President McCain to Invade Paraguay

This is what we need now as a president: Someone not afraid to make an impulsive decision. Someone who goes with his gut rather than waiting for his mind to kick in. Someone who has the courage to act in a completely random manner.

When John McCain is president, life will always be interesting. He may wake up one morning and decide to invade Iran. His advisers will say: Mr. President, you can't do that. That would be disastrous. And McCain will say: OK, what about, um, something like Paraguay?

Or Mauritius?

I'm in the mood for a good naval battle!

On Friday night a bipartisan Back Porch Focus Group found the Sarah Palin pick to be looking more and more bizarre. Politico writes that it's a sign of desperation, but that's not exactly right. You don't throw the Hail Mary pass when the game is so close. Politico says it ain't really that close.

McCain locked up the nomination on Feb. 5. He surely wanted Lieberman all along. They were brothers in arms. They began their song and dance way back in January in Iowa. McCain knew Lieberman, liked him, felt comfortable with him. Palin? Didn't know her. Had met her once. But on Sunday night the McCain advisers basically told the candidate that he couldn't have the guy he wanted. The base wouldn't stand for it.

He interviewed Palin for the job for the first time on Thursday morning. Sez the Times: "Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Salter met with her on Wednesday in Flagstaff, Ariz. It was not until the following morning that she traveled to Sedona to meet with Mr. McCain, who then sat down with her for his only interview of a potential running mate. Within hours if not minutes after the interview was concluded, Ms. Palin had the job."

Did the McCain camp know everything about her family feud in Alaska?

(Fact: My cat Phoebe was vetted better than Palin.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 31, 2008; 8:36 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Turbo Obama [w/ Palin Update]
Next: Happy Labor Day

Comments

Feud? More like war.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

If elected, Sarah Palin will probably have her ex-brother-in-law declared an enemy combatant and shipped off to Guantanamo, never to be heard from again.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Cat. Vetted. ha. good one

Posted by: omni | August 31, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

McCain wouldn't invade Paraguay; that's where Bush and Cheney are going to avoid war crime trials.

Unless of course a Hugo Chávez-like change of regime. Then McCain would definitely send in the Economic Hit Men and Jackals.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

A comment I made last night vanished, but it was omni-late, so I may have just imagined it. If you missed the link, I'm particularly proud of my photoshop of Sarah Palin as "Miss Congeniality". I did some detail work. See if you can spot the changes.

The post also explains the reasoning behind her kids' names.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | August 31, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

hehehe.... good one, omni. :-)

Posted by: martooni | August 31, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The United States has 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's incarcerated population.

I think this same inverse proportionality also applies to energy consumption, but I can't determine any correlation.

Paraguay would be a good place for Bush:Cheney to brush up on dictatorships before they make a comeback.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"she tends to oversimplify complex issues, has had difficulty delegating authority, and clearly has some difficulty distinguishing the line between her public responsibilities and private wishes."

I don't think the shrub delegates, I think other people just do the work automatically. So from this, Palin sounds like GWB in Mukluks.

Posted by: dbG | August 31, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

If McCain's vetters had read Wonkette, they would have known about the Trooper-firing a month ago. It was hardly a secret.

Yeah, I know that is my second link to Wonkette today. Behind the Achenblog, it's my primary news source. That may explain a lot.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I saw the link and pic yello. Can't spot the changes though.

What is omni-late?

Posted by: omni | August 31, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Eskimos have a word for the kind of snowjob McCain/Palin & Co. are dumping on this election.

Posted by: martooni | August 31, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

“The P.T.A. is great preparation for dealing with the K.G.B.,” President Palin murmurs

My favorite line from the Dowd link.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

omni-late: Anytime well after I should already be asleep. About 3 am last night.

Look at the cast listing, release date, and sash lettering. All different from the original poster.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Also check the tag line:

Untested.
Unvetted.
Unknown.

Hey, which makes this on-kit.

Here's the link to the original poster that I used:

Not sure what ever happened to Sandra Bullock. Besides "Miss Congeniality 2". That would sink anyone's career.

Posted by: Mo MoDo | August 31, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Morning all!! *waving*

Seems the local mugginess has cleared out just in time for NukeSpouse and I to enjoy a relaxing afternoon/evening with a few fellow Boodlers. As long as we can keep our minds off Gustav... *SIGHHHH*

*I'm-not-here-late-I've-just-been-busy-even-though-it's-a-holiday-weekend Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think Sandra Bullock did The Lake House after that, yello. Another one sure to dump a career. I mean... who's seen Keanu Reeves since then either?

I like what Cassandra wrote early this morning...

"Personally, abortion has never been an option for me, yet it was my personal choice, not a directive from someone that did not have a clue about my life, and probably cared even less about my life."

I think that about sums up what Pro-Choice means. No one is pro-abortion, just pro-choice.

And as a pro-choice person, I must take issue with those who are anti-choice, but say they think abortion is OK "in the cases of rape or incest."

I'm sorry.... but if you think abortion is wrong, why is it OK in those instances? What does the circumstance have to do with the baby who was conceived? If you think it's wrong, then it's wrong all the time... not just some of the time.

To me, that is as big a hypocrisy as being anti-choice but pro-death penalty.

Posted by: TBG | August 31, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

We need a contest here. Which critter is more intrinsically funny? Moose or caribou? Examples, please.

Posted by: allbetsareoff | August 31, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I look at it like this. McCain sat around and asked himself who he would most like to become pretty much the most powerful person on the planet should he suddenly decide to stop breathing. And he came up with Sarah Palin. Makes you wonder, you know, about that whole judgment thing.

Because her inexperience coupled with her muscular conservatism leaves me profoundly queasy. It's sort of how I feel about Hurricane Gustav. Except Gustav won't potentially, have access to nuclear weapons.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 31, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Kenau had the good sense to avoid 'Speed 2'.

Moose: Bullwinkle
Caribou: Caffeinated Beverage Chain mascot
No contest.

Then there's this:

And this:

Can you tell what my Google search terms were?

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I vote for the platypus, the ultimate Democrat -- an egg-laying, duck-billed, beaver-tailed mammal that also happens to be venomous.

Talk about a "big tent" species.

Posted by: martooni | August 31, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Ah! Paraguay.
Lovely harp music to sooth a fugitive's nerves. Lovely ruins of Jesuit missions.
My favorite Paraguayan song: Recuerdo de Ypacarai

bhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5bwcaLXTEy Del Parana

The babe in the video beats Palin

No mushroom clouds there but clouds nevertheless. Good excuse to bomb.

McCain-Palin? This election is turning bizare.

Posted by: Brag | August 31, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"Moose" is much funnier. There are very few good caribou jokes, but uncountable numbers of moose jokes. to wit:
---
Fly-in Moose Hunting

Lloyd and Bruce fly into the Alaskan interior to go moose hunting. They have a good hunt, and both manage to get a large moose. When the plane returns to pick them up, the pilot looks at the animals and says, "This little plane won't lift all of us, the equipment, and both of these animals--you'll have to leave one. We'd never make it over the trees on the take-off."

"That's baloney", says Bruce.

"Yeah," Lloyd agrees, "you're just chicken. We came out here last year and got two moose and that pilot had some guts; he wasn't afraid to take off."

"Yeah," said Bruce, "and his plane wasn't any bigger than yours!"

The pilot got angry, and said, "Well, if he did it, then I can do it, I can fly as well as anybody!" They loaded up, taxied at full throttle, and the plane almost made it, but didn't have the lift to clear the trees at the end of the lake. It clipped the top, then flipped, then broke up, scattering the baggage, animal carcasses, and passengers all through the brush.

Still alive, but shaken and dazed, the pilot sat up, shook his head to clear it, and said "Where are we?"

Bruce rolled out from being thrown in a bush, looked around, and said, "I'd say, about a hundred yards further than last year."

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

OK, technically it's not a very good joke, and the moose are somewhat peripheral, but you'll note that there was no appearance by any caribou!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all.

DNA Girl -- you are *so* lucky to have seen and experienced Marian McPartland live. She did a show here at the Smithsonian maybe 15 years ago (not sure), and the place was packed! The show was about Billy Strayhorn. I *love* her work, and I can't believe she's 90. She's tremendous, and I officially have a contact high (as we used to say in the 60s) from your post.

I will admit to starting to be a wee bit anxious about the election, although I made a contribution to Obama's campaign this morning. There are, alas, some women who will vote for McCain -- either because of Palin or not -- and that's the reality. Or there will be others who still won't vote at all. That will certainly honor all those women who lost their lives fighting for the right to vote (but, hey, they're dead anyway, so who cares, right?). And if that's the case, and if (*shudder* *cringe*) McCain wins, we shall (should the world not end abruptly) *not* countenance *any* whining about the state of the world (globally or their little, tiny piece of it).

And, now, I'm off to do an errand. Or several. Enjoy the rest of the holiday.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 31, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Paraguay!! Those b@st@rds have been asking for it for years, if you ask me. I hope this time they get what they deserve. I could never figure out why the U.N. didn't kick them out of Southeast Asia years ago. Or Africa. Whichever continent they are in. Australia. One of them that has an "A" in it. Altoona. Albania. Something like that. (Sometimes confused with its neighboring country, Uranusguay. One of 'em is landlocked and the other one has a big harbor in its port city of Multivideo, where the Russians sank the German pocket battleship Graf Spew during World War One. It was in all the papers. And that's why Paraguay has been a world trouble spot ever since. As I'm sure McCain knows.) (Although he may need Joe Lieberman to tweak a few of the above facts, in case I got anything slightly wrong.)

'Morning, Boodle. Nothing like a brisk current events recitation to get the ol' brain muscles moving in the morning.

Slyness, I liked that Andrew Sullivan analysis you linked to. Thanks.

There's scuttlebutt that McCain is thinking of naming Elmer Fudd to head the Dept. of Homeland Security: strong security chops, and obviously a hunter with lifelong NRA membership. And you gotta admit, it is a bold, daring selection nobody saw coming, and it dewights the wabid anti-wabbit wing of the Repubwican pawty. Cynics may think it is a shawwow pwoy to attwact disaffecterd Hiwwawy Cwinton suppowters, but I disagwee.

(Yeah, I went allllll that way just for "Hiwwawy," but it was worth ever moment.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I think what has happened to John McCain is one of the great American political tragedies, frankly. The McCain of the 1990s had some fire in his belly, even if the "Maverick" label was misplaced. McCain 2008? It's like a limp noodle is running in the real McCain's place. A real Maverick would have gone with the man he wanted as VP (Lieberman), Republican base be damned. I swear, the Palin pick is like he decided if he couldn't have Lieberman, any old person would do.

Oh, and it's tremendously insulting to women (as if we all vote with our va-jay-jays). And a big "f&%$ you!" to independent voters like me....

I find the selection tremendously upsetting.

Posted by: Jennifer Ouellette | August 31, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh OK yello. Though If pressed I think I would have said cast list...but I focused on the pic alone

And after Lake House was Premonition...snooze

Posted by: omni | August 31, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I know my links are often cryptic or let's face it, late at night acid-rocky, but I did post the news about Paraguay's new leader here recently. Which might indeed be a reason McCain might plausibly if not invade, then try some funny business. (Invade because of the fact of the new leader, not that I posted it here.)

No naval battles, please. I have a nephew in the Navy and the scuttle is they may go to sea soon.

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Ya just gotta love a post that features both va-jay-jays and limp noodles. Jennifer, you need to drop in and post here more often.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, Jumper. I'm pretty sure we can handle the Paraguayan navy pretty easily.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Paraguay has been sort of a lawless mess. The new president is a seemingly leftist former bishop--but I don't know whether the Paraguayan government really means much. It seems sort of a state of Libertarian anarchy, complete with sneaky Middle Eastern residents.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 31, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Can you say "Caribou and Skvirrel?"

I thought not.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Paraguay submits first official report on torture

"Lugo, a left-leaning former Roman Catholic bishop, defeated the Colorado Party in elections this year, ending its six-decade streak when he took office on Aug. 15".
and

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

This Alaska Troopergate story has me puzzled:

"Fearful for her family members' lives, Palin said she drove to her sister's house and watched the argument through a window.

She told investigators that when she arrived at the house she could see Wooten "waving his arms." She said she thought, "He is gonna blow it." She said she left for a meeting without calling police."

"Fearful for her family member's lives....she left for a meeting without calling police."

Why does that not make sense?

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Jumper...

ScuttleBUTT, please. I'm sure no naval personnel want to hear "scuttle" all by its lonesome. 'Specially out at sea.

:-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Joel explains it as:

"Someone who has the courage to act in a completely random manner."

A matched set - McCain and Palin.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I know Paraguay is all for guays and all that, but I had never heard of Unanusguay. So I looked it up on Wiki. Apparently their Capital is Mianus.

Posted by: omni | August 31, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Jumper - Hear, hear! I was on a boat in the S.F. Bay when things got so dicey (unexpected storm, a couple of unwise [OK, outright foolish!] decisions... you probably get the picture) that we considered scuttling her so that she wouldn't land on us as we were being bashed against the rocks.

A lot of luck, and a little bit of desperate seamanship, made that unnecessary. No talk of scuttling!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking last night how Error Flynn would have loved skewering these candidates. Wouldn't we have had some great discussions with him? Not that we're not now...I miss him.

Dandy Lion, last night I wasn't up to responding to your remark about Palin's "feminine touch". Maybe I should just politely ask, what in the heck did you mean by that?

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 31, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,
Your international analysis was fairly akwuwate. But it was in Monte Fideo where the Germans sank the Titanic by placing an uncharted ice bug on the Plate of the river. Since it is shallow water, the tip and the whole ice bug were visible. After the colusion, an avalanche crashed on top of the Titanic killing Hitler and his entourage who were seeking an alliance with Juan Peruano. Moral of this story is that harbors placed on plates of rivers are politically incorrect. Ah, to stay on kit, I should add--It all happened in Paraguay.

Posted by: Brag | August 31, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

SCC:CARP:::Ur not Un. dangit.

On the other hand, I bet Wilbrod is already wishing for a new kit again.

I hate myself for that SCC!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Shiloh;

That makes about as much sense as:

"Palin said in an e-mail ... 'Wooten spoke with his Trooper gun on his hip in an extremely intimidating fashion' "

What, the trooper had one of those swivel rigs where you can fire the gun without removing it from the holster?

Or had he SuperGlued the gun to his hip?

*shaking my achin' haid*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thank you for the corrections, Brag; I thought I might have been shaky on one or two points. I'm glad you're on our side.

One wonders what the bishop of Paraguay might think about issues such as guay marriage, guay rights, etc.

Thank you for the correction on scuttlebutt, Scotty. I was too momentarily shocked to handle it myself.

In other matters, I am devastated -- devastated I say! -- to learn that neither Bush nor Cheney will attend and address the Repub. convention. (Also known as: "McCain dodges a couple of bullets.")

And here's a story bound to lighten everyone's hearts: "Oil Group Joins Alaska in Suing To Overturn Polar Bear Protection"

By Kari Lydersen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, August 31, 2008; Page A04

CHICAGO -- The American Petroleum Institute and four other business groups filed suit Thursday against Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director H. Dale Hall, joining Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's administration in trying to reverse the listing of the polar bear as a threatened species."

(And what incredible irony? Who'da ever thunk Kempthorne and his disemboweled EPA would ever be the "good guys"? Jeez.) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/30/AR2008083001538.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Just so my orientation is clear: I voted for Obama in the primary, even tossed a bit of money into the kitty for him. Fully intend to vote for him in the general election.

Having said that, I'm going to be exhausted real soon by repeated character assassination of Palin. She's obviously a piece of work, with a complicated family. So be it. Lots of folks are similar.

If she's genuinely amoral or stupid, that will probably become clear. But I'm not very impressed with tea leaf reading about her handling of a stressful situation involving her family, of which the vast majority of us were completely unaware thirty-six hours ago.

If you don't like her cultural/social/political leanings, then don't like them. Vote against her and encourage others to do likewise. But I genuinely see no need to paint her as ignorant or evil until and unless more evidence comes to light.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I got a feeling Palin just ain't gonna make it past the convention. This thing has that "Tom Eagleton" smell all over it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Mark Knopfler - Postcards From Paraguay:

One thing was leading to the next
I bit off more than I could chew
I had the power to sign the cheques
It wasn't difficult to do
I couldn't stay and face the music
So many reasons why
I won't be sending postcards
From Paraguay

I robbed a bank full of dinero
A great big mountain of dough
So it was goodbye companero
And cheerio
I couldn't stay and face the music
So many reasons why
I won't be sending postcards
From Paraguay

I never meant to be a cheater
But there was blood on the wall
I had to steal from peter
To pay what I owed to paul
I couldn't stay and face the music
So many reasons why
I won't be sending postcards
From Paraguay

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 31, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

The River Paraguay is the second major river in the Río de la Plata watershed, ... the Paraguay has not been dammed for hydroelectric power generation, and as such it is navigable for a considerable distance, second to the Amazon River only in terms of navigable length on the continent... providing a much needed link to the Atlantic Ocean for the otherwise landlocked nations of Paraguay and Bolivia.

"I'm pretty sure we can handle the Paraguayan navy pretty easily."

If McCain sends the U.S. fleet up river we'll be bogged down in another war.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

'mudge - I feel likewise. Way too much baggage / unresolved questions. I'll give 3-to-1 for bets (up to fifty cents) that there's another running mate within 30 days.

Well, I suppose won't because (while I haven't read them lately) I'm guessing that the WaPo.com "full rules" probably discourage making book in the 'boodle.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Bob, we're being entirely rational regarding Palin, in our own inimitable way... Unlike many other comment sections and Web sites.

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Well, I suppose I won't..."

Gosh, this English is a HARD language!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

But, Bob, that's one reason Palin is a brilliant choice. Dems don't do character assassination well, and if they try, they'll be painted as not respecting women, small towns, Christians, motherhood (and apple pie, etc). I've seen many women questioning whether she should be taking on presidential campaign duties while she has a 4 month old baby (with special needs, as we're reminded again and again). So it ties us in knots in many ways. I was wondering what possessed her to think it was a good idea to become pregnant while she was governor. But it's a very personal question, isn't it? I mainly care because I wonder if she doesn't believe in birth control - which is fine for her, but does she want to extend that to everyone? The personal becomes political sometimes...

I will note that the Republicans have been questioning Obama's character, patriotism, religion, nationality, motives, agenda, etc.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 31, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Suggested McCain campaign slogan: "Random, unpredictable, impulsive, scatterbrained change we can believe in."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Scotty -I've been too fearful to venture to any of the comment sections of articles about her selection. I don't have the stomach for what I'm pretty sure that I'd find there.

Just call me wimpy!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

mostlylurking - Yeah, I wasn't nuts about the same techniques applied to Clinton, Obama, Romney, etc, either.

I didn't say that I was surprised by it, or expect it to go away. Just that it's exhausting.

:-{

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

On a somewhat serious note, I think the best Democratic strategy regarding Palin is to basically ignore her in every way. The GOP is doing a perfectly fine job of destroying her all by themselves, and there's an old saying about when your opponent is shooting himself in the foot, don't get in his way.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't pretend to much nautical knowledge. I once wrote a piece after 9-11 responding ironically to the concept of "holy war" with the concepts of "holy F-117s, holy cruise missiles, and holy submarines."

I sort of agree with Bob S. Folks are looking for a reason to hate the new Repub on the scene. For me, of course, it all boils down to the single awful decision she made: being Republican. The other stuff is a bit of a strain until we know more.

Besides, who among us does not have occasionaly trouble with crankheads being inlaws?

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

From an NYT article
...the process reflects Mr. McCain’s history of making fast, instinctive and sometimes risky decisions. “I make them as quickly as I can, quicker than the other fellow, if I can,” Mr. McCain wrote, with his top adviser Mark Salter, in his 2002 book, “Worth the Fighting For.” “Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”

Could we please just let this man consolidate his homes into a country and let him live there with his "mistakes" and their consequences?

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 31, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Will someone please, if possible, educate me on the schedule of the Daily Show? I thought it was not ever scheduled on Fridays. Now it is or was. I used to skip all Monday reruns. Now I am unsure. As for Colbert, I have the same uncertainties. The websites don't seem to be of help in this matter.

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Bob: On Krauthammer's blog yesterday people were applauding Palin for using her power as governor to try and have her brother-in-law fired. I countered that a governor is not a self-appointed judge and jury, that that is an abuse of power - and that a form of government that combines the executive, legislative and judicial branches has a name: dictatorship. I fully intend to keep hammering away at Palin until November 4th.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I dunno, Jumper, I don't sense much (or in fact any) "hate" of Palin. Ridicule, disbelief, and a lot of other stuff, sure. But no hatred. We don't even know enough about her to hate her. That she's an extreme Conserv idealogue is true enough, but that's not grounds for "hate," per se, merely some sort of intellectual dislike and aversion. But "hate" is an entirely emotional term.

I mean, I don't even "hate" McCain -- though I disagree profoundly with him on virtually every point, and I don't respect a lot of his behavior.

But I would caution strongly against using the word "hate" in any of this.

(Now if you wanna talk about Bush, Cheney, Rove and Coulter, then sure, I'm fully prepared to launch the H-bomb. But not on some hapless hockey mom who found herself in the wrong place at the wrong time through no fault of her own.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Latest Naval News.

The American aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln with a crew of 5237 put into the Iranian port of Bandarabbas for emergency repairs.

The previous evening Capt Earl Pomphret had ordered leeks for dinner.

Posted by: Brag | August 31, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

'Cause it reeks of liar-atude all over, Shiloh?

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 31, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Wimpy, Bob? Nah, I'll stick with "gentleman." 'Salright? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

You can't fool me, Brag. Everyone knows Iran has no such port city named Antoniobanderas located on the Straits of Hormel. And Capt. Pommefrite (check your spelling, dude) would never order leeks.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Joel. I'm afraid some documents regarding one "Phoebe The Cat" have recently been uncovered.

There are concerns.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 31, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, I miss the Daily Show all the time because it's on at 11 pm here (when I'll be watching Charlie Rose, or sleeping), with the previous day's at 8 pm. Because of the convention last week, they did a Friday show - because they tape too early for the Thursday show to be about Obama's speech. No idea what's happening this week, but I suppose it will be similar.

I doubt I'll be able to watch the R convention.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 31, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I doubt I'll be able to watch the R convention.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 31, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Friday night specials only during the conventions, Jumper.

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 31, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

RDP, let's not forget all those Phoebe fotos on http://www.icanhascheezeburger.com

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

A thousand apologies for the double post. I refreshed 10 times, became convinced I must not have clicked Submit. Lying b*****ds!

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 31, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Msg. received on "H" bomb. Although "looking for a reason" may not be entirely false.

In unrelated question, how many kids did Malthus have?

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Mostly, probably so. But I wouldn't judge; she already had 4 kids, and at age 43, a final kid must have seemed like an unexpected final blessing.

I'm guessing she just likes having kids and there's not much else to do those long winter nights, if you know... condoms don't work 100%, either, and probably are less effective after being carried outside in -50 degree weather.

Bob S., yes, she has sinned by not being of our political persuasions, even if she has what Jennifer Ouelette spake of.

More so, she has sinned by not being at least a likable sort of moderate republican with clear history of ethical behavior to be the anti-Cheney.

I will trust to Mudge's analysis, but I do wonder how much input the Republican convention will receive from its constituency on this.

Posted by: WIlbrod | August 31, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Jumper - Hahaha!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The lies bother me as much as the abuse of power, Wilbrod, like the lies that got us into Iraq. Note that the major media don't report all the facts about Palin's accusations against her ex-bil, for example, that the tasering incident happened six-years earlier, at the request of the kid, and was delivered at lowest possible power by his father, a certified taser instructor. Alaskan newspapers at least report the salient facts, not just the sizzle. Or the hoopla about turning down the "bridge to nowhere" when the fact is Palin was FOR the bridge before she was against it. I think she is about as truthful and trustworthy as Bush and Cheney.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Just in case it was a trivia quiz with prizes, I'm pretty sure that Malthus had three kids - at least one too many in a competition for resources, eh?

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Malthus married his first-cousin once removed, Harriet Eckersall, on April 12, 1804, and had three children: Henry, Emily and Lucy

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Mudge - can you tell me where I can go to see the GOP destroying Palin that you mentioned in your 1:13? I just watched G. Will say that she was a good pick for a couple of different reasons and then say that "those of us with children with Down's syndrome" couldn't be more delighted (or something close to that) I really don't want to see her destroyed, she seems to be an estimable person in many ways. I just want to see some Republican admit that she's not qualified to be VP and that she was only picked because she's a woman. Can anyone make an argument that she would have been picked if she were a man? Haven't Republicans excoriated Democrats for years about people picked or hired or elevated with an eye towards gender or race? I'm with Jennifer Oullette, I think this is insulting! And if I hear her applauding Hillary Clinton one more time, I might have a stroke!
All I've seen so far is Republicans acting like this was a magnificent choice by McCain. Am I missing something?(Krauthammer doesn't count)

Posted by: Kim | August 31, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I certainly didn't intend to imply that I think that Palin shouldn't be criticized vigorously, even enthusiastically, for abuses of her governmental power to settle personal scores. I don't feel sufficiently acquainted with the stories yet to feel like I've sorted it out, but it's certainly been reported for quite a while.

Oh, and I was for the bridge before I was against it. Actually, I'm still for it. I just don't think that the Fed's need to be investing heavily in the project.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Malthus' parents had 8 children and competition at the dinner table may have influenced his theories.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh and what I meant about her applauding Hillary was not that I DON'T think Hillary deserves accolades. She does, but it's not believable coming from these folks. I don't believe for a moment that they have any respect for Hillary at all, it's just a blatant gimmick to try to peel off some Hillary voters.

Posted by: Kim | August 31, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If the Wilson Bridge (I-95) over the Potomac needs to be replaced (as it did) that seems like a reasonable project for federal funds. Likewise the I-35 bridge up in South Canuckistan.

But the Tyson's Corner-to-Dulles Airport rail link, or the Ketchikan Airport Bridge? Not so much.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I've backboodled a bit and it appears no one is getting into the daughter/pregnancy thing that's being bruited about regarding Palin. DailyKos (not saying I'm an admirer) is making hay with this rumor. The details are somewhat convincing. After a few weeks of this I imagine Sarah Palin will withdraw her bid for the VP rather than submit herself and Trig to DNA testing.

Posted by: Wheezy | August 31, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Malthus developed a theory of demand-supply mismatches which he called gluts.

Probably named for his more aggressive siblings.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, Kim, I *was* counting Krauthammer, though I understand your reluctance to count him (I may even agree). But yes, he was one, along with Andrew Sullivan, David Frum, and a bunch of those unnamed GOP functionaries in some of the stories on Friday and Saturday who complained that Palin undercuts the whole "experience" card (it wasn't just Dems saying that).

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm finally getting around to reading yesterday's paper, and have noted the tidbit that Heath Ledger's apartment in SoHo is back on the market... for $26,000 per month.

Gosh.

I'm not sure what to say about that, except to note that I'd have to work something like forty hours of overtime PER DAY to pay for those digs.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Wheezy, I tried to find that pregnancy thing on Daily Kos, and couldn't find it. What is that rumor all about?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Jumper,
Don't forget the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Wheezy,
The adopting-the-daughter's-baby rumor is just too radioactive for me to touch. Just because it's on Wonkette doesn't mean I believe it. Doesn't mean it isn't true either. I've known several families with that sort of arrangement. That really falls into the white-lie territory I'd rather not touch if it didn't reflect on her judgment as a leader.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, here's something interesting: Politico reports that Palin's husband and son are NOT registered Republicans.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link to the DailyKos thing:

I'm not saying I believe it, though the details are strange. I'm simply stirring things up by spreading the rumor. Nice of me, no?

Posted by: Wheezy | August 31, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,
Here is the DailyKos version of that rumor:

Remember that Wonkette is a gossip/satire site.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

More raids in Minneapolis on potential political protestors.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Why is being a man, or white, the gold standard for hapless incompetence?

"Can anyone make an argument that she would have been picked if she were a man? "

Hey, us white dudes have done some cool stuff, you know?

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Ummm... it was a joke. I ain't that sensitive.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, the white dudes up in Minnesota don't take no crap from mouthy upstarts!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I'll make the observation that there are some possibly legitimate concerns:

"Sharp objects to puncture the tires of Republican National Convention delegates' buses. Buckets of urine to throw at police officers. Large-scale maps with routes targeted to be blocked.

Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher said Saturday these were among items seized in searches of anarchist leaders' homes and a center used by the RNC Welcoming Committee, which describes itself as an anarchist/anti-authoritarian group and uses the motto "Crash the Convention!" on its Web site."

It's a crazy old world! Sometimes not easy to tell who's posing, who's playing, and who's potentially problematic.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Not that I want to be the Republican VP -- far from it -- but I've actually *talked* to the Russian couple who live across the street from me a couple of times, so I think that gives me better foreign relations cred than Palin.

I also held an impromptu Wee Folk convention today and invited all the Fairies and Gnomes and Sprites and such to voice their opinions.

The Fairies, obviously, are totally for Obama, though they wish he would go all the way and allow them to marry and not just have domestic partnerships.

The Gnomes were leaning toward McCain at first, but then the Great White Moose Hunter entered the picture and the Gnomes, being friends of the Moosen, threw their support behind Obama.

The Sprites and Pixies, the most fickle and unpredictable of Wee, refused to share their opinions unless given a Very Large Bowl of green M&Ms marinated in single-malt Scotch. Let's just say they got their M&Ms, but a long-haired leaping Gnome intercepted the marinade.

The Elves, of course, are above all this nonsense and plan on moving to Canada no matter who wins. Apparently, they've heard of Yoki's culinary skilz and her liberal wine-pouring tendencies.

Which leaves us with the Hobbit and Brownie contingents, who just want to be left alone, thank you very much. McCain scares them with his apoplectic "get the hell off my lawn" brand of diplomacy, but they're not totally convinced that Obama's "can we talk?" approach would be any more effective.

Ultimately, the Wee are by-and-large pro-Obama by at least 37 points. Considering the holdouts previously supported Saruman (a.k.a. Dick Cheney) and are still his thralls, it's safe to say that the "sane" Wee vote is almost unanimously pro-Obama.

That said, they *are* just a wee bit upset that Obama/Biden hasn't come through on miniature yard signs yet. Almost every Wee interviewed expressed an interest in having a tiny "Obama/Biden in '08" sign they could plant in front of their fancy Wee Folk Outfitters doors.

Posted by: martooni | August 31, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Happy Sunday of the Labor Day Holiday to all. Any new b-days missed?

As we head into an election where abortion and choice promises to be a sub-text about candidates and issues, I offer this feminist reading resource. These articles are not political but, rather, philosophical. However, people of good will here know that life and choice positions must begin with a thoughtful exploration of values.

Try first this online journal:
Feminism and Nonviolence Studies
Fall 1998 - Special Issue on Spiritual Diversity
Mary Krane Derr, Guest Editor
An Interdisciplinary Journal Published
by the Feminism and Nonviolence Studies Association, Inc.

See especially Derr's editorial, which examines some of the stereotypical thinking that interferes with common ground dialogue:

Abortion Isn't Always A Spiritually Divisive Matter by Mary Krane Derr

---
As for me, a pro-life feminist since about 1978, I try to operate from these non-violence values. This approach, which also condemns all forms of capital punishment, is sometimes called the
seamless garment approach OR
the consistent life ethic OR glibly the
womb to tomb approach

The late Cardinal Bernadin of Chicago coined the "consistent life ethic" term. "Seamless garment" approaches began with the anti-nuclear movement and may have been coined in the radical Catholic Worker community. I first heard it from Bishop Ray Hunthausen circa 1980, long known for his thoughtful and Christic progressivism.

BTW, few know that Harry Reid is often identified as a pro-life democrat.

Having said all this, solutions to crisis pregnancies in the aggregate cannot be legislated. Tis a thorny and tragic problem of hearts and minds. Let us all proceed with humility and love and compassion.

Posted by: College Parkian | August 31, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Um...the Daily Kos/Wonkette thing was not only...uninteresting, it's actually pretty shameful that Kos and/or Wonkette would even post such a thing.

As for the "massive police raid" in Minnesota, it was...um...an incredible non-story. A couple cops stopped by a house to question somebody who wasn't there. No "massive." No "raid." No arrests.

No nothing. Jeez. What the hell was Firedog thinking?

This sort of bull---- doesn't help anything.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

mostlylurking, to answer your earlier question on Sarah Palin's feminine touch, I'll be blunt about it. Sarah Palin, being a female politician, has a certain appeal to men that HRC couldn't capture. I'm not just talking about physical attractiveness, though that plays a role, there are many other factors involved.

She has a baby to hold too. I'm interested in seeing how that plays out with public opinion.

Posted by: DandyLion | August 31, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, perhaps you would like a link to the feminism and nonviolence journal:

Posted by: College Parkian | August 31, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I don't think that the Honorable Sen. Clinton is a politician at all. Bill Clinton is/was a politician. What Hillary does is something else.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

In the 9+ minute video of the police raid, occupants of the house said there were about 15 police officers who addressed each other with code names, that they were armed with "machine guns" and that the residents were handcuffed and on the floor for about 20 minutes. Computers and journals were confiscated - along with "incendiary material" (fireworks) - and that the police were looking for, according to the warrant, boxes that could be used to carry bombs, or empty bottles that could be used for Molotov cocktails.

I guess you had to watch the entire video to get the rest of the story.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I should use the term "politicker". It probably better conveys what I intend.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Shiloh - Been there, done it! In the 70's the Klan was still having annual rallies near Stone Mountain in Georgia. My buddies and I really couldn't countenance such brash idiocy, so we regularly made use of our adolescent energy to construct irritations for them. We though it was a heck of a good time, but neither the Klansmen nor the cops would have been particularly tolerant if they'd been able to catch us.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, my definition of nothing and yours don't jibe. 16 year old coincidentally taking at least 5 months off of school for mono during the last 5 months of her mother's pregnancy. Friends not allowed to visit, according to some. Mother's pregnancy not noticed by anyone during the whole thing. Mother's water broke in TX, gave speech, flew over 8 hours home, drove an hour to a remote village hospital to deliver premature Down syndrome child, rather than visiting any number of better hospitals she passed on her trip. Flight attendants not even aware she was pregnant, much less in labor.

That's not nothing. At the least, that's poor judgment.

Posted by: Wheezy | August 31, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, it sounds like the pre-emptive war in Iraq has come home to roost in the Minneapolis pre-emptive police raids. If nobody was arrested, why the hell were the police there in force? Perhaps, as one kid said in the video, "to indimidate."

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I know, I know... It's incredibly misogynistic of me not to acknowledge the contributions of the Klanswomen to the kause.

Mea Kulpa!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Wheezy - You're right, of course. She's trying to be cagey about something that's simply not concealable. Bill Clinton made the same mistake, and it cost him an awful lot of time, energy, and goodwill.

But clumsy attempts to keep private matters private do not, in my estimation, necessarily rise to the level of unforgivable character flaws.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for the YouTube vids of Palin field-dressing a freshly killed moose, with moose-blood up to her elbows and maybe some on her face.

I'm sure that would play well to the Republican base (at least the NRA contingent), but how will it play in suburbia where meat comes neatly wrapped in cellophane and one never gets to meet lunch eye-to-eye?

I have nothing against the "hunter" aspect. We *are* omnivores who will eat just about anything that doesn't eat us first. I just wonder how many gun-loving Republicans also have the stomach to see where their BBQ comes from.

Posted by: martooni | August 31, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I am pro-choice.

And I choose to not believe that you are, or that your mother, your sister, your wife, your daughter is, a closet murderess who can't wait for the day when she might get the chance to kill her baby.

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 31, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

DNA Girl - You're mostly right, although I have a slightly frightening half-step-third cousin about whom even you might have some doubts! I saw/heard a quote in a movie trailer recently that brought her to mind. It was something along the lines of:

"What's the point of being a vampire if you can't kill people?"

A moderately intimidating woman, I tell ya!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

That's incredible, Wheezy. In a non-literal sense.

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

If the statute of limitations is up, Bob, more details on Klan harrasment, please!

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Tropical storm Hannah seems to have been smashed to pieces and no longer exist...

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, good news, Jumper!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

should I be worried?
my half-step-chupacabra-
third cousin believes
blood is thicker than water
saltier, tastier--OW!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon all
I went to the river for a dip and it was packed,iwould have needed a shoe-horn to squeeze in. So I opted to ride my bike along the river instead. I took it out yesterday for the first time since I hurt my back and rode around the block. Now granted I live in the mountains and around the block is up hills and 1.5 miles long. Geesh you would thought I climbed Everest.i was 1 big ball of sweat. Thankfully todays ride was much more leisurely and heck you gotta start somewhere.

Martooni I loved your post.I have been talking to all the wildlife up here and they are definatley voting for Obama. only the gnats and flies are hovering towards McCain.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 31, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

CP, my dad started talking suddenly about all the debates they had in HS and college back in the 50's and 60's about legalizing abortion. He said he saw pictures of women dying from back-alley abortions.

Back then, it wasn't about whether legalization was moral approval; it was whether women should be forced to seek a medical procedure from untrained people simply because it was illegal to conduct abortions.

Abortions were ALREADY occuring even when outlawed. I do like the approach that "unwanted pregnancies should be prevented" and counselling given to help face choices.

But for sure, if we go back to the backalley days, those women will not be reached by pro-life supporters and family planning services.

And therein is where philosophy and reality diverge.

When you take a stance that basically expects others to abide by your moral code without expectation by penalty of law, you're moving from philosophically moral to being fundamentalist.

This may be an oversimplifcation, but consider how the role of women in modern society has changed in 100 years, and how many religions to this day can be interpreted or understood to mean that women shouldn't preach, pray, vote, own property, and so on, and I think we all need to make a clear line between private belief and public activism.

I know some people are incapable of doing so. Properly focused, they will be agents of change in a society that too often settles down to the lowest common denominator.

But they are no more enlightened or morally superior than those who agree, but also recognize the necessity of allowing others the choice.

Thus, I can indeed be anti-abortion yet pro-choice for other people; for I cannot control their philosophy or guide their lives. Only they can for themselves.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 31, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, you are pro-choice. As DNA girl was saying earlier (I think I'm getting her point) just because one supports a woman's right to choose does not mean one is eager for such choices or pushing women towards them with glee. Some of my best friends think abortion is repugnant, and work to provide women with alternatives if they are needed. But since they don't favor making abortion illegal for all, they're pro-choice in my book. I'm for providing women who wish to carry to term with choices, too.

BTW, thanks to Jumper and Bob S for agreeing with me that the Palin rumor has at least some plausability. Whether or not one would choose to pursue it in a clean campaign is, of course, another thing.

Posted by: Wheezy | August 31, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

As Gulf coast residents brace for Hurricane Gustav we should all be ready for a surge in gas prices. LA and TX produce 40% of US gasoline and refineries, as well as offshore drilling operations, are shutting down. The WSJ reports that oil production has been cut by an amount equivalent to 50% of our daily imports of foreign oil. Any prolonged shutdown of refineries at Port Arthur or in Louisiana could see gas prices approaching $5 soon.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

As am I, Wheezy. I'm sure many abortions could be stopped with counselling on choices.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 31, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

An excerpt from Address by President Kennedy at The American University, Washington, D.C., June 10, 1963

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable, and we believe they can do it again."

Obama: "Yes we can." "Si, se puede."

Posted by: omni | August 31, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

It would probably only take a few months to retrofit a few supertankers with gonzo banks of solar cells & mirrors to power boilers to run generators to split water down into nice, burnable hydrogen. Each one could only take a small nip at the problem, but the ocean can hold a heck of a lot of those boats. It might not make sense at a measly five bucks a gallon, but as oil prices start to push the price of petrol toward $10-15 per gallon, all sorts of options will become viable.

Of course, there's no good distribution system for hydrogen, and those ships would be spilling a lot of unnaturally warm water into the ocean, but, hey, you gotta crack a few eggs, right?

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Not having a body part between my legs that rhymes with "angina", I'm of the mindset that "choice" is a question to be debated and answered *only* by those with a body part 'tween the legs that *does*.

Wombless, my opinion and druthers mean naught.

That said, having the reciprocal parts and being part of the procreation equation, I think the male of the species should have some say -- not the ultimate say -- but a say, nonetheless, whether an intention or accident or "miracle" should come to term.

What I most absolutely do *not* want is for some moose-whackin' hockey-mom from Alaska (or some otherwise conservative moralistic freakazoid) to legislate a way to prevent those with ovaries from controlling what their ovaries do or do not produce.

As has been said earlier, nobody is a proponent of abortion just for the hell of it. And if abortions are allowed for incest or rape, why is it any worse (morally speaking) to abort because the father is a jackass or the mother hasn't finished high school yet (or a thousand other reasons)?

As the father of a daughter, I really don't want to think about this stuff. And as much as I would love grand-babies, I don't want my daughter to think she *has* to birth them if the circumstances aren't acceptable.

In other words, I hope the entire conservative wing of the Republican party dies in a fire (preferably one ignited by all the WMDs they swear were and are still in Iraq).

And I think I've found the Eskimo word for "snowjob" (as what McCain/Palin are delivering)...

"Cluster-yuk"

Posted by: martooni | August 31, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

'tooni - Fearlessly spoken, sir!

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Wishing death on people is something I've never been able to do.

Posted by: DandyLion | August 31, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I do think the Palin rumor is entirely plausible.

Unfortunately if it's true, we must ask what other information has been falsified.

Many anti-abortion activists are concerned (and rightly so) with aborting pregnancies in which the baby is indicated to be abnormal. In that context, Trig's having Down's syndrome seems to have been politicalized-- with Palin's consent.

There are 375% the number people born with Down's annually than are born deaf-blind, judging from those statistics, and there is no genetic test to screen out deaf-blindness.

About 1/4 as many infants are born with Down's as are born with some type of hearing loss (and indeed, infants with Down's probably comprise a good 1/5 to 1/4 of that figure).

Far more pregnancies will have ended in miscarriage or stillbirth (if not abortion), as is very common for chromosomal abnormalities.

Thus, facing a pregancy with a diagnosis of Down's syndrome is a common dilemma faced by many.

If the rumor is true, I'm personally not sure how I'd feel about her publicizing the Down's syndrome and "her" choice.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 31, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

By the way, since Hillary is so much more interesting...

If I was Hillary, this 1998 joke alone
would be enough to make me want to see McCain go down in flames, come what may.

Chelsea's pretty and that was cheap.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 31, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

In Wonkette's defense, the rumors are being spread through the comments section not in the official posts. Likewise, about anybody can be a DailyKos diarist. Mo MoDo is one if that is a clue as to the vetting process.

I find the pictures and the accompanying timetable less than convincing. Once this is out there it will have to be either refuted ala the "Barack is a Muslim" rumors or it will have to be divulged and spun. Either process doesn't sound fun.

The Edwards rumors ran underground for months before eventually being largely substantiated.

As to reproductive rights, I too have to recuse myself. My wife and I are in our mid-40s and I'll be glad to to rid of that monthly brow-wiping.

A long time ago, Isaac Asimov was asked what improvements he would make to women. He had two suggestions. Put the breasts on the back to make dancing more fun. And to make ovulation voluntary. That could bring its own issues in the cases of unplanned pregnancies.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Me either, DandyLion, but keep in mind that these are people who will stoop at nothing to get their way. I've heard the word "farce" has requested diplomatic immunity until the end of this election.

Let's just say I'd be satisfied with a lightning bolt up their collective arses.

No different than Dobson praying for rain at Obama's acceptance speech. (boy did that one backfire!)

I'm to the point where I not only know these people are jackasses hellbent on distorting and "reframing" the facts to their purposes, but they're just plain old jackasses hellbent on manipulating the media into delivering their half-baked messages -- and the media (Joel excepted) is happy to comply. If a fair fight hit these bastages between the eyes, they wouldn't know it.

So Eff'em.

Let them suck things pron stars wouldn't touch.

Like John McCain and Ms. Palin.

Shrivel and drivel.

Posted by: martooni | August 31, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Vasectomy when?
The old man finally sees.
Should have known sooner.

Posted by: Jumper | August 31, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

apropos of praying and whatnot, here's michael moore's open letter to god, which made me chuckle -

Posted by: L.A. lurker | August 31, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody mentioned the big long story about McCain's childhood and early career:

There is a lot to digest in this. Makes you wonder why the Repulicans keep nominating guys with serious daddy issues.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, good of him to repudiate the whole idea there, LA lurker.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 31, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I find myself reading the dead trees edition with an eye towards the Boodle. Here is part of an article that talks about hated jobs. Including umpire. Anything to add, mudge?

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes, yello. It is necessary to make a clear distinction between jobs which the job holder/performer may hate, and jobs held by people, who are hated by the people they deal with. As a matter of nearly universal fact, umpires love their jobs (otherwise they wouldn't do it). That other people may hate umpires is their problem. I was an umpire for 17 years, loved the last 15 of them, and would have gone another 3 to 8 years (I was shooting for 25) when my legs went bad and then I had my bypass.

And actually, I wasn't "hated" by too many people (a few yes; most, no. I was elected to the board, served 8 years, was appointed chief umpire, was made chief umpire instructor; I couldn't have been all *that* despised).

I've read autobiographies of 8 pro umpires; every one loved his job (her job, in the case of Pam Postema).

And I think the notion that umpires are "hated" is a general myth, a piece of common folklore that people say in a kneejerk fashion, without really thinking. It isd fashionable to say, but there is not real evidence of "hatred." Granted, an asshat like Earl Weaver hated umpires; but umpires universally hated Earl Weaver, so who's right in that case? Weaver was clearly the jerk, not the umps.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 31, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Mudge - I'm just glad everybody loves us government folk.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 31, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

A diversion from politics, here's a story about a cemetary near where Mr. T grew up:

Posted by: slyness | August 31, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't do a lot of praying (it hasn't been my experience that it's a particularly efficient problem-solving technique) and when I do, it's seldom in public. But I'll share this one with you:

"Dear Lord, I've been assured by the testimony of the book of Joshua that you have been able to stop the Sun and the Moon when it suits Thy purpose. Oh Merciful One, please hasten the Sun & Moon upon their tracks so that election day might come soon, in order that a new chief executive will put an end to the crazy cruel clown school that is the detention center at Guantanamo.

Lord, I'm not choosy, I'm not partisan. ANY new executive will suffice, because neither McCain nor Obama will suffer this particular abomination to abide. Unlike some others, I've seldom had any problem finding reasons to be proud of my country, until that dark day when I first heard the name "Abu Ghraib". Since then, I'm a bummed out dude. Hep me, hep me, oh, Lawdy, hep me!!"

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

"Palin backed 'bridge to nowhere' in 2006"

At least one national newspaper got the story straight. She was FOR the bridge before she was against it. And,Palin paid a lobbyist to work for projects.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't we be appealing to the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well? Just to cover all our bases.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's another one for James Dobson. An area with a high potential for development is forming in the Atlantic. If it develops into a storm, it's name will be very Republican: "Ike"

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Yello, the Pastafarian Brotherhood has already prayed to the FSM to turn the storm, but the Bene Gesserit sisterhood says the Kwizatz Haderach trumps the FSM.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I saw the first rumblings of the pregnancy story a few days ago, in blog postings. It's all over huffintonpost now, and I think that's a good thing.

Why? Because if you lie about this in such an elaborate way, if you then hold up the baby as a symbol, what else have you lied about? The evidence is fairly compelling--why would a mother of 4 get on that plane?

I'm starting to feel this is going to end up like Harriet M's appointment to the Supreme Court. Palin will have other things to attend to and resign the nomination.

Posted by: dbG | August 31, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

McCain was/is struggling to pin down two important demographics - the christian right and white males. Both groups wanted to vote for him but were uncertain as to his repub bona fides. Palin's ultra conservative views and "naughty librarian" looks give him both. People are underestimating the power of sex appeal along side the old guy. The combination allows conservatives enough cover to not care about the wet dreams of the rest of their party. If you were uncomfortable with Bush using revenge as a motive for his foreign policy, be afraid of what McCain's vp choice forbodes of his f-p motives!

Posted by: Reader 4 | August 31, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Good evening. This Kit was great, Joel. Funny and thought-provoking at the same time.

Moose v. caribou - moose. Moose is or are inherently risible. Caribou, you have to work for it.

Thanks, Mudge & Brag for the Paraguay history. All is now clear. DNA girl, I love the idea of letting McCain consolidate his houses into a country and living there.

Re: Palin. If a governor can't conduct a vendetta against an ex-brother-in-law, what good is being governor? You gotta be able to use that power for something.

Bob S., today was St. David Pendleton Oakerhater day for Episcopals - a Native American saint who wound up in our very own church. The priest today made a very interesting correlation between the "terrorist" Native Americans who were rounded up in the 1800s and sent to prison in Florida, which was a somewhat lawless sector without due process of any kind, like Guantanamo. He talked about the miracle of human contact that happened in the Florida prison, resulting in St. Oakerhater, as opposed to the lack of contact in Guantanamo. It was a small but fascinating part of the sermon.

// An interruption by The Boy:
bed now sleep and food good for me and stuff...//

Back to me, I agree and will soon be in bed too.

// Another interruption by The Boy:
sleep NOW as in good for me to sleep NOW.//

Indeed. Buenas gnocchis, Boodle. Vaya con queso and fondue.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 31, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Vendetta and Mike Wooten, Ivansmom, is all the more reason to keep Guantanamo as a going concern for political prisoners.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Even if Sarah Palin's son is really her son, the circumstances of his birth certainly do show a serious lack of judgement.

Looks like she and McCain have that in common.

Enjoyed a fine afternoon and evening of eating crabs and drinking Margaritas with friends at bc's house. Even got to share a glass of port and enjoy some star gazing on his deck. A great way to close out the summer.

Posted by: TBG | August 31, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

TBG - Great skywatching conditions tonight, for the 'burbs. It's not "Big Sky country" great, and it certainly ain't Mauna Kea, but not so bad.

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

SWELLS FROM HANNA ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE THE RISK OF DANGEROUS RIP
CURRENTS ALONG PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES COAST
DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

Beware the Undertoad.

Posted by: Shiloh | August 31, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Surf's up, dudes & dudesses! Anybody up for a road trip?

Posted by: Bob S. | August 31, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

St. Paul RNC report- Katie Couric was in Bath and Body Works at Mall of America yesterday (recognized by Frostdottir at her new job)but has blown town for Hurricane Gustav. The biggest scheduled protest march of the week is supposed to depart from the park across the street from the Hip Urban Loft (HUL) on Tuesday-organizers say it's still on. Pre-convention mischief was predicted for today but the porta-potties are lined up at the park's edge and there is no one around to use them. Saw a group of interesting (MN speak for strange) cyclists headed toward the Xcel Center around 8:15PM but they had their signs and banners rolled up so I have no idea what they were about. Ate breakfast this morning at Keys Cafe, where MSNBC was scheduled to broadcast from Mon-Thur from 7:00-11:00AM. Doubt they'll be doing that with the convention all but abandoned.

Local view-big loss for St. Paul, if there were a dozen extra people downtown today I think it's because they were all going to the Mad Dog Saloon's annual block party. Big gain for McCain-it's a lot easier to have a gaffe free convention if it's really short.

Now I'm off to back boodling and bed. Toodles and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 1, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

frosti - May I safely assume that Katie C. is chasing toward Gustav, rather than fleeing because she's afraid that Gustav is going to find her at the Bath & Body there in Bloomington?

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

fb,
Thanks for the live and local updates. Keep them coming.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

This is just disgusting.

Posted by: nellie | September 1, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

nellie - Yeah, you'da thunk that they'd have done a few practice runs by now. It shouldn't seem like they're pulling their puds, wondering, "Well, golly gee! What should we do now?"

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I understand that busy stuff don't come easy. When I was the bar manager for an Air Force officers' club, we had a pilot school graduation ceremony/dinner/party every six weeks, and each time, it seemed like more than half of the people I worked with were seeing it for the very first time. Quite annoying, but nobody was going to freaking DIE if we didn't get it right.

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

On the other hand, the only three times that I saw every plane on base launched in quick order (that's thrice in a twelve year career. It's not the sort of thing that's actually done very often!), it went pretty darned smoothly, even though most of the people involved had, in fact, never seen it done before.

But then, we all trained as if somebody might very well freaking die if we didn't get it right.

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Hi, frostbitten. I was thinking it is quite a blow to St Paul to have the convention go away. Some of the CBS guys were there tonight, but who knows for how much longer. It is kind of odd to have a hurricane in the Gulf affect an event so far north - thank you, George.

Aptonym alert in the link nellie posted:
"Paul Rainwater, director of the Louisiana Recovery Authority and a Louisiana National Guard officer"

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 1, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Happy Labor Day, my brothers & sisters. Screw management!

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

And I meant to say, it is good to see that things are going better, if not perfectly, in the Gulf coast area this time. Hope the storm isn't as bad as Katrina.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 1, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I've recalculated the Heath Ledger apartment deal ($26,000 per month!!!), and I think I could swing it by working about sixteen hours of overtime per day. Plus, I'd save a good bit on utilities, because the only time I'd be there is on the weekends, which I'd presumably spend almost entirely unconscious, resting up for the week.

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Ha, Bob, I can relate to that! Happy Labor Day indeed.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 1, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Nope, still not enough. I'd definitely need about 25-30 hours of double-pay overtime hours per day. Darn.

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Today I watched Hanna all day as a strong north wind tore it into pieces, and then hours later see it's reformed a hundred miles to the west badder than before. I guess you DO need to be a weatherman to know.

Posted by: Jumper | September 1, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

mostly - I was working on a poem for the occasion, but I keep getting stuck for the right rhymes for "Hoffa" & "Gompers".

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Jumper - you're bad! I was telling people all night long that my good pal Jumper had assured me that Hanna was no longer a danger to anyone. Several of them put down deposits on uninsured homes in flood zones specifically on your say-so.

Oh well.

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Hope everyone can stay out of the way of the hurricanes. Not looking forward to wintry weather here, that's for sure. This seemed like one of the shortest summers ever here. We were kidding about having to turn the heat on tonight - but I refuse to until September - heh heh (usually I wait till October).

Nice end of summer blog pics:

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 1, 2008 1:43 AM | Report abuse

My folks live in Savannah (GA) which is traditionally not a particularly high-risk target for hurricanes. Plenty of wind, rain & flooding sometimes, but the truly tragic fury doesn't head in that direction very often. Mostly, it moves up to Charleston, bless 'em.

I note that, at the moment, Hanna seems pointed precisely toward Savannah and/or Charleston.

Posted by: Bob S. | September 1, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Bob S., those planes took off smoothly because as you said, people drilled like crazy.

Perhaps because the stakes were perceived to be far higher, and, of course, Sen. McCain was no longer flying planes for the Navy...

Posted by: Wilbrod | September 1, 2008 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Jumper, if your nephew doesn't want to go to sea (or if you don't want him to), why should he have joined the Navy?

Posted by: LTL-CA | September 1, 2008 3:09 AM | Report abuse

*SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* I retract the following statement.

_______________________________

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 31, 2008 1:05 PM
_______________________________

*somewhat-folorn Grover waves*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2008 4:53 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' everybody...

I'll be spending this Labor Day working and muttering nasty things about my boss. I never knew that schizophrenia comes with being self-employed.

{ yes, you did }

{ no I didn't! }

{ oh shut up and get back to work already }

Anyway... hope you all have a good one.

Peace out :-)

Posted by: martooni | September 1, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Goood morning and happy Labor Day to all.

It's foggy in the high country. Too bad it's a September fog, an August one would have been a portent for a winter snow.

I have hopes that the federal response to Gustav will be markedly more professional than the response to Katrina. Dave Paulison, the current head of FEMA, was fire chief in Miami-Dade. Bill Peterson, head of FEMA Region VI (including Texas and Louisiana) was fire chief in Plano, Texas. Both have experience in managing large-scale incidents well.

My prayers are with all the folks affected by the storm, and I hope there won't be the devastation we witnessed three years ago.

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

As is traditional I will be spending labor day doing labor around the house.

Management insists.

And good thoughts and wishes to all those affected by Gustav. Hoping it plays out better this time. Sometimes, all right lotsa times, I get myself terribly worked up over stuff like this until I realize that my fight or flight reflex isn't gonna change things much. So I'm just going to take a deep breath and hope for the best.

And as a wise man once said,

Peace Out.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 1, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Gustav continues to weaken before it makes landfall... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday I made it to Savage Mill and back along the Patuxent Branch Trail. Very wooded and serene. Today look like a great day to take my new polarizing filter down to Bloede Dam. See you guys later. Enjoy the fruits of you labors.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Mornin all
yello have fun at blode dam,go on the east side of the river(balt county) and take some pics.I decided to go walking today and give my butt a rest from the bike. I'm going over into the next county and walk up to Ice Mountain....It should be "Cool"

I'll be saying a prayer or two for all those folks affected by the storm.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 1, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Yup, looks like it's gonna be a tough week, weather-wise. Gustav going to Louisiana and Texas, and Hanna at the moment is pointed directly at Savannah, and will almost certainly turn northward and head up this way.

Like Padouk, management has insisted that I labor intensely on Labor Day (O the irony!) (how come management never seems to "get" irony? Or "holidays," for that matter. Oh, well...). Today's agenda seems to be cleaning out the "office" (read storage area) over the garage. I sense a yard sale coming on.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 1, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The center of Gustav appears to be making landfall at about Port Fourchon, LA, which calls itself "The Gulf Energy Connection." It is just south of Houma and Morgan City, LA and about 60 miles SW of New Orleans.

Posted by: Shiloh | September 1, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: dbG | September 1, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I like working on holidays. The newsroom is so quiet. But the weather's so great, gotta stay outside today, somehow. FYI I posted as a microkit a photo of my tomatoes ripening in the kitchen window.

Posted by: Achenbach | September 1, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Hanna looks like she's going to cruise up the
Savannah River and give GA and SC equal opportunity.

Posted by: Shiloh | September 1, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Ann Curry on NBC reports 1.9 million people evacuated...but about 100,000 still in the evac zone.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 1, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse