Celebrity Sex!!!! Plus, Nixon House Snapped Up

Before we get to the Nixon House, did anyone see this story in Forbes on the rambunctious sex lives of celebrities?

The gist of the story: Being a rich movie star or fashion model will allow you to have lots of sexual partners.

WHOA....knock me down with a feather...

"How many partners have these celebrities had? On average, about 82 for the men and 79 for the women."

But here's the problem: This is based on a survey of -- let's quote the story -- "attorneys representing 1,015 actors, musicians and a handful of fashion models, who were all at least 25 years old, with a minimum net worth of $10 million."

They polled their ATTORNEYS???? Wha....

Bogus.

From the Reliable Source:

'After a year on the market -- and a $750K price drop -- the eight-bedroom house where Richard Nixon and family spent part of his vice presidency ('57 to '61) is finally under contract to "a lovely young family," according to agent Meg Crowlie. The 9,000-square-foot Tudor-style mansion in Wesley Heights was built for large-scale entertaining, with sprawling living and dining rooms and butler's pantry. Back in the day, the Nixons picked it up for a mere $75,000.'

I wrote about the house in my Post magazine story on "open houses." It's a house of a style you don't see much anymore, really baronial, with hidden stairs and odd back passages, almost like the house in Clue. Although very spacious, it doesn't have the showy, cathedral-like spaces of modern McMansions. The price has come down a lot since it first went on the market last Fall, and I wonder what that portends for high-end housing in the District, which I think had been largely immune to the real estate woes of the suburbs. The Nixon house didn't sell until after it was "re-staged" by a professional house re-stager, if you know what I mean.

From my story:

After much rambling around, I find myself in Wesley Heights, walking into a house that's actually plausible, a place that's commensurate with a man of my stature.

It's $4,495,000.

Tucked into a park near Foxhall Road, this Tudor home is a festival of fieldstone, a heavy house with endless rooms and an Italian tile roof that looks as if it will last a thousand years. There are four working fireplaces, a glass-enclosed solarium, a library with a vaulted ceiling, all kinds of back stairs, maid quarters and patios galore. Built in 1931, it has period touches that you don't see anymore, like a sewing room with a laundry chute and a built-in ironing board that folds down from behind a door.

"It has great bones," says a man who won't give me his name but is in the real estate business and is an open-house regular. "It's solid. It's stone. It has the old radiators. You have the fireplaces. Very elegant for the era. They just don't build houses like this anymore."

But even this house comes with a catch.

"Richard Nixon lived here," says the listing agent, Meg Crowlie.

richard-thompson-nixon-hous.jpg
Richard Thompson

Nixon! But of course. It's a house that's just a bit dark, complicated, heavy-browed, jowly. A fabulous house, but with a weird Nixon vibe!

She says he bought the house in 1957, while vice president, and lived in it until 1961 (there was no official residence for the veep back then). The current owners put it on the market last fall, but it didn't sell. They moved out, and the house has since been "restaged," meaning a decorator has swooped in and given it a more contemporary feel.

"She got this wrong," says a neighbor, sniffing through an upper bedroom that opens onto a deck. "This should be a sitting room for the master bedroom. Like in the old days. Nick and Nora, 'The Thin Man.' A lady's parlor."

I ask if she detects the Nixon vibe.

She does.

"It's not totally a happy house," she says.

But I could live here. First, I'd definitely have an expert come in and sweep for hidden tape recorders.

Rob Pegoraro weighs in on the Bill Powers essay on the durability of paper, which we discussed back in August:

"I've been thinking about this essay on and off since then--and in particular, every time that I find my attention fading before I can get to the end of a single blog post. Why is it that I can enjoy spending half an hour to digest an 80-inch feature if I can spread the paper out before me, but reading the same amount of material online feels like a chore? Why does the thought of reading an entire novel on a computer's monitor seem absurdly painful?"

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 14, 2007; 9:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Genius Bombs, Part 2
Next: Band of Boodlers

Comments

A young family who can afford a $4.2 million house? A young Rockefeller or Cheney family maybe?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 14, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

But the more interesting question is how much action are the attorneys getting. Because I've heard stories.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

It's official; I can't rite, read or do rithmetics.

SCC $3.745million

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 14, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

No offense to the lawyerly boodlers but attorney's s e x isn't as titillating as supermodel s e x.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 14, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I know about attorney-client privilege, but I still gotta wonder: How do they *know* these things?

Posted by: Raysmom | November 14, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hard not to confuse tort reform with reformed tarts.

Posted by: crc | November 14, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I remember driving by Vice President Hubert Humphrey's house on our way to my grandmother's house every Sunday. I always thought that was way cool... the Vice President living in a regular neighborhood.

My dream would be to be able to afford to buy a house that had a $750,000 price drop. That would go along with my dream to be able to afford a $750,000 house.

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

In Orlando, a choice, large house from the 1920s was nearly demolished because it was "dark" and out of date. The local government moved the whole thing to another site.

I think there's some real-world evidence that rich/powerful men tend to have inordinate numbers of offspring. Even in the USA.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 14, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

DR, whew! I'm glad you're taking care of your eye thingie. As for the job, I like your attitude. My google ad from yesterday said, "Do NOT hire this person." I took that as a good thing. No one should have to work if they can avoid it. As for excuses on the job, not being able to see is a great one.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 14, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Of course, a BOO from me: Thinking of the Holidays, Genius Flyaway Hair, Shakespeare and the Boodle...

KING JOEL V:
What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Weingarten? No, my fair cousin:
If we are mark'd to Blog, to Kit as it were, we are enow
To do the WaPo's loss; and if to live,
The fewer journalists, the greater share of online umbrage.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one journo, not one Blogger more.
By Graham, I am not covetous for Pulitzers,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my Kits or Trails or front page features;
It yearns me not if readers my musings read;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet links from other Blogs or Technocrati rankings,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a Blogger from the Blogosfear:
Observer's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one reader more, methinks, would share from me
For the best editing I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Weingarten, through my host,
That those who hath no stomach to these Comments,
Let them depart; their logout shall be made
And Loonies or Lindens for their ISP put into their PayPal account:
We would not Boodle in that user's company
That fears his fellowship to Boodle with us.
This day is called the feast of the Holiday Boodle Porching Hour, and we come to toast Error Flynn:
Those that outlive this BPH, and come safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Error Flynn.
Those that shall Blog this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is the Holiday BPH:'
Then will strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Error Flynn's day.'
Old Bloggers forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But they'll remember with advantages
What Comments we made that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in this Blog as household words
Curmudgeon the Ancient Mariner, kbertocci and TBG,
Cassandra and Loomis, RD Padouk and Scottynuke,
Science Tim and yellojkt, Wilbrod and Slyness,
Dmd and dBG, Raysmom and Ivansmom, College Parkian and frosti,
Omni and Dave of the Coonties, Yoki and boko999,
Martooni and dr, Nellie and Maggie 'O, greenwithenvy and mostlylurking,
SonofCarl and byoolin, LostinThought and Jumper,
And all the rest that have come and gone,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good parents teach their children;
And thoughts of the Boodle shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the Internet or Western Civilization [Whichever comes first, or should one cause the other. YMMV.],
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of Boodlers;
For you to-day that shed your blood, thoughts and words with me
Shall be my brother or sister; be you ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle your condition:
And Bloggers in the Blogosphere now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their keyboards cheap whiles any speaks
That Boodled with us upon Error Flynn's day.

[Exeunt]

bc

Posted by: bc | November 14, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Error in '08 (sigh)

Posted by: frostbitten | November 14, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

My comrade Boodler, bc, bestow yourself with speed:
The French are bravely in their battles set,
And will with all expedience charge on us.

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

How about:

Great Britain: Without Scotland, we'd just be Britain.

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Pure genius, bc, pure genius.

Bravo, bravo, bravo!

Posted by: Slyness | November 14, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Well done, bc.

Posted by: jack | November 14, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Er, thanks, all.
TBG, ya made me smile.

Slyness, the genius was the guy that wrote the original.

Personally, I aspire to cleverness.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 14, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I do believe you have reached and surpassed cleverness bc.

Posted by: dmd | November 14, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Tis clever ya are, bc, fa shoor. forsooth.

Error in 08!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 14, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of a BPH, do we have one scheduled? If not, how about the last week of Nov. or first week of Dec.?

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 14, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Standing ovation!! (Shouts and clamors off stage!)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Attorneys would report aviators stack up pretty well against those actors and celebs. Then again, I don't know who lies more, lawyers or pilots.

Posted by: frostbitten | November 14, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I realize here that I posted the wrong version of Joel's "Band of Boodlers" speech.

With that, here's an SCC:

"...SonofCarl and byoolin, LostinThought and Jumper,
jack and bill everything, shrieking denizen and k-guy,
CowTown and rainforest and ebtnut,
jw and Dreamer, Annie and even You Know Who
And all the rest that have come and gone..."

bc

Posted by: bc | November 14, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, bc.

Thanks for the mention. I don't know how my alias scans in iambic pentameter since I never pronounce it myself.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 14, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Maggie O, there are wheels turning towards a Holiday BPH. Please stay tuned.

As far as the actors, musicians, and models go; I wonder if they counted their attorneys in the final numbers.

[Please note that I resisted a "poling attorneys" pun.]

Bogus, indeed.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 14, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Since we announced the no-news that celebrities get more action than mere mortals, it's fair to mention that Maureen Dowd is breaking the story that guys like their partners young and good looking. And wide hips are a sign of high omega-3 levels that make for smart offspring.

And Dowd is still single.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | November 14, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

bc, that was outstanding.

Does anyone have conference call ability on their phone? I'm thinking multi-time zone call-in holiday/Error Flynn BPH.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 14, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

bc...

there are no words. Brilliant can't come close.

Posted by: dr | November 14, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Somebody in the last boodle mentioned that they had a Paultard for a neighbor. I'm trying to keep my affiliation on the down-low because both RedState and Wonkette have declared war on RonBots. If they find out my true loyalties I'll get sent to Gawker Re-Education Camp. Shhhh.

Andrew Sullivan (who practically endorsed Barrack Obama this week) said that Ron Paul attracts a lot of anti-war Republican support since no matter how insane he is, he's the only right wing choice on that issue.

Posted by: Pop Socket | November 14, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

BD -- a genius move, clearly.

St. Error Flynn.

Nice ring, that.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

That'll do, bc. That'll do.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Andrew Sullivan is a conservative, so this is very interesting.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think EF would have actually *hated* being referred to as a saint.

I resisted, but obvously the implication is there.

No doubt he'll take it up with me when I meet him at The Bar. Probably start out pretty umbragey, and I suspect we'll be laughing about it inside of 5 minutes (if time actually applies in a Bar that never closes).

bc

Posted by: bc | November 14, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Shrieking Denizen - do no not be fooled by their dour and seriously professional demeanor. I suspect that there are more smokin' hot attorneys out there than they let on. I think it's because of all those Latin phrases they have to learn.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, c'mon, enough chit-chat. Get we get back on-topic, please? Lemme see what was it? Oh, yeah, nearly forgot. Celebrity s e x.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"celebrities get more action than mere mortals" Well, perhaps. We can say with a fair amount of certainty that celebs are more promiscuous than the norm. I am reminded of Roger Staubach's retort to a question comparing him to swinging Broadway Joe Namath. Roger the Dodger replied that he got just as much sex as Joe Willie, it was just all with his wife!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 14, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

In his autobiography George Burns briefly talks about all the philandering his male movie-star friends engaged in. These men engaged in such couplings, George asserted, "because they could."

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Celebrities and their fornicatin' Why, I could easily be wild and notorious. It is only my deep seated commitment to the sanctity of marriage and my high moral standards that keep me from entertaining the many, many, many, many, many nubile women who would otherwise just come pounding down my door.

Yep. Lucky for them celebs that I am so gosh darn morally restrained.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Would it be to weird to point out that Nixon probably had "celebrity s e x" in that house?

Probably.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 14, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Was that picture always there, or did it just get added a few minutes ago?

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

My excuse, too, Padouk, except that I am short, chubby and look like Gabby Hayes.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Joel, did you have help writing this? I only ask because...

...the the celebrity schtupfest part of it looks a little like Liz's Celebritology.

...and the part where you wrote "They polled their ATTORNEYS" is 99 and 44/100ths% pure Weingarten. (Somewhere in a dank DC basement, he is at this very minute chortling, "You said 'polled', heh-heh.")

Posted by: byoolin | November 14, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

But perky, Mudge.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Perky Hayes?

Posted by: byoolin | November 14, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Very perky. But perky just doesn't seem to attract the likes of Evangeline Lilly, say, or Olivia Wilde ("13" on "House") like you'd think it would. I just don't know what's wrong with these starlets.

It just seems to be one d@amned restraining order after another.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

can see the Evangeline Lilly attraction, Mudge. She is, after all, from Canada.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes, to bc about EF's reluctant sancity-moniker. However, what about this:

St. Flynnian to rhyme with St. Crispian.

My son loves that speech (RD, have you watched Ken Branaugh's HenryV yet) but always thinks that Crispian sounds like overdone toast.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes. But she won't return my phone calls.

Only the first two or three were collect; I don't understand what the big deal is.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

CP - no, but it's on my "must see" list. Which is getting almost as scary long as my "must read" list.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

On-kit comment:

An American Studies prof friend uses this line to cover the fascination with all information celebratological:

"Hey, I am simply examing the ongoing, realtime autobiography of our culture."

You could extend this with words like "zeitgeist" or INSERT your favorite big-think phrase here.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I mentioned the "Cutthroat B***h" and got sent to see the vice principal. Later.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 14, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Olivia Wilde born Olivia Jane Cockburn.

Evangaline Lilly has a first name Nicole.

And an Action figure: http://mcfarlaneonline.stores.yahoo.net/kalose1mcpr.html

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Thinking of paper, most scholarly books are now printed on acid-free paper that should last centuries, long after stuff from most of the 19th and 20th centuries has crumbled (could St. Crispian be the patron saint of brittle books?).

On the other hand, Florida has huge state universities that are nearly free of paper libraries (not UF). Perhaps in a couple of decades, universities elsewhere in the country will determine that storing gobs of paper isn't cost effective. Why keep journals when you have JSTOR?

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 14, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

There's an Evangeline Lily action figure? Be still, my heart.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I have no patience with celebrity crushes. Get real people. These things are all just unhealthy fascinations.

With the exception, of course, of Mary Alice from "Ace of Cakes" with whom I have a secret unspoken bond of psychic adoration.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Must be the red hair.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Front page alert. Ya think "Celebrity S e x" for a headline will attract any readers?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

RIP, Ira Levin, 78, author of "Rosemary's Baby," "No Time for Sergeants," "The Stepford Wives," "The Boys From Brazil," and others.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, the headline reads "Celebrity S e x (plus Richard Nixon)". If I had to rely on the headline alone I would be too creeped out to click on the link - close your eyes and think of celebrity s e x + Nixon!

Posted by: dmd | November 14, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

This unseemly fascination with unobtainable red-headed celebrities must stop.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | November 14, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know how to cut and resize the Thompson illustration and thus called in the cavalry, in the form of Mike Corones, who has worked wonders. Looks very cool! And it's a great Thompson cartoon.

Posted by: Achenbach | November 14, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I take umbrage at the assertion that I have an unseemly fascination with unobtainable red-headed celebrities. Kate Winslet is only sometimes a redhead.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Copnsidering the number of alleged celebrity couchings is so extraordinary high, I wonder why more of them haven't contracted HIV or hep C. They must pay their people to keep it on the QT. All I can think of right now is the comedy routine where Al copone is sentenced to a dose of syphilis. I want to say that the Firesign Theatre did that schtick.

Posted by: jack | November 14, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

That pic looks like something from the failed theme park "Nixon Land."

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Of course, Joel, you do realize that to many of us simple folk you, Liz Kelly, and, heck, even Gene Weingarten *are* Celebrities.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Considering and Capone...*muttering curses to the fingers that hit the o and p key at the same time*

Posted by: jack | November 14, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Can the officianadoes among us name the authentic red-headed celebrities, both male and female?

Side question for the bonus round: Other than Thomas Jefferson, have we had the pleasure of other russet-haired presidents?

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Lucille Ball comes to mind...

Posted by: Slyness | November 14, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

CP - A gentleman never wonders about such things.

That said, Lucille Ball was a dye job. When she was accused of being a communist Ricky stated that the only thing Red about Lucille was her hair- and even that was fake.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I like "officianadoes," CP (though might it not be "officianados"?).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the save, Mudge, however the deer-thingie at the end is a bit herd-like.

RD -- Lucille Ball NOT red? I am crushed.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Reds: Nicole Kidman, Susan Sarandon, Bette Midler, Frances Conroy, Kirsten Dunst, Ann-Margret, Shirley MacLaine, Lindsay Lohan, Marilu Henner. Julianne Moore, the great Maureen O'Hara. Meg Ryan, Annette O'Toole, Annette Bening, Reba McEntire, Debra Messing .

Marilyn Monroe was born a redhead, according to legend.

Isn't Cissy Spacek a redhead? She has the complexion of one.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh for heavens sake.

What's wrong with dye jobs?

Posted by: Slyness | November 14, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

What sort of evidence are we requiring for someone claiming to be a carrottop? Demanding a "Still Life With Woodpecker" sample usually results in a slap or worse.

I, for one, am a natural redhead, but I'm not going to get my wife to testify on my behalf.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 14, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

George Washington

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Nuthin', Slyness. (But then, I'm not the one with the redhead fixation.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

And: Anne Robinson, Cate Blanchett, Courtney Love, Elizabeth I of England, Florence Nightingale, Geena Davis, Geri Halliwell, Katharine Hepburn, Marcia Cross, Mary McAleese, Mary Robinson, Nicola Roberts, Patsy Palmer, Rene Russo, Sarah Ferguson,

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, nothing is wrong with dye-jobs.

And, to all, I apologize for what comes up on your search engines in examining the question.

Annette O'Toole, that is a person not on the radar anymore.

My son tells me that Billy Jo Amstrong of Green Day is a carrot-top red head. But, he sports a boot-black look, complete with eyeliner.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Getting out my gender card: Winston Churchill, Thomas Jefferson, Vincent Van Gogh, Mark Twain, George Washington, Patrick Henry, Jean Paul Sartre, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Antonio Vivaldi, Billy the Kid, Shaun White, David Caruso, Axl Rose, Conan O'Brien, Vin Scully, Eric Stoltz, Mark McGwire, Bill Walton, James Joyce, Dave Mustaine, Napoleon Bonaparte, Prince Harry, Chuck Norris, Ron Howard.

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Fictional:

twin-witch/vampires Maharet and Mekare
Abraham Van Helsing

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Biblical/Mythical:

Mary Magdalene
King David
Thor
Ramses

Fictional II:

Sherlock Holmes.

OK, that's it, I'm exhausted, as I'm sure you all are too.

Posted by: omni | November 14, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This is very off topic, but it made me laugh. Title of this post - Best Correction Ever,

Posted by: dmd | November 14, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why, but my system would not allow me to see the pictures when the article was first out. Please send along a "Good Job" to Richard.

You know, there is some serious genius in modern cartooning.

Posted by: dr | November 14, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Omni,

FS Fitgerald was red-headed? Well, I never!

Omni completed the work of the boodle in a few mere posts. That'll do, Onmi, that'll do (in a very kind Farmer Hoggett voice)

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I join Joel in calling BS on the survey methodology.

"The median figures (the midpoint between the highest and lowest numbers) were far lower--26 for the men and 36 for the women. But that's still a good deal more than the median of seven lifetime partners for men and four partners for women found in a survey released earlier this year by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

That the median numbers skew in favor of the fairer sex defies everything I know about female sexuality (which is admittedly mostly hypothetical). In particular, it violates the "Times 3/Divide by 3" Rule.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 14, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I KNEW that Paris/drunk elephants thing was too good to be true!!! *LOL*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 14, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to delude myself into believing that whatever color a woman's hair might be on any particular day is, in fact, her natural color.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

What, women dye their hair?
One of my minion (a mignonne actually) has red hair. Like stawberry jellw red. Fushia even. Does that count as red hair?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 14, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

You have minions? I always wanted some. I put in a requisition for a toadie, but it was turned down.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I just don't know whether to laugh or cry at this story/headline: "Republicans Seek Retraction of Report on Wars' 'Hidden Costs.'"

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I want a lickspittle, myself. It's so tiresome to have to deal with salivary excesses on my own. It is MY spittle that is supposed to be dealt with, right?

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 14, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

omni, I'm calling you on the idea of Sherlock Holmes having red hair. Although there is a story about red hair "The Adventure of the Red Headed League", nowhere in any of the Holmes stories is The Great Detective described as being red headed. His hair is usually described as dark or black, and with the exception of Nicol Williamson in "The Seven Percent Solution", all meaningful portrayals of Holmes have been dark haired.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 14, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Great speech, bc. That is a real tour de force that deserves Boodle immortality.

However, you almost ruined it by later implying that Nixon had s*e*x in that doomed house. I know there were children, but I just don't want to think about Nixon having s*e*x. Ever. And, the power of celebrity notwithstanding, I sincerely doubt it was with anyone other than Pat. Even whomen who slept with Kissinger had standards.

RD, when you hear those stories about lawyers, just remember: lawyers are paid to lie.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 14, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought about an SCC on "whomen" but decided it probably is better as it is.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 14, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

belated SCC: minions an jello

Mudge, a toadie would be great, can't have enough of those but they are hard to get,that's for sure.
As for Tim's lickspittle, I'm not going there. No. Not on a kit about celebrity s e x.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 14, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, there was quite a bit of discussion in the French (as in CESM French) media about dating possibilities for prez Sarkozy. Apparently he needn't fret. Old dour Miterrand was getting some. Snotty aristocrat Valérie Giscar d'Estaing was getting lots. And don't forget your own Newt Gingrich drifting from his own patch while trying to impeach the Seducer. Powerful politicos seem to have a strange attractivness, despite their age and looks.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 14, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I think the last time I even heard the word "lickspittle" was in "Dr. Zhivago," on the long train ride to Varykino, when the young revolutionary was chained to his bunk in their box car, and called the guard a lickspittle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

SCC Giscard and attractiveness, cripes

Posted by: shriekink denizen | November 14, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

shriekink, it's the power thing. The caveman to the cave bit. The strong mate to breed strong children.

Using that criteria it is a wonder we've evolved, at all.

Posted by: nellie | November 14, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow bc, wow! That is wonderful.

Posted by: nellie | November 14, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, bc! :-)

Maybe Error would be okay with saints like these: Who knew?

Patron of Heavenly Car Help, St. Frances Cabrini

Patron saint of Trekkies, St. Martin de Porres

So tonight I'll say "Hi" to St. Error or St. Flynnian, Patron Saint of those who fail to plan but love Jethro Tull.

Posted by: dbG | November 14, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

My daughter asked me to "broadcast to your boodle" that today is National Pickle Day.

A friend of hers made it up, set up this website and is amazed at how far around the world it has gone so quickly...

[Achencommenteater won't let me post the real URL]

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

National Pickle Day, TBG, thank you for that essential information.

I vote sour-dill, rather than sweet or "bread and butter" style.

Vlasics are the best.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

We'll have to make a special kit of Henry V's...excuse me, bc's speech.

Posted by: Achenbach | November 14, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Statistically speaking, if the median number of sexual partners to celebrities is on the order of 30 and the average is on the order of 80, then there is a substantial probability that there are a few celebs who have slept with practically everyone. At least, everyone who has set foot (or other body part) in Los Angeles. I don't buy it. I think I would remember that.

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 14, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Vlasic? I sneer at your bourgeois midwestern affection for the pallid pickle that is Vlasic. Claussen all the way, dudes.

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 14, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

ScTim -- You are correct. THAT is the pickle of preference. I stand correctly and pickle-whipped.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 14, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, help me out here!

Everyone knows the garlic kosher pickles you get out of the big, deli barrels are the best, right? . . . unless they're the homemade bread & butter pickles my cousin always has.

Posted by: dbG | November 14, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I see my numerous amatory exploits make me, as I rate it, "almost famous."

Although Staubach is onto something.

I tweak the protologism to "officionado" and declare it viable and excellent. Def.: N. Lover of officialdom, both toady and martinet.

Elvis was a blond and dyed his hair his whole post-elementary school life.

Posted by: Jumper | November 14, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I cannot tell you how delighted I am to see National Pickle Day, TBG. I have some seriously great baby dills, real baby, not the things most companies are calling baby dills, waiting in my cupboard. And I have these Mennonite pickled crabapples that are like nothing else on earth.

As usual it sends me into long stories of a misspent youth. My sister and I were tasked with washing jars and lids for the seasons pickle canning frenzy. It was a long and boring job. In the space of an hour of dreams, we started a company making great pickles, became a nationally known food giant, went global, sold out to an even bigger international food company, wasted all our money on foolish things, and went broke. It was a good thing our jar washing was at an end, or our story probably would have ended up on skid row, where Colombo or Marshall McCloud would have found our bodies.

Danged if I'm not looking forward to the pickle festivities more than if was national champagne day.

Posted by: dr | November 14, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I am in lower Manhattan, I go to Guss' Pickles on Orchard Street just south of Delancey Street. I get the full sours. My wife likes the half sours.

I am so sorry I didn't get to celebrate National Pickle Day in proper fashion.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 14, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Bc, congratulations for taking the Shakespearan plunge. What a fine (and long) speech you chose for your first foray!

RD, regarding the story of k being a constant pest in physics, that's one of the thing that drives me crazy: the tendency to just write the same letter everywhere in equations and forget to clarify which letter is meant.

I mean, it's like listening to some guys say "hey hand me that whachamacallit, I gotta stick it in this thingambob."

"Ya, the spring one, obviously, cause you got that groove right there."

"Sure, and when you're done hand me the other whachamacallit, for THAT thingambob."

"oh we'll get right into the brillon zone then. Groovy."

I often get the strong feeling that physics was invented by guys who would rather grunt than communicate (people on this boodle excepted). If only Shakespeare had written an introductory manual to the wayward behavior of K....

I made level 50 on freerice, but didn't stay there for more than 2 turns my first time. 14/15 on spelling. They had to put pronuncation on there, damnit. It seems so wrong to spell it with nuns instead of nouns. But you must spell it correctly "nunc aut numquam" (now or never).

Now for something completely different in science:

Ivansmom-- "whoman" could catch on, especially referring to partners of unknown gender/sexuality. Of course there's the old word "leman" (lover).

And the thought of Kissinger's lemans stirs this tune cootie all of a sudden..

Gay go up and gay go down
To Ring the Bells of Washington

"Kissinger's Lemans" say the Bells of St. Clements
"Nixon's foul Argots" say the Bells of St. Margaret's
"Hostages and Smiles" say the Bells of St. Giles
"Nukes by the Cartons" say the Bells of St. Martin's
"Budgets in Fritters" say the Bells of St. Peter's
"Two Bushes in Iraq Grapple" say the Bells of Whitechapel
"Affairs in white.. aprons" say the Bells at St. Katherine's
"Power brokers in Thongs" say the Bells of St. John's
"Cocaine in Benzs" say the Bells of St. Anne's
"Cold war's gone sprawled, mate" say the slow Bells of Aldgate
"The future needs Ten Shillings" say the Bells of St. Helen's
"Let's Lobby for America Daily?" say the Bells of Old Bailey
"When I grow Rich" say the Bells of Shoreditch
"Pray when will that be?" say the Bells of Stepney
"I do not know" say the Great Bell of Bow

Hey go up and hey go down
To Ring the Bells of Washington

Rewrite as you please.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 14, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"hey hand me that whachamacallit, I gotta stick it in this thingambob."

But I say this all the time.

Posted by: dr | November 14, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

My parents used to laugh about the time my dad came home and told my mom, "Whatchacallit's in the hospital."

And she knew who he meant.

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Almost 15 minutes to countdown... the Tarheel basketball season begins at 7:00 EST. I think Slyness is at the game tonight, too!

And for those of you not interested in that, just remember... my loony bun is fine, Benny Lava.

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

But do you say something like:

Half shoot that effin' thingy to equal a negative whachamacallit times a half-shot X?

Or, "push it hard enough, divide that by how far it goes, and there you have that negative jiggly whachamacallit."

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 14, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I was with you, Wilbrod, until "power brokers in thongs". There's that unpleasant mental image again. Shudder.

I, too, occasionally refer to thingumabobs. My usual noun of choice, however, is "doohicky", followed by "thingie". My family either discerns my meaning through divination, patiently waits for explanation, or agrees without taking action.

National Pickle Day! Splendid! I had some pickled okra and beets at lunch - does it count?

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 14, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes it is confusing, but it's all in the context. When I'm reading about waves "k" means wavenumber. When I'm reading about thermo "k" means Boltzmann's constant. It's like the law of small numbers. We ask letters to stand for so many things because there are far more things than letters.

But there are conventions. Letters at the beginning of the alphabet are constants. Letters at the end are variables. And those in the middle are usually integers.

Do not ask me why.

Also, there are certain conventions that serve as turf markers. To an engineer the square root of negative 1 is "j." To a physicist or mathematician the same value is "i." (Which, as any right-minded person will tell you, is what it should be.)

Like all lingo, this serves as a shortcut. But it can also, unfortunately, be something of an impediment to those not well versed in these conventions.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine at work brought in something called a Kool-Aid Pickle. It is a pickle treated with Kool-Aid. This one was bright red. And, as odd as it sounds, it was pretty good.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Kb, that's interesting what you say about special ed students. There is a lack of curiosity and playfulness quite often that I have observed.

Sometimes it also occurs with normal students or students that just have never been particularly encouraged to apply that approach to academics.

I once talked to a computer sci major, who said he was acing the classwork. I asked him, what else are you doing with the skills? He said nothing. I'm not a geek, I'm not obsessed.

I told him that classes never teach everything; You must make it your responsibility to learn.

I think it's reasonable to say that schools simply cannot do it all, and that they shouldn't be expected to. Ultimately the student has to want to learn, and take responsibility. The best teachers make the students realize this and work harder.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 14, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

As far as I'm concerned pickle-wise, dbG has nailed it. I see no point in further discussion on this subject.

Pray continue.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 14, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Now that we have ascertained that you are not related to, er... anyone here... Welcome Aboard, DouglasG! Glad you found us.

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I much prefer the Hawaiian "da kine" to whatchamacallit, doohickie, or thingamabob. Now I must get some local kine pickles to make the day complete. Home canned baby garlic dills and some very spicy pickled green beans which oddly go very well with beer. What am I saying? Beer goes with everything, as do pickles.

Posted by: frostbitten | November 14, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

You are correct, RD. While I could wish for physicist to consider diversifying the runes they concept markers, my main objection is that the concepts behind those concept markers are not always taught well.

Introductory physics tends to introduce a new definition for a letter almost every week, so it's annoying, as I'd still remember k,f,c,b,a, whatever from last week. (Memory: great for history, literature, and language classes, bad for physics.)

It would be more appropriate for physics teachers, I think, to write out what the equations mean before summarizing with an equation-- as the physicists of old indeed did. Like you say, once you learn the context solidly, then the marker is fine. But too many teachers get it backwards.

One of the worst times I had in HS physics classes was raising my hand to ask the teacher to define the terms he was using and having him snap at me that he had already said that. After around the 5th time, I gave up. He never thought to, like, write it down on the board, you know? I'd be saying "wait what is k?" and he'd be like "this number."

For all I knew he could have been teaching ANYTHING-- springs, magnets, alien communication frequencies.

I never knew until the lab what he was saying and even so I had to do a lot of guessing. Yes, my interpreter was not the best. But ooh, his 'tude.

My GT Chemistry teacher was the dead opposite, great teacher. I always knew the context before we'd work with the equations.

Auditory learners can memorize lists of random words between 5-7 items in length; visual learners, around 3-5.

However when sense and coherence is applied, the memorization capacity is the same no matter the sensory medium-- and much stronger than with the random lists.

Studies are still working on tracking the difference between auditory and visual learning, of course, but this similarity seems clear.

There is no actual teaching advantage to writing "k" repeatedly instead of "Boltzmann constant" or "Coloumb Force constant," or forgetting to write the concepts and then explain them as being what K equals in this particular equation.

In conversation or writing between those who already know the subject, it is an advantage.

I admit, I'd kill for abbreviations in biology, and so would almost every interpreter who's ever interpreted biology. Those terms are murder to fingerspell.

Ah well, I now know the hard way how I should learn my physics equations.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 14, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

SCC: the runes they use as concept markers.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 14, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, yes, encountering a board of strange symbols is confusing. That's why when I learned physics my teachers always required us to do some preparatory reading before we went to class. I am sorry your teachers failed to do this.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

The teacher didn't even use a textbook. I insisted he find something. I even had my brother, the physics major try and tutor me and he was lost on what I was supposed to be learning as well.

I believe in preparatory reading, as well. Even a syllabus of everything I was supposed to be learning would have helped me find a tutor. I've never been so incredibly frustrated in anything.

Yeah, you can tell that he ranks as my least favorite teacher ever, can't you? Interestingly, the other physics teacher was even worse...

And this was at our common alma mater, too. I must compare notes with you sometime.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 14, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

What common alma mater?

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 14, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

She means your son, RD.

He, Wilbrod and I all attended the same high school.

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I know my limitations, I never took physics after the intro semester in the ninth grade. I do appreciate how you folks chat about sciency stuff and make it almost intelligible.

Oh.My.God. Mr. T and I are just in from the UNC/Davidson basketball game. It was a nail-biter start to finish, but especially the last five minutes. Carolina pulled out a win, but they didn't look particularly good. They had problems making baskets and brought to mind my daughter's middle school church league basketball team, the Fighting Chihuahuas, who had similar issues.

Posted by: Slyness | November 14, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad everyone appreciates the "k" jape I made this AM. I *knew* I was onto something...

Physics & science jokes are underappreciated, IMO.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 14, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

On topic:

I still say the funniest moment in the 2001 Academy Awards show was when Steve Martin said,

"Tom [Hanks] and Rita have one of the most enduring marriages in show business. And it's not easy to keep a marriage together in Hollywood because, well, we sleep with so many people."

Off topic:

I have posted some pictures and narration of the non-book-fair portion of Mostlylurking's recent visit to south Florida -- http://readthinklive.blogspot.com/2007/11/miami-book-fair-iii.html

Posted by: kbertocci | November 14, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Bc, Humor is relative, so you could argue it could have been funnier with c. Using g would have been a real downer, though.

As it was, it was... 'k.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 14, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I watched part of the Today Show yesterday while Dustin Hoffman was on. He was a big favorite of the show's crew for some reason and received a huge ovation from them when he was introduced; he even promised to tell them his dirty "ostrich joke" when his segment was finished.

So I went looking up his IMDB page and just learned all sorts of things about him. I knew from his Today Show appearance that he and his wife "have been together for 31 years"; they've been married since 1980.

But I also saw this quote from him that reminded me of our recent genius discussions...

"God knows I've done enough cr@p in my life to grow a few flowers."

Posted by: TBG | November 14, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

bc you left me out. Don't a couple of us fly by the night types at least get a footnote? :-(

Posted by: birdie | November 14, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

or the boodle has become too exclusive. boo hoo.

Posted by: birdie | November 14, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Birdie, you're fly-by-night? You must be a real night owl.

Aw, Bc didn't mean to spurn our feathered friends on the boodle. He left out Wilbrodog, and he's not complaining, he figured he was "You Know Who".

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 15, 2007 12:13 AM | Report abuse

At last, certified as an expert on *something.* Not that pickles are trivial, either! :-)

Posted by: dbG | November 15, 2007 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh, we dogs get our due in that play anyhound.

King Joel V later says "Cry splatter and let slip them dogs on floors".

Great way to cry over spilled milk! Or spilled anything.

Hey I remember another one, sorta:

"For there is none of you with screens so base,
That hath not mobile lustre in your eyes.
I see your hands like greyhounds with the yips,
panting upon the heart. The lame's afoot:
Follow your quill-wit, and upon this screen
Cry 'Cod for Kit and Boodle, and Error Flynn!'

Then we will have at them, with bold thrusts of fish!

Wait, that doesn't sound right. Bedtime for me.

Posted by: Wilbrodog | November 15, 2007 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of basketball...

There was a report yesterday of a certain college women's basketball score:

Lipscomb 123 Fisk 22

And it wasn't even a record!!!

:-O

*getting-ready-for-a-bear-of-a-day-with-limited-Boodling Grover waves*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 15, 2007 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Morning, Scotty, Mudge, Slyness, and all.*waving*

Didn't get a chance to holler yesterday. I certainly hope I was missed!!!!

Today is the Senior Thanksgiving Day Dinner, and I am looking forward to enjoying some time with my neighbors from all over.

Celebrities have sex all the time. I am shocked! I suspect having lots of money gives one a certain freedom, and that freedom is used to have, you know, more sex. After a while it gets to be old hat. Anything we make our god, soon turns out to bite us, except the real thing. What I'm shocked at is the fact that someone decided to "fess up".

bravo, bc, bravo. A fine piece of work. A nice touch mentioning Error. Sainthood he would not enjoy.

The g-girl is not here, she's with the aunt this morning. It is so quiet without her here.

Have a great day, folks. I have work to do and must get started. Got to wait for the fingers to go down, they're really huge this morning.

Ivansmom, I had to laugh at your assessment of lawyers,(they're paid to lie). And I know there is truth in that statement, and I probably should not laugh, but just could not help it. How's the Boy and that duck tape?

Slyness, your view of the basketball team is hilarious! You need to seek employment at the Observer in their sport's section. Some days it needs the humor.

Posted by: Cassandra S | November 15, 2007 6:47 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Got a major dentist appointment this morning, so I'll shortly be loading up on valium and demerol, and then nitrous in the chair. (I'm a *very* good patient with medical doctors, who can poke me and stab me and bleed me to their heart's content. But I'm admittedly pretty bad with dentists -- as long as I'm conscious. If they can put me in la-la land, then they can do any darn thing they want. But my participation is definitely NOT required, nor even preferable. If it was up to me, I'd get pentathol for routine cleaning. (Which today most certainly is not.)

(Please: no well-intentioned cautions advising me how many brain cells anesthesia kills. I KNOW how many brain cells it kills. I've knowingly slaughtered more brain cells in my life than a frontal lobotomy. I've got gaps between synapses so large that they've installed fiber-optic cables between them, with teeny-weeny little high-tension towers to hold the cables up off the ground and out of the underbrush.) (And believe me, I've got a lot of underbrush in there, too. There's stuff like kudzu climbing up the side of the tune cootie factory. I like to think of anesthesia as something between slash burning and good forestry management, getting rid of the dead undergrowth, the lack of which has caused all those bad forest fires out west.)

Besides, nitrous is fun. I recognize that the screaming can be off-putting to some of the dentists and nurses, but they'll just have to learn to work with earplugs. The screaming doesn't bother me at all, since (a) it's mine, and (b), thanks to the nitrous there's usually a three- or four-second gap between producing the sound and actually hearing it. It's like an echo with the first half dozen "helloooo hellooo hellooos" missing.

I've even learned a zen technique for screaming in the dentist's chair that completely bypasses the throat and vocal chords altogether: I can do it with my elbows. Really freaks 'em out.

See you guys about noon, I guess.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 15, 2007 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Went back and read, Genius, Part 2.

Exceptional, Mr. Achenbach, exceptional.

Posted by: Cassandra S | November 15, 2007 7:02 AM | Report abuse

You're right k-guy. Fictional II was an accident.

Posted by: omni | November 15, 2007 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Good luck, Mudge. No breakfast for me this morning, my physical is a 9 o'clock. I'm not really looking forward to that, either.

As I get older, I like having my teeth cleaned less and less. It's worse than a pap smear or having dilated eyes!

OTOH, it's raining here, so we have that to be thankful for! (As well as a win for Carolina, as noted last evening. :-))

Posted by: Slyness | November 15, 2007 7:17 AM | Report abuse

My tribute to redheads both real and literary is up.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Before I click on that tribute to redheads, I am inclined to ask the same question that I suspect is running through the mind of our dear Curmudgeon.

Is it safe?

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra your absense here yesterday was noted and you were missed!! Have a great day.

Good luck Mudge, Slyness.

Posted by: dmd | November 15, 2007 8:13 AM | Report abuse

My blog is work safe.

Clicking on the any of the links in this GoogleSearch is not advised.

There is smut for any interest.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Yello - are you *trying* to get Joel in trouble with his bosses?

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 15, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

ah,ha,ha,ha 3/9 http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/elementary/?page=Quiz41&Quizid=41

Posted by: omni | November 15, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Yj's blog reminds me that long ago and far away, red hair and/or freckles was considered a tragic beauty flaw. Despite the excellent Maureen O'Hara's Technicolor bubble of hair or the rumor that Doris Day was lathered in freckles under her pancake foundation, ginger was not good.

I can report that CPDotOne, dark-ginger and with a generous smattering of freckles, was never once teased by peers for any of this. Nor did kind, hovering adults say, "When you are sixteen, the Lydia Pinkham line of foundations will cover those freckles nicely." or "You can use Clairol Moonlight to tone down that red. Do you want me to lobby your mother?"

CPDotTwo, in fits of mild frenvy, dies her dark blond hair into shades of oxblood, cordovan, and mahogany furniture polish. However, the effect is strangely effective as she has the very pale "red-head" complexion.

But any discussion of hair must include the towheaded CPBoy, whose yellow-shock of shoulder length waves attracts women like you wouldn't believe. Strangers on the Metro ask him if he bleaches his hair. Apparently, a classmate has been banned by the teacher from braiding his hair in class. When he told the story, I though immediately of the My Little Pony toys, whose chief adornment is the mane and tail....Hours of hair-fiddling fun!

Posted by: College Parkian | November 15, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Ron Howard ?!?

Posted by: Boko999 | November 15, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I posted this thought on yello's blog (not verbatim):

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Jessica Rabbit yet.

How could anyone forget great line, "I'm not really bad, I'm just drawn that way."

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

SCC: "How could anyone forget her great line,... "

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

3/9 as well Omni, we have a book by one of those authors but not the book listed.

Posted by: dmd | November 15, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey yello. They forgot Pippy Longstocking on that list of famous redheads.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 15, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Because I just must.

check out the video along with the news clip.

I don't know who was laguhing harder, mr dr, me or the stickboy who might actaully need to know this.

This is something Weingarten covered once, possibly, or he got perilously close.

Posted by: dr | November 15, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

(without spoiling the quiz, I cannot say what is on my mind)

Omni, that is one bizzarro quiz scheme. I guess that one of the new tests for famous people is that

Posted by: College Parkian | November 15, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Whoops....celebs now include a children's book on the to-do list.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 15, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Jane Jetson and Wilma Flintstone are red-heads.

Posted by: College Parkian | November 15, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

dr, I am laughing I saw that headline and thought no I really do not want to know about that :-)

Posted by: dmd | November 15, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, enjoy your Lost Day under various anaesthetics...

bc

Posted by: bc | November 15, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

That's ok, dmd, you should see the video. REALLY. They do things, well... not with my morning coffee.

Posted by: dr | November 15, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm almost proud to say I got a 2/9. I guessed at all but the first one. Some of the celebrity names they come up with in that quiz are hilarious to me for some reason.

The ground is completely covered with wet leaves, most of them yellow. And the woods behind my house is filled with yellow trees, giving the world outside my patio door a beautiful golden tinge this morning. I can only imagine how bright it might look if the sun were shining.

Posted by: TBG | November 15, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

No, I'm making a meta comment on the fetishization of such minor traits as hair color. Go down the alt.binaries.pictures.* list someday and you will find kinks you had no idea existed. If you want some really odd stuff, Google "puffies".

Which, to make it on-topic, includes all sorts of variations on "celebrity". We are fascinated with pictures of famous people not enjoying the benefits of our hard working garment industry.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

5/9 on the celebrity kid book quiz. I only knew for certain one of them. We bought kids books on how well the kid would like them, not how famous the author was. The publishing companies figured out it wasn't the kids buying the book.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

My favorite cinematic red heads- 19 year old Maureen O'Hara as Esmeralda the gypsy girl in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" with Charles Laughton and skinny handsome young (believe it) Edmond O'Brien. Just stunningly beautiful. O'Hara was a remarkably durable beauty, looked as good in the 1950's as she did in the 1930's. Samantha Eggar in "The Collector" from 1965 with Terence Stamp. Essentially a cast of two in a thriller about a man who stalks and kidnaps a beautiful girl to keep her to look at. He's creepy, she's gorgeous.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 15, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Silly CP. Wilma and Jane are cartoon characters. Hanna-Barberra ones at that.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 15, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

New kit.

Up for business and already running.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

We bought kids books that were at yard sales and thrift shops. Wow... did we get a bundle for just a little.

I must say that Jamie Lee Curtis' "Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born" is a wonderful book. Guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes as easily as "Runaway Bunny" and "Love you Forever."

Posted by: TBG | November 15, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

9 guesses, 4 hits.

Normalacy has been restored.

Nice job on the Infinite Improbability Drive Scotty.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 15, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse