Transitional Moments

Like Obama, I'm in transition. My transition will involve a wide variety of personal upgrades, improvements and accessories. I will learn a language. I will master new cooking techniques that go far beyond the traditional large-pot-of-meat-based manfood. I will develop stunning home-repair skills requiring the use of a tool belt. And already, just in the past few days, I've become the kind of person who wears a hat.

I got a nice hat in Australia, in the Outback, and if you look inside the hat it says: "Style: Wild Roo." When I wear this hat, I make contact with my inner roo. Which is wild. Totally, completely, wildly wild. In this hat I can feel myself radiating wild roo-ness. In case people fail to get the point, I hop around with hands poised in boxer mode. I got a whole new thing going here.

I'm not sure what has caused me to go so heavily into transition mode, but clearly Obama's victory is part of it. Now is a time of new beginnings, a recalibration of possibilities, an expansion of hope and a revival of the spirit. If it kills me, I will get the rose bed weeded and the porch polyeurythaned before winter hits.

This kind of thing used to seem beyond my reach. Now I'm so flush with hope I am toying with the idea of buying a new pair of khakis to replace the ones that got so raggedy at the cuffs they appeared to have been gnawed by vermin.

I know, sounds crazy! And it's not good to overreach -- usually. But if now's not the right time to overreach, and make a flying leap into the void, hurtling into space and peering down at the last moment to see that you're falling into a molten, volcanic cauldron hissing with infernal vapors, when will be?

Like Obama said (and I'm paraphrasing): This is our time, because we are the people we have kept waiting.

Change. Transition. Bodaciousness unleashed. That's what I'm talking about. We must have the courage to change, except if doing so causes any form of discomfort. I don't know about you, but I'm inspired. I'm hopping up a storm!

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 10, 2008; 8:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's First Gaffe
Next: Obamas Should Try Public School

Comments

First?

Reposting from last Boodle...

Uh-oh...

Unless you're looking for Xmas electronics bargains, of course...

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

My Outback hat just has an Outback label inside though it's black leather goes very well with my black leather trench coat. I think hopping around would break the KBG hitman vibe I'm going for.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 10, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

See? What did I tell ya?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Scottynuke, the week is only just starting.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 10, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing, bc? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Keep hopping, Joel. Just make sure to hold on to your hat.

If Scotty can repost, I can repost my response. That's what we'll do here, recreate the old boodle bit by bit...

Scotty... couldn't see that coming, eh? Just beware if you do go to Circuit City looking for Xmas deals...

Posted by: -TBG- | November 10, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't know Joel. Bodaciousness? Change? Transition? These things are good but there is no sense in getting rid of a perfectly good pair of pants.

Couldn't you applique a little plaid fabric to form a faux cuff to cover over the vermin chewed look. It would be manly and tres winter.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 10, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

So a Transition is like New Year's resolutions only without the guilt and hand-wringing over not implementing last year's resolutions?

Maybe we ought to make them more often than every eight years.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Bodaciousness Unleashed? Is that on a double feature with The Pom-Pom Girls? Why am I getting an unbidden mental image of Dolly Parton suffering from a broken bras strap wardrobe malfunction? Why am I talking only in rhetorical questions this morning?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I've been doing some transitioning over the last few years, too. None of it anything I'm very pleased about, or have any control over.

On the other hand, very glad to hear there's a new baby on board. Love that "new baby" smell (up until that moment they...well, you know).

And I'm pleased to report my beef stew made with Guinness Stout was a success (and is also my lunch today) but also a bit of a disappointment: I used an entire 20-oz. bottle of Guinness EXTRA Stout, the really heavy-duty, no-foolin'-around, X-rated, adult-supervision-required, so-dark-it-looks-like-coffee stout -- and when it was done I couldn't taste its influence. Dunno what happened. All the stoutitudiness disappeared.

I am, however, undaunted, and will continue in my efforts to achieve the heights of beef stew Valhalla. (I'm thinkin' black pepper dumplings in it???) Instead of braising the meat cubes in a pan on the stove, I browned 'em out on the grill, and that worked really well. Don't often see beef stew cubes with nice grill marks on 'em.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

How did I kill the boodle? Can someone make me stop?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Admit it, yello: if Joel had written a kit about starvation in Africa, earthquakes, bubonic plague, tax reform and HVAC codes, you'd still have had unbidden images of Pom-Pom girls and Dolly Parton's broken bra strap in your head.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Could we possibly have a non-transition-related declarative sentence today?

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Please, mudge. Give me some credit for sensitivity. Starvation in Africa makes me think of Angelina Jolie.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely, Scotty:

I stink.

And about the earlier question, is that a good thing, or bad, I would say that it depends on your perspective.

But overall, and economically, I would say all signs point to 'bad.'

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 10, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

SCC: please ignore the extra commas I festooned upon my 10:43 comment.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 10, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Great, yellojkt - transition as New Year's resolutions without the guilt. Very nice.

A combination of the presidential election result, which makes all things seem possible, and the slow creep into autumn, with a hint of winter, is encouraging me to embrace transition as well. The Boy and I have finally instituted those bike rides I've been dreaming about for years, and may someday go far enough that I can count it as actual exercise. It is cool enough to leave the windows in the house open during the day, though the remainder of the Ivansclan refers to this as "cold". Indignantly. Yesterday I raked the leaves off the patio and into the yard - I know, they're supposed to go out of the yard too but transition only goes so far - and put away some summer items which were cluttering up the place.

But I really need a hat that says "Wild Roo". Now that's an agent of change.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 10, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Reduce it first then add some dark chocolate.

Posted by: omnigood | November 10, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

yello, in your defense, I have to admit that "bubonic" is a pretty erotic-sounding word.

bc, only one extra comma. That's not so bad, festoonally speaking.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I did, omni. Had 2 oz. of bittersweet in it, too.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

bc is one of the alltime great comma-tators, I tellya.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Being a Roo has some pros and cons, I think. Playing Poohsticks and bouncing with Tigger sounds like fun.

Being bounced around the Hundred-Acre Wood in Kanga's pouch like a drumstick in a lint-filled shake-n-bake bag, not so much.

Being forced to drink malt -- well, only if it's Glenfiddich.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 10, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Mmmmm.... comma-'taters... you're making me hungry.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 10, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I truly wish I knew what you all were talking about. :-) Well, I understood about 'mudge's beef stew, sounded dark, but tasty.

Joel, consider transitioning your khakis into snappy shorts. If you want to transition, buy grey flannels, hold off on new khakis until Spring, flannels do well with blue blazers or grey tweedy things. You all wear jeans most of the time, anyway, don't you? Love dress shirts with jeans, very youthful.

Posted by: VintageLady | November 10, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I am totally inspired by the first couple "elect" -- happy for my country, too, but inspired, on a personal level. Barack and Michelle are younger than I am but they are not in a younger generation. They're in younger brother/sister territory, so they are relevant role models even though they are in a different phase of life, raising young kids. (Can I help it if I was a child bride and my nest is already empty.)

So. Here's the deal. The president elect is skinny and his wife is buff. My new years resolution is to be able to do pushups. I've never been able to do a pushup in my life, but then again, we've never had a president whose name ended in a-vowell-other-than-e before, either. It's a new day. I'm making progress already, and by January 1 I should have something to report.

Yes, we can!

Posted by: kbertocci | November 10, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

And didn't Sendak tell us about "Where the Wild Roos Are?"

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Would that be Roo-mania?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

you know white tail deer have a tendacy to look like Roos when one is tired from the work commute.I have yet to see one hop,but i figure it is only a matter of time.

Scotty any gift that the opposing team wants to give us(turnovers) we will take them. Our tough stretch starts next week when we start playing the NFC East. Jersey Giants up first next week in the meadowlands.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 10, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow, try to advise the Boodle's Master Chef only to find he already thunk of what I thunk

OK, another stab...

Try the 14.9 ounce can next time (The one with a Widget inside).

Maybe thicken with some corn starch.

Now I'm hungry....

Posted by: omnigood | November 10, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Damned stoopid Giants

Posted by: omnigood | November 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

speaking of Roo-mania... my Aussie bikinis do the same thing for me as JA's hat!!!

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of roos, there is a wallaby heading your way boko so don,t shoot if you see a deer hopping on its hind legs. Wendell the wallaby escaped when a tree fell on a fence during the October 29th snow storm. It's still on the run.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 10, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Wendell the wannabe-wild wallaby??

Widicuwous!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

MissToronto - Well, maybe they do the same thing for you... but I think I can say without risk of contradiction that your Aussie bikinis probably do something quite different for those around you.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 10, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

And you can have all this roo talk, but remember. Eeyore totally rules.

I have also been feeling the need for transitions. In my case, I broke out a brand new laboratory notebook whose first entry was 5 Nov 2008. It's a really snazzy notebook with a simulated black leather cover, shiny red ribbon, and extra smooth paper.

Plus, it's from Canada!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 10, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

whoa RD... maybe I should get one of those notebooks to match :)

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking WW... I've said too much... okay, back to work.

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

As unsettling as this study is, many of the comments are even more so...

*SIGHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Pushups, kbertocci! You can do it! I can do pushups, poorly, so I know you'll be able to as well. My challenge has been finally riding the bike. I'm not very good at it, and the Boy is improving rapidly enough that soon he'll notice. That's okay; I'm not very good at throwing balls and playing catch and rollerblading either, but I do them all with him anyway. Perhaps this is why he's under the impression I'm not well coordinated.

My big transition will be in the spring. In addition to everything I'm doing, I agreed to teach a course at a local law school. I enjoy teaching, and there are real advantages to teaching as an adjunct professor (money, alas, not among them). However, this means I'll have to actually use my brain, learning and imparting information in a different area of practice than my usual expertise. It will be good for me, as long as I don't let on to the students that I had to learn the material too.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 10, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

We export notebooks? Who knew?

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Imaginary lunch? Something indoors and warm, today, please.

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Yep, it has French writing on the label and everything. Evidently I am using a "Journal De Direction"

And it's 21.6 cm by 27.9 cm.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 10, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

This topic of transition was central to one of the panel discussions I attended Sunday afternoon at the Texas Book Festival, "Stranger Than Fiction: Me and My Memoir."

The one question I asked of the four panelists--Jeannie Ralston, "The Unlikely Lavender Queen"; Stephanie Klein, "Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp"; Robert LeLeux, "Confessions of a Beautiful Boy"; and Stephanie Elizondo Griest, "Mexican Enough: My Life between the Borderlines"--was "Could you be where you are today with your writing without the travel, the relocation?"

The one person whose memoir pulled me to this event, rather than attending a presentation by Hooman Majd about his book "The Ayotollah Begs to Differ: The Paradox of Modern Iran" (so popular that many in line were turned away) was that of Ralston, the most mature member of the four authors on the memoir panel and married to National Geographic photographer Robb Kendrick, who hails from Spur, Texas.

She says the title of her book could easily have been "What I Did for Love." Thanks to her marriage to a Texan, her life was upended when her husband insisted they move to Texas because he was depressed in New York City because he couldn't see a horizon. They moved first to Austin, which apparently was fine for Jeannie, except for some bad neighbors, which prompted the writer-photographer pair to move to Blanco, Texas, (between Austin and San Antonio) a decision that was both compromise and a negotiation. Jeannie was miserable there, until she began to grow lavender, the part of the book I'm just about to read, an effort apparently life-transforming.

I identify with the first part of her heartbreaking story more than I care to admit, since we moved from the West Coast in '94, she from New York City in '94, too. Too bad we couldn't have become friends. Today, she and her husband and two sons are living in San Miguel de Allende in central Mexico, where she is helping locals raise and market lavender.

Blogger and 33-year-old Stephanie Klein threw a dart at a map after the breakup of a bad marriage. Now she has twins, and her book about being an overweight kid is actually her second memoir, the first was the 2006 "Straight Up and Dirty." She'll be in town this Thursday for the annual Jewish Book Festival. Author Kathleen Kent, also at the festival, will also be in town that night, so it's a two-fer for San Antone.

ABC is currently developing Klein's first memoir into a comedy series; Stephanie is presently involved in writing scripts. I looked at her popular blog and she is definitely not over being away from New York City. Will she ever be?

Posted by: laloomis | November 10, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The other two panelists on the memoir panel, Griest and Leleux, are from Texas and left the Lone Star State. Leleux exited Petunia and moved to Manhattan, where he lives with his husband Michael and his mother. Not all of his first attempts at writing were successful--those pieces wrote in the third-person failed to garner much interest with publishers, he said, while those first-person accounts about life in rural East Texas with his mother found more enthusiastic acceptance. Odd that he "stole" T. Boone Pickens tentcard out of the Green Room (authors' reception area in the Texas State Capitol) and put it up on the dais along with his own!

I believe Griest, who hails from Corpus Christi is now back in Texas, but not without having traveled the world. She spoke movingly Sunday afternoon about what it's like to grow up biracial and the tough decision when in elementary school about whether to join the Anglo or Mexican-American reading group. She said she just wanted to be with "the smart kids." Her previous memoirs are "Around the Bloc; My Life in Moscow, Beijing, and Havana" and the guidebook "100 Places Every Woman Should Go." Currently, she's working on a book about silence, prompted by a small church, Lebh Shomea, near Sarita, in deep South Texas.

Posted by: laloomis | November 10, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, Snuke. I agree with most of the speeding article commenters. Speeding tickets are a form of reverse lottery. Since nearly the entire population is in violation of the law, a few random people are daily selected to pay their portion of the highway patrol's operating costs. There has to be a more economical way to use highly trained and expensive resources than having them hide behind overpasses all day long.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,

I am bringing a lovely side dish of spaghetti squash fixed ala The Sopranos, which means it is very much like Carmela's baked ziti. I have a nice bottle of chianti for those whose afternoon work cycle is lighter.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Yello--what, make all cars incapable of going over 70 mph for more than a minute at a time?

(I bet auto mechs like bc could do an override quite easily though).

I have strong personal feelings on speeding and reckless behavior behind the wheel. However if we allow people to drive, we MUST reserve the ability to penalize them if they're caught in any kind of traffic infraction.

The annual cost in life and limb is too high to deregulate driving.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 10, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Imaginary lunch! I'll contribute a pot of chicken and noodles. This is nice and hearty and the Chianti should work well, and perhaps Mudge has some leftover Guinness.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 10, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

From some hearsay and photographic evidence, Aussie bikinis really aren't, since they tend to be missing a bra. Does that make them a monokini?

Posted by: ebtnut | November 10, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

... maybe nanokini is a more apt description...

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Obviously this is a holy war type of issue, but most traffic tickets go arbitrarily to people that I guess are rarely more than one standard deviation above the average traffic speed. The lunatic reckless driver that is weaving through the lanes rarely gets targeted which is why the schadenfreude is so intense when one does get caught.

It serves society no good to ingrain a scofflaw attitude from the minute a learner's permit is granted. In most non-rush hour DC traffic, someone driving the speed limit on the highways is as much a danger to himself and others as the person doing 90.

If anything, there is too little enforcement in areas where safety would actually be enhanced such as school zones and areas congested with pedestrians.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Which makes wonder what a trikini would look like.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

As for speeding, it's difficult to say. I tend to drive quite quickly and efficiently but I don't engage in 'chasing' games. Those are the dangerous types on the road... and those absent minded individuals that drive through reds.

Almost snuffed once by someone on Thanksgiving day... she was obviously thinking about her out-laws coming rather than the traffic intersection ahead. Or else she was on Prozac, who can say!

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I would google "Australian bikini" but I have enough issues with the work filter as it is.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

A girl I went to college with ordered a string bikini out of the back of Cosmo and won several trips and a lot of cash at various bar Best Bikini Contests. Somehow I don't think the bikini was responsible for her winnings.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, are you referring to a gag? okay, seriously, back to work!

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

femtokini?

attokini?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

By golly, folks, this is a rather rum go, isn't it?

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

my goodness, what have I started here... back to work!!!!

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Aye, aye, ma'am. I'm just saying that the corporate internet filter blocks a plethora of sites that fall under the Swimwear/Lingerie rubric. For some reason the powers that be assume these can't possibly be work-related. For the most part they assume correctly.

Thank goodness, WaPo counts as a legitimate news source.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking more along the lines of "willing to tri- anything".

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

time to turn on the A/C.

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, the soup is lovely and holds up well to the chianti. Yoki, such a lovely table you have set. Tell me about the china and linens....charming, mid-Century modern patterns perhaps?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I got yellojkt's trikini all confused with the Trilateral Commission. In a bikini. The horror.

The problem with asking people to correlate safety with speed limits is that in many states people are aware that at one time speed limits were an artificial construct. Highway speeds in particular reflected policy decisions rather than any scientific assessment of the speed at which it was safe to drive on a given road. Spped limits may now reliably reflect safety concerns; I don't know. I do know that I have no reason to believe it.

I also know that, at least on major interstate highways, speeding is merely a cause to stop persons suspected of transporting illegal controlled substances. Those highway patrol guys on the highway I normally drive will never stop me in a million years, even when I'm traveling 10 miles over the limit, because I'm not who they're looking for. They know it and so do I. I venture to suggest that most law enforcement officers would not want to see a bunch of law-abiding citizens obeying the speed limit, since it will considerably cut their ability to justifiably stop suspicious vehicles.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 10, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, oooh, I can bring some warm sugar cookies, right out of the oven! Mr seasea is baking them now. Then we can all try to do pushups.

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

SeaSea, do thank Mr.Sea for these lovely crumbles. I adore them hot from the oven. Pass the milk, please Yoki, and yes, the homely brown mug is perfect.

Mmmm.MMMM...MMMMM

I feel a push up coming on.....one hand or two?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sad news - Miriam Makeba passed away today -

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

And so has the Boodle...sigh...

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame me. I was told to sit on my hands. btw, other futile google searches at my work are "trikini" (an actual swimwear style involving tummy and side cut-outs) and "Miss Toronto" (which also seems to involve swimwear somehow).

Sorry for the interruption. Please continue the garden party. There will be scones, won't there? I do love cranberry scones.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I just received the following e-mail:
* * * * *
Last Chance to Register - Ensure the Success of your CMDB Project

Join this ASG sponsored webcast featuring Forrester Research and an ASG customer about the evolution of the CMDB and the challenges that can be inhibitors to successful CMDB implementations – and more importantly, how to overcome those challenges. We will explore, through a live customer presentation, how to avoid the pitfalls of an unsuccessful CMDB implementation by using a well-defined methodology that can help you achieve quick and repeatable successes.

Join ASG and Forrester for this one-hour webcast and discover how you can:

* Plan and develop the right steps to ensure a smooth implementation process
* Build a solid and sustainable foundation for your CMDB project
* Accelerate the success of your CMDB project
* * * * *

Since I haven't the foggiest notion what a "CMDB" project might be, I guess I'm gonna have to let this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity slip away!

Posted by: bobsewell | November 10, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

For your listening pleasure -

That luncheon must be really good.

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Configuration Management DataBase

In other unrelated news:
Happy Bday Marines...oorah and Semper Fi

Posted by: omnigood | November 10, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Such a lovely day we're having in the Carolinas. And lunch sounds wonderful, but we ate at a new little bistro close near the twins' house. I had a vegetable plate. Banana pudding is one of the vegetables, so I got it to feed to them. Both lapped it up.

They were seven months old yesterday. How did that happen? They are sitting up and crawling all over the place. W has two teeth now, but P is dentally retarded still. They are so precious and cute and full of themselves.

Posted by: slyness | November 10, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

hee, hee! scones... yummy. I thought they were so bland with butter and jam... then discovered Aussie style... with whipped cream. Yum, Yum!... FYI, this has nothing whatsoever to do with trikinis! :)

Posted by: MissToronto | November 10, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

seasea - After reading the story about Miriam Makeba, who was married to Hugh Masekela, I now can't get his "Grazing in the Grass" out of my head.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 10, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Bob, the seminars ran by the American Silviculture Guild are among the best, particularly in the area of planning done by the Coniferous Management Development Board. Their research by foresters (spelled incorrectly above) is second to none.

Late to the bikini party. As long as somebody doesn't mention Borat's mankini.

Oops, sorry.

Posted by: engelmann | November 10, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The Carolinas were indeed beautiful this weekend as well. We had brunch at Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street in Durham. It was the place to be on a Sunday morning. I had a delicious shrimp, bacon and cheese quiche (hey, I never said I was a REAL man) which came with a biscuit the size of a curling stone. Largest thing I have ever seen. My wife had ginger pancakes. Quite the repast.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

slyness, you know you're in the South when banana pudding is classified as a vegetable. (Yum!)

Posted by: kbertocci | November 10, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Actually the tune cootie keeps switching between Hugh Masekela's version, and the Friends of Distinction version.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 10, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Awwww, Miriam Makeba? Saw her all the time at the Philly Folk Festival. Don't know if anybody here remembers "Pata Pata" and "The Click Song," when she made that incredible "whack!" click sound. I remember her great album, "An Evening with Harry belefonta and Miriam Makeba." Sad to say, in 1968 (not a good year for anybody) she married Stokely Carmichael (divorced him after four or five years, thank goodness). She was later married to Hugh Masakela ("Grazing in the Grass"). She was great. And a great international "troublemaker" too -- and I mean that in the finest, finest sense. Someone needs to write an appreciation of her. She was electrifying on stage. Incredible presence.

Sorry I missed imaginary lunch. I don't have any leftover Guinness, Ivansmom, but I've got lots of leftover beef stew (had more than 5 pounds of meet alone, a pound of baby red potatoes and a pound of parsnips, five or six carrots...). Also half the biscuits and half the corn pudding.

Don't know nuthin' 'bou no roo. All I know about is roux. And rue (a Yoki pome word of great merit). (And of course the infamous Dave Barry/Gene Weingarten joke ending with, "But first, a little roo-roo.")

Trying oh so desperately to clear my mind of all references to Miss Toronto's nanokini.

And failing, miserably. Very miserably.

*sigh*

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

5 pounds of meet sounds like the MBPH!

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I wish somebody (looking sternly in 'Mudge's direction) would email me with that joke. It drives me nuts, to see all the references to it, and have no clue what it is.

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that Miriam Makeba video. That led me to Ladyship Black Mombasa's stuff that led to more Paul Simon, then to Hugh Masakela, and ultimately to this.

It's really over the top -- think former Vienna Choir Boys doing a cappela glee club.

I now formally renounce you-tubing.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | November 10, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

One version, and by far not the best, is at the Weingarten FAQ:

Scroll about two-thirds of the way down.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Weingarten dissects the joke to death here:

As usual, his pronouncement is infallible.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Ha! SoC, good show.
I'm sipping an adult beverage here, the sun must be down somewhere in the world. Thinking of bikinis and monokinis past. Nokinis too, they were popular back in the day on Wreck Beach, the beach located at the foot of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.
The work day came to an end when the chain saw ran out of gas. One tankful is my daily limit. I trimmed out a couple of old lilac patches, crab apple trees and razed a couple of old honeysuckle. Ten fingers and ten toes left, it was a successful day but my a$$ is whupped thoroughly. The cutting is easy it's the transport that's killing me.
I've got to stop daydreaming and tackle that Spanish chicken I've foolishly promised for dinner tonight. That's a cut-up chicken braised in onions, tomatoes and olives. It's very good with a simple pilaf rice.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 10, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The roo-roo joke has also been discussed on Dave Barry's blog.

Are you sorry you asked yet?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Adding to the sorrow over Miriam Makeba's death. I would love to be able to speak Xhosa (the "click" language). My students and I tried to make the sound in conjunction with other, more "regular" sounds and we dissolved into laughter. She had some kind of voice on her, and I always applauded her courage and her strength. I wonder if her old vinyl albums have been put onto CDs.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 10, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

omni's right: the Marines were founded on this very day in 1775, in (who would have thought) a tavern in my beloved Fuldullfya. The place was Tun Tavern located at the intersection of Water Street and Tun Alley, on the Fully waterfront (such as it was) in what is now the Penn's Landing neighborhood in (where else?) Sout' Fully. (And no, I don't have a story. I was elsewhere that day, and had learned by then never to volunteer.) You can visit the site today by driving down (or up) I-95, because Tun Tavern is (or was) right underneath it. So when you drive past Penn's Landing on I-95, whistle "From the Halls of Montezuma") ("...to the Shores of Tripoli." And yes, I have TWO stories...but not today. Let me just say, that Lt. Presley O'Bannon was without question THE scariest jarhead I have EVER met, lemme tell ya. And that pyromaniac Decatur! Jeezey-peezy. They didn't call him a firebrand for nothing. And poor, poor Billy Bainbridge--the only American skipper to have surrendered TWO vessels in combat. And he was right both times, the poor b@st@rd, though foolhardy. And I told him so, both times. Yes, I was with Aubrey on the Chesapeake. Don't ask.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Yet another thing for far-flung Boodlers to take in when they visit...

"The complex, which officials stressed was built for present and future generations, was opened for a series of press tours and will not open to the public until Dec. 2, when a gala open house will be held."

Never ming the open house, wot about t' gala luncheon???

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Never mind the open house...

*sitting in corner*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally, the Iggles fans in Fully boo'ed Joe Biden at the game last night.

These are the same fans who boo'ed Santa Claus a few years ago. Gotta love 'em. (And they actually probably *like* Biden!)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

ftb, Amazon has lots of Miriam Makeba CD's. Many years ago, I taped some of her vinyl albums that I had gotten from the library. Probably an upgrade to CD is in order.

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Lots more Makeba fans than I'd thought. Cool.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Re.: hats:
Abramoff: the new Bugsy Siegle and style-setter. It sticks in the craw. Yet somehow hats are on the uptick. I bow to fashion. I believe I will get something in the Victorian / steampunk trend. A top hat or beaver, no doubt. Perhaps a bowler hat.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I finally read the speeding piece and, well, I shrugged. Didn't read the comments, as I know that would put me in a lousy mood.

Saw Biden get booed last night, and chuckled to myself. As Mudge points out: Iggles fans in Philly - what did you expect?

I'd heard the roo-roo joke about 25 years ago or so, and it remains pretty funny.

If I get, er, relaxed enough at the next BPH, ask me about hunting jokes. If I can remember them you'll cringe *and* laugh. But they're better in person because there are visuals...

Y'know, ya hadda be there...?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 10, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm home early because my tumbly was feeling a little rumbly. I thought I was holding it together pretty well too.

Did fine right up until someone brought up the mankini. I'm going to go find some mint flavoured mind bleach now. Maybe that will help.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

For the last four days, this song has been going through my head non-stop, and I've played it over and over again Friday and again today. Jeez, I wish I'd written the first and second verses. And the performance, well, it is just beyond words. So here's your tune cootie for the day (and the week); I think I'll dedicate it to my friend Yoki, in revenge for the "5 pounds of meet/sounds like the MegaBPH" line (which I loved):

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, seasea (remind me what your former boodle handle was again?). I've already checked out Amazon for her.

BTW, I'm gonna *ignore* your taping from vinyl ('cause in the grand scheme of things, that be copyright infringement). Gonna let it go for the sake of the boodle. . . .

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Music pirating is well on its way to be the moral equivalent of speed limits: Universally ignored with no one complaining as long as things are kept within reason.

However, since everyone is in violation to one degree or another, the chance of arbitrary and ruthless enforcement is always a possibility. And such crackdowns are unlikely to catch the worst offenders, just the least discreet. (I got it right this time, SciTim. Damn homonyms.)

Posted by: yellojkt | November 10, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, thanks for that.

I've always liked KD Lang, but I've never seen that performance before. Very nice.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 10, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Don't be so homonymophobic.

Posted by: engelmann | November 10, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Leonard Cohen!!!!!!! Swooning. Folkie God, along with Canoockies:

Ian and Sylvia Tyson
Buffy Saint Marie

Rockie-Folkie-Garage band God

Neil Young

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

ftb, I was mostlylurking. Which I guess I should continue to do if you're going to get all lawyer-like on me. I thought taping from LP was ok - because the target medium is not as good - like putting TV stuff on VHS tapes. May I add these were scratchy old LP's, put onto a low quality (cheap) cassette tape? Now, when I burn CD's from library CD's, I grant you I might be closer to breaking the law. But I can't bring myself to spend $20 for every CD I'd like to have (especially when I bought it already on vinyl a gazillion years ago). I do not understand how youtube can have clips available without violating copyright - but I'm glad they do. Actually, I noticed that Jack Bruce's official website linked to a youtube video that was taken (illegally, I'm sure) by an audience member at the concert that I attended this summer. I think the musicians realize they probably benefit more from this kind of stuff than get hurt by it. YMMV.

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, mostly (well, you know what I mean). You know what -- since there appears to be some confusion as to old-boodle-handles and new-boodle-handles, perhaps someone with some gumption and time could do a chart, so some of us (or more) can figure out with whom we're boodling. Any takers?

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 10, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Dave of the Coonties, are you out there? I got a question. Mr. T wants to replace several gumpo azaleas that haven't done well. Is this a good time of the year to do that?

Posted by: slyness | November 10, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, that's from kd lang's Hymns of the 49th Parallel. Great album, which I believe I have somewhere around here on tape...(I only became capable of burning CD's in the last couple of years.)

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Youtube can drive me crazy. DC plays Counting Crows Round Here (really loud)every morning before school, and at the moment, she's listening to Bruce's Incident on 57th Street. The girl's got some eclectic taste. (This is the same child who asked why does the CD say Al Green when the man singing is The Reverend?")

At least she has no idea who the Jonas Brothers are.

Posted by: LostInThought | November 10, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Classic Leonard Cohen, when he was a deep baritone, with Judy Collins on

Suzanne

Sisters of Mercy

----
These folk moments bought you to by Mudge, via his earlier post.

Now, let's have a rousing Cajun cleansing two step of some kind.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I will accept that dedication with pleasure and honour. Thanks 'Mudge. Long-standing, never-resolved and very funny dialogue between #1 brother and me about the merits of Leonard Cohen as a poet. As a folk singer and seminal cool-guy (perhaps the only cool guy in Canada at one time, and possibly ever) we are in heartfelt agreement.

There is a Canadian comic singer, whose many great hits include "The Daughters of Feminists want to Play with Barbies" and other greats, who has crafted the immortal "Leonard Cohen is Never Gonna Carry my Groceries in."

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Yoki!

Nancy White of MOMnipotent, on the no groceries by Leo....

I HAVE that CD.

Exhibit one; great minds have the same obscure cds!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

And, Leonard's voice is nearly folkie basso profoundo...sorta like God, I think, when she is not sounding like

say,

Joan Baez....or perhaps Minnie Ripperton.....God must sound as we imagine....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

That does not surprise me one whit nor tottle, CP!

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if it's great minds. Might be 'somewhat wistful but dedicated suburban Moms'

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Yoki -- CPBoy was born under a cloud of scary health. Someone I do not know sent that CD upon the risk that twould make me laugh. I do not know who it was. Our situation was somewhat grave as it always is when a wee one is sick. So, the gift came to the hospital with a batch of stuff.....but, perhaps this was a Canadian of some sort living locally.

And CPBoy is sturdy and beautiful. I am grateful that we had wonderful health care and huge bills, even grateful for that.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

CP - I have a pressing concern that only you can answer. It is with regard to the visit of the President-Elect and his lovely wife.

Do Empire Waists really work with Michelle?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 10, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

RD -- I shall prepare my commentary on this important topic for later this evening.

Note: the prezes wore the same tie.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Meant to say COLOR of tie....just ran two people over to the subway station.

And, finishing a document for a mad scientist complete with hair-aloft...then, RD, I shall speak upon the importance of positioning the waist.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Er, RD, maybe we can call them Democracy Waists now.

On another note (ahem), any industry trying to put copyrights for mass media back in the bottle - well, I think Pandora's Internet opened almost 20 years ago, and I don't see how anyone's going to cram all those millions upon millions of copyrights back in there.

I like Dear Child's choice in "get up and get going music." When I was her age, I think the only recorded sound device I had mastered was my pull-cord activated See'n'Say. "The Rooster says...Cock-a-doodle-doooo-ooo-ooo," "The cow says...mooooooo," "The cat says....MEEEoooowwww," etc. could only get me _so_ pumped up to achieve.

Which might explain a lot. Wonder if listening to music I actually liked then - the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc. - would have changed anything?

"The dog says.... Arf! Arf Arf."
Indeed.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 10, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

So *that's* where my See 'n Say ended up after my mother sent it to the thrift shop. I've missed that thing.

It was a seminal influence on my sense of the rhythm of language, as my pomes so clearly demonstrate!

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I've always thought the roo-roo joke worked for one reason... roo-roo is just a funny word. It makes me think of the tribe going "woo woo!" throughout the horrible process.

...I wonder if Bush told Obama about Area 51 in their secret meeting?

By the way, no matter what the administration is:

Al Qaeda delendus est.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 10, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Hi, all! Hi, Yoki! DNA Girl, wanted to let you know I tried your lentil/rice pilaf for dinner tonight and it was much appreciated by all. I ended up using quite a bit more water and doubled the spices. Thank you for an easy, cheap veggie meal. One cup of rice and 1/3 cup lentils (with vegetables) made a huge pot of food!

We then followed it up with Girardelli Caramel Turtle brownies. Perfect.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | November 10, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Wheezy! *Hugs*

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

This dog does NOT say arf arf.

Visualize an more operatic rendition, delivered from the belly upward, filling the cheeks, and delivered at a volume to pierce bone....

WAAAaaHHOOOOOO! WAAAHHHFFFF!

Thank you.

-Wilbrodog-

("Arf, arf," sheesh. Amateurs.)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 10, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

...I must say that taping Wilbrodog's voice on anything designed for children would be a very bad idea, indeed.

His voice has been compared to The Hound of the Baskervilles. No lie there.

So by all means, let the dog say "arf arf."

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 10, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Labs have big voices don't they? The Ancient Black Lab still carries the day bark-wise. The Very Large Puppy yaps like a terrier. How embarrassing for a 120 lbs dog. He's a runt by Dogue de Bordeaux standard (barely 24" at the withers) but he is long enough and heavy enough for the standard. Ans he scares the living sh1t of any dogs he meets with his gargoyle looks.
Kids love him though, and he loves them back. A day care opened at the end of our street and he has become the unofficial mascot.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 10, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Kids of the day care walk around showing their teeth, biting their lips and breath heavily and snort through their noses like the VLP as well... It's getting ugly. Soon they'll start to drool heavily.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 10, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh heck if I am to boodle hog. I just watch the video of the Obamas visit of the White House. How frigging tall is Michelle? She looks as tall as W ho is no runt. There is some embarrassing moment in her future as she will be welcoming Asian and many European heads of states. Lose the heels my friend.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 10, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

SCC I saved one W. You never know when it's going to get handy.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 10, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Ooooooh! Futbol!
I'm off to watch that.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 10, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, where is everybody?

I think Michelle Obama is 5'11" - no idea what that is in metric, sorry! I was surprised at how much taller Barack looked than W - I thought Bush was 6' tall, but he must be shorter than that. Barack is supposedly 6'1". So, heels or not, Michelle will tower over a lot of folks.

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama's sheath with empire waist is perhaps a Maria Pinto design. More details will be clear in the next two days. The vermilion red is lovely and striking. Her empire waist and tailored skirt flatter her trim yet feminine shape.

RD, many men, apparently, do not often like empire waists. I will think about the reasons why. It is worth saying what the dress is not: baby doll or peasant empire waist. Such a dress is cinched below the bust line, and then flares, drapes, or folds out in a flutter-ey tent. "Baby doll" is really a soft or even lingerie effect.

Laura wore a dress, which is a bit of a departure from her fitted suits. The color is in the family of reds, but next to Michelle's dress took on a copper hue. Alone, the fabric might actually be nearly garnet-amber. The shades were companionate -- pleasing and unifying effect.

Laura's natural waist dress with thin,, self-fabric belt AND short stature is what perhaps made Michelle's higher waist and height so obvious. What we are next to creates a very strong figure-ground effect. This is why in olden-time literature, you would see dialogue of horrified ball-goers, rushing about so as to not "ruin" the color of one's shot taffeta ball gown in, say, peacock green, against a French blue. Apparently, blue v green was a dreadful occasion.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Here is a photo outside in the sun:

And one inside, where Michele's dress looks almost coral.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Hi SeaSea...starting to fade but I promised RD some berriboned and pleated and bombazined discussion.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Shaun Hill (terp) playing for SF. Not a flashy QB,but he seems to get the job done.

Cold out tonight,hope my fire is on when I get home.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 10, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

and black-laced bombazine...

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey, CP, thanks for that. I thought Michelle looked stunning. Laura wears slacks often, which always kind of surprises me. I like Laura Bush a lot, really - just not her taste in husbands.

Saw this article about Bill Ayers:
In which he says, "In this time of new beginnings and rising expectations, it is even more urgent that we figure out how to become the people we have been waiting to be."

I like Joel's paraphrase better, of course.

Posted by: seasea | November 10, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm around, but fully expect to be unconscious in about fifteen minute. I was up a little late last night/this morning, you see.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 10, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I suppose you were up late, bobsewell, stepping on varmints (carefully) and then early to the post office. Thank you!

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Yo! green man. What does that mean? I don't understand one word of it.

Wait, wait...it's coming to me.

A flashy hill terped a QB and lit a fire and finished a job?

I talk Sports!

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

CP, I am one such guy who hates the empire waistline look, and I can articulate why: I like the look of a defined waistline. Putting the lower two-thirds of a female body in what is effectively a shapeless tube is just...I dunno...pointless?

Now, I'm not hung up on anything silly like absurd hourglass waistlines or anything--but if a woman has a nice shape, I kinda wanna see it more or less reflected in the clothes.

I think it is something basically as simple as expecting to see someone's waistline where it is anatomically supposed to be, rather than upp under her armpits, that's all. Nothing very complicated. (Don't old guys who wear their pants and belts up over their navels look stupid? Of course. Same Idea.)

That Cards-49ers game is more interesting than I ever thought it would be. (But still only channel-flipping.)

Found a really good sonnet in Garrison Keillor's anthology, "Good Poems," by some unknown guy (?) named C. B. Trail, called "Sonnet." Oh, my. I can't believe Garrison read it on the air. I don't think I can/should post it here, either.

But, oh, my. Wish I'd written it. (It's on the Intertubes in a few blogs if you Google it.)

Some really terrific stuff in that book, BTW.

Cards just intercepted a pass and ran it back for a TD -- and had it called back for being offsides.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 10, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, even as we speak a dozen or so packages are winging their way to the various points of the compass.

Posted by: bobsewell | November 10, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

There had been some speculation that the dress MO wore today would be the election night dress. (Can't believe I knew that).

Long, cold day here in our fair city. We certified election results tonight and hope our write-in winner of one city council seat will agree to serve.

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 10, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Bob S. - thanks! I'm looking forward to my own commemorative copy! It sounds like there may be a holiday bph possible and my family always spend the week after Christmas in MD, which would make it easy for me to come to a holiday bph. I will definitely buy you that beer (or two) if that all works out.

Posted by: Kim1 | November 10, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

'Mudge, I think you are channeling Robert Herrick.

Upon Julia's Clothes

Whenas in silks my Julia goes,
Then, then (methinks) how sweetly flows
That liquefaction of her clothes.

Next, when I cast mine eyes, and see
That brave vibration each way free,
O how that glittering taketh me!

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, good book by G.K. I have it. See also
Good Poems for Hard Times

Listen to this. Roland Flint, a dead :( poet with a plain, narrative style like yours AND G.K.together.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, I seldom turn down a beer. It would be a grotesque overpayment, but I guess it's just exactly that profit motive that keeps America strong!

Posted by: bobsewell | November 10, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Cool, Bob. I hope that you're feeling up to par, 'Mudge. I road tripped to Greensboro this afternoon and evening, and we have a full compliment of dogs. Our girl took her class on Saturday and had a shot at breed but, again, the judge put another dog up. I'm still waiting on our day at the picture table. We're on the cusp of a major life adjustment: a dishwasher. The latter, in the earliest stages of our marriage, was the only source of conflict in the household. I tend to collate by size and dish/glass/tableware type, and my wife tends toward maximum entropy. I was constantly rearranging the load, and pushing my wife to the tipping point. The detergent also had to be dispensed in just the right amount, spread neatly across the dispenser, level and plumb. More marital discord. I guess that I'll just have to settle for alphebetising the spices.

Posted by: -jack- | November 10, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm off to dream of happy 'boodlers reading their papers and making plans to buy me beers!

Posted by: bobsewell | November 10, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

jack, remember that judging is purely subjective.

AM.CAN.CH. SP. BOB, BIS Augustus, CD, OD, DD, DDX, TD, TDE (!) and GCH Blue Max will testify that given enough shows, judges, trials, tests and handler-mistakes (and, for our sins, entrance fees), a nice dog or fine cat will be recognized. Someday. Eventually. Sooner or later. Before we die.

Posted by: Yoki | November 10, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Jack. But, I would not want the spices in abc order....seems to be a plat detail in an Anne Tyler novel, if I recall.

Mudge, too tired to explain fully, but sometimes we gals want more freedom in our clothes than what waists require. Lower rise pants, within reason, reflect the tiresomeness of waisted clothes.

I think Michelle's rejection of the suit is part of this. I look forward to more redefinition of smart and sensible and chic sportswear for work. I manage this line between comfort and appropriate in my own way because I am at the U and ride a bike.

But Michelle may be about to really legitimize and expand this.

Guess I explained...

Bob - thanks for boodle lifting to the fine far away peoples.

Take care, night shifters....waving to rainforest...etc....night all

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 10, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

You're so right, Yoki. My wife was longing for just one of our dogs to go out and win. Bam! You're a champion! I can't shake the image of Edna Mode. WIN!!!

Posted by: -jack- | November 10, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

A streaming transitional moment: Truckin'>The Other One>Big River>The Other One>Eyes of the World>The Other One>Wharf Rat. Sheer profundity.

I haven't ordered the spices for quite some time. Spice entropy makes the kitchen funner. Plus, the plot line you mentioned, CP, sounds insidious. I'll let the sleeping spices lie.

Posted by: -jack- | November 10, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Edna Mode is aruably the best... name.. *ever!*

Posted by: Yoki | November 11, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

That's a well-fitted empire dress.

Personally, I don't care for the gathered fabric on top, otherwise it's fabulous.

Mudge, women have to dress to emphasize their good points. Nobody with a killer hourglass figure is going for an empire waist unless they want to wind up shot by the fashion police.

Rather, it's the choice for 1) pregnant women 2) pear-shaped women 3) women who hate their stomaches, period.

The fit actually gives some shape and makes the woman look like a woman, rather than drown her in a shapeless muumuu.

I am sure there are other ways to do it. I myself prefer a waist that hits just above the belly button myself (I've had enough empire waists as a bridesmaid to last me a lifetime).

BUT I am not particularly short-torsoed for my height and I have room between my ribs and waist to play with.

If the choice is to corset over the ribs or right under the bust, then the bra line is far the more comfortable and breathable choice (and also more flattering to the top).

That dress was hourglassy enough, although the cut and length made for a longer silohuette, which can be kind of boring guy-wise, but makes a woman feel good about their weight and not looking like a hippo from behind.

Yeah, I'm with Mudge, I wish empire waists had never been popularized for anything BUT pregnant brides. Ahem.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 11, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

And CQP's point about waists being a pain is well-taken. Sometimes fabric burn and dresses riding up and down while moving and sitting just adds up to waist fatigue.

That's why I like unbelted one-piece dresses with form, but comfortable fit.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 11, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Bob S, thanks again - we appreciate it.

I have it on good authority from one of the Knitters for Obama that Michelle does not knit, but would like to learn. This person is a VIP wrangler and got to talk to Barack - she told him about the Knitters for Obama, who combined campaigning with charity knitting. And some of us are childlishly excited that he knows about KFO! (I'm jumping up and down again.)

Posted by: seasea | November 11, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

seasea, that's cool, your Obama bacon number is probably lower now (?)

cp, that Anne Tyler character was in The Accidental Tourist. For some reason that line has always stuck in my mind, though I don't claim to have memorized it--here it is, courtesy of Amazon:

"Rose had a kitchen that was so completely alphabetized, you'd find the allspice next to the ant poison. She was a fine one to talk about the Leary men."

I'm not really awake at 2 a.m. This is just, like, a hologram of me typing this. I am going back to bed now.

Nightynight.

Posted by: kbertocci | November 11, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

I’ll be in transition in about a year and a half when I reach retirement. I’m not a bold person who would embrace change with open arms, so I’m a little apprehensive about it as I can't really retire yet. We’ll see how it works out.

When I was a teenage, I wore empire waist dresses. My sister was a seamstress and I wore whatever she made. After I turned adult, I didn’t own any empire waist dresses anymore because you can’t wear a belt with that type of dress. I was freakish about belts up until 10 years ago.

Posted by: rainforest1 | November 11, 2008 3:23 AM | Report abuse

All my pithy commentary has been sniped. That's what I get for sleeping. As the viewer of way too many Austen movies, I too think the empire waist indicates a woman is either pregnant or has a beer belly.

Going by the picture here (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/welcome-to-your-new-home/) it makes Michelle look even taller than she is and puts too much emphasis on her hips. And may I say that Laura is still my favorite FLILF. I just love that sexy librarian look she has.

And I was in the back raising my hand going "ooo, ooo, Mistah Kottah!" because it is The Accidental Tourist where all the foodstuffs are alphabetized. They also try to cook a turkey at 150 degrees for eight hours on the theory it won't dry it out.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 11, 2008 6:02 AM | Report abuse

There, yellojkt, I have proved that one has to get up PRETTY EARLY IN THE MORNING to get ahead of you--2 a.m. to be precise...Don't worry, I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Posted by: kbertocci | November 11, 2008 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Morning, Boodle.

Posted by: Yoki | November 11, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

And you're back up at 6 am, kb? Get some sleep. That is 24/7 boodle monitoring even beyond my level.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 11, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Here's what Joel looks like when he's wearing his Aussie hat:

Ha! Seriously, I never heard of Jeff Probst before; I thought he must be some obscure Australian celebrity. Then I googled him and realized this was something I could brag about, that I'd never seen him. This is where ignorance is bliss, when it's ignorance of stupid American tv shows.

Also seriously: that is a very cool hat, but it's a little creepy to me that it is made out of actual kangaroo hide. I guess that's because all the kangaroos I'm acquainted with are characters, like Kanga and Roo and the one in the old favorite children's book who didn't have a pouch and ended up solving the problem by getting a carpenter's apron--kind of like Science Tim's pockets-a-plenty vest. So I tend to think of kangaroos as being sort of human, because I've never seen any real ones. I have no general objection to using leather to make belts and shoes. And hats.

I'm off to work now, ya'll have a great day.

Posted by: kbertocci | November 11, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Here is my new favorite sport: Australian Bikini Cricket

Maybe not safe for work, but did I have to warn you? And since the girls are wearing outback hats, it's officially on topic.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 11, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

And for the ladies, my blogfriend Mooselet (and she had that name long before Sarah Palin came around) publishes pictures of shirtless (and sometimes less) Australian football players every week. She always throws in one bikini (or less) supermodel for the guys, but you have to scroll down through some serious hunks to get to the girl.

Enjoy.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 11, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Goood morning, everybody!

Just think, it's been a whole week since election day, and we've survived. I'll take that as a hopeful sign. Good lineup on the op-ed page today: Raspberry (I miss that man!), Robinson, Applebaum. It was good to hear from Donna Britt a couple of times last week. I miss her perspective also.

Mudge, women do have to go for their good points in dressing. I learned in 9th grade home ec that empire waists are good for short women (especially when fat, like me) and long waisted dresses look good on tall women. We don't see dresses with lines below the waist these days, that could be a good thing. I wear slacks because I look horrible in skirts, and always have. And yes, comfort is essential.

Posted by: slyness | November 11, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

I thought Laura Bush’s dress looked like it had been plucked from my mother’s closet circa 1965. I liked Michelle’s dress and don’t find an empire bodice objectionable in this case. There are some baby doll empires that as CP said, look like nightgowns or maternity wear. But when the empire has a more fitted skirt which curves in towards the waist line and skims the hips, it’s a more flattering look and more comfortable than a dress that hits at the waistline. Michelle has a wonderful shape but she is a bit underendowed in the bust, the gathers at the bodice on her dress added volume to that area. That’s my two cents and I can’t believe I’m awake enough to put a half lucid thought on paper so early in the morning.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 11, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Just a light dusting of snow this morning. The weather is good for the numerous ceremonies scheduled for today. I find it heartbreaking to look at those old veterans getting pounded by a strong November rain.
Michelle's garb will be discussed 'til the end of the O-man's mandate I'm afraid. I better learn what is a an Empire Waist pronto. (which Empire? Ming? Mongol? Roman? Evil?)

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 11, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle!

Feeling weird this morning, as if the planets have realigned. There's change, but can't put my finger on what it is.

Posted by: Braguine | November 11, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks very much CP for your comments! I must agree with Mudge here that empire waists, in general, don't do much for me. This is a statement of subjective taste, of course, which both means that others are free to disagree and that I am not likely to be talked out of it.

(It's like "Rush." I know many people love this group (like Mr. ScottyNuke) and have tried to convince me that I should worship it a well. But it just ain't happenin' Yet I digress.)

Of course, I do understand that the contrast between Laura and Michelle may have influenced my view.

Well, that's quite enough fashion talk. Especially since my personal fashion can be best described as "Weingartian"

Plus, I own pleated pants.

Anyway, day off for my, by which I mean I don't go into my place of employment.

I shall still, though, be doing a lot of work.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 11, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I had forgotten that our federal boodlers have today off which must be why cudge and S'nuke missed Dawn Patrol muster. This is an odd holiday because it is a solemn one. What is the proper greeting? "Happy Vet's Day"? Just doesn't sound right.

So many fine people have served our country. They deserve a well-earned thanks.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 11, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

SCC: That would be "mudge" as in "curmudgeon" not "cudge" as in "cudgel".

Posted by: yellojkt | November 11, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Just back from the walk. It's a lovely cool, crisp day in the Carolinas.

Ninety years ago today, the carnage we remember as World War I ended. Can we imagine the relief and joy people felt at that news?

A family up the street has a big bear statue they decorate for holidays. It's usually cute and good for a chuckle.

This morning, the bear is wearing a green uniform with aviator sunglasses, a poppy, and a yellow ribbon around its neck. I had to suppress a sob as I went by.

Posted by: slyness | November 11, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' everybody...

I'll just leave the fashion talk to the pros here since my wardrobe could best be described as a cross between "House Elf" and "Garden Gnome". Call it "layered tattered chic". When I want to add a splash of color, I clean up a paint or stain spill.

To be honest, I do have one nice suit and even two ties, but the only time you'll see me wearing that getup is if someone has died or is getting married.

(Actually, if any of you ever watched the "Last of the Summer Wine" series on BBC, "Compo" and I have the same tailor.)

Now on to trivial things...

I read Bob Herbert's piece over at the Times this morning -- Obama should print it out and hang it in the Oval Office to keep himself on track: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/opinion/11herbert.html

He pretty much nails it when he describes how easy it is for the government to find tax dollars to bail out the big guys, yet when it comes to helping out those at the other end of the financial spectrum, the money mysteriously dries up.

To quote Scotty... {*sigh*}

Anyway... time to get to it. Got a busy day lined up and I'm almost sufficiently caffeinated to handle it.

Peace out :-)

Posted by: martooni | November 11, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hi all... good morning. Dr G is off today (salute to him as a veteran today!) and Daughter's school opens 4 hours late to accommodate parents who want to visit with teachers this morning.

Still waiting to hear back from the job interview I had last week, but I found this great comic today that made me chuckle...

Posted by: -TBG- | November 11, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

A few quick comments, then off for a run and some errands.

Personally, my favorite FL of my lifetime would have to be Jackie Kennedy, though I'm no expert on the subject by any means.

The Economic seas are still rough today, and will continue to be so all week, I think. From where I'm bobbing in the middle of all this, there's whitecaps in every direction, and I can't even see the horizon due to the fog and mist. Could be shoals out there, as there's no map for these seas. 'Here there be monsters,' indeed.

I see that NASA has declared the Phoenix mission over, as expected. They've lost contact with it, and it's already past its design lifespan under current conditions. Good for NASA and their Martian divining rod.

With a name like Phoenix, it is possible that we'll hear from it again.

RD - Rush, either you get them, or you don't. For some, perhaps, an acquired taste. To each his or her own, of course.

On that topic, subjective taste and Empire waists, etc., everyone's bodies are different, and may look different to one Observer or another, of course. I am, well, a, well, slender gentleman with broadish shoulders. When I wear shirts that fit me across the shoulders, they look like they're still on the hanger by the way they fit my waist and torso.

I don't believe in a 'one size/style fits all' as far as clothing goes, though some accounting for current styles helps.

This accounts for my current moratorium on pleated pants.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Never understood the hating on pleated pants. I just don't look good in plain front pants and my wife agrees, so I don't give a flying d@mn what Liz Kelly thinks.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 11, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Slyness, you are so right, a bit chilly in the Carolinas this morning. I braved the porch, and stepped back in. The maintenance folks are doing the grounds, so it's a chance to stay in, and stay out of the way.

I watched the visit of the Obamas at the White House on the news. I thought Mrs. Obama looked very sleek and fashionable. She is tall, and that's not a bad thing. Crouching to hide that would be awful. President-elect Obama is the coolest dude since Kool-Aide. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.(smile)

I'm going to finish my studying, get dressed, and perhaps run some errands. I need to check on my dad. Enjoy your day if you're off, and just relax. The sun is so bright here, one would think shorts and other summer finery, but not so. Even so, it is beautiful. The day savors of hoarding it for a time of gray.

Mudge, Martooni, Slyness, Scotty, and all, good morning, have a great day.*waving*

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them. "

Laurence Binyon, 1914

Remebrance Day 2008, wear a poppy, and buy a veteran a cup of coffee.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 11, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra... you make me smile you are right... President-elect Obama: Coolest. President. Ever.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 11, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

Sorry to be so late to the fashion commentary, but I DO have agree with bc about Jackie Kennedy. She is my favorite, perhaps because she was the wife of the first man I ever voted for. I admired her simplicity and elegance (not to mention her slimness). Agree that Michelle Obama wears her dresses well, and with lovely colors and fabrics. Perhaps, in addition to dressing for herself, she also dresses to please her husband? Novel idea, maybe.

As the weather becomes colder, I would love to see her in the coat & dress ensembles (outfits) which Jackie made popular and I haven't seen much of for the longest time. Nothing classier than a matching full length (or 3/4 length) coat with a dress of matching fabric. Also, very youthful...

We know Laura primarily for her suits and Hilary for her pants suits. I hope Michelle sticks with her dresses as much as she can.

Just remembered that plaid horror of an outfit Hilary wore in Bill's first inaugural parade, whoever designed that made a terrible mistake.

Posted by: VintageLady | November 11, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Nice. {*holding up "sarcasm" sign*}

DHL is bailing from the US domestic shipping market, leaving over 7,000 Ohioans (9,500 nationally) to figure out WTF to do to survive, not to mention the city of Wilmington -- DHL employees make up 1/3rd of that city's working population.

Nice early Christmas present, eh?

I thought Scrooge was English, not German.

To make an already bad state economy worse, with GM talking bankruptcy my little part of Ohio could be next. The GM Lordstown plant here has been promised the new Chevy "Cruze", but who knows?

Us Ohioans are used to getting the short end of the stick -- we'll figure out a way to survive. Neighboring states just better hope we don't resort to Viking (as in Nordic) tactics.

Posted by: martooni | November 11, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Veterans Day and Memorial Day and the Fourth of July etc etc: I am never more alienated than on these "honor the veterans" occasions. The best I can do is to mourn the victims of war, and re-dedicate myself to the cause of peace. I observe that basically nobody agrees with me about this, and I don't understand why but I accept it. Here's a lucid argument for my point of view (which will probably invoke righteous indignation in all right-thinking people, so if you don't want your worldview challenged, don't read it) by author and professor Butler Shaffer:

I might just add that my father is a veteran and there's nobody in the world whom I respect and love more, but that doesn't change my opinion about the misguided nature of holidays that glorify armed conflict.

It's very hard for me to post this comment, and I am ashamed that that is true. I should not care so much what you think of me as I do about the lives of the victims of violence--past, present and future.

Posted by: kbertocci | November 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse