At Joanne's Kitchen and Coffee Shoppe

joanne's kitchen.jpg

[Cross-posted to the Trail]

NASHUA 8:45 a.m.

Just ducked into Joanne's Kitchen and Coffee Shoppe, a landmark (read: older than the White Mountains) diner on Main Street. It's a converted trolley car, moved here, according to waitress Kathy Flis, from Massachusetts in 1927. Lots of laminated black and white photos and news clippings on the walls. Fifteen stools. Eight booths. Cheap food. A guy a few stools down just said, "Didn't die last night, because my name's not in the paper."

You know it's a good joint because the former mayor, Bernie Streeter (he left office just yesterday), is sitting in the back booth, talking politics. Streeter's a McCain guy.

"It really shifted about seven days ago," Streeter says. "The McCain people are really coming out of the woodwork. They realize the guy they supported eight years ago is in a horserace."

That would be with Mitt Romney, who'll be at the country club, talking to Rotarians, at noon. Rudy Giuliani's going to be right down the street at Jackie's Diner (much newer place) at 11 a.m.

And McCain just had a brief rally, hardly more than a photo op (cameras may have outnumbered citizens) a block away, on the steps of City Hall, where John F. Kennedy made his first campaign stop on Jan. 25, 1960. It seemed like half the news crews were from some exotic land. Spanish newspaper reporter Carlos Fresneda of El Mundo said that his country was "obsessed" with the Hillary Clinton candidacy and the possibility of the first woman president, but suddenly everyone's talking about Obama - "There's a lot of talk that Obama is the black JFK."

A familiar face in the Nashua crowd: Dave Tiffany, the anti-war protester who grilled McCain on Thursday night in Derry, showed up again and this time shook the candidate's hand, thanking him for "letting me fulfill my role in this election." Tiffany would never vote for McCain, but said, "He's a really nice man." He hopes McCain clocks Romney tomorrow.

Polls show a tight race. Romney did very well last night in the Republican debate/forum, according to the pundits gathered at the Wayfarer bar afterward. But my friend David Von Drehle of Time Magazine thinks it's remarkable how much trouble Romney has been having lately with Republican voters: "Filled up the dish, put it on the floor, and the dog just won't eat it."

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 7, 2008; 10:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barack Obama and Dave Barry
Next: Situation Fluid, Things Gettin' Slushy

Comments

foist?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 7, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Now I have a Disco Inferno tune cootie... "Burn baby burn"

RD,down here the only folks who use the term "nanny state" are steeped in Rush and Boortz each day. They're just spouting the party line. Sometimes I go over to Worldnet Daily to see what Pat Buchanan has to say. I rarely agree with him, but sometimes he'll surprise me. The editor of Worldnet, whose name eludes me, has endorsed Duncan Hunter, as has the lovely and talented Ann Coulter. It's been a pleasure to see just how much weight their endorsement carries.

Posted by: lilith in ga | January 7, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

And what are you foisting on us, shriek? More snow, I hope... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 7, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

We can't foist snow, we having a heat wave up here, 51F currently in my part of the frozen north - saw a webcam of Parliament Hill - Shriek looks like it is warming there as well?

Posted by: dmd | January 7, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Duncan Hunter? I had to Wiki him. Seems to me that Ann Coulter's endorsement would be the kiss of death.

Posted by: Slyness | January 7, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but I think there is an element of perversity in the electorate so far, as in "Clinton and Romney are the anointed ones. Let's give the big boys a thumb in the eye and vote for Obama and McCain." Almost restores my faith in our so-called democracy. Almost.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 7, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It's positively toasty, 6C/43F. I spent a couple of hours yesterday shoveling snow to make various drainage paths to the ditches. But luckily the heavy rain that was forecasted never materialized, so my brilliant flood evacuation system hasn't been put to the test yet. The snow is melting , we can't afford to foist any on you Scottynuke. That water-logged stuff is going to be hard like rock when the cold comes back.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 7, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Goodness, Boss, you certainly have been busy. I come back to the wired world after a few days off, and find myself overwhelmed. And there's this thing called "work" getting in my way.

I actually watched the Repub debate last night. The only one I could listen to without cringing is McCain. Thompson: comatose; Romney: slick and smug; Huckabee: too determined to not be slick and smug; Giuliani: trying to be amusing without an actual sense of humor.

Good luck with the testing, Cassandra. Congrats to The Boy. Scotty, you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on the snow thing. And sorry I missed the discussion on cat farts.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 7, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Raysmom. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 7, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Dave Barry makes a guest appearance, the boodle turns to cat farts. Coincidence? You be the judge.

Watching Romney makes me think that if he were elected they'd have trouble with his animatronic form at Disney's Hall of Presidents. "Nope, still looks too natural, can't you guys make him a little more plastic?"

Posted by: frostbitten | January 7, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

It's so warm and foggy here that I can't see my glass in front of my face.
dmd, I shook Pierre Trudeau's hand as he was entering the convention just before he won the Liberal nomination so I know what it is to be young and bitten by the politics bug.
American politic is a much better spectator sport than the Canadian variety. The process is so long and dragged out it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Not that there's anything wrong with, that except that a candiadate must raise so much money that it's hard not to be compromised. Oh yeah, it also makes everybody crazy (except Padouk) and deepens animostiy between factions.
All in all, it's more fun than dodging feces at the Monkey House.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 7, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"Joel's The Trail got another half page on A5 today... The only disappointment is that they went with an AP photo instead of one of Paris's shots."

Yes, but a friend of mine is IN that picture! I'll try to get her here to add her two cents to Manchester, NH's (maybe she IS Manchester, NH.. who knows?)

And Raysmom... there's always time to talk about cat farts here.

Posted by: TBG | January 7, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

SCC All in all, American politics is more fun than dodging feces at the monkey house.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 7, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Downtown Manchester was a zoo this morning. Sign wavers shouting their candidate's name on every corner, camera crews all over, Good Morning America broadcasting from its totally cool mobile studio.

Best water cooler story in the office: Hillary supporters from NY going door to door wearing NEW YORK YANKEES hats and sweatshirts. Doh! New Hampshire is in the heart of Red Sox Nation! Does she want us to vote for her or not??

Posted by: Manchester, NH | January 7, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Boko, Kady O'Malley at MacLeans has been live blogging from NH - pretty amusing observations.

Posted by: dmd | January 7, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I still think that the Dem nomination is Clinton's to lose, as long as her campaign stays focused on the positives. If she gets into a verbal flame war (just made myself giggle with that) with Obama, Edwards, or heck - anyone - I don't think it will help her cause. Seems to me that it would be best for her to remain as likeable as possible for as long as possible.

Feel compelled to add right here that the GOP must be feeling pretty good about the Dems getting tough with each other, as if it were going according to some grand Rovian scheme by which the GOP snatches the Presidential General Election in November after the Dems hack each other into little quivering chunks 'Worlds of Politicraft'-style. Fortunately for the Dems, the primaries and caucuses come so early in this cycle there may be adequate time to Frankencandidate everything back into a better-than-abby-normal ticket for the fall.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 7, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I concur that McCain is well-spoken and comes across as comfortable with himself and what he's doing. Which may not sell--Bush seems to have worked hard at being folksy/incoherent.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | January 7, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

DotC, for some reason Bush never came across as "folksy" to me--folksy wanne-be maybe. And hearing him talk has always made me cringe.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 7, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I think bc has pointed out one of the few potential advantages of this ridiculously long and early primary season. In previous primary cycles, we watched the parties viciously fight amongst themselves immediately before they asked us to vote for the victor, while all those bad things they said about him (always a him) were still fresh in our minds. Now the Democrats may have time to move past the electorate's notoriously short attention span.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 7, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"All in all, American politics is more fun than dodging feces at the monkey house."

Boko, I think it depends which side of the political equation you're on.

For the candidates, I suspect that they would say a large part of American politics *is* dodging feces at the monkey house.

(Hint: Don't ask who they refer to as "poo-flingers.")

bc

Posted by: bc | January 7, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

My burning question, unanswered in the Kit: how is the food at Joanne's Kitchen? Cheap, sure, as diner food should be. However, does it live up to our idealized belief that diner food is good food, like Mom would have made if she could cook, better than fast food? Every now and then a diner happily meets this standard, giving us all hope. Maybe the pace of campaign travel means one can't always try the daily special, but surely Joel is taking advantage of the opportunity to at least test the coffee and pie?

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 7, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Ah, pie. I hope it's not too early to encourage people to fire up their test kitchens for Pi Day.

Posted by: frostbitten | January 7, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

bc wrote: Feel compelled to add right here that the GOP must be feeling pretty good about the Dems getting tough with each other....

Ha! The GOP are in panic mode. Rove the genius? Just look at the state of our country, the dollar, the GOP in general, the reputations of the administration pricipals. Greater harm hath no man done.

Posted by: sister whisker | January 7, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I bet Joanne's has all the diner food favorites. A real cheeseburger(not the bacon triple melt deluxe burger),thick fries and a soda served out of a wide mouth glass. The regulars sit on the stools and sometime congregate around their favorite booth. The cook's name is Chuck and the waitress has been working there forever.

Yes, we had one in the town I grew up in.

Ok, now I am ready for lunch.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 7, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up dmd.
bc, I beleive you are correct sir.

I'm concerned that the issue of who's going to make the next appointments to the SCOTUS isn't getting the attention it deserves. If I was an American the prospect of Huckabee appointing Judge Roy Moore or someone of his ilk (what else?) would scare the pants off'n me.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 7, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

It seems that Joel's work ethic these days is inspiring the rest of us. This is some slow boodle. Which is a good thing because I've got lots of work to do.

Posted by: TBG | January 7, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Update from Elm Street: an airplane towing a Ron Paul banner is circling downtown Manchester. Crews are setting up for a McCain rally outside City Hall.

Perennial candidate Robert Haines, who can usually be found hanging around outside city hall, is nowhere in sight. Probably preparing for tomorrow's hearing - got arrested for disturbing the peace recently.

Many, many camera crews stalking locals on the streets of Manchester. One reporter complained that no one will talk to him, they don't seem to want to be on TV. (Welcome to NH!).

Food at Joanne's: ok. The Merrimack in Manchester is better.

Posted by: Manchester, NH | January 7, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

But I do have one more thing...

I've been thinking about the picture-cropping issue. Yeah, I know.. it's been beat to death.. so sue me...

As a professional graphic designer I agree that some of the pictures could have been cropped to frame a better photograph. But the girls are practicing photojournalism, not simply photography.

While the picture of the boy holding the Edwards sign does have a lot of empty space in it, that just might just be the story, no? If it had been cropped to show less of the room and more of the boy, a viewer might assume that Edwards supporters are cheek to jowl in the room.

But they aren't are they? And we know that because the photo was not cropped.

So from an artistic standpoint, it's not a great photo. But from a journalist's standpoint, I think it's a good photo that tells a good story.

Posted by: TBG | January 7, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Manchester... hope you stick around here after the TV cameras have left Manchester.

Posted by: TBG | January 7, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Good point, TBG!

Everyone see the NYT op-ed on certifying electronic ballots? I liked it.

I can't believe I have to work ALL week! No commute, lots of sleep, I was just starting to feel like myself again.

Posted by: dbG | January 7, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I have to work all week too. This whole 5 days a week thing is just hooey.

Posted by: dr | January 7, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I worked in diner places when I was much younger and you can absolutely judge the quality of the joint by the class of cheese burger they serve. Pie is a good second indicator, but the cheeseburger is king.

Posted by: dr | January 7, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I quit, I just wacked my thumb. Finishing nails indeed. Carry on.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 7, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I've backboodled a bit and discovered that Ivansdad and Raysdad share a birthday. Does that count for that Kevin-Bacon-number thing?

Posted by: Raysmom | January 7, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting concept for you.

Posted by: dr | January 7, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom, I'd be worried if I were you.

If those Dude-dads share the same birthday, how do you know they're *not the same dude-dad*?

[cue dramatic music]

Raysdad's not an airline pilot or something, is he?

Ok, ok, kidding...

bc

Posted by: bc | January 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Re; Dem caucuses--why does the analysis not address that fervent supporters voted in Iowa, and is not indicative of the general public?

Posted by: hillhi | January 7, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

dr-thanks for that link. Wondering how much would be painful enough, and who to rope into agreeing to take my money if I fail...

Posted by: frostbitten | January 7, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Joel, I know that you're all caught up with this business of reporting on the National Enterprise & all, but do you think you could find your way back to a little science news? Just once? For old times' sake? The MESSENGER spacecraft is making its flyby of Mercury on January 14, as I have just been reminded by a NASA press release. First flyby of Mercury since 1975, third flyby ever (Mariner 10 did two flybys). New terrain, never before seen by man or woman or little hop-toad.

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 7, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

LOL
frosti, I think getting someone to take your money is the easy part...

Posted by: lilith in ga | January 7, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

dr... I'm just reading the first part of that link and I just want to say that I really like Tyler Cowen. He writes about food and economics (how they tie together) a lot and has a very good local guide to ethnic restaurants.

OK.. I'll keep reading the article now.

Posted by: TBG | January 7, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Good point, TBG. Cropping is supposed to help improve/align the focal point of a picture.

In newsjournalism, you shouldn't crop so harshly as to remove stuff or change the story. You do want to be sure the viewer sees what you want to be seen.

As for your interpretion that the rally for Edwards wasn't very full, I'm skeptical. This was not captioned as to when it was taken. It could have been taken before the rally was to begin, or as the rally ended.

We have no way of knowing. Also, for Pat and other blind readers, I would change the ALT tag not to read the name of the file, but to describe the photograph (the above file reads "Joannes kitchen. JPG)

The picture of the sunset over the snow-covered ground with a brook trickling towards the viewer has the ALT label of "Amanda's pictures of campaign trail 08 010.jpg"

Pat was very helpful in explaining the ALT tag embedded in the photo HTML code when I asked him how I could caption my photos on my blog for blind readers.

He also mentioned the SRC tag, I think, which I have never used.

As a result, I caption all my blog photos as best as I can. You see the ALT tag by putting the mouse over the pictures, or by setting your browser to not load pictures and show ALT tags only.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, we got a 150-inch Plasma HDTV in the bunker now? What happened over the weekend, was Jack Abramoff out on weekend work-release and decided to stop by? The thing doesn't have Duke Cunningham's name on the warranty card, does it?

One of these days Joel's gonna run into my man Guy Fieri taping an installment of "Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins" up there on the Mom-and-Pop Diner beat. And I'd just love it if Alton Brown started covering the campaign the way he does Iron Chef America commentary.

Feel like I've been away from the Boodle for a month. Had a doctor's appointment this morning, just got into the office a while a ago, and am playing triple catch-up: catching up on Joel's kits and the Boodle's boodles; catching up on work e-mails (No space heaters allowed in the building please; a high-ranking Bush flunkie is leaving and don't let the door hitcha on the butt on the way out), and catching up on personal e-mails and my football column. I have actual work scheduled for the 4 p.m.-6 p.m. time slot. Maybe.

I am soooooooooooo far behind on commenting I think I'm gonna just let a lot fo stuff go. But let me just throw in randomly that Bill Kristol and Ann Coulter are complete idiots and maroons, just for the record. And George McGovern wants to impeach both Darth and Arbusto. Good luck with that one in an election year, George. (Not that he's wrong; he isn't.)

Darn, I see I've also got two chats (voting and Howie Kurtz) to catch up on, and I now see I've gotta read Ruben Castenda's piece on being both a crack addict and an alcoholic while he was a crime beat reporter...jeezey-peezy Louisey. I ran into him once or two back in those days covering the same events. Didn't like him much ... but never noticed anything much about him one way or the other.

Hey, Cassandra. How ya doin'? Hey, I finally found a doctor who thinks he can cure my incurable leg problem. I go back Wednesday morning for a follow-up.

It is 66 degrees here in Warshington at the moment. Un freaking believable.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, will you be coming home with a peg leg? If so, you do realize you'll have to also carry a cutlass to beat off the pirate lasses with?

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin | January 7, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Mudge won't need a cutlass, not with that razor-sharp wit.

Posted by: byoolin | January 7, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

That's the normal January warm-up in DC-- happens every other year if not more often... 1-2 days of weather that warms up to anywhere between 60 or as high as 81 F to make people moan and wail for spring.

I easily remember a 85 degree day, around January 2 or 4 one year? everybody was outside walking, rollerblading, etc. It was very humid and it quickly thunderstormed the next day, plunging DC back into an kind of eternal New England spring. Wasn't the only 80+ degree day in January I could recall, either.

Mark Twain once wrote that Washington DC represents all the climates of the United States-- often in a single day. Hope you brought a coat, an umbrella, and a dog sled just in case.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

No joke, Wilbrod: for a year or two I've been telling doctors and therapists that I'd just as soon the amputate the damn thing, because I'd be happy to have a nicely carved teak pegleg (with buck nekkid mermaids carved onto it), and I tell them I've always wanted to be a pirate, with a peg leg, eye patch and parrot on my shoulder. Thing is, I'm only half joking. Some of them laugh, and brush it off, and some look at me and say, "Oh, don't say that!" The nurse this morning said, "Don't say that! Some of these doctors would seriously consider it[amputation]."

Thing is, there's lots of days when the peg leg would be preferable.

And I've started playing a new game with the medical profession. You know how you always have to fill out those medical history things? I'm convince no one actually reads them. On the last four or five I've checked off the box that says "depression." And not one doctor or therapist has noticed. I'm going to start putting down "Ebola" and see what happens. My guess is nothing.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod we are having our annual Jan. thaw as well, but what I found interesting was the change in frequency for our annual thaw versus a major thaw - such as we are experiencing now - currently 58F here.

Posted by: dmd | January 7, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone posted today's brand new Bill(y) Kristol's NYT column? If not, here it is.

And following that, here is James Fallows' comments on it.

If you have time read Jim Sleeper on CPM Cafe.

What fun!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | January 7, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and now they want me to lie on the floor three times a day for half an hour each, with my leg up on a chair. Yeah, sure.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"If a 150-inch tv can't make "According To Jim" watchable, then Technology has failed us all."

byoolin, I think you have confused technology with divine intervention.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 7, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

In addition to to being wrong on every issue he has addressed, Lil Billy Kristol was Alan Keye's campaign manager and Dan Quayle's chief of staff. What the heck else do you need to know?

Posted by: Boko999 | January 7, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt already plugged his blog post on Kristol, but I'll do it again:
Very good analysis - right down to the tags.

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 7, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Follow my logic here. With a 150-inch HDTV, we could munt it right outside the bunker. Then with a little Bobcat grader, we could create a series of low berms running parallel to it, and create our own little drive-in theater. We could use the bunker itself as the refreshment stand, since it has a fully functional professional grade kitchen (hey, you don't think we survive on K-rations and MREs down there, do ya?), rest rooms, etc. With wireless technology, we could beam the audio directly into car radios, so people wouldn't need those speakers that ripped out all the time. Those so inclined could park along the very back row, and make out in the back seat.

Whaddaya you guys think? Double creature feature night? Ten-dollar-a-carload night? A Charlie Chan/Werner Oland retrospective? A Midnight Rocky Horror/Do the Time Warp night? We could also put a big plexiglass shield in front of it and encourage customers to throw rotten tomatoes at, say, Britney Spears, or "According to Jim," or Home Shopping Network, and any time Billy May comes up on the screen.

One rule: I get the remote. (After all, I AM the shop steward, ya know.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

A good story on ADA and disabled issues.

The Bush administration has been notoriously anti-disabled.
McCain helped co-author the ADA which has its flaws; Senator Biden also worked on that bill.

I have no idea how Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama stand on the ADA.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The he11 with how they stand on ADA. How do they stand on the critical issue of the disappearance of drive-in movies? Huh? Huh? What about that one, huh?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, the medical establishment was never impressed by any of my descriptions of the pain (oh, mama) associated with my herniated lumbar disk in 2004. We just trudged down the "test and evaluate" road- MRI, X-ray, EMG, etc.- until they discovered that I had lost the patellar reflex in one leg (this is the rubber hammer knee jerk thingy). Since I am known to be a knee jerk liberal, this was judged life threatening! Seriously, the loss of nerve function lit a fire under everybody and suddenly we went from "We'll have to consider surgery at some point" to "You're scheduled for day after tomorrow." I suggest you claim loss of some function that they can't easily test for. Use your imagination or consult with Weingarten for suggestions.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 7, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

And what about the issue of drive-in movie refreshment stand cuisine: egg rolls, yes or no?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Mudge, if we can have a monster movie festival with all the old Godzillas, Mothra, and the gang.

What is "According to Jim"? No, don't tell me. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Wilbrod, I know what you meant, but the phrase "The Bush administration has been notoriously anti-disabled" appears to fly in the face of the facts -- the Bushies, suffering from administrative disability, have notoriously done their best to disable the entire goverment, if not the basic structures of democracy. Of course, they apparently don't much care for disabled people either.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 7, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

There are many who would conclude (with evidence) that I've lost my mind, K-guy.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Mudge, I was seriously getting worried about you. I'm glad you showed up, and both comments are so you.

The doctor's office called this afternoon, and said everything looked okay, but I might have to go back on one of the medications. It's hard for those folks not to give pills.

Mr. Achenbach, you are rolling them out. I can't keep up.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 7, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, are you old enough to remember, at the drive-in movie snack bar and on the screen during intermission ---

"Chocolate malt
In a can,
it's a T-O-D-D-Y Tod-dy!"

Posted by: nellie | January 7, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Cassandra; I'm getting RKF myself (rapid kit fatigue).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Come to NH! We have a drive-in theatre! It opens after mud season.

Posted by: Manchester, NH | January 7, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Curmudgeon, take two aspirin, go to Bengie's Drive-In in Bawlmer, and call me in the morning.

My personal favorite drive-in scenes are in "Targets" when a mad sniper climbs up behind the screen and begins shooting people in their cars and when the tornado hits the drive-in in "Twister."

P.S. It's Warner Oland, not Werner.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

www.milforddrivein.com

Posted by: Manchester, NH | January 7, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I have to brag... I have been officially declared COOLEST MOM EVER.

I just called Ticketmaster and scored the LAST TWO REMAINING tickets for HANNAH MONTANA's sold-out show tonight! Also featuring the darling Jonas Brothers!

I have heard that you can call a couple of hours before the show to see if they have released any tickets they may have held for one reason or another.

SCORE! It's apparently true. We called last night... no such luck. But the nice woman told my daughter to "try back later," which gave her some hope.

So I called at about 4:00 this afternoon and this nice woman came up with two seats. When the transaction was over, she said, "I just tried and I can't get any more seats to come up."

If you've ever wondered what an over-the-moon-excited 14-year-old girl looks like, drop by my house right now! She's called her friend and I've talked with the mom and it's all arranged... they see the show and Mr. G and I enjoy a nice dinner downtown!

Woo hoo!

We're all winners!

Posted by: TBG | January 7, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You may be mom of the century TBG - WOW!

Posted by: dmd | January 7, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh, indeed, nellie. And I always hated those darn countdown screens: "Nine minutes to show time."

And then about six minutes later it would be "Eight minutes to showtime."

First, there would be a quickie advertisement for the snack bar, featuring a singing dancing hotdog or something, and then a panoramic tracking shot of some mythical Hollywood version of a snack bar about 200 feet long, heaped with great looking food all laid out, and a dozen varieties of everything...and when you got to your own real snack bar, it was jammed with people, the lines for the restrooms were out into the driveway, they were sold out of Welch's Mints but they still had loads of Raisinettes, and the butter they were putting on the popcorn was 10W-40 weight, the kind that won't freeze above the Arctic Circle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Warner, Got it. And I knew that, too. Damn.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Yellowjkt,
I just read your last two posts in your blog, and I suggest that you replace that awful Kristol. You're that good.

Posted by: Rick O'Shea | January 7, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Targets", although a pretty crappy film, is a good Hollywood story. Roger Corman "King of the B-Movies" was known as a filmmaker who never wasted anything. In 1968 he combined leftover footage from an earlier film, "The Terror" with Jack Nicholson and Boris Karloff with a promising young writer who wanted to direct, Peter Bogdanovitch, and 20 minutes of screen time that Karloff was still under contract to provide. The result was "Targets." It was Bogdanovitch's first film and Karloff's last. "The Terror" is playing at the drive-in during the climax and Bogdanovitch switches back and forth to the film within film, by this means (and others) stretching to feature length.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 7, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm admiring you, TBG, and I don't even know who Hannah Montana is! Scoring any tickets from TicketMaster is impressive in and of itself, let alone the last two that make a 14-year-old poppet ecstatic.

Posted by: Yoki | January 7, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, TBG, that is amazing - timing is everything. I too have heard that is possible, but so far have never tried it. Have fun, take your earplugs (for the screaming tween girls), maybe some knitting or tatting or something. Never mind, you have your iPhone.

The sun is shining and it's also raining or snowing or something here.

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 7, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

McGovern's call for impeachment has 2774 comments. Surely that's a record.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | January 7, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, TBG, and on a school night! I'm so impressed. Where will you and Mr. G dine?

Yoki, Hannah Montana is the heroine of a television show that's hot right now. Something about a mousy girl who has an alter life as a pop star.

Posted by: Slyness | January 7, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, TBG, even better - you don't have to go to the show yourself! You are the coolest person on the planet!

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 7, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I bow to your eagle-eyed legal editing, Ivansmom. I should have clarified further to avoid ambiguity.

If I had the energy, I'd also add a 100 page appendix dissecting every vote and veto as well.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

That is an amazing score, TBG. You are the MOM! My boss's ex had skybox tickets for their daughter until the company president took them back so he could take his grand-daughters instead.

Thanks for the relink, ml. Trashing Kristol is the blogosphere activity of the day. It turns out that a quote he attributed to Michelle Malkin (and why is she getting quoted in the Times?) was really said by Michael Medved. It's a simple mistake. They all look alike.

I'm just glad he isn't stinking up my ever-slimming Time Magazine anymore.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 7, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

still no dsl
poppet is a gd word!
Tbgrulz
missed mudge
hot out,really

stling wireless sig; cassandra, pray for my theivin' soul

Posted by: cp | January 7, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

By the way, what would be your legal thoughts on any law allowing government employees to enter private property and, if need, consficate property without a warrant, merely their discretion that an ordinance has been broken?

Add to that the lack of legal redress for the property owner to get the property back, in effect tried as guilty on the spot without due judical or civil process?

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

cp, I must say, I love your wireless-stealing persona! It cracks me up every time - very distinctive, really. At least here on the Boodle. Your last post almost looks like haiku-for-wireless-and-tiny-keyboard.

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's a company doing good things for the deaf community:

I never realized this was a problem needing a solution along the lines of the Braille edition of Playboy.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 7, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I know; I caught "poppet," too, CP. Very nice. And I could hear Dame Edna saying it in my head.

(That Dame Edna sometimes lives in my head can be pretty scary. Perhaps that's the missing medical diagnosis I need.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

By the way, no I wasn't being sacrastic, Ivansmom. That was a good catch; I'm out of it today.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the kind words, Rick. If only there were someplace I could continually post links in hopes that other people than my SAO-15 would read it.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 7, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of stealing, this is funny:
Love the line about Joe Biden (poor Joe).

"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief"

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 7, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Somebody made Hillary go all verklempt. http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/07/an_emotional_clinton_reflects.html?hpid=topnews

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

And I predict that Bill Kristol will prove to be The Grey Lady's Ben Domenech. At least I can hope.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 7, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Cool story here for you Virginians. I picked it up from The Times:

The Times, BTW, is saying that Obama is leading Clinton.

Posted by: Slyness | January 7, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom,
I concur with the McCain passing the no-cringe test. With Bush, I think it was James Fallows at the Atlantic who looked into his verbal deterioration after taking office. I expected him to decline to run for re-election because of the verbal disability he'd developed while president, but it was not to be.

And to think I never heard of Hannah Montana until a few weeks ago.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | January 7, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

When I was young we used to go to the drive-in in our jammies.

Kinda freaked out some of my dates, though.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 7, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

*rimshot for Padouk*

Hobbling for the bus.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 7, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Ack Mudge, I made the mistake of reading the comments to that link. When WILL I learn not to let my eyes wander south?
I think I'll survive the damage done by all the vitrol thrown in my eyes.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 7, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse