Campaign Trailin' Again

We come to you this morning from BWI, en route Manchester, NH, for campaign trail fun and frolics, our delight tempered only by the knowledge that it is going to be minus-100 on the Celsius scale, with a malicious wind, and not a single Starbucks to be found. Although there's a rumor that one opened. We'll find out.

The big news this morning is that Joe Lieberman is endorsing John McCain. Although McCain is on an endorsement roll, let us note that an endorsement from a Democrat, or even an "Independent Democrat" or whatever Joe calls himself these days, isn't the key to winning the Republican nomination. McCain has never had a problem appealing to conservative Dems or maverick Independents. It's the Republicans who don't like him much. That's a problem for someone who is running as a Republican. He'll do well in NH in part because nearly half the electorate is independent and can vote in either party's primary. As always he'll then have to go south, into the South Carolina buzzsaw. This concludes the punditry portion of our blog post.

With me today is Ben de la Cruz, dot.com videographer, who is going to share with us excerpts of his personal media empire.

[Hi fans of Joel. Ben here. Joel passed his laptop to me so i could provide a few links to some of my recent stories. Lucky for me I just finished a project in Japan with my fellow videojournalist Nancy Donaldson and Post bureau chief Blaine Harden. My favorite piece was about Japanese salarymen who are learning to say 'I love you' to their long neglected wives. Check it out here. ]

[From JA: Note the sly way I am going to get Ben to do all the hard work this week while I goof off.]

[Update: We're now in Concord, NH, at the State Library, a neat old place just across a side street from the state capitol. A press aide has handed me a sheet saying "John McCain 2008 Launches New Hampshire Independents For McCain Coalition." (It's like they were reading my mind!!!) Lieberman is apparently going to be a no-show. If we can get McCain on camera we'll post it in a bit. Major complicating factor: I am certain I am illegally parked.]

[Update: Now with Romney in Manchester at a small firm that makes prosthetic equipment. No wisecracks, please. It's interesting that he mentioned his work as governor in "a state slightly to the south of this one." I guess "Massachusetts" is a dicey word in Republican circles.]

[Now here's a McCain item, cross-posted from The Trail]

CONCORD, N.H.--Today is Independents Day for John McCain as he rolls across snow-blanketed New Hampshire. First the Arizona senator appeared with Joe Lieberman, the 2000 Democratic vice-presidential nominee who now identifies himself as an "Independent Democrat." With Lieberman's endorsement in his pocket, McCain soon held a press conference in Concord to discuss the launch of something called the New Hampshire Independents for McCain coalition. Independents in New Hampshire can choose between the Republican and Democratic primary contests; McCain told reporters that 42 percent of the New Hampshire electorate is currently independent.

But McCain also seemed to sense that he had to cover his partisan base. In touting his appeal to independents, he made sure to add, "I will seek the support of my party and I will actively seek the support of a majority of the Republican Party in these primaries."

Which raises the obvious question: What would it mean, politically, if McCain won New Hampshire but didn't carry the Republican vote?

How should pundits interpret that?

"Oh, if we win we'll win the Republican vote, just like we did in 2000," McCain told The Post as he carefully negotiated a sidewalk outside the State Library. "Everybody made a big deal about, that we carried the independents so strongly. We carried the Republicans. If we win the primary we'll carry the majority of the Republican vote."

In his press conference he insisted that, in reaching out to independents and Democrats as president, he would preserve his conservative convictions and ideals "the same way Ronald Reagan was able to."

He added: "I would only urge my independent friends to vote early and vote often."

A reporter asked him how he managed to get Lieberman's support.

"I put on my kneepads," McCain said, drawing a laugh. "Bent the knee, kissed the ring." He turned more serious and said, "I was a little reluctant to ask him because I didn't want him to do something that would harm to his political future," he said. "But I did ask him." Lieberman, he said, consulted with his wife and children and got a "mixed opinion" about whether to endorse McCain. Of Lieberman's final decision, McCain said "I think it is an act of courage."

By Joel Achenbach  |  December 17, 2007; 8:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How to Fix The Baseball Record Book
Next: Currier and Ives and Bonnie Raitt and Huckabee

Comments

First?
FWIW, anyway.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Joel, and all the other ships on the Achensea on this bright blustery day.

Ben, welcome aboard, and I look forward to video from your Road Trip with Joel. Remember that he measures distance by Carbucks Ventis, so when he says the airport is two 'bucks away, it's probably a longer trip than it sounds.

Also, I think you would be doing the ladies in the Boodle here a significant service if you would post video logs of Joel first thing in the morning, with his flyaway hair akimbo after a late night in the Spin Cycle Rooms and three hours of sleep, wearing a Lez Zeppelin 2007 tour t-shirt. Backwards.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Oooh, there's a mental picture for a cold December morn, bc! Careful, you'll do us in.

Posted by: Slyness | December 17, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Ben. Interesting story about the National Male Chauvinist Assoc. in Japan. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reposting a link to some tournament pics and our nonprofit's blog from the end of the last boodle:

Morning boodle, Martooni, Cassandra and everyone. Now off to drink a vat of coffee and catch up with everything I didn't get done last week while I was playing with kids and Legos.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else have trouble seeing WaPo vids? My browser keeps hanging waiting for admin.brightcove.com.

Anyway, I find this phenomenon of Salarymen having to make the transition to retirement fascinating. I remember reading some time ago that Japanese women have a term for their retired husbands, "sodai gomi," which I am told means "oversized trash."

A cautionary tale for working men everywhere. Except me, of course, because I'm never going to be allowed to retire.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

ooooh, bc used "akimbo" without saying arms and/or legs. Nicely done.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

'Morning yet again, Boodle. I was sadly mistaken when I said earlier there was no particularly distressing news this morning. There is this:

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

You're welcome, Slyness.

I didn't mention the part where his head is actually sticking out through a sleeve.

I'm with ya, RD.
We work, work to the death!

When we retire, we retire to Cubehalla, or Sto-Vo-Kube, if you prefer.

[bc holds his keyboard with one hand high overhead like a broadsword, jabbing it skyward for punctuation]

To work to death is an honor, a privilage in these decadent times with 401Ks, retirement funds, sound investment plans and strategies. Bah!

Forget all that stuff! Spend the money now, online while you're working or on our way home. It is our duty to do battle with the maelstromic tides of Recession by earning all we can and spending all we've got - and then some - before our lives are washed away from beneath our feet like Antarctic glaciers out from under penguins.

This message *could* be brought to you by the Republican Candidate for President, if I could convince the RNC to give me money.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

frosti - be glad I didn't use "akimbo" in a sentence with "bra."

Oops, I just did.

I apologize - but take no responsibility - for any detached retinas that may have occurred in the past 30 seconds.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Mudge I do believe that museum would be to me a glimpse of h*ll on earth.

Posted by: dmd | December 17, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' folks... boodling today from the Customer Lounge at the car dealer, waiting for my radio to be switched out for one that actually works right.

The more complicated the system, the more that can go wrong, right? I never thought I'd be taking my car into the shop because the radio doesn't play my iPod properly.

Remember the AM radio dial with the mechanical push buttons that slid the dial to your favorite Top 40 stations?

And on a different subject, here's another relatively new term that we see now every day but never thought we would: "Forget your password?"

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

For those who've not already seen it, I commend today's "Non Sequitur" to your kind attention:

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 17, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

TBG, my new password will be "frozenforeskin" (sorry; private backboodle joke I couldn't resist).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

*recalling a not-yet day-old conversation about car radios and cardboard facimilies*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 17, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

oh my. so many images, so early in the morning. *going for more coffee*

sn's 9:30 following mudge's 9:30 is also funny.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | December 17, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Now I have a reason to go to Stockholm. I'm not sure my wife will let me indulge in any interactive karaoke portions of the exhibit. My tunelessness is legendary.

I planned a vacation to Toronto a few years back because the Canucki production of Mamma Mia was hitting the boards before the Broadway version. I saw the show a good six months before New Yawkers did.

I am a sick, sick man.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Passwords. Ideally passwords are supposed to be "strong," you know like xBKl07#hh. But who can really remember these? Especially when everything from your favorite on-line newspaper to your bank requires one.

Now, the foolish thing to do is to pick one word and use it for everything. This is terribly dangerous. And, of course, like most people I did this for years. Then I was scared straight and decided to diversify.

Now I use a different password for everything, but have them all written down on an index card. Should that index card be lost, my life would collapse.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I think you've found the site of ABBA's Waterloo...

[egads, sorry!]

And Scotty, thanks for that Non Seq comic link. And the reminder of that conversation about CARdboard radios. Meant to ask NukeSpouse if her volume dial went up to 11.

Or if said radio has an automute function button for Presidential Press Conferences where certain responses are filtered out, the sounds of the car on the road being far more cogent and illuminating than what's said.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

bc... my radio is muted any time the current Presidential Voice is heard. Just can't listen to it at all.

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

RD, index cards for your passwords?
That's so 19th century.

If you used a yellow sticky note (like most people these days), that would at least move you into the latter decade of the 20th.

I hear that in the 21st century, folks get their passwords integrated into your Personal Ink.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I had inherited my grandfather's 1979 Sedan de Ville that had just such mechanical preset radio buttons. Watching the little motor whirr to the right station was very cool. I miss that car, one of the last land yachts.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

bc,

Some systems require a new password every ninety days. Getting a new tatt each time would get expensive and messy.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Interesting study in human nature here... There are several people in the Customer Lounge. One guy took a phone call and is talking very quietly, being sure not to disturb anyone.

Another guy takes out his phone, dials a number and starts talking in such a booming voice that the first guy HAD TO GO OUTSIDE TO CONTINUE HIS CALL.

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

yello, they *do* make temporary tats, man.

Also, folks have tats added and removed with an astonishing frequency these days.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The yellow password sticky under the keyboard is the new key under the doormat.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

TBG - was the person a Vogon guard? if memory serves shouting is one of the things they do best.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

My passwords are easy to remember, and yet I'm always forgetting. For one account I use half an ex-girlfriends nickname (nightmare) in german and the month I reset it. Another is another ex-girlfriend and her bra size. Another is a favorite actress du jour and her age....etc... and yet, yes, I still manage to forget. Well all of them but the nightmare.

I once played a joke on our systems guy. I reset my password before going on a two week vacation. when I got back I called him feigning panic cause I couldn't remember and had a stack of work to catch up on and really really needed to get started on it right away. He told me to calm down and he would call me back in a minute. He called back and said your password is: "youforget" I said "yes, that's why I'm freaking out". He said...

I almost peed my self from trying not to laugh. After a few more back and forths he hung up. A few seconds later the phone rings and he tells me he reset my password to: "Dumb@ss"

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"What would possess a person to SHOUT into his cell phone in a very quiet room full of strangers? It's a complete puzzle to me."

What you're supposed to do in that situation is to go stand very close to the person, and make a point of eavesdropping (and add your two cents' worth to the conversation as needed).

Posted by: byoolin | December 17, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Taking out a reporter's notebook and scribbling copious notes is also effective, byoolin...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 17, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

bc is in fine form this morning, he must bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Don't be a weather ninny Joel, the coldest that is forecasted for Manchester is 8F/-13C tomorrow and a bit of snow Wednesday. You are made of of sterner stuff surely.

People in the office wasted an hour exchanging heroic stories of shovelling this morning. Getting my snowblower delivered last Friday caused no small amount of envy. Spending good money on an implement that will be used 20-40 hours a year is pretty ridiculous but when the hour of 'blowing saves you 6 of shoveling it's pretty sweet.
Our network has switched over to 2-yellow stickies long passwords. Must be at least 12 digits long, have at least one special caracter, 2 numbers and 1 capitalized letter. And it changes every 3 months. So guess what, my desktop agenda contains funny entries in places.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 17, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Ben in the frozen North, where along with fingers, video equipment must be at risk of freezing (how did the Japanese manage to shoot high definition video from lunar orbit? Cold up there).

I had a nice Friday evening and Saturday in Washington. Friday:
-Edward II by Marlowe(Saturday's Tamburlaine was cancelled because the lead actor had fallen and broken several ribs). Actor who played Edward is super. Great new theater, but couldn't the restrooms have been bigger?
-Started exploring the Old Patent Office. The new courtyard's wonderful. The towers for air conditioning and such are very typical of the architect, Foster. Seen them at the Hong Kong airport. Kind of interesting that Metro stations have the same kind of air-and-light towers.

Saturday
-Arlington Cemetery, stuffed with cars, people, and wreaths.
-US Botanic Garden. Wonderful cycads, including an amazingly tall "sago palm" in the main room and lots of species in the "dinosaur" room. Including a couple of prosperous-looking Florida coonties.
-Capitol. No waiting, except for security. I finally got to see the old Supreme Court Chamber, an architectural marvel by Benjamin Latrobe.
-Library of Congress. The mighty 1507 maps are accompanied by all sorts of wonderful stuff, including a book for missionaries in Timucuan, the now-extinct language of northern Florida and adjoining Georgia.
-National Gallery. Hopper, Turner. Of course.
-Old Patent Office. The Smithsonian Art Museum has a show called "Legacy" on the Spanish aspects of 18th century North America. Lots of portraits, including a bunch of Goyas and a couple of spectacular Gilbert Stuarts. Almost a paint-off between the deceptively simple Goya and the much flashier, more polished Stuart. Check out the feathers the lady's wearing! Goya's King Carlos looks amiable but vapid. His son, King Fernando, is striking a pose and has big, heavy chains and a monster dog by his feet. Worth seeing the exhibit just for the monster. Having so many Goyas in one room is amazing. Why wasn't there a Turner-sized crowd? I was impressed by a sort of map of the big naval battle of Pensacola, not to mention a big map of the northern frontiers of New Spain from 1770, showing San Antonio and its missions, Albuquerque, the Jornada del Muerto, and Tucson/San Xavier mission, among many other things.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | December 17, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

At our office, passwords have reached the point of being too complex for their own good.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | December 17, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

My favourite thing about the 30- or 45-day password expiration is the fun it brings when one attempts to use the applications one only needs to use every three or four months.

Posted by: byoolin | December 17, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

TBG, maybe your cell phone shouter is hard of hearing. Whenever my daughter calls me on my cell phone, when I'm in the car with the windows down, she immediately YELLS, "DAD, DON'T SHOUT INTO THE CELL PHONE"

I do it just to annoy her. I have so few enjoyments in life.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | December 17, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The French press is all-atwitter about Sarkozy's new flame, former model and excellent singer Carla Bruni. They very publicly toured EuroDisney last Sunday.
Witch no.1 couldn't believe it as she is a great fan of Carla and hates Sarko.
For more celebritology stuff the Herald Trib (good paper if you want French news in English) has some more stuff and a picture of the beautiful 39 years old Carla.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 17, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

In my office, each application I use has its own password and each application of course has its own password rules. (One capital letter, one special character, 2 numbers, and a partridge in a pear tree.) And of course they expire at different times, so there's no way at all to have the same password on them all.

Mudge, I join you in major hurrahs for the Iggles in their defeat of the (insert derogatory adjective of your choice here) Cowboys.

Boko, sounds like you had a wonderful day. Your description of the slope is excellent, although it probably fits any eastern ski area.

Was TTTB yesterday, after a frenzy of wrapping, tree-decorating, and acquiring of our 42" gift to each other. Helpful hint: if one wants actual service at local Big Box Electronics store, do not rely on an employee in a bright blue shirt. Look for the one Faded Shirt in the place.

Posted by: Raysmom | December 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I keep my passwords for work related sites in a text file cleverly called passwords.txt on my desktop. The file lists the username, password, and date it was last updated.

For personal accounts I have a GoogleDocs file with the same info, but instead of the actual password, I use cryptic hints for what the real password is. For example "dog+grad" would be "chessie82".

And if you NSA guys would make sure my closed Comcast mail account gets forwarded to gmail, I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Howard Kurtz has a heckuva good column today about the poor practice of quotinmg unnamed campaign aides and "strategists" taking pot-shots at opposing candidates anonymously. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/17/AR2007121700389.html?hpid=news-col-blog

And speaking of taking pot shots, I don't ordinarily countenance assassination as a routine political tool, but methinks its about time the Dems did something about Joe Lieberman. Either a firing squad, or at least kick him out of the party and the Dem caucus, numbers be d@mned. Shred his epaulets, cut off his buttons, and break his sword. He's not only off the reservation, he's selling guns and firewater back to the cavalry.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

My son spent one summer working for a computer-repair company and said it's alarming how many people keep a passwords.txt file on their desktop when they send it in for repair.

I use another online notepad-type application to store my least-used passwords and have cryptic reminders for the passwords and even the page they are used for. Sometimes I'm afraid too cryptic. I have a password stored for a WF, an SP and an ED that mean nothing to me now.

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

TBG - Just as long as nobody gets your SSN.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, well, RD... I never give out my SSN. Unless someone asks nicely.

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

TBG has a nuclear sub she rents out??? Was 'Mudge aware of this????

Ohh, waitaminit...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 17, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

What bugs me about passwords is that so many places I have to use the darn things, the reminder queries are 6 things like 'mothers maiden name' and favourite colour. These things will never remind me of my core password.

It always rates a strong on the password scale and whenever I call and deal with people who administer passwords not on our system? It makes them laugh. Its secure enough for my simple needs, but people like you techie types could probably break with ease.

Welcome Ben. I'll check out the video at lunch. Working with Joel will probably be an epic battle for italics but if he gets ornery just feed him coffee.

Posted by: dr | December 17, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The passwords.txt file is strictly for those silly sites that require a combination of upper-case letters, lower-case letters, numbers, Sanskrit ideograms, and dog whistles.

These paranoid security people are their own worst enemies.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

TBG,
One of the great Catch-22(b) rules of computer failures is that the file or information you need when the computer fries will be the least accessible.

Catch-22(c) is that the information you would least like someone to see will be most easily found. Consumerist has tales of computer techs that routinely download all jpg and mp3 files off of serviced computers to a key drive for later perusal and personal use.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

At least bc's description of Joel-in-the-morning did not include red leather undergarments . . .

Posted by: nellie | December 17, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"These paranoid security people are their own worst enemies." So true. Mr. F works in a capacity where he often has to mediate between the techies, secret squirrels, and regular old users. Occasionally he must remind the first two that super secure and oft changed passwords lead to lists of passwords slid under glass on real desk tops, or worse yet, stuck to monitors.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Red leather undies are a given when discussing Joel's attire.

Posted by: byoolin | December 17, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Nellie, byoolin, you're just talking about the days he bothers to actually *wear* undergarments, of course.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I was going to say something scolding about how low the boodle has sunk. But, at least no one is talking about Romney's sacred underwear. FYI-there is only 1 Victoria's Secret store in Salt Lake City (THE GATEWAY
Lingerie
78 South Rio Grande
SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84101)

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey, boodle...*waving*

We started the holiday revelry this weekend with a meeting of the relatives from my wife's side of the family. I ended up cooking the two turkeys about which the rest of the meal took shape. There were about 20 folks there and hardly a chance to engage anyone in a conversaton about anything for very long. After having weeks without rain, the front that brought anyone north of the M-D line a wintry mix brought us nearly 2" of rain over 4 hours. Most of it fell quickly enough to simply run off, then the cold set in. The weather pattern makes me wonder if it's similar to a high altitude desert. 4 days of school until winter holiday.

I hope that NH doesn't have the odd/even system of parking for the purposes of snow removal. If Joel is illegally parked as he suspects and is towed, WaPo may see some interesting expense account related items.

Posted by: jack | December 17, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

i don't see how a lieberman endorsement can help mccain one bit. it reminds conservative republicans that he leans towards the middle, and it reminds independents that he supports the iraq war.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | December 17, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Stumbled on this poem via 3quarksdaily

Trust
by Thomas R. Smith

It's like so many other things in life
to which you must say no or yes.
So you take your car to the new mechanic.
Sometimes the best thing to do is trust.

The package left with the disreputable-looking
clerk, the check gulped by the night deposit,
the envelope passed by dozens of strangers--
all show up at their intended destinations.
The theft that could have happened doesn't.

Wind finally gets where it was going
through the snowy trees, and the river, even
when frozen, arrives at the right place.

And sometimes you sense how faithfully your life
is delivered, even though you can't read the address.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Game on: http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/education_1/?page=quiz139&Quizid=139

10/10

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

10/10 also, omni. Just good guesses on my part for several.

Posted by: Slyness | December 17, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of things on your computer you don't want people to find, that is the subject of Weingarten's poll this week.

And I found this link about service animals being denied access to a department store:

8/10 on the -ology quiz. I guessed on the first and the last and fell short.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

What scares me is that I didn't guess on any of them.

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

fb,

Maureen Dowd invoked the sacred Mormon undies in her column a while back.

Much more interesting was this debate over the phrase "When I was a kid, we used to drive on the Beltway past the big Mormon temple outside Washington." It seems Dowd was in her late teens/early twenties when the temple was built and previewed. The wingnuts took her age-stretching as yet more proof of the unreliability of the LMSM.

By picking a fight with a prominent right-wing blogger, I got thousands of visits and nearly two dozen comments, some enlightening, most just ditto-headish. I would be very interesting in hearing first hand accounts of temple-touring from anyone that remembers the event.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | December 17, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

9/10 on the quiz, had to guess on the first one, I didn't have to guess on the rest.

omni, you're good. You're very very good.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

la lurker, I agree with you.

I don't see Lieberman's endorsement helping McCain at all.

And to Mudge's point, Lieberman can't go back to being a Dem after this, either.

Amusingly (to me, anyway), no one wins there. Would have been better if Jokin' Joe had said nothing at all...

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

9/10--missed the last one, too, yello. Just found Liza Mundy's chat about Christmas specials. So now I have lines from A Christmas Story going through my head.

Posted by: Raysmom | December 17, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I should not make light of the holy underwear. In my pre-heathen days I was a devoted follower of St. Clare (patron saint of television)and a regular scapular wearer
of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapular#Specific_scapulae

Attended OLMC School in Newport News, VA where their wear under scratchy wool uniforms was encouraged.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

9/10 Shamed to say I missed the last one.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

just went back to read some of the answer/explanation and laughed at this:

There's no such thing as a kimnovakologist--though the actress Kim Novak starred in the classic 1958 film, Vertigo.

Ha-ha, I didn't even notice that...

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I must say I'm scratching my head a bit about the last one???

The right answer is almost 8 times the other three combined.

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

10/10 on the quiz... No real guesses. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 17, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The quiz reminds me of question I've been meaning to ask the boodle. Was Health the favorite school subject of anyone here, or of your children, children's children, etc.? I ask because I am tutoring a 7th grader who is having a lot of difficulty (low reading level). Why is this subject still taught by PE teachers who hate it as much has the students? It's a wonder anyone who has ever taken a public school health class would want to become a doctor, nurse, pharmacist or kimnovakologist (because the films usually suck too).

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

In my defense on missing Kim Novak is I just picked the right answer and moved on to the next question without more than a glance. It is pretty funny though.

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

9/10. Missed who delivers babies (was thinking U.S., not worldwide).

Wanted desperately to answer "exobiologist" to that one, but didn't.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

SCC: as much as the students, not as much has the students.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I remember two types of health class teachers:

1) PE teachers who hated it.
2) PE teachers who loved it, cause they were sadistic bastards.

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I tried to outsmart myself on the last one. No need to humiliate me omni. I should know better since my sister is one.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Frostbitten;

I thought Health was barely science-y enough to be interesting, but it was in no way my favorite. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 17, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I suspected as much yello. Overthinking things will oft lead to second guesses that are wrong, or something like that.

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I slept through health class with teachers who hated it, but couldn't get away with it in the sadistic bastards class. Oddly enough I got better grades in the class I slept through.

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

9/10 but the last one is a trick question.

I have failed in this test of 'foolology'.

Posted by: dr | December 17, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

You don't want to park illegally in New Hampshire. I've heard stories.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

On a completely different topic (sorry, Joel), I found Rick Weiss' article about artificially constructed DNA and the resulting life forms to be compelling reading:

When I read this and saw the words "Ventner," "US Patent & Trademark Office," "E coli," "bio-hackers," "bio-terrorism", and "pro-life," I started get a little nervous.

When I think about it, the capability to make artifically engineered life is a bit of a secret like steroid use in Baseball or cycling used to be.

A lot of us know it's there, but we don't talk about it because we don't *want* to talk about it. And we don't talk about it because we don't know what or if we can or should do about it. [sorry about that last sentence]

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Health was the hated class where they separated the boys and girls, and the girls got to go watch a movie starring the mysterious Aunt Flo, while we boys had normal, regular health stuff. The teacher was invariably the P.E. teacher -- in our case a punchy ex-boxer with big crusts of eczema on his elbows, named Mr. Green. We had no freakin' clue what the girls' movie was about. None. Zero. And of course nobody ever talked about it, except that it was some sort of thing to be snickered at. And the girls always came back embarrassed.

OK, now I'm 61, married for a sizable portion of a century, and the father of five. Somebody wanna tell me what the freakin' movie was about?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I loved Health class. Any time away from the gymnasium was paradise for me. Plus, you didn't have to shower afterwards.

And I learned that everything fun in life will kill you.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

My daughter is taking Health Class right now. Most of her tests are true or false. We have taught her that if the question says that something is bad for you, odds are it is true.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 17, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I actually remember one decent Health class, not the whole course, just one hour on one day in 9th grade in Okinawa. An Air Force doctor and nurse (Vietnam era) came to talk about that stuff they usually separated boys and girls for, but instead of asking one gender to leave the room they kicked out the teachers and very frankly answered questions for an hour. I'm sure some lives were saved that day.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 17, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The Mormon Temple in the DC area was being built from 1968 to 1974. It was a sight to see on the Beltway early on in its life.

MoDo was still in high school when the construction began and was probably in the car with her parents those times she remembers passing it "as a kid." I think that description is pretty accurate, if you ask me.

I visited when it was open to the public. I was 17 at the time, I guess, and went with my parents. I couldn't have told you before looking it up what year that was, but I would quality that as "as a kid."

MoDo probably went with her parents, too, making her memories of it the same as mine.

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,
the Movie was about some obscure punctuation issue, I've heard.

In New England there are special parking rules during snow clearing operations. Joel, heavy machinery or explosives may be involved in car removals during snow clearing operations.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 17, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll send you a private message with that information, 'Mudge.

I attended an all-girls camp one summer when I was about 11 or 12 -- CGIT if any Canukistanis are old enough to remember what that stands for. We had to take "Health" and perform a play depicting the workings of the female reproductive system. As I recall, I was a cilium in a fallopian tube, gracefully wafting an egg to the uterus. And thus ended my brief inglorius career on the stage.

Posted by: Yoki | December 17, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

You know Yoki, I never went to summer camp and have often wondered about the mysteries that go on at camp, I had no idea.

Posted by: dmd | December 17, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember much about health classes; I don't think it was much of a focus back in my day, other than the obligatory film on veneral diseases and one on diabetes. The pediatrician who started the sex ed program in the local school system was the mother of a couple of kids I knew at church. I remember she had us over one Sunday evening and answered questions about sex that we wrote down and put in a hat. That was a fun evening. No separating genders there...

Posted by: Slyness | December 17, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Canadian Girls In Training

Posted by: omni | December 17, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, thank goodness Joel isn't trying to park in Mianus.

(It had to be said.)

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

fb,
My experience with health class was identical to yours, except it was at Clark AFB in the Philippines. We got a very good "how babies are made" class in 7th grade and a more detailed "how to avoid VD" talk in ninth grade.

The latter course ended with the doctor saying "And don't be scared to come to us because we treat every case confidentially. Right, Mark?" Mark blushed and nodded his head.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The magical Mormon underwear has made me do some thinking--as to which came first, the Mormon notion of the protective power of the underwear or the protective power of Ghost Dance shirts, the idea of the ghost dance envisoned in a dream by the Paiute religious leader Wovoka on New Year's in 1889. Was there cross-cultural ferti1ization, if any, and if so, in which direction?

Known as the messiah to his followers, Wovoka was the Paiute mystic whose religious pronouncements spread the Ghost Dance among many tribes across the American West.

Wovoka (1856-1932), also known as Jack Wilson, was a Northern Paiute religious leader and founder of the Ghost Dance movement. Wovoka means "wood cutter" in the Northern Paiute language.

Wovoka was born in the Smith Valley area southeast of Carson City, Nevada, around the year 1856. Wovoka's father may have been Numu-Taibo ("white person"), a religious leader whose teachings were similar to those of Wovoka. Regardless, Wovoka clearly had some training as a shaman.

Wovoka's father died around the year 1870, and he was taken in by David Wilson, who was a rancher in the Yerington, Nevada area [Walker River area]. Wovoka worked on the Wilson ranch, and used the name Jack Wilson in his dealings with whites. David Wilson was a devout Christian, and Wovoka learned English, Christian theology, and bible stories while living with him.

One thing is certain, if you read the story of the Mountain Meadow Massacre--the Paiutes who witnessed the event, while high in the mountains gathering their sacred pine nuts, knew that they would be blamed. Rather than waiting for repercussions, this band of Paiutes spread in many directions, the witnessing of the mass slaughter scattering their nation.

I was looking at Mitt Romney's genealogy the other day. If Romney is descended from the colonial Greenes, as kguy claims he is, then Romney is kguy's cousin, too.

Boko really picked up on the link between the Bushes and Romney recently, although he failed to mention Eve LaPlante's book, "American Jezebel." Since Anne Hutchinson, the religious dissident--dissenting in an uppity way against my antecedent, Rev. John Wilson--is the common link among the Bushes, Romney, and author LaPlante, it all begins to make sense to me about why Romney got to make his recent speech from the Bush Library in College Station, Texas: the bunch of 'em are kissing cousins. And that Hutchinson family link also makes Romney of Plantagenet descent, like George H.W. and George W. Blood ties.

Posted by: Loomis | December 17, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Mo MoDo, I visited the Mormon Temple just before they locked it down from us pagans. Can't say that it made much of an impression on me. Wide, bright, airy, marble hallways that remined me of any other modern office building. The sanctuary was huge, some nice woodwork. I think I remember some kind of baptistry that was like Olympic swimming pool size.

I was 21, IIRC. I remember wondering what was the big deal about keeping folks out. Isn't that, like, the opposite of what Jesus wanted? Or did I miss the memo?

9/10 on todays quiz. Shoulda remembered that Carl Sagan was a cosmologist.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | December 17, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

10/10 on the quiz

I had a series of health teachers through JHS and HS. One memorable fellow in late grade school or JHS had a black framed glassed, a buzz cut, a harelip and looked plain scary. He'd take you behind the auditorium curtain and thump you about if you misbehaved during his class. According to the survivors of the experience, good behaviour was the only viable option. In HS, students could smoke on the smoking porch. We had a pretty graphic pre-smoke/post-smoke demonstratiuon of how nicotine increased both heart rate and blood pressure. I remember that the state Troopers also brought a lot of different kinds of dope in little baggies stapled to a piece of plywood that served as a prop to the harmfulness of illegal drugs.

Posted by: jack | December 17, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

10/10 for me. I think I've visited every one of those specialists! Though perhaps not the phrenologist.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | December 17, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Love this story, some times it just doesn't pay to be a Packers fan.

Posted by: dmd | December 17, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

See, dmd, those Canukie terrowrists are just too d@amn sneaky. Just by puttin' a cheese head on, they blend in with everyone else up there. Gotta stay awake, man.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | December 17, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"As kguy claims he is" Harumph, well I like that. "Claims" indeed. What do I need to prove my lineage, my AKC pedigree?

As far as the girl's health film goes, I'll tell you what it was about, Mudge. It was about fifty minutes.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | December 17, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, K-guy.

Say, this wasn't the one where several women, initially stranngers to each other, come together in a clearing and each discusses an encounter with Aunt Flo, each from a different point of view. Some of the women get cramps and bad attitudes, while others sit at home and eat bon-bons and watch Ellen Degeneres. Finally, they all beat the crap out of Toshiro Mifune (who plays Aunt Flo), and then go their separate ways. It was in black and whote and I think it rained a lot.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

RD, just curious. Do you mean they will send the ticket from NH to DC DMV and invoke your driver's license if you don't pay?

Posted by: daiwanlan | December 17, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

10/10 on the quiz. Like Maggie, I have been to most of those medical folk. And I once had my handwriting analyzed, that is pretty close to phrenology.

Posted by: nellie | December 17, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Tip to Joel,

With all those Southwest flights between BWI and NH going on your frequent flier account, get your daughter(s) to apply to schools with direct flights from Baltimore. Nashville has eight non-stops a day if you can talk them into Vandy. Makes it real easy to show up unannounced on Parents Weekend.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Joel writes: [... Major complicating factor: I am certain I am illegally parked.]

Major mitigating factor: It's not your car.

I, too, took the tour of the Mormon Temple when it was under construction
(and no, I wasn't old enough to smoke or drink at the time, but I swear it didn't prevent me from doing so), and I seem to recall the guide mentioning that the carpeting *was* going to be replaced after the open house. No doubt that the carpet needed to be replaced, simply from having been worn out -- how many people went through there, anyway?

It *was* a huge event back in the day, and only a few minutes away from where I grew up. I remember a big mural depiciting Jesus in there.

I'd add that during the Holidays the Mormon Temple visitor's center used to have an impressive light display and a live Nativity scene that was open to the public back in the day. Not sure if they still do, it's been a looooong time since I've been there.

Posted by: bc | December 17, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

We never got to see that film either Mudge. I think we saw a heavily edited slide show. The nun was too embarrassed to show it.

What I really remember best from health class was the term 'diuretic effect of chilling'. It's possible it was the cadence of the teachers speech. He was originally from India, and his accent and voice was so wonderfully melodius. He had THE VOICE only not a booming base one, but I do recall his voice reverberating in my head when I'd screwed up a layup for the 10,000 time.

Or maybe it was that the day was arctic cold, it was right after recess, and he had given at least 10 kids permission to step out.

Posted by: dr | December 17, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

And in further shocker endorsement news, Andrew Sullivan has endorsed Ron Paul. For President. At least for Republican nominee.

Posted by: Pop Socket | December 17, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

You had a P.E. teacher from India???? What sports did he teach you? Bollyball?

I loved this piece from Froomkin's column:

"Jenn Abelson writes in the Boston Globe: "The titles are grim: 'His Days Are Numbered,' 'The End is Near,' and 'The Official Countdown.'

"But these are not your ordinary apocalyptic tales lining the shelves at area bookstores. Instead, they are calendars, many, many calendars, counting down the days until the end of the Bush administration.

"As President George W. Bush enters his final year with some of the lowest approval ratings in his two terms in office, publishers are seizing on a disgruntled America and hoping to cash in this holiday season with a bounty of Bush-bashing calendars and handbooks. The countdown products feature celebratory exclamations like 'Yes, the End is Near!' or 'Hang in there! It's almost over!' along with unflattering pictures of Bush and quotes from the president."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I took the temple tour too. I came away thinking the interior resembled a Marriott hotel, which maybe isn't surprising since the Marriotts were heavy contributors to getting it built. There was a large, fairly impressive sanctuary room on one floor, but then there were all these locker rooms where the faithful have to change into their vestments for services.

I've been to the holiday light exhibition (which I think they are doing this year). There is a big mural with Jesus inside the visitor's pavilion. That may be what an earlier poster remembered.

Got 9/10 on the quiz--like some of you, I think the last one was kind of a trick question, though I was a bit surprised and the disparity in numbers.

Posted by: ebtnut | December 17, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

SCC: ...at the disparity... Must be close to quitting time!

Posted by: ebtnut | December 17, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. I hope Joel has resolved his parking issues without recourse to the expense account. He should tell them he's following a campaign for the Post; they'd probably give him a special sticker like cops get, so he can even park on hydrants.

Put up the tree this weekend, bought & wrapped presents, sang holiday songs. Very nice. Today I've finished a case, worked out the basics of another, and mailed two packages. Now I'm going home to drag tree limbs around in the sunshine. The city is going to send someone around picking up limbs, so we'd be fools not to take advantage of this (if we can just get the things up to the road).

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 17, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

In my previous post, "case" refers to the legal appeal I'm working on at any given time. No reference to any form or quantity of alcohol was intended.

I just wanted to clear that up.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 17, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, Mudge, we are finally under 400 days:

Posted by: Slyness | December 17, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Parking nightmare averted. Talked to McCain a little as we ambled to the Barley House pub for ritual meet and greet. Later had excellent omelet (sp?) at Red Arrow diner in Manchester, now at a Romney stump speech which should start momentarily. I filed to The trail and will cross post when I can.

Posted by: Achenbach | December 17, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The boss says, "Parking nightmare averted..." What, McCain fixed his ticket? Those politicians......

Posted by: Don from I-270 | December 17, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

ebtnut writes at 4:23:

Answers to today's Boodle Romney quiz: Why is Mitt Romney's real first name "Willard"?

Willard gets his first name of "Willard" from the Marriott clan:

Born on March 12, 1947, Willard Mitt Romney was named Willard for his father's friend J. Willard Marriott, a fellow Mormon who started what is now Marriott International with a nine-seat A&W Root Beer stand in Washington, D.C. From kindergarten on, Mitt preferred to be called by his middle name, which was the nickname of his father's cousin Milton, who played for the NFL's Chicago Bears in the 1920s.

We had an invite for the tour of our local Mormon temple but didn't go:

After the building's completion, an open house was held April 16 through May 7, 2005 to allow people to see the inside of a Mormon temple. During these three weeks, more than 50,000 people took a tour through the newly finished temple. The inside of the temple is beautifully furnished with African cherrywood, stained glass windows, paintings of Jesus' life and a mural by San Antonio artist Keith Bonds. The use of color in the stained glass windows, in a slightly muted southwest style, and the indigo and star motif inside the central spire sets this edifice apart from most all other LDS temples.

Mormon Church President Gordon B. Hinckley officially dedicated the San Antonio Temple on May 22, 2005. A celebration was held at the Alamodome the night before the dedication. More than 20,000 people attended to watch a show featuring over 4,000 singers and dancers, horses, fireworks, and presentations of Texas history, family values, and Mormon beliefs. President Hinckley spoke to those in attendance about the temple.

The San Antonio Texas Temple serves about 45,250 members living in an area spanning from Waco to Brownsville.

Posted by: Loomis | December 17, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Funny you say that, ebtnut, because I always described the Mormon Temple after the tour as looking like a Holiday Inn. I hadn't made the Marriott connection, but then I WAS JUST A KID.

Remember the Best Graffiti Ever on the railroad bridge over the beltway near the Temple? It said "Surrender Dorothy."

This reminds me of the chatter who told Weingarten that he had a friend whose dad used to say, as they drove by the Mormon Temple on the beltway, "Hey look kIds! There's Disney World! Too bad we don't have time to stop!"

For those of you nonbeltwayers... here's what it looks like from good ol' I-495...

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

It looks like it is carved out of Ivory Soap.

Posted by: nellie | December 17, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

From Joel's The Trail post:

A reporter asked him how he managed to get Lieberman's support.

---
I'm not sure McCain understands that the papal image is not the usual interpretation of that metaphor.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link to Joel's Trail piece:

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 17, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

On Lieberman's endorsement of McCain: courageous, yes. Wise, I'm not so sure about that.

Posted by: Slyness | December 17, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Do they wash that building? How can it stay so white in a modern city's pollution if they don't. Or is its cleanliness dimmed over time?

Posted by: dr | December 17, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Not on kit, exactly, but thread-compliant:

I miss the SuRrenDer DorOTheY graffiti on the track trestle over the Beltway, near the Mormon Temple loop. I saw that the day we moved into town, before I understood what the building was and was utterly charmed. I wondered why the building was not bathed in green light at night, but for the fun of it.

The act of d'erring do has a paragraph in this WikiPee entry.

Posted by: College Parkian | December 17, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, CP.. the graffiti seems to have bigger billing (albeit lower) than the original phrase itself!

The entry's use of the word "graffito" reminds me of a word my husband's mom and sister use to use: Clo, for the singular of "clothes."

"I went shopping and just bought one little clo."

Posted by: TBG | December 17, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I laughed out loud at "clo." They must be great people!

Posted by: Yoki | December 17, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure somebody is going to want to smack me upside the head for this, but I have apps on almost 30 different servers, so that's 10 different passwords there (because each server set has a test, production and disaster recovery server, all with the same password) as well as VPN, frame, LAN and many, many application passwords.

While most expire on a 30 day schedule, the trick is to change them all to the same password on the same day (servers excepted) to sync them up. So if one system is on a 45 day cycle, suck it up and change it at a 29 day interval too. If some require characters others don't, make it part of your password anyway and use it for all of them. Once you've got this down, change a number each time within the password, it's hard to forget.

There's only so much anyone can remember at one time . . . and forgetting the lyrics to Gilligan's Island would be a tragedy!

Posted by: dbG | December 17, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Hah, that reminds me that some years ago, Himself was in charge of a large number of railroad gangs covering a large territory in the mountains. He received a harassment complaint from a young lady who, without being able to identify the perps, reported that as she passed a railway truck the fellows inside held up a handwritten sign.

"Take off all your cloths!"

It was easy to find out who done it; all the gangs working that day were given a spelling test.

Posted by: Yoki | December 17, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm in awe, dbG.

Posted by: Yoki | December 17, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

If...
Rudyard Kipling
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Posted by: Jumper | December 17, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I know, it's overused and old and even over-quoted. It's what I need today...

9/10. Question 10 did me in.

I liked the "hair akimbo" usage also.

Posted by: Jumper | December 17, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Did McCain mix his metaphors? Catholics don't tend to say kneepads with kissing-the-papal-ring talk. (Any bishop's ring can be kissed as a sign of reverence; dates back to kingly/queenly times of showing deference) But the kneepads? I prefer to substitute my gardening image about kneepads than think too much upon the Monica L. invocation of kneepads as a pitiful badge of some sort.

Posted by: College Parkian | December 17, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Hair akimbo could mean fly-away. I believe that the phrase akimbo was mentioned in a HS P.E. class on square dancing. My A in square ancing balanced a D in basketball. I cannot do a lay up to save my life. One way to get of health class in senior year of public school was to invoke the Catholic card....which I did often, and headed to the library to read for the first time:

The Hobbit
Rings Trilogy

The smell of warm vinyl in the sunlight and the dust motes were part of the strange intoxication with Tolkien. I believe that Dan Fogleburg music and Jethro Tull wafted about in that era also.

I have been rather on-kit to day. With that, I am off to serve as sounding board to big ideas by CPBoy as he gets ready for HS finals. Thank Jove they FINISH BEFORE THE BREAK ON THURSDAY. Too many of his buds and buddettes return to final in January. What kind of break is that?

Posted by: College Parkian | December 17, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

So, about that Liebermann character. As you might remember, I predicted right here on this boodle that he was fixing to go Republican.

I was working on photoshop yesterday, transforming a pic of Hillary into the Terminator, when my sis the journalist emails me saying she had gone to see Hillary speak, in Boston, and so I thought the coincidence was enough for me to share with her the pic I had come up with. Man, she just exploded. Said it's junk like this that was just unfair, implying I was sexist, mentioned how people were calling her laugh "the cackle" and how THAT was unfair, etc., etc. I had to make peace. I guess I will have to portray Romney or the Huckster as some sort of science-fictiony menace as well. I'll come up with something. Goodness knows I feel more threatened by some of those others.

Posted by: Jumper | December 17, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Jump -- will you post said mashup pix of the pols? Remind of your blog link? TBG is also funny with the pix-manips.

Now, off to board, sounding....

Posted by: College Parkian | December 17, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

* surfaces *

Hi all...

I've been down with pneumonia for the past few weeks. Thought it was just my bronchitis, but it got really bad last week. And at the most convenient time, too. I've got door orders coming out my ears and was already way behind.

But I'm better now. Back to just good old bronchitis (he says as he lights a cigarette).

Looks like I have lots of back Kits and Boodling to catch up on (not to mention a million other things that have been neglected in my convalescence).

Hope everyone is warm and snug tonight...

Peace out. :-)

Posted by: martooni | December 17, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

So glad to hear from you, Martooni. Wrap up that throat, put on a pullover for the chest, and have a very happy Christmas.

And don't forget to finish your entire course of antibiotics.

Posted by: Yoki | December 17, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Hi, Martooni, so glad to hear from you. Take care!

Posted by: daiwanlan | December 17, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

//It's interesting that [Romney] mentioned his work as governor in "a state slightly to the south of this one." I guess "Massachusetts" is a dicey word in Republican circles.//

I remember Bill Clinton being extremely reluctant to let the word "Arkansas" pass his lips when he was campaigning for President. He virtually always referred to it as "my state." Who can blame him? I'm still surprised that someone from Arkansas was elected President.

Posted by: kbertocci | December 17, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Martooni, hope you get all better soon. Take care of yourself, friend.

Karen, I think in Romney's case he has a proximity problem: If he mentions his Massachusetts connection too much, people will discount his performance here. After all, there's huge growth (as McCain noted today) in the south of NH, where you have essentially a vast Boston suburb. Bill Clinton won the Democratic nomination by doing well in NH -- but remember, he didn't actually win it. Paul Tsongas won it. But Tsongas was a Massachusetts senator. This is Romney's problem: He has a higher bar. (Though the media haven't mentioned it much, so who knows how that expectations game will play out.)

Posted by: Achenbach | December 17, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I have relatives from Taxachusetts and they have not much enthusiastic to say about Romney one way or the other.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 17, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Speaking Irish: Jassus!

Posted by: Yoki | December 17, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Martooni, take care of yourself and keep warm. Hope you get better soon.

Posted by: rainforest | December 17, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to make a late driveby boodling.

That service dog story? Oh boy.

Service dogs in training (which a 6-7 month pup certainly is) are protected by state or local regulations (such as federal buildings), not by the ADA. I also have concerns about using a not-fully grown pup for mobility support.

Technically, he was not in fact covered by the ADA unless the dog was already doing a specific trained task to migitate his disability (Honestly, I'm concerned about the described task with such a young pup, for both of their safety).

The store did have a right to throw him out on the basis of reasonable doubt. He may be a veteran, but he has to learn what the laws really do say, and that "in training" was not good enough to bring his dog in quite yet.

I am certain Mr. Gonzalez will be learning from this incident and assuming more responsibility for dealing with access challenges appropriately.

Invisible disabilities are difficult enough to handle without being direct and clear on one's rights and responsibilities. Owner-training is a wonderful but difficult path to undertake, and I understand fully how he feels at this point.

When you're training a service dog in training that is still learning how to work in no-dog places, it is certainly appropriate to ask permission or simply work your dogs in dog-friendly stores first (which are quickly diminishing thanks to all the pet owners who have no idea what a well-behaved dog is.)

This is exactly what I did with Wilbrodog until he started doing trained tasks which entitled him to be covered under the ADA even though he was still learning the job. In fact, for a while I would be walking him in front of stores and relaxing so he could catch wind of the smells and sounds in stores and getting used to door traffic without actually working him inside a store.

I wanted him to learn without stress. While escalator work is useful for many people, I actually do NOT recommend it for anybody with a movement or balance disablity whatsoever. He was endangering his dog and himself.

Once, Wilbrodog and I were on an escalator and he ecountered something sharp in the flanges (he was on my right), and he shied and jumped backward, I caught my balance (I'm healthy and dont have back trouble), but I came very close to falling backwards on my head on an up escalator because of an unforeseen accident to my dog. This was with a dog who had always done escalators well and never shied even once. He had been jabbed by SOMETHING, and he reacted naturally.

Now imagine this kind of sudden movement happening to a dog assisting man with balance/mobility disability, and we're talking about potential concussions and coma and potential fall and further injury to the dog as well.

Also, there is always the issue of idiots who try and cut right in front as the dog is exiting; dogs have 2 pairs of feet and they need to exit smoothly because the escalator isn't stopping if their front feet are stopped on the platform.

Again, I'm sure Mr. Gonzalez is educating himself to the utomost as quickly as possible about mobility assistance and what most service dog organizations recommend about escalators and why. But he's lucky I don't know him, because I'd have some really choice words for him.

Posted by: Wilbrod | December 17, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I waited a day for the grief to be over, knowing that comedy is tragedy waiting for time to pass.

Dan Fogelberg is proof that sacchrine does cause cancer.

I loved the use of "Longer Than" in the wedding scene of About Schmidt with Jack Nicholson. The song has the same emotional weight as Colour My World at '70's proms.

I am in total agreement that I liked and owned his first album with the universally liked single "Part of the Plan." (Produced by wild man Joe Walsh, no less).

But c'mon, after that. Feh

Posted by: bill everything | December 17, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

The store did good, by the way, and they apologized which is wonderful.

Martooni, I was worried about your bronchitis, glad to hear you're on the mend and had it taken care of.

Posted by: Wilbrod | December 17, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

12/10 here (I'm in AP).

It was so sweet of you to say so bill everything. And this is just for you!

Here we go round the prickly pear
Prickly pear prickly pear
Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o'clock in the morning.

Posted by: MedallionOfFerret | December 18, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh my, Jumper's 7:28 cracked me up..."working in photoshop, transforming a picure of Hillary into the Terminator" is funny! Even if she is your candidate!

I have a soft spot for Joe Lieberman, I admit it. My husband gets a pained look on his face at the mention of his name, but I remember the 2000 convention when he came to the podium after he had been introduced and he said something like, "Is this a great country or what?" I've never forgotten the way he said it. I believe he meant it. Not in the disgusting way some unnamed candidates pander to the worst instincts of certain parts of the electorate but in a genuine heartfelt way. I don't really agree with him, but I can't help but respect his willingness to take a stand. That said, GO DEMS!

bill e - there you go again! heheheh

Posted by: Kim | December 18, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Some will bend the knee and kiss the ring and others won't--former Massachusetts governor William Weld on pulling the plug on his nomination [by Clinton] to be ambassador to Mexico (Sept. 16,1997, NYT):

In the mocking tone and simple grammar of a schoolboy who has to describe his inane summer vacation, Mr. Weld said: ''I met lots of people who are experts in the way that Government in Washington works. And they said, 'We can't just have a hearing; first you have to go on bended knee and you have to kiss a lot of rings.' Well, my mother and father taught me that I'm no better than anybody else, but also that I'm no worse. So I said I wouldn't go on bended knee and I wouldn't kiss anything.''

Posted by: Loomis | December 18, 2007 12:56 AM | Report abuse

And we don't want another president known for bending and kissing, of course.

Posted by: Wilbrod | December 18, 2007 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Martooni, glad to hear you're okay. Take care of yourself.

I'm still popping pills and hurting. The leg isn't quite as bad as it was, but I think that's because of the pain medication.

Didn't get a chance to check in yesterday, my car died on me. With all I have going on, my car died, which means I'm stuck at home without transportation. I know I'm God's favorite.

It seems McCain does a lot of kissing. I just hope when he goes to South Carolina he won't use that approach there. He's already done too much kissing in that state, and those folks were some kind of nasty to him. They talked about McCain in the worst way when he and Bush were down before Bush got elected President. Of course, they also talked about African-Americans in the worst way, but that is par for the course. And they never, ever, apologized.

Got to go. We can't miss the bus this morning. And it is so cold outside.

Morning, Mudge, Scotty, Slyness, and all.*waving*

Posted by: Cassandra S | December 18, 2007 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Cassandra. It is twenty degrees here. Glad to read Martooni's posting last night and yours this early morning. keep warm and take care.

Posted by: daiwanlan | December 18, 2007 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, just remember, good things come to those who wait... *HUGSSSSSSSSSSS* :-)

Martooni, good to hear from ya, and STAY WARM, dagnabit!!!

*extra-energetic-like-a-puppy-greeting-the-mailman Grover waves*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 18, 2007 7:39 AM | Report abuse

My affection for Folgerberg has less to do with the objective quality of his music than it does with the unique position that his music occupied in my life. I am sure everyone can recall songs that are in no way exceptional, but are still personally meaningful because of the memories they evoke. Such songs are like friends you knew in High School. Sure, they might not have been the cool kids, but they are still fun to reminisce with now and again.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 18, 2007 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Pain medication is a good thing Cassandra.

Martooni - Speakin' of drugs, I second the reminder to be sure to take the entire course of antibiotics. If you don't, all that you will do is kill the wimpy germs thus allowing the rowdy ones to take over the joint. Trust me, you do not want this.

And as long as I am channeling my grandmother, for heaven's sake make sure you wear a warm scarf.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 18, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

RD, I totally agree.

Thanks for the hug, Scotty.

The g-girl and I have been out, and she was even perky this morning with ground white like snow. Frosty! She wanted to know where abouts of the car. I explained to her the car was broke. Of course, that opened the conversation up to a thousand questions, each when asked in total ernestness and when answered, another one brought forth. It finally ended with, the car will be home soon. I don't think that satisfied, but perkiness does not endure long conversations. One has to move on to the berries on the bush or the neighbor across the street.

Ivansmom, on the news they say your state is still in the dark. I hope that's not in your neck of the woods. Keep warm.

Slyness, it is so cold here, my knees were literally screaming while outside. I know I'm going to pay dearly for the bus stop this morning.

Posted by: Cassandra S | December 18, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Excuse the mistakes in the 7:50 post. Hands balled up in a knot. Cold reeks havoc on all things, especially those that are old.

Posted by: Cassandra S | December 18, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Fogleberg songs were certainly part of my high school oeuvre (early for that word, sorry).

This from Cassandra:

This made me chuckle and I shall use the "get on to another berry on the bush" at CPBoy in a moment when he lingers too slowly.

Nippy and frosty here too. Birthday in the family today, and one week to Christmas: today is the official decorating day in the house.

Posted by: College Parkian | December 18, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

*faxin' Martooni a neon pink Post-It note: TAKE ALL THE ANTIBIOTICS!!!! (just not all at once)*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 18, 2007 8:03 AM | Report abuse

martoon,
Keep the heat on. Those viruses are sneaky things. We went and got our flu shots at ChainDrugStore last week and the insurance paid it all. My wife and son had paid full retail last year with the same plan. Go figure.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 18, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Good to hear from you Martooni, I add my voice to the others regarding the antibiotics. Cassandra, I hope your car gets well soon, hard to be without wheels. CP, we also have a birthday today, #2 granddaughter. She and her sister will be here tonight to help decorate cookies while the parents go Santa shopping. It is in the teens here this morning. The only problem with my short commute is that the car doesn't even warm up until I'm almost at work. I know, not much of a problem. ;-)

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | December 18, 2007 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Morning boodle! Foggy, "Why didn't I set the coffee maker up last night?" waves.

Interesting, and disturbing, piece on the role of modern democracies in torture in the Boston Globe today. This from near the end:

When we examine the history of modern torture technique by technique - and there are dozens of examples - we find that newer, "cleaner" tortures first appear in conditions of public monitoring, usually in democratic states. It is only afterward that we find authoritarian states adopting them.

If the spread of torture techniques suggests a blurry line between "us" and "them," it also teaches that there's no real boundary between "there" and "here." It would be ignoring history to assume that what happens in an American-run prison in Iraq will stay in Iraq. Soldiers who learn torture techniques abroad get jobs as police when they return, and the new developments in torture you read about today could yet be employed in a neighborhood near you.

Read the rest here:

Posted by: frostbitten | December 18, 2007 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Frosti, Besides McCain, has any other candidate been clear and determined about the no torture moral imperative? I am fast becoming a one-issue voter on this issue.

Posted by: College Parkian | December 18, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Scotty N? You out there? Get to the new kit immediately....old home place of yourn.

Posted by: College Parkian | December 18, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Good frosty morning, everybody! Cassandra, I hope you are staying warm and keeping appropriate warmth on the joints that don't like the cold. I know, that would be all of them...at least it is for me!

Temperature was 22 when I looked first thing, colder here than at the weather station closest to the mountain place, which registered 27. But I took the walk anyway. The frost was so heavy, it looked like a young snow, as my dad used to say. Fortunately, I found my earmuffs yesterday, so I wasn't terribly uncomfortable. It feels good to be inside and sitting down, though...

Martooni, take the drugs till the very end and keep the long underwear on.

Posted by: Slyness | December 18, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse