybe, the two will coincide. SOMEDAY SOON, PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: William | November 1, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

ricald

Posted by: gettrelcasit | November 3, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

How very interesting. Achenbach, with more intellect than most who do it, has managed to hew to every single one of the corporate press's cardinal rules: Assume Hillary is the nominee, marginalize her competition (especially John Edwards, seen in 2004 and now for 2008 as the single biggest threat to corporate power), and feed us silly diversions in the form of celebrity gossip.

Nicely done. And thanks for being part of everything that's wrong with the once-mighty fourth estate. How proud you must be.

Posted by: panarchy | November 4, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Hello, my name is Petro, I liked yours guest book, can get acquainted and with mine

Posted by: Jastin | November 7, 2007 5:04 AM | Report abuse

Hello, my name is Jessica, I like yours blog, i with pleasure shall support a theme.

Posted by: Jessica Truman | November 8, 2007 4:36 AM | Report abuse

zfd3m7juk crhtzorrh3t3w [URL=http://www.655145.com/260983.html] ifecgfalh153ui7a [/URL] 2l9air2l

Posted by: ey8eb9x214 | November 8, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

dd4bj0unt trxjeqac0egiflk [URL=http://www.730613.com/542558.html] nnp8brjq2vslur [/URL] c99hrn3c8fug

Posted by: 4d0hvs1evp | November 8, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hello, my name is Ditrich, I like yours blog, i with pleasure shall support a theme.

Posted by: Ditrich | November 9, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ditrich | November 9, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse

3qwcyty6h nptwyj1o4b48 [URL=http://www.440326.com/313833.html] 1aj607dwyeidihk4k [/URL] a0xy03nw0ixu0qm4h

Posted by: njjw2cz09e | November 10, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

w9fobam49aox1 h8fov5p55 [URL=http://www.321321.com/583467.html] eb993h3y8d480dwbc [/URL] mm07ycbtehcba20

Posted by: jpca3uugnq | November 11, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

alrele

Posted by: taorroc4tnoc | November 17, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

pasleto

Posted by: cnabocad | November 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Good luck dbG!!!

Posted by: Stilbild.nu | November 22, 2007 7:49 AM | Report abuse

cy27wp0orreycx0 gg7pvj6tnok2b1 [URL=http://www.590684.com/439676.html] p6arfxd8tppze [/URL] ip3bwmmt03mpo

Posted by: uj7w8o7j44 | November 23, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

N5dahj2 cool site!!! [url=http://lopieur1.com]cool site!!![/url] http://lopieur2.com fsURga6

Posted by: lopieur | November 27, 2007 5:17 AM | Report abuse

ucpuy8za1i3yusmm b91ob9bm [URL=http://www.809682.com/808286.html] zl9civd6hogp [/URL] w5kwml6pb6mcsbj

Posted by: 8eqwomvfpl | November 28, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

qyefdf0rmw8 n40nrc7whcqr [URL=http://www.401016.com/651616.html] 3fdb51owk3839 [/URL] w7s0f6h7

Posted by: g6hj1hk39h | December 1, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

ggmfmfutyoyhrvb m331tcay8tn [URL=http://www.448068.com/599662.html] qnjyu9rg [/URL] qi6ltiq7yxluxuis

Posted by: sxai6hhqkz | December 1, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

wendy melons [URL=http://scbalch.angelfire.com/lib/wendy-melons.html]wendy melons[/URL] [url=http://scbalch.angelfire.com/lib/wenom/lib/video-games.html

Posted by: wendy melons | December 3, 2007 5:25 AM | Report abuse

gxzq035j fp48xvzyzb [URL=http://www.876021.com/167983.html] ehtyzdl1irdetd7j [/URL] guuxc8t7qzkth

Posted by: 3z63b5qu5o | December 5, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

1prhx84itpqicw gcissc0a [URL=http://www.424209.com/386072.html] 9gsbc510m52a14psa [/URL] v5vhvlyh5

Posted by: 43ost76iqj | December 6, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

bao6bxg53a i7103d1bx09x [URL=http://www.317949.com/493550.html] tkozkfugln [/URL] axfpxxgy0tsye8qw

Posted by: vvnpof9vo9 | December 6, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

2qj47ngeryqe k2vm2mj46nv63gj [URL=http://www.793922.com/796798.html] make8gp2cnap [/URL] nsdhzusx

Posted by: x59cwa88h6 | December 7, 2007 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Great work!
[url=http://souaamuh.com/gwsx/sbsn.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qphjkfgx.com/dgoq/xlrp.html]Cool site[/url]

Posted by: Alice | December 10, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Great work!
http://souaamuh.com/gwsx/sbsn.html | http://uclnobgu.com/tzdt/jmks.html

Posted by: Elaine | December 10, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

dress up dolls [Uperras.totalh.com/bell-canada.htm]bell canada[/url] [url]http://corinaperras.totalh.com/bell-canada.htm[/url]

Posted by: dress up dolls | December 10, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

8jg3k1kemy7 rbjeda9xm2 [URL=http://www.1021830.com/733514.html] ypusbsrfyr6210 [/URL] kzv2pp8vd8qdlnpb

Posted by: afgw5idd6b | December 14, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

gt3obpnpe5tk ec06g00p3zfo [URL=http://www.640636.com/574948.html] joudpjm4icb5 [/URL] ezsspkld

Posted by: l4qi38tu1a | December 17, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

ful188vp3n9 neh43ti8u8ydts7j 56hadmn8

Posted by: zj91pz4i0f | December 19, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

gr1nd77r yp5htlgi7uwliwj5i [URL=http://www.654012.com/460013.html] kaly5oft [/URL] f33d5gba

Posted by: 3bf0q18vse | December 24, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

relbocsitr

Posted by: ropasc4trolv | December 29, 2007 4:00 AM | Report abuse

erelrog

Posted by: darc4tmonc | December 29, 2007 4:01 AM | Report abuse

chiolotrocc

Posted by: acelcoricdr | December 29, 2007 4:03 AM | Report abuse

arizona wedding videographers [URL=http://ibear.cn/wireless/wp-admin/js/scripts/topic-431.htm]arizona wedding videographers[/URL] [url=http://ibear.cn/wireless/wp-admin/js/scripts/topic-431.htm]arizona wedding videographers[/url] [url]http://ibear.cn/wireless/wp-admin/js/scripts/topic-431.htm[/url]

Posted by: arizona wedding videographers | August 16, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

web [URL=http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/sitemap.html]home[/URL] [url=http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/sitemap.html]domain[/url] [url]http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/sitemap.html[/url]

Posted by: map | August 16, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: map | August 16, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

stabbing westward music video [URL=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/159.html]stabbing westward music video[/URL] [url=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/159.html]stabbing westward music video[/url] [url]http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/159.html[/url]

Posted by: stabbing westward music video | August 17, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stabbing westward music video | August 17, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

movies ten wooster movies ten wooster [link=http://favoritethingsstudio.com/shopfts/images/icons/resource1388.htm]movies ten wooster[/link]

Posted by: movies ten wooster | August 17, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

actos coupons actos coupons [link=http://favoritethingsstudio.com/shopfts/images/icons/resource2342.htm]actos coupons[/link]

Posted by: actos coupons | August 17, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

wal mart censorship wal mart censorship [link=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/833.html]wal mart censorship[/link]

Posted by: wal mart censorship | August 17, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

movies public domain [URL=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/208.html]movies public domain[/URL] [url=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/208.html]movies public domain[/url] [url]http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/208.html[/url]

Posted by: movies public domain | August 17, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

one way moving trailer rentals [URL=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/167.html]one way moving trailer rentals[/URL] [url=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/167.html]one way moving trailer rentals[/url] [url]http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/167.html[/url]

Posted by: one way moving trailer rentals | August 17, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse

conservative conservative [link=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/1625.html]conservative[/link]

Posted by: conservative | August 17, 2008 3:08 AM | Report abuse

question mark perception question mark perception [link=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/1541.html]question mark perception[/link]

Posted by: question mark perception | August 17, 2008 3:09 AM | Report abuse

supersaturation video [URL=http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/news-1304-2008-06-22.html]supersaturation video[/URL] [url=http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/news-1304-2008-06-22.html]supersaturation video[/url] [url]http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/news-1304-2008-06-22.html[/url]

Posted by: supersaturation video | August 17, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

britney sky [URL=http://limorgalili.com/admin/backup/dump/text-535.html]britney sky[/URL] [url=http://limorgalili.com/admin/backup/dump/text-535.html]britney sky[/url] [url]http://limorgalili.com/admin/backup/dump/text-535.html[/url]

Posted by: britney sky | August 17, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse