Biden: The unCheney

No doubt many have already made this point: Joe Biden is the unCheney.

There are not two more different characters - stylistically -- in American politics. Biden is voluble, passionate, self-aggrandizing, funny. Cheney is calculating, secretive, cold. Biden likes the spotlight; Cheney likes his cave. Biden as a senator has relied on language (rhetoric, if you will) as a tool for crafting legislation, holding hearings and advancing diplomacy; Cheney's career has been that of an uber-staffer who knows how to find and operate the hidden levers and switches of government power.

Typical Biden day: Announces that he is introducing a resolution that will be considered by his committee and, when passed, sent to the Senate for a vote that, though non-binding, will send a clear message to the White House that the Senate is not amused by the latest shenanigan.

Typical Cheney day: Quietly orders extermination of last spotted owl.

Biden: Delivers 47-minute speech on the need for tripartite discussions with Germany and France over the need for a full NATO summit on the proper response to the Russian invasion of Georgia.

Cheney: Prioritizes potential bombing targets in Moscow.

So you see, it's just two different approaches to getting things done.

Moreover, the much-heralded virtues of Biden - the way he brings experience and foreign policy gravitas to the ticket - have been devalued in American politics in the past 8 years. Few people in government have more experience and gravitas than Cheney. And you see where that got us.

Famous blogger (and Princeton '82er) Virginia Postrel has a new blog called Deep Glamour -- check it out.

Alex Beam on the dangers of summer (via Romenesko).

The Times on the natural gas boom: Next big question is, what's the environmental impact of a process that uses millions of gallons of water to fracture the rock? Where does the water come from? Where does it go? [You know what Deep Throat said: Follow the water.]

From the Root, a review of the new Katrina documentary Trouble the Waters: "They are people who must, each day, grasp, as the old prayer implores, the wisdom to know the difference between things they can change and things they cannot--because survival in walled-off, starved-out black neighborhoods has always meant focusing on the former, so you don't drown in the latter."

Per Howie's column today, seems like 15,000 reporters in Denver might be a tad excessive. But I liked this dispatch from Eli Saslow on Obama's famous speech in 2004.

[Should be high drama tonight if/when Teddy makes an appearance. Also keep an eye out in the next 48 hours for the term "Clinton psychodrama."} [Today's top story on Memeorandum: Tensions boiling betwixt Obama/Clinton camps.] [Here's something I didn't know: Ace reporters now take notes on Blackberries rather than notebooks (says Mike Allen).]

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 25, 2008; 7:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arugula Madness
Next: 'A Bridge to the 20th Century'

Comments

Gravitas, man. It's all about the gravitas. Plus, the many, many electoral college votes that Biden surely brings from Delaware.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 25, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Good morning!

I would like to add megalomaniac to the terms used to describe Cheney. A very scary man.

Posted by: Kim | August 25, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Cheney: Devotee of undisclosed locations.

Biden: Will only visit undisclosed locations under protest when Obama needs a quiet moment.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 25, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Da Boss's airmanship and marksmanship right on target this morning. Biden won't make any difference. The American majority is not aware that an outside world exists. There are a few who easily get hot and red around their neck and want to kick butt when the key words democracy and freedom are mentioned.

Posted by: Brag | August 25, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Morning everyone! I think that although the choice of Biden as VP might not influence the polls much (Or the Germans! Haha ha ha...) it does have a subtle though profound influence on the electorate. 'cause, you know, I think they look good together. It's sort of a Ying and Yang thing.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 25, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

but....cheney has changed the office of V.P. so much that you have to wonder how all future V.P.'s will use this influence.

Posted by: nall92 | August 25, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

And Happy Birthday to lalurker, gwe, and ftb.

Joel something you're suggesting here - intentionally or not - is the idea that Biden is a man of words, and Cheney a man of actions.

To your point, the DNC and the Obama/Biden campaign have a decision to make: Will they try to make Cheney's actions as VP an issue in the upcoming campaign, perhaps to the point of villification? My sense is that they'll let Biden try it out in September and see if it gets traction.

Best to to see if they'll be able to withstand attacks from the Winkies and Flying Monkeys before they try that particular path to the White House.

I doubt it will take long after the convenions that the Dems see "Surrender Obama" in the skies, and Barrack realizes he's not in Kansas anymore.

bc

PS "Ignore that Rove behind the curtain!"

Posted by: bc | August 25, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey, love that Deep Glamour thing. Seems as if some of them '82 Princeton types are pretty sharp characters.

Since I am not exactly a glamour maven (although I have been led to believe that pleated pants are frowned upon in certain circles) that blog helps to open up my perceptions a bit. You know, expand my horizons and all that. Which is always good.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 25, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

RD, nothing says "1980's" like pleated pants and Hawiian shirts.

Nothing wrong with going with what you know, though. Everyone needs a Personal Comfort Zone.

Hey, if you feel like doing some Manly Clothes shopping at lunchtime one of these days, let me know. The MCS experience is 20 minutes of quality 'stalk, hunt, and kill' shopping and 40 minutes of eating and imbibing beverages.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 25, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"...the endless pursuit of unnecessary things." - Adam Smith, 1829

Deep Glamour, a $1500 toy bear with bling.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

bc - I tried shopping for my own clothes once. My wife forbade me from ever doing so again. But I like the imbibing bit.

I enjoyed that new link about the Dangers of Summer. Reminds me of all the other simple pleasures in life that are know considered Hazardous. Innocent, bucolic activities such as riding a bicycle without a helmet, eating raw cookie dough, and dabbling in highly exothermic chemical reactions.

You know, kid stuff.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 25, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

As pundits have already dissected...the hope is that Biden will bring white, middle-class Catholics to the ticket (you know, former Hillary supporters).

Caught myself switching between Bill Maher on Larry King last night and the closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics last night. Interesting to hear Maher label Biden one of three "boring White guys" that comprised Obama's pool of potential running mates.

As Wiki points out:

"The informal roles and functions of the Vice President depend on the specific relationship between the President and the Vice President, but often include drafter and spokesperson for the administration's policy, as an adviser to the president, ..., and as a symbol of American concern or support. Their influence in this role depends almost entirely on the characteristics of the particular administration.

Joel describes the Vice President's role as two different approaches to getting things done, but methinks much depends on the person who is President.

Will be busy today preparing the Passover meal for tomorrow.

Posted by: Loomis | August 25, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

can anyone find the transcript of Biden's anti war/bush talk at the national press club from a few years ago?

it was so well delivered, written, and thought out

Posted by: Norm | August 25, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I would fax you some bitter herbs, Loomis, but I sense you are already well supplied.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 25, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

*but faxing Loomis some Pepto-Bismol, a little seltzer and some chicken soup it couldn't hurt*

*will fax you more of same on election day, when you are forced to vote for Obama and Biden whether you like it or not*

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 25, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Passover? Pesach? We're barely a month from Rosh Hashanah. Am I missing something?

Posted by: PlainTim | August 25, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

RD, I realize you're not ready to solo yet. The reason I suggested meeting you at lunchtime was so that you would not be shopping for your clothes by yourself.

Unless you're experienced, don't hunt alone, don't swim alone, and don't shop for clothes alone.

And as tempting as it is, the order of the day is: Shop, *then* imbibe. Doing it the other way around can lead to problems later.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 25, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Mudge.

Internet difficulties here. Time Warner. It's getting bad.

Posted by: Jumper | August 25, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Here's something for those wimmin who are still bummed out (kind choice of words) about Hillary's losing the nomination to Obama: Biden was the one who drafted the Violence Against Women Act, and he has been in the forefront for reducing (let us all hope eventually to zero) domestic violence against women! He has true and very strong feminist creds here!

I'm not unhappy at all with the choice.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Cheney's eventual demise were to be a heart attack? The only known case of a heart attack absent a heart. Would go down in the annals of medical history, although, considering that it's Cheney, it would have to be a n a l s of medical history, eh?

Off to the races . . . .

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 25, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Tim, this is Loomis's rather subtle (and actually I thought pretty creative) way to announce her displeasure with Hillary being "passed over." She previewed it yesterday, and I admit it took me a couple minutes to suss it out, too.

I don't think she's gonna smear lamb's blood on her front door, but you never know what's gonna happen in Texas.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 25, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Now I remember what I wanted to rant in public about. Everybody used to smile condescendingly when I would rage against planned obsolescence in products. When you take into account all the energy usage and waste for this system of manufacturing craola destined to be discarded, the energy savings and resultant national security to be obtained by stopping this madness of disposability become significant. Is it possible to massively reduced global warming by simply building things that will last?

Posted by: Jumper | August 25, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

A heartless Cheney felled by a heart attack brought to mind a quip by Dorothy Parker:

Told that Calvin Coolidge had died, she remarked: "How could they tell?"

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Take heart, Hillaristas. VP is known to be worth a warm bucket of something. Senate is good. Delaware loses seniority, too.

Posted by: Jumper | August 25, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Jumper - I think you hit upon something profound. I just finished reading a book called "Garbage Land" by Elizabeth Royte, and one of the major themes is the hidden costs of the disposable economy.

I hope we don't end up pickin' that whole Hillary scab again. I know many people feel Hillary was unfairly cheated because the Superdelegates refused to chose her, and there is still a lot of anger. But when Clinton herself has asked her supporters to fall in line, and they refuse, it starts to smack a bit of the Ellen Jamesians in Irving's "World According to Garp."

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 25, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Jumper: Who will ever forget George Clinton, William Wheeler, Levi Morton, George Dallas and Richard Johnson?

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Some thoughts from last year re. Cheney's heart:

It would be wrong and imprudent to speculate on the possibility of a Denial of Service (DoS) attack against his heart, though some would suggest that the kernel may already be corrupt.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 25, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Morning all. Do not have an informed enough opinion of Biden to comment, in the past I have always been amused by what I have seen of him.

Off topic saw this story and just shook my head, increased border security understandable - stupidity not so much. Apologies to Scotty if this is what he link to I am way behind on links.

Posted by: dmd | August 25, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Ellen Jamesians! Whew, RD, that's heavy! I also love it.

Posted by: Jumper | August 25, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

The inflexibility of US Immigration officials makes a farce of Ronald Reagan's "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall." Is it any wonder that Europe is laughing at us.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Ohhhhhh, dmd, I am truly embarrassed (and pi$$ed off) by the conduct of US Immigration. Stupid beyond belief. Definitely cringe-worthy.

*sigh*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 25, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Continuing the Garp analogies, US Immigration was apparently in fear of the undertoad of the Niagra.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Jumper - remember I just said "a bit." The Ellen Jamesians were nasty self-mutilating extremists, many Hillary supporters who refuse to support Obama are rational individuals who are simply really, really, ticked off.

But the analogy does provide, I think, an interesting insight. In addition to refusing the honor the requests of their champion, those Hillary supporters who refuse to endorse Obama are figuratively removing their own tongues. (As did, literally, the Ellen Jamesians. )

Instead of adding their voices to the debate between Obama and McCain, a debate in which no individual (either here or abroad) can rightly claim they have no stake, such individuals are silencing themselves and their powerful voices as surely as did Irving's characters.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 25, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Joel, I think that NYT article represents the second time in recent history when you can claim a bit of a scoop. I saw their article on Dead Zones well after I had read about them here.

I like your insight on water usage as well. All this relates to the notion of hidden environmental costs.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 25, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

RD... reminds me of the huge blocs of Iraqis who boycotted the vote and then complained they weren't represented in the government.

Posted by: TBG | August 25, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Morning all.. getting ready to head off to the beach with the kids for a few days. Hope to find some WiFi on the boardwalk.

I found this funny blog yesterday called "It's Lovely! I'll Take It! A collection of poorly chosen photos from real estate listings"

Posted by: TBG | August 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Howdy. Moveable Type ate my first post.

Joel, "UnCheney" is great. You highlight the differences, which go beyond approaches to action to include character and more - the clash of Good and the Dark Side. If Cheney is Darth Vader, which Jedi is Biden? Yoda seems too easy. I may ask the Ivansclan, Star Wars mavens extraordinaire.

Ftb, I like heartless Cheney's heart problem. Didn't you recently give us McCain as fairy tale princess? Keep 'em coming.

I agree with RD. Hillary explicitly asked her supporters to accept the results, move on and back Obama, and if they respect her they should do so. This allows their voices (and, by proxy, hers) to be heard. Probably for this reason I completely missed the "passover" references.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

You're just going to have to believe me when I say I'm not frothing at the mouth here, but I'd like to point out, mildly, that Garp may smack some, but there are others of us who just think for ourselves, no matter what anyone else says.

ftb, good point. Biden was probably the best choice of the list, but saying wimmin should be happy because of his feminist creds would be like saying Obama-ites should have been happy if Clinton won because of her minority creds.

Posted by: dbG | August 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know spit about politics, especially compared to most of the Boodle. That said, let me hazard a guess into the mind of McCain upon hearing that Biden has been picked, rather than Hillary.

I'm guessing that McCain breathed a very deep sigh of relief. Hillary had a machine running. A voracious, well oiled machine. Yes, it had some critical gears that were stripped. Maybe it was running out of gas, but it was running, nonetheless. Biden's got what, his mouth?

Posted by: Don from I-270 | August 25, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

dbG - that's why I tried to buffer my analogy and put in the caveat that many who choose to back Clinton despite her wishes are rational.

Everyone has the right to make up his or her own mind. To be an iconoclast can be admirable. I just want people to really think through *all* the implications of spittin' in the wind.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 25, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Those guys are lucky dmd. I've heard of mariners being eaten after washing up on uncivilized shores.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 25, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

It was two articles by Maureen Dowd showing that Joe Biden had lifted huge chunks of speeches from Neil Kinnock and Robert Kennedy that sunk his candidacy over twenty years ago. I wonder if there is still some bad blood. Links to the NYT stories and relevant excerpts here:

David Broder waxes nostalgic about that campaign and gives his take on what Biden brings to the ticket today:

What a difference a couple of decades make.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | August 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, RD. I saw your explanatory post after I'd already posted and right before I had to run out for a few minutes. :-) I don't know that I'd say iconoclast, I'd go more with inner-directed (in my case, at least). I expect to retain my yellow-dog Democrat status in early November because while I'm stubborn, I'm not always stupid.

How're the tomatoes going? I have reached overload and will start making sauce today. For breakfast, I had a 3-tomato (Roma, Early Girl, Patio) and fresh basil sandwich with mayo. Looks like I'll get a few more Brandywines today and I have the cutest eggplant in the world coming in.

Posted by: dbG | August 25, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Morning all.
Joel says: "From the standpoint of electoral politics, the Biden choice won't make any difference whatsoever (sorry!). Veep picks rarely do. The bottom of the ticket is for the amusement of Beltway types."
On the contrary: I have prayed for Bush's on-going good health and well-being since he was first selected by the Supreme Court to be our President in 2000. Why? Cheney.
So, you see, who the VEEP candidate is really DOES matter!
Nuff said.

Posted by: Dmon | August 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Not only that, but if the Repubs want to wax eloquently about Biden's plagiarisms from 20 years ago, then the Dems ought to do much the same about McCain's fraudulent activities as one of the Keating 5 in the Savings & Loan debacle approximately during the same time period. You open the door, and you can't keep 'em from walking in. Be careful what you wish for. . . .

And, thanks ever so, Ivansmom for your kind comments. BTW, are you going to be able to come up here for the mega-BPH? Just think, there will be more than one lawyer in the room, and Mudge might have, well, an "incident".

Gotta go back and keep dissecting opposing counsel's (kindly put -- we call him "West Coast Bevis" -- there's already one on the east coast (probably more than one)) opposition brief to our motion for summary judgment. It's very strange, really. We got extensions until 9/25 to reply and basically, um, cut him a new one, as we are wont to say on any given day.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 25, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The other Senator from Delaware. This put a little bit of stuff in perspective for me and I'm glad I read it.

Posted by: Jumper | August 25, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I think the Keating 5 scandal is fair game and don't know why more wasn't made of it in either the primaries or now. What is the statute of limitations on political scandals? It seems like it is one election cycle. If you get re-elected, you can claim vindication.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

RD,
I got the nuance of your Ellen Jamesian Society allusion. The leader or inspiration for some groups doesn't always control what is done in his or her name.

The news last night was going on about a McCain commercial appealing to disgruntled PUMAs. In counterpoint it showed Hillary being all supportive of Barack over the weekend.

And no, I don't think any Hillary supporters are as radical as Irving's fictional radical feminists that cut off their own tongues. FIf they were to cut anything off, it wouldn't be the tongue and it wouldn't be theirs.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 25, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, the Cuisinart pp mutilations! I remember them well! :-)

Posted by: dbG | August 25, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"McCain and Keating had become personal friends following their initial contacts in 1981.[8] Between 1982 and 1987, McCain had received $112,000 in political contributions from Keating and his associates.[14] In addition, McCain's wife Cindy McCain and her father Jim Hensley had invested $359,100 in a Keating shopping center in April 1986, a year before McCain met with the regulators. McCain, his family, and their baby-sitter had made nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard Keating's jet. Three of the trips were made during vacations to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay. McCain did not pay Keating (in the amount of $13,433) for some of the trips until years after they were taken, when he learned that Keating was in trouble over Lincoln." -Wikipedia.

McCain was cited for "poor judgment" by the senate.

On a personal note, I attended a social event at the Charles & Elaine Keating residence in Phoenix, circa 1980, and made my own judgment, saying in an aside to my wife: "I think that man is a crook." Later events proved that first impression.

My first impression of John McCain, at another social event before he ran for any political office, was equally unflattering.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

My take on the logic of the "angry Hillary voters" voting for McCain or not voting at all...

They think if someone steps on your left big toe, shooting yourself in the right foot will make everything all better.

It's all I can do not to grab them by the shoulders and try to shake some sense into them whenever I hear them go on about how Hillary wuz robbed.

I'm also reminded of Jack Nicholson's line in "As Good as It Gets" when asked how he writes women so well: "I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability."

Not that our fairer Boodlers resemble that remark in any way shape or form. {* nervously straightens a doily and wonders if the bunker has a bunker *}

Posted by: martooni | August 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah -- you are absolutely right, Toons. One of my friends resembles that remark, and I'm simply beside myself in trying to convince her that McCain *isn't* an expert in, nor trustworthy on, foreign policy. Let's see, there's Czechoslovakia (which hasn't been a country in how long?) and the difference between Sunnis and Shiites (why don't we just call them all Sushis and be done with it?). Over and over again, no matter how many times Lieberman whispers the right answer in his ear (and Lieberman *still* supports McCain?).

There is now confirmation that the former (and maybe still in some obscure way) "Iron Lady" -- Thatcher -- has dementia. Because of the experience I had with my own mother's Alzheimer's, I know from that experience that you cannot, under any circumstances, win an argument with someone with dementia -- never! You cannot convince them that night is day and day is night (remembering all those middle of the night calls -- hey, she was awake, so I must be, too). If, indeed, McCain is making these same mistakes, over and over again, what does that tell ya????

Sometimes, there's really no accounting for my gender. Yeah, vote for McCain or not at all -- *that'll* teach 'em.

*expletive string*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 25, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I heard some anti-Biden murmuring out at a breakfast club Saturday. The womenfolk were remembering the Clarence Thomas hearings, and were still annoyed at Biden for not insisting and arranging that Angela Wright testify.

Posted by: Jumper | August 25, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Please check out http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,164859_1,00.html.

I don't know why it's not highlighted for direct linking, but just copy & paste.

Very enlightening.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to Phillip Butler, ftb. My first impression of McCain was "obsequious social climber," but that was before he ran for public office. In retrospect, his a$$-kissing and cozying-up to the rich and powerful had disingenuous purpose beyond social climbing. Butler confirms my low regard for McCain.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that article, ftb. I will forward it to my dad the next time he sends me a McCain As Hero e-mail pass-along.

My dad personally knows several former POWs but that doesn't seem to be a necessary or sufficient qualification to be president.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 25, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link ftb.

That piece solidifies the impression I got from the start from Mr. McCain.

Posted by: Kerric | August 25, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I hope Senator Clinton delivers an unequivocal endorsement of Obama and tells her husband to get over himself. I can certainly agree that HRC supporters should make their own decision as to whether or not vote for Obama. However, as far as I can tell these ladies (my sister in law included) seem to be saying that they refuse to vote for Obama because he did HRC dirty or somehow robbed her. That's the part I just don't get. He won fair and square by superior organization, thrifty management of resources and a better understanding of the big picture, not to mention picking people who didn't indulge in a circular firing squad dynamic. I don't get the notion that somehow she deserved the nomination simply because they were virtually tied in the total voter count. Oh well, I hold out some hope that she does the right thing for the party and delivers a barnburner of a speech making the case that 4 more years of virtually the same policies ain't a good thing any man, woman, child or beast.

Posted by: Kim | August 25, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

ack - scc - a good thing FOR

Posted by: Kim | August 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

This is more than three weeks old, but I love it: http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/display.cfm/57104/

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

OMG! This is exactly what I'm afraid of...this kind of double talk!

Posted by: Kim | August 25, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Front page alert.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 25, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Front Page Alert, BTW...

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 25, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

firsttimeblogger: Excellent! I hope that commentary catches the net on fire. Required reading for all.

Too bad there's not a spontaneous "quick boat" treatment of McCain called the Keating-5 Scandal, only it would be true. Imagine evening after evening of sonorous voiceover detailing how much the saving and loan debacle cost the country and McCain's role. Combine that with Butler's commentary and it might just be the coup de grĂ¢ce.

Posted by: rookhaven | August 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

*shaking fist at 'Mudge's quicker clicker finger*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 25, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Iggles beat the Pats
I'm still yesterday, catch-up
must reach luna day

Posted by: omni | August 25, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Cheney and Biden were both chosen to shore up inexperienced candidates.

Biden = Cheney

Posted by: buddyjimmy | August 25, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hyperlinks appear to be back at the blog in IE if the NEW KIT is any indication.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 25, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

oh, jeez, I just passed by a bunch of bdays...so HBD to Mudge greenie and LAl. And all others (I know there's one more this week, forgetting)

Posted by: omni | August 25, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

FTB, thanks for that link.

"Succeeding as a POW is a group sport, not an individual one."

That says it all for me.

And yeah, the age and dementia thing concerns me.

Did everybody read the story on quake theory? Hope is alive.

Posted by: slyness | August 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

new kit

Posted by: tonk | August 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Why Joe Biden?

Obama's VP choice doesn't make sense, pure and simple. Our base of course will vote Democratic but what aboutthose allegiances who don't fit in one of our increasingly narrowing two parties?

1) Obama represents something new and revolutionary for this reason he
needs on his arm a white man who is older and more experienced. Biden
does fit this bill, but a southern that is more conservative was
imperative to win over the undecided and those swing voters. We
haven't had a Democrat win who didn't reign from the south since
________- extra points for anyone who can name him. Don't Google it.

Another well-educated northerner like Biden reads elitist, "not like
me" to the average American, Kerry flashbacks anyone? Why can't we
learn these lessons the first time around?

Bush has been successful in the past because he resonates "I am like
you" to the average American even though we all know he isn't,
privilege and legacies can be ignored by some with the right exterior.

The only worst choice would have been Hilary which would have been a
for sure instant death- we move incrementally, social change can't be
too fast for us Americans. It is 2008 and its the first time a black
man and women have ever been seriously considered to run our country.
Brown v. Board decision was 1954 and it wasn't until 1964 until this
was taken seriously aka enforced. Women still make 70-90 cents
depending on the source for every dollar a man makes but now hold the
majority of bachelor's and master's degrees. This list can go on and
on.

2) Biden doesn't even have enough votes in his state he represents
to make a difference in electoral college or the popular vote.
A whole 3 points? Maybe his home state of PA with 21 points can help out?

We can't bank on the fact that the hatred of Bush, frustration about
the economy, the gas prices, unemployment and the war will result in
votes for the Democratic Party. What we really needed was more of the
same for the average American, working class person to feel
comfortable voting for someone new who reflects more than just the
Democrat ideals and that is where we missed the boat with pick of
Biden. Obama's change is more than just a tagline he embodies
unprecedented change in our leader's skin color. No one wants to
admit this matters- it does. Obama has asked us to have faith, this
is true now more than ever. Now we are left with crossing our fingers
and praying, yes people on the left pray.

Posted by: Kate Bueler | August 25, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse