Dispatch From the World's End

IMG_2252.jpg

CAPE LEEUWEN, Western Australia

The lighthouse is on a finger of granite and limestone poking out to sea. To the right is the Indian Ocean. To the left is what they call the Southern Ocean. Out there somewhere across the blue water is Antarctica. This is the southwestern corner of Australia -- and just about as far from Washington as a person can possibly go without actually leaving the planet Earth entirely.

The fellow in the gift shop at the lighthouse, Bob Cooper, likes Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

"I think he's just straight honest," Cooper says. "I think it'll be a good change for America."

Everywhere in Australia, from the eucalyptus forests of the coast to the dry red center of the continent, people want to know about the American presidential contest. You can't escape it. On Monday morning, the Northern Territory News, a tabloid on sale at the airport in Alice Springs, smack in the heart of the Outback, had a two-deck, six-column headline spanning an inside page:

Obama camp has sights
On nomination victory

Richard Glover, a prominent radio host in Sydney, says his program often deals with the American presidential race.

"The identity of the American president has a big impact here -- remember we're the only country that has been with America in every war you've fought, including Vietnam," he says by e-mail. "Apart from the significance of the election, there's also something about the Clinton-Obama battle that anyone can understand -- race vs. gender, experience vs. a fresh approach."

Australians are following their own politics as well. People are still buzzing about the new prime minister, Kevin Rudd, whose first public speech was an apology to Aborigines for historic mistreatment by the Australian government -- a gesture that the previous prime minister, John Howard, had resisted. And the recent unveiling of the Labour Party's new budget received breathless coverage. TV stations covered Budget Day with live feeds as the treasurer announced his plans. The Australian, the national newspaper, came out the next morning with a 14-page liftout section covering Budget '08 from every conceivable angle.

Meanwhile, there are less decorous matters in the news, particularly in Western Australia, where a prominent politician has been forced to admit to boorish behavior. As reported on the front page of the West Australian, member of parliament Troy Buswell confessed "that he sniffed the chair of a female Liberal staff member." Another official stands accused of having "lifted the top" of a female MP. There were also reports of drunken crotch-grabbing and bra-snapping. The situation seemed to be spiraling out of control as party elders feared that they were becoming the laughing stock of the entire planet. At one point the admitted chair-sniffer was forced to address an Internet rumor -- a hoax, it turned out --- that he had, during a visit to Rottnest Island, "mistreated a quokka." This apparently refers to some kind of small marsupial.

So American politics is part of a lively matrix of news. Sen. John McCain doesn't seem to be getting much attention here so far -- the Democrats dominate the coverage and the chatter.

"I think the Democrats are doing a wonderful job of beating themselves up," says Gavin Prideaux, a paleontologist at Flinders University in Adelaide.

Charlie Dortch, an archaeologist born in Georgia, but a resident of Western Australia for the past four decades, thinks it would be a mistake for Obama to pick Clinton as his running mate. He'd rather see the vice presidency become a more ceremonial job. "I think the vice president should be the chap who's cutting ribbons at new hospital openings," he says.

The campaign was Topic A on Glover's radio show after the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

"I just don't get Obama," declared Gary Linnell, editor at large of the Daily Telegraph and a guest on the radio show.

Australians, explained Glover, are plain-spoken and aren't comfortable with lofty rhetoric.

"Our politicians tend to be more prosaic, more practical, less soaring," Glover said.

A number of politicians have come on his show and declared their support for one of the American candidates ("I'm sure their verdicts were breathlessly reported over there!" Glover said).

Obama's signature line, "Yes we can!", has become an audio prop for Glover. He has it on tape, ready to roll with the push of a button.

"Can we check the Sydney traffic?" someone might ask.

"Yes we can!" Obama will answer.

[Cross-posted from The Trail.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  May 19, 2008; 5:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let's Show Up Those S. Fla. Weirdos
Next: Iron Man vs. the Hulk

Comments

number one! Primero! First!

Never happen again!

Posted by: nellie | May 19, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear from you Boss!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 19, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Also good to be able to read the boodle, alot of catching up to do.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 19, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Yay Joel. I've missed you, not that the women haven't done well but there's nothing like having you Kit. If Australia wasn't so darn far from everyone I know and love, I would be so tempted to move there. You might want to remind Mr. Glover that we've had prosaic and plain-spoken for 7 1/2 years and we are ready to elect someone with a brain, even if he does talk sorta fancy.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | May 19, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I've got lots more photos of Oz to post and will do so in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile, Nelson Hernandez, ace reporter, a young lad -- gosh he's a mere 30 years old, methinks -- is going to do some blogging for us. Nelson works for the Post in Prince George's County and is a terrific writer.

I'm flying back to the USA later today. Ready to be back on home soil. Ready to drink my own coffee again etc.

Posted by: Achenbach | May 19, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Joel's coming home! Yay!

The girls have done a fabulous job, but we've missed you, Boss.

Looking forward to reading the Australia story, though.

Posted by: slyness | May 19, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Western Australian politicians mentioned above were either smacked silly or sported a shiner for a few days. Or both.

Posted by: LostInThought | May 19, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

hmmmm.... I wonder if the refresh problem has carried over to the new kit....

Posted by: Kerric | May 19, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I hear thunder, but it' only overcast...
 Going off topic as soon as I am able...

I think I was three hundred and first on last boodle.

So many peeps I want to say a word up to (Jack, Kerric, Mudge, TBG) that by the time I catch up I've forgotten what

Jack Uncle RIP
Kerric, Good on ya
..and then, nothing

I do remeber sometinthning for Wilbrod about bike lanes, byt my tipping scales have gone way town hill since that secconf Boddies....

If remember tomorrow, will post it.

OK, that misspelling para wa the keyboard thing again, and just keft it be ( this one two)

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Nope. Just awful quiet. Good kit boss. It'll be nice to have you back. Can't wait to see the slideshow.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Just had a thought:

Jack's Uncle in BAL with Error

I tink I my got LTM SCC card revoked for good...

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Great to hear from you Joel! Strange and unnatural goings-on have occurred in your absence. Oddly-flavored fortune cookies. Beautiful young women in animal suits. Several days of good weather.

It's always fruitful to observe how people in other lands view American politics. You can learn tremendous amounts about a country's priorities and perspectives that way. And it is always surprising to learn that there is typically a lot less giggling involved than one would initially assume.

Posted by: RD Padouk | May 19, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Dortch apparently has forgotten what First Ladies are for, but I had to laugh at his comment.

I seem to remember Quayle had a job just like what he describes, only in his case he would show up for every funeral of famous leaders. In fact, he publicized the risks of compartment syndrome because he got a leg clot from all the air hours he logged in.

I suspect Al Gore almost wishes he had just done the global funeral tour, instead of getting embroiled in fundraising scandals at the White House.

Yeah, that'd be the ticket-- Clinton claws her way to the vice-presidency, and Obama makes her do first lady duties nonstop, after a bitter campaign. That'd be enough to make anybody go amok with cermonial scissors out of rage.

Dortch is right.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 19, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Boss! Welcome home! I'm guessing your suitcase is full of billibongs and that terrific tube thing that makes that great bwong-bwoooong sound (I think maybe they call it a bwong-bwoooong) and other souvenirs, both venomous and non.

And with all due respect (one suspects not much) to the (one supposes) estimable Richard Glover and his noble sentiment that Aussies have stood with us in every war we've ever had, I don't much recollect their participation in the Revolutionary War, their country not yet having been founded. Nor the War of 1812. Or the Mexican-American War (not my favorite, but still, I don't recollect Crocodile Dundee helping storm Chapultepec). Um...the Civil War. The Spanish-American War (which, if I remember, was largely either Spanish, or American in its constituent parts). I've left out the Seminole War, the War of Jenkins Ear, and the Billie Jean King/Bobby Riggs Match, the Chesapeake Bay Oyster Wars, the War on Poverty, the War on Inflation (Jerry Ford's "Whip Inflation Now"; remember that golden oldie? Took a bullet in the leg in that one), and the Culture Wars (yogurt versus staphlococcus). Of course, I *will* give them credit for the Big Four, WW's I and II, Korea, and Vietnam (our record in those: 3-1).

Wilbrod, strap yourself in for Part II of that "House" two-parter tonight at 9.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 19, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Already strapped in, Mudge. I was hoping House would get Foreign Accent syndrome, but doesn't look like it.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 19, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey! I forgot to tell you... Son of G picked me up at the airport last night with the great news that he had sold his first car yesterday!

Woo hoo!

Posted by: TBG | May 19, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, boss, glad to see you're still OK and haven't been bitten by one of those nasty Aussie critters down there (and not just the MPs).

Their perspective on American politics from Oz *is* interesting. This is a good Kit, I'm amused and appalled at the same time. And I'm wondering if omni's looking to purchase the "Aussie MPs Gone Wild!" box set for the Bunker...

On a somewhat related note, Shankar Vedantam's latest "Human Behavior" piece in today's Post discusses some unusual - but reasonably accurate - predictive models for the November elections based on Primary Performance, turnout and party unity:

bc

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I took up Cello in Sixth grade and never really practiced.

It's songs like this that truly make me regret that, But then I can't help but totally tear up when I hear it. So I doubt I could ever play it...

When I say tear up. I'm not just saying that. I'm practically

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, CP Yoki, I'll ship the boy as soon as I catch him. And don't worry about the shortfall on the vaccuuming thing. He does it.

I did notice that the young miss was down early and there I was sitting right in the middle of them. Just like a 'mother' to do that.

Our drive was not great. For a while there I thought I was going to fly past TBG, dbg, and dmd. The van likes to pretend it has sails when it is windy. We went off the main road, and took some back roads where there was better protection from the wind and less traffic.

Joel, nice kit, and even nicer photo.

Posted by: dr | May 19, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Son of G.

I'll celebrate your first sale by having steak!

Posted by: Kerrrrric | May 19, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Three cheers for SonofG.

Welcome home Joel.

Were House to ever acquire a foreign accent I do believe there is a strong possibility I would swoon.

Posted by: dmd | May 19, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Son of G!

Posted by: dr | May 19, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Yay for the new Kit! Congrats to Son of G!

Nice pics from the Calgary BPH. From what I can tell, all the dr boys have amazing eyes. We already knew how clever Kerric is. Glad you're getting the ear infection taken care of - yikes!

I've been at jury duty all day. I'm on a trial, which I can't talk about, but it's not icky or gory or anything. The prosecuting attorney looks to be my son's age (mid twenties), reminds me a little of him. We deliberate in the morning - then go back into the jury pool till Thursday. I'm reading Tony Horwitz's Blue Latitudes, during the frequent waiting times.

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 19, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

You are home safe dr?

Also in my imagine Error and jack's uncle are raising a toast to the boodle with Selena and Kirstie MacColl, how cool would be it in BAL

I'm on a dance break, but not break dancing, I love Kirstie

Strange, but hip action makes my thighs feel less sore...

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Son of G sang "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" during his sale.

Well done, G-Spawn.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 19, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

...verklempt. (Finishing omni's 8:26 for him, because he is/was, well, verklempt. See, that's how verklemptness works.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 19, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

But when JO depresses me I listen to this and and and.....

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

This is so strange because I was getting the ESP messages but my computer was saying nothing had happened on the A-blog since 2:00 p.m. All's right with the world again, now, for a little while.

I hope your return journey is pleasant, Joel. Looking forward to the pictures.

Posted by: kbertocci | May 19, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Tanks Mudge

I really do have tears running down my cheeks every time I listen to that.

oh, and JO is Jane Oliver

The other is a boodle favorite: a Mutya Buena song featuring Emma Watson. Also brings tears but for a whole other reason. Happy tears

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I just thought everyone decided to celebrate our holiday with us, repeatedly tried to get my screen to refresh but just saw the same 2:21 post.

Posted by: dmd | May 19, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Gotta be WaPo, not browser issues, or Safari or Mozilla or IE or whatever. Gotta be.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 19, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

you know, I'll never stop posting those YouTube...

OK, I'll stoop now

Bed time for me

Maybe not?

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

JA, whatever you do on the way home, don't take a Flight 816

Is that that right wrong number?

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Quick sports news, John Lester, who came back from a bout with cancer two years ago, just pitched a no-hitter for the Red Sox!

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | May 19, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

2-1-1 Didgeridoo

Posted by: Boko999 | May 19, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait, was it Oceanic 815, carp and dang.

Since I've forfeited my LTM SCC card, anybody who knows better can correct me here.

pillow calls

tchau and saya

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Lovely, I catch Mudge's heads up on the House Part II just to discover the writers are manipulative b@$tards. My eyes were nearly swollen shut from crying with Kim at Cranford last night, now this....
and boodle refresh troubles besides.

Posted by: frostbitten | May 19, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Joel, did you discuss VP Cheney with Mr. Dortch?

(Note: Resisting the temptation to suggest that Cheney might not use scissors for ribbon cutting; he'd use a shotgun.)

bc

Posted by: bc | May 19, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

nara

Posted by: omni | May 19, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, if Joel's suitcase is in fact full of billabongs, he and his fellow passengers are going to be in big trouble.

Maybe that's what happened on Flight 815.

Posted by: Dreamer | May 19, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Very much so, Frostbitten.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 19, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Heckuva "House" episode, didn't ya think, Wilbrod? Might be Emmy worthy.

Bad, that's incredible. No-hitters are rare enough as it is; to throw one after coming back from cancer...well, that's just somewhere out on the other side of amazing. Out in Lance Armstrong territory.

Oceanic Flight 815, omni.

Weather gal predicting 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of rain here starting before dawn tomorrow, bad rush hour.

Hitting the pillows soon, methinks. 'Night, Boodle.

Hmph. Just occurred to me: what with the time differences, Wilbrod might not have seen the "House" episode yet. Wilbrod, get out the hankies.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | May 19, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Loved the House episode, and now a local channel is showing a Hugh Laurie biography - what a night. Very interesting bio.

Posted by: dmd | May 19, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

No, I saw it along with you Mudge. Primetime starts at 7 EST here.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 19, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I totally forgot to wish our Canadian buddies a happy Victoria Day! Hope you enjoyed your long weekend.

Posted by: TBG | May 19, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Got to see some fireworks going off as my plane approached the airport last evening - such a welcome home :-)

My dog is currently cowering from the sound of fireworks.

Managed to find a Webkinz Koala, and a stuffed Burnese Mountain Dog - I was able to bask in my children's gratitude today.

Posted by: dmd | May 19, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful moon rising tonight over the Sears building. Much rather see it rise over the mountain, but it still looks lovely. We too are expecting more rain on the way. It has been a very wet spring and the river has been very high and muddy. I want to go fishing and take my little buddy fishing too.

Wow on the no hitter, Boston seems to keep rolling on, I wonder how long before the new Yankee's manager is on the hot seat,if he is not already!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 19, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

In other news, my father has suddenly remembered that he thinks he might have maybe seen Obama on a flight to Boston back in 1991, when I was living in Cambridge MA and my parents came to visit me from Oz. Dad said he was sitting across from a young African-American man who looked like he "was somebody." Apparently this individual was delivering a soliloquy, to no-one in particular, on airline peanuts, along the lines of, "Wouldn't you think they'd be able to give us something better, like cashews?"

The young man made quite an impression on my father -- apparently there was something powerful about the way he spoke -- and when Dad recently saw Obama on TV, he suddenly remembered the voice and made the connection that it was probably the same person.

When Dad tells friends and family in Australia about the encounter, they say, "Yeah, right." But I guess it COULD have been Obama. For one thing, Dad has since discovered that Obama was president of the Harvard Law Review at the time of the alleged sighting, which would place him on Boston-bound flights.

Still, I have to admit that the idea of Obama sitting on a plane getting passionate about airline peanuts versus cashews sounds a bit like something out of a Seinfeld episode. Then again, maybe he just liked to practice his speech-making skills with whatever material he had on hand.

Posted by: Dreamer | May 19, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

SCC: CST.

Oh yes, those episodes where House's brain mixes with reality tend to have endless twists, Mudge.

Remember the "Three Stories" House tells to a roomful of interns? With Carmen Electra?

That said, this cliffhanger promises a different direction for House, but we've been fooled before, such as when House's leg improved.

But gosh, such a strong finale for Anne Dudek. This should keep her career on the rise. We shed a few tears for Cutthroat B when she died, amazing ain't it?

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 19, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Nelson H. writes important pieces on local schools for my county, the forgotten one in these-here parts. We rely on him to get some of the better or -- worser :( -- stories out. Good idea, boss. We will behave in an on-topic sort of way. Bring on the Nelsonator-blog phase.

Good for you, Kerric on such a good nature. Joshing you, 'natch. And Son of G, good for you on the sale. For fun, be sure to check out Herb Tarlick from WKRP: how NOT to be a salesman.

Sigh: still working away on ideas (elusive) and writing that is stalled. Will begin grading 66 papers tomorrow. AND, I must post grades for about 200 other folk. If I don't post by noon tomorrow, send in the posse, with buckets for bailing. Mudge, thanks for the rain heads up.

Posted by: College PrinceGeorgian | May 19, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Dreamer, that's surreal the way you describe it.

Posted by: Wilbrod | May 19, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Great Trail cross-post, Boss, but is Obama or Hillary gonna win their primary?

Congrats to SoTBG. don't spend it all in one place.

I just realized that 815 is 101 more than 714 and we all know what that means. Oooooh!

Posted by: yellojkt | May 20, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Good to hear from you, Joel. I was beginning to think you were floating in space---not that you'd mind that. Now back to finish reading your post.

College Parkian--maybe you won't have to wait for salad days to visit out West.

Glad all the folks had a good time at Yoki's. It sounded lovely.

It was very warm here today. Imagine that! It takes a long time but late spring and summer are marvelous here.

Posted by: eidrib | May 20, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to all for the positive energy. I've been rather depressed in the face of losing the last of the three leading men of the family. OTOH, everyone has a new body and an everlasting life, and I am blessed to be able to wake each morning with the hope of making a difference in someone's day. I am also able to dote on my wife and children. Today is a day worth celebrating, as it's my dear wife's birthday. Her day will begin with the sight and scent of the roses sitting on the kitchen counter. I may even try baking a cake.

Welcome home, Joel. I look forward to the sights from Oz.

Posted by: jack | May 20, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer, that's so funny. It could have been Obama! And I say, bring on the cashews! Did you see where Robert Byrd endorsed Obama? Now that's surreal...

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 20, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

jack, hope you have a good day. It's sad to lose people you're so close to.

Posted by: mostlylurking | May 20, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I have problems with refreshing at the A-blog as well. I have been having problems with WaPo website since Friday. I can load the homepage but get a blank page when I click to read the articles.

Jack, so sorry to hear about your uncle. Hope you day went well.

Son of G, congratulations on your first sale. I think you should go out and celebrate on a job well done. When I got my first pay cheque, I went out and pig out with friends.

Posted by: rainforest | May 20, 2008 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Slyness, how did the concert with the new organ go?

Posted by: rainforest | May 20, 2008 3:32 AM | Report abuse

profundus

Posted by: omni | May 20, 2008 3:43 AM | Report abuse

Hi Dreamer

Posted by: omni | May 20, 2008 4:08 AM | Report abuse

Hi rainforest

Posted by: omni | May 20, 2008 4:21 AM | Report abuse

Hi Omni. You're up early. This is usually Scotty's hour. He's late this morning.

Posted by: rainforest | May 20, 2008 4:41 AM | Report abuse

....maybe not late. But he come on shortly.

Posted by: rainforest | May 20, 2008 4:43 AM | Report abuse

Dreamer!!!! *early Grover waves* :-)

Dangit, I hate it when unpacking and arranging furniture keeps me away from no-hitters! *stompin' feet again* FWIW, the Royals aren't a pushover this year! :-)

And in another intersection of sports and news -- Folks, disturbing image alert...

:-O *jaw drop in "Home Alone" mode*

At least my new laptop arrived yesterday and works wonderfully. :-)

'Mudge, I was thinkin' Joel might have pointed out The Man in the Basement didn't have much help from Down Under in his struggles, but JA's polite and all, so...

*slowly-settling-into-the-new-routine-but-not-lloking-forward-to-a-very-soggy-commute Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 20, 2008 4:45 AM | Report abuse

Ooooooh, yer good, rainforest!!! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 20, 2008 4:46 AM | Report abuse

SCC: he'll

Posted by: rainforest | May 20, 2008 4:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey rainforest! The concert was wonderful. She even played blues!

Now...new kit!

Posted by: slyness | May 20, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Nice, nice article.

Posted by: Mary Wilson | May 20, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

vinegarer odorivector preintelligent formicide textman inverminate paideutics scandix
MRL Services, Inc.