Huckabee's Big Whiff; Plus, Luckiest Man Alive?

The Huckabee campaign needs to get a subscription to a newspaper or somehow find a way to let the candidate know what the biggest political story of the day is. Maybe someone can take a peek at CNN once a day?

Staff needs to brief Huckabee on other recent Iran developments, including:

1. Shah no longer in power.

2. Had war in 80s with Iraq.

3. Failure to cut off beer sales after seventh inning of Ayatollah Khomeini funeral resulted in mayhem.

4. Leader denies Holocaust the way Huckabee denies evolution.

Great piece by Libby Copeland on the lovey-dovey kissy-smoochy Kuciniches.

PH2007120402157.jpg

PH2007120402363.jpg

There's a war going on. There is injustice, poverty, intolerance, crime, despair and all manner of debilitating ennui.

PH2007102202538.jpg

Let's get serious, people.

kucinich and wife.jpg

The country's future is at stake and this is no time to horse around!!!

beth kucinich.jpg

[By email, a reader submits this Q & A:

Question: "If I can marry this incredibly brilliant, beautiful woman, I mean, why
wouldn't I think that I can be president of the United States?" - Dennis J. Kucinich

Answer: Because the rest of us are not delusional and there's not enough thorazine available to tranquilize the entire electorate between now and the Iowa caucuses. ]

Interesting discussion here of the TV trope of unprepossessing guy and scorching wife.

This just in: Clinton has big lead in three big states (remember I was yammering in the boodle that Florida may be key to this thing?). The numbers are from the poll conducted by folks at Quinnipiac University:

FLORIDA: Clinton 53 - Obama 17; Giuliani 30 - Romney 12;
OHIO: Clinton 45 - Obama 19; Giuliani 29 - McCain 13;
PENNSYLVANIA: Clinton 43 - Obama 15; Giuliani 27 - Huckabee, McCain 13

I just can't understand why this story on the future of the Washington Post company makes no mention at all of the Achenblog. Possibly a mere oversight by Ahrens. Doesn't he know we've now got pictures in addition to text???

More on Joe Gibbs.

By Joel Achenbach  |  December 5, 2007; 10:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World War III: Never Mind
Next: Big Mistakes

Comments

1st?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

1st?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Inaugural snow from Ohio Valley arrived in DC area this morning. Hi, Cassandra. Hi, Martooni. Good to know you are well and have a blessed day.

Posted by: daiwanlan | December 5, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Who's the gnome stalking the beautiful red head?

Why even future writers should listen during arithmetic courses:
Ottawa Citizen Published: Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Police and fire are on the scene at North Dundas District High School on County Road 43 in Chesterville after a vehicle crashed into some propane tanks shortly after 8 a.m. Wednesday morning, causing a leak.
Alarm bells were sounding at the school. There was no immediate information on how many students were in the school at the time but they were sent to the nearby Maple Ridge Public School.
Superior Propane and the Ministry of the Environment have been notified. There are two sets of tanks at the school. Two 500-gallon tanks have a combined capacity of 3,000 litres (my note: conversion factor of 3 liters per gallon). Two 123-gallon tanks have a capacity of 400 litres (my note: conversion factor of either 3.25 liters or 1.63 liters per gallon depending if combined or individual capacities are used). It was not clear which of the tanks was struck.

Real conversion factors:
1 US gallon is defined as 3.785411784 liters in some piece of US legislation.
1 imp. Gal. is 10 lbs of water at 60F, hence about 4.54 liters.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 5, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

When we get italics, Joel. That's when the Achenblog will be fully recognized.

I sure hope RD doesn't see the Kit today until he gets home. I'd hate to think of him seeing those pictures while he's on the road.

Posted by: TBG | December 5, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Re-posted:Martooni mentions "Animal House" and the Greg Marmalard character and I immediately flash on Greg and his best girl Mandy parked in lover's lane. She snaps off a pair of latex gloves after giving him a ... smile. IIRC in the "postscript" reveal we learn that Mandy married (future Senator) Blutarsky and Greg was involved in Watergate and subsequently raped in prison. Perhaps the Mittster will be spared such indignities.

My candidate poll- Dodd(?) and Obama

Is it just me, or do the photos of the Kuciniches make you think of a cartoon, "Roger Rabbit" maybe?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | December 5, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

When I saw that article and photo today, I immediately thought of RD and the palpitations it would cause.

Posted by: Raysmom | December 5, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Got any DC traffic camera links? I'd like to watch this. I know all you guys in DC have your snowtires on, right?

SD. I have friends in Chesterville, it's a lovely little town, I hope everthing turns out all right.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Jessica Rabbit. Precisely. It has been noted occasionally by observers.

This is kind of interesting, a study of the trope of "ugly guy/hot wife":

Posted by: Achenbach | December 5, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Here you go, Boko... knock yourself out...

Posted by: TBG | December 5, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Joel... I've always wondered about that ugly guy/hot wife on TV thing. I can think of it back to Jackie Gleason, but it may go further than that (is there further than that on TV?).

Posted by: TBG | December 5, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. I expect that the right wing will notice that the Liberal Media Elite are inserting their tentacles into impressionable minds of America's kids, so the next generation will flock to newspapers. Could we see legislation to protect kids by prohibiting ownership of education companies by newspapers?

Oregon looks like it's suffering the equivalent of a very wet hurricane.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | December 5, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

yello's gonna love this kit.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Tanks T!

Posted by: b9 | December 5, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I believe that it is Lisa de Moraes that calls the ugly guy\hot wife syndrome "Male Pattern Optimism."

Posted by: kurosawaguy | December 5, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"I really do think those of us who write about the campaign should focus more on the important issues and not on stupid stuff like the appearance of a candidate's spouse."

I agree entirely, Joel. However (and there's *always* a 'however', isn't there?), in this case the important issue that Dennis Kucinich has an orders-of-magnitude poorer chance of becoming President than he did of somehow marrying woman as attractive as Big Red, there? (I hereby estimate the odds of the latter as roughly equivalent to winning the Powerball and the former as roughly equivalent to winning the Powerball AND being hit by lightning at the same instant.)

I therefore respectfully submit that in this case, Mrs. K is second to none, newsworthinesswise.

Posted by: byoolin | December 5, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

SCC: is, as in, "...the important issue is that Dennis..."

Posted by: byoolin | December 5, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Left the house at 6:20 AM to drive my usual 50 miles to work, a ride that usually takes about 65 minutes. Snow was just starting. Two hours later I was less than halfway there, and the traffic on I 270 S at a standstill, due to the road being closed as it turns out.

Nightmare indeed. I wiggled my way to an off-ramp and went home (trip took another 35 minutes, but who's counting?). By this time, sections of 270 and adjacent roads were icing in advance of surface treatment
(sand, salt, cinders, etc.). The situation on some of the back roads is bad, with cars stuck and unable to get up some of the steeper hills (there were crews out in the trouble spots, assisting motorists). I was able to navigate the tough spots easily mainly due to the fact that I have *real snow tires* on my car and that maintaining momentum on uphill sections is important.

Remember, folks: If you live where it snows at least twice a month during the winter, you should consider investing in a seperate set of wheels and snow tires rather than relying on "All Season" tires (which is about 3/4 accurate) year round.

I just bought a pair of snow tires for $118 after tax, and if you ask me, they just paid for themselves.

Now, onto the Kit: I think you might have less trouble writing that piece you've been grousing about if you kept your mind on the candidate you're supposed to be writing about rather than some willowy redhead...

bc

Posted by: bc | December 5, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

SCC#2: Obviously, that second question mark after that second "there" shouldawouldacoulda been a period.

Posted by: byoolin | December 5, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Canadain author WO Mitchell was a physically unprepossessing guy. He liked to tell the story of the boxing match Ernest Hemmingway challenged him to. Apparently Hemmingway didn't like to fight people his owm size. Anyway WO beat the bejesus out of the blowhard.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Ms. K. looks suspiciously like the daughter of the Hon. Wm. J. LePetomaine's secretary. No wonder why the Congressman smiles so much: work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work...How'ya doin', boys???

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

This might seem off topic but keep going, it gets to the point eventually

The World Isn't Fair
by Randy Newman

When Karl Marx was a boy
he took a hard look around
He saw people were starving all over the place
while others were painting the town
The public spirited boy
became a public spirited man
So he worked very hard and he read everything
until he came up with a plan

There'll be no exploitation
of the worker or his kin
No discrimination 'cause of the color of your skin
No more private property
It would not be allowed
No one could rise too high
No one could sink too low
or go under completely like some we all know

If Marx were living today
he'd be rolling around in his grave
And if I had him here in my mansion on the hill
I'd tell him a story t'would give his old heart a chill

It's something that happened to me
I'd say, Karl I recently stumbled into a new family
with two little children in school
where all little children should be
I went to the orientation
All the young mommies were there
Karl, you never have seen such a glorious sight
as these beautiful women arrayed for the night
just like countesses, empresses, movie stars and queens
And they'd come there with men much like me
Froggish men, unpleasant to see
Were you to kiss one, Karl
Nary a prince would there be

Oh Karl the world isn't fair
It isn't and never will be
They tried out your plan
It brought misery instead
If you'd seen how they worked it
you'd be glad you were dead
just like I'm glad I'm living in the land of the free
where the rich just get richer
and the poor you don't ever have to see
It would depress us, Karl
Because we care
that the world still isn't fair

Posted by: kbertocci | December 5, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Yup, dr, I posted the link to the videos of Romney, courtesy of the Boston Globe. The first is a video of an interview with the man who cuts Romney's hair. If you listened to it and watched it, you'll learn that Romney doesn't pay more than $50 for a haircut, and probably never will--unlike some others who, say, pay $400 (or hold up air traffic on a tarmac).

As far as martooni's remark that Romney is too clean, well think no further than the Mormon law "Word of Wisdom." Can't really blame the individual, can we?

This is what I don't understand about Iowa. Loomisspouse's coworker and wife, who hail from Iowa, are justifiably proud that the state has the highest SAT scores of any state in the country. How would it look if the caucus selects Huckabee who believes in evolution? Hey Science, Don't Mess with Iowa!

If you saw the washintonpoist.com story today in the religion section, Huckabee believes that it's up to each individual state to devise its own curriculum--specifically, evolution vs. creationism. The heartland is its own special world, and will depend on the economic generators on both coasts as they progress with scientific inquiry--and jobs.

What did Tom Friedman say, in a humorous vein, in his op-ed today?

Third, all the U.S. presidential candidates are distancing themselves from the core values that made America such a great power and so different from us -- in particular America's long commitment to free trade, open immigration and a reverence for scientific enquiry wherever it leads. Our [Iranian--written as a spoof--in the voice of the latest Iranian NIE] intel analysts are baffled that the leading Democrat, Mrs. Clinton, no longer believes in globalization and the leading Republican, Mr. Huckabee, never believed in evolution.

As far as the Kit, I guess it would be impolitic to show numerous photos of a mother and grandmother who's been battling MS for the past 10 years.

Posted by: Loomis | December 5, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I almost peed my pants with the "Jessica Rabbit" reference.

She is a hottie. And he's an elf. I think there's a Hallmark holiday movie in here somewhere. ;-)

Peace.

Posted by: martooni | December 5, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I think we should be disscussing the big important issues like how people look. It says lots about them. Looks are everything in the media age, or so I hear on TV.

Maybe if we concentrate on looks enough, we can a.) dump Lindsay Lohan et al as 'news' and b.) make people so tired of it they start thinking about what the candidate's platform is.

Sartorial Blandness really ought to be somebody's slogan.

Now to get down to brass tacks, she is fine, but his collar is a wee bit too starched and stiff. Loosen that and they are perfect.

What I want to know is who are the most bland candidates? The pendulum is swinging to bland politicians. Didn't you get the memo? Or does that only apply here in Canada?

Posted by: dr | December 5, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Stephane Dion? Bland?

Stephen Harper? Bland?

Say it ain't so!!!!!!

Posted by: byoolin | December 5, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

You know who I REALLY miss: John Turner.

Posted by: byoolin | December 5, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

...but I was a bit too young for Bob Stanfield.

Posted by: byoolin | December 5, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Not for Hatfield though.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Two guys are dangling off the L'Eslpanade Laurier in downtown Ottawa. See anthing SD.

I "watched those traffic cams in DC.
It doesn't look too bad. As long as the precip/crap doesn't build up and everyone drives carefully it'll be a cakewalk.
I'm glad it looks like you won't be dumped on. Aside from the accidents and the heartattacks a bad snowstorm is hideously expensive.
'Course when you do.....

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

This is interesting:

Posted by: kbertocci | December 5, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't see from here boko. L'Esplanade is on a couple of my regular walks but there is just too much snow left on the sidewalks for an enjoyable stroll. I saw the window washing guys stranded on the broken platform few years back though. The feeling when the cable breaks must be something, even if you know that you are still attached.

Dick "Disco" Hatfield was bland?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 5, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Kucinich may be an elf, but I'm not touching any cookies he's had a hand in baking. Waaaay too many nuts. C'mon, Shirley MacLaine?

Posted by: crc | December 5, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Took the choose your candidate quiz. My responses matched the views expressed by: Sen. Dodd, 28%; the Senators Clinton & Obama, 22% (tie); Sen. Edwards, 19%, and Gov. Richardson.

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Taking the Republican candidates poll was like the scene in "Life of Brian" where Eric Idle asks each man if he wants crucifiction or some other form of death- just no good choices here. I ended up with Ron Paul (probably that end the war thing).

Posted by: kurosawaguy | December 5, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I see the WaPo home page has replaced the stupid "On Being" box with the pix of the "Whatever..." Girl with the Kucinich smoochy photo.

I care not a whit what subsidiaries the Post owns, and how much profit such-and-such adivision makes--that's for the beancounters to play with. But few things get on my nerves faster than "branding," "re-branding," and "brand managers/managing." This fad has been going on for several years-- I even once worked for a branch of the Navy that went out and "re-branded" itself, spent god knows how much money doing so, and accomplished nothing (other than arouse the near-unanimous sarcasm of a bunch of us in the PAO section). It's just the latest Madison Avenue fad du jour charlatanism. (I don't object to companies changing strategies, alterning emphasis, adapting, morphing, or whatever; I just object to a company being so dense that it brings in an outside consultant [as the Navy did], pays him/her a gazillion bucks, and receives back as the answer to its dilemma, "You need to re-brand yourselves." Fools.)

Joel, if Florida is going to play a key role, as you've suggested, what is its current status? Last I heard, the DNC was going to disqualify all Florida's delegates unless they rescinded their Jan. 29 primary date, and no candidates are campaigning there. Any movement in that?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, k-guy. I watched the Republicans slug it out on CNN and came away with a similar impression of Ron Paul. He had a lot of interesting ideas, but came across a bit shrill and too conspiracy minded; something about a triumverate sounded a bit off the table.

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd actually like to see Kucinich make the cut and even win the Presidency. But I'm a realist. There's just no way.

I might as well try to get myself elected. (imagine a well-sauced gnome in the oval office)

But his wife is still a hottie. (waiting for RD to weigh in since she's a redhead).

We just watched "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer" last night and I gotta say that Kucinich reminds me of Hermey, the elf who wants to be a dentist.

He's smart. He has some good ideas and tracks almost as left as I do. But nobody gets elected president from the Island of Misfit Toys.

I know Joel seems to be leaning toward Hillary, but the thought of another 4 years of Clinton/Bush dynasty gives me the willies. The alternatives aren't terrible, but then again, I think they all shared a bunk on the Island of Misfit Toys and only learned how to make faces at the Abominable.

Obama seems to have lost his groove (unless Oprah brings it back).

Edwards is a broken record. If I hear about his "mill working father" one more time I think I'll puke.

Richardson is impressive, but has no charisma.

Biden is the same, but at least he has a sense of humor.

So we come back to Hillary and the prospect of another 4 years of the same old same old. And for some reason, I don't think she's a fan of doilies.

Unless they explode.

Posted by: martooni | December 5, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Mudge: I googled this information about the Florida delegates to the Democratic convention. The piece states that Florida may still be able to send delegates to the convention:

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Achtung! To all media: (Not for distribution)

When referring to the polls, please accept them as given; gospel. Except exit polls from 2004. "They are notoriously unreliable." This is the received wisdom; in the unfortunate event this arises, please change the subject immediately. Do not question it. Thank you. Carry on.

Posted by: Jumper | December 5, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Well hey, I get back to D.C. and I see you all arranged for me to be greeted by SNOW!!! You folks are the bestest!!!

*Snoopy-dance-and-Grover-wave combo*

:-))))))))

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 5, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jack, but that piece is dated Sept. 5. Been a lot of back-and-forth since then. As of Sept. 5, Florida was going to lose ALL Dem delegates and half the GOP delegates. Hence, pretty darn little influence (contrary to Joel's speculation) unless something has or will change. Last I knew, Florida was TKOed, but wanted to be sure that was still the case.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Here in Alberta we try to avoid being branded. If you get re-branded you've only yourself to blame.

re: Alberta clipper. I've already explained we're just the way station for the Siberian high. Lord knows we try to divert it eastward, but it keeps getting sent off track towards the DC area.

Posted by: SonofCarl | December 5, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

So, if Fla. doesn't have delegates to the convention, they don't have delegates to the Electoral College and the Presidential vote in Florida is for naught?

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

*ducking the ruler for daydreaming during my civics lessons*

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

No, they still have electoral college delegates, who are chosen separately from who attends the nominating convention. The el. college people are elected during the national election in November. It's during the convention when Florida won't have any say (unless amended). Everyone still gets to vote for president (hanging chad and other problems notwithstanding, which is saying a lot in sunny Florida).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

We could only fantasize, jack. Wouldn't that be wonderful?!

Posted by: Slyness | December 5, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Hang on, let me ask some real political reporters about Florida's delegates. I think it still will make a difference for the GOP even if they lose half the delegatese. Florida is a decent proxy for the country and my guess is that the GOP will campaign there like mad.

Posted by: Achenbach | December 5, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

OK, is it me? or does this headline make no sense: "Gift Cookbooks
16 Volumes Worth Staining"

Staining? Why/how would one apply stain to a cookbook (or any other kind of book)?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 'Mudge. I knew you'd set this science major straight.

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...delegatese...must be Italian.

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Joel, aren't you a 'real' political reporter?

Posted by: dr | December 5, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree that even if the GOP keeps half its delegates, AND if all the GOP candidates campaign there, it will have significant meaning. Simultaneously, the Dem vote will be meaningless if all the Dem candidates boyclott (as they are currently promising to do). Whoever loses on the Dem side will just say it would have been different if they'd only been able to campaign, yadda yadda. Maybe true, maybe not.

So far it has been a giant game of "Chicken," with the Florida legislature virtually unanimous against the DNC, and the thinking is at the last minute the DNC will seat the Florida delegation. I dunno about that. Someone (presumably Hillary) will control that rogue delegation, and if it is seated, all the other Dems will cry "Fix!" Hillary doesn't need that chazzerai, especially if she wins the nomination.

It's a real pickle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Boyclott (n, v): What happens to a teenage boy's brain the first few times he attempts to talk to a girl on the telephone or ask her out for a date.

(Please note for the record I didn't go for the Monica Lewinsky joke.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

re Staining. Is that supposed to evoke the image of a well used cookbook having stains on it? If so, too subtle.

Posted by: SonofCarl | December 5, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I am truly baffled at the array of methods the states are using to pick their candidates. *shaking head in disbelief*

Scottynuke,
this is goodish article about risk and danger, but the guy keeps bashing your home state. Must have been turned down by Dartmouth College.
"Terrorists could strike New Hampshire. But the possibility is so remote and the utility of the spending is so unclear that the Granite State's counter-terrorism funds would be better spent elsewhere. ...... In these areas, hawks claim that doves are reckless. Cutting homeland security funding to New Hampshire leaves Hanover less prepared..."

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 5, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

It is Krampus Day in Austria: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Perchten1.jpg

Krampus is a Companion of Saint Nicholas.

Posted by: omni | December 5, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

This executive privilege issue has been below the radar for a while and is poised to hit the front page again: Mr.Waxman has asked the new AG to intervene and secure the release of documents regarding the Plame incident. The AG is between a rock abnd a hard place.

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Forget Kucinich's cookies, ya gotta watch those browines he's packing...

Also, I'm wondering about the residency status of Mrs. Kuchinch. I remember Joel writing about the Starseed folks in 'Captured by Aliens;' the mantis-like aliens, aliens in human bodies, and the Grays. Would you believe that there might be another type - the Reds?

bc

Posted by: bc | December 5, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Jack. The house deal with Fitzgerald was crafted to avoid grand jury secrecy and executive privilege.
The blogs on the left are giddy at the thought of reading the testimony of Bush Cheney and the rest of the ratpack.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I so get that headline. But then my klutziness is second only to my ability to produce edible food.

Posted by: dr | December 5, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Good morning. Afternoon. I think the story on the Kucinichs was very sweet. And those pictures are like a public service, brightening our day. I really have nothing against Kucinich's political beliefs (not that I think they'll get him elected); it is more that mixed in with all that he just strikes me as very very odd. So does she, although her beauty makes it hard to focus on that. Nice that they found one another. It makes perfect sense for the Kucinich to view that as a reason it is possible for him to become President. [Of course, a brutally cynical part of me notes that she appears to be a pretty good politician in her own right and is getting a lot of air time here, learning how to hone a message, and this might, in the hands of young person with a Grand Plan and a lot of time, serve as a sort of useful apprenticeship. I'll bite my tongue now.]

I think, on sheer quirkiness alone, that Kucinich and Ron Paul could run as a team.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 5, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Looking out my office window, I am beginning to be reminded of the bad DC weather joke about have 6 inches of "partly cloudy" on the ground. Last night's forecasters were saying that the precip wouldn't start till around mid-day and be done around dark. It took me an hour to go the 7 miles from home to work this morning, and that was leaving about an hour late to try and avoid some of the traffic crush(!). I'm heading out about a half-hour early to try and do the same thing. Fortunately, the bosses took my suggestion to cancel tonight's public meeting.

Posted by: ebtnut | December 5, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

SCC 'testimony' should be 'interviews'
Either way, George Bush trying to explain anything more complicated than tying his shoes will be excrutiatingly funny.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"But the long-term purpose of the rebranding is clear: 'It is likely that The Washington Post Co. of the future will be more an education company and a little less a media company every year' Graham said."

I think we should begin now referring to the Boss as "Professor Achenbach," just to stay ahead of the curve.

Posted by: kbertocci | December 5, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's an out-of-the-circle idea: offer free dial-up to the locals who in return have WaPo their homepage. Talk about a captive audience.

Posted by: Jumper | December 5, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Shriek, thanks much. The writer has obviously encased his head in a block of concrete. There are MANY legit areas requiring protection in N.H.

One of which I know particularly well, but nevermind...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 5, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, Professor Achenbach.

I'd rather not pay tuition, but it would be great to get credit for Boodling. We could all earn our PhAs -- Philosophy of Achenbach degrees. That oughta be worth a raise, or at least a bonus.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 5, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, I don't object to taxpayer funds being spent on making the Old Snuke Homestead a national monument (as it should be), but I don't see al Qaeda being all that interested in it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom - No exactly (italics needed) sure to what ambition you are alluding to for Mrs Kucinich but unfortunately we can't elect her President at some future date. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat, assuming mine ever starts up again.

Posted by: DLD | December 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

*Not exactly...

Posted by: DLD | December 5, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, then we could all go to the Corcoran here in town some evening to hear Professor Achenbach lecture on "From Aldus Manutius to Scott Kelby: Deconstructing The History of Italics and the Introduction of Graphics Arts into the Kit and Kaboodle, 2004-2007: A Meta-analysis."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

You want him to be called perfesser? After he's just turned his blog into a soft porn site?

Posted by: No.9 | December 5, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Mudge - So do you see the boodle having italics before the end of the year? How about other big people formatting?

Posted by: DLD | December 5, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth Kucinich's ambition. Well, let's see. She's married to a man 31 years her senior who has a safe seat in Congress and periodically raises his (and her) name recognition by running for president. The brutally cynical part of me, which is I might add a large part, says that at some point in the future ol' Dennis will either retire or be abducted by aliens or ascend to a higher plane and Lovely Liz will be well positioned to replace him, what with all those leftover "Vote for Kucinich" signs and all.

On a somewhat related topic, I ask you to look at the photos of the happy couple accompanying the Kit, especially the third and fourth ones. Does the phrase "female ventriloquist" spring to mind?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | December 5, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

DLD, I'm not holding my breath.

Perhaps by, say, 2045.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"I was standing there holding this boy by the scruff of his neck, and instead of worrying about being stabbed I was actually thinking: 'Jesus, I'm going to get done for assault if I'm not careful.'

"I therefore put him down, and in a flurry of hand gestures involving various fingers he was gone.

"Plainly this boy's parents are useless, allowing him to be out and about on the streets, harassing passers-by at will."

(Jeremy Clarkson's account of an encounter with some yobs of the hoodie variety. Clarkson's the car columnist for the Times/London and is on TV, too).

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | December 5, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

By god, K-guy, you're right! It's Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

While I don't disagree with Kguy in the least, I am certain that I heard Mrs Kucinich state in a TV interview a month or so back that she would NOT be seeking US citizenship. Anyone know anything more definitive? I am open to an error on my part here.

It is just that it made me so sad when I heard it.

Posted by: DLD | December 5, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

New hypothesis for origin of life proposed.

A new frontrunner?

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Kucinich and John Bolten are going to be on CBCRadio's "As it Happens in a few minutes.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 5, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Connecticut mica holds the clue? *l*

United Parcel Service just delivered something on my wish list. Nevr mind that I did the ordering online. Four pewter napkin rings from New Hampshire. Scotty, they better be top-notch, or I'll... Or I'll... Or I'll come over to your place and tie your napkins in knots!

Posted by: Loomis | December 5, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Youse guys gotta read Froomkin today http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2007/12/05/BL2007120501703.html?hpid=moreheadlines --lotta stuff about Bush and Cheney know about the NIE info as much as 6 months or even a year ago, with Cheney holding up the issuance of the NIE for 6 months or more.

On interesting graf: "Similarly, Scott Horton blogs for Harpers that a "highly reliable intelligence community source" told him: "The NIE has been in substantially the form in which it was finally submitted for more than six months. The White House, and particularly Vice President Cheney, used every trick in the book to stop it from being finalized and issued. There was no last minute breakthrough that caused the issuance of the assessment."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Nanook of the North I am not.

I don't know what secrets our north-of-the-border friends have to deal with *real* cold, but I sure could use a few hints.

I'm layered (kinda reminiscent of the kid from "A Christmas Story" who can't put his arms down for all the layers). I've got strategically placed space heaters in the house and out in the shop. I even thought of buying a woolly little lamb and strapping it to my head or stuffing it down my jacket, but realized it would output other things besides heat.

I suppose the upside is that everything covered in white looks pretty, but give that a day or two of salt trucks and it'll look like a big mudpie peppered with dirty marshmallows.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist. Honest. I just have a chill I can't shake and it's really starting to irritate me.

Ho freakin' ho.

Posted by: martooni | December 5, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I'm thinking Bergen & McCarthy myself. Or who was that Miss America (or contestant) who was the ventriloquist?

DLD, always happy to hear from a voter who's come to a decision through due diligence. :-)

Posted by: dbG | December 5, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Never underestimate the power of a quart of very hot soup in your belly. Or two quarts.

Posted by: Jumper | December 5, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Wool, martooni, go with wool. Great stuff.

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 5, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Graham Cairns-Smith came up with an origin of life theory related to catalyzed organic chemistry on clay particle surfaces. Similar to mica, in that clay consists of platy microparticals.

Posted by: Jumper | December 5, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh Dear.

Posted by: dr | December 5, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, warm up the fax. I've got a pile for Martooni.

Wool socks.
Union suit (with backside drop flap)
warm winter boots (woolen felt liners.
toque
mitts
sweater
'cold' rated winter coat from Sears.ca

several spare heaters
and
and a hot bath for good measure.

Take these items, except for the heaters and the hot bath, and apply liberally to cold body. Dance up a storm. If this does not work, go indoors, turn up extra heaters, divest yourself of all clothing, and dip into hot bath. Rinse. Repeat.

Posted by: dr | December 5, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Martooni, a nice thick blubber layer. Seals positively bask in the bleak March sun. Narwals and belugas spend their life in freezing water. Trust me. Blubber.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 5, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Blankets and sweaters Martooni. Keep extras everywhere.

Posted by: Kerric | December 5, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

martooni,

1. Next to skin layer should be light to medium weight polypropylene or silk. You should be able to find glove liners that you should be able to use while working even for fine work. Hat, obviously. I would try an open face balaclava and avoid a scarf (power tool issues).

2. Try wearing snow boots in your shop. Concrete floors are bad for heat loss.

3. Hot fluids on an ongoing basis. The experts say no to coffee blah blah diuretic, but I'm assuming it's not a survival situation in your shop.

4. Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but many people make the mistake of overheating. If you feel sweat accumulating anywhere, take off a layer.

5. What SD said. I recommend cheesecake.

Posted by: SonofCarl | December 5, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'll swear by the light to medium weight polypropylene or silk long johnnies. They keep you dry even if your pants get wet from mixing snow and body heat leakage.

Snow boots are good-- don't buy anything that laces up-- heat and water leaks. I got my first pair of real snow boots at 1/2 price-- microfiber lining, and my feet are toasty even in snow. It amazes me.

Warm hats are key--double-layered and lined at least, if wool or knitted.

I wear ski masks even in mild subfreezing cold because I have bronchial sensitivity left over from a bad bout of bronchitis years ago, and I use humidifers religiously to prevent coughing from same reason.
You might want to have a humidifier or constant source of steam/evaporating water in the house.

You do not need a union suit, I think.

Posted by: Wilbrod | December 5, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Martooni what all the fellow Canucks have said is very good, but we here in the wimpy part of the country rely on the heat packs you can get for your gloves and boots.

I am also of the believe that a person cannot own enough polar fleece.

Posted by: dmd | December 5, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

SoC, number 4 is a good tip. Dry underlayers that wick moisture away from the skin help as well.
I prefer to lose heat from opening a coat and overshirt rather than through the legs, feet, or hands-- or face.

I suppose if the legs are being used a lot, and there is no wind chill, long johnnies might overheat quickly (never had it happen to me outside, ever, though.)

Posted by: Wilbrod | December 5, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe that Kerric did not recommend his own personal winter warmth secret - facial hair and no haircuts.

But according to your etsy photo, you have that covered.

Yes to a union suit or well tucked in duo of top and long johns. That is part of the trick actually. Tuck everything.

Posted by: dr | December 5, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Kucinich actually makes a lot of sense; and he addresses issues head on rather than dancing around them. I guess that's why people don't like him. Focusing on his appearance is really quite shallow. I know, everyone here is shallow--I couldn't agree more.

I wonder when the Wash Post company is going to catch on to the fact that only about 20 people actually participate in this Achenblot.

Posted by: Dee | December 5, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Now, population 21!

Welcome, Dee!

Posted by: dbG | December 5, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

You're lucky number 21, Dee. Welcome.

Back to the AG and his dilemma: If he complies with Mr. Waxman's request, it has the potential of opening the proverbial can of worms, heavily redacted to be sure, however, it may shed little light on the subjects in question. The AG will be excoriated by the right side of the aisle. If he follows the WH game book, he'll be excoriated by the left side of the aisle as no better than his predecessor. I'm hoping for the former.

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Dee, you have it wrong. There's actually only two people--Achenbach and some dude named Weinstein. They each have multiple avatars, corresponding to their numerous personalities.

You gotta admit, it takes real talent to pretend you are at a Texas book fair one post and a Canadian the next, then an editor pretending to be a 16th century sailor the next, then a different Canadian...

Anyway, as bad as it is, it's still better than the front page. Even when A&W shill for articles on the front page.

Incidentally "I" agree with you about Kucinich. My other avatars get a little snarky at times.

Posted by: No.9 | December 5, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Twenty is a pretty high count, Dee... Joel himself was only aiming for a "select audience of 15."

He should be pretty proud of himself now.

Posted by: TBG | December 5, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

My son is the proud Vice President of the *Dennis Kucinich for President* group at his college.

Posted by: TBG | December 5, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The tiny thread about rebranding the WaPo into an educational platform is interesting. Rethinking everything -- including identity and community -- is on the table in our Web 2.0 world.

This video defines Web 2.0 and what is up for grabs nicely.

BTW, I have wanted to post on topic today but all I can think of concerns a First Lady (in theory) and the tongue piercing. Ewwwwwhhhhhhh!

Posted by: College Parking | December 5, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

SuperF was accusing us of being only 12 losers. We are making progress.

I'm not a good judge of cold weather clothing, being quite impervious to normal winter temperature. I love my polyprop long johns for mild days and my polar fleece undies for cold days snowshoeing. Most of the time, I wear a nylon shell over the undieswhen I am outside...
Mrs. denizen on the other hand owns more square yards of polar fleece than the average retirenment home.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 5, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Maria Beale Fletcher, from Asheville, NC. The Miss America ventriloquist. Gosh, I had to go WAAAYYY back into the brain cells for that one!

Posted by: Slyness | December 5, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I've cut back on my submissions (after being quite properly accused of intemperance), but I'm pretty sure that there are rather more than twenty of us who are fairly regular here. It's definitely not the ideal forum for the run & shoot artist, and vehemence for the sake of vehemence is frowned upon, which cuts down on the viewer numbers, I'm guessing. Hey, if navel-gazing didn't have some evolutionary value, there wouldn't be so much of it, would there?

The snowfall seems to be fairly well-behaved, but I'll note that the 4-8 hours duration forecast for my area (Springfield, VA) has become 12+ hrs & counting, and the approx. 1" has become 3+" & counting.

Posted by: Bob S. | December 5, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, slyness. I liked her!

Posted by: Bob S. | December 5, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

shrieking d. - I attended the Monday night Ravens-Patriots game in Baltimore. Like you, I don't consider myself particularly subject to discomfort from normal levels of cold, and it wasn't all that cold that night. But lemme tell ya - up in the 500-level seats, seated directly in front of one of the breezeway entrances to the seats, it was a freakin' Arctic air tunnel experience. Steady 25-30 mph wind, with regular sustained gusts up into the 40-50 mph range. Wow! I've been to Fairbanks, Alaska in February-March, and not been that uncomfortable!

Posted by: Bob S. | December 5, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Bob, you're making me cold, just talking about it! I'm cold-sensitive anyway, watch me shiver!

IIRC, Maria Beale Fletcher is the only Miss America from NC. 1962, or thereabouts? I was old enough to watch and be enthralled by her act. It was unique, and she was good at it.

I did take the Repub quiz, with Romney scoring the most points for me. Not that I would vote for him. I am a yellow dog Democrat, and proud of it!

Posted by: Slyness | December 5, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Martooni,

Put a hat on your head. Most of your body heat radiates out through your head. Y'know, the brain commandeers resources from other parts of the body to keep it going -- like the boss (not Our Boss) taking credit for stuff he had no hand in.

Posted by: pj | December 5, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Dee, I have to say thank you for sticking up for Dennis Kucinich. I agree that it is silly to focus on his appearance or his wife's. He is smart, motivated, and on the right side of all the issues. (He was right about the electric company, by gosh. And he never fell for that phony "weapons of mass destruction" hooey.) He has overcome obstacles and achieved great success. We could do A LOT WORSE than to elect him President. We have done a lot worse, already.

And incidentally, every time we do a count, it is surprising how many different people are commenting here. Maybe it's time for another headcount. We do have the technology.

Posted by: kbertocci | December 5, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

pj - I'll make the observation that most of your body heat radiates out through your head ONLY if you're wearing clothes on most of the rest of your body!

: )

Posted by: Bob S. | December 5, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

kbertocci--An advanced technology survey only came up with 21 avatars, of which two groups, one of 8 and one of 12, each appear to have the same handwriting throughout the group. The 21st (Dee) has only appeared one time during the period covered by the survey.

Now, you can be prezidential and slide around the facts, but you can't ignore them.

Posted by: No.9 | December 5, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Bob S, you and greenwithenvy missed an opportunity for a football BPH! (I think that's where gwe was too, but I skimmed the football posts, so I could be mistaken).

martooni, I'd go along with those who suggested wool, and hats. If wool is too itchy, try a mouton (sheepskin) hat:
Or alpaca - soft, light, warm...or a wool blend. And there is a reason Russians wear fur.

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 5, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Slyness, we blew it. Our Miss America ventriloquist was Vonda Kay Van [last name of Mary Tyler Moore co-star, also in "Mary Poppins". The filter won't let me share it, apparently!) (1965 - Miss Arizona) - how did we ever forget that name?

Posted by: Bob S. | December 5, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Of course, instead of dressing warmly, one could also employ the kbertocci solution: live in Florida.

Or Cancun. Or St. Kitts. One of them. I liked St. Kitts, Nassau, and Playa Del Carmen myself. ALso St. Maarten.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I just hope I'm not Number Two. Eww.

Posted by: TBG | December 5, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Martooni-Sorels, by far the best winter boots. I'd go for the "vintage" Pac 1964s myself if I weren't still wearing the Pacs the Frostrents bought me in '75. Just replace the removable liner now and again. For hands I like to use a convertible mitten (top of the mitten flips off to reveal fingerless gloves) if a polar fleece glove can't cut it.

In the "life isn't fair" category, Mr. F finds himself in Germany on business this week where curling was offered as entertainment. I have been trying to get him interested in curling forever and indifference was his highest registered level of enthusiasm, now he's in love with it.

Dan and Roseanne were the last realistically matched television couple.

We laugh at snow tires. When snow stays snow until spring there's no need. Then it turns to mud overnight and tire style doesn't matter.

Posted by: frostbittten | December 5, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Van Dyck? Van Dike? What will the filter pass?

Posted by: Bob S. | December 5, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, there we go. Not actually the correct spelling, but you get the idea.

Posted by: Bob S. | December 5, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

So I have a few multiple personality issues. So sue me.

Posted by: Weinstein | December 5, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, how do you know I'm not really a 16th century sailor pretending to be an editor? Huh? Huh? Betcha didn't think of that, didja?

Posted by: Weinstein | December 5, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Weinstein,

Shouldn't that be "So sue us."?

Posted by: pj | December 5, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh. My. Gawd. That Weinstein guy! Like, he looks JUST like this old geezer dude who came into our Keno parlor on the edge of the desert one night! If I'm lyin ' I'm dyin' wear ta gahd.

Posted by: Tyffani | December 5, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

You wanna waste your money on a class action suit, pj bubbele, be my guest.

Posted by: Weinstein | December 5, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Martooni and Wilbrod, you wanna dress warmly, I got a brother-in-law can get you both into some gnomex, half price.

Posted by: Weinstein | December 5, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Tyffani, honey, how ARE you!? Haven't heard from you in AGES! Things going well in the parlor?

Posted by: Slyness | December 5, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

"But Kucinich is friends with Shirley Maclaine!" This loses its impact if we each consider OUR nuttiest friends.

Posted by: "Jumper" | December 5, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Slyness! Please, don't ask! The stories I could tell you! Well, first, we opened up two new windows cuz business was really picking up, see, because this topless bar opened up next door and like, all the guys comin' in for one-dollar bills, and then they'd play a little Keno before heading back out and my boss says hey we gotta get a couple more cashiers in here and you know who that ratp---k hires? Yes! My boyfriend's ex-girlfriend! Well, he's actually my ex-boyfriend, so I guess that would make him my ex-boyfriend's ex-girlfriend.

Annnnnyways, I'm like, you can't work here, you b---- oops sorry, but yeah, I called her the B word. And she's like, Well, who do you think YOU are, Miss Keno Queen? And I'm like, dearie, it'll be a cold day in Lucky Larry's Keno Parlor before YOU and I work at the same joint. So I reach under the counter and get out the blued-steel K-frame .38 special with the hollow-point 20-grain loads, and I'm like, OK, Tootsieroll, hit the highway, and she's like, I am soooo outa here.

So then there was this guy comin' through town and he says he's like, this scout for American Idle? And I'm like, oooo, that's my favorite show!! And he's like, hey, sugar, I can get you an audition and you can go on the show and win a million dollars. So then we...well, you don't need to know about the next part. But then I go and audition and next thing ya know I'm a contestant! Yes! Me! And I go on the show and I sing "Crazy" and like, after the second bar Simon says something about a spayed cat yowling over the backyard fence and so they knock me off the show which just so unfair! But annnyways, I got two days in Hollywood and a hundred bucks and then I go back home to the trailer park down the road from the Keno parlor and guess who's there with my boyfriend? Uh huh. So I run back to the parlor and get the .38 but by the time I get back to the trailer they were both gone, the tramps.

So other than that, Sylness, same old same old. How about you?

Posted by: Tyffani | December 5, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Gnomex suit may be flame resistant but they ain't very warm. I've attended many a derailment in the cold wilderness and I can attest that polyprop undies with polar fleece pants and shirts are in order. Sorel booths and a dorky hat under the hard hat are a must too.
Dorky hat:
Sorel booths (Kaufman, the original Kitchener-based manufacturer went bankrupt):

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 5, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Ya set the gnomex on fire, it's plenty warm, Shriek. And ya get some light to see by, too.

Posted by: Weinstein | December 5, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Okay, just for Dee, I counted the separate "posters" from Dec. 1 to Dec. 4 and the number was 81. That could be one actual person or there could be a committee of writers behind each name. I can't count IP addresses.

When I counted in the past, on big comment days, we have generally had over 100 discrete posters (and almost no discreet posters.)

It's past my bedtime; pleasant dreams everybody.

Posted by: kbertocci | December 5, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Bertooch is right. And ya count all the other people who've dropped out over the years-- and some of them have popped back up, too-- and ya got close to 200 names, not counting them people what use false abattoirs.

Posted by: Weinstein | December 5, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh Tyffani, what a shame! I know you coulda win American Idle! You woulda been a shoo-in!

Nothing exciting around here. You know, retired folks don't have a lotta cash, so we have to be quiet.

Don't let it be so long before we hear from you again!

Posted by: Slyness | December 5, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

G'night, kb. Thanks for the Boodler count.

I find the range of hats and headwear in Afghanistan fascinating. Here's a nice picture of 2 of my favorites - both made from wool:

The news from Omaha is so disturbing. Makes me wonder what makes people do such awful things, and how we can stop them. There was a shooting in a mall in Tacoma - no one was killed - the gunman was young and will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 5, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Nyuh, nyuh, I definitely smell more than 20 posters. But since nobody believes in talking dogs, I don't mind if you don't believe.

I would like to meet Kuchinch though, I like gnomes generally. When I'm not mad at the one I live with.

Posted by: Wilbrodog | December 5, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

G'night, Kber.

G'night, Weinstein, Tyffani, Mudge.

Posted by: Slyness | December 5, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Sleep tight, Slyness. I'm going to bed, too, in about 20 minutes, when "Life" is over. It's the conclusion of a two-parter, and I'm way too invested in it to quit now. And I'm about addicted to the show at this point, although I'm clueless about the background subplot, which Crews appears to be about to resolve. But there's a lot of wry humor in the show, which I like. Crews is very funny in a very dry way.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Waaaah, I got a phone call during the last 8 minutes of Life. What was everyone clapping for? Who is the girl? What did he ask his old partner and his new partner to do?

Posted by: frostbitten | December 5, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Better late than never: An update about the elusive Florida delegates, because you asked, 'Mudge.

A judge ruled that the DNC position regarding penalizing the Florida Democratic Party trumped the State officials position that the DNC penalties for having the primary early were excessive. The fate of the delegates stands.

Posted by: jack | December 5, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

17 below, yuck, and getting colder. I'm glad I don't have to be anywhere early in the morning. Time to grab all the frostcats and hit the hay.

Fondue!

Posted by: frostbitten | December 5, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Let me answer you in reverse order, Frosty. Crews asked his two partners to go to the Bank of LA, where they took custody of Kyle, and brought him out of the building in handcuffs. At the same time, Crews was up on the roof across the street with Jack Reese (the rooftop where Reese's sniper team picked off five of the six bank robbers in 1991). Crews reiterated that Jack was going down and handed him binoculars. So Reese looks down at the bank and sees the two partners putting Kyle in the car. Crews tells Reese Kyle has confessed, and is going to roll over on Reese, that "it's all over," and to turn himself in. Reese declines and says he wants to stay up on the roof a little while longer. The suspicion is Reese is going to jump and kill himself, and Crews leaves, and joins his partners down on the street. When they het to HQ with Kyle, that's when everyone is appluading, because they now have know that Crews was innocent after all, and that Kyle has confessed to killing the Seebold family (Crews' friends). (Crews' lawyer, Brooke Langton, was there, with a tape of the Kyle confession.) Crews has a conversation with his lawyer during which he says that although Kyle has confessed to the killings, he wasn't the one who set up Crews. The lawyer says she knows, but he shoiuld let other people go to work on that, not Crews. (But of course we know that ain't gonna happen.) A few minutes later, Jack Reese calls Crews; turns out he didn't jump after all. He says Crews won't kill him, because he has something Crews wants: Rachel Seebold, only surviving member of Crews' friends (she was an infant at the time 16 years ago). Crews is mystified, until Jack explains that Rachel Seebold was the injured girl Crews held until the medics came. Crews races back to the house where Kyle and the girl lived, but it is stone empty, cleaned out. And of course the girl has left the hospital mysteriously. So she's now disappeared. Driving back, Crews sees some debris by the side of the road and stops to investigate: it is a cassette of Kyle's preaching. So the girl is gone. Fade to black. (One has to think a while to realize that when Kyle said "I got right" [started making amends] part of that meant he raised Rachel Seebold, having killed her parents and brother.)

So: the killer has been caught, Jack has "confessed" but has disappeared with Rachel Seebold, and now everyone knows Crews was framed and was innocent--but we still don't know who set up Crews in the first place. (Crews' current partner, Dani Reese, still doesn't know her father, Jack Reese, was involved in the robbery.) You missed a heckuva lot in 8 minutes.

Good episode, I thought.

Heckuva good column by Benjamin Friedman on homeland security and stuff at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/04/AR2007120401928.html?hpid=opinionsbox1 -- I'd rate it "must" reading.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 5, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

As I understood it, the Florida Demo party position boiled down to, "We really, really, REALLY want to ignore the primary rules, so you'll let us, right, won't you, huh, please pretty please?"

I think this decision was already in the cards.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 5, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Ya know, I'm not actually against anyone knowing my name, but I'm a little annoyed that the WaPo.com system has suddenly decided arbitrarily to take away my chosen nom de keyboard.

Bob S.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 5, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, Bolton has snuck in before Krauthammer to predict the NIE on Iran nukes only makes the situtation worse.

I predicted that would be the next Krautmeister's article. I guess it's back to saved stem cells for the Kraut-a-roo.

Posted by: bill eveything | December 5, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Please count me as an active reader and irregular poster.

I have now made Mudge's vegetable soup in two different states - and confusion was not one of the states.

One of Martooni's gates will be under my mother's Christmas tree - I was surprised to see a Fairee House in her garden. And I was so excited that I'd brought a Fairee door wrapped for her Christmas.

And husband and I discuss topics of the blog often.

It is not only the regular crew of posters that enjoy the blog. 20 people indeed - Hurumph

Now I'm off to finish my dish for the office Christmas party tomorrow.

Posted by: Pacifica | December 5, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Pacifica - Nice to know you're here! Have a good party.

-- Bob S.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 5, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

OMG! Tyfanny is back! I feel 4U!

Ignore Weingarten, he's a old guy.

Had a wonderful dinner with dmd; so smart and funny, but mostly warm and loving and delightful. A dear friend.

dmd, did you tell the Boodle about the pick-up artist who (quite properly) hit on you on the corner of Queen and King in the middle of a snow-squall? You know, the Ozzie stranger who "only had eyes for you?" Smart man.

dmd is possibly the most beautiful woman you, Boodlers, have ever seen. And when this little crabbed hunched Ozzie made his move, dmd cracked me up by, side-ways mouthed, putting him down.

Heavens! I could hardly catch my breath.

I encourage you to invite dmd to your parties. She's not only sharp, she's funny.

I felt like Strongbad. Yoki is a dude. She has about 15 seconds.

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Joel, though well veiled, I loved your parody of your own newspaper.

We in the boodle like our women shapely, sharp and (I can't think of another "sh" word so I'll say, smart).

Touche

Posted by: bill everything | December 6, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm definitely an irregular poster, but I typically don't Boodle about my mental health or my digestive system.

And as anyone who knows me would testify, I *do* have multiple personalities, but they all answer to the same names.

Just so's y'all know.

Anyway, anyone going to the Washington NFL Franchise game tomorrow night? A single ticket landed in my lap this afternoon, upper deck, 50-yard line, up front. Could be an opportunity for a quick Thursday night BPH (likely a single beer), less than a week away from the Holiday BPH at M&S...

bc

Posted by: bc | December 6, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

"ever so slightly shady"?

Posted by: Bob S. | December 6, 2007 12:05 AM | Report abuse

bc,

I don't see you as an irregular. More like a COM on the Boodle.

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Pacifica - me too! I'm making Tomato Bacon Squares. If it's good...it's better with bacon. That is a credo I live by...Happy Office Christmas Partay.

Hi Bob S.

Posted by: Kim | December 6, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Schmart.

As in:

Too soon old, too late schmart.

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

and hello all other late night boodlers.

Posted by: Kim | December 6, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Hello kim!

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Shloshed?

Posted by: SonofCarl | December 6, 2007 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Hi, Kim - where have you been? Hi, Yoki!

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 6, 2007 1:48 AM | Report abuse

And hi, Pacifica.

Goodnight, boodle.

Posted by: mostlylurking | December 6, 2007 2:09 AM | Report abuse

"jackie and dunlap talk to elizabeth kucinich"

Posted by: L.A. lurker | December 6, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Geez, lookit all the long-lost friends I missed!!! *stompin' feet*

Then again, I DO have a few inches of snow to enjoy today!!

*frolickin-in-the-flakes Grover waves*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2007 5:03 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

Thanks for all the tips on keeping warm. My part of Ohio is no stranger to the cold (so neither am I), but I always worked in a climate controlled office until this year. What I really need to do is insulate the shop and run "real" heat out there. Not a cheap feat.

Oh great... just looked at the desktop weather thingy and it says 16F. Gonna be even colder out in fairy door land.

Pacifica... hope your Mom likes her door. :-)

I ended up taking yesterday off, more or less. Between the cold weather, my cold, lugging in a big TV, chronic bronchitis, an ill Little Bean, etc., sawdust just wasn't happening. So now I'm even further behind.

Cassandra... hope whatever it was that was causing you grief has passed.

Peace out, my friends...

(and remember... try to be like Santa today... give a kid a squeeze and a smile and drop a buck or twenty in the Salvation Army kettle)

Posted by: martooni | December 6, 2007 5:16 AM | Report abuse

Goodmorning! I love the snow. It makes me feel like a kid all over again. The boys and I built a snowman last night. It's the biggest one in the neighborhood so far. The snow was excellent for making snowballs, which means of course, that I kept getting clobbered last night.

Now its off to the bus in the snow to go to work. Ugh, sometimes I feel like I'm getting too old to Keep up the routine.

Posted by: Pat | December 6, 2007 5:39 AM | Report abuse

I am blushing Yoki, glad you are home safe and sound.

I am still smiling about that encounter on the street. Thanks again for a great dinner and lively conversation.

Posted by: dmd | December 6, 2007 7:09 AM | Report abuse

G'morning, everybody, even Tyffani! Oh, and hi, Cassandra, hope you are having a good week.

Enjoy your snow, you folks who are getting precipitation. We in NC are staring down at Stage 4 water restrictions.

Posted by: Slyness | December 6, 2007 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Hi Pat, Pacifica, and Kim!

Howdy Daiwanian and Rain Forest, out there.

Frosti, CPBoy curls. But then again, fully one half of his genes come from the Greater Bemijdi Metropolis, so natch', right? One CPDot curls too.

Thanks, Joel, for keeping this blog string-along open without registration. Do you know if doing this had cleaned up some of the vitriol on other WaPo forums? I checked out the article on school closings in Ward 5 and had to back away and rinse twice.

Two hour delay on most schools here, which our Canadian penpals can use as evidence of weakness, moral turpitude, Roman Empire-like sloth, etc. We doff our snow hats to you, oh the valiant.

Posted by: College Parkian | December 6, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. The bright sliver of moon and Venus against the cristal sky were beautiful this morming. It's also our first excursion below -20C/-4F so it was a bit nippy. The crunching sound made by the snow on cold days always bring back childhood memories. The Puppy doesn't dig the cold though, unlike the OGBL. It doesn't have the heavy tuft of coarse hair the Lab has between the pads of its paws. Maybe it will grow some.
Hi dmd, you painted TO red with Yoki, did you?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 6, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Bless you Joel Achenbach and the good work you do.

I wonder if that last shot is suitable for framing.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 6, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

SD -- CPMiniPoodle adores the snow, despite it being to her chest. Her fur -- lamb-cut by me -- however, creates clinging snow balls that must each be removed one by one. Blechhhhh! Nippy out there and just the weather for tongue accidents. I believe that Jimmy Moore from long ago and far away is still taste-humbled from licking a stop sign pole at the edge of the Kiwanis Park skating pond in 1970. He did not wait for Sister Bernadette to return with a saucepan of very warm water.

Posted by: College Parkian | December 6, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm the luckiest man alive. I'm shorter than Dennis Kucinich, arguably not as handsome, and married to a woman as beautiful as she is good hearted. Plus, I'm not delusional. Eat your heart out, Dennis.

Posted by: mike s | December 6, 2007 8:23 AM | Report abuse

It's always strange that, even with what should be a reduced traffic load on the roads, commuting is so snail-like on days such as this.

Compounding all of this is the fact that I COULD have worked from home today, but I came in to take care of something in person... And the other person decided to work from home!!! *L*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2007 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Happy Saint Nicholas Day! My Brazilian friend introduced me to this holiday; I had never heard of it before. St. Nick is a pretty cool saint; for one thing he lived a long life so his life story isn't R rated for gore like a lot of saints. His influence in the culture is far-reaching. Apparently one of the legends about his life inspired the story that inspired the story (etc.) that led to Johnny Depp's latest Hollywood venture, the musical Sweeney Todd. Also, the pawnbroker's sign that shows three gold balls originated with one of Nicholas's good deeds. In addition, he is the patron saint of just about everybody and everything, for example: packers, parish clerks, paupers, pawnbrokers, pedlars, perfumeries, perfumers, pharmacists, pilgrims, pirates, poets, poor people, preachers, prisoners, prostitutes, and pupils -- and that's just the P's!

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do to celebrate the day, so just do whatever you deem appropriate, and I wish you joy of it!

Posted by: kbertocci | December 6, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Hello Scotty, I find the Tc99 shortage story's playing pretty quietly in the US. You have alternate source? With Nordion and the CNSC being local things and Chalk river barely an hour upriver it has become a front page story locally.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 6, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps if I were working at home I might be able to comment, Shriek...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

'nuff said. I'll fart in their general direction in the waiting patients' name.
Just when I say it doesn't play big in the Us the NYT puts the story on its tree-less front page:

Posted by: shrieking denizen | December 6, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

By my last count of boodlers who have posted more the once on different days there are 168 of us. Dee and mike s and the likes with one post on one day and never again don't get counted. More than half that count hasn't posted in over a year so they may no longer be regular readers, just no way of knowing. There are about fifty of us that post at least once a week if not every day.

Posted by: omni | December 6, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Hi all.. sorry to have missed Kim, Pacifica and Pat. I love your post, mike s... I hope your wife knows you say things like that.

Nice morning here. The 2-hour delay means my daughter gets to sleep until 7:30... a much more reasonable time anyway.

And kbertocci... that Saint Nicholas was a cool dude. Even when he punched out Arias at the Council of Nicea. Maybe that part of his story *should* be rated R for violence.

Posted by: TBG | December 6, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Guess who's coming to lunch?

Apparently--according to our local paper, Mitt Romney, after his speech in College Station this morning. Why San Antonio? Other than to raise money? To clarify his disasterous remarks about immigration uttered in Florida last week? The luncheon will be a private affair of course, after which Romney jumps on a plane to more fund-raising soirees in Dallas and Ft. Worth. But why here? Geographic proximity?

I do want to challenge Elder Ballard about his comments in the video, link on the home page, during which he explains Mormonism's roots. According to author Sally Denton, the church's current name is the third iteration. Church members got all uppity and challenged founder Joseph Smith about the second title Smith had chosen. Smith relented and incorporated Jesus Christ in the church's name to appease the complaining and growing chorus of voices.

Posted by: Loomis | December 6, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Good wish for a warming trend morning boodlers. Snowing here but it's dry and not blowing so it won't hamper driving.

Mudge-You are a true friend. Thanks for the Life recap. I hope they get the episode online soon, that has to be the worst 8 minutes to miss on TV since Laettner's jump shot against Kentucky.

Kim!

Bob S. you may regain your nom de boodle by registering with WaPo from a new e-mail address and setting up a new profile with your desired name. Did you stray over to comment on an article? That's what bit me and it took a while to get my true identity back.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 6, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I'll second that SD. Not good.

I missed Tyffani, new people and curling? In just one night? Ahhhhh. I consider it a huge personal victory when y'all disscuss curling and I'm not here.

Posted by: dr | December 6, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle.

I have a really nice view of a sunny, snow-covered landscape from my office window this morning. [Too bad it's in the wilds of western NoVa]

bc

Posted by: bc | December 6, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I do wonder about those we no longer hear from. Sparks, Bigcranky--you out there?

The snow sure does throw things all higgledy-piggledy, doesn't it? Last night I almost didn't make it up a hill because those in front of me were going so freakin' slow their tires started to spin. But The Wonder Dog loves it. During the heaviest snowfall, he asked to go outside and just sat there, getting snowed on. (Said snow got shaken off after he came back in the house, but that's another matter...)

The TV news coverage this morning would have amused you, frosti. Reporters standing outside telling us how cold it is. It was in the low 20s, with a light breeze. It was cold, but I don't feel entitled to whine about it (rare, I know) until it's at least in the teens.

Posted by: Raysmom | December 6, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Dr -- but the uber and final victory will be manboodlers sharing knitting instructions for Fibonacci-number confections. Doilies and BEYOND.

DR.DR.DR! But really to other wanting to create that stuffed head decor we covet:

Scroll down to the cut and assemble three-D Moose or Stag trophy heads. Huzzah!

Posted by: College Parkian | December 6, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Back home from a whirlwind trip. Seriously, there was wind whirling all over the place. Good trip, although, as always, I ended up seated in the center seat between two individuals who could be described as "beefy." I suspect this is done by the government for my own safety. Yeah. That's it.

Anyway, I observed that this whole Ground Hog thing is way bigger than I ever suspected. I drove past an enormous colony of them. They appeared to be watching me. And plotting.

As I mentioned before, I must admit a certain primal attraction to Mrs. Kucinich. Wow. Just imagine if Kucinich were elected. I mean, it would give me great motivation to excel in my career so as to get invited to s few of those fancy shmancy state dinners.

Where I would be immediately arrested for propositioning the first lady.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 6, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Hi Frosti- good morning, boodle.

Frosti- I have to tell you, Joel was right when he said that cream of chicken is "inspired" in your recipe for turkey chili.
Yum! That was a huge hit in our house, so thanks for that!

Kids are bitter. 3 flakes fell yesterday here while their Maryland cousins frolicked in the white stuff. Our 32 degrees last night seems so paltry compared to Frosti's s-s-s-s-seventeen below.

Posted by: Kim | December 6, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodlettes and Boodleers. I tried to post early this morning but my splitter crapped out again. What I was going to post about was this: I asked a question yesterday about the Florida primary, and bingo, within hours the Post had posted this update in "The Trail" section: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/12/05/judge_rules_in_dncs_favor_in_c.html saying that a federal judge ruled yesterday in favor of the DNC and against Florida. (The piece doesn't say, but I'm guessing there will be appeals, since Fla. has vowed to continue fighting.

I see today must be Rightwing Nut Case Day in the Opinions/Op-Ed section: columns by John Bolton (arguing the party line about the NIE making Iran more dangerous, not less), Novak (jerk), Will, and Gerson (maroon). A quadfecta of mindless drivel, in other words.

Mary Ann Akers' "The Sleuth" column (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2007/12/a_few_republicans_still_want_c.html?hpid=news-col-blog) has a nice deadpan piece about Dick Cheney not exactly being a hot draw on the GOP campaign circuit. Seems except for two congressman and one state senator, nobody wants Ol' Darth to come out and stump for them. Result: Dick's dance card is pretty much empty. Who'd a thunk.

Tonight I have the soul-wrenching choice of either watching Romney's "I am not a wacky Mormon, zackly," speech, or the Redskins-Bears game. Dilemmas, dilemmas.... (Hey, even if they aren't on at the same time, I don't wanna know, OK? There was no freakin' way I was watching the Romney speech anyhow. I'm perfectly happy watching a re-run of "Good Eats" or "Two and a Half Men." I don't need self-inflicted smarm.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 6, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"...how cold it is..."

When people say that to me (no matter what the temperature), I just smile and say, "Nonsense! I've been dragged naked behind a snowmobile in weather worse than *this*."

This morning it was 10 or 12F in Wheeling. I stood outside for 15 minutes waiting for my ride, watching a neat little trio: the thinnest crescent of the waning moon, Venus, and Spica. They sat just above the houses across the street.

It was a perfect little scene.

Posted by: byoolin | December 6, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I wish Mormons were better represented in the media than by the likes of Romney, Donny and Marie, and polygamist nuts. As a heathen I'm less interested in what people believe than in how they act and my close association with Mormons in Hawaii leaves me less concerned with a Mormon as President than many Christian Evangelicals. Then again, maybe it was just the Samoan culture that was shining through.

Kim-glad your family enjoyed, but the cream of chicken soup is less inspired than it is the typical "canned food and meat" diet that everyone used to consume all winter here.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 6, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure any neighbors that were awake this morning thought me slightly mad when I went out at 3:15 or so to clean off NukeSpouse's car in gym shorts and a t-shirt.

And boots, of course.

:-)

'Mudge, did you notice Alton was wearing jeans during the ICA "holiday dessert" battle?

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

For those who want to look like hotshots and stay warm, the Nomex is at

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | December 6, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I think that the tape that Charlie picked up from the shoulder at the end of "Life" was the Buddha tape he was listening to earlier and flung from the car while making the point that while violence may not solve anything it sure does feel good sometimes. Why did you think it was Kyle preaching?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | December 6, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Click on the first pic and page down to view the comments

Posted by: omni | December 6, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I am considering changing my name from kurosawaguy to kurosawaguy, Lord of the Disconnect. Sorry if that last thing seemed a little non sequitor and stream of consciousness.
It's the a.m.

Posted by: KLOTD | December 6, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Kurosawaguy: Lord of the Disconnect

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 6, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, imaginary friends. I'm glad we've established that there are more than two of us, and we're over 21 too.

There's no snow here, though if we're very lucky on Sunday we may get sleet. In the NYT today Vernon Kinkenborg has a great essay on a slow drive in the Wyoming Bighorn Mountains during a storm. Evocative.

I tried to cut and paste the link but clearly I don't understand the technology yet. Trust me. Just go read it. Then hop over on the Opinions page and read Gail Collins on the candidates. Very nice.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 6, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

This just in: Evangeline Lilly Wins 'Best Wet T-Shirt Fight Scene' At The Strong Women In TV Awards

Posted by: omni | December 6, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Nomex is pretty standard for wildland firefighting gear. Good stuff. Structural firefighting gear is another deal entirely. The best is made with an outer shell of PBI (an acronym, but don't ask me what it stands for!) and is much more expensive. Also better in enclosed fire conditions. Mr. T is on the NFPA committee that sets standards for structural firefighting gear, so I get to watch. The politics are entertaining, to say the least.

Posted by: Slyness | December 6, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and welcome back to RD, and howdy to all y'all who posted while I wasn't here to greet you last night.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 6, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, I saw them in my morning drive to work. Beautiful. Hi, Martooni. Hope you are well and little Bean is well. Good to learn all the different ways to keep warm. Such as, stay together and cheer one up. Good morning, Cassandra.

Posted by: daiwanlan | December 6, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I think you're right, KLOTD; I had trouble reading exactly what was written on the tape, and assumed it was Kyle preaching, because that was what the girl was so fascinated with. But hyes, that would have neen a TV cassette, not a smaller cassette. And I had forgotten about his Buddha tape. Thanks for the correction.

I've been especially amused at Alan Arkin trying to figure out if he was Robin, or Alfred, or (god forbid) Higgins. And I really liked Brooke Langton in "The Replacements," with shorter hair. Wish she had the hair back and a bit more to do in the show. But I like Sarah Shahi. Wish Robin Weigart also had more to do...though she's on my short list of possible villains.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 6, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: omni | December 6, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, omni; you've made my day. Now, if I can only get my heart to stop racing.

Posted by: Curnudgeon | December 6, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking of you Mudge.

Posted by: omni | December 6, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

With its high melting point that stuff would be good for thongs.

Posted by: Boko999 | December 6, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

DaveotC, thanks for posting that Nomex link.

I pulled out my Nomex racing underwear this morning to wear to the game tonight. I'll probably forego the balaclava, and wear the rest of it *under* my clothes [though my racing suits *are* pretty darn warm, acutally].

bc

Posted by: bc | December 6, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

bc, you mean you aren't gonna stay home tonight to watch the Grey's Anatomy re-run?
I'm shocked.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 6, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Ha, omni, you show me up!

PBI is made just one place in the US, a plant in Rock Hill, SC. It's oh, maybe 20 miles from where I sit. The plant tour is fascinating. Celanese has spun the division off into its own company.

Last I heard, a bale of PBI fiber was going for around $25,000 so it's not going to be in consumer applications anytime soon. For firefighting gear, it's spun with Kevlar for strength.

Posted by: Slyness | December 6, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Omni - that article on PolyBenzImidazole was well timed because I just finished a book called "Napoleon's Buttons" about historically significant chemicals.

The relevance is that the authors have really written a stealth textbook on Organic Chemistry. By the end of this book I learned all about benzene rings and peptide bonds and all sorts of that kinda stuff.

As a devout physicist I had previously avoided this knowledge as intrinsically unclean.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 6, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

You guys all need a good tune cootie. Here it is: (office-safe, not a joke, etc. Just a good song.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 6, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Vernon Kinkenborg's story of driving across the Bighorns from Buffalo to Tensleep failed to mention that the road follows an impressive canyon into Tensleep. Thanks to the cold and good engineering, the road tends to be a pretty easy drive all year.

Mushy road conditions in Worland (where I once lived) sound a bit odd--it's the sort of place that has cold nights due to cold air drainage, so snow and ice tend to hang around until they sublimate. It's not usually a mushy or particularly slippery town.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | December 6, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

What was I thinking? Klinkenborg (spelling correction) indeed mentioned Tensleep Canyon.

I recall pointing out to a geologist that thanks to the Bighorns being a very dry range, a glacier never got all the way down Tensleep Canyon, which meant that a strange deposit extending from the Bighorns farther north in Big Horn County couldn't be an old glacial deposit. It's a spectacular landslide deposit.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | December 6, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Good morning or good afternoon, friends. Just checking in, running late this morning. A thousand things to do. Bless you, daiwalain. RD, glad you're back, and that blessing to JA is tied to those pictures, you rascal.

Martooni, still hanging in there. It's slow, but getting better. Thanks for asking.

Slyness, good morning, and Mudge, you have me laughing every time I read your post. Your critque of the op-ed folks is too, too, funny.

mostly, thanks for the lovely card, and thought that came with it.

Got to run. Have a great day, and be safe my friends. It is the holiday, and well, there are some folks that have trouble holidays and regular days. Just be careful.

Posted by: Cassandra S | December 6, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mudge! Didja hear the news that Giada is gonna be a Momma?

Man, I don't know if the world is ready for this.

Posted by: RD Padouk | December 6, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Padouk, she asked me to be her LaMaze coach.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 6, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Mudge-I thought you'd be more interested in helping her out with La Leche League meetings.

Posted by: frostbitten | December 6, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Let's just say I signed on for the full ride, OK, Frosty? And besides, somebody's gotta be the cameraman in the delivery room.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 6, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I just hope for her sake that Giada's baby doesn't have his or her mom's big head... or that at least a Cesarean is planned.

Yikes.

Posted by: TBG | December 6, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

We haven't decided yet, TBG. I'll let you know.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | December 6, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Giada does not have a big head. What she's has is a tiny body. They are expecting a girl due in April.

Posted by: omni | December 6, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Boy, I'm glad we have that cleared up!

Posted by: Slyness | December 6, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Been looking at Cillizza's blog on the pros and cons of the Romney address.

I was wondering about the following, so Googled them. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints doesn't allow women into its upper echelons, but Romney's administration in Massachusetts is quite a different story:

Baltimore Sun, "What Romney Won't Be saying about Mormonism"

"The other one would be that women have a very limited role in the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints,'' he notes of the male-dominated church hierarchy in Utah.

In 2002 women held approximately 30% of the top high-level appointed positions in the Commonwealth, even though they compose 52% of the population. To rectify this inequity, more than 25 women's organizations banded together to form the bi-partisan MassGAP Project for the purpose of increasing the number of women in high-ranking appointed positions in Massachusetts and achieving fairer representation of women. MassGAP sought to eliminate the difficulty that state executives say they experienced whenever they tried to find qualified women for high-ranking positions.. MassGAP did this through providing names and resumes of qualified women for top appointments.

Between January 2002 and July 2004, 42% of the new gubernatorial appointments made by Governor Mitt Romney were women. Massachusetts was widely recognized for that achievement and MassGAP was given credit for it. In a survey by the State University of New York (SUNY), Massachusetts was ranked first in the nation in the percentage of women holding top state positions. As the Boston Globe noted at that time, "Women fill 10 of 20 top positions in Governor Mitt Romney's administration, making the Commonwealth one of five states that come close to matching the percentage of top women appointees to the proportion of women in the overall population."

This accomplishment is significant. Nowhere else in Massachusetts government--not in the legislature, not in statewide offices, and not in municipal offices--are the numbers for women anywhere near as good. This fact was acknowledged by the Women's National Republican Club, which presented Governor Romney with its 2005 Exemplary Leadership Award for his work in recruiting and promoting women to cabinet and senior-level positions in his administration. At the dinner in Manhattan at which the governor was feted, he attributed his success in attracting "top-level women to serve in [my] Administration to the MassGAP program spearheaded by the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus shortly after the 2002 gubernatorial election."

Posted by: laloomis | December 6, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Ohmygod, am listening to the emergency radio traffic at a parking deck collapse at a nearby mall. This could be very ugly.

Posted by: Slyness | December 6, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Since everyone else is changing their handle, I might as well do the same. Any takers as to my former identity?

Posted by: pigpen | December 6, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I applaud the MassGAP program; it is great. However, I do have to give Romney credit for paying attention. The Commission on the Status of Women here, and other groups, try to maintain a list of qualified women available for appointment to state offices, boards and commissions. We've found the list is only as good as the appointing authority's willingness to use it. You can submit twenty qualified women, and if the appointer isn't interested in expanding his pool of candidates, it makes no difference. For years, one friend of mine routinely wore a button for meetings with the Governor and legislative leaders which read, "Where are the women?"

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 6, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: DLD | December 6, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

RDP-"I think that would be a great handle. But to really generate the proper gravitas I think you need to add a colon.

Kurosawaguy: Lord of the Disconnect"

Thanks anyway RD, but I'm fighting gravitas constantly as it is, and the medical implications of adding another colon are downright daunting. I'd either have to bifurcate and rejoin at the off ramp, or add a buttock!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | December 6, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If K:LOTD had to add a buttock, he would presumably have three, in which case the better Boodle handle would be "Mr. Arthur Frampton."

Posted by: byoolin | December 6, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Apologies if someone else noted this, but the self-explanatory website:

Posted by: ed | December 6, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse