World War Five

When in doubt, go with the most hysterical headline. (Rule one of blogging is that the End Of The World will be good for page views.) [For those who lost track: WW3 = Cold War; WW4 = War-on-Tara-according-to-neocon-pundits; which leaves us at WW5.]

This is big news: The president just announced that in response to the crisis in Georgia [dispatches say Russia is still advancing and the "ceasefire" is a joke (via Memeorandum)] he is dispatching the U.S. military on a "humanitarian" mission. He called on the Russians not to interfere. The Russians, meanwhile, continue their "peacekeeping" mission. So it's the Humanitarians vs. the Peacekeepers. (Each armed to the teeth with enough nukes to turn Earth into a new Asteroid Belt.)

[It's possible that I've completely lost my mind: Bush made the announcement more than an hour ago and the news coverage is focused on Condi going to Georgia, and his demand that the Russians honor the ceasefire. Seems to me that sending the military into a war zone -- even if it's a limited number of planes/ships etc. conducting a humanitarian mission -- warrants a headline of some kind, somewhere. Maybe I had too much coffee.]

Excerpt of president's remarks just minutes ago:

"We're concerned about reports that Russian units have taken up positions on the east side of the city of Gori, which allows them to block the east-to-west highway, divide the country, and threaten the capital of Tbilisi.

"We're concerned about reports that Russian forces have entered and taken positions in the port city of Poti, that Russian armored vehicles are blocking access to that port, and that Russia is blowing up Georgian vessels.

"We're concerned about reports that Georgian citizens of all ethnic origins are not being protected. All forces, including Russian forces, have an obligation to protect innocent civilians from attack.

"With these concerns in mind, I have directed a series of steps to demonstrate our solidarity with the Georgian people and bring about a peaceful resolution to this conflict.

"I'm sending Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to France, where she will confer with President Sarkozy. She will then travel to Tbilisi, where she will personally convey America's unwavering support for Georgia's democratic government. On this trip, she will continue our efforts to rally the free world in the defense of a free Georgia.

"I've also directed Secretary of Defense Bob Gates to begin a humanitarian mission to the people of Georgia headed by the United States military. This mission will be vigorous and ongoing.

"A U.S. C-17 aircraft with humanitarian supplies is on its way. And in the days ahead, we will use U.S. aircraft, as well as naval forces, to deliver humanitarian and medical supplies.

"We expect Russia to honor its commitment to let in all forms of humanitarian assistance. We expect Russia to ensure that all lines of communication and transport, including seaports, airports, roads, and airspace, remain open for the delivery of humanitarian assistance and for civilian transit.

"We expect Russia to meet its commitment to cease all military activities in Georgia, and we expect all Russian forces that entered Georgia in recent days to withdraw from that country. "

Here's Saakashvili on CNN today:

"[T}heir plan was always to take over the whole Georgia. Their plan was to establish their own government in Tbilisi. And their plan was to kill our democracy.

"And they are in the process of cold-blooded murder, and the world seems to just be watching on it and to not doing anything about it.

"So, you know, when a murderer gets away with first step, second step, third step, he'll go to the end. That's exactly what they're doing now."

Steve Pearlstein: It's all about the pipeline

Here's John Pomfret on the lip-synching in China.

A thought popped into my head [sparrows burst from a nearby tree in response to the sound] after reading Jack Shafer's column on newspapers no longer being the hub of social currency. Shafer writes:

"For as long as anybody can remember, the newspaper has been the primary info-hub through which people interacted. Oh, people might have talked to the shoe-shine man or their broker about what they heard on the radio or saw on television, but nothing could beat the newspaper as a source for socially lubricating conversation. How many times have you heard a conversation start, "Didja see that article ..."?"

So here's my question: If newspapers go extinct, hostages will no longer hold newspapers in snapshots sent alongside ransom demands. How will people line bird cages? What will I use to light the fire on my grill? (Lighter fluid??? You gotta be kidding. Stuff's nasty.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 13, 2008; 11:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rooting For the Chinese
Next: Good Porching

Comments

Did I mess WW IV?

Posted by: dmd | August 13, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Yep, AFP and a Times reporter were reporting a tank column heading to Tbilisi earlier today. All the while the ethnic Russians militia are apparently cleaning up the region of its Ossetians. Sounds familiar?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 13, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

*repost from old kit*

ok - i'll agree they look young but does that change their skill level? even if they are 13 they performed at a level comparative, if not better, than 16 year olds... doesn't that count? not that i wasn't rooting for the americans cuz i was... oh, and sheesh michael phelps!
and mudge was right about russia and other countries taking children at young ages and putting them through extreme training during their youth - remember Barishnikov? only the best male dancer EVER!
also, there are other countries with extreme attitudes towards sports... remember the colombian soccer player who was killed after he accidently scored a goal for the other team?

Posted by: mo | August 13, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

dmd i added a little 'splanation of the WW5.

Posted by: Achenbach | August 13, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

SCC miss

Also heard a story this morning about Phelps coach telling his mom when Michael was 11 that it was time to go for the gold or quit the sport.

Posted by: dmd | August 13, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

If we've got any humanitarian aide left over after Georgia, maybe we could send it to, like, yanno, New Orleans.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 13, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

GWB wants to take on Scarlett O'Hara? :-)

Posted by: dmd | August 13, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

And I added something to the previous kit -- we can have one kit going for sports, one for war. Very efficient.

Posted by: Achenbach | August 13, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, dmd, I don't think he gives a damn.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 13, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Quote of the Week

Question: "What is going to be your legacy?"

Bush: "Oh, I don't know. I'll be dead when they finally figure it out."

Posted by: mo | August 13, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I surely hope that WWV doesn't get too hot. I don't think it will based on what I have heard. But I don't want to just regurgitate.

Instead I will stress the observation lost on many that some conflicts are never really over. Just because we decide that victory has been declared and do a little dance doesn't mean that everyone involved agrees.

The cold war never really ended because there still remained a certain Russian mentality of paranoia and insecurity. We in the West, to our credit and detriment, have a short memory. But others do not.

The point is, whenever a movement or ideology is declared "dead" one needs to be skeptical. Solved problems have a way of becoming unsolved simply because the underlying forces have never really gone away.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

First, I'm reposting Brag's comment from the last Kit because it goes well with this one too:

"I've been watching the South Ossetian Olympics.

First gold medal go to Saakasshvilli.
For being the world's worst secret agent.

Georgean tank crews win the fastest retreat on foot ever.

Russia wins the promotion of sports award by converting NATO bases into soccer fields.

G.W. Arbusto gets Olympic sponsor award for rewarding world's worst secret agent with 300 million dollars.

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 11:56 AM"

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 13, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

You mean we actually have troops with which to perform a humanitarian mission? Really? I thought they were pretty much all committed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Posted by: slyness | August 13, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Brag, how do you say "Mission Accomplished" in pa-Russki? Maybe all Putin and Medvedev need to do is hang out a big banner that says...

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 13, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Gee!
This makes all the talk about invading Iran sound, good?
Great plan though - I mean it's been a while since we've had anybody we could nuke it out with.
Hunker in the bunker and bring on the draft.

Posted by: Dmon | August 13, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

That Pearlstein discussion was excellent. He really outlined one aspect of this incredibly complicated situation. I really like his mention of "soft power." T

he thing is, this whole situation really, really doesn't fall into any easy ideological compartments. It isn't just about militarism, per se, or economic determinism, or nationalism, or ethnic hate. It's about a complex stew of all of the above.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Doubleplus ungood.

Posted by: Jumper | August 13, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"When in doubt, go with the most hysterical headline."

But is it hysterical enough, Joel?

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

How about "A Shooting War -- it was good enough for the Greatest Generation, why not us?"

Posted by: PlainTim | August 13, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

We need seperate Kits for sports and war?

Some might claim there's not much of a difference.

On a side note, I recall that Max Brooks already has a copyright on "World War Z."

Been meaning to read it, which I'll probably get to when I read everything on my nighttable first, roughly in time for the London Olympics.

I can only wince at GWBs calls for Russia's withdrawl from Georgia and for international diplomacy, after all of the international calls he's ignored and spectauclar lack of same his admninistration has displayed with regards to Iraq.

Could it be that those calls have fallen flat on the international stage(considering their source, of course), and that GWB has no where else to turn but to deploy our military? Again?

Or the fact that those acting internationally for the Bush Administration have practiced the domestic side of their craft - and been hired during - the most amazing partisan political era in decades.

I think we're seeing the larger maifestations of the GOP (and Rovian) playbooks play out internationally. Rather than engagement, dialogue, and negotiation, the game seems to have become focused on finding opponents' weaknesses and expoliting them where possible, and mustering (a hopefully overwhelming number of) troops to outright battle when confronted with an opponent who won't fold quickly.

Seems to me that it has become politically unfashionable these days to get things accomplished through quiet private negotiation and discussion.

Doesn't make for good media or blog fodder, I suppose. And I wonder if, as a society, we've become less sophisticated, and preferential to Spectacle as Solution rather than Negotiation to Compromise.

Do we prefer to elect folks we perceive as action heroes rather than real thinkers and politicians?

Hmmm.

bc

Posted by: bc | August 13, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

bc ponders "I wonder if GWB is beginning to realize the long term repercussions of our near-unilateral actions in Iraq on the US's ability to use and/or participate in international diplomatic efforts."

No. That would require self-examination and clarity.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 13, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Sad but true, PlainTim. I think that we need some spectacles to see clearly what we're doing and avoid these Spectacles.

So, we're engaging in a vigorous and ongoing military humanitarian mission in the middle of a war between two countries both of whom are at least in theory our allies? With a military whose capacity, its own experts agree, is severely diminished due to our current ongoing military obligations? While fighting a war in Afghanistan and continuing whatever we're now calling our military operations in Iraq?

I think W is signalling us and the world that he may be a lame duck but we'd better pay attention to him.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 13, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I've had the same feeling, that it is more "look at me!" than anything else.

Posted by: nellie | August 13, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Combination front page alert and front page story alert: the lead pix with lots a links about...'MATERS!!!

Plus, yes, this kit is also listed.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 13, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

'mudge - do you think we hafta do a bunker check?
do we have enough bread for 'mater sandwiches all around?

(btw - anyone have their mr. stripey produce and fruit yet? our mr. stripey looks robust and studly, but has yet to produce anything but flowers...)

Posted by: mo | August 13, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Boodle mascot won't have a sibling anytime soon... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Quite uninformed on this matter at the moment. Burning question for me: what was the nature of what has been described as an incursion by Georgian forces into Ossetia? Is sole real issue proportion of response? Given the nature of the neighbourhood, and the fact that truth never even made it to this particular front before it became a casualty, right now I'm thinking I'm glad NATO wasn't too hasty on expansion.

PS: timely Google ad below: "Russia Volunteers Wanted"

Posted by: SonofCarl | August 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a nice place to go fishing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickey_Pond

Posted by: omni | August 13, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Mo, no stripeys yet, a few big green fat ones though. People in the DC area who planted their maters early are doing pretty good, but those who planted late are looking at their plants only to see the flowers form, dry up and fall off without any fruit. The maters can't take the heat. The recent wave of cool weather will help with production.

Posted by: DandyLion | August 13, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

No time to discuss the Rothschilds, Nobels and Russian oil history (including dynamite) of that region. Would kick off with Baku, and Marco Polo cleaning mange from camel hair with the stuff that bubbled up from the ground there back in the long ago. *Sigh.*

On the way to the market for food this morning, heard NPR. The commentator said part of the problem was *how* Georgia addresses Russia. The Georgian president, he claimed, likes to taunt Vladimir publicly by calling him "LittlePutin." Vlad, who's short, hates being likened to the wee folks of Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels," the Lilliputians. Tensions erupting over nicknames?

Crimeny, I know the "macho act" is a guy thing. We go just before noon tomorrow to have the longish drainage tube and pin-on bag removed from my husband's armpit and a coupla stiches put in. Plastic surgeon Daniel Novick (NAH-vick) took out two nodes (not sure what the look was on my face was when I asked him where he got his plastic surgery training and he replied "Mississippi."). Path report results possibly tomorrow or Friday.

Really, really enjoyed the beach volleyball earlier this morning, Cuba vs. USA. The Phelps phenom puts me back to '72 and the Spitz spectacle.

Posted by: Loomis | August 13, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Man, you know what I think we can do to resolve all these conflicts? Give everyone of those guys in power a tape measure (in inches or centimeters, whatever), tell them to go into the woods, unzip and take a measure, and those who don't, um, measure up, get punished in one way or another (the interpretation of that last phrase is up to the beholder) -- and leave the rest of the world alone, dammit!

Geezos-peezos, people! I'm sure Cheney is in o r g a s m i c heaven at all of this, btw.

*sigh*

btw -- to Aloha -- thanks so much for your gracious invite to the beach hut (in response to my, um, inviting myself). Whenever I travel to Sweden, I always tell my friends "whoever wants me can have me" and so far, at least, we're all still friends.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 13, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

A bunker check might be a good idea, mo. I think I mentioned a week or so ago I'm goin' on vacation tomorrow (Philly and the Jersey shore), so I'll be largely off the 'net for a while. Oh, yes, I'll check in when I can -- but in the meantime, I'm leaving Brag in charge of the Dawn Patrol (the man has a perhaps unhealthy fondness for low-level passes and strafing runs, so the rest of you guys are gonna have to watch his six -- from a slightly higher altitude). mo, you might want to coordinate with slyness to make sure the bunker is fully stocked for the next 8 days, just in case somethin' happens (I've left the key in the usual place under the floormat).

(I dread to think what you guys will do to the bunker this time. Scotty, you've got the conn as acting shop steward. If you think you need to declare martial law and must start smashing Kinkade, Lladro and Hummel, you have my permission and deepest thanks. Don't let 'em fool you with the old "No, it's not a cargo net, it's only an oversize doily so go ahead and sit on it" trick; next thing you know they'll have you triced up like a turkey.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 13, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

It's not the tricing, it's the spatchcocking I'm worried about, 'Mudge.

:-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 13, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

omni, what prompted you to look up Trickey Pond? I worked on summer at the camp that is mentioned in the Trickey Pond article, Camp Skylemar.

I was not one of those "top-notch" athletic instructors that the web site touts; I was a waiter. Yes, it was the kind of summer camp that has waiters. The waiter staff was assembled from students at my high school, as the head counselor was the head of our PE department, so one could also view it as a way for us "under-privileged" kids to afford the kind of summer camp that has kids for 8 weeks of summer and that has waiters. Over all, it was a pretty good time.

Posted by: PlainTim | August 13, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I see I managed to sneak in Precious Moments figurines - wait til Mudge discovers those little cuties.

Running for coverage from the barage of rotten tomatoes :-).

Posted by: dmd | August 13, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Hoping for good tidings for Mr. Loomis.

At least slow rain here fighting the drought. In the midst of the rain, some more midnight trash dumpers struck on my neighbors' property. Curious. Some 12 or 15 bags (40 lb. or so, agricultural style bags) of "samilla de morro" which I think is "morro seeds" with a misspelling of "seeds," and also some boxes of some sort of seasoning packages, spices labeled "tamale mix" which I don't know how are used. Speaking to the owners of the property, I advanced a theory that drug smugglers had retrieved their booty from a shipment, and then dumped their camouflaging imported product to be rid of it. But who knows. But exactly what "morro seed" is used for, I am dumfounded. Never heard of it.

Posted by: Jumper | August 13, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

SoC - there are lots of good tutorials on the subject. Check out some of the WaPo discussions- also NYT has some nice articles on the history.

But in a nutshell, Georgia is a sorta kinda pro-West nominal democracy led by a man who is known as a hothead. Georgia very much wants to be in NATO, which Russia opposes. Anyway, two border republics of Georgia, which are of mixed ethnic heritage, have been in a political limbo for about 15 years now. Although still claimed by Georgia, they were defacto occupied by Russian forces. Many in these Republics were not terribly worked up over this, but hyper-nationalistic forces in Georgia were.

For some reason (many dark reasons have been attributed to this including alleged goading from the US), Georgia decided to attempt to reclaim one republic by bombing (allegedly civilian targets) and moving in forces. Russia then responded to what they viewed as aggression by pushing the Georgians out with extreme force, and then continuing on into the undisputed areas where they may or may not have help pat.

Russian motives for this are hotly debated and included cowering the other former Soviet countries into submission, preventing Georgia from joining NATO (which now seems a real bad idea for NATO), and preventing Georgia from developing petroleum pipelines that would cut into Russia's petroleum profits.

That above description is, of course, just one of many interpretations. This is a very, very complex situation.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Trickey Pond: Kim mentioned it yesterday in the Tasmanian Megafauna Boodle

Posted by: omni | August 13, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Also - be sure to check out Gorbachev's column on this in the WaPo for an interesting alternative view. Like I said, many interpretations.

Posted by: RD Paoduk | August 13, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of bullets flying:

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

SCC (of many): "held pat." Pat needs no help.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

um, Kim spelled it Tricky, so maybe she meant Big Tricky Pond.

Posted by: omni | August 13, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Chechnya is right next to all this. I don't know how that figures into any of this mess.

Posted by: Jumper | August 13, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

One more point before I fall blissfully silent.

It is folly to attempt to attribute these events to a single cause. They are a result of many causes. In fact, different players on the same side seem to have different and wildly contradictory motivations. So be suspicious of anyone who tries to fit this into a simple narrative. Reality is Messy.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hi all.

omni - no, I meant Trickey Pond, just forgot about the tricky spelling. (It's a good thing when you can crack yourownself up sometimes.)

Tim - we were in a cabin across the lake from the camp and frequently kayaked near their swimming area. They had some huge bubble like slide into the lake that looked way fun. The lake really was incredibly clear and the whole area completely idyllic. Lobster roll, YUM!

Posted by: Kim | August 13, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

In northern states (and Canada) the GWOT is called the "Global War on Tourism".

NATO and the United States may not do much, but some of the ex-Soviet republics may want to help the Georgians.

Posted by: Lart from Above | August 13, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Jumber - Chechyna was a horribly brutal example of what happens when a region tries to rip itself away from Russia. Again, much unspeakable nastiness on both sides. I think it shows that Russia is not going to tolerate losing more real estate - no matter what.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

SCC Jumper. Sorry for that. Typing too fast.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RD, that was a nice summary. I'd provide you some compensation for that but fear that it may be frowned upon.

ftb, with an invitation like no wonder you're all still friends.

Jumper, cheer up. Your neighbourhood will be clear in no time. *breaking into song*

The trash’ll be gone
de morro
Bet your bottom dollar
That de morro
They'll pick up!

Just thinkin' about
de morro
will clear away the sidewalks
in your borough
'Til there's none!

Posted by: SonofCarl | August 13, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

World War s-o-m-t-h-i-n-g:

Mr. Achenback was about to say that the Russians were now occupying Norway, and that Richard Holebrooke had advised President Obama that they, the Russians, should be pushed back to Outer Mongolia. Makes sense to me. We arms manufacturers have mouths to feed and making war assures gelt.

After the Russians were pushed out of Georgia, and Putin hung
for war crimes, the persecuted Oligarchs, under Putin's pogrom,
returned to Russia via George Soros Airlines, and are now employed managing the oil works. Former President Bush is writing his memoir: 'Greater Than Alexander.'

World War s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g is now a classic course for
aspiring money managers. And Israel per undisputed biblical grant is now developing the Euphrates valley for workers from
the former lands that were named, Gaza, Lebanon and Syria.

Projecting tomorrow is what Mr. Achenbach is fetching. Give it
a try, but watch the slant.

Posted by: 3rd-Party Advocate | August 13, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Um. Huh?

Posted by: PlainTim | August 13, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good, something even more cryptic than my worst posts. But I sort of liked it.

Beware the pageview imps, Joel. My MSM relative decided to run a little blog thing about a Confederate Memorial and all hell broke loose. Talk about things coming out of the woodwork.

Posted by: Jumper | August 13, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

That is fabulous. Fabulous! Made my day.

Posted by: Yoki | August 13, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

slyness - should i do a costco run? do we have enough toilet paper and milk in the bunker?

kim - it is a SIN to desecrate the wonderful lobster with mayo and bread! a SIN i say! lobster rolls are the devil's work!

Posted by: mo | August 13, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Okay good. I thought I was the only one who didn't get it.

Posted by: Aloha | August 13, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I've been running it through BabelFish in various languages and then back into English. No luck so far, though I remain hopeful.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 13, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Would you even try and run Jabberwocky through Babelfish, Mudge?

Just let it be, and enjoy like you would the "solitary esophagus on still wing."

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

And Aaifa Siddiqui is under custody and believed a danger (MIT graduate, neuroscientist).

Again, no word about who did the shooting at Arkansas Democratic HQ.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, the truth is much more complex, and not to the credit of our government.

Last week, she finally showed up in court, with a bullet wound (after an attempted escape, apparently).

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

And I kilt the boodle with overhogging. My bad.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Darn good stuff you scored there 3rdPA. Where did you get it?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 13, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about a third party; Advocate appears to have had quite enough at the first two. Did produce some lovely fiction, though - prose? poetry? humor? A nice string of gibberish, at any rate. I defy most of us to do as well after two parties.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 13, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

To place your secret agent in a high government position, is every intelligence service's dream. Experience in this field has shown that you don't want to place your spy too high as the spymaster may lose control of his agent.

When Rumsfeld and his Neocon buddies decided to expand the Defense Intelligence Agency and bypass the much more experienced CIA, they supported a man called Saakashvili, who after a bloodless coup d'etat became president of Georgia.

Of course, the Neocons are as inept in the intelligence business as they are in conventional warfare. Their man in Tiblisi proved to be an inept grandstander and not so secret agent. With a big mouth, he started trying to do damage to his giant neighbor to the north.. It would appear that his handlers lost control over Saakashvili.

Invading Ossetia and killing Russian peacekeepers and over two thousand civilians was an act of pure madness.

The Pentagon would do well to fire this not so secret agent and have nothing to do with the megalomaniac.

Posted by: Alexey Braguine | August 13, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey mo. I think we're good on TP but you might want to get a package of paper towels. You know, we may have to clean up messes. If they have those big buckets of margarita mix, get a couple. And check out the wine, we're getting low on chardonney and merlot.

Posted by: slyness | August 13, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Message from Galactic Fleet Oservation Post 36XXH58

Flash

President Bush about to launch a War on Terra

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

As I reported from my morning patrol, I saw the Evil One feed Cold War bones to the dogs of war.

Bush has gone totally nuts. I hope Sarkozy will tell Rice to cool it.

Russia has shown great restraint. Do we need more idiots pocking sticks at the bear?

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Off kit, this is soo cool:

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

John McCain's first response, before cooler heads prevailed, was to activate the first wave of propellor biplanes.

Someone had to explain to him that it's a new century.

He promptly responded with a quote about President Putin - who hasn't been President for years ...

Posted by: Will in Seattle | August 13, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The big problem with the Boss'most hysterical headline is that it is not hysterical at all.

Bravo Joel! You are in the lead for raising the alarm of what the Krazies who have infiltrated the good ole USA gummint are plotting to do.

The boodle should take the Kinkaides into the air raid shelter.

Saakashwili is willing to fight to the last American.

Oh, glad to see someone is concerned about wine supplies. I like pinot griglio with my sardines in the shelter stash.

Joel, any lobstah left?

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Steampunk!
http://www.impactlab.com/2008/05/08/steampunk-fashion-going-mainstream/ scroll down for the better pix

Posted by: Jumper | August 13, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Brag, your comments about highly placed secret agents sound good, but I rather suspect we may be looking at it all wrong:

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I got behind on boodling today as a writer was bugging me about Vietnam and my role in our victory there. The future book's author wants me to spill the beans on the secret war in Laos. I promised to tell all about Lily, the malasian sun bear I had in Vientiane.

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod -- I think these guys are double dipping.

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

anymore wine orders? i may need to get one of the flatbed carts!

jumper - that's totally cool!!!! *sigh* if only i could dress like that at work... makes me also wish i were a guy so i could grow all those cool mustaches!

Posted by: mo | August 13, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh mo, you know perfectly well there's plenty of room in the bunker wine cellar, so don't be stingy in your purchases. I'm sure there are funds in Mudge's shop steward account to cover whatever you spend.

There oughter be, considering how much he dings us for coming in the door!

Posted by: slyness | August 13, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Ossetisa for the Ossetians!
Cechnya for the Chechnians
Quebec for the Quebeci...
Beer for me!

Posted by: Boko999 | August 13, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Great post, Boko.
Now, be careful with the brand or type of beer you order.

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

This Ossetia situation is very odd. The more reading on the intertubes you do the murkier it gets.
I mean, I found out that Queen Anne's Lace is edible if you catch it early enough although to find out what else it's good for will take further personal research.
The only thing I've been able to figure out about WWV is that:
Saakashvili is a snake.
Putin is a mongoose.
Bush is an idiot.

Oh yeah. They're all universtiy graduates.
Funny eh?

Posted by: Boko999 | August 13, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Shrieking Denizen, I've been catching equestrian on the Oxygen Channel - not sure if you get that. There was quite a bit available online too, on the NBC Olympics site.

Boko, sorry to hear about your application. Those people don't know who they're missing!

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 13, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

slippery snake strikes
massive mongoose makes snake snack
on to the next round

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Chef, cookbook author, and spy?

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Just as long as nobody figures out the truth about Giada.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Oops.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

An interesting angle for investigative reporters.

Check out amount of money given by Pentagon to Saakashvili and amount of money paid to Georgia lobbyists.

I'm getting fed up with this democratically elect mumbo jumbo. A coup d'etat and rigged elections don't add up to democratically elected anything. The words democracy, democratic should be restricted to proven facts not spluttered about like some sort of idiological gospel.

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod,

I think it was 2 years ago. The French Government awarded 18 Air America/CAT pilots the Legion de Honeur. Even though the ceremony took place in CIA's Langley HQ the US government still refuses to recognize officualy these men's heroic deeds.

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, RD, you just had to tip your hand. I wasn't going to let this become common knowledge, but Giada's dental work is the prototype for panoramic micro video camera implants. There is a 180 degree view of the world every time she smiles.

Posted by: jack | August 13, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Hi Kim, I, er, or you sit corrected.

Still sounds like a great place to be. And that you and *Tim spent time there...

um, I have a vacation coming up...Hmmm

Maybe a Mianus drive by is in order

(ok, TBG, you can stop giggling...NOW!)

Posted by: omni | August 13, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous Haiku, you really need to invent your self and come up with a distinctive handle so we know it's not you submitting the other Anonymous postings.

Posted by: omni | August 13, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

le secret final
child standing tall served nazi
soupe! Bon appétit!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Back in the waning days of the WW3, Spy magazine published a historically accurate tournament bracket of all the wars resulting in a Final Four. Based on their records, the championship game was to be Afghanistan versus Vietnam. The consolation match was US vs Russia. Looks like that game may be tipping off anytime now.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 13, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

And why does anonymous haiku-er always post right before me. It's annoying and suspicious.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 13, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

It's been known for decades -- 3? 4? -- that Julia Child was in the OSS. (As was my ex's father, who acknowledged he was in it but wouldn't tell me what he did. Of course, at the time I wouldn't have told me either.) And there was a book about Moe Berg's exploits out about 10 or 15 years ago. Still, it's good all the names are coming out and these people can finally be acknowledged. Shoulda been done 30 years ago when more of them were alive.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 13, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

...Yello needs to mark
To reclaim yard from trespassers
Spraying haikus there?

Posted by: Wilbrodog | August 13, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying them damn commies is up to no good.

Posted by: Huntsman | August 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Not by me, Mudge, and if I knew, I forgot.

I suppose the dagger lessons were easy for somebody who already could spatchcock fowls.

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

um, to my ear 'child' has two syllabics: chi-ald. but maybe that's just me...

And, don't know French well enough. but 'soupe'

Imposter alert/.,beep*0& woop...woop...woop

Posted by: omni | August 13, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Haiku writer posts
yellojkt blamed for them
just one little sheep...

Posted by: yellojkt | August 13, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Back in May, I read 'Comrade J' by Pete Early about a Russian defector that claimed that at least one of the leaders of a breakaway republic was on the KGB payroll while a head of state. It seems you have to have some cloak and dagger credentials to even be allowed on the ballot.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 13, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that Julia Childs was involved with the OSS has been known for a long time. Check out this cookbook:

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 13, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Ralph in a Pinto
rear ended by a Corsair
spring summer autumn

WOW, that is nasty, but i think it is my best yet

Posted by: 1999 winter's lament | August 13, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

is 3PA related to 3PO?

robot diplomat
C the significance of
flowers for Androids

Posted by: omni | August 13, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Omni, I can't say much about Chi-ald, but soupe is indeed French and it is said "soop" much like soup.

French spelling bears very little resemblence to modern pronunciation; generally consonants are clipped off the ends of words and the vowels are nasalized or inflected instead of saying the terminal consonant, unless it ends with a R.

So, "court" in the french pronunciation is "Kur" not "kurt"

And Coup= coo, no rhyme with soup.

Soupe= soop, rhyme with soup. Soupe du jour is sooop du zhoor

Coup d'etat is : coo day to (to like the o in "mop").

So I say the haiku syllable count is good, pending a vote on whether you say Julia Child's last name with a diphthong, or just the "eye" of "i"

Posted by: Wilbrod | August 13, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Good night Boodlers, I am off to an energetic sleeping exercise.

Posted by: Brag | August 13, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

After 3 nights of staying up late to watch meteors,It will be nice to get to sleep at a reasonable hour,like 1-1:30.

Brief shower tonight at work,I hope home got some too

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 13, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hic
House/dog sitting my sister's place/dog.
She left me a case o' beer, a fridge o' food and in the clutches of her reprobate suburban neighbours. What is a poor country boy to do? These Ottawa sophistocats are just too much for me although I must admit I'm enjoying the high speed intertubes and the dogs (Buddy999 and Cody) have been having fun visiting up and down the street.
Thanks ml.
Oh yeah. She gets cable so I got to see Lou Dobbs and that Donohue guy from the American Phalangists.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 13, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Pretty piece on teaching evolution by Ms. Judson. A glancing blow at Bush administration policies makes it kinda on kit too.

Posted by: DNA Girl | August 13, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmm
Olivia

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

This is why reporters should stay out of blogging.

Posted by: Dan | August 13, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Merkins. I bet none of your Commander in Chiefs ever wrote a spy novel.
Well, one of ours did and except for (because of?) the anti-semitism, general bigotry, all round awfullness, and ridiculous improbability it was a great sucess.
So there. 39 times.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 13, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Hi DNA Girl. The contempt for evidence is rampant.

Posted by: Boo999 | August 13, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Hi boodle. Depressing day. Just checking in to see what y'all had to say about Georgia. I have quite a bit of background reading to do before I can say anything about the situation worth typing. However, from what little I do know about Georgia and Russia, and the great deal more I know about our administration, this scares me more than the tara threat and the worthless GWOT.

Toodles. I will numb my brain with the Olympics on CBC. I hope they get ratings credit for all the merkins who prefer the Canuckistani perspective on the games.

Posted by: frostbitten | August 13, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Boko999! That sounds like the perfect Canadian vacation. Beer, suburbs, dogs and cable (CRTC-controlled, of course) and, well, beer.

Posted by: Yoki | August 14, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Just 'fess up, yellojkt. Teasing is sort of, um, kinda, well... unsatisfying.

What I don't understand is that you want acknowledgment for your puppets, but you don't admit to them until (horrors!) somebody else is credited. Why?

I find Boko999 much more amusing, because he takes a leap of faith but always signals it is he. Excellent!

Posted by: Yoki | August 14, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Lotsa beer! Hi Yoki!
My Sis even left me 50 bucks for gas which was sweet of her but unnessaca.. unesassar...silly. I got a good one.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 14, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

hahaha! *Guffaw*

Posted by: Yoki | August 14, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I keep hearing about Georgian sovereignty but precious little about the self determination of the Ossetians(and those Aski-guys). I'm aware that the Russians don't really give a rat's behind about the wishes of an indigenous population (see Cechnya) and are playing some geo-politcal game (see Kissinger) but as someone who's given a bit of thought to the importance of self government (see Quebec) I'm glad the Russians intervened and knocked back Georgian aggression in Ossetia.
U.N. sanctioned referendums all round please.

Posted by: Boko999 | August 14, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

"I view the South as just another group screwed by the US government"- George Carlin
Alabama for the Alabamians!

Posted by: Boko999 | August 14, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I watched Oxygen tonight - Federer vs Berdych, dressage, gymnastics wrapup (including Mary Carillo and Bela Karolyi, who I get a kick out of) - perfect. I missed the women's competition last night - caught just the end on CBC, tried to watch on NBC but could not stay up that late. I've been watching the men's all around on CBC - but I've been dozing off so will have to give it up. Really prefer the CBC coverage.

I haven't figured out what is going on in Georgia, just that a lot of people are caught in a terrible situation. Mr Ml says it's all about oil - again.

Posted by: mostlylurking | August 14, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Yadda yadda yadda

Posted by: Boko999 | August 14, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

"And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone. What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by, the dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?"

Sterling Hayden, the loveable old commie symp, former OSS man. It seems I read that long ago in Wanderer.

Posted by: Jumper | August 14, 2008 5:14 AM | Report abuse

Yoki,
The game I'm now playing is tormenting the people that think I am AH with red herrings without actually becoming AH. (I may have published one anonymously, but it was pretty transparent and the rest have been signed.) It's a pretty silly game because I really doubt anyone is playing along. You just can't prove a negative.

For all we know there is more than one AH. I'd be more than happy to admit if I were one, but somebody else is either planting seeds or others are not watching the clues. I have my top 5 suspects, but I'm not making wild guesses. Mostly because I don't really care. I just find it amusing some think I have that skill set. My haikus really suck. Honest.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 14, 2008 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, Boko, whereja get that pile of crap in your 1:31 post? Sheesh. (although not badly written, I must say, despite the erratic capitalization.)

'Morning, Boodle.

I'M ON VAY-KAYYYYYYYYYYYY-SHUN! OK, sorry, didn't mean to rub it in.

Jumper, you up early or not gone to bed yet?

Not much on the front page this morning. E.J. Dionne's piece has a good teaser -- Is it the Clinton's Party or Obama's?" -- but doesn't deliver on it. (And the on-going lack of a copy editor missed capitalizing "It.")

Can't find any mention of Phelps-- did he do anything last night?

(Yawn) I don't think my wife's gonna let me sleep in. She had her suitcase packed last night, and is chafing at the bit, so I better go. Will check in from time to time from Philly and the Joisey shore.

Brag, try not to keep coming back to the field with tree branches stuck in your landing gear. The ground crew are starting to complain.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | August 14, 2008 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

Don't know anything that happened in the competition past about 9:00 PM last night, but the little we watched was the men's sycronized diving and women's cycling. The Chinese divers were incredible as was the USA female cyclist who won first place. "I love winners when they cry" I thought as I watched her weep in the arms of her man after her win, wonderful!

I have come to dread Bush & Cheney, unfortunately to the extent that I have no idea if his "humanitarian aid" will do anything other than just make matters worse. I can hardly wait for him and his administration to be gone. On that note, it's great that Mark Warner will be Tuesday's key note speaker for the democratic national convention. He's no great shakes as a speaker, but I do like him as a young, intelligent man who will be our next US Senator from VA. For those not familiar with him,

might be helpful.

Enjoy your vacation 'mudge', you will be missed. Boko, so sorry about the application you worked so hard on, maybe there will be a better job coming up soon.

(No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
I do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have
been inconvenienced)

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 14, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Meetings all morning. Only thing I watched last night is women's beach volleyball.

But I did watch it quite closely.

Posted by: RD Padouk | August 14, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Bonjour les Boodleurs.

Just landed after overflying The Evil One's kennels. He is still feeding Cold War treats for his dogs of war.

Pretty decent news coverage today in NYT as journalists begin covering the Russian Army.

Though, today's editorial in the northern rag reminded me too much of the days before our guys shockanawed across the Iraqi border.

Posted by: Brag. | August 14, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Phelps did not have any races last night.

Tried to stay up to watch the Canada/US women's softball team but fell asleep and when I woke up it was 1-0 for Canada but one the 1st inning and the game was in rain delay.

Morning all

Posted by: dmd | August 14, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Buenos tacos, all...

Very interesting program on C-SPAN2 at the moment... Little acronym-heavy, though. ;-)

My grandfather spoke of some OSS activities, but I never asked him about Julia, dangit. :-)

*flying-a-little-high-cover-for-the-Dawn-Patrol-and-'Mudge's-trip Grover waves*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 14, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, everybody!

MY body is protesting the use I put it to yesterday. Jeez, I painted the half-bath, just because I was up and down the step ladder and on the floor painting behind the toilet and sink doesn't mean I should be sore this morning! This is the part about getting old that stinks.

The bathroom went from a very dull white to PINK. Dunno if I'll be able to live with the color. It's so hard to tell from a little square at Lowe's what a room will be like. However, I used all of half a quart of paint and can do it again if I decide I don't like it.

Have a pleasant vacation, Mudge. Philly and Jersey, huh? Hope you have a restful time, not a strenuous one.

Cassandra, did your area get a lot of rain? How about your side of town, Jumper? I poured nine-tenths of an inch out of the rain gauge. Not bad, considering the forecast called for half an inch.

Posted by: slyness | August 14, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. This is a quick dropping by, can't stay long, I have a doctor's appointment this morning.

Mudge, enjoy your vacation, and does this mean you don't do work?

Slyness, we got so much rain, although I don't know how much, but it rained all day long, and part of the evening. It's all good. Take a nice long bath to ease some of that soreness.

Martooni, Scotty, good morning guys. Morning to all.*waving*

I agree with you RD, about the situation in Georgia. These folks don't really change, they hide. And why in the world would the President from Georgia make the kind of move he made. Didn't he think this giant would at least yawn? It a contest, and you guys know what kind, right?

Have a great day, folks. I'm dreading this trip this morning, but need to go. The revival is going great even though I can't hear two words of what is being said.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cassandra s | August 14, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Your Chuckie K Synopsis:

We should boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics until Russia withdraws from Georgia.

Because that worked so well last time.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 14, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't really looking for a lesson in French pronunciation Wilbrod. Just trying to tease our Anonymous Haiku poster into using a handle.

Soupe du Jour: French Onion

Though I was serious about the child pronunciation. chi-uld is more like what I hear than chi-ald...

Posted by: omni | August 14, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

slyness,
You are a victim of the old rule that "there is no such thing as cross-training". When young and presumably quite fit, I couldn't climb (or worse, descend) a mountain without paying for it.

These days, pulling weeds has much the same effect. Or rearranging the garage.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 14, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Morning all! Had a pleasant night with old friends over for dinner. Who would have thought we could spend a mid-August evening comfortably on the deck out back?

omni... it's more like "chald" once you get a little farther south than here. One syllable, although I'm like you and pronounce it with two... chi-yuld.

Posted by: TBG | August 14, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh, you are sooo right, Dave. Amazingly, what's most noticeable is the lower back. I can feel the vertebrea

Posted by: slyness | August 14, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

SCC: I can feel the vertebrae moving when I shift.

Posted by: slyness | August 14, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Vintage Lady, I really liked what you said about the electrons. Very 'cute.

Posted by: kbertocci | August 14, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Morning all. Getting ready for a conference call in about just shy of 10 minutes.

Today happens to be my father's 100th birthday -- now, don't get all excited, 'cause he died going on 24 years ago. But it is a milestone, nevertheless. I've been thinking about it now and again all year, as I knew it was coming. I decided to take a friend out to dinner for her birthday (it was in April -- our gang takes its own sweet time to celebrate each other's birthdays) at a little French bistro relatively nearby. My dad and I had a stormy relationship (to say the least), but there were good times, too, so I think it's fitting to celebrate the centennial, dontcha think?

Have a good day, all, no matter in which time zone you find yourselves.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | August 14, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

My wife said she new we were back in the South when we heard "now" pronounced as too syllables.

At dinner in Atlanta, I asked for "iced tea" and the waitress asked if I was a Yankee because only Yankees ask for "iced". In the South that is assumed. That was before I even specified "unsweet".

Posted by: yellojkt | August 14, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

no name no base game
drawn by light laughter not flame
nor fame just fleeting

Posted by: sigh...AH...ok? | August 14, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

kb, feel free to use it if you like...not an original...lifted from a friend's email.

yello, and did you all enjoy your red eye gravy over biscuits & ham with your grits on the side this morning? Apples fried in sausage drippings work well, too, right start for the day :-0.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 14, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

the time stamp absolves
unless you are or are not
a cat in a box

Posted by: AH :-) | August 14, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Whoever you are, I wouldn't go around calling yourself AH. Those initials stand for a certain compound word in my house. And the second half's not "hat."

Posted by: TBG | August 14, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

We did eat at an Atlanta institution called Mary Mac's where such items are offered. I had a baked chicken with mac&cheese and fried apples as "vegetables". Delicious.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 14, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Phelps did have a race last night--a qualifying heat, which moved him to the finals. I consider getting in the water and moving like a bat out of he!! to be a race.

Interesting to note that Jospeh Stalin began fomenting revolution in Russia's Oil Regions, his repeated (he'd get thrown in jail, then return--repeat cycle several times) activities based in Baku. And certainly there was tremendous unrest in these regions 100 years ago because of egregious labor practices, such as 14-hour days, mixed with anti-Semitism against the dominating oil barons: the French Rothschilds and the Brit Sir Marcus Samuel and his extensive, though somewhat haphazard, family-run oil operations. Pearlstein's column about the new pipeline (and other proposed pipelines) makes more sense to me than other reporting about the conflict that I've read, given Europe's dependence on oil and gas from Russia and the areas of the Black and Caspian seas. Alexey has a fascinating take, too.

If we're talking birthdays of the dead, on Aug. 4, Obama (very much alive) celebrated his 47th birthday, on what would have been my mother's 94th, which means that Obama was born on my mother's 47th birthday.

Posted by: Loomis | August 14, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Florida National Guard rescued from hot camp in Texas:

Quote:

"They need to stop saying troops need to be able to endure," the Florida Guard's commanding general, Doug Burnett, said on Wednesday. "That's complete crap. I know they're going to Iraq, and I know it sucks over there. But the soldiers don't need to suffer unnecessarily."

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | August 14, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

And the results are in...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 14, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

TBG, I predict it's only a matter of time before someone in your house says "A.H." and you think to yourself, "what, Anonymous Haiku-ist?"

Posted by: kbertocci | August 14, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Loomis I am completely confused with the time/day switches. I watched last nights swimming live (last night in China), the CBC commenters mentioned that he was not swimming for a medal and I do not recall him in a heat.

But I note that he swam this morning in a heat. The heats at night, finals in the morning are also throwing me off.

I am not American but really pulling for Phelps, regardless of country he is an incredible athlete and worthy of all the praise he is receiving.

Did not mean any offense by my post.

Posted by: dmd | August 14, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Glory be, yeller (southernspeak for yello), haven't seen Salmon Croquettes on a menu since 1956! And pot likker? Doubt many people reading this even know what it is! I read the history and the dinner menu at MaryMac's, what a treasure!! You walked the walk of Lipitor heaven. In the South, we fried everything, if it held still long enough to grab it. Now, must say that shrimp & grits IS delicious, and while in The Big Easy, the Hurricane was my drink of choice.

Posted by: Vintage Lady | August 14, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

This Phelps guy needs his exercise.
The Times detailed his daily intake:

"Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelette. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise on white bread, plus 1,000 calories of energy drinks.

Dinner: One pound of pasta, an entire pizza and even more energy drinks."

I would take 200 pounds a year on that calorie intake.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | August 14, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

In the U.S.A.
National Creamsicles Day.
Epsicle Ice Pop.

Posted by: omni | August 14, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Shriek, when I was swimming I loved that I could eat as much as I wanted, my oldest brother teased my sister and I all the time on all the food we would eat. Sadly I never learned to taper off when I quit training.

I could never be part of a sport where you need to diet.

Posted by: dmd | August 14, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

GWTW part III: Arriving at Tara, Scarlett finds the house in ruins, the crops burned, her mother dead, her father demented, and her two sisters sick with typhoid.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

dmd, don't forget last night was this morning, if you know what I mean.

I know CBC is live, because when you watch the CBC coverage during the days times, it is darn awful and the C list commentators and hosts appear. At night, you get the A list. Ron McLean is doing a bang up job.

Shreiking, there is equestrian coverage on Bold, the CBC digital channel. This irks me endlessly because it is CBC, funded by tax payers, and thus should be open and available to all. The company should decide if they are a public broadcaster or if they are private and ought to stop behaving as if they can be both.

Posted by: dr | August 14, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

new kit and sorry about the CBC rant.

Posted by: dr | August 14, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

New kit with a pretty picture!

Posted by: Kim | August 14, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

They are also streaming Bold and other channels on the internet. So it is free.

Posted by: dmd | August 14, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse