Obama Visits Post Newsroom

IMG_4528.JPG

Here's the President-elect walking directly toward me in the Post newsroom a few minutes ago, but tragically unfocused on his favorite blogger -- clearly more interested in the colleague on my left, the fabulous Lonnae O'Neal Parker.

I was going to tell him that if he needed any tickets to inaugural events, he should call me, because I've got connections. But I froze up and just shook his hand and said good luck. [Update: See the David Nakamura piece and note that, in the photo, Obama is shaking someone's hand. I know that hand like I know...oh, never mind.]

IMG_4529.JPG

Another action shot. There was no applause or anything undisciplined and unprofessional, but the newsroom got pretty worked up about his visit (he'd met with the editorial board earlier). He worked the whole room, made a full circuit, bantered up a storm. He posed for only one picture, with an electrician Don said was the longest-serving employee in the building. At one point, Obama saw a pregnant staffer.

"When are you due?" Obama said.

"Next week," she said.

"I hear Barack is a good name," he said.

[See the comments for the truth about the crowd outside the Post "cheering" for Obama -- there weren't any Post reporters out there, contrary to what you might be led to believe by Drudge.] [UPDATE: I now see that Drudge has, to his credit, changed his headline and stipulates that Post reporters weren't among those cheering. AND he links to the A-blog!! Because he knows I'm pals now with Barry Obama!!!]

[Howie gets it exactly right:

'Inside, as Obama finally came full circle around the warren of offices and cubicles, he declared: "All right, back to work!" And he had correctly analyzed the situation: All work in The Post newsroom had stopped.

'Does the episode, which some staffers muttered was a tad embarrassing, mean the paper's staff has a soft spot for Obama? Not really. It means that when an extremely famous and soon to be very powerful person shows up at the office, journalists act like people everywhere. They gawk. ']

[More from Michael Calderone and The Fix.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 15, 2009; 3:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fighter Pilot vs. Alien Invaders
Next: Inauguration Lunch: "Birds"

Comments

cool!!!!!

Posted by: MissToronto | January 15, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Everyone probably knows this already, but fyi, a US Air jet has dunked in the Hudson but it looks like they can get everyone out. Lots of rescue workers on the scene. The plane is apparently floating.

Posted by: joelache | January 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, JA, the plane, ferries, Coast Guard and NYFD boats all floating downstream as they get people out...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 15, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

My TV-watching wife reports there are lots of passengers on the wings, wearing life jackets. Plane is surrounded by rescue vessels, official and not.

Plane is an Airbus 320, outbound to Charlotte from LaGuardia. That model holds up to about 150 people, depending on configuration. Being a shuttle, it was most likely full, or very close to it.

The Obama visit is just too way cool, as Miss T says.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Of course, if we find out he also toured the Washington Times newsroom I'm going to be VERY disappointed.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 15, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, he HAS to tour the Washington Times newsroom, if only for the fun of making them act polite to a man they consider the devil-spawn of liberalism.

Quite a few years ago, now, the Post had a Style article about how no commercial aircraft had ever made one of the water landings of which they so carefully warn us before takeoff. Time to update that little factoid.

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 15, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

If he toured the Star newsroom I'm going to look for Rod Serling in the background...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 15, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

60 people on board; no word on injuries or deaths.

Plane hit a flock of birds, which caused crash. Pilot was able to radio that message.

Fuselage still floating, current trying to carry it downstream. A Coast Guard boat is stopping it from doing so.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Now reporting 146 passengers, 5 crew. That sounds more reasonable.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 15, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

*Tim, I couldn't help thinking about Geo Carlin.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 15, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not jealous or envious or even frenvious, but I can just picture this exchange between Joel and his better half over dinner this evening...

"Anything exciting happen at the office today?"

"Nah. President-elect Obama stopped by. We talked."

"Oh, that's nice. Did you ask him for a parking space?"

"He's only going to be President. He doesn't have that kind of power. But Weingarten... hmmm..."

sheesh... and I get excited when the mailman shows up. "Junk mail! Junk mail for everyone! And bills! Bills, bills, glorious bills!"

Posted by: martooni | January 15, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Appears everyone rescued, no fatalities, no serious injuries. Was 20 degrees, and some wind chill. Passengers appear in good spirits. Birds knocked out both engines. Crashed off 50th street. Pilot appears to have done one helluva good job putting her down.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 15, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

SciTim, I recalled the same factoid. Well, whaddya know. Turns out those PFDs aren't just for floating around the crash scene.

Posted by: engelmann | January 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

My brother called to ask about Mr. T, who actually should be on the ground in Orlando right now.

I hope everybody is okay. This is not a good time of the year for a water rescue.

So cool about the President-Elect visiting WaPo. Good PR on his part, too. I will be so happy when he's no longer President-Elect.

I'm still buried under cop wreck deaths. Actually, I've noted a trend: in every last one of them, all thirteen, the cause of death is head trauma. Wearing seat belts, not wearing seat belts, ejected, not ejected, they all died because their heads were hit hard.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Joel, that is so cool that you got to meet the Pres-Elect in Person. Did he happen to mention me? No? We'll he has a lot on his mind.

See, this job of your does have some nice perks besides that whole, you know, minions bit.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Official: 100 percent rescued.

Must have been thousands and thousands of eyewitnesses. Bet we'll soon start seeing eyewitness videos of the plane ditching.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 15, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Plane now sunk, only top of tail above water.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 15, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Amazing pic of that US Air jet on the WaPo homepage. Let's hope that all those people get home with nothing worse than a bad chill and a scary tale to tell.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

FAA: Everyone was rescued. Hopefully that's true.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | January 15, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Holy carp! My 'net connection is running a bit slow today and I don't have the TV on, so I didn't see the news about the plane going down until now.

I'm glad it appears there were no fatalities and that they've rescued the passengers and crew.

I think we should try to recruit that pilot for the Dawn Patrol. He done good.

Posted by: martooni | January 15, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Glad everyone is OK on that plane, I remember my first flight into LaGuardia (when I was 19?), I didn't know before hand it was so close to the river, and was a little startled to see us so close to the water.

Very cool about Obama.

Posted by: dmd2 | January 15, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Yay for the US Airways pilot and the crew! I'm glad the crash procedures worked. First report is that there was pandemonium initially, but people calmed down and went to the exits.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Watching the live coverage on CNN right now...

Jeez. Oh. Man.

Again, I'm glad there were no fatalities, but how often do planes go down and there aren't? Sounds like everyone kept their heads about them which probably went a long way toward everyone surviving the crash.

Kudos again to the pilot for getting that bird down in one piece.

Posted by: martooni | January 15, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Another hed with issues "FAA Spokeswoman Says Plane May Have Been Hit By Birds".
Given the respective speeds of birds and plane I'd say the plane hit the birds. No kamikaze gulls here.
CNN also has "engines sucked up birds". Well the engines may have ingested birds but they weren't sucked up from miles away. Mrs. D informs me that aircraft engine mechanics favourite job isn't to dismantle birded up engine. Go figure. The Hudson river might have washed up the engine by the time they get to the investigators.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 15, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

SCC engines, twice.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 15, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful to see PEOTUS thanking his campaign workers for their efforts on his behalf. It was a bit late and discrete, but heartfelt I'm sure. Can't wait to hear all the good news that will flow from the pages of the Post now that their man is in. I guess this means that bailout money will flow to the media giants that no thinking person believes any more.

Posted by: maxtel1910 | January 15, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I was thinking we should have a front page alert, but I don't see anything. How about the local edition, do we have a link on the front page there?

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

On the crash:

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think that meeting Obama is way more cool than watching an airplane ditch (and I only say it that way, since everyone got out alive and there appear to be no injuries -- otherwise I'd be way more circumspect).

In regard to the Obama meeting, I, for one, will use a line I used with a client today (same age as Mudge and me), as he described some property he owned. I said -- "you know, don't you, that you are giving me a contact high (as we used to say in the '60s)" We both laughed at that, with fond memories. Alas. . .

I got invited to watch the Inauguration on a ginormous screen TV with digital HD and copious amounts of eats and drinks. The problem is that he and his wife live right behind the Supreme Court (which I think is fabulous) and I won't be able to get down there -- even by Metro, I need a cane to walk that distance and that ain't gonna happen. *sigh* I told him that I really, REALLY *REALLY* regretted having to say no, but geez it woulda been terrific. *sigh*

I am, however, getting stoked by the prospect, not to mention the incipient reality, of President Obama. Joel, never wash that hand!

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | January 15, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Nice photo of the president-to-be, who's looking in great spirits.

I'm trying to think of another successful water ditch by an airliner. The successful landing and evacuation is astonishing, considering the cold weather and freezing water.

Today, the new kitchen came close to completion, just over two months after work began.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 15, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the leftwing WashPost should slobber over Obama and hate the GOP a little more openly. Seriously...

Posted by: ikez78 | January 15, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I came home sick today or I wouldn’t have seen the news of the plane so soon. MSNBC has not broken into their coverage of it for two hours. I know it’s news and I’m very glad that everyone is ok, but do we really need non-stop coverage?

Joel, I am filled with envy to the point of being speechless.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 15, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Just in case anyone is wondering: The pool reporter for the press today was a dyspeptic NYTimes reporter who jokingly suggested that the crowd outside the Post waiting for Obama and "cheering" was comprised of Post reporters.

This was not true, of course. I checked out the crowd on the way to lunch and there were zero, count 'em, zero Post reporters waiting outside. (Why, um, would we wait outside when he was IN OUR BUILDING.)

THEN: Michael Calderone of Politico quoted the pool report. So far no problem.

THEN: Drudge linked to Calderone with a headline saying there was "cheering" at the Post for Obama.

THEN: People went to Calderone's blog and posted nasty comments about the Post cheerleading for Obama.

THEN: I posted a photo of Obama in the newsroom and Calderone obligingly linked to it.

So some folks who started at Drudge may wind up posting their views here, via Calderone. Which is fine and dandy.

Posted by: joelache | January 15, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how it works done there but seems to be similar, here all political leaders meet with the editorial staff of at least the major papers, whether the paper supports them or not.

Posted by: dmd2 | January 15, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Joel. Seldom do we get the etymology of a rumor and resulting confusing drivel so neatly explained, and so early too. Now we know they are confused, and why, and we needn't be.

I'm cheering for the pictures, though. What unexpected fun for you all!

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 15, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up, Joel. That is so cool that you shook Barack's hand! You can call him Barack, right? Did GWB ever come by and talk to the "regular" folks? Or Clinton? Seems like Obama likes to get out and about, and that's great...kind of wish he was in a glass bubble, though.

Glad there were no fatalities from the plane crash, which I have only just heard about.

Posted by: seasea | January 15, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Martooni, talk about the puter being slow today! Microsoft in their wisdom sent out an update last night to windows per the little message when I powered up this morning 'windows installed an update the make more secure which required a restart' Like making it ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO ACCESS ANY WEBSITE!
Next week free at last, free at last. Yesterday I ordered a Mac mine from the Apple store.

Posted by: bh71 | January 15, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Catching up to the Boodle, real time.

Firstly, I am so thankful for the skill of the pilots and crew that saved the passengers of that US Air plane currently adrift in the Hudson. A fully loaded jetliner, full of fuel, losing it's engines during ascent near the most highly populated city in North America -- so many things could have gone terribly wrong... whew. Those folks are heroes, IMO.

Life on Mars? It took me two hours to drive to work this morning - ya call *that* living? Bah!

Well, if you're using the presence of methane to determine if it's Life or simply Weird Chemistry in my commutermobile, all I'll say is: It wasn't me... [at least I didn't say He Who Smelt it Dealt It. My kids would, though.]

[Actually, I'm very glad to have a job to go to, these days. Sometimes a 2-hour commute through the ice and snow along I-270 in a compact car isn't so bad.]

Re. the New NASA guy and Modern Major General Johnathan Scott Gration (a Major General, and a three-namer? Oh, my.)--

my sources cannot confirm the rumor that he insists everyone address him by his nickname, "Red Five."

I wonder what the Chinese and Russians think of Red Five's appointment? Seems like the kind of guy you might want in place if you were going to merge the Civilian and Military Soace Programs, particulary the Manned Programs.

More later, I think.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 15, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't surprise me that Drudge has picked up on this. It is like catnip to those who believe that Obama was elected because the media used their special mind-control powers to hypnotize us into voting for him. Fine. I have long learned that weird conspiracy theories are hard to disprove.

But I must ask such people a question. If the media in general, and the Washington Post in particular, were able to so easily manipulate our behavior, then why haven't they used their Jedi Mind Tricks to increase revenue from home-delivery?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "Space"
Clearly, spelling and grammar are the Final Frontier for me.

Off Kit, but still related - doesn't President Bush deliver his Valedictory (*very* temping to alter that spelling. Very.) address tonight?

I'm betting that he spikes his personal copy of the Constitution (you know, the one with the lines drawn through sections, the yellow sticky notes from Cheney, Rove, Gonzales, Meiers pages stuck together, and Slurpee rings) does an End Zone dance.

And he'll toss his mortarboard into the air like Mary Tyler Moore. I wonder what color robe he'll wear?

Finally, if Obama can invite Rick Warren to speak at the Inauguration, perhaps he can tour the Was Times newsroom, too. And maybe the Fox News rooms on Wisconsin Ave, too (used to drive past them every morning on my way to work...).

LiT - I hesitate to ask if I'm a Stooge, or one of the Marxist brothers.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 15, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

RD, the MSM is a victim of its own success, man. It has transformed all of the sheep it has manipulated into liberal sleeper agents that no longer require ongoing programming (to the detriment of the MSM) but are ready to be activated by the codeword which I understand to be "JEB2012", whatever that means.

Posted by: engelmann | January 15, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for that alert, Joel. We'll see how well-mannered our visitors are.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 15, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Whew, I was beginning to wonder where the riffraff was coming from. Thanks for clearing that up, Joel.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Can you get ANYTHING right? It WASN'T "Drudge" who wrote that there was cheering outside the Post's building, but the NY Times writer, Helene Cooper. SHE wrote, "Around 100 people--Post reporters perhaps?--awaited PEOTUS's arrival, cheering and bobbing their coffee cups."

Drudge merely linked to the Cooper story, but did NOT write anything on the matter. If you can't get a simple fact like this right, it's no wonder the print media is going extinct.

Posted by: EagleInNYC | January 15, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm more worried about your reading ability than Joel's fact-checking ability, EagleInNYC.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 15, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

OK. Try and follow reason with this. First off, this article blog was changed since it's been linked to all over the InterTube. Next, who would be outside of the Post other than those that work there? Get this, the Secret Service would not have given a time as to Moses's arrival. From reports from other Post employees, they didn't know He was coming at all. Those that showed up outside, had mostly came out of the building as he arrived. To say there weren't reporters out there is to say the least, moronic. However not all were reporters. Most were not. Most were employees of The Post. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You say, "Why would we wait outside of our own building if he was coming in?" Seems rather obvious to those with a brain. I certainly would come out of my building to see Moses arrive. You'd be dumb not to.

Posted by: thebigdr | January 15, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

And we have our answer, Wilbrod!

I've got three bottles of chilled Gewurtztraminer, a pineapple and a piece of really fabulous Camembert, so I'm heading into the bunker.

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I see you have a new fan club, Joel.

Speaking of never getting anything right, when was the last time you spelled your own name properly?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 15, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I believe you're right, bc. I plan to continue my tradition. In eight years I haven't watched a Bush speech or press conference and I don't intend to start with the last one.

Here, with any luck, is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/opinion/15collins.html?_r=1&em

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 15, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Do you have a ham to go with that pineapple?

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 15, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there in a few minutes, Yoki. You want me to bring the lovely baugettes I got today? I also splurged on some Silton with ginger and mango, I'll share - but only with those in the bunker.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

BHO meeting with the faithful. Very nice. I think he's a racist, punk, fraud....outside of that, he's OK.

Posted by: brotherobert | January 15, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

An immaculate reception.

BEHOLD! HE COMETH AMONGST US!

I heard that his urine is a healing balm and that his tears will cure cancer, but that he has never cried.

BEHOLD!

Posted by: DrPearl | January 15, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I'm bringing some ginger beer, Pirat rum, and hunks of candied ginger to make some Rum cocktails...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 15, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

As we say around here when changing the subject, "How about them Cowboys?"

Or, perhaps thinking of dinner in the Bunker, "This is excellent fish."

Looking forward to joining the crew later.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 15, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

FYI, as I just noted in the kit, Drudge has tweaked his headline to stipulate the the Post reporters weren't among those cheering.

To our visitor "thebigdr," the Post sits right downtown on 15th street, which, though blocked to cars by police vehicles, still was open to pedestrian traffic. I saw no one from the newsroom in the crowd waiting on the street. There were people across the street, down the block, etc. -- it's a street with office buildings cheek by jowl.

Posted by: joelache | January 15, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how many people actually think Obama is so great when there is no evidence at all of him doing anything at all, much less great. Hell he is a politician from Chicago. Really?? Great is not the word that comes to mind. I am not ready to write him off nor am I ready to knell before him as if he will fix all. His socialist views scare the hell out of me. Sure hope my instints are wrong.

Posted by: dannysrcy | January 15, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod_Gnome,

You’re so sloppy, are you related to Sandy Bergler?

Here’s the archive of Drudge’s page:

(From 2009/01/15 Thu 16:35:33 EST ^ (21:35:33 GMT) )

Note: At the top, left is the pertinent headline:
“'CHEERING' AT THE WASHINGTON POST FOR OBAMA ARRIVAL...”

Note too that the word “cheering” is in quotes, denoting that the word is the original author’s term.

The link is to Michael Calderone’s blog at Politico.com”

… where he quotes the New York Times’ Helene Cooper:
“Around 100 people--Post reporters perhaps?--awaited PEOTUS's arrival, cheering and bobbing their coffee cups.”

So, instead of blaming Helene Cooper, who wrote the story, and instead of blaming Michael Calderone for writing about Cooper’s story, Joel Achenbach blames DRUDGE for linking to the story.

MediaBistro also has a story about Cooper’s writing:

instead So, to reiterate, contrary to what Achenbach claimed, Drudge did not write, that there were “Post reporters out there (cheering), contrary to what you might be led to believe by Drudge.” In fact, Drudge didn’t write ANYTHING. He merely linked to it.

Posted by: EagleInNYC | January 15, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I happen to work with a person with a great deal of up-close experience dealing with aircraft disasters, and he and I just stared at the TV this afternoon in near-disbelief at the virtuosity of the pilots and the snap-to-it response of boats on the river. Those pilots are going to need back surgery -- not because of the crash, but from straining to hold their heads up after everyone from POTUS to the local borough chairman finish placing all the medals around their necks and pinning more to their chests!!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 15, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Like this would have happened if a Republican visit. Look, you're liberal, quit being defensive and just go with it. You guys fawned over this man as if you were 12 and meeting Myley Cyrus. Your blog reads like a teenage fan.

Posted by: CommonSense46 | January 15, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

The fact that it is such a believable story even if it didnt happen is should be enough to cause some concern at the Post.

Posted by: dan2k3 | January 15, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? The Washington Post and all the other liberal media outlets have made it their objective to protect Obama from any criticism and prop him up when he makes mistakes.

Posted by: tsapp77 | January 15, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Drudge writes headlines. To his credit he corrects them when he is wrong.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

All right, I'm hoisting the storm flag. E#verybody into the bunker!! You guys know where we all go when it gets like this? We'll, let's get over there, pronto.

(Women and children first, of course.)

(FTB, I have no idea what "a contact high" might possibly refer to.)

(Bwahahahahahaha.)

OK, I'm outta here...

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 15, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes, clearly there was no unprofessional gushing or anything like that. The entire post staff behaved just like the unbiased, dispassionate professional "journalists" that they are. They are much like the MSNBC staff in that regard.

What a joke. He's your guy and you've got him in there now. All of us who aren't brain damaged know how this all works. We've seen it before.

Hope! Change! Yes we Can!

We can HOPE to have CHANGE left over when the dems are done.

Posted by: kmne68 | January 15, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

What would people have preferred the WaPo employees to do when the most famous person on the planet shows up? Stand there scowling? Please.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

We should call you the "Tingle Up the Leg" media.

Posted by: EagleInNYC | January 15, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Padouk, make a run for the bunker! I'll cover you...

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 15, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

OMG, it sounds just fabulous. I'm past child bearing age, but I may adopt just so I can name my children Obama.

Posted by: kaymad | January 15, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, thanks for the link to the Collins column. I really do want to cry - loudly - when I think of the surplus 8 years ago and what shape we'd be in, if we hadn't squandered it.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

These people do not scare me, Mudge. They have a story that makes them happy. That Obama is the President because the media tricked us into voting for them. Fine. Let them believe what they want. Who really cares.

Joel has clearly and honestly reported on an exciting visit from the next President of the United States. No more. No less. The rest is just folks spittin' in the wind.

And I know which way the wind is blowing.

But if Yoki still has some of that Gewurtztraminer on ice, I might still drop by just to be sociable-like.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I can't find the bunker ... but I'm wanna post about the crash, so it doesn't matter.

I was driving back from Bastrop State Park with the dogs when the NPR story came on. They interviewed a guy who was on the plane. In a nutshell: the engine blew up, the plane turned slowly left and decended, the pilot said nothing until ... "Prepare for impact."

I actually shouted out loud in the car ... AAAAAAAAAAAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! PREPARE FOR IMPACT! Can you imagine.

I hope I would have laughed that hard had I been on the plane, but I think I would have only soiled myself.

What a miracle. Buy that pilot a drink.

Posted by: KathrynAPage | January 15, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom and slyness, c'mon, get into the bunker please. Go where we always go when we evacuate, please. Yoki's got the gewirtraminer out, and martooni has just bid two no trump.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 15, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Kathryn, the bunker is located at the bottom of the place where Gen. Grafton made his appearance.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 15, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

What an insensitive bunch of louts!!

How DARE you even THINK about all those poor people on that plane when the Messiah is visiting the Washington Post!!!

Really!!

Posted by: joeblotnik49 | January 15, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

dishonest partisan hacks... keep your head in the sand about your bias....unreal....true partisan liars to the end i guess

Posted by: ikez78 | January 15, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

What did you expect a WaPo journalist to do? Ask a tough question? No Way!! Obviously, the WaPo didn't expect a NY Times reporter to expose their blatant lust for for Obama. I mean, it is not like D.C. could use $47 million in Emergency Obama Funds for anything else. The schools are great, there is no crime, the economy is soaring. We have been lectured that the grassroots can contribute millions on demand for the Democrats. Why not let them fund the DC expenses?

I suppose the irrelevancy of the WaPo will continue, layoffs will be ongoing, and more and more "reporters" will be taking those sabbaticals. Labor Secretaries who don't answer questions don't matter -- it is party time! Treasury Secretaries who misuse the tax code -- party on! A key economic advisor was Chairman of Citibank while it lost billions and cost taxpayer even more! It's hammer time!! A political hack as the head of the CIA? boogy down!

Silly, silly WaPo. The fainting women at Beatles Concerts were more dignified and better journalists.

Posted by: Cornell1984 | January 15, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

"Gail Collins at the NYT has a very very funny column about it today. Here's a teaser: "The rhetoric is the one part of the administration we’re surely going to miss. We are about to enter a world in which our commander in chief speaks in full sentences, and I do not know what we’re going to do to divert ourselves on slow days."

That is hilarious! How does Gail come up with this stuff? 'speaks in full sentences', that's a riot. I have $100 someone copies that line tomorrow. Why didn't anyone think of that one yet? News folk are geniuses.

Posted by: permagrin | January 15, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

JA, I think it is so cool that you guys got to meet the President-elect. And the pictures are great.

I'm getting ready to hug my bed, so I'll miss the bunker, and even better, I'll miss some of the comments. I don't think I'll ever understand how some folks can talk about the President-elect in negative terms, he hasn't even been sworn in yet, and these same folks completely bypass the past eight years, and all the stuff from that. Maybe I'm missing something. There's one God, and one Christ, and President-elect Obama isn't either one.

Night, boodle. Sweet dreams.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 15, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Come on, just admit it. You guys at the WaPo are ga-ga over The One. You'd never get this worked up over Bush or any other GOP President you could imagine.

Why is it so hard for you guys to just openly admit that you are far more in like/in love with liberal guys in power? It just makes you sound like tools when you deny it publicly and then just tank your stories on the front page and editorial pages at the same time.

If there is nothing wrong with being a liberal, why are you all so incredibly embarassed by admitting you are one? So many people in the WASH media are reflexively defensive about being thought to be biased or liberal but it's like pretending you're not human or left handed. Nobody outside D.C. believes the denials and it just makes the rest of us believe that you're a liar in addition to being a liberal.

If you really aren't a liberal, then what's with the seeming idol worship about a dude showing up at your office? Does he give off some kind of superpower that sends a tingle up your leg? Does he glow with an aura of power? Seriously. Haven't you been in the same room with enough 'important' people in D.C. yet?

Posted by: bpjam | January 15, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

BTW, which would have been a bigger deal:

Obama showing up or Brad Pitt?

(It's hard for those of us in flyover country to tell since your blog sounds a lot like a Miley Cyrus fan site today.)

Posted by: bpjam | January 15, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm here already!

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Who changed the locks? Let me in! Let me in! This is too much for even me.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 15, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

My very defensive and tries too hard to prove a point and in doing so accomplishes just the opposite. In other words just another male infatuation w/ girly obama. I was totally shocked that Chrissy Matthews didn't write this.

Posted by: wapoisajoke | January 15, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

In 2005 their was a media blitz on how much money was spent on George W's innauguration ("how dare he!").

In 2009 there is a media blitz on how exciting and wonderful this inauguration is going to be- let alone it will be $160 million- almost 4 times Bush's- during one of the nations worst economic times.

Where are the lists of things we could spend $160 million on. Hey, even half of that would still be twice as much as Bush's inauguration.

It is starting to be clear to the "regular" people that Obama is, in fact, an egotistical, elitist, with a God complex...

Posted by: SpiderBabe | January 15, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Looks like interesting day at da Boodle. I saw the airplane ditching in Spanish as I was checking the El Mercurio online, they have a button that turns the paper into an English version.

Sort of magic doncha think?

Posted by: Braguine | January 15, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Damn, Joel, why didn't you just get down on your knees and tell Barry to drop trou???

Posted by: mille99 | January 15, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Yikes!

Look back and you'll be home.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | January 15, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

KAP, RD! I propped the bunker door open with a roll of toilet paper so as not to flood the plain with light and give away our location.

You will know us by the thin sliver of welcoming warmth sparkling across the snow and the sounds of loud laughter from within.

Now, let's round up kbert, frosti, gwe, cassandra, all the others and then we can close the steel door.

Padouk, the Gewurtztraminer is hardly touched. Our friends seem to prefer bc's rum concoction. I have a least one bottle left.

I sure hope TGB and SonofG escape this evacuation!

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

*yello hears Yoki grinding open the bolts to let him in*

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

It's always good to visit one's campaign workers. Obama just wanted to meet and thank those who worked so tirelessly to get him elected.

Posted by: blooker681 | January 15, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Airplane Ditching in Spanish.

Capt: What da madre is going on?
CP:Los engines she don't work.
Capt: Americanos engines no digest turkeys.
CP: We need Caribe rutas, this water too cold. In Caribe no turkeys.
Capt:This airplane is French.
CP: Bon Dieu, I speak le wrong langage.
Capt: We only have a few seconds to decide in which language we're gonna crasj this avion.
Kersplash! ( in German)

Posted by: Braguine | January 15, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

All the regulars; enjoy the bunker tonight. Sheesh. Haven't seen it like this in awhile.
Shriek, Nice spotting the headlines. (Back-boodling) Made my laugh for the day. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm "impacted" by the weather from day to day, but the newscasters keep telling me I am.
Perhaps a more normal 'boodle tomorrow. Now close the blast doors... Nite all.

Posted by: ra1967 | January 15, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

My uncle would love your post, Brag. We was an english bilingual air traffic controller from Quebec in the '70s at the height of the language wars. It didn't matter that he spoke french, was born and raised in Quebec, he had an english name wihich is why he became an aircraft controller from Winipeg then points non-Quecbec.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 15, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead, name your kid after this guy. You'll regret it and you'll also regret your vote one day.

The second picture looks like he is holding out his hand to have it kissed. After that he probably pulled his pants down and they kissed him where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: cvicic1959 | January 15, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Scotty, Saw the CNN coverage of the crash. I couldn't agree more. The plane stayed in one piece, the amount of boats that were on scene; people helping people. Lots and lots of praise for ordinary heros today.

Posted by: ra1967 | January 15, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid the birds ingested by the A320 that was downed in NYC were CANADA geese.
So the war on Tourism and Commerce is a just cause. Canadians just don't pay enough of a price. I say they should be treated as any other country residents. If their canoes hit the beach in the US without proper papers work they are jailbirds. Build a 16 ft wall across the Northern border and we'll be twice as safe as if an 8ft wall were built.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 15, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

scc The whole lot. My fingers and brain are frozen.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 15, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Just another example, shriek, of how us all don't control our leaky border. Terrorist geese!

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

SD. No problem. It's 8 degrees where I'm at so it's understandable. SCC away...
BTW, not ducking into the bunker yet?
RA

Posted by: ra1967 | January 15, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

RA, I go in and out. I need to retrieve errant Boodlers, and also provoke. Good fun!

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Yoki! Shriek! *stamps foot petulantly* C'mon, stop hanging around here! Get into the bunker! (One kit back)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 15, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Relax, you liberal-MSM-type, you. We're just poking them where it hurts.

But, buddy, hold the door open in case I need to dive in after regretting my bravado, OK?

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,
Terrorist geese? I'm more inclined to side with our friend who pointed out; Airbus 300MPH, Geese, hmmm 15-30MPH? Somehow I don't think the geese were aiming, but the pilot or co-pilot sure did a great job.

Along the reporting lines, our local reporter asked a pilot on live T.V. "What did he think the pilots woul have been doing or thinking at the time?" Answer- "Well I think it would have had their full attention."
RA

Posted by: ra1967 | January 15, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

SCC: would

Posted by: ra1967 | January 15, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Drudge posts links. It's amazing how many of you hate him for doing things that only exist in your imagination.

Posted by: jimcinsc | January 15, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, ra, just highlighting yet *another* weakness in the arguments. It was in in-joke for the other Canadian boodlers. And I now regret it. Wish I could do what Barristers do, and withdraw the question.

Though I think our friend probably got it. He's very clever.

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

"AND he links to the A-blog!! Because he knows I'm pals now with Barry Obama!!!]"

A statement which clearly indicates you might as well have been outside cheering, as you accused Drudge of stating.

Mainstream media = biggest failure in American history = biggest fraud in American history = the election of Barack Hussein Obama.

Posted by: srpatterso | January 15, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Holy Cannoli, what the heck was that? I had a stressful evening, figure I'll have a glass of wine, kick back, read a little boodle, smile from time to time. And I walk into that? I need to hang on to the fact that the bozos of the world don't have it together enough to actually take over. Right?

Before my evening turned sour, I saw someone use the word pandemonium in reference to the initial reaction of the passengers. And I got lost. In thought. Big surprise. If pan is used as in slam, isn't pandemonium making fun of the demons' fortress? If pan is in the sense of all, isn't pandemonium all hell breaking loose? But what if it's pan like in a part of an iceflow...isn't that hell freezing over? Two out of three I can make work..... Considering my Catholic education, you'd think I would have taken a Latin class, got this etymology stuff down.

Okay. I've cleared my mind of the ugliness I saw earlier. Thanks for listening.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 15, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

You mean after you get around all the stops, stutters, ahems, ahs, etc's. whenever he is asked a question not on his cue card??

Dems are such liars and fools. Your ability to rationalize total idiocy is breathtaking.

Posted by: srpatterso | January 15, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm....The Obama visits a military mess hall, pardon me....gotta get used to the PC terms...Dining Facility, and the Marines, Seamen, Soldiers and Airmen having dinner there groan inwardly, continue eating. The media Messiah saunters up to a table and the hard working insurance policy of free speech(ie: fighters, not writers) have to stop eating and give due respect. Yep...big difference in greeting between the ones who protect the freedom of speech and those who use and abuse it. I'm not saying the military folk dislike or have disdain for the new CIC, I'm just pointing out that they are far more professional than the adoring Obama worshipping media. It's called being unbiased, live it, learn it.

Posted by: dgooodwinusaf | January 15, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I just want the make it perfectly clear that I am NOT thebigdr, I am just the ordinary dr and I work in yarn. So, post nice thebigdr or I will talk so much knitting that your hair will curl.

Or is that so much curling that your hair will knit?

Posted by: --dr-- | January 15, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe that you feel the need to respond to Drudge. There is no winning with that. Drudge will hate Obama and try to embarass him and the press no matter what you do or say. Why make him feel that he has that sort of power over you, you fool?

So what if anyone cheered? Who really cares? You mean that we are going to have to deal with 4 years of media apologizing to Drudge? And 4 years of media hatched jobs on Obama and Dems just so that you don't get the scorn of Drudge & Limbaugh?

My gosh you are all so weak ...

Posted by: kromerm | January 15, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

LiT, I believe it was Milton who coined the word pandemonium, in reference to the uproar in He11. Darn, I should go back a reread Paradise Lost, it's been way too many years.

The bunker is open, if you'd like to join us.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Most Muslims name their kids Muhammon, not Obama. Wait 7 centuries to see if anyone remembers "The One".

Posted by: FarmerBob2 | January 15, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of hearing about this jackass (duhbama), I want to puke!!!

Posted by: mdperkins | January 15, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I have some left over ham (grandma's recipe), regardless of whether there is any pineapple. I also have a half litre of icy vodka. I hope that the Disneyland shot glass is handy.

Posted by: -jack- | January 15, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's a bag, mdperkins. Feel free to excuse yourself to another room to be miserable.

Posted by: -jack- | January 15, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

a little tidbit to share with the boodle...

brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood Canucks!

Posted by: MissToronto | January 15, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I should have added that to the 'Galileo' blog but oh well, my brain is in 10th gear these days...

Posted by: MissToronto | January 15, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Yo, jack, dr, LiT! come back a kit, and be safe.

Jack, you make me laugh.

dr, you make me laugh.

LiT, you are some tough and brave!

One step back.

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Joel Achenbach, Sir!

Get a room, respectfully Sir!

Posted by: spiderbyte88 | January 15, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Mr. Hussein Obama is visiting his personal propaganda machine. Maybe this will be the final reason to cancel my subscription to this leftwing, anti-American rag.

Posted by: SalMonella | January 15, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow! The guy can walk on water!

Posted by: canseethetruth | January 16, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Place must have littered with chicken bones. I wonder if Hussein had his boy-toy Larry Sinclair with him.

Google the two and see what you come up with.

Chevy

Posted by: MrPotatoHead98 | January 16, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Magilla Gorilla vists the ComPost. A Chimp in a suit.

I hear KFC is flying in some more chicken bones.

Chevy

Posted by: MrPotatoHead98 | January 16, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Zapper please.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 16, 2009 2:20 AM | Report abuse

The messiah arrived and all was well with the world. The countries who hate us(so the media said) are now pro-America once again... all hail the media-made messiah!!!!!!!!!!!! Who dares come forward and kiss the platinum ring of thy chosen?

Posted by: LastExit | January 16, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

To dgooodwinusaf. Well said.

Posted by: humbleradio | January 16, 2009 3:19 AM | Report abuse

Obamamedia worshipers fawn while Obama rolls through and they're supposed to be so awed, playing their subordinate parts required by Obama's act. The fake fawn-pawn revolts those real Americans who can think and aren't propagandized by keyboard-bound activists who think they are journalists. Obama knows which side of his bread the butter is on. His arrogance is as much a product of MSM as it is really his own. MSM rendered this election a Third World election where corrupt leaders control the press to lie to skew elections. Obama's faults are hidden by a corrupt MSM which betrayed it's mission. This election is null and void, since we the people were lied to just as though we were in Nigeria.

Posted by: Miguel3 | January 16, 2009 4:55 AM | Report abuse

Right! And the cheering crowds outside weren't Washington Post employees, just the same flunkies' family members and friends who had spontaneously assembled to cheer for Obama. Or was it the Obama people who bused them in - in the true spirit of Hitler and Stalin.

Posted by: wessonsmith74 | January 16, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

Thermo nuclear device, if you don't mind.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 16, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' all...

What the...?

I did *not* wake up early to -9F weather to clean up this mess. Who let the feces tossing monkeys loose in the bunker last night?

I'll bet it was Boko. His sense of humor is just twisted enough...

Well, the local schools are all closed and Mrs. M has to work today, so I get to entertain Little Bean all day. That's not a particularly bad thing, but I do have a backlog of orders I'm trying to work through and she's a high maintenance little girl. Oh well... I'll muddle through.

Hope you all find fun ways to keep warm today. Booze and sex usually help. And longjohns (though they can interfere with the latter).

Peace out :-)

Posted by: martooni | January 16, 2009 6:09 AM | Report abuse

martooni, we're still hunkered down in the bunker. Back up one kit.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 16, 2009 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Backboodling to see what all the fluffle was. I think they just POST comments. I doubt they READ the comments. I'm sure you found the hatchway, Martooni.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse

He is the Muad'Dib.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Mudge, this cold is kicking and I'm suffering. I don't know about the walk this morning, so cold. I think the weather person said nine or some single digit. Even with the sun up, it isn't going to be warm.

Yoki, Scotty, Martooni, Slyness, and all, keep warm.*waving*

I need coffee, and I need it now. Anyone with chicken soup, send it my way. The pot I made for the Bible study went fast. Have a great day, folks, and check on the elderly.

Those of you spitting out venom might want to check that. I'm sure you can use it for warmth in this cold weather. And just think of the savings on fuel.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 16, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

I hope there was enough lipstick and K Y Jelly to go around. Don't you just love when the 'Fourth Estate' becomes a 'Fifth Column'? Pathetic.

Posted by: GoomyGommy | January 16, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Ha Ha!! Look at the clown. He shakes hands like a girl.

Posted by: Tronist | January 16, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Goomy... so what would you call Bush's self-rewrite of history that was broadcasted on all the major networks last night?

Jeez...

The President Elect (voted in by an overwhelming majority, btw) shows up in a newsroom, shakes a few hands and the Post is now the "Fifth Column"?

With your ability to make such amazing leaps (of illogic) you should be in the Olympics.

Posted by: martooni | January 16, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

How much slobbering over one's self can be done in a single article?

Posted by: dammitdonnie | January 16, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Let's see if, in the interest of facilitating communication, I can summarize the positions being presented by our special visitors.

1. That the staffers of the WaPo were excited to see the next President of the United States is damning evidence that everything they have ever written or will ever write is nothing but dirty stinkin' liberal lies.

2. That said expressions of excitement were, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to a desire for strange and potentially dangerous sex acts.

3. That.. Hmmm. No I think points 1 and 2 pretty much cover it.

Have a great day everyone.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey Achenbach, did you get a tingle up your leg like Mathews??? Seeing PEBO is kinda like gettin' a Cabbage Patch doll for XMAS huh????

Posted by: yankee11 | January 16, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Let me make, not for the first time, a point about professionalism. Professionalism means separating your personal beliefs and biases from the requirements of your job.

This means, of course, different things for different jobs. The ultimate example is the Secret Service, an amazing group of individuals with whom I occasionally deal.

Note that all those agents who protected Bush have not been fired out of concern that they won't also protect Obama. Nobody believes that their personal political biases will make them abandon the core principle of their profession - the protection of the President even at the cost of their own lives.

In other words, let's assume, for the moment, that all of those WaPo staffers really *did* Want To Have Obama's Baby. This doesn't at all imply that the reporting done be the WaPo is in some way suspect.

The WaPo is full of professionals. And the reporting, to me, clearly reflects this professionalism.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

RD... your #2 (not to be confused with *that* #2) cost me a full cup of coffee, which I now must wipe from my monitor and desk.

If you happen to be passing by a CarBucks, I'd appreciate it if you'd fax me a new one -- tall houseblend with a double-shot of espresso and two sugars, please.

And to all the newcomers who are passing through with such insightful and witty remarks to share about Obama: you lost, get over it, thank you very much for supporting an administration whose policies and incompetence completely effed up our country, now please shut up and sit on your hands while we do our best to fix what you broke.

Posted by: martooni | January 16, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Obama's mighty hand swept down and saved the ones from the plane crash. He is already using his immaculate power to save people in the US. This of course, is unlike Bush who was responsible for the Hurricane Katrina. He knew the hurricane was coming and did nothing to stop the hurricane. If Obama would have been in, he could have held back the fierce winds and a multitude of angels would have plucked those from New Orleans. All praise Obama! Soon change will be complete and we won't have to worry about filling up our cars, paying our house payments or even about our light bulbs going out. Hang on Change is coming.... it came to Cuba in 1959 and it will come here too!

Posted by: JaymanJJ | January 16, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

martooni. Should I ever be lucky enough to meet you in person, I assure you that I will be honored to shell out for a couple of Venti's.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Like OMG, OMG!!! Put on some fresh underwear, Post "reporters".

It's time to get off your knees, wipe off your mouths, and get back to work.

Obama has had three major scandals before he is even in office (Blago, Richardson, and tax criminal Geithner). Time to open your eyes. The NYT white-washed Stalin; you will not be allowed to do the same for Obama.

Posted by: bug45 | January 16, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Sigh. I fear we will still have to endure many clever, clever posters regurgitating point number 2. Or just number 2.

But for Joel to tolerate this is, again, a mark of professionalism.

Hmm. Maybe if I rummage through the back of the bunker ice-box I can find some cheese or something that doesn't smell too funky...

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey Joel,
A bit defensive aren't you? Perhaps there's a story in that. Having to stipulate that there were no reporters in the cheering group, speaks volumes. Your concern over Drudge's initial posting speaks volumes.

Perhaps if you and the rest of the adoring mainstream media spent less time throughout the election worshipping Barack Obama and more time reporting objectively, you wouldn't have to be so concerned with any conclusions that readers might draw from Drudge's initial headline.

"Methinks the lady doeth protest too much."

Posted by: will3 | January 16, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I missed all this yesterday! So much fun must have been had. I have caught a couple of the confirmation hearings and, if I am not mistaken, we are watching the Republicans do the "save us from ourselves dance."

Posted by: russianthistle | January 16, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Boodle!

Yesterday I was elated by the succesful ditching. Now, with a few basic details known, I can comment.

Only once I had both engines in a transport airplane quit simultaneosly. This was over Huston on an ancient Curtiss C-46.

The sudden silence makes you jump. This was caused by two cones of snow that blocked the air intakes. The captain brought the airplane into a stall, shook the snow off and we continued to San Antonio.

Now, about the NYC ditching.

The engines quit at 3,600 ft. I estimate the speed was about 160 knots.

Maintaining that speed (approx), the airplane could glide losing nearly 3,000 feet a minute.

The crew obviously knew the ideal spped for the glice as they stayed aloft for another two very busy minutes.

They had to approach the water, break the rate of descent to less than 500 feet per minute and touch dow at approximately 130 knots. The pilots did a superb job without much time to think about it.

The pilots deserve the highest praise.

Posted by: Braguine | January 16, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

There's going to be a lot of disillushioned people people when the Big O screws the pooch

Posted by: ezeemoney | January 16, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Osama bin Laden was a bit miffed that liberal bloggers were comparing him to Bush. HE wanted to be the guy that drug America to her knees, not the dumb guy.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

The liberal left wing propaganda arm of the DNC aka the drive by media should be opening their eyes instead of sinking to their knees for the socialists that are out to destroy our liberty and our economy, and with them, our country.
Their slobbering idol worship shows their lack of integrity, intelligence and ability for rational thought and deductive reasoning.

Posted by: ricardo4max | January 16, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Hey RD_P, 'toon...

What was that hit song by the Gin Blossoms? "Hey, Jell-o" or something??

I seem to be hearing that refrain a lot this morning.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Minister of our coming doom, preaching
On the car radio, how right
Your Hell and damnation sound to me
As I travel these small, bleak roads
Thinking of the mailman's son
The Army sent back in a sealed coffin.
His house is around the next turn.
A forlorn mutt sits in the yard
Waiting for someone to come home.

I can see the TV is on in the living room,
Canned laughter in the empty house
Like the sound of beer cans tied to a hearse. - Charles Simic

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow...now go change your underwear.

Posted by: fredrva | January 16, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Latter Day Logic.
Cold is simply lack of heat__
Absence of caloric;
Maxim one need not repeat,
Truth that's not theoric.

Night is absence of the day,
Darkness lack of light;
Does it follow as some say,
Wrong is lack of right?

I am not a sinner then,
Even if not good;
Just a fog upon the fen,
Tree devoid of wood.
--J. M. Cavaness.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

HEADLINE:

"OBAMA VISITS PROPOGANDA MACHINE"
"Aims to silence voice of accountability"

Posted by: Steven62 | January 16, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Is this blog a satire or is it real? Are these bloggers part of the Washington Post staff or just people making fun of liberal slant newspaper bias? I'm pretty much a conservative, but I would like to meet any President or President elect. I would be very impressed, but I'm not so sure I would put my giddiness in print for all to read if I worked for a paper.
PS: I did get here via Drudge.

Posted by: twilliamrobert | January 16, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

richardo4max:

But it does show their stupidity. Anybody that aligns themselves with Chris "tingle up my leg" Matthews, Olbergagmewithaspoon, MaddowtheonlyreasonIgotthisgigisbecauseIamgay, should be embarrassed but that's an elitist for you.

Look how they drone on about Drudge. They cannot stand it that his site is one of the few where you get the truth about what's going on out there.

Libs: You hate the truth, don't you?

By the way, what do you see in Dumbo?

Posted by: cvicic1959 | January 16, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Methane plumes on Mars.... over at Science, published online. Tantalizing. Earth has plenty of underground bacteria, so maybe Mars does, too?

Possibly as big a story as Joel has covered for some time.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 16, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Hi, Dave. Find the secret hatchway.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

History of the Night

Throughout the course of th generations
men constructed the night.
At first she was blindness;
thorns raking bare feet,
fear of wolves.
We shall never know who forged the word
for the interval of shadow
dividing the two twilights;
we shall never know in what age it came to mean
the starry hours.
Others created the myth.
They made her the mother of the unruffled Fates
that spin our destiny,
thev sacrificed black ewes to her, and the cock
who crows his own death.
The Chaldeans assigned to her twelve houses;
to Zeno, infinite words.
She took shape from Latin hexameters
and the terror of Pascal.
Luis de Leon saw in her the homeland
of his stricken soul.
Now we feel her to be inexhuastible
like an ancient wine
and no one can gaze on her without vertigo
and time has charged her with eternity.

And to think that she wouldn't exist
except for those fragile instruments, the eyes.

Jorge Luis Borges

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?
They are like unto children sitting in the marketplace, and calling one to another,and saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned to you, and ye have not wept.
For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
But wisdom is justified of all her children.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I had to give up on a promising analogy I was going to post. The ditched plane is the Republican party and the passengers are the voters smart enough leave the sinking ship. The problem is that the pilot and crew of the plane were brave, knowledgable, honest, and competent.
You can see why I had to give it up as a bad job.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

twilliamrobert,

We kinda figured you were from the Drudge Report. Joel Achenbach is a staff writer for the Washington Post and used to write a humor column for the Sunday magazine. In addition to his near-Pulitzer level reporting skills, he has a dry ironic wit that goes nearly undetected by wingnuts. Think Dave Barry without the booger jokes.

The Achenblog is an umbrage-free zone where politics can be discussed with humor and mutual respect without resorting to racist catcalls. Or at least it used to be.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Ignorance

Strange to know nothing, never to be sure
Of what is true or right or real,
But forced to qualify or so I feel,
Or Well, it does seem so:
Someone must know.

Strange to be ignorant of the way things work:
Their skill at finding what they need,
Their sense of shape, and punctual spread of seed,
And willingness to change;
Yes, it is strange,

Even to wear such knowledge - for our flesh
Surrounds us with its own decisions -
And yet spend all our life on imprecisions,
That when we start to die
Have no idea why.

I thought
Be large enough for Me --

-- Emily Dickinson

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Hate

I had a bitter enemy,
His heart to hate he gave,
And when I died he swore that he
Would dance upon my grave;
That he would leap and laugh because
A livid corpse was I,
And that's the reason why I was
In no great haste to die.

And then - such is the quirk of fate,
One day with joy I read,
Despite his vitalizing hate
My enemy was dead.
Maybe the poison in his heart
Had helped to haste his doom:
He was not spared till I depart
To spit upon my tomb.

The other day I chanced to go
To where he lies alone.
'Tis easy to forgive a foe
When he is dead and gone. . . .
Poor devil! Now his day is done,
(Though bright it was and brave,)
Yet I am happy there is none
To dance upon my grave.

-- Robert Service

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"The function of socialism is to raise suffering to a higher level."
-- Norman Mailer
"In general, the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other."
-- Voltaire
# "You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money."
-- P. J. O'Rourke

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it."
-- Thomas Sowell
"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, 'the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, and the fruits acquired by it.'"
-- Thomas Jefferson
# "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis

# "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
-- Ronald Reagan

I thought, perhaps, that you all would rather read the intelligent thoughts of some very talented, accomplished, and insightful people rather than sophomoric poetry.

Posted by: ricardo4max | January 16, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

your little spat with drudge is cute - like a 4th grader crying about his lunch money being stolen. whaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted by: leeanthonyva | January 16, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

trussianthistle, here.

I hear that you can bundle up umbrage and compress it with the pressure of about 5 foot tons and it will burn like coal.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 16, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"If it is assumed that the Secret Service will suppress their personal biases - even to the point of death - why is it then so difficult to understand that journalists are capable of keeping their own personal biases out of their reporting as well." --RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 8:12 AM

No, the outside world believes that WaPo journalists will give their lives to protect LIBERALISM in all its forms. Truly professional at that, admittedly, the way you can feed the beast night and day and constantly look at a news item, and evaluate it according to your view of how the world SHOULD be. Not whether it's true, but whether it advances your agenda.

And I'm truly astonished at how 24/7 dedicated you are to that task. I'm waiting for a comparison of the tax situation of the Commerce Secretary nomineee to, say, the tax situation of Joe the Plumber, who asked an uncomfortable question. Who should be held to a higher standard? Joe, right?

Before you say you are "capable" of removing your personal biases, why not try it for a week? Then get back to us.

Posted by: BigDan2009 | January 16, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I saved a couple of good ones for the last.

I recommend that you so-called Democrats and Obama worshippers get yourself a copy of our Constitution and also a copy of some type of Cliff notes to help you understand it. Your stubborn, uninformed, head-in-sand approach heretofore is just not working.

# "The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive."
-- Thomas Sowell

# "You cannot bring prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further brotherhood of men by inciting class hatred.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."
-- Rev. William J. H. Boetcker*

Posted by: ricardo4max | January 16, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Come on?? It would hardly be surprising for the Post supporters, uh, I mean reporters, to cheer Obama...after all they've been doing it for 18 months now!

Posted by: Jaymand | January 16, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The only uncomfortable thing about Joe's questions were that they were so ignorant. If one cared to "look at the tape," you would have observed Joe getting a very nice lecture on the topic from Mr. Obama.

When he was allowed to respond, there was dead air.

With that, he, in some minds, became a hero. I think his latest review from Rick Sanchez would probably be a good starting point to understand the man who is Joe.

Funny Joe would come up with so many trying to rag on reporters at the Post.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 16, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Bigdan2009 - at least you are reading and responding to other comments instead of just spewing and leaving as many do.

The scenario you present, of WaPo journalists holding an ideology above the truth, is an accusation that you present without proof. You are just repeating what "everyone knows," by which is meant those who accept this premise and congregate together. But I do not believe it is supported by observation.

The WaPo has, ironically, also been accused of just being a mouthpiece for Bush at times - especially during the run-up to Iraq. It is hard to reconcile these accusations with your notion that the WaPo reporting is nothing but liberal propaganda.

Of course, several of the columnists who are carried by the WaPo are clearly conservative - again in contradiction to your thesis.

You are asserting that the WaPo is some sort of monolithic entity that works as a hive mind. While in truth, it is composed of individuals.

If you have a beef with individual articles by individual journalists, by all means confront them.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

It's only appropriate you visit and thank those who campaigned so vigorously for you. Way to go Washington Post. You are hereby nominated to the Media Bias Hall of Shame.

Posted by: billbrady1 | January 16, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

all ignorance toboggans into know

all ignorance toboggans into know
and trudges up to ignorance again:
but winter's not forever,even snow
melts; and if spring should spoil the game, what then?

all history's a winter sport or three:
but were it five, i'd still insist that all
history is too small for even me;
for me and you, exceedingly too small.

swoop (shrill collective myth) into thy grave
merely to toil the scale to shrillerness
per every madge and mabel dick and dave
- tomorrow is our permanent address

and there they'll scarcely find us (if they do,
we'll move away still further: into now

-- e. e. cummings

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like the newsroom had a "Chris Matthews" moment! Lots of tingly legs and reporters standing at attention. Not often the head of the party visits Pravda. Your article reeks of the point you claim Drudge erroneously reported. You could hardly contain yourself and you congratulate the Posts professionalism for not applauding. Do all of you live so deeply in denial that they would buy your story for one minute? Oh, well, just go about the business of putting yourselves out of business. You just can't make it selling your papers to other reporters on the comp. list.

Posted by: tigerrue | January 16, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"Does the episode, which some staffers muttered was a tad embarrassing, mean the paper's staff has a soft spot for Obama? Not really."

Oh, please. The Post smooches this guy's backside 24/7.

Posted by: TheMSMControlsUs | January 16, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine how venomous some of these folks would be if this Presidential Election ended like the 2000 Election, hinging on balloting problems and recounts in a state where one candidate's brother was the Governor, legal actions and the Supreme Court having to rule on the recount results, with the eventual winner of the election having fewer total votes.

Oh, and then followed by 8 years of what most citizens consider the most calamitous Administration in our nation's history.

So please do feel free to display umbrage at a semi-silly blog item and personal signs of encouragement and hope by the people working at the Post for a President Elect who we've (as voting Citizens) charged with leading this country at this challenging point in history.

I remember being quite grumpy 8 years ago, feeling that the President Elect at that point was unfit to lead this country, and hey, *I* think I was right -- so maybe you grumpy folks might be right, too.

But I doubt it.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 16, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have a copy of the WAPO's memo reminding its staff not to cheer or make any other outwards displays of affection for our Lord and Savior?

Posted by: kmne68 | January 16, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

a lightning bug got
in here the other night a
regular hick from
the real country he was
awful proud of himself you
city insects may think
you are some punkins
but i don t see any
of you flashing in the dark
like we do in
the country all right go
to it says i mehitabel the
cat and that green
spider who lives in your locker
and two or three cockroach
friends of mine and a
friendly rat all gathered
around him and urged him on
and he lightened and
lightened and lightened you
don t see anything like this
in town often he says go to it
we told him it s a
real treat to us and
we nicknamed him broadway
which pleased him
this is the life
he said all i
need is a harbor
under me to be a
statue of liberty and
he got so vain of
himself i had to take
him down a peg you ve
made lightning for two hours
little bug i told him
but i don t hear
any claps of thunder
yet there are some men
like that when he wore
himself out mehitabel
the cat ate him

archy

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Matt Drudge approves of his followers making comments about oral sex, chickens, and monkeys. Or their pastors. Or their mothers. Or their children. I'm guessing not.

Please, folks. If we can't be civil, why are we even bothering to fight for this nation? Does anyone thing that our soldiers around the world are fighting for our freedom to hurl obscenities?

Posted by: KathrynAPage | January 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Well done, RD, bc, y'all. Very well done, Jumper.

Crow Goes Hunting

Crow
Decided to try words.

He imagined some words for the job, a lovely pack-
Clear-eyed, resounding, well-trained,
With strong teeth.
You could not find a better bred lot.

He pointed out the hare and away went the words
Resounding.
Crow was Crow without fail, but what is a hare?

It converted itself to a concrete bunker.
The words circled protesting, resounding.

Crow turned the words into bombs-they blasted the bunker.
The bits of bunker flew up-a flock of starlings.

Crow turned the words into shotguns, they shot down the starlings.
The falling starlings turned to a cloudburst.

Crow turned the words into a reservoir, collecting the water.
The water turned into an earthquake, swallowing the reservoir.

The earthquake turned into a hare and leaped for the hill
Having eaten Crow's words.

Crow gazed after the bounding hare
Speechless with admiration.

-- Ted Hughes

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain why gasoline prices have increased over the last 2 weeks yet the oil price has decreased?

Posted by: ricardo4max | January 16, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

bc, my friend,

your premise is being played out in Minn. right now with some national implications. The comments at the Trib are usually worthy of a good chuckle.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: russianthistle | January 16, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

First of all, thank God no lives were lost in that water landing...hats off to the pilot, a real life hero! It truly was a mircle on the Hudson!

Secondly, I am glad that the president elect was recieved so warmly in the news room. Like many Americans I wish him the best, because whether we voted for him or not he will be our president.

The only question I have is if the current president, who is equally famous and for the moment the most powerful man in the world, had walked in that room would he have been received so graciously?

I doubt it. My guess is that he would would more likely get a shoe thrown to the head, metaphorically speaking of course, than well wishes and a warmly extended hand.

Posted by: tunesinallen | January 16, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I doubt the response would be that much different tunesinallen. Meeting a Cchief Executive (or one about to be) brings out one's best behavior regardless of politics.

I have seen this first hand.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

tunesinallen?

While your sentiments are appreciated, why do you make your supposition? What do you base that on?

Love to talk with you, but, as we say on other sites, make an argument.

You are talking about a President, in Bush, who didn't really sit down with members of the press who weren't "in the sack" with him. Heck, he didn't send his team to the hill when there was controversy.

Why pick on the Post? You "seem" to be ascribing the traits of Bush on Obama, who may very well behave poorly in the future, but that remains to be seen.

I hope that you are aware that Obama, just this week, spent a good deal of time with a large group of the better conservative editorial writers.

Key to this administration seems to be open communications. It seems that they are trying to get off on the right foot. Access and clarity is a good way to launch the new administration.

Again, it remains to be seen where this whole "thing" will go. With so many problems and challenges, it will be easy to "cherry pick" issues of which to attack the Obama team.

Getting some solid reason and judgment out of the press will be important. By the way, it will be important for both the Democrats and Republicans to speak with all of the press.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 16, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

To: yellojkt

Thanks for the explanation. Its hard to read something and not understand the context...Don't be hard on all Drudge people, there is very little opinion made by Drudge, It is 99% redirection to articles, most of us just read the articles and become informed of common or opposing views.

Posted by: twilliamrobert | January 16, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

twilliamrobert,
I'd like to welcome you to the secret club ;-).
Drop by anytime. For now we are hiding in the 'past'.
Cheers!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | January 16, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Boko,
your plane analogy works if W and The Dark Ones are the turkeys inhaled by the Engines of the State.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 16, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon all
Well it has warmed up to a balmy 7,and i need to do the porches, car etc.....

I see a few of the regulars here,but you irregulars are just plain crazy,yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion,but geesh give the man at least 6 months before you start throwing all this dirt around.

My opinion.
I think the Ravens win on the road for the third time in 3 weeks 16-10
The eagles win 28-17.
And the only prediction I have on the super bowl is McNabb is not benched at halftime.

ok up to 8 time to head outside....Yikes!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 16, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Many people suspect that The Sunday Leader has a political agenda: it does not. If we appear more critical of the government than of the opposition it is only because we believe that - pray excuse cricketing argot - there is no point in bowling to the fielding side." Lasantha Wickramatunga, Sri Lanka journalist/editor in his editorial "And Then They Came For Me." (Published posthumously after his assassination on Jan. 08 of this year)

Cheer, get autographs, take pictures-even fawn and simper if you like WaPo journalists. You are among the best practitioners of an heroic profession.

More about Wickramatunga from the Post's Emily Wax here:

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

twilliamrobert,

Read some older posts and the comments for a better feel for our community. We've all burrowed underground for the duration of this Drudge-induced onslaught.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Morning everyone!

Well, afternoon where you are.

Posted by: Sara54 | January 16, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

What with Obama at the Post, the plane in the water, and methane seeping from Mars, an intriguing science story seems to be going unnoticed. Science magazine's current issue has a news story on the big central China earthquake. It may have been triggered by the weight of water in recently-built reservoirs.

The weight of water in reservoirs had already been shown to cause earthquakes. This could be bad news for China's vast dam-building program.

The Post has Glenn Kessler's story on the US and Israel signing an agreement to help halt arms smuggling to Gaza. I wonder what the US could do, other than track ships coming from Iran. I'm not sure much is being done about arms smuggling from the US to Mexico, which is apparently now a big business.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 16, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Obama:

Abortion doughnuts all around!

No, really, I'm mostly pro-life because life is good usually. But these people are crazy. Krispy Kreme is celebrating democracy and a historical occasion. They are not selling abortion doughnuts.

Posted by: Sara54 | January 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Sara-and they don't even have a stupid computer filter to blame.

Remember this?
"Christian Site's Ban on 'G' Word Sends Homosexual to Olympics"

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

frost,

I hadn't seen that! Ha!

Posted by: Sara54 | January 16, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

(* cautiously dips big toe in the water *)

Safe to swim?

Posted by: martooni | January 16, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Take back the Boodle!

twilliamrobert, welcome.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I went to lunch and came back. Still nothing...did I kill it?

Posted by: Sara54 | January 16, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Slip back one boodle Sara. bunkers still operating.

Posted by: --dr-- | January 16, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

It's been more than two hours since I posted something in praise of journalists and still no whack job response. Amazing.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

greenwithenvy >>"give (Obama) at least 6 months before you start throwing all this dirt around."

Is that the length of the honeymoon you gave to George W. Bush in 2000?

Posted by: EagleInNYC | January 16, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

You spoke too soon, fb.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

just trying to draw 'em out yello so someone ele can finish 'em off with a pome.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

It's a pome ya want, Frosti? As always, I'm yer guy.

Roses are red,
Rhododendrons are greenie,
When it comes to lame comments, EagleinNYC,
You're just a big weenie.

*blows thin trail of smoke away from gun barrel, replaces gun in holster. Rides off into sunset strummin' gitar.*

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | January 16, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Joel, I'm very impressed that you got to meet Obama without even leaving your cubicle. I think it's great that he stopped by to visit at the Washington Post. Seems like a win-win situation to me. (Nonzero sum!)

The discussion has been lively here, if a bit more prickly than we are accustomed to. I hope we can appreciate that others have a different point of view. I enjoyed thinking about the quotes posted by ricardo4max, for example.

Off-topic:

LearnOutLoud.com has led me to a great new site for audio/video content: FORA.TV. I was there today listening to Garrison Keillor on the subject of "Life, Cheerfulness, and Aging."

Last night I enjoyed a video of Dave Barry's at Politics & Prose:

And this is a great, short video about irrational behavior, with examples of how we make decisions for reasons we don't realize:

Posted by: kbertocci | January 16, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow Obama and entourage will travel from Philadelphia by train to Washington D.C., a trip dubbed the Obama Express and a journey meant to kick off four days of inauguration festivities. Obama hopes to recreate Lincoln's trip. Let me explain why this is a bad idea.

So few journalists--and authors, I might add--have touched on this story of Lincoln's inaugural train trip. Washington Post's Anne Kornblut mentioned it in passing in a blog post on Dec. 15. I've seen mentions in other newspapers via Google News. Reporter Jeff Gammage of the Philadelphia Inquirer did Lincoln's story the most service in his reporting on Jan. 11, yet he leaves out rather important elements:

Doris Kearns Goodwin mentions it in her bestselling "Team of Rivals," but David Herbert Donald in his 1995 Pulitzer-prize-winning biography "Lincoln," fleshes out the story far more than Goodwin. The best telling I've found of Lincoln's journey to date is a story of a Scotsman, Alan Pinkerston, told by a Scotsman historian Dr. James Alexander McKay, who has also written books about Robert Burns, William Wallace, and poet Robert Service (hiw interesting that Service's poetry turned up in the Boodle today). McKay's 1996 book about Pinkerton was published in both Edinburgh and London, price 20 pounds.

Let me set it up in a Q&A format:

Q: When did Lincoln travel to Washington, D.C. for the his inauguration?

A: Lincoln departed Springfield on Feb. 11, 1861, and arrived in Washington D.C. in the early morning hours of Feb. 23, 1861. The legislatures of Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania,, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts had extended invitations to Lincoln to visit them while en route. Many towns also issued invitations and railroad companies offered to put executive cars at Lincoln's disposal. Lincoln received no official invitations from Maryland.

Lincoln would travel 1,904 miles using 18 different railroads. His route would take him through Indianapolis, Columbus, Cinncinati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Alabany, New York, Trenton, Philadelphia and Harrisburg. Lincoln's inauguration, however, would not take place until March 4.

Posted by: laloomis | January 16, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Q: Did any important events transpire around the time of Lincoln's long trip?

On Feb. 8, representatives of six states whose legislatures had formally renounced membership in the United States produced a draft constitution for the provisional government of the Confederate States of America. On Feb. 9, this provisional Congress elected Mississipian Jefferson Davis as president. On Feb. 18, while Lincoln was traveling, Davis had already been inaugurated and Lincoln's old friend Alexander H. Stevens became provisional vice president of the Confederate.

San Antonio, too, would play a role. Also on Feb. 18, General David E. Twiggs, facing hundreds of armed Texans, surrendered all the United States military outposts in Texas to the secessionists. Very shortly thereafter, Twiggs would assume military leadership in the Confederacy, only to die a year later.

Posted by: laloomis | January 16, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh carp, here we go...

EagleinNYC... I'd say Bush had one hell of a honeymoon. He even had a second honeymoon in the months after 9/11. Unfortunately, he and Cheney and Rumsfield and Rice were the only ones to enjoy it.

Just look at the bride...

Our country is in fiscal disaster, we're at war on two fronts (one justified, one of choice), we're still under threat of attack from the very jacka$$es the jacka$$ in chief declared victory over a few years ago... shall I go on about why the country decided to tell George and his wedding party to stick the ring up their collective arses?

Seriously. Unless you've been hiding in an undisclosed location with your head stuffed way up Cheney's arse or are smoking some very powerful stuff, I can't understand how you could possibly still be supportive of Bush, his policies or the failures he hired to execute them. Or how you could have the nerve to criticize the guy who beat the carp out of your party in a landslide victory and is so far -- according to many on *both* sides of the aisle -- doing a fine job of building a new administration with a new attitude and a new focus on what really matters.

I mean really... the guy hasn't even taken office yet and rabid sh!t-flingers like you are already taking pot shots.

I think you'll find, though, that Obama is YOUR president, too, and will work to ensure that YOU and YOUR FAMILY and YOUR EMPLOYER will not just survive, but have the chance to thrive in the challenging years we have ahead -- even though you don't like him and didn't vote for him.

Posted by: martooni | January 16, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Q: Were any special steps taken to ensure Lincoln's safety?

A: Ward Hill Lamon, who had served as an aide to the Illinois governor, acted as the president-elect's burly bodyguard only during the last leg of Lincoln's trip (some claim Lamon served as Lincoln's bodyguard for the entire trip). Lincoln was also surrounded by a handful of military men.

Detective Allan Pinkerton and several of his best detectives left in late January for Baltimore and Perryville, Maryland to frequent the local taverns in hopes of infiltrating the Copperheads and learning more about the fanatic Italian barber Cypriano Ferrandini, fairly recently arrived from Europe, whose militia activities and blunt statements drew a great deal of suspicion.

Samuel Morse Felton, president of the Philadelphia, Wilminton, and Baltimore Railroad, had met with Pinkerton in New York City on Jan. 19 and conveyed to him the numerous threats from secessionists in and around Baltimore. He was the first to reveal a plot against Lincoln's life. Also on the day of this meeting, the Maryland legislature was meeting and hotly denating whether to follow South Carolina's lead and secede.

Felton helped with security along the railroad: two hundred of his most trusted railroad workers to guard the line between Susquehanna and Baltimore. By night these men drilled for their operations, by day, they whitewashed bridges along the route, some as many as eight times, the whitewash saturated with salt and alum to make the bridges as fireproof as possible. Felton also helped to infiltrate three Maryland militias to find out who was friend and who was foe.

Q: Why was Lincoln in Philadelphia on Feb. 22?

A: Washington's birthday was deliberately chosen for the historic stop (You know, before the Presidents Washington's and Lincoln' birthdays were combined and observed on Feb. 16.) Lincoln wanted to raise the flag over Independence Hall, a significant act for Lincoln, since Kansas, engaged in civil war since 1854, was about to be admitted to the Union as a Free State. Lincoln would ceremoniously hoist the flag at 6 a.m. in the morning with an additional star added for Kansas. Pennsylvania was a loyal state and ducking out of the flag-raising ceremony as well as meeting Gov. Andrew Curtin at the state capital,followed by a reception a the State House, both events taking place later that afternoon in Harrisburg would have been politically disasterous.

To be continued...

Posted by: laloomis | January 16, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Please do not clear the smoke from a discharged firearm by blowing down the barrel. Not only does the condensation from your breath combine with powder residue to score the barrel you might blow your nose off.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 16, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

The name Pinkerton got me thinking that when the mess in Iraq winds down all the nice Blackwater boys will be coming home. Lucky you.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 16, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow! This like old times (a couple of years ago) when Hewitt or Pajamas would like to the Achenblog. We'd get scores of semi-coherent right-wing commenters spraying vitriol like a broken bass-o-matic.

Fellow Boodlers, you handled today's onslaught well. You showed some real class. I'm proud of you.

So, I'm revealing my "real" WaPo nom de plume. I've signed on the Boodle as "CowTown" since 2004; but I signed in to WaPo (when they finally demanded that I do) as "jp1954." I can't explain the change, I just did. So, CowTown = jp1954.

As if you cared. Carry on.

Posted by: jp1954 | January 16, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"when Hewitt or Pajamas would like to the Achenblog"

Ahem, that's "link to the Achenblog." Link. That's the ticket.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Posted by: jp1954 | January 16, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Dear Jean-Pierre, let me guess your age: 55.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 16, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

or 54, whatever.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 16, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

We had, um, technical difficulties today. That's why there was no new blog item. I wasn't trying to prolong this kit, even though it's nice to have so many new visitors.

I will post a new kit shortly.

Posted by: joelache | January 16, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

And there were some many clever variations on CowTown. I miss those halcyon days of random aliases.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing gets past you, Shrieking! "Jean-Pierre," I like that!

CowTown

Posted by: jp1954 | January 16, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

New kit, folks.

Posted by: joelache | January 16, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

To: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2009 10:16 AM

Quote: January 16, 2009 10:16 AM

"But the most fundamental objection is that you are making a free-floating accusation without any specifics to back it up. "

Sorry for the delay. I forgot how I found this column and I'm on a different computer.

Let's go to the source for quantification, you can decide for yourself the reasons for it.

Here's the Washington Post's Ombudsman on the problem you face:

"The Post provided a lot of good campaign coverage, but readers have been consistently critical of the lack of probing issues coverage and what they saw as a tilt toward Democrat Barack Obama. My surveys, which ended on Election Day, show that they are right on both counts."
...
"But Obama deserved tougher scrutiny than he got, especially of his undergraduate years, his start in Chicago and his relationship with Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who was convicted this year of influence-peddling in Chicago. The Post did nothing on Obama's acknowledged drug use as a teenager."

Or, here's Kurtz:

"Every inauguration is a major media moment, with nonstop television coverage, newspapers churning out special editions and correspondents parachuting in from around the globe. But it is hard to envision this level of intensity if John McCain were taking the oath of office. All the hoopla has left the impression that many in journalism are thrilled by Obama's swearing-in."
...

"At what point does the recognition of Obama's gifts and this juncture in history spill over into partisan adulation? Some journalists justify the ebullient tone by arguing that Obama is simply more fascinating than most politicians, as well as a trailblazer who is following 43 white presidents. "...

Posted by: BigDan2009 | January 20, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse