Super Bowl XLIII

Can I just say that I hate Roman numerals. I'm so glad Obama isn't our XLIVth president.

My money is on the Cardinals (taking the points of course). Though the Achenbro is highly skeptical. He told me, "When your team is named after a wimpy little bird, and the other team is named the Steelers, you've got problems." It does give one pause, doesn't it? Cardinals aren't even scary birds. They're not exactly raptors, you know? Why not just call them the Arizona Parakeets?

I think the keys to the game will be:

1. Blocking, tackling, running, kicking, passing and catching. These factors so often get overlooked amid the hoopla and fanfare of the Super Bowl. Also cheerleading, another one of the "fundamentals" that the TV announcers too often ignore.

2. Cleats. How come we don't hear more about the cleats? There should be a sideline reporter who focuses just on the footwear. But you see the modern fan doesn't understand the game the way it used to be understood, back in the day, when fans were educated, and football players were real men, and they didn't have to rely on sissy stuff like helmets and face masks and mouthguards and padding.

3. The military jet flyover. That can scare the bejeezus out of the players and throw off their game plans. If you see Kurt Warner flinching you know he's going to have a bad night.

4. Bruce. I see him not only performing briliantly at halftime but making some key 3rd down receptions in the second half.

[More insight to come!]

[By the way: I caught the tail end of Obama talking to Matt Lauer. Why were the troops laughing when Obama gave them a shout-out?]

Greatest play in Super Bowl history? James Harrison rumblin' and bumblin' from goal line to goal line as time expires? I can't think of anything that compares.

The Boss: I'd give that an A-minus with the minus for the crotch-slam on the camera at the end of his stage-slide.

I missed the memo on needing 3-D glasses. The Super Bowl was supposed to be the last great unifying cultural event, and yet this year there are people with 3-D vision and those of us with just the 2-D vision. I thought Obama was going to end this kind of divisiveness.

With 11:21 left in the game I see a miracle finish for the Cards, and a feel-good ending for Old Man Warner. But at the very least they ought to cover the spread.

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 1, 2009; 5:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Needs My Advice
Next: A Smashing Super Bowl

Comments

If Brooce can get free in the backfield, he's unstoppable. The song's not called "Born To Run" for nothing.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Joel,
It's the "time delay" that made it look like the troops were laughing at the President. My guess is they were laughing at his Jessica Simpson comment. Lauer pointed out that Simpson had covered him up on the cover of a magazine and Obama said something about Simpson having weight issues! I think he may have been reading the headline.

Posted by: LizaCovert | February 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

First? Everybody watching the pre-game?

Joel, you there? I just finished reading April Witt's piece on the Berwyn Mayor's raid. I do believe the WaPo has just published its first Pulitzer-worthy piece of the new year. (You can tell the brass I said so.)

It has a really, reallllly long lede, all the way to the bottom of the second "take," but it is worth it. I cannot see how any dog lover (and there are many in the Boodle, as you know), could possibly make it dry-eyed past the third page. I don't see how any reader could make it to the end without being sad and angry, both. She did a really great job with the narrative.

It's at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/23/AR2009012302935.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2009013002471&s_pos=

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Back from a weekend in the country. Steelers fans, Cardinals fans--have a good game. I've got no dog in this hunt.

But I do have wings in the fryer and a Yuengling in front of me. Doesn't get much better...

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not as squeamish as RD:

Well, brunettes are fine, man
Blondes are fun
But, when it comes to getting the dirty job done,
I'll take a red-headed woman, a red-headed woman.
It takes a red-headed woman to get a dirty job done.

Your on your own for the other verses.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Republican or Democrat, Steeler or Cardinal fan,Vegan or carnivore, now is the time to give our new President the remote control.

Gimme some uh them chips, though.

See

Posted by: MikeLicht | February 1, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Yes, mudge. The SWAT Dog Killers story had me even madder than the Springsteen article, but then it was meant to. I remember being highly outraged when the story first ran. Now I'm even more so.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I must admit I do not feel strongly about who wins this game. I can generate motivation for either team. And I kinda like it this way.

Obama had a charming little chat. It is such a delight to sense a true intelligence behind the words of the Commander in Chief. Obama also has a real wicked wit about him that I find refreshing.

Yello - somehow I don't think Bruce will be highlighting that little ditty at the halftime show. Pity.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 1, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Joel, don't you be badmouthing parakeets. They can be vicious little buggers. I had one as a kid that could nip you something fierce. Really.

It haunts me still.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 1, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I'm with you on that narcotic hit magazine article. Talk about Nazi stormtroopers! I sobbed out loud reading about the dogs.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Mudge-Pulitzer worthy indeed. Slimed my sweatshirt sleeve about halfway in. Wish it were an isolated incident but it's not.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sad to say that bc, having delivered an absolutely meatacular chili to the NukeAbode's festivities, will be forced to view the Super Bowl in monocular fashion...

Upon viewing the ad for Dennis Quaid starring in the upcoming G.I. Joe movie, he clapped his hand so hard against his forehead that it stuck, obscuring his left eye. Even Vise-Grips have proven ineffective.

Updates to come...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

And way to not cover Hines Ward, Cardinals...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

repost...

Jennifer is looking lovely and a bit nervous

OK that is now very late

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

The Cards will have to be far more consistent on defense, and a Big Ben bootleg gets things rolling.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Bud Light? Eh.

Jason Stathan and the Audi A6? Yep!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Or not. bc and I agree the field goal choice is odd, unless it's a fake...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Pepsi? Eh.

Doritos. Nah.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm kind of with JA on the bird thing. A team named after a bird, and not a raptor, does induce a certain amount of doubt. But, hey, they could still win. I'm not looking, and not really that interested. Just can't get too hyped about the game. It's probably a female thing. Enjoy the game.

Posted by: cmyth4u | February 1, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Whooda thunk Warner's first problem would come on a handoff?? No one stepped on his foot, either. *shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Bud Light again? Eh redux.

"Year One?" Nah.

Toyota? Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

so far the commercials bite

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Mr. F-"Who was that guy in the Bud Light commercial?"
If he didn't like football so much I'd wonder if he was really an American.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Ben needed Warner's arm for that throw...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Amazing job by Ben.

The "Wildcat?" Not so much.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Or as bc said, "the Confused Kitten."

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

But the Steelers have held the ball for about 11 minutes of the 1st quarter.

*raised eyebrow*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Bridgestone? Not too shabby.

"Fast and Furious"? eh.

Grease monkeys? Worth a giggle.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

It's shaping up to be a long night for the Cardinals.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith is available for pre-orders.
"... features the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Complete with 20 illustrations in the style of C. E. Brock (the original illustrator of Pride and Prejudice), this insanely funny expanded edition will introduce Jane Austen's classic novel to new legions of fans."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Land of the Lost? At least they have Sleestaks!

Doritos? Eh.

GoDaddy? Nah. Hmmmmmmmm. No.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

The commercials are getting better, but aren't they awfully violent?

(The doritos ad was quite funny, except for the getting hit by a bus part.)

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I laughed at the Doritos commercial. But they shoulda just let it end when the vending machine got smashed.

Steelers look strong. That Roethlisberger fellow musta been the tallest in his class.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 1, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

frotbitten, you got a dual "Hah" from bc and me on that one.

Diet Pepsi? Eh.

Pedigree? OK.

Bud? Chuckle.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Horses and dogs; keep 'em coming.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

double SCC: frostbitten, and "HAH!"

Bud, take II? eh.

"Star Trek?" Yep!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

They heard me!

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I love that romance and chivalry are still alive at the Bud advertising agency.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

NukeSpouse agrees, Maggie. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Give Warner a few seconds, and he'll show Ben how to throw...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

What a catch!!!

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

And we have a game.

As NukeSpouse noted, the Cards don't scr3w around in the goal line.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

WOW

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Trying to comment on the lycra-fest....miss the lace up pants....very much like some aspects of men's breeches in an earlier era.

Ladies, the warm weather means the lycra tops are rather cap-sleeved in effect. Toned arms are best for that look.

RD -- the commercial of a saved bunny...thinking of you.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

G? eh.

Cars.com? Nnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Whoooooooa nellie, Mr. Parker!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Let me give a high-five wing wave out to cardinals (the bird) -- I think they are dramatic to look at and even the females are pretty (which is unusual in the bird world). So there!

As for the game, I also don't have a dog in this hunt, so it's a machts nichts for me. Whatever.

But I did think that Jennifer Hudson did a magnificent job with the National Anthem. It's a tremendously hard song to sing, even if, unlike me, you actually can sing. Well, okay, I do alright in the shower, but the accommodations are not suitable to a Super Bowl crowd, if you get my drift.

I'm just about to embark on "the article" and I'm sure I'll be just as seething mad as I was when it was "news".

As for the so-called "interview" with Obama, I gotta tell ya, that guy has the *best* smile! Ever! He's a funny guy, and he is confident enough to be self-deprecating and enjoy the whole thing.

And there we have it.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | February 1, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Lace up pants and button fly jeans-some old looks are worth preserving.

That was a very pretty drive.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Raysdad says he's going to go to Walmart and buy a crystal ball.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Lycra-fest??? Give us more, CP, give us more.

I may not have gotten the memo. In that Verizon commercial, am I supposed to know what the *&%$# a G-3 network is? And am I supposed to want one? Have one?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Far be it from me to be critical of your transcription and editing skill, 'Mudge. I am dur far many more times than I care to admit. I have lots of school work to do and am kind of driving by the game in fits and starts. Pretty good, at this posting, an unusual thing for a SB. Especially the Xleee one.

Posted by: -jack- | February 1, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

punt return,,,yeah

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes Virginia (and MD and the rest of the Boodle), we have a game.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we do. For a few minutes there I was thinking otherwise. But it's game on.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Hyundai, e-Trade, nbc--all meh

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you frosti...Jenny gave me some goose bumps...lovely rendition

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Hyundai? Eh.

E-Trade? A few chuckles, particularly from NukeSpouse.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

CP, what's your thoughts on Warner's outfit? Do you think that bright red top is really his color? And the white pantaloons -- so hard to keep clean if one is falling down all the time.

And some of those portly fellows, wearing such tight clothing. What *are* they thinking? Shouldn't they be wearing solid colors instead of striped?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Those e-trade baby commercials creep me out.

Should've had that.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Jack, Re: your 7:28, did you have your figures on the wrong keys?

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Madden: "third and forever"

Um

WHat does that mean

Let's get a women in the booth already

Cheese

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

bc notes that was the best redition possible in a studio.

Up? OK.

Bud Light again? Eh. Or Meh, depending on if you ski.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

At last a movie I actually might want to see. I'm such a sucker for Pixar.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

At last a movie I actually might want to see. I'm such a sucker for Pixar.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes indeed, we have a game.

Ben really DOES need Warner's arm.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

*holding me breath to cure the hiccups*

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

H&R Block? OK

TeleFlora? OK! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

football fashion sense?

only on the Boodle

ha

You guys make me laugh

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice car, Jay.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

bc says that probably WAS Jay's Cobra.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Some borderline late hits on Warner.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Cheetos? Yep.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Cheetos--not bad.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

cheetohs,love their current campaign.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I haven't actually watched a SB game in years. I usually just record it to fast forward through the game to watch the commercials. and here I am watching the game and boodling and missing all the commercials

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

BUT WHAT IS THE FLAG???

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

WOW

I mean.

WOW.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for the Cardinals but that was an amazing play. Was he in?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, if yer gonna be the Defensive Player of the Year, LIVE THE PART!

And I say he landed on Fitzgerald's legs, he's in and it counts.

And bc vouches for me saying that LONG before the commentators.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

James Harrison runs like James Brown

Madden needs to retire

What

INcredible intercept run back

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

But the run wouldn't have been successful without a coupla chops and a face mask.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I say again. WOW.

A 14-point turnaround on the last play of the half.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Just hypothetically speaking, mind you, but can anyone guess what might have been a really, really lousy time to go to the bathroom?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Put Alex in the booth....

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

poor mudge

From my non HD small screen, it looked to me like his knees were down before the ball crossed the plane

But I was conflicted cause I didn't want it to be a TD, but also it was one for the record books,

so GOOD JOB Harrison

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Boodling in 3-D!!!

Three-D Thumbs UP!!

*LOL*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

At least you didn't miss the play, 'Mudge, but bc is sorry about your couch...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Give me a mike

I'm a butthead

on another note I think Warner should have thrown it down

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I second and third that Wow Scotty!!!

One heck of a play and then what a run back.

WOW

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Scotty. (Poke him in his other eye for me.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I see Sprint is cutting back.

NFL Network? bc and I didn't know McFadden had no calves...

Heroes? Cute!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Heroes commercial made me laugh

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

bc notes tickets for the Verizon show go on sale tomorrow at 10 (he thinks).

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

bc thinks Clarence is dressed to play for the Cards.

Who's on the sound board?????

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Calfa dressed up for the event.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

All three of us said the same thing:

OWWWW!

In the inimitable words of bc, "A lens to the nads? Not fun."

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Born to Run, of course.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

My god-- I think he's out of breathe!

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Kitties!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

The fireworks are a particularly nice touch, as is the choir!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The horns are great. But a robed choir??

Posted by: -pj- | February 1, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

RD_P, are you watching the Puppy Bowl again?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that's not the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington.

Although the buckskin fringe is giving me second thoughts.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

OK, the Boss is allowed one cheesy moment. *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

OK, gotta say it-- love the referee and the delay-of-game penalty. The Boss and Stevie do meta-humor.

And the Disneyland crack-- too much!

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Did NBC HAVE to re-run the Beijing footage at that point?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Just fer a sec....

Patti Scialfa looks great and Bruce sure has the energy, although I was worried there for a moment that he wouldn't be able to get back up when he leaned back.

Also,what's with the "Hail Mary Pass" bit. Seriously, don't muck about with the lyrics to classic songs just to score cheap points with the crowd.

Did I mention Patti?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Glory Days, that was great.....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

That was fun! When was the last time Springsteen played four songs in 12 minutes?

Posted by: -pj- | February 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

is that LIz C. I see in the front row...

Just kidding

I hope she doesn't read this,,,surely deserving of a smack up side the head

I have to say that was the best half time show I ever watched

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

OK, Toyota really jumped the shark with that one.

Overstock? Eh.

Universal? Eh.

LMAO. Cute.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Freightrail... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh, now it's all reruns... *sigh*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Disregard my 8:25... Obviously the local affiliate spot times...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Quick! Check out this Wiki entry about Bruce before they change it.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Damn! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Springsteen

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't see it, Maggie...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

OK put Andrea in the Booth

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

So much for Boldin's shoulder...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

BROOOOCE RAWKED!

My wife thinks it's a little dangerous for a guy his age to be doing knee slides across the stage.

The "What time is it?" "Boss time!" bit is a throwback to very early in his career. There's some spontaneity (even if it was probably well-rehearsed) for you, Liz Clarke.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

the ref tackles a card...is that fair?

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

This is what I saw.

Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen (born September 23, 1939), nicknamed "The Boss", is an American songwriter, singer, musician, and former Nazi soldier. He has recorded and toured with the E Street Band. Springsteen is widely known for his brand of heartland rock infused with pop hooks, poetic lyrics, and Americana sentiments centered around his native New Jersey. He married Barack Obama at a bar mitsvah.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Coke? OK.

Bridgestone? YES!

Denny's? Eh. Free Grand Slam? OK!

Monster.com? OK.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

That Wiki entry also said that he was born in 1939. Surely that's wrong???

You know me: I know NOTHING about rock and roll; I had heard of Bruce, and some of those tunes sounded familiar, but....

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

There's some WikiVandalism on the Springsteen site involving homophobic slurs among other things. check the history pages if you need to see it.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

They caught it REAL quick, Maggie.

From the Bridgestone ad -- "Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt." HAH!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

It's impressive how quickly Wikipedia corrects crap like that.

Posted by: -pj- | February 1, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Bud again. Eh.

Witch Mountain? OK.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Pretty neat trick, Holmes. Face-mask the defender, and have the call go against the defense.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

All the late hits on Warner, and they call THAT?

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I loved that Bud history of the Clydesdale horse. Some of you may remember that I once told the story of my mother, who was all dressed up and asked my father how she looked. He said she looked like the lead horse of the Clydesdale parade. Some thought that was cruel, but it wasn't at all, in my house. That was humor. That's all. She set it up, and he delivered.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Parker is indeed fast.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

This is a great Superbowl party... will you please pass me the buffalo chicken dip, frosti?

I'm rooting for the Steelers. I rooted against the Cardinals for too long to be able to start backing them now, even though they're no longer in our division. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I just talked with Yoki... she's settling into her new pad and is giggly with happiness. Yes! Yoki is giggly! Tee hee hee.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Ummm... Rain/snow forecast for tomorrow evening. Thoughts on the BPH?

Horrible penalty. Either way.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

dr... this is what we use for popping popcorn in the microwave. We've had it for years and use it nearly every night, too. No need for oil and the popcorn pops just right...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

what the heck is a four point penalty?

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Marvelous news, TBG. I'm so glad things are working out for Yoki, it's her turn.

I'm not a football fan, but it's on just above my computer, so I look up every once in a while. I caught the interception at the end of the first half.

Posted by: slyness | February 1, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Yah.. the BPH may not be a good idea tomorrow night. Rain turning to frozen rain turning to snow expected.

How about NEXT Monday?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to exit the fashion commentary: doglet and boy moving...

Ok: Frosti -- 501 and 504 straightlegs. BUTTON FLY: I had a pair until baby 3....sigh, sigh, sigh....will need to try to find a pair. Remember them new? Remember when they became perfect? I knew them as dungarees long ago and far away.

Mudge: I think that with lycra, some of the linemen need trusses to keep themselves from spurting over the tops. But really, we should be honest about what happens to these players later. Walking diabetic bombs, to say nothing of knee erosion.

About the sheen of lyra, well just too Vegas a look for the gridiron. We should develop a matte lycra jersey knit that would look flat like classic cotton/wool garb.

Hey, do the quarterbacks have notes cribbed on their wristlets?

And, I HATE the white jersey....I know it means "home" but white shiny lycra screams cheap prom queen or has-been pole dancer.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

TBG-I'm just about in a beer/bulgogi/brownie coma but I think I can just manage to pick up the dip and pass it to you.

career builder-good one

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

He meant that instead of a field goal, the Steelers might get a touchdown. Thus four additional points.

I don't mean to make trouble in any single-TV households, but PBS is starting "Sense and Sensibility" in two minutes.

...and you know how devoted the Boodle is to Austen sports commentary.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, CareerBuilder sure got their money's worth there.

Or not.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

nothing like a 16 play drive ending in points.I believe that was the game there.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

maybe Wilbon got it backwards

instead of pitt 21 to cards 20

it'll be cards 21 to pitt 20

[fingers crossed

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

OK, THAT was cute, Coke.

So we'll push the BPH back a week?

Frosted Flakes?

Conan?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Three generations and the stupid Clydesdale still speaks with an Irish accent?

Dr G's dad was an ad man for Anheuser-Busch. Just thought I'd point that out. No real reason, I guess.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

CP, re wristlets: yes. Tom Brady has about six hundred pages of stuff on his.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I will try to look at the sideline garb....used to be the Members Only crew.... had the Eagles been successful, then I would have been about to see twins. Friends of A.Reid from high school and mine from college. They are on the line as "honorary" docs fore major Philly games. Those two always look like REI adverts, with a touch of SoCal cool...

And, love the refs in classic B/W vertical stripes, always. Interesting that prisoners sport the unflattering horizontal stripies.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

CqP-never much cared to wear button fly jeans, but on Mr. F (where are my smelling salts). Truth be told the only reason I joined the army, and stayed so long, was the eye candy and the odds.

Totally agree on the cheap sheen of today's football uniforms.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

That was an *adorable* coke ad.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

oh ok, I guess it really is clear now that I'm not a regular fotball watchier

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good SuperAd there.

Still not sure what Turturro was thinkin'...

The Comcast turtles are getting old.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Frosti, laughing on that. More sports garb of the era: Cute boys in 501s and wearing baseball 50/50 3/4 sleeve jersies....long ago and far away....earnest, shiny, tender youth.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Yanno, John Turturro really needs to find himself a movie where he plays a straight, non-neurotic, non-crazoid male lead. He could be an interesting hero type. He's a terrific actor, of course, but I'd like to see him in something where he's the good guy.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

s'nuke-at least you got comcast turtles, we were treated to some local commercials of the 1960s quality, yet not quite terrible enough to be good.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Cheep sheen? So they are made by Charlie instead of Martin?

Posted by: -pj- | February 1, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Baseball caps became de rigeur sometime in the last decade whatever the sport and they work, I guess. Very American look. Berets? Too Frenchie. Driving caps? Too Brit-fob.

I fear the return of the track suit....see a few of those....and, the track suit is back on campus in a retro PUMA or Adidas way....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Our condolences, frosti. bc was wondering if Madge is still soaking people in Palmolive.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

my weather page says an overnight of 34 and a hi tomorrow of fifty

are you all looking at Tuesday's weather forecast?

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

CqP-your fashion memory amazes. I haven't thought of those 3/4 sleeve jerseys in forever, but one mention and it comes flooding back. A look from our youth that isn't cringe inducing.

Summit Pale Ale up the nose is very painful, thanks pj.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess I should mention that we're watching about 20 minutes delayed on the Tivo. Nice to know which commercials to watch and which ones not to worry about. Thanks for the commentary!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

It's tomorrow evening that's the issue, omni. Rain/snow mix and falling temps.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

PJ -- splitting and spitting with laughter....

hey Mudgey-BC-LiT-GWE: does the shiny lycra make for less turf burn? I could accept the functionality.

Some of the Steeler-staff wearing grey sports vests. Like that much better than the full track suit.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

TBG, as a certified Irish-American, I think that Clydesdale accent is Scottish.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

now if the cards can stop trying so hard and stop penalizing themselves...

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I know nuthin' about lycra, so can't answer. I'm so old I'm still into cotton Oxford shirts.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

The remake of the Mean Joe Green Coke commercial was pretty good.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

The fair catch signal is the arm ABOVE the head, Mr. Breaston.

OK, CokeZero and Cash4Gold hit those out of the park. "My gold hip replacement!" *LOL*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Just discovered Mike Tomlin is a Newport News native and William and Mary alum. Whoda thunk.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Makes sense, Maggie: Clydesdale is in Scotland. Kinda weird that one of the biggest horses and one of the smallest (Shetland) both come from such an odd place.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Frosti, want to start a line of 50/50s for our generation BUT reverse the color combo: dark on the body, white on the sleeves. Flattering. And, I find the 3/4 sleeve and collarbone neck flattering.

The bad thing about the classic 50/50 is that my brothers ALWAYS sported mustard or chilidog stains on the body. The Babe Ruth league park was near the world's best chili dogs.

Some Yahoo on the Cards' line is wearing the biggest cargo shorts on the planet. WHERE is my citation pad! I am, ahem, the fashion police.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

To the young lady in the Taco Bell ad: run, run fast!

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Good idea, Vizio, insult potential customers.

Taco Bell... Eh.

GE got a little giggle out of bc for zapping the crow.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a lot of fun. It's probably the first super bowl I've ever watched. But I don't understand why so many advertisements are so lame when the costs are so great.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

You just knew Fitzgerald was going to get a jump ball in the end zone.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, awesome TD catch!

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

when the pitts made their last score they all looked so happy

like this game is ours

now they look a little worried

GO cards

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Hulu, try again.

Joe Cocker's gonna sue somebody.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I still have no freakin' idea what hulu is, but the Alec Baldwin ad was hilarious.

Like the Joe Cocker ad.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Sack! Sweet.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Or Joe's gonna get a big fat check.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

omni, this game ain't over. Every time I get out the tiara and start buffing it up, I gotta put it back.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

It's a game!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Golden oldie from GE.

Pepsi is officially retarded, according to NukeSpouse. I concur.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Pepsuber? Spare me.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

That Pepsi ad had a lot of promise, but it takes more than a few mullets and '80s fashions to make something funny, not just funny looking.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Arizona's going to win! And they're covering the spread, more importantly.

Posted by: joelache | February 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, the pitts are worried

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

So is Ike Taylor, apparently...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was the world's dumbest penalty.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

oh yeahh

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure all these ads were made by 13 year old boys. Not that that's bad!

Posted by: joelache | February 1, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I was attmpting to tie my 9:36 to my 9:34, of course.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey, the "other" Boss (the real one) is here! Hey, Boss!

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Worst. Ads. Ever.

The game is actually better than the commercials.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Dave Mason write "Feelin' Alright"? As I recall there are only two chords in that song.

Posted by: -pj- | February 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

So, some of the sleeves have elastic in them. This is to make sure they stay put. However, ladies, do we tell them?

Sure. Real men are very secure about their bone fides.

Elastic makes for puff sleeves.

That is all. The androgyny move continues unapaced. I predict pink lycra within 20 years.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

The game has gotten "chippy"? What the hell's "chippy"?

Another dumb penalty. In the first half it was the Cards with stupid penalties. These guys are loosing their cool.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh My Godesses!

Switching to PBS and the S&S rerun....

PUFF sleeves are iconic on the empire-waist gowns...

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Half a yard is half a yard, but Mr. Harrison did himself no favors with that Ike Taylor impression.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Hi Joel! Hey... can you go get me a beer?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Safety!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

"Bone" fides?

No, I'm not touching that one. You're on your own, CP.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

How do the zombies look, CquaP?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The game just turned TWICE.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Un. Be. Liev. Uble.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

The cardinal says "Look HERE, look HERE, pretty pretty pretty."

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 1, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone mentioned tonight that Pittsburgh has the hottest coach in the NFL?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

this is intense

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to the football game, but you guys are way more entertaining than the football.

I'm thinking about watching Sense and Sensibility on dvd. Tight pants and poufy shirts, you see.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 1, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Al Michaels is SO lucky he enunciates...

Mr. Rooney has his jacket off, indeed...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

What are you going to do? Turn off your TV *and* your computer?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

The Steelers had this game. You have to give a great credit to the Cards' defense, which was supposed to be the weak link on the field. They kept Pittsburgh out of the end zone at least twice.

Posted by: -pj- | February 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

can I say WOW again

WOW

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

See my 9:45. Twice. Maybe three times.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

There's your MVP.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!

How did that happen

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Sharing lap top with CPBoy. He just took a call from a gloater. Boo hiss on the red guys.

Somebody is wearing suspenders in a sky box. Looks ominous and wealthy.

The Steelers look to be more bearded than the Cards. The Cards might win in the hair Olympics....

must return the laptop to boyness...

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Fitzgerald's dad is a sports writer for the Strib. There'll be rejoicing in Mn.

Also, Sen. Klobuchar is at the White House super bowl party tonight and gave Pres. O a copy of the book her dad wrote about the Vikings.

It's terminal, I've caught the MN "we matter too" disease.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

TBG-we have not yet discussed Tomlin's hotness, but it should be mentioned.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

ok. stealers are in hustle mode and am starting to worry again

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's the beard, but doesn't Tomlin look like Foreman on House?

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Bud Light, OK.

GoDaddy, meh.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

You guys have to watch more SNL... that MacGruber bit is a regular skit and one of my personal faves.

We all laughed OUT LOUD at the Pepsuber commercial, especially since MacGyver was actually in it, too!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

O. My. God.

I couldn't figure out why Holmes didn't go out of bounds. But he was trying to score.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

That's it Raysmom! I've been trying all night to figure out who Tomlin looks like, thinking it was someone I know. He's a dead ringer for Omar Epps (Foreman)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nellie again!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

TBG -- praying Hail Ms for Hail M action.

What do we call that cute thin beard action on Tomlin? Note: Does not work on most palefaces...

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Okay, now I'm a fan. I SO want the Cardinals to win.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, if the Pepsi people were banking on people having that context, TBG, I'd say they failed.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, I think maybe *that's* your MVP.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I submit, proof of the Mother of God's existence!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

hoe did he miss that

incredible game

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

It'll be reviewed, but it's in.

Or is it?

WOW.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Hate to disagree TBG. SB ads need to stand alone, like the hulu ad with Alec Baldwin. Mudge doesn't get hulu, and Mr. F doesn't know 30 Rock and couldn't pick Alex Baldwin out of a lineup (unless I reminded him of Red October), but they both thought it was funny.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Game over.

I have to agree, Scotty. If you have to explain the joke...

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I believe this Super Bowl has set a new record for WOW moments.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

SCC-Alec

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 1, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a lot of noise in that stadium for a Super Bowl? I thought Super Bowls were dull uninteresting duds.

Maybe its a new era.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 1, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

OK, so perhaps Ben doesn't need Kurt's arm.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Concur, Scotty. A few years ago I did a study and discovered that about 70 percent of Super Bowls are snoozers. This ain't been one of them.

Incidentally, I have thorughly enjoyed live-boodling this whole thing with all you guys and gals.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Even with having to buy a new couch, 'Mudge?

And yes, I agree completely, this has been a great night, no matter who you're rooting for.

I was rooting for the ball, BTW. Nobody ever takes the ball's side, I dunno why.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

VImP question: does Ben R have a flat tire under the protection device? And, he really needs a nickname of one or two syllables.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

If Tomlin looks like Omar Epps (and he does), Dick LeBeau looks like Robert Mitchum.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

One for the other thumb.

Wow.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I saw the amazing 100-yard interception-to-touchdown. Then a lot of moving around, but no change in score. Then we went home from the synagogue's SB party. Now, the WaPo home page shows 27-23, compared to 17-7 when we drove home. I'm guessing that something has been happening?

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 1, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I must say, that after attending only 2 football games in my life, that game might make me a fan. Sorry for the Cardinals, whom I never heard of before they made it to the super bowl.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

People that don't watch SNL aren't the target market there. I thought it was okay, but not fantastic.

I spent six hours this morning on Hulu watching most of the second season of Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. There are enough terminators running around LA to form a softball league team. It helps the eye candy quotient that two of them are Shirley Manson of Garbage and Summer Glau aka River Tam from Firefly.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Holmes: 9 catches, 131 yards.

The Cards certainly gave them and us a much better game than anyone expected.

Scotty, nobody roots for the ball because everyone knows its on spheroids.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

congrats to Curmudgeon. The 2008-2009 football pool Boodle winner

wear that imaginary Tiara proudly

that was a very incredible. on the edge of my seat game

But the Commercials still Bit

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout dem Steelers.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 1, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the Steelers won, given how the Cardinals stomped the Panthers in the playoffs.

G'night, everybody.

Posted by: slyness | February 1, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Namath is presenting the Lombardi award?

Who's he gonna wanna kiss this time?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

YJ dearest:

People WHO are addicted to HuLu hooping.

Balls THAT are on spheroids.

RicO -- the Clydsdale thingie and the Cromartie name are both Scottish...sheesh on the peeps who mix up Irishers with Scottishers....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Joe N is very thin...hope he is OK....or a spokesperson for Nutra System...

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

OK. Rooney is the suspender man.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

And last before bed for me

Mudge has it exactly right about that Liz article on Springsteen

Myself... never a Fan of the Boss (but do appreciate his music and understand where it comes from

but also totally know where she (Liz) writes from.

yellojkt. rethink. you are completely wrong

well, maybe not completely wrong, but really off base on this one

Wish me some Zs

Posted by: omnigood | February 1, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

People WHO watched SNL last night saw three Pepsi-MacGruber ads.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Nice that Namath took a moment to talk to Lebeau on the way to the podium.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Rooney is a dead ringer for my departed grand da....candy floss white hair and everything....suspenders, too.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Omni, sweet dreams.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

'Night, omni. You were nipping at my heels all season long. I'll have to see about diddling the shop steward's budget for a runner-up tiara.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Santonio's MVP.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Vr.Gd., YJ. A for the day.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd say that was a pretty good game as super bowls go!!

Congrats to the Steeler Nation!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

So sorry about the Irish/Scottish mixup. I should know better. Shame on me!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

TBG -- forgiven....truth be told, upsets the Scottishers much more than the Irishers.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | February 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

CP's right, TBG. You can do penance by kissing the Haggis Stone. Or picking a four-leaf Blarney. Whistling Trixie. Singing a rowsing verse of "Danny Girl." See heather upon the hillside, and telling her to get her butt home before curfew. Having a tot of John Farleycorn. Or something like that.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the virtual Super Bowl party everyone. Toodles.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 1, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I checked the history for the Bruce Springsteen stuff, you can find what they removed.

Here's one example:

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 1, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering if that was the best SB ever. Maybe. Definitely up there. Though wasn't there a Steelers/Cowboys game in the 70s that was 35-31 or sumpin like that? Two dynastic teams? And last year's game was pretty great, too. What with that catch.

I'm also wondering if I can admit that I thought PepSuber was funny. I may keep that to myself.

More in the morning...Thanks everyone for the live-boodling of the big game.

Posted by: joelache | February 1, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Ah, so the Steelers won? They were 3-0 in the first quarter when we walked out on the super bowl party. *burp*

I thought that was kind of a really huge lead-- no wait, that's hockey--

Nice to know a new day of joy is dawning on the East.

And I think the Cards should call themselves the Roadrunners. They need to start defying the laws of physics more.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 1, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

slyness and jumper: My bro was in the local CPI spot commenting on the virtues of protecting your home, while the bad guy was trying to sneak into the house through the doggie door.

Good game, for a change.

Posted by: -jack- | February 1, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Big Ben drops in on the SportsCenter crew unannounced! And the pros they are, they drop everything and fit him right in.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

'Night, Boodle. Thanks. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 1, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Most daring (printable) bird team name we'll never see for football:

Tomtits.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 1, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Complete with the Gilbert and Sullivan cheers, of course.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 1, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that was a blast and congrats to Mudge and his tiara winning season.

There will be no living with my bosses for the next offseason.

Oh well, what next? Lacrosse season?

night boodle

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 1, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

More daring than Cockatoos, Wilbrod?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

College basketball, gwe.... that's the important sport in our house right now.

Go 'Heels.

Watching the special one-hour The Office. Excellent show.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 1, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Exclaimed he, "titwillow, titwillow, titwillow..."

Can't you imagine that as a cheer?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 1, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I laughed out loud during the fire drill when that woman threw her pet up into the overhead tiles to save it-- and it fell through two tiles away.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 1, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm afraid to ask you what your cockatoo cheer would be, Mudge.

Also, what's wrong with The Arizona Cockatiels, if we're going cockneyed in our bird names?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 1, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Missed the Cosmicbowl in its entirety, but so fun to read you all's comments on plays I didn't see.

I have to say, I just did a little Mary-Tyler-Moore "Yes!" and a sort of Snoopy-ish happy-dance to be here.

'Twas a good move, and a right decision, and I'm all overcome and vapourish with delight. And very tired, so will climb into a very large and soft and warm bed with many fluffy pillows, and see you all tomorrow.

Hope everybody's team won the reallybigbowl.

Posted by: Yoki | February 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Here's the *word* on the superbowl ads according to the New York Times.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | February 1, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

And the NYT is on drugs too, Maggie...

They LIKED the CareerBuilder piece? *twirling finger @ ear*

*mainlining-coffee-as-I-stagger-off-to-the-flight-line Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 2, 2009 4:59 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. I see fun was had here last night. Congrats, Mudge. I saw that WOW play by the Steelers. Fantastic!

I guess the President can say " I told you so" this morning, and last night.

Yoki, glad you're in the new digs. I hope you got some rest, and most of all, peace of mind.

Scotty, Martooni, Slyness, and all the gang, good Monday morning. *waving*

There's a prediction out that we just might get some snow this week. Along with that prediction is that it's not going to stick or hang around long. I truly hope so.

I read the piece yesterday about Zimbawae here at the Washington Post. The reporting was good, but the situation there is awful. According to that piece, a lot of hope in our new President. Cholera is killing most of the population, and what's left is being killed by their ruler. Inflation and hunger getting the rest. I don't know the answers. Can the UN get in there to help with the cholera? It sounds as if the man in charge has gotten paronoid, among other things. He's denying that there is a problem. Clean water is needed to stop the disease and medicines. I don't understand the mindset of this man that rules the country.

It's as if he would rather the country go down in flames than to try and save the people and the country. I'm sure this isn't limited to a country in Africa. I'm getting a scent of it here. Why would Rush Limbaugh say he wants President Obama to fail? Does he seriously want the country to fail? Where's all that patriotism from the last eight years? Or is it two separate situations?

Perhaps he's telling the public that while President Obama has been elected President, it doesn't really mean anything. Perhaps what he's saying is that we're still in charge. Your election is null and void in the sense that "we" still rule. And is this "we", Rush, or Rush and those that buy into his politics? Even if one felt that way, why speak it aloud? So where's the difference between Zimbawae's ruler and the mindset of some of our citizens?

Maybe it's a man thing?

Have a great day, folks, albeit Monday morning. Need to walk, have a lot to do today before the snow.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | February 2, 2009 5:51 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Can't Boodle long, but wanted to wish everyone a Happy Groundhog Day.

Happy Groundhog Day!

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 2, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

This just in: the wife of the Man in Joel's Basement was (a) a hottie who was (b) 5 feet tall and (c) owned a pair of FMPs. It's all here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/01/AR2009020102023.html?hpid=topnews (Well, the Post says she was a hottie. I'm not so sure. You'll have to look at the new portrait and judge for yourselves.)

Glad to see Scotty's up and recovered from last evening's bacchanal. (One wonders if bc made it home all right or did Scotty just throw a blanket over bc's unconscious, wimpered-out form where it lay in a fetal position in the corner.)

Also glad to see that Yoki's move appears to have gone well, and she did her little Mary Tyler Moore hat toss.

OK, there's coffee and bagels in the Ready Room.
Let us away!!

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 2, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Ooops! There's Cassandra up already, and bc, as well.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | February 2, 2009 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Am I too late for Dawn Patrol?

Instead of being on the train to work, I'm here with an ice pack on my hip. Got no farther than my back yard on the dog walk this morning. The last 10 feet of the hill was ice and woops!

Posted by: Raysmom | February 2, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Good morning and happy Monday, everyone! Looks like the groundhog will see his shadow here, for what it's worth. A busy week is ahead of me, so I'm in the ready room and will be done with breakfast shortly. Then, on to the day!

Cassandra, forecast is just for rain here, I'm glad to say. Looks like there will be plenty of snow in the mountains for Mr. T to enjoy when we go up on Friday. Maybe I'll agitate to take the truck. It has 4-wheel drive and is six years older than my little RAV.

Okay, everybody out of the ready room and on the flight line!

Posted by: slyness | February 2, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

mmmh? Is it morning? Let's see, there are still chips and dip left, so I didn't eat them all. But the two hard lemonades are completely dry. Must have been some bender I was on.

Calling in 'sick' for Dawn Patrol. I'll be in the 'ready room' praying if you need me.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 2, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. It was a good game. But the ads? Boring.
(ads are hijacked on Canadian networks to show the usual boring stuff. A couple of Bud ads made it though.)
The sun is up. Cool.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 2, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom

Ouch. Hope you didn't knock anything out of place or break something? Take care, and take it easy.

Slyness

Maybe we'll have rain too. I'm hoping that's the case. I don't know how to deal with snow, except staying in. Time to dance.

The Republicans are talking this is a spending bill, so it's a waste of taxpayers money, yet they have no problem with wasting taxpayers money at the those Wall Street suck machines. In this bill, at least the taxpayers get the money, don't they? And if the bill is bad, why don't they offer an alternative? Where's their plan for the last eight years, and who brought us to this point? Somehow I don't trust the folks that brought us here in the first place to get us out of this? If they have the answer, why wasn't that answer used before we arrived at the point we're in now? I can actually feel the steam coming out of my ears.

And if someone doesn't get Mitch McConnell off televison looking like a sour lemon, I'm going to be without a television by reason of some appliance landing in the screen! Give that man some sugar, quick!

Posted by: cmyth4u | February 2, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

*faxin' Raysmom soft pillows and Advil* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 2, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, as Einstein said, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Thanks for the Advil, Scotty.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 2, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Yep, the Super Bowl was one of the greats. I'm actually sad that one of the teams had to lose, since I think both were amazing.

Oooh Raysmom. Not fun.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 2, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I had a great time lurking here during the SB. The game was great, the ads, not really. The ‘Deadly Force’ article made me very sad and very angry.

Busy week ahead work-wise. Raysmom, take care, I did a similar thing a few years ago, it was painful.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 2, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I wish I knew a computer expert. I'm still experimenting with IP# direct-to-IP# transfers. Not because I have to, just for fun. Trying μtorrnt now. yello, any desire to help my test?

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 2, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodlers!

Busy running errands today, before it starts raining.

Yello--many thanks for the review!

Posted by: Braguine | February 2, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom,
That's how I broke my ankle a few years back. Dogwalking and ice don't mix.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 2, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I've only heard about firewood from fellow-woodstove user gwe. Looks like we are the only ones. I've been back in the routine for days now. Out to the woodpile every 2-3 hours, except at night. Load it up late, then damp it down so I'll have something still going in the a.m. I can tell you poplar splits and dries easy but is not very energy-dense. I'm working on the hickory, and renewing my umbrage at the guy who pushed my oak last year off the edge of the abyss with his bulldozer to "help" the neighbor (who didn't even own the property, it's part of mine)

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 2, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow - check out the chartmanship displayed here. It's like watching the whole game over again in a convenient graphical form.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 2, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom... OUCH

Posted by: russianthistle | February 2, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

That was one of the top 5 Super Bowls. My wife was about to leave the house just before half-time because she could barely stand the tension, then came the 100-yard INT run-back. She was about to leave again in the 4th quarter when Fitz put the Cards ahead. Ah, ye of little faith!! FWIW, I think Big Ben should have gotten MVP. Santonio was great, but someone had to get the ball to him, with 35 seconds left.

Posted by: ebtnut | February 2, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps overlooked was Warner winning the NFL's Walter Payton Award. Convienient that he was there to recieve the statue.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 2, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom, hope you have escaped with nothing worse than bruises. No fun, falling on ice.

Posted by: slyness | February 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Brag,
You're welcome. I wouldn't praise it if I didn't like it.

Jumper,
Sounds intriguing, but I would have to do that from home. Not something I want to play with at work. I know we have a few more IT savvy boodlers than me. My skilz have been deteriorating since I've quit my bootlegging habit.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 2, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

What's up next? Curling season of course.

It finishes just in time for the hockey playoffs, and the start of baseball.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 2, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

As far as the BPH goes, did we agree to postpone a week?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 2, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse