The Legacy of MLK

Memphis 40 years on: Check out the great column this morning by Gene Robinson, plus an in-depth look at the real MLK by Kevin Merida. The latter shows how we sanitize (for your protection) the images of our icons, though I guess that's the nature of iconography. Complexity is sacrificed as the individual is distilled to little more than a slogan. Look what we did to Thomas Jefferson. And JFK. One caveat to Gene's column: MLK would be heartened by the racial progress in this country until he read the comments that typically get appended to any story or column online dealing even tangentially with race.

Lots more on MLK at The Root.

McCain to give MLK speech in Memphis today. [more to come]

Another possible career move for aging reporters. Via Arts & Letters Daily.

Geek that I am, I'm really digging [note Aging Hippie vocabulary] Eric Roston's "The Carbon Age," which is all about the element carbon, and how our entire universe, and life itself, and certainly the world of energy and climate change [and carbonated beverages!!!], are elaborations of this unusual atom. It hasn't been published yet (got a galley in the mail) so I'll write more when it's on the market. Roston's premise: "the fastest way to learn the most about the world is through the carbon atom."

He has a terrific quote from someone named Peter Atkins: "Carbon's kingliness as an element stems from its mediocrity: it does most things, and it does nothing to extremes, yet by virtue of that moderation it dominates nature."

(Coincidentally this has been my career strategy.)

Pregnant man story: Nothin' but readers. We need more stories like this. [And this.] [Let's just go tab and be done with it.]

Question: Why have I never been invited to join the Press Club? Not that I would.

By Joel Achenbach  |  April 4, 2008; 8:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Next Big Career Move [Updated] [Again!]
Next: My School is Not a Battlefield

Comments

GOOD STRATEGY

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you can write a blurb for the book jacket, Joel. After all, you are a noted author, colyumnist, blogger and consumer of carbon-based products such as beer, five-meat chili, and many species of legumes as well as cruciferae. Plus you've used a carbon-based pencil from time to time.

Yes, the Merida piece was especially good. And I got verklempt on the last page of it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

As I recall, we got into an interesting discussion about Carbon some months ago in conjunction with "weird life."

Carbon really is a unique element. Its chemical properties are so complex, and the number of structures it supports so numerous that my organic chemistry teacher used to claim that the periodic table for his line of work consisted of nothing but a huge letter "C."

That both graphite and diamonds are both composed of pure carbon is one of those chemistry facts that has never ceased to impress me.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

If you decide to follow Rupert Smith, Joel, please keep it a secret. There are some things we just don't need to know.

Posted by: slyness | April 4, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found that Arts and Letters Daily link oddly relevant. Rumor has it that legitimate high fashion photographers have been known to supplement their income by taking, you know, *those* kinds of pictures. There's an entire economy out there that just isn't discussed in polite company.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget carbon nanotubes, RDP...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

This is worth a repost then:

Mahalia Jackson sings King's favorite hymn: Take My hand, Precious Lord

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

That we idolize icons is no surprise. For when individuals get hopelessly associated with a given cause it is nearly impossible to criticize the individual without besmirching the underlying cause. Just ask anyone who has written a nasty article about Jerry Lewis.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Scotty - or buckyballs!

Which, by the way, has *nothing* to do with, oh heck, check it out here:

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

What am I, Chopped Liver???

Posted by: NaCl | April 4, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Whoa - now we've got some "salty" language on the boodle.

Hahaha ha ha ha.

I think it's time I got some lunch.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Um, just so no one makes any mistake about it, that is an 'el' not an 'eye' in the 11:15 AM Posted by: NaCl

Kurlansky is a great read...

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Good MLK columns today.

I am woefully behind on following links, etc, but I heard this on NPR yesterday and thought it was great:
Fifth-grader corrects Smithsonian timeline.

Posted by: mostlylurking | April 4, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I thought carbon was important because it's well connected.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 4, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Iraq is a corpse. "King David" and Ryan Crocker will come to D.C. next week to put rouge on the corpse. Petraeus will probably seek a position with NATO when his command ends. Crocker already has submitted his retirement papers to closely coincide with the end of the Bush administration--roughly year's end.

Repub operatives are already planning an extremely dirty presidential campaign against Obama--collecting pictures of Obama in a mosque, for example--misusing the themes of race and Obama's Muslim connection. (So much for McCain's speech in Memphis today?)

Democratic presidential contenders should focus less on an exit strategy from Iraq and more on the morality of fixing a country so terribly broken--including the massive refugee problem (that we created) in countries that neighbor Iraq.

Widely held knowledge that Americans troops in Iraq have a drug use--or abuse--problem. Two or three Ambien to get to sleep, then Zoloft as uppers to counter the Ambien. (Ricks written about this?) Iraqis see American forces as just another militia, similar to their own factions and militias--only Americans are better equipped.

Neighborhoods in Iraq have been ethnically cleansed. Iraqis just biding their time until the Sunnis and Shiites have a real go at wiping out the other side. The whole situation vis-a-vis our involvement reminiscent of a Mel Brooks comedy. Ample comparisons between Vietnam and Iraq: rural, uneducated kids forming troops responsible for conduct at My Lai and Abu Ghraib (higher-ups knew).

Little aggressive media coverage of govrnment gone wrong these days. Newspaper editors are mice on the path to becoming rats.

--some of the remarks made by Sy Hersh at our Trinity University last night. He was very talkative, speaking for 90 minutes.

Hersh said that he will appear with at some event (or panel) with Washington Post's Dana Priest next week..wonder what?

Story of Hersh's appearance buried at the bottom of our B3, the ink going on B1 to a talk yesterday by Scalia at St. Mary's, the Supreme also in the area for a turkey hunt.

Posted by: Loomis | April 4, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

It's very tense here. Nothing agrees.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 4, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Shooting turkeys in Texas must be like shooting fish in a barrel. Too bad Cheney's not on that turkey hunt with Scalia. What could go wrong?

Posted by: Boko999 | April 4, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Just keep them out of Austin.

Austin Motto: "Keep Austin Weird"

We'd all fit in there.

Hey Dreamer!

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Any element on the Periodic Table that goes into the construction of alcoholic beverages and other food groups is okey-dokey in my book. It's those weird elements like molybdenum, arsenic, kryptonite, uranium, plutonium, vegamite, corbomite and Mianusium that I'll have no truck with.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Have also been meaning to mention Bill Moyers' interview with Fred Harris, who was on the Kerner Commission:

Posted by: mostlylurking | April 4, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Boko, you've been misled by the MSM, man. Carbon has been decaying for years.

Posted by: SonofCarl | April 4, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I was just thinking about the Periodic Table this morning on my way to work, funny thing (I will spare you the whole train of thought that led to this.) I was thinking, in my typical left-brain fashion, about how to spell names using the chemical symbols. The best I could come up with was to imagine "Potassium Beryllium" as my code name. I guess if I had used that in the boodle it wouldn't have taken long before somebody figured it out.

Posted by: kbertocci | April 4, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Interesting use of background in this picture...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Over on the op-ed page, words cannot convey how anxious I am to read Charles Krauthammer's thoughts on Barack Obama. Rude body noises, perhaps; words, no.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Here's a sad tale (it's the part that isn't written that is sad. If this is true, it has been supressed, and if it's not true, it's still sad) It's the only remnant on the web of a most peculiar type of steel incorporating fullerenes. Someone else read it just so I can say someone else read it!

Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Would it help, 'Mudge, if a photographer used an interesting background in K's photo?

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Chavez as Mouseketeer.

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't think so, Scotty. But I appreciate your trying to help. I think it's a lost cause.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, I wrote about some research attempting to increase the strength of some ductile metals using nanoscale coatings, but nothing resembling what that article describes...

It's always good, however, for a researcher to have the patience of Job...

*rimshot*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Cool article, jumper. It would seem that the iron acts like a chelating agent that facilitates the formatin of the metallofullerenes. I remember when the Nobel Prize was awarded to the chemists WHO discovered buckyballs. They were the next big thing. I hoping the shop steward approves of my remediation.

Posted by: jack | April 4, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The perils of slow writing -- I posted my list of Baltimore tourist destinations on the last kit, just after Curmudgeon sent us to the new one.

Reprinted here:
----------------------------------------

yellojkt, you're shortchanging the wonderful obscurities of Bawdimer:

(1) The shot tower. It's just a big, um, tower. Made of brick. On the rare occasions that it's open, you can go to the top and learn about how musket shot was mass-produced. I've never been, actually.

(2) The old London Fog factory up on Falls Road is now an artists' cooperative like the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria. Correct name, anyone?

(3) Hampden, the residential neighborhood just west of Johns Hopkins U., has undergone something of a renaissance in recent years. It has some funky urban charm to it, and decently funky restaurants. It seems to have overcome its prior record as one of the great counter-arguments to the theory of white supremacy, and is now just a neighborhood. Added treat: it has two streets named Chestnut Avenue, not connected to each other and running perpendicular to each other, on each of which I rented a house for one year while in grad. school at JHU.

(4) Pimlico race course. I've never been there, but I hear that some people like that sort of thing.

(5) I concur that Ellicott City is worth visiting. Home of Benjamin Banneker (well, actually the nearest trading post to his home).

(6) The B&O Railroad Museum. Something unusual for a visitor from Hawaii. Hawaii had some railroads on the Big Island in the 19th century, but I gather that they were too hard to maintain compared to the improvements in automobiles. There is a segment of the Museum in Ellicott City.

(7) Eat dinner at Martick's Restaurant: http://www.citypaper.com/eat/place.asp?id=1720

(8) Visit Lexington Market. Baltimore has other public markets, but this is the big one.

(9) Baltimore Museum of Modern Art, just off Charles Street, right next to Johns Hopkins U. Has a good (and expensive) café. On some occasions, provides art packs for kids visiting the museum. Call ahead and ask if it's one of those days.

(10) 'The' Johns Hopkins University itself is a nice place for an afternoon's stroll. SEE the ancient haunts of ScienceTim (Rowland Hall [now named Krieger] and Bloomberg Center)! HEAR the mumblings of overstressed students! SMELL the rank aroma of grad students and undergrads playing Ultimate Frisbee on the upper quad on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (if they still do that). The Space Telescope Science Institute is over on San Martin Drive, across the road from the Bloomberg Center, home of the Physics Department.

(11) Federal Hill, just South of the Inner Harbor, where the cannons were turned TOWARDS the city during the Civil War in order to quell rebellion.

(12) Baltimore's Penn Station railroad terminal has been renovated and is a pretty neat place for a short visit.

(13) Near Penn Station, visit the Charles Theatre ( http://www.thecharles.com/ ), still an active repertory movie house. In northern Baltimore, visit the art deco-styled Senator, one of the last grand big-screen movie houses. Barry Levinson and Johns Waters movies often premiere there.

(14) Ladew Topiary Gardens, north of the city: http://www.ladewgardens.com/

Posted by: TouristTim | April 4, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I spoke to him long ago, when I did a little real research. In the last few minutes I found this
which seems to indicate that Job's patience paid off. Good.

Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I think I just frightened nine tenths of celebritology

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Larry King is a timeless reptilian beast who sh**s on the dreams of children, for fun."

Yow. Wonkette's developed a nasty steak, eh? Maybe the blog should be renamed "Sanctimoniette."

Posted by: CowTown | April 4, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Something wrong wit connection. I hit submit on that 12:25 about 11:35

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

omni: I had the same problem just before the white out earlier this week. Yello said it was because of the brown acid.

Posted by: jack | April 4, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

jack;

Just as long as it's not a case of grey goo, we're good.

I think.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Must be carbon friday.

Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Your contribution to celebritology made me laugh, omni.

Something is wrong with the ethernet. It must be constipated.

Posted by: jack | April 4, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The pregnant man bit is just too odd for me to fully process. But it does remind me of the way that many married men nowadays seem to use the phrase "we're pregnant" when announcing a successful fertilization.

Am I the only one who finds this expression just a little creepy? I mean, I certainly understand the underlying sentiment. The proud papa is trying to reinforce the notion that he will be an involved and supportive participant in the blessed event. Right up to the point where you have to remain conscious during that whole "miracle of birth" thing.

Still, "we're pregnant" makes me think they have figured out some alternative means of self-replication, and I simply missed the memo.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Scotty: Grey goo conjured up memories of those old Ed Roth Wacky Packages stickers that were sold at the candy counter many years ago.

Posted by: jack | April 4, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I must admit ignorance of this whole "Press Club" thing. I assume it has nothing to do with a "Press Gang." That is, they don't try to force you into the Navy by giving you access to an exclusive bar or anything.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Which one jack. I made a few attempts at humor over there. Wondering where my funny works.

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Joel, isn't any thought, idea or information we have in our heads (Relatively speaking, as Einstein might say. Or not.) simply representative symbols?

The complexity of *everything* [and I mean Everything] is reduced to something we can hold in our heads once we humans Observe them; to something we can communicate to ourowndarnselves and to others. Icons. Symbols. Slogans.

Sadly, a lot of information is lost in the process of making it palatable for Human Consumption (or less - see USA Today).

If we could hold Everything - in all of its infinite complexity - in our heads, our heads would be Everything.

Or if you prefer, such would be the Mind of the Creator.

Me, I'm working my way up to the Illustrated Classics Comic Book of Everything.

MLK's resonance in the Higgs Ocean - symbol that he is - has become a long-lasting symbol of hope and determination and love of humanity.

Icon, symbol, slogan?
Yes, but memorable one.

Carbon's great starstuff, and tastes pretty good, too. [As the top of this planet's food chain, I can say this with some confidence.]

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I had a good relationship with the girl that worked at the used bookstore in my hometown. She would set aside the books too steamy for the open shelves for me. A lot of faux-Victoriana by the ever popular Anonymous.

Even below the world of professional erotica writers are amateur slash-fiction writers that focus on very graphic copyright infringing fantasies based on pop culture characters.

I bet BoodleSlash fiction would include lots of gladiator outfits and blue bottoms.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

RD, as a formerly pregnant person, I find the plural "we're pregnant!" usage repugnant. No, he is NOT pregnant and will never understand the misery involved.

Was it Dave Barry who said about pregnancy and men that it's like watching sports on TV? A man can get genuinely worked up about it, but he's not doing the real work here. They don't call it labor for nothing!

Posted by: slyness | April 4, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

omni: The one that suggested that the supermodel be couched in order to release an unspecified inner animalistic tension.

Posted by: jack | April 4, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

bc, when you find that comic book, will you buy two? I'll send you the money for the second.

Posted by: slyness | April 4, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Just to be pendantic and difficult...

The "pregnant male" came into this world with a full female reproductive system. Even during "reassignment," the "male" kept those parts of the system necessary for supporting fetal development.

We are therefore not discussing a "pregnant male."

*shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Is "pendantic" the masculine form of pedantic?

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

This is one of those issues on which you women love to torment us foolish men, isn't it? I got "we're pregnant" from Michael on thirytsomething, the Sensitive New Age Guy (SNAG). "Aha!" I thought (thought I), "a locution to express that I am cognizant of my role as a partner in this child-production and -rearing process. I am more than a mere sperm-donor, I am a committed parent, and my spousal partner will appreciate this recognition on my part." Now, you try to jerk us back the other way. It's too cruel, I tell you, too cruel. This, on top of the whole business of inconsistent rulings on which colors clash acceptably and which colors do not. It's just too much for me to cope.

Posted by: PlainTim | April 4, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

slyness: you got it.

In fact, I think I'll give them out as Christmas gifts.

Something for Everyone.
Or, Everything for Everyone.

I'm filing the pregnant man story under "it was bound to happen."

Besides, stuff that happens in Arnold Schwarzenegger movies seems to come true all the time (no word if he's a transsexual, though).

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, jack. I liked that one too.

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Link back to the Bawlmer tourist guide that TouristTim rebutted:

I was focusing on the more traditional tourist destinations easily accessible from downtown. Many of the places he recommended require a good map and some research.

As to Tim's comments, these are all worthy destinations except that I have never done 1,4,6, or 7. Pimlico in particular is in a terrible, terrible part of town that most people don't venture into except near Preakness.

Other comments. Hampden was featured in John Water's "Pecker". It is rapidly gentrifying, so catch it while its still quirky. Mill Centre is actually on the very south edge of Hampden. The real action is on 36th Avenue (aka The Avenue). Make sure to buy something at either Atomic Books or Atomic Pop.

Faidleys is the place to do crabcakes at Lexington Market. Spring for the all-lump. Expensive and you have to eat standing up, but it's the real way to do crabcakes if you can't get to G&M.

If you can't get to Lexington Market (and do that on a weekday if you can), Cross Street Market in Federal Hill is a very adequate substitute.

Ladew Gardens is a bit out of town and nearly a day trip of its own. If your going to that kind of trouble, bite the bullet and go all the way up to Longwood Gardens.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere once (possibly OMNI magazine) that it is possible for a man to be made pregnant and bring the baby to term. But the process of actual birthing would kill him. He would bleed to death from the hemorrhaging. It's the muscle walls of a woman's uterus contracting after birth that enables her to survive.

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm withya Tim, that's why I refer to my wife's pregnancies as when she was "great with child." Everyone chuckles, she rolls her eyes, we're all happy.

Posted by: CowTown | April 4, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The subject of gender is one where I am just not in synch with the politically correct view. My feeling is that if you were born female, you are female. I think being female should not necessarily dictate whom you love or whom you marry or what clothes you wear or what job you have or what hairstyle you sport. But to have surgery, take drugs, and legally change your sex does not seem right to me. It seems like what should change is not the person but society. If we could accept a person who has a female body but "acts like a man" (whatever that means) the person wouldn't have to go through those weird changes.

Maybe we should completely get over the idea that everybody has to be either male or female. Embrace androgyny. Here's a website that will issue you a gender-neutral name, as a start:

Posted by: kbertocci | April 4, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Come the revolution...

Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, bc. So in addition to own the first published edition of CP's pi book, the boodle can look forward to the limited edition of Everything for Everyone in the Christmas by bc.

Posted by: daiwanlan | April 4, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Sensitive New Age Guys:

My favorite Christine Lavin song.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

My son just called and wanted to know the best way to get to downtown DC. A (girl)friend of his from middle school is in town on a school trip. I told him to drive to the Greenbelt Metro Station and take the subway in. It's tough letting them grow up.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

And if my son were on the boodle, he could tell you more about nanotubes than I could since he doodles with them on a pre-professional basis.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to finish up my 1:00 thought:

Symbols (or slogans) are needed for communication due to the limitations of languages (be they written, oral, or visual).

But the interesting thing is what those symbols, slogans, etc. trigger to those who perceive them. Say "MLK" to someone and they may think of/remember *their perceptions and reactions to those perceptions* of Dr. King's speeches, his actions, the way he looked, where they were when they heard or read about him, etc.

Words or symbols triggering thoughts.
And sometimes those thoughts move individuals to action.

The Circle becomes complete.

A complex man is reduced to a symbol, then if that symbol is strong enough, it can be reconstituted as a thought or an action in another complex individual or even a group, reverberating through the world or even the entire Higgs Ocean, that aetheric fabric of Everything.

Dr. King - even when reduced to a slogan or symbol - still carries a powerful resonance in many of us. And thank goodness for that.

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Nanoboodules -- could be YJSpawn handler

Very chilly out. Looking for a ray of sunshine or two to break through.

Posted by: College Parkian | April 4, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

daiwanlan: When I finish the Illustrated Classics comic, "Everything for Everyone," I'll let you know.

I'm still on the first chapter, "Everything for Me, at Least as Far as I'm Concerned."

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

kbertocci - but I already have a gender neutral name!

Actually that site is fun. I am "Casper Americo" Hey, it kind of works.

Here's one for generating a "Steampunk name." I was briefly way into Steampunk - which is a type of SciFi in which Victorian technology is used in a modern setting. (Uber-geeky I know.)

I ended up with "Seth Featherstone." Also cool.

But my fav pseudo will always be RD Padouk.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

My wife has masculine name. Not in her culture, in mine. That caused just a bit of awkwardness once when I was ordering an ice cream cake for our joint birthday at ChainIceCreamStore in predominantly gay Ansley Park, Atlanta. The misunderstanding on the part of the order taker was quickly cleared up.

Someday, I'm going to take her to Ireland just to enjoy all the double takes whenever she introduces herself.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

My androgynous name is Reinhold Farris (except I'm pretty sure that Reinhold actually is a masculine name).

My Steampunk name is Consul Alfred Granger. (Alfred?)

My Professor Poopypants name is Falafel Livernose ( http://humor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=humor&cdn=entertainment&tm=6&f=00&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.scholastic.com/captainunderpants/namechanger.htm )

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 4, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

RD, I shoulda known you've read "The Difference Engine" and "The Diamond Age."

Probably watched "Wild Wild West" when you were a kid, too.

Uber geeky, but you're not alone.

Now, what's my Steampunk name...?

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Bah.

My Steampunk name is Martin Parsons, my Andro name is Fidel Theo.

Thanks but no thanks.

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

OK that was fun, my Steam Punk name is Amethyst Baker, I happen to love amethysts so it worked out well.

My androgenous name doesn't work quite as well for me, don't think I could get used to Thurston Santiago. Santiago I live but I am so not a Thurston :-)

Posted by: dmd | April 4, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Jeez. And I was just getting used to Ming Wyoming.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Well... it's official. Son of G is not returning to school next fall. In fact, he's already withdrawn from school. He turned in his paperwork today and called to say, "Well... I've broken up with school." I'm going down on Monday to bring him and all his stuff home.

He came to this decision after several weeks of unhappiness, which led to poor academic performance, which of course in turn led to more unhappiness... etc etc etc. But he's happy with his decision now (as are his parents) and is ready to tackle the world. He's 19 and sees many choices ahead for the next year or so. It's when he sees those choices begin to dwindle that he will return to school (which he fully intends to do).

I can't say I'm surprised (I didn't anticipate him leaving early). He's a great learner, but not a very good academic. He'll make some employer very happy--and surprised at the excellent value he or she will have hired.

My main regret is that the frequent trips to Charlotte will have to end. He may very well end up back at Queens in the next couple of years. He still feels like it's a good match for him, just not quite yet.

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Waitaminit...

Is that THE "S"?

And perhaps I really did mean "pendantic," as in swinging from the end of a loop pf rope, as a pendant does...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Bah. My real name is more androgynous than my androgynous name (Buddy Pierce).

My given name is "male" on the East Coast. I used to get calls where I'd answer the phone "(Ivansmom)". Voice: "I'm looking for (Ivansmom). Is he there?" Me: "Speaking." Hee hee.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Ada Lovelace knows me as Ambassador Morgan Bucket. But among the J'naii, I go by Angus Columbus

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Aw dang, TBG, I know it'll work out for Son of G, but that's rough nonetheless.

*HUGS*

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

That's rough. TBG. But, as you well know, kids don't come with as instruction manual. (They don't so they?) Neither does life. You have to make it up as you go along.

Having met the young lad, I have great confidence that he will eventually find his own path, and that you will be there to help him along the way.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

TBG,
SoG is more than welcome to hang around Wonkette with Pop Socket until he comes up with Plan B. He's got plenty of time to find his calling(s).

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

TBG, may I suggest that you let us live vicariously through Son of G and encourage him to go out and do one of those extravagantly time-consuming and self-fulfilling things that grown-ups never do. Like, bicycle across the US or along the Continental Divide (see http://www.adventurecycling.org/ for guidance), or live on the beach in Hawaii for a year, or hike the whole Appalachian Trail, or kayak the length of the Eastern seaboard (a long-time dream of mine) -- or sail the whole thing in some impractical small boat, like a Sunfish -- making sure to stay very close to shore and keep an emergency radio fully charged and ready to go.

If he wants to do one of the bicycling things -- I have a couple extra mountain-bike frames and lots of parts (unless College Parkian wants to exercise a prior offer of these things), good for such an excursion.

Posted by: PlainTim | April 4, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Just found this "Tricks of the Trade." Very interesting. And I think useful.

Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

You guys aren't going to believe this. My Steampunk name is:

Sir Newt Boodle

My gender neutral name??? Leonardo Marcellus

Huh? Both those names are very masculine are they not?

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

He's still a great kid--but nobody had to tell you that. He'll be fine.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"THE" S? Is there more than one?

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Why does Steampunk hate me so?

"Senator Gideon Lambkin"

*L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, S, there's a Boodler that refers to the significant other using that letter. Small world.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Dissatisfied with my steampunk name, I repeatedly entered the first and succeeding names proferred and on the 73rd entry, was returned to my original name. Try it.

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Steampunk: Rear Admiral Martin Bagstock

Andro: Mortimer Americo

Poopypants: Lumpy Pizzachunks

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The SteamPunk engine is case sensitive.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Posted by: omni | April 4, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

For those of you entering a succession of steampunk names, I would like to advise that you can stop when you get to the name "Vera Gullible."

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Agatha Carton? Hmmm, not sure I like that...

Posted by: slyness | April 4, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

bc - I've certainly read "The Difference Engine" (including the naughty bits in the middle) but not "The Diamond Age." It must be newer. I stopped reading these these books back around 1992. Probably worth seeing how the genre has evolved.

Indeed, I watched and loved "Wild Wild West."

I recall with special fondness, Torres, The Man More Metal than Flesh.

I mean, what's not to like?

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I'm sorry to hear about Son of G's leaving school (for now, anyway), but not *too* sorry.

If he finds what he *really* wants to do with his life, and pursues that passionately - well, who amongst us wouldn't want to do that?

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Mudge - We're related! I'm your long lost Americo relative Casper.

Posted by: RD Padouk | April 4, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Steampunk name: Captain Laura Likeman

Androgynous name: Marcellus King

Poopypants name: Falafel Lizardchunks

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Cousin Casper!!!!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

RD, "Diamond Age" was Neal Stephenson's Steampunk novel - set in the early 21st century with attendant nanotech and other modern technologies, but in a world where the Victorian era never ended.

Pretty interesting, but it was no "Cryptonomicon" or the awesome "System of the World" series (speaking of historical adventure with some diversions into swashbucking and steampunk, Babbage, Leibnitz, and Isaac Newton feature in that last).

I think "Diamond Age" is being produced as a mini-series for the SciFi Channel.

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I must have inadvertently passed through the Guardian of Forever...

I could have sworn I just saw a TV ad for "Sweating to the Oldies"...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Steamthingy: Swami Roland Brick
Andywhatsis: Wiley Leonardo
Stripper: Taffy Deevale
I chose a religious title for the Steamname because my strongest DD character was a cleric.

Posted by: Rev. Blunt Trauma999 | April 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

TBG, thinking that the idea of gap year is intentionally introduced in the parents' weekends by the guidance counselors, the younger generation might have a totally different idea of how they want to "program" their lives. But the parents' love will not cease.

Posted by: daiwanlan | April 4, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

That androgynous name generator isn't too good, is it? My name came out as "Emmit Cedric" and I thought that was okay.

But when I put in other variations of my real name, I got first names like Garfield, Washington, Angus and Dewayne; and, I'm sorry, but those are all masculine names.

Posted by: kbertocci | April 4, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I was in our building's snack shop a little while ago and saw a product I'd never seen before. It was one of those high-energy drinks with guarana (or whatever that stuff is) in it. It is called "Bawls."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, daiwanlan. He's not sorry he went down there and began his college career. He's glad he did that (besides the fact that he met his girlfriend there). He just knew he wasn't really ready for it. I'm very proud of him for figuring this out now and like you said... parents' love doesn't cease.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and encouragement. He's got a great support system and that includes all of you.

I haven't said it for a while... I love this place!

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"Diamond Age" is not a true steampunk novel as it is set in the future and is an extrapolation of current society, not Victorian culture. The neo-Victorians are just one of many competing sub-cultures in the future that have adopted the mores, attitudes, and to a certain extent, mannerisms of that era. The plot is heavily reliant on advanced nanotechnology and omnipresent cloud computing.

"The Difference Engine" is set in an alternate 19th century where they have developed advanced mechanical computing devices (the French have similar capabilities using pneumatics). The plot is basically the heroes discovering an implementing the analogues of electronic computing such as data compression and fractal geometry.

Sorry for being so pedantic, but I take my Stephenson very seriously despite having not finished The Baroque Cycle.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I, "Americo Earlie," command you all to bow before me and pay homage!

Posted by: CowTown | April 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

TBG,
Recall that my daughter: (1) majored in Party101 at the local community college, (2) had a succession of entry-level jobs, (3) would get passed over in favor of a collegiate (4) did a stint in the Air Force as a mechanic (5) served in the war with distinction (6) is currently back in school to advance her trade, working/studying her little butt off.

Except the "little butt" part, she could be my granddad.

Moral of the story: patience.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | April 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, there used to be one of those energy drinks called "Chronic," complete with gang-style Gothic script.

Always struck me as an odd name for such a product...

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

My son is a big fan of Bawls in their blue studded bottles. Before band trips, we would go to NowBankruptBigBoxOfComputers and buy a case or two for him to divvy out to friends.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I've been searching the WWW for an image of Dr. Everet Scott from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as an interesting background for Chucky Krauthammer's head shot. Unfortunately, all the photos have him in a suit. I was sure there'd be one of him in his fetching teddy and fishnets but so far no luck.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 4, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Steampunks:
George Bush=Sir Arthur
Dick Cheney=Master Silas

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That sort of photoshop of Chuckie K and "Great Scott!" could be in extremely poor taste. I heartily approve.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, I defer to you - I didn't really enjoy "Diamond Age" much and kinda skimmed it what - 12 years ago now?

It's no "Snow Crash," either.

I can't blame you for not finishing the Baroque Cycle. It was a good thing that there was so much time between the publication of those novels - I needed to wait for my brain to cool down between them.

And no, I won't tell you how it ends.

bc

Posted by: bc | April 4, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to a group called Guards of Metropolis. It's their first album, I think, so I can't judge them TOO harshly, but it's a tad sophomoric. However, one chorus ends with "I dislike you just the way you are."

Cute. One gold star.

Posted by: CowTown | April 4, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

TBG, don't forget the various trade schools, and that guilds still exist. My nephew decided college was not for him, and went to a school that taught him how to maintain marine engines of all sorts. Afterwards he has taken courses and qualified as a Captain under the aegis of the Coast Guard (not by joining the Coast Guard, just as one who is certified by them. One can similarly learn navigation in that field. His little brother, inspired by all this, has joined the Navy and is now an instructor. They have him studying what he needs to know, and yes, he learns the math.

I spoke to an American carpenter who had learned his craft in Europe working through a Guild. He got to work on centuries-old buildings and had neat stories to tell.

If I could do it over again, I would wish I had attended the Culinary Institute of America.

There is much available to finesse the standard college path. One needs to look.

Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Also, "The Difference Engine" was written by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, two cyberpunk writers that predate Stephenson.

I saw Stephenson at a book reading/signing for Cryptonomicon where I was far from the biggest geek there (boodler related content):

I saw and recorded some of Gibson when he swung through NoVa earlier this year:

The geek is strong in me today.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I read all three. Going for Baroque, I was.

Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

You're right YJ. It would be wrong on a number of counts. I'd better get cracking.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 4, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

(grimacing)

Posted by: CowTown | April 4, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Not much can compare to "Snow Crash". It's one of those books I anticipate/fear a film adaptation of. It could be 'The Matrix' or it could be 'The Postman'.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm two thirds of the way through 'Quicksilver'. I discovered the trade paperback multiple volume sets of each book. It makes me feel better when I finish one off. Plus, by reading the paperback, I don't have to risk the condition of my autographed hardback set.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Running for the bus a bit early today; we're going over to a friend's house for dinner. To all the boodlers who don't boodle much on weekends, everybody have a good one.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

We are big Stephenson fans - you know apocrypha has it "The Big U" had something to do with Rice - but "Snow Crash" is my sentimental favorite. I reread it when I need a big smile. The opening sequence alone puts me in a great mood.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 4, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

A Google search on steampunk and 'The Diamond Age' show that the exact classification of the book as such is controversial but widespread. I grant bc the benefit of the doubt, but I will continue to quibble.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Just a fly-by on yellojkt's 2:02:

Part of Christine Lavin's act when performing "Sensitive New Age Guys" is she finds the dumpiest, most overweight, redneck-looking guy in the audience to come up on stage and sing it with her.

When she came to our town a few years ago, I got the nod. I still have the "King of Martinsville" crown she made for me out of old newspapers (another use for print-editions).

Posted by: Dooley | April 4, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

My Uncle Chet (Chester Perkins; he is deceased, so I think I can post his name) said that he was not doing well in college (engineering school), so he joined the Army as a way to avoid the consequences of failure. He married my Aunt Janet before leaving for Europe in 1943 (marrying into the family). He was deployed in northern France or Belgium (I'm not sure which), presumably after D-Day. His first lieutenant stepped on an anti-tank mine and was reduced to a fine mist and bone fragments, many of which Chet carried in his face until his death in August 2006, along with the shrapnel that he caught and which reduced his face to pulp and destroyed his eyes. He had 40-some surgeries, before they figured out what plastic surgery is. He was blind and looked like a gargoyle. He learned Braille, re-enrolled in college on the GI bill (Butler U in Indianapolis). He edited a newspaper for the blind and worked for many years as a public relations man (later, PR director) for the American Heart Association. They raised a child and for decades were the focal point for family gatherings. Janet and Chet both passed away in the same year, after 63 years of marriage.

So. There's a heck of a lot of good life left after leaving college, and even after what might appear to be a disaster. Chet, by the way, described his injury as lucky, because it wasn't an anti-personnel mine. Contrary to melodramatic musings by the able-bodied, he didn't question that 60 years of blindness with a loving family is entirely worth living.

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 4, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Hi Everyone! Thanks to you all, esp Yello and Tim, for the Bawlmer recommendations and info. I've forwarded all to my traveling friend who leaves from Seattle for Baltimore and DC tomorrow. Being a school teacher, I think he will find this trip to be very enriching for his career. Or maybe not...ha! Anyway, thank you all and now I have to back boodle all day cuz I got here so late!

Posted by: Aloha | April 4, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Tuesday! The doctor is going to induce Third Dottir on Tuesday and then we will have our twin baby boys!

She is just elated to know that the end of pregnancy is near. Of course, nobody will be surprised if she goes into labor tomorrow.

Posted by: slyness | April 4, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Great news, slyness. I'm very happy for you and 3rddottir

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hope everything goes well, slyness.

Posted by: mostlylurking | April 4, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Hope all goes well with the wee boys, Slyness. Will she name them Boodle-dee and Boodle-dum?

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Our passports arrived in the mail today! One week and one day since we applied at our local post office.

Sure glad I didn't spring for the $60 "expedited service." Makes you wonder what gets expedited?

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Hope all goes well slyness.

With twin boys, 3D will have years of mysteries...she'll never know who broke the lamp/the window/the car.

Posted by: LostInThought | April 4, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, Slyness, thank goodness. We've been waiting for those boys forever!

If they don't want to name them Boodledee and Boodledum, perhaps they'll consider Click and Clack.

I guess Cassandra didn't get her sticky computer fixed...,

and I am amazed that all those name programs didn't remind anyone of their stripper names.

Signed,

Brownie Westwood

Posted by: Maggie O'D | April 4, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

For any one interested in more blathering about the death of newspapers, here is computer guru John C. Dvorak with his take:

Posted by: yellojkt | April 4, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

aka Lulu Monticello (stripper)
Mortimer Leonardo (androgynous, but how? my IRL name is more androgynous than that)
Diana Hoadley (Steampunk)
Falafel Chucklehumperdink (Prof Poopypants)

French flap brewing over demise of semicolon. As reported in The Guardian

Posted by: frostbitten | April 4, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I love babies. I know you'll have lots of fun slyness.
I mentioned my stripper name, Taffy Deevale.
Could someone please remind me NOT to watch the McLaughlin Group next Friday, please? Bill Moyers, Bill Moyers, Bill Moyers. Oooom.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 4, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Save the ;. This underused and misused punctuation has a rightful place in language. It is perhaps nowhere more evident than in the British interpretation of the period (full stop), the comma (half stop) and the role of the semicolon (stop and proceed). It is the yellow light of punctuation, not to be raced through, but embraced as a hesitation greater than the common comma. Save the ;.

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, tightly crossed fingers that just the thought of Tuesday will bring happiness post-haste! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 4, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Corrected analogy: the ; is more the flashing red light, rather than the yellow light; i.e., (full) stop and proceed. The yellow light is the dash (-) through.

Posted by: S | April 4, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

S... I have never made a secret of my passion for the semi-colon.

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, ol' TBG is just wacky 'bout those semi-colons, S. Just be careful and don't mention guillemets; we don't want a repeat of "the incident."

Posted by: Boko999 | April 4, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm forever just trying to catch up here. TBG, as others have said, son of G will be fine, I give him credit for knowing himself well enough to leave now.

Slyness, wonderful news for all, especially the mother-to-be. I'm so happy for you!

Long day that started with a hospital visit for a test and ended with doing some Saturday chores tonight so that the granddaughters' visit tomorrow doesn't disrupt my entire weekend schedule. Because it is supposed to rain, I've decided to make bread with the girls. I'll teach them how to knead and let them bake their own small loaves. "S" has a permit to burn brush, so if the weather cooperates, we can end the day with a fire.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | April 4, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Slyness-congrats on the impending arrival of the twins. Have names been selected? Might I suggest Oliver Boliver Butt and Buck Buck McFate, two I love from Seuss's "22 Daves" (a mother had 22 sons and named them all Dave)

And congrats to TBG on Son of G's move. It takes some significant courage to make a move like that instead of being swept along by convention, expectation or even ennui. (My brief, disastrous, second marriage talking here.)

Moyers over McLaughlin any day, but it is unrelentingly depressing tonight.

Posted by: frostbitten | April 4, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

TBG, thank your lucky stars and any other lucky symbols you know of that SonOfG is getting out of college now to think over his future. My youngest left college ONE SEMESTER AWAY FROM GRADUATION and never finished. That was nearly 20 years ago and I don't think my husband has forgiven him yet.

Posted by: nellie | April 4, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

And that kid "sort of" wanted to learn to cook, but didn't investigate it, and went to college not knowing what he wanted and changing his major a couple of time --- SonOfG is doing the very smart thing.

Posted by: nellie | April 4, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks... Hope the hospital test came out OK.

Sounds like a fun day with the g-girls. My grandmother used to let me bake things in the shape of a T. You know... a T for TBG.

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

TBG, for physics-boy we put a ∏ on pies.

Posted by: Yoki | April 4, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Yoki! We've missed you so much! I hope the work is enjoyable enough to make up for having little boodling time.

The twins have names, and those names are in six-inch letters above their cribs. Now if mom and dad will just decide who is who, we will be in great shape.

We are praying for an easy, normal delivery. One baby is already so far down, the tech had a hard time finding his heartbeat last week. They are both head down, which is an excellent thing.

Posted by: slyness | April 4, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Yoki!! Enquiring minds want to know: did you take the promotion????????????

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 4, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Jumper - Since it doesn't seem to have been addressed previously, I'll point out that no discussion of Jennifer Job's fine article (see - Posted by: Jumper | April 4, 2008 12:07 PM) about Bob Job is complete without at least a passing reference to the problem of blowholes in rimming steel: http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0965-0393/1/5/004/

Posted by: Bob S. | April 5, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

See? This is why I love the Boodle so much.

'Mudge, I only sorta-kinda took the promotion. I absorbed the Boodle questions and put them (up front) [way good] to my possible-boss.

By this, I'm calling out Raysmom, dmd, dbG, TGB, SonofG, etc. I had to think really hard about what I wanted. Well, I want to do well, late.

Now I am kind of a big deal; people know me; I'm important (and my apartment is filled with leather-bound books and smells of rich mahogany).

So I am a high class shark-wrangler, and I get 8% more money annually than I did previously. Of course, 8% of .25 Canadian Tire Dollars is 8% of nuthin. I'm a sucker.

But oh my, am I enjoying myself? Yes indeed.

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Slyness, you've got twin-babies. I hope they continue to do well. Precous. Moomoomoo.

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

"Morning, boodle! I worked off some meteorological anxiety by cleaning house and doing the laundry, in preparation for a visit from my in-laws later today. We have a dog show and will leave the children in the care of their grandparents. They will participate in opening day for Little League and have the rest of the day to do as they please. It was a rough night: two tornado warnings in the south of the county and one to the north. I haven't heard of any damage. Fortunately, all we experienced was torrential rain. One of our dogs is in the ring today. We're hoping for winner's b!tch and a major.

Posted by: jack | April 5, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for your support.

Posted by: ; | April 5, 2008 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Hi, all, I haven't been here for a week or more.

I love South Pacific, and because it's in the news these days, I looked up the lyrics to There Is Nothing Like a Dame, one of my favorites (along with all the other songs in that show). For the part that goes "So suppose the dame ain't bright, and completely free from flaws", stylrics.com said the words are "So suppose the dame and bride Are completely free from flaws". Bowdlerizing?

Posted by: LTL-CA | April 5, 2008 3:44 AM | Report abuse

YOKI!!! Congratulations!! *Snoopy dances* :-)

Sneaks, hope that test comes out properly! *HUGS*

LTL-CA, I'd agree it's probably Bowdlerizing. *SIGH* I'd hate to see what they did to "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair"...

Anyway, I expect to have about a week's Boodling hiatus. Might check in again later today, but after that it'll probably be next weekend before you see me again. It's about time to take NukeSpouse on a honeymoon, wouldn't you say? :-D

*very-grateful-for-the-time-away-from-the-office-and-hoping-you-all-have-a-wonderful-week Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 5, 2008 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, Bon Voyage--

You know how people always told you when you were in high school that those were the best days of your life, so you should be more appreciative, and you were thinking, "This is as good as it gets?!" Well, those people were lying. The best time of life is right after you get married. These are the days you'll look back on all your life, the memories that will sustain you when you are old. Enjoy.

Posted by: kbertocci | April 5, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Bon voyage indeed Mr. ScottyN. We should try that honeymoon thing one of these days, after 23+ years that would be about time.
Good luck to your dottir Slyness, those final days could be stressfull. One of my minions is about 8.5 months pregnant but looks (and feel) 9.5 months along. She can't wait for the delivery, scheduled for the end of the month. Poor her, she loks like she swallowed a basketball and it's really hard on her back.
I'm sorry to see her gone for a year on maternity leave but you know, c'est la vie. A colleague is coming back from her maternity year off in a couple of weeks but, unfortunately, she won't be working with me. In ten years in my current job, I think this upcoming baby will be the 5th produced by lady engineers, as opposed to a single one by the spouses of the guys.

It's +5C already and sunny. The snow will take a serious beating this weekend.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | April 5, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

S'nuke has a lot of dash. S'pouse may interpret dash as hesitation, but dash is only a caution light.

Posted by: ; | April 5, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

It's about time, Snuke! I'd say NukeSpouse should have a wonderful honeymoon. We will expect lots of happy pictures.

Thanks for all the good thoughts on babies, everyone. It will be a great relief to have them here.

I'm glad attitudes are changing about maternity leaves, SD. When I was doing it, a generation ago, it was rather a novel concept and people didn't expect me to return. Ha!

Posted by: slyness | April 5, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

"Those were our salad days."
-Raising Arizona

Have fun on that honeymoon. Don't do anything we wouldn't do, and if you do, name it after us.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 5, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

S'nuke, have a great time with S'nuke Spouse, and yes, pictures please. I wonder where you are going, someplace warmer maybe? Or maybe I'm just projecting. I'm sure my test results will be fine as the symptoms that necessitated the test seem to have vanished. I'm not concerned, well maybe just a teeny bit.

Gotta go get ready for the arrival of the granddaughters. Have a great day everyone.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | April 5, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

SD. You're allowed to feel you female minions? I'm obviously out of the wrong line of work.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 5, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

And good morning.
And have fun Scotty.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 5, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Backboodling furiously, don't have time to comment on much but I'll share my alternate names:

Andro: Ardell Marcellus (related to omni!)
Steampunk: Betsy Carton (related to Slyness!)
Poopypants: Falafel Barftush (I hope this doesn't mean I have Bill O'Reilly tendencies)

Slyness, best wishes on Tuesday, I bet you're beyond excited. My grandfathter and great aunt were twins but so far none have been produced in succeeding generations.

Cassandra - I miss you!

Posted by: TLF | April 5, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Babies, promotions, honeymoons? Dang and I missed it. Congratulations good luck and have fun. I think that covers them all. and TBG,tell son of G we are rooting for whatever his choices may be.

We had a nice healthy 6 inches of heavy wet snow last night. It looks good, but underneath is a layer of superior ice. It should be fun.

Posted by: dr | April 5, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I am bouyed because this morning, when I refresh, it says Error on page.

Posted by: dr | April 5, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

TBG, SonofG will now probably, for the first time, find something that fits him. Good for you and G for not pitching a fit and making the necessary right choice harder for him.

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yoki... thanks. So good to see you. My passport arrived yesterday. Is a Calgary BPH still a possibility in May?

Posted by: TBG | April 5, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

dr-I always see that as a good omen, though I suppose Error would not be pleased with my superstition.

g'morning boodle and congrats to Yoki, bon voyage to s'nuke and spouse.

Winter storm advisory here tonight with 3-6" of snow predicted. Better than last night when they were saying 8-12" but despair is a constant companion for folks who dread a return of the "year without a summer" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer
which of course we always dread because we are from Minnesota and dread is despair's best friend and they, oh heck, you get the picture.

For those following the Netflix algorithm competition, here's an interesting post at Datawocky

Posted by: frostbitten | April 5, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

TBG -- your mother's heart is skipping a bit, and I think we will have these arrhythmias forever, which is a very good heart condition indeed. SonofG is full of good sense. I will lay money down on his number. But, should you need a road trip let me know. We must take the surrey out to Annapolis to see Maggie of the Days soon.

Scotty -- I hope you read the instruction manual for the h-moon.

Could not generate my silly names but will make one up from Shakespeare:

Mistress Pollianna Fleuromania

Had dinner last night and the topic was entropy. Really. Entropy and sustainable textiles. A physicist in the room kept us from being too woo-hoo, hippy-dippy on the entropy definitions.

Every physics discussion leaves me theologically whoozy. Dreamt that I was on Mt. Whitney in the Southern Sierra Nevada. The stars cluster so thick and close, they press down upon a body. Whoozy, in an awe-filled way.

Yoki! Glad for what you say.

Baby boys on the way, twins at that. My twin brothers, identical, are 41 this year. We called them:

Cosimo FurPot
Ichipo Trepicinch

Why? I cannot say. The sweetness of babies and just think, Slyness, you will see the tender napes of their darling necks so soon.

Posted by: College Parkian | April 5, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I love these little people (children); and it is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us. --The Old Curiosity Shop (1841)

Posted by: Charles Dickensian | April 5, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Not a lot to report this morning. I'm glad Yoki seems so happy with her promotion to Chief Shark Wrangler.

My wife's off today on some sort of retreat, so I've got the whole day to myself--darned rare for a Saturday. I've got a few errands to run -- dry cleaning, pharmacy, county landfill, and hang a pair of folding doors in my son's room, plus I'm outa gin -- and then I'm free! There may even be a much-forbidden afternoon nap in the lineup, who knows? Then there is the issue of dinner: I'm feeling sorta culinary, so may do something a tad dazzling. The new "Cook's Illustrated" arrived yesterday but I haven't had a chance to look it over. Well, I've got six or seven hours for inspiration to strike. I'm feeling kinda Provençal-ish and maybe a touch braise-ish. Hmmmm. Braised Chicken Provençal? Just so happens I have an untried recipe for that.

I'm really jazzed about Slyness's news and can't wait for Tuesday-- it's like waiting to hear who won the primary.

C'mom, Cassandra, let's go.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | April 5, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Frosti -- Minnesotans have their reasons, don't they? Relatives survived the Hinckley fire, with mention of that in letters and at funerals into the 1920s. Cloquet also had such a conflagration.

And the semi colon notes earlier! I vote Semi Colon in 08, now that Error is off the ballot. Those wanting to enshrine a bit of Error-love in their gardens might look for the tickseed or coreopsis variety called

Jethro Tull

Hardy, little fluted petals, good orangey-gold that would look fab next to anything but especially purple salvias.....

Posted by: College Parkian | April 5, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Just as I thought. "Rimming steel" is a steam-punk term; an obsolete technology. Continuous casting technologies indicate using killed steel instead.

And Mudge forgot about the fact that "Clinical symptoms of irritability leading to coma, tachycardia, tachypnea and night blindness in a human patient receiving total parental nutrition were completely eliminated by supplementation with 300 microg of ammonium molybdate per day providing evidence for an essential role of molybdenum in human nutrition [Abumrad et al., 1981]. Diets low in molybdenum fed to goats [ Anke et al., 1978] and to chicks [Payne, 1978] resulted in detrimental effects associated with reproduction. Goats had poor conception rates and poor fetal survival. Chicks suffered high embryonic mortality and abnormal growth and development."

But don't eat your molydenum, kids. Actual molybdenum deficiency is extremely rare. And, "a first case of acute human molybdenum toxicity from a dietary supplement (nutriceutical) (has been) described. Acute molybdenum poisoning is followed by psychotic symptoms, severe brain cortical sequele, and testicular testosterone production followed by a deep depression."

Posted by: Jumper | April 5, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Banner on the Simpsons at the *Reading Digest* essay contest...

"Brevity is... wit."

Posted by: TBG | April 5, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Note to self: Throw out molybdenum chip cookies.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 5, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Madame Moly B. Denum, former medium and herbalist, was last seen going over Niagara in a barrel. She leaves behind seven cats and numerous promissory notes.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Rimmington Steele, bereft over the likely demise of his mentor and lover, Madame Denum, consoled himself with absinthe quaffs, dosing at six per hour.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

*I* know where Cassandra is! At a conference here in the Queen City today. Sounded like they would be tied up all day, so we won't have a local BPH, but there will be other opportunities...

Posted by: slyness | April 5, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

have fun s'nuke.
yoki, glad to hear you were able to negotiate the promotion offer in your favor.
tbg, you and dr. g are great parents and good for son of g for knowing himself.
slyness, looking forward to the baby news.

i'm going to be busy for a couple of weeks so i don't know if i'll have time to boodle.

hope everyone has a good weekend.

and go bruins!

Posted by: L.A. lurker | April 5, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

frosty, the sotrm coming your way may be related to the one we are currently in. Earlier today it was merely snow on the ground. Now it is snow in the air, snow in my hair, snow in my eyes. I tried to head to town, but weather is going to stop me. It isn't a blizzard but neath the delicate white top layer there is a nasty layer of ice. Visibility is low and the snow is coming down quite heavily.

I think I should hand in my prairie girl cred, but gosh darn it, I'm not worried about me so much as the other idiots on the road.

Posted by: dr | April 5, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Yoki, on going and doing what you really want!

Go forth and continue doing well. :-)

Echoing TBG, BPH still going to work for you, or do we switch dates?

Posted by: dbG | April 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

dr, that's the way I feel about driving in the snow too. Of course, now I'm so out of practice that I'd be one of the idiots. Too bad it got in the way of your plans, though. My friend from Montana hates snow because of the way it dictates what you can and can't do.

Calgary is just a 2 and a half day drive from Seattle, yanno...

Posted by: mostlylurking | April 5, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted a new kit -- something my eldest wrote that's in the Post's close to home section.

Posted by: Achenbach | April 5, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, cool man, big thanks! http://wsemuimyvoifmn.com

Posted by: siapvkihdl | April 23, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse