Very Thankful

Had a great Thanksgiving feast, as usual, at Gene and Arlene's, followed by much couch moaning due to overindulgence. Dave Barry snapped a pic that I bet he'll put on his blog, so I'll link to that. The football skills continue to erode -- erratic QB action on my part and continued, chronic 15-yard-penalties on the girls for inappropriate squealing. You just can't squeal when the ball is heading toward you -- that's a penalty every time. We're going to work on that.

Meanwhile the bloggingheads thing got posted. Here it is. I had a cold and in my mental fog I couldn't follow every nuance of Bob's sociobiological theories. But it was still fun.

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 28, 2008; 8:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bailout Fever
Next: Robbing Peter to Pay Paul

Comments

May I be the first (first?) to welcome my fellow Boodlers into the day after the annual gorge. Yet again, I was amazed that I was hungry for breakfast this morning. Got leftovers in the fridge -- some will go into the freezer for future celebrations. Now, I vow not to go to the nearby mall until maybe late February or early March.

Gotta go get some work done.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 28, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Joel- I think it might help if you turn the QB duties over to one of the girls. Show 'em what it means to make a play for the ball without squealing (much).

I'll be tryptophaning the white meat fantastic later today with my famous post-Thanksgivng hot turkey, stuffing, mashed potato and gravy sandwiches in taking a break from a little holiday decorating and other household chores.

Mmmmmm.

When I have few minutes, I'm going to watch the Blogginheads video instead of the "Mork and Mindy" marathon, though Joel does tend to have Robin Williams-esque moments when verbally fencing Bob.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 28, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Well, it's going to kill me that I can't watch the video until tonight but I'll try to get through my day--lots to do at work since it's the end of the month, we have our EOM reports and database audits to get ready for the new month.

Major frenvy over the idea of Weingarten-Barry-Achenbach Thanksgiving. That had to be fun.

Our celebration was modest but we did have some laughs and remembered what we are grateful for: health and financial stability, family harmony and a new day dawning in Washington DC. I'm also grateful for Achenbach and Achenblog and all the boodlers, who make my days more interesting and more fun.

My husband and I saw "Bolt" last week--I usually don't go to kids' movies but he was complaining I hadn't spent time with him lately and he really wanted to see the film. I've been teasing him ever since because he cried all through the movie. Yesterday after dinner he told his son about the movie, we ribbed him again about crying, his son asked, what made you cry, and he started describing the opening scene where the little girl picks out the puppy from the animal shelter--and he started tearing up, just talking about it! He was laughing at himself, and crying at the same time and we were all laughing until it hurt (what with the recent stuffing, that didn't take long.) Anyway, I'm still not going to recommend the movie but guess I'd say if you are overly sentimental, or if you have abandonment issues or something, take tissues.

Posted by: kbertocci | November 28, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Neat on the bloggingheada site you can sneak into the sections. Will enjoy later. Am grading papers, which is way better than shopping.

Slivers of pie for b-fat: sour cherry, cadamom-pumpkin! Yummmmmmmmm.

Hi KB, Bc, Sn from back....Sn, your initials capped-uncapped this way = Tin

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

and hi FTB and Cassandra and yoki.....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning dear CP.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Now that I'm back from the walk and have taken the Aleve, I have to second Yoki's advice about exercise in the previous boodle, Cassandra. Just do what you can, and be grateful.

I'll look forward to watching the bloggingheads edition when I get the time. It's something I will enjoy when I have the place to myself again. I don't know what I will do when Mr. T retires and I have to put up with him all day. I may have to get a job. ;-)

Posted by: slyness | November 28, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle, CP, Yoki, bc, Scotty, et al.

I...um...may have missed Dawn Patrol. SHMBO let me "sleep in" until 6:45. Am Cheerioed and putting up decorations. Got the Snowman tableau on the dining credenza, all the stuff down from the attic, working next on the bay window, then outside for the wreaths. (I believe I may have mentioned I'm married to the Martha Stewart of, etc.) I must say, she always does a spectacular job every Christmas.

OK, labor beckons...

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 28, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Morning 'mudge. If ever there were a day to miss Dawn Patrol, it's got to be the day after Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Four papers down, 44 to go.

Mudge, come to my house next. You will get a breather since I wait until the week before. One way to break of the tyranny of commercial Christmas is to have smaller holidays.

We love St. Nicholas day Dec 5/6. Shoes on porch with grass for the reindeer; socks and mittens appear magically the next day. Eat gingerbread in some form. I bring cookies to my classes this day. St. Lucia Day is lovely with saffron buns and hot hot coffee. How a Sicilian Saint became a national Swedish Icon, I will never understand. Celebrate Lucia on the 13/14 the. DO NOT put lit candles upon a ladychild's head!!!!, despite the lovely picture this makes.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Howdy. I have a few holiday traditions to which I rigorously adhere. One is to not shop on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Another is to avoid a local mall like the plague between Thanksgiving and Christmas day, because it has the worst traffic patterns. Ivansdad, who has been known to shop on Black Friday, is trying to subvert these traditions by suggesting I take the Boy today to a store near the mall, within the zone of traffic insanity. It isn't going to happen.

I will, however, take the Boy to the outdoor downtown ice rink this afternoon.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 28, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Friends and family accounted for and safe back home.
I am thankful for the good luck that spared us from loss this time. Others I know of were not so fortunate.

Good governance would help fortify good luck, but Indians, especially Bombayites/Mumbaikars, aren't holding their breath for that miracle. Still, such events can catalyze change, so we hope for the best and keep working at it.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | November 28, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

DNAG, been thinking of you. Two colleagues continue to count off the "safe" emails and phone calls. I am glad that the world is small, so we can use digital technology to stay close.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

That was a very interesting metaphysical discussion Wright and Joel had. You could almost smell the patchouli. Bob's digs about the Achenblog seem to have hit a nerve. Unlike Joel, I blog while on vacation. This one is Not Safe For People Who Don't Like Military Aircraft.

That post is actually a cheat since I wrote it a few days ago and polished it while watching the bloggingheads video. Now it is time for shopping and Broadway shows. Because that is what you do in New York.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 28, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

While all of you get to enjoy leftovers, I get to prep and cook our Thanksgiving-a-day-late meal. I’ve done the onions, dressing, cranberry sauce and acorn squash and it’s only 10:30, wow. The nearest mall is only a mile away but you won’t find me there today. I’ve done my online stuff and the rest can wait for another day or two. I think I’ll balance my checkbook, I’ve got two months of statements to go through. I used to do this promptly, now I just look online to be sure I’m at least close.

#1 daughter was admiring my Merrill semi-clogs yesterday and said that she wanted but couldn’t afford them. So today I called SIL’s cell phone, assuming that he was at work and I’d leave him a message regarding daughter’s shoe size. However, daughter answered the phone because SIL is off today. Here I thought I was being so sneaky, ah well, he’ll call me back later.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 28, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Slyness

I laughed at your comment about getting a job after your husband retires. It seems some marriages get into serious trouble when the husband retires and is at home all day. Perhaps you will miss that bullet.

In India....

They're reporting that the hostages taken at the Jewish Center have been killed. This whole situation is a nightmare that doesn't want to end. I hope they find out the people responsible for this terrorist attack.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 28, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Dog has acquired one of her periodic ear infections and so we will be seeing the veterinarian today. No doubt some renewed innoculations along with a thorough physical.

My computer's power supply has been groaning and boot-up slightly scrambled. A new power supply beats a fried board so will do that in a little while. I have some old software requiring a 3¼" drive to reinstall. I don't even have a cable, the drive is here unused for who knows how long.

One would think turkeys would be on sale but this time last year they were the same price as before Thanksgiving. They're on to me. Tonight it's fajitas.

The big pot of arugula has barely resisted the few freezes we have had outside in the last week or so. It may be getting time to eat some. The thought of bringing it inside and putting it out days does not thrill me, so I haven't decided if I'm going to follow that procedure or not. I wouldn't mind harvesting some seeds for further crops next year.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 28, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Joel looks drunk. Cool!

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 28, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all
A rare friday off for me,compensation for working yesterday i guess.Sunny and 45 here in west by god.Looks like a good day to fill the inside wood rack and do a few other outdoor chores.Maybe a bottle of wine with dinner.

Congrats to the Terps B-ball team for routing #5 Michigan state!!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 28, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Too tuckered and far too full last night to finish the tale...

Linda also said that her aunt said that they are descended from Gov. William Bradford. His detailed journal, "Of Plimoth Plantation," spans the years 1620 through 1650 and chronicles the fates of the Mayflower pilgrims, including the feast day of the first Thanksgiving.

I didn't know on what maternal line of women who married Thralls was Bradford. On just this past Monday, I did find on the Internet another Thrall descendant who makes the same claim. On just Monday I went back to the Thrall genforum for a far closer look. The women of the early Thrall unions are from ancient Windsor: Ole Goode Thrall, Deborah Gunn, Mindwell Moses. Mary Roberts is from Hartford.

Samuel Thrall, who moved to Vermont after Shay's Rebellion, married Lucy Winchell, whose antecedents include Phelps and Griswolds. Should I have been surprised to discover that my close friend in Escalon is actually my very distant cousin on the Phelps bloodline? Or that with her Griswold bloodline, my friend Linda is distantly related to Chauncey Griswold Webb, father of Ann Eliza Webb Dee Young, the subject of David Ebershoff's book, "The 19th Wife"?

After by early cursory search of the web, I had sent an e-mail to Linda explaining the two instances where our families stood on the opposite sides of history, but I detected little interest from her. After I finished Ebershoff's "The 19th Wife," as much as I loved it, I felt that I couldn't send another copy to her. I can lead my two closest female California friends to history and their own genealogies (I have already explained my childhood friend's link to William Pynchon, Eleazur Holyoke, and John and Dorothy Mott Talcott--and Mary Rowlandson), but I can't make them drink.

I felt confident, however, that I had found the storyteller, but not the right story. Luckily, perhaps presciently, I had found two copies at two different store locations of the only used bookstore chain in San Antonio of David Ebershoff 2002 book "Pasadena." My selection fit two earlier criteria: Ebershoff is originally from the West Coast, from Pasadena, and the story is a California story. Ebershoff graciously signed the two "Pasadena"s and the one "The 19th Wife" that my husband had carried for me to Ebershoff in the signing tent at the festival.

Posted by: laloomis | November 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

That CrapCam picture looks like the Bloggingheads pharmaceuticals hadn't quite worn off yet. And does Gene know that Joel promiscuously throws around the first name of The Rib. Someone with mad googling skills could piece some info together and find the May 27, 2003 chat where he gives his wife's full name and his pet name for her.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 28, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I ended up sending two books to Linda, polar opposities as stories go. I forwarded Jeannie Ralston's "The Unlikely Lavender Queen," Ralston's own story about being an East Coast writer who lived in the rarefied, sophisticated atmosphere of New York City and moved with her husband, a photographer for National Geographic, to rural, agrarian Blanco, Texas.

In "Pasadena," the protagonist Siegelinde Stumpf moves from an onion farm in San Diego's rural, agrarian North County to high society circles in Pasadena in the early 1920s. "Pasadena," which I am close to finishing, is a complicated love story, with richly drawn characters and multiple locales such as the mineral springs at California's Baden-Baden-by-the-Sea, the sprawling and fertile Rancho Pasadena with its acres of groves, and the muddy trenches of France in WWI.

Pasadena looms in my friend Linda's future in one respect. Gilles, her "second son" foreign exchange student from Belgium, had received a letter the weekend we were taking shelter from Hurricane Ike in Escalon, inviting members of one of the groups he belongs to at Escalon High to come south to Pasadena to decorate one of the floats in the annual (but suspended in war years) Tournament of Roses Parade.

Linda isn't from Pasadena, the land of oranges and roses. As I recall, she's from the Coachella Valley, inland from Pasadena, from either Coachella itself or Indio. And from our days together at the Modesto Chamber of Commerce, where she was head of the convention and visitors bureau, as well as the film commission, and I, the communications manager, where we marketed the almonds, the wine, the bottling operations, the dairies to people both in and beyond Modesto, it's her childhood tales of date palms and date shakes that I remember most.

And to say that I am thankful for her, my friend and newly discovered distant cousin, both on Thanksgiving and days that are not, goes without saying.

Posted by: laloomis | November 28, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Joel most certainly does not look drunk. He looks pensive. Perhaps because he realizes that should they become lost down there it would take the authorities many weeks to find their dessicated remains.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 28, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

From that picture I will concur that Gene truly is a skinny but slovenly person. And I know have spent way too much time analyzing it.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 28, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Couch moaning is a funny phrase.

I shudder to think what the inflatable Weingarten, the rubber mallet, and the 1/4" tubing are for.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 28, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

morning, all.

hope everyone is having a good day. i personally adhere to the no-shopping-on-black-friday tradition.

gene's office does look like the aftermath of a tornado. or two.

Posted by: LALurker | November 28, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

SCC: now instead of know. I don't know why I confuse them so much.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 28, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think Joel has that "for THIS I got a Princeton degree?" kinda look...

Mmmmmm... Turkey, dressing and corn casserole wraps for lunch!!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

And Mork and Exador discussing the Religion of O.J. Simpson!!!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

DNAGirl, I'm glad you've been able to get positive news in all this.

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

DNA Girl, that is good news.

kb, maybe Mr kb needs a puppy - or not. That's funny - must be good animation. I will probably go to a movie or two this weekend. "Australia" looks interesting, and is probably worth seeing on a big screen.

Mr seasea is taping the Mork and Mindy marathon. Ah, another gift idea from Amazon. I'm doing all my Christmas shopping from Amazon this year, and not even feeling guilty about it.

Posted by: seasea | November 28, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Um, yello, it's bad enough Joel gave her first name. You're just making things worse. For the life of me I don't know what you're thinking.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 28, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed, as I always do, listening to Joel and Bob go at it. It's banter, but with a Socratian edge.

Regarding that whole existential conundrum of meaning in a non-cognizant universe. To me, meaning is a transitive verb. It implies meaning to someone. So, no, I don't think anything has meaning without the existence of an emotional response.

But where things get complicated is in the possible categories of emotional response. For example, that observations strongly support the notion that the universe is chock full of gas giants makes me happy. This makes them "meaningful" to me, even if I never lay eyes on them.

Same thing for that planet of robots.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 28, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

But why would you hit the robot?

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps to win a prize, Yoki?

I'd forgotten Morgan Fairchild appeared on several "Mork & Mindy" episodes! An annoyingly rich social climber -- what a acting job for her!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

CP --

"Four papers down, 44 to go."

Like a broken clock ... Sarah Palin says this every morning.

Though she doesn't mention the paper, I am pretty sure that she reads the Northwest Current!

Posted by: russianthistle | November 28, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

SNUKE!!!!

You had to bring Morgan Fairchild and Mindy to mind!

Thanks!!!

Posted by: russianthistle | November 28, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Need help...

Two apple pies made. Taste great, but suffer from exploding pie crust. What's the fix? HELP!!!!

Posted by: russianthistle | November 28, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ditto, Mudge.

Wow, I think I finally may have known the right thing to do for this computer. New power supply in, and not only is it quiet, it's blowing COOL air out its vent instead of the warm air I thought was "not too bad." It's so quiet I heard my very quiet hard drive making its extremely faint noise on boot-up and for a second thought something was wrong. Nope. Downside is, it smells like brand-new warm electrical equipment in here. Ptah! Carcinogenic outgassing for a few days, no doubt. I'm still clam-happy, though.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 28, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

You're quite welcome, DM/thistle...

And may I suggest a "pie bird" (thanks, Alton Brown) to allow the steam from baking pie fruit to escape without rupturing the crust?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

And if you don't have a pie bird, they are easy to rig up, which seems more Jumper-like anyway.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I am very thankfull i don't have to get ready for work today.

Also thankfull for all my boodle friends.

Now where are the boodle babes when you need them.A man has a PIE question.

Yoki you around,cp,dbg?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 28, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Funny RTDM.
'sPLOding pie crust!

Anybody else visited by pie gremlims? Knibbling and knoshing!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Pie! GWE, the oyster pie guy

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Why gwe, I've already spoken up to Jumper! I'm just waiting to be invited to pontificate about how to create a functioning pie bird.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Scotty,

Contemplating Barbara Bel Geddes until I am cured.

Posted by: russianthistle | November 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Just like a lightning strike,the boodle babes are right on it...now i am really greenwithenvy.....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Didn't sleep last night (today's the next-to-last on the job), so showed up at Sears just before opening to harvest a KitchenAid mixer as a long-awaited gift.

How is it that I never connected the mixer manufacturer to the maker of dishwashers and stoves?

Spent lunch today looking at wallpaper for the kitchen. Do I get the impression that wallpaper is unfashionable, about as gone as seven-foot kitchen ceilings?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Help us so we don't have to Google "pie bird," Yoki. All I know is, poke or slit the topcrust.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. I thought for sure that li'l bird would have a built-in whistle. But no.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I had a different problem Scotty. I think we didn't have enough cold water in the pie crust dough. Lacked elasticity. Tasty, but dry.

Posted by: russianthistle | November 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Any tubular-type structure that will not only allow steam to escape (which the pokes do) but also is sufficiently high above the level of the crust so that some of the liquid can bubble up the chimney, will do.

If you take some foil and wrap it a couple of times around the handle of a wooden spoon (or something with an even slightly larger circumfrence) and stand it up in the middle of the pie, that should help.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Pie crust is a cr@p-shoot. Yoki likely succeeds often, as she is the Contessa (not barefoot) of Alberta.

I consider crust to be a vessel for filling, a chalice for the semi-solid elixir of fruit, custard or what-have-you. Pie is a communion and proof, indeed, that a benevolent God smiles upon us. Pie!=Pi! Shall we built a religion about it? Yes.

Barbara BG is the lovelorn admirer of Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo. She is, I believe, a designer of brassieres, which are a lady-item of import, not the charcoal braziers of medieval lore.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that's actually Gene Weingarten. It looks more like a life-style wooden dummy. Note how the moustache helps to conceal the woodenness of the lower jaw.

Joel has that expression because he's watching Dave explain how to ventroquilize farting sounds while somebody offcamera holds Gene's back upright.

All is explained....

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

....Including S'nuke's 12:10 PM observation of Joel's look.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 28, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I thought it said Morgan Freeman was playing an annoyingly rich social climber on Mork & Mindy. Now that's acting.

DNA Girl... I've been hoping you'd check in with good news. The down side of being able to connect with so many worldwide is the closeness now of such awful events. Sad to see that there's a local family lost in the horror.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 28, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dave, you can have wallpaper if you want it. Design-Dominatrices overstate their preferences all the time.

I am liking a paint color called "breakfast room" green these days.

I also like "arsenic".....

I have some paint blotches on the wall now. The best time to choose a paint is in the grey days of now....a color must lift hearts now, more than in summer.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I use my great-grandmother's incredibly easy pie crust recipe and it works every time: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 tsp or so salt, cold water to mix (probably at least 5 tablespoons, use as much as you need). The key is to have the ingredients cold before you start. For two-crust pies I cut slits in the top crust before baking.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 28, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Joel's "bloggingheads" visit makes me think how cool it would be to, you know, actually think for a living.

I keep dwelling on Joel's provocative notion of inherent "meaning." The problem I am having is that the words we use to denote value, you know, like "beauty," are all inherently subjective. So Joel is suggesting an “objective subjectivity” - a clear contradiction of terms.

Yet there is something to it.

Perhaps there are some concepts that the human brain can't fully articulate. Which doesn't mean they aren't valid. Just don't ask me to describe them.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I like them crusts what are made from graham cracker crumbs.

Outside of that I'm more a, you know, "filling" kind a guy.

Which reminds me, I hear a pumpkin pie calling my name.

We belong together.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, PayPal and computer types. I got an unusual email today. It says it is from a PayPal support notification server. The email address in the "to" line is not my email and I don't know who it is. The message talks about how the account in question has been limited because they "have reason to believe" it was accessed by a third party over six months ago. I don't have a PayPal account. There is no contact information with the message, though there is a link to click if you want to remove account limitations, which I have not touched.

Is this some insidious spam? Should I just tranfer it to junk mail and delete? Has having it in my inbox somehow infected my computer with evil trolls?

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 28, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Great paint chip site, CP.. thanks. I like Moss myself.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, most likely your average everyday Phishing expedition. Delete. Especially if you don't have an account with Paypal.

Real emails will not ask you to provide any information in an email ... you WILL also be linked to the site of the company. In all cases, make sure you check that the site that is requesting data is INDEED the company with which you do business and not a face "near match."

If you have any doubt, you should call the published customer support lines before providing info.

Did everyone see the Line-of-Credit Raiding report that was in today's paper?

Posted by: russianthistle | November 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Dave, do all the wallpaper you want to do!

We did anaglypta in the den. That's wallpaper with texture, so it can be painted. I matched the khaki/tan in the brick of the fireplace to paint the anaglypta. *I* think it looks well, especially with the blue of the kitchen counters and the broken tile of the sunroom which adjoin.

So, follow your own desires and do what you want to!

My turn to ask for advice. I'd like to clean the birdbath, would a small capful of OxyClean and a good scrubbing with a stiff brush do the job and not be bad for the environment?

Posted by: slyness | November 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

TBG... would that be Sterling?

Posted by: russianthistle | November 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a typical phishing e-mail, CquaP. If you don't have PayPal, don't worry about it. Couldn't hurt to forward the note to your ISP or IT folks, though.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

So very sorry, I meant Ivansmom, of course.

*hiding under desk*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Perfectly all right, Scottynuke; I wish I wrote as elegantly as collegequaparkian. This is my home computer so I alerted Ivansdad, who functions as our IT, and he couldn't make sense of it either.

I am holding the Boy's skating expedition hostage to homework, and so far it seems effective.

RD, we have something like "objective subjectivity" in law. That is really what the reasonable person (formerly reasonable man) standard is. And it does confuse law students, along with everyone else.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 28, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, how is Ivansdad's ankle? I hope it's better.

Here's a story for the day after Thanksgiving that, yes, brought tears to my eyes:

Posted by: slyness | November 28, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hi again you smart boodlers. So my frequent change of boodle names does not erase my past. Oh well. I've always liked the name Windy so hopefully I'll keep it a while...at least until my next nervous breakdown. Thanks too, Mudge, for the rendition of Windy--fits me pretty well.

Hey, I have to fly to DC around Dec 12 for the weekend to visit my ailing father who is now 90!!!! (He had me very late in life...really). I was wondering if any of you locals might consider a PBH at the regular place that Friday (the 12th)? I want you to meet me in person (and me you) so you will see that I truly am a regular, slightly mixed-up but cheerful, person who works for a living and really does love the boodle.

I know it is the holiday season with lots of parties for all to attend but just in case anyone has half an hour or so, do let me know. This is a big step for me but if no one can make it I promise I will be okay. :-)

BTW, I still love my new job too.

Posted by: Windy3 | November 28, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

CP, that Arsenic paint color is a very assertative green.

Ivansmom, that paypal thing is indeed an old phishing scam.

Slyness, household bleach is a good disinfectant and seems to degrade rapidly in the sun (not to mention with rinsing).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 28, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

DofCounties: but, wouldn't it be fun to have lace curtains, such green walls, and then dress in Helen Hayes-style and PRETEND! to be in a scene from Arsenic and Old Lace?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think a Dec 12 BPH sounds perfect, Windy3!

I'll be there!

Posted by: -TBG- | November 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes please, an Ivansdad update!!

Windy, the holidays ARE for gathering with friends, so...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Windy, consider yourself penciled in for the 12th.

Lemme see:

All wreaths up in windows, check.
Big wreath over the door, check.
Lights wrapped around big maple tree, check.
Two small lighted trees flanking door, check.
Snowman credenza done, check.
Bay window decorated, check.
5-foot-tall driftwood Santa in place, check.
Main Christmas tree (down-sized) in place, tree skirt under it, ornaments up (this year's ornament theme: places we've visited), check.
Christmas fireplace screen up, check.
House about 90% decorated, check.

Anaglypta? Didn't somebody find a vaccine for that?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 28, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, dagnabitall...

My Swiss-cheese brain forgot we'll be out of town the 12th... :-(((((

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The paint color NCS1070-R20B (doesn't even have a name!) is a close approximation of the color my neighbor is painting her house. It's easier to take on a gray, dreary day.

So Joel was in Seattle for a vacation? Really? Who goes to Seattle in November for a vacation? OK, I did, but still...

Posted by: seasea | November 28, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

CP,
My town is infested with Interior Designers who tend to like assertative colors. Being Florida, everything has to be Tuscan, British West Indies/Bermuda, or some version of Mildew and Spiderwebs with feathered lampshades--which would require a sort of neon avocado green. That Arsenic (or was it Absinthe?) is perhaps a bit too tame.

Doesn't Mount Vernon have some vivid interior paint? I recall something about those muted Colonial Williamsburg colors of my childhood being based on misreading of historic paint samples.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 28, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad WJLA has the "retro" channel going so I can introduce NukeSpouse to "Emergency!"

And thankfully, it's one of the later episodes with better acting... Although the final "situation" was a bit much -- gun nut was playing with his grenade launcher and embedded an HE round in his abdomen. Dr. Brackett had to do a field bomb-ectomy... *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

SeaSea: cannot seem to find the color. Purple? In dreary yet charming, damp but verdant Ireland, shocking colors in the countryside would amuse and show through the fog. Nowadays, everyone is so rich and chic that subtle Martha-Stewarty colors rule.
Dof Counties: on that site, try the colonial palette to see colors. At Mt Vernon, the dining room is brilliant-parrot-bilious green and very accurate if not shocking.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 28, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Used to crack me up to watch the paramedics come out of that station onto a four-lane street in LA with no traffic on it, Snuke...and this was in the Seventies!

Then I met a person from LA who said there really wasn't a lot of traffic on that street. But I still don't believe it!

Yeah, Dave, the dining room at Mount Verson is painted a green that will make your eyeballs turn inside out. But it was fashionable in the late 18th century.

Posted by: slyness | November 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Is this it SeaSea?

This is the color of the house itself? My kids would love it... we always call out "pink house!" when we see one.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 28, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, you should have been writing that show, it would have been much more amusing.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I dunno 'bout dat, Yoki. When the show first aired, I was so wrapped up in enjoying the "realism" I could guess what the call-out was going to be based on the alert tones...

"Ooh, four low tones and a high tone, I bet it'll be two stations and Battalion 14!" *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 28, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Windy, BPH sounds good. I plan to attend.

Posted by: Braguine | November 28, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that old HE-round-in-the-abdomen chestnut. It's beenm recycled quite a lot. The first go-round, IIRC, was in a bkac-and-white TV show with a Korean War setting (might have been Navy Log?), which, again IIRC was based on a magazine article in "True" magazine (my father's favorite). I remember the article, was riveted by it myself. Then I think it appeared in a MASH episode. And I remember a show where they build a snadbag thing around the patient and the doc. Most recently it was in an episode of Grey's Anatomy, where Grey had her hand on the HE and couldn't move, and Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights) was the bomb tech guy/ possible love interest.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 28, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

What would be good alternatives to that bomb chestnut, Mudge... that could actually be talked about on-screen?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 28, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke, I missed the Emergency! episodes. Dag, I haven't see Randolph Mantooth since -- I dunno, probably the Reagan administration.

I really enjoyed Bob and Joel's Diaflog, wrote a couple of pages of notes and questions; we'll see if I have time to follow up on any of 'em.

Half-watching Colorado at Nebraska. Saw Nebraska - with a 7 point lead - try a crazy fake field goal where the holder tried a blind lateral back over his head (from the holding position)to the kicker, but a Colorado defender read the play, intercepeted the lateral and ran it back 60 yards or so for a TD.

And now the score is tied at the half. Whoops.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 28, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

good evening boodle! Walked via skyway to the downtown St. Paul Macy's this morning and managed to take advantage of "door buster" sales without getting up at the crack of dawn or battling any crowds.

Narrowed the kitchen back splash tile choices down to two pretty similar designs. Must decide tonight as the project starts tomorrow. (at least the tile is in stock so if I don't decide until we're on the road to the MN owned big box of hardware I'm ok)

DNAg-so relieved you were spared.

DotC-I love wallpaper! Put a very bold pattern in our NoVA kitchen, but not the Florida style bold of which you speak. Pay no attention to the style police. The very thing they say you simply cannot do today will be the only thing you see in a season or two.

CqP-that green is very similar to the "Celadon" from ValSpar that we used in the bedroom of the Hip Urban Loft. I'm getting ready to paint the new kitchen island at Chez Frostbitten the same color in a high gloss finish. Also used a similar hue for the counter tops in the NoVA house. If green is your thing you will never tire of this-cool all summer, but warms in winter under artificial light. (Can look a bit blue though, if that matters.)

Off to backboodle and follow all those interesting links.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 28, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, CP, that's it. What I would call bright fuschia - Hibiscus on the paint color website is also very close. To me, it would be great as trim - on the entire house it's too much. But in this neighborhood of lookalike old tract houses, I suppose it's reasonable to want to stand out. The neighbors across the street transformed their house into a Mexican hacienda, complete with tiled roof and stucco walls.

Posted by: seasea | November 28, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm experiencing a little frenvy over frosti's Hip Urban Loft. Ah well, some day soon, perhaps.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey - Gene has one of those cool clocks with the marbles. I remember they used to advertise them in the 1970s.

Now I am consumed with mindless envy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 28, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Ivansdad update: the bruising is better but the swelling still extends from the ankle down across the side and top of foot to the toes, and today it hurts. I'm still working on the whole doctor concept - like water on a stone. You understand, if the Boy or I were similarly injured he would insist on an immediate doctor visit. Stoic, that's what he is. Thanks for all your comments and advice, I have found them very useful.

Ice skating, the first of the season, was lovely. It was a crisp bright day. The Boy as usual remembered immediately what he was doing and learned to spin, etc. I progressed from stepping gingerly around the ice to something almost resembling actual skating, though I'm sure without grace. We do what we can. At least I didn't fall down. Now I'm baking a pumpkin pie just for us.

I used to pretend Mt. Vernon was really my house and I just let all those people visit; however, had I been in residence that bright green paint would have to go.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 28, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

So although it might seem like Mr. Weingarten's lair is full of random junk, behind many of them appear to be some great stories:

Posted by: RD_Padouk | November 28, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

His cubicle at the Washington Post is in a similar state, and has all sorts of cool stuff with dials and knobs in it, and I always wish I knew the story behind each one.

Joel's workstation is just as he has described it, only the stuff is mostly books and papers.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Which, come to think of it, more than adequately describes both my work and home offices!

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Mine too, Yoki. Except that the only space I have is the computer armoire so papers stack up on the hearth right next to it. I have to go into the living room to the secretary to write checks.

Posted by: slyness | November 28, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

One on-kit thought: Sun Tzu had a technique for dealing with squealing women who are supposed to be executing deft maneuvers akin to movement on a battlefield-but it involves beheading.

Yoki-I am frenvious of the loft too. Mr. F gets to live here full time. This afternoon we went across the street to a new pub (management lives in the unit above us). 32 beers, mostly Belgian, on tap and dozens more available in bottles and cans-and great food too.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 28, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I must say that Robin Williams performing ballet in giant green flippers is a visual for the ages.
(Captioned Mork & Mindy marathon)

And they say culture is dead...

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 28, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

i just watched the bloggingheads thingy. i can vouch for the former existence of the daily register in shrewsbury, nj. grew up just one town over. even toured the newspaper facilities on a class trip.

Posted by: LALurker | November 28, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

This information, frostbitten, makes me feel mysteriously better.

Posted by: Yoki | November 28, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I have the same filing cabinet as Gene W. The orange, chartreuse or neon pink units were on sale recently at about $30. The respectable colours like black , dark blue or beige were $50. A few screws, two aluminium bars and I have a 4-drawer filing cabinet bright orange.

I think the liquid cat did a bad thing. As as walked down my trap line in the basement this morning I picked up the first mouse of the season but I also found a disturbing scene. I'm no Horatio, a.k.a. the Shades, but I found a sprung trap with quite a bit of blood on it and an even more significant blood puddle nearby. Maybe 2-3ml of blood altogether. But there was no dead mouse. Only blood. Mice don't have much blood to lose, this quantity meant it was from a dead mouse.
I think the cat poached my trap line. That is low on her part.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 28, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Ran into Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes earlier today. The had a three SUV motorcade. Tom, Suri, and Katie dashed into the backstage door of Katie's play as quick as possible.

Just a while ago we spotted Kirsten Scott Thomas signing autographs and posing with fans until everybody was finished before getting into her towncar.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

mudge,

Weingarten's guarding the identity of The Rib is part of his schtick. I was pointing out that he himself outed her about five years ago. Her name was also all over the various stories of his Pulitzer Prize. Methinks the man doth protest too much. If her bosses don't know that her spouse writes for WaPo by now, they are complete ignoramuses.

And I say all this as a proud Pseudonym-American myself.

DotC,
Those descriptions of typical Florida paint schemes are dead on. My house in Florida was ersatz Spanish colonial adobe.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

My rule of thumb for color schemes is to pick the color you like and then buy one shade lighter. Particularly for interior wall shades.

Emergency was the first TV show I remember kids playing on the playground. They would always be re-enacting the show that had just aired. Since my parents didn't let me stay up that late, I never knew what was going on. Other shows that were cool that I was clueless about were Kung-Fu and S.W.A.T.

And Joel is hardly divulging a state secret on the level of Valerie Plame. A Google search for "Gene Weingarten wife" (without quotes) gives her full name from a non-WaPo search on the first page. Just sayin' that that ship has sailed.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

And I am clearly the only one up this late at night, so I will take the hint.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you, yello. How 'bout the YJ that has working combat 'bots?!!

Posted by: -jack- | November 29, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

So a Dec 12 BPH it is--I can't wait to meet some of you. I can meet whatever time works best since I will otherwise be spending much time with my father and his wife. They live in Crystal City near a metro stop. I fly in the night before.

Posted by: Windy3 | November 29, 2008 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I'm going to miss ya, Windy, but I know the gang will give you a proper BPH!

Wow, I still have two days off to go, and the to-do list is pretty short... I like this! *L*

Although I have to admit the NukeHaus continues to test my patience... Wanted to insulate the underside of the living room (directly over the basement & furnace), but upon closer inspection there are way too many wires and such that can't be covered up... *SIGHHHHH as I retrieve another blankie* :-)

But the day dawns clear and bright and very jogging-worthy, so things will be alright. *properly-caffeinated-but-otherwise-scatterbrained-as-usual Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 29, 2008 6:35 AM | Report abuse

'morning boodle, Scotty. Quiet night on the boodle. If it weren't for yello it would have been dead Jim!

The cold morning has transformed yesterday's slush into ice and stryrofoam. I should have cleared it yesterday but I was busy otherwise.

Old houses keep their owner's busy Scotty. This old shack seems to deteriorate faster than we can repair it. Oh well, we like the location.
On to more house repair after more coffee and breakfast.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 29, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

The price of bargains: "Walmart employee trampled to death"

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 29, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

At the risk of boodle hogging I recommend Marcella Hazan's opinion piece in the NYT. She blows her top at non-professional calling themselves "chef" but mostly writes an ode to the family cook. Her "Essentials of classic Italian cooking" is one of my go-to recipe book. There is none of the fancy visuals of most of her other books but it makes a compact, comprehensive and cheap reference book on everything Eyetalian in the kitchen. What she calls "her father's fish soup" has become a family classic.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 29, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Indeed, shriek... *SIGH*

And of course, two dead at a Toys 'R Us in a shooting following an argument... *head in hands*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 29, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

My husband and I discussing the Walmart and the shooting deaths - so terribly sad.

Shriek things are getting interesting in Ottawa :0

Posted by: dmd2 | November 29, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Did anyone else happen to catch the lovely conjunction between Venus and Jupiter last evening? Sure, it was chilly last night, but it was a very nice night for hanging out on the deck with the Orion and a mug of coffee.

I enjoy contemplation under the stars; they're a familiar, peaceful place for me, even when I consider such things as humans and inumanity.

One might ask ourselves, "Why would Bob punch the robot?" and then look at the front page of any of the major newspapers around the world today, and remember that he - just like the rest of us - is human.

When aliens, Observers or objecive subjectivists, look at the things we humans do and ask "Why?" I guess we would suggest that Everything's Relative, and reply, "Well, ya had to be there..."

It's not an excuse or a justification for anything, but simply an admission that humans are just as inexplicable to ourselves as anything else.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 29, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

And in the "Get a Grip" department...

This gentleman seems to forget that HIS SUBSCRIBERS can allow his e-mails with no changes on his part... *rolling my eyes*

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 29, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle. We had a lovely Thanksgiving and now our guests are gone and we expect to be slugs for the rest of the weekend. Yesterday was absolutely lovely, 61 degrees and sunny, so we went for a long walk on the beach which helped dispel the lassitude from Thanksgiving overindulgence.

I caught a blurb yesterday on the Walmart trampling death and I kept flashing on it through the day. It makes me angry thinking about it. Sigh.

I hope everyone is enjoying the remainder of the holiday weekend.

Posted by: Kim1 | November 29, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle. It looks as though the weather here will be warmer for a few days, cooling just as I hop on the plane to DC.

bc, I appreciated your comment of this morning.

I had a splendid day yesterday that balanced fun with friends and domestic duties perfectly. More of the same today, I hope.

Have a good Saturday, my friends.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Caitlin Gibson has a strong piece in the WaPo magazine. CPBr2 performs the orthopedic measure featured in the piece.

BC -- I love Orion, the Mighty Hunter. Have loved him all my star-gazing days. Sirius, too. If light pollution means I cannot see them in Winter, shall have to move.

If you need to buy a book for a young star-gazer for the holidays, consider the story of Plop, a baby barn owl, who learns to love Orion.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 29, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning, Boodle!

Anglo-Irish security detail on Liberian ship owned by Germans jump overboard sans plank when Somali pirates board ship.

After the refreshing swim, the three security people were treated to a helicopter ride and a couple of beers aboard a German frigate.

Haff a good Saturday, everyone.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | November 29, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

good morning boodle! Getting a lazy start this morning with left over sweet potato casserole reheating in the oven for breakfast. It's made with such an unhealthy mix of butter, eggs, and sugar, with a brown sugary pecan topping, that it's really sweet potato pie without a crust.

Will work in a walk along the river some time while the sun is shining today. It can feel quite warm if you stand with your face lifted at just the right angle, and the wind isn't too strong.

Just heard another radio story about how food banks are being stretched beyond capacity this year. I think it's time for our after school program to "grow a row" for the hungry. Last summer we gorged on cherry tomatoes and broccoli at snack time, but it wouldn't be that difficult to expand to a greater variety.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | November 29, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

frosti... that sweet potato casserole is a staple on our Thanksgiving table. The one year my sister didn't make it there was nearly a riot.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 29, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Canadian meteorite from "fireball" located in pieces.

For some reason that spam article got me thinking, Scotty. I don't have a spam problem (because I posted my email address once on the internet and the hell never stopped until I changed that address to something else). Also, using email to "send subscriptions" seems a little bit in-the-box thinking. One suspects instructing the subscribers to use Google Alerts would suffice.

Pseudo-fajitas were tasty last night. I was annoyed no poblanos and the upscale market. Overpriced bell peppers suffice.

Trip to the vet, prior to that, ran $120. Ear infection will now be curtailed; Ms. Dog's medication now in action.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 29, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Orion's Belt is the only star cluster I can reliably identify. Now that I don't walk a dog every morning, I'm losing my connection with the pre-dawn sky. I'm another victim of industrial disease.

I did walk 35 blocks up to the Central Park Reservoir so I could jog around it. I even passed a few old ladies out for a morning stroll.

On the way back, I walked through the park and watched everybody playing with their dogs. It seems that a (hopefully) yet-to-be-used pooper scooper makes a great jai alai xistera for throwing drool encrusted tennis balls.

I also saw people taking pictures of two slobbery wrinkly bulldogs that had been tied to a lamp post. They thought they were sooo cute. I hate those vermin-infested mutts. Go Jackets!

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Good shots of Achenbro are hard to find.

Posted by: Jumper1 | November 29, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. It's raining here, and I did not use that as an excuse not to walk. Had to put a little speed to it, didn't want to get too wet. It's a cold rain. The little bit of warmth we had is gone.

Scotty, Mudge, Martooni, Slyness, Yoki, and all, good morning and have a great rest of the holiday. *waving*

I attempted to watch the video with JA, but can't understand the words.

I had the g-girl yesterday, most of the day. She was busy. Mom showed up later, and the apartment breathed a sigh of relief. I have not been able to reach my grandsons, but my daughter is suppose to go there today, so maybe I can get word on their health.

Anyone still shopping? Take care.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 29, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Been a busy morning already: been to Chik-fil-a and the dump with the household trash (my wife calls this our "quiet time together), to Lowe's (strings of lights, drywall patch), and to Michel's arts/crafts store, where we blew threw $67 (I confess: about half was my fault. I'm a bad influence on the MSoSoMd). But our mantlepiece is gonna be outa sight cool. A 10-foot run of "snow" blanket, then twinkly white lights, snow-painted branches, scattering of fake lemons (for color), six or eight cardinals, sprigs of real holly, etc.

Now off to Safeway for vittles for this and that and for pasta salad for an informal house party this evening.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 29, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Morning all! It's a cool and rainy day in the Carolinas, and the Geekdottir's birthday.

Today is much like the day of her birth. Such an intense 24 hours that was, starting with my mother going into anaphylatic shock on Thanksgiving morning after taking an antibiotic for a scratchy throat that turned out to be a case of the flu. A (barely) timely shot of adrenaline kept her from dying, and we got her home for a belated dinner my brother and I had to cook.

She was supposed to come and keep the Elderdottir when we had to go to the hospital, so I told my brother I'd call him if the time came, which I doubted. Sure enough, I woke up at 12:38 the next morning with little crampy feelings and we had to rush, dropping off a sleepy 3 year old in her uncle's arms at the curb. Geekdottir came into the world at 3:44. She was a week old before her grandmother was well enough to drive to come to see her.

Jumper, one can certainly see the family resemblance with Joel and the Achenbro.

Posted by: slyness | November 29, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, no shopping for us. The Dots recommended that we totally reinvent Christmas:

NO PURCHASES
NO WRAPPING

Regifting of good things and one gag thing.

So, glad to follow the youngens lead here.

Mudge -- am coming to dinner. Will sit in the kitchen. Will serve for food. Will NOT wear French maid get-up (apologies to SD, if needed.)

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 29, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. I didn't have to sign in. Hmmmm. Guess the WaPo was confused by all that holiday food in the fax.

That shopping story is unsurprising but shocking. It also provides another good reason not to shop early on the Big Sale day (somehow it is hard to write Black Friday in connection with a day where someone actually died due to the shopping). You might believe that people at your local big box discounted store would never act that way, but I'm sure nobody in the Long Island crowd thought they'd be anywhere near a trampling incident either.

Windy, I laughed when you say you look forward to meeting some of the Boodlers. In context of course this is perfectly reasonable since we know we won't all be at the BPH. However, I was once asked to speak a few words at a farewell work lunch held in my honor. Unprepared, I spoke the truth as it popped into my brain, which was: "I've enjoyed working with some of you very much." Fortunately the people in that category were amused and the others, clueless as always, missed the implications. Lesson: Never speak when unprepared.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 29, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Of course, Orion's familiar in our skies, but the Orion I was referring to in my 8:47 was my 80mm refracting telescope.

My day - or, really, tomorrow - just took an interesting turn when a good friend called and asked, "How would you like to go and see us lose to the Giants tomorrow?"

A thought on thankfulness: I'm thankful for my loved ones, all of you -- family and friends, real and virtual. Happily (I think) the lines between real and virtual friends is becoming less distinct all the time - I think TBG and other Boodlers are experiencing the same thing... Are we 'crossing the streams,' or becoming more integral?

Speaking of which, I will probably be able to attend part of the BPH on the 12th, but have a prior commitment that I need to attend to later that evening.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 29, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

ivansmom, that's a really funny line to say in such a setting. and i think the trampling death at walmart should embarrass us as a country. it's truly disgusting.

bc, i also enjoyed the "why would you punch the robot" bit.

dnagirl, glad that your family and friends are ok (meant to say that yesterday).

yello, if gene's wife's name is already out there, why bug joel about it in the first place?

Posted by: LALurker | November 29, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Paging Frosti. Do you know about nutrition or school lunch programs that really address poor res diets? I heard about a "Warrior" program that links food choices with native cultures....focuses on meat as a main protein but also lots of frozen veggies....I am trying to help a student....

Others might be interested, as you posted something about school food options earlier in the thread.....do the commodities programs still push peanut butter, white flour, and tubs of (pig) lard?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 29, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Re this column: it seems to me that somebody who resorts to "young adults" "getting nasty" "and hot" SHOULD be blocked, if only because of such cliched writing.

He doesn't need censorship, he needs a clue.

The best "fix" I saw was this:

"Don't use email to send your newsletter. It's really a misuse of the medium to send a large amount of content as email. Use email to send a link to a web page where your newsletter can be read. Then you can stop fretting."

This is why we have links and personal blogs and links, instead of posting novels like, say, here.

I must say I do enjoy Brag's little comic U-boot sketches. And the Fluffitio. And Mo Modo and other blogs.

Moreso, I really do enjoy not having to read those until I have the time to link to the URL, in case it's all about getting hot and nasty in MoDo's shower with Bernard on a pit stop.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 29, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom--you're right--I should have said "I look forward to meeting Boodlers who can attend the BPH on the 12th." I WISH it could be all of you however.

Glad you can make it BC...can you wear your gladiator outfit? :-) Just KIDDING!!!!

Posted by: Windy3 | November 29, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It is gray and cold with spits of snow. My son is sick with the ful, my dog (trying to make it to age 15 next week) has been sick all over the carpets from too many turkey day handouts, and plans to put up outdoor lights have been nixed by the weather. Sooooo, I'm going out to get a shade of green paint for a bathroom redo. Green paint could be a dangerous move. We'll see.

Posted by: Windy3 | November 29, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

SCC--my son is sick with the flu, not ful.

Posted by: Windy3 | November 29, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I won't be in the metro area until the 23ish. Once I figure out what days I can get in to DC, I'll be begging for a BPH.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 29, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Windy, I'll be coming to the BPH from work if I do. We have "casual Friday," it'll be a last-minute call to see if I can push that to "(Get Your) Freak-on-Friday."

They definitely have EV olive oil at M&S, so I'm covered there... (ahem).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 29, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone was sick with the full on Thursday, Windy.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I just had a plate of thursday leftover and feeling a bit peekish myself....perhaps a walk will do.....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 29, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Actually i was thinking about getting in the kayak,it is almost 50 and paddling always goes my heart and soul good.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 29, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes it is very hard to be "good." I know I'm not supposed to laugh at the Wal-Mart greeter who got trampled...but please. And then I just found out Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg last night and won't be playing for the Giants tomorrow. Yeah, the Skins are still gonna lose. But really, I'm trying to keep a straight face here.

Just not succeeding.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 29, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

There's a new M&S down the road from the Cherry Hill Mall (NJ), can we meet there sometime?

At work, feeling fine now but will collapse tonight. Another week of this may do it. I got home late last night and felt so guilty I gave the dogz some of my dinner with theirs (uncommon occurrence). They learn quickly--this morning they were standing in front of me, happy eyes, big smiles, waggy tails, when I had breakfast. So I poached them their own eggs. I think I'm finally getting the hang of the new poachers.

frosti, would love to see pictures.

Re: the column, his complaints made me certain I never want to read his newsletter, which may not be what he had in mind.

Back to work. I'm working on an imaginary process, at least until I get some test data. Until then, it *looks* fine, but one never knows, does one?

Babbling, I'm babbling. Bye, bye Boodle!

Posted by: -dbG- | November 29, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Something to give thanks for: My sister and niece don't ever bake, and my great-niece asked her mom if I'd bake with her when I go to my sister's house for Christmas.

I'm really pleased. I wonder what we're gonna make?

Posted by: -dbG- | November 29, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, Burress was inactive for tomorrow's game anyway, which why (I think) he was out & about last night.

I'm still picking the Giants.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 29, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

A baking bee does sound fun, dbG. Bring your favorite recipes, in case.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | November 29, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Having back-boodled a bit, it's hard to know where to start.

Alas, Windy, I won't be able to come to the BPH, as I have a prior commitment.

As for you, dbG, do you like to make bread? It's a great way to get the "feel" of dough -- I would never (I say *NEVER*) use a bread machine -- it takes all the fun out of the experience. I don't make bread now, but when I did, I used to throw all sorts of stuff in it -- oat bran, nuts, seeds of all sorts -- and it was really delicious. Takes a lot of self control not to rip into a piping hot loaf just out of the oven. Otherwise, cookies are fun for kids, especially when they can use cookie cutters (I almost spelled "cookie cuters" and I had to think whether I was going to leave it that way or not).

Ivansmom -- I hope you can still lasso Ivansdad and stuff him into the car to take him to the doctor. I honestly don't understand why men (generalizing here) don't proactively get health care. Are we afraid of needles here still? Not that he'll get any. Give him a lollipop after his x-ray, and he'll be fine.

Montgomery Mall (down the street where I live) was packed today, as it was yesterday. I take the far outside lane and can avoid all those in line (backed up all the way up 270, for those who are familiar with the area). I am, indeed, bound and determined to avoid all Mall activities until probably late February-March.

And that's the truththththth.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 29, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

ftb, I love making bread. It's a pretty fundamental pleasure I find, kneading bread dough and then eating such delicious food.

The only time I impressed my chef-buddy was when he graciously allowed me to knead the pasta dough; he didn't realize he had a master in his kitchen. He *still* won't let me near the sharps and hots.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Kneading dough - it’s the most fun I have in the kitchen, although making cut out cookies is a close second. We’ll have the granddaughters next Saturday night and I’ll have them decorating cookies. I’m debating about making a gingerbread house. I can cut and cook the pieces and they could put it together. No decorations up yet, too early for me and also no time.

I had a teeth cleaning appt. at 8:45 and a hair appt. at 1:00. In between I was in six or seven stores, including Toys R Us (all customers were well behaved). It was not very busy in any of them. I’ve made a major dent in my shopping and my wallet.

While I was out, “S” cleaned the top of the stove, it looks like it did the day we got it. I am doing nothing tomorrow except a quick run to get wrapping paper. I am ready to collapse on the sofa with some catalogs.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 29, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. Chicken is roasted and partly eaten, stock is cooking, dishes are waiting, and then the rabbit and I will frolic. I live such a wild life.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 29, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Good evening.

Talking about a wild life (not!) - Mr. T and the Geekdottir are putting up the Snow Village; I opted out, to Mr. T's disgust. There is Christmas music on the computer, but I'm not in the mood. The big tree has been up for two days but is yet undecorated. Maybe I'll get around to it Monday. It's not December yet, I'm not motivated.

Posted by: slyness | November 29, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

slyness, this motivation will come. Trust!

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh Yoki, I do trust! It's just that Snow Village is over the top too much, so this year I'll let the other family members do it. I love decorating my very own tree, and this year's is a beauty. Monday, I'll be in the mood.

Posted by: slyness | November 29, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Interesting story here about acorns, or the lack thereof:
When I was in Missouri, in an area with lots of oak trees, there seemed to be plenty there.

I'm not in the Christmas decorating mood yet, either. I'm not sure where we'll put a tree, even a small one, but I suppose room will be found.

Posted by: seasea | November 29, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Acorn crops fluctuate. This may be mostly or entirely due to the vagaries of weather, but there's reason to suspect the oaks engage in a brainless plant-type conspiracy to overwhelm the squirrels with acorns in some years, and to thin the squirrel population in others.

Oaks seem to need squirrels (though I doubt there's much of a literature on the role of squirrels in promoting oak establishment). But they probably don't need an excess of squirrels. Then again, I'm not aware of acorns containing squirrel contraceptives (don't snicker--that sort of thing happens in nature).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | November 29, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

That is an interesting story, seasea. No willow oak acorns here this year, but plenty of bigger ones from the other oaks. Last year, we had masting and a person had to be careful on a walk, not to slip and fall on them. I hope it's just a blip.

Did anyone else read Caitlin Gibson's story about the teenager who had her legs lengthened? Great story, brought tears to my eyes.

Posted by: slyness | November 29, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Great story, agreed!

ftb, I used to make bread a lot, although I use a Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart. I've been thinking of starting again. I don't know what great-niece wants to make, I suspect cookies. I'll see what I can get out of her mother. I'd love to take a cookie cookbook down there, pastry cloth, cutters, but I don't want to scare her!

Posted by: -dbG- | November 29, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

We had plenty of acorns here in west by god, and they started falling on my tin shed roof in July. Also it is kind of funny,any house plants i keep outside in the summer,usually have a small oak tree growing in them the next year.

Had a nice day off,way to soon to think about Christmas decorations and trees,another week or two i guess.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 29, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

This holiday was cool. All of the activity on Wednesday and Thursday was capped off today by helping my FIL R&R a ceiling staircase to his attic.

We have a dishwasher. Now all I have to do is install it.

Posted by: -jack- | November 29, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Had a wonderful time tonight with good friends. A lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend.

My sister started making bread when my mom got sick. She worked out a lot of her tension and trouble through kneading the dough and it became quite a spiritual experience for her... she began to associate bread-making with prayer . It really helped her get through that difficult time.

I know for a few years she didn't buy a loaf of bread. Not sure now if she's still at it so much, but it sure was a delicious way to work through problems.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 29, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I have “S”’s mother’s recipe for Swedish bread which I make every Christmas. It’s full of cardomom and smells heavenly while it’s baking. It has an very smooth and silky dough which is fun to work into braids. I need to clear up some space in the freezer for all these things I’ll be baking.

The problem I have with decorating is that first it’s too early, like now and then, before you know it, you have to get everything up fast so you don’t end up trimming the tree on Christmas Eve. I bought some cute ornaments the other day, birds with real feather tails. Oh and “S” took the top of the old, broken Christmas tree and made a base for it so I can use it in the bay window.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 29, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Ruth Marcus classified Havanese dogs as terriers. Harumph.

Posted by: -jack- | November 29, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Cardamom! In bread! Slices of heaven indeed!
Please share the recipe?

I make Irish soda bread mostly. Traditional style, nothing but wheat and all purpose flour, salt, buttermilk (or yogurt + milk), baking soda, and a teeny bit of butter. Sometimes I do add other ingredients: a smidge of sugar or honey, buckwheat flour, crushed oats, and wheat germ.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | November 29, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

wbg, gwe. So fun you are!

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

wbg motto recently was "Open for Business" Thank goodness they changed it back to West by god Virginia.....Just kidding it is again"Wild Wonderful West Virginia"

Come visit sometime Yoki,I garuantee fun!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 30, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

jack, you know I was thinking about you and your Havanese dogs when Barbara Walters recommended them to the Obamas. Too funny.

A friend and I tried making some kind of Swedish bread many years ago. It involved scissors, and was not a success. Another friend from that time made great soda bread. I'll have to try that again.

Posted by: seasea | November 30, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. I'm trying to get dressed so I can head out the door. I want to go to Sunday school and attend church services later. The weather person says it's raining and cold. I'm not walking this morning, will start back Monday, if life last.

It has been a strange weekend. I've had songs playing in my head, but they've all been very sad songs. Then I read this morning on Yahoo, the twenty saddest songs ever. Dionne Warwick's, "Walk on By" will not walk on by, it just stays there. I want it to go away, but it lingers and catches me unaware. I like the song, but this is too much. And not only is it there, but the sad feeling that goes with the song. When I sing something else, "Walk on By" sneaks back in. It almost feels like torture.

Have a great day, folks. The weekend is almost over, and time to get back to work. I stayed in yesterday because it was rainy and dreary. A bit chilly, too.

Scotty, Mudge, Martooni, Yoki, and good morning to all.*waving*

Slyness, I'm not in a decorating mood either, and I don't know if Monday will find me any different. It may take me awhile.

Time for coffee.

Posted by: cmyth4u | November 30, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

'morning boodle, Cassandra.
T'was too cold to decorate outside yesterday. Today will not be better as 4-6 in. of snow/sleet/freezing rain is forecasted. I suspect the outside seasonal decoration will be minimum this year.

Jack, I looked up those Havanese terrier, they are so cute! Almost as cute as my Dogue de Bordeaux terrier. The old Labrador terrier will be happy with all that snow coming.

Mudge admitted at laughing at the demise of the WallyWorld greeter so I can confess I laughed at the guys starting a semi-auto handgun battle in the toy store. I mean in what other country could it happen? Bulgaria or some other mafia-controlled former communist country? Nah, there is no toy store there; they would fight it out in a bar or something. It was really the quintessential American moment.
I've got a big cooking and cleaning day in front of me, better get it going now.

Old Will comments on Obama's failure to lift the economy. Can someone get the old man a calendar?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | November 30, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm back from New York. Yesterday we ate at some "only in New York" places. At Dumpling Man they only serve Chinese dumplings. They have about a dozen flavors but we tried the pork and the signature shrimp flavor. You eat the dumplings at a long skinny counter while watching three ladies make hundreds of dumplings on the other side of a glass partition (Dumpling Man does a huge internet business).

The we found out we were only a few blocks from S'Mac which serves nearly a dozen different varieties of macaroni and cheese. We got the sampler skillet which had eight flavors in little pie-shaped wedges. Some of the ingredients in the more exotic flavors include manchego, brie, shiitakes, jalepenos, mozzarella, gruyere, and andouille sausage.

Life is good.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I watched TalkingHeads this morning. Thanks guys for the always interesting, occasionally brilliant, but mostly benign ramblings. After the first 10 minutes, I clicked on the link to play it at 1.4 x speed, and was amply rewarded. Helium effect, full force. Once you listen to it for a while at that speed, the feeling goes away, but I laughed out loud at the voices in the transisiton.

If it is still the season to be thankful, I am thankful for sore feet. Its really very interesting being on the other side of the retail counter for Christmas. And rewarding. I miss sitting at the computer, clicking in and out of the conversation throughout the day, but I would not change my sore retail working feet to sit at that computer screen again, for a million bucks. I get to play with string, and life is very very good.

Faxing everybody the biggee size of Carbucks special blend just to get the morning moving along. I'll fax yours Cassandra, when you get back from church.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 30, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, DR, perfect, perfect. And with pie. Life is good.

I checked last night: NO ACORNS, 'tall, really. Weird.

White Oaks NONE
Red Oak NONE
Willow Oaks (2) NONE
Pin Oaks NONE

I do not see maniacal or starving squirrels.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 30, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

dr, may I have mine now? I'm the sleepyhead this morning, didn't wake up till 7:30 and didn't get out of bed till 7:50. It's cold and rainy, good reason to stay snuggled under the covers.

Gotta get started if I plan to be to church on time, so later, peeps.

Posted by: slyness | November 30, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

And it strikes me, that right about 8:27 a.m. this day in 1981, the tall, handsome, and mildly goofy son, known to you as Kerric, was born. He was quite literally, not a pain in the patootie then, or now.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 30, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

On its way, Slyness. CP? Pie for breakfast? My favourite.

Posted by: --dr-- | November 30, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

We feel a certain way about these days, don't we, DR. I am happy for all of you.

I felt a similar way last week at 5:17 PM. DR, I like it that the boy is now way taller than me, especially when he hugs and looks down at the same time. Have two or seven of those today with the man known as Kerric. And, buy him some glow-in-the-dark golf balls or something.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 30, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday to my favorite Canadian young man!

I hope you get to hug and hold him today, dr, and give him a good sniff on the top of the head just like I'm sure you did the day he was born. (Here we are, back to smelling babies)

Cassandra... thanks for putting that tune cootie in my head. I'm hoping that my passing it along, "Walk on By" has walked on by for you by now. Believe it or not, we sang that in chorus back in high school, so when I hear it in my head, I hear the alto part that I sang. Weird.

It's cold and rainy this morning here and expected to stay this way all day, through the Redskin game that my sister and her husband are attending (as is a certain olive-oil covered boodler, I might add). We're watching their boys today while they "enjoy" the game. I'm sure there will be little to enjoy both off and on the field.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 30, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Kerric.

And no thanks to the Hokies, my son doesn't have to travel to the ACC championship game in Tampa the weekend before exams start.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday to Kerric (now go over and hug your mom :-))

dr, liked your post about work, I have had to suspend reading the boodle during work hours but since I am enjoying the work so much I can wait til I get home.

Posted by: dmd2 | November 30, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. Happy birthday greetings to Kerric, and belated greetings to SonofCqP.

Cassandra, church should get rid of those tune cooties. There is usually at least one good hymn or anthem in every service. Even if you can't hear it well, reading the words will remind you of the tune and you can remember it instead the rest of the day.

And remember, if all else fails, sing the words of "Amazing Grace" to the "Gilligan's Island" theme song tune. That will eradicate pretty much anything.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 30, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all and a very Happy Birthday to Kerric!

I'll post that Swedish Bread recipe a bit later on today. I never knew "S"'s mother, but I feel sure she would be pleased to share it.

That cold rain you are having is headed this way, so I need to do a few errands while it's dry. Then I swear I'm going to be a slug the rest of the day.

Posted by: badsneakers | November 30, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Only time to check in quickly as I'm heading over Fed Ex Field to sit in the cold rain and watch my beloved Hometown NFL Franchise as they likely lose to division rival New York Giants.

Look for me on TV, I'll be the cold wet guy in the upper deck.

Have a great day, all. (Actually, I will.)

bc

Posted by: -bc- | November 30, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Happy Sunday, all!!!

Not all tune cooties are kind, Cassandra, but I'm sure you know how the g-girl's laugh can clear all that up. :-)

Happy Birthday, Kerric!! *faxin' a pile of freshly knitted mittens that just appeared in my fax in-box (checking the incoming calls for CquaP, et al)* :-)

Going to attempt to get the tree into the house from the garage with minimum moisture involvement. Wish me luck. *L* Apart from that, a quiet Sunday for the NukeHaus. So may it be for us all. *wondering-why-this-thing-called-work-will-interrupt-the-rest-of-life-again-tomorrow Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 30, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle. Busy morning chez Yoki, have a Pet Therapy visit scheduled later with some young people in need of Berner-love. And must first corral the B-girl and get her bathed and groomed.

Another beautiful day predicted here, and I plan to enjoy it to the full.

Football and hockey on the same day!

Posted by: Yoki | November 30, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

My bad. Happy Birthday, Kerric. And well done, dr, well done.

Posted by: Yoki | November 30, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

morning all
cold and nasty here in west by god.we had ice this morning early but it has just changed to a cold rain.Good day to stay inside and watch and listen to football.I think I will watch the skin/giants and listen to ravens/bengals......

What a glorious day for football? stay warm and dry out there people.

purplewithenvy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 30, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

GWE will be warm, LiT and Omni too.

But, ScottyNuke, head over to BC's house and fire up the hot tub and put a hot water bottle on his flannel pjs.....you can also leave a thermos of hot toddy. I will fax the Jamesons, Jack Daniels is only a shade of the real water of life.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | November 30, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I've been in the Bengal, and you are more likely to see an Asian Fairy Bluebird than a Raven, there.

Posted by: Yoki | November 30, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Brag, you out there? I need to find a way to e-mail you.

Feeling sorry for bc and for some friends of TBG, who are at the Redskins game, sitting out in that cold, raw, miserable weather. bc is sitting on the 45-yard line, upper deck, right above Dan Snyder's box.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | November 30, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mudge... I just emailed Brag's address to you.

Posted by: -TBG- | November 30, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse