Palin Unleashed

Big night tonight for McCain's pick. See the Cillizza scene-setter. Sarah Palin will take some direct shots at Obama's qualifications. Excerpts already released by the GOP. Here's one:

"I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town. I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids' public education better. When I ran for city council, I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too. Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."

Pretty good line, though feels like a stretch (she was a small town mayor 2 years ago and Obama was a community organizer about 20 years ago, roughly).

She zings the dastardly news media: "I've learned quickly, these past few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

But she WILL be welcome to come to my house for a BBQ, just for the record (I need help grilling the moose).

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 3, 2008; 7:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred on Fire
Next: The Next American Idol!!!

Comments

first?

Posted by: bh | September 3, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

JA: are you really willing to eat Bullwinkle burgers?
Eeeeeewwwwh!

Posted by: Dmon | September 3, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

A Møøse once bit my sister. I'll be barbecuing for revenge.

Posted by: byoolin says, "This time it's personal. And medium-rare." | September 3, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Ideally we should interpret Palin's speech using the same criteria we used for the Dems. That is, keeping in mind that a convention is supposed to be all about energizing the base. And I have no doubt she will do this.

But here's the thing. Normally we aren't using a convention to get to know a VP candidate. Normally we have a serious track record to base our impressions on. (Dan Q excepted.) In this case all we have is her ability to read a speech. That and, I guess, how she looks under hot lights.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 3, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy were caught with open mikes with Chuck
Todd on MSNBC.

Apparently they don’t think much of the vp choice.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | September 3, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Um...did you guys see this Howie Kurtz story? A McCain aide is going ballistic over a story in the National Enquirer that says Palin had an extramarital affair with a fisherman friend of her husband.

Incredibly scurrilous -- but it almost doesn't matter. It's out there now. And the more they deny it, the more it gets repeated. Jeez.

And defenders point out the Enquirer got the John Edwards story right.

It's all just surreal. Like a Fellini script.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 3, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

At least we have something to talk about. Admit it, nobody expected that from the Republican convention.

About that 1 billion the Secretary of State has promised to rebuild Georgia, presumably with W's blessing: why can't the gummint see its way to invest 1 billion in rebuilding the U.S.? Our infrastructure is crumbling hourly, the banking and housing crisis has not abated, and let's not talk about the as-yet-not-rebuilt New Orleans. Why is it okay to spend a lot of money rebuilding a country we didn't even invade but not okay to spend that money on ourselves?

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 3, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, IM. The return on a billion invested in on infrastructure would be, ummm...priceless. Lots of people would be working...

Posted by: jack | September 3, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

The second comment under the Howie Kurtz story is hilarious...

//Now might be a mighty good time for John McCain to remind everyone that he was a POW.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 8:06 PM//

Posted by: TBG | September 3, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, Georga is the proposed route of the Black Sea natural gas and oil pipelines that cut Russia out of the deal. That pipeline route is backed by you-know-who oil companies. Why do you think Chenney is over there?

Posted by: bh | September 3, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Georgia

Posted by: bh | September 3, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Just watched last night’s Daily Show ‘cause I fell asleep trying to watch it last night. It was excellent, especially the piece about the delegates being stranded at the convention center. The Brian Williams interview was hilarious.

I hope some of you are going to watch tonight, again, without a supply of soft objects to throw at the tv, I dare not chance it. Especially after reading those excerpts from Palin’s speech - ugh!

Oh Scotty, I hope you’ve had a Happy Birthday. I am sorry I couldn’t wish it sooner but you know I can’t Boodle from work. Now I’m off to make stuff out of tomatoes and cukes. The granddaughters loved my pickles, so maybe I’ll make more of them.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | September 3, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many times Guillianni will mention 9/11.
I guestimate 8.

Posted by: Boko999 | September 3, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

This whole thing is just surreal. I'm sure Peggy Noonan just said what a lot of people in that convention believe. But what choice do they have? I mean, these are the Party Faithful. And Faith sometimes means accepting what your brain cannot comprehend.

So they smile. They wave. They walk up to the collective cup and take a deep, deep sip.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 3, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

You made me laugh Boko, I was wondering this afternoon if there was an overunder on the number of times 9/11 would be used by Guiliani.

Posted by: dmd | September 3, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

If there's an over/under pool, I'll take 10.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 3, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

FYI, I'm watching one of my favorite movies (favorite books as well), "The Last Hurrah," great flick for a convention night, and was pleasantly surprised by a scene featuring the hero, young Jeffrey Hunter talking to a parish priest played by Ken Curtis. The last time I remember seeing them face to face was in "The Searchers"; Curtis played hick/redneck/country singer Charlie McCorry. Many of you may rememeber him better as Festus Hagen on Gunsmoke. But seeing him as an Irish priest in Boston was a kick.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 3, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

mudge,

I don't need you or anybody else lecturing me on the culture of the military aviator. My father served over twenty-five years in the Air Force as an F-4 pilot including tours of duty in Vietnam, the Philippines, Korea, and Aviano. I grew up in and around squadron rooms. I have met my father's friends who were POWS.

It is no dishonor to crash or get shot down. How you react under stress is the measure of a true pilot. When my dad was giving me flying lessons, he drilled into me that a good pilot is always anticipating emergencies and planning what to do if one occurred.

Twice I referenced a WaPo article that knowing what I know about the military, I found very revealing about McCain's character.

In the article Michael Leahy details five incidents involving McCain and his aircraft. First off, he was as indifferent to his pilot training as he was to his studies at the Academy where he graduated fifth from the bottom:

///McCain's fun compensated for his desultory performance in the air, where he had been judged at best an average pilot. He would not be slotted for the elite air units like the fighter jocks. ///

He crashed his first plane in flight school. No dishonor. Those are the accidents you train for.

///Working on his landings one day, he felt his engine die and, within seconds, was plummeting into the Corpus Christi Bay. Momentarily knocked out when his plane struck the water, he regained consciousness just in time to escape from the cockpit and be rescued. ///

But while on assignment in Spain he caused an incident that could have killed himself or innocent civilians.

///After completing flight training and being deployed to the Mediterranean, he was flying over southern Spain one day when he decided to have some fun. He dropped very low, engaged in "daredevil clowning," as he later described it. Unable to see power lines ahead, he knocked them down, cutting off electricity to homes in the area and creating "a small international incident," he later wrote.///

He lost his second plane also to an engine failure.

///Late in 1965, McCain encountered another near-disaster when his engine quit while he was flying from Philadelphia to Norfolk after an Army-Navy football game. He ejected and safely landed on a beach as the plane crashed into trees.///

His next incident wasn't his fault, but it was a tragic accident nonetheless.

///He had already completed five missions when, in July 1967, while sitting in his cockpit on the carrier Forrestal, a missile was accidentally launched from another aircraft on the Forrestal and struck McCain's A-4E Skyhawk attack jet. McCain escaped his burning aircraft by climbing out of the cockpit and scurrying down the jet's nose, until he jumped to temporary safety. But in the next minute, the fire ignited a bomb beneath the plane. The ensuing conflagration killed 134 sailors. McCain had shrapnel buried in his chest and thighs. ///

And of course we have heard of his famous last mission:

///Less than four weeks later, on Oct. 26, as he flew over Hanoi on his 23rd bombing mission, a surface-to-air missile blew off the right wing of his plane. He floated toward a lake in a parachute, his pursuit of command terminated for the indefinite future. ///

I have seen that lake. The Vietnamese have a large plaque commemorating that spot. I couldn't bring myself to go into the Hanoi Hilton where they keep McCain's cell on display. I did see the giant pile of scrap metal from shot-down planes the Vietnamese keep in front of their military history museum.

The Air Force Museum in Dayton has a harrowing display of relics from North Vietnamese prisons including clothes and personal effects of McCain. I thank God that my father who had over 100 missions over North Vietnam did not meet that fate, but instead returned to raise me and his other children while staying faithful to his wife for forty-five years.

Surviving as a POW takes great will and heroism, but that does not erase the fact that McCain was an indifferent student, an insubordinate officer, and a reckless pilot.

That's my opinion alone. My father is a big supporter of McCain and would probably disagree with and dispute my assessment.

I've said my piece. Feel free to continue to patronize me at will.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 3, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

dbG, if you are around check your email for a special thank you from a very happy young Canadian Obama supporter and proud owner of a lovely set of earrings.

Hugs!

Posted by: dmd | September 3, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

It looks like whataKrockhammer's head has indeed exploded from cognitive dissonance.

Posted by: DNA Girl | September 3, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

perhaps it is me but it doesn't seem like Romney is going over that well - and who are the big liberals he wants to throw out of Washington?

Nut bar IMHO

Posted by: dmd | September 3, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

DNA Girl, that doesn't surprise you, does it?

Posted by: slyness | September 3, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Can't the reps come up with one speaker that makes you think "wow, I bet he/she is going places" or "wow, where have they been hiding that shining light?" I know, I'm predisposed to not like any of them, but I can still be surprised now and again.

David Brooks is opining on PBS that Romney is positioning himself as a right wing heir apparent after McCain crashes and burns (paraphrasing). I'm wondering why the LDS doesn't have televangelists because Romney sure looks like he'd be wildly successful. BTW, for those not watching, Romney suggested the current SCOTUS is too liberal.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

So far tonight, the convention has been so yawn inducing I'm not sure I can make it to 10:30 and Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Shiloh | September 3, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Palin said she did not need focus grousps to run for mayor, she knew the people. Well, why not, what were there, 50 voters in the whole town? Face it, there are more people in Obama's Chicago neighborhood than in Wasilla, Alaska. Heck, there are more people in Chicago than in all of Alaska. So we're supposed to be impressed by a small town mayor, small state (in populace) governor whose state gets most of its revenue from oil companies. Ask the other 49 governors if what they could do with all those millions.

Posted by: stryker | September 3, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Lieberman would have been a better VP choice for McCain. I don't think Sarah Palin will appeal to the PUMA's because of her conservative social views, and what else does she bring? If I were an undecided voter, I wouldn't be impressed, and as a woman, I'd probably be really insulted. Like Mudge says, she will rally the base, but she won't bring in women.

Believe me, I'm not complaining, just analyzing. I just pray that the ballots in Palm Beach County are properly designed and easy to mark.

Posted by: slyness | September 3, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee has finally approached the proper noun (McCain), verb, POW, portion of his speech. Call me cynical, but I'd really like to know what shape McCain's first marriage was in when he volunteered for the assignment that got him shot down (he could have gone home). Let's just say I've worked with more than one aviator who made a phone call like this "Oh baby, I don't know how I got these orders for (insert name of remote tour here)." Which came after the phone call to the assignments officer "Can't you get me somewhere unaccompanied?" (Unaccompanied=unencumbered by family)

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

yellowjkt, you are right. Mccain got where he did because his dad and granddad were admirals. He was only offered an early out by the Vietnamese because of his father. While I salute him for his surviving his captivity, there were hundreds of other POWs in the same boat, some there a lot longer (John Stockdale was in 9 years and madea admiral after he got out). Most of them never bring up the subject, but went on with their lives and didn't make their time as POWs the central theme of their lives. I won't salute mccain's phony honor about refusing to leave Hanoi before the others. Had he taken the option, he would have been considered a coward and a traitor by the other POWs and kicked out of the service upon his return. Most likely, his admiral father would have disowned him. He certainly would not have been a presidential candidate or any other candidate. Somehow it appears that being a POW is all he has, as witness to enjoying his notoriety in Ho Chi Minh City. Are there plaques to any other American POWs there or just him?

Posted by: mike l | September 3, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The Ron Paul contingent is of course not being well served by "their" party nor the media this evening.

Posted by: Jumper | September 3, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"only offered early release because of his father" is part of the McCain myth.

Philip Butler, a fellow USNA grad and POW wrote in his commentary "Why I Will Not Vote for John McCain"

"John was offered, and refused, 'early release.' Many of us were given this offer. It meant speaking out against your country and lying about your treatment to the press. You had to 'admit' that the U.S. was criminal and that our treatment was "lenient and humane.' So I, like numerous others, refused the offer. This was obviously something none of us could accept. Besides, we were bound by our service regulations, Geneva Conventions and loyalties to refuse early release until all the POW's were released, with the sick and wounded going first."

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

SCC-I should have mentioned Butler's commentary was first discovered by another boodler, Mudge perhaps.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

The more I learn about how the young John McCain used family connections for advancement and his professional, and personal conduct the more I think that he got shot down just in time.

Posted by: Boko999 | September 3, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm thinking Linda Lingle is what passes for a shining light at the RNC. In fact, I think she'd have made a better choice for VP. Guess she doesn't have any offspring headed to Iraq.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I agree, I really thought if McCain was going for a woman governor, Linda Lingle, the governor of Hawaii would have been a better choice. But she's divorced and Jewish, and childless by choice.

Posted by: Wilbrod | September 3, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

mudge,

That article on McCool is fascinating. Truly the Right Stuff. You need to submit it to Weingarten as an aptonym.

mike l,

The lake that McCain crashed in is just outside of downtown Hanoi in the middle of what is now an office park. The road is pretty much on the main drag in from the airport. I think he is singled out in particular because he is famous and it happened pretty much right in the city.

The aforementioned military museum's scrap pile included the entire wing of a B-52. I kept a blog about my trip to Vietnam and while I have pictures of other parts of the museum, I wrote an entry on why I would not take pictures of relics that commemorated dead or captured US servicemen.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 3, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Lingle is also pro-choice so of course she couldn't be picked.

Sounds like Rudy is actually going to be able to keep this about McCain, but he's heading early into the POW narrative.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I probably will be compelled to watch Palin's speech. I've been calling her Miss Moose. And having soft things to throw at the TV is a good idea!

Happy 48th, Vintage Lady and Gentleman!

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 3, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I am thoroughly disgusted by Giuliani's performance tonight at the GOP Convention. As if there is something wrong with being a 'community organizer.' I may throw up! I hate this kind of personal attack. Let's talk about the issues, not the person.

Ugh!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Rudy has opened the door to attack politics. Obama-Biden should feel free to excoriate the McCain political record and lack of executive experience.

Posted by: Shiloh | September 3, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

What a pig!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice picture of NYC in the background, i repeat Maggie's Pig and a few other nasty words.

I can't even find anything else on to watch.

Posted by: dmd | September 3, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Here's 9-11, I can't believe it took him so long.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Those pictures of Helen Lake are gorgeous. Exactly where is it? Google led me to Lake Helen, Florida, which can't be right.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 3, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I just want to add that I've eaten moose burgers and bites while visiting with family in rural Maine. I helped prepare it, thinking it was potent hamburger (Maine style)...then the family member who bagged it was heartbroken that I didn't want to try it. I don't eat meat. Anyway, I ate a whole bite of the stuff. If Sarah P's anything like that meat, she ought to hold up real well. Tough, but tasty, even for a vegie sort.

Posted by: lisa h. | September 3, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't little Trig make a great prop? The only person I haven't seen hold him is his mother.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Giuliani seems to agree that, as long as you aren't a plane I guess, you would be safe in John McC's hands. He's not talking about family values, I don't know why. Terrorist, 9/11, AlQaida and all that. And oh, drill baby drill.

Huckabee wants cheap gas and keep waging the war against good governance.

Cindy McCain is holding the little Trig (cute little guy BTW). What have they done with their adopted daughter?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

What am I missing? Rudy must be in rare form. Details please.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | September 3, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Maggie O'D, you forgot. This election isn't about issues, it is about personalities and what the voters think personally about each candidate. That's what McCain's campaign manager said yesterday and it appears, from y'all's comments, to have introduced tonight's theme. Thanks again for watching for me, the guys won't even let me throw soft things at the tv.

Yello, thanks for that comment about fighter pilots and McCain.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 3, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh great, I switch to Canuckistani TV for a little respite and what do we have but a Fifth Estate documentary on our nut job gun culture. No one can make us look more stupid and bloodthirsty than earnest Canadian journalists.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks-so far Rudy has equated Obama's Ivy League education with "eastern elitism," as did Romney. He delivers most of his lines about Obama with a sneering, condescending, look that Maggie nailed with her "What a pig!" comment. However, I think he's looking very much like a fruit bat tonight, which is an insult to bats everywhere.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, look it's Giuliani at the RNC.

Why do I want to start chanting "Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!"? (Will they let the kid play?)

That video backdrop of the NY harbor with Rudy appearing about four in. tall is making me look around for Dramamine.

As pointed out earlier, if being an American Hero makes one suitable for being President or VP, what's Steve Rogers (aka Captain America) doing these days? Or for that matter, William Katt?

(One wonders if this would make a good theme song for the GOP VP candidate...)

"Look at what's happened to me,
I can't believe it myself.
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world,
It should've been somebody else.

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-e-ee.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not - it's just me.

It's like a light of a new day,
It came from out of the blue.
Breaking me out of the spell I was in,
Making all of my wishes come tru-u-ue.

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-e-ee.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not - it's just me."

Rudy's animated here, taking shots at Obama and Biden. Gotta love the talking with his hands, he'd fit right in at the dinner table with my family.

And he'd need to talk a lot with those hands when he's taken to task for wearing all of that pancake makeup.

"How *dare* they?"
Ha ha ha, he's funny.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 3, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

You're right, Trig *is* a great prop in Cindy McCain's hands.

Oh, look, heeeeeeeeeeeere's Sarah!

bc

Posted by: bc | September 3, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Rudi is actually commenting on family values. It's got to be painful for someone estranged from his children.
It seems that McC and Palin will be shaking up Washington, where Republican have been in power for 28 of the last 40 years and where they have nominated 7 of the 9 justices of the SCOTUS. Let me be sceptical.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I am eternally grateful for all of you, my friends, who are watching and commenting so I don't have to. This is the best of all worlds: to know what's going on without having to watch it myself.

Posted by: slyness | September 3, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, considering how few votes Rudy got when he was running, I wonder how much credibility he has even with the Repubs. Then again, if they’ve drunk the kool-aid, it doesn’t matter. Glad I’m not watching, we can’t afford a new tv right now. Why do the Repubs always get so nasty? And how to reconcile that with always talking about God? (Rhetorical questions.)

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | September 3, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Rats, I was hoping as Jim Lehrer rattled off who was sitting with Cindy McCain he'd say "Bristol Palin, and Levi Johnston, the boy who knocked her up," but alas he just said "boyfriend."

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I. Pee-ku
Jewelweed by the beach
Overcast by mossy maples
I salute the peace.

II. Hurry-ku
Gnome on computer.
Hours pass. Gnome still sitting there.
Stare burns holes in gnome.

III. Hai-kout
Leash, vest, puppy eyes
Damp nose under palm, all check
Gnome up-- still uncheck.

IV. Hay-u!

Dog filled with water
Pitcher on floor, forgotten
Both will leak on floor.

V. Hai-stupid!
Teeth shine white with rage
Paws swipe and catch the door knob
See you later.. bad gnome!

Oh that worked at last. BYE!

Posted by: Wilbrodog | September 3, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Someone on the floor even used fiancé when referring to the hockey playing stud muffin. I want to see the engagement ring.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

A friend who has a Down Syndrome baby told me tonight that her baby was having speech, physical, and occupational therapy at THREE WEEKS OLD. How much therapy has Baby Trig had? I haven't seen so much as a wiggle from him.

(I'm sorry if that seems just nasty as hell, so be it. I thinking of the child here.)

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, my friend, it is a pleasure to take this bullet for you. Did Palin really say "a time to campaign, and a time to put America first?" I missed the first couple "a time to..." but she has me humming "to everything turn, turn,turn." Not two minutes in and she brings up being a mother of a soldier. Oh, isn't it convenient he's leaving for Iraq (actually Kuwait since they don't deploy directly to Iraq) on 9-11? Frostdottir's birthday is on 9-11, hmmm, wonder what political hay I could make of that?

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

SCC: I'm thinking.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

"Two decades and 5 children later he's still my guy." Unlike my running mate who ditched his wife for the "brittle cypher."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The 10:40 snark was mine.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

So far, it's sounds like a PTA Council President acceptance speech, and I should know: I'm a two-termer!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I noticed she is really playing up the kids - quite creeping me out.

I have noticed Biden's sons tour has been somewhat played down, or perhaps that is just the view from the distance.

Posted by: dmd | September 3, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Great visual. The youngest Palin daughter just spat on her hand and wiped down Trig's hair.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

She puts her kids right, front and center. Not good, IMHO.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I happened to catch Cindy McCain on The View the last time I visited my favorite twin baby boys. Even though I was much distracted, I was not impressed with Mrs. McCain. She didn't seem to like being on TV, and I have never been fond of bottle blondes.

Posted by: slyness | September 3, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Some woman is being removed by security.
And the liberal MSM are absolute trash, of course.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

dmd-Biden's son is 39 and in the Delaware National Guard. It's a bit more poignant I guess when the soldier is just 19. However, I think the dems can use this to advantage. That would make young Track just 12 when the twin towers fell. And yes, we are still at war with no end in sight.

I'd like to say the Delaware guard rocks. Mr. F had one of their units under his command in Iraq and they were stellar. I visited with them in Delaware before they deployed and many had already been on active duty for 3 years (in late '04) pulling security duties here in the US. After all that family disruption they got sent overseas. That means a lot more to me than following in dad and grand dad's footsteps.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, Sarah had a bit of the 'deer-in-the-headlights' look at the intensity of the National People's Congress-level applause.

She's warming up now, putting her family front and center.

Nice joke she just told: What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?

Lipstick.

She finally got to the bits Joel published above. Doing a little finger wagging while delivering it.

I feel like I've just been disciplined by someone else's Mom. This, of course, will make me want to vote for her. Won't it?

bc

Posted by: bc | September 3, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Aw, f***ing shucks. My plane, my personal chef. Ebay. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

No more vice-presidential motorcade, she'll drive herself apparently. Mind you she's one of those rural driver, she may change her spots once confronted with DC's traffic.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Check for Air Force One on e-bay.
And drill, baby drill.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Now she's gone all foreign policy on us. Eye-raq and Eye-ran indeedy.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I'll giver her props, she hasn't said "my friends" yet, opting instead for "Americans." Just once I'd like to hear someone slip into Colbert's "nation."

She's starting to sound like she's reading, but not thinking, as she speaks.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

SD- I forgot "drill baby drill" from earlier tonight.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

She can pronounce nuclear! Ooooh, she didn't just say "he wants someone to read them their rights." I guess that puts her in the anti-camp when it comes to that technicality we like to call the constitution.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

The speech is pedestrian and the delivery is barely above mediocre at this point. Those are not her words.
Democrats= higher taxes, big gunmint, death taxes, gunmint telling you what to do, more taxes, gunmint picking your pocket, yawn...

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Were the Democrats as nasty last week as the Republicans? I don't think so, but that was last week. I can't remember, but tomorrow is my birthday, and now I'm as old as Mud. (I mean Mudge!)

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Cindy McC is made of polyester and nylon 66.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand to watch the charade tonight but knew I would enjoy the snarky comments here (bravo). Unfortunately for Senator McCain, after tonight the spotlight will be back on him and whatever he stands for (what a shifting set of sand dunes that is). Has anyone ever been elected based upon his (sorry, no her yet) VP pick? No.

I am looking forward to the media getting their heads out of their ***** and focusing on the real problems our country face rather than the moose hunter, her daughter and the other detritus about her life (unless it turns out really juicy, in which case, of course, enquiring minds want to know).

I am bill everything and I approve this post.

Posted by: bill everything | September 3, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I know this is an acceptance speech, but that bit about energy policy was positively kaleidoscopic.

Having said that, now that she's warmed up she seems very well rehearsed and polished.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 3, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Frances McDormond will play her in the movie. (I'm sorry; I'm from Boston.) Forgive me, Bad Sneakers.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, McC was a prisoner of war.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

John McCain's mother looks quite tired. It's a bit cruel to use your 90+ mother as a prop supporting your own vitality.
Some frikking family values from both of them.
Oooh, surprise appearance from the Man himself!

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

She's holding him! His eyes are open!

Wait. Heres McCain; he shouldn't stand next to the First Dude.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I thought Mr. F was watching the speech and waited to the end to call him. In his words "I saw Rudy for about 15 minutes and it was all McCain and POW, so I thought she'd already done hers and he was warming things up for tomorrow night." I guess that tells us how this worked out as television for interested independents. (I say interested, but I doubt undecided. Mr. F never divulges his choice "A secret ballot is what I serve to defend" and all that.)

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I've been watching "Capote" since 10 o'clock. Hadn't seen it before. It's really spectacular. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is unreal, just an amazing performance.

Speaking of spectacular, Wilbrodog, your 10:35 was really something else. Especially number II. Seriously. You need to do something with these things. I am serious.

Has anybody tallied the 911 over/under? Did I win?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 3, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Maggie-That has to be the first time I've seen either of those things.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Maggie, he looks 10 years older standing close to the first dude. Same for the fiancé. That kid is big.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Keith Olbermann just said (I paraphase) people who like things like this will like things like this.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

FYI - Daily Show is very funny tonight!

Posted by: dmd | September 3, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh, look there's Lynn Swann in the audience.

Sarah's family is on stage, and here's a shock, McCain's on to say a few words. Note: Sarah and John did *not* do a fist-bump.

[What's up with the orange tie?]

Er, when I saw this movie last week, the "surprise" guest was a bit more lively. Had something to say, too, rather than point to people in the crowd and give the Big Thumbs Up.

Um, why are they singing the National Anthem at the *end* of the evening. Shouldn't they have done that at the beginning, before they said "Lady and gentlemen, start your engines!"?

bc

bc

Posted by: bc | September 3, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Only one direct 9-11 reference by Rudy, but eleven tangential references to safety, terrorism, terrorists, the enemy, al queda, bin landen, etc.

Posted by: Shiloh | September 3, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I think you lost Mudge. I think he was warned about it the 9/11 thing (the Biden zing scored home). But he said terrists and Islamic extremists at least five times each, so score a moral victory for yourself.
The GOP is not taking the high road BTW, it's going to be a down and dirty campaigné Mrs. Palin is a willing tool of the party as well, sadly.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

SCC campaign.
Sign out.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 3, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

My own qualifications to be VP aside, I do not want an ordinary hockey mom or any other kind of "ordinary" person to be either VP or President. I want someone brighter, harder working, more sensible, and self sacrificing than I. A better education wouldn't hurt either (no offense to any other Fighting Sioux, Governors, or Cavaliers out there).

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

The RNC never changes: uniform crowd, dressed to the nines, portraying the opposition as tax and spend liberals, more concerned with expanding government and taking hard earned dollars from their constituents than solving the Nation's problems. The VP nominee was long on criticism and short on solutions. S squared, D squared. It was noted earlier that two leading conservative commentators were of the opinion that the VP candidate had the potential to sink the ticket; that Florida may be lost. I hope that the strength of the opposition and the predictions of these pundits bear this out.

Posted by: jack | September 3, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Ack, ack, ugh. She says "becuz" - and I hope they can open up her adenoids a bit. Probably the last time I listen to her.

The Democrats are never that nasty, becuz they're Democrats, I guess.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 3, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Once again the boodle is prescient. Jon Stuart just said "she says 'respect my family's ability to make this decision' but vote for me so I can make sure your family can't make that decision." Now Newt is suggesting Jon debate Palin about it (sidestepping the whole, she wants government to make that decision for you thing).

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

David Brooks had the last word on PBS's coverage of the Palin speech- "there's a big policy hole in the Republican platform."

With that I will say toodles boodle, and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

That's it. I'm moving to Canada. If you'll have me.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 3, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. Apparently I just did Wilbrod's homework by accident, Mudge, although apparently it needs licking and polishing.

Posted by: Wilbrodog | September 3, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Speeches like Rudi's and Palin's make any hopes of bipartisan cooperation seem extremely, what's the word I'm looking for...naive? foolhardy? unrealistic?

Posted by: Tangent | September 3, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I know I said I was going to sleep, but I spent a little time doing a self assessment on what it takes for the Canadians to let me in. Now I see Maggie, and others, might want this info.

Here's the link:

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

No, you can't move until after the election. The morning after...well, if it goes badly, I'll ride point across the border, carrying the white flag and waving beads and trinkets.

FYI, Tina Fey is guest-hosting SNL this week. Whaddaya think the odds are the opening skit...

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 3, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Mudge, this time of year going south to Toronto seems tempting. Supposed to be in the 30s tonight.

Now I am done, but I am looking forward to Fey as Palin-that's called a sure thing. Fondue.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 3, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Their media is not interested in what America thinks just McCain!!That's the republican double talk tell what you did wrong and say that they did the same thing but it's not wrong!! DUH!!!!! I can't get over the fact the a person can claim to have more experience, when they have never written a law one. Never sponsored one or pass one federal law!!!! That's what the federal government does LADY!!! ""NEWS FLASH"" OBAMA HAS PASS, WRITTEN, SPONSORED MORE FEDERAL LAWS THEN YOU WILL EVER DREAM OF DOING!!!!

Posted by: James R. LeCato | September 3, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

What am I to think? Canada doesn't want me. I flunked the test. Possibly because I'm as old as mud? Or because I don't have a spouse? Do Canadians discriminate?

Posted by: Maggie O'D | September 4, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Here's the link, again, to Steve Pearlstein's reporting about the BP pipeline through Georgia. BP was once owned by Deutsche Bank, because of the bank's interest in the Rumanian oil fields. If you think Saddam Hussein was the first to set oil fields aflame, think again. It was the British who feverishly beat a path to Rumania to set fire to wells there to prevent the Germans from getting to them and having the fuel supply to continue to wage WWI.

Then BP merged with Anglo-Persian and eventually sucked up America's Atlantic Richfield (and Sinclair, an independent that had earlier merged with ARCO), Atlantic having been one of the companies carved out of Standard Oil after the company was broken up in 1911.

Too late to talk about the first oil pipeline that originated in Baku (in Azerbaijan) and ran through Georgia to Bat'umi. ZZZZzzzz. Or Palin's speech.

Posted by: Loomis | September 4, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Tangent! Welcome back! Where have you been? I love how the Republicans want to throw themselves out of Washington...or something...

The Mardy Fish/Rafael Nadal tennis match just started about an hour ago, I guess becuz the S Williams/V Williams match went so long (Serena won). And Fish won the first set.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 4, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Evening all
I saw a little bit of the speech,it looked more like a football pep rally then a convention.Can't the RNC spend a little more of our money and make some decent signs?

Canada sounds great Maggie,They don't get too many hurricanes in Canada do they? And I do speak a little french.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 4, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

i cannot wait to see tina fey do sarah palin.

happy b-day, maggie-o!

Posted by: L.A. lurker | September 4, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

gwe, I had the same thought about the signs! Those Republicans are such common people.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 4, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Maggie O too!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 4, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

And I think SNL is a rerun this Saturday - Tina Fey hosted it last season. Michael Phelps is hosting the fall premiere. Not that I had an easy time deciphering the SNL website, so I could be mistaken.

Fish/Nadal, one set all.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 4, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Does any member of the Palin family really care about this baby? They are using him as a prop. Can this be considered as child abuse?? What decent parent would take their infant to a convention, the noise level is higher than being at a Stones concert. As far as the "POW" give it a break. Is this his legacy? He wasn't alone in that camp. Someone explain to me if being in the PTA, a mayor, gov. is executive experience, then doesn't this give her more experience than her running mate. He's never been PTA, mayor, gov etc. only a POW, congeess, senator. Oops I forgot rumor has it a long time ago while his 1st wife was ill he applied for a marriage lic. to current wiife before getting a divorce.

Posted by: Shani | September 4, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Brag, yello, thanks.

Helen Lake:

Posted by: SonofCarl | September 4, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

The Daily Show lifted my spirits after the spectacle tonight. The side-by-side comparisons of Rove and others statements made their hypocrisy crystal clear. Thank you Jon Stewart. And the way he handled Newt was great.

Nadal won, 3 sets to one.

Posted by: mostlylurking | September 4, 2008 3:05 AM | Report abuse

"Its easy to make frends if you let pepul laff at you. Im going to have lots of frends where I go."

Charlie Gordon for President.

Posted by: Jumper | September 4, 2008 5:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm quite glad I decided to sleep instead of devoting any time to the speeches...

Although the Boodle as always did a fine job in providing all the detail I needed to hear.

Thank you, one and all, for your kind birthday wishes.

And now on to football! :-)

*trudging-back-to-work Grover waves*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 4, 2008 5:12 AM | Report abuse

Caught the tail end of Rudy throwing raw meat to the crowd. He seems to have been designated party attack dog and he is enjoying the role. His lisping way of saying "cosmpolitan" was clear gay-baiting. Talk up those small town values, Mr. New Yawk City.

They also snuck a San Francisco values type reference into Palin's speech. It's going to get ugly.

For Dawn Patrol members and other fans of flying hardware, you can find out what type of military aircraft you are on my quiz for the day:

Maybe some one can find a "What kind of needlecraft you are" quiz to keep the boodle in balance.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 4, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

I think I'm going to have to take my TV in for decontamination after last night's bullsh!t spewing contest. I've never seen so much crap being tossed around in my life. The only thing that impressed me (scared me, actually) was that the speakers were able to deliver so many blatant lies and distortions with a straight face.

Mitt should join the circus. I'm sure Ringling Bros. would love to add an act to their freak show where a man sticks his head up his own arse and then proceeds from that position to blow smoke up the arses of everyone in the audience, all without letting a single hair on his head fall out of place.

I just love the way they're trying to pin all the nation's ills on "liberals" in general and the Democrats specifically, when their party is the one that's been in charge for the last eight years.

Best ironic line: (from Romney) "It's time for the party of big ideas, not the party of Big Brother."

So who was it again that cried and stomped their feet until they got warrantless wiretaps? What about the "no-fly" list? What about double-super-secret warrants for library records and other personal data where the keepers of said data can go to jail for even mentioning (let alone challenging) that the Feds are poking around in it?

Grrrr...

What this 'tooni needs right now is some quality primal scream time. And more coffee.

Peace out...

Posted by: martooni | September 4, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

"If you think Saddam Hussein was the first to set oil fields aflame, think again." But Loomis, why would I ever think that in the first place? It's another of your straw man arguments. The British did in WWI what Sherman did in the March to the Sea and Scipio did to Carthage: denied resources to the enemy. What's your point?

I'm with you, Scotty. Time for some serious NFLitutde.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | September 4, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

I gotta catch a train to Joisey, but this is too rich to pass up:

The perfect nexus of politics and geekitude.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 4, 2008 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Morning all.. glad to get the recap from the boodle this morning. Couldn't bear to watch last night. Eww.

Thanks to all of you who watched so the rest of us wouldn't have to. We appreciate your sacrifice.

Posted by: TBG | September 4, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh! Hey! Happy Birthday to Maggie O'D!

Posted by: TBG | September 4, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Good morning everyone!
I see Joel and the Boodle been busy overnight.

Zooming out in my crate, fueled by umbrage. The Evil One, Arbusto and their cronies want to raid our treasury for ONE BILLION shmakos for their Neocon buddy Saakashvili.

The damage this gang is doing to the US is unpresedented. Good op-ed by Cohen in NYT.

Posted by: Brag | September 4, 2008 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Maggie, and many more happy ones!

Thanks again to those who watched and commented last night so that those of us who couldn't stand it would know what was going on.

The news around here is that Hanna probably won't affect us. It would be nice to get some more rain, although we did get over an inch Sunday night. Oh well.

Maybe the drought will go away with the Republicans in November.

Posted by: slyness | September 4, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Maggie.

Posted by: dmd | September 4, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Happy, happy birthday Maggie. If we’d been watching the convention together last night, we’d still be picking up the pieces of the tv.

I too thank you all for reporting last night. Yes the Daily Show was terrific, I managed to stay awake for the whole thing and John did do a great job with Newt (what a tool!). Sara’s voice is like nails on a blackboard.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | September 4, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

That Palin gal has got spunk. I hate spunk.

Posted by: Lou Grant | September 4, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Maggie O'D

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Posted by: Brag | September 4, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Maggie!!!! *extra-sproingy Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 4, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Howie Kurtz quoting Roger Simon:
________________________
"On behalf of the media, I would like to say we are sorry. On behalf of the elite media, I would like to say we are very sorry.

"We have asked questions this week that we should never have asked. We have asked pathetic questions like: Who is Sarah Palin? What is her record? Where does she stand on the issues? And is she is qualified to be a heartbeat away from the presidency?

"We have asked mean questions like: How well did John McCain know her before he selected her? How well did his campaign vet her? And was she his first choice?

"Bad questions. Bad media. Bad."
_________________________

I like it! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 4, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

From seeing clips of the speeches and reading the coverage it seems as if Rudy and Palin did exactly what they were supposed to do. Energize the party base. In this their goal, of course, was no different that that of the Democrats during their convention.

It’s the difference in technique that worries me. If the Dems were like a big Revival Meeting full of positive energy, the Republicans came across as much angrier. You got the feeling they were about to break out the torches and go storming the castle. Palin, especially, has the makings of a nice demagogue. She's starting to really scare me, and not in a good way.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 4, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Cindy McCain's nearly lime-green long-sleeved dress, like yellow, really catches the camera. She is sporting softer tresses.

Sara Palin's weskit-style shirt-waist top is one-part blouse/one part suit jacket. This style -- very comfortable -- gives the impression of rolled up shirt sleeves.

Little baby Trig, sawing away at zzzzzz, held by many and stayed asleep. I had one baby of three who was sweetly oblivious. The other two? Well, not so much.

----
Mike Huckabee's speech was the best. Rudy Guliani may not be aware how lighly Satanic he looked. Sara Palin's was good enough.

However, why does the Republican convention tent exude zeal rather than enthusiasm? Watch out, though, because the narrative of the common (man and woman) person rising up through sweat and dignity is very American. The Western layer is the poetry of the pick up truck, farm, field, and pristine trout stream.

Posted by: College Parkian | September 4, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

It was kind of amusing to listen to Romney, the Michigan-born, Harvard-educated, former CEO of Boston-based Bains Capital and former governor of Massachusetts denounce the Eastern Elite.

The quality of Executive experience should count too. Wasn't Giuliani responsible for placing NYC emergency center in the Twin Tower complex? It's pretty much like locating the Very Large Ape Control and Emergency Center in the Empire State Building, is it not?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | September 4, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

The cameras were scanning the crowd and my wife said, 'Hey, they found the black guy.'

She was wrong. According to WaPo, there were 39 there. Diverse crowd there.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 4, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Pit Bull with lipstick? I got more of an impression of a yipping (female dog), a long-haired chihuahua with sharp teeth and a nasty snarl.

The effing filter ate two earlier versions of this post, presumably for the parenthetical phrase that replaces the word for a female dog that rhymes with witch.

Posted by: Shiloh | September 4, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I did take umbrage at the Republicans' disparagement of community organizers. But David Plouffe, Obama campaign manager, said it better than I could:

"Both Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin specifically mocked Barack's experience as a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago more than two decades ago, where he worked with people who had lost jobs and been left behind when the local steel plants closed.

"Let's clarify something for them right now.

"Community organizing is how ordinary people respond to out-of-touch politicians and their failed policies.

"And it's no surprise that, after eight years of George Bush, millions of people have found that by coming together in their local communities they can change the course of history. That promise is what our campaign has been about from the beginning.

"Throughout our history, ordinary people have made good on America's promise by organizing for change from the bottom up. Community organizing is the foundation of the civil rights movement, the women's suffrage movement, labor rights, and the 40-hour workweek. And it's happening today in church basements and community centers and living rooms across America.

"Meanwhile, we still haven't gotten a single idea during the entire Republican convention about the economy and how to lift a middle class so harmed by the Bush-McCain policies.

"It's now clear that John McCain's campaign has decided that desperate lies and personal attacks -- on Barack Obama and on you -- are the only way they can earn a third term for the Bush policies that McCain has supported more than 90 percent of the time.

"But you can send a crystal clear message.

"Enough is enough. Make your voice heard loud and clear by making a $5 donation right now:

"Thank you for joining more than 2 million ordinary Americans who refuse to be silenced."

Posted by: kbertocci | September 4, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I might as well add that I DID send the campaign a contribution today in response to that email.

Posted by: kbertocci | September 4, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. SD, I had to laugh at your comment about McCain's mother and the use of her as a prop. I know, not nice, but a little funny.

Martooni, I'm still laughing at your comment. I mean I'm laughing really out loud. I know my neighbors can hear me. They're probably seriously thinking they should call 911. Just too funny.

The front page of the WashPost called the Repub's convention a "White Convention", and no, I did not read the story because after looking at some of the convention, it is a correct assessment. Yahoo's assessment of Palin, "a star is born". I did not look at the convention, sleep won out. Happy some of you here saved me the trouble.

Yesterday was so busy, I'm still tired. I have to pick the g-girl up from the bus today.

And Slyness, the school board meeting here took on a raunchy tone. People are not happy here with the changing of the system. I hope this thing doesn't get bad. I'm going to try and get to one of the meeting. I think the meat of all of this is that "No Child Left Behind" program. It's a nightmare for schools and parents.

Happy Birthday, Maggie. And you too, Scotty. I didn't know it was your birthday.

Morning, Mudge, and all.*waving*

Have a great day, folks. Time to go.

Posted by: cassandra s | September 4, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

New kit!!

Posted by: frostbitten | September 4, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for an Ann Telenaes animated political cartoon depicting a snarling little (rhymes with witch) dog snapping at Obama's ankles while he delivers a statesmanlike speech.

Posted by: Shiloh | September 4, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

This election thing isn't over yet, so let us not get down and out before we vote. That would be like giving the Repubs a victory. They don't own it, albeit, they're trying hard to make folks think they do. It most certainly is not over.

I hope Hanna goes away, and before she gets here. I believe I can endure anything as long as the power doesn't go out.

Posted by: cassandra s | September 4, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

CP... the irony of "The Western layer" is that if the Republicans had/have their way all of those poetic symbols will become extinct...

pick up truck: can't fill the tank, broke down, and/or about to be repo'd

farm: in danger of (or in, or already) foreclosure, easy pickings for bargain-hunting corporate mega-farming

field: threatened by pollution and global warming

pristine trout stream: not many left, fish unsafe to eat more than once or twice a month (if at all) due to high mercury levels

Posted by: martooni | September 4, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey Maggie -- Happy Birthday greetings and huzzahs to you, too!

I followed my will and did *not* watch Palin last night, but I haven't watched any of the Repub. Convention at all this week (again, wanting to keep my food down). And, until the election, I still apparently have my own will, although I will admit that I have not yet read the paper this morning....

I think maybe the danger is still from those who choose not to vote in November. Idiots, all -- especially the women. But I also wonder how many Republican women (like Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins (whose voice makes me cringe, btw)) will not vote or will vote Democratic and just not tell anybody.

Gotta go.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | September 4, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

New kit! Come on over folks.

Posted by: frostbitten | September 4, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

*faxing a double dose of blood pressure medication to someone who sorely needs it*

Sometimes history is just history without any argument attached. I wasn't talking about marauding in general, but oil marauding. Crimeny!

Loved CP's last two sentences in her 8:14, although I feel a distance to them in the choice of the words "narrative" and "poetry." Spoken like someone with a deep, passionate involvement in things literary.

Palin's real, folks. And she appeals to me greatly. She played basketball, I played basketball. The beauty contest thing. Attended a small college. Journalism. Retail. The West--and the great outdoorsand athleticism. A son with Down syndrome. Her husband works for BP, my father stationed at a drilling operation at Cape Yakataga for Atlantic Richfield. Politics. Feel the urge to enroll in a correspondence course in how to field dress a moose.

Spunky. A pitbull with lipstick. I'm still watching and learning about her. I'd like someone to puzzle out, report more of the story about what happened at the Wasilla Library, though.

One thing I feel confident about. After the delivery of last night's (scripted) speech, she just upped the ante in the vice presidential debate. That'll be the television event to watch--Ifill, Palin and Biden. How good will she be in a more spontaneous setting in discussing issues not necessarily of her own choosing? Then again, we'll have a chance to see how much Biden knows about the energy industry--both domestic and foreign. How much does Palin know about energy activities outside The Last Frontier? Also, when will reporters have access to her?

Posted by: Loomis | September 4, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow TWP eliberal extremist view are really working hard today.. I don't know maybe they need another shot in the from from Sally Quinn.. Why is the TWP such a hater, of Palin Power? Why is TWP such a liberal extremist newspaper?

Posted by: Dubs | September 4, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dubs | September 4, 2008 10:49 AM
-------------

I think you're a bit turned around. This isn't On Faith (or The Fix). You can play with your friends there if you'd like.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Well, day two back at work. One good thing about the busy-ness I've returned to. I have no time to read this crappy all Palin all the time boodle.

Unfortunately, I also have no time to post half a dozen recipes to change the danged discussion, so you're on your own.

but first, Moose Chili:

2 tbl oil
1/2 cup thin sliced onions
1/2 cup thin sliced green bell peppers
1/2 lb ground Moose
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup canned tomatoes
1 and 1/3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
1/2 tbl chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 large clove garlic minced
2 cups canned kidney beans

heat oil in skillet
cook pepper and onions until onions are tender
add meat
cook uncovered till meat starts to brown
add boiling water, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, sugar, and garlic
simmer covered 1/2 hour
add hot water if too thick
add beans
heat till hot

let cool then store in fridge overnight
reheat and serve with Saltines

Posted by: omni | September 4, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. Palin needs to be reminded that Jesus Christ was a community organizer and Pontius Pilate was a governor.

Posted by: anghiari | September 4, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes our omni makes me uncomfortable, but the game recipes are simply awesome. Thanks, omni.

If I have any chance of changing the Palin-subject, I could post recipes for muskrat (take a freshly-killed muskrat, and after skinning and dressing, take out the musk glands. Soak the carcass in cold water [changed frequently] and then parboil...) or bear roast (take a freshly-killed bear, and after skinning and dressing, take out the musk glands. Soak the carcass in cold water [changed frequently] and then parboil...

They don't tell you that you need a swimming pool of ice-water (frequently changed) to soak the skinned and dressed carcass of a bear.

Posted by: Yoki | September 6, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Omni wins! Serve with Saltines! hahahahaha!

Posted by: Yoki | September 6, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse