Obamabots Skewered on Saturday Night Live

[Cross-posted to The Trail.] [Very slow day in the newsroom -- I keep meaning to break a story that will change life as we know it, or at the very least bring down the government, but instead I've mostly tinkered with expense forms and organized my desk.]

Obama-mania has been ripe for parody, and sure enough, "Saturday Night Live" returned from the writers' strike with a skewering of reporters sycophantic in their coverage of Sen. Barack Obama. See it here.

Here's my unofficial transcript of a key part of the skit, when an actor portraying a journalist poses a question to the actor playing Obama:

"Senator Obama -- my God, I'm so nervous. I still can't believe I'm actually talking to you.

"Okay, as you know, uh, Senator, as I explained in the letter that I duct-taped to your front door, and I'm sorry that it went on so long, I just, uh, I really really really really really want you to be the next president, and not just because you're a fantastic human being and the only person that can turn this nation around. But also because, deep down, I really and truly believe that it is destiny that one day you and I will be together. You will become a part of me and I a part of you, joined as one. Does that make sense?

"So my question is, Are you mad at me? I was afraid you might be mad at me because, you know, all the shilling for you in my campaign coverage has been so obvious and because I spend every night sitting in front of your house in a parked car."

Funny stuff. This could be a new, dominant meme of the campaign: Obama mesmerizing the media.

There's no doubt that Obama has had favorable coverage. Some would call it a free ride. The Post's media critic Howard Kurtz wrote last week, "Obama has defied the laws of journalistic gravity, somehow avoiding the usual scrutiny applied to front-runners."

But to some extent the media are reporting what they are seeing. Obama has run a strong campaign, and has a knack for luring 12,000, or 15,000, or 20,000 people to arenas, where they cheer his every utterance. The only person unimpressed with the speeches and big rallies is Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Some reporters have written of their discomfort with what ABC's Jake Tapper called the "cult-ish" quality of some of Obama's support. In a blog item earlier this month headlined "And Obama Wept," Tapper wrote: "The Holy Season of Lent is upon us. Can Obama worshippers try to give up their Helter-Skelter cult-ish qualities for a few weeks?"

Joe Klein of Time also criticized what he called the vague message and "mass messianism" of the Obama campaign: "Rather than focusing on any specific issue or cause -- other than an amorphous desire for change -- the message is becoming dangerously self-referential. The Obama campaign all too often is about how wonderful the Obama campaign is."

And Leon Wieseltier warned last month in the New Republic, "Inspiration without content is a prelude to alienation."

Back to "Saturday Night Live": Mike Huckabee made a cameo appearance in a skit in which he pretended not to get the hint that it was time for him to leave the stage. Prompting even more Internet buzz today was the commentary by Tina Fey, sitting at the Weekend Update desk. It was a mock mini-newscast of "Women's News," which culminated in a full-throated, strident endorsement of Clinton and a defense of women slapped with the b-word label. "It's not too late, Texas and Ohio! Get on board! Bitch is the new black!" Fey said.

"Jeralyn" at the blog TalkLeft writes: "At Fey's first sentence, mentioning that Hillary was running for President, the audience started clapping. They laughed and clapped throughout. Who would have thought, an SNL audience that is not loudly pro-Obama. Maybe there's hope yet."

Via Memeorandum, there's more at Buck Naked Politics.

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 24, 2008; 12:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I've Got Tim Pawlenty Fever!
Next: Scary Night at the Oscars

Comments

Can it be? Me?

Posted by: Kim | February 24, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

first? While I was registering folks at the Canine Experience, I happened to strike up a conversation with the fellow sitting next to me. The talk eventually turned to politics and I was reluctant to engage, as I didn't want to reveal the blue pigmentation that lay beneath my collar, extending to my toenails. It turns out that this fellow was a lifelong Republican, and was tending toward voting for Obama, should he become the Democratic nominee. After an ahooogah moment, I told him that I was surprised, to which he replied that the McCain candidacy smelled too much like the current administration. I said: "Like toe cheese?" He said: " 'xactly" .

Posted by: jack | February 24, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

those snl skits were hilarious. you can can also find the full version of the debate skit (and the others) on youtube.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | February 24, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

i think bill richardson would be a good veep for obama. good foreign policy creds, good exec experience, and help with the latino vote.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | February 24, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Joel? You gonna be here with us tonight for the Oscars?

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

It is my position that a properly tinkered expense report could in itself take down the government. As could a well organized desk.

I agree that Obama hasn't exactly been raked over the coals. And I'm sure we could all come up with both seemly and unseemly reasons for this. But it really doesn't bother me. I don't think good journalism necessarily require tearing someone down.

Besides, as Joel points out, Obamamania is a real phenomenon. Perhaps it is all smoke and mirrors, but there is no doubt that people are excited about politics and optimistic about the future again. And I think that this enthusiasm, in itself, is good for America.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 24, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

L.A. lurker's post about Bill Richardson makes me wonder why Obama and Hillary aren't naming running mates already. it may make a difference for voters in upcoming primaries.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Padouk is right about the beneficial aspect of "Obamamania." It is as much the promise of change as it is the hope inherent in what Gerald Ford said about another administration: "...our long national nightmare is over." The waning days of the Bush regime evoke a sense of wanting to regain legitimate pride, instead of hubris, in being an American.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 24, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

TBG, it's still a bit early in the process for running mates, I think. Let's get closer to a real nomination and then check out VP candidates.

I'm baaack! We had a great time at the beach, ate waaay too much, etc. Most fun was going into a liquor store and checking out all the specialty liqueurs. We saved the shopkeeper from boredom for at least an hour. No talk of politics in this group (we tend to be Democrats anyway, no need to spend time on the subject when we all think alike anyway).

Still backboodling.

Posted by: slyness | February 24, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Can I Oscar-boodle with y'all? #2 promised I could use her laptop. And I've even seen three of the movies nominated!

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

See I originally wrote "Good journalism doesn't necessarily require," but I thought that sounded too assertive so I changed the beginning of the sentence, but I failed to change the "require" to "requires."

This is why copy editors are the unsung heroes of the Republic.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 24, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. I think Joel's done it now.

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

We watched the first five minutes of SNL last night and just didn't find it funny. Of course, I haven't found SNL funny, for the most part, in a very long time. I guess we're just getting old, although I love The Daily Show and Colbert Report when I can stay up late enough, so I don't know. It's nice to see some excitement in the campaign, at least people are interested and envigorated.

I may last for about an hour of the Oscars. I'm interested in the gowns more than the movies because, unfortunately, I don't think we've seen any of them. We do need to get out more. :-)

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | February 24, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Because of events entirely beyond my control, I shall not be viewing The Academy Awards this evening. Instead, I shall be viewing that cinematic classic "Snow Buddies" with my daughter.

And here I went and bought a new blue shoulder bow and everything.

Posted by: RD Padouk | February 24, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

As is my custom, I will be watching the Oscars, sans commercials, tomorrow night, and probably again next weekend. So I guess I won't be boodlin' either this evening...

But here's a contribution to the Oscar vibe, a really cute article by Joel Stein for Time magazine--he invited George Clooney to his house for dinner. And George said yes!

My husband and I both have a crush on George Clooney. There's no shame in it. He's a man's man; he's a lady's man; he's a heck of a guy.

Posted by: kbertocci | February 24, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Good for you RD, although can you get darling dot to watch the fairy tale princess gowns on the runway with you? As a prelude?

Posted by: College Parkian | February 24, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

What channel is (are?) the Oscars on, anyways? Nevermind, I bet the Boy can find it. I may try to join y'all though I doubt I've seen many of the movies. I like the gowns. Of course, if there's a Simpsons on it will come first, and I want to force the Boy to look at his science project tonight (astronomy: the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Oh honey, I said, we have a book you can use!). We saw "Spiderwick Chronicles" today. Good. The special effects were amazing, allowing me to suspend my disbelief entirely and think, what a cute little guy, or gee I'm glad that magic circle stopped those pesky evil goblins, or hey, I'd like a griffin like that.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I believe, without checking my memory for accuracy, that the VP is traditionally announced at the convention, or right before. It just seems that way every convention I've watched. "Dan Quayle who?"

It would be grossly premature to announce now while primaries are yet to be run, because the same person may be "courted" by more than one candidate; it's always a list of people people are talking to, as well as sounding out party approval. It wouldn't be appropriate to announce before the nomination is clinched.

Huckabee at least has a sense of humor. Too bad he doesn't have a sense of science to go with it (sigh).

I've read Obama's platform vs Hillary's and I can honestly say I'm voting for substance. As for working the opposition in the senate, he's already done his share of negotiating in politics.

I do like Bill Richardson, but don't know if he will add voters to Obama's base.

A Republican I know really wanted an Edwards-Richardson ticket, but accepted that Richardson just never caught on in spite of his formidible credentials. I truly hope he will be appointed to the cabinet at the very minimum, if not veep, and I bet both Clinton and Obama are talking to him very carefully.

Posted by: Wilbrod | February 24, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

what a rack on Obamagirl!

Posted by: Spectator2 | February 24, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm.

"The Obama Wives?"
Nah.
"Obamaniacs?"
Mmmm. Maybe.
"Obama's Army"
Eh, not what I'm looking for...

"Obamanatics."

Hmm. I like it.

bc

Posted by: bc | February 24, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Kb, each to their taste.

I'm probably too young for George Clooney. I do remember him from E.R. and I thought he was too consciously cute. (So was Noah Wyle, come to think of it... that really grated on me after a few years and I quit watching.). I hear he's become this movie star, but I haven't seen anything he's been in; he picks movies I have no particular desire to watch.

As regards E.R. Now, that Goran Visnjic...

Posted by: Wilbrod | February 24, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Karen, for the Joel Stein interview with George Clooney. I've never thought much about him, but this humanizing article changed my perception. When the smoke detector malfunctioned and Clooney said "It either needs batteries, or we have six seconds to live," I had a ROFL epiphany about Clooney as a real person.

Posted by: Shiloh | February 24, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

kb... thanks for posting the link to the George Clooney article. I fell in LOVE with him when I saw O Brother Where Art Thou? and saw him not afraid to look like a fool. That's one of the sexiest traits I think there is. (Have you met my husband?)

The TV is still on the UNC/Wake Forest game. When it's over, I'll be able to switch to the Oscars. In the meantime, I'll be counting on all of you here to keep me well informed.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

The devil made me do it. I'm watching the Red Carpet show. I think that the T&V turned itself on and tuned to ABC while I was reading the Times Book Review.

What's going on with that green dress at the other end of the red carpet? It looks like a baaaad case of VPL.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Or a good case of VPL-- depends on whom you ask. Busy working on a painting where I'm playing with texture, texture so it means a lot of layering.

No VPLs in there, though; maybe I should consider painting that in on the Saturn-like planet.

Posted by: Wilbrod | February 24, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey, gang, checking in. *whew* My Internet's been down all afternoon up until a few minutes ago--I though I was gonna miss the Big Show. (And if I suddenly go quiet tonight, blame it on *&^%$#@(*&^%##&^%$#@*&^&%^^%^^ Comcast.)

Hmm. A hot tub in the back of my pickup...bc, you may have put me onto something. (Did you see that Nascar wreck? We nearly had a flambe there for a few minutes.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, the Obamabots actually make me LESS optimistic about the future of our country....

Posted by: Kelly Kyle | February 24, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Sniff, am I the only boodler remaining true to the teacupalooza? Will someone let me know the winner for best score?

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I confess that I can't stand Regis. He seems like a first class phony. John Travolta's hair looked sprayed on. Daniel Day Lewis's wife's dress (too many apostrophes and probably all wrong!), looked like she decorated it with leftover gift bows - ugh. I may just watch John Stewart's opening and then quit.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | February 24, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Somebody tell me again--what are the academy awards?

Posted by: MedallionOfFerret | February 24, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Jon Stewart's playing our stripper name game....

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

We interrupt your regularly scheduled Boodling for a blatant request for homework aid: ScienceTim et al., the Boy is doing a project on the questions surrounding the possiblity of extraterrestrial life. I've handed him a copy of "Captured by Aliens" and directed him to the NASA home page, with attention to the entries on "extraterrestrial intelligence". Any recommendations for other reliable Web sources? Thank you.

Please return to your discussion of Oscar evening wear, Obamaniacs, and the nomination of bland corn paste.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow! The first Oscar of the night went to Dame Edna!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

And the animation award goes to Big Bird!

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Now that's what I call a red dress.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom,

Search also on exobiology, which is the technical field that considers this question.

Try that at NASA. Also, a bet a web exhibit on Carl Sagan would be helpful, too.

Teacupaloozing, too Frosti. Missing out on misplaced shoulder bows or spider-web silk fabric on very pregnant star-bellies....

"Oh, the starbellied sneethes had stars upon thars and the plain bellied sneetches had none..."

Posted by: College Parkian | February 24, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Kathryn Heigl has a shoulder hole. She still looks fabulous.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Since I just turned it on, I apparently have missed the memo about the red dresses. Is this a theme?

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Since I watched way too much pre-Oscar show - I can tell you that Heidi Klum is auctioning her Red dress for the Heart & Stroke foundation - not sure about the other red dresses.

Posted by: dmd | February 24, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Who ever it was who sang that song was just awful, IMHO. Though in her defense, she said earlier that she was nervous.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

But Maggie, if you saw the movie Enchanted you'd understand better why she was nervous singing that song. In the movie she sings it while cleaning a NYC apartment with a multitude of birds, animals and rodents. Very cute and very funny.

I had no idea it was really her singing, so I was impressed just now.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

It seemed like it would be a hard song to sing, but not being a singer, I could be wrong.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | February 24, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

TBG, you're right. I didn't see Enchanted. In fact, I've only seen Atonement and Michael Clayton, of all the nominated ones.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't get to the theatre anymore, thus, I know nothing about the Oscar nominations. I do know that Juno, the lead actress and Jennifer Garner are up for at least two nominations. I hope at least one award goes that way. I miss Alias.

Posted by: jack | February 24, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, college parkian. Notes have been made.

MedallionofFerret, the academy awards are secret awards given annually by the elite universities to honor those graduates who have done the most to run the country from behind the scenes in that year. Special points are given for economic disaster resulting in corporate profits, warfare the same. A separate award goes each year to the graduate who has done the most to ignore or actively suppress the Bill of Rights in the service of the elite. This is all camouflaged by the presence of movie stars. Particular attention is paid to beautiful women in lavish gowns and jewelry. I'm not supposed to tell you any of this; they'll probably send the elite goons after me any time now. Good thing I'm writing under a pseudonym.

Where's my bridge?

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

What? there are movie awards on during NASCAR caution light comericals?

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I've got a big pot of lima beans simmering with smoked pig neck bones on to see if we can stay awake to see who won the oscar for a movie we did not see.

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, you promised not to tell.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

In honor of movies tonight, let me introduce you to the Wilhelm Scream.

During the next commercial, read the post below and make sure to watch the YouTube video referenced at the end under "Further Info."

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

CP-Mr. F has a Sneetches lithograph in his office where many have an "I love me" homage. It's a reminder that badges don't make the soldier.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

OMG... she didn't even get dressed tonight!

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Or comb her hair... or put on makeup...

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

What can I say, Mudge? he sweet-talked me - offered me polenta - sold me a bridge!

I'll try and watch the pretty dresses now.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh TBG! My EXACT words on Tilda!

But she gave a good speech.

Posted by: nellie | February 24, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Tilda Swinton was talking about George Clooney's Bat-Nipples.

I didn't expect that.

Been watching the Oscars off and on - and yes, Mudge I did see that near-NASCAR flambe.

Been meaning to see "Enchanted," the kids saw it without me, I may never get a chance to see it now...

bc

Posted by: bc | February 24, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Gee, now I gotta go see "The Bourne Ultimatum"--it apparently has really great sound.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

WOW~! I just looked at the TV in time to see two fuzzy headed guys to give an oscar for the best screaching tire sound. BC, could you believe it?

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Marion Cottilliard--interesting. I figured Kate Blanchett, but she's done so many Elizabeths I think maybe people write her off. That one was a really tough category.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Colin Farrell is hot, hot, hot.

Did you notice that he and Nathan Lane have the same eyebrows?

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I can't see the TV now but the so called music coming for the from room souds like a swedish funeral

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, IMom--sorry about the risk to your corporeal existence. Sortofa Nobel ceremony for hotties, huh?

Posted by: MedallionOfFerret | February 24, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

SCC//Sounds//

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Now what is Nicklson interdusing? bad, bad sounds coming from the living room.

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying we're not movie goers at Chez Frostbitten but I just realized Forrest Gump was the first movie Mr. F and I ever saw together. We'd been married almost 2 years by then, together for 4.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Christopher Rouse, according to his imdb page...

The son of an accomplished screen duo: the late writer, director and producer, Russell Rouse and the towering blonde actress Beverly Michaels, star of cult films noir "Wicked Woman" and "Pick- Up".

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the collagen injections have reached their natural apex, the audience looks like it's full of Bratz dolls.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we saw it until it was on TV.

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

After painting some truly dreadful VPLs on planets, I'm watching the teacupalooza.

Don't feel bad, Frosti, and thanks for the tip-off.

Posted by: Wilbrod | February 24, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Just got off the phone with Frostdottir. Realized I have to make a conference call in the morning. Three-way calling is not included on our land line and I've never done it from my cell phone. When in doubt with a cell phone question call the 18yo female. Doesn't matter what service provider or phone model, she knows "phone theory." Now I'm set, except for the unreliable signal. Guess I'll be calling from the front porch.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

from NASCAR to front porch cell phone calling

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, me too, TBG. Is it me, or is this thing dragging?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Was Enchanted the only musical this year?

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

bc, who won the NASCAR race?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's dragging. This has to be the worst song ever, although it's well sung. I guess I'll have to see Enchanted.... no, on second thought, I'll see it On Demand.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Where is bc when we need him? Will they call the race? Don't the haulers have to get on to the next place? Will it rain in Southern Califorina tomorrow? What about all the auto mechanics that have to be at Oil Stop tommrow?

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Apparently not!

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

The folk who set this up provide time for these huge musical productions of unknown songs, and hustle the people who would like to say "thanks" off in about 30 seconds.

Meaning they think the TV audience can't handle a few long-winded odd balls, but like bad music?

I object!

Posted by: nellie | February 24, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

On third thought, I guess I won't bother.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | February 24, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Enchanted is a very cute movie, Maggie. I really enjoyed it.

But thank goodness the musical performances are finally over.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

When do you think someone will wipe out on that slippery floor near Jon Stewart's podium?

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I say YEAH!!!! for SNL this week. The show was absolutly awesome! It is about time someone stood up for what the media has done running this campaign. I say to TEXAS and OHIO It's Not To Late!!!! Make a difference in this election. Stand up for intelligence and experience - Vote for HILLARY!!! Show arrogrant Obama he doesn't say when it is over. Hillary would be the better choice. That is why all the republicans want Obama to win. They will somehow pull the rug out from beneath him and we will end up with 4 more years of Bushies in the white house.

Posted by: anxious08 | February 24, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I think Cameron Diaz looks great in that dress, but year after year her hair looks like she chews the ends.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Jeeese when you think they are done playing bad music some more comes on!
Dowen to bed after putting the lima beans away.

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Boodle, I can't keep my eyes open any longer, and I've got a dr. appt. first thing in the morning. See you all around noon tomorrow.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 24, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

SCC,downed

Posted by: bh | February 24, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I'm going to the diet coke site for my chance to win Heidi Klum's red dress. Just my size, but I'm afraid about how it'll make my hips look.

Posted by: jack | February 24, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, they stopped the NASCAR race again due to rain, don't think they even made it to halfway yet. At the rate they're going, they should get the race completeted by, oh, maybe Easter. I think Gordon and Johnson were out front at the time they threw this latest red flag FWIW.

Hey, I like the bit where members of the US Armed Forces read the Oscar Nominees and winner live (I think) from Baghdad.

bc

Posted by: bc | February 24, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I personally think Clinton could have been considered to be the cocksure one. I'm voting based on their own proposed platforms. Here are three issues in which I compare McCain, Obama, and Clinton.

As for the Obamabots-- some staunch Democrats are nutcases. Nothing new about that. A lot could be said about some Clintonites that I've met, as well.

The same is true in the Republican party-- Ron Paul got some solid votes from the fringe and from some moderates as a protest against the front-runner candidates.

Ultimately, we must put our trust in our best judgment when we vote. All I know is that any of them would be better for the issues I am concerned with than Bush is, and this is case for rejoicing.

The question is, in which areas will they be decidely superior? In which areas may they fail to soar once president?

Hillary fails in clear communication of her agenda, in showing she's thought out the legislation she'd support and sign in law; she fails to display a clear understanding of the issues I am concerned about.

Also, she shows a consistent pattern of supporting mandates to achieve goals, rather than thinking out guidelines to prevent twisting of the laws and cheating. She also has a pattern of secrecy and not inviting public consensus on her agendas.

This probably is OK in corporate law, since you have oversight of your employees and can enforce in contracts, but it's a horrible way to run a country made up of free citizens, all with diverse political opinion and interests.

Those agenda, which we MUST recognize are often quite valid for their area and situation. Somebody in the inner city can be for gun control, somebody in hunt country can be totally against it. They both have very good reasons. You can't apply a national mandate to solve problems in one without harming the other.

Just look at No Child Left Behind-- which Hillary voted for. This has hurt rural schools. This has hurt special education. This has channeled profits to Bush supporters who happen to own educational testing companies.

I'm sure she'll do things for the best interest of Americans. The means in which she would do it, scares me. Because of the Clintons' downsizing governments and contracting out so much more-- which was good when they were in charge-- but bad when a president in charge gets to channel money to contractors who are political contributors.

Thanks to the Clintons, we're stuck with paying billions to Halliburton, who allows rape and other cruelties to their employees go rampant in Iraq, while our well-disciplined and patriotic soliders go without essential gear and funds.

No. Hillary Clinton's style of government scares me, even if I agree with much of her platform. I'm much more impressed with how Obama has approached problem-solving in his political career.

Posted by: Wilbrod | February 24, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Toodles boodle, I may be awake for best picture, or the sleep timer may turn the tv off for me. Either way, I'm too pooped to stay vertical.

Fondue.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 24, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Diablo Cody for best screenplay for Juno!

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow... the movie Juno makes a lot more sense now that I've seen the screenwriter.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Re: Objections & 3rd thoughts

Cabin fever has ravaged all aboard
This once proud vessel has become a floating psycho ward
We were sailing, sailing headed who knows where
And now though we're all here
We're not all there

[plagiarized from Jack, reproduced wholly without permission]

Posted by: MedallionOfFerret | February 24, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Cabin fever!!! Yeahhhh!

Posted by: jack | February 24, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope they cast Eugene Levy to appear in The Martin Scorsese Story someday.

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

The Coen brothers rule. G'night all!

Posted by: TBG | February 24, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

They do indeed, TBG.

Been a fan of theirs since "Blood Simple," way back when.

bc

Posted by: bc | February 24, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I see NASA's reviving plans for radio telescopes on the far side of the moon:

In space, no one can hear me scream, and they're going to make darn sure it stays that way.

In the name of science, of course.

bc

Posted by: bc | February 25, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Why don't these people who have lots of assistants and money and help --- look at how they look?

Dakota Cody must have bought her gown at WalMart, it seemed to be a nightgown. And Jennifer Huston put on that white dress and did not look in the mirror. There are all kinds of helpful dressers out there --- Tim Gunn comes to mind. WHY do these people not pay attention?

If I were in the public eye, I would sure as heck get someone to help me dress!

Posted by: nellie | February 25, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Well, nellie, east coast boodlers have all gone to bed, so I'm depending on you to tell me if George Clooney win anything.

Posted by: rainforest | February 25, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, rainforest!

No, George only got to look lovely. If you want to see the winners, you can go to IMDB.com. They have it all.

Posted by: nellie | February 25, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

l.a. times also has a winners' list:

i've seen only one of the films that was in the running this year: ratatouille

Posted by: L.A. lurker | February 25, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Ratatouille will be remembered when the movie that the NY Times briefly headlined "Old Country for Old Men" is more or less forgotten.

*yawn* (restless leg syndrome combined with being driven nuts by evacuating the old computer/ setting up the new computer).

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | February 25, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

good morning, friends. mudge, hope everything went well at the doctor's appointment.

have a lot going on this morning. one of my church members is in icu following a heart attack the weekend. a family member in the hospital because they can't keep him awake. and my nephew has moved to atlanta, which may not be a bad thing, just worried about him so far from home.

did not catch snl and all those antics. as for the media and obama, i'm pretty sure they will rectify anything lacking in their coverage of him, be it positive or negative. it probably will get down and dirty, as it does for most candidates.

hope your weekend was good, and the weather a part of that good.

slyness, glad you enjoyed yourself. scotty the same thing for you. martooni, where are you? good morning to all.*waving*

did not see the oscars. just hard to watch people swooning over themselves, and the media handpicking their gods and then trying to do it with a serious face. i guess the word i'm looking for is legitimacy? love movies, just can't go to the movies.

have a great day, folks.

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

went back and read the last kit.

what is polenta? from the descriptions, it's sounding an awful lot like, grits?

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Morning Cassandra.

Thanks nellie for the report and L.A.lurker for the link. I'm disappointed George Clooney didn't win the Best Actor award.

Posted by: rainforest | February 25, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Morning all. Yes, Cassandra, polenta is like grits, with a finer texture. Great stuff.

I'm glad everybody enjoyed the Oscars. I was too tired to watch, myself, and went to bed at a reasonable hour.

Happy Monday, everybody!

Posted by: slyness | February 25, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Last night, the silhouette of the evening was the mermaid tail and train.

Helen Mirren's dress was the best; I particularly liked the utterly perfect silver gilt bolero sleeve piece.

TBG -- I laughed at your reaction to Diablo's presentation of her authentic self! Was this the first VCT, visible cartoonish tattoo, in an award's ceremony?

Posted by: College Parkian | February 25, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

My link yesterday to Tina Fey on SNL is already bad, but I found the official NBC video of it and embedded it in my blog. But my YouTubing led me to a video with Tina and a certain large-lipped cooking show host which led to some impure thoughts on my part and one thing led to another, and well, here's the link to the blogpost, but it's not for the faint of heart, but perhaps lovers of costume dramas may find some redeeming value:

Click at your own risk. Video intensive post for those at work, but perfectly safe otherwise.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Off to Montana. Will post something later today.

Just for the record, I thought the Oscars weren't so bad but it helped using the DVR function and fast-forwarding during commercials and boring awards.

Can't wait to read Booth/Stuever on the Oscar parties.

Posted by: Achenbach | February 25, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Clinton or Obama have tatoos? Probably not, but wouldn't it to be fun if they did?

We watched The Bourne Ultimatum on dvd just this past week, it won three oscars. The thing about that movie was that there was no profanity, it was rated pg13 for violence, tho. Good music.

The only other movie I had seen was Charlie Wilson's war, pretty good.

Like some, I love to see the glitz and the glamour of the awards. And Jack Nicholson's diabolical grin. Love all the old pics of the actors of previous years, it jogs my memory. Katherine & Audbrey Hepburn. I don't recall seeing a clip of Gary Cooper last night, tho.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 25, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

*Audrey Hepburn*

Posted by: Vintage Lady | February 25, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The lack of the Vanity Fair party was mentioned.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 25, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Vintage L,

NO VFP? The initials are like VPL.

Visible french panty?
Visable faux panty

When I return from class for office hours, to which no student shall arrive, I can enjoy YJ's video posts AND hear about the gown and haircut and facial hair deconstruction of said personages of the Oscar's fete.

Frosti and others, you may proceed. Why do politics when we can deconstruct the arrangement of fabric and placement of tattos....etc.

Posted by: College Parkian | February 25, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I set the DVR to the Oscars and then surfed until about 9:45 or whenever the best supporting actress got awarded. We then watched the awards from the start, skipping any commercials and acceptance speeches that didn't involve famous people. The DVR caught up with the live broadcast right at the ending credits. Perfect timing on my part since it was the first time in recent memory the Oscars ended before midnight.

My take on Stewart was he avoided the Chris Rock disaster by turning the fawning obsequiousness up to eleven. And the time he let that Romanian folk singer gal back on stage to give her speech was touching. What a great moment.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

VFP: Vanity Fair Party not Vermilion Ferret Panties.

But you knew that.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Drive by boodling, and can't find my watch. This is going to be a bad day.

I am sooooo tired of media outlets grasping at straws to put a local connection on every news story. In Minnesota they are trumpeting "Former MN resident Diablo Cody wins Oscar," in Tampa it's "Former exotic dancer Diablo Cody won best original screenplay for 'Juno'." (pictured here, with a good view of the tat)

MPR just mentioned she's written a book "about her days as a stripper." (points for frankness)

See y'all this evening.

Posted by: frostbitten | February 25, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Well, the post is perfectly safe as long as the "b" word is acceptable. Hillary needs to accept her inner "b" and jujitsu a weakness into a strength.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Where in Tampa did Cody "dance"? Just prurient local interest on my part. Maybe I better just get the book.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I guess my earlier comment may sound like I'm dishing the Oscars. Not so. Just don't have the stamina to watch, just fall asleep. And I don't believe it is taboo for those that do enjoy it.

I was just thinking this morning how we are all shaped by our environment, and in the things that we allow. My environment and roots find some things frivolous, and without foundation, I guess. Others come from places and thinking that find my take on stuff fairy tale and not really dealing with reality. And somewhere in there we have to find a way to get along. I'm not talking about Oscars or any of that, it's that we live in different worlds, and under certain conditions, it becomes painfully obvious.

And sometimes because we reject certain situations or norms, we are considered rebels or worse, depressed and not with it. Still not talking about the Oscars. I guess it is just life this morning that has me around the neck, and won't let go. I don't want life to let go, but it can get bumpy at times.

Oh, but for the power of prayer. If it wasn't for Sweet Jesus, I just might lay down, and refuse to get back up.

Finished with the pity party. Move along, nothing to see here.

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Here's another good photo of Diablo's tatt.

Enough boodle hogging. Everybody else must have Oscar party hangovers this morning.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

What's your google ad this moring?

This is mine.

Barack Obama Biography

Barak Obama: Yes or No

2008 Obama Buttons

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

moring-morning

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Booth and Stuever wrote separate articles.

Some kind of pressroom quarrel we need insider gossip on? Joel?

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I see that "There Will Be Blood and Bad Haircuts for Old Country Men" won all the awards last night, and all the American actors gave Oscars to foreign actors.

Arbusto's foreign policy failure is now complete.

bc

Posted by: bc | February 25, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

JA, what does Montana look like? Snow covered fields or hills and mountains. Does the air smell clean and fresh or is there a hint of corporate musk? And what about the people? Do they look happy, really happy or is it a look of endurance. Would they look out of place in say, maybe, Florida? If you, JA, were given a choice of living in the District of Columbia or Montana, would Montana get the nod?

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

CP

Well, I knew I had read/heard it somewhere earlier this month.

humm VFP = Violet Fripperey Posse

Posted by: VintageLady | February 25, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

bc, I don't know if I should have laughed at that last sentence in your comment, but I certainly did. And I'm still laughing. Where, oh, where, did that come from?

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

morning, Vintage Lady.

I'm not usually here this late in the morning, but putting off what I have to do, so I can hang around a little longer.

I hope you're enjoying the Achenblog.

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Well, I see the slaughter has been done, as in killing the boodle.

Time to go. No need to stay, and turn the knife. Hit and run works for me.

Posted by: cassandra s | February 25, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The local OtherBigBoxOfMovies in my neighborhood is having a going out of business sale and my wife picked up La Vie Rose for a song earlier in the week. Her father had a huge Edith Piaf/Barry Sadler fixation. That's what happens when you're a Basque Green Beret.

Now we have an award winning performance to watch. Oscar Winning French Chick (OWFC) was also the front page photo of the dead tree edition.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"Off to Montana" isn't terribly informative, except that JA must be doing politics, so he's likely off to someplace with a lot of voters. Maybe Billings, a mini-Denver where a local hotel once called its twelve-story edifice the "Big Sky Scraper". Or Helena, where The Nature Conservancy's office was once located on Last Chance Gulch (no longer, alas). I doubt that it'll be a High Line town like Havre.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | February 25, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Once, when living in Wyoming, I brought baked grits to a dinner. The hostess, a northern California northern Italian, had nice things to say about the polenta. That was the first time I heard of polenta. That's how I learned about polenta.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | February 25, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Boss remembered to pack his zircon encrusted tweezers.

Posted by: Boko999 | February 25, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The boodle is "of this world", for sure, for sure, as opposed to being otherworldly. Cassandra.

Last night my husband and I were talking about Hilary's latest outburst, and so I'm wondering about the Democratic party regulars. Does she think that knocking them for their support for Barack is going to endear them to her? It makes no sense to me. Husband says she's desperate, but I dunno. Seems rather stupid, and she is anything but stupid.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 25, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I'm glad to give you a laugh this morning, and that line *was* intended to be funny.

At the risk of explaining a joke and reducing something moderately amusing to a pile of ashes, I was thinking of a line from the movie "Return of the Jedi" when I typed that line.

Don't ask me to explain why that popped into my head. Even I'm bewildered by what goes on in there. Or *here*, depending on my relative perspective and location in spacetime (i.e. either in or out of my everlovin' mind).

bc

Posted by: bc | February 25, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Hillary needs to send Tina Fey out on the campaign trail for her. B1tch is the new black, baby!

I reminds me of one of the few real fights Son of G and I have had. He was a freshman in high school, I think--maybe a year younger. At one point he told me that I was "a b1tch 98% of the time!" After we had calmed down, worked out our differences and were out having a nice lunch together (this is how we fight in my family--it is excellent), I asked him if that was true.

"No," he told me. "I guess you're only one about 33% of the time."

I told him that was good--it means I'm doing my job.

Posted by: TBG | February 25, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

bc,
Bravo. Combining Oscar coverage with politics through a Star Wars quote. Impressive, most impressive.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Bad Haricuts for Old Country Men instantly made me think of the gents on coffee row, when I worked at the local greasy spoon in my youth. It could have been comb over central but was not by virtue of a barber with a short bowl.

Montana. I'd pick Montana every time if it was a choice between Montana and DC. DC might be nice, but Montana is well, air and space. Except Joel should be careful of barbers and haircuts in Montana. I suspect it is a lot like Saskatchewan and Alberta in that respect.

Posted by: dr | February 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

SCCs in my 10:22 are self-evident, but warrant plucking my eyebrows rather than my eyes in their entirety.

VintageLady, I think that Hillary's advisors are encouraging her to separate herself from Obama at this point. If she wants to win this nomination, she's going to have to wrest momentum away from him by pointing out his shortcomings and flaws, and jumping on his mistakes. All of the momentum seems to be swinging Obama's way at this time; the media, the money, the popular support, etc.

I think they view that as the best option for her at this point, unfortunately. She's "all in" for this game, invested everything she's got, and she's not going to give up without a fight. So, the gloves may be coming off for Ohio and Texas...

bc

Posted by: bc | February 25, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Daughter and I kept referring back to the excellent SNL skit "There Will be Milkshakes for Old Men"

"I've abandoned my son! Oh... there you are!"

Posted by: TBG | February 25, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Happy Monday!

The dog photographer came out yesterday and took hundreds of shots. The proofs are great. I told her if she wanted to use any on her website to go ahead, and three(!) of them are up today. Emma is ready to accept her award.

Posted by: dbG | February 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Wyoming is to Montana as Washington is to Oregon: an income-tax-free state adjacent to a sales-tax-free state. So Vancouver (Wa.) people shop in Portland and folks from Cody and Sheridan migrate to Billings on Saturdays. So does much of south-central Montana.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | February 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Ah, didn't realize it would go to the filmstrip instead of the actual picture.

In 2356, Emma is the 2nd one in, violet neckerchief.

In 1445, Cutter is the first frame, at the top of the stairs.

In 1451, they're in the same picture, a few frames in. Emma's in front sitting, Cutter is in the background, lying down.

Posted by: dbG | February 25, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Love the picture on the stairs dbG.

Posted by: dmd | February 25, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Good pictures dbG. It's difficult to take pictures of a balck lab that does not turn into a black blob against the background. Especially in the snow.
In addition, the Giant Ancient Black Lab is convinced that cameras steal the souls of good dogs. He always look shifty and nervous unless he is sleeping.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | February 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh, dbG, what wonderful pictures! With faces like those, are you ever able to say "no" to those two?

Posted by: Raysmom | February 25, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Those semi-colon lovers are everywhere.

Harumph!

Posted by: yellojkt | February 25, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

New Kit--->

Posted by: omni | February 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The genetics unit has commenced. Here's some stuff that you can use as cocktail party banter:

10k BC agriculture invented; 10k BC, dogs domesticated; 9k-7k BC sheep, cattle and hogs domesticated; 4k BC, draft animals; 3k BC, horses and cats; 3k-1.5k BC, camels; 2k BC, elephants and poultry; 1k BC, rabbits; 1400 AD, turkeys; late 18th centure/early 19th cent., ostrich; 1851, modern apiaries (beekeeping known since 5k BC); 1930, domestication of hamsters.

Like any of this is REALLY important.

Posted by: jack | February 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Look, the reality is that the vast majority of Americans, who support Obama, can take a joke.

We loved SNL last night - and quite frankly the SNL news anchors endorsement of Sen Clinton is what she should be saying - but she won't.

And we love to make fun of ourselves too - it was a thrill to watch the opening, it was very funny!

And I think Gov Huckabee helped himself a lot by doing what he did on SNL.

You guys are seriously humor-impaired in the MSM. Get a life.

Posted by: WillSeattle | February 25, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight: the press is 95% Dem (it's been measured) _but_ they respond with high dudgeon when anti-GOP bias is alleged. YET claims that they are biased towards _a black guy_ are swallowed whole. But when Rush Limbaugh claimed the same about Donovan McNabb, he was called wrong (and everything but a child of God). Whatever. NBC sure wasn't biased towards Obama -- the open parroted the Clinton "I'm not being treated fairly" whine _and_ she got an extended commercial from Tina Fey (the Fairness Doctrine is dead as Dillinger).

The Obabma press-bias line is a convenient myth Clintonites like to spout to get the focus off their inept campaign, nothing more.

Posted by: RL | February 26, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Google: "Obama screamed at me"

to get some info on his background

Posted by: JaimeC | March 2, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse