Best Sports Names

Obviously, Usain Bolt belongs on the All-Name Team. His name is a twofer: Not only is it fun to say, it's athletically appropriate.

In fact it's so perfect that there should be a rule that headline writers can't use it for "Bolt From the Blue" sorts of headlines. Too easy.

My favorite sports name is still, after all these years, Roman Gabriel.

This year I'm big on Lastings Milledge -- which sounds like some kind of industrial byproduct piled up behind a factory.

Some other faves:

Cassius Clay

Joe Kapp

Enos Slaughter

Anyone named "Lance" (Alworth, Armstrong, etc.)

Dick Butkus

Here's a blogger arguing for God Shammgod, but that's just weird, to my ear.

A Times blogger says the best name at the Olympicsbelongs to Prapawadee Jaroenrattanatarakoon, but I'm sorry, that's just the longest name.

Not sure if I linked to this earlier, but here's a blog entry from a certain Judith Faucette, a freelance writer in Iowa (I spoke to her and she gave me some tips for my subjective sports story), defending the gymnastics judging in Beijing.

Good item from Tumulty on what Obama wants in a Veep.

McCain camp sez: Relax, everyone, McCain really has just four houses that he lives in. Just the four. (In my day, "damage control" was much better than this.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 21, 2008; 3:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Those Subjective Sports
Next: Arugula Madness

Comments

First?

Posted by: Moose | August 21, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Franz Klammer

Posted by: Franz Klammer | August 21, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful Monz (sp) II

Posted by: dmd | August 21, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Don,
If you think we are going to get italics and bold in exchange for commenter registration, you are deluding yourself. We are going to get what have been getting: bupkis.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

As for names, I got nutt'n. Talk about no originality; named one of my daughters after my wife, f'r cryin' out loud. That drove folks like insurance companies nuts. The only time it was fun was when adolesent boys would call the house, nervously asking for my daughter; I'd give the phone to my wife.

Same lack of originality on my wife's father's side. His name was Murdo, and had a brother named Murdo. Where have you heard that before?

Posted by: Don from I-270 | August 21, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Don, at least Murdo is an unusual name, not like "George" which is what George Foreman named all his sons (?)

Obama cannot pick a running mate who supports the Iraq war. I don't think he can win if he does that. The only possibility that gets me kind of excited is that he might pick Hillary. That would demonstrate his ability to work with somebody he's had disagreements with in the past--not so much on policy, but personal disagreements; they don't seem to like each other much. And it demonstrate party unity in a "be the change you want to see in the world" kind of way. Not just demonstrate it but actively CREATE it. Obama plus Hillary plus Bill--that's some powerful campaign mojo, if they could all pull in the same direction we could end up with a landslide in November.

...I guess I'm letting my wishful thinking carry me away a little here...

Posted by: kbertocci | August 21, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Picabo Street

---------------------------------------------

ScienceKid#1's middle name is a type of spectrometer.
ScienceKid#2's middle name is an optical phenomenon. ScienceKid#2's first name is from a tormented soul in a British folk song performed by Steeleye Span.
And, of course, the ScienceFamilyName is pretty rare. Just us, and Mr. KrispyKreme. And, uh, a bunch of others. And an operatic soprano. But still, not all that many.

Yeah, we got the unusual name thing covered.

Posted by: ScienceTim | August 21, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Minnesota Fats.

Does that count as a sports name?

Posted by: yellojkt | August 21, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

SCC Wonderful Monds II

Posted by: dmd | August 21, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I learned, from a sports trivia contest I heard on the radio yesterday, that Picabo Street didn't have a first name until she was two years old. Her parents figured they'd let her pick her own name when she was old enough. They named her in a pinch to get a passport for her and picked the name from a town in Idaho.

Posted by: Aloha | August 21, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone yet mention the female gymnast named He? Sentences are written like like "He won the medal in the women's event."

Remember when the Redskins had these names on the roster all at one time...

Manley, Butts, Peters and Cox.

Posted by: TBG | August 21, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Manley, Butts, Peters, and Cox is clearly a law firm specializing in sodomy cases.

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I like Steeleye Span a lot, ScienceTim. Maddy Prior's voice is just heavenly.

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Mattie, surely?

Posted by: Yoki | August 21, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

If Maddy Prior were to sing at the London Olympics Opening Ceremony, I expect they would get someone else to lipsync the singing. She has quintessentially British dentistry, I'm afraid.

Posted by: ScienceTim | August 21, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Nope, Maddy. Two d's.

Posted by: ScienceTim | August 21, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, I've done it -- I've hit the wall. No more Olympics for me. First, I'm entirely too tired of hitting the mute button all the time during commercials, which, as we all know, make up 99.999999% of the coverage. And, second, I've never been a fan of the IOC or any of its national subparts. Just a buncha predominantly fascist crooks. Sally Jenkins wrote a really good piece today (in the online version of WaPo) on Rogge. What a jerk!

If Usain Bolt (whom I would love to call Insane -- 'cause he runs like he is -- fabulous to watch) had been a white girl in a bikini there wouldn'ta been no probs, right?

Clearly, Rogge had nothing to say about a couple of 80-year old women who were arrested for following the correct procedure to register to protest during the games. What a piece of *expletive*.

So, I'm done. I'll even watch an old Grey's Anatomy tonight. I think that shows how serious I am, eh?

So there.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 21, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

ftb, you are entirely unfair to the Chinese government. Those wickedly counter-revolutionary, peace-disturbing crones could not have been a day over 79. And, now they have a place to live for the next year! Why the complaints?

Posted by: ScienceTim | August 21, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Probably true, *Tim. She'll play the Marni Nixon role in the 2012 London extravaganza.

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Refrigerator Perry. And I will never mention the hotdog-eating contest again.

Posted by: Jumper | August 21, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Yuniesky Betancourt. Infielder, Seattle Mariners. I just adore that name. And Coco Crisp as well.

Posted by: phan | August 21, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Ya got me there, ScienceTim.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 21, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Milton Bradley (outfielder for the Texas Rangers)
Dick Trickle (stock car driver from Wisconsin)

Posted by: Raysmom | August 21, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

McCain only has four houses?

My heart bleeds for him?

Posted by: CowTown | August 21, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Ahem, Johnny Unitas? Did someone mention his name? Why not, huh?

Posted by: CowTown | August 21, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Vida Blue.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 21, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

How come most of these excellent sports names are for guys (except for my own example of Picabo Street)? I realize there are more professional male athletes than female. However, the only clever and peculiar names that I can think of are male (except for Picabo). Is it the lack of attention paid to female athletics? Or is it just that people don't saddle their daughters with such a profusion of ridiculous made-up names?

Of course, this doesn't explain Dick Butkus, whose last name presumably has some tradition behind it.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 21, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Skram Ansular was a forthright bullrider winning many a medal. Unfortunately, an unfortunate bull tripped, pivoted and flipped right onto Skram. Now folks in Montana know Skram as Skram Slam Flam.

Posted by: Skram Ansular | August 21, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Baskerville Holmes, Georgetown (?) basketball player back in the day

Posted by: Grace | August 21, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

He he, Tyson Homosexual :-)

Poor baby didn't win any Olympic metal :-(

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 21, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

F. Nietsche used to play for the Philly Zarathustrians.

Posted by: Piedmont | August 21, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Who started out playing for the Delphi Oracles?

Posted by: Jumper | August 21, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

And thanks for that link, DNA, my friends & I are LOLing.

Posted by: Jumper | August 21, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

CoCo Crisp

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 21, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, Jumper.
You might enjoy this one too:

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 21, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I was going to say Johnny Unitas as well.

My wife likes saying "Jean Sebastien Giguere".

"Knute Rockne" is a good sports name.

Bjorn Borg was just a generation too soon for his name.

"Old Tom Morris". I wonder if he was called that to his face.

Posted by: SonofCarl | August 21, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Back when Jim Zorn was a Quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks they had a kicker with a memorable name: Efren Herrera

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 21, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

More baseball first names: Nolan, Orel.

I admit, kbertocci, the one person I don't want Obama to pick for veep is Hillary. Add up all the people who won't vote for Obama because he's black (or young or too smart or whatever), plus all the people who won't vote for Hillary because she's Hillary, and McCain wins right there.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 21, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Ivansdad says there's only one good sports name: Roger Staubach.

Then he added Bart Starr. Mike Ditka. Ty Cobb. Dizzy Dean. Red Grange.

He likes "Armstrong" but isn't so sure about "Lance".

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 21, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Babe Hendrickson

Sonja Henie

Posted by: slyness | August 21, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Babe Didrikson

Posted by: slyness | August 21, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, Ivansdad and I agree. However, as he says: Babe Didrikson Zaharias.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 21, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

-->"And my editor Marisa Katz nominates former University of Maryland basketball star Exree Hipp."

And Nebraska had a running back called I.M. Hipp.

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a World Be Free that played for the Cavs?

Posted by: KPage | August 21, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Yogi Berra

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 21, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, KPage. His original name was Lloyd Free. He changed it to World B. Free.

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely, Ivansdad is correct.

Posted by: slyness | August 21, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I recall Free playing for the 76ers. I haven't looked up his stats to see if he also played for the Cavs.

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked the name Antonio Vivaldi.

I'm pretty sure he was a shortstop for the Yankees.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 21, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Race car driver Dick Trickle

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 21, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Briana Scurry
Ruffian
Mia Hamm

Posted by: Loomis | August 21, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

BTW - everyone loved my tie. But tomorrow it's Hawaiian shirts all the way. As nature intended.

One more name I love is Nastia Liukin.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 21, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Dusty Rhodes, baseball player. Apparently there is a professional wrestler with that name also, but when I was young I remember thinking it was a great name for a baseball player ‘cause they’re always dusty.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | August 21, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Hope Solo's a pretty darn good sports name, particularly today.

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 21, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't think of any odd names that have to do with sports. I'm not really into sports anyway. Just wanted to drop in and see what's kicking. A new kit.

I thought it was not so good that John McCain did not know how many houses he owned. But then I thought, that what happens to people when they get old. They can't remember. Four really isn't a big number, but then, perhaps it is something that is not important to him. Maybe it isn't a big deal. Yet for folks trying to keep one house, and living on the edge in trying to do that, it certainly is a big deal. I'm thinking if he can't remember his four houses, how's he going to remember me, "homeless".

I had an disagreement with my daughter, and I feel bad. Time to turn in. It has been a long day. Hope all have a good evening. Night, boodle. Sweet dreams.

Posted by: cassandra s | August 21, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Back in the day I had a crush on Roman Gabriel, as did most of the girls I knew. At least half of the appeal was the name.

Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues.

Posted by: frostbitten | August 21, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Bucky Dent - now that was a good lookin' guy.

Posted by: Aloha | August 21, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Buster Crabbe, Paavo Nurmi, Babe Didrikson. Am I dating myself?

Posted by: Shiloh | August 21, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Well if we are talking crushes, I currently have a crush on Canada's flag bearer Adam Vankoeverden.

I keep telling my husband that Adam is so good looking he would have a man crush.

I am tempted to get up at three this morning to watch his race.

IMHO the male equivalent of the beauty from Paraquay.

My big crushes from the NFL, Lynn Swann, Nat Moore, also had a crush on the Kiwi 8800 metre runner from the 76 Olympics who I heard is currently not feeling well - and of course I forget his name.

Posted by: dmd | August 21, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

John Walker I think was the name of the runner (could have the wrong distance).

Posted by: dmd | August 21, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, you got it. It's not that he has so many homes, it's that he couldn't remember offhand. It feels insulting to those who really worry about housing day to day. And if it's age... sigh. What else may he forget? Will he be dependent on his staff to keep him in touch with reality? That implies the country will be once again run by people we didn't directly elect, and that bothers me.

As for great Olympic names, one that really caught my eye (other than Hope Solo) was Keith Beavers, the Canadian Olympic swimmer.
To double it, the announcer mentioned he had a sister who also swam at the nationals.

(Her name is Lindsay. cf. linn, scottish "pool" or waterfall.).

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 21, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

hope and han solo
singular dashing heroes
brave gold medal saves

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I just wracked my tiny mental sports file for unusual or good sports names and what I came up with in 30 seconds of thinking was just

Manute Bol
and
Meadowlark Lemon

Now, that's random. I'm going to stop trying now.

Well, maybe I'll just state that I think "Mohammed Ali" is just as good a name as "Cassius Clay."

Posted by: kbertocci | August 21, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Seven residences. John McCain owns seven residences. I hope he has the staff to keep them properly maintained.

HA!

Posted by: slyness | August 21, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

On ABC News they said that he has 9 houses! Maybe tomorrow they'll be more.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | August 21, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not sure. Part of our portfolio is in real estate. Cindy and our investment managers take care of a lot of that."

Now was that so hard? Is "duh, whu" an appropriate answer? Talk about your 3a.m. phone call.

Just how many head injuries did that man incur?

Posted by: Jumper | August 21, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

And the day after that, he and his wife will be revealed as slum lords in NYC, Chicago, and L.A.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 21, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Chicago Cub Fukudome

Posted by: maria | August 21, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

As usual Cassandra, your observations are right on the mark. The media are having a great time with McCain and his houses. Who is the real elitist now?

I feel your discomfort over a dispute with your daughter. Apparently #1 is mad at me. She took something I said the wrong way. After all these years you’d think she’d know me well enough to picture my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek. Ah well...this too shall pass.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | August 21, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who doesn't think McCain has been an elitist his entire life has no idea what it is like to be a navy brat and son of a son of an admiral.

Speaking of navy pilots, and cool names. My stick buddy in the maintenance test pilot course was a squid named Riff Patton.

Posted by: frostbitten | August 21, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

SCC-should have been "son and grandson of admirals."

Posted by: frostbitten | August 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

It sounded right the first time, Frostbitten.

For some reason, I'm visualizing drill sergeants following the no-cuss rule and calling their charges "you son-of-admirals."

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 21, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

SCC: There'll be NOT they'll be.

I could blame the lateness of the hour, but I do this all the time -- I never preview!!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | August 21, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Toodle-ray, toodle-o-ray, I'm a son of an admiral, toodle-o-ray...

Posted by: Wilbrodog | August 21, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

My favorite golfer beside tiger woods....Fred Funk

Didn't Muggsy and Manute play on the same team ...the bullets

I found out there is a hostage situation on going in Hancock and the only bridge across the Potomac near me is closed. Adds another 30 miles to my ride home.I hope everyone is alright.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 21, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Wtching BMX racing in the Olympics, I am way too old to understand that sport, but did not an Australian rider who has changed his name to - Kamakazi.

Posted by: dmd | August 21, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

They want 5 current references and fast. So close.....*******!!!!!*******

Regarding the Olympics, of course I have been watching. Did you all know that Colorado Springs is the USA Olympics headquarters? Yes, and they will be moving their headquarters to the main street in downtown CS. (Tejon St.). A real boost for the city. Many Olypmians train here and use the mountains, which are literally a stone's throw, as their endurance grounds.

And starting Monday...the DNC. I can hardly stand all the excitement.

Posted by: eidrib | August 21, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

SCC...Olympians Duh.

Posted by: eidrib | August 21, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

eidrib... you can use me as a reference!

Posted by: TBG | August 21, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Measly vaccine fears undo decades of progress?

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 21, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm cracking up because I gather (though I don't care about, don't watch, don't understand and just plain can't be bothered with any spectator sport except NHL hockey [nor any aesthetically pleasing non-sport that I actually engage in personally like swimming and equestrian and downhill ski racing] that you all are talking about the Olympics tonight.

This is a *hoot.*

Posted by: Yoki | August 21, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Gaetan Duchesne

Chicken Stanley

Rollie Fingers

Bingo Smith

Posted by: jack | August 21, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Guy LaFleur

Bruno Sanmartino

Fester Testerbester

Posted by: jack | August 22, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

eidrib, that's great! Good luck!

Beezie Madden won bronze in show jumping today. I haven't seen it, but I read she jumped over some shrubbery to cut down on the time - one of the other USA riders did that before her, so she tried it and that was the difference. Glad Eric Lamaze won gold, or as SD put it, Hickstead did.

Ominous news about registration. Not sure why, just that familiar Boodle handles may change and I'll be more confused than ever, I guess.

slyness, CP, and I wear the same size shoes! My feet are tending more toward a 6 and as wide as possible, please, except my heels are still narrow.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 22, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of great sports names, 2007 Formula 1 race car driver (the most recent American driving in that worldwide series), currently driving (and winning) in NASCAR and ASA stock car series:

Scott Speed.

Yes, he can drive fast.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 22, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

1988 Olympics‏ but it’s funny.

Posted by: rainforest | August 22, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I don't know who I want Obama to pick. I'm hoping it's a complete surprise, someone no one expects, and spectacular. Like Caroline Kennedy, but even better. I can't even think who would fit the bill. It will probably be Biden and I'll be disappointed. I really don't care as long as they win.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 22, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Nikki Lauda

Posted by: jack | August 22, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Couple of other good names, IIRC.

Garo Yepremian (sp)?

Dave Butz

James Thrash

More later. Or tomorrow.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 22, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Emerson Fittipaldi(sp?)

DLD

Posted by: DLD | August 22, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Mostly, I'd be disappointed too. Richardson has been aired, and I know my dad has wanted an Obama-Richardson ticket ever since Richardson dropped out.

But then, there's the fact that he didn't exactly catch fire in the primaries. What makes him better in the general than the primaries?

I am indeed hoping for a surprise. I think he wants somebody who's somewhat of an outsider (Richardson might not qualify then), but yet can deliver strong balance to the ticket.

So throw a dart at this list of governors...

As for me, I'll say Gov. Freudenthal of Wyoming. He's been my favorite dark horse VP for a few months now.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 22, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

being pretty much a sports ignoramus, i can't contribute to the list and don't know very many names on it.

i have a funny doctor's name story though. i used to see a doctor named dr. axe. when i needed to see a head and neck specialist for sinus problems (and eventually surgery), dr. axe referred me to a certain practice. when i phoned there to make an appointment, i was given an appointment with dr. head (who also ended up being my surgeon). true story. i really thought the receptionist was kidding when she told me the name of the doctor. i even asked her to spell it for me over the phone.

looking forward to the vp choices being made just to end the speculation. looking forward even more to the general elections being over.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 22, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Ooh, the governor of Montana would be good, too. Not that I know much about him, just that's he's from Montana. I want it to be over, too. L.A., those are funny names.

Summer Sanders.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 22, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Spider Salley and Mark Price.

Spider is a great nickname and 'Mark Price' is about the whitest name ever.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 22, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

A friend made a comment about the Chinese athletes. He said after their training, there’s another training. It’s true. For other athletes, after their training, there’s school, family and friends. For the Chinese athletes, after training, there’s another training and then yet another one. No family and very little schooling. That’s why not winning a medal is a failure and that failure is magnified many times.

Posted by: rainforest | August 22, 2008 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Rainforest's text looks pretty. All those repeating t and f words (not those) and evenly spaced vowels, I guess.

G'morning everyone

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 22, 2008 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all! It's Friday and the coffee pot still works, so all is fine in my household.

Frostbitten, that is so sad, their teammates become their family, I suppose.

Jack, is Fester Testerbester (giggle) really a person, or made up?

Speaking of Tiger Woods (great name) I saw him on Johnny Carson's show one night with his father. Tiger was about three years old and demonstrated his putting ability and his swing IIRC; he was a cute little boy, and his Papa was proud. Carson was impressed.

Let's not forget the Golden Boy, Jack Nicholas, now the Olden Boy. Too bad golf is not an olympic sport, it is so elegant and easy scoring for the most part, although a judge would be needed for the "ball behind the tree drop" or the "ball in the tree drop" kind of calls. I used to play with a lady golfer who believed in "fringe benefits". If she was in the rough close to the fringe, she wanted to move her ball into the fairway, lol. Dunno what happened to her.....

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 22, 2008 6:08 AM | Report abuse

I like the name Lang Ping (famous Chinese volleyball player and now US team coach); feels very volleyballish.

"It’s not bad to suddenly have a billion people on your side."
--US player Nicole Davis re Chinese fans of Lang Ping

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 22, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

I MEANT Rainforest, now how could I confuse the two names???? I'm getting older by the day. :-)

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 22, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

DNA Girl, Lang Ping could also be a good name for the sport of Ping Pong, very descriptive.

I'm done for the day, which I hope is a great one for the boodlers.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 22, 2008 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Wilbrod and Sneakers, Eugene Robinson has a good op-ed piece on John McCain, and the number of houses has changed to seven. John McCain can't feel the pain of homeowners trying desperately to save their homes or people like myself that don't have a home. He's too many degrees from me and them. Sometimes when life gets better for folks, they don't want to go back to those times when it wasn't so hot. The comforts of the world edge out that compassion and that memory.I don't know if that is the case with McCain.

Scotty, Mudge, Martooni, Slyness, it is Friday, and we're all thankful. Morning, everyone.*waving*

School starts here Monday. The John Locke Foundation did a study of schools here in North Carolina, and my county failed at school performance. We did okay in some fields but not that one. That means that students are not getting what they need. The county has realigned the schools, but that does not take the place of performance, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how it's going to help in that end.

Have a great day, folks. The weather here is good. There's a nice breeze, so it isn't so hot. Not much of a chance for rain, but I guess one can't have it all.

Time to swim. Didn't make the date with the laundry room yesterday, so I have that on the dance card today.

Posted by: cassandra s | August 22, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

That's definitely not me in the a.m., DNA Girl. Except for Christmas morning. I'm still a little kid when it comes to that one.

{* waiting for second cup of coffee to kick in *}

We had some good economic news for our area yesterday. GM is ponying up $351M to retool and expand the Lordstown assembly plant to build the new "Cruze" model they unveiled yesterday. I'm sure a big chunk of that money will be going to out-of-state suppliers and contractors, but still. That kind of investment is unheard of -- and *very* welcome -- in these parts. Considering this comes on the heels of them recently reactivating the third shift and hiring 1,400 new employees, cautious optimism is on the rise in our neck of the Rust Belt.

Anyway... got a muggy scorcher ahead of me today. It's already 70 and sticky and supposed to get up around 90 and even stickier. Joy oh friggin' joy. Sawdust and high humidity make for one very grumpy and uncomfortable Gnome.

But I still don't miss my old air-conditioned desk job.

Time to get to it... Have a Happy Friday everybody!

Peace out... :-)

Posted by: martooni | August 22, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh... btw... the launch of my new website went off without a hitch yesterday. I guess my programming chops are still in decent shape.

If you're bored, check out http://www.weefolkoutfitters.com and let me know what yinz think.

Posted by: martooni | August 22, 2008 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Had to return to SCC: Golden Bear & Olden Bear.

Congratulations on a beautiful website, martooni. I enjoyed looking around inside of it and you are a very nice looking man.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 22, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Vintage Lady.

{* blushing *}

Posted by: martooni | August 22, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

TGIF Everybody!

Cassandra, I'm not sure I'd pay much attention to something put out by the John Locke Foundation. They're right up there with the John Birch Society in conservatism. Not that the schools in your county couldn't use many improvements, I'm sure, but anything they publish should be taken with large amounts of salt.

DNA Girl, enjoyed that Sinfest. I'm going to send it to the Geekdottir, who is so definitely NOT a morning person.

Good to hear that investment in coming to your part of the world, Martooni. I'm also glad to know that you are doing okay with the personal business. Do you ever get tired of working with wood? I didn't think so.

My favorite twin boys are coming to supper, not that they'll eat anything I fix. Today is their four-month check-up and their pediatrician is three quarters of the way from their house to mine. This morning I'm scheduled to volunteer at the fire museum, so I need to get started on a busy day.

Posted by: slyness | August 22, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

TGIF already? Well, I won't complain.

Another sports name -- Oil Can Boyd.

And He's going to have an age check, it seems...

This is interesting, too:

And the comments on this article are unsurprising, but rather alarming when you realize some of them can vote...

*looking-forward-to-another-gorgeous-weekend Grover waves*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I submit the name of one those single name Brasilian; Kaka the soccer star.

Got all the in-laws for dinner last night. Lovely night to be outside, warma and dry, for once.
The 4 native Vancouverites were very disturbed by the 4-5 mosquitoes that buzzed around for a while, I'll have to remember not to invite them in June...

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 22, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Morning all.

Time magazine says Romney is McCain's VP choice. I hope so. Don't you think some clever folks could really make hay with how many houses that Republican pair have between them? As far as Obama's pick, I prefer Jim Webb but I guess that isn't going to happen. I know Biden can be a bit too gabby sometimes, but I kind of like him. He comes out with some pretty good zingers at times and if there was ever a time for Democrats zinging, this is it.

This boodle was a trip down memory lane! Garo Yepremian! Roman Gabriel! Vida Blue!

I hope everyone has a nice Friday. It is absolutely spectacular here in Tidewater and I'm off today! Sister and her husband are coming for the weekend, so I need to start some mad housecleaning right about now.

Posted by: Kim | August 22, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

*faxin' Kim a set of networked Roombas for the vacuuming* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

More stock car names:

The Marlin family--Sterling, his father CooCoo, son Steadman and daughter Sutherlin.

Lake Speed
Humpy Wheeler
Rich Bickle, Greg Biffle, Dick Trickle (say fast three times for best effect)

Posted by: Raysmom | August 22, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Scotty... how about a couple of networked jigsaws, routers and sanders? ;-)

Posted by: martooni | August 22, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

g'morning all. It seems the McCain camp's damage control is going to revolve around the modest size of the homes McCain actually uses and the "investment" character of the other houses, while they hammer Obama for the grandiosity of his single home. Feh. As owner, and cleaner/manager/maintenance crew of some rental property (by choice) and more rental property (not by choice, couldn't sell the Tampa house)I say he's still out of touch. Our Tampa house is rented by an Air Force officer who couldn't sell his house in Oklahoma. Who knows, that one's probably rented by someone in the military who couldn't sell a house either. But never fear, if McCain had his way they'd all stay in the military forever because he'd make sure veteran's benefits were miserly enough to make going back to Iraq seem like a good idea.

Obviously I need some coffee. For the love of Pete, are we ever going to get hyperlinks back? What did we do to deserve this purgatory of cut and paste? Has this all been explained to the boodle's satisfaction and I just missed it?

Posted by: frostbitten | August 22, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

frosti... the McCains' main residence is anything but "modest" -- I don't care how his handlers try to spin it. Heck, it made the cover of Architectural Digest a couple of years ago. If they think they can go after Obama for spending his earned money (not married-into money) on a grand home for his family, more power to them.

Robinson's piece this morning pretty much nailed this one on the head.

So did Krugman's in the NYT:

Chris Matthews had a field day with it last night, too.

My take is that if the guy can't remember what he and his wife own -- especially something as significant as real estate holdings -- he's either going senile or he's so far up the wealth ladder that these kinds of details are beneath him and unworthy of his attention. Either way, not good traits for a guy who wants to be a world leader.

Posted by: martooni | August 22, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

*faxin' 'tooni a full CDC suite and putting out an APB for 'Mudge*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

*rummaging through the bunker refrigerator looking -- IN VAIN, I MIGHT NOTE -- for leftovers from yesterday's luncheon. Found a bunch of empty pinot grigio and prosecco bottle in the recycle bin. Found some empty tupperware containers in the dishwasher (which had been run). Found some paper plates and plastic ware in the trash. Found signs that someone had been in the refrigerator last night helping themselves to a midnight snack.*

*found a balled-up wrapper from an "After 8" creme de menthe candy on the kitchen counter*

*sigh*

*heading to the cafeteria for some breakfast*

'Morning, Boodle.

*sound of stomach growling as footsteps recede down the hall*

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Top of the morning, Boodlers.

Falling behind on my boodling.

Today, Krauthammer really lost it. Needs some exercise outside the Evil One's kennel.

Posted by: Brag | August 22, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Gee, that worked well. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

New Republic article on the origins of McCain's in-laws, etc.

Posted by: Jumper | August 22, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Your timing is impeccable, Scotty.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Great looking site, martooni. (Psst! You might wanna fix the price on your 9-door package before some literal-minded cheapskate takes you up on it.)

Posted by: Raysmom | August 22, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Morning all... don't know the details of Obama's "million-dollar home," but it's not hard these days to have a house that's appreciated way beyond what you paid for it.

My house isn't worth a million bucks, but it's nearly tripled in worth what I paid for it and that's even after coming down a bit after the bubble. I certainly couldn't afford to buy it now.

Martooni... excellent web site. Simple, elegant and easy to navigate. And great products, of course! But the editor in me needs to point out that on your Products page, you've got the wholesale package listed at $29.95. Oops. :-)

Posted by: TBG | August 22, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

martooni, the site looks really nice. my only suggestion is that you might slightly change the colors of the wee outfitters letters to make them a little bit more distinct from the color of the background image. i'm on an old clunky mac laptop with a screen that has become a little dim, so maybe the problem's on my end.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 22, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Martooni, wonderful website!

Happy Friday, everyone! Just counting the minutes 'til I'm on vacation!

Posted by: Moose | August 22, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. Cassandra and frostbitten got McCain right, last night and today. He "forgot" his houses because he's getting older, Cassandra I love it. And the idea that rich is $5 million and little houses don't count really is out of touch. As frostbitten said, there are strings of people nationwide connected by rentals of houses that won't sell. One thing, Cassandra - I don't think McCain is avoiding remembering when his circumstances weren't so good. Socially and economically speaking he's been a child of privilege all his life. I'm not suggesting that the prisoner-of-war episode wasn't a hardship, but that his life before and after that wasn't marked by hard times. He's always been out of touch.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 22, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

How can the McCains own so many homes? Because men love, love, love to drink beer.

Posted by: Loomis | August 22, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I just discovered that my agency has a 20-page policy describing how to make updates to policies.

*weeping softly*

Posted by: Raysmom | August 22, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Martooni, you've, like, registered your business with the State of Ohio, right? It would be a shame to build up the brand and leave it open.

Posted by: dbG | August 22, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Anyone interested in espionage thrillers can join the discussion in the Espionage and International Thriller Group in the Barnes&noble.com Book Club

Posted by: Brag | August 22, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Jumper -- I just read the article on Cindy McCain off that NR link you put in. I'm not surprised, but what a marriage of convenience. I still don't know what she gets out of that marriage -- unless it's a father figure (which brings to mind all those skanky thoughts of i n c e s t that I'll leave alone, thank you very much).

I do like the Obamas, and not only in comparison.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 22, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd lose the word "bugger" if I were gonna offer advice, Martooni. Just sayin'.

I wish you could work in cedar, cypress, or heart pine. Florida climate, where I'm pondering sending a Fairy Door, is unkind to pinewood. Then again, treated lumber would work. I wouldn't wish toxic sawdust on your workroom, however!

Posted by: Jumper | August 22, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mudge! We missed you at lunch yesterday, a lovely time was had by all. Sorry if we didn't clean the bunker to your satisfaction. Actually, we were in the backyard and the weather was perfect for a picnic. Yoki didn't drop any silver, did she? We actually managed NOT to drop any of her nice crystal.

Nobody showed up to be with me at the fire museum, and my key unlocked the deadbolt but not the doorknob so I couldn't get in. I therefore did the sensible thing and came home.

In keeping with the sports theme of the kit, I was shocked, SHOCKED by this story in the Times of London:

Not really, of course, but leave it to the Brits to bring up the subject.

Posted by: slyness | August 22, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Anyone bring up Chase Utley of the Phillies yet?

Don't have time to look up the spelling, but Sam Manilla of college bb fame always brought a smile even as you wondered what his parents were thinking.

Sorry there were no leftovers, Mudge! We didn't even need doggie bags because, well, there was a doggie there. She was very well behaved, and learned to sit and lie down with alacrity when offered leftover lunch as reward. I think she'll outgrow lap-size soon, but she made the most of it yesterday.

Posted by: dbG | August 22, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Dan Rather's summarizing report, on video, of election machine problems.

Posted by: Jumper | August 22, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Fun article Slyness, thanks!

Interesting to know that the male gaze is not fooled by gold :-)
(excepting apparently McCain, but then Cindy has the looks too and looks like she's got the subservience bit down)

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 22, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm rushing off to work, can't think of sports names, but I did want to tell you of an interesting adventure with some bison.

A little excitement on a dreary and gray day.

Posted by: dr | August 22, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

slyness.... GREAT article about the, er... activities in the Olympic Village. I liked this funny line (among a lot of excellent writing)...

"Once we were eliminated from our respective competitions, we lunged at each other like suicidal fencers."

Posted by: TBG | August 22, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Raysmom and TBG for the heads-up on that price typo -- the database would have caught it if someone added it to their order, but that was still a big oopsie.

dbG... yes, I registered it in Ohio earlier this year. Can't have no evil Saruman-type trying to Jones my name. If it takes off as I hope, I'll have to get it registered at the Fed level to keep evil Disney-types' grubby little paws off it.

Jumper... I've shipped quite a few to FL and haven't had any reports of disintegration, though they may have installed them indoors or in an enclosed patio or something. As for "bugger"... I'm familiar with the British use of the term and went with it on purpose. My UK customers get a good giggle out of it. ;-)

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. Gotta get back to it now... Enjoy your Friday!

Peace out... :-)

Oh... and Scotty... I think there's something wrong with that CNC machine you faxed me. All it does is output pictures of doors. ;-)

Posted by: martooni | August 22, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

TBG- That was a good one, but I liked "ticket to writhe" even better.

DNA girl made me realize Cindy is better prepared to be 1st lady than Michelle-she has that "stand by your man when he does something incredibly humiliating" look nailed. Bet she has the blue suit and pearls ready to go at all times.

St. Paul has relented on its $2500 fee for bars to stay open until 4:00AM and will refund $2000 in hopes of getting a more friendly party atmosphere going for the reps. The owner of "Camp" a downtown St. Paul nightclub was quoted in support of the move on MPR this morning. No mention of whether he thought being the closest gay bar to the convention venue was going to give his business a big boost.

Posted by: frostbitten | August 22, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

SCC-I'm talking about the RNC of course in my 10:50.

Posted by: frostbitten | August 22, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

If the "brittle blond cipher," Cindy McCain, wins the First Ladyship, you can bet she will never invite anyone from The New Republic to tea - or even for a beer.

Thanks for the link, Jumper.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 22, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Busy busy work season for me, but wanted to mention quickly for all Mega BPH attendees to hold the evening of October 4th open - looks like we have a location and a time (starting at 5 PM).

More details to follow, but thought I would let folks know that the whole shootin' match (as it were) is coming together.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 22, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

*Faxing Raysmom a 20 page policy regarding weeping on Federal property.*

Posted by: Don from I-270 | August 22, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and the Australian winner in the men's pole vault provides this headline:

"Hooker Wins Pole Vault Gold Medal for Australia"

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Mr. T, just back from Denver, noted that that city is preparing for an onslaught of ladies of the night.

He also told me that the gentleman who was next to him on the plane said he had spent the previous night in a Comfort Inn near the airport for $79/night, but the desk clerk said the price next week for that room would be $429/night.

Some things just never change.

Posted by: slyness | August 22, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

In keeping with my theme today of sex and the Olympics, the Straight Dope:

Posted by: slyness | August 22, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

All done with cleaning (thanks, Scotty!) and now procrastinating about making the marinara.

Caught up on all the not-linked articles...
Slyness that article was great! I had to mail that one around. Too funny.
martooni - loved the website, very clever.

Don- thanks for the best laugh all morning with your policy on weeping on federal property. Cracked me up.

Jumper - that NR piece on the McCains - wow.

Although not nearly as interesting as slyness' article, I thought this piece on Biden was interesting. I'm ready to put money on him. Boy, I will be glad when this nuttiness is over and the Dem's nominees can just start making the case. And I think there's a pretty strong case, but I am not complacent about the Democrats getting the WH at all.

Posted by: Kim | August 22, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

147 posts and no one comes up with World B Free. It's a travesty.

big ups to jack for pulling fester testerbester.

Posted by: john in bluemont | August 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Howdy All
Tough day for me with people just giving me grief,some of it warranted,some of it not. But i get on the boodle and it is almost instantly lifted. My spirits are back to a normal level again.

Slyness,that article was great and I enjoyed your website martooni.

It never ceases to amaze me,that no matter how bad i am feeling,my imaginary friends can quickly turn that around. Thanks all.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 22, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

That is great news, bc! Details, please, when appropriate.

Posted by: Yoki | August 22, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

john;

Scroll back to around 7 p.m. and you'll see World B in all his glory. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a World Be Free that played for the Cavs?

Posted by: KPage | August 21, 2008 7:12 PM

Yes, KPage. His original name was Lloyd Free. He changed it to World B. Free.

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 7:20 PM

Posted by: pj | August 21, 2008 7:23 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Not exactly sports, but there is a Dr Harry Beaver that practices Obstetrics & Gynecology in NOVA.

I wouldn't believed it, but Ms Lion read me the sign that advertised his practice.

I wouldn't have believed it unless Ms Lion

Posted by: DandyLion | August 22, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know how many editors have been cut at WaPo? Jeffrey Birnbaum has an article in the paper today called "Bad Begets Worse" which contains this gem:

Fannie Mae has withdrawn from the market for all-day loans, which are considered risky because they require less documentation than traditional prime loans.

Um, that would be "Alt-A."

Posted by: Wheezy | August 22, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Cindy McCain, npr had an article about the fact that she has two step sisters, although, when questioned, she said she was an only child, which is technically true. But, her father had a daughter by a previous marriage, and so did her mother. Should she have mentioned her two step sisters? You be the judge.

As far as John McCain and his seven houses, I think most of you are being too kind. I think he fudged on his answer because he does not want voters to know just how wealthy he really is. Silly man, now EVERYBODY knows.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 22, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Backstory deluxe. Wow.

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes,Scotty, a good backstory on Obama. An interesting parapraxis in the 4th slide names the Punahou School as "Punahoe."

Posted by: Shiloh | August 22, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

TOONI!!!! A GOTHIC VAMPIRE COFFIN DOOR!!!! http://www.weefolkoutfitters.com/product_view.php?sku=FD-VAM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW - i'm sooooo touched! i was away from the boodle for training for a while so i didn't know you had finalized the design!!! it's AWESOME! and i've already ordered one!

PANAMA WINS FIRST EVER GOLD MEDAL!!! WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(i have a lot to shout about today! first i had my goldenfinch fix this am on my way to the car and then tooni's goth fairy door and then panama winning a gold!)
and thanks alot slyness - now i'm determined to find some sport that i can do so i can become an olympian! and phelps is NOT dorky! i totally have a crush on him!!!!!!

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm very cranky today. I haven't counted all the links listed in this kit and kaboodle. Too many for my math skills. Think of all the extraneous key strokes it takes to highlight, copy, open a new tab, and paste, and open a link that's not hyperlinked. I'm not going to do it. It's too much for my old arthritic fingers!

Seriously, Joel, what's going on?

As for that prig, David Brooks: I'd be suspicious of his praising Sen. Biden the way he did this morning. He and his henchmen in the GOP must have ulterior motives.

Maybe it's to cast doubts on Biden a la Marc Antony's praise of Caesar.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | August 22, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Wonder why nobody mentioned World B Free yet.

*nodding off back to sleep on my first day back on the job*

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

*faxing Maggie a pat on the shoulder and a "there, there"*

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

*faxin' mo some decaf and Maggie an ergonomic trackball*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

To judge from today's Obama story, he was the rare, weird kid who had to be browbeaten into applying to college, then thrived. Just think of the jillions of kids who do Serious Sports or Other Important Things as part of their intensive grooming, only to find that someone else's applications were more interesting.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 22, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Now don't be goin' patronizing me, boys, I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | August 22, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

*faxin' Maggie an open window to yell out of*

*and ducking*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 22, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

can anyone tell i had iced vietnamese coffee with my pho for lunch????

wooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

*bouncing off the walls*

(good thing the bunker has padded walls! good thinking mudge!)

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I loves me them feisty wimmin.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Mo! I love iced Vietnamese coffee! and pho! and yes, that's a lotta caffiend.

Mudge, it is delightful to have you back. What evil circumstance made your first day back from vacation a Friday?

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 22, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually, IM, I was supposed to come back yesterday, but added an extra day.

These grueling one-day workweeks sure take a lot outa ya.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, slyness, I wasn't complaining about the bunker not being cleaned up; I was disappointed over not finding any leftovers.

And I was thinking of you yesterday. In a shop in scenic New Hope, Pa, I saw a chess set you'd like: on one side were policement from 9/11, and opposite them were firemen from 9/11. Both sides had dogs as pawns, German shepherds for the police and Dalmations for the firemen. It was a nice set.

Hmmmm. Can't leave this one alone:

Mo: fienned or pho?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"All-day" loans - well, they used to say there was a sucker born every minute, didn't they? [Resisting the urge to suggest that they found one to edit the business section. Seriously, not that the mistake is that editor's fault - if the editor is not familar with business and investment jargon, they might not be the right person to be in that job.]

Thanks for that chuckle, Wheezy.

If we're counting nicknames like World B Free - oh, let's not, it'll get too crazy.

(Why am I thinking of former Les Boulez player and buffet superstar John "Hot Plate" Williams?)

bc

Posted by: bc | August 22, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

is this it Mudge?: http://www.boardwalkgamesinc.com/products/chess/fire_police_chess_lrg.jpg

Posted by: omni | August 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant, Mudge. You can't top that. Might as well go home now. And thanks for saving your best work of the day for the Boodle.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Waiting for Godot, 21st century version?

Posted by: Shiloh | August 22, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Done at last! I have been released finally from the purgatory of briefings after an unscheduled supplemental one today.

The Hawaiian shirt and blue jeans went over surprisingly well.

I see we are starting to diverge wonderfully, as is appropriate for a Friday PM. The Boodle - a virtual pachinko machine.

mo- I too have known the solace of spicy Pho and rich Vietnamese coffee. In fact, Pho made with beef brisket and generously seasoned with Sriracha is one of my favorite meals. Sometimes I go a little overboard on the spice - which is where the Vietnamese coffee comes in handy.

When I was a contractor my boss used to often take us all out for Pho. He fancied himself quite the linguist because of time spent in country during the Vietnam War. He would insist on ordering for us in Vietnamese. But they usually got our orders correct anyway.

And Maggie O'D - I share you pain about the links. I find the best thing to do is open a second tab (I use Firefox) devoted purely to cut&paste links. But it is still annoying.

Anyway - have a great weekend everyone!

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 22, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

From the baseball Hall of Fame, these names or nicknames are memorable:

Luke Appling, Lucius Benjamin Appling (1930-50): "Old Aches & Pains", "Luscious Luke", "Fumblefoot"or "Kid Boots"

Wade Boggs, Wade Anthony Boggs (1982-99): "Chicken Man"

Rollie Fingers, Roland Glen Fingers (1968-85): “Rollie”

Goose Goslin, Leon Allen Goslin (1921-38): "Goose"

Harmon Killebrew, Harmon Clayton Killebrew (1954-75): “Killer”

Nap Lajoie, Napoleon Lajoie (1896-1916): “Larry” or “Poli” or “Nap”

Rabbit Maranville, Walter James Vincent Maranville (1912-35): “Rabbit”

Bill McGowan, William Aloysius McGowan (umpire): “Little Joe Chest”

Satchel Paige, Leroy Robert Paige (1948-53): “Satchel”

Eppa Rixey (1912-33): “Jeptha”

Earl Weaver, Earl Sidney Weaver (manager, 1968-86): “Doodles”

Zack Wheat, Zachary Davis Wheat (1909-27): “Buck” (1938-59):

Best name for real
Eppa Rixey

Best baseball profession name for real
Rollie Fingers

How'd that happen award
Bill McGowen is Little Joe? Chest I get for a ref

Say what award? Earl Weaver is Doodles?

I am on kit. Huzzah! Baseball generates great names but maybe this is because there are so many baseball players. I think the nick-naming tradition in b-ball is very robust, too.

Posted by: College Parkian | August 22, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

That's it, omni. Good find.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Remember (among the women here) when we were young (were we young once? twice?), and we dreamed (or were told to dream) about marrying a prince (or at least some wealthy man (apparently, any wealthy man would do)) so that we could become princesses and preside over our castles and palaces (maybe to take our lovers when hubby was using a various castle/palace or two for his)? What this comes down to is the reality that McCain actually did earn his money the old fashioned way -- he married it. . . .and, now *he's* the princess we all wanted (or our parents wanted us) to be.

All parentheses aside, McCain is very much of an opportunist, and he wants what he wants for himself. Again, I don't see what Cindy needs from him. They clearly seem to have separate lives, and now that dear, distant dreadfully wealthy daddy is gone, one would think that she coulda done better. Ah, well.

Getting back to the kit for just a wee mere moment -- whatever happened to Y.A. Tittle? And how's *that* for a name? A little boy down the block from me in the 1950s just adored him, and I remember the name, because I thought it was funny. Still do, somehow.

Congrats, MO!!! What was the medal in?

Welcome back, too, Mudge. I tried not to leave a mess in the bunker, but, well, I started getting irritable, and my level of crankiness might have risen to the estimable crankiness of Maggie (huzzahs to you, Mags), and when that happens, the bunker inevitably has to lose. So there.

One thing about vacations where there's a lot of activity is that when you come home, you need a vacation. . . . .

And there we are. Trying to keep my eyelids from flagging, too. Looks positively lovely outside. Perhaps I'll join it. . . .

Toodles to all and sundry. Well, "most" and sundry if there are any trolls lurking.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Mo: fienned or pho?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 2:54 PM

umm... i don't get it... am i being a dunce?

Pho 75 in arlington has the best pho ever! we've dubbed it "crack soup" cuz i'm convinced they must have crack in it! i always get a pho "high" after eating it (along with a pho "belly" - the large #12 is really filling!)
(is the sodium count really high in pho? i'm trying to watch my blood pressure tho i'm sure the viet. coffee didn't help any)

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Man!

Gotta drag myself off to a gemstone show! I hate it when that happens!!!

(stumbles off saying, "Ick, ick, ick!")

Posted by: dbG | August 22, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Irving Saladino of Panama won in long jump with 8.34m (27.36 ft for the metrically challenged).

Posted by: omni | August 22, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

ftb -

"Panamanians celebrated excited on Monday the gold medal Irving Saladino won in long jump with 8.34m at the Olympic Games of Beijing, since this was the first gold Panama ever won at the Olympics."

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Irving? There's a Panamanian named Irving?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

ftb writes
"What this comes down to is the reality that McCain actually did earn his money the old fashioned way -- he married it. . . .and, now *he's* the princess we all wanted (or our parents wanted us) to be."

Hah! Almost lost a mouthfull of coffee to the keyboard there.

Posted by: Kerric | August 22, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Hi, RD! Don't you love unscheduled meetings at which you must present something? At least, after a week of it, you were probably prepared. I'm sure you had all those leftover words you didn't get to use during the previous talks. I myself like "inexplicable", "discombobulate" and "defenestrate". It is also good to throw in a lot of article adjectives. I bet they were all jealous of your Hawaiian shirt.

There's a great crime novel by Isaac Adamson set in Japan called "Dreaming Pachinko". It was my introduction to the sport. Game. Athletic event. I like the Boodle as pachinko machine.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 22, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

New Hope! Mudge, my oldest half brother and family lived in Bucks County in the mid-Sixties. We had several happy visits and I have pleasant memories of New Hope and Lambertville. I'd love to go back.

Thanks for thinking of me. Sounds like a cute set. I gave chess up when my younger brother beat me in about four moves; I am chagrined to admit that I broke the board over his head. It was cardboard, thankfully, so no permanent harm done.

Enjoyed the story on Obama's upbringing. It's really an inspiring, all-American success story. Just goes to show that smarts don't always correlate with riches, and the best are those who can start with smarts and make the riches happen. And riches aren't necessarily monetary.

Posted by: slyness | August 22, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

'mudge - what? you expect all the panamanian men to be named jesus?

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

only other panamanian to win a medal in the olympics (in 1946) Lloyd Lebeach... huh... Lloyd and Irving... from Panama... okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, mo -- and thank you! I thought you'd like that little coffin number. ;-)

No Vietnamese iced coffee for me today... just two pots of the regular percolated stuff, then another pot of some double-percolated super-high-test for caffe mochas after lunch. Just finished mowing the MIL's lawn at her rental house (in record time... can't imagine why) and am now coming down from my hyperbuzz with some cold brewskies.

Cool find/rediscovery while at the rental house: was moving some paint cans and stuff out to the garage and found three untouched 8-foot red oak 1"x12"s that I was going to use to build a bar top for the kitchen there. The bar top got ixnayed and it's too late to return the wood to the lumber yard, so I'm thinking "premium" fairy doors.

Jumper... how's red oak do in FL climate?

Posted by: martooni | August 22, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Where's Rogge's outrage over this:

Posted by: Raysmom | August 22, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

mo - I said "caffiend" as a combination of the fiend caffiene, so Mudge took it that all-important step further. Say it aloud:

"Caffiend or pho?"

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 22, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

It's been ages since I gave you folks a tune cootie. So let's try this piece of afternoon delight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2m8Pgo_440

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Red oak wood grain is so open that smoke can be blown through it from end-grain to end-grain on a flatsawn board.

Pity the poor gnomes who live in drafy homes.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom -- did you read the "comments" associated with the article? Pretty chilling.

*sigh*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 22, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

And another version:

Posted by: pj | August 22, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

sheesh *shaking head* i AM a dunce! i'm a a maroon! i thought it was just a typo...

excellent video of my compatriot winning the long jump...

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Is is just me or is this wording strange. I keep reading it and shaking my head. Not sure if it is me at the end of a long we or they way it is written.

From the AP,

WASHINGTON – The secret holding, Barack Obama today readied announcement by text message of his vice presidential running mate from a list suddenly spiced by a dark horse from Texas

Posted by: dmd | August 22, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It's not you, dmd. The modifier, "The secret holding," dangles a bit and is also somewhat ambiguous (two meanings for "holding," one a verb, one a noun). And the word order is...um...artsy. And I believe the sibilant alliteration, "list suddenly spiced by a dark horse from Texas," is deliberate.

Not that I would ever do such a thing.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

On a lighter note, it seems poutine will finally get its do - honoured at a festival.

Posted by: dmd | August 22, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

mudge - i'll see your tune cootie and raise you

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

In the surfing world, the late Eddie Aikau was near-perfectly named. Earlier on, Duke Kahanamoku. Kelly Slater misses out in the name department, but the amazing 36 year old is utterly astonishing, keeping up with guys with better names, like Mick Fanning.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 22, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Good one, mo. But tell me this, in the first line, "How come he don't come and p.i.p. with me," what does "p.i.p." mean?
(Googled and wikied it; got zip.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Never mind; found it. It isn't p.i.p.; it is p.l.p., meaning "play a little pool."

But talk about obscure. Sheesh.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 22, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

//McCain actually did earn his money the old fashioned way -- he married it. . . .and, now *he's* the princess we all wanted (or our parents wanted us) to be.// firsttimeblogger

Picturing John McCain as a sleeping beauty type princess. EEeewwww ......

Somebody pass the mind bleach, please.

The only way to clear my head from that is to go run. I did 2.6 miles last night. Tonight's goal: 3.0

Posted by: Don from I-270 | August 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

The Poutine Festival is a meta festival dmd. It was thought out by the band "Les Trois Accords" as a way to give something back to their hometown, Drummondville. The idea of an event came first, the theme came later. For the record, I think poutine originated in the Valleyfield area, not Drummond.
Trois accords means 3 chords, as the band claims to know only that much about music. It is more or less accurate but the guys are bright, fun and very good at organization and planning events.
I'm methaphorically and otherwise linked to their place of origin but I'll pass on that.
Here, in hommage to dr's Saskatchewan:

And for Barack:

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 22, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't change horses in the middle of a metaphor. Horse spice?

Anonymous's 4:03 is one I never tried, but wouldn't be surprised if it's true. I have put all sorts of wood outdoors, and was surprised how much of the stuff that makes great floors is not too good at resisting the elements. Red oak doesn't. Heart pine can, but inferior wood is ALWAYS mixed in with the good resiny boards. My only knowledge of good rot-resistant wood is the aforementioned cypress and cedar, of fencepost fame. White oak may be a good bet, but I couldn't produce any evidence one way or another. White oak is often hard as he11. I don't know if that makes it more resistant to decay. I know the harder the wood, the more the termites will avoid it: too much energy in chewing they must invest for the payoff. But they will eat it, eventually.

I have never notice a pho buzz. Perhaps it's MSG, if they use it. That can give me an unpleasant buzz. I likes the caffeine mo betta. Even so, a bit of MSG makes bacon taste twice as good. No lie. I wonder what the tiniest trace of MSG in a cuppa joe would do for the taste? I've put tiny traces of salt in my coffee before and it makes a good cup. I haven't bought MSG in years; can't remember if I ever did. I discovered the MSG on bacon trick while a kid at parents' house. My dad's company made the stuff. (Accent)

Posted by: Jumper | August 22, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

All right, I have to let it out. I can't keep quiet anymore, and besides it's probably going to be leaked soon anyway.

So here goes:

I have been asked by the Obama campaign to serve as his Vice President. Yes, that's right.

Of course, I've only just heard this from someone on his staff calling from his cellphone. So, I should be hearing from Senator Obama very soon.

At least, the guy said he was on the Senator's staff. I didn't exactly get his name. And I don't really know anyone on his staff.

Still, I'm staying close to the phone. Just to confirm.

You are free to send your cheery congratulations at any time. Just don't call, ok? I want to keep the line open.

Posted by: CowTown | August 22, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I think the guy said his name was "Jeff."

I'm pretty sure. Anyone know a Jeff on the Obama campaign staff? Just wondering.

I didn't get his last name.

Posted by: CowTown | August 22, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

E-mail announced that Obama named...(If you did not receive this message, please refresh your browser.)

Posted by: Shiloh | August 22, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Another old baseball name:

Urban Shocker

Posted by: wwood | August 22, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Or, it might have been "Jeb."

Is there a Jeb on the Obama staff.

No matter. Phone should ring any second now.

Posted by: CowTown | August 22, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

This is why you take a kid fishing,other then the excitement they get with the whole fishing experience.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 22, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, the Hayes won't deep fried that number and eat her between themselves. That's a fat channel cat, they are more torpedoe-like around here.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 22, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was "Jess."

It could have been "Jess."

The phone rang while I was in the bathroom. But it was my mother-in-law. Almost killed myself running for the phone with my pants halfway down. Jeesh.

I'll be happy to serve as Vice President. I have lots of ideas. I hear you get a driver.

Posted by: CowTown | August 22, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

You don't get a driver CowTown, you get a motorized cavalcade. The Evil One's are famous.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 22, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Pieter Cornelis Martijn van den Hoogenband

And the partnership of Dick Dull (ex-UNC Football coach) & Dick Crum (ex-Maryland athletics director)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, shrieking denizen.

If I get a cavalcade, I won't use giant black SUV's. It'll be a parade of Prius'.

Gonna be environmentally correct and all.

Maybe I should turn on my cell phone. They may have been trying to call my cell. You think?

Posted by: CowTown | August 22, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I just noticed something -- maybe it has already been commented upon. The Jamaican relay team just took the 4X100 men's relay gold in (yet another) stunning world record performance, 37.10 seconds. That's 0.3 seconds faster than the previous record, set 15 years ago. Now, 37.10/4 = 9.275 seconds. That means that, on average, each leg of the relay was substantially faster than Bolt's WR time of 9.69 seconds in the 100 m. How can that be? Seems like maybe the WaPo has misprinted the 4X100 time. Could it be?

Posted by: PlainTim | August 22, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Would the fact that 3 of the 4 runners have a running start be the reason? I believe the time is correct.

In swimming not unusual for individual times to be faster in a relay than a race - I do not have an explanation except that you seems to have an extra boost of energy when involved in a relay race.

Posted by: dmd | August 22, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

cowtown - i'm sooooo giggling over here!

gwe - my mom used to take me fishing when i was little and i had one of those kiddie fishing poles - i always caught more than the adults... my mum theorized that maybe the line is thinner on kiddie poles so the fish are less likely to see it??? *shrug*

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

The point about a running start on 3 of the 4 legs sounds persuasive, requiring no time off the clock to accelerate up to speed.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 22, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Math isn't my strong point, but it seems that average speed is like measuring the average depth of water without mentioning a deep channel. I guess the chemical composition of water and air may have something to do with it, or the molecular speed of dna in feet. The dog days, siriously, end soon, thanks

Posted by: Shilohcat | August 22, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

jumper - i don't think it's msg cuz i'm wildly allergic to msg and get the worst headaches... i've never *purposely* put msg on anything!

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Mo
My fishing buddy has had a couple of poles like that, last year she caught a very good size Bass on the little tiny Cinderella pole. This past summer she got a big kids pole,although it was pink.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 22, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

shilohkitteh no has math skilz!

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

cats pause b4 counting 2b sure.

Posted by: Shilohcat | August 22, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

kitteh paws b4 counting?

Posted by: mo | August 22, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

cats no pause kittens paws b4 count on teats.

Posted by: Shilohcat | August 22, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

cat math do Nepal factions.

Posted by: Shilohcat | August 22, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

CowTown, congratulations! You're the spectacular surprise I was hoping for!

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 22, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, locust is what you use for fences when you want wood that won't rot in forever. Mr. T bought locust posts and rails for the fence at the mountain house. He only needed to do three eight-foot sections. With the specialized cuts to get it to fit on the crossties and cutting slots for the rails, it took him two and a half days. Strong wood there.

Posted by: slyness | August 22, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, mo, I can't imagine being allergic to MSG. I love the stuff. I hope you are aware that MSG has many kissing cousins such as "hydrolyzed yeast protein" that show up all over the place.

And although some indict this substance for everyone, I find the literature unconvincing. And, personally, I heve never had a problem of it. In fact, I purchase "Accent" in the jumbo size and consume copious quantities.

But, you know, I can quit whenever I want.

Really... I can.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 22, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "problem with it."

"Post Button Stress Disorder" strikes again.

I think I will log off and watch "Jeopardy" with the Mrs. They are having one of the Teen Tournaments. Which means I actually know some of the answers.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 22, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Bryan Clay on winning the Olympic decathalon, he now gets the title as the "worlds greatest athelete"

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 22, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hats off for the Nats. They thumped the Cubbies 13-5. As the ivy goes, so go the Cubs. The game was rain delayed for over an hour. Looks like the home team was all wet. Still waiting for Obama.

Posted by: jack | August 22, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Have decided not to stay up all night awaiting the e-mail announcement of Obama's pick. Toodles boodle, and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten | August 22, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. What if *both* Obama and McCain Obama and McCain selected Joe Lieberman as their running mate for VP?

A friend of mine suggested to me the idea of cross-party ticket some time back (I believe I'd mentioned this in the Boodle as well), and thinking about that led me to this startlingly simple solution (a personal motto: Simple solutions for a simple guy).

Is anyone aware of a reason that a VP candidate can't run on more than one ticket?

Other than the fact that it would be difficult to sell a lot of commercials for the VP debates, that is?

[I think that Billy Crystal or Robin Williams debating themselves would make for wonderfully engaging TV. Especially if Williams does it as the late William F Buckley.)

bc

Posted by: bc | August 22, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Ewwwww, Lieberman. Looking more and more like Biden, unless it's Clinton, or Sibelius, or someone completely out of left field (CowTown!).

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 22, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

How about, on the Dem ticket, we get Error as nominee and CowTown as Veep? Sounds good to me.

Posted by: Yoki | August 22, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Me too, Yoki.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 22, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Not a sports name, but was "Willie McCool" (bless him!) the best name EVER for an astronaut pilot, or what?!?

Posted by: Bob S. | August 22, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Of course, "Sally Ride" has a certain flair as well!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 22, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

dmd - In a swimming relay, you can (if done correctly) get a MUCH better start in a relay than in a regular race, because the swimmers (except for the first) get to see the approach of the incoming swimmer, and time their start such that they are essentially in full flight with their toes leaving the block scant milliseconds after the touch.

Much different from having to react to a somewhat unpredictable starter's gun/tone/whatever.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 22, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

cnn is reporting that they've confirmed that obama picked biden.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 23, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

"...the arugula of hot beverages".

The arugula goings-on remind me of a Jacksonville developer (nicknamed Squirrel) who, seeing whole hillsides of mustard greens on a spring trip to California, flew home with enough for a couple of meals. He couldn't understand why Californians would ignore good greens growing all over the place.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 23, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

You may have scooped the front desk, lal. Now things will get interesting.

Posted by: jack | August 23, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Dave - Just recently I introduced an acquaintance (31 years old), who's lived in the D.C. area her whole life, to the simple, subtle joy of plucking the guts out of a honeysuckle flower, and licking that little drop of nectar. I know that the area isn't as crowded with honeysuckle as is my native Georgia, but sheesh! Do parents not have any pride about teaching their kids the important things in life anymore?

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Picking Biden hardly qualifies as big news. Picking Clinton or Lieberman or Osama bin Laden... any of THEM would be big news!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

well, it seems like the cat's out of the bag, but that means that the whole text message announcement thing didn't really work. wonder how people will feel about that.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 23, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm old enough that I have some actual thoughts about Biden (mostly, I like him) but to most folks under thirty-five, I imagine that he's just one more boring old white dude.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Not a pho person because I dislike soup and other hot liquids. My wife makes fun of me for ordering grilled pork over noodles instead. I don't know what is in that pork marinade, but it is deelish.

If Brooks wants Biden, there is some definite Briar Patch Politics going on. And it looks like Obama went and grabbed that tarbaby.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 23, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

yello - I was never a fraternity fella, so my Greek's a little rusty, but "pho" is the letter somewhere between "upchuck" and "chicks", isn't it?

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 2:37 AM | Report abuse

Yellojkt, my sister's like that.

Alas, hot liquids are my lifeline in cold weather, and I do like pho, especially with all the veggies that come with it.

If I'm in town, Mo and I must plan a pho BPH. We just must.

I like the dry dishes too, but I often find vietnamese BBQ or whatever that is way too sweet for me.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 23, 2008 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Wilbrod - That's because you've been hangin' out with the affluent Vietnamese. Trust me when I tell you that no po' folks, nowhere, regularly eat anything particularly sweet. One of the definitions of wealth is: "Can afford the time/money/effort to eat sweet stuff before bigger/stronger/wealthier creatures take it away!"

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Is that 'pho' like in Phee Phy Pho Phum?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 23, 2008 3:59 AM | Report abuse

I had that once. It's good with phlum sauce!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 4:02 AM | Report abuse

Our only Vietnamese restaurant closed a couple of years back. The restaurant didn’t have many varieties of Vietnamese food but what they had was pretty good. I think they closed because their food were a little pricey.

On funny names : My big boss’s name, at the bank I had worked in the bay area once upon a time, was Dick Trembly. Everyone when mentioned his name would have a grin on their faces. I wasn’t very “educated” then and didn’t quite get it. I only now get it. I’m slow, I know.

Posted by: rainforest | August 23, 2008 4:17 AM | Report abuse

rainforest - I'm pushing fifty pretty hard, and I'm still finding out just how "adult" some of the humor in the old "Looney Tunes"/"Merrie Melodies" stuff of the 1930's-1950's could be! We're all a little slow sometimes, I think.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning, you all.

My congratulations go to Obama for shopping in Whole Foods! Their 365 brand is every bit as competitively priced and other chains' brands. The difference is you will not find additives and preservatives and who knows what all in their products! Their variety of produce, cheeses, meats, etc. is remarkable considering that their stores are not supermarket size, much smaller, although not quite as small as Trader Joe's. The only thing that I find to be expensive there is their fish, which I buy occasionally. I trust WF that it will be fresh and tasty. Joel, I favor romaine lettuce, haven't bought ice berg lettuce in years, it always tastes funny, even after being washed. Fun article, Joel.

Biden? I'm sure Obama gave great consideration before making his pick. Now the pundits (sp?) have something to chew on for the weekend.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 23, 2008 4:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little disappointed that none of the pointy-headed regulars here weighed in (or at least, not under names that I recognized) with comments on this story:

It's not a particularly earth-shattering situation: A well-to-do couple has decided to build a sizable power-generating windmill on their property in southern Maryland, as an "in-your-face" gesture to the local power utility, whose large coal-burning power plant is visible nearby.

The comments have been interesting (except for mine!), and I've made a few attempts at keeping the conversation there alive.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 5:02 AM | Report abuse

Vintage Lady - I'm disappointed with you! Are you not fully cognizant of the tremendous amount of blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into the choice and production of each of the additives & preservatives present in non-365 brands?

Good gosh, woman, how's a hard-working food chemist supposed to make a living!?!?

:-D

Posted by: Bob S. | August 23, 2008 5:10 AM | Report abuse

Biden... *shrug*

*off-on-another-weekend-adventure Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 23, 2008 5:45 AM | Report abuse

And jumping all the way back to 4:19, that lede COULD have read "The secret-holding Barack Obama today readied announcement, by text message, ..." and it would have made more sense. Still would have been a horrible lede, but anyway...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 23, 2008 5:49 AM | Report abuse

Scottynuke,
You too are up ridiculously early? Poor Chris Cillizza was up and blogging at 1:30 am.

I guess we'll soon be informed that Delaware is a perfidious place, a sort of offshore service center for American business. A veritable Cayman Islands or Bermuda attached to the US.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 23, 2008 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Well, Dave, they do have the duPonts, richest family in America, gun powder and Salt Peter profits....there may be fodder there.

Bob, "better living through chemistry"? ;-)

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 23, 2008 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Biden eh? Hummmm. Barack's going for the old white guy bloc he's still having trouble with. But Biden has quite a number of bad soundbits to his name. Given the size of his bloviation over the years that is a small fraction of his hot air contribution but still...
He's got the tan, the teeth and the hair though...

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 23, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all.

Biden works for me, even if he is another old white guy. Let's get moving on the real campaign now! I'm ready for a win!

Posted by: slyness | August 23, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

I've always been a Biden fan (who cares if he talks a lot? He makes sense...and some things are actually, like, yanno...complicated). But I think he shoulda been saved for Sec. of State. But I can easily live with this choice.

Gotta go make the (modest) trash run-- got all those wine cartons to take to the dump for recycling.

Later.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 23, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. It is Saturday morning, and for the past two days, it has felt like Saturday morning to me. Finally it is here, and somehow, it does not feel like Saturday morning. Yes, I woke up this way. And no, I haven't had my meds yet.

Scotty, Slyness, Mudge, Martooni, time to do something. Morning all. *waving*

My hearing-aid fell apart this morning, so that means the world is quiet today, and the rest of the week. I've just had serious work done on that piece of technology, now it had the nerve to fall apart. I'm going to be upbeat about this, I just refuse to sink.

Today is my daughter's birthday. She isn't talking to me, still upset. I did email her and wish her a happy birthday. Didn't try to do that on the phone, too frustrating for me and her. I hope she enjoys her day.

Slyness, the report by the Locke Foundation only adds to the report card grade for the schools which was not good. Most here failed. I believe there is a plan to get rid of public schools altogether. Every year it seems the news about public schools is not good. There is always some plan or other to change or improve the schools that doesn't work. Maybe it's all just hot air.

yello, perhaps you can expound on "tarbaby"?

Ivansmom, John McCain is too old, and if he picks a younger person for his running mate, it still smacks of something not good. It seems like deja vu. Almost like Reagan reading the cue cards, Nancy being President.

Enjoy your weekend, folks. It is cloudy here, and a gentle breeze is blowing. It feels a little like fall. Some of my plants are looking good. I'm hoping the others join that number.

Posted by: cassandra s | August 23, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

It's Pho as in:

Doe Ray Me Pho Sew La Tea...Doe
or
I like this Joe Pho better than that other Joe

not
Phee Phy Pho Phum

Still love Mr. Mudge's gem :-)

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 23, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

New kit on Arugula madness!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 23, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I have posted my arugula story as a new kit.

There's one thing about the Biden pick that strikes me: The rewards that come to those who find a way to stick around. Biden was a Wonder Boy. He was elected to the Senate when he was, what, 29, just barely legal (I should look it up but it's a weekend, sorry). And he had presidential dreams ... Then he had his great tragedy...and later almost died of the aneurysm...and flamed out in '88 when he ran for president...but has finally landed on a ticket.

Posted by: Achenbach | August 23, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I went through high school near Dover and got to do a summer science program at U of D. I shoulda got my BS there. The Hotel DuPont in Wilmington was amazing. Saw my first opera there. Wasn't impressed. Also Royal Hunt of the Sun???

In my earlier comment about unsavory Delaware, I thought about mentioning gunpowder that was used to slaughter honorable Confederates. Enough to make you think Biden lives near the mouth of the Underworld.

I think the DuPont corporation and its many spinoffs have faded from being conspiracy-buff favorites. Pierre Samuel DuPont certainly had plenty of money to build fountains at his country estate, Longwood.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 23, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

DotC, listen to the boss. He says there's a new kit.

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 23, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

aebn clip daily free uniform video <a href="http://runwithus.com/enom/Setup/files/news-1006-2008071e[/link]

Posted by: aebn clip daily free uniform video | August 23, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

m s systems [link=http://artypac.com/images/animations_flash/media/topic1274.htm]m s systems[/link]

Posted by: god smack | August 24, 2008 5:42 AM | Report abuse

sumycin [link=http://astrollantas.com.mx/catalogo/images/pixels/text-170.html]sumycin[/link]

Posted by: jet look what you done video | August 24, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

event horizon movie plot event horizon movie plot [link=http://photojpl.com/blog/wp-content/themes/ice-1ntreal.ca/inutile/administrator/images/news-509-2008-07-17.html]applied mechanics review[/link]

Posted by: event horizon movie plot | August 25, 2008 4:29 AM | Report abuse

A little late to this party, but may I offer:

Calvin Coolidge Julius Caesar Tuskahoma McLish. Also known as "Cal."

And lest we forget, onetime Royals infielder Peter LaCock, and Reds pitching coach Dick Pole.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

rca dvd vcr video recorder rca dvd vcr video recorder [link=http://endoftheweak.com/propayne/deepblue/sounds/article1459.htm]rca dvd vcr video recorder[/link]

Posted by: online apporval credit cards | August 28, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse