Billions and Billions of Blogs

IMG_2827.jpg

Here's an action shot of my laptop (and, if you look closely, cellphone) at the Sideling Hill Bureau of the A-blog. I know, it's edge-of-your-seat stuff. I can blog from almost anywhere now, thanks to the miracle of the Aircard, though the connection speed is sometimes so slow that the Irritation Co-efficient reduces to negative numbers the journalistic gain of posting. Plus there's the constant problem of having nothing to say to begin with. Silence is the only safe harbor when on the road.

But please keep posting/sending blogroll suggestions. We've gotten a lot of good ones so far and I plan to mine the boodle suggestions when I'm back on home turf. In the meantime, here are a bunch of blogroll ideas from physics blogger Jennifer Ouellette, who writes at Cocktail Party Physics and Twisted Physics and whose spousal unit blogs at Cosmic Variance (the following blogs are ones she reads regularly):

3 Quarks Daily [Basically they post links to interesting articles/blog posts, etc. from all over the web, about the arts, science, poetry, politics, philosophy, you name it.]

Geoff Manaugh/BLDGBLOG

[nominally about architecture, but so much more.... art, space, science, culture, you name it...]

Khymos Blog (molecular gastronomy)

[The science of food and cooking. Check out the TGRWT series in the sidebar -- i.e., They Go Really Well Together -- about unlikely flavor combinations based on molecular structure of various foods/flavors]

Dooce/Heather Armstrong

[Blogging pioneer. First person to be fired for blogging about her job, now known as being "Dooced." Former Mormon, lives in Utah, blogs about personal stuff very humorously, excellent photographer]

The QC Report (Quinn Cummings' blog)

[Former actress Quinn Cummings is now a writer living in LA with a Consort and a Daughter and very funny blog]

Jon Swift

[18th century satirist takes on 21st century political follies. People routinely miss the satire.]

io9 (Strung Out on Science Fiction)

[Probably the best blog devoted to all things sci-fi.]

John Scalzi/Whatever

[Sci-Fi author who writes about whatever catches his fancy, even just a picture of bacon taped to his cat]

The Beauty Brains

[Three female science sorts answer questions about cosmetics. Smart, funny, savvy... and pink!]

Sciencegeekgirl

[Kinda says it all. Has photos, longer posts about science, ideas for at-home experiments, etc. Recently featured Margaret W's crocheted coral reef.]

Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog

[written entirely in Chaucerian English. Check out some of the "classics" posts, like when he summarizes all his email spam: "A faire mayden seeks myne companee...."]

Damn Interesting

[for those of us who adore bizarre historical oddities]

[She has more suggestions but I gotta hit the road again ... more to come ...]

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 16, 2008; 1:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Just For Yocks
Next: Those Dang Double Dippers

Comments

so is billon (no second 'i') some kind of meta joke - a new yorker cover kind of thing - that i dont get or is my vocabulary deficient

Posted by: tonk | July 16, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that list. My productivity was getting so high that I was in danger of annoying the other workers on the line. This'll fix that problem up right quick.

Posted by: RD Padouk | July 16, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

?

Posted by: S | July 16, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Billon is a gold or silver alloy of less value, sort of like blog.

Posted by: Shiloh | July 16, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I find this picture quite intoxicating.

Note how the juxtaposition of the silver cellphone and the black laptop makes such an obvious statement about suburban angst. Observe the way the addition of the red picnic table builds upon this chromatic theme by recapitulating primordial cave paintings. And that aircard antenna protruding at a jaunty angle introduces the salient menace of encroaching existentialism without ever becoming excessively metaphysical. It all combines to create a synergistic masterpiece of post-industrial morphological commentary.

Plus, that green stuff in the background is kinda pretty too.

Posted by: RD Padouk | July 16, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

That is, billon is a diminished precious metal, as a blog is a diminished form or abridgment of weB log. They each retain something precious.

Posted by: Shiloh | July 16, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

i see - dross on the hill as it were

Posted by: tonk | July 16, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

So, the boss is travelling around the Pennsy Turnpike area, eh? That bike trail through Ohiopyle is part of a system that is almost done that connects Pittsburgh with DC via railtrails and the C&O Canal towpath. The Yough is about 6 blocks from our McKeesport perch, where the river flows into the Monongahela (giving the Mon-Yough region its name). The trail folk are working on trying to get a separate trail through McKeesport so you don't have to detour onto city streets. The old B&O line through town was taken up in the 1960's, well before the rails to trails movement gathered steam (ahem!). The other gap is/was at Savage Tunnel near the Maryland border above Frostburg. The Chessie System (now CSX) sealed the tunnel when the line was closed, and there needs to be some substantial maintenance done before it is safe to pass through.

Posted by: ebtnut | July 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

RD, all I see when I look at that picture is, a picnic table and nice scenery, and the only freakin' thing on the table is a laptop?

Where's the load of bread, jug of wine, and fordin' maidens with jugs?

It shows how work has sterilized the laptop owner's soul to the point he has forgotten big words.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, good one tonk!
Alloyke.

Posted by: DNA Girl | July 16, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Ohmigosh, that reminds me, Wilbrod. Where is Mudge? Did he say that his trip to the doctor would take all day? I'm gonna worry about him now.

Posted by: slyness | July 16, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, he's probably a prisoner of a doctor's waiting room. We'll just have to wait until he gets parole.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I think that if the real Jonathon Swift found out that his name was being misused without his knowledge, he'd be real mad. Mad enough to eat a baby.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | July 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

RD sounds like my older daughter, who went to College Park to learn how be an art teacher. Trouble of it is, the only job that she's been able to find is waitressing. Some return on my tution outlay.

While I'm whining, my younger daughter just got laid off of her summer college job of being an aircraft mechanic. High price of gas cut recreational and small business flying to the bone, so less operating hours. So, both my daughters, on either end of the aesthetic spectrum, are on the skids.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | July 16, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Just the name gives me indigestion. Whiny self-indulgent rambling about how cute her dog and kids (in that order) are.

I'm a big fan of GawkerMedia blogs (both Pop Socket and Mo MoDo are regular commenters on them), but io9 is just a little too scattershot and spoiler-prone.

My latest guilty pleasure is Consumerist which has daily tales of shady practices at airlines, credit card companies, and huge impersonal retailers of all types.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Some of us see whiny self-indulgent rambling and some of us are laughing too hard to really see anything.

Posted by: Yoki | July 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I remember that too, but I didn't remember who Doonce was either.

I do remember somebody got fired for blogging and I was like "yes, use some freakin' common sense, no? Never piss on the workplace you swim in."

Even my dog blogs, so that would be my meta-commentary.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Jon Swift did a decent job of satirizing the satire. As for how Jonathan Swift would react, I can only say that I have carefully avoided Swift's canned hams since I was a baby.

Posted by: Shiloh | July 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of cute kids, try this:

Short n sweet. Go Back to february 15 for a great political commentary from a 4 year old.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,

Reasonable people can disagree and I have been known to be wrong in the past. Out of morbid curiousity, I went over and checked out Dooce just to make sure. The second post was about how her and her daughter pretend to vomit in unison. I nearly joined them. Only not pretend.

I will confess to finding YarnHarlot amusing, if not my cup of tea. Live and let live. That is why there are billyuns and billyuns of blogs out there.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Guess that's my only blog recommend.

I just love the line from March 10, 2006 on that blog too.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for all the kids of these MommyBloggers to grow up and write tell-all books about how cruel their childhood was always being constantly forced to pose for pictures and say obnoxiously cute things in order to keep mommy in vodka.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

That whiny self-indulgent rambling is going to result in the men in white coats coming to take away the woman laughing uncontrollably for no apparent reason.

Posted by: Raysmom | July 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "she and her daughter.."

Dooce has better grammar than I do. Yeah, that's why she has the big bucks. It's gotta be.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I hear you, yello. I'm working on my tell-all book right now about my image being pimped out on the internet.

I mean, I've never been allowed to lick myself while being photographed. Not even once. I bet everybody else gets to do that, but NOOO not me.

Posted by: Wilbrodog | July 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

raysmom! At a side boodle event for some of the locals:

TBG
Maggie OD
CParking

(where you would have fit right in) This line of yours would have worked fine:

"...men in white coats coming to take away the woman laughing uncontrollably for no apparent reason."

Wow, if I don't get home from a Ladies of the Boodle lunch, then call Raysmom to spring me from the Barmy House.

Posted by: College Parkian | July 16, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Don,
Sorry to hear about your girls. I hope they get back on their feet soon. At least they both have you. A lot of teaching jobs open up very close to school starting, so she needs to keep in touch with those HR depts.

My wife ended up subbing for a year because she wasn't as persistent as I thought she should be. Her sub job turned into a position she held for ten years, so it worked out fine.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

CP, I will be most glad to spring you from that place, provided they don't mistakenly believe I'm there for a voluntary commitment.

Posted by: Raysmom | July 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"It's so tragic!"

I used to read Dooce way back when. It somehow fell off my bookmark list and I haven't visited for years.

Another favorite, although he has been idle lately, is The Sneeze at http://www.thesneeze.com/

I think the last time I linked to The Sneeze, we lost mo for several days while she dove around in there. Good stuff will keep you very entertained.

And any blog that mentions Clever Hans is OK in my book--that would be the Damn Interesting one Joel mentioned above.

Posted by: TBG | July 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

At last I am able to use the word umbarge. This afternoon's mail brought an appeal for money from John McCain (probably about the 12th for this election cycle). Ya see, over eight years ago I made a small donation to him when he was running against Bush for the nomination. I have been on the list ever since. I have put all the request in the recycle bin and forgot about them. But this one is different. This one sent me a new dollar bill, and a request for $1,000 or if I couldn't spare that much, he would accept $750. And an envelope to return the dollar & my pledge/check/whatever. So, I put the dollar in the envelope to go into tomorrow's outgoing mail. The umbarge I feel is for the poor souls who have donated to him, so that he could turn around and send out their money to people like me. I wonder how many people will just pocket the money.....how many people got this looney, absolutely looney solicitation? Umbarge, indeed!

Posted by: VintageLady | July 16, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I got an e-mail today offering me a chance to win two nights and travel expenses at the Democratic convention if I would donate $25 to the Obama campaign. Does the MSM know that Barack is soliciting cash from sock puppets? Someone should investigate.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | July 16, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

TBG, no, goes like this:

"It is SOOOO tragic." Looks of authentic sympathy and peels of muted-maniacal laughter.

Twas truly that. Gallows humor? At least we were talking and laughing about ourselves.

Right, Raysmom, we would both be in cells. Better page someone else. Don/270 and RD with their veneer of goverment-bureau-authority. Black copter too.

Posted by: College Parkian | July 16, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I haven't yet followed the link to "Damn Interesting" -- but if you like the classic folk tale of Clever Hans, then I propose that you will adore Ralph Chatham's modern version, "Clever Jill and the Peach Tree of Doom"
( http://www.voicesintheglen.org/tellers/rchatham/programs.shtml )

Posted by: StorytellerTim | July 16, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

TBG (talk about tragical!)

"clever Hans" always makes me think of
"Strumpfel Peter" as Barvarians say but also known as "slovenly Peter'

Scary Scary Scary book about the little man with the giant scissors who cuts on the thumbs of thumbsucking children,etc.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Be careful. Nightmares ahead.

Posted by: College Parkian | July 16, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod ... when you say "dog blogs," do you mean blogs about dogs? If so, could you post a link?

Posted by: KPage | July 16, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Mo modo, did they promise you a seat at the convention? ;-)

Posted by: VintageLady | July 16, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm the dog, and here's my blog, kpage.

For a quicker look at all my pictures:

Posted by: Wilbrodog | July 16, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Here is what they are offering:

"If you make a donation in any amount before midnight on July 31st, you could be selected to travel to Denver for the last two days of the convention, including the final event -- Barack's acceptance of the Democratic nomination for President before 75,000 people.

"Ten supporters will be selected from all over the country, and each will be able to bring one guest. We'll provide airfare, accommodations, and two days of convention activities -- including a private meeting with Barack before his historic speech."

They are calling it Backstage With Barack. He truly is a rockstar.

Now here is the way to do magazine cover satire:

I feel like humming songs from "Bye Bye Birdie".

Posted by: Mo MoDo | July 16, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt: //dbG the other day correctly remembered (and I am stunned that anyone pays any attention to me whatsoever) that I am no fan of Dooce://

Par for the course, yello. Every man I've ever known has commented at least once that he couldn't believe I remembered a specific conversation almost word for word (while he remembered maybe the general drift).

I wish this were a marketable, highly remunerative skill.

I love dooce's occasional turn of phrase, self-deprecation and sense of how ridiculous we all are. She also reminds me of an old friend with whom I always had a great time. When Heather writes of diving off the top of the refrigerator topless, I think of my friend. Of course, YMMV.

Posted by: dbG | July 16, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Ah, so it's chick humor? You gotta get ovaries to understand then, Yello.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

That is a truly remarkable skill, dbG.

Here's how sad I am: I had to backboodle to remember that it was you that posted that. And I had to re-check the post three times to get the capitalization right in your boodle handle.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrodog

Good arf-arf pitchahs.

Posted by: Alexey Braguine | July 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Yello, I can't think of another man who has *appreciated* it. These aren't conversations at work I'm remembering! :-)

I'm confident if you remembered what dbG stood for, you'd have no trouble getting the capitalization right, it's the lack of context that's the problem.

Somehow I'm reminded of the first little girl I coached in reading for Philadelphia Reads. She was very quiet and respectful, very smart, always dressed in clean and pressed clothes by her grandmother, hair always in order. Many kids in the program didn't have these advantages. One day she told me she loved Lucy in Peanuts because Lucy yelled and pushed people.

Maybe Dooce is the shadow self of those of us who find her hysterical.

Posted by: dbG | July 16, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Can you be Batman?

Interesting debate in the comments about fighting off multiple attackers and "Lancaster's Law".

And speaking of multiple attackers, there's a honeybee vs crow smackdown in Tokyo! Apparently they're hoping it'll do the terns a good turn.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Brag.

That makes me feel better about being photographed like a fool.

Posted by: Wilbrodog | July 16, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. As sensitive and new-agey as I am, there are things I just don't get. I never really understood Jeanne Marie Laskas either. That other humor columnist they used to have was better.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

CP! Strumpfel Peter! You would have loved being with us in New York several years ago when we saw "Shockheaded Peter," a very creepy musical retelling of those cautionary tales, with music by The Tiger Lilies. They did it sort of Victorian, with interesting perspective sets and classic effects for blood and death (red scarves rippling out of sleeves, etc.). It was wonderful.

I think the review in the NYT that made us hop on a plane is probably available in its archives. Amazing.

Posted by: Yoki | July 16, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I live on Sideling Hill in West by god,stop in and say Hello Joel. Oh wait I am at work,but my house is open. Feel free to help yerself to anything you want,except for the Ben & Jerry's in the freezer.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 16, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Yoki... Shockheaded Peter sounds delightfully bad! And I mean that in a good way!

I did find the review...

Posted by: TBG | July 16, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

It seems like the glorious parade I have fixed for, BC and Mudge, the Heroes of the Gran Fluffilado, got burried in budlebris. so here it is again.

A historic parade for BC & Mudge, heroes of the Fluffilado:

Posted by: Alexey Braguine | July 16, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Alexey, that's great.

I think you can sorta almost if-ya-squint see me in one of the crowd scenes. I might have seen TBG there too. Wearing a hat. (RD, were you wearing a blue suit with a blue/white/red sash?)

Too bad the video never gives you a good look at who is driving the car/who is riding shotgun (Mudge has got to be done with bc's driving for a few days).

My guess is that car is next in line to be turned into a racing machine. Heaven knows what possible use they can get out of the white horse...perhaps something to do with a timing belt?

Posted by: LostInThought | July 16, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Nobody clicks, brag. You'll get used to it.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else catch the latest Jib Jab video? I stepped inside for a "refresher" from the shop and MSNBC played it in its entirety. The music was based on Dylan's "Times They Are a-Changin'", but they twisted it around to be "Time for Some Campaignin'". Pokes were delivered to all sides equally and though I laughed my dupa off, I did manage (barely) to control my bladder. {*btw... anybody know how to reattach a dropped dupa?*}

Those guys are just hysterical with the things they come up with. And a warning to any vegetarians... no cows were spared.

Posted by: martooni | July 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure I saw Obambi in that Jib-Jab video.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | July 16, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

This is hilarious... look at the hits on a Google search for "Fluffitado."

I especially love the "Tijuana - Mexico - North America - Americas - World - news" and the "Tailrank - Top News for Today in Politics."

Posted by: TBG | July 16, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

TBG... haven't clicked your link yet, but the description had me thinking of that Johnny Cash song: "I've Been Everywhere, Man..."

The more I lose my hearing, the more I think in terms of music. And *yes* I wear ear protection in the shop. I'm not sure what's going on with my ears -- nothing in the family history, but then none of my family ever attended an Iggy Pop or Rolling Stones concert (or more than a few hundred concerts, for that matter).

I think I'd rather go blind than lose my hearing -- I'd rather hear Tom Waits wail "The Heart of Saturday Night" or Cheap Trick scream "Surrender" than be able to see them on a grainy YouTube video or whatever.

All I can say is "Thank God for volume knobs and buttons that go past 11," though Mrs. M is ready to smother me with a pillow for using them. But then she's losing her sight, so we're kind of even. The deaf leading the blind.

Posted by: martooni | July 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the workings of robo-spiders blog-scraping. No doubt that Fluffitado.com will be registered by a domain squatter in no time.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 16, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Loved the river pictures and pic of PA countryside. Home sweet home. I can smell the river.

There is still much natural beauty in the world. Let's keep it that way.

However, can only look at so many blogs while a full-time working person.

Posted by: eidrib | July 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Ouellette, if you are lurking out there in the ether, thanks so much for sending those blogs to Joel. I have been having having a lot of fun reading them.

Posted by: RD Padouk | July 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Why RD... you're blushing!

Posted by: TBG | July 16, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, wonderful view of the conjunction of the moon and Jupiter tonight. They really are close and really are bright.

Posted by: slyness | July 16, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Those guys over at Jib Jab are brilliant. I have been a fan since they did their Santa Claus bit oh so many years ago. This was about the same time I discovered this site.

Bunnies. Gotta love them bunnies.

Posted by: RD Padouk | July 16, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Ouellette, are you aware of your possible canuckstani connection? Ouellette is an old French name that has taken root in the French Americas a long time ago.
An old, valued friend is a Ouellette. The best, most educated (masters in economics) garbage man ever.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | July 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

If I hadn't read Ruth Marcus' Washington Post op-ed today titled "Scandal in Plain Sight" and used the link to the video at the London Times.online site, I would have missed the article (the headline in a box next to the video) about how scientists have found a genetic link to AIDS susceptibility for people of African descent, a gene that previously, historically protected against malaria.

In one of the latter grafs of the British reporting, I was struck that a comment was made by Matthew J. (James) Dolan of San Antonio from the Military Medical Center. Actually, this medical research group is based at Fort Sam Houston, as I found out by Googling and finding this article:

What group was used to study this genetic variant?: a large cohort of people in the U.S. Air Force, including more than 1,200 who are HIV positive, who have been followed for nearly 22 years.

Note the researchers involved who are here in Alamo City (as well as a number of scientists in Britain):

Weijing He, Veterans Administration Research Center for AIDS and HIV-1 Infection, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX

Hemant Kulkarni, Veterans Administration Research Center for AIDS and HIV-1 Infection, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX ,

Brian K. Agan, Infectious Disease Clinical Research Program, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD, Wilford Hall United States Air Force Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX , San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX

Vincent C. Marconi, Infectious Disease Clinical Research Program, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD, Wilford Hall United States Air Force Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX , San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX

Matthew J. Dolan, Infectious Disease Clinical Research Program, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD, Wilford Hall United States Air Force Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX, San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX

Sunil K. Ahuja, Veterans Administration Research Center for AIDS and HIV-1 Infection, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX , University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX

Someone ought to send a copy of this medical news on to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, don'tcha think?

Posted by: Loomis | July 16, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RD... best version of It's a Wonderful Life I've ever seen. And bonus scenes, too!

Posted by: TBG | July 16, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

NYT's (British) Nick Wade has the story for tomorrow's paper, "Gene Variation May Raise Risk of H.I.V., Study Finds."

Posted by: Loomis | July 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Just. Got. Home. From. 9 a.m. Dr. Appt. At. Hospital.

Am exhausted. Spent entire day in ER, W A I T I N G.

'Night.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 16, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

The DARC variant, if I remember my human genetics class aright, is only found in some Africans-- specifically West Africa, where most African-Americans trace their ancestry to. This, like many discoveries, will only open up even more questions about why/how this is happening.

But at least it does offer a partial reason for disproportionate infection rates... yet it is not a full reason, and it does not explain why native american women nor Latinos still have a much higher infection rate.

Posted by: Wilbrod | July 16, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Just. Got. Home. From. 9 a.m. Dr. Appt. At. Hospital.

Am exhausted. Spent entire day in ER, W A I T I N G.

'Night.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 16, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Holy guano, Mudge... I hope they gave you lunch (and dinner and a mint on the pillow, too).

Was just watching the "Colbert Report" and I get the humor and love the show, but I'm close to angry. When the band "Rush" appears on US TV for the first time in after 30-some years, you do *not* interrupt the finale of their song "Tom Sawyer" for the sake of a joke, even if they're in on it. They were playing their arses off and doing a fine job of it... As far as I'm concerned, when a band is making magic, everyone should shut up and wait to clap when they're done.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: martooni | July 17, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

ayayay, mudge. sounds highly unpleasant.

joel, i like your new office, and i look forward to seeing what you put together for a blogroll. however, i do picture you having a hard time narrowing it down and making, you know, a commitment.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | July 17, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Very nice scenery. I don't think I can get any work done in a place like this 'cause all I want to do is breath the fresh air and absorb the view.

I doubt I'll have time to check the blogroll that Joel will be putting together. I only read this blog and another one and only click to links that are posted here.

Posted by: rainforest | July 17, 2008 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom & CP, I'd be more than happy to spring you from the barmy bin...

Oh wait, we remember what Carlin said about "more than happy..."

:-O

*faxin' 'Mudge a couple of belated ciprihanas [sic] and an extra lime to ward off the scurvy*

Gotta gimme a reminder to watch the "Colbert Report" rerun this evening... :-)

*still-having-a-crazy-week-but-more-than-likely-properly-caffeinated Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 17, 2008 4:47 AM | Report abuse

Witching Hour Insomnia Patrol to Dawn: Patrol complete!

Requesting permission to Dock and Bunk!

Over...

Posted by: omni | July 17, 2008 5:14 AM | Report abuse

np, yello. Taste varies.

I find GW so obnoxious that I can't read his column or blog.

Posted by: dbG | July 17, 2008 5:35 AM | Report abuse

Well, actually, I guess I *could* read his column or blog, but not without wanting to yell and push him.

Posted by: dbG | July 17, 2008 5:36 AM | Report abuse

Good job, Night Watch. With the squadron commander on injured reserve, we're going to have to pull some double sorties.

bc,
We need some sort of in flight refueling system. Have you got those cows over their airsickness yet? The test run didn't go so well. I'm still scraping cud off my propeller.

mudge,
I don't know what to say. The silver lining would be that they didn't think you were serious enough to see right away. I hope you get someone to fix it. We missed you bad yesterday.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 17, 2008 6:00 AM | Report abuse

zzzs

Posted by: omni | July 17, 2008 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. I'm going to enjoy reading some of those blogs. The science ones sound good. I might be skating through dangerous ground on some.

This morning when I prayed, Mudge's name popped in my mind, so I prayed for him. Is something wrong with Mudge? Tell me, don't keep me in the dark, I'll worry. Mudge, where are you?

Slyness, Martooni, Scotty, good morning Dawn Patrol, and all.*waving*

I haven't had time to read all the comments here, but will try to do it later this evening. Yesterday the radio station's transmitter was totally knocked out so they have not been on the air for several days. Waiting for the repairman. And only had one person show up for the Bible study, but one is just as good as ten. Still a busy day.

I'm going to jump in the tub or probably slowly lower myself in the tub. Have a great day, folks.

JA, the picture is nice. It's so relaxing. I just want you to know, that lime green Achenblog shirt still pops. I'm wearing it again this summer at the Center. Someone has removed the yellow one I had, probably my daughter.

Hot, hot, here, and promising to be even hotter today. Take care everyone in the heat, and check on your elderly neighbors.

Posted by: cassandra s | July 17, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Cassandra.

Posted by: dr | July 17, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Boodle!

Ready for Dawn Patrol.

AMAZING!!!!
Yesterday afternoon, my Book, Kingmaker, soared into Amazon's best seller listings and stayed there as I went to bed. Alas, this morning it is flying at lower altitude.

Brag

Posted by: Alexey Braguine | July 17, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Mudge,

I hope you are feeling better after the ER wait.

Brag

Posted by: Alexey Braguine | July 17, 2008 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Mudge, wow. I would be p!ssed as he11, if I had had to sit in ER for that kind of time. Did they forget about you? (That happened to Mr. T one New Year's Eve, when he had a terrible case of strep throat. They had to apologize bigtime.)

Mr. T and I walked last night, so I think I may take things easy this morning. I hope Mudge does the same.

Posted by: slyness | July 17, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

slyness,

'walked'? Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?

Posted by: yellojkt | July 17, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse