Back on the Floor at the Radisson

[6:45 a.m. bulletin: I tried to update this at midnight but my aircard betrayed me and I just didn't have the energy to argue with the technology. But the gist of what I was going to say was this: We reporter-types did a bang up job of burying Clinton and trumpeting the arrival of President Obama. Remember one thing: In politics, no one knows anything. And the voters get to decide.] [I am heading to the airport, heading home...gubbye, New Hampshire. Fun while it lasted.]

[Just had dinner at the bar with Dave B. and Mickey Kaus and Daily Show writer Kevin Bleyer and some fun pollster folks, then we ducked out to catch the Giuliani concession speech next door. Now filing from carpeted floor in front of lobby TV. "Aren't we above this?" Dave asked before accepting the reality of the situation and taking up a spot on the floor against the wall. I am now envying him for having the wall to lean against, and a socket to plug into. Why is his life always so much better???]

[With 25 percent of the vote in, Clinton is winning. That confounds expectations. How much might this be due to Clinton getting emotional yesterday? A number of women voters told me that thought it made her more appealing. That's not a scientific sample, but listen again to what Carol Cohen of Bow, who had been solid for Edwards, told me today:

"Watching her let her strong façade crack last night on the news, and actually show how personally committed she is, was a turning point for me. When I got in the booth I spent a long time thinking about it, and I went for Hillary."

[The following posted to the Trail]

MANCHESTER, NH, 6 p.m.

Moths to a flame, countless journalists and political groupies have converged on the lobby of the Radisson Hotel, killing time in the news lull and trolling for exit poll results. I've found a prime, VIP blogging station on some carpeted steps just around the corner from the front desk. Dave Barry was sitting on the floor, but he just left to give an interview and assigned me to watch his laptop. It's like the old days at The Herald! Maybe he'd like me to fetch him a sandwich, or file his expense report.

Jonathan Alter was just here, too, and a couple of people asked for his autograph. Seen him on TV. Jon and I argued strenuously that Dave is the much bigger deal, but the autograph hounds would have none of it. They wanted Alter and they wanted him bad. One guy said that when Alter goes on TV he seems so "fresh." We explained the miracle of modern TV makeup.

A little girl posed for a picture with Alter, snapped by her father.

Alter left for some important task. The little girl then returned and asked a question that I will share with Jon upon his return:

"Just to double check, what was the name of the man sitting here?"

MANCHESTER, NH, 8:30 p.m.

Rudy Giuliani, getting out of town quick after his phoned-in New Hampshire bid left his fighting Ron Paul for fourth place, just had his "rally" with maybe a hundred of so supporters in the Radisson Hotel. Ten middle-aged white men stood behind the former New York mayor as he vowed to be the nominee of the party. He said he's heading straight to Florida and will announce some dramatic new proposals.

"This race is a wide-open race!" he said. He noted that he's been tested by crises in the past.

Then he came up with a novel spin on his weak finish.

"Maybe we've lulled our opponents into a false sense of confidence now."

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 8, 2008; 8:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Undecideds Decide
Next: Idiot Pundits and Pollsters Strike Again

Comments

I hate close elections. Really. They totally ruin my sleep.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 8, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Me too, RD!

Posted by: Kim | January 8, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Roodee must be clueless. If he can't win in NH, where can he win? Jeez.

Posted by: Slyness | January 8, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Joel, here I was under the misunderstanding that you were coming back to home and hearth today. And now we learn you are still up in that wild state of New Hampshire hanging out with a questionable crowd. Okay. That's fine. You're a responsible adult.

But if Ralph Steadman shows up, we're coming to get you.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 8, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, the important news of the day was Gibbs is out. Looks like Mudge has more influence than some might give him credit for. Futbol uber alles!* **

*There it is--absolute proof I'm linguistically multicultural.

**Is Michael Vick still running for preznit? He's got my vote! Rudy merely talks the talk; Michael's the Real Thing!

Posted by: MedallionOfFerret | January 8, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

"K-guy, most of us here have never even SEEN most (or in my case, any) of those films. And I suspect you just plain miss the point of "Casablanca." I bow always to your superior and wide-ranging knowledge of movies, K-guy--but you don't live in the same movie world as the rest of us. It's Casablanca, dude. You've got to come to terms with it.

"Double Suicide." C'mon, K. Ingrid Bergman wasn't even in it. Case closed."

Curmudgeon wrote this much earlier today but I only just read it. I think this is perhaps the silliest thing he has ever written here. It reminds me forcibly of the young people I know who refuse to watch any film shot in black and white, or those who say that Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings is the greatest book and "300" or "Fight Club" is the greatest movie ever made. Seek out "For Whom the Bell Tolls" if you insist on Ingrid Bergman. Watch it and give me an informed opinion. Don't tell me I miss the point of "Casablanca" because I don't agree that it's the greatest film ever made. Tell me it's the best film you've ever seen. That I cannot argue with. We return you now to the regularly scheduled political angst.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 8, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

9iu11ani is counting on the senile citizens of Florida to vote for that nice New Yorker. I think he is misestimating the electorate down there. We hated New Yorkers. We called happiness seeing a New Yorker heading north. With a Canadian under each arm.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 8, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Roodee is counting on NY and FL - big states, lotsa delegates.

If it's close it will be more interesting, I guess. For maybe a few days more, anyway. Oregon doesn't vote till May - and my great state is well after Super Tuesday. I hope Edwards stays in as long as possible, although I doubt he'd take the VP spot again.

kbertocci, there have been times when I thought I could vote for McCain. But his support of Bush in 2004 and for the war in Iraq has pretty well quashed that. Squashed it, even. And his age would concern me.

I suppose I should read Steinem's piece. It would probably be tougher for a woman, but I don't think it's been easy for Obama - he's got phenomenal talent. I remember Shirley Chisholm's campaign - saw a documentary about her a few years ago, too, which talked about how the Democratic party didn't take her seriously. And Geraldine Ferraro - she was a tough cookie, and broke new ground. I'd be much more excited about a woman running for president if it wasn't Hillary - for various reasons, which I'll spare you.

Posted by: mostlylurking | January 8, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

My son lives in Florida, and I understood from him that the entire population was transplanted New Yorkers. I think that is what Rudy is counting on.

Posted by: nellie | January 8, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I've so enjoyed all of Joel's reports from New Hampshire. And the pictures.

Posted by: nellie | January 8, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

You and me both, mostly...about being more excited if it was another woman besides Hillary Clinton. I've been intermittently watching some commentary and they are saying that she is getting a large percentage of women's votes and speculating that her emotional episode may be resonating with women in NH. I'm sorry, but that makes me want to regurgitate my dinner. Can that possibly be true?

Posted by: Kim | January 8, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm laughing, K-guy. Boy, I really got your dander up, and without intentionally trying. Really, I don't mind in the slightest that you would dispute "Casablanca." (In part, I was just doing the "infallible Weingarten" schtick, anyway." I thought maybe you'd go for "Citizen Kane," or maybe "Roshamon," or "Seven Samurai." But no-- you're such a film snob (and I mean that affectionately, but you really are a film snob), that you went for not one, not two, not three, but FOUR totally obscure Japanese films. And now you want to equate my failure to possess encyclopedic knowledge of international film with me being a Gen-Xer. Because you realize, don't you, that virtually every other Boodler here is in the same boat with me.

OK, in other matters, it appears the race in NH is tightening, with Obama creeping up on Herself. This could get to be pretty hairy long about midnight if this keeps up. And I have to get to bed early to leave the house at 5 a.m. tomorrow to go to a *&#^%$#@&%$ doctor's appointment at Shady Grove. Perhaps I shall lull myself to sleep by humming the popular and widely known "Love Theme" from "Ugetsu." Or maybe that was from "Harikiri." One of them. C'mon, you all know it. La la-lal lal-lal la, da da-dum-de da da doo...

Hey, Jeez, the GOP race is tightening up, too. McCain's 10-point lead is now down to 6 points, and Rooooodeeee jumped from 4 percent to 9 percent. And Hillary is hanging on to her 3-point lead with 50 percent of the precincts in. The lesson, boys and girls, is that the outlying boonies usually vote different from the close-in territories, and one should never draw too many conclusions from the early results. This could get really interesting.

And now to bed.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 8, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

CBC interviewed an Edwards supporter who said she changed her vote to Hillary after the Senator's verklemp moment. Another lady said she went eenie meenie minie moe.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 8, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Sticking my nose in that movie controversy. "For Whom the Bell Tolls"? Good god. Gary Cooper is the ultimate antidote for insomnia ever poured into the body of an actor.

Posted by: bill everything | January 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Watched a little of Romneys speech, and noticed the people who stood behind/beside him. Was that his family - they sort of looked like the stepford family to me - creeped me out.

Posted by: dmd | January 8, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Bill Everything, Gary Cooper inspired Morgan Freeman to act, for which blessing the Many Cinematic Sins of Frank James Cooper must be forgiven.

It wasn't his fault he was the last of the Montanans.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 8, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

As GW would say, noted.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 8, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

You know, it probably wasn't Hillary's verklemptness that moved people. It was what she said. We are so hardened to believe that anyone running for president just wants it for power and influence.

To hear someone sound genuine when they say they want to make things better was almost refreshing. She wasn't pounding out a canned message. She sounded like it came from the heart.

It certainly moved me.

Posted by: TBG | January 8, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Serious SCC:

Sorry, Wilbrod. Very rusty. That last was me, obviously.

Posted by: bill everything | January 8, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Okay... this may be of interest to Jack and other dog breeders out there.

Shelters originally objected to this bill because they couldn't afford genetic testing and they were granted an exemption. I am not sure if rescues would be exempt either.

The last time we legislated genetics was in the early 20th century-- on humans.

It's just disturbing to see this proposed by people who don't know jack*** about genetics or biology.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 8, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Casablanca?
Nah.
Die Hard.

Posted by: CC | January 8, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

kguy, all is not lost.

My kids think "The Wizard of Oz" may be the best movie ever made. And, well, part of it's in black and white, anyway.

I made them watch "Citizen Kane" (my own personal favorite movie), and they thought it was good, but no "Life Size" (with Tyra Banks and Lindsay Lohan.).

As the primary results roll in with over 70% reporting, I'm not surprised that Clinton and Obama are neck and neck with Ms. Clinton just ahead. She needs to stay cool. Sta-a-a-a-a-y cool.

Having said that, one has to wonder what the Gravel, Kucinich, and Thompson campaigns must think of the NH results.

On another note, someone asked where Rudy can win? I think he'll be strong in NY and Florida.

Oh, I see that CNN is projecting Clinton as the Dem winner in NH. Good, I like a close race.

G'night, all.

bc

Posted by: bc | January 8, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Whew, no way I can catch up with all this Kit'n 'boodling. However, I would like to think that part of becoming an adult is having "the" movie change your view of what movies ought to do for you emotionally, artistically or intellectually. For me that was Dustin Hoffman's "Little Big Man." Not the greatest movie ever, or even his best probably, but about halfway through I knew I'd never be satisfied with the matinee down at the old Village Theater again (no matter how much I loved Hercules or Godzilla).

Obama is one great speaker, and boy do his supporters look lively. I think Hillary is going to be the next Teddy Kennedy. There's nothing wrong with a long career in the senate getting things done, "making change" as it were. Though I'm sure it takes a while for the sting of failing at the presidential race to subside.

Posted by: frostbitten | January 8, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Yep, it looks like it's going to be a humdinger of a race, that's for sure!

I never doubted that Hillary Clinton's emotional moment was genuine, I can't even imagine the beating these candidates take! I just don't think it's a very good reason to vote for her. But, thank goodness, we live in America where we can agree to disagree about what moves us to vote for a particular candidate! All I know is that I'm happy that crazy person Roodeee seems to be slipping into oblivion...I hope I'm not wrong about that....he scares me, big time!

Posted by: Kim | January 8, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Time to hit the hay, but I leave you folks with this nonpolitical link to an interesting article about intellectual property rights for regular folk...

The last couple of paragraphs are espeially great. But this line is a little baffling... "What's noteworthy in each of these cases, [Creative Commons founder Lawrence] Lessig says, 'is that bloggers, a community typically associated with piracy, are rallying in support of copyright.'"

Arrr, mateys! G'night to ye!

Posted by: TBG | January 8, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

When McCain wins NH, that's a good thing.

However I'm appalled they're "calling it" with 26% of precincts to report. Unless those prenicts are less than 10,000 votes total, I don't think its quite over yet.

Obama just gained 2,000 votes in the last few minutes with another 2% reported (Hillary got around 200 votes).

Either way it's close enough they will probably get the same number of delegates each.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 8, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

That's what I think, Frosti...she's a fine Senator and I find myself in agreement with almost all of her positions. I just think the country needs different leadership at the top.

I finally got to see 'Charlie Wilson's War' and very much enjoyed it, although the end...ooops, better not say it...don't want to wreck it for someone else.

I also saw 'Juno' and loved it. I took my 14 year old daughter and there were a few moments of deep parental discomfort, but on the whole it was a good movie to take your teenage daughter to see, I think.

Posted by: Kim | January 8, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, Wilbrod. The Wisconsin bill takes a different tack toward the same ends as a bill that was recently tabled in California. The latter bill would have, among other things, required breeders to register and be licensed by the State and placed strict regulations on what kinds of dogs could be bred. IIRC, the restrictions would have allowed only breeding of guide dogs and companion dogs specifically trained to aid the physically impaired. I think that the bill would have been so restrictive as to put an end to breeding purebred dogs as companions or for show. The AKC, among others, lobbied pretty heavily on behalf of the breeders and the bill didn't come to a vote. I'm all for something to bring an end to puppy mills and the creation of silly designer hybrids targeted to a specific market. These folks generally don't perform health tests, nor keep good pedigree records and tend to perpetuate disease as a result. I ran into a lot of puppy mills when searching for our Danes and after doing proper research, paired up with a breeder that provided the necessary information to ensure we were paired up with healthy dogs. Hopefully, the Wisconsin bill will be modified in an effort to target puppy mills, or die as the California bill.

Posted by: jack | January 8, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

A Man for All Seasons (that would be Bibendum, right)?

Posted by: Tim | January 8, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Kim thanks for the tips about Juno, my 12 year old wants to see it.

Frosti I agree, I remember seeing Little Big Man when I was 7, and remember it to this day - somehow I think that made an impact on me.

I am off to bed as well, wish we had a Canadian politician with the ability to speak as well as Obama.

Posted by: dmd | January 8, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

With 78-80% of precincts reporting by 11:12 PM, it's Hillary Clinton at 39%, John McCain at 37%. This state is done. Please pack your bags, return all balsam fir to the upright and locked position, leave your snowshoes in the rack by the front door, and get the heck out.

The Maryland primary is Feb 12. I need to file an absentee ballot -- I'm going to be in Hawaii again, gosh darn it.

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 8, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

dmd, I don't want you to underestimate the deep parental discomfort. My daughter is 14 and it just barely passed the risk/benefit ratio for me. There are definitely a few moments when I felt that to appreciate the complexity of the subject--older was better. But, it's one of those things that need to be evaluated based on your family...what they are ready for, what you are ready for...etc.

Posted by: Kim | January 8, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Jack, I agree that puppy mill breeders need to have oversight, but what IS a puppy mill? Some people have the attitude that if you dare sell a pup, you're in it for profit and hence are a puppy mill.

I spoke to a friend who was breeding Great Danes in Maine until neighbors moved in, complained, and basically zoned her to the point she had to give away her last few pups, she couldn't sell them because that'd be "running a business in a residental area." It was never about how well kept the dogs were, the neighbors just were scared of Great Danes.

At a certain point, you have to ask, is it appropriate to put people out of business by changing zoning laws on them without cause? (This strategy is still practiced today).

The California bill was disturbing in that any dog not presently a working dog would have had to be S&N by age 4 months. That's not compatible with the proper development of bone health in dogs.

Most service dog organizations fought the California bill because the exemptions were ridiculous and did not allow for keeping breeding stock.

I know somebody on the opposite viewpoint... and she later sent me an article about how people were being fleeced buying dogs over the internet. I pointed out if all breeders were driven out of city and towns, people WOULD be ripped off at higher rates because who wants to drive 150 or 200 miles to look at puppies over a few weekends to buy a pet from a breeder?
You might as well go to a pet shop (the work of the devil according to everybody, because they get their puppies from puppy mills.).

Massachusetts already imports most of its adoptable shelter dogs out of state. There are dogs flown in from overseas to be "adopted".

It is estimated that only 1-3% of the dog population is actually homeless at any point in time. There are a lot of dogs, but a lot of homes too.

7.4% of Americans have been homeless at one point in their lives. Many people have to give up their dogs and pets because they go homeless, and homeless shelters do not allow pets.

Fix the homeless person problem first, make dog-friendly housing more obtainable, and there would be far fewer homeless pets.

Tax breaks for spaying and neutering pets would also be helpful, without mandating spay and neuter, which is unenforceable, will lead to endless "guilty until proven innocent" attitudes to unaltered male service or show dogs. Female dogs cannot be proven spayed until the spay scars are found, and sometimes not even so.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 8, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, frosti. LBM is one of my favourite movies and should be seen by all at an age where they can get the message. I first saw it when I was a junior in HS, about the same time I read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee". That particular selection drove home the point that the development of the west wasn't done in a manner that instills pride.

Posted by: jack | January 8, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

well, mudge, your crapola theory turned out to be pretty right on tonight.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | January 9, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Note, despite the New Hampshire upsets, the Iowa winners are still leading in delegate number, although that doesn't factor in the uncommited delgates.

Next: South Carolina, right, where Edwards should win.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 9, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Important Newsflash
Feds to Mull Protection for Pygmy Rabbit

Posted by: Boko999 | January 9, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt, you just made the list of first against the snowbank after the revolution for that one. ;-)

bill everything, you beat me to it. Gary Cooper? Come on. Robert Jordan in FWTBT was an absolutely fascinating character. Cooper, a big stud. As in, wooden and lifeless.

Posted by: SonofCarl | January 9, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Love those snow pictures by the ladies.

When dbG said she was more interested in 02/05/08, I was wondering what's in 2 May 08. The posts that followed told me I forgot to flip the day/mth. When the days exceed 12, it acts as the prompter. When it doesn't, I have to stop and think.

I like Obama's voice - very presidential. As president, I think he'll do fine on the domestic front. On the international front, he doesn't have enough experience. Having a Kenyan father and being to Kenya a couple of times and lived in Indonesia a couple of years don't really count. In normal times when the reputation of the US is intact and the respect is there, a president without international experience will still do all right. But these are not normal times. The next president will need to do damage control and repair work. There are too many situations in the international arena where everybody wants to win and nobody wants to compromise and the US is asked to step in to resolve the conflict. At times like this, it's important the president has the experience and skills of his/her own. Having said all that, I think Hillary will do well in both fronts.

Posted by: rainforest | January 9, 2008 3:55 AM | Report abuse

So much for the science of polling. There's going to be a lot of head scratching explaining Clinton's victory in NH.

Posted by: miamibob | January 9, 2008 4:27 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. I'm up, and alone. There's just me here, and it is great. I can just drag around in any old thing. And maybe not. I know, not a picture one wants to see this early or any hour for that matter.

Morning, Mudge, Slyness, Scotty, and all *waving*.

Well, I see Hillary Clinton finally got a victory, and every one, mostly every one, is attributing that to her showing her humanity. I do believe I used the word "human" at some point. We would all like for our candidates to be human, right?

I asked my dad about Rudy, and he said the firemen in New York hate Rudy. I said, so if Rudy was on fire, they wouldn't put him out. My dad said they would probably pour gas on him instead of water. I don't know, my dad hasn't been to New York, so I'm wondering how does he know this.

I really wish I could hear Obama. I've heard so many say he speaks so well. I think it just wonderful that he has that eloquence, it seems to be lost on this administration.

Today is the busy day. The Bible studies and the Center. Got to rustle up some refreshments for the group. I hope they come. It is so warm here, it's frightening. One is hot with a sweater on.

Yesterday, I went to visit my high school principal. Yes, he's still living, and talking, although, before ending the visit he was nodding on me. He worked in education a long time. One time during high school a girl wanted to fight me, and she followed me part of the way home. A huge crowd of young people gathered around. This man came up and made up go home. The next day he called us "buffoons" in an assembly at school. I had to look the word up. Needless to say, I was angry. I was acting in defense. I would never start a fight, not that brave. The girl that wanted to fight me was a bully. She had picked on me unmercifully. I came prepared. I had the largest kitchen knife in my mother's house. She would have never seen it coming. I'm so glad I didn't get a chance to use it.

Got to go. Time to jump in the shower, and get started with the day. Have a good one, folks. What's next? Which state?

There are so many kits, I can't keep up, but it's all good, JA.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 9, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

chicklits for a keyboard
hot coffee, tho
mornin' c'andra
Martooni?
I'm not CC

Posted by: cp | January 9, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all.

CP, when does DSL arrive?

Cassandra, peace and quiet are wonderful things, aren't they?

Your dad is right about the NY firefighters disliking Guiliani. Lotsa history there, but from what I've heard, Roodee favored the cops and didn't give the firemen the time of day.

Posted by: Slyness | January 9, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

*reposting from last Kit*

I'm not fully BackBoodled, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone...

A look at the raw numbers from NH is VERY interesting...

Overall turnout of about 512,000 -- AMAZING, considering the state's 2006 census estimate was a touch over 1.3 million!! OK, time for the rest of the country to match that! :-)

And the top three Democratic candidates got 261,236 votes, as opposed to all GOP candidates getting 233,380! Heck, Clinton and Obama almost topped the whole GOP field.

I'm very proud of my home state this morning.

*Happy-Hump-Day Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 9, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Ah Joel, don't be too hard on yourself. Predicting what is going to happen anytime you involve people has massive error bars. Everybody knows that. You used all the right words.

Besides, what made this NH series enjoyable was the coverage of the events as an end in themselves regardless of who won. There are times when I really felt the oddly co-mingled spirits of White and Thompson coming through. It was a fun ride, and I look forward to others in the weeks ahead.

But for now get some rest.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 9, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

You know how sometimes you don't realize how much pain you were in until it stops? That's how I feel about the elections. Watching the goings on in NH made me impatient to get on with it and get someone new, specifically a Democrat, into the White House. The huge turnout, especially on the democratic side, shows me that I'm not alone in feeling this. If we can get more independents to vote for the dems, which is happening so far in open states, then we have a very good chance of changing the whole gang in Washington. And 'change' has become the buzz word. I can't wait. I want to feel good about my country again.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | January 9, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Nice article here on the Obama reaction. Note that final attribution.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 9, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Subdued, why did I agree to substitute teach today when I have so much to do, waves.

From a previous boodle, how many back I can't remember because JA is so darn prolific these days-
Like kb I'm wondering if I'm going to be a single issue voter, and despondent that my country would be in such a state that torture is that single issue.

Jon Stewart did a great job of skewering Rudy last night with clips showing how he answers every question with 9/11. The topper was when asked about whether Hillary's "tears" were genuine and he recalled his own tears at funerals of 9/11 victims.

Toodles boodle.

When CP gets her DSL back perhaps she can do some analysis of the intermountain west. Where is Birdie?

Posted by: frostbitten | January 9, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

West is wide
1/4 libert.
1/4 working conserv.
1/4 live n let l.
1/4 evang. CO, esp.

Posted by: cp | January 9, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken, the exit polls got it wrong *again* (predicted Obama the winner vs. Clinton). When are the TV guys going to stop relying on those things?

Having said that, I loved the exit quotes from the last kit. It does my heart good to know that there are some who weigh the issues and take their choice very seriously.

And RD, I don't know if you should be girding your loins in mixed company.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 9, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Ugetsu" won the Silver Lion Award for Best Direction at the Venice Film Festival in 1953. In 2000, The Village Voice newspaper ranked Ugetsu at #29 on their list of the 100 best films of the 20th century based on a poll of 50 distinguished film critics ("Casablanca" does not appear on the list).

"Harakiri" was entered in the competition category of the Cannes Film Festival in 1963 and received the Special Jury Award.

"Woman in the Dunes" won the Special Jury Prize at the 1964 Cannes film festival and was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar in the same year.

"Double Suicide" won three Kinema Junpo awards (Japanese Oscars) for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actress.

Apologies all around for even mentioning such "totally obscure" films.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 9, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

And so what lesson will the Clinton campaign take out of NH? Go warm and fuzzy and show your softer side? Jump on Obama while you have some advantage and attack, attack,attack? Seems like a pair of slippery slopes to me. My advice to HRC right now would be - don't cuss the protective detail on the ski slopes, don't ride in a tank, and whatever you do, don't scream!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 9, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

New kit.
The Man is unstoppable.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 9, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

A busy, busy day for me, but wanted to take a minute to Boodle.

Good catch on that attribution, RD. Also, I note that they spelled that guy's name wrong in the last para.

Scottynuke, seems like it's *always* Hump Day with you. [Dear Reader, please feel free to insert your own inappropriate comment here].

Looks like we have real horseraces on both sides, though I am quite interested in the GOPs favorable position re. Obama. Was discussing it with a friend yesterday, and we agreed that it's possible that the reason they're not concerned with him is that they (the GOP) knows something we don't, and that when Karl Rove rises up out of Bald Mountain after the Dem Convention (as part of the RNC or as part of a GOP nominee's staff (note: not if it's McCain)), he has some sort of plan to summon the GOP faithful and address Obama's Presidential Campaign.

But that's just me thinking out loud...

bc

Posted by: bc | January 9, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Here's why mandatory dangerous dog legislation doesn't work too well (had to tinyurl it as the original url contained a wurty Dird).

The mailmen around here come armed with dog biscuits, and Wilbrodog adores the opportunity to freeload from them. I don't think they get bitten.

A little basic dog psychology (and bribery) goes a long way towards a safe route. Wilbrodog would also happily walk the route as a personal body guard if the dog biscuits kept coming.

If dog bites are a problem, I call for basic dog education and deputizing postal security dogs. No pomeranian is going to launch itself at a mailman if a lab is in the way.

As it was, the Postal office merely wanted the mailbox moved, not to get the dog tried at a hearing.

(I must say that I wish more small dog owners would take their dogs' aggression more seriously. Even a pomeranian can potentially kill a person in the right circumstances.)

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 9, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse