Living Off the Land in Space

[My story from this morning's paper.]

Excerpt:

The grand drama of humankind's conquest of space has featured as a recurring subplot the mystery of how people in zero gravity can possibly go to the bathroom. The latest twist in that narrative is about to take place high above Earth, where astronauts will deliver to the international space station a new toilet, officially known as the waste and hygiene compartment, plus a contraption that can recycle urine into drinkable water.

These and other upgrades were carried into orbit last night by the space shuttle Endeavour, carrying a crew of seven.

The new toilet will go into the American laboratory known as Destiny. The only toilet currently on the station is in the Russian lab. The second toilet, the wastewater recycling system, new sleeping quarters and a refrigerator are all part of what NASA is billing as "extreme home improvements" on the space station. The goal is to make the station habitable by as many as six astronauts at a time, double the current crew limit.

Human sweat, excess water from tooth brushing, and water extracted from the humid spaceship interior have long been reprocessed into something astronauts can consume. But urine has gone to waste, tossed overboard (or vented, as NASA puts it), an egregious inefficiency in the great desert of space.

The new water recovery system, housed in two racks the size of refrigerators, will save 743 gallons of water a year that would otherwise have to be launched into orbit at great expense. This will also help NASA plan for future missions to the moon, where astronauts might operate for prolonged periods with little chance of seeing a water delivery truck anytime soon.

Standing between the urine and the consumable end product are muscular apparatus that distill, filter, heat and chemically transmogrify the liquid. The instruments include a catalytic reactor, a gas separator, multi-filtration beds, a particulate filter, a reactor health sensor, a microbial check valve, a fluids control and pump assembly, and a pressure control and purge assembly. This removes almost all the organic molecules from the liquid.

Here's much more from NASA on going to the loo in space:

The waste collection system is an integrated, multifunctional system used primarily to collect and process biological wastes from crew members in a zero-gravity environment. The WCS is located in the middeck of the orbiter crew compartment in a 29-inch -wide area immediately aft of the crew ingress and egress side hatch. The commode is 27 by 27 by 29 inches and is used like a standard toilet.

The system collects, stores and dries fecal wastes and associated tissues; processes urine and transfers it to the waste water tank; processes EMU condensate water from the airlock and transfers it to the waste water tank if an extravehicular activity is required on a mission; provides an interface for venting trash container gases overboard; provides an interface for dumping ARS waste water overboard in a contingency situation; and transfers ARS waste water to the waste water tank.

A door on the waste management compartment and two privacy curtains attached to the inside of the compartment door provide privacy for crew members. One curtain is attached to the top of the door and interfaces with the edge of the interdeck access, and the other is attached to the door and interfaces with the galley, if installed. The door also serves as an ingress platform during prelaunch (vertical) operations since the flight crew must enter the flight deck over the waste management compartment. The door has a friction hinge and must be open to gain access to the waste management compartment.

The WCS consists of a commode, urinal, fan separators, odor and bacteria filter, vacuum vent quick disconnect and waste collection system controls. The commode contains a single multilayer hydrophobic porous bag liner for collecting and storing solid waste. When the commode is in use, it is pressurized, and transport air flow is provided by the fan separator. When the commode is not in use, it is depressurized for solid waste drying and deactivation. The urinal is essentially a funnel attached to a hose and provides the capability to collect and transport liquid waste to the waste water tank. The fan separator provides transport air flow for the liquid. The fan separators separate the waste liquid from the air flow. The liquid is drawn off to the waste water tank, and the air returns to the crew cabin through the odor and bacteria filter. The filter removes odors and bacteria from the air that returns to the cabin. The vacuum quick disconnect is used to vent liquid directly overboard from equipment connected to the quick disconnect through the vacuum line.

The urinal can accommodate both males and females. The urinal assembly is a flexible hose with attachable funnels for males or females. It can be used in a standing position or can be attached to the commode by a pivoting mounting bracket for use in a sitting position.

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 15, 2008; 8:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Bigger Picture
Next: 'It's Like Heaven Here'

Comments

Well, so much for the glamor of spaceflight.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 15, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Repost:

TBG,
May I remind you that you were the one that sent me down the Second Life primrose path. You only have yourself to blame for where it led.

The "eco-resort" lost me at "golf course." Pretty close to mutually exclusive terms.

And I had no idea Dick Cavett was still alive, let alone had a blog. Good for him.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Our animal nature always gets the best of us, doesn't it? This reminds me of the scene in Paradise Lost when Adam asks an archangel (Michael? Gabriel?) how they handle sex, and the archangel blushes. Jeez, I really need to get my act together and reread that poem.

Posted by: slyness | November 15, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I am now going to spend the rest of the day preparing my script treatment for "P|ssed In Space" starring Tim Allen as an astronaut that makes some minor power modifications to the vacuum module of the "liquid waste collection unit". Hilarity ensues. I'll make sure Joel gets at least a technical adviser credit.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

My animal nature certainly gets the best of me, reliably and frequently.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

They're working on that one, slyness.

I know that *I'm* not going to Mars unless I have a chance of joining the Zero-Gee Club.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

When I was in college a bunch of us had lunch with an alumni who was an astronaut. He told many "behind the scenes" tales of spaceflight, including the hazards of consuming water produced from a fuel-cell. Evidently the residual hydrogen greatly exacerbates methane formation in the human gut.

All of this just shows that one of the trickiest parts of space travel is simply keeping the people alive. Which is why I am a little cynical about the long term usefulness of pushing our fleshy bits into the aether.

I mean, compare this story with the one about the Pale White Dots. One story was about how unmanned space exploration has resulted in salient images of extrasolar planets. While the other is about the technical challenges of processing human effluents in orbit.

Now, this is kind of an unfair comparison. The argument could be made that all of this is simply the dirty work needed to prepare for Great Voyages to the Final Frontier yet to come.

But I still have my doubts.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 15, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Mudge.. forget about "image." It's time to work on "interface."

"One curtain is attached to the top of the door and interfaces with the edge of the interdeck access, and the other is attached to the door and interfaces with the galley, if installed."

Don't they mean just plain old "face" here? As in "the curtain faces the galley."

Posted by: -TBG- | November 15, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from previous Boodling:

"Joel writes about the new zero gee toilet that the Space Shuttle Endeavour is delivering to the ISS, to be placed in the Destiny module.

I am disappointed that Joel does not mention the 0G toilet scenes in "2001: A Space Odyssey," such as Floyd reading the very long instructions for use of same outside the Lavatory door - as if no one would ever be in a hurry to use a toilet up there.

On a related topic, I wonder what the heck the bathrooms in the Star Wars Cantina look like? And how much they'd need to pay someone - or a whole HAZMAT team - to clean them at the end of a night (The Cantina Men's room after a bunch of drunk Wookies with their bifurcated, er, equipment staggering around in there, or if Jabba the Hut and his brothers got hold of some bad clams (hint: Don't eat the bar food at the Cantina)? Ay Carrumba.)? Might've been a good place to first use the line, "What an *amazing* smell you've discovered."

Back to Joel's article for a sec - I'm considering the idea that I might drink that recycled water after it tested OK. And mixed with a nice single-malt Scotch.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 14, 2008 11:32 PM"

Posted by: -bc- | November 15, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Gypsy Soup:
Recipe By: Mollie Katzen, _Moosewood Cookbook_

* 3 tablespoons olive oil -- up to 4T
* 2 cups chopped onion
* 2 cloves chopped garlic
* 2 cups sweet potatoes -- chopped & peeled (Or winter squash)
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
* 3/4 cup chopped sweet peppers
* 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
* 3 cups stock or water
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 teaspoon basil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* dash cinnamon
* dash cayenne
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce

In a soup kettle or large saucepan, saute onions, garlic, celery and sweet potatoes in olive oil for about five minutes.

Add seasonings, except tamari, and the stock or water.

Simmer, covered, fifteen minutes.

Add remaining vegetables and chickpeas.

Simmer another 10 minutes or so - until all the vegetables are as tender as you like them.

____
About to cue up stage one of this soup for the crockpot. Chicken to go in the oven, too. Maggies/Rickies, you can do impromptu chicken upright or lying down stuffed with whole fruit. The fruit scents and moistens the bird. Put fruit in compost bin, later.

The kit reminds me of the story that QEII's husband asked about this essential knowledge of an astronaut.

NOTES : The vegetables used in this soup are flexible.
Any orange vegetable can be combined with green...for example, peas or green beans could replace the peppers.
Carrots can be used instead of, or in addition to the squash or sweet potatoes, etc.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 15, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

On Deep Space Nine, one of the running gags was that Miles O'Brien was always being asked to repair the "waste extraction system."

And at least on ST:TNG, they made frequent reference to the sonic showers which was great technobabble allowing the characters to walk in from another room perfectly dry but still wrapped in a towel.

I am such a dork.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

This just cracks me up... read the entire email exchange...

Man Submits Drawing Of Spider Instead Of Payment For Overdue Account

Posted by: -TBG- | November 15, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Meant to add something from last night:

Joel, you had me at "transmogrify," even if it is a bit tongut in cheek.

Been reading a paper that has some relation to this topic, I'll post something about it later.

Posted by: -bc- | November 15, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, if it's a sonic shower, why do you need a towel at all? Except to placate Standards and Practices.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Having no gastronomical delights to share when CP previously asked about easy from-scratch seasonal dishes, I just lurked (and dreamed of having a real grocery store within 20 miles). However, her current recipe reminds me of my latest favorite thing-substituting sweet potatoes for white. French fries, delish. In elk stew, even better. (yes, we are still eating elk and this just from what a cousin gave us)

Off now to the winter farmers' market. Leans heavily toward baked goods, meat, and handicrafts, but should be fun anyway. Hope Mr. F suggests a detour to Granny's donuts. "Granny" is a Vietnamese couple who got into the donut biz in Montana before settling in West St. Paul to start their own shop. Dunkin and Krispy Kreme fans, just imagine your favorite but 10X better.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 15, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Well, a terrific kit if one is into loos, toliets, and their functions other than the obvious one. I suppose "venting" means we're in space doing what we do here, pollute? Oh, those pesky nature calls. I couldn't help but smile while reading this kit, although all the technical jargon left me so far behind, I probably need to get a dictionary and do a re-read.

Mudge, Slyness, Scotty, Martooni, and all, have a great weekend, folks.*waving*

It is cloudy and dreary here, with chances of much more rain. My collard plants are looking alive, if not a bit small. I'm hoping all this water will send them into growing mode, big time. My neighbor's plants are huge.

I think I'll have pancakes today. Haven't had those in some time, and it's quick. The g-girl and the grandsons love pancakes. Wish they were here to join in.

Hope the sun is bright and warm where you are, and you don't have to deal with raking leaves. I walked a little bit this morning around the courtyard. It felt good.

Hope to check in later.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 15, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone linked to the PuppyCam yet?

It is SOOOOO adorable.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

One day I will open an orbiting beer bar. The barley greenhouse and hops-growing space (I think I'll have some coffee beans growing, too) will have to be large; probably I'll have to order a lot of ceramic struts and thick plate glass from Luna and pay to have it boosted back to my Earth orbit. I'll have to ship some few tens of tons of plain old rock for radiation shielding; to heck with putting up with solar rads. Not me, man.

I'll have most of my living space there, including the bar, in a rotating habitat with centrifugal gravity. I'll have a weight room there for workouts, and we can jog around the wheel perimeter for exercise like in 2001 Space Odyssey.

What I'll do is, sell visiting astronauts and tourists beer, and serve coffee before they leave, and then gain a net kilo or so of H2O from each visitor, when they use the facilities. Soon I'll dominate the orbiting water market.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 15, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I gotta get back to earth and tansform myself into a bookie. Heading for the bookstore where I will perform signatorial ceremonies.

Latta, Gang.:o)

Posted by: Braguine | November 15, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Jumper1, if you go 'way back into the Achenarchives, you'll see that there's already a bar out there (not Quark's, yellojkt) for Boodlers - the Hellbar on asteroid Tempel-1.

You know, the one that a certain Sciencey Boodler's remote probe bombed - er, I mean, intiated a remote kinetic energy release - a few years ago.

Posted by: -bc- | November 15, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Urine is a good source of nitrates which can be used to make powder for the astronaut's space-muskets and the ISS's space-cannons.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 15, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

yello, I'll see you a PuppyCam and raise you a semi-famous NukeFeline...

I had a better caption, frankly...

"I no see ice cream, I no bend spoon."

Damn that Editor Happycat... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 15, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Snuke. Lolcats are no match for live streaming puppies.

bc,
The Hellbar predates me by a month or so. I didn't make my first comment until August 23, 1985

---------------
Here you go, Dreamer.
(pouring margarita at the HellBar on Tempel-1)
There's extra salt and lime, if you want it.

(to the TSA-15, friends and family in the HellBar's friendly environs)
Anyone else want a drink? This one's on me.
{snip}

Posted by: bc | July 12, 2005 6:32 PM

---------------
Segways are overrated.
When I get old and lose mobility, I intend to do something so awesomely, spectacularly stupid (and this coming from a guy that races cars for fun) that I'm going to end up in the Captain Pike wheelchair. Maybe I'll ride Deep Impact II over to the HellBar on Tempel-1. I've ridden a Segway, it's overrated compared to a Ducati or Kawasaki Hayabusa.

{snip}

Posted by: bc | July 13, 2005 1:11 PM
-----------------------

Maybe it's time to dust off the raktajino machine, stock some Suarian brandy and re-open the bar.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

frostbitten - There's a Burmese restaurant (currently located in Silver Spring, MD, where Brag will be today, I think. I'm pretty sure it originally started in College Park, MD) that was originally a doughnut shop, but morphed into a restaurant when folks were driven mad with desire by the delicious smells from the kitchen as the owners cooked lunch for themselves. I'm not even sure if they make doughnuts anymore, but they were darned tasty!

Posted by: bobsewell | November 15, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Anyone in the Fairfax area who may be interested... there's a GREAT used-book sale at Robinson Secondary School.

Hardbacks are $1; paperbacks are 50¢. Today until 4:00 and tomorrow from 10:00 to 4:00.

Robinson Secondary School
Gold Cafeteria
5035 Sideburn Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22003

Posted by: -TBG- | November 15, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

TBG - I was going to ask you about the location when you mentioned it earlier.

And that e-mail exchange about the unpaid bill was hoot! I laughed out loud.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 15, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, once again I have nothing of worth to say on this topic (was a littled grossed out by the fecal matter).

I do add this though, environmentally friendly golf courses exist and can be beneficial.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I like it, boko. Did you read The Baroque Cycle? That's part of the reason I found it hard to believe that corned beef ever happened.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 15, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Bob. I was worried that I'd kind of spammed up the boodle a bit with that announcement. Glad to know someone might actually be interested.

:-)

Posted by: -TBG- | November 15, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Dull, cool rainy day here, I am amusing myself by viewing the newly reopened Art Gallery of Ontario (Frank Gerhy renovation). For fans of Art and Architecture this is a great mix.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Snuke,
I did like your caption better.
And that is one fine looking nukecat.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Great spider correspondence, TBG. I have to confess a certain fondness for the phrase "in lei on money."

I'm just about to get to work. We're doing disaster recovery testing next weekend, which means pre-testing this weekend. I think I'd vote for whomever promised me a 40 hour workweek, overtime, comp time, something. I feel the egregious time-stealing policies of many employers has been ignored for too long.

Last night I went rug shopping with a friend, and brought home (very good sale) 2 wool 5x8s, 1 oriental hand-knotted(living room), 1 oriental patterned (dining room). The one in the living room is down and appears to go really well in the room; perhaps I could tell more if 2 large, black dogs would stop stretching out to cover every inch of it.

Have a good day, Boodle! To slightly paraphrase Brag, latte.

Posted by: -dbG- | November 15, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Totally off-topic rant. “S” is reversing the door opening on our new refrigerator which was bought from necessity, not want. Each time I have purchased a new refrigerator, it is more cheaply made than the last one. I’m almost afraid to put food in it for fear the shelves will collapse. I liked the old one better but it would have cost almost as much to fix it as buying a new one. Because it was 12 years old, this option made no sense. I also replaced my printer last week, same thing, would have cost more to fix, if I could have found anyone who would do it, than buying a new one. Planned obsolescence - bah!

Posted by: badsneakers | November 15, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

dmd, I think Joel is trying for that Pultizer by all means possible, including out-Weingartening Weingarten in topic matter... only tastefully.

Next week: prank calls to Iran.

Just in case, you know, they ask previous pultizer winners whom Joel knows to judge.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Isn't ARS waste water also known as the "Hershey Squirts"?

Just askin'.

Posted by: martooni | November 15, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

dmd,
The narrator of that museum illustration describes the building as being Canadian Tire tarpaulin blue. Didn't know there was such a shade.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Yello most Canadians right now are smiling - we own several Canadian Tire blue Tarps.

Other pictures I have seen of the barnacle stairs really show off how blue that wall is - a stark contrast to the Grange House in the front - yet it works.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 15, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

This blog has a good picture contrasting the blue wall with the park Grange House in the foreground.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 15, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Howdy all
Brought Mom back to west by god today,the fires going and we are just hanging out. we will probably listen to UM vs UNC later today. That rivalry brings back some nice memories. Boomer Easison back in the,cold day like today and #7 Carolina coming to town. Should be fun.

Go Terps

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

scc: back in the day
and I think Carolina is ranked #17 not #7

I also enjoyed reading this sports story

Way to go Keydettes...oh and I love the coaches name

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

poke it with a stick to see if I kilt it.....looks dead to me.......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Nah, you didn't kill it gwe. It's just restin'

That was football, right?

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

That Md-UNC game is a real close one, but I would hate to be in the stands.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Bless you Yoki...yes it is football 14-12 now my boys are winning so far.....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Think of all the mind bleach that was saved Yoki, the Edmonton Eskimos won't have to be the Eastern team in the Grey Cup.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 15, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh my stars and garters...

The Kennedy Center bleeped Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words" during his tribute at the LIVE Twain ceremony!!! This is just plain wrong!

*SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 15, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

You speak the truth, shriek!

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm heading toward the last BBQ of the season. Snow is forecasted for tomorrow.

NY strips, scalloped potatoes ( what the French eastern elitist snobbishly call Gratin Dauphinois) and Brussels sprouts.

And that was a good game. I hope A.Cavillo will end his career with a Grey Cup. The CFL had the first great black QB, Warren Moon and Calvillo is the first great latino QB.
We had the best short QB too, Doug Flutie. Too bad he went back to the dark side.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

And watching Moon run was a great pleasure, so lithe and tricky.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"Isn't ARS waste water also known as the 'Hershey Squirts'?"

I thought of posting a similar remark but thought, "Nah, this crowd's too high-class for that." Shows what I know.

Yello: thanks for the Puppy Cam. I put a link up from my blog (http://capnchucky.typepad.com/heartofdogness/)
Jumper: Hi. Look for your story this week.

Posted by: capnchucky | November 15, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Shriek May the Schwartz be with you!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The prettiest runner was Art Monk.

Posted by: nellie4 | November 15, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

We win 17-15!!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Now this is making me hungry for wild game... mm, that tang of lead...

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Boodle. It is with deep regret that I must report I was vastly disappointed with Joel's article because of his total negligent failure to mention whether the new space loo has a built-in magazine rack, and the contents thereof. I figure "Nat. Geo." and "Sky & Telescope" are givens. But is there "Sky Mall"? Can one sit at one's ease and order ergonomically designed ear muffs, or bunny slippers, or exquisitely overpriced massage loungers? Does NASA have one of those in-flight magazines like some airlines do, touting the wonders of Barvelona, and a profile of Mickey Rourke?

You see? This is the kind of thing Joel completely overlooked.

Meanwhile, what a day! It was 72 and sunny for most of the day down in Virginia (40 miles south of Washington) on the banks of the Potomac. That's incredible for the Ides of November. I was working on the patio of the vac house in a T-shirt. *sigh* made three trips to the local building supply place (two for epoxy), and on the third trip broke down and bought myself a cicular saw (believe it or not, my wife talked me into it. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool when your wife talks you into buying a power tool, I can't tell you).

Dragged our weary butts home, where no. 3 daughter bought pizza for dinner. Am about to vedge out in my manchair, where I will probably doze off unintentionally until Saturday Night Live.

OK, I leave you with the new Boodle thread: what's in that magazine rack?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 15, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

(Also, on the ISS, is there assigned seating? Beverage service? Little bags of pretzels? Does NASA charge extra for your second suitcase? Does the cabin stink of borscht when there's Russkies aboard? Do you have to buy your own headphones? What is the in-flight movie? Is it still "Invincible," the Vince Papale story with Mark Walberg, or have they sent up a new one?

I have to think of everything around here.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 15, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon! So glad to see you. Sounds like an almost perfect man-day, with the lack of football-watching compensated for by a new power tool.

I nominate a couple of the Janes intelligence/defence periodicals in case brag drops in, Knitting World for some of the most beloved boodlers, Sports Illustrated for everyone but me and Ivansmom, and Bon Appetit and Gourmet for you and me, buddy. Motorsport for bc. American Football Monthly for GentlemanGWE and the artist currently known as loafie. The Economist because it's great, the New Yorker and Harpers for general interest. Dogs in Canada for me and Wilbrod. Now for bobsewell and his ilk, hmmmm. Gonna hafta think for a bit....

How'm I doing?

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

It's dead, Jim.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

F1 Magazine for bc and me.

Steak was great. Getting sleepy. Marc Labrèche is funnier than ever.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 15, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

No it is just resting,i'm sure it had a nice dinner and took a little nap on the couch. Well that is what I did.

Nice to have mom here,not only for her company,but her Meatballs!!!!.Now she is doing the dishes.

Beautiful moonrise tonight and Hey Yoki,I will take the AFM you suggested.can't get enough of the football these days.

red n white with envy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for letting me out of the Sports Illustrated, Yoki. I love your "football?" identifications.

I nominate Burroughs, What's-her-name Princess of Barsoom etc. The Edgar Rice, that is, not the Naked Lunch William. Though I suppose Naked Lunch might not go amiss in space either.

Sorry. Coherent thought is sporadic now. You know it is almost bedtime when you take a perfectly good eggnog & brandy and almost drift paprika on top, rather than nutmeg. Saved by "almost" once again.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 15, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

McSweeney's and The American Scholar.

Posted by: LostInThought | November 15, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

done, and done. This is going to be a very large magazine rack. The best thing is nobody will ever lack something good to read.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Outdoor Edge and yes, 4 different kinds of knitting magasines, 7 books (Wordsworth, a knitting book, a stitch dictionary, a couple of novels and a big game record book). There is a layer of older things there, but I am afraid to look.

Our 'privy chamber' is so swank that we have a book case.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 15, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

mine too, dr, mine too!

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

You know, some people feel that everything is better with paprika sprinkled on top.

Well, that's what I heard.

And didja know that the late Carl Sagan really wanted his license plate to read "Barsoom" but it was too many letters? Don't you feel like a better person now that you know this?

As for Privy reading material,- according to the movie "The Big Chill," the magazine "People" was created for just that purpose.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 15, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Cook's Illustrated
Atlantic
Two dozen Saturday Evening Posts from 1948 to 1961, selected at random
The Life magazine with Yvette Mimieux on the cover
The Estes model rocket catalog
The LL Bean fall/winter catalog
Biblical Archeology Review with major Hershel Shanks article on Bar Kokhba
Sears & Roebuck "Wish Book," 1958

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 15, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Firehouse Magazine for me! It's the gossipy rag for the fire service, and I know many of the contributors. I'm rather partial to Smithsonian too.

Now you folks have given me an idea. Mr. T and I painted the big bathroom this week, and there's a wall he thinks needs something on it. Wonder if I can find a white wicker bookshelf or two? That would be perfect!

Posted by: slyness | November 15, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Forget the magazines.

How about a lightweight laptop, wireless connection, mounted on a swing/swivel arm?

Posted by: -dbG- | November 15, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Surprise me. Country living for the pictures, gourment, scientific American, and above mags sound good.

Also, and for the WTF factor...

Any magazine serving the mortician, tattoo artist, hunting, or other unusual industry.

Gotta make sure those astronaut tattoos are done right, no?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Field and Stream without the field part or better yet In-Fishermen.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, how could I forget WoodenBoat magazine?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 15, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

dbG, you [insert Marvin the Martian voice here] *crack me up.*

Boodle, dbG is so awesomely cool and digital and young that when she picked me up at the Philly airport the first thing she did (after giving me an amazing hug) was say, "You, Yoki, wear a watch! hahahhahhahah! People who are of and in the 21st century use their cell phones to read time!"

I'm not cool, but in my own defence, I travel almost continuously and can't be bothered to set the cell phone, BlackBerry and Ipod-Touch clocks to the zone in which I find myself, and wear the watch because I rely on it, exclusively, to let me know if I am punctual to appointments, rendevous and assignations (and being borderline OCD, punctuality is not optional).

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Oooooh! Skin & Ink for Wilbrod! Rather daring and dashing, dear friend.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I use a watch (with an actual clock face too!) or I look at the clock.

Cell phones and such gizmos are a nice idea, but a wristwatch is far harder to lose, and the batteries last longer-- years, even.

Besides, I remember learning how to read a clock as a child long before I learned about that sixty minutes thing.

Somehow, it's more aesthetically satisfying than staring at a bunch of numbers.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

And let us not neglect to subscribe to Morticians that Care, for Wilbrod.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I want Gentledog Quarterly, Yoki, especially their "Forest Issue."

Their scratch 'n' sniff is awesome, and I hear they have a centerfold all about bunnies this year.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm laughing with (with!) gwe, because our Canadian public broadcaster has become so careful about language that 'the people who used to be fishermen' are now called 'fishers.'

And also from what I've gathered, over time, the fur-bearing mammal that used to be known as 'wolverine' (Disney, anyone?) and is famously fierce and dangerous and might drop on you from a snowy branch at any moment as you climb in snowshoes the steep inclines of the Yukon and rip out your jugular vein, is now also re-named 'Fisher.'

That's *hilarious,* if you ask me.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Fishers,isn't that what happens when the earth opens up.... call me a fisherman or the breeze.....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrodog, Broc the Collie, the Gentledog, is *nodding.*

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

The fisher in Minnesota is related to the Wolverine, but smaller. Also called pine martin, or pole cat. My mom saw one nearly 2 months ago and we did a "Mammals of North America" search to identify the right one. They're all large weasels in my book.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

*snort*

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Talk about a major fraud scheme:

And the collective blind eye isn't inspiring either.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Such a beautiful moonlit night,I feel pretty good.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 15, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

It is, isn't it? I'm hoping you don't suffer from a touch of bc's affliction.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Yoki's in Philly, huh? Touring th ancesrtral Curmudgeon shire. I am sure dbG will show you all the relevant haunts.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 15, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

*last* October. The Philly BPH you couldn't make, 'mudge.

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod-I've been following the Petters case pretty closely and it boggles the mind.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 15, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Haiku report:

Mercury shrinks low;
Bed shivers with piled blankets
and a low mutter.

Ice polishes trail
Gnome clumping in snow boots skids;
Cussing warms the air.

I count endless snores
As gnome curls up for winter
--for a few hours, anyhow.

Sunshine hovers low;
Gnome and dog on promenade
Much to see and smell.

Snow frosts dark oak leaves
Dog runs across moonlit lawn
Tree to tree to tree....

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "a few hours anyhow"

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Old dogs matter,
Slow and still the kindness
shines from eyes

-Broc-

Posted by: Yoki | November 15, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

The eyes have it, Broc!

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 15, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Ei ei, cap'n!

Broc

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Please give that wonderful Broc a big hug from me, dmddog just came in from outside where it is cool, rainy and windy.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 16, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm tryin' to stay up and keep you company long as I can, Yoki. "Weekend Update" is about to come on SNL, but I don't know how much longer after that I can manage.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Not to worry 'Mudge. Rest your bones, darlin' man.

I'm in good company wherever I go.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Yikes. Beyonce's dress is...interesting.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

night boodle

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 16, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

g'night greenwithenvy. g'night 'mudge. g'night Boodle.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Man, defrosting is hard on the body, isn't it?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 16, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Not if you use sour cream vanilla frosting, Wilbrod. Just forego the jimmies and sprinkles--too hard on the tongue.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

How exciting! The ScienceSpouse just got me my own copy of "It Looks Like a President, Only Smaller" at BookCloseOuts.com for $1.49. Bon marché! (Sorry Joel).

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 16, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Night all, night John Boy

Posted by: dmd2 | November 16, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

g'night, dmd.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Totally off topic. We had our dogs CERF tested today, along with two of their litter mates. We do this to identify any problems with premature cataracts, as it's established in our breed's gene pool. Everyone passed, a result that's consistent with the health history of parents and grandparents three generations removed. Keep in mind the four dogs are siblings. We're at a point where we need to decide which dogs are best for our breeding program, so we had patellas tested for two of the sibs still in our posession; the other two are pets and have been neutered. Our male has grade 1 luxating patellas. The female is normal. Another one of their sibs has the same diagnosis as the previously mentioned male. Thus, of the six cohorts, there is a 33.3% incidence of luxating patellas, one male and one female. Since there isn't an apparent pattern with respect to gender, I suspect that the appearance of this trait may be due to nothing more than probability, but I'm concerned at the ratio of luxating to normal individuals. We want to breed our female to a sire with a good history. We do this as a matter of course, in an attempt to keep the crap out of the gene pool. Comments?

Posted by: -jack- | November 16, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

rats. posted while everyone is tucked in. goodnight moon.

Posted by: -jack- | November 16, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

jack, I have some pretty good insight into this, I like to talk about breeding and pedigrees and standards. This isn't the place, but if you would like to discuss this, you can initiate that conversation at dbioyoki@hotmail.com.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Sorry jack, it's off my depth. I looked at a couple of large dogs problems in details but patella luxation isn't one of them.

What was wrong with Beyoncé's outfit? That young woman is positively fetching.

Timberlake was quite funny, imho.

It's not raining, the dogs had their late walkie and they are not dripping all over the place. Good.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 16, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Not everyone. Not the insomniacs amongst us.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Do I have an ilk?

Hey, for reading material, I could happily make do with what's been suggested so far. But if we feel the need to spice things up further, the Utne Reader and Ebony and/or Jet are always useful for providing different points of view. I generally dip into one of each of them at least every few months.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 16, 2008 4:32 AM | Report abuse

There just when I thought I could sleep an entire night....

gwe, mrdr has a book of essays, the Best of Field and Stream - 100 Years of Great Writing. Through this book I became aquainted with 'The Compleat Angler'. I came across a perfectly preserved copy of The Compleat Angler a few months ago at my local ye olde used booke store, and it now also resides on the bathroom shelf. How could I have forgotten it.

In the time between my first post this evening, and now, I have taken a critical look at what is on my privy shelf (I am so rotating the Wordworth out) and what should be on a shelf up in the station. I'd vote to include a book of crossword puzzles.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 16, 2008 5:01 AM | Report abuse

Scc Wordsworth

Posted by: --dr-- | November 16, 2008 5:03 AM | Report abuse

Folks, folks, folks...

Cubage and mass are everything when heading to orbit, so it simply MUST be a Kindle hanging (floating?) on a chain in the ISS loo, with maybe an extra few GB of memory for the picture-intensive magazines.

Starting reading the home page item about the "church" off Leesburg Pike, then realized they forgot the key term: "cult." *SIGHHHHHH*

Cillizza has some cogent commentary as well...

Congrats to the Terpsichordians on their victory over N.C.! *goofy grin*

Big news in Iraq!!

*somewhat-more-caffeinated-and-a-little-more-upbeat-about-life-in-general-at-least-before-heading-out-for-a-jog Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 16, 2008 5:51 AM | Report abuse

Jack, the probablity of luxating patellas is higher than 33%.

You only get that 33% probablity when you have removed some of the siblings from the cohort.

My guess is that the dogs that you sold as pets and didn't test (for various reasons) have a fairly solid probablity of having at least one dog be positive for luxating patella.

Assuming a recessive model, then both parents are carriers, one might in fact have a double dose, but for other reasons only have a mild or undetected expression of luxating patella.

If so, I probably wouldn't repeat the exact same mating between the parents and mate at least one to a dog that hasn't had affected offspring yet.

If you exclude the affected sibs, then you are going to have a pool that's 2/3 risk of being carriers and 1/3 free of the gene. Thus, you might have affected puppies anyway. This is why recessives are so hard to cull from a pool without employing extreme inbreeding (not my favorite strategy), or without a genetic test.

Ideally, carriers of the luxating patella would have mild expression or other characteristics that may allow you to identify carrier risk without gene testing.

SD, luxating patella is a common tiny dog problem, it's when the kneecap is prone to slip.

Hips are never a problem for little dogs; it goes to the knee instead.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 16, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. I read some of the front page of WashPost, particularly the article talking about the summit. And what intrigued me in this piece was the comment made by the French prime minister, name beginning with an "S", I can't spell it. He asked the question, and it begins this way, the United States is still number one, but is it the only number one, and he answers the question, no it is not. I think I have that right. Anyway, perhaps some of you can read that and explain it to me? Was he being funny or serious? I did not get that.

The whole of the article seems to point out that these countries are serious about shoring up the financial economies of all the countries affected by this mess. And it seems they didn't say out loud that we're responsible for the mess, at least some of them did not.

And would someone explain to me why helping the Detroit automakers is such a no, no? I know these folks have brought a lot of their problems on themselves. They saw the handwriting on the wall about making those huge cars that guzzle gasoline, yet they didn't change their product. But do we really want that many people unemployed at one time? I mean isn't that the other side of the coin? That's a lot of people. They could probably raise their own army, and once family members join, we would have something to deal with. If my memory serves me correct, Detroit has gotten money from the government before because of the same thing. I guess if they're bailed out again, it needs to come with a guarantee?

Mudge, Slyness, Martooni, Scotty, hope the weekend is good, and good morning to all.*waving*

I want to go to church this morning, and I hope my friends here can do the same. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 16, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I know a biologist whose job is to help keep people and other living things alive and happy on the International Space Station. He complains that engineers just don't understand live critters.

He also is vastly impressed by the new Japanese module. Now that I've been in Japan for a few days, the country looks like a great place to build space stations. The toilets alone are wonderful. Mitsubishi even makes a hand drier that works.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 16, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle. And a pleasant Sunday morning to you, Cassandra.

28 degrees and windy in the high country this morning, with enough snow to cover the rooftops, cars, and lawns. So far the road is clear, from what I can see.

I read the story about the church in Loudoun. Cult sounds just about right, Snuke. When will we ever learn about these false prophets?

Today's major task will be keeping warm...

Posted by: slyness | November 16, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

I remember The Luxating Patellas. Sort of. Didn't they open for The Ramones at CBGB's back in '78? Or was that the Fluxating Panteras?

Wilbrod... liked your strung-together haikus in your 11:52. Have you ever tried the "tanka" form? (in case there are any New Englanders reading this, "tanka" is a Japanese poetic form and should not be confused with the type of truck that delivers home heating oil)

Looking at a cold wet day here. Well, I'm not actually looking at it because it's still dark outside. But my knees are knowing it. And now they're telling my back about it. Dang bones.

Anyway... I suppose I should get the coffee going and at least try to pretend that I don't really want to stay curled up in a nice warm bed all day with the blankets over my head.

Peace out :-)

Posted by: martooni | November 16, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

children cast from stars
take baby steps toward flight
first, potty training
no space for pampered kids, nor
disposable diapers

Posted by: Achaiku | November 16, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

dogs cast from the stars
belong to space, making space
belong, make it home

Posted by: Achaiku | November 16, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Morning, Boodle.

Off to the office to wrangle some big sharks who are willing to help us on the project -- set pricing strategy and such. Very good of them to give up their Sunday morning, and way fun to work with.

Have a great day everybody. Scotty, the snow has been falling all night down here, so think what it is in the mountains! Have hopes of an early-December opening at Sunshine and Lake Louise. Sunshine is my all-time favourite ski hill in Canada, must watch closely what they say about conditions.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Been thinking about Joel's Kit, will probably post something to that later. Decided to throw caution to the (cold) wind this morning by indulging in the extreme luxury of a hardcopy Sunday WaPo and a pot of coffee.

More later, I'm enjoying my morning.
I'll enjoy my afternoon, too, starting at the 1 PM kickoff. Still enjoying the Terps win last night, too.

Go get 'em, everybody.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all.

'tis a pleasantly blustery day around these parts. Which means that the leaves are coming. Oh yes. I can feel it.

But I shall think of such vexing thoughts no more.

Good luck with shark wrangling, Yoki. But be careful. I hear their skin is like sandpaper.

And did those of you who get the dead-tree WaPo check out the magazine? There's a nifty article on "The Onion." It contained the following quote from a member of the writing staff:

"Everything becomes fodder for humor. It's actually a terrible way to go through life."

So, Joel, you aren't the only one.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 16, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Mornin all
same weather report here too RD,maybe just a little colder.The leaves are pretty much in their place,although they do have a tendancy to blow back and forth on these windy days.

We just put the roast for tonight's dinner in the crock pot,seems funny telling my mom how I cook,but very nice working with her in the kitchen.She got a little teary eyed when I cut slices in the roast and put garlic in there.Her father,my sicilian Grandfather who I am named after, used to do that.we both looked to heaven and said Hey!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 16, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Boodlingskys!

Running late today as I couldn't get online. Grrr.

And it's cold outside. Brrr.

Wishing everyone a good Sunday.

Posted by: Braguine | November 16, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Morning all - grey and cold this morning with short squalls of rain, snow and ice pellets - might be a good day to have the first fire of the season.

Have the house to myself and am enjoying the solitude while I can - it will end soon. Had supper and then breakfast with former co-workers - love my family but it is fun to have some alone time every so often.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 16, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Blame the Irish in my coffee this morning, but I am SO in the mood for some Celtic-with-a-K toonage. Something jumpy and step-kicky with a pubbish feel.

Got a very very busy day in the shop lined up (though off to a late start) and don't know if I can make it until the 8:00pm airing of the "Thistle and Shamrock" show on the local radio. I do have a CD or two that might suffice, but I really need to find some fresher toons to accompany my sawing and sanding.

Any suggestions?

Posted by: martooni | November 16, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Martooni, try this (a really good band from Newfoundland) - Great Big Sea, strong modern celtic and traditional feel. Will definitely get your toes tapping.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 16, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

btw... Fiona Ritchie's voice just makes me melt (and she has excellent taste in toons, ta'boot).

Posted by: martooni | November 16, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Not bad, dmd... thanks! And U-toob didn't even crash my 'puter.

I'm really in the mood for some Ashley MacIsaac -- the mad fiddler from Scotland with a heavy metal backup band -- but can't find the CD now. Dang, dang, and drat.

Or maybe some Pogues.

Posted by: martooni | November 16, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually Ashley is from Cape Breton - (Port Hood?) - my MIL's home - music is a way of life there, like Newfoundland.

A different song - River Driver - haunting

Posted by: dmd2 | November 16, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Help! There are leaves all over the inside of my house! We can't keep 'em out. Am I going to have to actually find my broom? Yikes.

Yesterday's used-book sale netted us some fine books... among them an Italian cookbook from 1953, La Cucina, by Rose L. Sorce ("The Complete Italian Cookbook").

Wonderful, simple family recipes. To give you an idea of how nice and simple they are... the book is the size of a hardback novel and has easily 6 or 7 recipes on each spread. Just a few solid ingredients and simple instructions.

Here's one...

Eggs Catherine (Ouva alla Caterina)

2 T olive oil
3 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
1 onion chopped
1/2 can tomatoes, drained
1 tsp sugar

Heat oil, add onions and cook a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and sugar, and heat. When hot, break eggs gently into mixture so as not to break yolks. Cover and cook until eggs are set. Serve hot. Serves 3.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 16, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

TBG - you didn't accidentally invite one into your house did you? 'cause that's all they need.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 16, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

For those who are interested in such things, here are a picture of the Rev. Star Scott & his vibrant young wife:

and her at a Hot Rod Association event:

Posted by: bobsewell | November 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Really like that Great Big Sea group, dmd2, (and with a name like that...).

Shriek, I really liked Beyonce's dress. And yes, Timberlake was funny.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Now I'm wishing I hadn't lent (lended?) my Waterboys' "This is the Sea" CD to a girl 20-some years ago.

"Don't Bang the Drum"... a very excellent toon.

So was the title track.

Dangit... now I'm waxing nostalgic when I should be sawing and sanding.

Back to the freezer...

Posted by: martooni | November 16, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh, goodness -- I was about to chirp "good morning" but I looked at the clock first and it's heading towards 12:30 in the afternoon for goodness sakes.

I was at a wunnerful party last night for a dear friend's 60th. Got to see people I hadn't seen in ages and meet new ones, too. The food was fab, and the "cake" comprised 60 cupcakes from the Georgetown bakery which won the WaPo cupcake contest. I had one in chocolate, and it certainly passed my test, I'll tell ya.

The birthday girl reaped a whole lot of loot -- I gave her a CD chock full of ABBA tunes (which I knew she wanted) and the book One Hundred Years of Solitude. I wish I knew where I stashed my copy, so I could revisit it after 32 or so years.

So, after a night of tossing and turning and very little sleep, I've done two loads of laundry (and then a short nap), did some "book work" of entering stuff into my ledger after paying some bills yesterday and now I feel like taking another nap. I suppose I should make some lunch, and then water my plants and THEN fall asleep over the paper in the afternoon. Amazing how a Sunday with Sunday-stuff-to-do just overwhelms one, eh?

I'm really glad the cold front finally moved through. Yesterday's warm and humid was not on my good list for weather, you know?

Gonna go plug on. And may you all do the same. . . .

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 16, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Off to watch the ravens/Gmen ,perhaps Mudge we can help out the Skins this week by bringing the G-men back down to earth.Perhaps not,but it should be a good defensive struggle.I kept hearing about how we haven't beaten anyone with a winning record,but it aint like all these teams are chopped liver either.I at least hope 1 of you 3 bc,lit, mudge picked my boys this week.

Anyways I am out of here.

Go Ravens!!!!

Purple with envy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 16, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

I wrote something for the 10thcircle about the future of recycling toilets and a recent study into the cost-effectiveness of preventing human extinction.

A quote: "... I’ve counseled my children to reconsider their plans for law school in favor of a future in plumbing after getting a Bachelor’s in Information Technology, of course."

gwe, I'm sorry to tell you that I picked the Giants at home this week. I'd like the Ravens to win, but I don't see it happening.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

gwe, I'm sure I can speak for LiT, too: we both hope the Ravens win. But as for our picks...ah...er...um...

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

here's something funny

Just got back from brunch where they write the names of the teams that will play on the TV (five tvs) on tape, and stick the tape to the TV just below the screen

The bartender knows less about sports in general and football in particular than I know about ... well, we'll come back to that

for the big HD screen in the middle of the bar they're gonna put on the Eagles and Bengals game

but she had to ask Philadelphia? answer: Eagles
Cincinnati? Answer: Bengals

On the tape she wrote Eagles vs Bangles

Oh, how saddening it will be to learn that the Iggles were beat by Bangles ... Go Iggles go...

Meanwhile I thought I'd give a shot at that NFL Tiara:

saints
49ers
stealers
titans
washington

MNF bills

I promise to wear it proudly

Posted by: omnigood | November 16, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

wow, I can't believe it took me 20 minutes to type all that.

Posted by: omnigood | November 16, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the picks, omni.

Back to the Bunker bathroom reading material for a minute - did anyone mention any Natty Geo with columns or features by some cat named Achenbach?

I think we're going to need a wall of bookshelves in there, not the typical magazine basket.

Personally, I'd favor a laptop secured to a swingarm beside the recycling tecno-throne, so one can Boodle while, you know...

Talk about going green...

I imagine Mudge will save his reading of Krauthammer, Will, and Coulter for that special time.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Great Big Sea link, dmd. I love that group!

Joel's story yesterday made me smile. I seldom read by-lines, but two sentences in, I know that one was his.

Three boodles late, I have my Nerd/Geek/Dork ratio-- 70/30/43.

Computer issues multiply. The stupid external drive chose to only copy what was in My Documents, when I'm sure I copied the entire C drive. Ratzinfratzin thing! I told Raysdad that when we destroy/dispose of the old hard drive, I was to throw in that Western Digital POS as well.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 16, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

bc, Why Things Are makes good bathroom reading as well.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 16, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Martooni, tanka
For asking after poem skills;
I have tried five lines.
Yet when I muse by snowy trees,
Standing on three legs's my style.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 16, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I request a webcam-less laptop for the bunker's privy.

We had horizontal snow for a while; now it's coming down at a lesser angle. But it's not settling yet.

Football wise my alma mater's Rouge et Or was leading U. of Calgary 52-0 at the half. They don't have a mercy rule, so they were going to play the second half but I switched to the Ravens-Giants at that point.

The Lion's perfect season might be in trouble, they lead but there is still plenty of time to go.

The beef chuck is calling me, asking to become a braised Paleron au vin rouge. I shall oblige it.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 16, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey bc, your welcome... ha

Apparently I'm an idiot. I just found out I pick that the dolphins favoured over the raiders by the biggest margin this week.

But i also learn I only picked three underdogs. Oh well, we'll see how this goes.

Posted by: omnigood | November 16, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

can someone edit that second para. My SCC card is a little frayed.

Meanwhile I'm flipping back and forth between Iggles and Giants. Iggles are not looking good yet....

I have the sound and captioning off but for sound im listening to Ivete Sangalo, and dancing during commercials

Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yohwsN12WQU

I haven't deciphered the translation, but I think it is a kinky love song about a massage ... Heheha, just kidding...babel fish is so funny sometimes

Posted by: omnigood | November 16, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Ouch....but I had fun....sort of

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Raysmom, but I don't believe that WTA in magazine form.

And shriek, F1 Magazine's OK (I've loved Piola's technical illustrations since the early 80s), but I'm more of a Racecar Engineering kinda guy.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

So now we've got that weird half-a-game statistic in the NFC East.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 16, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

TBG, the way the Eagles are playing these days, I don't think it's going to matter much. They'll be that much further out of the playoffs.

I'm diggin' the snow on the field at Pittsburgh.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, sports fans (Yoki, you and other knitters can place your hands over your eyes), it's been a grim afternoon so far in the Race for the Tiara. With 10 games out of 16 in the can, I'm in the lead, 7-2 (the Philly game is kicked out), LiT and bc are 6-3, and omni is 5-3.

However, three out of the final six gamnes have variable outcomes that could topple the standings. We'll know two of those games by 8 p.m.-- and then it'll all come down to the Redskins game, with two picks on each side, and we may not know who wins this week's tiara until midnight.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Made this comment yesterday but it wasn't published, I will try to recapture my witty words.
'I was going to rip into you for "misusing" my favorite SAT word "transmogrify" but I went to the dictionary first and found it can mean simply to change, even though its normal use is to refer to the process in which something good is changed to something ugly or horrible. If THAT was your intended use, then I think you got it backward, so to speak, when referring to the change FROM urine to potable water. More correct the other way around, but not really the right word either way. Transformed would have done nicely. "
If this gets published, I will share with you the "rest" of my story.

Posted by: tcarr2 | November 16, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Dag, I got my hair cut so it would show off the tiara, too.

Well, we'll see, right?

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

dog sees trees, muses
how can a mutt make a mark
on this cruel world?
lets loose streams de bonne pisses
et très drôle mots, amuses

Posted by: Achaiku | November 16, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

oh well bc, the eye candy is unbeatable in F1 Mag. Even Witch no 1 and 2 casually peruse the mag when I leave it lying around. Nico, Adrian and Fernando are quite popular with that crowd. Robert, not so much.

The R&O finally won 59 -10. Calgary can claim they won the second half 10-7. And the kids behave, mostly, something nice to see in such a lopsided game.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 16, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

WOW, it got published.I must have hit the wrong button. Here is the rest of my story. I worked on the same potable water recovery mission for NASA in 1966 when I was a summer intern at NASA Langley AFB. We were working on the Manned Orbital Research Laboratory project with General Dynamics Convair, out of San Diego. I was the "young" Chemistry Advisor to the project in charge of testing the end product, so to speak. We successfully converted urine and all other bodily fluids to potable water THEN, and yes, we drank it but could never prove to the medical types it was safe, even though most of us are still alive and none had any ill effects from the experience that that I know of, except that I switched to from chemistry to law. Good luck Houston.

Posted by: tcarr2 | November 16, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

With the rigorous control over handgun this country is famous for the criminal element has to be creative.
"Four people were taken to hospital during the weekend after being attacked by a gang of youths armed with a meat tenderizer, Toronto police said Sunday."

Now please give a well deserved rest to the meat pounding jokes. That monkey has been beaten to death.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 16, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

tcarr2... that is a great story! Sounds like good cocktail party fodder... "yes... I HAVE drunk my own urine, thank you very much."

Reminds me of how med students learn to taste urine... stick in the middle finger but lick the ring finger. Looks very convincing.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 16, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

5-3 and I've never done this before

Give me a novice Tiara at least

Posted by: omnigood | November 16, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

tcarr2, to your point, isn't "transmogrify" a term typically associated with biological/physiological change rather than chemical?

I would suggest that the word may have been used for humorous purposes, as is the line about a delivery truck taking water into orbit. After all, the article *is* about high-tech space toilets that recycle urine and other liquid human waste into drinking water, which some would consider an amusing topic to begin with.

But, that's just me.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think both of tcarr2's posts were of humorous intent, as well, and they caused a smile or two chez Yoki.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Transmogrify will forever be connected to Calivin & Hobbes to me.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 16, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

This Pittsburgh game is wacky!

Posted by: -TBG- | November 16, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Shriek... what about asphyxiating chicken comments?

Posted by: martooni | November 16, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

here you go, bc --

'Meh': Apathetic Expression Enters Dictionary

Posted by: nellie4 | November 16, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

it helps if one posts the reference ---

Posted by: nellie4 | November 16, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Evening all
I just asked my mom what her favorite song was. she said "begin to beguine" was her and my dad's favorite song.I pulled it up on you tube and she was amazed that i could do that.

So now we are listening to all sorts of stuff.

Technology is amazing you know!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 16, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Yoki. You are correct and I am pleased to have entertained the House of Yoki this evening.

Posted by: tcarr2 | November 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Terrific interview with Obama and Michelle on 60 Minutes.

Anything else good on TV tonight?

OK, just kidding, just kidding.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Gnome sorting laundry
Found my hidden rawhide bone
Tucked neatly inside
A bedsheet, ready to wash.
No dirty bones for me, thanks.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 16, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, tcarr2, you worked on MOL?

I think there was a lot of really advanced technology that the Air Force and, er, some of the intelligence agencies were developing for that program.

But then, I suppose there were a lot of special requirements for flying a manned orbital spy satellite, er, I mean surveillance platform.

I always thought the proposed Rogallo wing recovery system for MOL Gemini capsules to make ground-based landings at the dry lakes around Edwards AFB under control of the capsule's pilot was a pretty interesting idea. Makes sense -- wouldn't want film and other intelligence data landing in the middle of an ocean if you can help it.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree completely, Mudge. I gotta tell ya -- that guy's got some great smile. The cockles of my heart did a little dance every time he beamed.

It's gonna be such a delight to have them lead the country.

And, Shriek -- the Lions did us proud again today and are running headlong into the perfect season of which we know they are capable (*sigh*).

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 16, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree, ftb... that smile, that attitude... that way he actually seems to know what he's talking about.

And that promise to rebuild our country's "moral stature in the world."

Posted by: -TBG- | November 16, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL, that's my mother's favourite song too, gwe, and pretty sexy it is, too. Who knew that older women were so, um, lusty?

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Yoki
That's pretty neat,small world eh?
I don't think of my mom as um, lusty,but it is kind of funny too.

And thanks for this cold blast of canadian air we are having down here in west by god.Quite refreshing it is,i owe you one ok.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 16, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

tcarr2 -- very good story, winning the kit-connect award for the day.

Gwe -- darling story about your mom. We had a Mario Lanza recording of B the B, which my parents really liked. I heard a Johnny Mathis disco version of this, really!

Cole Porter is my favorite composer of that stuff. My favorite song of his*, though, was one my dad sang when we headed off to the mountains: Mostly, Yoki, north toward Glacier and Canada.

* "Don't Fence Me In" was based on a narrative poem by an engineer with the Department of Highways in Helena, Montana, Robert (Bob) Fletcher.

DON'T FENCE ME IN

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above, Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love, Don't fence me in
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please, Don't fence me in

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies
On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder
Till I see the mountains rise

I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
And I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences
Don't fence me in

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies, Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love, Don't fence me in
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please, Don't fence me in

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies
On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder
Till I see the mountains rise

I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
And I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences
Don't fence me in, no
Pop, oh don't you fence me in

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 16, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

CP, so nice to see you! Are you well? I know you're busy.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Wankers. Three of the worst calls I've ever seen. (Referring to football, here, Yoki.)

But yes, CP, how are you? Hop down from your Cayuse and let us know how to am.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

SCC: how you am.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Leaves and grading papers and a chilly dark sudden weather that makes me want to nap!

I had some connectivity problems that involved a squirrel nibbling on some wires.

Thought of Ivansmom today because at Mass this AM, visitors behind me sang in loud and perfect and bold harmony. The singing was so fine as to be Welshlike or Lutheran. (Catholics tend not to sing, and if so, insipidly; besides the "Newish" songs are mostly ridiculous.) And, I thought suddenly in a boodleflash of Ivansmom....hope to sing some fine hymnn with her someday.

BC, GWE, Kimsspouse -- because the Tersichorean Valiants WON, Mr.Ralph Friedgen remained through the end of Mass, staying to eat a donut and accept bold, admiring comments on the footballers. Loss days? Coach leaves after communion and rides a golf cart back to the football house to review films. And yes, BC, the "Fridge" does not need the donut very much.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

you, ma'am, are a master stylist. I always know within a half-phrase that here is our allusive and trustful CP. A privilege.

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

CP, could it be that Friedgen's skipping the donut and going to work after communion on the day after a Terp football loss might be a form of penance?

I'm sorry I was right about picking Washington over Dallas this evening. Some very predictable and occasionally odd playcalling by Coach Zorn this evening...

Wish I could give it a "Meh," but for me, it's a "Feh!"

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

This from today's Boston Globe...

I recently took a group of international students to Boston Common. One student, who was leaving the following day, suggested a group picture. As the rest of us huddled together, she sought out an ad hoc photographer. Finding no takers, she had resigned herself to the task when a man rushed over. "Don't you want to be in the picture?" he asked. Delighted by the display of genuine courtesy, I found myself saying somewhat smugly, "See, guys! Don't let me hear you say anymore that Americans are unfriendly!" The kindhearted gentleman then politely said, "Actually, I'm Canadian."

Darrell Penta

Belmont

Posted by: rickoshea0 | November 16, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

*snort*

Good night Boodle. Send me some Boodle MOJO tomorrow, too. Massive project between 6:00 and 9:00, meeting prep between 9:00 and 12:00, and then video-conference (in which I get to grill the practice group leaders about their 2009 plans, way challenging and fun!] as I sit as the newest [officio though some would say officious] member of the National Strategic Initiatives Committee and the only non-lawyer ever invited to take such a position! Yay, Yoki!), from noon til we're done (I imagine 20:00-ish).

Posted by: Yoki | November 16, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Yoki!

Glad to hear the shark wrangling went well - do you have bigger fish to fry now?

I'll be over here, wailing, gnashing my teeth, and rending my clothes over the Washington loss.

Might save some time if I rend my clothes with my teeth. You know, speed up the whole gnashty business...

Plus, I could use the exercise and the contortionism is a helpful for stretching.

G'night, Boodle.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, meant to add:
Yoki -- consider Boodle mojo heading your way. Good luck tomorrow!

SCC: "a helpful" ...

Oy, me.

Posted by: -bc- | November 16, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks bc! I do indeed have great whites to fry now. And I'm up to the task, I do believe.

I already know that's football, thanks to 'mudge! Not so sure knashing and rending is strictly called-for only half-way through the season. More a sort of slow deflation of mood rapidly followed by unreasonable optimism.

Posted by: Yoki | November 17, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Check out this video. Peter Shiff comes out sounding like a genius Cassandra. He called everything about the current financial crisis.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 17, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

So, unpoetically and specifically nonhaikuishly, where have all the flowers gone?

Oh.

Posted by: Nebreklaw01 | November 17, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

sending more mojo up north to Yoki-land

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 17, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Schiff in case you want to Google him.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 17, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Yello, just got through watching the Peter Schiff video. Not only did he hit it squarely on the mark, he did it despite the snickers, ridicule, and confident optimism of those other bozos, including the especially laughable Arthur Laffer--the Reagan economic advisor, author of the notoriously wrong Laffer curve, and a supporter of Bushonomics.

Posted by: Nebreklaw01 | November 17, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Winter, man. Now is the winter of our discontent...

Dang, sorry-- poetry is pretty tough to avoid around here, especially when you refer to a famous anti-war song.

Yello, um, transcripts would be helpful, I think.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 17, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

As regards being a genius, the only genius part is actually working in finance.

Anybody with half a brain could have seen the insanity in mortagage and credit industry and predicted disaster. The Washington Post in fact ran a story predicting the housing bubble would inevitably collapse.

The credit card sector? Credit fraud; identity theft, predatory rates. The thing with criminal activity, even if unprosecuted is that eventually victims run out and/or the predators find themselves targeted by even bigger predators.

It's what I call the taoistic POV. However, it is a relief that this inevitable crisis came on Bush's watch.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 17, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, TBG. The only question remaining is whether there's tuna fish for lunch.

Yoki, mojo, etc., coming your way.

This is going to sound funny coming from someone who lives on the web, but I really dislike LinkedIn. I've received 2 invitations in the past week, both to my home e-mail address, which LinkedIn won't recognize and can't be bothered to investigate. Not that I want to accept anyway!

I'm far happier with my imaginary friends here than with the 291,507 "friends" through my LinkedIn associations.

Posted by: -dbG- | November 17, 2008 3:03 AM | Report abuse

*mondo mojo motorin' towards Yoki*

An interesting football day... Rather unsatisfactory, but interesting nonetheless.

Welcome tcarr!!

NukeSpawn was looking for a "Current Events" article for her science class, so guess which WaPo article I suggested? *silly grins*

*off-to-the-kitchen-to-start-the-crockpot-before-bundling-up-for-Dawn-Patrol-duty Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 17, 2008 4:52 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. GM's rescue seems to be in the mind of every single commentator this morning. To bankrupt or not to bankrupt, that is the question.
The canyons are burning in LA, it makes for good TV and worried millionnaires.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 17, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle, Scotty.

*faxing two gallons of finest homemade chunky-style Maryland Blue Crab-infused mojo across state lines as well as an international border to The Contessa of Calgary*

Otherwise, yes, it is Redskins gloomy here this morning. And the weatherman dropped the S-word for tomorrow. That's all I need: a visit from George Bush AND snow flurries. Can boils and ptomaine be far behind? Sheesh.

Later.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 17, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Yoki sending MoJo your way - Good Luck.

Light dusting of snow here this morning, last of the flowers soon to perish.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 17, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

My apologies, Wilbrod, but whoever compiled the clips did not provide a transcript. Here is a WaPo editorial he wrote that gives a hint of his general outlook.

In these clips he he is reviled for predicting that the sub-prime mortgage market debt problems will spread into other securitized markets such as student loans, auto loans, and consumer debt causing a major recession.

Meanwhile, the other guests on the shows are touting such bargain buys as Merrill Lynch, Bear Stearns and Washington Mutual. He calls all the financial stocks "toxic" and warns everybody away from them.

Coupled with his recent pro-ID movie, I have lost all repect for Ben Stein in particular.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 17, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Yoki,
I've got mojo to spare since my boss sent me to take his place at a massive resort in the California desert where the high was 90 yesterday. All I have to do for two days is listen to boring seminars, eat free food and hand out business cards. So take all you need.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 17, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Part of the problem of business travel is that I go to bed on Pacific time but still wake up on Eastern time. It's a good thing that mega-resort's fitness center opens at 5 am. Off I go. I'll catch up with the West Coast Dawn Patrol (just like the West Coast Avengers, but much jauntier looking) later.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 17, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Happy cold Monday morning, all!

It's a chilly 29 degrees with snow in the forecast in the high country. Ski slope operators have been making the stuff since Saturday and expect to open later in the week.

Since I'm supposedly on vacation, you may have all my mojo, Yoki. I'll be thinking about you and hoping for wild success for you all day!

I *do* need to have the chat with Mr. T. As long as I'm cooking and doing dishes and laundry, I'm not on *vacation.* I've just had a change in venue.

Posted by: slyness | November 17, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

West Coast Avengers??

John Steed drinking a wheat grass smoothie?

Emma Peel in a nanokini, on roller skates?

The mind boggles...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 17, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Delivered with the paper today was an 800 lb tin of mojo. Will fax portions of this most excellent and sufficient mojo today but have cued up the fax with seven large portions that should cover the morning, Yoki. Be careful with scent that carries cloying camellia undernotes. Sharks will turn and snap at that odor.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 17, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: -dbG- | November 17, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Ah, Yoki, we have the Canadian Screamer in my neck of the woods. Got to love the stuff from Canada. And I don't know about the mojo, but you know blessings abound with prayers, I will send them your way.

Yello, thanks for the link. And yes, Slyness, work in any space is still work, not a vacation. I'll bet the snow is lovely.

Mudge, I had to laugh at your comparison of snow and Bush, together in one day. You know you're a vacation, not a trip. I missed 60 Minutes last night. Head rolled on the pillow, and the televison was watching me. Redskins looking a bit sad. All is not lost, is it?

More bad news, my neighbor passed yesterday morning. The elderly lady that lived across from me. I went to visit her Saturday afternoon. She lived a full life. She was 95 years young. She took her trash can out every Monday, and brought it back in after the trash pick up. And it was bigger than her.

It is cold here, but sunny. Busy week ahead. Wrap up if it's cold where you are, and keep warm.

Martooni, Scotty, good morning and that to all.*waving*

CP, good to hear from you. Ah, the singing. I try, but, alas, it is not good, even in the shower.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 17, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

"Head rolled on the pillow, and the televison was watching me."

Lol, Cassandra. Love that phrasing.

Enjoy your day and turn off those peeping toms before you go to bed next time.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 17, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the award bc, although I don't know what it means. As to working on MOL, yep, I was there, summer of '66, kinda like being at Woodstock, only '66 instead of '69. Once in a lifetime type thing. Yes, MOL had some very fancy bells and whistles, and plans, but then if I told you etc.. It literally never got off the ground though, at least not as MOL, not due the water recovery problem, but politics; the "mission" was transmogrified and given to another agency and now they call it Skylab, and they STILL have a water recovery problem. I wonder where all of that prototype hardware wound up? It was really "neat" in the jargon of the day. Tcarr2

Posted by: tcarr2 | November 17, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse