Among the Big Game Hunters

[Cross-posted from The Trail.]

BLUFFTON, S.C., 9:30 a.m. -- Have found a quiet spot in the library of Pinckney Hall, in the town center of Sun City Hilton Head, a gated community for the over-50 set, nicely braided by golf courses. Mitt Romney will shortly appear, hoping to maintain momentum after his smashing victory last night in Michigan. Sun City is in the southernmost corner of the state, conveniently only a couple of hours from Rudy Giuliani's last stop Tuesday night in Florida, at one of the strangest political venues you'll ever see on the campaign trail.

To get there you had to drive north from Jacksonville for about half an hour, right to the St. Mary's River at the border with Georgia. The directions took you to a dirt road that led into deep woods. It was very dark. It was by initial appearances a part of the planet inhabited only by vegetation and insects. But up ahead one could discern the flashing lights of a couple of troopers, guarding a dirt driveway with a sign overhead: "Thistle Dew Lodge."

The driveway led for a mile, through land cleared of underbrush. Under the canopy of live oaks, animals appeared in the headlights: Deer. But fake deer. Plastic, or maybe stone.

Beyond some floodlights, so close to the river you could smell its murky water, stood the destination, the lodge, a brawny, three-story edifice, the ultimate man-cave, with a cavernous main hall lined with stuffed animal heads. Half a bear, preserved mid-snarl, guarded one doorway. The chandelier bristled with antlers. The mayor (already finished and out of sight by the time I arrived from Jacksonville) had spoken beneath the protruding head of a titanic 14-point elk. His audience was comprised of some 130 members of the Safari Club International, North Florida Chapter.

Big game hunters.

"But I also enjoy duck hunting," stipulated Tyrie Boyer, 83, a former judge. "I've taken everything from an elephant to a squirrel." He said he liked Giuliani's position on guns, small government and taxes, and "just about became convinced tonight."

A quick reconnaissance suggested that the club members are characters straight out of Tom Wolfe's "A Man in Full" -- successful men, vociferously conservative. They're part of the Republican elite in North Florida, folks that don't take kindly to anything that smacks of liberalism. These are the people who still love the president. "I'm behind Bush 100 percent. I think he's doing a hell of a job," said David DeBerry, the club treasurer, as a TV behind him played a DVD showing hunters posing with prone animals - elephant, water buffalo, hippo, warthog, etc.

Investment adviser David Foster, who six months ago felled a rhino in South Africa with a dart to the sternum, said, "I bet there's a gun in every vehicle here."

He said Hillary Clinton is a "wacko" and the Rev. Jesse Jackson a "hatemonger." He has no love for the "liberal media," Democrats, socialists, communists, Islamic radicals, etc.

"What was that lunatic's name - Al Gore - can you imagine Al Gore in 9/11?" Foster said as he waved an Opus X cigar.

He might vote for Giuliani. Mitt Romney? Probably not.

"He's too much of a slickster, too much of a Bill Clinton slickster," he said.

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 16, 2008; 11:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rudy in the Bold New City of the South
Next: "Rack 'em Romney"

Comments

first!?

Posted by: frostbitten | January 16, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about water buffalo being a legitimate safari game Joel. Cape Buffalo is one of the big five though, so I suspect the TV was showing old rich white guys holding expensive rifles over the carcass of very dead Cape buffs.
I've heard a guy from CBC radio interview the pastor of the biggest Greenville SC church last weekend. Like your financial advisor this guy was desperate to find a worthy successor to Arbusto. He sees nothing he likes in the GOP field and wishes W could be back.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 16, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Loomis-I bow to your polite announcement of a new kit without taking first for yourself. I am such a hog.

At my early AM meeting, walking as a form of transportation to and from children's activities came up. Cultural difference alert- In our fair city we think nothing of 14 year olds walking about town with shotguns or rifles under their arms. Let them go to "the cities" without an adult chaperone for every 3 kids. Not on your life! Not everyone with a gun in their pickup is a gun nut. Having said that, I'm with yello. If we get a national conceal and carry law I'll be emigrating. Mr. F can come if he wants.

Posted by: frostbitten | January 16, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, if you take May River Road out of Bluffton, to Fording Island Rd (Highway 278), you'd be on Hilton Head Island.

This blurb from amazon. com tells the story that dovetails into your Kit. Hunting clubs down there--not a big surprise:

In this dramatic account of a hitherto unexplored but crucial story of the war, Jennet Conant traces one of the world's most extraordinary careers and scientific enterprises. She describes [Alfred Lee] Loomis' phenomenal rise to become one of the Wall Street legends of the go-go twenties. He foresaw the stock market crash of 1929 in time to protect his vast holdings, making a fortune while other bankers were losing their shirts. He rode out the Depression years in high style, and indulged in the hobbies of the fabulously rich. He raced his own America's Cup yacht against the Vanderbilts and Astors, and purchased Hilton Head Island in South Carolina as his private game reserve.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't you just love it that there is a fellow in Florida called Dave deBerry? And that he's a staunch Republican? I immediately thought how much fun it would be to hack Dave Barry's blog and post "I'm behind Bush 100%" and otherwise mess with people's minds.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Dangitall! I missed Cassandra on the radio!

Joel, are you sure you and Senor Rudy didn't accidentally pass through The Guardian of Forever and attend a meeting of the Bull Moose Party in 1908 or something? Talk about people being disconnected from the real world... :-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Summer before last, my wife and I were trolling through South Carolina scouting eventual retirement locations. We were in that very Sun City development, in that very building. Got the full tour, walked through the model homes, even saw one we sorta liked and the price was right. Ate dinner at the brand spanking new Carrabba's on Hilton Head, so new that some of the furniture hadn't yet been delivered, and there was still some construction debris adjacent to the parking lot. My wife got her white zinfandel and I took a hit off my Black Russian, and my wife asked, "Well, what did you think?"

And I said, "Not in a million g----m years."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 16, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you leave work, and don't get to check in in the morning, and find 3 kits? or is it 2. I honestly don't remember anymore.

Which is I am sure part of the point of his bloginess' blogging. So people mentally understand what campaigning is like even when its peripheral. It almost makes me admire politicians.

But not quite.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I actually have a story about Hilton Head.

I had been working as a writer for Tymnet (acquired during my time there by McDonnell Douglas) for several years. I had married my current husband, and we had bought our first home. The workday commute across the Coastal Range, through the Livermore Valley, and on to Silicon Valley--and back--wore me ragged, so I scouted for a job closer to our new home and accepted a job with the Modesto Chamber of Commerce.

The previous year, I had traveled to Marco Island, Fla., a resort, for Tymnet's THUGS annual get-together, THUGS an acronym for Tymnet Happy Users' Group. I had just gotten engaged. The time there along the Florida's western coast was gorgeous--the clouds, the sunrises, the surf, the shells scattered along the beach, not to mention the photo opportunities.

But just before I was to depart my position with Tymnet, the next THUGS annual meeting was to take place. Even though my remaining time with Tymnet was very short, by boss, Judie Sassali, wanted me to travel to Hilton Head, to be the lead writer about the conference. Now, I love travel, but absolutely detest flying. I declined the offer to go.

I've often looked back on that decision with some regret and wonder, wonder given the Alfred Lee Loomis story. Had I gone, would some hotel clerk who checked me in have recognized the name Loomis? Would some conference attendee have known the history of the island and passed it on to me? Would there have been some museum there with Alfred Lee Loomis' name in it that would have caught and piqued my attention? Would I have learned of my family and their history, via Alfred Lee, in the mid-80s, instead of 2003?

So, Joel, if you write of your current environs, you can be sure that I'll be paying very close attention. South Carolina is one of the handful of states that I've never visited, regretfully.

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

somebody fax dr some smelling salts STAT.

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank you omni, it may have saved my sanity.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

For a world of difference, go one island north and visit Hunting Island, SC.

You drive through the picturesque town of Beaufort to get there (pronounced Bewfurt, unlike the one in NC, which is pronounced Bowfurt).

Or even farther north to Edisto Island, SC. That's one of my favorite places. When we discovered a flat tire one day, we were told to visit some guy's garage.. "when you get to the third curve, turn right and go into the woods."

And Charleston... my friend just told me she had the meal of a lifetime at the Charleston Grill last weekend. Is The Post paying? I'd say give it a try.

Posted by: TBG | January 16, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Your welcom dr. I keep my head straight by reading this and celebritology at the same time.

I just noticed celebritology has brit in the middle. Surely a sign of end times....do-do-do-do=do-do-do-do (Twilight Zone)

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

This from Froomkin's chat-

"Robert Draper reported in his book "Dead Certain" that chief of staff Josh Bolten does indeed tell Bush: "Thank you for the privilege of serving today" each morning. But I think that says more about Bolten than it does about Bush."

How on earth do rational adult humans either give or receive such abject syncophancy without gagging?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Got my snark out over there just now:

"If someone put a gun to my head and said Diane (Keaton) or Katie (Holmes)...Diane no question...Katie might be contagious you know."

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

To clarify my snark for those who may not read Liz Kelly's blog, there's a lot of hate for those two women on her blog and very, very little love.

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Dropped on their heads at birth kguy.

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

kurosawaguy, I have no problem with it--none whatsoever. Us bridge salesmen consider it our due, and I've been looking for a Josh Bolten for a number of weeks now.

Posted by: MedallionOfFerret | January 16, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Loomis, you missed a great place when you passed on a trip to Hilton Head.

I first went there in 1958, and there was only one eight-unit motel on the island. My parents were offered two lots between the golf course and the beach for $1900 each. My father, who certainly didn't have a good head for business, declined to purchase. My mother regretted that till the end of her life. I just wonder how far into seven figures those lots are worth now.

The beach is beautiful and wide, and the development has been tasteful, even if too expensive for regular folks like us. It's Mr. T's favorite beach destination.

Personally, I like Kiawah Island better; it was built 20 years later than Hilton Head with more environmental care. And it's closer to Charleston, always a draw. Low country seafood, now there is really good eatin', as we say here in the South. Nice beach, too.

LOL, Mudge, I'm right with you on living in a retirement community anywhere on that coast.

Posted by: Slyness | January 16, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

k-guy, I could barely *read* what Bolten said without gagging, never mind giving or receiving.

Henceforth Bolten shall be known as Waylon Smithers.

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

T.O. may be gone (snif, sniffle), but we still got Randy!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

A busy, busy evening, and a busy day today.
Cassandra, I'm sorry I missed your radio address, please let us know if the show is archived and available online, I'd still like to hear it.

Joel, I'm looking forward to reading your observations regarding Rudy's Wagon Train across Florida.

Is it me, or is he putting all of his eggs in one basket? [and won't he be surprised to find out that they're alligator eggs?]

bc

Posted by: bc | January 16, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I backboodled, so I feel out of sync, but at least I know what you have been up to.

I'm devastated that I missed your broadcast, Cassandra. One of my boodle highlights was hearing Scotty become the voice a while back, and I was really looking forward to hearing you speak. This is such an odd format where someone you consider a good friend is a voice you would not know. Is this going to be something you will do regularly? Will they replay it? If they do, can you let me know, because I sure love to listen and hear.

Joel, blog away. The boodle will survive. Though I have recovered from almost admiring politicians, the people such as yourself are unsung and must be really tired. Its an interesting peak at a journalists world during a campaign. Almost meta.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

dr, with a nod to the recently televised Hunt for Red October I have personally dubbed these frequent kits "Crazy Joels".

Posted by: SonofCarl | January 16, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

One of my favourite movies, SoC. 'Crazy Joels' it is.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

A treat for those who missed it, an item from 22 Minutes with David Wilkins, US ambassador to Canada.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey wait a minute. That is not what aired last night, but it is obviously in addition to what aired last night.

Too bad you can't see that. Wilkins may not have known Canada when he started but he knows exactly how to deal with our comedian broadcaster types now. Nice going Mr. Wilkins.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ah there it is, just scroll down the list for Part 2.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Whillickers when I come up for air, all I do is hog the blog.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

LOLing at "Crazy Joels." So be it. Nicely done, SofC.

TBG, we really liked Bewfort (to distinguish it from Bowfort) and adjacent to it Lady's Island. We looked at Charleston and Savannah both, but couldn't find anything we liked. Whereas the downtown areas were neat (tourist-wise), there's no way we could afford to live there (I especially liked the old squares in Savannah, but that's waaaaay outa my price range, and my wife would never live in a downtown area anyway, though I would). Neither one seemed to have much of a suburb; when you got out beyond the city limites you started hearing the "Deliverance" theme music right away. Lady's Island was affordable; the neatest old homes and streets in Bewfort were not.

That Sun City complex Joel is squatting in is a Del Webb megaproject, if that name means anything to anybody.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 16, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

yes dr, it seems Mr. Wilkins has made some improvements, perhaps he could speak to Mr. Gates.

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Have a nasty cold - hope the Boodle isn't contagious - dragging myself from Kit to Kit.

Happy birthday to MLK, one day late. Good article here, including comments from Taylor Branch:
(Loomis, that was quite a "small world" story about the woman in Nevada - she wound up in a WaPo story too, but I'm not sure which one now.)

Couldn't read or knit last night, so watched the debate. Thought they all did well, although poor Edwards was left on the sidelines a bit. Wouldn't mind if he won a primary or 2, to keep it interesting. I can't stand Chris Matthews.

Sorry I missed Cassandra's radio debut.

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 16, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"Willikers"?? Man, I haven't heard of "willikers" in decades. Actually, it's quite refreshing.

OK, you may all return to your naps now.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 16, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The kit reminds me of the people near here who placed faux deer around the kid's sandbox and swingset. I'll bet the little darlings really hop it during hunting season.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 16, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Hunting has got to be the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 16, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

LostInThought, you haven't seen the Toronto Maple Leafs in action this season, have you?

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

byoolin I just about spit my coffee out on that one - Like this season makes a difference.

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Nifty Kit Joel. As usual you manage to treat everyone with respect even when the temptation to poke fun must be overwhelming.

It is probably predestined that I will one day live in South Carolina. My in-laws are buying a home in Myrtle Beach. And my wife has this unhealthy fascination with sun and surf.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 16, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"I bet there's a gun in every vehicle here."

Statements like that would dampen even my impulse to mock. Perhaps something might be safely attempted in a language outside their comprehension- japanese? French? German? Literary allusion? Monty Python references?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

OMG, I failed to capitalize "Japanese." Must commit seppuku...

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

... or Standard English?

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Do they mock me? Did I say something wisible?

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

*faxin' k-guy a spork for the ritual*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

(trying not to sputter) -- Boy, does that steam me! Actually going to Africa to kill. And there aren't that many rhinos left anyway. Bet that subhuman was really proud, eh? Those kinds of guys are the ones whose heads should be on the walls in the best of lodges, instead of all the other "animals" they so joyously kill.

I took almost 700 shots of animals in Africa, all of them digital. Didn't hurt them a bit. Nor, indeed, did it hurt me. I was in absolute awe the entire time. It would not *occur* to me to snuff out their lives for my "pleasure." Geez.

(grumble)

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | January 16, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Dang! Can never find a nice sharp tanto when you really need one- wait, what's this? A spork? What smartaweck sends me a spork? And why am I suddenly talking like E. Fudd? I've had enough of this wowdy webel sniggewing behaviour. Hawi-kiwi wiww just have to wait tiw I get to the bottom of this conundwum.

Posted by: kuwosawaguy | January 16, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Be vewwy vewwy qwiet...

I'm hunting e-mails...

*distinct lack of "heh heh heh"*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Surely I have used willickers before? It reminds me of Gaby Hayes.

I use it to offset what happens to my language when I read Jane Austen - cowboy basic versus early 19th century English. With all the talk of how I missed Persuasion on TV, I'm pret neer done in, consarn it all.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

As a group, the classic cowboy sidekicks of Hollywood, Gabby Hayes, Walter Brennan, and Smiley Burnett, are interesting characters. All made dozens of films, became wealthy, and had happy and stable home lives married to their first and only wives for 40-50 years. All were unlike their screen personas. Hayes was well educated and quite cultured. Burnett started as a singer and wrote hundreds of songs and played dozens of instruments. Brennan remains the only person to win three Best Supporting Actor Oscars. Hayes and Brennan had successful vaudeville careers and only turned to movies because they were financially wiped out in the crash of 1929. Brennan lost his teeth in an accident when in his 30's and played older parts with ease thereafter. His unique voice was caused by vocal cord damage from poison gas in WWI.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Waking up from my nap...

mostlylurking, thank you *so much* for pointing that Tews was also covered in the Washington Post, not only at the NYT. It was Peter Slevin posting at "The Trail."
I Googled. Here's the link:

You are really tempting me to pull out more of the Tews story. The first 10 grafs of what I wrote about her back in April of 81 have to do with Tews overcoming her fears in order to become a climber.

I see that in my original copy, I transposed the digits in the height of Annapurna. Ratsinfrats. Oh, to have had Google back then. Never was the grand typist. I don't recall if this mistake was a typing error, or a listening error, or a communications error. You have no idea how small the South Lake Tahoe library, not far from the Trib office, was at the time.

Since making my post to the Sir Edmund Hillary Kit, I have Googled to learn that two members of that women's climbing group perished on the mountain--not in my write-up. This climb brought about the famous T-shirt slogan, "A woman's place in on top."

Tews has some humorous family info, plus she made some other notable climbs in her life. You are really tempting me to once again pull out that old, yellow, fading copy and give you more of her story.

Not this afternoon. We're heading out to eat Italian food, and since we haven't gone to that restaurant in awhile, I'm excited. When you talk about really good eatin' in South Carolina, Slyness, what do you mean exactly? And you say that Hilton Head is rather glam?

Now, I really am kicking myself--hard. Note to self: pick up right foot and kick left shin with great force.

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Loomis if you enjoy good golf, tennis and yachting Hilton Head is the place for you.

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

To be fair I must also say that particularly in his later years Walter Brennan was a considerable bigot and arch conservative in the JE Hoover vein. Supported Wallace in'68 'cause he thought Nixon was too liberal. Reportedly laughed at the news of MLK's death. Not nice, not nice at all.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

kguy, that's really interesting info on the sidekicks. I had no idea. Loomis, Tews sounds intriguing too.

My plan for today was to see No Country for Old Men, but that will have to wait till I feel a bit better. *sneeze*

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 16, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

of a free State

Forgive me
but my right
to your wallet
shall not be infringed

Posted by: SonofCarl | January 16, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear, kguy, just saw your second comment about Walter Brennan. Just as I was giving him newfound respect - guess not, the old b*****d.

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 16, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Not that Gabby Hays, surely. dr's Gabby will be the great polka king of the prairies.

C. 1971 my little brother and I were walking past the great Hotel MacDonald in Edmonton when we saw a famous face emerge from a limo. He turned to me and said, "That was Gabby Hays!" (which cracked us both up, as you can imagine). It was, too.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Some of the best seafood in the entire world in the Low Country, Loomis. Fabulous eating! And yeah, Hilton Head does skew rich and glam these days.

Posted by: Slyness | January 16, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

good eating in SC is the shrimp & grits here

Posted by: CB | January 16, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

SoC, if you found a gun in a car, it was not my car, and it was not my gun.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I love the "Man In Full" reference. The best set piece there is the stud horse scene. The only possibly better reference would be Carl Hiaasen's "Sick Puppy" complete with a dog named Boodle.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

So did that gentleman at least have the common decency to offer a hard-working journalist one of those Opus X cigars?

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 16, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. "Crazy Joels" - perfect. Thanks, SonofCarl, for a new entry in the Boodle lexicon. I'm fascinated by the on-the-spot descriptions of these places, particularly the Lodge That Time Forgot (since I'll certainly never visit it).

I think the Boy & I came home because I felt bad; I slept all afternoon while he eventually seemed to bounce back and finished his homework (diorama of Mines of Moria, anyone? Grrrrr. If this teacher didn't usually assign weekly essays I'd be really annoyed).

I'm sorry to have missed Cassandra's radio show; I'm glad it went well. Let us know when the next one is!

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

No, that Gabby Hayes. I loved him on the Roy Rogers show. IIRC we had to have our Saturday cleaning done before we could watch Roy Rogers. I recall one time, I was running behind, and swept the entire pile of whatever had to be swept, carried taken to the laundry, down the stairs, thinking mom would fall for my thinking that if the upstairs was clean, someone else had to deal with it if I got to the bottom. Needless to say, I did not see Roy Rogers that day. Roy Rogers and Gabby Hayes remain tied with Saturday cleaning forever in my brain.

It is unfortunate about Brennan. The sad thing is that he did not learn to grow even into his old age. As I am fast becoming aquainted with aging, my own, my folks and the R folks aging ways, there is a point where the civility filter gets turned off as you age, and you become incapable of accepting new ideas. I'm working to remember that for when I get old and cranky (I'm just cranky now, old will happen later) I guess I'll put it down for a sorrow, and remember a funny man from long ago.

Posted by: dr | January 16, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

The big game hunters emulate the GOP slime machine: mow down anything that stands in your way. The way my mind is working right now, it paired up hunting and Mona Lisa Vito's rant about killing Bambi. Joel, if your travels take you anywhere near Calabash, you need to stop at the Calabash Seafood Shack for the real deal. Is the next Crazy Joel going left, or right?

Posted by: jack | January 16, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

SoC -- Laurel leafs at you. Vr.Gd.

Polka of the Prairie, why Miss Yoki-dear yee-haawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

And, little known fact. I can yodel. We learn to yodel in about third grade, in Montana, the same year we sing

Yippe Ty Yi Ey Get a long li' doggies AND
Bury me not on the lone prairie AND
Give me a home where the buffalo roam AND

Cowboys yodel, not that they are Swiss necessarily....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: College Parkian | January 16, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

With the turn of the semester, stress has found an outlet in sweets, particularly after dinner. Oreo cakesters are pretty darn good. They remind me of suzy Q's. I'm glad the things weren't around in my test pilot days.

Posted by: jack | January 16, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Grupposo, Kozy Shack Pudding impresario died. Sad. Good pudding, if you cannot whip up a batch. My children thought that such pudding treats meant you were shortly after being sick. Comfort food, for a sore throat world.

Posted by: College Parkian | January 16, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Funny comments in Marc Fisher's blog that seem Boodleworthy.

He's posted a video of Canadian publisher Ezra Levant defending himself against a hearing officer from the Alberta Human Rights Commission who is investigating his magazine for republishing those controversial 2006 Danish cartoons lampooning Mohammad...

I love that he's drinking Canada Dry.

Posted by: OD | January 16, 2008 09:46 AM
___________________________________________

I would have thought that, up there, they would just call it "Dry."

Posted by: Lindemann | January 16, 2008 09:57 AM

Posted by: TBG | January 16, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

We've spent some time along the South Carolina coast. Hunting Island, Edisto Island, and Huntington Beach are all terrific birding spots in spring migration. My in-laws spent their beach week in an ocean front cottage in North Myrtle Beach for probably thirty years. (Not many of those cottages left anymore.)

Low country cuisine:

Mmmmmmm. The oyster roast at pretty much any restaurant in Murrells Inlet is worth every penny.

Posted by: bigcranky | January 16, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

TBG I think I like the Woodbridge VA comment better, I proudly refuse to defend my right to bear arms!

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Shrimp and grits, yum. Fried green tomatoes. Low boil, or frogmore stew: shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes, seasoning, peel the shrimp at the table and throw the shells in the bucket provided. Always with shrimp that were swimming in the ocean less than 12 hours before.

Actually, Joel, if you're on I-95, turn right at NC 904 and follow the signs to Sunset Beach. Just before the causeway, turn left and eat at Twin Lakes. Their scallops are to die for. Don't fill up on the hushpuppies with honey butter before your entree arrives.

Posted by: Slyness | January 16, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Er, I'm not much of a dart player, how'd Fosster *score* that one?

Was that sternum a single or double rhino, and did he double out with it?
[Obviously *not* a "rhinoseye," for you dart newbies.] Also, I suspect they were playing 'Killers.'

bc

Posted by: bc | January 16, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes, dmd. That's a good one.

I just noticed our very own Bob S. in those Fisher comments, too!

Posted by: TBG | January 16, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Dag, I put quotes around that bit I lifted from Joel's TrailKit.

Musta botched it when I posted. Please assign me a penalty SCC.

CP, I regard C&W yodeling as a personal preference, much like rap or speed metal.

Also an acquired taste, I think.

bc

bc

Posted by: bc | January 16, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Does Dolores O'Riordan, former lead singer for The Cranberries, yodel? If so I'm, like, totally on board with this.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 16, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I saw Bob's post as well TBG, but forgot to mention it (thanks Bob!).

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

RD,
Caterwauling is more like it.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Hushpuppies with honey butter, now you're talkin'! Growing up mostly in the west, moving to the northeast, then settling in the south as I have... really good hushpuppies are where it's at, as far as I'm concerned.

Someone mentioned Edisto Island, SC earlier. I camped there for several days back in the early 80's and I've never been back. It was a beautiful place and I've always wondered how it stood up to the ravages of development.

On kit...I thing Joel writes about the people he meets during his travels with respect and fairness. That said, his current kit subjects make me very cranky.

Posted by: Kim | January 16, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh and I hope you and the Boy are feeling better soon, Ivansmom.

Dioramas....gggggrrrrrr!

Posted by: Kim | January 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me the kafuffle in Nevada? I'll admit that I wasn't paying attention, silly me, evening news is on and I'm doing laundry, getting dinner, considering paying the mid-month bills. I wasn't paying full attention to any one thing.

Did I just hear complaints that the site of caucuses in gaming establishments isn't fair to a candidate for the position of commander-in-chief by the candidates spouse?

I have my sample ballot for Super Tuesday. I have know how I'm going to vote except for the Partisan Office of President of the United States and I have to admit if polled 2 times in an afternoon I would give two different answers.

Posted by: Pacifica | January 16, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Oy, I remember a free acoustic Cranberries concert that (W)HFS radio set up for the Sylvan Theater on the Mall back in the mid-90's. The crowd was huge (I dunno how big, I was in the middle of it), they got 'Linger' in and started another song, but the Park Service shut the show down then and there, and chaos ensued. My buddy Jay and I got our tushies out of there; I heard it got ugly, and some of the Cranberries' instruments were stolen IIRC.

Oy, *that* was a mess.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, TBG, are you watching this basketball game?

It's snowing in Atlanta, and Ga Tech is takin' it to #1 North Carolina, leading by 7 points with 13 minutes left. Something tells me that it's going to be closer before the game's over.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 16, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

We're under a winter storm watch. As usual, we're getting snow from Atlanta. I'll dig out the waterproof boots from the closet in the morning. Meantime, goodnight all, sleep well.

Posted by: Slyness | January 16, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Yes, I'm up, and it's not time to be up. I went to bed early, so tired, and now battling runny nose and coughing. This cold is miserable, and it's making me miserable.

For those of you that missed the radio program, I think I might get a chance to do it again. We're rotating the speakers,so an opportunity may present itself. Thanks again to those that listened, and the kind words.

After reading Joel's kit, can you folks see why it's dicey living in the South. And at some point I suspect we(African-Americans) might start to look like big game. A gun in every car, but when we carry one, it's off to jail. These folks seem to think they're entitled. They don't live in Africa, so why the guns?

And why don't you folks go ahead and hang OJ Simpson and stop with the legal mess? I'm not suggesting that should be the case, but even the blind, deaf, and stupid, know what's going on here. Pretense to something legal and above board cheapens the very system being used.

It's almost like the country has decided to take African-Americans to court, as many as they can, and for all sorts of crimes. It's looks like ganging up on people. I'm not saying these folks have not committed crimes, I'm just saying are they only ones committing crimes? I don't think so. It needs to look even, folks, and it ain't looking that way. People are having a hard time out here, and these are working folks. Many of them are losing their homes, and jobs are non-existent. Bad feelings might start expressing themselves in ways we don't want to see. Hey, I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but it don't look good.

Morning, Mudge, Slyness, Scotty, and all.*waving*

I'm going back to bed, and try to sleep. Have not look out yet. We're suppose to get nasty weather. I'm hoping for just rain. But it is not my decision.

I'm going to try and get in my dad's today, and check on him. I hope he opens the door and let me in. I might be risking life and limb, but he's my dad, and I have to see about him. My sister does not fool with him, period.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 17, 2008 2:37 AM | Report abuse

I need a little more coffee, obviously. Cassandra, where is the pretense in a judge expecting Mr. Simpson to follow clear instructions?

*still-moving-slowly Grover waves*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2008 5:12 AM | Report abuse

Up at 2:30 the snow was wafting down and turning pretty. Now the rain is following up, and I guess the snow will be mostly gone. But we are right on the edge of the freezeline, so who knows.

I have not heard many questions asked of the candidates regarding our space program, Joel. One is tempted to think, "In the still-unfolding aftermath of this insane war and our crumbling dollar, why space?" Because of the "hope thing," is why. As a regular Science Guy, Joel, why not combine tasks and try to get some face time with the candidates on this issue? If only for the value of parallax.

Posted by: Jumper | January 17, 2008 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Hijo de cañón! That's not rain I hear, it's melt dripping off the roof. It's still snowing, and snow everywhere.

And the newspaper is very, very late.

Posted by: Jumper | January 17, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Cassandra. Good morning Martooni. Good morning, all. When I try to reshuffle my thoughts to write something meaningful in the early morning, it is still a mess. Not enough sleep? Too much sleep?

Posted by: daiwanlan | January 17, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I was awakened by an infomercial on the TV that was inadvertantly left on last night. It was touting B-12 as a cure for poor unrestful sleep, among other things. I suspect it is infomercials that is a greater cause of unrestful sleep.

Posted by: Jumper | January 17, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

That's true, Scotty, but I was speaking on the whole, not the details. The path taken will get to the whole.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 17, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Slyness, we have a few sprinkles of snow here, but the rain is gobbling it up so by midday it will be a memory.

The g-girl is so excited because of the snow. We have a two-hour delay for the schools. I'm off to the laundry room, hope it's open.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 17, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Besides, I think Mr. Simpson is under the delusion that someone loves here, and perhaps his family does, but I suspect the rest of the country considers him one of the most hated people in the world. The idea seems to be taken from Scripture, that no matter where you go, I am there. Sort of like playing God. And when folks play God they usually leave the compassion and forgiveness part out. You think?

Ivansmom, hope you and the Boy are feeling much better today. I'm still battling the cold and all the discomforts of that life.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 17, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, Cassandra. :-)

Crazy Joel!!! All back full!!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: dbG | January 17, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

"you folks" sounds a lot like "you people," Cassandra.

Is that really what you mean to say?

bc

Posted by: bc | January 17, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

zOydWL Hi Rabzebuddy! Google.

Posted by: Kakerbuff | January 28, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse