Reports From History

Joel just called in from the National Mall. He's finally made it to History, after riding a packed Metro train and then being ushered on foot through the seemingly endless 395 tunnel, which apparently ends on the other side of the Mall and not, as Joel had expected, at the River Styx.

Achenblog crowd estimate:1 billion people. And they're all excited. "Nowhere in history has anything like this been so big and so huge," said Demetrice Jackson, a 62-year-old African American from Frederick, who sat next to him on the Red Line and who hadn't believed she'd see a black president in her lifetime.

If you plan to join the crowd, Joel offers some survival tips for a day that will demand "a certain amount of patience and endurance":

• "If the Metro car is too crowded, wait for the next one."
  • "There are going to be a lot of people who walk a long way and discover they can't get on the Mall. It's almost impossible to get around. Ask directions from a person in a red cap. They're very helpful."
  • "You've got to take care of your dogs. Otherwise, your dogs will start barking back at you. Warm socks, feet warmers are good."

Joel will check in again later. For now, he's got his eye out for Vanessa Williams and is trying to figure out where the line starts to get into the "silver-ticket area." He's thinking Alexandria. Or maybe Richmond.

By Marisa Katz  |  January 20, 2009; 9:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Art Show
Next: Gazillions of People, Literally

Comments

I'm scanning the crowd on TV, but I don't see him...he must not be close yet.

Posted by: Kim1 | January 20, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Joel get some kind of, you know, hazardous duty pay for this? Or at least one of these:

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 20, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

So I call my friend with a ticket to the swearing-in this morning at 7. Woke her up. Told her that if she weren't on the Mall by this time, she wouldn't likely make it. She told me that she would work at home and drive down to the city late morning. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, sure. Well, she said, if she couldn't get in to watch the swearing in, she'd just go over to PA Avenue and watch the parade. Now, how she's going to do that is simply beyond me, but, well, that's my friend and this is normal for her. Great source of amusement to me.

Enjoy today, all. I'm off to the other end of my apt to watch the television. Finally this day has come. Woo-hoo!!!

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | January 20, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

FTBlogger!

That was great. What part of 2 million people didn't she understand?

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Just caught up with the last boodle. Boko's song is perfect! Wake up, rub those eyes and celebrate. In Andrew Sullivan's blog last week, he mentioned that he was in the group of "liberal" columnists that met with Obama. All he said about it was that he felt this vast sense of relief about Obama being at the helm. That is mainly what I feel, relief that a man who is up to the job is now going to be president. The good Lord knows there's no guarantee of success, with this mess that he's inherited, but at least he's up to the job.

Loved Jumper's pic of Obama more than all the others...I'm with RD, come on! Some of that is just over the top!

Posted by: Kim1 | January 20, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I had to get rid of Fox and landed on ABC. Much better, thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: slyness | January 20, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Neighbor is a senior marketing/project mgr with a catering company that will not be named that has purple trucks and their food and equipment were in place along the route for several days. People going down at 3 am.

FtBlogger, make sure your friend allows an extra 15 minutes to get downtown!!!

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Anybody catch Michelle's yellow outfit? I got a glance as they went into St. John's. Looked great to me!

Posted by: slyness | January 20, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Complicated but not biking. Have CnnFacebook option on,which means I can report a few tidbits from my digital buddies who are there:

1) Family of five children spent the night in an unnamed federal building. The are on the mall within five people from the reflecting pool. Dad is rationing hand warmers.

2) Bike companion family is there and very happy.

Drove elderly neighbors to the Metro. They plan to simply Metro down and then back, to participate.

Slyness...looking for info on the church ensemble....looks to be light weight brocade in shades of gold and yellow.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Did you just say Brocade?

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"Silver ticket area" is that for people over 50? What other areas do they have?Bronze,Gold,Platinum,Titanium,Dilitheum,Corbonite,Daranium.

I am sure i can only afford the paper area.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 20, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

CqP, I just wanted to let you know that Barrack offered me my choice of Web specialist or Secretary of State.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

CqP-could that be a heavy knit? It drapes so nicely but does look like brocade. Has she often worn an ensemble with matching coat or is this part of her First Lady signature look?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 20, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Slyness: MO wearing American designer Isabel Toledo, who is Cuban. She had jadite green high pumps on, which is interesting.

Perhaps a pearl detail near the collar; wearing a finely handed, small dimensions scarf....looks to be cashmere.

PBO (Pres.B.Obama) wearing a red tie.

St Johns is the tiny, pale yellow Episcopal church near Blair House/White House....this yellow, favored by Thomas Jefferson, is known as architectural yellow. You can see it in the ceiling of the Library of Congress and most recently in the metal girder infrastructure of Reagan National Airport.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The front page of the Post is now reporting that the closest entrance to the stage that can now be entered is in Morgantown West Virginia.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Frosti -- brilliant! The knit would explain the wonderful drape even with the brocade detail. Brocade can really stiffen a fabric.

RT -- did say brocade, which rhymes with motorcade and parade and Miami, Dade...so SoCEngelman can begin his pome, only to compete with Wilbrodog/etc.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I didn't care much for Jill Biden's bare knees under red coat and over boots look. Soccer mom taking the dotts to see a matinee of the Nutcracker look to my mind.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 20, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Jill Biden wearing boots, in a bit of a nod to Conde Rice who wears boots as she were born to it.

Mrs. Bush wearing her trademark modest and understates suit...looks to be a soft winter blue, with grey undertones....double breasted with self-fabric buttons. Nice look, she always has.

Frostik, will be thinking about the coat. Tis Renaissance style: note the fitted detail at the back approaching the waiste. Sublte detail that keeps the coat from swinging out in a strong A-line.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

CqP-great description of LB's suit. The version I could afford would come off as a syrupy pastel. She really has an eye for color.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 20, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Me too, frosti...not a fan of Jill Biden's outfit. I know she'd be crushed.

No weepy thing happening yet...I know it's coming.

I have to go get the kids up. It's a snow day in Hampton Roads. Not a flake of snow to be seen yet! The weathermen were all breathless last night - 3-5 inches on the way. As frosti knows, 3-5 here is a ginormous deal. But it looks like they're dialing back from that now. I'll be so disappointed if it doesn't happen. Even 2 inches would make my teenagers act like giddy children, I'm sure.

Posted by: Kim1 | January 20, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Frosti, Jill looks a bit too everywoman-mistake here. Very soccer-mom goes to Nutcracker! You are funny and right.

Yesterday, Michelle's clothing previewed the yellow: she wore yellow-toned camel coat and matching pencil skirt. Black sweater with some metallic or jewel detailing.

Yellow is very good on most people with medium to dark skin. Lovely contrast with dark hair.....yellow also pops on screen. Yellows with green tones are risky, but others are fine.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm the first to note the lovely parting gift the Obamas brought for the Bushes!!! :-)

(Sorry, just couldn't hep mahsef!!)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Michelle brought Laura a red ribboned gift...most unusual...most gracious.

CP, am so glad you are reporting. Earlier heard the designer was Isabelle something.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 20, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I hope both Michelle and Jill have appropriate warming undergarments. Althought I would imagine that the area they will be has heaters.

Michelle bare-legged. That must be the Chicago in her background. She did the same Sunday in the cold. I'd die of the cold.

Posted by: slyness | January 20, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

A pen and a journal for her memoirs! What a thoughtful gift.

Posted by: slyness | January 20, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the MSNBC tip yesterday, mudge. I didn't catch it, but Gawker picked it up and I transcribed some of it.

Howard Kurtz noted with some bemused puzzlement how giddy the press is over Obama as he asks the rhetorical question "What Are The Media Celebrating?"

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | January 20, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Jill looked great in black garb with purpley-eggplant scarf on the train sequence....perhaps the red coat is sentimental in some way.

Speaking of scarf-stuff: flying off the shelves, for chill-chasing but also the scarf may make a comeback, in terms of tie options. New scarves grew out of the pashmina tradition: very fine hand and easier to drape and situation around the neck and shoulders. Old scarves made some of us feel top heavy and as if our Montana forbears knit the thing out of morally-sufficient-unto-the=day cloth.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

CqP, yellows and oranges make me look like I don't feel well. I don't think it's my skin color per se, but the undertones.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 20, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Michelle's coat/dress ensemble, I am just about overthemoon (doesn't take much for me, folks). She could not have worn anything that I would like nearly so well. Loved her camel & black blouse/skirt/coat of Sunday.

Jill Biden looks good, love the red coat.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 20, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Sorting through my books for the Clothingsaurus

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Love the running fashion commentary.

LiT, you missed some fantastic boots on Beyonce Sunday. My wife noted that it was too cold for Shakira to bare her belly although her leather pants were plenty tight.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 20, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Undertones, LiT,you got it. i think that most of us can wear a yellow but the undertones, which are hard to discern. You could consider a clear, clear, lemon yellow. The color of sunlight....no green assessories! try grey, white, or shades of blue that have NO green tones.

Vintage: love the red coat for Jill....but not with the boots and knees....looks also a bit the majorette.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

This is the first time I've watched inauguration coverage on TV.

Question to those of you who've done it before: is it always like this? So excited, so reverential?

I know it's a big first and all ... but I wonder if the media ever went this crazy before.

Trust me, I've had more than one teary-eyed moment ... partly for the historic nature of the event, but also THANK GOD A DEMOCRAT WON.

Did anyone watch on Reagan's day? (That's the comparison everyone seems to be making.) Was it this ... intense?

Posted by: KathrynAPage | January 20, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

YELLOWJacket: means a great deal to me that a mano among manos LIKES the fashioning chat.

RT -- art books contain this knowledge, too; architecture books too.

You may speak about engines, if you like. We will feign real interest.

Howard Dean with Caroline blue tie.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Sandra Day O'Connner in black slacks and winter white turtle neck.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Linda Wortheimer (sp?) noted on NPR that the Reagan inauguration was similar in tone if not scope. She says it's the biggest deal she's seen in 30+ years. I'd have to agree.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 20, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Reagan Inaugural, KP, but I don't think it was this intense. We had dinner with some of our Republican friends the other night who spent a little time grousing about the media hoopla surrounding Obama's inauguration. I couldn't help myself and said that yes, it seems a little over the top at times, but that is what happens when 80% of billions of people are happy to see the backside of a disastrous president.

We moved on then, I think we talked about Slum Dog Millionaire.

Posted by: Kim1 | January 20, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

More detail on MO's outfit. Between the dress (looks to be a one-piece sheath) she has a pale campaign color featherwieght sweater: think twin set of the 50s, but without the shell. I am thinking now that the dress is sleeveless.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I think that's my problem...my undertone is green. Maybe if I lay off the olives...

Posted by: LostInThought | January 20, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Just saw MD-Dem and rep Chris Van Hollen.

Not as many hats as I thought I would see on the menfolk. Sunnier than I thought it would be.

Obamas scheduled to leave White House within ten minutes....bathroom breaks and coffee making, advised.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

CqP, I know my art. pencil dresses are not art. (that I know). Boots are not art.

But, if it's Art Nouveau, or Art Flemming...

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Remiss in not complimenting Laura Bush. The color and style of her suit is quite flattering to her, more flattering than the rather fitted jackets she sometimes wears; however she is lovely and has always dressed well, has always be a credit as First Lady.

CqP, I am so impressed with the quality of the clothes we are seeing today.

About Jill's boots. Back in the day, we wore the boots with skirts/pants/or coats that covered the exposed knee, because knees are truly not pretty for most us. Fashion has changed that, whether we agree or not. Agree that Jill's look inspires possible pep rally memories, still I am just so pleased with it all, every little thing (imitating Jane Austin badly, here) :-)

Posted by: VintageLady | January 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

LiT: prescribing black olives, but you know this.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Vintage; Jill's lapse is so nothing! I feel concerned even saying it (fashion analysis can be snark) , but this is what Jane Austen would say, too. Yes on the day's looks and Laura Bush always is so gracious: i believe she wears herself authentically. Always, what works is that we are authentic. This explains why fashion looks can be so varied. Looking forward to MO's practical elegance. Clothes that permit motion will be common to her choices.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

for those of us without TV,any reccomended web links?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 20, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Report from friends on mall: the security peeps are fabulous and smiling and helpful and firm and friendly.

I know at least one of the police officers: I hear he is stationed near the Library of Congress and close to the Shakespeare Library. I used to watch his hockey games!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"Chrysler, Fiat form a strategic alliance
Italian automaker gets 35 percent stake in U.S. carmaker" HaHaHaHaHaHaHa... *dabbing tear from corner of my eye*
The merger of 2 spent giants. It will be fun to watch Chrysler ruin the fantastic little Fiat500 the way Ford destroyed its excellent UK-designed&built Focus.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 20, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

CNN live feed, GWE

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Boko, I do love the song in the last kit. Good shot.

Slyness

I think we got all the snow. My car is covered, and I don't see the stuff melting anytime soon. Gray sky, and no sign of sun in sight. I think the gift was a nice touch from Michelle Obama. I love the way the woman(Mrs. Obama) dresses. She really moves, as if the clothes feel good, freedom.

Back to the television.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 20, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Ted Kennedy looks very good, but thinnner. Carolina Blue silk scarf on.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm watching some of the Inauguration and am getting this feeling like it's some sort of National Graduation Day.

And part of the reason I didn't go Downtown to the Prom was that I didn't have a date.

KAPage asks if the Inauguration always like this (excitement, tension, etc.)?

- Well, I remember it being similar for Reagan and Clinton's first terms. There's an element of National Catharsis taking place here. A time for Change at Hand, a pivotal point in history.

Expressions of Hope and Joy.

At least until the next credit card bills come in, and people have to pay for all of this.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Somebody mentions black olives now and I get a Big Mac Attack. You'd think that in his business RD should know that some people just can't handle classified information.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Vintage: Jill has a grey flecked wool skirt. Looks very everywoman: her knees are withstanding the march of time....good for her.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Watching the counter-culture coverage from MSNBC. That big headed guy, Keith Olbermann. Can't seem to find coverage from Fox news.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"Maize colored suit" says Soledad O'Brien of MO's garb. The green gloves and shoes match: an interesting choice, that is very young and youthful as opposed to the requisite winter white or bone for this event.

Laura wearing a coat to match her suit....very elegent and muted but not dowdy.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Oops, gotta backboodle. Thanks for the kind words regarding my plagarism. I learned everything I know from Tom Leher.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

And....Laura Bush is wearing a matching coat to her suit!!!!! Wonderful!

Sorry, will go watch in other room with husband and vegetable soup, for now.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 20, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Ok, watching these two men who love this country exit the white house: teary.

We agree to be ruled by a document. We agree to honor an ideal. This frees us from the tyranny of history and epicycles of revenge.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm afraid the fashion reportage doesn't work for me. This is one of those times when it becomes clear that fashion and the fashioning of appearance is women dressing for the approval of other women. As far as shallow surface judgments go, this male person thinks that both Michelle Obama and Jill Biden are just plain gorgeous, and I would happily see either one in whatever she might choose to wear. Is it too rude and shallow of me to state that a Married Mom of Middle Age is Mighty Attractive?

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 20, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

LiT: green kitten heels, dear shoe friend. Kitten heels. In the olden days, these could be called:

low Louis heels or
low court heels

----
Let's meet up to go window shopping soon.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Some people shouldn't wear certain colors - I try to stay away from pinks because of my undertones.

I am at a loss to if there is some prescription for this.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

We forgive you sciTim. Nuff that you appreciate the mom-beauty.

Saw glance of MO's dress in light...thin metallic stitching into the cloth...Laura's ensemble is dove-grey blue and so perfect.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Did SciTim just say Oh MMMAMA!?

Posted by: DNA_Girl | January 20, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

still prescribing olives, BC: but you are born to the boon of this fruit

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks CP, this is great

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 20, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Bow tie on one of the SC justices....think he will do the swearing int...one of them has a toque plus ear muffins...spotted a purple beret on some person....looks like happy punctuation of absurdity...if that man has a wife, she is ruing the choice.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Scalia thinks he's Samuel L Jackson.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

mirepoix done for my sauce. First one of the new administration. forgot my olives. ... and mushrooms.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Tipper looks nice with a scarlet sweater and black coat. Marilyn Quayle looks excathly the same..... Eric holder is greyer....his wife has a mutlicolored silk scarf....

men , despite Holder's nice mustache, do not trythis at home...Really.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Starting to see kidlings in the wings...touching....

Tipper's scarf is red; strike that on a sweater. Tipper and Al look like they still are the once: cue Orleans tune.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Why, yes. Yes, I did say "Oh, MMMAMA!" Thanks for noticing.

For anyone who might question whether I am spending government money wisely with today's Boodling and radio-listening, let me note the following:

(1) I am a grant recipient, not a contractor, so I am actually legally entitled to do whatever I please. Of course, some activities are less likely than others to result in a renewal of the grant, a fact of which I am fully cognizant.

(2) The Federal government has declared today as an official holiday, and I work at a government facility.

(3) My own employer, however, does not acknowledge this holiday, so I am taking it as one of my three "Personal Days" per year.

(4) I will be moving to another employer within a month, and current contractual agreements do not permit me to take any of my unused leave time as salary. Buh-bye, couple-thou dollars. I feel that paying this price should entitle me to a little leeway on my work-load decisions.

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 20, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Senior Bushes in matching purple scarves...they look good, despite GBI with a cane. Would love to garden with Barbara.

Rosyn and Jimmy too, R. has a hand kniitted salt and pepper scarf

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Love the running clothing commentary about as much as I would love a sports commentary running through this day.

It's funny how the ladies' clothes get a whole paragraph on hues, styles of shoes, scarves, wraps, coats, skirts, pantsuits, etc., while the mens' wardrobes get, "He's wearing a blue tie."

Posted by: Gomer144 | January 20, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Hilary in brilliant peacock blue coat. Bill with wheat colored scarf.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

CqP, I was about to comment on the elder Bushes' scarves. Shoulda known you'd beat me to it. I like the symbolism of the choice.

Posted by: -bia- | January 20, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey Jimmy! Hi Roz! Gee, I love those two.

You have to admire Al Gore's restraint while walking behind Dan Quayle. Spit-wadding opportunities like that are few and far between.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Jimmy Carter......Gentleman Peanut farmer

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 20, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I do believe Sen. Clinton's coat is the same color as her first inaugural ball gown.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 20, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Seeing Bushes and Clintons reminds me that I don't like any smack of dynasty....at all, nor Kennedy clan. Sorry.

Sailors in their caps! Drum roll!!!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

On-line watching of the inauguration is impossible, looks like every possible source, including the Canadain ones, are saturated. Grrrrr.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 20, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Gomer ! Am trying but do you really think we have a chance at British paisley smoking jackets or Austin Powers velvet suits and ruffled piratical garb?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

shrieking, I'm doing fine with the WaPo live video. And I like the fact that it has the option of a live video feed without voice-over babbling. Good luck getting something that works for you.

Posted by: -bia- | January 20, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Dawn’s rosy fingers, and a New Day is made.
delivered to the nation in a motorcade
Is there a word for the day? Hope
Regrets looking back? Nope
and Michelle’s looking lovely in golden brocade

Posted by: engelmann | January 20, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Am watching CNN. Wish they would talk less and let me listen to the goings-on more.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 20, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering if Hilary would come in with the senators or with the cabinet nominees, but instead she shows up as ex-first lady. She gets a personal announcement that way, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Not a big deal, I guess.

Posted by: -bia- | January 20, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Bush twins: one in lavender scarf.
GB1 has a yellow or gold turtle neck on?

Malia and Sasha! Royal blue, coral with red touches....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Aretha! OboyOboyOboyOboy!

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Aretha is in majestic church lady hat! Grey with embellishments.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Good grief. OOoh, fashion!

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 20, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Sasha may be in a orange-age scarf...the coat may be pink...she had input into the choice!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Not that it matters at the moment, but I posted some thoughts on the Inauguration at the 10thcircle today...

After all, the New Guy's starting at Noon, hopefully he won't be late for his first day on the job...

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Engleman the pome-give.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Did I just see Cheney in a wheelchair?

Posted by: Raysmom | January 20, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

vintage lady: the sweater underneath the coat is the fashionable tie front.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

NBC's doing a good job of muzzling the commentators. Nice to see they gave the Obama girls such a nice separate entrance and ovation. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the NBC tip, Scotty. Much better.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 20, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Cheney pulled a back muscle during the moving process, apparently...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I thought I heard something about Cheney hurting his back recently and being told to stay off of his feet.

The fact that he's attending the podium in a wheelchair - lord, the irony.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

ScienceTim! Please to elaborate on change of employer.

Posted by: Yoki | January 20, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I must say, I think Nancy Pelosi looks great. Love the lavender (or is it lapis? cornflower?) coat and scarf.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Home page sez 2 million in the crowd. The long shots on TV sure support that. Apart from the streets, it looks to be sardines from the West Front of the Capitol all the way to the Washington Monument, with more people out to the Lincoln...

*shaking my head in wonder*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I heard someone mention Groundhog Day!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 20, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

If you look up "preternatural calm" in the dictionary, you'll see the President-Elect's face as he emerged from the depths of the Capitol.

And the chants begin...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Good words, BC:

Barbara Boxer is in merlot or burgundy or Shiraz...will check Nancy's scarf, an thinking Carlina or Copenhagen blue. Malia's coat is lapis blue.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Here comes Rick Warren. Tepid applause.

This should be interesting.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

NYT blog suggests the band amped things up to drown out boos for Republican leaders...

I think that blogger was imagining things. *raised eyebrow*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Please welcome Rick Warren."
*crickets*

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Beautifully done invocation.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Aretha!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Aretha.
*Now* we're talking!

Or rather, singing.
Sweet.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

It's noon, so oath or not, it's official.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 20, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

They're running late. Obama was supposed to be sworn at 11:56. And now Bush is no longer president. I don't think we have a president, technically speaking, folks.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 20, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Once I sent a link to Joel, and he ASKED PERMISSION TO USE IT! This takes good manners too far. So, in advance, yes. You can use the art, too.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 20, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That quartet - whoever they are - are pretty good.

Do they play weddings?

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

This music is "Simple Gifts," the 7th movement of Copland's Appalachian Spring. One of my favorites. Playing it a bit fast.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Brian Williams agrees with ya, Raysmom.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Brian Williams just said Obama became president four minutes ago,. I guess it is automatic.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 20, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Cowboy hat behind Biden well my goodness.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Chief Justcie Roberts and the President seemed to get a little tangled up there...

*L*

*saluting our new President, suppressing a Grover wave or three*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about you guys, but I burst into tears.

Posted by: nellie4 | January 20, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, the show's running late.

I think someone was stading in front of the podium making the "speed it up" gesture.

Oh, I think we're seeing just a little nerves on the part of Our New President at his swearing in. He's human.

If it were me, I'd be amazed if I could get out more than a croak. Besides, it'd be pretty cold for me being sworn in wearing full Glaidator regalia.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, man. Finally.

Look at that sea of people--amazing. On the side streets way back from the mall, even.

A little miscue on the oath. Wonder who goofed, Barack or Roberts?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | January 20, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

ScienceKid#1 went. To. The bathroom! and missed the Oath of Office.

Listening to the Inaugural Address!

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 20, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Roasted garlic in sauce... done... faster than Barry's list of problems in our country.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

He said

"founding documents"

Amen.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Whew, was afraid I'd miss something important. Got tangled up at the office making reno decisions. Love our contractors/building owners, and have done projects with them before, but man is it hard to disengage.

I'll shut up and listen now.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 20, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

You guys have the pomp and circumstance down pat.

I have the feeling the new man in charge would like the grover waves, Scotty.

Posted by: --dr-- | January 20, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Is George HW Bush's head being attacked by brain-eating tribbles? Where's the Secret Service?

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Concise, powerful, evocative.

Heckuva Inaugural Address.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 20, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I liked the Inaugural Address, and even the subtle message sent by President Obama removing his gloves to deliver it.

Before the Canadians get excited - no, he didn't drop them on the ice before turning to greet President GW Bush.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Roberts got the original wording a bit wrong, and this threw off the President. Sort of a Neil Armstrong moment, perhaps. But The President's speech certainly cements his reputation for eloquence.

Certainly not a pablum speech. Not a "we have nothing to fear but fear itself" speech. The President didn't shy away from the fact that we have many things to fear, but that we are up to the task.

Well done, Mr. President. Well done.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 20, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

am about todo something

wish me luck

Posted by: omnigood | January 20, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Very moving. Well done.

Posted by: engelmann | January 20, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

While I agree with the message, it was full of mildly disguised rebukes. I did like that Science got an individual mention. As if it had gone away instead of merely ignored.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 20, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Come on. I feel like Obama's daughters must. Fidgity that people are still talking. I wanna put the speakers in the windows and start the party.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 20, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Yon tribbles have a lean and hungry look.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

In my family there was a picture of one of our ancestors sitting by a trough where hogs were fed, and my grandmother said his family used to eat from that trough. Of course, his family were slaves. I thought about that picture and my ancestors when President Obama took the oath, and afterward I got up and did a little dance in my living room floor, right here, alone. And I read the words of the inaugural speech and saw it all, and thought how wonderful is this. I cried because of those that cannot see and those that endured much.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 20, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

WOW, That was great... I am a bit in tears... Joseph Lowery.

Takes me WAY BACK... SCLC.

One of the old lions of the movement.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

As with the joining of the rails at Promontory, Utah--One, two, three - DONE! Excellent address-hit the rights notes of hope and purpose, while noting the sometimes rough road it took to get us here. Let us now move forward.

Posted by: ebtnut | January 20, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Is this a great day or what!!!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | January 20, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

SCC: right notes, of course.

Posted by: ebtnut | January 20, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I went back on the DVR to make the call...

Words should be, " I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States'

Roberts said, "I will execute the office of President to the United States faithfully."

Obama paused, seemingly confused by the mis-wording. Roberts then gave the correct words, but Obama repeated back Roberts' original words.

Recoveries made, though. Hope this isn't bad luck as like the champagne bottle not shattering when christening a ship.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 20, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I finally look at it on TV with my boss, our very big boss (we learned she's a trained violinist), our editor and various other gunmint workers.
Warren got pretty lousy reviews with this bunch of heathen. He's the one who took too much time as well.
The irony of playing chamber music outside, to 2 million people surely wasn't lost on Yo Yo Ma and company. He used his real instrument ($2M), not the carbon fiber copy ($8k) by the way.
Very well done on Obama's part, very moving and I liked the little jabs he put in.

Fashion note I'm qualified to make: all the men wore pants.

I think Aretha's hat is going to the Smithsonian.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 20, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The designer of Michelle's dress is Isabel Toledo.

Holy Toledo, indeed!

Posted by: yellojkt | January 20, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

President Obama's :-) father was a foreign student, not an immigrant as Pastor Rick would have you beleive. (note restraint)

And poor Justice Roberts screwed it up. Aw.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 20, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Just got my first really good look at Michelle's gloves as she hugged LB. Very nice color.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 20, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom,
I am certain that somewhere a wingnut lawyer is preparing a brief claiming that since Obama did not say the words correctly, he isn't really the President. At the same time, there are people furiously blogging that it was a plot by Roberts to make Obama look inarticulate.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

crowd breaks into "hey, hey, goodbye" as W takes off. Warranted, but a tad rudely harsh to my ears. Laura's on that helicopter too.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 20, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Actually, viewing the oath again, it looks like Obama's pause was more like "Dude, want to try it again?" Accompanied by a small smile.

Posted by: Raysmom | January 20, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm better now. Documents signed. Lunch will be ready in 10 minutes. No birds. Anyone want to have lunch?

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Yahoo! Hooray! Finally!

I'm so happy. There's so much beauty in the world sometimes I think my heart will just explode.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 20, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The Chief Justice did mess up. And you're right, somewhere there's a nut trying to make a case out of the whole thing. Think the President might have to do a "redo"? According to the news, he was already the President.

Is the Chief Justice that childish? Trying to make the new President look bad? Could it have been nerves? I'd hate to think someone of that rank stooping that low.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 20, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, I didn't plan that quite right, ultimately. The WaPo video feed started breaking up during the invocation, and the cnn.com video wouldn't load either (it had earlier). So I ran over to the food court of the student union next door -- it was showing, but without sound. So I had to decide if I wanted to depend on the captions. Decided that I'd rather have only audio, ran back to my office and found a random radio station online and got to listen to the oath of office and the president's (!!!!!!) speech. The random radio station wasn't interested in the music or poetry or benediction, so I'll have to find those on youtube sometime. Good enough. I heard what mattered.

Posted by: -bia- | January 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, John Roberts is a person of integrity. He messed up, nerves, I would think.

Bc -- indoors, Nancy P. is wearing lilac or periwinkle suit, with grey featherweight sweater.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Better go do real stuff. Will have taxi metro duty later in the day.

Frosti -- about your comment, not at all gracious, those helicopter observers.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 20, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I guess what we have to remember is that although the crowd was huge, not everyone is happy on this day. Some folks are still quite angry, and that anger has to go somewhere or else it festers, which isn't good for anyone.

I feel a sense of relief somewhat, but still know that there are bad feelings out there. Just hope it doesn't grow into something else.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 20, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom - I think that is *exactly* what he was saying. I feel badly for Roberts. He clearly let nerves get a hold of him.

But it is a small thing. An amusing anecdote to a historic day.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 20, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say that Roberts did do it on purpose, I'm saying that people will accuse him of having done so. I'm gonna stop digging this hole.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 20, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

If the singing with Bush leaving is all that ever happens to him, then he should consider himself lucky. There are, as Cassandra has rightly pointed out, many folks who aren't very happy with the last eight years of the Bush Presidency.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Omni - whatever it is you're doing, sir, good luck.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Not one, but two new kits.

Ay, carrumba.

Posted by: -bc- | January 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I second bc's comment, omni!

Posted by: russianthistle | January 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't have minded seeing a tossed shoe hit w's chopper blades.

Posted by: Gomer144 | January 20, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Frosti, someone at FingerSaluteToBush.org had something even ruder in mind. A local blogger who's on site in DC reported they were passing flyers around at the inauguration.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 20, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh frabjous day indeed! There is much chortling here, and much rejoicing. I had the Internets up on two different computers, but I think everyone in the world logged on as the Great Moment approached. I ended up in the conference room watching it on the TV, which was much better.

Yay Aretha, and her hat will go to the Smithsonian along with GHW Bush's.

I liked Warren more than I expected, and Rev. Lowery provided the perfect ending note. I thought the oath slip-up was a little charming, a little relaxation amidst all the tension and seriousness. And no, taking the Oath isn't what makes him president.

Of course I was tremendously impressed by the speech. As I've said before, among Obama's great strengths are his ability to speak honestly about the difficulties we face as a country, his insistence on demanding action and sacrifice from the citizens, and his confidence that we will measure up to the task.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Man down! MSNBC saying both Ted Kennedy and Sen. Byrd have been taken away from the inauguration luncheon by ambulance.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 20, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse