You Get What You Pay For

Yesterday, my colleague Frank Ahrens wrote a short article about The Post's credit rating (it remained the same, but there was some kind of change in the outlook, from "stable" to "negative"). Against my better judgment I clicked on the "Comments" link. Who knows, maybe someone would be able to offer some perspective on what this development meant, and how, perhaps, a "negative" outlook in the world of credit ratings is actually a good thing. Maybe when it comes to credit ratings, what you really want is an outlook judged to be "hideous." I don't know much about this stuff. So anyway, I checked out the very first, and only, comment posted to the article. The reader wrote:

"No suprise here--the NYT is now junk rated.

"Your business section sucks, you do not cover nascar, your investigative reporting is a complete joke and you have turned into an apologist for the Warren Buffet landed class and liberals (of course that one is a tradition).

"Your hill and political coverage--your "poer alley" is also lazy, obvious and lack any analytical perspective. Smears predominate.

"All and All there is much better quality of reporting and coverage available for free on the web/ blogs. A junk rating is only a year away--

"Warren, you better sell."

I need to stop reading comments.

I need to go for a walk and look at the delightful autumn leaves (why is this leafcam aiming at the clouds??).

Also, I shouldn't focus on the details of these things, like the allegation that we don't cover NASCAR. Let's not get bogged down in that. [But hang on ... checking ... We had 852 stories in print that mentioned NASCAR in the past two years. Including this one that ran last week on the front page.] [Oh: And I doubt any newspaper has won more Pulitzers for investigative journalism in the past decade. Check out The Post's investigations blog.]

But let's look at the central premise of the comment: That the public doesn't need newspapers because there is "much better quality of reporting and coverage available for free on the web/blogs."

First of all, this commenter was reading The Post online. And an article written by a Post newspaper staffer.

The simple fact is that even the very best of the online news sources depend mightily on old-fashioned newspapers to do a lot of journalistic legwork. Anyone who says otherwise is living in a fantasy world (like these folks).

David Carr has a great piece today in The Times with a simple, clear explanation of the dilemma facing newspapers. Our audience is growing even as our revenue is declining. Print is still the platform that brings in most of the revenue that pays for the news gathering. But as print circulation declines, the Web isn't picking up the slack in the revenue stream. Thus there are thousands of fewer journalists out there beating the bushes, covering the news, staffing foreign bureau, etc. This is not a prediction: The massive contraction has been going on for a couple of years and is intensifying.

Here's Carr:

"New Jersey, a petri dish of corruption, will have to make do with 40 percent fewer reporters at The Star-Ledger, one of the few remaining cops on the beat. The Los Angeles Times, which toils under Hollywood's nose, has one movie reviewer left on staff. And dozens of communities served by Gannett will have fewer reporters and editors overseeing the deeds and misdeeds of local government and businesses."

This is vintage Shafer, on the "Obama Rapture."

See also Hitchens on Sarah Palin and fruit-fly research. More here.

Speaking of journalism: Here is a page with links to stories by the Woodrow Wilson Fellows working at the Post in recent months. From our managing editor: "Flavia Tavares wrote about race and racism through the experiences of black Brazilians in the Washington region; Alfonso Cuellar showed how America's "longest war," agains drug trafficking, is a forgotten conflict in Washington; Maurizio Guerrero investigated gaping holes in Mexico's money laundering enforcement; Jorge Carrasco explored the strange case of Zhenli Ye Gon, the alleged Mexican meth magnate arrested in Rockville; and Luciana Pereira Franco compared biofuels policies in the U.S. and Brazil."

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 29, 2008; 1:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baseball in the Snow
Next: Basin and Range and Subdivisions

Comments

First?

Now off the work....bummer

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 29, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Information wants to be free, but reporters want to be fed. A dilemma that has yet to be resolved adequately.

On the plus side, if employment trends continue, people will have a lot more time available for blogging. As long as nobody cuts off the cable service.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

How to make more money for the online WaPo? Well, Salon has that thing where you can sign up for ad-less content or just look at an ad a day. Either way, I'm okay with it.

It's really cold here in Philadelphia today. It's going to be freezing during the game tonight.

On the PA voting front, yesterday I received a card from the city affirming my registration and telling me where to vote, who to call, etc. Today, I received a call from Obama HQ asking if I supported him and planned to vote. Good to see.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

So many kits, so little time. It took me all morning to backboodle, but then I had an important lunch to attend.

So important as to discuss the idea of a BPH next Wednesday. As my lunch companion boldly stated, "No matter which way the election goes, I'm gonna want to get drunk on Wednesday."

So let's give him a chance!

Wednesday, Nov 5...
McCormick & Schmick's
1652 K St, NW
Washington DC
5:00 pm to...?

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

"...but reporters want to be fed..."

yello, don't make me come over there with a hammer.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm.

Is the registration turned off?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Man, can't come down for a BPH until December, but you all have a good time!

I only submitted that commence once, honest!

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Registration test for -bc-,aka bc

Seems same to me at the posting end.

On Firefox....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 29, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

But Mudge... if the reporters aren't fed, who would the editors have to eat? ;-)

Posted by: martooni | October 29, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

You need a big splashy ad for PayPal here, so everyone who doesn't have an account will be reminded to put that on their to-do list until they actually do it. Then, sell some books on this page, by like oh, I dunno, some good writer. I think WaPo could even take a small cut without too much pain for the author.

Where's that promised blogroll, Achenbach? It's been months.

And Brag, what's up with the obscure Melvin Koznowsky (or is it Koznowski?) references?

Oullette's taking hiatus at Cocktail Party Physics, gonna have guest bloggers. Hmph.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 29, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Didja see that the Christian Science Monitor is going all online and junking the dead tree edition sometime in the spring? I suppose they have deep pockets somewhere.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

reporting. This was to Mudge-'s 1:17 (not the 1:33)

LOL, Mudge-

The least safe text-to-voice post ever maybe

Posted by: omnigood | October 29, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Just read the excellent chat today with John Hodgman. This is a great quote and the reason I love his humor so much...

"However, I make this promise to you: while I may occasionally rely on a fact or two to embellish and liven up a lie, I will never look you in the face and tell you a bald-faced true story when an equivalent fiction is available."

Hey... lately when I hit Submit here, I get a page that says Safari cannot load the page. When I hit the Back button, my post is in the boodle. THEN.. when I click "Sign in..." to post again, my old post is still in the Comments box. Weird.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha, TBG.

What idiot did you have lunch with today?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The idea that we should get rid of all the paid journalists because there are enough bloggers to give us our news is absurdity at its best. Is the gentleman insisting that the coverage from a blogger's viewpoint is equal to or better than that of a print journalist's? Apologies to all of you who have a blog, and I am sure that most of you have a better-than-average ability to string words into coherent sentences, but I don't feel confindent in the news I get from someone whose most impressive qualification is that he has enough time to sit and blog. I'd feel better getting my news from someone who is so involved with the world that he hasn't the time to sit and read blogs, much less write them.

And how to pick which blogs to read? My friend's stay-at-home wife has a blog. Should I get my news from her? I think it's free...

Posted by: Gomer144 | October 29, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If this double posts I am going to go back to PM only postings.

Joel, you should no better than to read the comments section. Comments sections tend to be dominated by those who have opinions strong enough to justify posting a comment. Now, some of those are people who absolutely love what has been written so much that they *must* give encouragement, but far more are those who take exception. A lot.

The firefly bit just screams out scientific ignorance. Just be glad they haven't noticed how crucial e-coli has been to the advancement of biology. I can just hear the indignation over scientists studying bacteria.

Well, here goes.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 29, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Another great link found in the comments at fivethirtyeight.com...

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Good point, martooni. Hey, I'm glad you're here: what open source anti-virus/spyware program would you recommend?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

>>I can just hear the indignation over scientists studying bacteria.<<

But RD, if it's e. coli, wouldn't that indigestion?

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Hurrah! No double post.

Know if I can just blame the typos on the software "No better." Sheesh.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 29, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I think a post-Rapture BPH on Wednesday next is a terrific idea. (Notwithstanding whichever moron may have suggested it. TBG, you really gotta be careful who you hand around with. Just sayin', yanno?)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey spyware-worry worts: I recommend looking for keylogger devices. These "bug" log each stroke you make -- EACH.STOKE.YOU.MAKE -- sending a transcript back to the evil-installer slime ball.

For MAC, I am suggesting CLAMX software. You can pay through paypal if you like how this helps.

I am sure that the other digirati -- digerati?-- can help us with this.

Keystoke loggers -- not your friend.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 29, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

It could be worse, Yoki: it could be pond scum, yanno.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I am sure that the other digirati -- digerati?-- can help us with this.

Keystoke loggers -- not your friend.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 29, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Joel, I think the Post's coverage of NASCAR depends on your definitiion of the word "coverage."

For some, coverage might be defined as posting AP wire reports of race events (with no resources dedicated to that beat), and occasional 10,000 ft. features when little else is going on with the 'stick and ball' games.

For others, "coverage" might be defined as what WaPo does with say, hockey or soccer, much less football or baseball.

Clarke's feature from last week overlooked some significant facts, at least in some peoples' opinions (some of them expressed right here in the Boodle, but I digress).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The 1/3 of a game is at the usual late time tonight?

Another geneticist on Palin and the Fruit Fly.
"Whatever happens on November 4, the fruit fly's contribution to the public good will always far outweigh that of Sarah Palin, and she would do well to show some respect. I kid you not."

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 29, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Mudge... you don't need any anti-virus/spyware stuff on Linux (actually, I'm not aware that anyone even *makes* any). All of the security is built in to the OS -- by default, users and processes can't do anything dangerous unless specifically allowed to by the "root" user. Heck, mine wouldn't even let me write to any removable media until I logged in as root and gave my runtime user account the rights to do so.

Chances are that yours came with SE Linux (Security Enhanced), which provides additional super-fine-grain control of security settings for users, ports, processes, etc.

It's not really complicated unless you're running servers exposed to the internet or have a bunch of users on your local network. Most likely, your installation came out of the box already locked down. You may have to "allow" certain user accounts the rights to do some things, but that's about it.

You may want to get a "Dummies" book specific to your Linux distro... it should have a section on security configuration that might be helpful.

Posted by: martooni | October 29, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

bc, have you been "lunching" with unemployed women of Greek ancestry again?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: martooni | October 29, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Looks like they're gonna try, shriek, but I see green on the 'ol radar around Philly... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Packing up my stuff to go to work, sigh.
TBG-I know you already know how fortunate your unemployment timing is, but not sure you know the frenvy.

I'll check in around 7:30ET.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Is it Nov. 5 yet???

*very sad SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

martooni, when it comes to computers, I may need the "Remedial Dummies for Dummies" book first. I still have (I suspect) some sort of software glitch, because with either Opera or Firefox my system still freezes up and appears to go "autistic" for longish periods from a few seconds to nearly a minute or so, while nothing happens, and the mouse won't move, etc. I can hear the hard drive chattering and accessing something. The Internet part of the screen (but not the background toolbars, etc.) actually goes gray and dims, and then it appears to wake up again. Sometimes my mouse wheel works, sometimes it doesn't, to scroll up and down the screen. Firefox is almost unusuable, it hangs up so much. Opera is cleaner by far -- but doesn't have links.

All very frustrating.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

No "lunching" at all, Mudge. Only lunching.

And planning for World Domination, of course.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Testing. This comments thing would not reload the page for me yesterday and today.

TBG, great idea for BPH on Wednesday.

Junper, good idea--The WaPo could sell my book(s) and make millions.

Who, Melvin Koznowki? Or Melvin Koznowky?

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

TBG, great idea for BPH on Wednesday.

Junper, good idea--The WaPo could sell my book(s) and make millions.

Who, Melvin Koznowki? Or Melvin Koznowky?

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd be jealous of the BPH, except I am coming to Washington in early December, and maybe we could have an international BPH then.

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, if you are implying that I am that idiot, well...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

That would have to be the IPSBPH, right? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

TBG, great idea for BPH on Wednesday.

Junper, good idea--The WaPo could sell my book(s) and make millions.

Who, Melvin Koznowki? Or Melvin Koznowky?

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR two days of wonkey Boodle machine

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR two days of wonkey Boodle machine

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR two days of wonkey Boodle machine

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR two days of wonkey Boodle machine

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR two days of wonkey Boodle machine

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

wow brag talk about a grrrr!

tbg - i'm. so. there!

and did you guys happen to be lunching anywhere near the m&s cuz i know i work around the corner from there now!

omni - that was cute!!!!

i'm leaving early tues to go vote but early for me is 5 - i'm hoping the lines won't be too long! question - if you GET there before 7 can you still vote or do they simple cut off the machines at 7? (fairfax county va)

Posted by: mortii | October 29, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Hello everybody.
I know I'm coming into this late but, better late than never (maybe).
Please bear with me, this is my anti-newspaper printing rant...
But first a couple of weak examples and analogies.
1) Magazine and book publishers (and printers) succeed and prosper because their products don't transfer well to a less costly distribution scheme (yet). So their production and physical plant overhead can be covered by their profit margins.
2) Television and television content producers prosper because they don't have the burden of printing and distributing physical copies (every TV program an illustrated novella - for example) of their products.
The newspaper industry is in an uncomfortable transitional phase between a static, old, technology (printing) and ground-based distribution, and a dynamic technology employing electronic distribution (let's call it WebTV for lack of a better name). The biggest problem is that the old technology (with it's costly stream of disposable consumables) has to be maintained even after the new technology has been adopted. And ad revenue won't cover the costs on of a dual production chain.
If the Post could divest itself of it's printing operation and become totally electronic it's profits could soar. Since there are precious few, if any, competing media outlets in the DC metro area with the reach and editorial clout the Post has, advertisers could be expected to pay as much (or more) for dynamic page space. But to do that, advertisements would have to be cross-indexed to news items and articles and dynamically driven by mined reader preferences. Additionally, ads would have to reside in a searchable data-base so readers could find the ad again if desired.
However, The Washington Post is a newspaper and can't, or won't, or doesn't know how to, put that legacy down.
Until it invents a way to become solely a WebTV station it will continue to bleed itself to death.
For the record, I subscribe to the print edition too.
And that's all I've got to say about that.

Posted by: dschalton | October 29, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

did i broked it?

Posted by: mortii | October 29, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

dschalton... I like your idea of a searchable ad database. I don't know how many times I see an ad right before I click away from a page and then can't seem to find it again.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

It's the commute doldrums mo.

The 1/3 game is at 20:30 for crying out loud. They'll lose 10-15F between now and then. Don't complain about the cold.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 29, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Colder and colder in Philly, there's a sharp, wet wind and some random showers.

Yoki, say when, I'll try to be there too.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Colder and colder in Philly, there's a sharp, wet wind and some random showers.

Yoki, say when, I'll try to be there too.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Colder and colder in Philly, there's a sharp, wet wind and some random showers.

Yoki, say when, I'll try to be there too.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Just this once, anyway!

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

That would be great, dbG!

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

My only experience with the dead tree version of the Washington Post is from our trip to DC a few weeks ago. I thought it superior in every way to our Boston Globe. There were a lot more stories, more pages, more columnists, more comics, just more of everything. I’m jealous that you locals have the Post. Even the online version has a much better designed site. I have a hard time finding features I’ve seen in the paper Globe in the online one. I’d hate to see all paper newspapers go away. What happens when we are somewhere without a computer or PDA or whatever if we don’t have a paper paper? What if we want to read the paper in the hammock or take the crossword puzzle to the beach?

It is freezing here. It might have been dmd who asked this morning if I really left the heat on 60. I just bumped the heat up to 62 - a major splurge. We’ll turn it up to close to 70 if we have company, otherwise it’s at 60 to 64 at most. Layers, lots of layers and fleece, and an electric throw for the sofa. Just realized that I’ll miss Obama’s piece at 8 pm. I have yoga. Darn!

Posted by: badsneakers | October 29, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: badsneakers | October 29, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Cold here, dampish too, dbG. Wish we had a few sunny-but-cold fall days. But, DC means DAMP CLIMATE.

About to walk doggie and hope it is for the night. I will step out into the yard later but I hope that the

major accomplishment
day's work load
piece(s) de resistance

etc with the euphemisms occurs toot sweet!

CPBoy, long ago and far away, called them "pebbles."

Ahhh for the days of toddlers naming the world around.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | October 29, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I swear I only posted that once.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 29, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...
The posting is pretty glitchy - don't know why. Even though I'm always signed-in to the Post website, I have to sign-in again to post a comment.
The last time I posted, I got tired of waiting for the progress bar to progress so I hit "refresh" and lo and behold! My comment had posted.
Very Halloweenish...

Posted by: dschalton | October 29, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...
The comment posting is pretty glitchy - don't know why. Even though I'm always signed-in to the Post website, I have to sign-in again to post a comment.
Very Halloweenish...

Posted by: dschalton | October 29, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Aaargh, looks like live boodling may be difficult tonight.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's a trick for those of you afflicted by spontaneous multiple posting disease. As soon as you hit "submit" quit the browser. Then be patient until the post appears. This is what is known as a "workaround."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 29, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I have to figure out if the Obamamercial is on at 5 or 8 Pacific time...sigh...

Posted by: seasea | October 29, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I have to figure out if the Obamamercial is on at 5 or 8 Pacific time...sigh...

Posted by: seasea | October 29, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

RD-I discovered the "work around" by getting disgusted with a work computer and grabbing my laptop out of my back pack. I guess quitting the browser might have been easier.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. I am finally back from my conference, read my 106 emails, pretty caught up on the Boodle. Congrats to all who deserve them for various endeavors, including Joel for so many fine Kits. Accolades to poems, dinners, weddings,etd. Howdy again to dschalton, glad you're still here here here. Conference was good, essentially getting state and community leaders to recommend remaking the state criminal justice system to something that works so we don't have such extremely high incarceration rates. Very interesting. I would say exhilarating but too tired. Leaving for rehearsal now. Hope to continue on Boodle at least through tomorrow until next busy weekend, perhaps even say something both on-topic and coherent. Ha.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 29, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

seasea, the Obamercial is on right now.

No posterboard charts yet.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Keep those sweet tickers tickin' smoothly... sleep in.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 29, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

What's happening? Bio of the early years? People who knew him when?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

ok this obama-mercial is really moving...

Posted by: mortii | October 29, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm giving up-headed over to fivethirtyeight (which is working just fine thank you WaPo).

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Holy Cow! Obama was magnificent! That half hour went by in seconds, and I wanted more. I suspect McCain and Palin are you-know-what-ing in their pants.

If the undecideds who actually took the time to watch the program are still undecided, there is nothing to be done for them.

I can hardly wait to elect Barack Obama.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 29, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I can hardly wait to elect Barack Obama.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | October 29, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Hi all
Hope everyone's evening is going well. Work is slow and just got to watch the Obama infomercial.It was very nice,had me choked up a little.I really feel good about this election.Hopefully the next week will be smooth and the country will elect a new leader.

I am going to watch the rest of the game and I hope it goes a few more nights,sorry my philly friends.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 29, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Go Rays!!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

ok - i just got chills

if this guy wins and really delivers and is as good as he sounds - i see an amazing future in ths country!

Posted by: mortii | October 29, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

ok - i just got chills

Posted by: mortii | October 29, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

To continue dschalton's line, I find the internet ad business tries too hard to "target" the ads. I think to the extent that it's counterproductive. The printed newspaper has a broad base, and often sells chickens. And T shirts. And underwear. Soft drinks, and local restaurants. I don't see that online; but it's all over local printed papers in the USA. No doubt these ad revenues have fallen off, true. Still, someone's not making them work online. There's still a disconnect.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 29, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for people like Frostdottir and her bf, who are voting for the first time this year. It could be a very long time before we have a campaign as interesting and exciting as we've had this time around. It could have been shorter by half, but it's been something to watch in wonder. I do hope my favored candidate wins, but I hope even more that all the newly engaged voters and volunteers stay that way-working for whatever candidates or issues move them.

They just might-

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Hi Jumper:
You're right, internet ads are frequently so targeted that it gets kinda creepy. But with an on-line "newspaper" the ads could, at least, be associated with the articles, photo-features and videos. So, for instance, while reading a restaurant review, ads for similar restaurants (in your zip code?) could be displayed. Or, with a fashion article, ads for clothes sales could be included.
I think one of the biggest lost opportunities for the on-line Post though, is the lack of an advertiser's index. That would be a way-cool thing. But it ain't so.

Posted by: dschalton | October 29, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Jumper-the untargeted qualities of the dead tree edition are what I miss most. When I have the paper in my hands who knows what I might read-certainly a lot more sports, business (pre disaster) and ads than I would ever seek out online.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Trying again to see if machine Boodles

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

The following link is (I think, anyway) one of the coolest features of the Post on-line:
It's frequently hard to find, but demonstrates the power of the internet and electronic publishing. It's just the rignt blend of interesting, interactive information, photography and advertising. If they could only do more of it (like the whole paper, comes to mind) it would make reading the Post on-line an even more interesting and robust experience.

Posted by: dschalton | October 29, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

My bad!
It occurs to me that for the link to work properly you would probably have to go to this link:
and then click on the photo. That will bring up the proper display.
Sorry.

Posted by: dschalton | October 29, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

The Obamercial seemed to me to be aimed squarely at the Red states (I'm surprised they didn't use Copland's wonderful "Fanfare for the Common Man" instead of the generic guitar music...), and nicely done at that.

I wonder how many folks are more concerned than ever about retirement after the first 7 minutes of it? Not that Obama's playing on anyone's fears, mind you...

There's more lucid commentary than this out there, but I'm afraid they're working and/or watching the completion of Game 5 of the World Series (Philly up 4-3 in the 7th, BTW).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeeeeee-haaaa! 4-3.

My wife remarked during the Obamamercial how many people seemed to have this urge to physically reach out and touch Obama, just make physical contact with him. I said yes...and that Bobby kennedy was like that, too. And then teared up.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

bc-should a major party pick another small town mayor to run for high office, I shall insist on Fanfare for the Common Man as my theme song. The Frostfam knows that I want this, Taps, and Amazing Grace played at my funeral.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I like your taste in music, Frosti. I've specified Amazing Grace and the Twenty Third Psalm set to the Scottish tune.

The first time I heard Fanfare for the Comman Man live was in the wake of 9/11. It took the roof off the building. What a piece of music.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

For Frostbitten it should be: Frostafanfare for da Frozen Man.

Having said that, let's see if da Boodlemachine works. Good night everyone!

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Made me chuckle brag. Good night and I hope the machine is airworthy for dawn patrol.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Copland incorporated his Fanfare into a symphony, a very good one that doesn't seem to be played very much.

Later on, Copland was blacklisted.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 29, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Phillies win the World Series. Sorry, Frosti.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Mudge and all you Phanatics, congratulations!

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I have always like Fanfare, there was also a piece I remember liking but have forgotten the name - something about spring?

Did not know he was blacklist - why?

Some of the accusations in the campaign about being guilty by association are harken back to the McCarthy era - the unrealistic idea that someone must know everything about a person the are acquaintances with so in future years it can't be used against them I find ridiculous. Not to mention the silly notion that you can only converse with people holding the same viewpoints.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 29, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Yay, Phillies! Good job, Rays! Hooray, baseball's over!

I watched Obama on MSNBC at 5 PDT, along with you guys - and the Obamamercial will be on the "regular" channels here at 8 PDT, so I can see it again. Thought it was ok, although I kind of tuned out the heart-rending stories, and I was a bit distracted with a slow-draining kitchen sink and dinner preparations. Chris Matthews said afterwards how good the production values were - and I agree, it was well done, especially with the cut to the live rally. Nice to hear your reactions.

Posted by: seasea | October 29, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Appalachian Spring, I think. I know this because of figure skating. Agree, that they're great pieces.

Posted by: seasea | October 29, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

dmd2, the piece you're thinking of is "Appalachian Spring." The 7th movement is its most famous, called "Simple Pleasures (A Shaker Melody)." Played by the right orchestra it is really moving.

My own favorite Copland piece is "El Salon Mexico." I play it over and over at work, along with pieces from "Rodeo," and "Billy the Kid."

Frosti, my own funeral list is like yours: Taps, Amazing Grace, the Navy Hymn -- and then a ton of popular music, leading off with a Meat Loaf medly (Bat Out of Hell, Heaven Can Wait, You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth), A Mi Manera by the Gipsy Kings, Milord and Non, Je'ne Regret Rien by Piaf, Elly Stone singing Brel's My Death and Ay, Marieke, about half of the entire Roy Orbison oeuvre, Timi Yuro's What's the Matter Baby (Is it Hurtin' You), a handful of Springsteen, some Peter, Paul and Mary, Kingston Trio, and a ton of doo-wop.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Copeland's Rodeo-aka "Beef, it's what's for dinner."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

In the astronomically unlikely and potentially catastrophic event that I should ever be elected to political office, I will demand that my theme song be played as I move to the podium when I have been declared the winner - but what?

"Yakkety Sax" is a cliche.
The Mars Theme from Holst's "The Planets" - works for strutting out to a podium in formal Gladiator gear, but Heinlein thought of it first.
Vader's Theme - also cliche, and my daughters already have this as their ringtones for when I call. Plus, I think Cheney already has dibs on this Just In Case...
I dunno, Van Halen's "Eruption" or Judas Priest's "The Hellion?" Both would be cool for rockin' out to the podium for an speech in formal Glaidator gear while doing a fierce air guitar.

And my in my first act as as whatever-elect, I will pound the podium and demand a recount.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 29, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

SCC- Copland (the brain knows there's no e, the fingers disobey)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Amazingly I almost wrote Appalachian Spring, but I first heard it while I was in University and didn't trust my memory.

Rodeo is great as well, just read his wiki entry and was surprised to know several of his pieces.

Also curious about the blacklisting - it is an era in history that has always interested me, read Arthur Millers bio a long time ago - must be the rebel in me that likes that time period. Admiring those who like to break out of the box.

As for the Obama video I really enjoyed it, I do not like hard sells so that type of video I find appealing. Again I find him a refreshing change from Politicians who feel the need to talk down to the average person.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 29, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Phillies and their fans!!!! time to sing some Queen......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 29, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

No, no Queen, please, GWE. The occasion clearly calls for Bobby Rydell, the Dovells (with Len Barry), Frankie Avalon, Jim Croce, the Delphonics, Hall & Oates, Melanie, Charlie Gracie, Todd Rungren, Patti LaBelle, Danny & the Juniors.

Not effing Queen.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 29, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, where do we buy the tickets? I hope you'll put some aside for us, the event will be SRO.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I put my together my funeral music selections some time ago. Along with Verdi's Requiem, I want Pavane for a Dead Princess, Adagio for Strings, and A Cub Fan's Last Lament.

And a solumn high Mass during the Verdi, of course.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | October 29, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

This what happens when something strikes me in this boodle, I go off on tangents, just found this site with interactive info on Copeland.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 29, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you dmd. I have bookmarked that Copland link and will enjoy tomorrow. Watched the intro right away because Michael Tilson Thomas is my favorite living conductor. I remember watching him when I was very young, and he was quite young to be conducting, on the Young People's Concerts that used to be on TV on Saturdays. Back in those days schools even sent kids on field trips to daytime symphonic concerts. (Most of my "elitist" tastes were nurtured by either public or working class parochial schools.)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I always hesitate, but not for very long at a time, to disagree with Mr. Curmudgeon, but, tonight I have to throw in my lot with greenwithenvy. Queen is just right. We are the Champions!

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I went to similar schools Frosti, we went to the symphony and I recall the Canadian Brass playing in our gym. My kids go to musicals but so far no Peter and the Wolf.

Posted by: dmd2 | October 29, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

for Cassandra

in between two heartbeats

a race between two doves

love and peace

Posted by: omnigood | October 29, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

toodles boodle and sweet dreams. congrats Phillies fans.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 29, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "for a speech"

Sheesh.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 30, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

SCC: "for a speech"

Sheesh.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 30, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

We lost a pup, because our dog isn't lactating enough. Thus, we have to bottle feed every couple of hours. It's gonna be one of those nights.

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear that Jack,I will say a little prayer for the rest of your pups.
Hang in there buddy and goodnight.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 30, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Oh, jack, that's so sad. Good luck getting through the night, and the day tomorrow.

Sally Ride endorses Obama:

Posted by: seasea | October 30, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Sally Ride endorses Obama:

Posted by: seasea | October 30, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Now, lookit, I did not submit twice - I walked away to watch Jon Stewart, came back to a "Connection broken" message. And look at the timestamps...sigh...Is it Friday yet?

Posted by: seasea | October 30, 2008 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: seasea | October 30, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Click (turning out the lights)
Night all.

Posted by: dschalton | October 30, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Not even a porch light? A night light? Somebody got a firefly in a jar?

I was asleep during Obama's program, but woken at 10:00 or so by cars zooming down the street, accompanied by lots of shouted WOOHOOs and, yes, Queen. Fireworks began, followed by a dog climbing the stairs to hide under the desk in my room. It took me a minute, but then I knew the Phillies had won.

On my block, hilarity ensued for about half an hour, undergoing a resurgence at 2. I think it'll take a few days for everyone to get fireworks out of their systems.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 30, 2008 3:21 AM | Report abuse

It's early and I'm decaffineated but I think this might be the first time ever I agree with George Will:

Posted by: -dbG- | October 30, 2008 3:56 AM | Report abuse

I particularly appreciated the Obamathon's "what I will do" approach, as opposed to "why the other guy is bad." Not that there were any real details, but... *shrug*

My approaching-the-podium song would have to be Carl Stalling's "Powerhouse Theme," or perhaps Rush's "La Villa Strangiato," which incorporates that melody more than a little bit.

Congrats to the Phillies!! Quite a rock-em-sock-em ending, I must say.
Sorry, Frosti.

One fewer airline this morning:
I think that will be good in the long run, but we'll see.

Hope there's a Metro car waiting when I get off the train this morning!!

:-O

*breaking-up-the-ice-in-the-shower-before-starting-the-morning-routine-and-approaching-the-runway Grover waves*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2008 4:58 AM | Report abuse

The drum major at my high school was the most cliche proto-Yuppie Young Republican you could imagine (he went on to become a lawyer). His favorite music was "Fanfare For The Common Man". He recognized the irony since he had nothing but contempt for the commmon man.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2008 5:25 AM | Report abuse

I keep thinking about PBDEs and the various laws requiring kids' pajamas and halloween costumes to be fireproof.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2008 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I missed the Obamathon. My wife and I were having a late dinner and I forgot to DVR it. I made penance by watching snippets of McCain on Larry King until my blood boiled.

Rachel Maddows had Ron Paul explaining why he was still a Republican but couldn't support McAngry. He is on the ballot in two states and is polling at 4% in Montana, leading Bob Barr the official Libertarian candidate and could be an official Nader-style spoiler for McCain in that state.

Posted by: PopSocket | October 30, 2008 5:35 AM | Report abuse

One of McCain's latest attacks in his kitchen sink strategy is that all these small denomination anonymous contributions are corrupting because Obama will then be beholden to people he has no idea who they are. (Grammar police, please!)

Every time McCain says "campaign contributions", someone in the back of the room should be going *cough*Keating*cough*.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2008 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Digital dark age may doom data

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2008 5:46 AM | Report abuse

George Will has long subscribed to the theory that "money is free speech" and bears a particular ill-will towards McCain's various campaign reform attempts. George may be a conservative hack, but he is a principled and consistent one.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, and McCain says you Murricans should be afraid of that one candidate who is under pressure from the million people who gave money (average $86) to a campaign for the first time in their life. Isn't it what democracy is about?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 30, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. I see we've got Scotty, yello (in several hues) and jumper already up for the Dawn patrol, and I expect Brag will be along any moment.

I gotta say, that's a really good George Will column this morning. Broder's column, on the other hand, strikes me as a failed attempt at even-handedness. I think he was pretty far off in a few of his assessments.

My wife (the C&W fan, alas) told me the C&W airwaves are filled with a story about Tim McGraw (whose father, Tug McGraw, was the winning pitcher when the Phillies won the series in 1980) throwing out the first pitch the other night, and also scattering some of his dad's ashes on the mound--hence Tug's "presence" aiding the Phillies in their win. A ton and a half of simple-minded half-a$$ed redneck theology, of course -- but a nice story nevertheless (especially if you loved Tug McGraw, as I did). The irony of this C&W redneck theology occuring in the heart of South Philly, of all places, does not escape me.

OK, gotta put out the recycle stuff this morning before jumping in the shower. See yuns later.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Hah! I too double-osted. Didn't close that browser fast enough.

And now for something completely different: I'm taking a survey on who should play Sally Forth in the movie version. I know this is something more up Weingarten's alley, but I'm just throwing it out.

And signing off from Dawn Patrol duty. I want to thank Jumper for being my wingman this morning. Solo sorties are tough.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Simple-minded half-a$$ed redneck C&W is a state of mind, not a location. Based on the time I've spent in line (which is considerable) at Tony Luke's waiting for a deluxe pork wit rabe, I think Tim and Tug would fit right in.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2008 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Morning, everybody. Is the sun up yet?

Five.More.Days.

I just hope we survive.

Hey, Cassandra. I hope you're feeling okay this morning.

Posted by: slyness | October 30, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a link to the leaf cam the Boss mentioned. When does it become a twig cam?
Also, I'm still waiting for the kit on the C&O Canal fund-raiser Joel attended.

Posted by: Boko999 | October 30, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle!
*Rushing for the flight line before Mudge gets too impatient.*

Contact! Vroom, vroom.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

A fine, clear starry sky in the Brunswick Sector of the Dawn Patrol this morning -- won't get to see that again for a few weeks thanks to the time change, but I'll live.

yello;

For Sally Forth -- who played the mom on "Gilmore Girls?" Lauren someone?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

David Ignatius is near on target about what he calls the Alpha capitalists who are responsible for the economic crisis. I would like to see some deeper digging into this. Alas, I doubt that it will ever happen.

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Lauren Graham, good pick Scotty

Posted by: omnigood | October 30, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

Just a quick fly-by and buzzing of the tower...

I think the Obamamercial was very well done. The mix of positive messages and the gravity of reality really hit home for me and just may have done what it was supposed to -- energize the base and knock a few undecideds (and possibly a confused Republican or three) off the fence.

The production quality was top notch, as well.

Off to sawdust land now...

Peace out :-)

Posted by: martooni | October 30, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: -dbG- | October 30, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

There's been some huffing and puffing lately about whether all these nearly unanimous polls showing a decisive Obama win are right or not. (I think it's a lot of hot air, and singing hymns while the Titanic goes down). But I think now it isn't a question of the polls--so many millions of people have already voted, and the indication seems to be about 60-40 for Obama.

I think we could be looking at a tsunami here.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | October 30, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse