Georgia Is In Europe?

The op-ed today by Sarkozy twice refers to Georgia as part of Europe (for example: "Europe put itself on the front lines from the outset of hostilities to resolve this conflict -- the third on European soil since the fall of the Berlin Wall").

My brainpan, though so coated with age-related Teflon as to have lost the ability to retain information, had always thought of Georgia as being an Asian nation. Geographically, it's over to the right, no? With the Black Sea on its left. Iraq and some other stuff down below. That screams "Asia" to me.

Wikipedia insists that Georgia is "a transcontinental country in the Caucasus region, partially in Eastern Europe and partially in Southwest Asia." That Solomonic decision is a bit unsatisfying. Does this mean the border between Europe and Asia runs through Georgia, or that Europe and Asia overlap in this region( like the Asian and Indian tectonic plates riding over one another in Tibet)?

Via Wikipedia we also learn that Georgia is part of the Council of Europe. (The what?)

Next stop: the National Geographic Atlas of the World, Revised Sixth Edition. I trust National Geographic on such things, because those folks are actually paid to draw the line somewhere. For example, the Geographic has ruled against including the "Southern Ocean" on the list of the world's oceans. Reason: There's a continent (Antarctica) right in the middle of it. Oceans don't have continents in the middle, they have continents on the edges.

The Atlas couldn't be clearer on Georgia's status.

It's in Asia.

In fact, the border between Europe and Asia is rendered by the Caucasus Mountains, on Georgia's northern border. This places Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia in Asia. Directly north of Georgia, the western part of Russia -- west of the Urals -- is shown as part of Europe.

Back to Wikipedia: the entry on Europe also cites the Caucasus range as the dividing line. But in the "Discussion" area you'll find the good stuff: Smart folks debating whether Georgia and Armenia should be considered part of Europe. For example, here's one comment:

"Why should they not be? They both speak European languages and are culturally and historically as European as Greece is. It is considered relatively likely that Armenia is the original homeland of the Indo-European tribe(s), which almost all of Europe, Armenia included, has linguistic and cultural heritage from.
Azerbaijan on the other hand is ethnically Turkic (who aren't really any more European than the Arabs). They speak a Turkic language and are culturally tied with the Central Asian Turkic cultures."

And some people want to be even more precise:

"What do we really mean if we say that Europe ends at the Caucasus. The northern foothills? A line connecting the highest points? If the latter is true then the northeastern part of Azerbaijan is definitely located within Europe and possibly some small portions of northern Georgia are too. I also think a mention should be made of Kazakhstan. As stated in the article the Ural river is part of the European border. Part of Kazakhstan lies to the west of this river and is therefore located in Europe."

Seems to me the fundamental problem here is that Europe's status as a continent has always been a cultural, political, journalistic notion rather than a geographical one. It's just not a real geographical continent: It's part of the Eurasian land mass.

The boundaries have thus been permitted to evolve according to political alliances and cultural whims. There's something of an irony here: Sarkozy warns of Russian expansionism even as his verbal embrace of Georgia as part of Europe is itself something of a stretch.

Great news: Boodle comments are back! I think they've all been restored. Thanks much to Bob Greiner & Co. at dot.com!

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 18, 2008; 7:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Black Gold, Texas Tea
Next: Gourmet Dirt

Comments

Geo101 on Monday morning. Great.

Hi, Cassandra. Hi, Martooni.

Posted by: daiwanlan | August 18, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Joel has identified one of the key issues in the dispute over NATO membership. For if Georgia belongs to Europe, then NATO membership is reasonable. But consider, the implications of this for a moment. NATO isn't a social club. It is an organization for collective defense. This means that, as a member of NATO, an attack on Georgia would be equivalent to an attack on America. Are we really willing to put our nukes behind the defense of Georgia? I mean, collective security is all well and good, but I think that WWI taught us the dangers of taking alliances too far.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 18, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Laughing, daiwanian. You're right. This is no topic for first period.

Besides, any piece that has "Turkic" in it in lieue of "Turkish" just can't be trusted.

And Joel has COMPLETELY omitted any reference to Canuckistan. I mean, just what the hell was he thinking? It just shows you that you can't trust those people at Nat'l Geo. Give me a good old Esso road map any day. I mean, Nat'l Geo? Who writes for that thing anymore anyway?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 18, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

When I was in elementary school, I was led to believe that "geography" had to do with mountains and continents and rivers--the physical features of our home planet. Later in life I took a course called "World Geography" at Florida Keys Community College, and that's where I found out about cultural geography and political geography. It gets pretty complicated. But I haven't budged from the opinion I had in 5th grade, that it's weird to say that "Europe" and "Asia" are two different continents. It's obviously just one big landmass.

Joel, good for you, getting the comments back. Don't rest on your laurels yet. We've lost our hyperlinks now.

Posted by: kbertocci | August 18, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Joel goes far enough. Europe is a racial construct. It has been a way to define themselves as separate and distinct from the barbarians across the mountains.

Huxley created Mongoloids as well as Xanthochroi and Melanochroi (which are commonly combined into Caucasians, from Caucus Mountains) This group covers Europe, Northern Africa, the Middle East, and parts of India.

I always found it funny that many people from the Indian sub-continent are Aryan (skinny noses) while those further west are Semitic (which includes both Jews and Syrians). It's just silly hair splitting to try to come up with reasons why some people are more worthy than others.

So all this arguing about who is what is an us-vs-them game.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Europe and Asia should just rename themselves as one continent and be done with it. Pangaia? I suppose that's taken.

As long as the Swiss, smack dab in the middle of Europe, won't embrace the European Union, I would guess that there's no hope to resolve who is European and who is Asian.

At least we North Americans know who we are and speak to one another across the borders.

Posted by: slyness | August 18, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

RD, don't we implicitly have our nukes behind countries like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan and Israel?

I'm not sure how extending that through NATO to Georgia makes much of a difference. I think I understand dark matter and dark energy a little better than geopolitics.

Heck, does Russia still have nukes behind Cuba?

I'd add here that as I understand it, Western civilization isn't limited to the West (see: Japan, Austraila, New Zealand), so it's reasonable to consider some countries culturally European that may not in fact be near Europe.

Having said all that, I don't know 'zackly how Euro Georgia may or may not be, or whether that's a label of convenience in the political and military defense of Georgia against Russia.

I think that there's plenty of culpability on both sides of the situation.

Also: Musharraf's resignation - they have nukes, a theater (more or less) of the War on Terra, political instability (see: Bhutto's assasination), a politically active military, and a neighbor they don't get along with so well (India) who's also armed with nukes.

And we have the Arbusto Administration representing us in all this.

Anyone mind if I add a bit of Kahlua to my coffee this morning?

bc

Posted by: bc | August 18, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

bc - yes, there are other implicit and explicit understandings in place regarding the Nuclear Umbrella. Yet most of these still have some flexibility. NATO is a treaty that guarantees that an attack on one is an attack on all. There isn't anything subtle about it. In my opinion, Georgia isn't a place where we should be willing to automatically go to war.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 18, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I thought that Gulliver had this business sorted out long ago. The Lilliputians are the little-endians, and the Blefuscans are the big-endians. Or was he Swift-boated? I get so confused without my beloved coffee.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | August 18, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I always thought it was only the Lilliputians who used Intel Chips who were little-endian.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 18, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Georgia is in the Eastern Division of the Southeastern Conference. Georgia Tech is in the Coastal Division of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

That other Georgia seems awfully far from the North Atlantic. Maybe SEATO has some openings for expansion teams.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I think there are some good points being made that the term "European" has a racial tinge to it. And that's part of the problem. Places like Georgia have a very complex mix of ethnicities, and allegiance is often to ethnicity far more than nation state. Which is why security agreements based on nation states do not make a lot of sense in this part of the world.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 18, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

Posted by: Big Brother | August 18, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

RD, clearly, NATO is about the US' interests - after all, wasn't there some invocation of NATO with regards to Afghanistan and even Iraq?

I think there's more at stake in Georgia than simple Russian expansionism. There's oil money, for example. It could be in some folks' interests to not have to pay Russia (by proxy companies or the Govt itself) for oil or access to pipelines, while Russia, of course, wants to keep the money flowing in from the West and the Western East.

And as many point out, it helps the Russian gov't's purposes to make an example of Georgia to those other republics that sprang from the carcass of the Soviet Union.

I'm one of those that believes Putin wants to revive the Soviet Union, but can any good come of a Franken-USSR?

I'd suggest that from our perspective, what's going on there might look abby-normal, but it looks like folks are falling in line pretty quickly, and with this latest move (I think the Georgian President gave the Russian Govt a gift by precipitating this, BTW) into Georgia, things may continue sliding back in that direction.

And interestingly, folks may be falling back into Cold War patterns back here as well...

It's easy to go with what you know.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 18, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

BTW - Dobbs has an interesting article on this:

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 18, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

From a Russian point of view, an ankle-bite from Sarkozy and the EU may be more important than whatever barking comes from the US.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 18, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I could use one of those nuclear umbrellas. My spring-loaded ones keep breaking.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

yello, I'd be happy to loan you my nuclear rain poncho.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 18, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPH!!! :-)

In other news:

I'm shocked to find, shocked I tell you, that Rory Kennedy has produced an unbalanced "documentary." *RME*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'll just get some nuclear snowpants. I hear those nuclear winters can be pretty rough.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Big round of applause for bringing us back, guys. If its a trade off I'd rather have archive comments rather than hyperlinks.

And italics.

All the rest of the stuff that is going on scares the dickens out of me. You have two grown men, and nations grand standing like little boys. The rhetoric is straight out of the school yard and is equally rash. They want it all, and we all know that isn't possible.

Couldn't we just put them in their rooms and tell them to come out when they can be friends again?

Posted by: dr | August 18, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that Ukraine's President, Viktor Yushchenko threatened to cancel Russia's lease of the Crimean port of Sevastopol, if Russian ships there joined the Georgia conflict.

I think of the Georgian area as a stepping stone or doormat for those with the muscle to stride across.

In 1889, the Nobels completed a pipeline from the oil fields of Baku to Georgia's port of Batum (Bat'umi) on the Black Sea. Yet Russia had only acquired Batum in 1877 as a result of a war with Turkey. (I'm not sure if the first pipeline went through the Caucacus Mountains or the Lower Caucacus Mountains, but I'm betting the latter, along Georgia's southern border, because of its lower elevations.)

In Baku, during the 1905 oil strikes, it was racial and ethnic strife that drove the conflicts as well as labor unrest. Moslem Tatars rose up in an attack on the oil industry throughout Baku and its environs--their intent to kill every Christian Armenian they could find, including the leaders of the oil industry. For the next 20 years, because of the turmoil, Baku would become a backwater, commercially, in the world oil market.

It was just north of Baku, in the harbor city of Derbend, that Genghis Khan's generals Jebe and Subedei tried in 1221 to scale the Caucacus through the "Gate of Gates," the pass of Bab al-Abwab. It was in one of the mountain passes that the Mongol army met the forces of the young Christian King of Georgia, Giorgi Lasha, or George IV. The Georgian army, which rode out from the Georgian capital of Tiflis, was annihilated, but the king and his rearguard escaped. The royal household had had a permanent bodyguard of more than 30,000 Cumans.

Winter was the next obstacle for the Mongol invasion into Russia. In the mountain passes of the Caucasus, the Mongols' artillery and most of their supplies were either lost or abandoned in the snowdrifts. When the ground was hard again and they were no longer blinded by snow, the Mongols would once again attempt the crossing.

The Georgians army was defeated; they were no longer capable of putting forces into the field; George IV had died. The new defensive strategy was that only a unified front would stop the Mongolian onslaught. The Cuman leader Kotian (my ancestor) persuaded the Bulgars, the Khazara, and the Alans, whose Scythian ancestors had fought aainst Alexander, that only an alliance would be strong enough to resist an invasion.

Kotian put the combined army under the command of his brother Yuri and his son Daniel and sent them down to wait at the nothern end of the pass. Shall I tell you that Yuri and Daniel died by Mongolian hands--they had been bribed one night by a Mongolian ambassador bearing gold, promised to ride with the Mongols, but under cover of darkeness broke camp and tried to escape to the steppes?

The news of the defeat--all the fleeing Cumans who had been taken prisoner were executed--divided and scattered the Cumans. The Mongols recovered all their treasure and horses, their success leaving them emboldened.

Here I shall rest the tale for the morning.

Posted by: Loomis | August 18, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Asia is a huge continent with a small appendage called Europe. In Istambul there is a brige across the Bosphoros linking Europe with Asia. That is waaaay west of Georgia and the Kavkaz region.

Russia has a long standing relationship with the Kavkaskie peoples. Every Russian worthy of being Russian has his own secret recipe for shashlik (Georgian kebab, not to be confused with Sad Saak).

Now we have an American lawyer in charge of Georgia (The real name is Gruzia). When lawyers get involved, that spells trouble. In this case, a demented lawyer. His every third word is democracy, although he is not a good practitioner of it.

Not that many Georgians back this American lawyer and few of his troops are willing to die for him. This was demonstrated when the Georgian army voted with its feet and abandoned all the nice shiny equipment paid for by American taxpayers.

Here is a recipe for shashlik:

Cut up lamb into squares. Pour red wine into bowl, add bay leaf rosemarie, pepper, salt, garlic, onion, (optional, a few slices of lemon if you want to marinate in a hurry). Dump the lamb into the marinade, keep overnight at room temperature.

The next day take skewer lamb, green and red pepper, onion. Put skewers on the grill and drink wine while Shashlik cooks.

After gorging yourself with shashlik and finishing a few bottles of wine, you'll be ready to crash on your knees dancing the lesginka or decide whether to accept Georgia into nato--Remember: lawyers love memberships.

Posted by: Alexey Braguine | August 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for clearing that up yeljkt, I guess bamy is in europe while gator country is considered asia. I also wonder whether it is possible to stand in Asia and Europe at the same time(like the 4 corners in the US).

Sports report
Back from bawmer after watching the ravens,boy did we look awful. My predition of 8-8 seems quite impossible considering the ineptitude of our offense. Although the year we won the Superbowl,our offense went an NFL record 21 quarters without scoring a touchdown and still won 3 of those games.

Stayed around to watch Mr. Phelps get #8 and watched on the Jumbotron. Pretty cool!!

back to the world of baseball. I am glad to hear the Hagerstown Federals won their game despite being no-hit. 3-2 was the final. A hit batsman,a walk and 4 wild pitches scored the winning run. I once pitched a no-hitter in little league and we won 6-1.

Finally with Tampa leading the AL East by 4.5 games over the Sox and the Yankees 9.5 back. Could it be possible that both of the beasts in the AL east won't make the playoffs? Wouldn't that be sweet.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 18, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

There's a Tampa team in contention for anything? I hope this doesn't mean I have to read the sports section for anything other than massage parlor ads.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sheese, first Geography 101, then World History 101(b, or is it L?), Poly Sci, then cooking class. Mixed in there is PE, swimming. I've had more college this morning than my younger daughter. (Although, she's still on summer vacation.)

Does CP feel like she's already back at work?

Posted by: Don from I-270 | August 18, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Well, if you're gonna have classes, you gotta have quizes. Although, this isn't the kind of quiz we are used to taking.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Eastern Eastern Europe is in Asia.

In the DC metro area, the unincorporated town of Alexandria in Fairfax County abuts the City of Alexandria aka Old Town, which shares the same zip code, making their snail-mail addresses the same. What's different are their wholly independent governments. In theory, if you call to complain about some local service, a staffer could insist you have the wrong Alexandria, just to get rid of you, but that hardly seems to justify it.

After being bequeathed to be part of DC squared, the City of Alex was reclaimed by rebel Virginians during the Civil War. The US won, but let Alex go, sort of like Soviet Mother Russia let Georgia go. Now it's like the TV skit of Daryl and his brother Daryl.

Posted by: jhbyer | August 18, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Oops the 11:28 was me.

What I was trying to do was see if those thingies helped the link thingies work. I guess not.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | August 18, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Canadian gold has more than brass in it today...

Haute Maine is up to 9-- 2 gold, 3 silver, 4 bronze. Break out the maple syrup and poutine.

This morning, another silver for equestrian (and one in trampoline. I didn't know that was... never mind.)

Also, van Koeverden (aka Canadian's leading Gondolier) wins first in his heat and advances to the 1000m kayaking regatta finals.

At this rate Canada will CRUSH Togo utterly, to the tune of "Alouette".

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 18, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Eurasia for the Eurasish!

Posted by: Boko999 | August 18, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I miss Eurotrash... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

You're not alone, S'nuke.

By the by, I always though Europe was an peninsula of Asia. If India gets called a SUBcontinent, after all..

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 18, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know that trempoline was an olympic sport, or even a sport, either Wilbrod. I thought it would go the way of baton twirling or ringuette but there it is. But then they play hockey on grass in the summer Olympics so they are obviously oblivious to nonsense and ridicule.

Canuckistan not only beat Togo but also surpasses that murican swimmer in the number of medals. Take that you Phelps person!
The Pride of Perth, Ian Millar, wins something on his 9th Olympics participation at the tender age of 61. Way to go old fart! Do you think they'll make him another statue boko?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 18, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hi Don -- not feeling "in school" yet but those horizons loam for UMCP and our local high school.

I have been working on a HUGE honey-do list that is long over due because of my ribs.
Painting window trim -- scrape, scrape, sand, sand, prime, etc.
Patching flagstone patio dating from the late 40s
Mortaring brick pedestals to receive rain barrels
Cleaning the basement to make room for garage band dudes and electronica

and sorting and repairing clothing for the fall. I am so grateful for the low-humidity and clement weather of this August.

Posted by: College Parkian | August 18, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I am very sad about Georgia and the rest of that shifting puzzle-piece world of ethnic and religious strife. About us and our role, I am not at all sure. I am clear about how much we have squandered our reputation, thereby losing status to speak to higher moral grounds of geo-political conduct. Character matters always, including in statecraft.

Posted by: College Parkian | August 18, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it might be a good idea to take all those countiries like Bosnia and Herzegovinia and Kosovo and Montewhatsis, and make one big amalgamated country out of them. Maybe call it Euroslavia, or somethinbg like that. Then they could stop killing each other internationally, and just kill each other inside their own country.

And it would save money on flags and stuff.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 18, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

USA won gold in the team show jumping! So glad Ian Millar finally got an Olympic medal. I think Alicia Sacramone was robbed.

Not sure what to think about Georgia, still. Isn't part of Russia's problem that it wants to be part of Europe? And it's all about the oil.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 18, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I would place the Euro/Asia border at about the 35th Meridian, even though it slices Turkey - and keeps Georgia and Moscow out of Europe.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 18, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Dobbs is hosting a very informative discussion on the Georgian question. It is well worth a look.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 18, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The way to decide the boundary of Asia and Europe is to embed a plethora of pins in a map of the region. Then, using two processes of linear regression, plot the number of angels on the head of each pin and draw two lines. Remove all the pins far from the imaginary lines, and replace them on a new line established by your mathematical technique, halfway between the first two lines. There's your boundary.

I noticed something a while back: the contempt held by some regarding the Europeans (and Americans) in attempting to draw "lines in the sand" in the Middle East. And there is much valid in such arguments; when local governments in the area have traditionally used a "real" concept of governance by city-states, actual boundaries are maybe not so important as they seem to Western thought. And so we nod our heads and agree to the folly of drawing lines in the sand. And history bears out this folly. EXCEPT! Here in the States, and indeed in Canukistan also, we have established outlandish legal dominions based on the most artificial lines in history: the Western States and Provinces. We have totally rectangular Colorado and Wyoming, and all the others which involve Arbitrary State Lines, including Nevada's daring DIAGONAL. And which have remained stable political entities since the very day the decision was reached! So I no longer sneer at attempts to Draw Lines in the Sand. Why put down Western Arrogance when it works so well in the West? Maybe it has more to do with other human factors and less to do with arrogance than we have been told!

Posted by: Jumper | August 18, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

And, Mudge, we should consider combining into one political entity all countries which end with "-stan." We would call the new country, of course, "Stan."

Posted by: Jumper | August 18, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Traditionally, Istanbul is considered the gateway to Asia. The Republic of Georgia sits considerably east of Turkey. Wikipedia calls Georgia "transcontinental." However, a picture of Kakutsa Cholokashvili, reveals an alarmingly European-looking gentleman. While the physical geography may put Georgia in the Asian camp, its political history and the physiognomy of its people suggest a European fit. Perhaps it could be called a large European enclave on Asia's periphery.

Posted by: Bagrat | August 18, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I propose that we take all ten ethnic groups in the Caucasus, join them together have them join Europe. We'll call the new country Eutenasia.

Posted by: Brag | August 18, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether all those straight lines on maps of North America, Africa, and Australia denote more ignorance than hubris or vicey versus.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 18, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The straight lines in Africa denote ignorance and hubris by the Colonials. Elsewhere you mentioned, yello, they don't. But then again, I'm not Navajo.

Posted by: Jumper | August 18, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh, an enclave! They always make for interesting sqiggley lines. Ask Gunter Grass.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 18, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Those weren't my straight lines. I prefer the perfectly circular line the Misters Mason and Dixon put between Delaware and Pennsyltucky.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

A nice interview with Mr. Phelps

Nice to have the archives back.A very BIG Thank You to Mr. Bob Greiner

Off to work
Arggggggggg

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 18, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

My favorite perfectly straight arbitrary line is the Treaty of Tordesillas.

Something tells me the Portuguese had some insider information on that negotiation. Columbus was a loudmouth. Those tugas hold their cards close to the vest.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Well one more thing before I actually head to work. The Boss is playing in hershey PA on Tuesday 8/19. I sure wish I could catch them again.

I heard Thunder Road on my way home last night and I was just singing at the top of my lungs.

have a good day everyone!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 18, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

International Lighthouse Day

Posted by: omni | August 18, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

For ILH Day, I have posts about hunting Cape Cod and Nantucket lighthouses.

They are tricky elusive beasts.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

gwe,
I would love to see Brooooce yet again, but a weekday road trip to Hershey is more than these old bones can do.

My scream-along-at-the-top-of-my-lungs Springsteen song is "Hungry Heart".

"I got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack..."

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, you people still haven't figured out the answer to where Europe and Asia split? That decision should have been made HOURS ago.

Just let me know what the decision is, so I'll know and not make a fool of myself.

Back from visiting and playing with boy babies. Actually only played with P as W went to sleep shortly after I arrived and woke up shortly before I was ready to leave. They are growing, growing, growing. So precious!

Now, I'm going to try to talk myself into mowing the yard so it will be done.

Posted by: slyness | August 18, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Recycle your crocs into something that in turn is made into new shoes for developing country people who primarily live barefoot.

Life cycle renewable use of spent materials coupled with sole-centered justice: good news for today.

Now, for peace in Georgia, I got nothin'. Very sorry about that.

Posted by: College Parkian | August 18, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The Europe/Asia split is like Merlin that picks whether it's a southern or northern state mostly as a matter of convenience.

Posted by: slyness | August 18, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

SCC: The 2:33 PM is from me to slyness.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

New kit?

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Joel,

You are tooooo funny.

Posted by: Deb Cupples (Buck Naked Politics) | August 19, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Georgia has been Christian for almost as long as Rome. Waaay back there in the mists of time.

And yes, I've always thought of it as a kind of Greece, except over there on the right.

Posted by: rikken | August 19, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"After being bequeathed to be part of DC squared, the City of Alex was reclaimed by rebel Virginians during the Civil War. The US won, but let Alex go..."

No. Try again.

Alexandria County (which then contained all of Arlington and Alexandria City) was retroceded from the District to Virginia in 1846, 15 years before the start of the Civil War.

Posted by: dirrtysw | August 19, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse