Seattle On Foot

IMG_4409.jpg

This is Twin Peaks country. Was there ever a TV show more hyped and more disappointing than "Twin Peaks"? Other than giving Duchovny his first role, I can't see what good it was in the end. Kind of like "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman": Great buzz but nothing to stick to the ribs. (You recognize in this picture the picturesque Snoqualmie Falls. It's a perfect waterfall, as if designed by an 8-year-old. I mean that as a compliment.)

IMG_4380.jpg

When exploring a city it is important, and polite, to scrutinize the architecture and appreciate the craft of forgotten masons.

IMG_4418.jpg

Food and beverages are always better when purveyed by an establishment advertised with neon. Fact.

IMG_4420.jpg

It was murder fitting that strand of peppers into my carry-on luggage.

IMG_4421.jpg

The original Starbucks. I thought the coffee tasted just like the coffee at every other Starbucks. I almost bought a souvenir coffee mug but worried that it would brand me as a geek about eight different ways.

IMG_4425.jpg

Long line at Top Pot Doughnuts so I didn't get a chence to test the neon theory.

IMG_4427.jpg

Good food at the Icon Grill. Another rule is that you can never go wrong patronizing a place with an old movie marquee out front.

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 22, 2008; 8:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Found Groovy New Coffee Chain
Next: Beetles and Gas Giants

Comments

Joel, Joel, dear Joel... after all these years of appreciation and harmony, it's happened; the honeymoon's over. You've gone and disparaged my beloved Twin Peaks.

Oh, I know, there's no use arguing about it - we just don't see eye to eye; it was bound to happen someday. I'll console myself with a steaming hot cup of joe, and a slice of that wonderful cherry pie... and just what are these fantastic trees you have out here?

Posted by: randyman1 | November 22, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

We agree on the unique allure of Seattle, but you WALKED to Snoqualmie Falls? You're one plucky journalist. BTW, you forgot to mention how it's always raining in Seattle. That's the code we Seattle-lovers use to dissuade the unknowing from invading and ruining the area. Starbucks? Meh.

Posted by: budzilla | November 22, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Great pictures, Joel, but to get to the really cool falls, you have to get out a ways. Here is Christine Falls near Mount Rainier (sorry about my wife blocking part of the view):

And for the truly archetypal falls you have to go all the way down to Oregon for Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge:

Posted by: yellojkt | November 22, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Lovely but JA, plan to return in spring or summer so you can see but not step on the iconic land mollusk of the PacNorWest:

banana slug aka
Pacific banana slug, Ariolimax columbianus.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 22, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey, the first season was great, what with the atmospherics and all.

Neither Icon Grill nor that doughnut shop is familiar to me, but a quick Google search shows they weren't around back when I was in Grad School.

That brick building looks like a lot of the stuff around Pioneer Square, or maybe 5th Avenue. A bunch of those buildings were put up after the Great Seattle Fire.

Way back when there was also a Starbucks store in the University District where you could just buy beans. The aroma was great, though.

Well, enough meandering down memory lane. Time for more cherry pie and steaming hot coffee.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 22, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Here is a rare picture of the entire family with the son smiling in front of Pike Public Market. His tee shirt says "I have no idea what's going on." A motto he truly lives.

And here is said son enraptured by a tree slug:

Posted by: yellojkt | November 22, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Meant to say, RD, sorry about your WaMu brother's misfortune.

And BC, sad for your family about losing a beloved. I am glad you had the comfort of ritual and ancient prayers: patterns help us, don't they? My mother's graveside service was Catholic first, then Jewish. My mother's best friend is Jewish. I felt equally comforted by both prayer cycles. And, I really broke at the tenderness of the dirt from the holy land That the S family used some of their precious store for my mother still touches me.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 22, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

good morning boodle. Temperatures screamed up during the night to 14F (from 1). Looks like we may even warm past freezing, in time to have rain and ice tomorrow.

Stumbling to the espresso maker, thinking neon might be a nice decorative touch for Chez Frostbitten.

Not done backboodling, but I must direct everyone to the link rainforest posted about Karolina Kurkova's lack of a belly button
My favorite comment:
"I lost my belly button after abdominal surgery five years ago. I've found it very useful on training session icebreakers when we are asked for an unusual fact about ourselves, although I often have to prove it."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 22, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' everybody...

I just looked out the window and now I'm thinking it would be best if I just went back to bed. It appears we had a fresh dump of white stuff last night and I'm really not in the mood for it. Stupid Lake Erie. I'm almost waxing nostalgic about the days when our lakes and rivers around here were flammable. "Too cold fer ya Ma? Lemme throw a little more Cuyahoga on the fire! That'll warm yer toes!"

Cassandra... Little Bean lost a few of those front teeth recently. Just in time for school pictures, of course. And with a Daddy who takes his "resident clown" duties seriously, the poor little thing has had to put up with quite a bit of ribbing about it. Not too much ribbing, though... some day that child will be sending me off to a nursing home or worse and I want to make sure she's got lots of "happy" memories about dear old Dad as she's deciding whether I get the bed with a window view or a cardboard box in the parking lot.

Still feeling as yucky as a --- you really don't want to know and I don't want to get a lifetime ban from the A-blog, so I'll just say "fried guano, adhered to shoe".

And just so yinz all know, "YINZ" is a very useful word that very nice hard-working Western Pennsyltucky people invented to use when referring to or addressing a group of people when they don't want to sound like a hucklebuck from "dahn-err" (which is Pittsburghese for "south"). Otherwise, we use the formal "Hello, group of people... We think you're dandy! Do you like pie? Here, have some pie!".

And it's not "yunz" or "younz" (unless you're from Slippery Rock, where the men are men and the women are men and the sheep run scared and everyone has a doctorate in P.E.). It's "YINZ".

Oh... and "Babooshka Mama" is a term of endearment in these parts, so unless you want to be "broomed" to death, say it nice. And contrary to popular belief, Dravosburg girls are anything but "easy".

Just givin' yinz all a headz up an'at.

'Cause yinz can take the boy outta dahntahn, but yinz can't take the dahntahn outta the boy. An now I'm thinkin' I need ta go ta Eat'n'Park an get some eggs an'at an' me and my buddies can argue about why it's "Eat'n'Park" when you gotta park first if ya wanna eat. Or at least slow down.

Jeez.

Maybe I should lay off the cold meds for a while and let Nature take its course.

Posted by: martooni | November 22, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Ain't religion grand?

From a lengthy article by local reporter Jeorge Zarazua tucked on B3 next to the fold in our local paper today...:

Texans gave more than $1.3 million to the recent Prop. 8 measure in California banning same-sex marriage in California. San Antonians donated $157,448. Texans coughed up more money, $50,000, to defeat California's Prop. 8 than when the same constitutional amendment was on the Texas ballot in 2005.

..."San Antonio residents were among the biggest contributers in the state to support California's ban on same-sex marriage. Those contributors also tended to be Mormon..." Many San Antonians contributed $100, but a number of San Antonio Mormons, such as an opthamalogist and chemical engineer called out in the article, donated the hefty sum of $10,000.

Methinks it's close to time to resurrect some Loomis antecedents and to delve a bit into David Ebershoff's recent book, "The 19th Wife."

Note that last weekend, dozens of protetors filled the steps of our City Hall to denounce the passage of the proposition as a hate-filled intiative. California's Supreme Court on Wednesday, in a 6 to 1 vote, agreed to hear legal challenges to the proposition.

Posted by: laloomis | November 22, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

This morning, listening to the radio, I learned an amazing and important lesson from that noted scholar of the economy, and Master of Business Adminstration, still-President George W. Bush.

"The enduring lesson," he informed us, "of the Great Depression, is that global protectionism does not work." I was momentarily taken aback by this statement. To the best of my knowledge, our planetary globe has no trade relations with other planetary globes, and thus protectionist policies would seem to be moot. Sure, we give and give, sending probes; but we expect no quid pro quo. We're like that: generous to a fault.

The still-President continued (I am paraphrasing this part; he was not so pithy as in the first bit), "We have learned that economic security and stability comes from free markets and free trade."

Please discuss.

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 22, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

For example: what class of anti-psychotic medication might be most effective in this case?

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 22, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all. Howdy to randyman1 and budzilla. I agree with both those who praise Twin Peaks and Joel's ultimate disappointment with it. RD hit upon the reason: the first season was much better than the second. Ivansdad and I marveled throughout the first season that a network had given David Lynch a series and apparently put no particular boundaries on his personal style. We suspect that Lynch was marveling at the same thing. Our speculation was that nobody really thought they'd give the show a second season, and the production team was unprepared for the opportunity.

I don't watch much TV, and didn't then, but I thought that show was great (1st season mostly!). Bob was the scariest character I've ever seen in a series. Some references have become iconic.

I think I'll bake a cherry pie today, and y'all watch out for the fish in the coffee.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 22, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Science Tim

I'm at a loss because I don't get that. Is that really what he wanted to say or did his words get mixed up? Some help, please.

Martooni, I laughed out loud at your reference to the missing teeth. I'm sure Little Bean will not sit you out in a cardboard box in a parking lot. I'll bet she's crazy about you.

Ivansmom, I'm still not proficient with emailing yet, antique that I am, but I hope I got it right. I think I hit the wrong button. Check and see.

JA, as always the pictures are fab, but what are you going to do with all that pepper? With this real cold weather, I decided to cook some beans, and of course, my thoughts runned to those kits talking about man foods. I think I'll throw in a couple of biscuits with mine.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 22, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I knew that Starbuck's when it was just Starbuck's. No "that" necessary, as it was the only one. Yes, I'm that old.

Posted by: ndgirl | November 22, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I love those centurions of the architectural world that occupy the building sites at a wye (y?) intersection. I seems like every major city has one. Potsdam sandstone, or something like it, is often used as decorative trim when red brick is used to clad the building's exterior.

Posted by: -jack- | November 22, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon all!

See, I TOLD y'all Kurkova couldn't possibly be the sexiest! I mean, a properly displayed bellybutton makes all the difference, right? :-)

*back-to-the-weekend-routine-of-chores-and-such Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 22, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

*extra Grover waves for the newcomers, of course* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 22, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Afternnon all
I am off for a double dip of football this weekend.Florida State vs Maryland tonight and Eagles vs Ravens on Sunday.It should be a lot of fun and I need to get back into the tailgate frame of mind. Of course my contribution with be shrimp and shrimp.

Hope those folks on the JFK are nice and warm and not too tired by now.

Have a Great day and weekend everyone

redandwhiteandpurplewithenvy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 22, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Cool story about Ry Cooder and the salt flats:

Posted by: -jack- | November 22, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

For more info on the building in JA's picture with the totem pole in the foreground
And here's a write up on the pole

I think the picture in this kit only looks like a "flat iron" building because of JA's angle.
Here's what the Seattle Dept. of Neighborhoods has to say about it:

Stop me before I spend the whole day looking at pdfs of destroyed and endangered buildings. Please JA, no more pictures of architectural detail-I am powerless to resist the allure of earnestly undertaken building inventories.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 22, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to understand the St. Paul inferiority complex. We have this lovely man made water feature in a great park-

but Seattle has this-(scroll down for photo)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 22, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess no one bothered to give Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz a baby-name book...

"Ashlee Simpson-Wentz and her rocker husband Pete Wentz have become parents for the first time after welcoming a baby boy.

The pop star, 24, gave birth to son Bronx Mowgli Wentz on Thursday night at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles."

Posted by: -TBG- | November 22, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

So, Ivansmom -- do I take a right or a left at the intersection to get to your house in anticipation of what is highly likely to be an absolutely scrumptious cherry pie?

I'll bring legal war stories (does that help?).

Ah, well -- just a thought. . . .

Now that Michigan has been undoubtedly massacred by Ohio State, and that the Lions will do same come Thanksgiving Day by whatever team they will play (and I use "play" advisedly) -- now, indeed, I can git on with my life. Yeah, as if. . .

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 22, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Legal war stories are always fun, firsttimeblogger. Just let your nose lead you to the pie - get to the intersection, then follow the aroma.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 22, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'd like a Banana Slug.
I'd call him Eric.
Eric the Banana Slug.
Unless he was a lady Banana Slug
Or a hermaphodite
Then I'd work in Erica somehow.
I'm glad I don't have a pet slime mould.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Wikipedia says that the article on slime mould "needs to be cleaned up." Made me laugh.

Posted by: nellie4 | November 22, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

S'nuke, you called it. You called it.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 22, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The most reassuring thing about a proper bellybutton is that it helps us distinguish real human mammals from alien imposters.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Everybody is invited to imaginary brunch tomorrow.

Sunday November 23, 2008
Where: Chez Yoki
Time: 11:30 am EST 'til ??

Menu:

Mimosas
Bloody Marys
Prosecco
Coffee
Tea

Gingered Pineapple, Melon & Mango Salad

Grits, Cheese & Onion Soufflé

Artichoke and Mushroom Frittata

Eggs in Hell (eggs poached in hot salsa, served in a tortilla cup with cheese and black bean relish)

Smoked Salmon on chive potato pancakes with crème fraiche & capers

Tomato Bread Pudding

Strawberry Crepes with Cider Syrup

Vegetable Platter

Assorted Cheeses

Assorted Breads: Irish soda bread, whole wheat pain de campagne, cinnamon/pecan coffee cake, cranberry muffins, scones. Jams, honey, apple butter

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh my... sounds wonderful, Yoki. I'll be there at 11:15 and help you set the table.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 22, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh...

Christmas with real trees
Who know the tinkle of deer
Drawing in the snow

Bring in oxygen
As carbon tiptoes through houses
And dry lungs shrivel

Walk in the smell of
Firs that have snatched wolf fur
From spring pups tumbling

Or, just plant some evergreen saplings outside to be watered by the entire neighborhood of stray dogs.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 22, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TBG! You know where everything is. I think we'll use the white Wedgewood.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Now that is a feast Yoki, I will be decorating the house with the kids tomorrow and enjoying that imaginary brunch as we work.

Lots of homemade decorations, greenery and scents of cinnamon, clove, alspice and balsam going your way to decorate the feast.

We also have plates of leftover goodies from a family event today I can share, but they are store bought and would pale in comparison to Yoki's gourmet fare.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 22, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh Yoki, that sounds fabulous and I will be delighted to attend. May I bring flowers? I'll come early and help TBG. And you can count on me to assist with cleanup. Not that there will be anything left.

Posted by: slyness | November 22, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Flowers would be great, slyness. I'm thinking the table will be dressed in fall colours; bronze and red and brown, so anything in that palette would be lovely. See you a little before 11:30!

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Would any one mind if I started on on the Bloody Mary's now?

Posted by: --dr-- | November 22, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll bring some fresh butter biscuits along if I could.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 22, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

And I'll bring the appetite!

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 22, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Not at all, and absolutely!, dr.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrodog, you mustn't put such ideas in the heads of Yokisdogs. They already try to *stare* their way into a treat or two.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

A bit of knowledge dogs and cats share is that if you stare long enough at a faucet it will turn on, and if you stare at food you will get some. (So says #5 who just discovered the difference between dishwashing suds in a sink and frothy milk atop coffee in a cup. Not getting scolded while reaching for the suds should have tipped her off.)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 22, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I missed the meteor completely. Our house is oriented north and I understood it was in the eastern sky? Must read more about it.

Searching for info on it lead me to this

which if you come from Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba, is really really funny.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 22, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Add to frosti's list, if you sit squarely in front of the gas fire and stare at it, it will magically turn on under the power of your gaze. Blue Max hasn't discovered this delight yet, but when Felitan Strabo was alive, he was firmly convinced of his magical powers to create light and heat with his gaze.

(And this just goes to show what slaves we all were to his wants, because it *worked*!)

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Bronze and red it is, Yoki, with brown accents. I may slip in a little ivory and some pale lavender as well. A tall bouquet for the buffet table and a couple of small pieces for the dining table, so that we can see over them to converse easily with each other.

Posted by: slyness | November 22, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

The comment, you mean? Yes, it does help to know Canadian politics, but "if manitoba had any vision..." is funny.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 22, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I think the title of this kit should be "Seatle On Feet." Unless Joel is hopping or riding a Banana Slug.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 22, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

*Quietly steps back in anticipation of Mudge's volcanic synedoche diatribe.*

I like "on shank's mare" or "afoot" myself.

*Watches a sacrifice be bound foot and hand before being tossed into the volcano.*

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 22, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Hand and foot.

But yes, the image of Joel riding a giant banana slug through Seattle is perfect.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 22, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow.

Might even be convinced to make my zesty eggs Benedictine and french toast with challah bread.

After a Bloody Mary or two, of course.

Long after individual masons are forgotten, their works still stand - stone moves through time with a special kind of inertia. Thanks for that reminder, Joel.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 22, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

bc, how much persuading would it take? Those would be very welcome additions to the repast.

And I shall personally pour you a couple of Bloody Marys to seal the deal.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Would it be totally pedestrian if I brought along some cheesy grits?

Posted by: -jack- | November 22, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Grits! Yoki loves grits! Jack... you do know that I smuggled two pounds of grits (dry) into Canada when I visited Yoki last spring.

frosti... I was feeling sorry for my cat recently because she can't feed herself or get herself fresh water and then I realized she CAN do it... she just sprawls in front of the sink or leads me to her food bowl. If only it were that easy for me to get food and drink.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 22, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I can't come Yoki, I need a light lunch because I planned a big spread for the Grey cup .(18:00 EST, or 4pm Alberta time). I hope Calvillo will improve his Grey cup record. 1 in 4 isn't representative of his career. That young pup Burris has many years in front of him.

We are still freezing. This morning during our walk I could feel the Very Large Puppy's heat through my pants' leg. It was cold.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 22, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

BTW I don't want to gloat of anything but the old Rouge et Or won the Vanier cup, again. Yep, they are Champion of Canadian college football.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 22, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

jack, bring grits! As large a pot-full as you can handle. As TBG says, I'm mostly likely the only Canadian who really loves grits, and for my money there can never be too much.

shrieking, that's OK. I understand. Come to Easter brunch next year, though, unless there is a hockey game you can't skip.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Oops! Meant to add a footnote that we'll only have apple butter on the table if greenwithenvy agrees to attend, since he is the keeper of all things apple-ly. gwe, if you're out there, I solicit your company tomorrow morning.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

ok, but I'll have to send them early, as we'll be off to church at 11. *running for the kitchen*

Posted by: -jack- | November 22, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

The great thing about imaginary brunch is that it starts at imaginary 11:30. No worries, jack. You and the rest of your people can just come when you can, as you are, and you will be very welcome.

Posted by: Yoki | November 22, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Yoki. Did you ever receive my message?

Posted by: -jack- | November 22, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Yikes we got trounced.....breakfast sounds good Yoki,but i will be hitting the tailgate party very early tomorrow.....but will be there in spirit.....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 22, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I did, jack, I replied yesterday. Only to say that Wilbrod expressed my reservations about that mating (not all sibs and neutered predecessor generation sibs having been tested, so not enough hard data to make a responsible guess on the chance of firming up disability in the line).

Thanks for sending your goodwill, gwe. Have fun with those tailgates.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

But your breakfast sounds wonderful Yoki,as do all your recipes and food.I guess that is why you have Yoki's Kitchen.I bet you would do well in your own restaraunt!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 23, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Why thank you, green sir. I'd be a disaster as a restauranteur! I'd be inviting all my friends in to eat for free, and sitting with you instead of working, and I'd be bankrupt within months.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

well Yoki I would love to eat at your restaurant.Time for sleep....goodnight boodle

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 23, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

NukeSpouse and I will bring a delightful fruit flan to the brunch! (bc and TBG can vouch for its delightfulness) I could even be persuaded to bring some Grade A New England maple syrup... :-)

The front page again has a prime entry in the "once again, Congress manages to cause the exact opposite of what it intends" department:

*SIGHHHHHHHHHHHH*

I MIGHT have to break out the winter jacket today. Maybe. *perusing the long-range forecast* :-)

*planning-a-particularly-slothful-Sunday-apart-from-the-obligatory-laundry-stuff-and-meals-and-so-on Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 23, 2008 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Arrrrrrrrrrgh...

Just tried to post a link to a NYT article about the latest sports doping fad... But the URL includes a certain "V" pharmaceutical, so the Wirty Dird Filter musta kicked in. You should be able to see the article right on the NYT home page. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 23, 2008 6:06 AM | Report abuse

S'nuke:

Tinyurl to the rescue:

Posted by: yellojkt | November 23, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

'morning Scotty. Another cold one here, the first time I see the wind chill factor at -20C/-4F this year. Brrrrr. The winter coats have been out for a while.
The suet block is very popular in this cold weather. The red-breasted nuthatches are back. Yes! They are a very cute smaller version of the regular nuthatches. They don't stay around all winter long but it's nice while they stop for the goodies we offer.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 23, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Well, it is performance-enhancing.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 23, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Too kind, yellojkt, thankee. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 23, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

shrieking... your report on bird sightings led me to this search... so cute...

Posted by: -TBG- | November 23, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Lots to do today, but I'll be stopping in for brunch later.

I'll make some eggs Benedictine and challah french toast, if someone will keep refilling my Bloody Mary (must keep stirring that Hollendaise, you know).

Needing those Bloody Marys today - it's been a diffcult week (not including the Terps getting whalloped last night).

On a completely unrelated note, I see that the new recycling toilets on the ISS are having problems, and that the centrifuges (!) keep shutting down.

It really must be the 21st century when toilets have centrifuges.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 23, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Apparently comments about brunch are far too racy for the "moderator" and are held for review. See you all later, uncensored.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Mornin All
Heading out to Eagles/Ravens. Since the close proximity to Thanksgiving Turkey is on the tailgate menu and philly cheese steaks of course.We are the seafood connection. Should be good game,hopefully better then last weeks.

Enjoy your breakfast this morning,especially you Yoki!!

What a glorious day for Football

Purplewithenvy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 23, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I've uncovered pretty conclusive evidence that Maureen Dowd does her research at the Huffington Post

I'm not sure how serious an offense this is or if anyone else will even notice.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 23, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the blogplug, yello.

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | November 23, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Brunch sounds delightful but I'm trying to watch the calories. Can I just have an asiago cheese bagel with low-fat cream cheese?

My uncle is a big Iggles fan, gwe. As are a few boodlers. Wear that purple with pride.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 23, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Boodlers.

Good smells wafting from Yoki's kitchen.

Last week I've been digging for possible good news in the future.

Countries that expect to see less growth instead of going into recession: China, Russia, Brazil, Chile. These economies claim to have enough cash reserves to weather the storm (there are others, too)and will help stabilize the economic disaster. What we have heard nothing about is the huge Saudy cash stash.

Have a happy Sunday, everyone. :o)

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | November 23, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

good morning boodle. Trying to get morning chores done in time to enjoy Yoki's brunch.

Brag-here's what the Saudis have been up to in MN:
ROCHESTER, Minn. - Rochester officials say members of Saudi Arabia's royal family spent enough money during their visit this week to remedy the area's economic woes for the year.

Estimates of their spending ranged from $1 million to $2.5 million during an eight-day visit.

Read the rest here

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 23, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Brag, there is a saying that Brazil will be the next big break-out economy - it always has been and always will be.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 23, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. Thanks so much for the lovely brunch, Yoki! I look forward to attending. Your grits souffle sounds like an elegant version of what we call cheese grits casserole. I'm with you - there can never be too many grits. To accompany the Bloody Marys I'll bring along some orange juice and champagne for Mimosas (very popular down here). I'm just trying not to start on them now - must corral the Boy and go to church first.

Ivansdad & I watched "Pan's Labyrinth" last night. In part it was a sad movie but good and very lovely. It is set in the aftermath of the Spanish civil war. The Boy is too young to see it, I think, because the violence is too real, both casual and brutal and very matter-of-fact.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 23, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I thought Pan's Labyrinth was one of the best movies last year, but I'm not sure *I'm* old enough to have seen it.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Since people here are talking about the Saudi royal family this morning...this from our own op-ed pages...an opinion piece about King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia's sponsorship of a United Nations conference on interfaith dialogue.

Two grafs:

The public practice of any religion other than Islam is forbidden in Saudi Arabia. Religious police strictly enforce Wahhabist doctrine. “It's like apartheid South Africa having a conference at the U.N. on racial harmony,” Ali al-Ahmed, a Shiite Muslim dissident from Saudi Arabia based in Washington, told the International Herald Tribune.

Critics suspect Abdullah's real objective is the creation of a global blasphemy law. Some Islamic leaders support such a law that would outlaw statements deemed offensive to their faith — and that runs counter to Western rights of free speech.
***

If you ask me, Dowd's interview with Feinstein, with a dateline of San Francisco on her op-ed today, is hardly letting someone else do her research. If you've seen a trailer for the Nov. 26 opening of the movie, it seems likely that Penn may be nominated for an Academy Award for his portrayal of Harvey Milk. Then again, the film "Brokeback Mountain" was left by the wayside by the august Academy.

Posted by: laloomis | November 23, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Yoki! I'm running a little late... I'll be there in a few minutes. I did find a beautiful bottle of Prosecco for later in the day.

See you soon!

Posted by: -TBG- | November 23, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey... y'all think Joel's going to the Redskin game today in Seattle? Maybe that's his new beat.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 23, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Boodle. Just got home a little while ago. Checked e-mail but haven't backboodled, so I have no idea what kind of trou8ble you've got into -- or gotten me into. I assume the bunker is OK, but dread making an inspection.

Will be here on and off the rest of the day. Cooking TWO pot roasts, etc., prior to the big game.

Was there any leftovers from the virtual brunch?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 23, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

'mudge, brunch has barely started, I'm all flustered between running to answer the door and take people's coats and the kitchen to be sure everything is at peak delightfullness. Come on over! There are enough Boodlers here that they can do door duty. Watch out, the large dogs will get their hair all over your trousers in their frenzy of greeting!

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, didn't you get all those extra coat trees I faxed over???

*rechecking the outbound fax log* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 23, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Scotty, forgot to check the incoming. They've arrive safely, and I'm very glad to have them.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, the Bloody Marys are delicious thank you...

[bc slowly stirs the hollendaise, tastes it and puts a pinch more red pepper in while and keeping an eye on the eggs, CaBacon and English Muffins]

Tina, I was thinking the same thing about Joel - that he was in Seattle to catch the Washington DC NFL Franchise on an away week. The lenghts some people will go to to see Burgundy and Gold without paying The Danny $7 for a plastic bottle of Miller Lite (though he's getting plenty anyway from his take of the gate, the TV rights, advertising, etc....).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 23, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Ahem.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 23, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I believe I just lost the last hour to a grits coma.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 23, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Who says a constant straight wind from the south at 25 miles an hour blows no good? It blew me North just in time for brunch. I've got the orange juice and champagne, and now I'm ready for a grits coma.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 23, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hello, friends. I've been to Sunday school and church today, and enjoyed it so much. I'm a little worried about our pastor. He is so thin and frail, and his son brought him to church this morning. He moved as if in pain.

Scotty, Mudge, Martooni, Slyness, and all, hope the weekend is going good.*waving*

Yesterday I walked to the drug store. This is not close to my apartment. At one point, I wanted to lay down in the street, that's how bad it hurt. Too cold to do that, so I kept pushing and finally got there. I'm going to try and do more of that. It lifted my spirits and the pain eased off.

Yoki, that brunch sounds so delicious. Cheese and grits, one can't go wrong with a menu like that.

It has warmed up a couple of degrees, nothing to write home about. Deep chill in the air, but oh, so, sunny. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Time to make bread.

Almost forgot...

I watched the news program on CNN called GPS, and I didn't realize our economy is in such dire straits. I mean I knew it was bad, but not the extent. This program had a round table discussion with Tom Friedman, a guy from Treasury, can't remember his name, and a lady from Princeton, and they just laid it out there. Didn't hold a lot back, and it seems to me, President-elect Obama will have his work cut out for him. These folks were even talking about pushing up the Inauguration so President-elect Obama can begin to work. If our country is in that bad a shape, and I don't think these folks are lying, why is President Bush still doing the President thing? If two months is too long to start to work, can we up the Inauguration?

Friedman made the comment that when he goes in resturants and see all these people eating, he said he wants to ask them, "why aren't you home eating tuna"? He says they don't realize how bad it is. And I suspect he may have a point about the not knowing.

I hope and pray that the newly elected President can turn this around, but I hope everyone remembers what he has inherited, and memories don't get dull when we see daylight again.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 23, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Missed brunch but am here eating lovely leftovers. Some are napping, others frolicking in the snow with Yoki's doggies.

I brought treats from Maryland for Yoki's holiday cooking:

one lb of backfin crab meat
case of Old Bay Spice to give as gifts
secret recipes for crab cakes and hush puppies from the Calvert House Inn

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 23, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

*lying on my back on the floor, moaning softly*

I think it might have been the smoked salmon on the potato pancakes. Or the Irish soda bread. The eggs Benedictine [sic]. Or the three bloody Marys with the prosecco chasers. Maybe the grits casserole. Or perhaps some semi-lethal combination thereof. I am sooooooooooooo full.

*burp*

Sorry. Couldn't help it. In some countries that's supposed to be a compliment.

Andy Reid benched donovan McNabb in the second half, and I am barely able to raise my head to utter a weak protest or groan of astonishment. And am amazed at the Titans score-- omni and LiT may com,e up golden on that one.

Got 7.5 pounds of rump roast and a ton of veggies slow-cooking in the oven after searing the meat out on the grill.

Now, just have to try to stay awake and recover from brunzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 23, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Having spent the past week working mega-overtime to prepare for DR testing this weekend and a new implementation next one, I'm so frenvious of the brunch and all the other entertaining you've been doing!

On the lighter side, I was disaster recovery testing with another software engineer. Someone had brought in South Philly's finest cannoli and when the other se and I were the only ones left and he was leaving, I said, "How often do you get to say this? Leave the gun, take the cannoli." HE laughed and punched a few keys on his phone to call up "The Godfather" theme. I'll bet he could do that for 100 movies, at least.

Posted by: -dbG- | November 23, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, *you* didn't realize how bad the economy was? I'm ready to hit the bunker before it gets repossessed now.

My one question about that tuna line-- why is Friedman going in restaurants instead of being at home eating tuna?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Apropro of nothing, I just wanted to point out that I got carded today at our local wine store whilst purchasing a bottle of sparkling French wine with which my wife and I shall celebrate two decades of marriage.

God Bless nearsighted cashiers.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 23, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Also, I hope everyone got a chance to read Rachel Manteuffel's characteristically brilliant essay in the WaPo magazine.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 23, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, RD, on your upcoming nuptial anniversary, but particularly on getting carded. At our age, that is a day-brightener.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 23, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I just realized I was in an Italian cooking mood today, pasta with a tomato-spinach-scallop sauce for lunch and a chicken cacciatore is cooking in the oven for later this week.
Tonight is the Grey cup game, that will be a Chinese inspired finger food feast.

TBG, thanks for the full page of red breasted nuthatches. It was startling, as the tiny little thing are rather solitary. Sometimes, I see the second part of the pair nearby but they come at the feeder one by one.
I saw a Cooper's hawk this morning during the VLP's long walk, it was perched about 8ft high in a small tree and took off when i was about 20ft away. I had a good 5 minutes to look at it, it was probably a bird from the North; they are not afraid of people as they haven't met any yet. It's a beautiful bird I haven't seen in a while. Many, many years ago a Cooper crashed in a window of a cottage I was staying in. It broke the thick window but fractured its skull and beak in the process. It was something else to handle this powerful flier.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 23, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Rollo had me rolling, yes.

Thanks for the eagle-eye, RD.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow, and the credit card industry is bad HERE...

A story about a pyramid credit-card scheme in Columbia.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

DR testing, dbG? Something to do with knitting, gardening and naming obscure Saskatchewan place-names acted in charades?

Did I pass?

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod

When I say I didn't know, I mean the details, some of the intricate stuff that one does not put together unless exposed to that information. I can see perfectly well what a bad economy is doing, in my life, in the lives around me, but didn't have specific concerning the bigger stuff. The "why's" of it all. I'm sure in that news program I did not get all the information that is to be had, just a little. All of it would probably send me into shock.

As for Friedman's comment concerning the tuna, I think he was talking about looking inside from the outside, and if not, yours is a legitimate question to ask.

They did talk about just going ahead and making it a trillion dollar debt, and then selling that debt. Or maybe it was two trillion? I don't know, with numbers that high, I'm lost.

And as for me, and poor people like me, this is an everyday thing for us. I am thankful for what I get, and know that there are some with less, but it's old hat for many of us.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 23, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Almost forgot. I'm volunteering at the soup kitchen now. Our church provides food, and the soup kitchen is always in need of volunteers, so I'm it. One of a few. I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 23, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yoki -- I gotta tell you, I sure wish we lived closer (virtual is not nearly close enuf). That menu sounded so scrumptious.

I started making calendars today (well, really just one, since I didn't have enough paper to make more than one) for holiday gifts. Each month includes a nice big picture (suitable for eventual framing) of one of my Africa pictures. I was skeptical a year ago about whether the glossy paper, which I had bought by mistake, would work. It's really gorgeous. But this stuff isn't cheap, and the ink cartridges aren't cheap, either. Glad it's only once a year that I do this. It's fun to do, really.

I'd better go see what the Redskins are up to (otherwise, Mudge will make me write a thesis about loyalty or sumpin).

Toodles.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 23, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Somebody who runs a small business (and is retired also I think) was saying he wouldn't vote Obama because he was worried his policies would hurt small businesses.

I explained the last 8 years and how costs have skyrocketed for businesses due to increased rent, food, and health insurance prices, credit card fraud.

I pointed out that even when businesses were paying employees more, they were still seeing their standard of living decline sharply; that my old company had to pay increasingly more for health insurance and that meant less money for employees' salaries.

I said I knew his anxiety because I had been living it the last eight years. The difference was that his worst anxieties were unlikely to come true, while mine DID.

So yes I agree with you-- it's old hat. The economy took a nosedive 7 years ago and only pretended to recover somewhat in segments.

You experienced the increased cost of living, and the anxiety about whether you can make ends meet next month or next year. Me too.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

RD

Ater meeting you, I can see why that happened to you. I'll bet it was kind of nice though. Congratulations on your anniversary? You and JA, look awfully young to be old married dudes anyway.(smile)

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 23, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, RD. And many more happy years together.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, this is interesting. We don't have to go any further than the 1 p.m. games to conditionally award omni this week's tiara. 10 games have been played so far, and he lerads, 8-2, while bc is 7-3 and LiT and I are 6-4. Now, in the next five games right now, we've all picked the same teams, so no matter how they turn out, omni will hold his one game lead over bc.

The only thing that could change is the Monday night game, when omni has the Packers (as do LiT and me) and bc has the Saints. If the Saints win, the best bc can do is tie for the tiara. If the packers win, omni gets the crown, and bc joins LiT and me in the three-way tie for second. So we won't know anything more about this week's winner until midnight or so tomorrow.

*&^%$#&^%$# rookies.

*stomps away grumbling about beginner's luck*

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 23, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Way to go, omni.

Thought I was having a good week - but I guess it's not good enough.

Once again, sole possession of the Tiara eludes me. My precious...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 23, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I find it hard to believe that it has been 20 years. Then I glance over at that young man with my last name sitting in the living room and snarfing down half a pizza for dinner. Suddenly, it starts to make more sense.

Every once and a while someone will comment that I look younger than I am. (We can clearly exclude "clean living" as a cause.) But it has been a long time since I was carded. My understanding is that this establishment cards anyone who might be under 30.

I will take this.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 23, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

RD, Congrats on the anniversary and the carding. When I do get carded, I just get the apologetic shoulder shrug that says "I'm sorry, the boss makes me card everybody."

Posted by: yellojkt | November 23, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, ride the wave, RD...if they card you, you are young, period. Happy Anniversary!

The hubby and I went for a long walk yesterday, exercising the faithful beagle and we were discussing how fortunate we are that we have recession proof jobs. Everything I read makes me fearful, but the hubby and I both agreed that we feel as though Obama is the right person at the right time. The good Lord knows I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy with the hole that has been dug by 43, but I believe he's up to it. I am sure that some folks would say that I am a kool-aid drinker. All I know is that I felt an incredible sense of relief watching his "60 Minutes" interview last weekend. I mean, it seemed like he had a clue, in contrast to the current WH occupant.

This article made me think of CQP as she has posted about helicopter parents in the past. Some of my parenting choices are vindicated!

Posted by: Kim1 | November 23, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary, RD_P & the lucky Mrs. P!! *confetti*

Well, the Titans certainly won't be threatening the Pats' perfect regular season... But I wish they could have kept the suspense going a couple more weeks. *shrug* The Patriots are just ridiculously resiliant this year, I echo many commentators in commending Belichick for a masterful coaching job.

And speaking of "60 Minutes," let me suggest the appelation "infotainment" for one of tonight's pieces, which I won't bother watching. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 23, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Meant to add earlier - congrats on the double decade anniversary, RD.

I hope you and the Mrs. take some time to enjoy yourselves.

Had a sneaking suspicion that the Washington NFL Franchise was going to have a tough time in Seattle, and Seattle's leading 10-7 in the 3rd quarter.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 23, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's see if I can catch up here!

Congratulations, RD!

Yoki, would it were so. Far more interesting if it were. Disaster Recovery testing. Where we sit in a building which is theoretically destroyed, users run queries on production servers, then we declare those servers unusable and switch to ones far, far away, and the users run the same queries, all of us praying for the same results.

I have found questions about assumptions that the phone lines will stay up, why all our DR servers are close to each other (although 6 hours away from us) and on the same electrical grid and floodplain, stuff like that, are unwelcome.

10 hours of open phone lines between 75 people in 15 locations, being constantly bombarded with IMs, desk phone on speaker, cell phone going off constantly. At the end, staying later than the users do to do all the switching back to production servers.

Do I know how to have a good time, or what?

Posted by: -dbG- | November 23, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a thrill a minute, dbG. When do you get time off?

Kim, great article. I never enjoyed playing with children, so I didn't. The dottirs seem to be well-adjusted, productive people. At least they don't live with me!

I think I'm mostly through re-entry, having put stuff away and sorted through all the mail. Being away from home for ten days can be fun, but dealing with the consequences definitely is not.

RD, congratulations on the carding episode and the anniversary. Amazing how time flies, isn't it?

Posted by: slyness | November 23, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, dbG, I know *way* too much about that stuff.

It was always important for me to make clear exactly what failure scenario(s) we were testing for, and to set expecations rather than leaving things up to individual assumptions.

Oy, the pre-meetings going through MS Project plans consisting of 1000+ tasks... I'm getting crosseyed just thinking about it.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 23, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank you all for coming to breakfast. It was so much fun! All the contributions of drink, both alcoholic and otherwise, were most welcome; the culinary standards of this circle are very high, clearly, with bc excelling himself and dr's buiscuits just plain good food. slyness's flowers made all the difference to the decor, and CP's thoughtful gifts are delightful.

The last of us has trailed out now, and I wish everyone godspeed on their ways home.

I'm now just finishing some simple supper preparations, physics-boy and #2 are with us tonight, and all is well.

I'm just waiting for an email I've been expecting (and am frankly getting a bit anxious aboute) and then I'll have an early night, and see you all tomorrow.

Thanks again for sharing your Sunday with me.

10-3 Montreal, ack! Actually, I am serene because it makes no nevermind to me which team wins, Montreal has my heart but I pay taxes in Calgary :)

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes, children tend to amuse themselves, especially with pots and pans and other forbidden items, Slyness. That's more fun anyway.

However reading to kids and general promotion of language does pay off, especially for the children that are at highest risk for language delay issues.

Geniuses aren't forcefed the world from day 1.

Although Mozart and other child prodigies benefitted from early training and exposure to their craft by their parents, they didn't start playing baby pianos before they could crawl.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, slyness. No time off. :-(

bc, everything's documented, everything's planned. MHO is just that the decider's vision isn't wide-range enough.

Past time for bed, y'all have a good night!

Posted by: -dbG- | November 23, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Interesting little bit on who shot down MacCain in Vietnam.

Posted by: Braguine | November 23, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Redskins win, 20-17. Portis had 6 first-down carries, 143 yards, season high 29 carries.

Meanwhile, we all rack up two more losses, as Carolina and Denver both get upset.

Yoki, thank you for having us all for brunch. As a hostess, you am the mostest. Sleep tight.

I see I made a mistake in looking at the picks. Omni picked the Chargers over the Colts. If the Colts win, omni is tied with bc -- and so it will come down to the Saints game. But if the Chargers win, omni wins the tiara tonight.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 23, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Brag, we got a major problem with that Russian's story. He claims the two planes that overflew his bridge were F-4 Phantoms, and that he shot the second one down, being McCain's plane.

However, everyone knows McCain was flying an A-4 Skyhawk, not a Phantom.

A Russian missile office ought to be dead solid perfect on his aircraft recognition, even after all these years.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 23, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

And, AND -- the Lions lost again. I mean, not that we're counting, but they are indeed on their way to a poifict season, yanno?

*sigh*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 23, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Rachel Manteuffel's column, I believe I'd be willing to pay some very serious money to see her perform a Charro cootchie-cootchie dance culminating in a (very rare) display of Mr. Rollo during an off-off-Rock-Creek-Park adaption of "Night of the Living Dead."

Anybody got a clue what {lcub}hellip{rcub} means?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 23, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I can assure that in my house, such items are by no means forbidden, they are encouraged as playthings. A couple of stacking bowls and free access to the lower kitchen cupboards is a given, here.

Some of the happiest hours I ever spent with the goils when they were crawling was when I was prepping food and they were crawling around, exploring and delighting themselves by putting tins of food into pots, or pouring dried beans from measuring cup to bowl, and discovering that you can't put a big bowl into a little one.

I have a particular memory of this with #1. She was just up from her nap, a winter afternoon, and I was peeling beets in that cold last-of-the-light you get at 3:00 pm in December, and she was gurgling happily as she cruised around experimenting. I think it was that same instance when she crawled into a cupboard and slowly and obviously pulled the door too, and I could hear that deep belly-chuckle that babies do when I exaggeratedly hunted for her, saying "where is #1? I believe I must have misplaced her! Is she in the fridge? No. Did she go down the kitchen drain? Nope, not there!" When I finally opened the door behind which she was hiding she was nearly hysterical with laughter. Ah, good times, good times.

I held up a freshly peeled beet to the window, and saw the deep red watered-silk effect, and the kitchen smelled wonderfully of earth and warmth, and I thought, "This is about as purely happy a moment as I have ever had." I was very glad to recognize it while it was happening.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Sounds beautifully blissful, Yoki.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, the artist reminds us to breath deeply and enter fully into life.

Bravo, Mastra!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 23, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,
what I find interesting is not about the who shot McCain, but the admission that Soviet officers where in Nam.

I knew one Soviet officer who visited Vietnam while I was in Laos and had some interesting stuff to tell and gave me the idea for a yet to be published novel (Temple Drums).

Posted by: Braguine | November 23, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, you are a perfect hostess, and it was a wonderful party. Thanks for having us!

And isn't it a great thing when you're happy and you know it? The joy of little ones cannot be surpassed.

Posted by: slyness | November 23, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

*I clap my hands!*

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Note to self: spend more time with Braguine and learn some of his stories.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

The ascendancy of the West (by god) may be complete tonight. Stamps take the Grey Cup (for the first time in a long time). Go, Stamps! (playing the Charge on trump and drum, loud, and thundering up and down the field of victory on my steed).

What is the difference between a war horse and cart horse?

A war horse darts into the fray.

Not that I really care about sports, you understand.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Thank you very much for brunch. (and the early Bloody Marys.)

And Calgary wins the 96th Grey Cup. Much cheering in the household of dr

Posted by: --dr-- | November 23, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

High Five Yoki!

Posted by: --dr-- | November 23, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks dr. This is why my family usually forbids me to watch the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup games. I get bit exercised. Not healthy.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

High five, dr!

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for sharing that wonderful memory, Yoki. It is always good to be reminded how precious a perfectly ordinary moment can be.

After a very long weekend I am off to wind the Boy down for bed. Buenos noches to all, fondue, and vaya con queso.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 23, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Today I was messing about Youtube oldies. Ran into Strangers in the Night . . .

1966 . . . An airline pilot flying the Clark AFB-- Saigon segment, I sat in the patio of a small hotel in the Philippines trying to cure the loss of my voice with a stiff drink.

An arriving crew was checking in.I didn't know any of them.

She scanned the patio and her gaze settled on me just long enough to give me a shiver. She was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Several times her gaze returned to me as she chatted with the outbound crew.

The outbounds left and the inbounds vanished into their rooms. I tried to clear my throat with another drink. She walked into the patio, came to my table and said, "I'm Alice."
I stood and tried to speak. Nothing came out. I gestured for her to sit down..
We had a drink. She told me she was from New York and that she was tired. She laughed when I grunted trying to speak.

The next day, I flew to Saigon and back. My voice was returning. I asked about Alice's crew. They had left.

In my room I found a teddy bear lying on my bed. It had a note pined to it's chest. It said: I like strong, quiet men.

Youtube is a bad thing.

Posted by: Braguine | November 23, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Yoki-if it takes me the rest of my life I will find a way to work that war horse/cart horse joke into a conversation. ( Assuming the people I tell it to are in sufficiently good health to stand the strain of laughing so hard.)

Thank you, thank you for the best brunch ever, and so gracious of you to send leftovers along with everyone.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 23, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

So glad, frostbitten, that you liked breakfast (anytime!) and the joke. It's been one of my favourites for a long time. To tell the trust, my paternal grandmother used to tell that joke. An old one, but perennially fresh, if you love the way language *works.*

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Hello Everyone!!!

Congrats to dr and yoki on the grey cup victory...High fives all around.

I had a blast at the ravens /eagles game,glad we won and survived the cold,it was a balmy 44 at game time,2 degrees colder then my house when I got home.now up to 53 in the livingroom.

I will write more in a bit....need another log in the stove....brrrr

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 23, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, thanks for hosting the brunch, and for that wonderful story.

Ya got me thinking of some of those wonderful moments with my daughters, too.

Thanks for that.

Looks like the Stamps are Champs.
Congrats to all of you Calgary fans.

Hopefully, there will be a reasonable amount of spontaneous overly exuberant public celebrations; drunkenness, couch burnings and nudity in moderation, as with all things, of course.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 23, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

*Abashed*

Sorry, I didn't quite get the joke, Yoki. Was that the full version?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

This Sarah Vowell piece featured at McSweeney's reminded me of the boodle. Books bought, books read, reading begetting reading.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 23, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

It was, Wilbrod. If you like, I shall email you the answer that hearing-types come up with in their minds and then snort with laughter. I think it is a hearing-type joke, though, so apologize for cluttering your Boodle with it.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

bc,you forgot the bus rocking and the all night party...singing Queen and dancing in the streets

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 23, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Boodle-dudes, it is well below freezing here. Public nudity is out of the question (this isn't the Stanley Cup, after all, which happens in June -- what is wrong with this picture?)! I can hear the horns honking all over town though, so I guess one or two Calgarians watched the game at taverns.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm normally good with puns, but sometimes I'm lost because I don't have the appropriate cultural reference, so please e-mail me, Yoki.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 23, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Saw Vince Gill tonight at the Birchmere and wow... that guy is quite an entertainer. Great stories and great singing with a small acoustic group (his guitars, a keyboard, a small drum and a tall bass).

I missed the Redskin game, but I guess I'll watch some highlights on the Tivo tomorrow.

gwe... I thought of you while we watched the Ravens beat the Eagles today. I hope you had as much fun as we did watching it on TV.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 23, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes I did tbg, the tailgating was great,the crowd was awesome and loud,but when philly is in town,unfortunately there were plenty of fights,so many that they stop selling beer,just 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter.I was done drinking by then and didn't care.

Also got to see a piece of history as Ed Reed broke his own NFL record by returning and interception 108 yards for a td.

videoId=09000d5d80cb702b

A glorious day for football

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 23, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, since I am working from a new computer I don't have my full contacts list. Please email me at dbioyoki@hotmail.com and I'll send the resolution immediately.

Posted by: Yoki | November 23, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Done. Thanks for safeguarding my ability to sleep, Yoki.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I googled it, and the joke makes more sense with "dray-horse."

"Dray" helps trigger the mental transposition of consonants between dart and fray.

Not a word I often think about.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Braguine, great story. Tell us more of your stories.

RD, congratulations on your anniversary and the carding.

I was about 6 years old when I started buying Guinness Stout for my father. Only on occasions. My father worked on our rubber estate in the mornings. In the afternoon, he would go to town and have coffee with his friends. On his way home, he would buy himself 1 bottle of black Guinness Stout. Whenever he forgot and came home without the beer or he didn’t go to town, I’ll be the one who would go buy it. I was the designated errand girl and that lasted for about 7 years. After that it was my niece’s turn. My brother-in-law had died so my sister came home and stayed with us. Her oldest daughter was 8 years old then. Nice age to be an errand girl so the beer purchase responsibility fell on her.

Those were the days. Our drinking age now is 21, so 6 or 8 years old kid can’t buy beer anymore.

Posted by: rainforest1 | November 24, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

As recently as a few hours ago, I was assured that I am not a serious person because I didn't "understand" the gravity of the situation involving some under-aged chemical experimentation.

Yeah, maybe.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 24, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobsewell | November 24, 2008 2:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't actually get angry very often, but I'm very (very, very) close to being angry with someone in my house at the moment.

I apologize for the link sent out above under my handle. Somebody here (with great keyboard skills and not much else, apparently) thought that it might be amusing. I don't agree.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 24, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Morning, Boodle. Breakfast buffet is keeping warm in the administration building, expect to see bc in his fetching overalls any time now. Time's a'ticking, friends.

bobsewell, sorry you had a bad night of it.

We're nearly at D-2 on the project. A busy day ahead to move us far, fast. May need some Boodle mojo for a word day that will start at 5:30 and end, well, when it does. Quite possibly we shall bend the space-time continuum so that Monday has more than 24 hours.

Heard a lot of sirens in the night, so I guess the Cup celebrations may have involved several incidences of bad judgement involving motor vehicles.

Have a great day, friends.

Carry on.

Posted by: Yoki | November 24, 2008 6:14 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Monday...supposed to go up to 54 today, with rain. Well, it could be a lot worse, I suppose.

The weekend wedding turned out well enough. During her speech at the reception, the bride managed to thank everyone who had a hand in it...except my wife, who made the bridal veil. Just ditziness on the bride's part, I'm sure. But still, my wife was a bit put out.

Nothing on the op-ed page worth mentioning. But there is this piece by Shankar Vedantam, at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/23/AR200811 The question is who runs govt. better,political appointees or career civil service types. Guess who wins.

"In an unusual new analysis, another political scientist compared the Bush administration's own evaluations of more than 600 government programs with the backgrounds of the 242 managers who ran those programs. David E. Lewis, who is now at Vanderbilt University, found that three-quarters of the managers administering the programs were political appointees while a quarter were career civil servants.

The political appointees were better educated, on average, than the civil staff. Many had stellar records in the private sector or on the campaign trail. Side by side, the political appointees just looked like a much smarter bunch than the careerists.

When it came to performance, however, the bureaucrats whipped the politicals: Programs administered by civil servants were significantly more likely to display better strategic planning, program design, financial oversight -- and results. These findings, remember, were based on the Bush administration's own evaluation system -- the Program Assessment Rating Tool, administered by the Office of Management and Budget.

Lewis and Moynihan said presidents often forget that while political appointees may be whip-smart operatives, it is the career civil staffers who hold institutional knowledge about agencies -- and that the bureaucrats tend to stick around longer than the appointees. For all the hatred that political candidates aim at the Washington bureaucracy during campaigns, political interference rather than bureaucratic inertia appears to be the central driver of governmental incompetence."

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 24, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh, 'morning, Yoki. Always pleased to have you on the Dawn Patrol. Don't know where everybody else is.

Gotta run.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 24, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Sounds like a good time was had by all, Yoki. In real life, I'm sure it would be a blast. I'm up and dressed, and have been so for some time. I'm going to try the walking deal again. Just wanted to wait for a little light on the endeavor.

Scotty, Mudge, Martooni, Slyness, good morning to all. *waving*

In the news we're still talking finance. I went to see my dad last night, and I knew he was going to say, "told you so", and he did. He's been saying for months, well longer, that the economy was bad, and that people did not know just how bad it was. He still says Bush is the worse President he's ever seen. My dad says they're calling it a recession, but the word is "depression". My dad was around for the first one.

Have a great day, folks. The weather person is calling for rain here. It isn't quite as cold as it has been. Keep warm.

Time to walk.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 24, 2008 6:29 AM | Report abuse

'morning boodle. Congrats Yoki and dr, the better team won, as it is usually the case in that sport.
It's not as cold this morning but snow and rain is expected. At least if it were snow we could start doing winter sport.

We won't have a 11-0 vs 0-11 game next Thursday but it won't be the Lions' fault.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 24, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Happy Monday, all! At least it should be short week for most of us.

Congrats, Yoki, on the win, and hope the bad judgment didn't cause too many casualties.

Busy week ahead. I made myself a list of the things I must do today - paying the vehicle tax bill is the first item on it.

A friend is coming with the materials for us to make Advent banners for the lecterns in the sanctuary. We should have done this weeks ago but now are getting around to it. Since Advent starts next Sunday, we are cutting it close enough.

Mudge, I'm glad to see that there's a study to confirm what we all know about bureaucratic competence. I promise I won't say anything more on the subject!

Posted by: slyness | November 24, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

mudge,
I saw 'Rachel Getting Married' this weekend. At least you aren't that family.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 24, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

Congradulations RD & spouse, hope the first 20 years was just the beginning of a very strong, long and endearing marriage. Blessings to you both.

Sorry I missed Yoki's brunch, good food, good friends, good times.

TBG, thanks for the postpoints link, must admit that I gave up paper newspapers several years ago, don't miss them at all. Still get all the gift catalogues, and still enjoy them muchly. They go into the recycle bin after a scan or two.

Big squabble at the feeder, morning dove and ladderback, looks like the woodpecker won, but am sure the dove will be back to camp out for a turn.

Posted by: VintageLady | November 24, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Well, it was indeed winter jacket time, if a touch warm, on the way to Dawn Patrol duty this morning, with a delightful sunrise to greet me at the office.

It was so very nice of Mr. Hasselback to immediately give the Redskins the oblate spheroid back after Mr. Betts had complicated the end of the game last night. Good show, ay wot?

And it's becoming quite obvious that additional insulation is required at the NukeHaus, and soon. *SIGHHHH*

*back-to-the-grind-but-only-for-a-short-while-this-week-and-looking-forward-to-the-usual-feasting-as-I-seek-out-more-caffeine Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 24, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mudge, for pointing out that article about our Glorious and Most Supremely Beneficent Federal Civil Servants. (Huzzahs all around.)

One of the more useful things WaPo has done lately is create the "Federal Page," which compiles news of special interest to us Federales.

And note that this page summarizes the daily performance of the Thrift Savings Program at the bottom of the page, thus making the achievement of fiduciary despair especially quick and easy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 24, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Congradulations should probably be Congratulations, it's not really ignorance, just my southern accent.....

Anyway, Best Wishes, RD & Spouse. :-)

Posted by: VintageLady | November 24, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

HippoVersary to the RD household,

SN, let's have an insulation party first at your place and then mine. Cue Pink Panther theme.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 24, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary RD and spouse. We were in NY state over the weekend visiting daughter of “S” and family. I’m glad I’m not doing Thanksgiving dinner this year as it will take a couple of days to catch up on the chores not done over the weekend. Interesting article in today’s Boston Globe about Thanksgiving and our continuing misconceptions about Native people.

Glad it’s a short week. I haven’t started Christmas shopping yet, which is not a good sign for me. Loved the pictures of Seattle, Joel. I’ve never been there and now I want to go.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 24, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodlers!

Slow start this morning. Working on synopsis for a manuscript I finished last week. Probably wasted effort as publishing biz is in the dumps.

Have a good Monday, everyone.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | November 24, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Career Day has gotten out of hand in the District:

Posted by: yellojkt | November 24, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle!

Just checking in before heading out for the major Thanksgiving grocery shopping trip.

I'm off this week. Aaaahhhhh (contented sigh of relief). It should be smooth sailing for Turkey Day preparations. There is much food to be made.

If you like, I'll share my menu.

I'll check back later today.

Posted by: Moose13 | November 24, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Considering that there's next to no one in the office, why was there so much traffic congestion this morning? Are people so silly that they'd consider beginning their holiday travel during Rush Hour? Sheesh.

Some decent football yesterday, including the Colts squeaking by the Bolts in last night's late game, with a Viniteri kicking the game-winning 51 yard FG in a play that started with three seconds left in regulation.

On a purely speculative note, only a real paranoid would suggest that Hasselbeck threw that last pick as a gift -- a calculated move to have Washington pick him up after the season. Since this is Holmgren's last, it's likely that the new Seattle Head Coach will bring in new staff and new players, and Hasselbeck will be looking for a place to play out his career. So far, it's working for Sean Alexander, isn't it?

But, I'm not that paranoid, am I?

Sorry to hear that there's too much revelry in the streets after the Stamps' Grey Cup win yesterday. I didn't check to see if any of the arrests involved nudity, but having done it, er, I mean, having *seen* it in DC after a Washington Uber Bowl victory...

After reviewing the above para, I am willing to state for the record that I have never been arrested for - or in the state of - public nudity.

Thank you.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 24, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Getting pretty PO'ed at the WaPo ITY people. I just had to re-sign in again a few minutes ago. For no good reason, the system refused to let me post until I registered or signed in -- even though I already was. But it had defaulted back to the sign-in stage. Happened on the WaPo home page, too, when I went to open a story link.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hey, Moose, of course we want to know the menu. You've been around here long enough to know how we are about food on this Boodle.

Wow, badsneaks, those docents at Plimoth are pretty agressive, aren't they? Kind of in-your-face. But I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. And if anyone wants to see Mo Rocca and two Hooters waitresses (one of whom gets put in her place, on camera) visiting Plimoth, it'll be on Jay Leno Wednesday night.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | November 24, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Yes, remiss of me not to congratulate the Gray Cup winners up there in Canuckistan. So well done, Buckaroons, or whatever their name is.

And congrats to the Padouk's 20 years of wedded bliss.

bc, part of this morning's travel problems (though shouldn't have affected you from your location) was there was something going on at the HUD building at 7th and D, and the cops had the area blocked off. Don't know why (and we'll never read about it in the Post, since they don't publicize these incidents).

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | November 24, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Hasselbeck the really conservative one on The View? I don't keep up much with pro sports.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 24, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Mudge...make sure you've got your "cookies" set to accept or whatever your browser prefs call it.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 24, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I found some of the "residents" at Plimouth Plantation insufferable in their refusal to answer reasonable questions that would be out of character. For example, I asked the "Captain" of the Mayflower how many trips in total he made and the answer was "just this one so far". Very infuriating.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 24, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

But TBG, I didn't *do* anything! I had been reading articles and going hither and yon at will, and then bam, all of a sudden I had to register. Ditto the Boodle.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | November 24, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt, that Hasselbeck on "The View" is the Seattle QBs sister-in-law.

Mudge, it wasn't the downtown traffic this AM, it was the I-270 south and I-495 traffic that was a PITA this AM.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 24, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

'mudge;

Were they turning the HUD building into affordable townhomes?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 24, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Thanks so much for the anniversary wishes. Our actual anniversary was earlier in the month, but we are are just getting around to celebrating now as part of our Thanksgiving visit with the in-laws in Myrtle Beach.

It's a long weird story.

Anyway, my point in sharing the "carded while buying anniversary bubbly" anecdote wasn't to invite congrats (as much appreciated as they are) but to highlight what a strange time of life is that which we call "middle age." Being carded made me feel young. Being married for 20 years made me feel old.

The experience seemed to highlight my confusion about being in my late 40s. Sometimes I feel young, but sometimes old. My body still does what I want, but I have an increasingly appreciation for naps. My face is still familiar to me, but my hands are starting to look like the Crypt Keeper's.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 24, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

One can only hope, Scotty.

After bragging on the Civil Service, I'd like to point out that I just got an internal e-mail describing a Department-wide event to be held at 10 a.m. this morning. The e-mail arrived at 10:02.

Also, I received an internal e-mail for a survey about our agency's Web site. The outside consultant brought in to conduct the survey and analyze our site spelled "Web site" wrong (they had website).

*sigh*

I am surrounded by barbarians.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | November 24, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Oh, boy, I see Les Wiz has fired head coach Eddie Jordan.

Agent Zero picked a fine season to be hurt again.

Well, the checks are still good, are they not?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 24, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

SCC: increasingly *great* appreciation for naps.

Indeed, I wish I could go take one now.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 24, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Les Wiz." *sigh* That'll never be *my* nickname. *&%$#@&^% diuretics.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | November 24, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Rd, the nap thingie is NOT AGING, 'tis the Meditation Life Style, MLS, which I believe, BC is securing a patent for. TBG already owns the Greek MLS patent.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 24, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I SO want to make a Major League Soccer joke...

But that would be redundant.

*said lovingly as a lifelong soccer player and fan* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 24, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

One of my mottoes is that the US needs a siesta tradition.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 24, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | November 24, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I'm with you. I don't mind (much) signing in to post, but doing so to read a *&%$! on-line article? Meh. or Feh. Whatever.

I'm offering Amendment A to RD's "My body still does what I want..."

"But makes me pay in new and unusual ways after the fact."

But congrats on getting carded. The last time it happened in a flattering way (not the "we card everyone" scenario) was about eight years ago at Mike's American Grill. But the lights were dim. And the server was older than us.

And I must report a coincidence. I was wondering just this morning when the Wizards coach was going to be can-ex'd. And, believe me, I don't often think about the NBA.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 24, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

New kit. Looks buggy.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 24, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning all
Today is the first day of Hunting season in west by god and the guns have been blazin since dawn,I decided to stay in bed,safest and warmest place to be.I just heard six consecutive shots,so either it is a really big deer,or a bad shot or several shooting at the same buck.The next 2 weeks it is a good idea to STAY OUT OF THE WOODS!!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 24, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

A Tale of Thanksgiving with a Twist of Mormon

(to be told in several parts over several days, given that my husband is home on staycation this week).

This is the story of how how Hurricane Ike led me to to discover the writing of David Ebershoff--and of course, so much more. It's important to spend a little time at the beginning of the story before leaping forward in time.

The plan for our September vacation was to spend Monday through Wednesday at the South Lake Tahoe Marriott, part of a marketing package. How we tried to get out of this deal we'd made by phone a year ago, chiefly because of my husband's recent cancer surgery, but to no avail without some form of penalty. My husband was just healed enough to travel so we decided to stick to Plan A. The time at the lake was short given the distance we had to travel from Texas, so I thought that we should spend most of the day at the lake on Thursday before heading down Highway 50 around 5 p.m., checking into the Marriott Rancho Cordova around 7 p.m., which would use the very last of our Marriott reward points. We'd have a good night's sleep not too far from the airport, before boarding the Continental flight home, via Houston, on Friday morning.

Then Hurricane Ike picked up strength in the Gulf of Mexico, on a path toward Houston, its uncertain route ensuring that we would turn on the television just after we woke, before we would ever peek out the curtain at the sunrise and the pines and our view of the Heavenly Valley gondolas, and just before we turned in.

I had already called my old friend Linda before we flew out, establishing the possibility that the hurricane could possibly afford us more "vacation time" in California. Thursday morning, with the hurricane's forward path more certain, there was a volley of phone calls between us. She invited us to spend time in Escalon, to stay with them. I still wanted to linger at the lake on Thursday--to fulfill my desire to swim in the lake.

We gave up the reservation at the Rancho Cordova Marriott, and were able to get a room at my beloved Sutter Creek Inn on Thursday night. We would spend the night with Linda and Phil on Friday, check into the Rancho Cordova Marriott on Saturday night, and then Linda and Phil would drive to Sacramento on Sunday where we would play tourist for the day until we had to catch our midnight flight home on Sunday, provided we could fly home.

So, instead of descending the Sierra on Highway 50, we came down Highway 88, over Carson Pass, a more direct route, that roughly parallels Highway 50, to Sutter Creek and Highway 49 (the 49er Highway), and eventually Escalon.

Posted by: laloomis | November 24, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Joel, zap the 2:09

bobsewell | November 24, 2008 2:09 AM

Not SFW-- not safe for work
(or safe for wives for that matter).

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

RD-- you made me laugh with this:

"It's like being trapped between two worlds. In this way it is much like adolescence. But with creaky knees instead of acne."

I started liking naps in HS. And then again at 25. Then again lately. I normally prefer not to nap because it messes up my sleeping schedule, though.

No creaky knees for me for a while, but my shoulders are already in need of repair. Keyboards be hard labor.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Saw this story from Ottawa: man got stuck with a $94,000 bill for care of horses when they never left his own property.

Two weeks' training is not enough to identify horse welfare issues.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Some people are getting it about "the tyranny of the majority" in California and challenging Prop 8.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

With four vicious stabs
Assault and boodlery galore
...now the coup de grace!

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, new kit. I feel so dumb now.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 24, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse