Band of Boodlers

By boodler bc. [Click here to read his blog.]

KING JOEL V

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Weingarten? No, my fair cousin:
If we are mark'd to Blog, to Kit as it were, we are enow
To do the WaPo's loss; and if to live,
The fewer journalists, the greater share of online umbrage.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one journo, not one Blogger more.
By Graham, I am not covetous for Pulitzers,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my Kits or Trails or front page features;
It yearns me not if readers my musings read;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet links from other Blogs or Technocrati rankings,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a Blogger from the Blogosfear:
Observer's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one reader more, methinks, would share from me
For the best editing I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Weingarten, through my host,
That those who hath no stomach to these Comments,
Let them depart; their logout shall be made
And Loonies or Lindens for their ISP put into their PayPal account:
We would not Boodle in that user's company
That fears his fellowship to Boodle with us.
This day is called the feast of the Holiday Boodle Porching Hour, and we come to toast Error Flynn:
Those that outlive this BPH, and come safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Error Flynn.
Those that shall Blog this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is the Holiday BPH:'
Then will strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Error Flynn's day.'
Old Bloggers forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But they'll remember with advantages
What Comments we made that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in this Blog as household words
Curmudgeon the Ancient Mariner, kbertocci and TBG,
Cassandra and Loomis, RD Padouk and Scottynuke,
Science Tim and yellojkt, Wilbrod and Slyness,
Dmd and dBG, Raysmom and Ivansmom, College Parkian and frosti,
Omni and Dave of the Coonties, Yoki and boko999,
Martooni and dr, Nellie and Maggie 'O, greenwithenvy and mostlylurking,
SonofCarl and byoolin, LostinThought and Jumper,
jack and bill everything, shrieking denizen and k-guy,
CowTown and rainforest and ebtnut,
jw and Dreamer, Annie and even You Know Who
And all the rest that have come and gone,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good parents teach their children;
And thoughts of the Boodle shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the Internet or Western Civilization [Whichever comes first, or should one cause the other. YMMV.],
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of Boodlers;
For you to-day that shed your blood, thoughts and words with me
Shall be my brother or sister; be you ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle your condition:
And Bloggers in the Blogosphere now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their keyboards cheap whiles any speaks
That Boodled with us upon Error Flynn's day.

[Exeunt]

And now, some True Love at Great Falls, with Scottynuke and Nukespouse exchanging vows, with the Celebrant in between and the Nukespawn bearing witness. [George Washington would be very pleased with the choice of location.]

scotty getting married.bmp

Way cool: Via SciAm, here's the moon in Hi-Def. [Though the video is a little jerky for me on this Aircard connection at Starbucks. The Japanese introductory text was, in my opinion, a little hackneyed.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 14, 2007; 8:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebrity Sex!!!! Plus, Nixon House Snapped Up
Next: Why Can't My Blog Look Like This

Comments

First!

Now to go and repost all my stuff from the last boodle.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Joel, this wouldn't happen to you, would it? Because unlike Dave Barry, who is an Actual Computer Book Author, you actually Know The Technology.

Right?

Posted by: wiredog | November 15, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

OK, the blog stripped the html.. This --> http://blogs.herald.com/dave_barrys_blog/2007/11/why-people-hate.html#comments

Posted by: wiredog | November 15, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Don't think it was your Aircard that made the video jerky, was the same on my computer - and it was very cool.

Yello one of the authors in the list had a couple of his books distributed in Cereal Boxes, that is how we came to own them - they are surprisingly good.

Posted by: dmd | November 15, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Once again, kudos to bc for his brilliance.

And wishes of happiness to the entire Nuke family.

And as a follow-up to my previously plugged paean to redheads (what I wouldn't do for inline hypertext links, or italics for that matter)
here are the lyrics to Bruce Springsteen's tribute to his wife:

Well, brunettes are fine, man
Blondes are fun
But, when it comes to getting the dirty job done,
I'll take a red-headed woman, a red-headed woman.
It takes a red-headed woman to get a dirty job done.

Well, listen up, stud,
Your life's been wasted
'til you've got' down on your knees and tasted
A red-headed woman, a red-headed woman.
It takes a red-headed woman to get a dirty job done.

Tight skirt, strawberry hair
Tell me what you've got, baby, waiting under there.
Big green eyes that look like, son,
They can see every cheap thing that you ever done.

Well, I don't know how many girls you dated, man
You ain't lived 'til you've had your tires rotated
By a red-headed woman, a red-headed woman.
It takes a red-headed woman to get a dirty job done.

I paid homage to Patti a few days ago.

More promiscuous linking later.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow, an "almost all bc" Kit.

[that's my pic of of the Nuke Family wedding].

I'm verklempt.

bc

P.S. I wonder how many comments I'm going to get about the intentional misspellings in the "Band of Boodlers" item...

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

bc,
I don't think there are any variant spellings not in the original. And I like "Blogosfear." I'm going to still that without attribution someday.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping bc will just take over this accursed blog full-time.

For one thing...bc might be able to explain to me why people like NASCAR. I just read two NASCAR columns and I still don't quite understand the sport. I may have to blog on this. I know this hurts my street cred. But I don't get it.

FYI, I am going to start breaking up the multi-item postings into separate postings. This is at the advice of my editaurs who believe that stacking stuff into a single kit isn't a good idea.

Posted by: Achenbach | November 15, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

How do we know this was really written by bc, and not, say, Francis Bacon?

(mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbaconnnnnnnn.)

Posted by: byoolin (feeling suitably accursed) | November 15, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I just now noticed this news story on what a firm handshake "really" means. I assume Henry V had a firm one.

Someone needs to look into the fitness consequences of, say, having the right fine motor control to do Chinese calligraphy.

Somehow, this news story also brings to mind the first kayak descent of the Great Falls, which was somewhere around 1977 or 78, with no casualties. I assume those guys were tightly gripping their paddles.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 15, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

blogosfear
editaurs

Slain with the joy of these perfect coinages...

Posted by: College Parkian | November 15, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

BZ, bc, BZ

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 15, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

edivores (as in trim the words)

Posted by: College Parkian | November 15, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

What a wonderful picture. It really expresses the idea that this wedding wasn't about the pageantry, but was, instead, about the love.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Joel, I think the popularity of NASCAR is not unlike the popularity of golf in that fans can invest in a individual rather than a team and thereby avoid the embarrassment of wearing their expensive Johnny Damon Boston Red Sox jersey after he's become a Yankee. Beyond that, it's loud, it's smelly, it's dangerous, and it's very easy to understand.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 15, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand... isn't a handshake grip completely under the gripper's control?

I mean, we're not talking about needing a vice grip, just not a limp washrag, right?

Posted by: TBG | November 15, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

NASCAR?
I'm on it, boss.

CP, don't forget my personal fave, "ouroborosian."

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Joel, I've never really gotten NASCAR. For me it has always occupied a universe parallel to my own. Like the ones occupied by The Home Shopping Network and Christian Rock.

All I know is that in certain company a vicious fight can be started by simply uttering the wrong integer.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

TBG -- I think about handshakes often for two reasons:
ONE) I am from a region, hence a family, of the firm, Western-lands handshake. Living out here, I remain surprised at the range of wimp-to-limp or otherwise horrid handshakes.

TWO) Do some men reserve the tentative handshake for women? Would they rather in some medieval-throwback, gallant move prefer to kiss the upheld dainty-lady hand?

I always laugh at the athlete's version of the shake: firm hand grasp accompanied by the shoulder grip. I always feel as if I am a very sturdy golden lab....."Good, dog, there CP, good dog."

Posted by: College Parkian | November 15, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Not that there is anything *wrong* with NASCAR. I'm just tone deaf to it.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Also, I really liked the hi-def moon vid. Although I couldn't suppress the sensation that I was watching a very long introduction to some kind of retro video game. I kept waiting for something to scroll into view that I could zap.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

TBG, if that story's to be believed, the strength of your grip is mostly hereditary. You can upgrade it a bit with exercise, but only so much.

If the consequences are that the firm-gripped rule (and have lots of offspring), then you'd expect there to be lots of hand crushers around. Perhaps not so many Chinese calligraphers. (I admit to being awestruck at great calligraphy, whether super-tidy or free and spontaneous).

What about watchmakers, surgeons, and dentists, not to mention biologists with good micro technique? Cutting a bamboo shoot with a straight-edge razor blade until you expose the apical meristem (the growing tip) is fascinating, if you don't slice the tip off along the way.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 15, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

That is a great picture bc. Beside Scottynuke and family, I get the full view of the falls. It really illustrates the true nature of the Great Falls problem in The Grand Idea.

I should probably go back and read it again, except I just started volume 1 of The Will and Ariel Durant Civilisations. I expect to be deeply involved with this series for a while. So, Achenbach or Durant. Or maybe Achenbach with Durant at the appropriate volume. With the added in 1776 from David McCullough (I'm probably wanting to hear the 'voice while I read that).

Boss you are in good company, you know.

Posted by: dr | November 15, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

But Dave... if that's the case, then how do the limp handshakers actually hold on to things?

If the strength of their grip is any indication, they shouldn't be able to hold a fork, or umbrella, or even shift gears?

Posted by: TBG | November 15, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

bc, I am in absolute awe. You are a prolific, immensely clever and entertaining writer. And I'd say this even if you hadn't mentioned my name in your sonnet. And, hey, your blog ain't bad either.

Posted by: CowTown | November 15, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of "The Grand Idea," I am reading a book by Joseph Ellis called "The Founding Brothers." It is fleshing out my understanding of the fundamental conflicts that existed between the members of what Ellis calls the "Revolutionary Generation."

The insights this book is giving me into the character of George Washington dovetail nicely with those presented in Joel's book.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

All I know is that every time anybody offers me one of those mysophobic Howie Mandel style "fist bumps" I want to deck them.

Fortunately I always suppress this urge because the individuals involved are typically a lot bigger than me.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

OK, someone translate this column for me:

HOMESTEAD, Fla. - In your wildest dreams, could you ever conceive that Jeff Gordon would simply lay down and concede the championship before the last lap of the last race of the year?

Certainly the four-time Nextel Cup champion, who seemed so self-assured in his "Drive for Five" during the regular season, was not the same driver who bowed to his Hendrick Motorsports teammate in Victory Lane at Phoenix International Speedway on Sunday night. Gordon oozed graciousness, and we wouldn't expect anything less as he is the ideal poster boy for the sport.
But this is not the same Jeff Gordon who was kicking ass and taking names in the mid-to-late 1990s. And crew chief Steve Letarte is certainly no Ray Evernham. Sorry, Stevie. Chad Knaus earned the nickname "Little Ray" a long time ago. The last time two Hendrick teams went mano-a-mano was in 1996 when Terry Labonte entered the season finale at Atlanta with a 47-point lead. The atmosphere at the Nos. 5 and 24 shops were closer to sneaking behind enemy lines than the caring and sharing philosophy of today at Hendrick.

"To be honest, it's hard for people to understand our concept here," Letarte said. "We share everything. It's a complete open book. I mean, it's the way the company's set up. It's the way our engineering is set up. It's the way Chad and I work. All four cars are an open book to one another from week one at Daytona testing all the way to the final laps at Homestead. We share air pressures during the race, pit strategies, setup information all weekend along...."

Gibberish.

Posted by: Achenbach | November 15, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm hooome, after a side trip to Bojangles for breakfast. Not too bad, actually. Nice young doctor, they are looking younger all the time.

Love the photo, yes you can tell it's all about the relationship and not the external celebration. Good for the Nukes!

Joel, I'm with you on NASCAR. Heck, I live at the center of NASCAR World and I.Just.Do.Not.Care. I suppose it's a character flaw not to see the point of watching cars go around in a circle 500 times. I'm really okay with that flaw.

OTOH, I'm certainly not going to knock it. After all, not everybody appreciates Jane Austen as I do, for which I am grateful. NASCAR is good for the economy and keeps many occupied who would get into worse trouble without it. A good friend is chief counsel for Lowe's Motor Speedway and has made a fortune keeping them on the right side of legal. Other friends recently did the Richard Petty Driving Experience and had a blast. They said you had to go fast in the curves or you would drift off the track. I'm sure bc would corroborate that.

Posted by: Slyness | November 15, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

As far as NASCAR goes, I wrote a bit about it in my blog from Memorial Day "bc's Memorial Day 500"

I watched all of the big auto races that day back-to-back-to-back.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Great picture of the bride and groom and Snukekid. Not being from the area, nor knowing this part of the Potomoc, and seeing that the fall season is definitely in full swing, I'm prompted to ask if the water level of the falls is low, or is this about what you'd find as far as water flow year around?

Posted by: Loomis | November 15, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Joel, actually I believe this is a metaphorical exposition of existentialism as contrasted with metaphysical relativism. The term "kicking ass" is the tip-off.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I read your post(this morning's early posting) in the celebrity kit, and I am still laughing. I kept wondering, has he already had the get high stuff yet or is that language without coffee? It was real funny. And the thing that made it even funnier, I thought he's talking about me too, you know the dead brain cells. I won't even start to go there.

During my bleary-eyed days, Martooni, would have been a slow dude in comparison to me. And Martooni, this is not a put down of you, but a testimony to how good God has been and still is to me. Thank you, Jesus.

Got to go. Time to get dressed for the dinner.

Posted by: Cassandra S | November 15, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I am SO verklempt...

And not just because the book titles had enough clues for me to go 6/9 on the quiz.

Mega-thanks to bc for the fine photo, to Joel for posting it, and to everyone for their continued very kind comments. I gotta let NukeSpouse and NukeSpawn know they're in the news!!!

:-))))

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 15, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I think my kid was Terry Labonte for Halloween one year. Did he ever drive for Kellogg's? We turned his red wagon into a cardboard stock car. Made hauling all the candy home easier.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What. You don't share air pressures or setup information with your teammates, Joel?

Posted by: jp1954 | November 15, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Howdy doody, folkeroonies.

I am here at work. I am fine. I am happy. I have one less tooth than before. The nitrous has worn off, but the demerol and valium are still on board. Therefore I am happy. I am ready to resume editing stodgy reports. However, I intend to replace all periods at the ends of sentences with little teeny-tiny smiley faces. Just so you know. BTW, I am happy. Don't know if I mentioned that before. Happiness is a warm puppy. I think Charlie Brown said that. Or maybe it was Nietzche. One of them.

Happy, happy, happy.

I don't think I should be operating any heavy equipment for a while, so if one of you kind folks would take away my keys to the backhoe and the bulldozer, I would appreciate it.

Oh, look! A balloon!

Posted by: Happy, happy Curmudgeon | November 15, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

LindaLoo;

Thank you, and the water level is about where you'd expect for fall, as far as I know. But I'm a transplant to the area and therefore not all that reliable. YMMV.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 15, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I'll go there. Read the first sentence. "In your wildest dreams, could you ever conceive that Jeff Gordon would simply lay down and concede the championship before the last lap of the last race of the year?" LAY DOWN? Morons. Silly NASCAR persons. I f*rt in your general direction.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 15, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

This is as close as I can get: The friends who did my wedding cake when Mr. T and I were married also did the cake for Jeff Gordon and his first bride. I loved the pictures of that cake, so they did the same decoration for me! Mine was much, much smaller, of course, but it really was lovely. They told me the cake they did for the Gordon wedding paid the rent on the shop that month, to give you some idea of the size...

Posted by: Slyness | November 15, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Sept. actual rainfall was about half an inch when normal is 3.5. Oct. actual was 6.5 when normal would be 3. Actual rainfall to date for Nov. is about 1/3 normal.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 15, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Jeff Gordon's the pretty one, right?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I can translate:

Jeff Gordon has conceded the season championsip to teammate Jimmie Johnson, even though he still has a mathematical chance to win it under NASCAR's convoluted points system.

Gordon and Johnson race for the Hendrick organization that has dominated NASCAR for the past decade.

[and then they start explaining how Rick Hendrick's teams became dominant, due in part to an unusually high degree of technical information sharing]

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I would fain not be so churlish as to cavil at this great work,
this monument to the Boodle,
and to the twice-blessed memory of Error Flynn; but, alas,
I must. I say again, yes, I must.
For there be no letter 'c' in Technorati,
though, e'en so, 'c' doth be for 'cookie.'
And that should be good enough for thee, and me.

Posted by: StorytellerTim | November 15, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I oozed graciousness once. Fortunately there are medications for that now.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 15, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I take it, Joel, that in reality you won't be reporting on the competition known as "racin'!" Now, I call it a competition, and not a sport, although there are some who assert that since it's 115ºF. in the car, and the driver must "concentrate real hard" and the steering wheel is pretty tight and the feets gotta move fast, that it's a sport. I say, yeah, like being a frycook is a sport.

But the point is, if you actually MUST go, make sure you realize that many of the stadiums offer concrete benches to sit on. Be warned.

I have the sense that this competition is one the least understood by the most number of fans. The rules of football, while not universally known by all its fans, are known in depth by quite a few, even the more obscure rules. While in racin' the rules are ALL obscure, and hardly one fan in 10,000 knows them, much less comprehends them. Plate restrictions, intake sizes, compression ratios, etc.: "Look at 'im go!" is the important thing. I guess.

Posted by: Jumper | November 15, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

According to the last Weingarten chat, SofC, that comes from eating walu.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 15, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

'mudge, the hole in my mouth from a tooth extraction is currently being maintained by a plastic spacer that can be very annoying if I think about it. Waiting for the implant, then the fake tooth.

It's kind of interesting that NASCAR is basically a family business, invented by Bill France. Also kind of interesting that this "stock" car stuff has obliterated other forms of auto racing in the US.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 15, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

This is what I know about NASCAR... when a friend of mine told his co-worker he'd be taking his girlfriend to a race that weekend, the co-worker exclaimed, "What?! Taking your girlfriend to the race is like taking sand to the beach!"

I did spend a day long ago at Summit Point, WVa. Now THAT was fun... watching those Pintos and Vegas on the track--looong after they were ubiquitous on the road.

Posted by: TBG | November 15, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to all-electric auto racing in the US, with restrictions on a team's ability to deploy heliostats in order to beam sunlight directly to the car, and so forth.

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 15, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

LOL, SciTim! I may have to get interested at that point.

Posted by: Slyness | November 15, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

College Parkian, there's firm and then there's trying to break a person's hand.

It is interesting that hand grip is partly genetic. In HS I was able to exert the most pressure on a closed syringe in chemistry class. It was attributed to having firm "speech" muscles. I think having a smaller hand helped.

However this same small hand means I cannot do a "firm" handshake with a lot of people since their palms are too wide for my hand to wrap around at all.

That's when I really DO not appreciate a "firm handshake" that seems to focus on squeezing my hand. Too bad kicking or decking for a too-tight grip isn't socially desireable. I count that as assault.

That's not what a real firm handshake is.

The strongest handshake I had was with a 'Nam Vet once who practiced martial arts. He shook with the correct pressure, no squeezing whatsoever, very nice. But his hand was like steel.

THAT's what I call a firm handshake. You feel the muscles and the muscle tone on the palm distinctly, the grip is mostly with the fingers, the wrist is straight, extending the real strength in the arm.

You don't have much "fight" against the arm even if you wanted to, and I had no doubt that he could break my arm in around 5 seconds had he chosen to change his grip or arm motion. That's the kind of handshake I'd like to think Henry V would have had.

Not trying to one-up somebody by squeezing their hand to pulp. That just gets people calling you "Lenny" behind your back as they hide their women and bunnies away from you.

(Sorry, but it had to be said.)

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 15, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

(looking for name, looking for name) Alas, suddenly FTB feels like chopped liver (which can only mean that I need to get back to the gym). Otherwise, fine Elizabethan kit, bc.

Congrats to the official and officially beautiful scenary-wise, nuptials, Snuke. May you and your bride and your family have an abundance of joy in the years ahead.

Back to the ol' grind.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 15, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Good job, bc, on the Band of Boodlers, on the picture, and on the translation of the NASCAR article. Sadly, like RD's acquisition-ese of last week, I understood every word of it.

A co-worker once asked me why so many people hate Jeff Gordon.

Me: Why do so many people hate the Cowboys?

He: Easy. They're evil.

Me: Exactly.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 15, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

An article in Slate about the writer's strike makes reference to the excellence of the Daily Show archives, with special reference to this excellent piece, a Stewart/Corrdy piece on Cheney shooting his lawyer friend, which is "must see" TV:

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 15, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad to see the Boodle in the Kit! Now that Joel toils and travels, with his AirCards and tiny bottles and clear quart-size bags, the Boodle can give him a brief occasional respite from the demands of constant Kitting. Fortunately, we have clever folks like bc, and joyous occasions to document, so it all works.

I thank bc for his NASCAR story translation. RD's version initially made more sense to me.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 15, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I just backboodled quickly and came upon a topic which drives me batty (and not the upside-down in the dark kind, either) -- handshakes! TBG and CP, I absolutely cringe at the "finger shakes" which mostly men seem to think is the way one is to shake hands with a woman. Ewwwwwwww. Some women (of the non-professional role type) do that, too, and I can't stand it.

Just a snarky moment.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 15, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, I've played football, baseball, soccer and a few other organized sports at the High School level, and I've driven race cars and won. Sometimes in cars I've built myself.

Driving a racing car at the level required to win professional races is every bit as difficult as playing any other sport at a high level, and in some ways, more difficult due to the level of concentration required for long durations under extreme conditions. 115F isn't all that hot, even when wearing the 5 layer fireproof gear. I've measured over 135F in cars that I just spent 2 hours racing nonstop (e.g. no yellow flags), and lost 6 pounds of weight in that time (probably could have squeezed most of it out of my suit).

Driving to the grocery store or to the office is about as close to top-level racing as playing catch with your kids in the back yard is to Being Petyon Manning or Tom Brady at the Super Bowl.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

When I moved to Texas I found it universal for guys to shake hands with ALL they had, at least the man-to-man handshakes. Good thing I was fit; it clinched some job offers. When I moved to Carolina I found the practice was not so brutal, and only occasionally was it a contest of strength. But I had to unlearn the Texas way, or I would have crushed some poor guys' hands. Nowadays, after the never-treated rotator cuff injury and attendant snapping of the brachialis tendon, I am no longer a threat to the fishes.

Posted by: Jumper | November 15, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Firsttimeblogger, those handshakes drive me crazy too.

It should be palm to palm, fingers bent only at the second joint, thumb pressure applied with discretion (I prefer an unbent thumb on the hand extending at a slight obtuse angle rather than grabbing my hand further into a vise).

It's something like how a rifle or bow would be held. The fingers-only handshake is more like holding a wallet or a pen.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 15, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I have posted a new kit but that doesn't mean everyone has to abandon this one. Seems like it ought to be possible to have two boodles, no? Is double-boodling impossible?

Posted by: Achenbach | November 15, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

*Tim, thanks for the spell check and the idea for solar restrictor plates.

I have no doubt that should NASCAR suddenly discover 21st century technology (remember, those cars still use carburetors, suspensions derived from 1960s pickup trucks, and chassis/frames from 60s sedans) and make a solar electric race series as you propose, they'd have the resources to put their SuperSpeedway restrictor plate over the sun.

And sell advertising on it.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Shakespeare wrote of Marc Anthony's firm handshake. Here Alexas discusses his gladhanding with Cleopatra.
....

ALEXAS
'Good friend,' quoth he,
Takes the firm handshake to grip vistors' hands
This pressure of an oyster; at whose squeeze,
Do burst the pearls from sandy grains and will measure
Their opulent groan for freedom; all eyes tear,
By gasps, they call out 'uncle.' So he nodded,
And soberly did mount an arm-strong pump,
That reach'd so high, any arm would have broke
And beastly numb'd by cheer.

CLEOPATRA What, was he mad or sorry?

ALEXAS Like to the time o' the year between the extremes
Of hot and cold, he was nor mad nor sorry.
CLEOPATRA O well-muscled hamfistedness! Note him,
Note him good Charmian, 'tis the man; but note him:
He was not mad, for he would grin on those
That make their looks by his; he was not sorry,
Which seem'd to say such rough embrace was fond,
By sharing of his joy; but between both:
O heavenly wringle! Be'st thou mad or sorry,
The violence of either thee becomes,
So does it no man else. Met'st thou my posts?

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 15, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "By gasps" should be "on knees" instead.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 15, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Alas, poor oyster, we gulped you whole.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 15, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Dave o' the coonties.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 15, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

*tiptoeing home so as to not wake the Boodle*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 15, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Eeep, I must have been quieter than I thought! :-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 15, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

The boodle is dead, long live the new boodle!

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 15, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

That's okay, s'nuke. Nobody pays attention to the posts by that Achenbach shill.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

For LOOMIS:

I saw your comments from a year ago on FBL. I am the educator at the Amherst College Museum of Natural History. I talk about FBL everyday in my classes and presentations.

Feel free to write. Look for the museum's website.

Posted by: Steven Sauter | November 29, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse