Rudy in the Bold New City of the South

Rudy at Disney world reduced.jpg

[Rudy at Disney World's Coronado resort.]

Giuliani in Jacksonville.jpg

[And in Jacksonville.]

Am now in a motel in Brunswick, Ga., on my way to South Carolina to try to figure out what in tarnation is going on with the Republican Party. Giuliani, I noticed, came in 17th place, behind Bob Dole, Steve Forbes and Jack Kemp.

I just came from one last Giuliani event, at a hunting lodge near Yulee, right by the St. Mary's River, with Georgia on the other side. Giuliani spoke beneath a 14-point elk. Just the head of it, of course, mounted on the wall. I'll tell that story in the morning. But in the meantime, check out the bear.]

Scary bear at hunting lodge reduced.jpg

[Cross-posted from the Trail.]

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., 3:50 p.m. -- A couple of hundred people have gathered at the veterans' memorial wall next to the football stadium. A large American flag hangs from a firetruck's cherry picker, flirting with the horizontal as it flaps in a chilly zephyr. Rock music blares from a sound system as a color guard stands at attention. There's an eternal flame front and center. The Giuliani buses should be here any minute, having adhered perfectly to the schedule after yesterday's logistical problems.

Giuliani has covered a lot of territory today, from the orange groves in the central spine of the state to the scrub of Northeast Florida. He's had an excellent tour of all the palmettos and pine trees along I-4 and I-95. Plus the occasional live oak, heavily colonized by Spanish moss.

This morning he stopped at Disney World, eschewing the obvious photo-op at the Magic Kingdom's Hall of Presidents to instead visit the Coronado resort (the nice fellow who gave me a lift in a golf cart said it has 190,000 square feet of convention space, meaning it's almost as large as John Edwards's house!) to pick up the endorsement of the National Troopers Coalition.

"He's the only candidate who's been crisis-tested," said the group's president, Dennis Hallion.

He also visited low-key New Smyrna Beach, where organizers had hoped for a hundred people but got several times that, including Bill Clark, 72, a retired fireman who, when asked why he liked Giuliani, responded with a line the campaign might want to adopt: "When 9/11 happened, he proved you don't have to be 10 feet high to be a giant."

Giuliani also gave an interview to Reuters touting his advocacy of tax cuts, including cuts to the corporate tax rate, which he believes is hurting the U.S. in the global economy. Now he'll make his pitch to Jacksonville, which this reporter (who grew up about one long spit of a watermelon seed from here) distinctly recalls as a backwater in the 1970s. It's now a much spiffier place, with bank towers, riverfront bistros and a pro football team that did pretty well until it collided with the Patriots a few days ago.

"It was the Bold New City of the South, then The River City. It is now The Place Where Florida Begins," says Richard Clark, 37, a city councilman who runs a janitorial business. He says it's also a place where Giuliani's pitch will play well. The city has a booming port (Giuliani advocates engaging the global economy), low unemployment, but a high crime rate. Clark says the murder rate is the highest per capita of any city in Florida. "We need to find a way to stop it -- and he did that."

In New York City, he means. The New York Turnaround is a staple of any Giuliani conversation at one of his events. In fact his supporters tend to mention the city's fortunes even more often than they talk about Giuliani's handling of 9/11.

Jeff Bigman, 49, an attorney in Daytona, cites the NY Turnaround in explaining his Giuliani preference, and adds, "I think McCain has switched on a lot of issues, and is too old for the presidency. Romney seems -- I hate to use the word -- plastic to me."

Giuliani spokeswoman Maria Comella says the former mayor has 6,000 volunteers in Florida and will campaign here virtually nonstop until Jan. 29.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., 5:50 p.m. -- A black marble wall, etched with the names of the fallen, is the candidate's backdrop. After he thanks the local dignitaries and muckety-mucks, he points out that several people in the audience lost loved ones in Iraq. He invites them to the rostrum. What happens next proves immensely more powerful than anything a politician could ever say.

"A sniper killed my child."

She's Carolyn Woods, and her son, Julian Woods, was killed in Fallujah on Nov. 10, 2004. She says she supports the war even as she continues to mourn.

"There's not a day goes by that my heart does not break for my son."

As she speaks, a heckler in the distance, someone who has followed Giuliani for days, shouts something indecipherable.

"They don't get the picture," Woods says, referring to the heckler and his ilk. "They can go home to their sons and daughters and hug and kiss them...and I never got a chance to tell my son how proud I was of him, and that doesn't deter me."

Next comes a father, Dave Seamans, whose son, Timothy Seamans, died in Iraq on Aug. 18, 2005.

"His room is still there, his things are still there."

After a third parent speaks, Giuliani launches into his speech, vowing to keep America strong, defeat the terrorists, expand the military. He calls for 10 new combat brigades for the Army, more Marines, more ships for the Navy, a bigger Coast Guard. He doesn't mention how he will pay for all this and cut taxes, too.

"The best way to win wars is through overwhelming strength, perseverance. And the best way to prevent wars is through overwhelming strength. Peace through strength is the answer, not peace through weakness," he says.

Then he lunges for a local headline: He proposes that the nation's newest aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. George H. W. Bush, "be homeported here, right here." He points out that this will help create jobs as the Navy facilities are upgraded to handle the Nimitz-class, nuclear-powered carrier. The locals give him a big hand.

jacksonville skyline.jpg

[Jacksonville skyline. Photos by J.A.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 15, 2008; 10:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rudy Taking the Measure of Florida
Next: Among the Big Game Hunters

Comments

Good night boodle.

Posted by: daiwanlan | January 15, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Good night, daiwanlan.

Posted by: nellie | January 15, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Good night, me too.

Wow. JA...will you need vacation next December and how

Posted by: College Parkian | January 15, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Joel... did you at least get to stop in for a home-cooked meal at Mom's?

Posted by: TBG | January 15, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Dawainian -- that you take the night shift along with rainforest, well, makes the world go round.

Thank you. God bless, you across the water and the wavelengths....

Posted by: College Parkian | January 15, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Me, too. 'Night, all.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 15, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Nice skyline-waterline photo, Joel. I already know I don't want to live there when the next hurricane happens along.

Kbertocci, no worries, it was obviously not from you.

What happened is that some spammers can "spoof" your e-mail address if they somehow capture it with automated software.

You may want to check your pc to be sure it hasn't become a zombie spammer, but odds are your e-mail has just been stolen.

I went through this a few years ago with one e-mail account and I just basically made it no-reply for over 6 months until people finally turned off their damn "your e-mail has been blocked" messages from their pc systems to spam me. That e-mail is probably still blocked by half of the computers on earth.

Also somehow I wound up subscribed to an APACHE programmer list... looked like they were discussing confidential stuff so I just gave them a heads-up to remove me.

I also have gotten it on another account (NOT the one you e-mailed me at) and same thing-- I had to clean out my PC and then set up an "vacation autoreply".

While it may be satisfying to spam the spammers back in addition to blocking them, a continual feedback loop from system softwares without any system administrator to catch feedback loops between auto-reply e-mail software after the first 2-3 times serves nobody any good and does not catch any spammers.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 15, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

g'night boodle

Another reason for military types to loathe Rudy. Just what we need, more decisions of where to put things based one where a politician needs votes. This is why we the very painful BRAC process had to be devised. If Jax makes sense from a strategic, and money saving, perspective I'm all for it. But the "it will be good for the local economy" argument is just pork in hawk's clothing.

Posted by: frostbitten | January 15, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't you love power-mad "little generals" who like making flower arrangements out those toy ships and tanks on a big map?

Let the REAL generals do that. It's what we're paying them for.

Posted by: Wilbrod | January 15, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

How very depressing. I think Frosti's right about Roodee's particular pitch documented in this kit.

Good night boodle.

Posted by: Kim | January 16, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

great bear picture (the bottom one).

Posted by: L.A. lurker | January 16, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Nice pictures. The bear doesn't look friendly ...

Posted by: rainforest | January 16, 2008 3:02 AM | Report abuse

this was really interesting

Posted by: wulliam | January 16, 2008 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, my friends. I'm up and moving about. Got a nasty cold, we all do. And it is still cold outside. Have much to do today.

RD, you mentioned the economic impact of the baby boomers in an earlier kit, and I agree that will impact us greatly. Some seniors already nervous about the continuation of their Social Security, my dad one of them. He thinks when the baby boomers file, everything is going up in smoke. During the time that I was working, efforts were made to increase the payments to Social Security in light of what was to take place. What happened to that increase? Did we spend it and not replace it? My dad says the government takes money out of Social Security, and replaces it with paper(worthless). Sort of like taking money from your savings account. I don't see how we can justify any serious danger to Social Security with the money we spend in Iraq on a daily basis. I mean where is the justice in that? I beleive we can change Social Security, and not necessarily the way the current administration suggested, wherein we give people a choice of what they want, allowing them to do this with the knowledge they do it at their own risk.

Morning,daiwanlan, have a great day.

Morning, Mudge, Slyness, Scotty, and all.*waving*

Slyness, are you saying Christians don't know how to vote? Just asking. I think sometimes we Christian get thrown a line of goods, and we're not vigilant in seeking the truth from these lines. I mean if Rudy were to all of suddent start talking God and his faith, it might turn some folks off, right? I know it is not impossible, but it does not have a good feel. And I just believe the perception among many is that Christians are the world's fools. All this because of the doctrines of Christianity and faith in those doctrines.

Wish me well, friends. Today I get a chance to talk a little bit. This morning the throat hurts and the voice is scratchy. Today is actually a full day of talking, but the little bit refers to the radio. I don't know if this will work, but here's the link. It begins at eleven this morning.

www.wkdx.net/id20.html

Have a great day, folks. Stay warm if it's cold where you are. And check on the elderly.

Where are you, Ivansmom? JA is cranking out the kits, hard to keep up.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 16, 2008 6:36 AM | Report abuse

I didn't get a chance to see Mom, no. I just saw a lot of I-4 and I-95, I'm sorry to say.

I will avoid posting so many kits. It breaks up the rhythm of the boodle. I'm also going to figure out how to shrink/resize the photos so that they don't look so much like oatmeal.

Cassandra, good luck with your program today, and getting over that cold.

FYI, I'm off to Bluffton and then Charleston SC.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 16, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra - The problem with Social Security is that its finances are independent of anything else in the budget.

We could be running a huge surplus overall and still be facing a crises in Social Security because it gets its funding from specific taxes that are a direct function of the number of workers.

The key problem is that when we have fewer workers than retirees, then either the retirees need to get less, or the workers need to pay more.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 16, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Totally dig the bear.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 16, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, boodle. Joel, hope you have a good rest driving across the states. Good morning Cassandra. Hope you smile in the program. When my throat did not feel well, my mom gave me a teaspoon of honey. Do not swallow or dilute, just hold it until it melt away. I still cannot find the scientific evidence of this treatment. But would try it if you see fit. Good morning, Martooni.

Posted by: daiwanlan | January 16, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Good luck with your talk Cassandra!

The boodle has rhythm? Who knew.

Posted by: RD Padouk | January 16, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Good luck today Cassandra.

The kits are great Joel. I have a question though, the "New York turnaround", isn't that a little revisionist history. If I recall,Rudy was leaving office with a fairly low approval rating. 9/11 changed that for many people.

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Great off to get ready for work with an old tune cootie in my head.

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

dmd, that's an interesting point on New York. All I know is that it's essentially the first thing everyone says at a Giuliani rally. "Look what he did to New York." It is now orthodoxy. I am sure that, like all things in politics, the reality is much more complicated than the sound bite.

Posted by: Achenbach | January 16, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Joel. Good morning CP. Thanks for the kind words.

Posted by: daiwanlan | January 16, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

*trying to keep my head from spinning while following so many Kits*

*also trying to keep from damaging valuable property now that the IT folks have "migrated" us to a different e-mail program while forgetting about little things like calendar items and five years' worth of accumulated contact info*

I was already thinking Huckabee was rolling out another Theocracy Traveling Road Show, so Boko's post yesterday was no great surprise. *SIGHHHHHHHHHHH*

Joel, anyone point out to Senor Rudy that J-ville isn't exactly the kind of deep-water port that can support a supercarrier? Jes' askin'...

*halfway-to-the-weekend Grover waves*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, my former boss swore that gargling with warm salt water was the cure for a sore throat and/or scratchy voice. He was a former DJ who by then owned the radio station and still kept his hand in with some on-air spots and commentary. However, he was also a bit of a hypocondriac so who knows if it really worked or if he just thought it did. All the DJ's had their little tricks but it seemed the most effective was just lots and lots of fluids, water and hot tea being the favorites. They always had some near at hand when on the air.

Morning everyone. Very cold here today - 3 degrees right now, supposed to rise into the 20's but at least it's sunny.

I didn't watch the debate last night - am all debated out and assumed I wouldn't learn anything new. I watched a few minutes of the post-debate commentary and they all agreed everyone stayed very civil. Good - d'ya think they got the message we really don't want to hear all the petty bickering that's been going on since NH?

Most of my friends from NYC are NOT enamoured of Rudy. My impression is that he doesn't take criticism very well and can become very vengeful against those who dare to do so. So NOT what we need another several years of.

Have a great day, everyone.

Posted by: TLF | January 16, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all. I'm off to do my shift at Hospitality House but can't resist this story:

Posted by: Slyness | January 16, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I got rhythm, I got music
I got my man, who could ask for anything more
I got daisies in green pastures
I got my man, who could ask for anything more

Posted by: boodle | January 16, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

The boodle has rhythm: http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/igotrhyt.htm

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Joel, if you're still in Brunswick, be sure and eat at the Cargo Portside Grill. Best food in town by far. We ate there with some friends after four days canoe camping in the Okefenokee Swamp NWR. We would have eaten flavored tree bark at that point, but fortunately CPG was there. Really really good seafood.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Kate Moss 1974
Gillian Iliana Waters 1975
Maxine Jones 1966
Jill Sobule 1961
Sade 1959
Debbie Allen 1950
John Carpenter 1948
A.J. Foyt 1935

Happy B-days...

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

just ask if you don't know and want to who any of those are.

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

2003 Columbia takes off on final mission. RIP

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

1979 - The Shah of Iran flees Iran
1991 - The United States of America declares war on Iraq
2001 - US President Bill Clinton awards former US President Theodore Roosevelt a posthumous Medal of Honor
2005 - Adriana Iliescu becomes the oldest woman in the world to give birth, at age 66

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Now, I don't claim to be an expert and I'm no big fan of Johnny Mac, but doesn't getting shot down in combat and spending six years being tortured in a POW prison qualify as some kind of crisis test? If you don't like the guy, just say so, but don't deny his creds.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

1919 - The United States of America ratifies the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Repealed Dec 5 1933 21ST Amendment...YAY...It remains the only constitutional amendment to be repealed in its entirety.

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

1777 - Vermont declares its independence from New York

1707 - The Scottish Parliament ratifies the Act of Union, paving way for the creation of Great Britain

1581 - The English Parliament outlaws Roman Catholicism

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry, the Wayback Machine went a little haywired...

If only Liz Kelly would post a new blog item I'd go over there post something snarky

Like this, posted on Monday:

For all you poor souls who missed Persuasion it airs again Jan 17th 9PM on WETA.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

We now return your regularly scheduled drivel...

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

We now have confirmation for ROUS...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Humm, the brownish bear with the V-marking is probably a Florida black bear, a protected sub-species of the common black bear. One would get in big trouble for killing such a bear now.
I have to award the Lost in Transit award of the week to the 4th-letter-of-Greek-alphabet airlines. They lost the Fungie's luggage on both outgoing and return flights of his Costa Rican adventure. He got it back on his second day in San Jose the first time and they told him yesterday he should get it back today. We'll see. How difficult is it to transfer luggage between two aircrafts of the same company if you have 4.5 hours to do it and the transfer occurs in the company's principal airport, Atlanta? It's apparently an impossible task.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 16, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

K-guy, your 9:06 was right on.

Just as I was leaving the house this morning, the Today show had Tim Russert on, and he was making me livid. He was going on and on with this crap about how the Republican Party was "in a muddle," and there was "confusion" and "chaos" because there was no clear frontrunner, and blah blah blah.

And I'm thinking, "Why is theme necessary?" Why doesn't somebody ask him, "Why do you think the GOP is in chaos?" and yadda yadda. Where is the evidence of a "muddle"? Does the absence of a frontrunner in a five-way race constitute a "muddle"? Not to me. For a guy who (over)uses sports analogies all the time, hasn't he ever heard of, say, NASCAR? Or football? or baseball? If after the third NASCAR race, Gordon and Earnhardt Jr. and Kenseth have each won a race, do you hear NASCAR commentators going berserk and decryuing that the NASCAR picture is all "muddled" and "in chaos" because there's no clear frontrunner, and three different guys have each won a race? Do you hear John Madden and Chris Collinsworth going bonkers after NFL Week Three, when some teams are 3-0, some are 2-1, some are 1-2, and a few are 0-3? No.

I just don't understand it. (What's even worse is, if the GOP really IS in a panic, as Russert claims, then those morons need to get themselves some backbone.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 16, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

shrieking;

Before you ask, I've seen the news, and that's all I can say.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

re: Padouk's post yesterday about entitlements and Cassandra's about Social Security and boomers.

Let's see, when did Ken Dychtwald write "Age Wave?" Amazon.com says it came out in January 1990. IIRC, and I am a little fuzzy on this, I saw and heard him speak about his book as an extension of my dietetics classes at Cal State Sacto, gerontolgy nutrition being part of the curriculum.

Interesting news about the sheikh yesterday (he linked via 9/11 to Rudy). Some history from the Wall Street Journal:

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the more attractive Saudi royals, came to see ground zero and hand over a check for the victims. What he got instead was a timely introduction to new American realities--walking right into a Rudy Giuliani roundhouse after unwisely using the occasion to berate Israel. Rudy promptly ripped up the check, and the bemused prince left muttering about Jewish political pressure.

Of course the poor prince was loyally trotting out the Saudi line, however threadbare. No less debonair a figure than Sheikh Yamani, the famous ex-oil minister who runs an Islamic foundation in London, cited the plight of the Palestinians and decreed, "This is the cause of terrorism," though he undoubtedly knows better. Osama bin Laden's primary aim is to overthrow the Saudi monarchy.

Apparently in banking, it's a whole different ballgame:

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said he is among investors helping Citigroup Inc, which posted its first quarterly loss since its creation in 1998, to raise $12.5 billion in convertible preferred securities. ...

The royal, a nephew of Saudi King Abdullah, is Citigroup's largest individual shareholder, owning 3.6 percent of the biggest U.S. bank by assets through Kingdom Holding, which he controls. He owns 95 percent of the Riyadh-based firm. ...

The Saudi billionaire last came to the bank's aid in 1991, when he invested $590 million in Citigroup predecessor Citicorp, which needed cash as it struggled with Latin American loan losses and a collapse in U.S. real-estate prices.

So what's next, Joel? Will you be shadowing any particular candidate, possibly Thompson? Since both the Democratic and Republican races should be interesting in the Palmetto State, will you be there to get the lay of the land in both contests and be reporting on both?

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

the repubs are in a muddle, and i'm enjoying it. still rooting for thompson in s.c. and guiliani in fla.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | January 16, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

A one-ton dinorodent? Mickeysaurus? It used to be just "moose and squirrel." Now moose IS squirrel. And I especially liked this paragraph:

"The scientists believe the rodent, named Josephoartigasia monesi, roamed the earth about four million years ago at the same time as other giant creatures, such as terror birds, saber-toothed cats, ground sloths and giant armored mammals."

Terror birds? Does Homeland Security know about this? And did any of those giant armored mammals checked for steroids?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 16, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, NYT treats the issue of "muddle" [no perceived frontrunner] with some humor:

By Chris Suellentrop

Romney wins: If things keep going this way, John Edwards will win Nevada, Fred Thompson will win South Carolina, Rudy Giuliani will win Florida, and the two parties will have to dig up scores of new candidates to win the remaining states.

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I just heard a commercial for "Burgers for Breakfast" at Burger King. Sounds like the end of all those worries about Social Security to me. Everybody over 50 starts eating 8-10 times a week at BK and that Boomer wave just melts away before they can reach retirement age.

Posted by: Jonathan Swift aka kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for that informative link to the Phorusrhacidae, omni. Some of those terror birds sound like good eatin'. I wonder if a major 7-foot tall shrieking predator ought to be spatchcocked or brined?

And think of the McNuggets!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 16, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Local news:

For those of you who followed the Golden Globes telecast, you know that "No Country for Old Men" picked up two awards--one for best screenplay, the other for Javier Bardem as best supporting actor. The movie was based on Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel of the same name. A deal has just been reached to house McCarthy's archive at LBJ's old alma mater.:

(01-14) 11:42 PST San Marcos, Texas (AP)

The Southwestern Writers Collection at Texas State University-San Marcos has purchased the archives of novelist Cormac McCarthy, a winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.

McCarthy, 74, is widely considered one of the nation's best writers for his lyrical but violent tales, many of which are set in the U.S.-Mexico borderlands.

He was awarded a Pulitzer for his 2006 novel, "The Road," and in 1992 won the National Book Award for "All the Pretty Horses." His 2005 novel "No Country for Old Men" was the basis for a recent Coen brothers movie.

Texas State said the archives include correspondence, notes, drafts and proofs of his 11 novels. There is also a draft of an unfinished novel and materials related to a play and four screenplays. The center hopes to open the archives to the public in the fall.

The papers could offer rare insight on an author who has given few interviews over the past four decades.

Individual and foundation support supplemented university funding for the $2 million purchase, officials said.

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, I hate to say it but Baron Black of Crossharbour's ideologic rag, the National Post, has the best coverage on this complex affair. They had a good articles by Iveson yesterday and the day before as well on the woes of AECL.
There is plenty of blame to go around (including politicians overstepping lines they should have left uncrossed) but her inept handling of the situation standed out. So when the "Off with her head!" was sounded very few people following the affair were surprised.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 16, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Rotisserie style over an open flame would be my guess.

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. Geez, I love these Kits, living vicariously off Joel's labor, and will be sorry if they diminish, but it is hard to keep up. On the other hand, even with no Kits I'd be way behind on the Boodle.

I want some terror birds for my yard.

I was going to try and post something at least remotely on-Boodle, if not on-topic, but I have to rescue the Boy. He & I aren't feeling well and I told him if he hung on through his first period math test he could call. Of course, he did. I have a project I can do at home, so off we go, as soon as I report in. I'll have to catch everyone in a little while.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Heck, I might as well give you the whole ball of wax:

New year kicks of LBJ Centennial

San Marcos playing a role in yearlong celebrations

San Marcos -- Today marks the beginning of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Centennial, commemorating the 100th birthday (Aug. 27, 1908) of the 36th president and a year-long tribute to the LBJ legacy.

As of 12:01 a.m., Jan. 1, the Centennial Web site, www.lbj100.org, is live, and ready for visitors to learn about the 36th president, special events that are scheduled across Texas and in Washington, D. C., and the seven LBJ-affiliated organizations that are participating in the Centennial salute.

"Daddy loved celebrating - especially his birthday. When the Texas legislature contemplated making his birthday a state holiday, Mother said that daddy would want everyone to instead work twice as hard on that day. He was a 'can-do' man," said Lynda Johnson Robb, LBJ's daughter.

Luci Baines Johnson, LBJ's daughter, said, "I believe that the birthday present daddy would have wanted most is for us to thoughtfully address what still needs to be done for a more just America and get about doing it."

A partial list of planned

Centennial activities:

• May 17 - LBJ School of Public Affairs - Spring convocation with civil rights leader Vernon Jordan as speaker.

• May 19 - 22 - Celebrations and programs in Washington, D. C.

• Aug. 23 - Texas State University - San Marcos - New student convocation with keynote speaker Lyndon Nugent, LBJ's grandson.

• Aug. 27 - LBJ National Historical Park - Dedication and opening of the President's Office at the Texas White House to public tours.

• Aug. 27 - LBJ Library and Museum - opening of a major exhibit on space, "To the Moon: The American Space Program of the 1960s." LBJ co-sponsored the legislation that created NASA.

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"1-ton rodent was the size of a small car"
That's nothing. On an Island along the Atlantic coast, at the mouth of what is now the Hudson River, the darn things were the size of a double decker bus.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 16, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

8/10 got 3 and 9 wrong

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Here's a rat the size of a small car-

I love the header "for the discerning rodent connisseur"

Posted by: crc | January 16, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra will be up next!

Posted by: CB | January 16, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Um, that's "connoisseur."

Posted by: crc | January 16, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Wow.. Cassandra did a great job. It just made me smile to be hearing her voice.

Posted by: TBG | January 16, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The Jonah Goldberg piece in WaPo the other day talked about the GOP's problem; they have a candidate for most of their constituencies - just none that appeal to most or all of them.

The bit about Huckabee's southern charm making Thompson look like David Niven was kind of funny.

Posted by: SonofCarl | January 16, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Excellent job, Cassandra.

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Joel, Enjoy Bluffton.
I found a great pottery shop there and got some really nice pieces. I also caught some big fish out of the river next to the very old church. It was a great day in Bluffton.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 16, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Has Astro Tim posted that yet?

Good look at the other side of Mercury:

Click on the pic on the lower right corner.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | January 16, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I notice that in the results from Michigan, as in all the Republican primaries so far, "Other" is still polling double digit support. Now while I know that he has not won big yet, I think "Other"'s remarkable ability to hang in there week after week shows a lot of grit. I know if I were faced with this slate of choices, I'd be firmly in the "Other" column myself.

Sad to say I was unable to penetrate the Veil of Federal Disfunction surrounding this facility and actually hear Cassandra's radio debut, but I'm sure she acquitted herself well.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | January 16, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks so much, everyone. And you too, JA. I was so nervous, and wanted to cough something awful. Throat still feels like I'm hauling red hot coals.

Once again, I do thank you for the support and the kind words.

Ivansmom, sorry you and the Boy aren't feeling well. I hope you don't have a nasty cold. I hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Cassandra S | January 16, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra if you were nervous you hid it well.

Posted by: dmd | January 16, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra.. you were great! And I bet the online stats for your show will be a puzzle to the folks at that radio station who look at them... listeners from all over the globe!

Posted by: TBG | January 16, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Morning boodle! Coming to you from Caribou coffee, second coffee shop stop of the day after a meeting of nonprofit folks at an independent purveyor. Our meeting was in re: transportation (or lack thereof) in our rural county. Next up a meeting with Chamber of Commerce folks re: early literacy and importance thereof as workforce development issue. It is official, I have crossed over entirely into the land of policy wonkitude. At least I'm not expensive and useless, just useless.

Missed Cassandra's radio ministry, or they weren't really doing a live feed because I had an earful of gospel music in my headphones. Hope it went well Cassandra!

Muddle indeed. What's wrong with having a contest in the primaries, in both parties?

Loomis-many thanks for the LBJ centennial and alma mater news. The late dust up between Clinton and Obama reminded me of the first really loud argument Mr. F and I had while dating. Suffice it to say he was cautioned to never, ever, say anything to besmirch the memory of LBJ or HHH. It was bad enough that he was a hater, he didn't even know all of the perfectly good reasons to be critical and had bought some kind of Reaganesque view of the universe.

Posted by: frostbitten | January 16, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Rats, looks like I just missed Cassandra!

Posted by: frostbitten | January 16, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Beware the stupendous Daucus carota. It may attract warge wabbits.

Posted by: jack | January 16, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Beware the spastic digit that hits submit before pasting the appropriate link.

Posted by: jack | January 16, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Uuummmm....broccoli with more sulforaphane! Yum!

Posted by: DLD | January 16, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: Loomis | January 16, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

...and, in an attempt to boodlehog, this interesting story about a potential agreement to make part of the Klamath river free flowing for the first time in 90 years:

Posted by: jack | January 16, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Arbusto strikes again. *sigh* http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/16/AR2008011601536.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Posted by: Curmudgeon | January 16, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse