Palin to Endorse Obama?

Republican apostasy runs riot. Every day, nay every hour, another Republican clears his or her throat and, after offering the ritual respect for Sen. McCain, throws him under the Obama bandwagon. This morning the venerable Sen. Matthias, a Republican from Maryland, endorsed Obama, joining such GOP luminaries as Colin Powell, Scott McClellan and Achenblog fave Chris Buckley.

Tony Blankley last week excoriated the "wet-fingered conservatives" (great phrase) who have been dazzled by Obama. David Frum answers today.

I think it's obvious which Republican will be the next to endorse Obama: Sarah Palin.

She's clearly gunning for 2012. McCain is an albatross at this point. The Palin camp and McCain camp aren't getting along. If he does somehow shoot the moon and win the election, that might put off her presidency until 2016, and she doesn't seem like the patient type. Thus I'm guessing that by Thursday or Friday at the latest she will endorse Obama, saying that we need a Democrat in the White House to expose the Marxist-Leninist ideology and general godlessness of Obama's party, opening the way to a new GOP-dominated, NRA-approved, Nieman-Marcus-attired, wolf-free era of prosperity.

I can see this stuff coming a mile away.

Here's a sign of how much trouble McCain's in: Obama is killing him in Sweden! [Click on oddly hypnotic graph -- hat tip to Mike Allen.]

The McCain camp hasn't given up, choosing to seize on RedistributionGate as a last-ditch effort to paint Obama as a pinko. Inconveniently, Obama did not in fact say what his critics insisted he said.

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 28, 2008; 10:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wolf Country
Next: Baseball in the Snow

Comments

Gov. Palin was reciting her lisst of Joes yesterday at a rally. Joe Mama came up, and the crowd went wild. Wet fingered conservatives. *L*

Posted by: -jack- | October 28, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

With what are their fingers wet? Willies? I don't get the reference.

Posted by: Gomer144 | October 28, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I presume the reference is to putting their finger up to see which way the wind is blowing, then go that way, rather than being rock-bound in your views no matter the circumstance.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 28, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Shameless repost; now on topic:

Seems to me the logical analysis of the latest McPalin sally is the following:
Redistribution of wealth is unfair,
All taxes are redistribution of wealth,
therefore
All taxes are unfair.

I'm surprised no one has publicly called them on this. It would put them in the uncomfortable position of backtracking; explaining they are not calling for an end to all taxes, not pro anarchy, etc. Surely they'd pull the "flat tax" out of their -- hats at that point. Still, it would make them break stride.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I thought of one slogan for your virtual t-shirt shop –TBG-.

Coin Collectors for Obama
Change we can believe in.

or the elitist version,

Numismatists for Obama
Change we can believe in.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Among the yellows, McCain is winning in Cambodia and the Philippines. Weird.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Yikes that came out SO wrong!
I meant the yellow colors on the map Joel linked to in the kit.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 28, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Why do I have to sign in again every time I comment?

Yes I took "wet-fingered" to mean testing which way the wind is blowing.

Posted by: JoelAchenbach | October 28, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The tautology that higher capital gains taxes=socialism is so ridiculous that it can't bear up to any scrutiny but the effort to refute just causes eyeballs to roll up.

You are either predisposed to the "all taxes are wrong" meme or not.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Jumper: We had dinner at the melting pot last night. We should plan a Queen City BPH at a mutually convenient spot, like the Penguin.

Posted by: -jack- | October 28, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure Sarah Palin could get her supporters to sing along to a rousing chorus of "Throw The Jew In The Well" if she were so disposed.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Limitation on taxes has been a GOP mantra for at least the past century. High tax rates for high incomes is bad because it takes money away that would be invested in industry and commerce. What then conveniently don't say is where the money will come from for the basics - defense, public infrastructure, etc. Tarrifs ain't gonna cut it. I agree in general that raising taxes is probably not the best thing to do in the midst of a financial melt-down. OTOH, the tax code really does need some refining, and we do need to look at spending that isn't really necessary (Bridge to Nowhere, etc.). And someone needs to re-think priorities. I saw the other day that the Feds are looking to dump another $90M into a furhter maglev study, when even the people who have experience with the technology (see, Germany) have abandoned the idea. How about we take the $90M and buy some transit agency hybrid busses?

Posted by: ebtnut | October 28, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

From Milbank this morning:

///"Sarah Oh-Twelve!" bellowed a man in field coat and jeans, one of several thousand at the Leesburg rally, when Palin spoke about her tax policies yesterday.///

Palin-Paul In Oh-Twelve!

Now there is a great ticket.

Posted by: PopSocket | October 28, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

More from Milbank:

///The oh-twelve message, if mathematically flawed, seemed to capture the crowd's sentiment. There were "I [Heart] Palin" bumper stickers on cars, "Team Sarah" T-shirts in pink, "Sarah!" pins and countless signs: "You Go Girl." "You're in Palin Country." "Maverick Barracuda." One of the souvenir vendors said his most popular offering was a pin showing Palin next to a pit bull and the usual "McCain-Palin" logo reversed, with her name first and in larger letters.///

I have a new hero. I <3 Sarah. Palin just makes me pop with conservative pride.

Posted by: PopSocket | October 28, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

The Cow Moose Party will probably emerge in 2012 as Republicans attempt to reinvent the party at the centennial of the Progressive Party of 1912.

Posted by: -tao- | October 28, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

ebtnut - just purchase the right hybrid buses, little problem currently in Toronto

Posted by: dmd2 | October 28, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sara Palin needs to stick with the guy who brought her to the big dance, better not be drifting...

Posted by: VintageLady | October 28, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The McCain campaign hq. must be the most depressing place on earth. Wolves howling outside.

Wolves lining up at the pina colada concession.

Wolves congratulating Achenbach and Yoki.

Wolves following the bandwagon and licking their chops.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | October 28, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh, now this is fine: Teddy Roosevelt on the current state of affairs, using real quotes.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Grrrrrr this thingie is giving me problems. testing

Posted by: Braguine | October 28, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wolves with Chinese menus in their hands...

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Gonna get a big dish of moose chow mein?

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"She's clearly gunning for 2012."

Come on, she can't even handle "Meet the Press".

She's getting a free pass on the fact that she's mentally incapable of handling serious press interviews.

Am I the only one to notice that???

Posted by: republican_disaster | October 28, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Chinese Recipe

Posted by: -tao- | October 28, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

and his hair was perfect......dit....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 28, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I respectully disagree that the "all taxes are wrong" meme exists except among the most hardcore. The "Mad Max contingent." Several other more weasel-worded memes do exist, and we are hearing them now. A Republican relative when pressed admits he's not against ALL taxes - just taxes HE has to pay.

jack, I would like to hang out at Penguin. Email me at my contact at

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Sounds delish, tao.

Yoki, cancel my Lobster au Bawlmer. I've having Stir-Fried Moose with Asparagus.

r_d (not to be confused with rd),
Right now I'd say about 53% of the populace recognizes that. We won't know for sure until Tuesday

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

But speaking of memes, I offer "road-rage Republican."

And "LOLkit," which this one is, Joel.

Also, republican-disaster is right. Hiding from the press is an odd way to further ones political career. Me, I think she's got Senate on her mind. Good luck with that.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd disagree with you there Jumper. The little story my dad sent along fits in well with the "taxes=theft" world view.

At lunch my liberal boss gave a long detailed story about his self-employed carpenter brother in Idaho that wants nothing to do with any government. The hypocrisy of his wife's cancer treatment through a state-run program because he has no insurance escapes him.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to the Penguin, Jack and Jumper, I'm in.

Congrats on the new contract, Yoki! Hope it works out well for you and the firm.

Posted by: slyness | October 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all. It's been an extra-happy morning.

I'm truly dumbfounded by the suggestion that Palin has any future other than retiring to the tundra to lick her wounds, never to emerge again. OMG.

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Remember the joy of the year's first snowfall?
Remember?

*SIGH*

Posted by: Boko999 | October 28, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Conclusion of World Series Game 5 postponed to Wednesday... Dangit.

Of course, I don't want bad weather determining the quality of play, but I was hoping to actually see the end of a game live this time... *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Good luck with the storm Boko and Shriek - look out for falling tree limbs.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The snow has started out in the boonies Boko? Downtown is still dry but somber and blustery.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

If you read the Weingarten chat today, the totally obscene Citizen Ruth quote is the last one on this page:

Another one of my public services to inform and entertain.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The snow has started out in the boonies boko? Downtown it's still dry but somber and blustery. It smells like snow but there ain't no snow yet.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The snoe has started out in the boonies boko? Downtown it's still dry but somber and blustery. It smells like snow but there ain't no snow yet.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Gesundheit, Shriek... :-)

Snow flurries possible tonight and tomorrow here. *Snoopy dances*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Most definitely, Slyness. It's been too long since our last meeting! And sluggard though I might be, I want to see if I can get you to come to some Basil's breakfasts. So we could talk about it there.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The Christian Science Monitor will soon be an on line only publication.

Posted by: -jack- | October 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Snow? Brrrr. Bundle up boodlers. More reason to vote early if you can.

My son sent in for his absentee ballot. My wife is worried it won't get to him in time. I think he would have been more helpful registering in Georgia and boosting the cause there.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I'm so happy about Yoki winnin' that thar client, I felt a little country & western lawyer song comin' on, and it goes

a little something

like this:

(Bearing in mind that this song makes no more sense than the original version Dewey Bunnell wrote, so don't go looking for stuff that ain't there, like linear thought patterns, sound reasoning, sensible lyrics, etc.)

On my first job up in Calgary

You see I searched through the courts for a Norse with a claim
It felt good to bring in the rain
In Calgary you can remember your torts
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you mugworts
La, la ...

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 28, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Delightful, 'Mudge. Thank you. Funny. Awesome!

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Jumper and slyness. Our schedule is loosening up a bit with the end of band season. I'll get back with the two of you.

Posted by: -jack- | October 28, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Bravo!

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The snoe was before the snow posting. I don't know whose server is drinking electronic pina colada but there is something wrong somewhere.

Mudge, Good show!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. I was betrayed by that &*^%$#@&^% Achenblog "Held for Review" screen. If ya were holding the damn thing, why'd ya then go and post it, ye scurvy filter?

(I.e., sorry for the double post. That's more Norses with claims than anyone can be expected to tolerate.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 28, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

ebtnut, I saw that maglev stuff and wondered if those folks remembered the 70s.

It appears that the Republican tide is going out, inexorably, as sea changes send to.

If Obama wins an overwhelming majority, can we call it a tsunami instead of a landslide?

If the thong, er, flip-flop, um no, *sandal* fits, wear it.

Mudge, *you* keep the thongs (resisting the obvious thing-thong jokes).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 28, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

They have always been Zori at our house.

Posted by: -tao- | October 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Always keep some zori
Right beside the door-ey

***realizing that my pomer skilz will never match mudge's***

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Zori, in my California college dorm, referred to the velvet strapped-straw footbed thongs popular in the 70s.

Thongs, always and even now, mean rubber flippy-floppy sandals from the drug store at about 39 Cents, back in the day. They were the only thing from Japan, at that time, that I think I owned. This shoe option bespoke the wonder that is barefoot (nearly) summer. But, you had to break in that strap between Big Toe and No. Two Toe.

These summer options were augmented briefly by the Dr. Scholl wooden-bed sandals. (1975-80 or so) Those shoes were so loud as to be banned from high school. Fine weapons; doubled as emergency hammers, too.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

All those thonged footwear fall into the slipper category in our state. Zori is the term used by old-timers but by and large, slipper is the word of choice.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | October 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Has everybody seen the story about the old man at the White House in Weingarten's chat? I nearly fell out of my seat.

Indianapolis, Ind.: One sunny day in 2009 an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue, where he'd been sitting on a park bench.

He spoke to the U.S. Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."

The Marine looked at the man and said, "Sir, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here."

The old man said, "Okay" and walked away.

The following day, the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."

The Marine again told the man, "Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here."

The man thanked him and, again, just walked away.

The third day, the same man approached the White House and spoke to the very same U. S. Marine, saying, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."

The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked at the man and said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Bush. I've told you already that Mr. Bush is no longer the president and no longer resides here. Don't you understand?"

The old man looked at the Marine and said, "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it."

The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, "See you tomorrow."

Gene Weingarten: Nice.

Posted by: slyness | October 28, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Somehow I missed it, but I know the elusive moment existed as some hypothetical razor-slice that divides the past from the future; that moment that it changed from "principled Conservatives bravely and admirably resist the power" to "rats leaving the sinking ship."

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Jumper,
I would put that line somewhere between the Colin Powell and the Scott McClellan endorsements.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't you people know that you should never, ever mention a no-hitter?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 28, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Check this out, fellow boodlers -- it's pretty good, in a somewhat painful kind of way http://roschellenelson.blogspot.com/2008/10/sad-truth-about-sarah-palin-video.html

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 28, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 28, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Is that right? Is that an old basketball superstition?

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 28, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, RD, for your 4:31 pm.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Ayuh, it's best not to mention those basketball no-hitters. Yup. You betcha.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 28, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

All right, yello, I've been thinking about it. You are basically arguing for the existence of an "unspoken meme" and my first impulse was to deny its possibility. I'm not sure why. I guess I figured you had to BLAB the meme for it to be propagated. After some thought I realize of course you don't have to.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

firstimer - The video that you recommended at 4:44, 4:446, & 4:47 is pretty cool. A couple a thoughtful young'uns there.

Posted by: bobsewell | October 28, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

The meme is as old as the Hagar cartoon with him facing the tax collectors. It's the foundation of most libertarian thought as opposed to the social contract concept.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I concur with the concept of an unspoken meme... often echoing an ugly impulse that lies underneath all the rationalizations and dare not speak its name.

I understand reading Fish & Stream is relaxing for relieving that urge, as long as your mother doesn't catch you at it.

I will forbear from delving into shaving analogies. But yes, I do think George killed his wife.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I concur with the concept of an unspoken meme... as in ugly selfish impulse that dare not speak its name, underlying all the rationalizations.

I will forbear from delving into shaving analogies. But yes, I do think George killed his finacee.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

JA, looks like I'm asked to log in once a day, the rest of the day it signs me in automatically once I click on sign in.

It *snowed* here today in Philadelphia. Started out as cold rain, then changed to huge, platter-sized flakes which blanketed the ground. It's as if Philadelphia has moved to Wisconsin. . . it's all gone now, long time passing, gone to rain, everyone.

Time for bed. 'Night, Boodle.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 28, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

*(^*&^%*&%&^%$^&$.

Mudge, give me that whale harpoon, thar blows that blasted Moveable Type!

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

even the boss has to sign into his own blog?

i'm holding my breath till next tues midnite or wed am...

i'll be over in the corner muttering and looking at this to keep my anxiety down...

*warning - cavity alert!*

Posted by: mortii | October 28, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Crist extends voting hours

"He just blew Florida for John McCain," one plugged in Florida Republican just told me.

The Buzz reports:

At a hastily arranged news conference, Crist said the right to vote is sacred and that "many have fought and died for this right." He said he consulted a leading Democratic legislator, Rep. Dan Gelber of Miami Beach, before issuing his order, and that Gelber knew of a similar order issued by Gov. Jeb Bush in 2002 that dealt with helping voters deal with new equipment.

As to the perception that more early voting helps Democrats, Crist said: "This is not a political decision. This is a people decision."

Democrats had urged the extension, which means that votes will be cast 12 hours a day, not eight hours a day.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

mo... there's only one word for that site you linked to...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

How are early bird specials bad for McCain?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Why am I not surprised this was invented by a couple of guys?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

After the big morning, I feel I should be somewhere special, beautifully dressed and sipping champagne and being vaunted. Instead, I'm vacuuming and making supper.

Life, not lifestyle. Isn't is wonderful?

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Good evening.

Here is another interesting map of how the world feels. Maybe not as reliable, but interesting to see.

Colombia, not surprisingly, leans to McCain. Our current president is pretty right-leaning. And, the whole thing with the free trade agreement and labor leaders getting killed makes the Dems less likely to go along with what will benefit Colombia most.

Posted by: abeac1 | October 28, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Yoki... consider yourself vaunted.

:-)

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Hi a bea c!

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I've been looking around for an explanation, and now I'm relying on the wisdom of the Boodle.

Yesterday morning, as I drove to work, I noticed a hand-painted sign posted in a cleared field reading "It's knight time". I don't know why it bothered me. I looked for it in the afternoon, but as I drive in the opposite direction at that time, I didn't see it. By this morning, it was gone.

There are no Knight sports teams in the area. There are no Knight politicians running for anything. I've searched on Google and can't find anything.

I thought it might be the Knights of Columbus, but they don't have a Council in that county, and hand-painted signs doesn't sound like them.

I keep thinking about that sign and it makes me uneasy. Is there any significance to "knight time" that I've heard of and can't recall?

Posted by: abeac1 | October 28, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

C'est life, but at least you can ambush family with the news. Well done, and long live those Norwegians, bless their wallets.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Hi TBG!

Posted by: abeac1 | October 28, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Hi a bea c!

Thank you, TBG.

You're right, Wilbrod.

And now I've had sufficient validation from you all, and will go back to being my normal, retiring self.

Thanks all. Have a great evening.

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hellooooo?

Posted by: rickoshea0 | October 28, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

"I'm vacuuming and making supper." Surely, you're not doing one from the proceedings of the other? It's a good idea but with dogs and cats in the house the pickings are going to be pretty slim.

The dogs had their first walkie in horizontal snow this year. She blows hard that one.
The old fool had his first roll in the snow and the young one made a couple of puppy runs and caught snowballs thrown at him. Tomorrow morning is going to be perfect snowman-making weather. And yet 15C(60F) temperature is expected Friday.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

The extended early-voting hours for Florida are good news, and Gov. Crist's decision will be good for his own popularity and probably for the Florida Republican Party, which dominates politics in the state.

I don't have the heart to read Pearlstein's column on the Chrysler-GM "merger". I'll be surprised if Chrysler remains in business, and wouldn't be surprised if GM ends up as a European-Asian firm with Honda-sized operations in the US. I also wonder what'll happen to Mazda. I think Ford is trying to sell its stake, which means Mazdas would no longer amount to nice European Fords made in Japan. Japan has its own surfeit of car companies. Could Mazda simply be loaded onto the dock at Hiroshima and go to India?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 28, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, this one's for you.

fivethirtyeight.com does it again:

Posted by: slyness | October 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone went to bed early, or is there some sports thing on TV?

Posted by: badsneakers | October 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Hi, mo! Hi, a bea c! Hi, tao (who were you before?).

I have to sign in every time I want to comment. It's annoying. I'm using Firefox...and you know, at the top of the page it says "Hello seasea", so it seems like I'm already signed in anyway (that's how I knew what my id was). Sigh.

I've said for years that baseball goes way too late. The Series should be over by mid-October. Or they should play in a warm, neutral place.

Posted by: seasea | October 28, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh Dave, I hope Mazda doesn't go away, I love my Mazda 3 and I'm hoping to get another Miata some day!

I've just realized that I don't read any news that isn't either about the election, weather, or local. Boy it will be nice to get back to normal after next Tuesday (I hope!).

Posted by: badsneakers | October 28, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

It's strange seasea. I'm using firefox as well and clicking "please sign in" at the bottom of the comments causes the comment box to appear nicely. On this computer, my personal laptop, I even dared clicking the "remember me" box and I do not even have to really sign in.
The underscore annoys me but what can you do?

-tao- is a flavour of shiloh, if I understood correctly.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

finally can sign on from iPhone completely random have sporadically backboodled from conference. Great Kits Joel. Howdy gomer congrats yoki. Folks here not liberal seem to think palin scary and election decided. Boy took first and second in fencing tournaments last weekend and competing again Saturday. More comments must wait.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 28, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

shrieking denizen, you make me laugh. Unseemly so.

First I vacuumed, and then I washed my hands, and then I cooked supper. Better now?

Supper was a roasted pork tenderloin, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with garlic, sea salt, fresh savory and pepper. Excellent roasted cauliflower with sweated garlic. Green beans (thanks, gwe, for the last of the good beans!) sauteed with shallots and almond-slivers. Himself had a wee dish of buttered egg-noodles, but I didn't, because I wish to be slim again in my mid-life examination.

Love you Boodle. Exhausted.

To bed, to bed, to sleep
off all this
nonsense I have said.

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

G'night, Yoki. Dinner sounds yummy.

Thanks, SD...I guess what annoys me is I have to click on "Please sign in" each time I want to comment. I don't have to do anything other than click. I'm easily annoyed. What's worse are those dang big ads when I go to a page here...grrr.

I was in McCain/Palin country over the weekend, with a few Obama signs thrown in to give me hope. Also met a couple from St Louis who had been to the huge rally there. They weren't too optimistic that Obama would take MO, but I sure hope so.

Posted by: seasea | October 28, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Glad you enjoyed my feeble attempt at humour Yoki.
Your dinner sounded positively summery. I switched to fall mode, we had the beef& carrot stew (boeuf-carottes) I made Sunday. Simplest recipe on Earth yet when the carrots are sweet and the cross-rib tasty it is heavenly. It was a darn good one, the good butcher left a couple of bones on the piece of meat and it makes a difference. Leftover will be fought over.

Snow still falling on Halloween decorations. *sign*

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

SCC leftoverS and sigH.
Mrs. Denizen had a visitor from San Diego today. He was dismayed by the possibility of snow before Halloween. They meet again tomorrow. He will wear wet shoes.

Time to go to sleep. G'night.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Maggie, you out there? You able to read the Boodle?

Night, Yoki. You earned your keep today, Milady.

I think I'm gonna turn in, myself, Boodle. Sleep ye well.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 28, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I googled "It's Knight Time" and got lots of sports-related hits and hits for the National Night Out. So, odds are it's something perfectly innocuous.

But, out of curiosity about more-nefarious possibilities, I also googled the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. The KKK home page is... astounding. Hilarious, if it weren't evil. Proof-positive of the illogicality of white-supremacist notions. These people do not rise above the level of their own shoe-laces -- exactly whose superior do they imagine themselves to be? You really should give it a look. It's amazing. These people are really, really, stupid. And evil.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 28, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Lovely dinner, Yoki. Roasted cauliflower is yummy. Tonight, dinner was an array of left overs. Tomorrow is a spaghetti squash with gravy ala Lit/BC vernacular. Shaved parmesan atop.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 28, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

good evening boodle. Quite a day with back to back meetings before work. We seem to have sent the snow on its way south to Canada without partaking ourselves. Supposed to be very nice by the weekend.

The frostfam suffered its first electoral defeat of the season tonight when Mr. F lost a bid to join the condo board at the Hip Urban Loft building. It is very refreshing to be in a HOA where there are more people willing to serve than there are openings, so this is better than winning-our new neighbors now know he was willing to take on the work, but he doesn't actually have to.

slyness-that fivethirtyeight piece on Raleigh that you linked to made me cry.

Just realized I'll be at work with no TV tomorrow night for Obama's 30 minute ad. I will have an A-blog connection if anyone should post a comment or two...

congrats Yoki!!!

Mo-glad I didn't see your cute baby animal link until after chores were done. I won't reveal how many times I went through the slide show.

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 28, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, forgot the dinner report.

Wild rice hot dish. Lake grown, hand harvested, wild rice from my hand parched stash. Hamburger, sausage, celery, onion, and those MN staples-cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix. Hot dish Nirvana.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 28, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

boeuf-carottes! *swoon*

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Knights of the Klu Klux Klan was my first reaction. But then I lived in Georgia too long.

Unless it was some sort of Moody Blues tribute:

Could go either way.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

We had salmon filets wrapped in bacon, steamed broccoli and mashed 'taters.

I'm holding my breath, along with TBG, hoping that the Democrats don't implode. Hopefully, voter turnout is going to make all of the difference. Sen. McCain's advantage in the polling for SC has dropped 5% in the past week. I wonder if the reverse Bradley effect applies here. NPR had a caller this afternoon from Charlotte that said she didn't put an Obama sticker on her vehicle to avoid the possibility of conflict. One of my wife's students expressed surprise at the revelation that she was voting for the Democratic side. Perhaps people are holding their cards close to the chest. Regardless, the advantage for Sen. McCain is at least 10% here. The demographics haven't changed as they have in NC, and I expect that SC is safely in the Red.

Posted by: -jack- | October 28, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

good evening all...I haven't even come close to catching up with everyone but I have a few observations/questions.

Yoki - what is sweated garlic? Perhaps the questions should be how do I sweat garlic and what are the benefits? Also, it sounds like congratulations are in order. Yea, Yoki!

Mo - I had a really ghastly day at work and I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed the baby animals, particularly the little piggy in boots. The pics really made me smile. Thanks for that.

I didn't get to go to the Obama rally in Norfolk and I'm really cranky about it! I didn't get home from work in enough time to get back to Norfolk for it. My son went and I'm waiting for him to get home. I got a text that said, "awesome", so I'm happy about that.

ttfn

Posted by: Kim1 | October 28, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Hello Mudge,
I'm hear, just finishing up with J. Stewart and S. Colbert.

I think my connection to the Achenblog is fixed, but now I can't get my email. I've tried every permutation of my password, but it doesn't like any of them. This happens every day or two, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I guess I'll have to call Technical Support.

Today I went to the National Gallery Pompeii Exhibit. Excellent. I recommend it -- very comprehensive but not overwhelming. The audio person told me to recommend to NOT go on the weekend if possible. That's the benefit of being unemployed or retired.

Night all.

Maggie O'D

Posted by: rickoshea0 | October 28, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Kim, that's great that your son went to the rally. Obama hasn't been here for a very long time (some time during the primary) and I couldn't go. Biden was here, but I watched on TV. I'm still nervous about the election - we have a very close governor's race with a Republican candidate who is listed on the ballot as "Prefers GOP", not "Republican".

SD, your snow dismays me, and I'm not even there. Think I'll go look at baby animals, or find the Pompeii exhibit online - sounds wonderful.

Posted by: seasea | October 29, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

howdy all
just got home a little while ago had to drag a fairly large limb off my driveway. Still some coals in the woodstove and the fire is stoked again.

heard a great song on my way home,Grateful Dead " of touch of grey" and it kind of makes more sense now that I have gotten older and greyer.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 29, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Quoth another: "This is a very big deal: Florida Governor Charlie Crist, to the shock and dismay of Florida Republicans, just moved to extend early voting hours, a move likely to widen the Democrats' lead under a program on which the Obama campaign has intensely focused."

- - -

Actually, I would submit to you that it's not a particularly big deal. I understand that the "butterfly effect" is always in play, but George Bush and a few dozen of his pals did not personally carry this nation down the path that we've trod this past decade or so, and a few votes left or right in Florida next week won't determine the future of the next decade.

We not only get the government that we deserve, but we maintain the government that we tolerate. No matter who wins this upcoming election, "OUR" responsibility to keep an eye on the silly buggers has just begun.

Posted by: bobsewell | October 29, 2008 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Who but the voter
wills the worthy, wears the weak?
Bugger butterflies

Posted by: Achaiku | October 29, 2008 3:47 AM | Report abuse

Jeez. Where's the rest of the dawn patrol? I'm going to leave some coffee in a thermos for you guys and go back to bed for a nap.

If I spend any more time on the political sites, I'll implode.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 4:26 AM | Report abuse

It's not quite dawn yet. We still have four more days of DST. And now off to dissect Dowd's latest missive.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2008 5:48 AM | Report abuse

'morning all.Jack Skellington would be happy this morning. We have 6in. of snow on the pumpkins. *sigh*
Very pretty though. The wet snow sticked to the tree branches and every other surface so it's a picture perfect Christmas morning.
I hear the coffee maker calling.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 29, 2008 6:03 AM | Report abuse

SCC stuck.
Memo to self : Never post before coffee

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 29, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Morning, everybody.

I'll take an October snow as a good omen for this election.

Wasn't that the most incredible story, Frosti? They're right, something is stirring in America.

I didn't cook last night, it was the monthly night out for all my gal pals. We went to a nearby bistro; I had an arugula salad, shrimp and artichoke crepe, and chocolate mousse cake. Then, of course, I was so full I had a hard time going to sleep. It was worth it.

It's killing me to know that I won't have time to be here all Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I'll have the laptop at the fire station design and construction conference, though, and I'll check in when I can. I hate that I won't be on deck for Tuesday evening.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

Have you ever noticed how delicious that first cup of coffee/tea is in the morning?

Have you ever noticed that one can get chills just reading about our friends's to the north snowfalls?

Will be waving to DC boodlers as we go with the flow in a little while to get to Washington Hosp. Center for semi annual dermatologist's exam and then out to lunch at the sailing marina (indoors today) near Reagan Nat'l. Used to be Potomack Landing, but the name has been changed. Food is good, tho.

Posted by: VintageLady | October 29, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Maureen Dowd today is doing a fake screenplay called "The Maverick Wears Prada". Here is my annotated version:

And the original, if you don't care for my commentary.

Is it sexist to note that the two people put in charge of Palin wrangling are women?

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | October 29, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Northern friends' snowfall, altho "friends's" might be in use somewhere....

Posted by: VintageLady | October 29, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Picked this up in the comments on the fivethirtyeight.com story on Raleigh last night:

Warning: may induce tears.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. It is so cold here, and I don't have the heat on. The reason? I don't know. I keep thinking if I turn the heat on that means it's winter, and winter is so depressing. I think those pain pills and their effects are kicking in big time. I didn't turn the heat on all day yesterday, but it wasn't so bad.

Martooni, Scotty, Mudge, get kicking brothers. Morning to all. *waving*

Slyness, why won't you be here Tuesday? I will check out the web site you posted.

Wednesday the busy day, and I have choc. cake today. We don't need it, but it's fun.

Yoki, you go girl. JA, when I read the title to the kit, I thought, he's been bitten by a bug in that place where he took those wonderful pictures, and his editor didn't catch the kit in time. And then, I laughed. Classic Achenbach. Of course, you lost with the "wet fingered" reference.

Have a great day, folks. I don't think we're going to get that much warmth today, but it does promise to be sunny. Small blessings, yet blessings anyway.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 29, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the coffee, SD. Cowboy strong, just as it should be.
VL --WashHospCen is near me; I appreciate having all those top docs close by. Wave at the doctor-bear hospital next door; without them, CPBoy's days would be less, well, ordinary.

Slyness, work hard but get your feet up, too.

Hey, any other recommendations on spaghetti squash other than the obvious?

I promise to post colcannon details soon. Colcannon is the OFFICIAL dish of Hallow'ed Een. Don't forget to extend the festivities to Day of the Dead on Nov. 1. Picnicking at a graveyard where the folk rest is part of

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 29, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra! Thinking of you always. For my chilly winter-is-here hands, I heat some rice in really thick freezer bags in the microwave. Be sure to vent the bag while heating. One minute works for a quart bag 3/4 full of rice. Reseal and use them as hand warmers. The pressure of warm rice grains (UNCOOKED) on achey hands is really soothing.

The bag is good for a week or so, but eventually the plastic degrades and you may dribble rice grains.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 29, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

With the wind and such this morning, there SHOULD have been snow in the air, dangit...

The wind also discombobulated the chimney work plans yesterday, so a few more days of space heaters at the NukeHaus.

But is IS Hump Day, and the Dawn Patrol's Brunswick Corridor was fairly nondescript, so things can't be that bad. Where's the coffee??

*really-looking-forward-to-an-extra-hour's-sleep-this-weekend Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I know how you feel about turning on the heat but gee, you don’t want to freeze! We put ours at 60 so it comes on when the temp gets that low. Last night’s dinner was rigatoni with bolognese sauce and steamed broccoli. I don’t like cooking during the week, too rushed. Halloween night we’ll go to #1’s house to see the kids. She has requested that I bring mac & cheese, apparently my SIL feels it isn’t Halloween without it. Also need to find the time to go see #2 play the bride of Frankenstein at the haunted schoolhouse. At least the dress gets worn again. We have no plans for the weekend and you have no idea how happy that makes me. Very cold and windy here today, must run to the town hall to pay my real estate taxes before work as with all the stuff going on around here, I forgot to mail the payment. Stay warm everyone!

Posted by: badsneakers | October 29, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle!
A bit late for the Dawn Patrol. Things seem pretty quiet on the six o'clock position.

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Morning All. Just a week left, but things could get bumpy. Memeorandum.com seems rife with the kind of negative tangential accusations that form the fall-back position of the Republican faithful. Memeorandum is a fascinating site, but it can also be disturbing in that "let's look under a rock" sorta way.

Thankfully, we have fivethirtyeight.com to help remind us of the reality of the situation.

I am a little nervous about Obama's "infomercial" tonight. It is possible to have too much of a good thing. But Obama's strategic approach to this campaign thus far has been pretty brilliant, to I trust they know what they are doing.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 29, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 29, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all. It's chilly and gray here today.

Obama rally report. On his way to the stadium where Obama was speaking, my son ran into the leader of the Young Democrats club at his school who was so happy to see he and his friend that he said he would try to get them into the VIP section. (guy has been a very Dem activist) Son called me to tell me that as he was waiting in a very long line. After awhile he texted me "VIP" and I texted him back,
"you DOG". Anyway, he had a great time and was very impressed with his speech.

Obama is coming to Va. Beach on Thursday to an amphitheater about 15 mins. from my house, so I will hopefully make that. Gotta cozy up to my son's contacts! Obama's really fighting for Virginia and I am so happy about that. I would not have believed it if someone had told me that this was possible 4 years ago.

Have a great day all.

Posted by: Kim1 | October 29, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

SCC's all over my preceding post!

Slyness, I forgot to say that the youtube video you linked to DID make me weepy!

RD - as usual, you summed it up for me. I've been a little nervous about this commercial...however, I saw on Huffpo that Elizabeth Hasselback thinks the ad buy is "repulsive" so that makes me think that it's probably a good thing. I never watch the View, but I've seen her in youtube snippets, etc. and she is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Posted by: Kim1 | October 29, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I'm gonna be at the fire station design and construction conference Sunday through Wednesday lunch. So I'll check in when I can, but I'm going to be distracted from the election. We didn't realize the date when we signed the contract, so I've had to remind everyone to vote early when I confirm registrations.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

good morning boodle! Down to 21F here last night, but 3-4 days of warm weather are on the way. We really need nights in the teens so the lakes will freeze in time for spearing season (you lay on the ice in a darkened "house" and spear fish- acquired taste as hobbies go). Kids in the after school program keep finding dead, or near dead birds, on the playground. They are drawn to the seeds left on the plants in our garden, and they draw the eagles who do what eagles do. We've seen deer most evenings as the kids pile into the vans to leave. The older ones moan that because we are within the city limits they can't hunt them, and chasing them out is strictly verboten, by culture more than law.

Around here fall is the time of the great migration. Families who moved into abandoned trailers and old cabins will be heading to towns with more housing options, or packing up a few garbage bags of stuff and moving in with extended family. No amount of wood in the barrel stove can stay ahead of the cold in these old buildings with pipes buried too close to the earth's surface and no insulation.

To answer a question from an old boodle-What is rich? Having enough room in a well heated house to take in family, but not having to do it because they're all ok.

I really shouldn't watch those Obama videos before coffee, or posting. How much hope is it safe to have that things will be better here?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck, 'til some idiot killed it.

And this is really making me hungry: http://www.spainontheroadagain.com/recipes.shtml

Posted by: omnigood | October 29, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea why I ended up with multiple posts. The software must hate me. That happens a lot.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 29, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

From across the pond, the first installment of a list that rates our 43 Presidents in the context of how well they did their job, FWIW. The list starts with the worst and will conclude with the BPOAT.

#'s 43-34:

Posted by: -jack- | October 29, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, was lucky enough in my area to miss any rain, snow or wind but it is chilly this morning.

Badsneakers - you keep your house at 60? On the inside? I am feeling like a wimp with the temperatures we have in our house.

I do not have much to say about the election - too much sniping now for me to enjoy listening - Tuesday night though will be exciting - although it is not our election has a big impact in our country (as it does many countries outside the US).

Fun tidbit for the day - Toronto Zoo is exploring generating power from their poo, my lasting memory of taking my oldest daughter to the zoo when she was small was her amazement at the size of the elephant poo - apparently more impressive than the animal itself.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 29, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Kim-I was wondering if you'd be able to make it the VA Beach rally tomorrow. Hope you get a good spot!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I, too have been a little concerned about Obama's prime time infomercial this evening.

Is this just a case where the Dem Presidential nominee has a lot of extra money to spend, and is just looking for ways to do so (I wonder what Hillary Clinton thinks of this)? Is there more to lose than to gain with this broadcast? If so, this might be a case of Taking Something Too Far, and making himself and his campaign a target unnecessarily.

Let's hope all Obama has in common with Ross Perot are prominent auricular organs. If I see an easel with posterboard charts and graphs, I'm going to consider that a bad sign.

s_d, you should know that I keep Jack S. on my keychain year round and my youngest is going as Penny for Halloween this year (as both of the older sisters did in years past). My family loves that movie almost as much as "A Christmas Story" and, [*sigh*] "Elf."

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, I'm neutral but interested in the Obamafest this evening. Thirty minutes to flesh out the key policy points warped out of recognition by 30-second attack ads? Not the worst idea in the world, but of course carrying out the idea is key. Anyone know if it's going to be live? I'd think not.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

NEW KIT!

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

All the folks with site problems and Firefox should maybe check to see if they are accepting the WaPo cookies. But I don't use Firefox.

I recently downloaded a little program "alarm clock" that I can set to ring at a certain time. It's turning out to be real handy, when I get caught up in the internet and need to do things. There's a site of the guy who wrote it, but I always recommend taking it off the download.com site instead.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 29, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse