Hope Springs Eternal

We got "preliminary" excerpts of Obama's speech tonight, and he's hitting the hopeful note, the it's-darkest-just-before-the-dawn note. And it's obvious to me that he was reading my blog this morning. Who could deny it? [And notice how, within seconds of me saying that the bottom had likely been reached, or at least hinting at that, the market BOOMED. Sometimes I scare myself. Such power. I have to be careful not to think ill of someone I pass in the hallway, lest the person suddenly go up in flames.]

Obama:

"But while our economy may be weakened and our confidence shaken; though we are living through difficult and uncertain times, tonight I want every American to know this: We will rebuild, we will recover, and the United States of America will emerge stronger than before.

"The weight of this crisis will not determine the destiny of this nation. The answers to our problems don't lie beyond our reach. They exist in our laboratories and universities; in our fields and our factories; in the imaginations of our entrepreneurs and the pride of the hardest-working people on Earth. Those qualities that have made America the greatest force of progress and prosperity in human history we still possess in ample measure. What is required now is for this country to pull together, confront boldly the challenges we face, and take responsibility for our future once more."

[President is on at 9 p.m. fyi...Please boodle up a storm!]

Uh-oh. One glass of chablis = Certain Death.

Most viewed article on our site: Gene's chat!

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 24, 2009; 5:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moral Hazard
Next: The Democratic Reagan

Comments

First?

Posted by: Sara54 | February 24, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Second?

Those prelim excerpts aren't embargoed?

Whatever. Sounds like the President will be articulate. One of the nice things of having Obama as President is his radio voice. Reagan would be impressed.

More seriously, I was driving through an old part of town and gosh, there was something going on in front of a little duplex. A whole flock of peachy hippeastrum (Christmas amaryllis) flowers. Someone must have set out one or two plants many years ago, and they spread. At least six feet, so far. Not bad for bulbs spreading vegetatively. I suppose I could do a bit of mathematical modeling and present an age estimate.

This seems a bit early. The beds at Leu Gardens in Orlando go off in mid March.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 24, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

This makes me feel better about being a teetotaler for my health, Joel.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 24, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

That first paragraph reminds me of the stirring intro for that SciFi classic, "The Six Million Dollar Man."

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...faster...stronger."

And I don't believe for a second that Obama doesn't know that.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 24, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna risk it Joel, because, you know, cancer doesn't tun in my family.

Of course, alcoholism does.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 24, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

SCC: doesn't "run." I have no idea what "tun" means but it sounds kinda unpleasant.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 24, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Also, you're not a woman, RD.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 24, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

True.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 24, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Public Service Announcement:

Sara would like to say that the world will not end on December 21, 2012. The Mayan calendar just starts over. That's how it works. That's how it worked last time the calendar ended. Stop sending ridiculous e-mails.

Thank you.

End PSA.

This has been in response to my day.

Posted by: Sara54 | February 24, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Of course Obama is reading your blog, Joel. He takes sensible advice wherever he finds it, and I understand he has a good sense of humor too. Where else is he getting his sciencey news?

I hope to join at least some of the live-blog, though I'll be late to the party. For eight years I never cared that rehearsal schedules took me away from Presidential addresses. Now, suddenly, I find it annoying.

I'm sticking to my red wine. Or white, as appropriate. Or, as now, vodka tonic - I'm preparing a lecture on federal magistrates and the Article III powers of the federal courts. One doesn't want to do this unaided.

Sara54, the Boy mentioned something the other day about the world ending soon thanks to the Mayan calendar. The things kids learn in school these days.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

*Portentous Voice-Over*

"School? Or... on-line gaming?"

*End Portentous Voice-Over*

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I also learned it in school--college. But I learned the opposite--that it won't end like all the crazies say. My thesis was on Mesoamerican studies. And that is how I know these people are crazy. 13.0.0.0.0 does not equal world destruction. It just means the next day will be 0.0.0.0.0, the beginning of the calendar all over again. And it means that's as far as the Mayan long-count went.

Ohhhh, so mystical and foreboding. The limits of a numbering system!!

Posted by: Sara54 | February 24, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"Produce the note."

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 24, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

And although I am not a woman, Wilbrod, I am partly British.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 24, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't you just love that, Wilbrod? Of course, the mortgagee should have a copy, but why should he/she come up with it?

Come to think of it, I don't know where the paperwork is on my current mortgage. The original one is still in my filing cabinet. Hmmm, I'll have to check on it, one of these days.

Anybody celebrating Mardi Gras tonight?

Posted by: slyness | February 24, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm celebrating with clean laundry. Yay!

Posted by: Sara54 | February 24, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I am celebrating by packing for my trip to the DC area! This quite puts me in the party spirit.

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

We had pancakes for supper!

Posted by: dmd2 | February 24, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm celebrating with a 1.5 litre bottle of cheap Canadian whiskey and playing with power tools. Which, as most of you know, is not really celebrating but a regular thing.

Maybe I'll turn up the stereo in the shop.

Posted by: martooni | February 24, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know if that Mayan calendar has, like, girls on it? Because if it does, I'd like to take a look at it (just *love* short wimmin).

I called that wine story to my wife's attention. She pointed out that she has NO history of cancer in her family whatsoever. I pointed out that she doesn't drink chardonnay anyway; she's strictly a zinfindel gal. Also, she tends to drink two glasses, not just one. So we both figure that story didn't apply to her.

How come Sara disappears for two years and the day she comes back she's first in the new kit?? It just ain't fair, I'm tellin' ya.

On the other hand, maybe if we conspired with Joel, we could get Nani and K-guy back if we promised them "firsts" on new kits.

Slyness, if you've got the beads, I'm willing to pull up my shirt.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 24, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I’m celebrating the news from my accountant that I’m actually getting a tax refund - both federal and state. Yippee!! Last year I had to pay and it hurt. Most of the money will go ‘under the mattress ‘ but some will go towards our vacation this summer. Nova Scotia here we come!

Regarding the last Kit, I’m not happy about bailing out irresponsible people either, but as others have said, it was the lenders that gave unqualified people loans and they aren’t being tossed onto the street. Besides, it’s more important to try to get our economy on solid footing than it is to punish people. It’s part forgiveness and part pragmatism.

Bought “Sailing Alone Around the Room” today Mudge and am enjoying it very much.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 24, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Once again Beatrice is running about like a mad thing - Frenetic Random Activity Pattern indeed. She just stopped to paw my knee for no apparent reason.

Yoki, that was a good Portentious Voice. It could easily be on-line gaming.

Mudge, I have the beads. The Boy has an astonishing collection of MardiGras beads. I promise not to throw them if you promise to keep your shirt on. Happy Fat Tuesday, y'all.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 24, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Not enough fat for me
Or treats on this Fat Tuesday--
Gnome's a real piker.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 24, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I meant to link this earlier for DaveOTC since he mentioned Niall Ferguson. Interview in today's G&M. Short version: not so much with the cheery outlook. I guess the giveaway may have been the title (hed? lede? I still don't know these things).

Posted by: engelmann | February 24, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Can't resist a deal like that, IM. Anyway, it's chilly in here.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 24, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Counting on the boodle to catch me up with the beginning of the speech tonight as I'll be getting off work and racing home to see it.

Driving northward tonight on business I had a thought about moral hazard- Am I the kind of person who is ok with some guilty murderers going free, because of constitutional protections some call "technicalities," in order to insure that we don't execute any of the innocent? Or am I the sort who is ok with a few innocents dieing to insure we get all the murderers? I like to think I'm more of the former, even if they do have nicer counter tops and went with the glass tile back splash instead of the DIY subway tile.

From the last boodle-CqP-you know a heathen hates it when a biblical story explains it all.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Tarnation! When EYE tried to type Portentious, Safari objected to (and still does, I guess Steve Jobs doesn't know how to spell that word) the right spelling, so I spelt it wrong, and now Ivansmom shows me up by sneaking the correct word past the spell-check. Darn it all to bells!

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I just went and looked, Mudge. The Geekdottir took all the beads with her. She had a nice stash that I brought her the last time we went to NOLA. Darn.

We had ham for supper. I'm not much into pancakes, they are carb-heavy and they don't stick to your ribs.

Posted by: slyness | February 24, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

The correct spelling is portentous, Yoki. Steve Jobs was right.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 24, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Hi Frosti. Gosh darn that spot-on Torah, anyway.

Yoki, you are channeling my Irisher granny with that hells = bells thingie.

Slyness, can lend you rosary beads if you must flash something at the rapscallion Mudge. Jeezy peezy, I'll send you a batch of the cheapie, glow-in-the-darkie ones!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I heard an essay read by a teenager on NPR this a.m. She said, in a nutshell, that the current economic crisis had her thinking about prudent expenditures and savings. It also kept her a little worried, which teenagers, she asserted, should not have to be.

Well, that was me in spades. My dad lost his job when I was a teen and it turned me into a freaky-crazy miser. I have always been terrified of not being able to pay my bills. It only got worse as an adult, as I spent 14 years practicing bankruptcy law. I know how quickly good things can go bad.

I'm not saying that I'd wish that kind of paranoia on anybody, but it can pay off. I have a very modest house and car (paid off), no credit card debt. Never took a fancy vacation in my life, never bought a single item of clothing that wasn't on sale, even when I was making $100K.

Now here I am, eating up my savings as I struggle with unemployment. I keep telling myself that I am luckier than most ... at least I have some savings. But basically I am in trouble because of the actions of a whole lot of other people.

So part of me gets righteous pissed when we start talking about bailing out all these folks who ... well, who were not like me. Not just the McMansion owners, but the bankers and the auto execs and the whole dirty lot of rich people who want government money.

But what are ya gonna do? Let the country slide into bankruptcy? Can you imagine people politely standing in bread lines nowadays? Ha. There'd be riots.

So I put a lid on my grumbling, tell myself repeatedly that I am lucky, and hope like hell that Obama and his Brain Trust know what they're doing ... and that things turn around before the money runs out ... mine and the country's.

And I thank God that I was a worried teen.

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Hi there, TBG....I find myself without some really fab chocolate tonight, to go out in Fat Tuesday style. Forty days is a long time to go without the good stuff. Shall perhaps wait for Orthodox Ash Wednesday Can you fax me an honorary Grecian-gal card? Shall we rename me as Callipe QuaPenopolopylae?

About Lenten leanness. My granny kept her girlish figure by gaining at Xmas, then letting the forty days melt away at that withers' padding....Gain five/Loose five. Also, I KNOW she followed the medieval custom of no you-know-what.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Kboom. Hear you. Sorry. Faxing really good and luscious chocolate for you.

Fashion comment: odd jacket worn by Nancy P. Zip? Celtic adornment? Great color. Frosti, did you see that oddity?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Ruth looks good! Modest lace doily collar, unlike the jabot she tends to rock.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

That is quite enough of that, CP!

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Frosti. Nancy P's sweater has a lace=up deal....weird...Celtic Mr. Rogers, with earthy lacing?

Michelle is lovely in purple satin sleeveless dress. She is a real dress gal. The dress is back!
Hillary in cerise boiled wool suit jacket; charm necklace...cannot see if this is a pantsuit.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

My 'Beat The Retreat' album came in. I'm already ripping it and will listen to it after the SotN speech.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Major American Network Reference, please

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Is Nancy Pelosi wearing a slanket?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 24, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Jan Napolitano sporting a jacket in b/w micro print, perhaps with silver threading on color. Jan and I went to college together. Great and good person.

Don't know all the men yet: suits and ties, with some flag pins. That is all.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I love those Sergeant of arms guys -- really steady and know their stuff...Obama in red diagonal striped tie

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Reid has interesting light purple tie...followed by silver fox Steny Hoyer of MD....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Tiny tiny dynamo Barbara Mikulski in deep eggplant turtleneck and cerise boxey jacket. (Cerise now dem-gal power color?)

Atmosphere is friendly, friendly...

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Stars and garters, that Obama is one good-lookin' man.

Kiss ME, Mister President!

:-)

Thanks for the chocolate. CquaP ... wasn't trying to be such a baby!

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

TBG -- slanket....suit blanket?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Nancy Pelosi.

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Boodle -mojo Kboom.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Yoki -- switching between PBS and CNN. Helps?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

You may not like Nancy P., but you have to like her sense of style and taste.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 24, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Slanket...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 24, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

RickO -- Tonight, the green sweater jacket is not my favorite. Does she want to channel:

hard at work, in a sweater
heat at 65, in my sweater

And, R- looks sorta second gen-Celtic matron of Beverly, So. Chicago...

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Nancy's jacket is a horribly boring sage green on my TV --- hope it is better in real life. Did I tell you all I had dinner with Nancy back around Thanksgiving?

Posted by: nellie4 | February 24, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Though, RckO -- she is wealthy Italian daughter of Baltimore pol....wearing something that could come from the Wee Things of Ireland shop...so, intercultural?

I shall stop with that now....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Tell, Nell
Dish, Sis

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually my family ate at the table next to hers in a great pizza place in the Napa valley. She looked better in person than on TV.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 24, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Fox is about (aboot) 5 seconds late on CBC's broadcast of Obama's address. Are they afraid of a wardrobe malfunction or that he will let out one of the seven words you can't say on TV?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 24, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't like simpering John McCain. Gaah!

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I like the color on her -- suits her skin tones, and I like the collar and the diagonal darts under the shoulders, and I think it has tiny buttons or something down the front and a nice semi-fitted shape. If we saw it up close, I think it'd work. I agree it doesn't pop on the tv screen.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 24, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

RThistle --he is singing your boodle Am song.
TBG -- oh, the slanket is a snuggie.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Ric -- TV is unkind. I think her hair looks great. And, I covet that fabulous olive skin that ages so much better than the sharkskin underbelly of some I know.

Wow, Nelly, you are a California-gal?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Now, on the Barack: do we like his tie?

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 24, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Scc: Oops, I meant to say 'on to Barack...'

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 24, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Nah on the tie: red stipes compete with the flag in the back.

Lieberman in pale maize shirt; A. Spector in beige suit? Almost corduroy in look. HUGE red tie.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

All my life, CP, except for the 25+ years in the east while my husband was in the military.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 24, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

CP -- currently in San Luis Obispo. My daughter and her family live in the Napa valley.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 24, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Rangle and his leonine hair, with butter yellow iridescent tie

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Nellie, you live in town with my middle brother and father. SLO is gardenspot.

Schumer with lavender shirt and windowpane purple tie? --- could be blue, as the color values in tv are imprecise.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, we should have a CA BPH, Pa Frostinlaw is just up the road in Paso Robles.

Whew, dashed in from the garage just in time for the start of the speech. Just now getting here.

Nancy's jacket is not at all sagey on my tiv. It is one of my favorite colors, I think Lands End calls it basil.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Cap and trade on climate...betting that the tax word is not uttered, as on

carbon comma tax

(PS. there is NO clean coal)

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

ARGH! The video feed on WaPo isn't working on my computer!

Posted by: slyness | February 24, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Turquoise nubby silk jacket on Jill B -- nice with her golden blondeness

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Cure for cancer in our time....who said that? Nixon? Kennedy?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I still don't get why business doesn't embrace health care reform. I hope he says something substantive about what we should do in that regard.

Go 'bama. But lose that tie.

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Tall Steny Hoyer in buttercream foulard tie...see, I am not leaving out the sartorial choices of the menfolk

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

McCain in gold solid tie and oxford blue shirt

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Like the at least "one more year" idea for young adults leaving high school...and he said voc.ed. GOOD!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

FYI-the line early on about 57 police officers not getting laid off in Mpls first appeared as a tweet on RT Rybak's twitter feed, then it was on the White House blog, then RT tweeted about it being picked up on the blog, then it made the speech.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Hatch-Kennedy high ed/training act...

Hatch in Reagon-brown suit with yellow gilt tie; Patrick Kennedy in blue tie...smiling.....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Dianne Feinstein in tonal fine-hand melton wool jacket and jewel neck sweater....claret? Color of DBG's excellent ruched ballet flats....pardon the private note....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

"For 7 years we've been a nation at war, no longer will we hide its price."
Bravo!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Wish to modify color on Mikulski's jacket:

electric salmon, not cerise

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Jill Biden -- on PBS looks to be in seafoam...sigh...JA needs to help me intern with RobinGivhan....so, I can land a press pass and see those colors in person

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Patrick Kennedy looked kind of gormless to me.

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes CqP, do. I cannot believe purple has become such a popular tie color-must be my tv.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Criminy, I hope my right wing friends are watching this!

Posted by: Kim1 | February 24, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

A big shout out to "We as a nation do not torture."

Thank God!

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 24, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Yoki said gormless! I do love it.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kim! Thought of you today when discussion turned to camellias. Can't be too much longer for you now (if they haven't already bloomed).

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Boy, I wish I worked for *that* banker. The most I ever got from Kenny Jastrow was a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese."

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Good guy on the bonus...very good. But, sigh, when did doing the right thing become heroic?

Gorm.....so good a word, dear Y.

Darling girl from S.C. In lavender blouse-shirt waiste dress, with large Peter Pan collar....darling bobbed hair.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

'tis a skirt and blouse Michelle is wearing. Gorgeous!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Michelle O's dress appears to be two pieces of two different fabrics.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 24, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The reaction to the banker was odd, the politicians could decide whether it merited a standing O or not.

Posted by: dmd2 | February 24, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Ric...good eye...could be reversible "shot" satin...more on that after the speech...

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Good speech. Now for the bomb-throwing response.

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey frosti! Yep, they've been blooming for a couple of weeks. I love them, particularly the deep red blooms. A park near my house has masses of them and I nearly crash the car as I drive by.

Gormless is an awesome word!

Love Michelle O's dress. Great color.

Posted by: Kim1 | February 24, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I totally agree about Patrick Kennedy's gormlessness. He is the exemplar.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 24, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The pen used is a

SHARPIE!!!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

RicO-- not all JP Kennedy grandchildren scooped up the charm bits or brain neurons that others did. And, some are down right missing moral clockworks...

GORMless, Yoki. Word of the Boodle today, I am sure. ALso, know that Gorm is an ancient nordic warrior....related to Crud the Destroyer...think he was Gorm the blue tooth....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Jindal sounds like a used car salesman.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | February 24, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Um ... is this the guy who sez he's going to refuse the bailout money?

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Dear Bobby, do you remember that it was a Republican bureaucrat who kept those boats out of the water? Hm?

Posted by: KBoom | February 24, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I was in tears by the end of the speech. I swear that has never happened before, not for one of these state of the union type things. Wow!

Kboom, I know how you feel. I wasn't quite so wise as you, but I learned from my mistakes, and was finally making some headway, when BAM - knocked down. I'll get up again, they're never gonna keep me down (a thousand apologies for the tune cootie).

Hell's bells is Irish? No wonder I like that expression. When I lived in a Houston, a colleague of mine said that, only she pronounced it "Hail's bails"!

Posted by: seasea | February 24, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Make that a lying used car salesman.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | February 24, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

He was only planning to refuse about one percent of it, the unemployment payment part. But Sen. Chuck Schumer(sp) is saying the bill was written in such a way that he either has to take it all, or he can't take any of it.

He's using McCain's old talking points! What a dip.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 24, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Me too, seasea, felt a little weepy. I was particularly struck by his gracious remark that every person in that room loves their country. Now that's a change I can believe in, a president who leaves behind the ugliness of the "you're with us or against us and if you're against us you want the terrorists to win and you hate freedom" Bush/Cheney years.

Posted by: Kim1 | February 24, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

So you've got yer Gorm, and yer Crud.

seasea, Hail's Bail's is hilarious!

And of course, Irish is lots of Viking, thus the connection.

Good night, Boodle dear. Still have packing. So silly.

Posted by: Yoki | February 24, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I may disagree with B.J. but, wow. At midlife, in my country, two brown people speaking from both sides of the spectrum. We are all listening, not all agreeing, but listening. By brown, I mean what Richard Rodriquez means:

BILL MOYERS: So, what is brown?

RICHARD RODRIGUEZ: Brown is the color of our mixture. It's the color, ultimately of our American identity. It is the color we have resisted.
(2/14/03)

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 24, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

engelmann,
Thanks for the Globe & Mail gloom & doom from Ferguson, who noted: "The debtors … (U.S., Europe) ... are going to have to sell off their assets. Call it the global foreclosure. They're going to be selling their assets cheaply to those who have the surpluses..."

I'm trying to think what in Florida might be sellable.

Meanwhile, in addition to a whole flock of amaryllises flowering nearby, some caladiums are popping up in the yard, which means that a vastly oversized order of caladium "bulbs" will be on my doorstep soon. Gotta clean up the beds, maybe add a bunch of organic matter.

Caladiums are from the Amazon, but they were turned into cultivated plants by an enterprising plant breeder near Orlando. Check Google Maps for brightly striped fields south of Lake Istokpoga near Lake Placid. That's the world's supply of caladiums growing on muck.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 24, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

On the phone with Mr. F through much of Jindal's response. Good thing too, I would have been throwing things at the TV.

On PBS after, David Brooks said Jindal's speech was a disaster. Really let loose about how out of touch it was with where the country is and what it needs, and what the rep party needs. Didn't leave much for Mark Shields to say.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 24, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I confess I was yelling at him.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 24, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I thought Obama absolutely nailed every important point tonight and probably made his best speech ever.

Jindal... not so much.

I wish Obama would cuss, though. I think a few foul words here and there would have been very appropriate considering his immediate audience.

Posted by: martooni | February 24, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I listened to most of Jindal's response on the way home from the Air and Space Museum (Family Science Night tonight), but I had to turn off the radio sometimes. Lots of warmed-over stupidity, following that lengthy and insipid butt-kissing recitation of Obama's biography. Bobby, dude, we already have Obama's biography from the man himself. He makes it stirring and fresh each time I hear it. You -- not so much.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 24, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a pundit like prediction- stay up for the Daily Show tomorrow night, Jon Stewart will have a bit on Bobby Jindal=Kenneth the Page (from 30 Rock).

Toodles boodle, I'll put the recycling out and turn off the lights.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 25, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I didn't listen to Jindal, but my knitter online friends are making the comparison to Kenneth the Page too. I love him! Almost makes me want to listen to the speech...almost. Robert Kaiser compared Jindal to Mister Rogers, but he didn't think that was quite right.

Looks like my former state rep/county executive/governor will be nominated for Commerce Secretary:

And I can't resist linking to this video with an appearance by Gov Locke on youtube (again):

Posted by: seasea | February 25, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Evening all
Stopped by the overlook to try and catch a glimpse of Lulin and there she was.A much cleare night and visible by the naked eye.A nice green blob,even better with binoculars. stopped at another clear field without background light and it was very nice too.

Driving up my mountain a deer bolted across the road and tried to get up a steep slope,and fell right back down in the road on it's back with all four legs in the air,but just as quickly as it fell,it was back a up and took off up the road.Pretty cool sight.....but wait there is more.

A large owl swooped down in front of my car and flew up the road I was driving,sort of staying in my high beams beam.It was even cooler then the deer.I think I was in the presense of the comet spirit.When I got to my driveway he landed in a nearby tree.

3 cool things in 1 night.

Oh Great Comet Spirit come and visit more often......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 25, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

howdy, y'all. another three kit day. hard to keep up.

gwe, i do enjoy your nature reports.

i caught the last 10 minutes of the obama speech and thought it was great. about jindal, at least consider bright side. the repubs went for brains this time and didn't ask you-know-who from alaska.

Posted by: LALurker | February 25, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle, Al.

I looked out on the tarmac and I don't think even bc is here yet. So I'll put the coffee on and leave breakfast on the table.

And wish you all a fine day. I'll be offline because, you know, laptops can be used once the captain turns off the seatbelt sign but sending and receiving functions must remain off at all times during the flight.

Posted by: Yoki | February 25, 2009 5:28 AM | Report abuse

Deer falls, gorgeous
Owl flies, hightailing on trees
Ye saw dreams come true

Posted by: DNA_Girl | February 25, 2009 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Morning, Al! I'm doing Snoopy dances on the flightline, it's payday, it's payday!

In December and January, I bought half of a refrigerator (for the Elderdottir), half of a dishwasher, and half of the installation of a new bathroom fan and light, all without going into savings for more than $50. I've felt like I was on the verge of bankruptcy for the last couple of weeks, hence the joy for the 25th of the month.

My cold seems to be a bit better today. I hope I have a little energy, because like Cassandra, this is my busy day.

Hey Cassandra! Hope you get your walk in.

Posted by: slyness | February 25, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Morning Al... I hope Yoki has a great flight(s) today and arrives in DC all in one piece. Hey Yoki... it's COOOOOOLD here today. Make sure you have your warm coat this time.

Great commentary last night. I was here, but mostly I was on iChat with Son of G who was watching from Charlotte. He'll be home tomorrow again, but leaves for good in mid-March. I'll miss the boy, that's for sure.

We were wondering... what was that thing in front of Nancy Pelosi? A silverware tray? Oil & vinegar set? And didn't she realize she was on TV the entire time?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 25, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

I am ashamed to admit I did not realize that this was not an actual State of the Union Message until the speech began. The individual who informed of this was none other than my son. So, perhaps, there is a future for this country after all.

Of course, he is also the one who informed me that according to some bizarre alternative universe scifi mythology, any politician with a striped tie is actually a clone.

In this dimension, though, the tie was a poor choice because it clashed with the backdrop and came dangerously close to inducing that distracting moiré effect.

Yet this was probably the worst thing about his performance. Indeed, the only other negative aspect was Nancy Pelosi leaping to her feet whenever Obama used an adjective of which she was especially fond. I started to feel a little sorry for the President. Poor guy couldn't get through a complete sentence without Pelosi acting like a biological applause sign.

The speech itself was pretty much perfect. Many of sentiments expressed were so familiar to me that I am beginning to think Obama really does read the boodle.

[Call me. We need to talk.]

And I am a little annoyed with is the obnoxious camera decisions made by CBS. I want to see the President, not reaction shots of Republican opponents. What were they hoping for, some kind of scowl or shaken fist? Please, if Angelina is shrewd enough to smile at Jennifer you know that John Boehner isn't going to flip anyone the finger.

The big question, of course, is whether the President can actually get the massive lumbering elephant of Congress to get these things done. I hope so. And I think he made a compelling case that now really is the time.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 25, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

New kit coming shortly....

Posted by: joelache | February 25, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse