I've Got Tim Pawlenty Fever!

The second question incited by mention of Tim Pawlenty's name, after "Who???," is surely "How many Sunday morning talk shows will the governor be appearing on today?" The answer is two: Fox, already over at this point, and CNN, starting any moment as I breathlessly type. [Should I be live-blogging this????] [Have I had too much coffee????]

I've got Tim Pawlenty Fever and I've got it BAD. Like most people I hadn't heard of the cat until the other day. Or I heard of him but didn't really register him, which is admittedly my normal operating procedure in dealing with human beings. My brain pan is coated with Teflon.

But on Friday, Cillizza annoited Pawlenty as a very plausible Veep pick for McCain ("The two-term Minnesota governor has to be considered the frontrunner at the moment to be McCain's pick"), and then George Will did the same this morning (while repeating rumors about that guy in Florida). [Pretty soon, Subject of Gay Rumors should be added, after Governor, to Charlie Crist's business card]. More on Pawlenty in the Politico. And from Wikipedia.

... intermission ... pause for visit to snack bar ...

OK, just watched him on CNN, and I no longer have Tim Pawlenty Fever.

He looks good, but surely he can't be that bland in real life. He stuck to the talking points as though the failure to do so would cause him to plunge through a trap door.

Contrast that to Huckabee, who is always good for a zinger. This morning he noted the boost in McCain's fundraising since the Times article ran. Huckabee told MSNBC, "I'm kind of hoping the New York Times will attack me on the front page."

Chuck Hagel popped up on CNN and was so cagey about a third party run, or about whether he'd endorse McCain, that you have to wonder why he bothered to go on TV to begin with. This seems to be a pattern with Hagel. Dude, we're all busy here: Don't waste our time.

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 24, 2008; 10:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What McCain Should Have Said
Next: Obamabots Skewered on Saturday Night Live

Comments

Beginners luck!!!
WhooHoo!!!

Posted by: DNA Girl | February 24, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Minnesota isn't too far from Montana...

Posted by: Loomis | February 24, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I would like to hear from the Boodle Bureau in Minnesota on this guy.

Posted by: CB | February 24, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Pawlenty is two year older than Barack, now that's what I call balancing the ticket.

Another lawyer, schooled only in Minnesota. And a flip-flopper on religion. Choosing Pawlenty, other than his expression of rabid enthusiasm for McCain--well, that would be like picking the junior Indiana senator Dan Quayle to balance the Bush 41 ticket. Do you think Pawlenty can spell potato?

Posted by: Loomis | February 24, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Oooh, that would be interesting.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Congrats DNAGirl.

I'm watching the Sunday talkers, but I usually skip the spinmeisters at the front for the roundtable pundits. I may have to go back and recheck Fox.

Someone mentioned SNL last night and I looooove Tina Fey. She had a great pro-Hillary rant on Weekend Update. Most of it can't make it through the Wirty Dird Filter but here is a link:

The SNL cold open was also all about how Obamamania has swept the press corps.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Annointed as plausable?
I think if you're going to go around annointing people you should be a bit more sure of yourself.

Posted by: Boko999 | February 24, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I have an occasional beef with Pawlenty. As a mayor I have seen first hand how his refusal to approve tax increases in some areas has forced local governments to raise property taxes to painful heights. The institution of new/increased fees is just a tax increase by another name.

On the other hand I have to applaud his willingness to work with the Nature Conservancy and contribute state funds toward the purchase of conservation easements on 50,000 acres of privately owned forest in our county and our neighboring county to the north. Somehow this Rep. governor was able to please just about everybody with this scheme. The land stays in private hands to generate jobs and income through sustainable timber harvesting, and stays in the tax base. The conservation easement means snowmobile trails and other recreational easements will be maintained-meaning the land won't be turned into Cheneyesque private hunting preserves. (Traditionally more private land is unposted here than posted. Even land that is posted "no trespassing" is typically available for hunting if you stop by the owner's place to ask permission)

A word of caution to McCain though. Ranchers and some powerful ag interests in the Southwest see conservation easements, particularly those owned by the Nature Conservancy, as an anathema. Even though a freely entered agreement between owner and easement buyer they see this as a slippery slope toward yet more government "takings" through restrictions on property use.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I love Montana news. I'll plug this guy's blog again - beautiful pictures:

Nader - not so much.

Posted by: mostlylurking | February 24, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Pawlenty really is that boring, but in MN we see that as a virtue. Even politicians shouldn't draw attention to themselves.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I have to add that Huckabee was hilarious on SNL last night.

Those of you who Tivo'ed it, make sure you see the Weekend Update (which also included my hero Tina Fey's excellent rant yellojkt mentioned).

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The obsequious Obama-loving reporter in the SNL skit was hilarious. Not that it reminded me of anyone in particular...

Posted by: Achenbach | February 24, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I've been thinking about Pawlenty as we're cleaning up the kitchen after Sunday brunch.

If anything happened to McCain (IIRC, eight vice presidents came into office after something happened to the respective president each one of these respective veeps served), then we'd have the first LUTHERAN in the White House. Do you think Pawlenty would have to make a speech from the Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas?

It would rocket fellow Minnesotan Garrison Keillor to superstardom, no doubt. Do you think it would resurrect the broadcasting career of the man from Hopkins, Minn.--Aaron Brown?

Think of it this way: a Prairie Home Companion a heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

And do you think Pawlenty would arrive on Day One ready to take care of the (ahem) northern U.S. border problem?

P.S.--speaking of borders: John Kerry was campaigning this weekend in the Lower Rio Grande Valley--just across the same campus as Chelsea.

Posted by: Loomis | February 24, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Miracle: a fever spikes, then moments later normalizes.

Posted by: Loomis | February 24, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Let me guess, Joel, you'll use the Dan White "Twinkie defense"--in reverse.

Posted by: Loomis | February 24, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Wonkette handicapped the VP derby awhile ago.

Read down into the comments to get some innuendo on other politicians that might be as light in the loafers as Crist.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

mostly - lovely pictures. I must have missed your previous plugs for this blog. I'll show it to the hubby because living in Montana is his dream. The other day I found a job posting printed out and sitting on our counter. It was for a part-time prosecutor position somewhere in Montana. When I asked him how we would feed our children he said that he'd be huntin' and fishin' the rest of the time.

DNA girl, way to go! It took me months to be first!

I saw Pawlenty on Fox this a.m. Like yello, I typically tune in for the roundtables only, but I was a captive at the gym. As JA says, he was completely on message...almost painfully so...
As usual, IMHO, Tim Kaine came across as reasonable, knowledgeable and as a consensus builder. I think he is the best. If Obama pulls off the nom. I think Kaine has to be at or near the top of the VP list. I wonder if Gov. Kaine found this piece about the dilemma Catholic Democrats find themselves in as interesting as I did...

Posted by: Kim | February 24, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Great William Booth article predicting the Oscar winners:

I watched Michael Clayton last night and just didn't follow it - at all. Saw Juno and liked it, but not for Best Picture. Hope the Coen brothers clean up tonight.

Posted by: mostlylurking | February 24, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the copy and paste, folks.. but today's Borowitz Report cracks me up. Please feel free to use the scroll button freely...

Nader Announces Plan to Wreck Election
But Prominent Crackpots are Cool to Bid

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" today, consumer activist Ralph Nader told host Tim Russert that he has officially decided to wreck the 2008 presidential election.

Mr. Nader had been huddling with prominent crackpots over the weekend to determine whether he had enough support among his natural constituency, self-absorbed whack-jobs, to mount an entirely meaningless campaign.

"If I wreck the 2008 election, I intend to wreck it in all fifty states," Mr. Nader told Mr. Russert today. "I have no intention of being merely a regional spoiler."

When asked if his candidacy could hurt the chances of the first African-American nominee for president, Mr. Nader put his fingers in his ears and started going, "Lalalalalalalala I can't hear you."

But across the country, significant numbers of crackpots who have supported Mr. Nader in the past appeared to be cool to his latest bid to wreck a presidential election.

"If I'm going to waste my vote, I want to be sure I'm wasting it on the right wingnut," said longtime crackpot Stacy Klujian, who has supported Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex) in his 2008 campaign. "It is time for Ralph Nader to step aside for a new generation of bananaheads."

For his part, Mr. Nader said that he had already begun preparing for his latest run as a spoiler by sneaking up behind people who were watching "No Country for Old Men" and telling them how it ended.

"It wasn't as challenging as spoiling an entire election, but it was fun," he said.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

- Beer and Cheese Soup

1 can or bottle (12 oz) beer
1 1/2 Tbsp. (1 envelope) Herb Ox Chicken stock base - or boullion powder
1 C. grated carrot
1 C. thinly sliced celery
2/3 C. thinly sliced onion
1 1/2 C. milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
8 oz sharp cheddar or Colby cheese, shredded
salt and pepper

Combine beer and stock base in saucepan, stir over medium-high heat until stock is dissolved. Add vegetables, cover, simmer 10 - 12 minutes.

In medium bowl, gradually whisk 3/4 C. of milk into flour. Gradually add to soup, blend well, add remaining milk, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Blend in the cheese a little at a time, stirring until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve at once. (If overcooked, it will separate.) Do not freeze; reheat gently.

From Gourmet or Bon Appetite, 1984.

really delicious

Posted by: nellie | February 24, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats on being first to post, DNA Girl, and welcome. My wife is off to see her Mom. She had a hip replacement and a rod inserted in the humerus in her left arm yesterday in an hour long procedure. Ball joint replacement has risen to a fine art. She has a few more days in the hospital, then back to our area for rehab. Thanks again for all of the positive energy. I'm off to fix lunch.

Posted by: jack | February 24, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Golly, I guess the soup plugged up the Boodle. Sorry! Just wanted to show the soup, as it is easy and really good and people were talking about it on the last Boodle.

Posted by: nellie | February 24, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'll see your "fever," Achenbach, and raise you a "Pawlenty got time to bleed."

Posted by: Jumper | February 24, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Jack, your MIL is firmly in my prayers.

Posted by: dr | February 24, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

A feverish tune cootie from my favourite Muppets movie:

I got cabin fever it's burning in my brain
I've got cabin fever it's driving me insane
We got cabin fever, we're flipping our bandanas
Been stuck at sea so long we have simply gone bananas

Ariba!
Chica chica boom
A chica chica boom boom chic
Chica chica boom
A chica chica boom boom chic

We got cabin fever we've lost what sense we had
We got cabin fever, we're all going mad

*** [does not appear in movie, but is on the soundtrack]

My sanity is hanging by a thread
Since we're going nowhere I've gone out of my head
We were sailing sailing over the bounding main
(Lew Zealand:) And now we're not! Ha ha heh!
***

Grab your partner by the ears
Lash him to the wheel
Do-si-do step on his toe
Listen to him squeal
Allemande left, allemande right
It's time to sail or sink
Swing your partner over the side
Drop him in the drink

We got cabin fever
No if's, and's, or but's
We're disoriented
And demented
And a little nuts

Ach du lieber Volkswagen car
(Yodel-lay-ee-hoo)
Saur braten viener schnitzel
Und a vunder bar
(Yodel-lay-ee-hoo)

We were sailing, sailing the wind was on our side
And then it died

I've got cabin fever
I think I've lost my grip
I'd like to get my hands on
Whoever wrote this script
Si!

I was floating 'neath a tropic moon
And dreaming of a blue lagoon
Now I'm crazy as a loon

Cabin fever has ravaged all aboard
This once proud vessel has become a floating psycho ward
We were sailing, sailing headed who knows where
And now though we're all here
We're not all there

Cabin fever! Yeaaaah!

Posted by: jack | February 24, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I wish you folks would learn to spell. It's p-o-l-e-n-t-a, not pawlenty. What is that, some regional cracker pronounciation? Sure, I watch all the food shows, too, and yes, every Tom, Dick and Nigella is now making polenta, and yes, they've all got polenta fever. But nominating a bland corn paste for vice president? I know the GOP is hard up for candidates, but this is going too far.

Posted by: Emily Litella Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Gee HAW, Nellie on the soup. Got it and will enjoy after the bike ride.

Thanks, Jack for MIL information. Sad and hard, these rows to hoe in the later years. Glad, however, that your daughters and dogs are in her life. You and Mrs. Jack, too.

Jumper, you are funny.

Off to the ministrations of the day. Biking later, so I am very happy. Sunshine on my shoulders.....

Posted by: College Parkian | February 24, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

When is William Booth getting a blog?

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

JA, had to laugh at that hit about Huckabee and those zingers. You know preachers are real good at zingers. I guess it comes from lightening up the congregation on Sunday morning. Sometimes I believe my pastor was a stand up comedy guy in another life. He's good at zingers too.

I don't understand Nader running again. Perhaps it is too high for me. I wonder if Nader understands why he's running again.

Cloudy and dreary looking here. It has warmed up a bit.

Time to find something to eat, and that means cooking. *sigh*

Posted by: cassandra s | February 24, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else noticed a resemblence between Dan Quayle and Jeffery Dahmer?

Where'd that come from?

Posted by: Boko999 | February 24, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Quayle & Dahmer: separated at birth.
I noticed Hunter Thompson and the Dalai Lama very similar.

Posted by: Jumper | February 24, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

'Mudge, You compel me to clean the keyboard of pizza bite goo after that last post. Good luck with the bathroom renovation. If you need some virtual help, just holler. Been there, done that, have yet to do it.

Posted by: jack | February 24, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The Montana blog link is wonderful. I'm going to save the link so mr dr can view.

Posted by: dr | February 24, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Just remember what RoseanneRoseannaDanna's mama used
to say: She said, "RoseanneRoseannaDanna, it just goes to show you. If its
not someone standing in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store,
blocking your way so you can't get your grocery cart by their big butts and
a-standin' there talking to their next door neighbor and slowly backin' up
while they're talking so they back right up into your grocery cart and knock
your gallon of milk over so it mashes your loaf of bread, or pushing their
grocery cart down the wrong side of the aisle like they're driving in London
England so you got to pass them on the wrong side and then the store people
have put a little cutsie paper box display full of little chicken seasoning
spice packs right in the aisle and you can't even get by and you don't know
WHAT you're gonna do!,
then it's some guy coming by the house on cocaine and goofballs trying to
beat you up cause he says he "loves you' and you gotta get one of them little
cutsie-wootsie silver plated 22 pistols that look so good with a little
black evenin' gown but you have to spend the grocery money to buy it! So
what the heck are you gonna do?!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 24, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

What are ya gonna do? Well clearly, anonymous 1:35, we're going to nominate a roll of bland corn paste for vice president. Personally, given the current Veep, I feel we could do worse. In fact, the prospect of four bland, pasty years made with corny goodness might just sway me to that ticket. "Cane syrup/Polenta All the Way!"

Help me out here. What's a plausible substitute for "McCain" on our corn paste ticket? I used Cane Syrup as an example, but there must be other foodstuffs. Or we could go the "Mc" route, but that brings us a little close to the Golden Arches.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if anyone checked the local nurseries for bald babies with an affinity for guns and Wild Turkey after the good Doctor blasted off this mortal coil.

Posted by: Boko999 | February 24, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | February 24, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Yiz are all hilarious!

I made the Jasper White Fish Chowdah yestidy, and it was delish. I fohgot to put the smoked pork back in, and I used dried thyme, and I used 2.5 lbs of fish (Do you have ANY idea how expensive haddock is? JeezLouise!). Just before serving, I added a generous dollop of buttah to melt into the soup. Excelente, muy bueno.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

It just goes to show... it's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Never mind.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What hath I wrought?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, what a beautiful day. Wow, I sure do have sympathy for anyone who is stuck in the office today. Man, that would, like, totally bite.

Spent a few hours cutting up a massive branch that fell during the recent ice storm. A lot of work, but a labor of love, for it means fewer leaves and more firewood. Works for me.

It's just the three of us this weekend since my son is in the Florida Keys doing biology. Which, I dearly hope, means looking at cephalopods and stuff. But I'm sure I have nothing to worry about. I mean, it's just a bunch of teenagers in swimwear. What could happen?

But on to the topic at hand. Although I imagine Senator Clinton might question the propriety of such contemplations, it sure is fun to think about who might serve as Obama's running mate.

It seems obvious to me that Clinton herself would be a mistake. Not only would it invalidate the central thesis of Obama's candidacy, it would also be a great big hostility magnet for all those who dearly want to keep The Clintons on the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

A governor would be a logical choice, because such a person could add experience to the ticket without bringing in a lot of DC baggage. As to who might fit the bill? I will leave that to wiser folks.

What I do know is that in the post-Cheney era the role of the Vice President will doubtless get more attention than in years past. Of course, concern on the Dem side is nothing compared to concern on the Republican side. McCain's choice is the one that I will be fascinated to learn.

I'm thinking Nader could be an interesting choice.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 24, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Kinda of an interesting article here

But I wonder how it will do on opening day?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 24, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Greenwithenvy - It's volunteer work like that what brings a manly tear to my eye.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 24, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

See that slyness? RD's link makes Dr. Cox wearing a hard hat at the LHC look downright macho.

Mudge, you ignorant s1ut! (What you hath wrought indeed)

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Now why didn't I think use my bassomatic when I made my fish chowdah yesterday. I know it's around here somewhere...

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Reposted from previous Boodling:

CP, you're welcome on the movie/DVD items, and Mr. and Mrs. Dr. B are really wonderful people (I'd add that Mr. Dr. B. absolutely *rocks*. Literally.). The hootable life of the party? Me?

Mudge, if you can't unload that hot tub, I'd suggest that you fix the pump and mount it in the bed of your pickemup truck. Or bypass the pump and connect it to the truck's cooling system (that'd give it some serious capacity). Think of it as a portable Prince George's party (and quite welcome in Frederick county where I live).

Nader's running again? What about Pat Paulsen and Dr. Spock?

bc

Posted by: bc | February 24, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

We're so old.

:-)

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I had a friend who worked as an usher at Memorial stadium during the 70's when the Orioles were actually good.He enjoyed his job,and got to see most of the home games and got paid for it.

Several years later he and I went to a game and had smuggled in a bottle of rum,well as soon as the National anthem started we stood up and when you get to the first cymbal crash,the rum fell out on smashed on the ground in perfect cue. Now everytime I hear that first cymbal crash of the National anthem I think of that. I don't know why but it always makes me laugh(but I wasn't laughing that day).

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 24, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

That reminds me of the old joke about the old (insert ethnic slur here) man who went into the liquor store (in Boston they're called Package Stores or 'Packies')and bought one of those small flat bottles of whiskey and slipped it into his back pocket.

He left the store in a bit of a hurry, slipped hard on the ice and landed flat on his back.

As he was helped up, he patted his back pocket and said, "I hope to h*ll that's blood I'm feelin'.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd add here:

Don't get me started on polenta.
I grew up eating it and frankly, I love it.

It's Italian mashed potatoes, IMO.

Ate lots of gnocchi and homemade pesto, too. Mmmmm.

On the other hand, I don't really eat those things in resturants, as they're typically disappointing to me. Still, I'm happy to find that some talented cooks still know how to make Italian Soul Food at home, good enough to bring tears to my eyes.

On another note, does any Presidential candidate's Veep/running mate really matter much in terms of the November elections? I mean "matter" in the sense of winning the Iowa Primary "matter." I guess that it does matter somewhat, but it doesn't seem to *really* matter in the larger scheme of things, does it?

Here's a question: Do Veeps on losing tickets get a trophy for participating like in a youth soccer league? They put in a lot of work, blood, sweat and tears, and they get to go home afterwards with the little trophy and a t-shirt ("I ran for Veep and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"), asking themselves if it was worth it.

bc

Posted by: bc | February 24, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Polenta definitely too bland for take off.

Posted by: DNA Girl | February 24, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Nader was on Meet The Press. I couldn't even let up on the fast forward button out of fear of seeing some of that train wreck.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Great link DNA Girl, but kimchi without bacteria just seems so wrong.

We had a high of 40 degrees today. Time for me to run outside before the sun dips any lower and we go back below freezing.

Later gators, and everyone else too.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Heh-lo, Mrs. Loop-ner.

Noogies for everybody!

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

1st Kid:
My old man can beat up your old man

2nd Kid:
How much?

Posted by: Boko999 | February 24, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

bc, what a charming idea. The loser Veep should have a t-shirt, and a trophy which can double as a bookend, and even a medal to hang around the neck. In fact, the winner might also want this package. After the current Veep's usurpation of power, the next one might not get to accomplish much.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

New Kit

Posted by: dmd | February 24, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

According to several polls, McCain would do worse in Minnesota with Pawlenty on the ticket. I don't think this is what you want in a running mate.

Posted by: DouglasG | February 24, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

frostbitten,
Your comments on conservation easements in Minnesota were interesting.

In Florida, private land is off limits unless the owner is slobby enough not to care. Then you get yobs mudbogging in overgrown trucks, dirt biking, etc.

The Minnesota approach sounds more Scandinavian.

I haven't kept up with The Nature Conservancy in Wyoming for a while, but they seem to have been active and productive by concentrating on ensuring that important wildlife/botanical sites are protected one way or another, and (importantly) working on maintaining traditional public access to National Forests. This has been a sore point for years because a number of areas are accessible only through strategically-located patches of public land. A landowner can thus shut off quite a large area of public land unless, of course there's resort to scaling cliffs, walking 50 miles to get in the back way, etc.

Full disclosure--I got to say hello to Cheney when he was my congressman.

Locally, the Dodgers-Reds spring practice game is pretty much sold out.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | February 25, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

The country, indeed, which has not capital sufficient for all those three The extent of the home trade, and of the capital which can be employed in

Posted by: Amhteanda | March 15, 2008 3:32 AM | Report abuse