Unwanted Cars

IMG_4489.JPG

From Harold Meyerson's column this morning he writes:

"If the emblematic image of the Great Depression was that of Americans lined up for bread or living in urban shantytowns, the signature image of the current collapse is the acres of Japanese-made cars gathering dust in the immense parking lots abutting the Los Angeles and Long Beach harbors."

I took these photos when I was covering the astronomy convention in Long Beach. I think these are Toyotas. In the wide-angle shot you see them by the thousands in the middleground.

IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

[Photos by J.A.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 18, 2009; 6:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trick Question for Palin
Next: NASA and Europe Team Up

Comments

I want the red one on the left.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 18, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Those are Lexus IS sports sedans, Lexus being a Toyota brand.

As much as I'd like an IS-F V-8 hotrod with the 8 speed semi-automatic trans, I think I'll take a manual trans 2.5L V-6 with the sports suspension and leave it at that.

Not that I can afford either...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 18, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Another new kit?

Posted by: yellojkt | February 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The kits seem to be out of chronological order. Oh well.

Yoki, do not the Girl Scouts or Girl Guides of Canada sell cookies in late winter? It's a major fundraiser in this part of the world, and has been for at least a couple of generations. I remember boxes being a quarter a piece when I was a Brownie, some fifty years ago.

Posted by: slyness | February 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

How'd I miss this Kit?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

They do, slyness, but I don't like cookies so I have never purchased any.

Posted by: Yoki | February 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The current port parking situation seems unprecedented, but even in normal times, there's lots of cars. I used to live in Jacksonville, a big car port.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 18, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

slyness, I sold cookies for 50 cents a box--does that mean you are twice as old as I am?

*I'm a little rusty on my word-problem skills*

Posted by: kbertocci | February 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse