Party Like It's 1989

IMG_4304.jpg

They're going crazy on the streets of Washington: The mood is so ecstatic, the celebrations so spontaneous, that it brings to mind what we saw on TV during the fall of the Berlin Wall. I'm not saying that the election of Barack Obama equates to the end of the Cold War, but certainly tonight some kind of wall came tumbling down.

People are screaming for joy, honking horns, banging pots against light poles, and dancing up a storm. Not the Republicans, perhaps -- they are presumably off with a stiff drink somewhere, trying to figure out how to reconstruct their damaged party.

I've never seen such spontaneous revelry in the capital. I was in Adams Morgan at 11 p.m. when CNN called the election for Obama; instantly people were running along 18th street, shouting and carrying on. I went to 14th and U where maybe a thousand people had gathered to sing, dance, cheer, bellow. Police eventually blocked access to the intersection. Supposedly there are another thousand people across from the White House, and more jamming Connecticut Ave. near Dupont Circle.

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

[Photos by J.A.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 5, 2008; 12:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dead Man Voting
Next: All-Night Party at the White House

Comments

It is a great day to be an American....a Great day for America!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 5, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

This is a night to remember. At the McLean Hilton, where Virginia Democrats were gathered, the governor and our two Democratic senators came up on the stage to the song, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" to announce that Virginia had been called for Obama. It wasn't long before the networks called the election. It was a great place to be at that moment, realizing Virginia had pulled through.

All of our hard, hard work has paid off. Haven't had time to backboodle, but I just wanted to say...

Yes we did!

Posted by: -TBG- | November 5, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Amen to that gwe... a great day for America!

Posted by: -TBG- | November 5, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Great scoop! Love the pics,especially the first one.

... I'm SO glad it wasn't of Gene W topless.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a wonderful time and place to be tbg......

Now who is in for an inauguration road trip?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 5, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

the l.a. times reports that l.a. county broke a record: more than 82% voted. that's a lot.

Posted by: LALurker | November 5, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

The senatorial race in Minnesota is not over yet.

Al Franken is trailing by less than 800 votes at this moment out of over 2 million total cast.

It may take a few days to be sure who has won.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Woo Hoo! I'm feeling proud do be an American. It's been a while.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | November 5, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

GWE - an inauguration road trip would be an excellent adventure. Know where we can get tickets to the thing? Ha!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | November 5, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, you all !! What a historical moment.

Posted by: rainforest1 | November 5, 2008 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the photos from the hippest corner of Washington!

I need to finally get to sleep and perhaps, after dealing with some necessary problems at work, go home and get ready for vacation.

Sunday will be a nice day to be an American tourist in Tokyo. Chrysanthemum festival? Edo-Tokyo Museum?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 5, 2008 4:12 AM | Report abuse

I was having nightmares. I woke up and the bad dreams were gone. Just like that!

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 5, 2008 4:58 AM | Report abuse

Except in Georgia, where it seems they just won't be counting the early votes - too much trouble, apparently - so they are just going to notify the press -without counting the 1/3 of the votes that were early voting - that the republican Senator won.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 5, 2008 5:23 AM | Report abuse

Friends, as Slyness said, We. Did. It. We did it! It is a great day for America. I never thought I would see this day. America is my home, and my prayers, love, and everything is for America. May God bless us much in this endeavor. Bless the new President, and bless Americans everywhere.

I'm sorry I could not get back last night. I went to church, and was so tired when I got back. I tried to look at the election results, but fell asleep.

We have an opportunity here, a great opportunity to turn our country around. The operative word being "we". A lot of people of every color, denomination, creed, whatever, worked for Obama, and it was all good. Thank you, America.

Scotty, Mudge, Martooni, Slyness, and everyone, good morning.*waving*

Today is Wednesday, the busy day, but a good day. Have a great day, folks. It is rainy and cold here, at least it was last night, but suppose to clear up at some point today. I need sunshine, but my plants need the water.

I tell you I can hardly believe it. It is all so new, and to think, God has allowed me to see this event. Thank you, God.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 5, 2008 5:59 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. A glorious morning. Indiana finally went blue--amazing. Montana stayed red, and North Carolina and Missouri are still out -- so it's possible the results could turn from "substantial" to "whupping."

It's surprisingly difficult to find results across the country, and I can't locate any reliable electoral map.

OK, gotta run.I have a theory about the last three weeks of the campaign, which I'll expound upon after I get to work.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 5, 2008 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Great picture, Joel. Truly captured the moment.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

I hope that with Barack at the helm of the economy that guy in the picture will be able to afford a smaller belt.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Congrats you all Murricans. Job well done, glad to see the bums thrown out. I watched it on TV as the 'puter was requisitioned for serious work by Witch no.2.
The guys over at at 538 got it amazingly right. The little blue spikes didn't lie.

Warm foggy morning here. Good Halloween weather but the visibility and ceiling are low. Instrument flying again for the DP.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 5, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, I'm just taking it all in. Obama is ahead in NC, although it's close - less than 11,000 votes out of 4.2 million cast. Amazing.

I am so proud of us all.

A great day, wouldn't you say, Cassandra?

I'll run over to the bunker this afternoon. It really was an orderly party, considering how much fun we were having. But I'm sure I'll need to sweep and put the clean dishes away. We only had to run the dishwasher twice.

Posted by: slyness | November 5, 2008 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Yes! Feeling good and positive about our government will take some getting used to as it’s been such a very long time. I will finally allow “S” to attach a flag to our house. I refused to do that while Bush was in power. Loved Obama’s speech last night. I know we, as a country, have huge problems but having a new, more positive attitude towards them and towards ourselves will, I hope, give us the push we need to become a more perfect union.

Tired but very very very happy today!

Posted by: badsneakers | November 5, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Morning all; like many here, once the speech was ovr I simply had to take little poodle-allergy-light doglet to the path. There, of course, we people and pooches in the similar situation.

Doggies were extra happy and animated, because they could tell that sumsum was up, verrry up.

Returned home to two children on facebook high fiving everybody. So they live boodled and I marveled at this.

Yes, MT went red but with enough blue to be noted.

I wondered to about some cummerbund aspect to Michelle's dress. More on that when I consult with my costume/material culture peeps. Yoki is right, though: Michelle manages this naturally: The clothes are for me; I am not for the clothes. They must move with me, fluidly. I am busy and confident; at any moment I might sprint or execute a layup. That women would move thusly in their clothes is a kind of liberation. Good job, Michelle: athlete, scholar, mother, wife.....doggy mom-to-be.

The yellow-green that Mrs. Biden wore was strangely successful. Mrs. B is a fabulous teacher of English at a Delaware Jr. college. So, I have a powerful colleague coming to town.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 5, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

'tis amazing grace
for a new path has been found
our country once blind
is now unafraid to see
the hope that was meant to be

Posted by: Achaiku | November 5, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

*typing slowly and carefully with barely open eyes and tired fingers*

Whadda night. The New England House contingent is Blue, whooda thunkit?

Two wonderful speeches that essentially said, "Let's stand shoulder to shoulder and get to work."

And again, I'm not gonna quote Gerald Ford, but man would it fit...

*safe-at-the-office-after-a-Frederick-Urbana-Rockville-kind-of-Dawn-Patrol-sortie-and-expecting-to-dent-the-desk-with-my-forehead-pretty-soon Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 5, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Catholic vote analysis by Jesuit Thomas Reese here:

This tidbit saddens me:

BEGIN QUOTE
A closer look at the exit polls should be as discouraging for left-wing Catholics as for right-wing Catholics. Catholic voters did not embrace either the conservative non-negotiables or the church's preferential option for the poor. They were concerned about themselves and their families. END QUOTE

However, my goodness, how can the "preferential option for the poor" be leftist? 'Tis simply the distillation of Jesus' stance....ah. yes.. and left it is. "Radical" means root....good old leftie (plastic is out) Jesus.

Off to the day. Shall report on the student's view of today later.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 5, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

President-Elect Obama has a tough road ahead of him for sure. Lots of hard choices coming, and I hope he gets the support he needs to make them.

But those battles are yet to come. Right now I am sitting here with a 20 ounce cup of steaming morning energy trying not to look smug.

I think that ScottyNuke is right. Ford's words about "our long national nightmare being over" certainly ring true.

But you know what today really feels like for me? It feels like I am finally living in The Future.

I feel like the 21st century has finally begun.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 5, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

If the Obamas aren't dog persons, why should they have a pet to accessorize the White House? Don't repeat the Buddy mistake. The Ancient Old Lab's cousin was a lot more comfortable with his SS handler than with any of the Clintons.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 5, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' everybody...

I feel like something the cat drug in after being up so late, but that won't stop me from relishing this morning. Coffee fixes everything.

We didn't have dancing in the streets here last night (at least none in my neighborhood), but I'm sure there will be some kind of celebration today or this weekend.

Obama's speech last night really moved me. He brought out feelings I haven't had in too long of a time -- hope, confidence, pride. For the first time in I don't know how long I feel not only optimistic, but confident that my optimism isn't misplaced or unfounded.

I'm also very proud of my state. Ohio finally saw the light and came through spectactularly and I'm proud to have played my small part.

Peace out :-)

Posted by: martooni | November 5, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

good morning mr. joel and all the fine members of the boodle.

truly, a new day has dawned here. when president obama--i love writing those words--said last night, "we, as a people, will get there" he connected us all to the dreams of dr. king. and i could feel the anger i've struggled with for so many years start to float away. let the healing of our great nation begin.

this morning my flag will fly with renewed meaning.

my very best to all of you.

Posted by: butlerguy | November 5, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm verklempt, and on my way out the door for a few days. Trying to hide my big smile from the very Republican friends/family I'm heading into.

Only on the Boodle: back to the dogs! :-)shrieking, it sounded like at least half the family is very much in favor of the dog. I've seen non-dog parents become great owners because of their kids' enthusiasm, so I'm hopeful.

Can you see the t-shirt? "My dad got elected president and all I got was this puppy."

Posted by: -dbG- | November 5, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be reallllyy cool if they got one from a shelter or rescue?

Posted by: -dbG- | November 5, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Boodle!

It was an honour to spend last night with you.

During Obama's speech Himself, #2 and I were all in tears, and on Skype it looked suspiciously as though #1 was, as well.

The thing that really struck me was Obama's call on America to work and sacrifice. No more shopping, but the heavy lifting that is possible because it is shared. So wonderful. Such a contrast!

The snow continues, it is a beautiful morning.

Enjoy your days, keep the celebratory spirit alive!

Posted by: Yoki | November 5, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Reporting from the school hallway.

All my fellow Obama-supporting teachers have stopped by and we all hug and dance and weep. The students are not any different. The hugging, high-fiving, grinning is contagious.

Of course, there are some kids making ugly comments and talking about how mad they are. I predict a fight or two in the lunchroom. Hopefully not, but kids are kids.

It is great to see these kids excited.

I hope the excitement is enough to keep me from crashing halfway through my day. With about seven hours of sleep in the last two days, I shouldn't even be driving. But, school must go on.

Posted by: abeac1 | November 5, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I slept through almost all the election returns last night after collapsing at 8pm from pure exhaustion (loooong day yesterday), but I am having a great morning now!!! GOBAMA! I'm ready to work to restore this great nation!!

Posted by: schala1 | November 5, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

True dbG, I see the girls picking a goofy long-haired mutt of dubious lineage at the shelter...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 5, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Shriek, why do you think they'd run into Martooni at the shelter? KIDDING, I'm kidding of course!!! :-)

a bea c, it seems many of those angry kids are providing comments on WaPo articles... *SIGH* BOTH speech transcripts should be posted prominently in public places, I'd say.

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 5, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Nice work guys. Nice work.

I watched between other things. Very interesting and though I missed The President-Elects speech and Senator MCcain's, I have to say the parts I saw of both on the tv this a.m. were fantastic.

That was the classiest concession speech I've ever seen.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 5, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, a bea c. Lots of energy in our building, too. An estimated 64% of the eligible electorate voted yesterday. The demographic is amazing: President-elect Obama fared better than Kerry in all demographic groups, excepting those over 65. How American is that?

Posted by: -jack- | November 5, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Minni Star-Tribune sees ongoing struggle for Franken-Coleman:

"Sen. Norm Coleman is leading Democratic challenger Al Franken in one of the most bitter U.S. Senate races in Minnesota history.
With 99 percent of the 4,130 precincts reporting, Coleman maintains an unofficial margin of less than 800 votes out of nearly 2.9 million cast, almost assuring that there will be a recount. Required in races with a winning margin of less than one half of 1 percent, the recount could delay a final result for days while ballots are retabulated across the state."

And... *SIGH*

"Bachmann held on to a narrow but significant lead over Tinklenberg with 8 of 10 precincts reporting and a dwindling number of areas where he could find enough votes to make up the difference. Bachmann said Tinklenberg called her and conceded shortly after midnight.
Bachmann credited her victory to her vote against the $700 billion financial rescue package and her campaign to open up restricted areas for oil drilling to bring down the price of gasoline."

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 5, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Grand morning Boodle!

Never in history so many people around the world watched a US election and celebrated as if it was their own victory.

The shameful Bush years are almost over.

Posted by: Braguine | November 5, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

McCain's speech was very gracious. It made me wonder where this guy had been hiding. I can't help but imagine that, deep down, he is seething at the so-called political experts who foisted upon him a Rove-style negative campaign and encouraged him to go with Palin. Not to mention burning anger at Bush for past sins as well as the creation of an environment where it was nearly impossible to win. Let's hope that his words of conciliation are heard.

Obama's speech was beautiful as well, but he looked so very tired. Given the loss of his grandmother, the brutal pace of this campaign, and the tremendous challenges that await him, I think he needs to take a few days off to just chill. I think he's earned it.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 5, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

scotty... I know you were kidding, but how true. ;-)

~~~~~~~:-)>>>>>> <- that's how I look in ascii

Posted by: martooni | November 5, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

RDP
If McCain follows through with his speech and assumes a position of leadership, he will prove to be a great man.

Posted by: Braguine | November 5, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

National Holiday declared in Kenya.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 5, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Looks like someone OTHER than Nixon COULD have gone to China, after all.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 5, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

good morning boodle! The last 10 precincts to be counted in MN are in and Coleman leads by a couple thousand. Mandatory recount means we won't have an official winner declared for a while. Not looking good for Franken though.

Just checked the Sec'y of State's web site and unofficially I carried our fair city with 88% of the vote. Three write-ins against me again this year. Who are these people and what do they want? I wish they'd at least let me know what we're doing/not doing that bothers them. Though my guess is the 30% increase in city property taxes two years in a row has something to do with it. However, I told them when I ran the first time we'd have to raise taxes. (Note-the city portion of a tax bill is very low. Taxes on a half million in property went up $60.)

Michelle Bachmann has the "Anderson Effect" to thank for her win. I didn't coin the term, but agree that when Minnesotans don't know the candidates very well they vote for the one named Anderson. Thus the Independence Party candidate who barely campaigned, and did not have the endorsement of his own party, gets 10% of the vote. El Tinklenberg says after two tries he's not running again (he failed to win the dem nomination in '06).

Don't know if I have a new spring in my step today because I haven't been out the door yet, but coffee tastes better and the cats are snugglier. Even bet if I get on the scale I'll be pleased. Chez Frostbitten votes shelter dog for the Obama girls.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Yes, my wife thought Obama looked tired, too. And we've already forgotten that he has to fly to Hawaii for his grandmother's funeral service. (It would be nice if Bush loaned him Air Force One for that trip, given the security that now has to accompany him and his family.)

Padouk, I have a theory about "where the gracious McCain was" during the last couple of weeks. My theory is that he and his staff looked at the numbers, and saw that if they maintained course, they were certainly going to lose. So, having no other option (as they saw it), McCain allowed them to go super-negative as a last-ditch all-or-nothing maneuver. And in fact I think this did indeed cut Obama's 8-,9- or 10-point lead down to the 5-point win it became. So it was a sleazy, low-blow kamikaze charge, and it ultimately failed.

I am even more convinced this is what happened in NC with Libby Dole launching that despicable "Godless" ad at Hagen. (What's the metaphorical opposite of a "Hail, Mary" pass? A "Hail, Lucifer" pass?)

So now, I'm not giving McCain one single inch of respect for his gracious concession speech, having lost in the final round with a punch below the belt that failed to land.

(Sorry for all the sports metaphors, CP. I don't know enough sophisticated knitting metaphors to explain it. Is there such a thing as a suicidal, last-ditch, below-the-belt purl one, knit two? A below-the-hem cross-stitch? A horse-collar tackle of the bodice? I'm lost here.)

It appears Obama is leading in NC by about 12,000 votes with 100% counted; I don't know why they don't call it. (I just want them to, because then it would put him at 364 electoral votes, and I had predicted three or four days ago he might hit the 360 mark.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 5, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, frostbitten!

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 5, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I stand corrected, still 1 precinct unreported and Coleman's margin of victory under 1,000.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I might note that Obama is loosing in Missouri by about 6,000 votes...and that *&^%$#@&^%$ Ralph Nader got 17,000 votes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 5, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Jumper.

Woo hooo, Glenn Nye beat Thelma Drake in VA's 2nd. Kim!!!!!!!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

*faxin' 'Mudge a dozen gross o' Philly pretzels to distract him from the fine details of an overwhelming win*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 5, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Americans abroad no longer need to hide. Here's a view from Hong Kong.

Posted by: Braguine | November 5, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Mudge - Sometimes those 3rd party votes can hurt your (our) guy, but sometimes they help. Looks like Barr got almost 30,000 votes in IN, more than the margin between Obama & McCain.

Posted by: astromom | November 5, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I hope everyone keeps following the Georgia results where the early votes appear not to have yet been tabulated. Obama could theoretically take the state, and more importantly, the Dems could pick up a seat in the US Senate. They may be throwing out early votes even now, if commas, periods, misprints on voter rolls don't match up exactly. In other words, skulduggery may be occuring even now.

Hope this and the other three US senate recounts which may be occurring are run with total fairness.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 5, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Scotty. But instead of faxing them, why not bring them to the BPH tonight? (There, that put you in a fix, didn't it? Heh heh heh.)

I have often boodled about Bobby Kennedy, and how I was signed up to work for him in 1968 after I'd seen him give a speech at the Palestra in Philly, and how my "ex" was on the funeral train, and that I'd almost been on it, too.

A fellow Boodler came across this quote. I suggested she post it here. She said that since I was the RFK person around here, I should do it. So thanks to her, and here it is:

"Things are moving so fast in race relations a Negro could be President in 40 years. There's no question about it. In the next 40 years a Negro can achieve the same position that my brother has. Prejudice exists and probably will continue to. But we have tried to make progress and we are making progress.
We are not going to accept the status quo."

---Robert Kennedy, 1968, quoted in the Washington Post, May 27, 1968

Bobby said this 53 days after Martin Luther King was shot, and just 9 days before he himself was shot and killed.

So for many of you, Obama's victory was the culmination of a two-year campaign, and the end of eight years of Bush/Cheney. But for some of us, last night was the culmination of a struggle going back more than 40 years. It's why Jessie Jackson had tears running down his face.

I e-mailed this quote to my ex a few minutes ago. Her significant other is a lawyer, and was dispatched yesterday to a poll in West Philly to keep an eye on things. The lawyer reported that the polling place was in an old building, with five steps leading up to the door "and [saw] people who could barely walk shuffling up to vote. Elderly people who had never voted stood in line waiting to cast their fist vote. People in wheel chairs had to be carried up the steps of the school so they could get to the
voting machines. It was incredible."

Then my ex remarked, this is how the greastest democracy on earth still treats some of its people.

And about Bobby's quote, she then asked, "Did we believe him" when he said it 40 years ago? "How did he know?"

I replied that yes, she had believed it, and I did, too.

40 years is a long time to wait for that little bit of closure.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 5, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Enough basking, time to get to work. But first, it's time for the Bush countdown clock-

re Jumper's 10:04-I hope a more decisive result than we've been used to of late does not make us complacent. I don't think the problems with voter irregularities will ever be solved. Rather, both voter fraud and voter suppression will continue to be concerns as long as there are voters. Vigilance!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, suicidal, last-ditch, below-the-belt purl one, knit two? In knitting? It happens all the time.

It is often followed by tears and tossing the vile thing in a corner for weeks, and ends with a 'ripping' good time.

Interesting point about McCain.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 5, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

For all of those worried about what you will do now that the election is over, Slate has a handy guide of other online time killers you may find interesting.

Posted by: astromom | November 5, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Mudge-thanks for your 10:15.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

*faxin' dbG an urgent pretzel order* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 5, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm saying this--and never thought I would--but George Bush just gave an excellent speech.

It included a line something like.. "It will be a stirring sight when President-elect Obama, his wife and his beautiful girls walk into the White House."

Posted by: -TBG- | November 5, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful Mudge - the personal background to the quote makes such a difference.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 5, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Blearly-eyed greetings of the morning to the Boodle. I awoke to emails from all over the world, and my African friends are simply over the moon about the election.

Mudge, I agree with you about McCain. Just because he gave a gracious concession speech does not, and should not, give him a get-out-of-jail-free card for his behavior, Palin's behavior and the behavior of his campaign over the past several months. It was all despicable, and the "just kidding" hidden in his speech should not be overlooked.

That being said, what I love about this election is that we will now FINALLY have an adult in the White House. No more "little boy" and no more sophomoric behavior (and worse). I loved Obama's speech, especially when he said that the changes will not come in a year, and may not come in one term -- now THAT is an adult. He also invited each and every one of us to take part in the process -- and we definitely will, however we can with whatever we've got.

Gotta get more caffeine in me before I get into my car, but I am simply over the moon myself.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday, we said goodbye to the past and today we step into the future. I'm so proud of Virginia right now, my home of ~20 years, and I'm equally proud of my former home-state, Pennsylvania, for not succumbing to the politics of racism and division. We've chosen the hope of progress over the politics of fear.

I want us to be a country of optimists again.

Right now, my overwhelming feeling is one of relief. And possibly a slight hangover.

aka ~piXel

Posted by: lynnerags | November 5, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

TBG
Maybe we're seeing an epidemic of graciousness starting.

Posted by: Braguine | November 5, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hi pixel!

This is from Andrew Sullivan this morning... a quote from one of his readers...

"Nothing in my life has actually changed in the 30 minutes since it was announced Obama will be our next president. I have the same bills, the same amount of money in the bank, my dishwasher is still broken, and my 5 month old beagle won't stop peeing on my carpet. Everything in my life is exactly the same as it was 30 minutes ago; and yet I feel as though everything is different."

Posted by: -TBG- | November 5, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hello again Boodle. Yes, RD and Pixel, I too feel like I'm part of a good future. Finally. Thanks for the pictures, Joel. I'm so glad so many are celebrating, and among those who aren't, there are so many willing to recognize the momentous nature of the times. I hope McCain follows up his speech by climbing back on the path to statesmanship and drags his supporters with him. An "epidemic of graciousness", Brag, what a great thought.

Also, hearty congratulations to frostbitten.

Howdy to butlerguy and everyone else. Thanks to abeac for her work with the polls, and to everyone who got out and worked on a candidate's behalf in this election. A lot of you worked hard, from canvassing to polls to feeding and housing the campaign staffs. This is also democracy in action.

I too rejoice in the thought of an adult as President. I loved the announcement about the new puppy. That is such a classic parent move, instantly recognizable across class, party, race and economic status. "Sorry I've been gone so much, but it was really important and look! Here's a puppy!"

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 5, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The hoodwinking of the half-witted half of America is done. Now, let's see what reality has in store for Democrats. You own it. And a mighty mess it is. Let the infighting and social fratricide begin. The problem isn't Republicans alone. It's Washington. Nothing has changed.

Posted by: theeasypartsover | November 5, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

He also promised those girls over a year ago that they WOULD get a puppy when the campaign was over.

Sometimes bribery works, but can't you imagine those girls saying every day, "Mommy, when is the campaign going to be over so we can get the puppy?"

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to anonymous Boodler and Mudge for the RFK quote and Mudge's personal context. I just keep shaking my head. I'm so proud of us.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 5, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Wilbrod-yes, win or lose those girls were getting a dog.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It bothers me to see a pickup truck sitting on its roof at an intersection where speeds are supposed to be less than 40 mph. We had another such crash in town this morning. It must take a LOT of kinetic energy to flip a truck all the way over, like a big fried egg.

So if that happens to pickups, what kind of chance does my little compact car have?
_____________________________
I kinda like the idea of a Presidential Family Companion Dog, trained with emphasis on hospitality duties. And maybe to gently put itself between Presidential Family Unitoids and pushy people. Poor Buddy may have been badly underutilized.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 5, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

The last time I remember feeling even close to this good after an election night was in 1992.

As so many have said, this can be a turning point, a pivotal moment.

But I think that it will only prove to be so if we can seize it and make it work for *everyone* as best we can. The last 8 years have made evident to me that when our leaders manage situations or events for the benefit of a few - without an eye on the bigger picture - they will inevitably fail, and fail *all* of us.

I believe that Obama and the Democratic tide that will be sweeping in during January must act swiftly and responsibly with a Long View -- and not try to bite off too much right away. If they can identify a couple of the right places to govern changes that have significant impact over the long term (figuring out how to reduce the amount of expenditures in overseas militatry operations, for example), and use the capital from those successes to roll into subsequent efforts, then maybe we can pull the nose up on this country and get it flying high again.

[Scottynuke, apologies for the tune cootie.]

But it's going to take more than soaring oratory -- it's going to take work and sacrifice and wisdom at a level that I suspect Americans have become unaccustomed to over the past 60 years or so. The Cleanup on Isle 1600 is going to take awhile; we're going to have to roll our sleeves up and pitch in while remaining patient for significant changes to get to us. Selflessness and responsibility are not easy words to confront when they apply to us.

But today there is hope and postivity and motivation and opportunity -- let's do some good with it.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 5, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

You're welcome, Landslide. I mean, you're welcome, Frosti.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 5, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Congratahoochies to our illustrious Frosty. May your term be a great success!

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | November 5, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"Presidential Family Companion Dog, trained with emphasis on hospitality duties. And maybe to gently put itself between Presidential Family Unitoids and pushy people. "

Are the food and fringe benenfits better?

Where do I apply?!

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Mornin all
I sort of feel like I have an election hangover.

unfortunately West by god did not fall into the Obama column, but Rockefellar was elected again so I am happy with that.

Now the real work begins,no no i don't mean after January 20th. I mean all the leaves that have fallen in the last 2 days.I borrowed my neighbors leaf blower monday,the one can alter paths of flying birds and did most of my yard.But 2 days later more and more have fallen. Out to Get R Done.

It is a nice hangover as hangovers go!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 5, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

That was Wilbrodog, or a dog looking suspiciously like him...

*Grouses at Wilbrodog's failure to read the fine print in his manual of loyalty*

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Collection of Front pages from around the world.

Must say Michelles dress looks great on the front page of the Globe & Mail.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 5, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

More thanks, this time to Achaiku (love the handle!), DNA Girl and Engelmann (SonofCarl) for the poesy. I didn't have the brainpower to even think of rhymes yesterday.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 5, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse