Print Journalism Lives!!!

Kwey and Marcus.jpg

[Photo by Joel Achenbach]

Amazing scene outside The Washington Post on 15th Street: Hundreds and hundreds of people are lined up to buy a commemorative edition of today's newspaper. Shown here are Post Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli and publisher Katharine Weymouth (how'd she get so many copies?) holding the paper. I heard that we're printing 250,000 copies of it. [Update: K-wey says they're increasing the run to 350,000.] The line stretches from the entrance all the way up the block, to M Street, and then hangs a left onto M. Post employees are allowed one copy each, which they're picking up in the lobby. Many of us, though, are fascinated by what we're seeing on the street -- because people obviously still want the physical, tangible thing that we sell (at least on this particular day!). One editor told me, "This is the happiest I've been since I've been here." (I'm going back outside now to try to sell subscriptions.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 5, 2008; 4:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All-Night Party at the White House
Next: Obama's Secret Weapon

Comments

Awesome, Joel.

Hey, can somebody pick up one of these for me and I'll get it when I'm in Washington?

Posted by: Yoki | November 5, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

me too, me too

JA-- I think you mean "fascinated by" not "fascinating by what we're seeing.."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

When our younger daughter was born we ordered from the Toronto Star an edition from the day, it was sent to us in a sealed plastic bag - full edition from the day - cannot remember the price.

Is the Washington Post doing that for those outside DC, is it available?

Posted by: dmd2 | November 5, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, we ARE fascinating, we journalists...But not that kind of fascinating...So will fix...thanks frosty...

Posted by: JoelAchenbach | November 5, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks to all for your congratulations. No inaugural ball for me, just a simple swearing in on Jan. 12th.

Seriously thinking it's time to start working on duplicating the Obama daughters' dresses from last night in miniature for dott's and nieces' "American Girl" dolls. I can't believe the commemorative aspects of yesterday escaped me until this kit.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet you could sell zillions of newspapers everyday if you could tout the kind of news today brings.
Ahhhhhh, what a great day to be alive.
While driving my son to school this morning, I noticed that the majority of McCane yard signs have disappeared! Like discovering that the bump on your arm is just an insect bite and not a tumor. What a welcome relief.
The world seems a better place today.

Posted by: dschalton | November 5, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Joel -- all these kits are makin' me dizzy!

Would it be possible to have the devoted Boodle members receive a commemorative copy? After all, we have our t-shirts as membership cards (official), and those who don't have t-shirts we can vouch for, too. I don't do particularly well at standing for long periods of time, so I'm out if I have to stand in line for it. But I'd love one.

Try and work that out with your boss' boss' boss' boss, k?

Still grinning from ear to ear. In commemoration of this fabulous day, I bought new tires for my car. All in anticipation of future income. Yanno?

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 5, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

You know, it didn't occur to me that newspapers would be the collector's item for this historic election. But of course it is! Although, I believe today's BPH would also be a commemorative event, hope somebody is taking pics.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | November 5, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't surprise me if you were actually outside selling subscriptions. When you come back, tell us how it went!

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 5, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

From the Management:

It has come to our attention that many of you have spent the day dancing around, shouting "IN YO' FACE, BIZOTCHES!" at several unscheduled and random-seeming and unnecessarily gleeful moments. This is unbecoming of our Organization; however this will not be noted on your Employee Records.

Management advises that although this is not a warning, employees will suffer no repercussions if they take it that way.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 5, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I have my very own Seattle P-I to keep - big picture of a smiling Obama - CHANGE HAS COME TO AMERICA is the headline.

And there was dancing in the streets here too (downtown, near the Pike Place Market - it was silent night in my "ethnically rich" neighborhood):
Ron Sims is African-American - he ran for Senate a few years ago and lost.

Saw Cory Booker on MSNBC last night - he's so much fun to listen to. He used the phrase "delicious diversity" to describe America.

Posted by: seasea | November 5, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope Barack and Michelle and John and Cindy slept in this morning. Surely the kids got to skip school this morning, maybe they got there by, say, 11. They all - and we all - deserve a break today. Every one of us was up really late last night.

My personal satisfaction is increased by Kay Hagan's win over Liddy Dole. I didn't vote for Liddy, but she never did much for me one way or the other. She WAS a carpetbagger, being a Beltway insider and all that. But the godless ad was over the top. Had I been undecided, that would have sent me to Hagan posthaste.

Seventy-five days till January 20, 2009. President-Elect Obama will need every one of them to get his stuff together. But I'm sure he'll do it.

Posted by: slyness | November 5, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Any way for us far-away devoted Wash Post readers to get a copy?

AZBlueHen

Posted by: loafie1013 | November 5, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

NPR reported this morning that the Obama daughters went to school and President Elect Obama went to the gym for a workout before starting the transition. They didn't mention Michelle, but I hope she at least slept in.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

My brother's girlfriend is Kenyan. He reports that they spent last evening with a large group of Kenyans and after Obama's speech they danced until past the wee hours.

Posted by: Yoki | November 5, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I have memories of discussing the 1992 election and all the mudslinging with a Kenyan nun. She said then that she hoped things would work out because America was still number one to the rest of the world.

She spoke frankly of the obstacles to Kenyan democracy, including intimidation and vote fraud.

I hope Sister Margaret is happy today; I haven't seen her in years.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

ftb, I bought new tires today too, not that I anticipate any extra money, more that winter is coming and semi-bad tires are a bad idea in snow. I am upset that I didn’t get to celebrate today. My office is mostly conservative and the few people I ran into, including the shuttle van driver for the tire store, were McCain voters. I live in MA for heaven’s sake, you’d think there’d be more Obamamaniacs around!

And Joel, I'd love a copy of the Wapo too. How can we get one?

Posted by: badsneakers | November 5, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Me as well. I'd pay postage to have 3 copies mailed to Minnesota.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I feel so left out of all the celebrations. At least I'll get to see the new Michelle Obama portrait, now at the New Museum in NYC. The show will be in Minneapolis later.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I got an email from the WaPo this afternoon saying the issue will be available at most of the paper retail outlets. There was a long list starting with 7 Eleven

Posted by: bh71 | November 5, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Opps, Only DC retail location.

To celebrate the historical 2008 election, a Special Commemorative Edition of
The Washington Post will be available at the following Washington Metropolitan
area retail locations later this afternoon:

7-Eleven
CVS
Giant
Harris Teeter
Safeway
Shoppers Food and Pharmacy
The Special Commemorative Edition will be one section with parts of today’s first two sections.

Despite printing 30% more copies, The Washington Post sold out quickly this morning.

For more details about this special edition, please click here.

Posted by: bh71 | November 5, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Ja,Frostbitten.

Minnesotans are forbidden to have joy in public.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Coleman up by 476 votes over Franken at this hour. The recount won't start until after the official results are reported to the state Canvassing Board on Nov. 18th. Coleman is grousing at Franken for not conceding and putting the state through the expense and uncertainty of a recount. Hmmmm, for 476 votes out of nearly 3 million a recount might not be a bad idea.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Frosti, I agree. That's close enough for a recount in my opinion.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | November 5, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I think it is important because-- are ALL the absentee ballots in?

I know at least 2 people who didn't vote Norm. From what i know of him, even W. would be a better senator.

It seems the 16% going to Barkley made the results harder to predict.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Aha. Obama's lead in NC has widened since this morning, when the BOE was reporting a difference of .27% and about 11,000 votes. Now his lead is 13,746 and .32%. Yay! Totals are still unofficial, of course.

Posted by: slyness | November 5, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Exactly Wilbrod-If I understand it correctly, military folks voting with the Federal absentee ballot had until 8:00PM last night to have their ballots postmarked. Let's see, from Afghanistan or Iraq to here, might take a few days. I don't see Coleman as being as bad as you do, but any contest that close should be recounted-which is why there is an automatic mechanism.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Aloha! How were the celebrations on Oahu? Fireworks? Spontaneous potlucks? Do tell.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

The winner of the limerick contest has been announced and our very own SofC took an honorable mention
engelmann:
No greater survivor there can surely be
than John McCain, Vietnam pilot and detainee
but even a veteran of crashes
couldn’t escape from the ashes
of the smoldering wreckage of Bush forty three

the winner:
busstopboxer:
McCain's new best friend, Joe the Plumber
Is having his Indian Summer
He soon hopes to be
On a country CD
And probably driving a Hummer

I liked the runner up better:
bgraham1:
This limerick is written by Palin,
And I'm just gonna ignore your liberal media "gotcha" rules and requirements
About rhyming, which is also
A socialist agenda
So too and also in my experience
As a mayor of the buckets of job creation
I can see Russia from my house

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

now Joel, that is an excellent photo!!! well done.

Posted by: MissToronto | November 5, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

As I left the BPH, there was a line of thirty or so people at the newstand across the street from McCormick & Schmicks. I asked if they were waiting for lottery tickets. Nope, they were lining up to buy the paper.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 5, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Hi Frosti,

Actually, it's been pretty subdued although I know pretty much everyone is thrilled! The residents of Obama's grandmother's apartment building held an election night party in their lobby. There were lots of tears but great happiness too. I think we're all just letting it sink in. I cried when I heard that Obama had won.

On a Bacon degrees of separation note, Alohaspouse used to work at a Baskin and Robbins ice cream shop in high school. It was owned by his cousin at the time. She asked Alohaspouse if he remembered working with a guy named Barry. My husband said, "Who, that tall skinny kid from Punahou?" Cousin says, "That was Barrack Obama." Alohaspouse scooped ice cream with the future POTUS! (Did I already tell you guys this story?)

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | November 5, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Hallooo.

My, my, its been a while. I hope everyone's doing well? Thought I ought to stop by and congratulate everyone on the groundbreaking and joyous happenings of yesterday.

Posted by: Kerric | November 5, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

MidOfPac - I certainly hadn't heard it before. Cool!

Posted by: bobsewell | November 5, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

That's cool. He forgot to add ice-cream scoopery to his CV, though.

Latin phrases which gave me a laugh.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 5, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

My head is still swimming from the Post-Election Obama Victory Boodle Porching Hour (PEOVBPH). so many nice people but too many names to remember, real names, old boodle handles, new WaPo ids. It's all too much for my little brain. If it weren't for Brenda and Eddie knowing who was who I'd be totally lost.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I, too, bought new tires today. I have a talent for ruining them. I should set up a system to buy fresh sticky summer tires. The little Ford Focus would be happier. My bad habits might go back to the early 70s, when I innocently flew around North Carolina in a Datsun 510. It seems to have been a BMW on a grad-student budget.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 5, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Back-boodling some, I have to agree with kb. This election was non-racial in my mind. It was a clash of very different styles and approaches, neither of which was white or black or mixed.

It's like the media woke this morning and said, "OMG! This guy is black. Maybe we need to let somebody know." I think it is a historic election not because he's black, but because it doesn't matter. The whole victory celebration coverage from Times Square, Harlem, Lafayatte Park, etc. just seemed a little over the top and somewhat Dick-Clark-let's-cut-to-Vegas for me.

Obama was seven when King was assassinated, so its about as relevant as William Ayers. If you voted for Barack just because he was black, I feel so sad. If you voted for the candidate with the skills and positions we need for these very difficult times, that is all that matters.

Sorry. I'm suffering from white guy syndrome. We are totally inarticulate when discussing race. And come off either as ignorant or prejudiced or worse. So please interpret my rant in the best possible light.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I was about to recycle the newspaper tonight but maybe I'll hang on to it. The only other newspaper I think we ever saved was the day after Cal Ripken broke his record.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Heading for the PEBPH today, got tangled up with the bunch of people lined up in a maze of sidewalk contruction. I though maybe these were people who wanted to have copies of my book signed.

But all they wanted was to buy a lousy paper.

It was great to meet the PEBPH Boodlers.
had a good time.

Night everyone.

Posted by: Braguine | November 5, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

We have a collection of newspapers we have kept from significant events, the days our kids were born, important elections here, Cal Rikpen, When Baltimore opened the season 0-13? Plus a few magazines, all are in a box somewhere and everyonce and a while I will find them.

My MIL was telling me about scrap books that her relative had maintained (and perhaps had inherited) many books full of articles about important national, provincial and local issues - the younger generations used to use the books for projects as they were filled with the little details missing in most sources.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 5, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I agree with you, yello. I voted for Obama because I am impressed with his background, his obvious brilliance, and his obvious leadership skilz. (I've studied leadership on a graduate level, FWIW.) I would have voted for him if he had been a three-eyed purple Martian, with that CV.

PEBPH photos, anyone? Scotty, you there?

Posted by: slyness | November 5, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

DNA_Girl, thanks for posting those results.

I would just point out that engelmann's limerick is the only one that scans appropriately, and doesn't stretch a point.

The winner is good, but not a limerick (shift the comma from the middle to the end of the first line and it works), and your favourite is witty but doesn't trump our own Boodler.

Posted by: Yoki | November 5, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Yello-it's like I told Mr. F last night, you white guys have had 43. When the non-white, or non-guy, presidents number a half dozen you can expect the over exuberant displays to stop. Mine probably will anyway.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Aloha-if you've told that ice cream story before I must have missed it. Great!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Slyness and yello, “S” and I were just talking about this same subject. I said that all the news today seems to be about Obama being black and that although I register that fact, it had nothing to do with why I voted for him. “S” and I agreed that we chose him because he was smart and we agreed with most of his policies. I like your thought that the election is historic because his being black doesn’t matter, that sums it up for me. I can’t wait for 1/20/09!

Did anyone hear the quote from someone in the McCain campaign about how the Palins were Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus's all across the country. I think the dirt is just beginning to come out about Sarah.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 5, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Aloha, that's wonderful! Maybe you could be guests at the inauguration - old pals from Hawaii!

Kerric - you managed to keep your old name - good for you!

yellojkt, I kind of agree with you - but Obama channels MLK in a way (the cadence of his speech, phrasing), sometimes, and knows and honors the civil rights movement. So the fact that he was a child during the 60s doesn't mean he doesn't know the history deeply. But as he said, he didn't experience the searing racism that people older than he is did - and so doesn't have the anger and resentment - which help him appeal to us white folks. I'm not putting this very well, either, I don't think.

Posted by: seasea | November 5, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody noticed Joel has a habit of talking pictures of his boss and posting them on the web? Is this some sort of job security thing?

The first black/woman/Martian/whatever that does something isn't the one that is ground-breaking. It's the third, fourth and fifth ones that makes a difference.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

This guy is one of my favorite Wonkette commenters. Here are his Letterman-style 10 reasons why the Republicans deserved to lose:

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, SofC! I do like the one about Palin, very funny. Now that Ted Stevens is a convicted felon, can he vote for himself?

(still jumping up and down)

Posted by: seasea | November 5, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

yello-there is much truth in your 10:10

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

yello, thanks for the link, it's a keeper.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 5, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

aloha, that's a great story!

Posted by: LALurker | November 5, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, that's a great link - thanks. I especially like the #1 reason.

Posted by: seasea | November 5, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Is someone subtly making a case for only printing newspapers when something newsworthy happens?

Nah, can't be - then otherwise newspapers would have incentive to start manufacturing news...

Or, having contractors *making* news (hmmm, I think I might enjoy that gig).

Enjoyed the BPH tonight, but broke up a little early. Remarkably most of the Boodlers were tired from the past couple of days, and wanted to get some sleep.

G'night, all.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 5, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

i have a question for the boodle. who is the other independent in the senate (besides lieberman)? there are now two listed, but i have no idea who the other one is.

Posted by: LALurker | November 5, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

LAL-Bernard Sanders from Vermont

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I should add Bernie Sanders describes himself as a Democratic-Socialist.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

The Daily Show is skewering all the special effects used for election coverage last night. That CNN hologram was terrible, and very funny.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Enough boodle hogging. Toodles boodle and sweetest of dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 5, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I found the graphics to be so distracting - I couldn't settle on one channel to watch because they were all so busy. And then when certain Republicans came on, I had to switch...and when a battleground state was declared I had to see if other networks were declaring it to, or come to see what WaPo or the Boodle had...very frenetic. I must say I was glad it was over at 8 pm (my time). I watched Jon and Colbert between 7 and 8...Wonder what David Letterman will say tonight? Will have to tape that.

Posted by: seasea | November 5, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I bought three copies of the Rock Hill Herald today as keepsakes for my children. I went to the BiLo and asked a couple of the employees sitting outside, on a smoke break, if they knew where I might find a NY Times. They looked at me like I was from another planet. One of them said "Is that a newspaper??? I've never seen that one." Oy. I'm dropping one of our dogs off in Greensboro tomorrow for a show. I may have to see if I can manage to get a commemorative edition of the Times or WaPo somewhere in Charlotte. I'm toying with the idea of heading north with my family for the inauguration.

Posted by: -jack- | November 5, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

thanks, frosti.

yeah, what was up with those special effects? i watched cnn and was like, is this for real?

i look forward to seeing jon stewart tomorrow morning. and pebph pictures, if there are any. i plan to go to bed soon. i feel so tired, partly because of other factors, but mainly because this weight of worry about the elections has been lifted. didn't realize how much it's affected me. it sounds like others feel that way, too.

Posted by: LALurker | November 5, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

LALurker, I know what you mean about the unnoticed weight of anxiety about the election. I feel weightless today. Today I noticed a ticket I got late last week in my purse and I had trouble remembering how upset I felt about it at the time. I was a different creature then, almost.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | November 6, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

The Charlotte Observer was sold out at all the stores and I got word that the lobby was swarming with people buying arms full of papers at a time. The Observer is one that still lives in the same building the printing presses live in. I don't know if they fired up the presses to run off some more.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 6, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. I cannot get the time thing down. Every morning I'm up at two o'clock. I think we're all relieved and tired because the political process lasted so long. Yet I am happy with the results. When I saw Rev. Jackson crying on the news yesterday morning, I thought, those are tears of so many different things. So many cried last night. Gene Robinson's tries to put a name to it, but he doesn't quite make it. And I can't find the words either. So we cry.

Scotty, Mudge, Slyness, Martooni, I'm the early bird this morning, and a good morning to all. *waving*

I have a doctor's app. today, and hopefully some answers. It would be nice to have a newspaper of this historic event.

At the Bible study yesterday, we prayed for Americans everywhere, and we prayed for our new President. We asked for our country and our people to be blessed.

Have a great day, folks. It started out cloudy and dreary yesterday, but before sunset, it was a beautiful day.

Too early to swim, so perhaps a nap.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 6, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Almost defeated by the dual attack of lasagna and potato salad, our protagonist fell back in a faint, then all went black. The next thing he knew it was the middle of the night and strange questions ran through his mind: where is Bayou Self?

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 6, 2008 3:26 AM | Report abuse

Hello Jumper!

I’ve not had good lasagna for a very very long time. The chefs/cooks here don’t make good lasagna mainly because they can’t find the right cheese.

Very nice picture, Joel.

Congrats Frostbitten! That’s a big win!

It was in the papers today. South-east Asia congratulates Obama. Hundreds of students at Obama’s old elementary school in Indonesia cheered and dance in the rain after learning that one of their own had run away with the US presidency. A former classmate said, “I remember in the class book, all students were writing down their goals and wishes. Some said they wanted to be lawyers, soldiers, pilots and doctors, but he was the one who said he wanted to be president.”

Posted by: rainforest1 | November 6, 2008 3:55 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. My goodness, Cassandra, you're really pushing the boundaries of the Dawn Patrol here. 2 a.m.? We may have to transfer you to Rainforest's Midnight Special detachment. But I know what it's like at our age. Hope you get some rest.

A hundred things to read on the front page, and I don't have time for any of them. Good BPH last night.

Catch you all later.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 6, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Maureen Dowd also sees a new dawn in America:

I compared some of her White House celebration reporting to Joel's:

I wonder if they bumped into each other.

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | November 6, 2008 6:35 AM | Report abuse

I didn't mean to link to my blog twice. Here's the original Dowd column:

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | November 6, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. We're in the fog again. As predicted we'll have provincial elections Dec 8th. Counting the US election, that will be the third election this fall. Lucky we didn't have the municipal as well.
SoC is a real poet, isn't he?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 6, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

G'morning all. Cassandra, I hope you're asleep again.

In our rush to leave the house Sunday to set up for our conference, we didn't change the time on the thermostat, so the furnace came on an hour early this morning and I woke up. Oh well, I managed to stay in the bed till the normal time and I slept really well.

Gonna be a nice day here. And I'm still a very happy camper.

Posted by: slyness | November 6, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Morning all.

Thank you Slyness you just reminded me of one of the clocks I forgot to adjust - the thermostat.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 6, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

*very-bleary-eyed-and-reaching-for-the-coffee-while-waiting-for-the-chimney-people Backboodling activity*

Well then...

Actually, I think we shall call this the YWDBPH. Do I hear a second?

Photos are forthcoming, never fear...

*heading-off-to-the-Hartford-Courant-Web-site-for-some-crucial-information Grover waves*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 6, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Dangit, dangit, dangit...

Looks like I won't be able to determine how many votes got polled out of Mianus, Conn.

*SIGH*

;-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 6, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Even in knitting stores the talk was about the American election. All the customers wanted to talk about it, from the students to the grandmotherly types who came in for yarn for great grandbabies.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 6, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Gut morninckzz, Boodlers!
Pleasantly not too cold for the Dawn Patrol.

As usual, watching the Boodle's six o'clock.

Analyzing Medvedev's speech, which could be easily misinterpreted.

Posted by: Braguine | November 6, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse