Economic Worries at 35,000 Feet

I'm writing this on a Southwest Airlines flight to Las Vegas, wondering if the world economy has collapsed, and what might be left of my 401k. I'm worried that it's now a 301k. The overnight news looked rather ominous, and the S&P Futures, whatever those are, were down something like 46 points, or dollars, or amperes, or newtons.

[Note that I'm not going to "Vegas," which sounds like a gambling junket. I'm going to the largest city in Nevada, to report a story. Huge difference. Though I might play a hand or two of blackjack if my senses leave me.]

The only person who doesn't seem to be fretting these days is Warren Buffett, who once a week decides to spend three, four or five billion dollars on a company or a big chunk of one. Just watch, one of these days he's going to buy Nebraska (just off to my right, as it happens).

Remind me to learn how to check in online for these flights, so I don't get stuck boarding in the final "C" group and forced to sit for 5-plus hours in a middle seat. Also remind me to fly first class, or by private jet.

Also remind me to become a completely different person.

Politics: The electoral map is bluing. McCain has abandoned Michigan and is in a tough fight in places like Virginia. He seemed a lock in Florida not too long ago, but not anymore. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that the McCain camp (including Sarah Palin) is pushing the Bill Ayers and Rev. Wright angles, but I suspect that some voters will register that as desperation.

Books: I'm reading the new Harold Holzer book, "Lincoln, President-Elect," which discusses the secession winter in the long period between Lincoln's November election and his early-March inauguration (the lame-duck period was finally shortened in, I think, 1937). The book plants in this reader's mind a question about what our next president-elect can and should do after Nov. 4. Lincoln was roundly criticized by contemporaries and later by historians for not doing enough -- or hardly anything at all -- to stave off disunion (I haven't gotten far enough to know to what extent Holzer shoots down this orthodoxy). But with the country fighting two wars and one major economic crisis, the post-election period will need strong leadership day in and day out. There's a rumor that Obama would keep Bob Gates at Defense. What about Paulson at Treasury? Just thinking out loud here.

Sports: Sure looks like the Skins are for real. There was nothing fluky or cheap about the way they turned the Eagles into mashed potatoes. Where's Kornheiser and his bandwagon? (Did the bandwagon take the buyout, too?)

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 6, 2008; 12:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington Below the Scum
Next: Someone's Always Gambling

Comments

Glad you can enjoy the beans Cassandra.

I was going to give 1 bean to everyone,but it worked out much better this way. I was so much enjoying myself,I forgot about passing them out.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 6, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

First? Connection so slow I probably missed a whole kit and boodle.

That Ayers and Wright are coming up now explains why Obama held his fire on Keating. Verrrry astute way to run a campaign.

Posted by: frostbitten | October 6, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

So excited (is that the right word?) to see the BHP pictures. Thanks Snuke.

Posted by: daiwanlan | October 6, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

It sure would be nice if in the next election cycle people refer to being "Keating'ed" like we say "Swift-boated" now.

I guess what I mean is.. I hope it works!

Posted by: TBG | October 6, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

My head hurts from a blog post I just wrote on chain letters and memes etc. http://jumpersbloghouse.blogspot.com/

If you see Warren Beatty in Vegas don't call him "Bugsy." He really doesn't like that.

Posted by: Jumper | October 6, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Seems the results are in, the most electable republican ticket would be Huckabee/Palin, not McCain/Palin this is according to a new poll at watchdebate.com nearly 4 to 1 people would preffer Huckabee/Palin over McCain/Palin. Ha The RNC got it way wrong this time.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

More pictures are coming, daiwanlan, I promise!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 6, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I thought Joel was going to Vegas for ideas on how to fix the economy.

Our crisis came about because the casino was loaning money to the players who kept on playing with borrowed chips.

About the Two Wars: Commander of British Forces in Afghanistan says the war there is unwinnable (Loan the secretary of defense some chips).

Posted by: Brag | October 6, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally, if anyone hasn't yet seen the latest SNL Biden/Palin debate sketch, they ought to. I thought the by-far-best line in the whole skit was Fey/Palin's line, not supporting gay marriage because marriage "is a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers." It comes about 7 1/2 minutes into the 11-minute sketch. http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/vp-debate-open-palin-biden/727421/

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 6, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Where was Bush during the stock market shakedown this morning?

Here, slurping a milkshake:

Posted by: Loomis | October 6, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Ix-nay on the Carolina blue. I think a nice classy white and gold scheme would look so much better.

The trick to getting the A boarding passes is to set your PDA reminder for exactly 24 hours in advance. Those A-tickets go in about the first half hour. People must have people to reserve them for them.

And I've flown first class on Southwest. All it gets you is first dibs on the bulkhead and exit row seats. Plus a free glass of wine. Splurge on a real airline if you are going to spend big bucks.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Brag,
And if the British know anything, it would be realizing when you've lost in Afghanistan.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Not everyone enjoyed being in a sketch on Saturday Night Live:

Ex-CEO of S&L bought by Wachovia defends record
By MICHAEL LIEDTKE--AP, SAN FRANCISCO

Excerpt:

Sandler, 77, spoke to The Associated Press in the San Francisco office of his family's charitable foundation the morning after NBC's "Saturday Night Live" broadcast a skit deriding the Sandlers as predatory lenders who had duped unsophisticated borrowers and Wachovia, too. A caption shown during the sketch skewered the Sandlers as "people who should be shot."

Posted by: Loomis | October 6, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I got the SNL episode on DVR at home. The Fey/Palin sketch was the talk of the lunch table today. Lorne Michaels should pay to have the election postponed to the end of the season.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Hugh McColl link
Slyness. I missed it.

I met him walking down North Davidson street back in the '90s. He had on regular blue jeans and some real nice cowboy boots which I will guess were even more expensive than they looked. He mentioned that the very first bank he worked at was where the Neighborhood Theatre still is. I had not known that. I knew some folks he knew, and after chatting about them he mentioned he was trying to buy the old burned out church uptown. He said "whenever they find out it's me, the price goes up, so I'm trying to keep it quiet." Why he told me, I have no idea. He didn't know my sister was a journalist! But I kept quiet, and soon they printed a story about "anonymous buyer buys church" and he finally admitted it publically a month or so later. Now of course it's the McColl Center for Visual Arts.
If I ever meet him again, he owes me a beer.

Posted by: Jumper | October 6, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

There is large wheeled vehicle parked in an old barn outside Poolesville that is reportedly being considered for restoration by Messrs. Kornheiser and Wise. Informed sources say that it will take about 5 more weeks of examination to determine if the job can be done and get the vehicle back out on the road.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 6, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

See Actor Jon Voight, Go nuts on Obama. Assuses him of all kinds of stuff. He was on fox last night, He went into a rant http://www.huckabeeshow.com

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

That definition of marriage had me in stitches Mudge. I was laughing so much the pup started barking at me. I betch ya, also.

T'was nothing boko. Nothing personal, you know that taking random stabs at the Leafs is part of the Canadian psyche for the non-TOtonians. Look at the silver lining; the Leafs are no.1 at something.

Gates is doing extremely well and may well stays on.
Paulson tried a couple of strategies that didn't work. He is on his third strike with that credit buy-back cum bank bail-out. Also, one of the line Obama favours is about deregulation causing the melt-down. I'm not sure about the "causing" part but Paulson was one of the most ardent promoter of lifting the limits on leveraging the investment banks could do. When the SEC agreed and lifted the limits in 2004 it triggered the absolutely batsh1t leveraging (30-37 to one at the investment banks) that made the institutions very fragile when the market re-adjusted much downward. Lifting the limits was supposed to be counterbalanged by increased scrutiny of the investment banks by the SEC but, thanks to the one-fox-per-chicken-coop policy of the administration, the increased scrutiny didn't happen.
So there you are, all the chickens and eggs the foxes have not killed have come to roost, so to speak.
The NYT had the SEC story last week.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 6, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

An actor? So, he was paid to rant scripted lines. Big whoopee.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 6, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

But Paulson is doing a heckuva job. For somebody.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Voight has been known to spout all sorts of things that make no sense. Even his daughter thinks he is insane and won't even acknowledge his existence.

He supports Israel because he expects the Second Coming any day now. He's a NUT!!!

Posted by: a bea c | October 6, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

The 1:07 and the 1:33 are both spam that have been appearing on several WaPo blogs. Looks like somebody needs their IP address banned. Wonder if any of The New Guy's minions know how to do that.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of economic worries at 35,000 feet, mine are too. Unfortuntately, that measurement is straight down from sea level. As I've said before, we'll need to get the bathyscape Trieste out of mothballs to survey the debris field of my 401k in the Marianas Trench (right, RD?).

Those S&P futures are measured in fathoms, I think. Some 5800-some-odd of 'em.

That's getting to the bottom of it, as it were.

ebtnut, it's awful early to get into a full resto of that thing. I don't see how anyone can consider getting it ready to go until Thanksgiving. And not until we beat the Giants. *Then* I'm willing to consider it.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 6, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

slyness, your link to the Charlotte Observer in the last kit is *wonderful*!!!! I have sent it along to all and sundry (on a Mondry). Wow -- I wonder how many of his more sane compatriots feel the same way.

And Bad Sneakers -- I *knew* I left you out of yesterday's "nice to meet you"s -- I saw your face and that of S, and completely forgot your handle. Geez! Mudge -- see what you've done??? If you're old, that means I'm not far behind, yanno?

*muttering*

And, of course, exulting that the Detroit Shock fanned San Antonio in three straight to win the WNBA title for the third time in (I think) 5 years. Hey, if the Lions are going to give us a perfect season (and you all know what I mean by that), let the wimmin show them how it's done, eh?

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 6, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sure, Louella, blame me for your forgetfulness. Sheesh.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 6, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to McColl's comments, slyness. His legacy is huge in the QC. I wonder when the action we're seeing in the markets will be characterized as a crash. It's spooky to watch the ticker from hour to hour.

Posted by: jack | October 6, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

hahahaha (*snort*)

Thanks.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 6, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Still not fully backboodled and a little shellshocked due to work ambush upon my return, but I had a wonderful time.

I've done smaller BPH's before and this was the same, multiplied. For me, it's like going to a dorm reunion from when you were all seniors and had a chance to pick the people on your floor. Or maybe a family reunion. There's a warm, friendly interest and knowledge about everyone and always something to talk about.

As others have said, far better than I, I wish I'd been able to spend more time with everyone individually. As it is, I can't even begin to convey here how much fun I had.

And we've learned that Kim will say anything if you offer her a butter cake. :-)

Posted by: dbG | October 6, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Re: the market today, I remember Phoebe on Friends referring to her four oh wonk.

I think we're seeing the four oh wunks today.

Posted by: dbG | October 6, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

omg! this was by far the best weekend i've had in a very very very long time! how to put it into words? the preMBPH was awesome - i laffed and laffed! i LOVE slyness's accent and absolutely loved meeting cassandra! poor cassandra got tackled by me! she was subject to me at full throttle - and those of you that know me IRL know that i can be pretty darn hyper! And my YOKI! i <3 me some Yoki! definetly missed having wilbrod and wilbrodog there! and yes, you guys were brought up! (put away that pic snuke!)
and the MBPH! wow! wow! i blame yoki cuz she mentioned nap so i decided that was a good idea and took one only to wake up in a panic at 6ish - so yes, i got there late but still got to meet a bunch of ppl - and didn't get home till after 4am (wagging my finger at youknowwho!) so it's a good thing i took a nap! bob s. bought me a book, Bangkok Haunts, after i recommended Bangkok 8 to him...
still glowing after meeting everyone!

Posted by: mo | October 6, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

We've got us some mo glow!

I was kicking myself for not getting to talk with everyone at the MBPH. Then I did some math. There were 40+ people there. If I had spent 5 minutes with each person, that would have been more than 3 hours. Maybe next time we have to do speed-dating conversations...

I brought our special flamingo hats, but we didn't put them on. After the tin foil hats were deployed, it just would have been so...anticlimactic.

Posted by: Raysmom | October 6, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom - I was thinking about the "Speed Dating" analogy as well. I worked the room as well as I could just so I could see everyone, but it all went by so quickly.

Cassandra! You sweetie you. My mother once told me to never argue with a compliment, so thanks for your kind words. And, as I said, it was *truly* an honor to meet you in person.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 6, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Joel,

Make sure to buy some liquor flavored chocolates from the gift store in the LV airport for the AchenSpouse. You will both appreciate it.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I see the market is starting to rally. So lets all clap our hands and say "We do believe in fairies! We do believe in fairies!"

Hey, couldn't hurt.

Like I've said before, you only lose money when you sell. So I hope there aren't that many out there who are forced to do so.

Hey oil is down! Hurrah!

Wait. I own energy sector stocks.

Hmm. How 'bout them 'skins? Looks like Big Jimmy Z got that West Coast Offense firin' on all cylinders.

Man. I just don't know myself anymore.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 6, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I missed Joel AND tin foil hats?! (smacks head)

I missed the MegaBPH because of a family emergency. MIL was hospitalized with complications from lupus. She has the most severe form of the disease. It is awful.

I had such a great time Friday night. I am sad that I missed meeting those of you who came in on Saturday.

Hopefully, this will become an annual event.

DbG--I will send you pictures of some of my work soon.

I am looking forward to the MBph pictures.

Posted by: Moose | October 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Only money I ever made gambling was at the LV airport. Five bucks. Cash.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh Moose. Lupus? I've heard about that. Best wishes and sorry I missed meeting you.

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 6, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Moose... we were wondering where you were. Sorry you had to miss it, but mostly sorry that your MIL is doing poorly. Please pass along our best wishes.

I think we most definitely will do such a party again. It was just too much fun and we've got too many folks we've got to entice to join us next time. You all know who you are!

Posted by: TBG | October 6, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering where you were, Moose, and I knew it had to be serious for you to be absent. I hope the MIL is feeling better post-haste.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 6, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Moose, so sorry. My mom had lupus and you and I both know that that disease in some stages is really the wolf howling at the door.

Prayers for you and the thought of NIH if you have not already tried this. Plasmapheresis saved her twice, although this is not typically a treatment for lupus crisis other than kidney involvement.

You may already know this, but in case not.

Let us know about how this goes.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 6, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Moose, so sorry about your MIL and having to miss the party.

One sign of a great party is how quickly the time goes by. When I finally sat down to eat a bit, I looked at my watch and was astonished to see it was already 7:00.

RD, the only money *I* ever made gambling was in the Las Vegas airport. Five bucks cash from the slots. And I was underage.

Posted by: Raysmom | October 6, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Moose, we missed you! Hope your mother-in-law is doing better already. Lupus is a terrible disease. Next time, we won't allow any family emergencies.

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

moose! so sorry about the mil! and frosti sorry about your ankle!

as far as working for the gubmint... the problem is those outside of the beltway don't get how *political* is it to work for the gubmint (forgive my pun)... there are all these rules and regulations that you are constantly working yourself in a circle... it's like anti-virus - you can over protect yourself so much that your computer might as well be a typewriter... and don't get me started on funding!

Posted by: mo | October 6, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TBG, Scotty, RD, and CP.

I will check onto plasmapheresis.

She has been ravaged by this disease. It has destroyed her kidneys and joints, and now it is moving on to her heart and brain. She has been though so much; I just don't know how she goes on sometimes. I will let her know there are lots of "imaginary" friends pulling for her. :o)

I don't want to bring the Boodle down after such a monumental weekend. I really felt like it was something special.

Posted by: Moose | October 6, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to everyone who posted before I submitted my last comment.

Posted by: Moose | October 6, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear all the raves about the MBPH. Like I said all along, I wish I were there. It would be a super-fun-awesome thing to meet you all in person. Someday! Anybody ever make it to Honolulu, I'd be happy to do a mini-BPH on the beach at Waikiki!

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

No fair, Aloha, don't tempt me like that!

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Moose, hope your MIL feels better soon. And Frosti - best wishes on that ankle getting better.

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Moose, Europeans use plasmaphoresis more than we do to treat auto-immune illness.

Your mom sounds very ill. Lupus crisis patients can be knocked over with a feather, as you know. In my mom's case, we were sure she was dying with heart inflammation and kidney shutdowns. The steroids were now longer working or the doses were so huge that steroid toxicity was emerging. P filters the blood and returns the blood after the filtering of immune factors occurs. Can pose other risks but she was at death's door twice, with P bringing her back to live carefully but good enough to be with seven children and 17 grandchildren, several dogs and lots of birdies in the yard to admire.

Not to be a downer but she did use hospice care twice and emerged to sign up for that again! Hospice beat the step down unit of ICU and a critical nursing home by many miles. You can LEAVE hospice, and when the illness is lupus, you can get more assertive treatments if you need to. Check with the local chapters about lupus support if this option is realistic. My mom was in CA and MT when this happened.

Lupus is a Witch of a disease; Marx Brothers movies helped. Not sure this is what you MIL would like but humor and light of some sort....

Sigh. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry for you. Be brave. Pace yourself.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 6, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh Slyness, if I could find a way to get you all to come out here for a MBH convention - I'd do it!

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Psssst, Aloha...

Cash works just fine, yanno.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 6, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Moose, sorry to hear it. Several of us wondered where you where, since you'd been to the BPH the night before and said you were coming.

I think I have to tell this funny story about the MBPH, to those who were there as well as to those who weren't, but I think I have to be careful about identity. Here goes:

In additional to known Boodlers, Joel and Mrs. Joel, etc. there were a small handful of other people there. One of them was a man I'll just call X. Now, in addition to some of the desserts we brought along, it was possible to order food at Buffalo Billiards, and there were several copies of the BB menu floating around. Early on, my wife started to get a little headachey from lack of food, and asked me to order chicken tenders platter for us to share, which I did; I also order two diet Cokes. Various other Boodlers ordered stuff from time to time, and there were other plates of food around the room, as well as various and sundry drinks, desserts, etc.

Well, at one point my wife put our platter down on a table next to the sofa where she was sitting next to Nukespouse. I put my diet Coke there, too, and there were some other plates and glasses there as well. There was also an ice bucket on this table, in which there was an open bottle of wine, and there were two or three other bottles of wine there (although rapidly disappearing). My wife was done eating her half of the chicken tenders, but I would occasionally wonder over to our platter to eat a chicken tender or some of the french fries, and then I'd wonder off for a while and mingle.

At one point I came back to the sofa and sat down next to my wife. "See that guy?" my wife asked, pointing to X.

"Yes, that's so-and-so," I said.

"Well," my wife said, "a few minutes ago he wandered over this way and ate a chicken tender off our plate. Then he drank half of your soda."

*"What??"*

""I've been watching him ever since," my wife said. "He's been wandering around the room eating from various plates, and drinking from whatever glasses and bottles were unattended."

Now, I can understand he may have thought the platters were "cummunal" and generally might have been ordered just as general appetizers for everybody (they weren't, but it might be possible to think that way). But the drinks? Under what what circumstances would you pick up a glass of soda two-thirds full, and drink half of it, and then walk away, if it wasn't yours?

Now, my wife and I occassionally take a sip out of each other's glass, since we have the understanding that it is permissible to do so; I suspect virtually all married couples do that. But I wouldn't pick up a stranger's glass off a table at a party and drink out of it in a thousand years. And this guy was methodically combing the room and "grazing" and foraging at will.

The credenza of desserts at one end of the room was "common property" -- but there were plates and forks there, and the notion was, if you wanted something, help yourself, put it on a plate, grab a fork, and go. But X's grazing was quite different.

Just thought you guys would find it interesting. Anybody else (beside Nukespouse) notice this guy?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 6, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Aloha, Maybe we could get Cindy McCain to fly us all out there on her plane!!!!

That would be "Change I could believe in!

Posted by: Dolphin Michael | October 6, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't notice that person, Mudge, but I did lose most of my Southwestern platter to a couple of folks. Oh well, at least I didn't overeat.

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Scotty - okay, just hang in there while I cash in my stocks...ooops too late! Cash all gone!

DM -I'll pass along that request to Cindy. I'm sure she's got a jet or two to spare.

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

It was pointed out to me as well, 'Mudge, but I didn't see said behavior...

Hey, it's quiz time!!!

*channeling Dan Akroyd in "It Came From Hollywood"* EEEK, it's a brain!!!

7/10

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 6, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I didn't notice the guy. But I do recall setting my beer down a couple of times. And noticing it was disappearing more quickly than I expected.

*gagging just a tad*

Posted by: Raysmom | October 6, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't me. And I've covered for my dine and dash episode twice already.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Moose,
I wondered what had happened to you, as in the morning you posted that you were coming. Hope your MIL will improve.

Mudge
A hunter gatherer Boodler?

Posted by: Brag | October 6, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

5/10 on the quiz. Says I'm no brain surgeon. Oh well, better put away that scalpel now. I was wrong on the one about how much we use our brains. I think I mistakenly believed Albert Brooks in Defending Your Life.

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

8/10 on the brain quiz. Must have been paying more attention in Biology class than I thought...

Posted by: Raysmom | October 6, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

No, wasn't you, yello. Wasn't a Boodler at all, nor a Boodle spouse. And wasn't Caitlin (who by the way is 7 feet tall and has a 14-inch waist. And who, if I was 30 years younger and 18 inches taller, would probably need a restraining order. Just sayin'.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 6, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

8/10 on the brain quiz. And I feel justified in counting the good guesses as excellent use of my brain.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Still have a hard time understanding why Caitlin hangs out with Weingarten.

Posted by: Raysmom | October 6, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom,
That sense of complete and total safety.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I got crickets in my home! I hear them and I can't see them. Well, there was that guy who was cricketing up to my computer (on the floor) on Saturday nite after I got home. Maybe he was the same guy I stepped on late yesterday (only notice after I did that nefarious deed) -- and, yes, for those interested in such detail, I was wearing shoes.

Crickets are supposed to signify good luck. Tapping my foot and still waiting. Hmmm. I wonder if tapping my foot *on* a cricket means anything. I mean, the stock market is . . . naaaaaaaah.

*hiding*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 6, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

BTW, to Moose -- try looking on NORD's web site (National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc.) www.rarediseases.org -- for anything you might be able to find on Lupus. Couldn't hurt and might help.

You and your MIL do have my sympathy.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 6, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think the only thing I ate all day (until some of us went to the bookstore) was a chicken tender that was specifically offered to me, so I think I'm clear. If not, I'll have to go with the "mucho cerveza" defense.

Posted by: Bob S. | October 6, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I recently obtained Albert Brooks/Meryl Streep "Defending Your Life", cheap. I wonder how it'll play, all these years later.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | October 6, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Mo, you're like the baby of the family, and I enjoyed meeting you, and all the rest. And a good hug is always a blessing.

Moose, sorry to hear about you family emergency. I hope everything works out good.

frosti, hope the ankle is feeling better.

DM, loved meeting you too. And I meant every word of what I said.

Can anyone tell me......who was the dude with the flowers?

Posted by: cassandra s | October 6, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

the baby of the family? *blushing* jeez - that just made my day!!

i think he was just a flower vendor peddling his wares... i had to urge to call him Liza but i don't think he'd have appreciated that...

Posted by: mo | October 6, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

bob s. - i think i need to use the "mucho cerveza" defense as well *wink*

Posted by: mo | October 6, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

dbG, for future reference, toasted pretzels go great with Brunswick stew. That's what's for supper tonight, the stew is in the fridge and I don't feel up to cooking.

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Moose, so to hear about your mother in law. Sending strengthening thoughts your way.

Curmudgeon, I not only saw the guy, I lost half my supper to him. And I know who he is. Not a Boodler.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

If he wasn't a boodler or a boodler spouse, what was he?

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the Obama operation in Newport News is really a high energy endeavor. It is absolutely head spinning to see such excitement and organization among the dems in Tidewater VA. Spent a couple hours registering voters at one of the shipyard gates this afternoon. A real last chance endeavor, but I personally got 7 new voters and 2 changes of address. The cute as a bug leader of the group (maybe 20 years old) told me "you have a good ask."

Anyone who thinks the same old, same old, will work in VA as it did when Doug Wilder saw his big lead evaporate into a squeaker hasn't been watching the world change. When you see pregnant young women, with a variety of skin tones, climbing up the stairs at shift change it doesn't take a brilliant pundit to conclude that the conventional wisdom about a lot of things needs to catch up to the new conventions.

Posted by: frostbitten | October 6, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I forgot all about the guy with the flowers til you mentioned it just now. I was wondering about him too! Moose, I am so sorry to hear about your MIL.

I too feel like I really didn’t meet or say more than ‘hi’ to a lot of people. I blame myself as I get shy in large crowds and also I was very tired. If we ever do this again, I’ll be sure to be well rested for it. I enjoyed meeting and talking with many of you, Mudge, bc, Kim, Kbertocci, frosti, yoki, dbG, TBG, a bea c, as well as reacquainting myself with S’nuke and S’nuke Spouse and Slyness. I’ve already mentioned how great it was to meet Cassandra. Oh, and it was lots of fun to meet Joel. I know I’ve forgotten people but I’m still a bit tired and spacey from the whole experience.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | October 6, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

This mystery boodle-crashing grazing-hog has me cracking up but worried too. I suspect a lurker just showed up and blended in, hoping for, and achieving, free meal.

I'm in total skeptical mode today, a guy managed to pilfer (a totally useless plastic container, but still!) off my carport today, and used bluster to talk his way out of it. My neighbor and I ran him off but only figured it out afterwards. Because we DID talk and compare notes. Otherwise...

But it could be worse.It's crazy out there folks. Be careful. Do nametags next time. Or something.

Posted by: Jumper | October 6, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Mudge, Ms. Gibson has a look that can best be described as ethereal. But I thought all the women I was privileged to speak with were lovely. I mean, after reading their brilliant thoughts and dreams on the boodle, how could one not?

Posted by: RD Padouk | October 6, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, he didn't crash the party, he was invited!

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I have been struggling all day to write something about the BPH that is true and inclusive. Here goes:

I wanted ten minutes at least with each of you, and managed some good minutes but missed out on so many. But, it made me so pleased to see others have their minutes with one another.

Cassandra, you dearest, are so special. I am so glad to be with you and watch you be with others. You are our morning and evening Chaplain but the benediction of your smile is seven time seven of all that.

Special shout out to the spouses who embody forbearance and grace; Mr. S of Bad Sneaks, NukeSpouse, SciSpouse, Vintage Lord, RaysDad, Mrs. Mudge, Mr.TBG (AND Son of G and Son of GGirlFriend).

Long distance gals: 1) Yoki from the high wide and handsome Western Prairie who is tall and wise and sports the most darliest cropped hair ever. 2) Kim from Tidewater VA who showed us the air quotes her teenaged boy and gal fling at her, saying this "Look at Mom. She's 'bloggin' " KimDude and KimDot made her a mix tape for the road. 3) a BEA C is darling and digital and like Kim sports cool gal intellectual specs. She canvasses for Obama. 4) Bad Sneaks, who is so Good that the name is a conundrum, managed to squeeze in lots of DC before the gathering. 5) Slyness, who is way too youthful to be retired, sports the best of Piedmont accents. Slyness carpooled with Pastor-Elder-Sister Cassandra. Would love to have been a cricket in that car. 6) AROC traveled to be with us and looked so put together, setting a nice boodle standard. 7) Frosti, the valiant Army 10 Miler is the best of the girl next door, with helicopter chops and such good sense. 8) KB traveled just about the farthest stateside, up from JA's home state of Florida. KB encouraged us to blog out our laughter to y'll.

Local lads and lassies:
1) Firsttimeblogger looks Swedish to me and has a very nice laugh. 2) Bob S won the Hawaiian shirt contest that he thought was underway. 3)GreenWithEnvy is every inch the country gentleman. 4) Dolphin Michael looks more like a princely Dauphin than Flipper. Remind me of his handle's meaning? 5)Scottynuke did NOT wear a salmon or tangerine or nuclear-glow pink shirt. NukeSpouse's influence? 6) BC is BC through and through, making sure everyone had a glass or custom tinfoil hat. 7) RD remains the boodle crushman. 8)Wing man to RD, from NoVa, is DandyLion who gentle giantness is true. 9) dbG from PA had a brief doggy side conversation with Yoki that I eavesdropped on. DbG drew an even first place for SHOES (Satin claret ballet flats that I covet!) with LiT.10) LiT took a fashion hint from BC, sporting elegant gladiator sandals. 11) Raysmom, of the raspberry pie fame actually read my 10 point radical economics plan. We spoke of that AND frivolity. 12) Look for Vintage Lady to be the next Lancome girl. Seriously, get your Shea butter cream and start applying it liberally. 13) Mo in black lace with about 78 buttons in a renaissance kitten blouse arrived late, as a vampire might. 14) Omni the omnicient worked the room handily. 15) StoryTeller Tim revealed the secret formula for Rodent Soap No. 9. 16) StorytellerSpouse can knit and walk at the same time. 17) PJ saw everything. I swear, nothing gets past him. 18) TBG, the den mother passing out tees and stickers. 19) Captain Mudge! The meeting of Mudge and our Cassandra made the universe skip a beat.

Error Flynn up in the wings, with benisons shining. He watched every moment of the Terps debacle, doncha know.

WHO DID I MISS? Shout out and I will place you in the pantheon.

A colleague at work gives this high praise:

I laughed.
I cried
It was better than “Cats” on Broadway.

I agree.

I did not feel one bit embarrassed. But embraced a bit by all.

To those who did not come, your smiling frenvy was there, as in you so wanted this but were so glad in your hearts for those who managed to make this happen.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 6, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm. Flower guy aside (I thought perhaps, first date? Right off the Internet?), I can think of only 2 men I saw who weren't Boodlers or family of Boodler (or Nick the Marine). You've got me all curious.

Cassandra, that's me from Philly. I had a lovely time with you also and was so happy to spend that time with you!

Kim, Frosti, I volunteered to be an Obama volunteer foster home here in PA, thanks to your fine examples.

Moose! We were wondering! Your family is in my thoughts.

Posted by: dbG | October 6, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Until Glen Greenwald apologizes to the Boss for the ridiculous things he wrote about him or promises to aquire a sense of humour I don't think it ethical/politic linking directly to his excellent blog.
The update is good too.
//?http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/10/06/microcosm/?//

Posted by: Boko | October 6, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

CP... that was a PERFECT recap of the evening. Thanks.

Posted by: TBG | October 6, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Maggie O'Day!, Elegance personified, brought me my first glass of wine as I walked into the room. Said room is in the back of the wild and energetic GenX play pen. that is Buffalo Billards. Said room's sliding door is corrugated metal, which reminded me of railroad cattle cars.

And about that person who quaffed and quaffeled through the party, of COURSE not a boodler, not a boodler at all.

"By their manners shall ye know then, boodler band all."

Posted by: ERRATA, ERRATA | October 6, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Maggie O'Day!, Elegance personified, brought me my first glass of wine as I walked into the room. Said room is in the back of the wild and energetic GenX play pen. Said room's sliding door is corrugated metal, which reminded me of railroad cattle cars.

"By their manners shall ye know then, boodler band all."

Posted by: ERRATA, ERRATA | October 6, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

There was free wine in the room?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 6, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

7) RD remains the boodle crushman.

I knew it!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Hee hee. If gwe and I hadn't spent so much time in the "Salon" we might have had a crack at the free wine. As it was, we fended for ourselves!

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I disagree a tad with CP on the RD thing (not because I didn't crush on RD!) because I now have a crush on most of the male Boodlers. And a girl crush on the women. I only qualify that because I didn't get to talk to everyone. I'm secretly in love!

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I gotta tell ya, CP -- you nailed the ambiance completely! Well, except for my looking Swedish. Perhaps you mistook my very grey/gray hair (almost completely white) for the towheaded Swedish paraphernalia atop one's head? Nevertheless, I shall eat more herring in the honor of your thoughts. Which reminds me -- I need to make another trip to IKEA to load up on more Kalles Kaviar (writing down on scrap of paper, which will soon be swallowed by other scraps of paper -- or crickets). I wish I had more time to spend with you. Perhaps at the next BPH that I can come to (making another note).

Kim (I think it was you) remarked on how my postings are generally "out there" and that nobody has to peel any layers to find out what I'm thinking. I told her (and I think Raysmom) that men tell me how direct I am, and women tell me what to wear and how to do with my hair (which behaved itself on Saturday night, as it wasn't raining, which would have caused it to frizz and curl and expand to fit the space at hand). In fact, Kim, I think you are the first woman to make that comment. Kinda fun, eh?

Time to make some dinner. cya later

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 6, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Come on Yoki, are you telling us the Lone Mule made it to the MBPH?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 6, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely not. Because this blog doesn't stink.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Lone Mule DID NOT appear, although JA asked if he/she were among the assembly.

Yoki, crushes all around, boodleboys, boodlegels, really. I consulted the Magic 8Ball and at that time, RD's number came up.

I must say, the biggest surprise was the giant fortune cookie, which arrived courtesy of DNA Girl's general handiness and aplomb.

Second biggest surprise was the very tasteful art stature given to JA! Now, enter in that artifact to one of his box canyons of joy.

---
SD, I am sorry to say that two days in the crook pot on braise did not take away the bitterness of the raddichio. Failed miserably, my version. So, Yoki, I pledge to make a lovely and fresh slaw with the next raddichio that corrses my path.
WARNING to others who might try this. Wait upon testing from a better cook than yours truly.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 6, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I just read in the paper,Santa is coming to our mall November 8th. Seems a bit early to me,but I guess we really need to start shopping Now!!!

What better way to stimulate the economy then to start shopping Now for christmas!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 6, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

cp - i don't know how tasteful that statue is... you can blame me for that btw... the statue that is..

Posted by: mo | October 6, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

After the news of the marauding hunter-gatherer at the MBPH. I went to the bunker.

The wine cellar is in good order. The hanging hams don't show bite marks. the emergency caviar rations are also untouched.

Pheeeeew.

Posted by: Brag | October 6, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Ooooooh, I think I knew who that was. Are you sure 'mudge? I really wanted to speak to him, but he left sometime after he finished shooting pool, is that the man?

Ooooooh.

Posted by: VintageLady | October 6, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Was it I who was the mystery freeloader? I did partake of some hors d'oevres on the table before I realized that they had been ordered by someone. I thought they were part of the party. And I did have a glass of wine from the bottle, but I THINK I was invited to. I'm sorry. I'll reciprocate at the next event!

I had a great time at the MBPH even though I can't hear very well in crowds and my voice is too soft to be heard in the cacophony. I really enjoyed the tour of the newsroom. Thanks Joel.

And to top off the weekend, my brother invited me to Sunday dinner, roast fresh shoulder of pork, mashed potatoes, squash, string beans, and brownies for dessert. Fabulous. Exactly as our mother and father used to cook. And I got to play with his grandchildren.

I'm a happy camper!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | October 6, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

And, of course, I loved meeting everyone.

Posted by: Maggie O'D | October 6, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Maggie, the grazer was a nice enough sort but definitely a MAN!

Posted by: college Parkian | October 6, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry CP. I've dome it on the grill or semi-dry braising a couple of time with some success. She is not an easy vegetable that one.
And bitterness is all relative to this broccoli-rabe eating tribe.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 6, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

No, Maggie, not you!!! A man, and I am waiting for verification. I know he didn't eat mine, because I had a veggie burger and absolutely nobody else there would want it....

Posted by: VintageLady | October 6, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

The desserts were super, you all, I promise to bring something next time. Something southern, you know, like peecan pie. :-)

Posted by: VintageLady | October 6, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

DBG, that's you! I thought it was you, but wasn't sure, and did not want to say the wrong thing. Yes, I hope you realize how much I enjoyed our conversation.

Bad Sneakers, I, like you, feel kind of spacey too, and I'm trying to get it together. But loved every minute of the weekend.

And Maggie O gave me the ride. An elegant lady, by all means.

I tried to read the other kits that I missed because of the weekend, and boy, did I scroll down fast and furious. Where did those folks come from? I have to go back and read the kit. It was like someone turned all the nut cases out of the mental ward over the weekend, and somebody gave them a computer, without giving them their meds. And there were so many of them. DNA girl and Wilbrod were in the land of terror.

Those folks made the Mommy blog look sane.

Slyness, I saw in the Observer the article you were talking about, and also the item about the passing of the commissioner.

Time to retire for the evening. I'm still tired and so sleepy. I got some stuff done today, not a lot, but some. Have a good evening, folks. Night, boodle. Sweet dreams.

Posted by: cassandra s | October 6, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

And now, for something completely different:
I have been trying to capture an owl -- picture or video -- who keeps flying in to the side yard. He is a barred owl. No such luck with my piddly camera.

HOWEVER, enjoy this video of a barred owl in someone's suburban back yard.

This is very much what I am experiencing. Here, within 2.5 miles of the DC border, which simply confirms that nature is, well, nature.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 6, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I just printed a picture of the invoice of the septic tank company that emptied our septib holding tank this summer. Let me tell you honey wagon drivers do not have the best of handwriting.
Our new and improved city requires a proof we have done the suck in the past 2 years. Personnaly I find that about once every 7 years is just about right for us . But then the city collects $50 per tank in dumping taxes...

A clue Yoki, a clue.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 6, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

More pics posted!!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 6, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to recover from the good feeling from the MBPH.

Never have I seen so many people wishing well to each other. The Boodle is an example of how people should live.

Viva la Boodle!

Posted by: Brag | October 6, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Brag, I forgot Brag with his euro debonair flyboy exotic-accented self. SORRY! Mea Culpa, dear Braggadocio! You need a white silk scarf for the complete portrait.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 6, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Fabulous photos, Snuke, you are the bestest photographer we could ever hope for!

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, great pics indeed. But where are pics of our wonderful Cassandra???

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Well done, scotty. Looks like it was a blast. Laundry beckons...

Posted by: jack | October 6, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Moose: I hope that your MIL's condition improves soon. May peace be with you and your family.

Posted by: jack | October 6, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Scotty... great pictures... thanks!

Posted by: TBG | October 6, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say I was FINISHED with the photos, now did I??? :-)

More to come. But alas, not tonight.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 6, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Yoki - was it the Troll?

Posted by: AZBlueHen | October 6, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, thanks for the pictures.

I did notice some guy with an X on the nametag. Sat at the back of the room for a while. When he was leaving, he must have thought I was in charge or something. I had just pulled out my Mac and was typing. Maybe that's why he thought I was in charge. Anyway. He put his hand on my shoulder, then shook my hand and thanked me for everything and said he really enjoyed himself. I didn't think much of it until now. Or was that a Boodler I didn't get to meet?

Posted by: a bea c | October 6, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Was it one of the Eds?

Posted by: TBG | October 6, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Definitely not da troll, AZB. Just a guy who's worked political conventions. He knows how to profit from a large and inattentive crowd.

I think it's gross that he drank out of other people's glasses, but I find the free grazing kind of funny. When I came upon him tucking into my supper, I did the only thing a lady can do, and invited him to help himself. And he did! Of the ten buffalo wings I'd ordered, I got four and he got six! And I had three fries. He had the rest. I had a tight hold on my glass of wine, however, and when he looked at it longingly and then stretched out his hand, I put it behind my back.

Too funny. Apparently it works for him.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Scotty, just that I'm so anxious to see what everyone looks like!

Posted by: Aloha | October 6, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see this?

And, did anyone else hear the NPR story about voters in Southwest VA? The woman interviewed said she would not vote for Obama, despite being a life-long Dem, because Obama would "look after his people, not people like me."

She said that and I almost turned around and went back home to get in bed and cry over it.

Posted by: a bea c | October 6, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

That's funny that a free loader would show up in such a setting, but not that surprising. A great while back I read a (poorly written) novella bout such a person. The guy spent years feeding himself and drinking free booze off the big press conference, parties to send off a new TV season, art gallery openings, political conventions and the like, mostly in the Montreal art/TV/theater setting. There was very little invention in the book, the guy really existed. He was such a fixture that people did not get suspicious until someone started to look for his inexistant byline... A true urban hunter and gatherer, fed on petit fours.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 6, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

The thing you have to understand, Shriek, is that this guy was invited, and highly conversable. He gave good value for what he got, I thought. He wasn't some guy off the street who just crashed. He was a guest.

I actually once knew a guy with the same MO. He'd sign up for strenuous weekends biking in the mountains, etc. and then bring nothing. He knew that nobody in the group would let him freeze or starve, we'd all just make a little room in the tent, go with a few less calories, to keep him in shelter and food. And he, like the MBPH guy, had a lot of conversation and charm. It was brilliant! Audacious, even. I remember his name to this day.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

What fantastic pictures. But then I've met ScienceSpouse before. And even seen the ScienceKid(s). I assume the banana eating contest pics are still to come.

I do have to wonder about an event where the highlight is leaving comments on a blog. Boodlers do know how to par-TAY!

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

OMFSM, Elizbeth Dole's Senate seat is in jeopardy:

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree Brag,the world would be a better place if we all learned to boodle together.

And I must be honest, All of the boodle women are Beautiful inside and out.It was such a pleasure talking to everyone. And I could tell when anyone new showed up,it seems our group was twice the age of most of the regular patrons of BB.

Now I know why the BPH is so highly thought of.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 6, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I just hope Scotty didn't get any pictures of the wet t-shirt contest. Mudge would just die, I think, if those got out.

Or maybe if they didn't.

Posted by: TBG | October 6, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Gene?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anybody has linked to it but here is the very un-hysterical but equally damning Obama video about the Keating Five and the favors McCain pulled for him.

And the topic of the Kristoff column always reminds of this Avenue Q song:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

True Yoki, the guy brought some value added. The guy in Mtl was a russian with a vast culture. He had an opinion on everything apparently. It wasn't always an enlighted opinion but he had one. He was outed by fellow russian and critique Minou Petrowski.
(It takes a parasite to know one if I may be snarky.)

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 6, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I am more than spacey. How could I forget to mention Mo!!! She is just the most fun person. I wish we hadn’t been so tired, we would have loved to have stayed and partied with her. It was also a real pleasure to meet DandyLion. I hope your dad is doing better. Great pictures Scotty, am I really that blond looking? And it’s killing me that I can’t figure out who the grazer is!

Just got back from #2’s house where we picked up some fresh tuna and mahi mahi from almost SIL’s daily catch. We were telling them about our trip and mentioned my imaginary friends and ended up explaining this whole Kit and Boodle thing to them. They took it well and actually seemed a bit impressed that I had such interesting friends.

Still trying to catch up with news and house chores. I also haven’t seen the SNL skits, I had tried to stay awake for them but no luck. Did I read that people are talking about doing this again next year? If so, good, I’ll probably be rested up by then.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | October 6, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Joe Klein is really ticked off at the McCain campaign.

Posted by: DNA Girl | October 6, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

SCC enlighten *cripes*

Any recent martooni sightings?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 6, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I read that piece earlier today, a bea c, and subsequently read this one:

Mr. Cohen's position counters that of Mr. Kristol's, stating that Gov. Palin's talking points ring rather hollow in consideration of past history.

Posted by: jack | October 6, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I've been wondering about a few boodlers that've gone AWOL, Martooni included. I hope the palindrone didn't scar them too badly.

Bad Sneakers, the plus side about a BPH is that you can officially drop off the "imaginary" part, like you know, you actually know they're real, now if only if you could remember who is who...

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 6, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Scotty---fun photos---interesting to see all the boodlers outside the boodle. I like Joel's funny tie. Alas, we Canadian boodlers cannot so easily join in the festivities.

So, what's the scoop... do you all work together? I imagine all these colleagues of Joel's, sitting in their cubicles, just steps away from one another, boodling through the work hours, pretending to be hard at work! Ha, so funny.

I agree with yellojkt, first class within North America is a waste all around. Best first class flight for me was to Australia on Air New Zealand... behind the cockpit, enough room for eight, handsome man bringing me champagne every five minutes. Down side? I was sick with the flu and ruined everyone's time by coughing and sneezing my way through the flight. :):):) but it was still blissful.

Posted by: Miss Toronto | October 6, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Great peetcheers, Scotty

Good night everyone.

Posted by: Brag | October 6, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, but I might mention that I felt tremendous guilt during the entire flight regarding those in 'cattle class' and knew I would one day find my way back there... which I did of course. There's a lesson somewhere in all of this!

Posted by: Miss Toronto | October 6, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Flu, Miss Toronto? You're lucky they didn't land the plane and quarantine you for SARS in some soviet gulag.

Posted by: WIlbrod | October 6, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

LOL :):):) Wilbrod, you're so funny!

Posted by: Miss Toronto | October 6, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

... speaking of some soviet gulag... I had to travel to Russia three times this year... on the dreaded Aeroflot. Worst of all, besides the obvious signs of disrepair... was decidedly the breakfasts... noodles in soy sauce with chicken. Normally, I quite like airplane food (yes, yes, I know that's weird) but this time, the smell of that breakfast made me want to jump for the runway.

I hope I NEVER HAVE TO FLY again. I feel your pain Joel!

Posted by: Miss Toronto | October 6, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Those Canadian troublemakers are at it again:

Posted by: DNA Girl | October 6, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Yay!

My dad's coming out of retirement to help his former students edit a book.

This is great!! he's been playing spider solitaire non-stop for close to four years.

Posted by: a bea c | October 6, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh Wilbrod, you are so right about remembering who is who. While at the Air and Space museum downtown we saw the exhibit about ‘stewardesses’ and the requirements way back when. Yikes! And the menus for first class and even coach had real food. I’ve flown first class a few times and it was a totally different world from coach. Twenty or thirty years ago even coach wasn’t so bad. Today I’ll do almost anything to avoid flying.

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | October 6, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

And just what, a bea c, is wrong with playing Spider Solitaire non-stop? It is what I do when I need to rest.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

From the link provided by DNA girl,

“My problem is that I have to write with a certain kind of reader in mind, and that person is always going to be my vision of an intelligent Canadian,” Ms. Mallick said. “I don’t write for Fox viewers.”

too funny, unfortunately instead of Fox viewers we have "Sun readers" the Canadians will understand this comment - for US readers think NY Post.

Posted by: dmd | October 6, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

A busy day, and I'm working around the house while watching a crazy Monday Night Football game, with the Vikings improbably turning turnovers (say *that* 10 times fast) into a lead despite the Saints outplaying them in all other phases of the game.

Hey, the final score's the stat that matters the most, right?

Scottynuke, thanks for posting Volume 1 of the Official Digital Optical Record (ODOR)of the MBPH.

For Boodlers that couldn't physically attend the M BPH, at least they can enjoy the unique ODOR.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 6, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Scotty. Love the pics. And you spent a bunch of time culling and putting hilarious captions on them! Above and beyond.

True thanks.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

The best two hour flight I have been on was from Saigon to Hanoi. Fantastic service and young good-looking attentive flight attendants (both male and female, just so I don't come off as a sexist pig). Third world airlines actually bother to try to impress.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I come from a long line of solitaire players, but do not play myself. Knitting relaxes me. But, I like seeing my dad play solitaire at the computer hunt and peck style.

CPBoy was very surprised to know that the card game of solly came before the computer version.

He thinks (thought), partly due to the number of large poker decks in the house, that cards are for poker. And, endless games of war.

I showed his buds how to take ruined decks and clip them with clothes pins to bike spokes, this very summer. Genius! They thought I invented the trick.

Sleepy. Must take doggy out to inspect the property and see if the owl is aloft. Take care. Hope to hear better news for Moose's MIL. And, would like a DandyLion Daddy update on the morrow.

Posted by: College Parkian | October 6, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Miss Toronto, I believe I was the only one there who wore a necktie. Joel was the other guy, the one whose ear I was bending.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 6, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

When flying communist, definitely fly China Air over Aeroflot, Miss Toronto. Taipei's far better to get stuck on a layover than Moscow is.

Don't ask me how I know, or why a "soviet gulag" came so easily to mind. With guns.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 6, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

And Moose -- my best to your MIL for her recovery and to you and your family in this difficult time.

We missed you, but you had far more important things to do.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 6, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

While ScienceTim had a necktie with astonomical stuff on it --- Joel did indeed wear a tie -- (and I think it had flowers!)

Posted by: nellie | October 6, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

yes, ScienceTim, I see your tie has a space theme... hard to discern Joel's design but looks like Maple leaves to me? abstract representation... of course.

okay it's late, must--get--to--bed--and--pry--my--fingers--away--from--keyboard!!!

Posted by: Miss Toronto | October 6, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Those improbable standards for stewardesses still exist. While in Narita I saw a line of six JAL attendants walking down the hallway in lockstep. The didn't vary more than one inch in height or five pounds in weight from one end to the other. Only the length of their shiny black hair varied.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

speaking of guns Wilbrod... I actually saw a bottle of vodka for sale which was life size kalashnikov... it was around $700. I was tempted to buy it as a joke but, the thought of it being broken on Aeroflot was not very appealing!

Posted by: Miss Toronto | October 6, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

A vodka bazooka? Strange are the ways of the world.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 6, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Joel certainly has his standards: a flowered tie and jeans. I suppose that was his dress attire for the MBPH. It was appropriate.

Yoki, was your freeloader a fellow with a receding hairline? If so, I can make a good guess.

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

ahh, aeroflot, good times.

frosti, hope your ankle heals quickly.

moose, best wishes to your mil. hope they find the most effective treatment quickly.

scottyn, thanks for the great pics and captions!

cp and others, thanks for all the great commentary.

Posted by: L.A. lurker | October 6, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Bad Sneakers - Mo hugs are wonderful. Having met Mo, effervescent is the adjective that springs to my mind!

Moose - I am so sorry about the difficult time your poor MIL is having. It really is a horrible disease.

Yes, Joel was wearing a tie...I noted it at the time. It was quite...noticeable! A pink and green flower kind of thing...I really liked it, perfect with jeans.

It's fun to look at the pics, Scotty, thanks for doing all of that.

Also, I wanted to mention how much I enjoyed the portion of the fortune cookie that I managed to snag...delicious. The sinfest strip really had Slyness and I cracking up.

Gosh, took me back there for a moment, CP. Clothes pins and cards on the spokes...too funny.

Off to bed, partying and coming home to chaos has kicked my you-know-what.

Posted by: Kim | October 6, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

OK, I have to apologize, most heartfeltly. I've been reproached and feel it, for possibly holding this fellow up to ridicule.

The simple fact was that he struck me. His behaviour was outrageous, but he was charming and interesting to speak to, and I sort of admired him.

Let us leave it alone now.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Joel had a tie? Really? Somehow, I ... well, I mean to say, I ... I didn't notice it. Such a poor observer I am. I am ashamed.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 6, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their experiences (and pix!) from the MBPH. I hope to attend some day.

Posted by: Fifty | October 6, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I have always depended on the kindness of stangeness.

Posted by: Boko | October 6, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Boko, you Rock.

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

A new "Dispatch from the 'Real Economy'" from the Boss:

Selling anything in this economy's tough buisness; even dreams, as it turns out.

Speaking of which, Joel's heading for Nevada... Good Heavens, you don't suppose that he's been Dispatched there to write something about how the economic crisis is affecting, er, um, *that* business, do ya?

Right.
Gambling or farming.

Couldn't be that Other business, could it?

bc

Posted by: bc | October 6, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke, you are a prince among men. There is something heroic about taking all these photos editing, and captioning them. Super-hero-ish really.

Thank you so very much for to each and everyone of you, planners and attendees alike, for making the MBPH at a distance possible.

Posted by: dr | October 6, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

"Somehow, I ... well, I mean to say, I ... I didn't notice it."

Well, NonObservantTim, that is o.k. Just don't choose a career in science.

Posted by: nellie | October 6, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Sox just beat LA to go to the ALCS and face Tampa Bay (no longer called Devil) Rays. S'nuke will be very happy when he wakes up in the morning. ;-)

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | October 6, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

nellie, that's what I was thinking! Too funny. That's ok, he was partying, off duty. And what was ScienceSpouse knitting? By the way, my Sweet Autumn clematis is blooming and looking quite lovely. At least it was before the rains hit.

Is that the Red Sox, Sneaks? Weren't the White Sox in the playoffs too? I know the Cubbies are out - but I can't keep up with this at all.

Posted by: mostlylurking | October 6, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

The Saints/Vikes game's pretty wild -- Reggie Bush just ran a second punt back for a TD to put the Saints back into the lead. He slipped and fell running another back, else he might have had a third.

According to the MNF broadcast team (speaking of Kornheiser...), a blocked FG run back for a TD, two punt returns of over 50 yards for TDs and a TD pass from a non-QB has never occurred in the same game before. And it's tied 27-27 with 7 minutes left. Good stuff.

[Please note that I resisted drawing any connections between this comment and my 11:25 above. Gambling on professional sports is illegal where I am at the moment, and I'll leave the other jokes about Saints, players' names and scoring to others. (Mudge).]

bc
bc

Posted by: bc | October 6, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Mostlylurking, MY sweet autumn clematis ia alive, well --- and about two feet tall! I bought it from mail order, (I think at the same time you found your's in a nursery) and it was small to start with, but I will be dead and gone -- long, long gone, before this plant covers the wall it is on, and flowers.

Posted by: nellie | October 7, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Dang allergies.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 7, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

nellie, the clematis may surprise you yet. I've had others that grew so slowly, and then finally took off. I hope that's what yours does.

Oh, and I see, Tampa beat the White Sox.

Posted by: mostlylurking | October 7, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm just thankful that I was able to maintain a relatively low profile at Saturday's gathering. Seldom have I been pleased with the results when my name was mentioned prominently!

Posted by: Bob S. | October 7, 2008 2:59 AM | Report abuse

dang, dang allergies.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 7, 2008 3:45 AM | Report abuse

The evolution of man is over. Looks like us old guys aren't pulling our weight anymore. I know I don't.

Posted by: shreiking denizen | October 7, 2008 4:01 AM | Report abuse

And it's scrape the windshield day. Woohoo!

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 7, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

I kilt it! I kilt it!

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 7, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, I enjoy spider solitaire myself. But, when that has been my dad's sole occupation for almost four years, I can see him aging at light speed. When I talk to him, I can tell he's slipping. The game may be challenging at times, and entertaining, but it is not very stimulating to the brain after 1000 games in a row.

Moose, I'm sorry about your MIL. I wish I could have met you.

Posted by: a bea c | October 7, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning, you all.

Oh, my Shriek, frost already? We don't even have frost on the pumpkin weather, yet. In the 50s here.

Scotty, you take truly lovely pictures.

Moose, DandyLion and Jack, warm thoughts for you during this time, having a loved one so sick is just plain hard, only way I can express it.

Yes, Sneakers, your hair is blond and lovely.

I read Joel's article which bc linked to. I'm not surprised, it's a sign of the times when new auto sales go way down. On the flip side, auto repair shops usually see more business, as people make do with what they have. My 2000 volvo wagon is in the shop right now, nothing too serious, but couldn't put if off any longer.

Mo, I thought your "earthy princess" gift to Joel was quite unique, I found an interesting link, related. Will try to post it later.

Posted by: VintageLady | October 7, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Re:

I dunno SD, this may be an elaborate setup for what Steve Jones really means to say, which is "honey I'm leaving you for a younger chick"

Posted by: DNA Girl | October 7, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Morning all.

I read that story about evolution. Eh. I do hope, however, that it will be the final knell for the Hitleresque dreams for a race of superAryans. Not that the idea isn't completely discredited anyway.

Frosti, you up yet? I hope the ankle is better this morning.

Posted by: slyness | October 7, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Bonjour les Boodleurs.

Vroom, vroom. Slept surprisingly long. Off to watch the Boodles' six o'clock. :o)

Posted by: Brag | October 7, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Testing--sumptin's wrong

Posted by: Brag | October 7, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Sneaks, I'm VERY happy this morning!!! *extra Snoopy dances* :-)

I'm glad everyone enjoys the pics, I hope to have the remainder up tonight or tomorrow. And one of these days I'll release the DVD of "MBPHers Gone Wild" for the right price.

Hey, who knew breaking things could lead to prizes??!?

*rejoicing-over-needing-coffee-instead-of-Diet-Pepsi-this-chilly-morning-and-reaching-for-my-Red-Sox-tie Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 7, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I was knitting black fishnet fingerless gloves for one of the SciKids. 'Course, I've frogged and restarted the darn thing 3 times since then. Who knew there were drawbacks to designing and knitting at the same time?

Good to meet all of you. I might come again, if the BPH is ever in a quieter setting. Never liked noisy bars when I was young; like them less now. I am astounded that so many of you traveled so far to get here!

And, LostInThought, I apologize for the snarky comment about your shoes. They're really very cute - just can't imagine wearing them myself. Alcohol makes me even less tactful than usual.

Posted by: The ScienceSpouse | October 7, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Finally!
The truth about Saakashvili and his Georgian democracy is coming out.

Posted by: Brag | October 7, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Re: Joel's latest, my commute takes me past quite a few dealerships, and it's easy to see the inventory is not moving. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 7, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I didn't kilt it after all. Ouf!

Ah! DNA Girl. Still, there are lots of guy who stay with the same woman and buy a red sport car. Mind you I bought a grey Subie mini-ute, but I am so boring.

I saw a very nice buck , big-bodied with 4 or 6 points, that has just been killed on the airport parkway yesterday. The deer was big enough, it must have been 250-300lbs on the hoof, that the car sustain subtantial damage. That baby would have been the pride of a hunter, if hunting were permitted within city limit.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 7, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

My dad is on his second red sports car (although separated by a sedan or two) but still with mom (33 years). Got his first around his 40th b-day and the second just recently after turning 60.

But as to the article, aren't the number of births to mothers over 35 going up and by extension wouldn't their husbands be of similar age?

Posted by: astromom | October 7, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I see that those three guys beat me to the Nobel Prize in physics. Harumph.

Mr. Cohen makes a good point regarding the MSM treatment of Gov. Palin, as opposed to Sen. Clinton. He makes the point that, in 1996, William Safire stated in his column that HRC was a congenital liar. Mr. Cohen goes on to say that if the same was asserted about Gov. Palin, that the response would resemble the serial winker boodle. I'm disappointed that the faire de jour for both campaigns has shifted to the dark side. There are bigger issues that need to be addressed. As was so succinctly stated in the past: "It's the economy, stupid."

Posted by: jack | October 7, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Oops. Here's the link:

Posted by: jack | October 7, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

It may be that quite a number of women were dying inthe birthing process, right at the moment or later from infections. The widow with some property and other desirable traits would quickly remarry with a younger woman. Back in the old days some men buried quite a number of younger wives around here.

It's amazing what you can read if you're up half the night.
Obituary of a Russian cartoonist, Yefimov.
Taking Pascal's Wager, albeit late in life.
"When Mr. Yefimov was just 107, several Israeli newspapers reported that he was very likely the oldest living Jew, though he began to practice his religion only when he was 100."
The man lived in interesting times.
"Only reluctantly did the editor of Izvestia agree to print the words of Trotsky, who by then was on Stalin’s bad side. The editor was executed for this decision."

Posted by: shrieking denizen | October 7, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all. Another day, another contractor headache.

I had a great time at the MBPH. Lots of laughs. I haven't had such a good time in a long time. Truly great seeing everyone in one room, even though I think of the boodle as a big old living room with nice comfy sofas.

SciSpouse, no worries. I buy my shoes for me. They're like de Heems...still art, just on an unusual canvas (and who looks at the canvas?) And like art, different people have different tastes. My taste tends to go toward tall and strappy. (I really could run in them, but why would I?)

Off to deal with my day. Well, to the best of ability. Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 7, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. I just can't seem to get enough sleep. Just getting up.

Scotty, if I'm not in your pictures, that is okay with me. I don't take good pictures, and certainly will not be offended in the least if I'm not in the lot. And I'm very serious.

Mudge, Slyness, Martooni, you folks still sleeping too? Morning, everyone.*waving*

Is the debate tonight? I guess the conversation is already on tap, the economy? How to plug up all those holes that are spilling blood or money? This administration has less than thirty days to go, and it looks like the country is going to tank before it's over. I've never seen the likes before.

I got some things done yesterday, will try to finish the rest today. It's looks a little cloudy outside. Yesterday was so beautiful, hard to do any work, just wanted to be outside and take it all in. I saw my dad, and he's okay. Also saw my daughter and the g-girl. I called the grandsons, but did not get an answer. I left a message.

Have a great day, folks. GWE, the beans were good. Thanks, again.

CP, I read the books you gave me in bed last night. I fell asleep with the big one in hand. I know they're for the kids, but I like reading them too.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cassandra s | October 7, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Scottynuke, thanks again for the MBPH ODOR pics.

In response to the question "Guess Who?", my guess is 'Stuart Weitzman?'

On an unrelated note, I expect that a lot of the Wall St. players will be buying early then selling in the afternoon, expecting the market to go up about 150 pts or so in that time.

bc

Posted by: bc | October 7, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

And yet another link, to an article by David Brooks, regardint the economic crisis, the need for leadership that will take us to beter economic shores, and the propensity of the Presidential campaign to be focused on matters that have marginal relavance to the economic issues at hand.

Posted by: jack | October 7, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

scc still life, but you knew what I meant. And yes, bc, those are Stuart Weitzmans...good eye.

Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 7, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, you WILL be in the next update of the pics, trust me -- I believe I'd be appearing on the business end of a number of dartboards around the continent if I deprived folks of seeing you having such a marvelous time!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 7, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

We still see the older gene pool effect in action among musicians and actors. How many kids do Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger have between themselves? Plus they have done plenty of chromosomal damage in their early years to really up the genetic diversity factor. Aging rock stars may be the future of the species.

In high school, our English teacher drove up in a Jaguar one day. Knowing she didn't purchase that on a teacher's salary, we asked her about it. Her response was, "My husband said that he needed either a mistress, a car, or a boat. So off to the auto dealer we went."

My dad has fifteen-plus-year-old red Miata with less than 40,000 miles on it. It's the only thing I hope to inherit.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 7, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Joel's car lot observations seem applicable in this corner of Florida.

Pearlstein's column today, about bubbles everywhere bursting all at once, is up to his Pulitzer standard. He's amazing. Sort of like writers on health matters who explain things better than actual MDs.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | October 7, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of high heels:

I'm glad I'm not a foot-fetishist, because that would have thrown me over the edge.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 7, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

g'morning boodle, hi Slyness. I can tell the ankle is improving because I slept through the night and right past my usual wake-up. Thanks to all for your concern.

Real excitement at the Frostrent house-the Obama staffer my parents are hosting is recently retired from his work as an economist with the World Bank. Nice to have an economist in the house these days-though he's not one of those "things aren't all that bad" types at all-leaning more to very sobering.

I better get some work done-need to get a grant proposal finished before I return home while the foundation we're courting still has money to give away.

Posted by: frostbitten | October 7, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Well, when I picked up a drink at the megaBPH and took a sip, at least I *THOUGHT* it was mine.

Isn't it the thought that counts?

And I hope I didn't do anything rude, like talk to a woman's bosom, I screw that one up all the time too. I should just apologize in advance. Thanks to all who provided orientation, the volume of the media devices eclipsed my abilities, but I think I did well with the excellent help.

Dad is doing great. Moose, best wishes for MIL. Missed you.

Posted by: DandyLion | October 7, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I've been over at the new kit Boodle-hogging.

Sorry.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 7, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

We're on our second small red roadster. The first was an old Mercury Capri (remember them?) that I bought used when the owner's wife got pregnant. That was not a great car. Dontated it for tax purposes and bought a used Miata from (no, really!) a nice older lady in Vienna. Still have it--has 220,000 miles on it now but still goes very well. Oh, for practical purposes we have an old clunker Volvo wagon that replaced the Dodge Caravan that blew it's third transmission. Unfortunately, the Volvo has cost us more than twice what we paid for it in repairs in the last year and a half. It's a nice car, when it runs!

Posted by: ebtnut | October 7, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

*Thinks a troll would never actually say that in person to a 6 foot blind person who can still punch somebody's light out with proper guidance.*

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 7, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

No, he's a blind guy. Completely blind.

And if you had any marbles about the disabled you'd know that it's a common worry about inadvertently giving offense through aspects of your handicap you cannot handle.

I've met him. Perfect gentleman in person. More than I'd suspect you are.

Posted by: Wilbrod | October 7, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse