Biden for Veep?

Much speculation in Blogworld that Obama will pick Joe Biden. This may simply be the buzz of the moment.

Biden would be a pretty safe choice, though he does tend to talk and talk and talk and talk and talk, usually without a script. At an event in Des Moines earlier this year, a reporter and I had a small bet on how long Biden would speak. He was told that, under the rules of the forum (other candidates and surrogates were also on hand) he could talk for no more than 10 minutes. The reporter and I established the over-under at 17 minutes. I took the under. Huge blunder. Biden cruised effortless past the 17-minute mark and coasted to a stop at 18.

Reading this piece of investigative guesswork from Howard Fineman, one thing jumps out: Political types always talk about how a Veep pick will help the ticket, but there's typically very little discussion of how this person would perform in the administration, and particularly how he/she would perform if forced to succeed [is that the word I want??? i'm going with it] to the presidency.

In that respect, Biden would be a plausible pick, because although he has no executive experience, he's clearly got more gravitas and experience than some of the other folks who have been considered.

[Remember: The presidency is a very hard job.]

Olympics Dept.:

I love these photos of the photo-finish between Phelps and Cavic in the men's 100 fly. Yep, prove its -- Phelps really touched first, somehow.

Meanwhile, gotta check out Steinberg's blog items from the Olympics, like this one.

More politics: Interesting analysis here of the Saddleback showdown betwixt Obama and McCain.

Another great Andrea Bruce photo-essay from Baghdad. (I gotta learn how to take pictures.) (And write.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 19, 2008; 5:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gourmet Dirt
Next: Zogby, and President Dukakis

Comments

Posted by: Shiloh | August 19, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Know nothing about politics101.

Hi, Martooni. Hi, Cassandra.

Posted by: daiwanlan | August 19, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

From the last kit:

Re: The male gaze. Ya gotta feel sorry for the guys, sometimes...

Re: Walking while beautiful, I think 'nique's got it down

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 19, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Man, them Chinese have cameras everywhere!
At least it helps convince people that Phelps wasn't part of some huge conspiracy. I mean, they have pictures and everything. And everyone knows digital images cannot be manipulated.

Oh. Great. Now I've done it.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cassandra - thanks for the kind comment last boodle. It isn't often that I have to get all prettied up so I try to accept when I need to with grace. And I think I looked reasonably professional today.

I mean, gold watch chains and vests are still in, aren't they?

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I was going to write this in the other Kit, when Joel alerted us of new Kit coming.

What, mega-large multinationals running things? Here is an example of what a large copper mining company can do.

In Chile, by law (La Ley del Cobre) stipulates that the defence budget be based on CODELCO, the state owned copper mining company's profits.

10% of this company's profits
are capable of supporting a modern army of approx. 60,000 with 300 Tiger tanks and other armored equipment. A small air force with 3 combat squadrons, a navy with 5 modern submarines plus other surface units. This comes out to 2.7% of GDP.

CODELCO is one of the largest copper mining companies in the world, but a dwarf compared with EXXON or Royal Schell.

This puts into perspective what sort of power the mega companies can weild.

This example is for only 10% of profits!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

oops aAnnonimous is me

Posted by: Brag | August 19, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

From Wikipedia:
Biden was quoted on January 31, 2007 as saying: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy, I mean, that's a storybook, man." His comments took second place on Time Magazine's list of Top 10 Campaign Gaffes for 2007.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Joel, too late on learning to write and take pictures. You're already a master.

Not being an evangelical, I didn't watch the Saddleback proceedings. I'm sure McCain scored with the crowd, but like Mudge says, Obama isn't going to get their votes anyway. Good thing they aren't in a majority.

Posted by: slyness | August 19, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Hot pants! :-)

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 19, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

#1 gaffe of 2007 was Rudy G. talking about spending more time at ground zero than the workers, and #4 was McCain singing "Bomb, bomb,bomb...bomb,bomb Iran."

Posted by: Shiloh | August 19, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, I didn't get a ticket to the Obama acceptance speech :-( but I did make some new friends while making phone calls at the Obama headquarters and will volunteer again. Democrats are friendlier than republicans IMHO.

I also will be volunteering at the DNC 2 of the 4 days next week so I will be right in the middle of things. Should be veerrddy interesting.

We had to do mandatory training such as remembering to make eye contact and be genuinely friendly to our DNC guests in an hour long video clip I watched since I couldn't make the onsite orientation.

Imagine that. Eye contact. : : : :

Welcome to Denver, the mile high city. :-)

Posted by: eidrib | August 19, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

When are they going to make fishing an Olympic sport?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 19, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey eidrib... how'd the job interview go?

I must be the only person in the world who hasn't watched one millisecond of swimming in this Olympics, so I have no idea which of the swimmers in those SI pictures is Phelps.

I gather from the captions, he's the one on the left, but even the photo finish doesn't really show me.. I only figured it out from their description of his extra stroke.

Poor caption writing is a sin if you ask me.

Posted by: TBG | August 19, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

It went very well, TBG. Didn't get to see much of San Diego but hey, they flew me in! And we, the three of us, women (unusual in a techie environment) in the interview (those 2 and me) were all wearing black pant suits. Did I fit in or what. Will be having a short follow-up call tomorrow morning. Hope to know by the end of the week. So nerve wracking!

Posted by: eidrib | August 19, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the captions confused me, too. but the photos are really cool.

if i had to place a bet, i'd bet obama's going to pick biden for veep. it's a safe and sensible thing to do. it helps cover the foreign policy expertise issue, which is going to be a main area of attack from mccain.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 19, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I will say that there's near certainty that he WON'T pick John Edwards.

Posted by: slyness | August 19, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the Sinfest link which brought me finally to here:

Posted by: Jumper | August 19, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Brag, I don't follow CODELCO as an example. By definition, a multi-national corporation has limited ties to any one country hence the critique of MNC loyalties (or lack thereof). CODELCO as a state-owned corporation would be the opposite.

Also, the way that was written insinuates a kind of ominous military-industrial complex link, but I think the more likely innocuous explanation would be defence budget control (probably an idea of the Chicago Boys) based on tax revenues from the leading industry.

I was actually drawn into look into that by the reference to "Tiger tanks". My Wikiing suggests the Chileans use Leopard 1's and Leopard 2A4's.

Posted by: SonofCarl | August 19, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I think I've got it.

Eye contact: good
Male gaze: bad

Posted by: SonofCarl | August 19, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

eidrib... would you move to San Diego? Or is that just the home office for your company in Denver?

Posted by: TBG | August 19, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Better than I can do it.

Posted by: Jumper | August 19, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Observations, obliquely on kit, on rereading The Doonesbury Chronicles (1975) this afternoon:

1. I had forgotten that Mike and B.D. were originally college roommates at Walden.

2. The artwork in Doonesbury has improved tremendously over the years, but the cutting wit has always been there.

3. The original depiction of Uncle Duke really does make him look like Hunter Thompson.

4. Joanie Caucus was born in 1935. Wow. I still identify with her anguish at applying to law schools and being waitlisted, till the University of California admitted her.

5. The strip of the wall coming down after Nixon's resignation still is one of the most powerful ones Trudeau ever did.

Posted by: slyness | August 19, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Gazing

versus

Making eye contact

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 19, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

SonoCarl.

You are right about the Leopards. It is 100Leopard I, 200 Leopard II.

I only used CODELCO as a reference to what the profits of one company are capable of doing.

The great multinationals mostly bribe polititians to use their country's armed Forces (eg. Invasion of Iraq, placing Saakashvili in Georgia).

Posted by: Brag | August 19, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

And JA's fans just blabber on and on and on, never thinking that they might be doing the author a disservice by posting nothing but off-topic idiocy. Why don't you people just use IM for your little party and leave the comments section to those who have something relevant to say about JA's posts?

Posted by: Shut Up | August 19, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Lovely pics of the photo finish, Joel. It's clear Lezco made a mistake of coasting with his head up the last few yards, instead of swimming full speed that last few feet.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I recall being put on a waitlist. The info provided with it was as clear as could be (without saying it plainly) that probably no one would be accepted from the list, barring a 1918-style flu outbreak or an extraordinary number of accidents killing off those who'd been admitted.

Thus, I figured that waitlists were simply a polite way of assuring the vast majority of the applicants that their grades and whatnot had been adequate.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 19, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Shut Up: Because this isn't any blog. It's the Achenblog. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Shut up has no apreciation for the joys of listening into the private lives of Boodlers

Posted by: Brag | August 19, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Blabbering and drooling are the 2 things I really excell at.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 19, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I refer you to this historical account of the Achenblog.

Also see the offical comment policy as of 2006:

Finally, the comment style here does attract attention.

There is even a wikipedia entry for Achenbach that explains the Achenblog slightly.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Shut Up:

Shut up. Start your own blob.

Posted by: oaggie m'd | August 19, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

On a darker note, the causal lack of concern for whatever Achenbach wrote is good. We are no longer shocked when he's good.

(Yeah, today was good, it's always good, Joel, like the last 1,000 blogs, by the way.)

See, it should actually reassure Achenbach that nobody's planning to stalk him and make Achenstew out of him and his laptop if he doesn't blog about how great they are.

Right?

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I think that irrelevance and irreverence are the relevant and revered qualities that make this blog a boodle. Off topic blabbering is the *sine qua non* of its existence. While other blogs fade into dim memory, this one lumbers on, and sometimes on and on and on and on...

Posted by: Shiloh | August 19, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Kind of a meta-comment by Shut Up, wasn't it? I mean... was he or she on topic?

Posted by: TBG | August 19, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

OK, I admit it. The hot pants link had nothing to do with Biden...or with hot pants, come to think of it
(it was for you Wilbrodog :-)

Is there an AchenAward for the offest of off-topic comments/links?

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 19, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Judge not, less you be judged, he/she said self-righteously.

Posted by: oaggie m'd | August 19, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

If everyone commented on what I wrote about then I'd always have to write something worth commenting on: Too much pressure.

FYI, I fixed the spelling of Fineman. Not Feinman.

Posted by: Achenbach | August 19, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

You know, the wonderful thing about the Olympics is that it fosters appreciation for lesser-known sports and other countries. For example, for some strange reason my son and his little teenaged friends have suddenly started to display and intense interest in both women's javelin and Paraguay.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

That was a little hard to watch, all that line work and changing colors, but thanks DNAgirl!

For your summery thoughts, I give you a taste of spring (steen).

My life goes on in endless bark
Above Earth's lamentation
I smell the real, though far-off scent
That hails the new creation

What though the wolves loudly howl
I hear the truth, it liveth
What though the darkness around me close
growls in the night, it giveth

When timber trembles, thick with deer
And smears their breath-smells harking
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from barking?

No noise can shake my innermost calm
While on that rock I'm marking
Since love is Lord in Heaven and Earth
How can I keep from barking?

Posted by: Wilbrodog | August 19, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Is THIS on topic?, she asks innocently. Since I'm still boycotting links, here's the whole thing from Borowitz Report.

Biden Prepares 50,000-Word Acceptance Speech

Senator to Address Convention on Wednesday, Thursday

In an indication that he expects to be Barack Obama's vice-presidential pick, Sen. Joseph Biden (D-Del) has begun writing a 50,000-word acceptance speech, aides to the senator confirmed today. The address, which Mr. Biden has been working on around the clock, is an abridged version of a 200,000-word acceptance speech that Mr. Biden wrote when he ran for President in 1988. According to those familiar with the speech, if Mr. Biden is tapped as Mr. Obama's vice presidential choice the Delaware senator would begin delivering the speech on Wednesday night of the Democratic convention and conclude it on Thursday night. Representatives of television news divisions said they were undecided as to how to cover the Biden speech, but none were willing to commit to covering the speech live in its entirety. "We may wind up airing some of it on CNBC or maybe the USA Network, and then cut away to something else," said Carol Foyler on NBC News. "We're basically going to treat it like the hammer throw." Mr. Biden, who was accused of plagiarizing a speech by a British politician when he ran for President in 1988, is unlikely toget caught doing that this time, according to one aide: "If there are some plagiarized bits in this speech, he'll stick them at the end after the audience has lost consciousness."

Posted by: Maggie O'D | August 19, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I just got an email from Michael Moore in which he asks Caroline Kennedy, the head of Obama's VP selection committee, to nominate herself to be Obama's VP candidate. Moore tells her to "pull a Cheney." You know, maybe that's not a bad idea. An Obama-Kennedy ticket sounds promising.

Posted by: Aloha | August 19, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, daiwanlan.

RD, I'm sure you rocked the house this morning.

CP, thanks.

My dad thinks it's going to be Biden.

My little garden spot is full of collards. Someone gave me more plants. These are suppose to last year-round. I hope they don't die.

Yoki, love the math.

Shut up, welcome, and I noticed you're in the same bag, not on topic.

Time for bed. Wednesday is the busy day. Have a good evening all. Night, boodle. Sweet dreams.

Posted by: cassandra s | August 19, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joel!

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

"Shut up, welcome, and I noticed you're in the same bag, not on topic."

Leave it to Cassandra to have the last and most salient comment!

Posted by: slyness | August 19, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope so Cassandra. The hardest thing to do when I have to brief a bunch of important people is to suppress my sense of humor.

My alleged sense of humor.

And I get to do it again tomorrow!

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Also, thanks, Joel, very much for linking to that Andrea Bruce blog. It is compelling and beautiful.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Here he is in fewer than 50,000 words.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 19, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Good one Ms. Cassandra.

Thanks for the song, Wilbrosteen

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 19, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

How about skipping stones and frisbee golf as Olympic sports?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 19, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't you just love Cassandra? I do.

Hello You. You are an amazing woman, and I love your ()-innocent way of drawing us all. Love love love.

And LOL that you called out Shut Up.

To rest and possibly to sleep.

G'night all.

Posted by: Yoki | August 19, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Maggie, thanks for that. I love Borowitz and forgot to check him out today. Cassandra, you are priceless! (That’s a compliment.)

Rachel Maddow is going to have her own show on MSNBC right after Keith Olbermann starting September 8th. I am so happy. She is whip smart, personable and a genuine liberal. I used to listen to her on Air America, when they had an outlet here and I had an actual commute to work.

Biden does talk a lot but every now and then he says something that cuts right to the heart of the subject in a very non-BS way. I’m sorta hoping McCain picks Lieberman - two old whiny guys - perfect!

Scotty, Yaz had triple by-pass surgery tonight at Mass General. He couldn’t be in a much better hospital so assume he’ll be okay. Three more days until our four day vacation, yay.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | August 19, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Huh? Oh.

Posted by: Jumper | August 19, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

RD, Jack Bruce apologized for his "alleged" sense of humor, at the concert at Wolftrap, after some of his attempts at jokes didn't go over. Mostly it was because it was hard to hear him over the applause after he played, and because of his accent. Jackie, we canna understand you!

Good thing Joel has a good sense of humor, eh? Who'd a thunk it?

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 19, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

G'night all? But it's still so EARLY!

Here is a little something for your viewing pleasure... Kittens vs a Coca-Cola Box...

Posted by: TBG | August 19, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

That's great news, Sneaks, about Rachel Maddow. I love her too.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 19, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hi, TBG! Usually on your late nights, I'm too tired to Boodle, but I'll try to be out here. Wanna see a Woody Allen interview from the PI? I could pseudo link to it...

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 19, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Er... it's not Wilbrosteen...

Posted by: 'Brodog Springspeen | August 19, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

That's ok, I'll just keep babbling to myself. This is a story I really liked about Shawn Johnson, winning and losing:
She and Nastia Liukin have handled themselves so well.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 19, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Hi mostlylurking. Pseudolink away. The PI makes me all homesick.

BTW - does anyone know if this lack of hyperlinks is a permanent change in policy?

Also, Joel, given that we have a presidential "line of succession" I guess I can see the argument for the phrase "forced to succeed to the presidency," but somehow the term "forced to assume the presidency" sounds better. At least to me.

Just don't ask me why.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm very sorry, Aloha, but I find the phrase "pulling a Cheney" deeply disturbing.

I'd like to endorse Maggie's most excellent "shut up" to Shut Up and add "Bite me" along with Aloha's "pull my Cheney."

Visited the James Michener Art Museum in Doylestown, PA, this afternoon: very nice. We especially enjoyed the Penna. Impresssionists exhibit (Redfield, Garber, Coppedge and Sotter) (q.v.).

Had dinner in Quakertown with four friends from high school, one of whom was the divine MS, about whom I onced posted (and who made my arm fall asleep in the movie "The Sundowners").

Now about to watch the movie "In Bruges."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 19, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

mostlylurking - I really liked that Shawn Johnson article as well. Almost makes me want to stay up late to watch. But I have another early morning tomorrow.

Buona notte.

Y'all.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 19, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

In Bruges is a great great movie.

We watched Lars and the Real Girl over the weekend. Excellent.

Posted by: Yoki | August 19, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, apologies to Mr./Ms. Up, but I have a conundrum for the boodle collection of experts. We got rid of our old refrigerator which was too big for our needs, with the icemaker in the door and all the bells and whistles. We now have a smaller, more Earth-friendly model. HOWEVER, my husband is about 6'3" tall and doesn't like to bend down to reach the vegetable drawers at the bottom of the fridge. He wants to put the refrigerator up on some kind of platform or cabinet to raise it about 8" higher so it will be more convenient for him. The idea of a wood cabinet makes me nervous because the refrigerator is so heavy. I'd love to find a commercial product specifically for this purpose but Google hasn't led me to any. We were thinking maybe something with cinder blocks?

What sayeth the Boodle?

Posted by: kbertocci | August 19, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Here it is, Woody in his own words, from the Seattle PI vi the San Francisco Chronicle:
(After I posted, I thought about how unlikely it was anyone from the PI actually interviewed Woody Allen.) I may have to get a couple of his movies from the library. I'm pretty good at separating artists from their art - do it all the time with rock and roll.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 19, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

kbert... would a laundry pedestal work? Some even have drawers.

That's why we have a side-by-side fridge. We're all tall in my house and I found with a "regular" refrigerator I couldn't see anything that wasn't on the top shelf.

Posted by: TBG | August 19, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I guess 'steen spirit wouldn've worked either, eh?

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 19, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Last I checked, a refrigator weighs, what, 500 pounds? There is stuff made for similarly heavy objects-- fish tanks, computer hardware, etc.

Check the dimensions of your refrigator, but this dunnage rack is close to the height and strength you want (it might not be deep enough, should be wide enough. Maybe 2?)

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Been busy today; it's budget season at work and I need to figure out how meet requreiments for technological miracles and pay for a gazillion dollars worth of network and computing infrastructure to do so with a budget barely adequate for pocket lint and ABC gum salvaged from the bottom of high school cafeteria tables.

And make it all *work*.

Fortunately, I'm pretty good at what I do.

But it keeps me too busy to Boodle sometimes. Plus, it was back to school night for my oldest two (*two* in High School. *sigh*)

Anyway, a friend of mine and I were discussing the idea of Biden as Obama's running mate, and was unable to disguise the crinkling of my nose over the phone.

Biden's OK. He's a safe choice though a bit on the verbose side, and there will always be those questions about his intellectual integrity for some folks.
I'm not a fan and I don't find him personally likeable, but as a friend pointed out to me, he's been vetted through all the Right people, he's experienced and he's mature.

And my friend is right, but I'm still not comfortable with him myself.

Eh, more later.
Maybe.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 19, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

KB,
I also thought of a laundry pedestal, but I don't know if they are deep enough.

Do you know the weight of the refrigerator? Maybe you can find a smallish, heavy solid wood table that would work. I'd look in used furniture stores. Or a smallish butcher block designed as a work station may also work.

(This is on topic, isn't it?

Posted by: Maggie O'D | August 19, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Good evening all! I liked the boodle's offhand way of letting Mr/Ms. Shut up know what's WHAT! Particularly cassandra and greenwithenvy's pushback.

I got In Bruges today so I'm really looking forward to it after Yoki's mini review. I loved Lars and the Real Girl, so I'm thinking we may be simpatico.

As far as Woody Allen goe,s I cannot tell you how many times I have read reviews and heard comments about his movies that made me think that I was really going to like *name the movie*. Each and every time I walked out of the theater distinctly underwhelmed. I've always thought that it must be a failing in me, but I see now that I am not alone. I really haven't seen any of his most recent movies, but I'm not going there.

Just back from taking my son to visit GMU. I was pleasantly surprised. I had gone to some forum there years ago and knew several people who had attended but didn't have a really favorable impression of it, which may have been unfair. We are operating under the "more is better" assumption about visiting colleges in this era of exceedingly difficult admission criteria, so we've been making the rounds at a lot of VA colleges (I think his father creeps into his room in the middle of the night and whispers, "State school, state school" over and over again!) and a fair amount of out of state, as well. I still wouldn't say it's on his list but it was obvious that there has been a BUNCH of money put into the school and we left with a positive impression. We'll see!

TBG - don't work too hard. Oh, and guess what? Obama is coming to Chesapeake, VA on Thursday...My son and I are planning on attending (if I don't have to wait in a long line-the older I get, the less line waiting I do).

eidrib - best wishes. Keep us up to date with the convention scoop!

Posted by: Kim | August 19, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

A movie about lace (dentelle de Bruges)? Our knitters would appreciate.

Biden has presidential hair, tan and teeth. He'll do a fine veep candidate.

I forgot to mention in the dirt kit that I stayed 3 weeks at the edge of one of those bogs where peat moss is collected. I was working at a shipyard and found that cabin for rent that was in the back of a farmer's property. The cabin was 50ft. from the bog. Dusty place it was. In the summer, the top layer is lightly plowed then dries-out naturally. The dried sphagnum is then collected with giant vacuum cleaners mounted on tractors. The stuff is then screened and vacuumed packed in giant plastic bags.
Everything around the bog and the plant gets covered in red dust. It was an independant bog, not a Fafard one though. When I was a kid (say between 1968-76) the peat was cut in blocks and dried in piles set-up like menhirs in the bogs. It was quite strange looking.

Can't miss it, it's the red patch in the middle of the island.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 19, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

so, I just did mostly's silent "oh noooo!" as I posted and saw -

goe,s...

Posted by: Kim | August 19, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

ooooh! Went to check my yahoo mail and saw this on their home page...now I know why RD's son is enamored!

Posted by: Kim | August 19, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

fèi, fèi, DNA girl!

The ideograms for cat decompose to either "Meow-wyrm" or "meow-dog."

This one is meow-wyrm (clawed beast).

Heh heh.

Posted by: Wilbrodog | August 19, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Those intertubes are amazing. I found pictures of the peat menhirs.

I saw the cat catch a vole earlier tonight. The perfect 6 lbs predator. Stalk, ambush, rise on back legs only for better view and earing (with ears pulled fully forward) then pounce on four legs for the kill. Bad thing: 5 minutes later she was still toying with the much diminished rodent. The cat is 10 years old and mousing is her life.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 19, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Son of G just sent me this.. note the choice word in the final sentence in the tenth paragraph of this article; the paragraph that begins with "His top contenders are said to include..."

Posted by: TBG | August 19, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi Kim...will do. Can't wait really...so exciting! But I hope Obama doesn't pick Biden (on kit, BTW, Shut Up...geesh)

TBG...well,the international headquarters are in San Diego. I would mostly work from my home office when not traveling. Yep, lots of flying...but as you might know, I like flying and creatures that fly. :-) Took a prop plane down the coast from LA to San Diego--loved it.

But...the plot thickens...my C level boss, I think, may be developing a position that might be hard to refuse, except for the $. Oh, to be so wanted.

OK, nuff of my soap opera. Shut Up, will ya!

Posted by: eidrib | August 19, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Do you know how long it takes to back boodle a day+ of comments when you have to cut and paste every link? I've forgotten what I wanted to say.

Biden doesn't bother me, but doesn't thrill me either. I'm really more interested in McCain's pick-not so much for what it says about him, but about the future of the rep party. Will it be a forward looking choice, or just another old white guy who punched all the typical tickets?

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams. Welcome Shut Up. We can usually be drawn on topic by a witty or wise comment. Why don't you give it a try?

I'm wondering if a refrigerator up on blocks would be more energy efficient than one flat on the floor. Will think about that as I drool off...but not before wishing eidrib well on the job.

Kim-Frostniece considered GMU but after a visit decided it was way too suburban (she spent 5 years of her life in Fairfax County, what did she expect?). Anyway, she just started at VCU this week. Too early to tell if it really is the greatest fit, but she thinks so thus far.

Posted by: frostbitten | August 19, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Kim, GMU is nice, it's still very much a commuter school.

It attracts a different crowd of folks, a lot of first-generation Americans, more mature students.

The computer science and engineering school appears to be excellent to me, and it has a nice nursing and law program. The food is definitely decent, I like the foodcourt there for commuter students.

Most importantly, it is part of the DC consortium, which means he could take courses at U of MD, George Washington University, and other colleges at GMU tuition rates. (Must be course unavailable at GMU or other reason for approval).

I sometimes wish I had thought to start at GMU; it'd have been cheaper and I still could have attended Gallaudet through the consortium. But back then, I think it was still growing into its own as an university.

I enjoyed the coursework at GMU, and found the classmates to be quite nice. I felt challenged to develop my computer-savvy and other technical skills. I was required to learn EXCEL for an biology lab.

I would definitely say that GMU gives a lot of opportunities for non-traditional college paths; a relative graduated from GMU after transferring from a small-town college to take advantage of an full-time internship lasting 2 years in law.

She was able to fit her part-timeclasses around her work schedule, which is not as easy to do at smaller colleges.

But then, cultural fits vary; some students just need that small college boost.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, frostbitten.

Wilbrod and Kim, my nephew lives in Burke, VA and went to GMU his first 2 years. Even lived in the dorms. But he wanted more of a traditional campus environment and was accpeted as a transer student at VA Tech. Good for him, say I.

Posted by: eidrib | August 19, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Frostbitten, I'm not crazy about Biden. Just not.

Here's my completely uninformed political analysis:

"Obama-Sebelius" has one glaring problem: it's too suspectible to mispronunciation, especially by comedians.

Obama-Bayh begs a Irish-sounding campaign song to the tune of "Galway Bay."

Cough cough... first draft:

'Tis far away I am today from scenes I roamed a boy,
And long ago the hour I know I first saw Illinois;
But time nor tide nor waters wide can wean my vote away,
For ever true it flies to you, my dear Obama- Bayh.
My chosen bride is by my side, her brown hair silver-grey,
Her daughter Rose as like her grows as April dawn today.
Our only boy, his mother's joy, his father's pride and stay;
With gifts like these I'd live with President Obama-Bayh.
O ! grey and bleak, by shore and creek, the rugged rocks abound,
But sweet and green the grass between, our American ground,
So friendship fond, all wealth beyond, and love that lives alway,
Bless each poor home in America, to vote Obama-Bayh.
Had I youth's blood and hopeful mood and heart of fire once more,
For all the gold the world might hold I'd never quit your shore,
I'd live content whate'er God sent with neighbours old and gray,
And lay my ballot in school halls, all for Obama-Bayh. .
The blessing of a poor old man be with them night and day,
The blessing of a lonely man whose heart will soon be clay;
'Tis all the Heaven I'll ask of God upon my dying day,
My soul to hope for ever more to vote Obama-Bayh.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Wilbrod, we definitely got the impression that there was a lot of opportunity for those who require or desire non-traditional college paths, that was quite evident. But I do think a lot of the BUNCH of money that's been spent there is reflected in the dorms as well as fine tuning opportunities for integration into college life. The upper classmen dorms that have opened up and are scheduled to open fall of 2009 are delightful, the numbers of dorm rooms have gone way up and it seemed to me that the administration has taken very specific and successful steps to move away from the commuter school rep that GMU
has had for some time.

And yes, I liked the food court! That is always a very important consideration for me....I had a lamb gyro that would compare well to may favorite Greek place here.

frosti - It was definitely a suburban vibe...but VA Tech is first on my son's list right now...I don't know what we could label that vibe!

Posted by: Kim | August 19, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

And LL: I am glad to hear that your husband's doing OK.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 19, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Not that I endorse picking a veep by the sound of the name alone...

But, we all remember what happened to Tippencanoe and Tyler, too!

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 19, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Willbrod,
your Obama Bayh reminds me of that Homecoming Queen, Kerry Edwards.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | August 19, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of doggie ideograms (that was the topic, wasn't it? or was it dodgy ideologues? eh, whatever), I remembered this from when the canine genome was sequenced:

BTW, anyone who liked playing with spirographs will love that site.

It made the cover of American Scientist for this article:

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 19, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow. "In Bruges" was one strange movie. Very good...but...strange (and funny in places). Not exactly a Disney flick, tho', if ya know what I mean.

Re: Biden: I am dead certain Biden will NOT be the VP pick, for three reasons: (1) it makes no sense whatsoever; (2) he will be the next Sec. of State, which is his strength and where he belongs; being veep simply shunts him aside (which is pointless) or else makes him a Cheney, having Obama's foreign policy being run out of the veep's office, and I think we've seen how well THAT tends to turn out; and (3) Biden brings nothing to the ticket as veep candidate, so why do it?

(And I've always liked Biden. Just not as veep.)

It is also possible that the Obama camp is using the Biden buzz (with Biden's permission) as smoke, keep everyone looking at the left hand while the right hand does whatever it's going to do.

I have a feeling it'll be Richardson: easily the most experienced and all-around most qualified in terms of Washington experience. And he's a "two-fer."

Karen, when we renovated our kitchen, my wife insisted we raise up the dishwasher 18 inches off the floor, for easier loading and unloading. Smartest thinbg that woman ever did (possible exception: marrying me). So yes, do whatever it takes to raise that refrigerator. Cinderblocks, wood platform, pre-manufactured washer base, whatever works. I don't see any reason you can't have a wood base built with a drawer and drawer front on it (it's what I did under the dishwasher).

'Night, Boodle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 19, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

kbertocci, if it were me trying to raise a refrigerator, I would go with the cinderblocks. Downside: little adjustability on the height, so it might be limited by whatever is over the fridge's intended location. I would put a plywood panel atop four cinderblocks, and drill out some drainage holes in case the device decides to spill some of its precious essences (i.e., condensation water from the self-cleaning cycle, if it has one). I would worry about the fridge accidentally rolling off the platform, so I would add a plywood skirt around the base -- should be good enough if you just put deck screws through the plywood face of the front panel of the skirt, into the edge of the load-bearing panel and the front edges of the side skirts. A rear skirt will help keep from accidentally shoving the fridge off the back of the support, where you can't see the placement of the wheels. The skirt should rise a little above the top edge of the load-bearing panel (just a little would work, maybe a half inch) and the bottom edge should float above the floor -- the cinderblocks will carry the weight, while the skirt is just for prettification, and a gap will let any spilled fluids run out instead of collecting and moldering. If necessary, you could pull out the screws and remove the skirt to clean under the support.

Or, you could build a decent piece of cabinetry. But this should be sufficient. I SERIOUSLY doubt that any commercially available table will be sturdy enough to support anything bigger than a mini-fridge for the typical multiple years that a refrigerator will be in place. You probably should put some neoprene pads between the cinderblocks and the floor surface, so they don't bite into the floor too deeply. They will be pressing down with a couple hundred pounds apiece for most of the next decade.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 20, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Of course, the last time that I tried to raise a refrigerator was 20 years ago, it was a 20-30 year old fridge, and I did it myself using a hand truck and some rope. Man, that hurt. But it looked great when I tipped it off the end of my pick-up and over the wall into the giant dumpster at the landfill.

Note that I understand this is not the approved way to dispose of chlorofluorocarbon working fluids. Back then, I was callow and stupid (I was only a grad student) and didn't have any better idea.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 20, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm not crazy about Biden either, but if that is the ticket,then that's the ticket.

How about innertube rolling or Bloody Mary Kayaking as Olympic sports?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 20, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

That's pretty, but I think it'd be better on a 3-D spherical axis rather than a flat circle... rather difficult to read in that format, since you can't even see what the start points are supposed to represent.

I wonder if anybody's studying the genetics behind skull and/or brain size in dogs? I know that retinal patterns in short-nosed dogs are different from long-nosed dogs and wolves. I've always wondered just what role genetics vs skull growth plays.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 20, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I have a great idea for an Olympic sport. How about a sport in which you slide a rock across a hockey rink and try to achieve some specific range by such stratagems as scrubbing at the ice with a broom to decrease the friction. There would have to be some kind of multiplier for scoring points based on blood alcohol fraction. The drunker you are, the more your points count. I call it "An Excuse to Drink Beer". Some issies might prefer for the hockey players to be out of the way at the time, but I feel it adds to the excitement of the moment if the ice is used for two sports at once. Also, it shortens the Olympics.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 20, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

"issies"? I believe that should be "sissies."

Posted by: PlainTim | August 20, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I like Richardson (and my mom could just possibly vote for an Obama-Richardson ticket), but I don't think Richardson was sent to fat camp/plastic surgery so he'd look a bit more like Harrison Ford.

Mom is terribly concerned that Obama is pushing a narrow "black agenda" at the expense of the rest of the country.
_______________________________

I live in a county where non-Hispanic whites seem to think McCain is he most heroic candidate since US Grant. Based on that sort of attitude, McCain might have won the election this week by promising a new Cold War and by his bouncy performance at Saddleback. A book by D. Michael Lindsay "Faith in the Halls of Power: How Evangelicals Joined the American Elite" (New York: Oxford University Press, 2007) evidently concludes that the evangelicals he interviewed don't like theology and mostly can't explain their faith. In that context, McCain with Rick Warren might have been a boffo performance, while Obama's nuances may have come across as efforts to soften the sharp-edged differences between right and wrong.

[So many interesting books like Lindsay's to read. So little time or attention].

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 20, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the salve this country needs is Obama-Kaine!

Or would that be an unguent?

Posted by: TBG | August 20, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Now your talkin tbg, I was wishing for that ticket.

I have always enjoyed watching a ball roll down a big hill, or throwing a frisbee off a cliff and watching it fly all the way down to the bottom. I guess the real sport would be trying to find either after they are launched.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 20, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

hey, tbg, still working?

i think richardson would be a perfectly fine veep as well. it's a good idea for obama to go with a foreign policy heavyweight even if that means picking someone who would theoretically be more useful in a cabinet position. win the d@mn election first i say. joel is right about the others not having the same gravitas. (i love that word.)

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 20, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I missed the science quiz. I just have one correction to Tim's solar calcs. DC to AC conversion is 90-95% efficient, not 50%. It's done all the time. They have those rectifiers down cold.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 20, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Still here... coming down to the wire, though. Almost ready to put the newsletter to bed... me too (more than ready for me).

Posted by: TBG | August 20, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Hi, TBG.

Shut Up, welcome. Going off topic isn’t so bad. I second frostbitten. Try it and tell us something about yourself.

Jumper, your 7:10pm is spot on. We long ago were being controlled by large corporations, by the elites who attended the Bilderberg Conferences and Davos Forums.

Posted by: rainforest | August 20, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

I kinda skimmed through the Woody Allen parts, but forgive me if this has been linked to already: Ten Woody Allen Sex Scenes Better Than the Ones in ‘Vicky Cristina Barcelona’

Complete with video montage. You decide if its safe for work.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 20, 2008 2:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm reading "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" and while the writing is rather overwrought, the basic premise is pretty hard to refute.

I've given my conspiracy theory before. We invaded Iraq solely to secure an oil source for when not if Saudi Arabia falls to fundamentalists.

That and the Oedipal avenging daddy complex thing.

Hasn't quite turned out to be the cakewalk it was supposed to be.

Our test runs in Grenada and Panama didn't really prepare us for a real enemy.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 20, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

in my midnight ramblings yesterday, i made a bad pun on the concept of eurasia. please note that i wasn't dissing europe or asia, but rather the russian nationalist/exceptionalist political philosophy of eurasianism, which is very relevant for russia's current m.o.

(you could also google and read the wiki eurasianism and neo-eurasianism articles.)

good night, boodle.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 20, 2008 2:29 AM | Report abuse

yello,
i almost posted this earlier when cassandra was talking about iraq and oil (although i'm not sure it's captioned). maybe there's a better textual source or a transcript of alan greenspan's advice on taking out saddam hussein.

anyway, this was the advice given to the current administration.

ok, really going to bed now.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 20, 2008 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. I'm still sleepy, but don't have the option of going back to bed. It is Wednesday, the busy day, and I love it.

I have sandwiches to make, and the watermelon is in the refrigerator. I'm going to try some fruit instead of cake. We "oldies" don't need all that sugar.

Come on Slyness, Mudge, Martooni, Scotty, it is that time. Morning to all.*waving*

I wonder if the no.2 pick will be a surprise. I don't have any idea about the qualifications of these folks or if so and so is a good choice. I'll leave that to the folks that do that stuff. It seems we have been in this process forever.

Have a "good" day, folks. Kbert, hope you get the fridge the way you want it.

I know that when men go to war, somebody gets something. The Old Testament accurately describes this, that's the whole point, taking what someone else has. One doesn't ask for it, one takes it. Now if that premise alone isn't enough to make one cry, the thing that's being taken should finish it up. With that in mind, how does one comfort a parent that has lost a child in this (Iraq)conflict? Some things are just too hard for me.

The weather here is quite warm. We have lots of clouds moving in, although I think the rain may go around us.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cassandra s | August 20, 2008 5:19 AM | Report abuse

Sneaks, first thing I did this morning was check on Yaz's conditions... WHEW!

I was very glad to see in the Globe coverage that, apart from the chest pains, he's been doing quite well. I hope we can all enjoy his presence for years to come.

Joel, a VP who must replace a President for any reason kinda IS "forced to succeed," hm?

*off-to-the-train-onna-Hump-Day Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 20, 2008 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning, you all.

Joel, the Veep nomination is a puzzle to me, I would have liked to see James Webb in that slot, but am glad he is in the US Senate for Virginia.

I'm a boodle and a half behind, will catch up later; off to PT for pinched nerve in neck & shoulder. It's better, will finish up PT the middle of September.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 20, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all. Another day to sleep in for an extra 20 minutes. I don't know what the matter is, except that Mr. T is traveling so I don't have him to wake me up. He comes home tomorrow.

Who was it who suggested last night that Carolina Kennedy would be a good VP? Even though she has no experience as an elected official, I could be happy with that ticket.

Regardless, I'm going to vote for Obama and whoever he picks.

Posted by: slyness | August 20, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

VintageLady;

Good to hear you'll be finished with PT before the MegaBPH! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 20, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned fake monsters?

*rolling my eyes* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 20, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Good morning , Boodlers.

I need a propeller on the tail end of my Boodle Flyer MK-2 to back-boodle faster.

Posted by: Brag | August 20, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you, Wilbrod, TBG, Mudge and *Tim for the helpful suggestions. Keep 'em coming, all possibilities will be duly pondered. Wilbrod, I was going to say I learned a new word but honestly I still can't say I understand what "dunnage" is well enough to use it in a sentence. I never encountered that word before, that I know of. Those "dunnage racks" are great if I could find one the right size.

I thought Lieberman had gone away, but he keeps popping up. Last week in my Sunday School class the conversation veered over to politics and one person courageously gave her view of the Presidential race. She said she didn't like either major party candidate and wished to encourage everybody to "write in someone else" -- her pick: Lieberman. God help us.

Posted by: kbertocci | August 20, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Princess Giselle

Posted by: omni | August 20, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I am enough of a - don't know what the word is here, maybe "guy?" - that I'd design and build a metal platform for a fridge if I thought I needed one, with adjustment for the legs, a big drip pan, and plenty of ventilation (fridges move a lot of air, IIRC).

Don't ask about the aluminum ramps I made to get the John Deere in and out of my old shed. Even machined the ramp surfaces so that there would be some drainage and extra traction when the tires were wet, and fabricated lips on the sides...

Why spend the extra $$ for aluminum, you ask? So that the kids could lift the ramps and therefore mow the lawn, that's why.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 20, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Just for you Brag:

When the final list of real reasons we invaded Iraq is definitively written, stopping terrorism will not make the top five.

Here are other contenders that are individually or in combination more plausible.

Gain control of Iraqi oil for US interests and obtain distribution and infrastructure contracts currently going to Russian and European interests that were bypassing the embargo.

Avenge various attempts on 41's life.

Personal desire to show-up 41 by succeeding at a geopolitical goal that 41 did not achieve.

Protect Israel from a country that has not negotiated a separate peace with it.

Encircle and isolate Russia from a warm water port.

Arguments can be made for any of these that are a lot stronger than the red herring that Saddam was a state sponsor of terrorism.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 20, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

My two cents: It all depends on what the definition of Vice President is...or was, until Cheney and Junior were voted into office...or should be.

If Obama wants to win Virginia, he should pick Kaine. But I don't know how much appeal Kaine will have to voters beyond (west of) the Appalachians. The campaign will have to expend some energy acquainting voters with Kaine.

If Obama wants to win Indiana, he should pick Bayh. Bayh was our senator for the two years we lived in Indiana and there's just one adjective that sticks to him, or caricatures him, in my mind: bland. Bayh certainly won't outshine Obama and will let Obama keep the spotlight.

Would Biden make a better Vice President or SecState? Biden has the blue-collar roots but represents a teensy-eensy state, Delaware. But Biden's been around a long time and has far better name recognition. Depends if Obama wants to shore up his very weak foreign policy credentials. The problem I see is that a Biden pick is like a Cheney pick: a more knowledgeable, experienced hand to shore up another Junior.

Perhaps it's all a Rorschach inkblot test for Obama, this pick--a reflection of how Obama wants to define himself to the electorate, or what he wants to emphasize, or a weakness he wants to overcome.

Just don't see an Obama-Richardson ticket in the works--if Obama is counting on independents. Also, does Obama want to pick someone formerly affiliated with the Clinton administration?

Posted by: Loomis | August 20, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Kber, Mr. T's favorite aunt declared to us that she's not going to vote in the presidential election because she doesn't like either candidate. Hookay, whatever you decide, Auntie. This is from a person who grew up in a staunchly Republican family.

Until the Lord comes again and provides us a clear choice for good, we have to make do with flawed human beings. I can deal with that myself. But our experience suggests that even if God were on the ballot, there would be many who would find fault with His platform.

Posted by: slyness | August 20, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Ruth Marcus, in the last graf in her column today, mentions that Lilly Ledbetter will be speaking at the Dem convention in Denver. Now THAT will be interesting--and quite a ploy on Obama's part to win over to his side that older female demographic.

Posted by: Loomis | August 20, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Loomis,good to hear your husband will be ok.

I figured you guys would like 'In Bruges' which is most definitely not about lace. It is an odd little movie, but far more suited to Colin Farrel's talent than grand epics.

If Obama picks Biden, it signals a return to the colourless Veep. My kind of politician.

Posted by: dr | August 20, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I think recent polls show Obama trailing 55 to 35% to McCain within the white male demographics. He's making the Ledbetter offensive to win over an other category he which he is a bit weak, the older white women.
I bet his Veep nomination will be well regarded by these older white males.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 20, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I'll post some neat links before I finish backboodling. First is a site focusing on polls related to the Electoral race. I have no idea of the veracity of the site or its polls, but this layout is how I want any such site to function!

And Reich's blogpost about the ethics and philosophy of going negative:

Posted by: Jumper | August 20, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Morning all
Another fine day here in west by god, I am off to check out some future drop in points for my kayak,maybe pick up some wormies too.

Out of the mouth of babes, I overheard some kids at the hotel last night say something that made me laugh. one kid said"your mama is Obama",and the other kid said "then my mama is going to be the next president"

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 20, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

There goes my vote for Obama. I lived in Delaware once, and Biden is the biggest wind bag on the planet. I cant vote for anything that would give that oxygen sucker more of a platform to drone on from.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

We have another WR at the Olympics, in track & field this time...

I left out the details for those waiting for prime-time coverage tonight. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 20, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

WR?

Weight Reduction?
Wrong Racer?
Wooly 'Roo?

Posted by: yellojkt | August 20, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

World Record!

Posted by: omni | August 20, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Weird Reality, even...

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 20, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I am not familiar enough with Biden, although he's been around forever. Perhaps it is because I know I can rely on him to be Biden. For whatever that's worth. My question about picking a former executive such as Governor Richardson for governing experience and advice rests on whether Obama can build that sort of relationship with his pick. It's up to him; up to them. Sympatico counts. To remove a party member from the Senate and replace him at best with another Democrat but with low seniority is to me a bit risky.

I'm not a member of the Democratic party. I cannot bring myself to join either. But to see my country being destroyed by the level of crookedness and incompetence and wrongheadedness, the out-and-out refusal to govern at all, much less by the rule of law; and I look at the Democrats and see "merely competent" people such as Biden, I have no fears of ramifications beyond the usual for voting for Dems in a big way. Even if Obama were to screw up his Cabinet and other appointments badly, he could not do worse than improving my government fivefold at minimum.

My latest fringe theory is that the coming election will be decided by the occasional voters. Those who have voted, but sometimes do not. I suspect a relative, who is leaning against Obama, might at the last minute decide to just have an early glass of wine that day and not vote. Or maybe not.

I too have been thinking of lifting my refrigerator, and figured some wheels would be the thing also as long as I'm thinking of it. I got good ideas from googling-imaging steel frame dolly. I think 2½" x 2½" wood frame joined by simple lap joints, and strong wheels attached. I have noticed that good wheels aren't cheap. But the project is the lowest cost way, I think, to do it.

Posted by: Jumper | August 20, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Hi, all. Just wanted to point out that CNBC (a staunchly wingnut organization) is reporting that Biden denies he is the VP pick, and that there is much talk that Lieberman will be the choice. They say the DNC confirms only that Lieberman will speak at the convention.

How weird is that? Choosing Lieberman would be instantaneous suicide for Obama, I think.

Posted by: Wheezy | August 20, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Oops - I misheard. Went to look for links and it's McCain who might choose Lieberman:

Pheeww! OK, then.

Posted by: Wheezy | August 20, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Looks like a new kit is up!

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 20, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse