Are Koalas Drunk?

IMG_1753.jpg

The buzz on koalas is that they're drunk on eucalyptus leaves. The rumor is so rampant that there's a concerted campaign to knock it down. The truth is that they're just incredibly sleepy -- they sleep about 20 hours a day. All their energy goes into digesting the leaves. But listen to what one of the local scientists told me: Because koalas are basically leaf-digesting machines, they have very small brains that take up only about one-third of their cranial cavity. They're literally airheads.

[Most of my field work on Australian fauna has been accomplished at the zoo. Really I don't know why people bother going into the boondocks, risking life and limb, enduring all manner of discomfort, to study creatures that are accessible in one convenient location in Sydney.]

IMG_1916.jpg

When you drive in Australia you have to be on the look-out for the roos, which apparently are about as savvy as armadillos when it comes to avoiding eating the fender. But as hazards go, even worse than the roos are the wombats.

IMG_1729.jpg

In Australia they play silly sports in silly clothes. I mean no offense or anything.

IMG_1961.jpg

Civic leaders have placed sailboats in strategic locations so that they'll offer a serene sight through breaks in the tree cover. The boats are unmanned and are built 1:4 scale which you can't discern from a distance. The mast on the sailboat pictured here, if you could stand next to it, would only come up to your shoulder.

IMG_1815.jpg

Look what this little devil did to the bird on his right. Shocking.

IMG_1967.jpg

Obligatory Opera House/Harbour Bridge shot to prove I'm really in Sydney.

[You know what's sad: When a writer becomes a middle-of-the-night interloper on his own blog. I'm allowed to post only between midnight and 5 a.m. EDT. This is a new low for me.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  May 9, 2008; 4:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Bloopy Brain Theory
Next: Googling Bloops

Comments

Love the marsupial pics. What sweeties!

Just for the record, not *all* Aussies play silly sports in silly costumes. It's only old f@rts what play them lawn bowls.

P.S. First!!!!

Posted by: Dreamer | May 9, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

The zoo is nice, eh mate? Any chance of pics of the red pandas?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | May 9, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Dreamer.
Where are you?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | May 9, 2008 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer, great to see you!

You're right, not all the sports are silly. Rugby is sort of the antithesis of silly.

(But cricket is silly. Though I'm not sure anything looks sillier than lawn bowling.)

Posted by: Achenbach | May 9, 2008 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey Joel---nice pics, especially Sydney. Hope the mornings are not too cold for you, although you are probably staying in a fancy hotel with central heat.

I saw a wild koala in Noosa National Park one day, on the main path. He was high up in a tree, zonked out. It was pretty special though.

Have you seen any of the giant fibre glass statues? you'll need to get out of the city to find them... the Big Crab, the Big Pineapple, the Big Bull (with his swinging t*sticles as Bill Bryson writes)... can't leave Australia without tracking a few down.

As per sports, well, I always thought they could improve rugby quite a lot if they dispensed with their shirts. They would certainly increase the female fan base... ah, those well built Aussie men. Yum!

Posted by: Miss Toronto | May 9, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Achenbach.

Hey, shriek. I'm in Hong Kong (timewise, we're two hours behind Sydney).

Posted by: Dreamer | May 9, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

... hey don't knock cricket. It's the perfect sport on a scorching hot day when you can't move and the only thing to do is have a cold beer, stay out of the sun, and snooze watching cricket. Now, that's the life.

It's best though to listen to a game over the radio. MUCH more entertaining. They speak about anything BUT cricket. Until someone gets a wicket and then they go wild.

Posted by: Miss Toronto | May 9, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Great to hear from you, Joel. We could use a few more super early kits. Those girls you have pressed into service have been doing a bang up job, but we like hearing from you.

I saw plenty of kangaroos at the Atlanta Zoo recently. No need to go all the way to AussieLand if you aren't going to put on your cargo shorts and pith helmet.

Cartoon of the Day:

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey, it's way fun to wake up to a brand new kit and a kit with kangaroos and koalas seems too good to be true. I haven't been boodling for days, so this is a good way to dive back in. Love the pics, great little album of JA's Australian adventure. Don't worry, Joel. From what I have gathered so far, Rachel and Caitlin are holding down the fort admirably.

Posted by: Kim | May 9, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, I can report that lawn bowling is played in Ottawa. By a small minority of older folks in silly clothes.
Motto: "Lawn bowling is like curling on the green"

Posted by: shrieking denizen | May 9, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

And in large North American mammal news:

Australia may have all the odd and poisonous creatures, but at least they can't use you body as a trampoline.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE IT....

here is LIVE cricket on the internet... oh, how funny. Check it out:

Posted by: Miss Toronto | May 9, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer! So good to hear from you! I hope things are going well in Hong Kong and you'll drop in more often.

"Allowed" to post in your own blog, Joel? Who made up that rule?

Congratulations to College Parkian on the new assignment! We know you can do it, and excel!

Here's one for our good friends in Haute Maine:

Oh yeah, good morning everybody! We didn't get a lot of rain here. Oh well.

Posted by: slyness | May 9, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Lawn bowling is played where I live too, in fact, I lived around the corner from the Lawn Bowling Club - didn't see a large youth participation amongst the members.

The curling club was adjacent. As was the Seniors centre.

Posted by: dmd | May 9, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

You wanna drink a koala, you're gonna need a blender, mate.

Posted by: Outback Boko | May 9, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Hi, Dreamer!

Joel, thanks for checking in, it's reeeely not the same around here without you, although the womenfolk you left in charge have been doing a great job.

College Parkian, congratulations on your promotion. I believe they made the right decision. Once in a while that happens.

*Tim, I appreciated your statement on the last boodle about the Flying Spagetti Monster. I feel what you feel, but also believe it's very important to keep a sense of humor, even (or especially?) about the things that are most sacred to us. And it's easy to imagine that the FSM followers are all equally disdainful of religion of all kinds, but actually, many of them are just light-hearted and irreverent and they are making fun of being overly serious just as much as they are making fun of other people's beliefs.

I'd like to take a poll:
Which is cuter, a panda or a koala?

And I'm off to work: 3,2,1, go!

Posted by: kbertocci | May 9, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Good to hear from you Joel. Great pictures. How can I choose between a panda and a koala? Impossible. Going to be a rainy day here and no 'warm' weather for the foreseeable future. Just when I've scheduled tomorrow for a thorough porch spring cleaning. Have a great Friday, yessss it's finally Friday!

Congratulations CP, that is great news.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | May 9, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Boko, you just reminded me of my favourite lab equipment ad, the blender that "will puree a mouse in 5 seconds".

Posted by: shrieking denizen | May 9, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

No question. Pandas. Much more colorful. That is if black and white counts as a color.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

yj, I would tend to agree, but not about the "no question" part. In my mind, an animal's cuteness quotient is negatively affected if the animal in question is capable of killing me. So the panda loses some points there.

Posted by: kbertocci | May 9, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer!!!! *exuberant Grover waves* :-)

Congrats CP!!!!! *extra-exuberant Grover-like confetti-tossing and a backflip* :-)))

Now where's my Aleve?

Put some Lawn Darts in those bowlers' hands and we'll have some REAL excitement!

Glad to see you're not in Oz now, 'Mudge.

*TGIF-and-suchlike Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 9, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Pandas and koalas both eat a diet of nothing but the cellulosic part of a plant. They eat lots. They have to digest it for a long time. This leads me to the inescapable conclusion that these very cute and attractive creatures fart. A lot. An incredibly vast lot. This is somehow disconcerting to me.

Posted by: ScienceTim | May 9, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer, good to see you. We miss you.

Joel, nice pictures from down under. What, no Aussie rules football? No trip to Australia would be complete without contacting the Queensland Curling Association.

It seems they also are looking at curling on soft ice.

Roger Aldag. Now there is a giant of a man, Yellojacket red hair but with freckles, IIRC. Big heart. Great player and yes he would like the cartoon.

I wonder why lawn bowling was never taken up on the prairies?

Posted by: dr | May 9, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

And I DID mean Baum's Oz, not the "code word for Down Under" Oz...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 9, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

CP, congratulations. No way does that word encapsulate how pleased I am for you.

Pandas or Koalas? too close to call.

Posted by: dr | May 9, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Playing catch up. again.

But really. How many times do I have to tell you people. there's a trick to it.

<here><it><is>

Posted by: omni | May 9, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Great to hear from you Joel. I've never really understood cricket. (But then, I've never really understood baseball either.) On several occasions I have tried to overcome my ignorance.

The first was after my wife and I visited Barbados years ago. The island was packed with so many enthusiastic cricket aficionados that I figured they couldn't all be wrong about the game. (Of course, they also insisted in driving on the wrong side of the road.) Anyway, my attempts to learn the game were limited pretty much to the term "Tea Interval." (Gotta love that in a sport.)

I next attempted to master the sport after reading the sequels to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in which cricket plays a central role. This time I managed to grasp the concept of the "wicket" and why a sticky one is, you know, bad.

Finally, last year I read an interesting article about twenty-20 cricket, a much accelerated version of the game. This intrigued me enough that I attempted, once again, to master the intricacies of this subtle sport. I failed, naturally, but did learn that the popularity of twenty-20 cricket, especially with young people, is considered quite scandalous in the cricket world. Nearly as scandalous as this:

Posted by: RD Padouk | May 9, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

A visit from Dreamer, how cool is that.

Hi Dreamer.

Posted by: omni | May 9, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Twenty-20, as in Mad Dog 20/20), I had never before heard the legend about koalas being drunk. What I do remember learning is that koalas are rather bad tempered.

Back in the 1970s there were these series of "I hate Quantas" commercials for the Australian airline (you know, the only one Rainman would fly on) featuring a cutesy talking koala. This led to some people wanting to adopt these cuddly creatures as pets, only to learn that when they are not sleeping they can be extremely mean spirited.

So I can see another reason why the rumor of chronic intoxication got started.

Posted by: RD Padouk | May 9, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Hi Dreamer! Hope you stick around. I think of you whenever a make a nice cup of tea.

And CP, let me raise said cup of tea in salute to your new position. Please remember us little people as you climb the ladder to academic world domination.

Actually, I think I've had quite enough caffeine this morning. But I do have many meetings to attend.

Posted by: RD Padouk | May 9, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The Great Cricket War.

You see, Cricket isn't a game, so stop thinking of it in those terms.

If you think of it as a War Re-enactment, it all suddenly makes sense.

<I think>

Posted by: omni | May 9, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Pandas are cuter in that snuggly-hug-me-when-you're-blue kinda way.

But koalas definitely have that ironic look of insouciant disdain usually only found in your more refined felines.

Besides, Lagomorphs rule. All personages of refined taste agree on this.

Posted by: RD Padouk | May 9, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

CP, Congrats! I knew you'd get the position. I just knew it. Now, onward towards the Ph.D.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | May 9, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the sailboats. It is a tightly held fact that once you enter Australian airspace electromagnetic signals coming from over-the-horizon radars interfere with the optical arrays in modern digital cameras to create cunningly realistic virtual images on the random access memory. Ireland does the same thing with castles. This is why truly savvy world travelers encase all their electronic devices with aluminum foil.

But you didn't hear it from me.

Posted by: RD Padouk | May 9, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

hi Dreamer! Have you been lurking or just a coincidence you're here while Joel's Down Under?

Good to see you, nonetheless.

CP... congratulations!

Everyone else... good morning!

Posted by: TBG | May 9, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

<testing>

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

A Kit from Australia! Hello, Dreamer!

A rant will force me to go off-topic immediately, then perhaps I can post a more plesant Aussie-themed comment later. My rant has to do with journalistic accuracy.

Today the front of our Metro page has a story about headaches for lawyers [and parents who do not want to appear uncooperative] who must contend with the state requirement that mandates that children in foster care be inoculated--since none of the 464 children taken from the Eldorado compound in west Texas have had their shots.

The two local reporters who wrote the story, Terri Langford and Lisa Sandberg, wrote in the secong graf: "Most children are immunized against diseases including chicken pox, polio, measles and smallpox before they start school."

Smallpox? These two reporters might want to check *how many decades* ago the smallpox immunization requirement was dropped nationally--and why.

I don't know why the Express-News has a problem with the corrections I e-mail them: Cartoonist John Branch recently spelled Gen. David Petraeus' name as "Patraeus."

A front-page travel feature on a recent Sunday said the name of Lisbon Castle was changed to the Castle of St. George in such-and-such a year because of the marriage of Portugal's King John to a princess (one of John of Gaunt's daughters by his first marriage.) This marriage actually took place about a decade later than the date in the cutline so cannot have been the reason for the castle's name change. It took me three e-mail exchanges with travel editor Tracy Barnett and I still don't think she understood what I was trying to tell her, I making the needed correction more simple and stripping it of detail each time we exchanged e-mails.

Never have I seen these corrections in print.

Front-page strange news (the first and fourth grafs):

In a move expected to assure CPS Energy's [our local utility] 5 percent rate increase sails through City Council next week, utility officials yanked the controversial portion of the increase tied to nuclear energy and decided to spend the money on renewable energy and conservation.

The rate increase was going to fund a $206 million preliminary design and site study for adding two reactors at the South Texas Project in Bay City. That study will continue, with money shifted from the utility's capital improvement funds to make up for money lost by Thursday's decision.

LL: Cooking the books right before our very eyes.

*rant over*

Posted by: Loomis | May 9, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

My nominee for cutest animal would be the red panda. They are too small to kill you as well.
Koalas are the cutest animal bearing a STD:

"But, sadly, they are prone to chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease, and it appears to be spreading.
"As much as 40 to 50 per cent of koalas coming into care in both Queensland and NSW [New South Wales] are showing clinical signs of the disease and it seems to be getting worse," said Prof. Peter Timms"
The rest at:
Maybe koalas should, you know, drink a little less.

Speaking of se3ual promiscuity and drinking, looks like there is another Republican caught drunk with his pants down. Hehee.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | May 9, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Yay, CP!!

And DNA Girl, I may take you up on that nagging offer. My advisors are much too easygoing with me. I'll let you know.

Posted by: bia | May 9, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Boko's 7:24 is hilarious, by the way.

Posted by: TBG | May 9, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

A more upbeat tune: A video all about Emma Watson (AKA Hermione)

A song by (Rosa Isabel) Mutya Buena (video by Littlemizzpoison)

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/mutya_buena_lyrics_10568/real_girl_lyrics_33303/real_girl_lyrics_483449.html

Posted by: omni | May 9, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking about you the other day, bia. You know those tests you take to determine the amount of stress you are under? One thing usually sets the meter to high... new job, new house, new town, getting married, working on a new degree.

You be careful now, you hear? Your stress meter might go all kerflooey, with springs popping and sparks and lots of "boingy" noises and beeps and whistles.

I'm just sayin'.

Posted by: TBG | May 9, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I think more investigation needs to conducted as to the intoxicating effects of eucalyptus leaves vis a vis "smoking banana leaves." Maybe get some of our Glaucoma Test Pilots in a double blind study. Someone get to work on the IBR right away.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Reporters Terri Langford and Lisa Sandberg are with the Houston Chronicle. Am on the phone with the Houston Chron now...

Posted by: Loomis | May 9, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

No, koalas are STONED.

Posted by: NW DC | May 9, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

TBG, I'm touched by your concern. I'm hanging in. Getting plenty of sleep, taking my vitamin C (fended off some sniffles earlier in the week; may have been allergies), taking advantage of my resident neck rub provider. It wouldn't hurt me to be more consistent with the yoga stretches, but so far so good. Boodle support is much appreciated!

Posted by: bia | May 9, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'd sleep, too, if I were the koala:

Eucalyptus leaves have a very high fiber and low protein content. These leaves are rich in strong odorous oil, phenolic combinations and materials similar to cyanide that are inedible and even poisonous for many mammals. These materials, which are poisonous for other animals, lose their poisonous effect when it comes to the koala's body, for the koala is equipped with a digestive system having a very special anatomy and physiology.

Just as in the case of other herbivorous mammals, the koala cannot digest cellulose, the major component of eucalyptus. However, this task is accomplished by cellulose-digesting microorganisms in the cecum of the koala.

The koala's cecum, which is quite long, opens to large intestine. Indeed, the cecum makes up 20% of the total intestine. Its length is 1.3m long. (Hume, I. D. (1999). Marsupial nutrition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press)

The cecum is the most interesting part of the koala's digestive system. The access of the leaves to the digestive system is delayed right at this point. Thanks to this delay, the microorganisms in the cecum transform the cellulose into a structure from which the koala can benefit. With this structure, the koala's cecum can be likened to a bio-chemical plant. While cellulose is being treated in this plant, oil and phenolic combinations, which are poisonous chemicals, are rendered ineffective in the liver.

As is known, the unique food of the koala is eucalyptus leaves. This means, the animal meets its carbohydrate requirements entirely by cellulose digested by microorganisms. In the absence of microorganisms, it is obvious that the koala cannot survive. The One Who creates these two creatures in perfect harmony is the All-Mighty Allah.

Also, later on in the article: It has a metabolism that ensures maximum use of water taken from leaves.

LL: Think Rick Weiss would be interested in this? Is anyone sequencing the genome of the loala? Loved seeing the eucalyptus trees behind the traffic/critter sign in Joel's photo. Those trees remind me so of the California coast.

Posted by: Loomis | May 9, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Thinking of opera house, NPR news this morning had a report by Ketzel Levine on the Portland Opera chorus, prepping for Aida.

Portland isn't Seattle or San Francisco, but its opera has always had an enthusiastic and competent chorus!

Joel needs to meet a few Australian cycads and conifers.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | May 9, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Wow - Dreamer! Hi! It's nice to see you in here.

CP, congrats on your new job! And dr, you, too.

I can get into Aussie rules football and their bad-a$$ rugby teams, but the lawn bowling and cricket can put me to sleep. Didn't play either as a kid, so I didn't develop any appreciation for them. I'm sure American Football and Baseball can seem as inpenetrable as cricket (granted, a game imported to Oz), if days shorter to play.

The Aussies and Kiwis have a wonderful motorsports scene with fabulous open-road Targa-style rallies (think of it as "The Road Warrior" with stopwatches instead of weapons and mohawked Bad Guys), American-style dirt-track racing (sprint and stock cars), annual visits from the Indycar and Formula 1 series, and their unique and very cool V8 Supercar series, capped by long-distance/endurance events on the majestic Bathurst circuit on Mt. Panorama.

bc

Posted by: bc | May 9, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: dbG | May 9, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: dbG | May 9, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I would add that that the Glaucoma Test Pilot Acrobatic Stunt Team (their equivalent of the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds) is (are?) called the "Koalas," yellojkt.

For good reason.

All of their Aeromatics a have at *least* one "Dude Sleeping it Off" formation ("Missing Man" in conventional terms), except for the "7/11 Junk Food Run" sequence, which involves the "Entemann's" and "Hostess Snacks" manuvers, after which they disperse to the four corners of the airfield and fall asleep watching "The Wizard of Oz" with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" playing over the sound system. It's a rousing closer.

bc

Posted by: bc | May 9, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Hi, I haven't had a chance to visit for maybe a month.

Koalas really aren't cuddly. We went to Melbourne zoo once on a drizzly day 50 yrs ago when my sister was 4 and I was 14. There was nobody there, so the attendant let us hold one while she was cleaning their cage. Its hair was like steel wool, and it had ~1" claws designed for climbing gum trees. The cuddly stuffed toys are made with kangaroo fur.

Posted by: LTL-CA | May 9, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and there's a lot of pirate cricket on Internet. Indian fans (and some of them really are fanantics) send it out using VOIP.

Posted by: LTL-CA | May 9, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

New kit ltl

Posted by: Boko999 | May 9, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Hello?

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Is anybody out there? The latest kit plus boodle is empty. I'm missing my boodle fix!

Posted by: bia | May 12, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Testing, testing...

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Hi
No jokes about women drivers.

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the boodle? Are we broken? Boss?

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the boodle? Are we broken? Boss?

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

How did that double post?

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I've tested all the recent kits. It seems like the bloop kits have blooped.

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

According to a comment on the Backboodle, some people can see these comments and post, but others cannot see even this page--they get the blank screen.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it safe?

bc

Posted by: bc | May 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey, is anybody here?

Posted by: slyness | May 12, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the latter group there 'Mudge, but only with the bloopy kits... it's quite disconcerting.

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Slyness, bc and Kerric and I are here. Don't know who else is monitoring.
How was your Mother's Day?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Oh cr@p, we put a dent in the Old Man's car. He's gonna be p!$$ed, and he'll never let us take it out again, EVAR!"

bc

Posted by: bc | May 12, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If only I had something to say, I would see whether the comments work for me...

Posted by: kbertocci | May 12, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so the boodle is sort of a liquid, it finds any opening and flows through (even if it's just a trickle)...

And liquids are powerful, see the Grand Canyon for example.

Greetings to whoever is here.

Posted by: kbertocci | May 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I just bet this all has something to do with that earthquake in China.

Posted by: RD Padouk | May 12, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mudge! Mother's Day was exhausting. We went to Chapel Hill to graduate the younger dottir. Then we packed up all her stuff in Mr. T's trailer and moved her home. Her dad went with us, fortunately; without both Mr. T and him, we couldn't have gotten all three couches and the rest of her furniture loaded. I stayed with her and helped clean after they left. She and I rolled in at 11 p.m.

Did I mention that she had a lower level apartment, ten steps below street level? And that a lovely little rain shower came up while we were loading?

Yeah, I'm tired. Happy to have her home, but tired.

Posted by: slyness | May 12, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Hi Everyone,it is nice to have inside info,
Still raing heavy in baltimore,the pump held up all night(thank goodness)off to work,worried about my home now and the roads on my way home tonight.

Stay dry everyone

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon, friends. I tried posting this morning under the other kit, but got a white screen. I don't know this to be a fact, but I believe someone at the Washington Post knows that this blog isn't working. Having said that, the next question is, why hasn't the problem been fixed? And if that isn't possible, why doesn't someone simply acknowledge the problem?

Well, after the above questions, I don't know if the comment monster will allow this one to live. You think?

If so, have a great day, folks, in spite of the problems.

Posted by: cassandra s | May 12, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like you worked hard, Slyness. Kids: we're happy when they move out, we're happy when they move back in again. Go figure.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Cautiously tempting the fates of posting a comment.

Happy Monday all, hope of the mothers and grandmothers had a wonderful Mother's Day.

My present was the best gift of all - a trip to Calgary to visit dear friends, of the imaginary variety.

Just looked at a few pictures of the China quake, really awful.

Posted by: dmd | May 12, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Here's a measure of how desparate I was for something to read while I ate lunch: I read the Novak column. And here's an interesting piece of drool from that column:

"One experienced, credible activist in Christian politics who would not let his name be used told me that Huckabee, in personal conversation with him, had embraced the concept that an Obama presidency might be what the American people deserve. That fits what has largely been a fringe position among evangelicals: that the pain of an Obama presidency is in keeping with the Bible's prophecy.

"According to this activist, at the heart of the let-Obama-win movement is longtime Virginia conservative leader Michael Farris -- the nation's leading home-school advocate, who is now chancellor of Patrick Henry College (in Purcellville, Va.) for home-schooled students. ... Farris is regarded as one of the hardest-edged Christian politicians. He is reported in evangelical circles to promote the biblical justification for an Obama plague-like presidency."

The whole column is kind of interesting in a slow-down-to-rubberneck-at-the-car-wreck sort of way. The evangelical wing of the GOP is in even more of a self-destructive suicidal mood than even the Democrats, if such a thing is possible. Yello's hero Ron Paul says he won't vote for McCain; Huckabee is accused of being a two-faced zealot who is supposedly OK with Obama becoming president as a sort of eschatological end-of-days sort of thing, God's punishment of a sinful America, etc. (And here I thought God was only ticked off about New Orleans' gay rights agenda so he sent Katrina to take care of biz. Now I find out its the entire country He's miffed at. Who do you have to sleep with to make the Big Guy happy? Um...Perhaps that's a poor choice of metaphor.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Amazing to see others have naturally migrated to Joel's last true kit. It should make him feel less forgotten.

I heard it's snowing in D.C?

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 12, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I was off buying contraband today for my good friend in North Montana. Success!

It's nice to know we'll all find each other somehow. I was beginning to wonder if we'd have to take over Novak's comments or Celebritology or even yello's blog or something.

Here's a little fun to keep you occupied if this Boodle goes down, too...

Posted by: TBG | May 12, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

No, Wilbrod... no snow but LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of rain. Schools closed all over the place (not in Fairfax, surprising consider their quick "close schools" switch.)

It's finally just a steady tinkle of rain (ewww).. no longer the downpour we've had the past three days. My sump pump is going crazy, but fortunately working.

Posted by: TBG | May 12, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Guess the WGN weatherman was drunk, then. I see it's 51 degrees and raining in Foggy Bottom and thereabouts.

Mudge, this was the same sort of crowd that was OK with Bush being president. I'd argue the fella's already sent a few plagues upon the land.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 12, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, heck, TBG, that link is nothing. Things younger than Curmudgeon:

movable type
The Spanish Inquisition
gunpowder
three-quarters of Loomis's geneology
Richard the Lionheart
The Great Plague (either 1348 or 1666, your choice)
forks and spoons
85% of all popes
George Burns
alchemy
Lancelot (but not Arthur)
Two of the Four Humours
witchcraft
anarcho-syndicalist commune and/or autonomous collectives
cooked food

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Just tested the Bloopy kit. Still down.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

And this is good news for Dems, I think:

Hope this works (posting the comment, I mean). *crossing fingers, thinking good thoughts*

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"Just tested the Bloopy kit. Still down."

Funny to think we know exactly what you were saying there.

:-)

Posted by: TBG | May 12, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Reduced to BackKitting just to suppress the DTs...

Whadda revoltin' development this is.

*very-glad-to-see-SOME-kinda-Boodle-still-exists Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 12, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope everybody's allright. Count your fingers! Having less than ten isn't as bad as forgetting how many you should have.
Remember to count the thumbs. No cheating or we'll never be able to properly assess the damage.

Posted by: Boko9999 | May 12, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

May I have your attention, Boodle? It has come to my attention (while driving at 4 mph on the Beltway this morning in a pretty heavy rain) that we ("we" meaning not only the Boodle, but also Joel, and the greater part of Western Civilization as we know it) had committed a very serious miscarriage of music justice, as it were, during a recent series of Kits, Boodles, and magazine pieces originating across the Big Water in Jolly Old England.

The miscarriage is this: during all our discussions and listings of the greatets guitar riffs of all time, not one single person nominated what just has to be one of the greatest and most memorable riffs of all time (and you will all smack your foreheads when I tell what it is): The opening of the Hollies' "Long, Cool Woman." (There's also a quite excellent riff in the middle of it.)

There, I can now sleep with a clearer conscience.

OK, we need a new Kit and Boodle topic. In the absence of either a real new one, or a substitute one by the two young ladies, I'm throwing this one out right now. Here it is: "Guilty Pleasures": those songs many of us love secretly, but are afraid to admit opening that we love them. These are the songs you sing along to at the top of your lungs when you're all alone in the car and hope no one is watching you.

I shall lead off with some of my abominable favorites (but not in any order):

"Happy Together" by the Turtles
"Sylvia's Mother" by Dr. Hook (Jon Bon Jovi has a very nice cover of it, too)
"The Lion Sleeps Tonight."
The Wedding Song" written by Paul Stookey, sung by Peter Yarrow (yes, I'm a fool and a sucker for this song. I told you this was about guilty pleasures, didn't I?)
"Hey, Girl," by Freddie Scott (you gotta be old to remember this one)
"Sea of Love" by Phil Phillips
"The Color of Love" by Celine Dion (god, this is humiliating. Why did I start this?)
"My Everything" by Barry White

OK, that's enough to get you guys started.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

SCC fewer

Posted by: Boo999 | May 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Last Train to Clarksville
Aunty Griselda
Daydream Believer.

Performed, but not written by the Monkees.
I'm so ashamed.
Mike Nesbitt has done very nicely for himself.

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

That snarky link made me giggle, TBG. Alas, airplanes, the automobile and talkies are probably older than McCain... (but not by much).

However I do believe that the aerobile, the first flying car, is younger than McCain.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 12, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Nesmith

Posted by: Curmudgeon (for Boko) | May 12, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Boo999 - You're a ghost of your former self without a new boodle of the day!

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Of course I want to think only the smart ones figured out where it's at. But maybe it's just the ones jonesing on boodle. Which I was.

When I worked for myself I used to joke that I worked every day until I forgot how to add, or got in a fight with my employee, at which point I would call it a day. Which in a high-physical-exertion job, happened often. Losing arithmetic abilities happened more often, as I had to do lots of it in my head. And I am not a quarreler by nature. By 10 a.m. today, I had lost the ability to add. It's because of 4:00 a.m. work Saturday, and 5:00 a.m. today. I don't adapt like I used to.

Posted by: Jumper | May 12, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Are the other WaPo blogs working? Is it just A-blog that is down? I know I could check it myself but I don't want to--I never go on the other blogs and I assume that some other boodler has already done this research. TBG's earlier comment leads me to believe that at least some of them are working. What's the overall assessment?

Posted by: kbertocci | May 12, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is God's way of telling us we haven't answered the pressing question, "Are Koalas Drunk?", to a theological certainty.
I vote yes.

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

For other reasons in the last few days I've been keeping an eye on news stories relating to hackers. Chinese or whatever. Voice of America got hacked bad with a DOS attack, reputedly out of the former Soviet states.

Posted by: Jumper | May 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow! If one looks under enough rocks.....

How many of you when you first tried the Boodle today said to yourself: "Self, is it just MY computer?"???

DLD

Posted by: DLD | May 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I saw a comment in The Trail comments section about user id's being weird. Just posted a comment on Celebritology. I think the new kids broke the blog.

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

A headline to warm the cockles of my heart: "Bush's Approval Rating Hits All-Time Low"

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Just have to post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rYh_o3W_U&feature=related

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"Bud the Spud" - Stompin' Tom Connors

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Last night, it was my computer. I had to power cycle the blasted Comcast modem to get anywhere. It is funny how many of us have found the working Boodle. We veterans have been through this before, good to see some of the newer folks are resourceful and obsessed.

Happy Together
Sunshine of Your Love
Stand
Vertigo

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"Heap Big Smoke, But No Fire" - Arthur Godfrey.

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"Crabs Walk Sideways But Lobsters Walk Straight"- The Smothers Brothers

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Boko, I very nearly called you Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire on that one...until I Googled it. Now I'm ROTFLMAO.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey all,

1. TBG et al, sorry I missed you guys. I was in Montana this last weekend. I'm glad we were able to organize a welcoming snowstorm!

2. I really liked the Bloop kit (can't read the second one, and hope that this isn't the end of the blog as we know it)

3. Speaking of the End, I also picked up The Road and devoured it (insider ha ha) over the weekend. So a little light confessional is just about right:

4. Most of Duran Duran.

Posted by: SonofCarl | May 12, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

My 3:33 related to your 3:26, Boko.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Running list of comments to add:

I called my mom. I had to track her down at my brother's house. They were up there for his middle son's First Communion. And then in two weeks she has to come her for my son's graduation. Who knew grandmothering required so much travel.

RD,
Those kids are quite clever. The will be good little middle managers some day.

We gave the mother of my child a cooking video game.

She doesn't know how to use a Wii, so we had to play the game for her.

This quasi-boodling just isn't like the real thing. On the upside, I have gotten a lot of work done today.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Rocky Mountain High

Almost any disco song by the BeeGees
(e.g. "You Should Be Dancing")

Elton John's "I'm Still Standing"
("And if our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now...???*&*&?")

And, not really a guilty pleasure because I'll defend it as a quality song, but weird anyway: Jeremy Northam's version of Ivor Novello's "The Land of Might Have Been" from the Gosford Park soundtrack. I love that song and I have played it over and over in my car and at home. I really liked the movie but when the film was over and I was watching the credits and listening to that song, I literally said out loud, if that soundtrack were on sale in the lobby of the theater I would buy it right now.

I kind of drifted off off topic here, didn't I...

Posted by: kbertocci | May 12, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Celebritology seems to be working fine. I stay away from most of the other WaPo blogs on general principal.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

And it's certainly off-topic, whatever that's worth.

It's also apparently SP3 day which is screwing up many people. Automatically. It's a Microsoft thing.

And also now there are hardware-based rootkits to worry about. I refuse to worry; it won't do any good.

Posted by: Jumper | May 12, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Guiltiest listening pleasure- Andy Kim's Rock Me Gently, at least until it gets overplayed in the Jeep commercial.

Posted by: frostbitten | May 12, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

5. yellojkt, I read that grizzly story somewhere else. The best part wasn't in your link - he actually kept going past a few places because he didn't want to scare anyone.

Posted by: SonofCarl | May 12, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Here it is, Bertooch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YaXx6TnaKE

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Wait, was the Calgary BPH last weekend? Details, Boodlers, we want details. And pictures.

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

In other news, I just re-read David Gerrold's "The Man Who Folded Himself." If you look at the poker game the title becomes more telling. I took another look at it because I wanted to go over some time-travel mechanics/paradoxes. My brain is still having a hard time with it, but I've about got it figured out.

Posted by: Jumper | May 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Arthur Godfrey was the first human being I was aware of apart from my parents. I'm sure I retain a flickering black and white image of him as seen past my little fists gripping the restraining bars.

Posted by: Boko999 | May 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

That's it, Mudge. Just took a little trip to the faraway land.........

Okay, I'm back....

Thanks :-)

Posted by: kbertocci | May 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Boko, I don't remember Arthur Godfrey but I have memories of Mitch Miller (Sing Along With Mitch) from age 3 -- "Just follow the BOUNCING ball!"

Posted by: kbertocci | May 12, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

So I'm thinking that the upgrade to italics went horribly wrong?

DLD

Posted by: DLD | May 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I agree that WaPo.com should acknowledge the problem with the A-blog, by putting a notice on the website, letting us know what the problem is and when it's expected to be fixed. On the Blogs page, as far as I can see, it's as if Achenblog never existed. I can feel the umbrage coming on...

Posted by: kbertocci | May 12, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I remember Arthur Godfrey, but real memories have been blooped, thank goodness. I mix him up with Tennessee Ernie Ford. Steve Allen is one of my early TV memories - I have a memory of thinking I saw him in person at a party when I was about 5 - but it wasn't him. Not sure how I could possibly have known about Steve Allen at that age, or if that fits chronologically. I blame it on my older sister and brother, and I must have wound up watching late night TV with them. Or maybe I was older in that memory than I'm thinking.

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't WaPo have a meta-blog site. Wouldn't that be an appropriate place for interruption of services type notices?

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I should confess that I like:
Saturday Night Fever - Bee Gees
Disco Inferno - by who knows? Burn, Baby, Burn, Baby, Burn

I liked the late 60s Bee Gees too. Have not felt compelled to get anything BeeGee on CeeDee, though.

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Just checking in after the weekend to find the newest kit was old and inaccessible and it seems we are going backward in time. Did the tag-team writers burn themselves out with those two-and-three-a-day kits? I kind of hope so, as I couldn't keep up with them.

Posted by: Gomer | May 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

DLD - re: your 3:15 My first thought was that now my IT dept. was blocking the boodle in some abnormal way.

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters
"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" by Gloria Estefan (I can only sing in her key)
"My Eyes Adored You" by Franki Valli
Anything by America

My kids think I know the words to every song on the radio. I do, but these are the ones I belt out the loudest.

Posted by: Aloha | May 12, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll confess to the BeeGee thing, too, especially "Nights on Broadway." I also like the Barry Gibb duet with Barbra Streisand, but can't remember the name of it.

I remember Arthur Godfrey from a very young age; my parents like him (and my brother and I hated him, so you know who won that one: not us). I remember his awaful nasal voice, strumming his stupid ukelele, and fawning over Julius LaRosa (there's a name from the past!). Boko, if we ever get together face-to-face sometime to have a beer, I'll tell you an Arthur Godfrey story that'll set your hair on fire. I couldn't possibly, remotely ever tell it here.

My father liked Godfrey because Godfrey was into airplanes and had a private pilot's license, like my father did. Godfrey flew a twin-engine, maybe a Beech Bobcat, I think. Boy, this is stirring up some incredibly dusty gray cells.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Mostlylurking I think we're on for this weekend (so dr was telling me). I'm sure we'll all have plenty of pictures.

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Scarborough Fair/Canticle, Bridge over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
She Loves Me - Beatles (boy, that goes back to my teenybopper years)
Killing Me Softly with His Song - Roberta Flack (that was the title, wasn't it?)

Yes, I'm absolutely showing my age. I'm okay with that.

Posted by: slyness | May 12, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

As for the song I belt out, it's gotta be "Debra" by Beck.

Sung in falsetto at the top of my lungs,

"I wanna get with you,
Ahhhh girl, and your sister.
I think her name's Debra, oh, oh, AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

Posted by: Gomer | May 12, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

OK, Aloha, which is your favorite America song: Sister Golden Hair, or Ventura Highway? I think I have to give a slight edge to Ventura Highway, even though it has some of the dumbest lyrics ever written.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Ah, ok, thanks, Kerric. I thought I missed something. That'll be me waving in a northeasterly direction. Seems like Calgary should be closer...Now, if I had my own plane...

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, Slyness. I think Scarborough Fair, Bridge, and Killing Me Softly are great songs, but not guilty pleasures because they are bad. They are much too good to be "bad" guilty pleasures. I love the entire Parsley Sage album as well as Bookends and Bridge albums. Can still sing every song by heart (insofar as I can sing at all, which is approximately zero). My alltime favorite line from them is "It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw..." I have no idea why, but jeez, I just love to sing that line. Never been to Saginaw or even within a 1,000 miles of it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow. My refresh is horrible.

Posted by: Kerric | May 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Don't make me break out the Fine 70s Cheese link:

One of the comments has the most comprehensive list of bad 70s songs I have ever seen.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 12, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Running for the bus.

Wilbrod, new episode of "House" at 9.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 12, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Ah Mudge, my favorite is Daisy Jane! Although Ventura Highway comes in a close second with Sister Goldenhair a close third. I play the greatest hits CD so much my kids know all the songs by heart.

Posted by: Aloha | May 12, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Mudge found me and here I am. I have been MISSING y'll. I am keeping office hours for the lost and forlorn and checking the boodle all the live-long day.

Howdy!!

Very wet. Sump pump is sorta workin'....PG gov is closed due to major flooding in Upper Marlborough.

Posted by: College Parkian | May 12, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that is a bad list, yello. I can truthfully say there are only 3 songs I can stand to listen to on it (Cat's in the Cradle, You're So Vain, One Toke over the Line. I owned the Brewer and Shipley album, saw them live, opening for Quicksilver. But I digress.) That list explains why I stopped listening to "rock" in the 70s, went for bluegrass, Andean folk, anything except what was on the radio.

I would recommend Dylan and Neil Young to get the bad tune cooties out of your head.

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 12, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody! I thought it was just me that couldn't get to the boodle. I've been so busy lately that I've only been able to drive by boodle so I didn't catch on that we're going back in time here.

I wish I had something earthshaking (oooh, not the right thing to say, methinks) to impart, but...not. We are getting a whole lot of rain down here in Tidewater and it is CHILLY.

Other than that, all I've got is that I'm with Aloha...Daisy Jane is my America fave.

I hope everyone's off to a great week.

Oh and Mudge - finally watched Lost last night....really good episode, I think. This week's episode looks like a barn burner!

Posted by: Kim | May 12, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

You cannot truly appreciate the Bee Gees discography unless you had an opportunity to hear their pre-disco music played by a Philippino boy band in Okinawa circa '75.
Massachusetts was a tough one for them.

Lately I've been indulging in guilty pleasures once removed- this version of Dancing in the Moonlight for instance

Ooooh, and anything by Tom Jones, ...my my my Delilah, why, why, why Delilah?!

Posted by: frostbitten | May 12, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Had to run out to the store to buy a few things for supper, younger child requested to join me. On the way home she kept up her constant chatter, next thing I know she is asking my opinion of what is cuter a Koala or Panda, her choice was Panda. Made me laugh.

My musical guilty pleasure includes a great deal of homegrown music, Teenage Head, Platinum Blonde, Spoons, Rational Youth, Loverboy - in all cases it is one album that I know every song by heart. I would add to that list my entire collection of Depeche Mode and Chris DeBurgh.

Posted by: dmd | May 12, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

The Calgary BPH is coming up this weekend. At least I hope I didn't miss it.

SonofCarl... Perhaps you can join us?

Posted by: TBG | May 12, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Calgary, watch out, for TBG and DBG are arriving soon. They are our emissaries; they know our wishes.

Resistance is futile.

Posted by: College Parkian | May 12, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, that was a bad link

Posted by: frostbitten | May 12, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, cyclone in Myanmar, twisters in the plains and southern US, earthquake in China, unrest in Lebanon, and flooding in the mid-Atlantic. Lot's going on in the world. All that and Jenna Bush's wedding, which seemed to be a nice understated affair.

Posted by: Aloha | May 12, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

The bloopy boodle is back up.

Posted by: frostbitten | May 12, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I am still getting a white screen.

Posted by: dmd | May 12, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Backposting some bear thoughts for those who are still stuck in koala-land...

"A bear was stuff'd in museums
For those who ne'er saw bear;
To comprehend teeth ursine
Produces sorest fear.

Not one of all the baying hounds
Foresting the prey to-day
Measures the condition,
So dread, of bearishness,

As he, frozen in sniffing
Displayed; with brazen peer
The distant stares of tamed crowds
Holds, agonized and clear. "

Posted by: Wilbrodog Dickinson | May 12, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse