Those Georgetown Conservatives

Random notes with a big vote approaching:

Who was John McCain thinking of when, defending Sarah Palin, he took that shot at Georgetown cocktail party people who pretend to be conservatives? ("If there's a Georgetown cocktail party person, who quote, calls himself a 'conservative,' and doesn't like her, good luck" -- complete with dismissive wave.)

George Will raises his hand today, in full umbrage. My first thought was that he was reacting to some of the recent writing of David Brooks. But it could have been Kathleen Parker, David Frum or any number of conservative DC chattering-class types who are dismayed by the Palin pick (Frank Fukuyama also joins the chorus today). And there's Colin Powell, who has been known to show up at Ben & Sally's, though Powell hadn't yet endorsed Obama when McCain made his comment.

Or maybe McCain is describing himself!!! He's done the circuit. See the Sally Quinn quote in the Trail item by Libby Copeland: "I've sat next to him many times at dinner parties in Georgetown.... He's an absolutely delightful dinner partner."

In any event, McCain's "Closing Argument" continues to be built around the notion that Obama is scary because he has scary friends. Not only did he hang out with Bill Ayers, but he's been palling around with yet another unrepentant professor-type.

I guess we should ask: How many professors does Obama know? I've heard a rumor that Obama himself was once a professor -- that he was blatantly professorial -- and that lots of people knew it, including his students. Someone should check that out.

The Obama infomercial was rather slick, rather "produced." In fact the infomercial may have cost the equivalent of the GDP of Albania. For some reason, I had assumed he'd just talk to a camera, live, no props, in keeping with what my colleague Lyndsey in the next cubicle calls The New Austerity.

One detail jumped out of the mini-film: Obama read all of the Harry Potter books to his eldest daughter. You know the McCain camp had to cringe when they heard that.

Obama's going to sweep the Tweener vote.

McCain's new pitch: "I have read to my kids the collected works of Clausewitz and Sun Tzu."

Von Drehle imagines a President Obama and a President McCain (pick one).

Here's the leafcam slide show: Note that it explains, eventually, that the leafcam got blown off its axis by high winds, which is why yesterday it was aimed at the cloud.

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 30, 2008; 11:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Basin and Range and Subdivisions
Next: A Political Browser

Comments

could it be? could i possibly be first??

Posted by: mortii | October 30, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

joel - i TRIED to tell them bout the new kit but the boodle is busted - can you go over and give it a good kick?

Posted by: mortii | October 30, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The Obamacons understand that if intellectually-honest conservatism is to survive then a repudiation of McCain/Palin is a necessity. Andrew Sullivan over at "The Daily Dish" says this all much better than could I, and with a nifty British accent.

I enjoyed the Obamamercial, although I also thought it was a bit overproduced. I would have probably enjoyed something with a little more intellectual depth. But then, I am not the intended audience and the Obama people know that. The intended audience is undecideds who still find Obama a little scary.

That leaf-cam is way cool. I have never outgrown my fascination with time-lapse photography. Of course, those pics also fill me with dread, because I know that in just a few short weeks every one of those dead leaves will end up in my front yard.

Every single one.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 30, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mortii | October 30, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Sure, mo, the Boodle just HAPPENED to break when you came over here...

Riiiiiiiiiight... ;-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

rd - i grew up in nova so i never outgrew my love of the leaves changing color - i don't care what anyone else says - it's the best in VA (foliage that is...)

let me know when you've got all the leaves raked up in a big pile so i can go and jump in it!

Posted by: mortii | October 30, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Good news on the Hubble front!

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I think all Microsoft products got broken (even worse than normal) the other day. No doubt the election thieves will have to crash the entire internet to get away with it this time. No, seriously, lately I have to shut down my browser every so often or it starts to just hang and hang. Installed the new update recently of course.

The Von Drehle is shocking! Telling the truth like that... I declare!

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh mo, the Padouk Estate is famous for attracting dead leaves. We get leaves blown in from the Iberian Peninsula. If you were to jump into the pile made by all these leaves, it might take weeks to find you again.

That's a brilliant article by Von Drehle. The essential point is that we are not electing a dictator. Just as I have always rejected the idea that all the evils of the past 8 years are entirely Bush's fault, I also understand that the next President won't be able to make everything peachy all by himself. But this is another reason why I like Obama. He really is inspiring. He makes those of us who work for the government want to do a better job.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 30, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

they are ready mo,come jump in my leaves.

Everyday I sweep my porch and then the next day,it is covered again.And that is just the 2 decks,the rest of the yard is leaves leaves everywhere!!

And since Virginia is part of West Virginia i have to agree with you mo.

Off to work ,my neighbor just called and left her suitcase at home,I guess going to work is a good thing since i can drop her suitcase off to her.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 30, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The Von Drehle is shocking! Telling the truth like that... I declare!

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

they are ready mo,come jump in my leaves.

And since Virginia is part of West Virginia i have to agree with you mo.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Howdy howdy. I see everything twice!

I enjoyed this Kit and the Las Vegas pictures and story too. Thanks to Joel for linking to the Von Drehle piece, which is full of wisdom and insight. Enforced absence from most major news sources for three days took the edge very slightly off my obsession with the election but I still look forward to it being over. At least this time I believe we won't have an election followed by a month of uncertainty. I hope.

That leaf-cam is great. RD, we are just starting to lose leaves here but I'll gladly send them your way.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 30, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

testing

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

testing

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Howdy howdy. I see everything twice!

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 30, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the double posts are a way to get page views up.

Leaves from our Norway maple wind up everywhere, probably even at RD's place. I clean them up from across the street, because that neighbor is too old to do it herself.

I think PA has the prettiest fall foliage, but I've never been to New England in autumn. MO was ok, but mostly drab browns and yellows.

Posted by: seasea | October 30, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

i find this disturbing to say the least

Posted by: mortii | October 30, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

In Ottawa, most of the leaves are stuck under a layer of frozen snow but there is still some more falling on top, mostly oak and willows. It looks weird. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The laurel oaks are dropping leaves by the dribble. Finally, probably in January, they'll rather abruptly jettison the remainder and pop out flowers, covering everything with pollen.

Hurricane Frances of 2004 ripped all the leaves off the oaks, depositing a neighborhood's worth in my yard (presumably the trees slowed the wind enough to get the leaves to drop out). The heaviest concentration was on the driveway, of course.

Three weeks later, Jeanne was relatively clean. The oaks had put out new leaves, but they hadn't finished and the new ones weren't really mature yet.

The oaks persisted, putting out another new set at the beginning of October.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Brag's Comedy Hour

This week's episode: Philosopher-Hero
Feauturing Johan Sebastian Balz, Hero of the Kriegsmarine.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Brag's Comedy Hour

This week's episode: Philosopher-Hero
Feauturing Johan Sebastian Balz, Hero of the Kriegsmarine.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Brag's Comedy Hour

This week's episode: Philosopher-Hero
Feauturing Johan Sebastian Balz, Hero of the Kriegsmarine.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Brag's Comedy Hour

This week's episode: Philosopher-Hero
Feauturing Johan Sebastian Balz, Hero of the Kriegsmarine.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Still a lot of beautiful leaves here, as I drove to work this morning (a tree lined road parallet to the shoreline) I kept glacing at the early morning light on the trees, some shadowed and some appearing to be lit as if to show off their spectacular colour. Lots of red, orange, yellow, fushia and green against a clear blue sky.

Mo big leaf pile at my house already broken in for jumping.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 30, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Got that as part of a press release from your DOT Mudge.
"Multimodal Hazmat Intelligence Portal (HIP)
Creates a Federal Hazmat Intelligence Center
***Provides holistic view of hazmat transportation data across Federal agencies
***Institutionalizes data quality and standardization processes
***Provides executive dashboards to monitor effectiveness of resource allocation, budgeting, and regulations."

It's not only the data quality that needs to be institutinalized. And I want a dashboard. Maybe not an executive dashboard but a smaller Joe-the-Plumber type dashboard nonetheless.
Your bureaucracy is as bad as ours.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Holistic hazmat...

What WILL they think of next?

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps, shriek...but we have better editing.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

That's true, shriek...but we have better editing.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Leaves fall, kittehs! invade the boodle, people have new handles, all is in flux.

The road looks like new.
Big asphalt machines were here.
Now they're done, gone home.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Joel: You are "professorial" yourself. Plus being a Tiger. Your alma mater's colors are definitely on display around Halloween. Didn't you do a stint teaching a writing class at Georgetown University a few years back? I recall you posting some of the material from your students in your kits.

I'm just holding my breath here in New Haven, CT wishing we didn't have to go through the next few days until it's time to vote. I'll be waiting at 6:00 a.m. for the doors of the fire station where I vote on the 4th to open.

I have friends that are taking off the balance of this work week and traveling to Virginia to help turn out the Obama voters. They feel so passionate, as do so many of us, that we can't leave anything to chance. Recently the few folks I know that are voting the other way, I've been trying to steer the conversation away from anything political recently I keep hearing the most outlandish statements and even though I have a very long fuse, it's difficult to keep my distaste out of the expression in my eyes. At least, though, my favorite drinking establishment is filled with liberals--artists, musicians, writers, etc. and they are going to have several bands on election night after the polls close and will keep us posted on the results and they are only featuring one Presidential drink special that night the Obamatini! I'll probably just stick to my white zin with a glass of ice on the side.

Aroc

I'm sure there will be a collective exhalation and lots of jubilation once we know the final results and this time, I'm not going to sleep until it is decided. I've been disappointed/fooled twice--in 2000 and in 2004.

Posted by: CoraCollins | October 30, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I have a rehearsal scheduled for Tuesday night. This is just wrong. I may give the Boy the iPhone and station him in the anteroom with instructions to come in and whisper updates. I may even let him use the laptop - easier to open multiple windows.

Aroc, in 2004 people who waited all night for a decision were up for a month.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 30, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

IIRC, Ivansmom, that was 2000. Mr. T actually stayed up all night, glued to the TV. I couldn't stand it, I went to bed early.

Posted by: slyness | October 30, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

We'll know by 9 p.m. Take it to the bank.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Yep, 2000 it was. Both nights were somewhat nightmarish but at least in 2004 we had a good idea of what happened on the same day.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 30, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

They won't officially call it until the West Coast polls close -- but if Obama takes Penna and Ohio AND they both announce early (as I expect them too), it's all over. If he takes Virginia and Florida, too, you can go to bed with a smile on your face.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Howdy all (achoooooo) -- I seem to have come down with Mudgeitis (not the gruesome kind, tho . . .yet). Feeling kinda achy and stuffy nosey and a little off my food. And, I've been writing a pleading all day (I hate page restrictions -- we only have 10 this go-round). Gonna sustain myself on tea tonight and see how far that gets me.

I thought the Obamamercial last night was very well done, and as elegant as it was eloquent. We middle class people (not all lawyers are rich, although just a tad few of us are nice, eh Ivansmom?) deserve to be part of that.

Seeing as my stamina is flagging, gonna go lay down for a spell.

Cooties to you all (in a nice way, of course).

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as my stamina is flagging, gonna go lay down for a spell.

Cooties to you all (in a nice way, of course).

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 30, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as my stamina is flagging, gonna go lay down for a spell.

Cooties to you all (in a nice way, of course).

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 30, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as my stamina is flagging, gonna go lay down for a spell.

Cooties to you all (in a nice way, of course).

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 30, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

SD, I am familiar with HIPs but no one ever told me I would have to have a dashboard for them, executive or otherwise, gol dangit.

Posted by: --dr-- | October 30, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Mudge -- read the Montana piece. I am betting that parts of MT go blue. Not ready to say the whole wide prairie will, but would not be stunned.

Had busy day the highlight being that I biked to a mini-mid dayBPH with TGB and RickoShea. Lovely, lovely, lovely; laughed lots and rather loudly.

Scored a few twinkle-thingies for the upcoming holidays. LOVE what is coming because tis the food and decorations and winter reads, not a cache of presents. More stuff = more stress.

I would also say that I liked the evening thread about funeral music. I echo Rickoshea's Pavane for a Dead Princess by Ravel.

For me, I would like the playing of any slow air by cousin Natalie MacMaster or on disc by the late, great Eugene O'Donnell, fiddler and pipe-fitter from Philly.

Tis is good enough:

And, someone -- not me -- would sing Danny Boy. Tis required.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 30, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

funeral music - well duh! mozart's requiem for the dead

one of my all time fav pieces of music!

Posted by: mortii | October 30, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. I smell a farting sack of potatoes in here. Somehow that always makes me think of camels humping on the lumpy sea.

Speaking of heating water that's flat as pancakes, why don't Canadians invent Canadian tea by using maple syrup? Or do they?

Hm, time for some orthopedic philosophy on my ear.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hm, time for some orthopedic philosophy on my ear. As the saying goes, if you pal around with professors, you'll get up with ideas.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Morti, I love Mozart's Requium, but last night when we were discussing the music to be played at our funerals, I chose Verdi's Requium because it's so 'operatic.' So over the top.

The other piece I mentioned is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber (I think). Perhaps they played it in "Four Weddings and a Funeral."

BTW, "Morti" reminds me of "Uncle Morty," someone's very ethnic uncle. Or is that "Uncle Milty?"

(I wonder how many times the littles elves inside WaPo.com will post this.)

Posted by: rickoshea0 | October 30, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

(*^*&%^&*% rubber duck (*^*&%*&%^&$

Wilbrod closed the browser, refreshed, everything. There must be a 10-second delay to post at this moment.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The delay between hitting submit and seeing one's post can be several minutes.

No way to run a railroad.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 30, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the comments glitches. They're trying to fix it. Huge technical problems at dot.com the last couple of days. But our best people are on this.

Posted by: JoelAchenbach | October 30, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I also think Pavanne for a Dead Princess is hauntingly gorgeous.

(I wonder how many times this will be posted)

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 30, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

We don't hold you personally responsible Joel. We know that in matters such as this you are but a pawn in the game of life.

As are we all.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 30, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I also think Pavanne for a Dead Princess is hauntingly gorgeous.

(I wonder how many times this will be posted)

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 30, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrodog,Harr, harr, harrff, without your permission I'm gonna post your comment on the subsim webbie to add class to the thing.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The Boodlecommentmachine is kaputies. Will try again.

Wilbrodog-- Harrr, harrr, harrrfff.
Without your permission I'm gonna post your comments on the subsim webbie, to give it more class. :o)

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

A new record!

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, sigh. One of my all time favourites. As used in Platoon, it was unforgettable.

Posted by: --dr-- | October 30, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's a real repeating sack of potatoes you got there, Brag.

Con mi permiso, Señor Braguino.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Soreee!
I was trying to get through the wreckage of the Boodlecomments blogging, commenting machine. Marched past the maze of pipes, broken condensers, leaking commentators, surplus diodes, shrinking amplifiers, blown hypervanillaputators and stuff only Science Tim can explain.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I saw Melvin Koznowsky cross the street.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

You forgot the flux capacitor, Brag...

It's ALWAYS the flux capacitor.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

S'nuke, can you explain to me what the flux capacitor does? I've always wondered.

Posted by: slyness | October 30, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Unless, ScottyNuke, it's really the Oscillation Overthruster.

It takes a highly-trained professional to tell the difference.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 30, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

A capacitor kind of sets up a volt threshold for a charge... two surfaces set apart from each other, it serves as sort of a battery/switch. Solar panels have solor-sensitive capicators that slowly build up an electric charge during the day, for instance.

So, obviously, a flux capicator is sensitive to fluxes. The more flux, the more capicator there is.

But S'nuke should know that it's actually the FLUKE capicator for submarines.

I'd say that Balz serves as a fluke capacitor, with Bernard feeding him flukes until Balz has sufficient charge to fuel the steam coming out of his ears.

Am I right? I'm not exactly good at meta-oceano-electro-nucleo-physical stuff.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't two flux capacitors working together create another Steven Seagal? Or is it another Chuck Norris? Maybe a Total Gym? Or maybe you use the Total Gym with the flux capacitors to ramp up the output to 110% and eliminate the possibility of failure, but then you gotta figure out something for Christie Brinkley to do.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 30, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Well, here we are again at Halloween Eve. (Or All Hallows Eve Eve for you traditionalists.) I've always loved Halloween because, as a child, it was always very low stress. And then there was the Candy.

Oh yes. Much Candy.

Unfortunately, neither of my children was ever that into Trick or Treating. They kept giving up and wanting to go home because they were "tired" or "needed to go to the bathroom." They just never had the proper respect for processed sugar.

Of course, now they both consider themselves too old for Trick or Treating. And if I go alone I get the dirtiest looks from the neighbors

At least, as always, we will have a big Real Scary Jack O' Lantern on the front steps. (Thoroughly doused, as is traditional, with bug spray to keep the ants down.)

But I do miss having someone around to help me carve it.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 30, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

umm, Brag, didn't you forget the magneto and the aleotimeter?

Posted by: rickoshea0 | October 30, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Fine. If nobody else in this house can appreciate roasted pumpkin seeds that just means more for me.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 30, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

About my funeral, pass the hat to bring Ivansmom to sing. I will love whatever she selects. However, Ivansmom, you can try these words to a familiar tune:

Warning: very sentimental John McCormack clip. Mack was the Irish Caruso.

Tomorrow is Halloween, as RD reminds. If ten students show up costumed, I shall teach my lesson on the that-which distinction by singing from the Wizard of Oz:
The wind began to switch,
the house to pitch......

unhitch
hitch
ditch
(And then what happened was rich -- in voco teeny-tiny-o)
.......which was not a healthy
sitch(uation) for the Wicked
Witch

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 30, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Incapasitor resistance is the problem. This can be conpensated by oleonuclear insultation created by a photovoltaic union of transgressors. This is all a bit over my capacitance. I limit myself to crawling through the wreck wich should be howled (notice the staying to old kit) over to Area 51.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to my world RD Padouk. At least I got to carve two slightly frozen pumpkins. A fish filetting knife and sturdy gloves were all that was needed. No candy for me though.

Here are some fall pictures. It's mix of foliage, dogs and snow. Plus some fall decorations.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Great pictures Shriek! I love fall colors and the crispness of the season. My favorite time of year is November. Where I live, we don't have seasonal changes except for a small dip in temps for winter and more rain than usual. Trees don't change color and our Thanksgiving is spent in shorts. I shouldn't complain, after all I live in paradise, but still, I'd love to be able to make artwork with fall colored leaves.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | October 30, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Love the pics, SD. Isn't the first snow of the season amazing? And to think that there were, what, 14 days between the first photos and the snowy ones?

MiddleofthePacific, you'll always be welcome at my house, if you want to come and rake leaves!

Posted by: slyness | October 30, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Hi everybody.

So, I see that WaPo.com is having a hard time getting their new Large Comment Handler (LCH) smarticle collider online properly.

I remember when Joel suggested that anonymous comments would no longer be allowed and that everyone was going to have to register on .com. Some suggested that the world might end when they started the LCH up, but you know what?

It's just a smarticle collider -- I can fix it. Give me some duct tape, a reversable polarity magnetic wrench, a SpongeBob band-aid, a stick of Juicy Fruit gum, some stainless steel safety wire and side cutters, a bat's heart with red silk thread and a sewing needle, an assortment of wood screws, a propane torch, a flask full of Fonseca or Dow's port wine and a thermos of coffee, a plastic egg of Silly Putty, a Washington Senators baseball hat, a vial of Holy Water and a rosary, a set of children's magnetic letters (suitable for a fridge), a quart of extra-virgin olive oil, a thick rubber band, a Ronco Pocket Flux Capacitor (only one, wouldn't want to have a Segal Incident), a Harry Blackstone Jr. Magic Kit, a paper clip, a burlap rucksack, a battery-powered double-reciprocating Sawzall, and Mudge as a Sherpa to carry all of it for me, and I'll head up the Jeffries tube to the LCH warp core and fix the bloody thing all by myself.

...myself
...self
...self
...self
...elf
...lf
...f - f- ffff.

Posted by: -bc- | October 30, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Lots of early niege, Shriek--great pitchahs

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

We are saved! I know that Sherpamudge can carry the load and overcome all obstacles. Thank you BC

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

-SD, merci beacoup pour les photos des légendes bilingeaux.

-Shrieking Denizen, thanks for the bilingually captioned photos.

(I had to guess at the feminine plural of "bilingue"...)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, brag, not early. Just normal.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the comments on the pics youze all. I'm just back from walking the dogs and I can report the weather as crispy. Beautiful dark skies with nary a moon in sight.
Comments glitch : I try to avoid double glitches this way. As soon as I hit submit I close the tab the achenblog is on as fast as if my she-great boss was entering my cubicle while I was surfing shoe fetishist websites. Not that I recommend doing that at work. Or even trying to.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the eye of newt, the fulminate of mercury, and the saltpetre.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks wilbrod.
The fem of bilingue is... bilingue. One of those "invariable" (non-variable) adjectives.
Yoki, it's normal for you in the Money Belt (or for my hometown of Q city) but a bit early here.

The plan for me last Saturday was to go fishing. The ON-QC commission finally released some water in the Ottawa river. I got distracted by shopping but snow wasn't in my mind...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Great pictures Shriek, love that blue sky of autumn.

Can't think of the music I want for my funeral, Bach, Mozart and Vivaldi would be nice and a Handal fanfare - lots of trumpets going out in a blaze of trumpets - but I prefer something a little happier - need to come up with the happy music - a challenge for me since I can't remember the titles of most of the songs I like.

I went through quite a bit of that Aaron Copland site last night - the Shaker Hymn is a possibility.

Brubecks Take Five should be included.

Read Tom Shales article on the Obamamercial this morning and smiled when he commented that the music had an Aaron Copland feel - perhaps he was reading the blog last night.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 30, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

But is the plural also invariable? Bilingues?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 30, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

You are right Wilbrod it is gender-neutral but not invariable. Sorry.
It's obviously time for me to hit the sack.

Very good and very lousy day at work today, simultaneously. One employee got praised to heaven but I had to fight off a frenzied spawn of Satan from another part of the shop. So I'm confused.

We got a new minister as well. An angry partisan hack by reputation. He was part of a very anti-franco provincial gunmint and known to hold a grudge. We shall see.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Funeral music???
I'm not planning on dying.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Lets see an angry political hack, known to hold a grudge in the Harper cabinet - Shriek can you narow it down more please.

I thought Flaherty was staying in Finance. :-)

Posted by: dmd2 | October 30, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

ah! let's call him the mp for one of the most non-race sensitive riding in Canada (Carleton county-West Ottawa-Nepean).
Or the finger pointing moron.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

About to be very busy prepping for tomorrow's class BUT:

SD, lovely and thank you for taking me north. You, like National Geographic but homier.

DMD -- two trumpetty things for you: Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary played quickly as by this young man here:

And, Bach's jig fugue is splendid, played with trumpet-stops.

Long ago and far away, a couple marched up the aisle and down, smiling, to these stirring pieces.

To all, would you like to make word cloud art with texts you particularly like? Yes. Ok, then.

Get thee to
www.wordle.net

Enjoy this fabulous application. You can embedd the code or "print" but then save as a pdf. Very fancy graphical peeps can select SVG files.

I have made a custom welcome print -- framed it also -- to a new baby with this application. The parents are astounded at this custom and word-worthy present.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 30, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I was going to check in 30 minutes ago, but then backboodling to a comment by RD reminded me that I had 4 pumpkins worth of innards in the back of Mr. F's vehicle and he would not appreciate the slime still being there tomorrow night when he arrives. Seeds washed and ready to go into a slow oven. Thanks RD!!

dmd-our tastes collide again. I love Take Five. Heard it by chance on the radio last Saturday night and marveled at how it still sounds as if it could have been recorded yesterday. Makes me smile.

University of MN has Obama up by 19. Guess we won't get a visit. Hope Kim got in down in VA Beach tonight.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 30, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 30, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

CP, when I was a bride, I processed to Trumpet Voluntary and recessed to the Prince of Denmark's March. Not that I was focussed on the music, but I do love those tunes.

We attended the wedding of a cousin a couple of years ago, in which rock music was used for processing and recessing. It didn't do a thing for me. But then, there is much to be said for Baroque music.

Posted by: slyness | October 30, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Time for my sleepy hoochie woochies, Good night, Boddle.

If in the morningd I wake you up flying overhead, blame Mudge. He makes me do it.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Love that Clarke on CP,

this would be my Vivaldi selection, Concerto for Two Trumpets (D Minor?) here played by Wynton Marsalis.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 30, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Hi everybody.
Bye everybody who's already gone.
I won't turn out the lights again (sorry), I didn't realize that everything was on the same circuit...
I'm afraid: I just read the first paragraphs to this article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/30/AR2008103004172.html?hpid=topnews
and I'm concerned that the guy in charge of national intelligence isn't (uh, how do you say?) intelligent.
Help me! (no, really).
I mean: is this a joke?
Or what?

Posted by: dschalton | October 30, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Then there is always Handel's Water Music - similar to what we left the church in when we got married (I have severe delusions of grandeur with my trumpet fetish).

Posted by: dmd2 | October 30, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

RD_Padouk: you don't have to carve your pumpkin alone - have a pumkin carvin' party every year.
We do and it's a blast.
Everybody brings their own pumpkin and we make cider drinks and chili or whatever and have at the gourds!
We've even awarded ribbons in the past for the best and worst pumpkins (by popular vote).
It really is a fun way to start the holiday season.
I hope you'll consider it.
Dave

Posted by: dschalton | October 30, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Hi DaveS, glad you are here. Good punkin ideas. Now, I am REALLYYYYY back to prepping.

Oh yes, some Boy Scouts I know will use a trebuchet to launch -- for a small fundraising fee -- the sad punkins of Friday. And, they will pick up the chards and shunks to compost them.

Boodlenight, moon is high, bed is nigh and the puppies sigh....take care, Jack, on your wee puppy duties.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 30, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 30, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 30, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, ds and dmd. Rough week with little sleep here. I find that this song always picks me up. Here it is, as performed by Bob Wills:

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay.
On the "gloom and doom" thinge about dying and what music should be playin'.
Definitely The Low Spark of High-heeled Boys, Dark Side of the Moon and Eno's Ambiant Music for Airports.
Just sayin'...

Posted by: dschalton | October 30, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay.
On the "gloom and doom" thinge about dying and what music should be playin'.
Just sayin'...

Posted by: dschalton | October 30, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

With all the funereal stuff, I thought I'd look for some of Glazunov's more cheerful music. Found this:

A good example how Russia expands its influence.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

bc, the last time you assembled all those weird parts and used me as a sherpa, I found my sorry butt in a serape down in Baja watching you hook up a methane collector to some cow's butt so we could finish the Buffitado 1500.

(BTW, "Large Comment Handler (LCH) Smarticle Collider" made me laugh.)

'Night, Boodle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Hell! I'll even play at your funeral, assuming you die before me (otherwise all bets are off).
Why pay royalties to dead folks?

Posted by: dschalton | October 30, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Hired!

Night everyone

Posted by: dmd2 | October 30, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Tired!

Night everyone.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | October 30, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I'm nothing if not clever and resourceful.

[Note I did not say, "smart," "practical," or "intelligent." Or "sane."]

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 30, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Trip or freak!

Morning Dew>Around and Around>OMSN, Satisfaction

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

dmd, not to get too excited or anything, but...

Wooo Hooo! Yee Haw! You go, my friend.

You are amazing and invincible!

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh no, you forgot the swiss army wife, Bcgyver!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 31, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

dmd, not to get too excited or anything, but...

Wooo Hooo! Yee Haw! You go, my friend.

You are amazing and invincible!

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I noticed but forgot to mention until now that Liz Kelly of Celebritology and Kim O'Donnell are having a "meet and greet" soon. Are they copying us, or did we copy someone else?

Should we charge them with a copyright violation?

To bed, to bed. There's knocking at the gate!

Posted by: rickoshea0 | October 31, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Wired!

I've been working all evening on my penultimate political post for the presidential process. But it won't go live until tomorrow night. Guaranteed to p1ss off everybody if they don't take it the right way. Mudge, stock up on blood pressure pills.

Good night.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Howdy all, seems to have a busy night on the boodle.

I stopped on my way home to check out the stars tonight,brilliant and beautiful are 2 words that came to mind. I did see what I thought was a glimpse of a shooting star(could have been something in my glasses reflecting).Anyways I made a wish and it has partial come true already.

Hope everyone is home and warm,I finally am.

See you in the morning.

Goodnight boodle Pleasant dreams!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 31, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

bright and beautiful
clear cut glass sky shot with stars
beyond bountiful

Posted by: Achaiku | October 31, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

For us, music is played at funerals. The band is like a high school band. The musicians don’t stick to 1 type of music. Instead, they vary from sad ones to the latest hits. These bands won’t know how to play the kind of music I like, so I’ll have to compile them in CDs and have someone play them at funeral. The pieces I select might not be funeral music, but they are going to pieces that I really like. Aside from the ones you guys mentioned, I would definitely include Meditation by Massenet, Bach’s Sheep May Safely Graze, Horst’s Jupiter and Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance March.

Posted by: rainforest1 | October 31, 2008 2:55 AM | Report abuse

An interesting article in the NYT about ugliness. We all know physical beauty is superficial. Unfortunately, it doesn’t help people who are considered ugly. It’s the same in all cultures and races.

Posted by: rainforest1 | October 31, 2008 3:15 AM | Report abuse

Look, I know it's not enough to turn the economy around, but I over-ate (& paid my bill), over-drank (& paid my bill), AND paid a late fee on my cell phone bill tonight.

Every little bit helps, right?

Posted by: bobsewell | October 31, 2008 3:33 AM | Report abuse

I promised myself that I wouldn't do this, but here I am:

A very good story by Neil Irwin & Lori Montgomery ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/30/AR2008103001434.html?hpid=topnews )
was given the following unfortunate sub-hed:
"Drop in Spending Is Drag on Growth"

Well, it would be, wouldn't it? I'm not sure that I remember the exact boundaries which define tautology, but I think we're flirting with them here.

Posted by: bobsewell | October 31, 2008 3:51 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Looks like I'm the first one up. (Bob's been up all night doin' the Night Watchman thing).

I was disappointed with Robinson's column this morning: he thinks Palin's political skills have improved and -- while she's still a moron -- we'll have her to kick around for a long time. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I wonder where and how she's going to find her core support. I don't see it being anyone in the intellectual side of the GOP (the "true" Conservatives). It won't be the NeoCons, who deservedly are in disgrace. At the moment, Huckabee has a legitimate claim to the hearts of the religious Right, and if he's smart he'll try to minimize her invasion of his turf. I can't believe old-line GOP party stalwarts will support someone who is a self-admitted "maverick" -- look how well the Maverick-in-Chief has been doing. Romney owns the other half of the GOP, and he's got no room for her, nor would he want her as Veep in 2012--she'll be nothing but a thorn in his side for four years. Ditto any other Republican with eyes on 2012. I think she's poison, an automatic deal-breaker. Sure, there is a subset who go bananas for her, but I think they are pretty small, and by rights ought to be both demoralized and marginalized. It's really the media that will determine her future: one option for them is to simply leave her alone. What scares me is the media's penchant for prolonging drama as far as it can be stretched. Four years of Palin popping up all over the TV channels will be agonizing. The only good aspect is it gives her many opportunities to say something stupid, which I think she will.

My hope is that the new Obama administration steals most of her thunder and limelight, and people will get tired of hearing her sqwaking on the sidelines. Mindless provincialism only goes so far.

OK, Dawn Patrol, check your magnetos, clear the prop and pull the chocks.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 31, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Checking the candy supply for tonight. When am I going to learn to buy stuff I don't want for myself.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2008 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Flying with the Dawn Patrol today! I'm ready.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Perfect starry sky this morning. We were told, nay, promised the snow would melt . It's supposed to go to 12-15C today, it may do the job.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 31, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, Hey Yoki!

Shriek already feeling much warmer outside here this morning - going to be a great Halloween.

Still laughing over Yello's post about the halloween candy - had to check the candy last night.

Pumpkins carved, younger child designed a face that is best described as Dali like - but it was easy to carve so I am not complaining. Old daughter designed a bunny face and carved most of it - with our battery powered pumpkin saw - turned out well.

Just need to get myself enthused to go to work today - only 6 more days at this job!!!

Posted by: dmd2 | October 31, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

'Mudge said 'mindless provincialism." Perfect.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

*flying low-level CAP over the Brunswick Dawn Patrol base this fine clear morning*

A flux capacitor capacitates the flux, obviously...

bc, I think you need to realign the router to remedy the repeats.

Hopefully I'll be able to watch the experts remedy the chimney today and have full-house heat once more. *SIGH*

*a-very-special-home-based-TGIF-and-waiting-for-the-extra-hour-of-sleep-this-weekend Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Happy Halloween, all!

dmd, good news! Congrats on the new job.

Yoki, you're up early! Welcome to East Coast dawn patrol.

As for me, I'm up but I refuse to shine... taking it easy today.

Posted by: slyness | October 31, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' everybody...

Good points there, Mudge, regarding Palin. I'd add that she's so difficult for the campaign to manage because she's never run for a "subordinate" office. As mayor, she was the boss and the same when she was governor. She's the type who's used to being the head honcho and is apparently having some difficulty adjusting to assistant honcho.

Anyway, I too hope she quickly fades from the public eye. Aside from disagreeing with her politics, her voice grates on my ears like fingernails on a chalkboard (Mrs. M seconds that).

Another busy day lined up here. Busy busy in the shop, then we get to go to the school for Little Bean's Halloween Parade. Then busy busy again until it's time to pass out candy. I need Homer Simpson's "cloning hammock".

Off to the races... Happy Friday, everybody!

Peace out :-)

Posted by: martooni | October 31, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Interesting editorial today:

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

SD, loved the photos. Martooni, I agree about Palin, her fifteen minutes can’t be over fast enough for me. The thing that gets me during every presidential election campaign is how people forget how over the top everything gets. Unfortunately it’s normal for each side to sling mud, say outrageous things and get people frenzied about issues that won’t be spoken of again until the next presidential campaign.

Busy day/week, made two pans of mac and cheese for #1. I will try to leave work early so we can go see #2 at the haunted schoolhouse and then get to #1’s for trick or treat. I am dressing as the Republican party - wearing dark clothes and pictures of toast, “S” is going as the stock market - black and blue clothes and a long downward arrow.

Have a happy Halloween everybody.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 31, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Happy Halloween, you all.

Yup, scotty, saw the editorial this morning, McCain = vile slander. That just about says it all for me.

Regarding, Palin, haven't said much about her; probably will in the months to come, for a very special reason.

Always nice to log on and see the dawn patrol, sneakers uses wise words.

Posted by: VintageLady | October 31, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't hold out. Here is the Yellojkt Voters' Guide. I tried to be non-partisan, but I fear a little subtle bias leaked out.

It's a very linky post, so click on all the asterisks. There's at least one Easter egg (or would that be Halloween treat?) hidden in there.

And for the really truly dedicated guess which link is the one my dad e-mailed me.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Forgot it was Halloween! A very dear friend has suggestions for a costume for me, so I'm going to try to get away from work early and implement that. Have a great day everyone.

Posted by: Yoki | October 31, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle.
Trailing the Dawn Patrol and flying low

I think Palin will fade away.

Posted by: Braguine | October 31, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I carved an Obama jack-o-lantern last night. I got 2 plunger cups from Joe the Plunger to use as ears. I don't think they are big enough, but still, scary indeed!

Posted by: GutlessCoward | October 31, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Joe the Plumber

Posted by: GutlessCoward | October 31, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

VL, I await your Palin comments with a high level of curiosity. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 31, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Happy Halloweeen. Enjoy pumpkin 1

Posted by: --dr-- | October 31, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I rode the elevator with a good looking zombie this morning. The gash in the neck was a nice touch.

dmd, it is warming up! Yeh!

And, for once, the WaPo had a good editorial and it was on kit to boot!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 31, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

GutlessCoward, I'm surprised you didn't just recycle the Ross Perot pumpkin head.

To Robinson's column, yeah, it's not one of his better works. I'm surprised that so many were so quick to dismiss Palin, but she never would have become Governor of Alaska if she had no political skill.

Having said that, I've been considering (OK, I've been writing) Palin's performance over the past two months. Seems to me that she's a quick study and has that chameleon-like quality that can make a successful politician.

She's facing troubles back in Alaska over Troopergate, and frankly, Alaska's far from the national political spotlight. I suspect she's considering giving up the governorship and might consider a high-paying job on the East Coast to keep herself in the media until 2012, or angling for Ted Stevens' seat when it becomes available (Hmm. Can she name herself to that job in the event Stevens wins the election and then has to leave office?).

Happy Halloween!
If the firewalls here allowed it, I'd put in YouTube links to Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party" and "This is Halloween" from the Nightmare Before Christmas.
Call it Danny Elfman's favorite holiday (on a related note, I'm looking forward to the annual Simpsons Treehouse of Horror special, too).

And while you're looking at "This is Halloween," give "Jack's Lament" a listen, too. One of my favorite Elfman numbers.

bc

Ok

Posted by: -bc- | October 31, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The home of the Cucurbit Network, a newsletter devoted to the Cucurbitaceae--the plant family of pumpkins, squash, gourds, watermelons, cucumbers, and more.

And here's someone selling Seminole pumpkin seeds:

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 31, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Be funny if SNL gave S.Palin a job after. She could just be herself pretending to T.Fey. Don't think she'd get the self parody bit

Posted by: omnigood | October 31, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Robinson may have it right in his column.

Posted by: -jack- | October 31, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

This is a little late for Dawn Patrol round-up, but Kathleen Parker is begging nose-holding Obamacons to at least split their ticket and vote for Republicans further down the ballot.

We are well into the damage control aspect of the McCain/Palin train-wreck.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

We are well into the damage control aspect of the McCain/Palin train-wreck.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Hi all... I was here for dawn patrol but it's taken a long time to backboodle. Wow... miss one day online.

Had a busy, busy day yesterday. When did I have time to work?

Coffee with Dr G in the morning (I found myself in his neck o' the woods and called him for an impromptu rendzvous). Then I had a wonderful SBPH (Shopping Boodle Porching Hour) with CP and Maggie O'D. Much hilarity ensued and only a little talk of tragedy this time.

Then off to pick up Son of G and meet former work buddies for pizza, beer and lots of fun talk. We've decided to make that a regular event--nice and cathartic for them to complain about work to someone who knows--but no longer cares--about what's going on there.

I just had an awful realization this morning. Son of G is heading down south after work to visit GF for the weekend and Daughter is going to a concert tonight at GMU.

THERE WILL BE NO PILLOWCASE FILLED WITH CANDY AT THE G HOUSE THIS YEAR.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 31, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

TBG,
You and I are in the same boat. I have to be stingy enough with the GiantMembershipWarehouse bag of candy to make sure there are leftovers.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 31, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: Wheezy1 | October 31, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I see that Nate Silver has increased the electoral votes he expects Obama to win. The more the merrier!

I bought two bags of Hershey's minatures. I hope that will be enough, and that there won't be much left over for me to consume.

Elderdottir will come for supper. Normally, we would go out, but I want to see as many trick or treaters as possible so we'll stay in. I haven't cooked all week, so it's okay.

Posted by: slyness | October 31, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse